Training camp notes, Day 4

Plekanecweb

Tomas Plekanec skated with his teammates on Wednesday for the first time during the Canadiens training camp.

Plekanec had been listed as “day-to-day” with sore ribs – an injury he incurred while playing for Kladno in the Czech league during the NHL lockout.

“It’s good for him to get a couple of practices under his belt before we start the season,” said coach Michel Therrien, who believes Plekanec will be ready for Thursday’s intra-squad game at the Bell Centre.

Asked about playing with Canadiens first-round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk, Plekanec said he has a lot of talent and works very hard.

“He came over to me before practice today and said if I saw anything that could help him he’d appreciate it,” Plekanec said.

Last year was a tough season for everyone and Plekanec wasn’t different from the rest of the team, Therrien said.

With a healthy lineup and having Gionta with Plekanec, Therrien said he was sure the two would be able to help each other.

“There was no stability with (Plekanec’s) linemates due to so many injuries the team had to face last year,” Therrien said.

“But he’s a guy who can do a lot of things on the ice. He’s a really smart player.  He can play against top players. He can play on the power play, penalty-killing.  I really appreciate that type of player. And again this year he’s going to have a crucial role with us.”

Five players have been called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs for Thursday’s two-period intra-squad game at the Bell Centre. (Admission is free … for more details about what the Habs have planned for fans this weekend, click here.)

They want to simulate an exhibition game as much as possible, Therrien said. He also felt it was important for players to have a game at night before starting the season.

“It will be structured hockey,” the coach said.

Bulldogs defenceman Jarred Tinordi was one of the players Therrien talked about after practice. Tinordi was the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick in 2010 and one of four Bulldogs players invited to camp.

“We are very pleased with his development,” said Therrien, who mentioned among other things Tinordi’s excellent speed.

“He’s constantly improving.”

You can hear what Tinordi had to say after Wednesday’s practice below:

(Photo by Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press)

1. Boomer says:

Everytime I watch Jones play I see the skill, no doubt. But I can’t help think of that old Larry Robinson story
    Q:”How tall are you?”
    Larry: 6’4″
    “START PLAYING LIKE IT!”

• Haborama says:

Dave Schultz, Louis Sleigher, Ken Hodge, Mike Milbury, Bobby Schmauntz, and Dale Hunter would strongly disagree…..

• Chris says:

Seth Jones has **NOTHING** to gain by playing physical hockey in junior. Why get involved in scraps and risk injuries when you’ve got a top-3 draft pick waiting for you?

I’ve watched countless talented junior players just go through the motions on the defensive end and in the physical department throughout their OHL careers.

Daniel Girardi was pretty soft here in Guelph…if you told me he was going to turn into a gritty shot-blocker in the NHL I would have laughed you out of the room. Matt D’Agostini could go into the corners with eggs taped to his bodies and come out without breaking any. Malhotra was the softest top-10 draft pick I have ever seen, and now he is a defensive specialist.

Anybody that bases too much on how a guy plays in junior is just delusional. Scouts look for talent and skill to match physical gifts like excellent speed, agility, size and vision.

Jones meets the bar in most of those categories. He’s got great size, is a fantastic skater for his position, has some offensive flair and he’s quite mobile. You can coach the other stuff, but you need the raw goods.

• Boomer says:

You seem to be of the mind that we are saying Jones will never develop a more gritty style. Playing a more gritty style doesn’t just mean taking liberties in between whistles or fighting. And you say we are basing too much on how a guy plays in Juniors. How are you going to Project a player, which is what scouting is all about, if you don’t evaluate his abilities and tendencies at the junior level? I don’t understand your post, nor some of your opinions on scouting players (from earlier posts). I respect you, I hope this doesn’t come off as an attack, but I don’t understand.

Edit: Did you mean that eventually a player may change his style of play after leaving the juniors? IE jones may become a more physical player after leaving Juniors?

• commandant says:

Jones just reminds me so much of Jay Bouwmeester in junior… the great size, the smooth skating, the offense and shot, and the unwillingness to ever throw that big hit.

I think Bouwmeester could have been a better player than he is… and I think Jones will turn out better than JayBo. But i just can’t shake the suspicion that he’ll leave me wanting more at the NHL level.

I’m not asking him to fight in Junior. But there is no reason why he can’t throw his weight around on a guy trying to go wide, or in front of the net.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

2. habstrinifan says:

I watched first two periods of prospects game. I think Seth Jones stock will rise again…compared to McKinnon or Drouin.

3. jols101 says:

Anyone else notice MacKinnon is looking large out there. He looked smallish at the beginning of the season but i think he had a growth spurt.

4. Haborama says:

is Erne or Mantha at the game??

if so how r they doing?

First trade to take advantage of wealthy teams keeping salary.

• nunacanadien says:

Vs Geoff Molson and his predecessor’s band aid contracts which have hampered the habs. Maybe it is time we just suck for a long time, and then by attrition get real players. But then you get the laffs who are trying to do that for the past 40 years.

5. Haborama says:

three things

1. is it just me, or does my homie JT looks like a real badass in that clip.

2. Is Nuna off his meds again??

3. someone a few threads ago mentioned that the Canadiens were in a position to trade for Wendal Clark using Shayne Corson, but backed out at last minute. wow. stupid. stupid. stupid.
    I wonder who in the management at that time was responsible for that mess. My car is gassed and my shotgun is loaded, all I need is a name.

6. frontenac1 says:

@neumann. “Hot Bunking at the Special Hospital”? Jes*s Chri*t , now I am frightened.

7. jols101 says:

I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted the big Russian D on team Orr. #65.
    Mobile for his size and age and loves to throw some heavy hits.

8. L Elle says:

Bridge contract is appalling to some,
    appalling to some, appalling to some,

Bridge contract is appalling to some,
    appalling to some, appalling to some,

Build it up with gold bars,
    gold bars, gold bars.
    Build it up with gold bars,
    My fair PK.

Build it up with coin and term
    coin and term, coin and term

Build it up with coin and term
    My fair PK

Take the deal and lock him up,
    Lock him up, lock him up.
    Take the deal and lock him up,
    My fair PK.

9. Bill says:

This Manti T’eo thing, on the heels of the nauseating sex assault and suicide scandal, officially makes Notre Dame’s the most dysfunctional athletic program going.

Full Breezer 4 Life

10. Boomer says:

Subban’s having a tough one tonight…

11. frontenac1 says:

Hey Bri! Its also on TVASH . You can thank me later Amigo.

Mike McPhee outcoaching Cherry!

13. Boomer says:

nice hits by zhadorov

14. 24moreCups says:

Not sure if this is been asked but, how many of you guys/girls are gonna be going to the scrimmage tomorrow? And if you are what time around will you be showing up?

15. frontenac1 says:

@Burly. Unless of course,he really is Boone. Then by all means, Crucify the bugger. Saludos!

16. Boomer says:

I just got home. I missed the first period. The highlights look like Rychel had a good one. I miss anything?

17. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Michel Therrien seems like a completely different coach from his first stint round. You can tell hes matured, has a plan he wants to execute, brushes off the media, I wasnt so kean at first, but after watching and lsitening to him , I think Pittsburgh made him a much better coach, and its looking like a very good hire.

Also is anyone doing anything to send a message to the league this saturday night? since everyone agrees this was all the owners fault and had nothing to do with the players at all whatsoever, then I think we should cheer on our players and BOYCOT the concessions, I mean 10 bucks a beer anyway!

18. 24moreCups says:

So Del Zotto signed a 2 year 5.1 Million dollar deal with the Rangers, and didn’t he have better number then Subban last season?

I know Subban had to be our number 1 defense man last season and I’m not entirely sure the role that Del Zotto played with them but I guess Subban wouldn’t sing for that amount money.

From what I heard he wants Doughty money, not sure how true that is tho. I just wanna get Subban signed already so we can move on.

• Boomer says:

Yea I posted that link. I don’t think it’s true but “If” it is, that is just ridiculous…

• 24 Cups says:

I don’t think Del Zotto or Kulikov are in the same class as Subban. There might be another RFA Dman but I can’t remember who it is.

• Bripro says:

Del Zotto had better numbers on a more offensive team.
      But Subban blew him away on mins played.

• Talik Sanis says:

Giradi, Mcdonagh and Stall did the heavy work. They had more ice time and/or more difficult matchups than did Del Zotto. If Subban had two other high quality defensemen in front of him, responsible for shutting down the Malkins of the league, and was free to be as offensively minded as Del Zotto, we could more readily compare their simple statistical output.

It’s not quite the same, but look at Kaberle and Gorges. Kaberle was on pace for a forty-five point season with us, but very few people would argue that he is more valuable, contributes more to a team’s success, than Gorges. Kaberle was never counted on, and should never be counted on, to play a difficult role; he was a power play quarterback and got to play against third-liners.

19. JayK-47 says:

What ever happened to that Telio/wjc/hockeyinsiderr/Mike Boone guy?

20. frontenac1 says:

@Bri. Prospect game on Sportsnet. The hate on for nuna today is due to some posters saying that nuna is really Boone in disguise.It is a possibility.

21. jols101 says:

Is that Mike McPhee or Mr. Burns coaching Team Orr?

22. Bripro says:

OK well, I just finished work, and I’m scrolling.
    PK’s not signed yet, right?
    Someone made reference to 2 years $9.5MM?
    What is that?

And, what is all the hate on Nuna?
    What did he say this time?
    I can’t find his comment? (not that I’ve looked very hard….)

I would like to think no one has hate on for nuna Bri. Just some ribbing. Sportsnet Top Prospects Game, Mike McPhee is coaching team Orr.

• Habfan10912 says:

Nuna reminds me if one of my children when they were young. What’s that? How come? Why? Who said? Are we there yet? ……. After awhile it wears on you. I think he wore on some today.
      Edit: you work too hard. :)
      ———————————–

• nunacanadien says:

Hey the truth hurts when you finally see that the Wizard of Oz is just a fat old man with a loud speaker….welcome to the Adolph Coors Habs team boys….

Mike McPhee sure looks different without that trademark mustache.

24. jols101 says:

It’s very early but Seth Jones looks like a man among boys out there. So much skill plus the size. What a total package.

25. HabFab says:

Dave_Stubbs – Major preseason Q&A w/ #Habs Therrien will be linked when online. My full interview in video form on hockeyinsideout.com around 11 pm ET

26. HabFanSince72 says:

This is either frightening or interesting for us Montreal sports fans.

Seems Tim Tebow is out of options in the NFL. Where does a stellar in college QB who can’ make it in the NFL go to?

The CFL of course.

And who owns his rights in the CFL?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

27. Habfan10912 says:

Am I silly for hoping Team Cherry gets a too many men penalty tonight?

———————————–

No, but I am really hoping they don’t have Nick Kypreos or Doug Maclean with a microphone on. OH no I just saw a Microphone hooked up Nick. I may have to listen to music while watching the game.

At least Mike McPhee is coaching Team Orr.

Go Orr Go!

I’ll try once again in terms of the Zajac contract.

Zajac is a good player, not a great player. He is 27 and coming off an injury shortened season (although he was great in the playoffs). What would be a good comparison? Pleks?

Now Jersey gives him an 8 year contract. Yes, he should be pretty good until 35 but there is no reason to bet the farm on a guy like this. He’s no Stamkos for crying out loud. The comparisons to Gomez’s contract are just too easy to make. I won’t even mention how this team totally screwed up the Kovalchuk and Parise contracts.

Am I on the owners side? Gimme a break. I feel I can see both sides of the equation, in terms of pros and cons. I just find it a bit laughable that even before the season has started the first contract given out is the same old, same old.

I realize the players took a hit by going to 50% (which was a given)but it won’t take long for them to eventually win this new CBA battle (assuming there is continued growth in the game). The owners didn’t really win many other important concessions and whatever ground they made up will quickly be pissed away by their GMs.

Have to remember the same idiot owner who pressured Lou to sign Kovalchuk just convinced banks to keep lending him money so he could own the Devils. Just last year he was missing payments, then the Banks realizing the Devils are worth less in foreclosure lend him more money. So what does he do? Tells LL to start spending other peoples money all over again.

Terrible owner, terrible contract.

I think you are bang on Steve.

• HardHabits says:

Bettman and Phoenix’ days are numbered.

• HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness he is getting 5.75/season – just a tad more than Plex.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s the eight years that I worry about. Both Zajac and Pleks are 2nd line centres, why give Zajac the sky and the moon?

It’s all these little bits and pieces of shitty and/or over the top contracts that add up.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree. The other thing is the Devils might be worried that they can’t attract free agents. A bit like Gainey was after the Sundin fiasco/saga.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• The Jackal says:

Brrr… still gives me shivers, in a bad way.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• commandant says:

They don’t add up though…. Escrow ensures the players never get more than 50%.

An overpaid Zajac can only screw one team, and thats the one that signed him, because his cap hit will be too much for his value.

It doesn’t screw over other teams.

In fact its paid for his fellow players if he’s overpaid because it drives Escrow up.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Phil C says:

I agree with you that New Jersey overpaid AND gave too much term, but I don’t see how this hurts the owners financially, as they can only spend to the cap, and will not give the players a penny more than 50% of HRR. This just means some other player on New Jersey gets paid less and some journeyman third liner will be cast aside in favour of a less talented call up who they can pay less.

This type of move mainly hurts them competitively. Not being competitive could lead to lower revenues, but lower revenues also hurts the players share, so a lot of the owners’ risk is shared with the players.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I wonder how much input Lou had with this contract. This is Gomez like overpayment.

29. dano58 says:

Here is my take going forward for cap space and player dollars. 1st line players ave $5mil 2nd line players ave $3.5 mil 3rd line players ave $ 2mil 4th line forwards only ave $1mil goalies total dollars 8mil for a total of about $63.5 mil. Not much left for spare parts or if you give someone too much above the ave for their roster spot. Remember these are only averages but a GM would do well to use some form of system to manage the cap. I am sure someone has a comment on these so have at it. GO HABS GO!

30. frontenac1 says:

@rhino. Did you see how Pyatt withstood. repeated blows to the head with an elbow pad from Campbell in the Boston Beatdown and got up got up under his own steam? He is a tough little Hombre. Meanwhile that puke Gomez was caught on camera smirking and chatting! Adios Gomez!

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Bought out players ought to forfeit their salary from the previous team if they sign for a new one.

Just like when your ex remarries.

I never really hated Gomez. If you want to hate there are a lot worthier candidates. Putin. Berlusconi. Chara. Piers Morgan.

But if that smirking lazy scam artist gets an extra salary this year I will truly hate him.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

Why the hate for Putin?
      Or are you just another Free Pussy supporter?

• Mr. Biter says:

Free Pussy! Where?

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• ed lopaz says:

Putin is a Fascist, that’s an easy one.

Why the hate for Piers Morgan – that one is interesting considering how liberal Hab 72′s positions usually are.

Please explain, ’72

• HabFab says:

Couldn’t post one without the other now could I :)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Piers Morgan is an absolute scumbag. He was the editor of one of the worst British tabloids. He was involved in phone hacking. For example he hacked into Paul McCartney’s phone and recorded conversations between him and his wife as they were splitting up.

He’s a nasty obnoxious amoral human being.

I know nothing of his politics. That he’s opposed to widespread ownership of assault weapons merely labels him as sane, not left or right.

He’s good friends with Rupert Murdoch however so unlikely to be that much of a liberal. Not that it matters.

And my positions are not so much “liberal” as sensible. On every issue. You know that.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

I had no clue about his past. thanks for sharing. since he’s arrived on CNN there is not a single right wing position that he has endorsed.

you tend to bat left handed as well.

moderately left I would say.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Politics is extremely unimportant and uninteresting to me. Somewhere between the weather and the filmography of Gwyneth Paltrow.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

@ed – definitely not a saint. He didn’t tap Paul’s phone but one of his reporters. Has a string of questionable doings but looks good on TV…all that is really important ;)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Nah I won’t hate Gomez. He’s just a not good hockey player. That’s no sin.

And there’s no point in hating Scotty when people like Lance Armstrong still have supporters…

See what he did to Betsy Andreu and Emma O’Reilly:

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• 24 Cups says:

Piers Morgan?

• HabFanSince72 says:

I guess you guys don’t know him that well. He is in America because everyone in Britain loathes him. Because he worked in UK print his sins are not widely known here.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• 24 Cups says:

OK. I thought you were on him about the NRA battle, an issue that I happen to agree with him on.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Of course but even though I agree with him the sanctimony is grating. He deliberately invited inarticulate loons to make himself look intellectually and morally superior.

Well done Piers – you pwn3ed a guy who thinks kindergarten teachers should carry machine guns.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Listening to Ian Pulver I get the impression Gomez may indeed lead some team to the Stanley Cup this year. His stats appear irrelevant as all I am hearing is that Gomez led teams go to the playoffs and have great success.

• Habfan10912 says:

It’s was the system after all?

———————————–

Seems so, afterall as we have learned in our discussion today, agents represent nothing but the truth. GM’s should bow to them and grant them what is requested, Mr. Pulver clearly is one of the best agents as he got Scotty the contract in question and Glen Sather is a great GM, he has Cups to prove it. :)

Gomez agent Ian Pulver on Primetime Sports now, saying chances strong Gomer plays again this season.

You’ve heard of scroll-o-matic. Well let me introduce you to nuna-o-manic. Stop reading all those tired ramblings and shaking your head trying to make heads or tails out of the disturbed diatribes of a tortured soul. Get the whole synopsis in one easy to digest but understandable format. No need to pore over so many nunasensical ideas that reaching for the Smith and Wesson appears logical by Mr. Spock standards. Here’s an example. I assure you it will sound much more coherent than if you pored over every sentence yourself.

The habs with a captain that
    actually did better than
    the Gauthier theory of scoring
    In order to win
    a significant hit
    vs what other NHL teams score
    screams volumes
    that Patches can match.

All the habs need is
    to score more and defend
    to finish the season

Body language and words speak volumes
    without the benefit of offering anything
    for nothing
    if you could find any
    daycare nursery.

========

JB. Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiary.

35. Habfan10912 says:

In the interest of fairness here us Notre Dame’s statement on the TiO hoax.

36. Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t say it enough, the bottom two line are looking perfect, especially if Galchenyuk stays with the team and bumps Bourque down a notch.

Moen-Eller-Bourque
    Prust-White-Armstrong

Beautiful!!!!

That 3rd line is a great line with a good mixture of size and skill (for a 3rd line) and the 4th line is what I’ve been begging for, going on years.

Weber, Diaz or Streit on the 4th line!!! Give me a freakin break! It was painful to watch! And Metropolit, Halpern or Moore, those are 3rd line guys or were at some point, they have their value but not on the damn 4th line. And pussies like Pyatt and all the other jokes we’ve had on that line, I wanted to shoot myself.

A 4th line’s job is to dump the puck in the corner and crush the defenders face into the glass when they go and get it. spray snow it the goalies face. Cause faceoffs in the other the teams end after holding the puck in there for a shift. And Fight! Create some emotion. Stick up for the stars. Not skate around like Swedes and Finns having a damn tea party in December.

Thank you Therrien, thank you Bergevin!

If we had Subban signed and a couple bigger bodies on defense you’d never here me complain again.

Pay attention people, these guys are going to build a real tough, good all around team when all is said and done.

• solomio says:

Unless Eller and Bourque step it up a notch or two and play up to their full potential that line is slow with no goal production.In tandem with that 4th line there’s a disaster waiting to happen. I want to see that PAW line play hockey and fight when needed only.They don’t have to be head hunters. I think all 3 have hockey talent and can be productive if allowed to be.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• Hobie Hansen says:

Twitter:

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu

A third line of Moen-Eller-Bourque facing other teams’ third lines and third pairings could net the #Habs some good production this season.

• solomio says:

Like I said….Unless Eller and Bourque step it up a notch or two and play up to their full potential that line is slow with no goal production

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well, that’s you misguided opinion. First of all Eller is NOT slow and he’ll pot 20 this year. Bourque was injured last year and has scored 27 goals on a couple of seasons. Moen is gritty, and can also move for a big man and bury some goals.

Hate to say it dude, you wouldn’t know a good 3rd line if it bit you in the ass.

No hard feelings.

• solomio says:

And No Reply eh Hobo uh sorry Hobie.
            For your vision to fructify Eller and Bourque will have to step it up a notch or two.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“dump the puck in the corner and crush the defenders face into the glass when they go and get it. spray snow it the goalies face. Cause faceoffs in the other the teams end after holding the puck in there for a shift. And Fight!”

You do understand that the objective of the game is to score more goals than the opposition?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup, that’s what lines 1-2-3 are for.

And Armstrong and Prust know how to find the back of the net.

I’m just commenting on what Bergevin has put together here. Have you not been listening to the Habs management state that one of their main goals is to get tougher?

I know it hurts being wrong the last couple years on this site and you’re upset we’re actually putting a tough team together. It’s only just begun as well. Wait until Tinordi is in the lineup!

You might want to move onto another team that uses the smurf philosophy now cuz those days are dying in Montreal.

• Harditya says:

I agree that Tom Pyatt was not a physical player, nor did he have slick hands but he wasn’t a pussy. The guy took punches on the face from that prick Campbell and bled for the team. He knew he had no chance against him, yet he fought because our team was getting their asses whooped. I’ll always respect him from that.

• rhino514 says:

You are salivating due to the size of their muscles. Moen is no third liner. Bourque could be ok but he could also be terrible.Prust is a good fourth liner, but the team listened to the muscle-obsessed commentariat apparently and paid 2.5 million for a fourth liner.
      Of course someone like Pyatt, who goes and scores twelve goals as soon as he leaves montreal, and is a modern era Doug Jarvis, is a joke. People around here prefer guys who can fight and show off their muscles.
      Do you guys really think Moen and basically nobody, or maaaybe an 18 year old kid playing out of position are improvements over Camy and AK? Oh yeah, they couldn´t fight….
      Don´t get me wrongI like the team, they could even make the playoffs and i will be rooting for them, but Armstrong(!) and Prust come nowhere close to replacing the close to 50 goals we have probably lost on LW; They will be better because Markov and Gionta are healthy and the D is a year older, but I think the off-season acquisitions are being way over-hyped.

Rhino, you may not want to hear this but when Travis Moen won his Stanley Cup, the 3rd line of Moen, Pahlsson and I believe Niedermayer was considered to be one of the best 3rd lines in all hockey.

You MUST explain why Moen is not a 3rd liner, as history proves otherwise.

• rhino514 says:

I like Moen. I like Prust. I even kinda (well, not sure) like armstrong, but…..they are all fourth liners!
          People are excited over off season signings of two fourth liners, and number 6 Dman (BTW I like Bouillon…but he´s a number 6 Dman!)
          Moen can play third line for stretches, as a fill in for injuries, is responsible defensively, but he has stone hands. He´s good for 7-10 goals a year. I really think he´s a good fourth liner but a below average third liner on a really good team. Eller, if he is going to blossom, needs someone who can convert his passes. Moen´s not the guy. Eller isn´t strong enough at this point to carry guys who are so-so offensively.

OKay, all I will say is your expectation of a 3rd liner is completely different from that of mine then.

• rhino514 says:

I just think that Eller can put up 40 points if things break well for him. If Bourque is comfortable on RW he could go back to notching around twenty goals. So if you had a guy with comparable offensive skill on LW, then you would have an awesome third line. Sometimes, if you have two players with some skill, but the third player isn´t on their level, it can bring the whole line down, as the other two guys are ok, but not quite strong enough to compensate for the third guy. I fear that´s what could happen with such a third line. Almost better to have just a grinding third line of Moen, Prust and a centre with less skill but more physicality than Eller, if you are going to go down that road.
            Imagine what that line would look like with AK on LW, which is where we had him last year! You don´t have to be a championchip team to have productive guys throughout your third line; proof is we were a sh%ty team last year and had AK who is both physical and can put the puck in the net. Not regretting his loss (i believe we got Collberg with that pick?), just saying why not try and have all three guys with some offensive punch (instead of signing guys like Kaberle; and, yes, I would rather have Gallagher´s or a healthy LL´s heart on the right wing over Bourque for 3 million less, but that´s another story.

37. frontenac1 says:

@timo re/AC. It really is quite amusing when they get going on a topic and Bergy gets excited , then Tremblay pushes his buttons and really sets him off and then sits back and laughs at him. Occationally Stock gets slammed and everyone rejoices. Damphous is the only sane one and Gaston Thierrien Is the wall paper. Try getting hammered and/or buzzed before you watch it.

LOL – great comment on TSN site

11 mins ago

I bet Gomez and Redden kickback a couple mil each to Sather.

39. twilighthours says:

I used to love nuna’s stupid, drunken ramblings. Now he is just getting annoying.

40. commandant says:

Mick’s Northeast Division Preview.

And don’t shoot the messenger (I’m only responsible for the photographs in the piece, not the predictions).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

41. frontenac1 says:

@Timo. Only when Le Tigre backs him up.Hope he’s back from Florida.

42. commandant says:

Off topic, but you guys seriously gotta check out this Manti Te’o story.

WTF

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

43. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Thomas Plekanec days as a hab over?

Next season the cap will be adjusted to 6 million dollars less. A tough predicament for teams already at that ceiling. The Montreal Canadiens helped their cause by burying Scott Gomez cap hit of over 6million; however, they still need to sign young blue chipper, P.K. Subban. This places habs GM Marc Beregevin in a difficult position. Assuming Beregevin signs P.K. in between 4-6 millon dollars, that will leave very little wiggle room to sign RFAs David Deharnais and Ryan white , both in search of pays raises over the less then million dollars they each make this season. There also remains Yanick Weber, the undersized swiss defenceman is a movable peice, and an attractive bargaining chip as he as well is the teams final RFA currently on the team. Weber’s game is also very similar to Rapheal diaz. One problem you can bet bergevin will solve by seasons end, perhaps shipping both young players and making way for the habs future pairing, Nathan beaulieu and Jarred Tinordi.

With a forcast of a cap space around 2-4 million for next season, and 3 rfas on the team looking for a big raise, its hard to imagine this team not sheding some salary. could plekenecs defensive value and veteren leadership be attractive to other teams, could MArc beregin pull a magic out of his hat and trade away talented but unmotived players like Bourque or kaberle, well hes going to have to. Perhaps shipping plekanec now and letting Lars Eller or Alex Galchenyuk get their chances could put this team in a more stable postion to sign RFA and UFA for the next few years to come. Bergevin certainly has options, maybe seeing Markov moved or even Captain Gio all possibities must be thought out in order to keep the nucleous together and get ready to go a stanley cup championship run.

• commandant says:

5 million dollars for your second line centre, who plays against the other teams top lines, is not too expensive… nor should it be where you are making payroll cuts.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Loonie says:

If he had seen the opposing teams’ top lines last season I would agree. He didn’t. He’s still our #1 centreman in my opinion, though he shouldn’t be counted on for that production.

$5 million for him may not be too much but we’re creeping very close to the point where he’s expendable.

• Talik Sanis says:

Who do you believe took on the toughest matchups?

Plekanec faced first-line competition. At times, as with a game in Detroit, as I recall, Lars Eller took his place, however he was inferior in the role. On average, both based on opposition time on ice (first line forwards get the most icetime) and on the more traditional (if, to some, suspicious) shot-based measures of competition, Plekanec faced top opposition.

The above graph is somewhat misleading, as Camelleri should be around Plekanec (as I recall), but is on the Flame’s chart due to his being traded. Gionta would be closer to Plekanec as well, I’d wager. Shot-based metrics attest even more strongly to Plekanec’s role; only Ryan White faced tougher competition, but this is only due to the fact that his stats are skewed by his limited number of games.

44. frontenac1 says:

@habillis. Well, we have the Two Swiss tough guys ,a guy with a funny mini stick,and a guy taking a powder.The D looks fine to me. Saludos amigo!

45. frontenac1 says:

Thierrien is on L”Antichambre tonight? Nice! I hope he rips PJ Stock a new one!

46. frontenac1 says:

@donmarco. I say its Diaz that drops the Mitts first.

47. Trisomy 21 says:

This tweet’s a little old but when I heard how fast tickets are selling here in Calgary I remembered this.
    Eric Francis (@EricFrancis)
    BREAKING: League dispels rumours every NHL rink will feature a message in the ice reading: “Welcome back…suckers!”

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m a bit late coming to the party, so if someone can confirm/clarify whether this belated tweak to the dual buy-out options in the new CBA, which will mean that any bought-out players/Gomer shall be allowed to play this year for another team/league, while We still pay his pro-rated salary for this season

…does this mean Gomer is off Our books for next season whether he gets injured or not ?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…good news, and thanks David

…though, if the thought of paying that amount of money to Gomez while possibly seeing him playing against Us this year burns My craw, think how much it must be burning Geoff Molson’s …ouch

• D Mex says:

The only thing that might be worse than paying him to play against us is paying him to play FOR us :-)
          ” I saw the shot, there was no risk, I took it ”
          - Tom Cruise, Top Gun

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Habilis says:

I hear that. I forget who it was, but one of the network panelists made a joke about it last night. I’m paraphrasing, but something like “Scott Gomez’s reward for playing awful hockey for the Canadiens over the last few years is not only his full salary this season and 2/3 next year, but also the chance to earn a second salary somewhere else.”

Goofy.

• To be fair, it’s his reward for playing well enough for long enough to signed to a ridiculous contract. I get the panelist’s point, though. : )

• Say Ash says:

We’re doing the same with Armstrong. It all evens out.

• myron.selby says:

If I understand it we have to pay his full salary this year and next year. This year he is a 6.4M cap hit but there is no cap hit for next year.

Well I guess the Zajac extension proves the lockout was a waste of time for the NHL and that the players are well on their way to winning their 2nd lockout.

50. donmarco says:

So, who’s the first to drop their gloves for our new tough team? I say Prust, within the first 5 minutes. Thoughts?

51. habfanacrossthed says:

Can MB just trade Subban for Yakupov or Bobby Ryan. Let’s forget this diva and move on. Get the most you can for him on a trade, top 10 pick awaits. Habs have plethera of dman coming through the system.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• Habilis says:

Who replaces Subban’s minutes on D? Markov? Are you really willing to bank the season on Markov staying healthy and being effective?

• bwoar says:

Markov, and Diaz for now.

“thoroughbred”

• Habilis says:

For now maybe. But over 48 games in 99 days? Do the Habs have a shot without PK? Barring a quantum leap in Diaz’s game or a return to the pre-injury Markov, I don’t think they do.

• solomio says:

Do you really think the Habs have a shot?

• Habilis says:

In a 48 game season, with PK in the lineup, I think they do have a shot.

• habfanacrossthed says:

Regarding minutes being replaced. MT would come up with a plan for that. Maybe I’m just frustrated with PK’s stance. Sure he has tons of potential. The guy misses shots wide of the net all day long. Definitely not worth Drew Doughty money!

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• Habilis says:

I don’t think he’s worth Doughty money either. But if you look at it objectively, he is still a very good hockey player. He’s worth 5 to 6 million over 6 or 7 years in my books. Considering the style of game he plays and the amount of ice time he gets, I cannot blame him for wanting a little financial security. He really has earned that.

• solomio says:

He’s played 2 years!! You think he’s earned something in that time ?

• Habilis says:

He led the Habs in minutes played last season. He was a plus player while doing so. On a 28th place club. He plays in every single situation, most of the time against the other team’s best players.

Yeah, I think he’s earned it.

• Talik Sanis says:

As a matter of statistical fact, Subban is very good at getting shots thorough to the net (I make no claim about blocked shots, only missed shots, as that is the crux of your argument). Belief otherwise is merely the product of confirmation bias combined with the fact that Subban is, for a defenseman, so good at generating shots. We think that an inordinate amount of his attempts miss simply because he takes so many. This is true as an absolute number, but not as a percentage of shots taken.

• Kooch7800 says:

Yakupov would be an interesting discussion. We would feel it for the next couple of seasons while we wait for our young D to develop but would help our offense long term.

We def are not as strong in offense in the future as we will be in D.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• The Jackal says:

That would be a huge mistake on the Habs’ part.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

52. JoaquindaPark says:

Vote here: Do you think Galchenyuk and Gionta as wingers for Pleks are improvements over Blake Geoffrion and Aaron Palushaj?

Like I posted before, PK is on his way to Montreal.
    He left on Friday morning and is just now arriving in Point Claire.

The tire that was flat at the service station in Belleville on Friday seemed to have held up so far. He should be in Brossard by mid day tomorrow, in time to get on the bus for the inter squad game.

He had better hurry up because Malcolm wants his 10 speed bicycle back here soon.

54. Sportfan says:

52 points last season for Pleks a guy who had a revolving door of line mates. I am glad that he’s healthy and hopefully has the perfect line mates to be with.

55. Mustang says:

I just had a terrible thought, what are we going to do if………heaven forbid……….the Laffs pull off a win on Saturday night? I guess the first order of business will be to hang Therrien followed by a call for P.K. to be signed no matter the price.

• ed lopaz says:

Therrien is so far up the derrieres of RDS and all the francophone media, I think he will be here for at least 4 or 5 seasons.

Bergevin and Therrien will get 4 or 5 seasons to build winner.

• Mustang says:

But isn’t it traditional for someone to be skinned alive (not literally)after a loss to Toronto?

• Sportfan says:

A loss to Toronto would suck, but right now a loss to Boston is much worse.
          As a few people I know always say at least the Leafs are from Canada haha I know its terrible.

• nunacanadien says:

But it’s sad when we finish what 29th out of 30 teams in ranking? For once the laffs actually did better than the habs, which is sad to say…..

• jrshabs1 says:

you spend a lot of time your computer nuna. Remember computers are tools not life partners. What pick would rather have…Galchenyuk..or the leafs very soft #5 pick Reilly? Do you know the lad has only 5 penalty minutes all year? Last year was the year to place behind the leafs. Nobody’s sad about that.

Go Habs Go!!

• SPATS says:

On the other hand, if (and most reports seem to indicate this) the teams new chemistry is really coming together and we wupp leaf butt, maybe TPTB will decide they don’t want PK to upset the new apple cart with his gregarious ways. With the Tinordi talk, and some other up n comers, I’m thinking the culture has changed and TPTB want team guys first (not that PK isn’t a team guy) but he’ll always be a lightning rod with his play and his trash talk. The CH brass have had enough controversy.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• Andy and the habs says:

Relax mustang, we will win the first game. This Saturday’s mission is to end the unbeaten streak for the maple laughs.

• solomio says:

Pretty sure the Leafs have owned the Habs recently. It’s not a stretch to think they can be victorious on Saturday

The Als are in trouble, Trussman gone to the Chicago Bears! They have lost all their good coaches to other clubs the past 3 years.

57. PeterD says:

Fans should send MB a message on Thursday night during the game by chanting “PK, PK, PK”…loud and demanding MB get a deal done with fan favourite PK Subban…this would be a great gift to fans post lockout.
    Let management know at the game that we as the fan base are not happy we don’t have this exciting player back on the ice.

• bwoar says:

The dumbest thing MB could do, and the surest way to get himself run out of town, is to pay attention to the most fickle fans in hockey when making decisions.

“thoroughbred”

• donmarco says:

I’d rather we all congregate outside PK’s house and chant MB MB MB to show him we’re on the team’s side and don’t appreciate being held for ransom.

• Mustang says:

However, we the fans don’t know what his agent is asking for. I would like to see P.K. signed but not at any price.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I think that would be a terrible idea. We’re hearing rumours, and really don’t know what’s up with these negotiations, but it seems likely Subban wants too much for what he has accomplished so far.

So we should put pressure on MB to overpay him, and hobble the team capwise for the next few years?

The contract garbage of the NHL is not our business as fans, and the less we involve ourslves in them, the better.

• CanadienBoy says:

The best think that could happen will be to win without PK and with Diaz Emelin and Weber all year older and already in game shape PK could be in for a surprise and don’t write of the experience of Bouillon that was not there last year with Markov

58. donmarco says:

Devils just signed Zajac to an 8 year extension. Didn’t the new CBA limit them to 7, or did it change at the end? Good signing by the Devils, either way.

59. darcy1 says:

Is boone going to do a play-by-play tomorrow as part of his “pre-season warm up” ?
    :-)

——————-
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”
    - Jean Beliveau

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in the realm of what’s possible, though not quite probable, I wonder what the ‘conversation’ will be in here IF Gomer plays this season in the Eastern Conference (NJ Devils ?), scores 70+ points, and is paid $ 8 million plus (90 % covered by Our Habs)

_________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Theme Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to the Bell Centre !!!

…and, last, but not least: Go Habs Go !!!

61. Habfan10912 says:

Ben and other Junior hockey league experts, who should I be watching tonight in the Prospects Game?

———————————–

• scuba says:

I’m no expert but MacKinnon and Drouin will be playing together so that should give them an advantage in a game where everyone is thrown together. I’m excited to see Seth Jones in person and I am a fan of the Quebec power forwards Gauthier, Mantha and Erne. Don’t know as much about the non Q-league guys.

62. shiram says:

Everyone seems to have personal bits of information on Subban lately.
    Turns out I too have some of that personal information, but I’m not letting it out.
    Not that it’s of any importance really.

63. sulham44 says:

Any chance the scrimmage will be streamed online?

• von says:

I was wondering about the same thing. Or perhaps RDS?

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

64. donmarco says:

While I am happy Pleks is back, why is no one in management addressing the critical situation of his turtleneck supply? This makes PK’s situation pale in comparison. No pun intended.

65. nunacanadien says:

I wonder how many goals we need to score to outpace Price’s goalie history….you know the Gauthier theory of scoring 2 goals to win a game cause Price is only gonna let in 1 goal per game. In order to win we’ll need to have our defense score more. Losing Subban will mean that we get what 10 or 11 less goals this year? That is a significant hit to take considering this team which is almost the same as last years did not score often.

Cole was great but honestly leading the team with 35 or so goals vs what other NHL teams score on avg…Cole would be an average player on any other NHL team.

That screams volumes Geoff Molson. What high scoring winger have we signed?

It’s great that Patches can match Ovechkin’s 2012 stats, but honestly we need someone who can score and assist all the time. Cole and Desharnais are what ranked at 49th and 58th behind some other not bad names like Krecji and Rick Nash.

All the habs need is bigger size, one or two high scoring offense and get rid of your small defense minus Desharnais of course, but honestly we need to score more and defend the second and third periods.

Inter-squad game on RDS.???? Thursday night.???

67. Habfun says:

Being from a city about an hour and a half away, I am calling in sick tomorrow and leaving at 10am for the Bell Centre.
    mmmm! hockey, beer, hot dogs, and le cage after. Life is great!!

It\\\’s all about the CH

• The Jackal says:

You’ll want to hit the road early, I think a line-up is expected, and apparently some people will be camping out overnight (somehow) to ensure a spot.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

68. Loonie says:

2 years, $9.5 million.

69. PanchoVilla says:

Been hearing that they Habs get 900K of salary relief by putting Gomez on waivers. Is this true?

70. scuba says:

Okay, everyone just calm down with the PK deal for the night and enjoy the Top Prospects game. Should be a great game.

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just in the nick of time for Myself James

72. VJ says:

That’s great news!!!

Maybe they can do something to help nuna

73. Habfan10912 says:

That is great news.

———————————–

74. habfan01 says:

great news- uh what was that about? I forget..

75. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m presuming this will take a bit more time to get into the marketplace

And I am drinking one of the fake Canadian brewed Coors Lights also in the same honour.

Not a true American brewed Coors Light like the owners of the Habs.

77. HabFab says:

Be careful! Nuna maintains that stuff is full of saltpeter… just saying!

Noted.

79. Habfan10912 says:

Well that explains a lot. :)

———————————–

80. REB says:

My religion requires the consumption of alcohol, preferably in the form of hops and barley. I am currently paying homage to a Foster’s oil can; its’ siblings are in the fridge.

81. JayK-47 says:

I just can’t get past how much she looks like #99.

82. ZepFan2 says:

I agree. She’s a butter face.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

83. Psycho29 says:

She gives me a Great One

84. commandant says:

I cant get past that she has the #99 tatooed just to the right and above her “five hole”… that would freak me out.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

85. JayK-47 says:

To me, it just seemed like some kid trying to find his voice and swinging for the fences on the Gomez stuff.