Training camp notes, Day 3

coach_001web

The Canadiens are midway through their training camp leading up to Saturday’s season opener against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Bell Centre.

“I like what I’m seeing of the team,” coach Michel Therrien said after Tuesday’s practice. “It’s starting to take shape.”

Therrien doesn’t plan to tinker with success. The team’s top line last year will remain intact. Erik Cole, David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty led the team in scoring and generated most of its offence.

There is “such good chemistry” that has developed on that line, Therrien said.

“As long as they continue to perform well and be productive, I won’t separate them,” he said.

Tomas Plekanec, who has sore ribs, was on the ice in Brossard Tuesday afternoon with Pierre Allard, the Canadiens’ strength and conditioning coach.

“He’s still day to day,” Therrien said, adding that Plekanec is feeling a lot better.

When the players practised on Tuesday morning, Petteri Nokelainen, who is recovering from a lingering back injury, skated alone on the other sheet of ice at the Brossard training facility with Allard.

Tuesday’s practice included five-on-five and shootout drills. Assistant coaches Clément Jodoin and Gerard Gallant also worked with players on the power play.

Mike Commodore practised with the team for the first time after passing his physical. The 33-year-old defenceman is one of four players from the Hamilton Bulldogs who were invited to camp.

Also, there were reports Tuesday that the NHL and NHLPA have come to an agreement on an “accelerated compliance buyout” before the regular season begins, which could be good news for Scott Gomez. Read more by clicking here.

Meanwhile, on the P.K. Subban watch, Don Meehan, the agent for the unsigned restricted free-agent defenceman, texted the following to The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on Tuesday afternoon: “we are not close to an agreement.”

If you are not one of the more than 22,800 people already following Stubbs on Twitter (@Dave_Stubbs), you can do so by clicking here.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. 44har48 says:

Just catching up here…wow…I could not agree more with “HardHabits says: January 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm”. PK needs to get off his high horse and get to camp with a contract. This is on PK and his agent, period. Sorry to say but you don’t pay a player because he is your best (on a bad team with poor defence), you pay him comparative to the rest of the Dmen in the league. His immaturity and potential need some time to pan out before I would give him the “big” deal. He is RFA for crying out loud, where is he going to go if he doesn’t sign and how is that going to help his future? The Habs have the upper hand here, it’s nice to have a GM that understands how these things work. :)

2. Mavid says:

PK will be gone because last year I bought one of those bench bleacher dolls..every time I buy something on a player..they are gone..it started with Roy, then Recchi, then Zednick..then Souray..last year I bought Camallari and Subban dolls …need I say more..sorry guys..I promise not to buy any more

3. frontenac1 says:

@Johnbellyful. I noticed that JB Enterprises is@KingstonPen. Please let me know if/when you are granted a Day Pass as I would be happy to buy you a cold drink and discuss this Scroll thing further.

4. Boomer says:

“IF” this is true please Someone SLAP SOME SENSE INTO HIM
    and then gently remind him:
    A: He’s NOT worth anything close to that kind of money
    B: HE’S NOT WORTH anything close to that kind of money,
    and C: HE’S NOT WORTH ANYTHING CLOSE TO THAT KIND OF MONEY!!!

5. Dulljerk says:

If P.K. Subban is not in uniform Saturday night, it is because he has been traded. If he is, it is because he signed a 3 year 4.5 million dollar deal.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

6. JohnBellyful says:

You know how, after a hard day’s work – ha ha ha, that’s a good one – you come home and sit down in front of the computer and log into HIO only to find there’s five new threads, and hundreds of posts, and you think to yourself: Do I really have time to wade through all those comments when Jeopardy comes on in 10 minutes?
    The answer’s no but you’re a conscientous HIO member and so you make the effort to find out what your fellow Hab fans are saying, all the while muttering: There’s got to be a quicker way to do this and still have time to catch the opening theme of your favourite game show.
    Well, now there is. The Scan-A-Scroll is a nifty little app that will whiz you through hundreds of posts is just seconds, while capturing the nub of what people are saying.
    As you scroll down the screen, a magnifying glass will enlarge the text – but only key phrases that convey the tenor, and to a large degree, the substance of the online conversation. No more spending precious minutes reading over and over again how Gomez sucks, Subban sucks, Therrien sucks, etc. Scan-A-Scroll will tell you at a moment’s glance the current mood and thinking of the HIO community. Leaving you plenty of time to get comfortable on the couch before Jeopardy starts.
    Don’t believe it? Here’s what Scan-A-Scroll was able to distill in mere seconds the essence of dozens of posts from earlier this evening. The results, you’ll agree, make clear what was on everyone’s minds:

Does this mean Gomez could screw
    Robinson’s jock strap
    or is MB seriously low balling him?
    The last time we traded a
    used tampon
    didn’t the NHL add a carrot
    The right thing to do would be
    to hold our breath until
    our best prospect
    turns out to be
    Aaron Palushaj
    P.K., on the other hand,
    shouldn’t be pointing the finger
    that ups his risk of injury
    I hope Bergevin does what’s best for
    Meehan
    He knows
    a journeyman back-up
    is just as good with the fists
    as Staubitz but we will see a lot more of him on the ice.
    We really need to ice 12 players that
    are now super stingy
    Nobody seems to be talking about
    Pierre McGuire
    drifting off into the abyss

To learn more about Scan-A-Scroll and the five easy payments plan, email JBEnterprises@kingstonpen.ca

7. Harditya says:

Guys freaking out here over Subban, what about Jamie Benn? Haven’t heard any rumours or talks of Jamie not wanting to sign with the Stars. Calm down, it will get done eventually.

8. Habilis says:

Ok here’s my last conspiracy theory for the night. Until my next beer anyhow.

What if, bear with me here, but what if MB and Meehan are both in on it? What if this is all a charade so that some team out there signs Subban to a long term deal? The Habs match in a heartbeat and then MB gets to say “We had no choice”.

Crazy? Yes. Ridiculous? Yes. But everybody would go home happy ;)

9. g says:

haven’t commented much on this for a while, but it’s not every day you get to see PK Subban practice. I’m a high school hockey coach, we had a game today at the Hersey Centre in Mississauga. As I’m waiting for my team to get ready to play I wondered to the next door rink. I found the Mississauga Steelheads (formally icedogs) practicing. two injured players were there with me, one asked me if I recognize a player (he pointed), and to my disbelief it was PK. They went on to comment on his fitness level and the fact that he is built like a tank. It was a high tempo practice with PK leading a few drills. very cool to see.

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

10. solomio says:

Come to think of it this Subban elite player status is a lot of malarkey. What do I remember about his play? That great hit on Marchand using his ” meet my back end ” move. After that his poor attempts at fighting that little rat Marchand, which I don’t have to remind you was a draw. Subban’s turtle act at least twice.His end to end rushes which ended up the same as the not forgotten Mr.Gome’s did, a terribly inaccurate point shot with a wind up like Big Ben’s ( in London not Pittsburgh ), his petulance, his wardrobe and his low fives.
    Bergevin prolly remembers the same things.
    Just because you play the most minutes doesn’t necessarily mean you are an elite player. It just means you’re not among the walking wounded, are young and may be the best player available at the time.
    PK should take the bridge or take off. He hasn’t proved an elite anything yet, although his mouth is leading the way.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• twilighthours says:

No, I imagine Bergevin is smarter than you.

• solomio says:

An old timer hockey defenseman smarter than me ? C’mon he’s prolly not even smarter than you!!

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

You also seem to be forgetting his game-tying howitzer in Game 7 against the Bruins. Minor detail, right?

PK is still developing, but he is a stud and anyone who can’t see it doesn’t know hockey.

11. db says:

There must be a team out there that doesn’t need the compliance buy out and that owes us a huge favour… cmon Dallas, take Gomez and buy him out for us! Speak to your advisor, it’s a good move.. we’ll give you our 6th rounder and Gomer for your 7th.

12. Propwash says:

IIRC, the team can only trade PK’s negotiation rights. If that happens, don’t expect much in return.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

13. Rudy says:

What am I supposed to wear at the Caps Habs game Jan 24 I have a Subban shirt which replaced a Cammalleri shirt!

14. bigjames says:

i love pk as a player. he has been on my favourite player list in my profile for a long time now. my family all proudly wear hhabs t shirts with his name on the back. but i am not happy about this situation. the team is in a condensed training camp and needs to come out of the blocks fast. we would all love to have him part of that but it is already too late. i do not know the inside story for sure (i am in hong kong, as far away as you could be) but i am extremely upset that, for whatever reason, we find ourselves in a situation where pk’s supposed teammates are busting it to learn the system and pk is in the gym. it is going to be hard for me not to accept that the player and/or his agent are holding out for too much something (time/money).

just my view and accept there could be alternate realities.

15. Hobie Hansen says:

Yeah hockey is back!!
    Oh our best player is holding out?
    Oh well there goes our season.
    Thanks PK!

16. Harditya says:

Not sure if mentioned earlier, but Claude Giroux has been named the captain of the Philadelphia Flyers. Great choice, but he was always the undisputed leader.

17. Habilis says:

In retrospect, should the Habs have used arbitration with Subban? Was that even an option? I’m fuzzy.

18. HabFab says:

SpectorsHockey – Would the #Canadiens match an offer sheet for PK Subban? Does a bear crap in the woods? #SillyQuestion

Can somebody explain to me the finer points of PK Subban’s RFA status? Is he or is he not arbitration eligible? If he is not arbitration eligible how many minimum years can the Habs offer him so that the next round of negotiations will still have him in RFA status?

I really don’t get the hold up. Can’t the Habs just make him an offer and he has to sign it?

At any rate, blaming Bergevin for either the Gomez or Subban situations is like blaming Obama for the state of the American economy. Bergevin inherited a huge mess left over from the past regime. I am willing to give MB a few years before I even begin to pass judgement. It’s no secret that I can live through another Tanked™ season, and would even welcome it, given that we just came out of an arduous and unnecessary lock-out and that it is a shortened season. No time like now to garner more high draft picks and expunge that the left overs from before the Bergevin era.

PK Subban was the #1 defence man on a 3rd to last place team. That he has talent is unquestionable. IMO he doesn’t have the maturity to be a leader in this league and I fear he has a higher probability of being a player whose antics could rub too many people the wrong way. He tries to do too much on his own and forgets what he is actually supposed to do way too often for my liking.

I’d hate to see him go but I wouldn’t freak out if he was traded. As long as the return was adequate.

I lay the blame squarely on Meehan’s shoulders. It is my opinion that Meehan is the obstacle here. Not Bergevin.

• punkster says:

23 years old Dave…23…too early to speculate on his leadership abilities or to imagine his “antics” are any more than just youthful exuberance…I’d give a talent like that time.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Habilis says:

I think arbitration was only possible for a limited period of time following july 1st. What I don’t remember is if PK was eligible or not. Either way, the window is long closed.

• donmarco says:

I think it’s possible Meehan may be playing tough with the new guy but I doubt it will work. pK has ZERO options other than to hold out. You’d like to think PK would tell his agent to just give him something to sign, but it appears he hasn’t. Here’s a prediction, if he doesn’t get the offer Meehan wants he’ll sign the offer sheet on Friday. Holding out would be highly detrimental to his stature and standing with his team mates. And I do believe he wants to play badly.

• 24 Cups says:

I don’t know the answer to this but if there are no arbitration rights, can there still be an offer sheet?

Pure speculation on all our parts, but I wonder who would try and make an offer sheet (outside of Holmgren)? Edmonton got Schultz so I wonder if there are any GMs left who would go that route? The islanders?

• 123456 says:

um obama is in his 5th yr in office – he can be blamed for stuff.

bergevin is in his first – gomer no but he will be blamed for PK if things get bad

• K-hab25 says:

Sums up my feelings about Subban the player and this situation perfectly.

20. sevenman says:

With $52 million already committed to next year and only 15 players signed, MB has his work cut out for him. That leaves just over $12 million for seven roster spots. Two of those spots go to new contracts for P.K. and likely a Desharnais raise not to mention potential performance bonuses for Galchenyuk that could put his salary at over $3 mil. Even buying out someone like Kaberle and getting the additional $4.25 mil space leaves little additional room. Likely the reason this ( PK sigining ) is not moving that quickly along.

• L Elle says:

Your comment doesn’t have any conspiracy theories, anger, confusion or BS in it. Too bland for HIO. ;)

• donmarco says:

Sorry, but you’re wrong. The 52 committed does not include 2 amnesty buyouts. Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque are still under contract. Take Gomez and either of the other 2 out and you’ve just reduced your 52 to 42, albeit with 13 players. That leaves approx 20 million for Bergevin to play with. He should have more than enough to make a run for a free agent, lock up Subban’s and Desharnais, and pick up some depth at the league minimum salary. There are teams in much worse shape.

• HabFab says:

The $52ML does include Gomez gone. Only one more buy out left.
        So $12,691,667 Cap Space left, 14 under contract, no Gally and no PK.

• donmarco says:

No it doesn’t. Log on to Cap Geek and scroll allllll the way to the bottom. Gomez is in a new category, called, oddly, “Buried”. It counts against the cap until the amnesty buyout is exercised before next season.

• HabFab says:

We are talking about next season and he will be gone. So do some math and check it out. (x-y= the right answer)

• donmarco says:

Sorry, 1 last comment. If you look at next years committed roster not 1 player of significance, other than Desharnais are either UFA’s or RFA’S. our cap situation is more than adequate for PK and Galchenyuk plus more.

• HabFab says:

It will be tight after PK and Gally which will take up around $8ML IMO.
            Buying out Kaberle leaves around $8.9 ML to resign DD plus 7 others.

• christophor says:

There’s a problem using capgeek’s cap calculator for next year: they count Gomez’ hit against the cap but don’t give you the option to remove it.

Solution: add Gomez’ cap hit minus $900 000 to next year’s $64 300 000 limit and you’ll see that it’s really not that tight at all. There’s even enough room for Kaberle to stay, if that’s desired. That or throwing $6 mill at Edler. Seriously, there’s enough room… unless I’m mistaken about the Gomez-bug on capgeek.

21. Haborama says:

does anyone know how well Gallagher and Tinordi are performing in camp?

22. Sean Bonjovi says:

He’s what I figure will be Michel Therrien’s top three lines will be for the 6th game of the season:

1. Max Pac-DD-Cole
    2. Eller-Pleks-Gionta
    3. Moen-Prust-Bourque

23. Bill J says:

K, P.K. Is not holding out, you see a thing called the Lockout happened. During said lockout, no deals could be made. No negotiations, nothing!

Bergevin has one week, just like several other GM’s with their respective unsigned RFA’s.

Some of you need to take a deeeeeeeeeeeep breath in, hold it…. And exhale slowly.

24. Captain aHab says:

I totally understand how the new buy out system is great for the players but how is this much good for the Habs and Rangers? It’s like putting the player on waivers , having them claimed and still pay all of their previous salary. TSN was saying that the benefit is the guy can’t get injured but they were going to sit anyway.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• donmarco says:

The Habs had already decided to walk away. The only benefit is the removal of the injured tag, as far as I can see. It just makes what they declared a certainty. In truth this was for Gomez and Redden, and it was a good ruling. But now Gomez will make even MORE which is galling, but lets move on from that era.

• Captain aHab says:

A simple thing that could have been done would have been to give the previous team cap relief equivalent to the new contract. So the Devils give Gomez $1M, the Habs get $1M in immediate cap relief. I think that would have been fair and would have at least given something to the old team.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

25. SlovakHab says:

Will we remember PK Subban one day as we remember Chris Chelios now?

26. slamtherimtim says:

capgeek has no gomer , under the cap baby

• donmarco says:

We were already 8 million below the cap anyway. And that was before they buried Gomez. his salary still counts against the cap this year.This was not a decision based on cap constraints for this season but to free up money for next season.

• nunacanadien says:

That means Molson can play the bottom feeder he is, and trade for and buyout Wade Redden as well. Next year it’ll be Luongo after the Laffs give him up. Who would have thought the habs have become the garbage can of the NHL and the NHLPA?

27. Bill says:

Bergevin’s stalling on the PK signing is getting irritating. If he winds up failing to lock down a player as young and good as Subban, he’s about as good a GM as Rejean Houle in my books.

It’s called cutting off your nose to spite your face. We waited years to have a player this good. Can we just make sure he sticks around for the long haul?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Haborama says:

bang on, another great post.

I fear that Subban will be remembered in the same unfortunate vein as Chelios, the only difference being that Subban will not have the opportunity to showcase what might have been…….

• deuce6 says:

I agree, not having PK in the line up stinks, but we can’t be pointing fingers here..Bergevin is doing what is best for the team and Meehan is doing what is best for PK..PK is valuable to the team, but we can’t have a GM that just gives in to any demand…A long term/insane contract would cripple the team going forward…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• HabsFanMTL says:

i think that Bergevin may cut off his nose to spite his face by trading our future franchise talent in Subban but keeping Galy up with the team this whole season. I’m sure MB will try to get the best deal in return for Subby

• donmarco says:

PK is not going anywhere, and aside from holding out, has no options. Why is everyone speaking of him like he’s gone. Some of these posts are so irritating.

• nunacanadien says:

PK can get a matching offer, chances are Boston, New York and New York and Winnipeg will buyout PK. Which is ok cause PK is too heavy and now too tall for the Molson Mighty Smurfs which is now the habs new name. Sure we bought out a mighty smurf but we replaced him with four more mighty smurfs…..

Gomez contract bought out, and now we can trade him for a third round pick.

• Timo says:

If his contract is bought out doesn’t it mean that Habs no longer have any right to him and hence can’;t trade him?

• Mothstoflame says:

If a team claims him from waivers, what do they pay him? I assume if they pick him up its half? for the length of contract?

• NightRyder says:

When they’re bought out, they become UFAs.

• Mothstoflame says:

I understand that, But if they are claimed from waivers, Do they have to negotiate a contract with the new team?

• NightRyder says:

He’ll just be bought out and became a UFA and teams can bid for his lack of skill. Teams who claim players on re-entry waivers are only responsible for half the salary and cap hit, while the original team is responsible for the other half, unless the claimed player is later assigned to the AHL again before his contract has expired, in which case, the salary and cap hit comes off the books of both teams.

• slamtherimtim says:

NightRyder if someone picks him up id be upset beyond belief

• Bill says:

When a player is picked up on waivers they now have to pay the player’s whole salary and cap hit. New CBA change I think.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Ian Cobb says:

I’m not sure how this new buy out deal works yet!

• donmarco says:

The NHL and NHLPA made a deal. He is not bought out, his salary counts against the cap, nothing changes there. He’s now allowed to pursue other opportunities immediately and not next season and the Habs no longer have to worry about him being injured. He’s already cleared waivers and is a UFA. In theory the Habs could sign him, but they won’t.

• Bill J says:

All but your last statement is bang on.

Part of the CBA agreement about the buyouts, a team cannot resign the player they just bought out.

29. Mothstoflame says:

All this P.K talk is nonsense,

Done Meehan said today P.K will not be in the opening line up. I believe that.

You play for whats on the front of your jersey, and people will remember whats on your back. Just because you low five a goalie doesn’t mean we should give you more money. It has been a long time since somebody with his charisma played for the habs.

He logs incredible minutes and is a top notch player.. My problem is that while everybody else is trying to prepare for opening night, P.K is practicing his explosiveness in a gym. If he wanted to play he would be in camp. He wants to play for a ton of money, not to help bring the cup to montreal. You can’t fault him for thats his job. But we can move on.

Im for letting him sit until he makes his mind up. We are not legitimate contenders, so i dont see why P.K is pulling a Weber.

Lost alot of respect from a player who talks the talk quite a bit. And he certainly is not helping the post lockout give back to fans.

Done my rant. have at me

• Cal says:

Players holding out is getting old really fast.
      PK is making one hell of an impression on new Habs management. He played #1 Dman minutes. On a 28th place team. He should be in camp already, but what the hell, let a GM elsewhere do the offer sheet thing. There are deals to be made.

• donmarco says:

Could not agree more with your post. And he’s not going anywhere, even if he sits out.

30. kempie says:

I see that Gomez is trending nationwide.

31. rhino514 says:

Canadiens being picked as the sleeper team on NHL.com
    hope this makes everyone root for the team now and gets rid of this “we should be good in two or three years” psychosis.

32. Steven says:

As per the ever-trustworthy Renaud Lavoie

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
    Important point here. Before the buy-out can take place, the player must first give his written consent by no later than Friday.

Does this mean Gomez could screw the team if he really wants to?

33. Hockey Bob says:

Time to tell PK to hit the road jack, two years in the league and he still makes and will make more than the great Larry Robinson ever made and he could not carry Robinson’s jock strap.

Is this guy asking for the moon, (we all know already PK is a legend in his own mind) or is MB seriously low balling him? I bet the latter.

This is the man that loves Montreal and wants to play there, could fool me.

34. davecessna says:

You guys are hilarious. Trade Subban?

The last time we traded a high potential, young defenceman, we got smurf-city’d.

No, if Subban doesn’t have the sense to pressure that used tampon Meehan into a deal, let him go by way of an offer sheet. Or better yet send him to Alaska. The cocky little sh!t thinks he’s better than Keith, Doughty, or the like? Protip little PK, you are swiss cheese, with a mouth that’s waiting to get Zdeno’d into a post.

35. Habilis says:

One thing I don’t understand about this accelerated buyout is why didn’t the NHL add a carrot for the teams this season? Say, a million dollar break on the cap hit? That would make it $100,000 better to take the option now than to wait until the summer. This way offers no incentive for the Habs or Rangers to do it now, in fact it costs them $900,000 in cap space. That’s alot for a team in the Habs situation.

36. NightRyder says:

If there is no cap relief until next season, why buy Gomez out? Why give him the chance to hurt, er, help another team? The team is only obligated to pay him his salary, not to play him. Why reward the underperforming schlub by allowing him to not only collect a pile of CH cash, but still get a chance to play somewhere else after being so putrid here?
    I could care less about the “it’s the right thing to do” argument. The right thing to do would be for him to not go a calendar year-plus without a goal.
    If there is no cap relief this year, he can sit on his bucket in Alaska until next season.

37. jeffhabfan says:

I heard that RDS said Gally will make it on 2 line and play on PP. The coach said that a center will move to the wing Eller or Pleky.

38. rhino514 says:

So now Kristo, our best prospect outside of Galchenyuk is a free agent if not signed within a fe months?
    And we all have to hold our breath until after the end of the ncaa season and possibly until the summer?

• Loonie says:

Our best prospect other than Galchenyuk?

Very debatable.

• rhino514 says:

I meant to say arguably our best prospect.
        If you look at the stats of all our forwards, Kristo has the most points per game, and that is without taking into account that the Q and probably the WHL are easier to put up points in than the NCAA, no?
        Hard to compare with Dmen, but no other forward seems to be putting on the same kind of season together as Kristo, whom I had admittedly almost forgotten about, and the tear he has been on the last 10 games or so is unreal.
        And from what I´ve just learned from one of the posters, it seems that it is more likely than noth that he will sign with another team, like Schultz. Kind of disheartening.

• Loonie says:

He’s lightning fast. Elite speed by NHL standards. That can create some inflated numbers at the Collegiate level like any other level other than the NHL.

He’s probably got a very bright future but I think it’s premature to have him up there with Beaulieu and Galchenyuk. They bring the complete package in terms of skill set. Kristo isn’t at that level.

• rhino514 says:

Beaulieu is sure being hyped by many. Not sure about his defensive play. I don´t think you can put him close to Galchenyuk. Gally is a sure thing to be not only an impact player, but quite possible a star., as long as he stays healthy. To me, Beaulieu is not a sure thing in this respect.

• Habfan10912 says:

I like Kristo a lot also. I’ve seen him play a few times. Quick, fast and good hands but what I always noticed more then anything is his nonstop motor. He seems to be always moving looking for open areas of the ice. I think you will see him sign shortly upon UND season ending.
          I really don’t know enough about the WHL to compare the level of hockey between the two but UND plays a top US college schedule and as far as US hockey goes, it probably doesn’t get any more competitive then there. Time will tell where he fits in. Greater scouting minds then I still see him as a third line NHL prospect.

———————————–

• geo_habsgo says:

Our of curiosity, what makes you rank Kristo so high?

I would say Gallagher, Tinordi, Bealieu, and Collberg all seem to have higher ceilings than Kristo. He just doesn’t excite me yet as a prospect. What are your feelings on him?

• jols101 says:

Lets not forget that Kristo is a 23 year old man still playing with kids at a university hockey level. Little wonder he is racking up the points. Lets wait and see if he can do anything against other men at the NHL level.

Edit : 22 years old turning 23 in June

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“… Kristo, our best prospect outside of Galchenyuk…”

If Kristo turns out to be any better than Aaron Palushaj I’ll be surprised.

39. JF says:

A lot of people are comparing Subban to Price, and arguing that he should accept the same kind of contract Price did two years ago. I’d love to see P.K. signed, but I don’t think his situation is really the same as Price’s. When Price signed his “bridge” contract, he was coming off a season in which he’d lost the starting job to Halak. P.K., on the other hand, was arguably our best defenceman last year. Markov’s injuries the last couple of years forced him to accelerate his learning curve and take on a lot of responsibility; and overall, he did extremely well, despite some ups and downs.

My initial feeling was that he should accept a contract similar to the ones signed by Price and Pacioretty, but after reading ed lopez’s excellent post yesterday, I appreciate the argument that his case is different because of the huge role he has played and because of his potential as an impact player. I’d have no problem with the Canadiens locking him up long-term; and you can argue that they’d actually save money that way.

But I don’t understand why Subban himself is not willing to accept a bridge contract (assuming that is what Bergevin is offering). He knows the team wants to keep him; and in two years he would likely get a better long-term deal than he would now.

Another consideration is that young players often struggle the first season after they’ve signed a big contract. Maybe it’s a combination of pressure, immaturity, and a touch of complacence; and perhaps Subban himself would be better served by not getting the big contract for another couple of years.

• Loonie says:

If he sustains an injury that derails his career he could be saying goodbye to a huge sum of money.

That’s why people shouldn’t be pointing the finger and dictating to him that he take a small term contract.

He lead the team in icetime last season and because of that is at greater risk of significant injury.

• piper says:

i agree. Offer him the max term at 6m a year and hope for the best. Should have offered him 5m per for 10 last year.

• JF says:

OK, that’s a point. BTW, I’m not pointing the finger at him; I’d be OK whichever way it went. I just want him on the team – soon!

• K-hab25 says:

If he sustains an injury that derails his career is exactly why Bergevin is right in this situation. I care about the Habs and the risks their taking, not Subban. I hope Bergevin does what’s best for the Habs future, not Subbans, because Subban and his agent are definitely only concerned with Subban, not the Habs.

• Habilis says:

I sure hope MB isn’t thinking like that. PK suffering a career ending injury only hurts the Habs in the sense that they lose their best defenceman, it doesn’t affect the cap. Where’s the risk? Unless you mean the money they would have to pay out for nothing.

In case you hadn’t noticed, they make a pretty decent profit. They are a team that has the luxury of making decisions based only on hockey and nothing else.

• K-hab25 says:

What happens if he gets this big contract you want him to get and then gets injured, not to bad, where he still can play, but never reaches that elite level you and Tom are so confident he will reach. Hell there doesn’t even have to be an injury, he could just stay the 35 point D-man he’s been, which is certainly not worth a big contract. Then it definitely is bad for the Habs, but hey Subban and his fans will be happy that his future is set.

• Habilis says:

The odds of that are the same as the odds that he’ll continue his progression to becoming one of the top D-men in the league. And defencemen aren’t judged by their points alone. Even a guy like Chris Pronger didn’t score more than 36 points until his sixth NHL season. Scott Neidermayer spent half his career scoring 40 points or less. They were pretty good defencemen.

• Habilis says:

Great points. IMO, PK must feel like he’s earned the long-term security of a 5 or 6 year deal. I’m sure that Meehan has not disuaded him from this notion, if he isn’t the one suggesting it in the first place. He knows that he plays a physical style of game, that ups his risk of injury. Combine that with the fact that he plays the most minutes every single night and you have a situation that simply hasn’t come up before, at least not in recent Habs history. I could be wrong but I don’t remember another player coming off his ELC who was our leading minute guy.

It’s a unique situation and I truly hope that MB grasps that. I’m sure Meehan has explained it to him a few times ;)

• K-hab25 says:

Well Price was actually the undisputed #1 with a journeyman back-up at the time he was signed, Halak was already history. He also had an all-star appearance, PK has not. I get that PK is talented, but he is not with out warts. IMO he still has a ways to go before he’s worthy of a long term contract at 5 mill or more a season.

40. frontenac1 says:

I wish we still had Staubitz.He was cheap and I think he scored as many goals as Gomez.

41. HABitat4humanity says:

seems like habs are now super stingy with their $. We need PK. He sells tickets and he is very much needed for the habs future.

C’mon molson, Pk is great for beer sales too

• Loonie says:

Nobody seems to be talking about the x-factor in Subban’s negotiations, marketability. He is a financial boon for the team with his jersey, t-shirt and hat sales.

I suspect head and shoulders above any of the others mentioned in the article.

The money that he makes the franchise in merchandise sales won’t be going unnoticed by Don Meehan anytime soon, nor should it.

• CanadienBoy says:

Agree on that one even the NHL advertising on TV have two shot of him in they commercial

• Habilis says:

I had a disagreement about this very subject with another poster on here last night. I’m of the same mind as you though, he is a sales bonanza wrapped up in a number 1 defenseman. I simply don’t know if MB takes that into account when making hockey decisions though.

• solomio says:

Aw c’mon what do you think the annual sales figures on PK Subban merch are ?
        Although there is profit to be made i reckon it is miniscule by comparison to the salary he wants.

42. Hobie Hansen says:

Pierre McGuire on the radio stating that Danny Kristo will play in the NHL and be good player. He said that he’d have pressed hard for him to be in Hamilton this season if were hired as the GM.

Cool.

• Loonie says:

He’s a ufa at the end of the year if not signed. So the question is who will he be a good player for?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Same type of situation as Schultz was in prior to signing with the Oilers?

• Loonie says:

Same situation. I have no idea if they can sign Kristo but history seems to indicate that the closer a player gets to free agency eligibility coming out of college the lesser the chances are of the team who drafted him being able to get him under contract.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I thought Kristo was drifting off into the abyss and all off a sudden he’s all we’re hearing about the past couple months.

• HabFab says:

Not the same situation. Schultz took advantage of a loop hole that allowed him IF he quit school before graduating, then he could declare himself a free agent.

• Loonie says:

Right but Kristo graduates this year and the Habs have a limited window in which to sign him prior to him becoming a free agent. The situations aren’t all that dissimilar.

• HabFab says:

Your point, all other college grads would be too after August 15th if they don’t sign with the team that drafted them. He can’t be signed while playing in the NCAA.

• Loonie says:

True but he’s been given the opportunity to sign and leave college three times and has turned the Habs down each time. For me the issue becomes bigger because he’s been widely reported to be an immature kid with bigtime problems in the staying out of trouble department. If that’s true I would think he’d jump at the chance to sign a pro contract unless he’s just enjoying his college time.

Having said that it doesn’t look good. And he graduates this year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Who drafted Schultz before he signed with the Oilers?

• Loonie says:

Anaheim. And they were close to filing tampering charges against the Leafs and Oilers for contact made to Schultz and his agent by email. Not sure if that’s resolved yet.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

PK and Nathan Beaulieu for the Yak. Yes or no?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

44. GuyDoon says:

Hi guys. Long time no post! Such is life under the witness protection plan :)
    Two things:
    1 – About Gomez. The Habs used to be a great and respected organization. I’ll venture they do the honorable thing and buy him out.
    2 – PK needs to sign a bridge contract. If not before season starts, they should think about trading.
    If they entertained that notion, would it be possible to do something with a team who is not realistically making the playoffs?
    Trade PK
    * to Toronto for Morgan Reilly and 1st.
    * to Colorado for O’Reilly and 1st
    * to NYI for Neiderreiter and 1st
    * to Columbus for Brassard and 1st
    What say you?

• aemarchand11 says:

He’s an RFA, if he doesnt want to sign the bridge contract he sits at home and we wait for either a comprimise or an offer sheet. We have the luxury of matching with cap space, and if its rediculous we get highly compensated.

No panic.

• CanadienBoy says:

Islander would be a good trading team for PK let face it is agent say they want a deal like the young oilers or blackhawk 6 years at 30 to 34 mil..

• nigel says:

I’m just happy Gomez isn’t a hab anymore; whether they buy him out, sit him home, or flush him down the toilet, I don’t care–just so long as I never have to watch him give the puck away on an errant pass, lose yet another faceoff, or go a year between goals as a hab ever again. He’ll be someone else’s problem now, and that’s good enough for me.
      As to your trades, I like Morgan Reilly and a 1st, even if Toronto wouldn’t, and maybe O’Reilly and a 1st–though, another tough sell there, but Neiderreiter hasn’t shown me much thus far, and Brassard doesn’t fit for me. What about the Flyers and their rumoured interest? Why not Sean Coturier and a 1st?

Habs rule, leafs drool.

• GuyDoon says:

I like Couturier alot too, but Philly’s pick will be a lower 1st rounder. The attraction to trade with the other guys is that the 1st could become one of the studs of next year’s draft.

45. I’m happy for Gomez — the man deserves to play hockey if someone’s willing to sign him.

It isn’t as though we’ve got trade secrets that he’s going to shuttle off to his new team — especially with a new coach and a new system that he hasn’t played under. What possible motive, aside from spite, could lead someone to demand he not play for anyone at all?

46. Chris says:

Just a note on Brandon Prust…he may or may not be a good addition to the team. I have to see him in Montreal first.

But his contract was unbelievably generous for a fourth line forward.

Compare to some of the other guys of his talents in the league:

Max Lapierre – $1 M
    Gregory Campbell – $1.6 M
    Daniel Paille – $1.3 M
    Justin Abdelkader – $1.8 M
    Chuck Kobasew – $1.25 M
    Arron Asham – $1.00 M
    Pascal Dupuis – $1.50 M (although he played more like a 2nd or 3rd liner last season)
    Maxime Talbot – $1.75 M
    Chris Higgins – $1.90 M
    Jannik Hansen – $1.35 M
    Jason Chimera – $1.75 M
    Jay McClement – $1.5 M
    Travis Moen – $1.8 M

Wouldn’t it be sad if the ultimate hold-up in the Subban negotiations was a difference of $500k-800k per year when we are basically overpaying a fourth liner like Prust by that same amount?

Prust could be a valuable player because of his ability to kill penalties. But Montreal was really too generous with him on that deal when you look at similar players around the league.

If you want to be a true Stanley Cup contender, you’ve got to have a bunch of star-calibre players on big contracts and fill out the rest of your roster with serviceable role players on small contracts.

I can’t say I am crazy about Prust’s $2.5 M cap hit for the next four years based on what he’s brought the past couple of seasons.

• Loonie says:

If he returns to the centre position and is successful with it, and by that I mean and excellent defensive player who contributes physical play I have no problem with the cap hit. But as a fourth line winger, I agree.

• shiram says:

I think Bergevin, or maybe Therrien, one of them was saying he was a 3rd line player, with some upside.
      Hopefully he takes a huge load off Pleky on the PK, or else this is going to be another albatross.

• Chris says:

If Prust is anywhere near the third line in Montreal, this team is going nowhere in a hurry. He’s 28 years old and has a career high of 29 points, and that came in a season when he posted the sixth most minutes of all Rangers forwards because of injuries to so many of their other wingers. Last season, he saw his minutes decline considerably as the Rangers were able to find better suited players for their top three lines.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Prust’s salary and the signing of Colby Armstrong are both puzzling.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

Armstrong boggled my mind. But I’m biased because I think he is one of the dirtiest head-hunters in the NHL. I absolutely couldn’t stand his blatant charges and shoulder straight to the head, of which the hit on Koivu was a perfect example.

• alfieturcotte says:

Couldn’t agree with you more. The team lacked scoring last year and we picked up 2 4th liners. Bergevin then spends huge sums for Price, meanwhile, our best player PK remains unsigned. Bad GM moves, period. MB I am afraid will prove to be a very green rookie GM, a la Rejean Houle.

• piper says:

The only two I’d compare him with would be Asham and Moen but Prust is quite a bit younger. But yes, it’s still about 700,000 to much for a fourth liner even in Montreal. I think he may be more than a fourth liner though.

• Chris says:

I compared him with Campbell and Lapierre, for example, as a guy who is expected to play some minutes on the penalty kill in addition to his even-strength fourth line minutes.

He will obviously bring less offence and more physical play than a player like Paille, but he’s essentially the same role.

• solomio says:

To compare Lapierre to Prust is a high insult to Prust! Get real man!!

• CanadienBoy says:

Prust s the type of guys u can not do without for a cup run he will make Moan look like a wimp

• nigel says:

I can personally see more of Prust on the third line than the fourth. He’s one season removed from 12 or 13 goals, I think, and if we played him with say, Eller and Moen, we could see something there. However, if he only plays on the fourth line for us, I agree, he’ll be overpaid. We needed some more grit though, and I’ve little doubt that he’ll do a whole lot better for us as a player and as a fighter than Laraque ever did.

Habs rule, leafs drool.

• solomio says:

Agreed! I really want to see Prust play the hockey he is capable of playing and he can play hockey there’s no doubt. Fight when needed play hockey all the time.We will see Prust shine.

• nunacanadien says:

Heck throw in Prust as a stay at home player.

47. Kooch7800 says:

I wonder if other GM’s are taking notice now that PK is not signed and are starting to contact MB. I don’t think/want him to be traded but I would curious…especially a team like Philly who has so many issues on D or an Edmonton

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habilis says:

If Edmonton did get him, and if Dubnyk is the real deal or they snag Luongo? They could be good. Like really good.

Then again, they’d have to give up something from their roster to get him. Unless it’s an offer sheet of course.

• solomio says:

You bet they are.

48. nunacanadien says:

Crazy Marc and Crazy Geoff are having a hockey yard sale: For sale One Mexican, slightly used, but not used too hard…..
    For sale: one Subban, used lots but proven to be good all around….

and the respect and honor of the habs dynasty, for sale, including saltpetered Coors and Molson beer…..come one come all become lame hockey fans!!!!!!

And one spot open for an overpaid prima donna goalie to add to our other prima donna goalie, with a promise to buy out your contract!

Are you a washed up used hockey player? Adolph Coors and Geoff Molson invite you to come to Montreal where we will buy out your contract! Yes! Come to Montreal and not play hockey!

Just ask Georges Laraques and Guy Carboneau!

49. HabFab says:

Didn’t Price go through this after his ETL?

50. habsfan0 says:

How long will it take fans..like Timo..to start howling for Michel Therrien’s head if Habs get off to a slow start?

I’m predicting midway through 1st period of Saturday’s game vs Leafs.

51. Chris says:

With news that the NHL has smartly reversed its decision and are now allowing Gomez and Redden to be bought out immediately and seek employment with another team, I hearby retract my claim that the move was “classless”.

NOW it is a very smart hockey move. :)

Why the NHL didn’t see that loophole as a potential problem is beyond me.

• HabFab says:

I blame the PA for missing it ;)

• habfan53 says:

I agree this is something Fehr and his suits missed good on Bergevin for catching it.

I feel good about this years team

• Chris says:

Well, they didn’t miss it. They had an agreement in principle that buyouts could not happen until this summer.

It is up to the NHL to protect the spirit of its own rules, which they did not do this time. I think they realized they were treading on dangerous ground by quickly negotiating the compromise to avoid a grievance so soon after a nasty CBA negotiation.

The NHLPA was stupid not to have this type of situation explicitly prohibited, though.

• New says:

You wanna bet that somewhere in the whole process one of the new management team calmly said to the players “Don’t worry about Scott, he’ll be fine. Give it a couple days.”

• Kooch7800 says:

I think it was a rushed decision. The buyouts were put in to get the players under the cap decrease next season as there are so many teams close. Plus with the shortened season I didn’t think they wanted the mess of players being bought as it was just over a week before they start playing from the new CBA….not it is changing

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• nunacanadien says:

The truth is Montreal pays for the whole NHL. Its true. Your gate sales and the high Quebec Taxes mean we gyp players and they think they’re paying extra taxes…oh no the secrets out!

52. aemarchand11 says:

I am just fed up with the fact that all we hear from Subban is that he loves it here and wants to play here long term, respects the organization, learned so much from the vets (I would presume that working your way up the ladder would be one of those lessons?). The habs have always offered their star players bridge contracts, and most recently has worked with both Max and Carey, who now will collect their big money. Subban is no different, he has had his ups and down, showed he can be dominant and also vulnerable. I think its time for a gut check and to see if he was just using cliche like most NHL’ers or if his character is what all have led to beleive it was. Honest, Passionate and Cocky. (Aka All Star)

Imagine if Carey Price, who could have handcuffed the team decided to hold out like PK is doing right now. He was in a better position to do it, and settled on the 2 year deal and proved his worth..

I am so sick of contracts, CBA, HRR and all the other financial cap. Lets just play hockey.

• Timo says:

I played hockey yesterday… I doubt you would have enjoyed it.

• elmack says:

I rarely post, but have an inside scoop on subbans expectations.

one night before this past summer he came back to my house with some friends after a night at club in montreal (clubhouse)

we were all wasted, but I most definitely remember talking to him about contract expectations. he was very forthright in saying that he considered himself polished and a number 1 dman. his expectation was ten years at 8 million per year. He wants fucking 80 schmill, no joke.

Being a habs fan, I urged him to take a shorter contract, and earn his long term contract by proving himself during the short contract (trying to convince him that he could end up earning more if he proves himself)

Not saying I had remotely any effect on his opinion, but he seemed EXTREMELY entitled to a massive contract.

He has huge potential to remain a franchise Dman with unlimited upside… but his ‘moonlighting on the side’ personality will prove dangerous in a market like ours….

• Loonie says:

And I believe about as much of that as I do the Warren Report.

Convenient timing to come out of nowhere and post a story of a player who has spent his time avoiding night clubs since he was in junior that paints him as an immature drunk and greedy kid.

• aemarchand11 says:

Brad Marchand is my cousin, but if i saw him i would hit him with a shovel.

• elmack says:

ive been on this site for ages, though i rarely post. do i want PK locked up for our team ? yes. do i think he is a risk in this market ? yes. was he wasted that night? definitely. does he want a shitload more than his market value in the nhl? 100%

53. Habilis says:

“Dave Stubbs‏@Dave_Stubbs
    But being “not close” to a deal today does not remotely augur well for @PKSubban1 being in uniform for #Habs season opener Saturday”

Not good at all. I’m at a loss here, I cannot comprehend why they are so far apart. Is PK demanding more than 2 years and Bergevin holding firm? Is PK asking for 7mil a year? Is PK demanding his own personal butler for road games?

This needs to get done. Now.

• Ron says:

Stubbs also said that its clear in Montreal that more than a little bloom is off Subban’s rose

• Loonie says:

Which of course is unfair because the public has a better perception of what Subban’s asking for than what he’s been offered.

• ont fan says:

All Meehan seemed to say is he was looking for what Kane and Seguin were getting. Apparently Bergevin must disagree that he is in the same category. Meehan sounded like it was just business.

• Kooch7800 says:

they are forwards though…. I thought he said Eberle and Seguin.

both of those contracts are pretty risky IMHO (seguin more than Eberle). I think these gm’s were thinking rollback possibly which didn’t happen.

Either way a deal will get done sooner or later

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ron says:

I don’t think that is the case at all. Fans are just that and form as many opinions as you or anyone else on here do. Whether it is unfair or not all Dave is saying the thought of PK could do no wrong is changing abit. Even though it is negotiations people form an opinion. As you say no one knows what the offer or asking price is, just feel maybe he is asking abit much.

• Loonie says:

And if they don’t know what he’s asking for and are upset with him for asking for too much then that is unfair. Ya know, cuz they don’t know what he’s asking for.

• Ron says:

Read what I said again Tom, that is what I said in regard to not knowing. If your here to start an arguement take your butt further up the thread cuz I think your being an a** right now.

54. habfan53 says:

I love how all the comments are coming in that Gomez should have to sit if he is bought out or that what ever he signs for should be taken off the Canadiens cap hit or if he plays he could come back and hurt us.
    Well we are talking Colby Armstrong here . Leafs bought him out AND are paying him for this year, Montreal is now paying him too.There is a better chance Armstrong will hurt the Leafs than Gomez will hurt Canadiens
    Hey thats the way it works.
    If Someone wants to pick up gomez and he collects a second salary so what it is not out of your packet that is they way the “new” NHL works.
    Marc Bergevin made a decision we are a better team with out him.
    IF he can help someone else so be it

55. nek25plus says:

The news about the decision regarding Gomez, Redden and all players like them is a great one. Please note that some team will pick him up and it will probably New Jersey.

As much as I am a huge Habs fan…I hope he comes back every time and plays lights out against us. Just to drive u all nuts!

#come back to haunt u

56. HabFanSince72 says:

Everyone assumes Gomez will get a job.

I guess there’s a sucker born every minute, but the Canadiens, who were the worst team in the conference last year, don’t want Gomez for free (essentially – the difference between buying him out and keeping him is $0 this year).

So if the worst team doesn’t want Scott Gomez for nothing, why would a team with a better roster want him for money?

What possible earthly use would he be to a professional hockey team?

Even Columbus or Phoenix – surely they have some youngster who they would rather promote to the NHL.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• 123456 says:

I’m with you

One caveot is other teams have more than 2 guys who can score so maybe Gomez culd be more effective…and at a lot lesser cost.

(no I am not scott gomez)

• turnonthejets says:

Oh, they’d play him if the price were right. The issue is if he gets hurt and the team is on the hook for the whole cap it and it’s crippling once the cap goes down. It’s not a fact that he’s not useful to someone at the right price.

• shiram says:

A better team does not mean they have a better 3rd line C than Gomez, and he would likely make very little money.
      This discussion is all over the internet hockey world, and you might surprised at how many fans of other teams would be willing to give him a 1 year trial on a 1 to 1.5 million deal.

edit :
      david pagnotta ‏@thefourthperiod
      updated story: As many as 5 teams have already shown preliminary interest in gomez, all in the west (so far)…

• Blondie says:

I guess this way he at least gets to explore potential opportunities. Although why he would want to go through the shame and humiliation is beyond me. Nobody is going to touch him with a ten foot pole.

Edit: Well, maybe the Islanders. Nothing they do would surprise me.

• Chris says:

It isn’t that Montreal didn’t want him for this year. It was that they DEFINITELY don’t want him next year, and were terrified that they couldn’t get rid of him.

Gomez could sign a league minimum one-year deal ($500k) and try to prove himself worthy of a larger contract. Put Gomez as a third line centre for a team looking for a veteran player and he could be a good player without the albatross of the cap hit questions surrounding him.

People here are always talking about adding VERY over the hill veterans (Jason Arnott has been the most recent example). I can easily see somebody taking him.

57. Loonie says:

Of the 15 forwards selected in the top three of the draft since the previous lockout, only Jonathan Huberdeau, James Van Riemsdyk, Kyle Turris, Jonathan Toews and Bobby Ryan didn’t make their NHL team and stick for the full season.

RNH – 52 points in 62 games

Landeskog – 52 points in 82 games

Hall – 42 points in 65 games

Seguin – 22 points in 74 games(many as a healthy scratch or 4th liner)

Tavares – 54 points in 82 games

Duchene – 55 points in 81 games

Kane – 72 points in 82 games

Staal – 42 points in 81 games

Crosby – 102 points in 81 games

Chances are pretty good that if Galchenyuk sticks, he’ll do pretty damn well.

.71 ppg with Crosby inflating the total and Seguin deflating it.

• tothemaxx says:

You forgot Stamkos, who got 46 in 79, for .58 ppg, deflated by the Melrose effect.

Thank you. My bad.

• tothemaxx says:

No problem. It’s an interesting perspective.

I don’t know if keeping Gally with the big club would be beneficial in the long run, though. He’s having a really nice season in Sarnia, and I tend to think it would be good to let him finish what he started down there. Don’t forget that he is for all intents and purposes a second year junior. Sarnia is leading their division right now, and it would be nice for Gally to potentially get a nice playoff run in.

The other question is whether or not it’s worth burning a year of his contract for half a season.

58. Habitforming says:

Ok, someone tell me if I have this new compliance buyout thing right here.

Gomez gets bought out and paid the $5.5M (prorated for the 48 game season?) and is automatically UFA.
    Montreal still has the $6.4M cap hit for the season ($7.3M minus $900K from not sending him to the minors) Cap hit is not prorated right?
    Montreal has no Gomez cap hit next season and has to pay him 2/3 rds of the $4.5M remaining on his contract, over 2 years.

Is that the bulk of it?

59. veryhabby says:

It;s a good thing to do the buyout now, for both player and team. Habs were going to pay his pro-rated salary this year, take the pro-rated cap hit, and have to pay him a buyout in the summer. Now there is no buyout in the summer. Mr Molson will save over $3M. In return the player can try to save his career plus make 2 salaries if a team actually signs them

We even get another 900K off our cap, small bonus. Plus now a roster spot open. I think each team can have 50 players under contract, now MTL can sign someone else for help in AHL lol!

Really win-win, and a classy move by all

• rhino514 says:

How does the team save 3 million? it doesn´t change anything for the team, only thing that changes is the player gets to be able to play this season if someone else signs him

• nunacanadien says:

Toronto can waste their money on Gomez, and Molson can buyout Luongo next. Montreal, the home and graveyard for elephants and washed up veteran hockey players and players with broken knees and rookies who can’t push back good….you know the one Crazy Bob set up when he was here.

60. piper says:

This will come back and bite the Habs in the ass. And they save what… 900,000 on the cap hit?

61. Lancer says:

Waive him. Park him. Save the roster spot and 900K on the cap. gomez paid enough already. Any other choice is lunacy

62. 123456 says:

The ABC will be renamed the Gomez Clause, not only because Scotty will be the first player to be impacted by it… but also because Scotty will miss the Habs red sweater, not find any NHL work, eat a lot and get fat. He will shortly be know as the red sweater wearing Mr. Scotty Clause and will bring Habs fans around the world gifts of joy each hockey season.

As much as I think this compromise is heavily weighted in favour of Gnomez, thankfully for the Habs they would only need to pay the pro-rated amount on 5.5 million to rid themselves of the albotross.

Should some other team sign Gnomez what is the over/under on how many games until:

a) He gets injured
    b) He scores his first goal

Bonus:

Which comes first?

64. mark-ID says:

There were quite a few people who always talked about how good of a fourth line Boston has…..I think ours has potential to be better this year.

Paille Campbell Thornton
    vs.
    Moen Prust White

This line has potential to do alot of crashing and banging. Both Moen and Prust have shown some offensive potential also.

How do we stack up? Personally I think we could have one hell of a fourth line this year…..this assuming Galchenyuk sticks and Armstrong does well on the third line.

• Hobie Hansen says:

We’re all super pumped my friend!

• rhino514 says:

Armstrong is a right winger. Bourque is also a natural RW. So don´t see how that line would work well.
      I´d be also surprised if they keep Gally to play him on LW all season when he is being groomed to be the team´s next star centre.

• mark-ID says:

Well as it’s been pointed out….it wouldn’t be the first time a rookie starts his career on the wing, only to be moved to center at a later date. As of this year also, we are more in need of a scoring winger then we are a center with (desharnais, pleks and eller)

• rhino514 says:

Thing is, he stops developing at centre and has to play another position for half a year, which they have no intention of keeping him in. Isn´t that detrimental? Or is it possible he can learn playing out of position in the NHL than continuing to hone his game as a centre junior?
          If it isn´t detrimental I am all for it, because we do sorely need a left winger to be competitive this season. We actually need two LWs!
          surpised no one is talking about this lopsided situation…

I still fear not having Cammy at playoff time will come back to haunt us. What a clutch guy he was in the playoffs!

• tothemaxx says:

I think that your proposed 4th line would compare well to Boston’s. Paille is basically a plug, Campbell is pretty good, and Thornton might be the perfect 4th line player.

I think all 3 of the guys you mentioned are gritty, tough, and hard-working, but maybe lacking a bit of intelligent meanness à la Thornton (mean and angry, but takes few dumb penalties). I think White has shown flashes of it in his young career, and Prust could probably do it too.

65. commandant says:

He’s done it again

Alex Galchenyuk

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

66. Habfun says:

The buyout will count against this years cap space but not next years. The NHLPA only wants this so the players can be bought out and sign elsewhere and collect a 2nd salary. I say if they are bought out this year at the full rate for this year and they sign elsewhere they should have to give the money collected for this year back to the team they left!!
    Let him sit!!!!
    And they better sign PK soon!

It\’s all about the CH

67. rhino514 says:

From the linked article above explaining the ACB:
    “As a result, teams would take the full cap hit on such players this season, less the $900,000 for not burying the player in the minors”

Does anyone understand this? Does this mean that the team saves almost one million on the cap for essentially doing nothing?

68. Chrisadiens says:

Well…accelerated compliance buyouts are nice, for the players. Doesn’t help teams trying to save cap space. Gomez will be able to sign elsewhere and play if he chooses.

Imagine if he has a great season with some other team?  Nah, that won’t happen, right?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

69. Mattyleg says:

Urgh:
    Dave Stubbs tweets-
    “From #Habs @PKSubban1 agent Don Meehan, via text message: “No news to report today. We are not close to an agreement.”

They will be.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. commandant says:

Max brings you a happy hour with fantasy sleepers.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

71. HabFab says:

Nice to see the PA and NHL working together to resolve their problems…”sigh”

72. Mustang says:

From the TSN article, “Teams would pay out 100 per cent of a player’s actual salary this year and the player would get a chance to sign elsewhere. ”

So the Habs would have to pay Gomez’s full salary this year but if they used this accelerated buyout, would that mean that they would not have to pay him anything next year?

• commandant says:

They’d pay him 100% this year and 66% next year (essentially the exact same money we’d pay him to stay home) and make him UFA today.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• aj says:

In other words, their NHL and PA are giving Gomez an eligibility to shop for another team as a UFA this season if the buyout does happen.

• commandant says:

Yes. Seems fair, we all know he’s done in Montreal. Why make him sit at home and not look for new work.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• davelecave says:

Because he could sign elsewhere for peanuts and help a rival team. Imagine if he signed in Toronto and scored a game-winner against us. We’d be paying what, 7.1 million to help another team?

• Mustang says:

The wording on the link has been changed since my earlier post. I used a copy and paste and as you can see, there was no mention of the 66% pay for next year. I thought that it looked very strange.

73. aj says:

If Gomez is eligible to be on the accelerated compliance buyout, then what the hell is Bergevin waiting for? Pull the trigger to free up cap space! Then maybe the Habs can sign PK for this season!

74. Loonie says:

Please show me one post where somebody says he deserves a roster spot.

75. Blondie says:

It’s getting a little disconcerting. It’s like the CBA negotiations have set the model for salary negotiations. Not promising at all.

76. Habilis says:

I saw that too. It’s a friggin mess from everything I’m reading.

I know this sounds insane, but is it possible that Bergevin is holding firm because he wants to tank? If this keeps up, PK will get an offer sheet from someone, you can bank on that. Maybe Bergevin wants the picks associated with a contract over 5mil? The more I think about it, the less crazy it seems. Maybe that’s just my first beer of the week talking.

77. SlovakHab says:

The pick would probably be low, as Subban wouldn’t go to Columbus or a similar team.
    It is unlikely that we would pick a player of Subban caliber, even with a top-10 pick. He is an elite player in the making.
    I would rather have Subban signed and play all 48 games this season.

Maybe he is holding firm because he wants Subban gone (smells Michel Therrien to me). He know backlash would be huge if he openly admitted that Subban is on the block, and this way it’s at least 50/50 pro-against Subban (kind of like the lockout)

79. Adam says:

Tanking no longer works. Under the new CBA, all non-playoff teams have an equal shot at the top pick. No more lottery system like what Edmonton used to get three number one picks in a row.
    Doesn’t matter if you’re 9th or 15th.

80. davelecave says:

The one after which they won the cup?

Maybe it’s a good omen.

81. tophab says:

mb should smarten up every other team locked up their young guys long term.

82. Habilis says:

Yeah but think about it, even if the picks they receive are later in the rounds, they already have three 2nd rounders to play with. Plus this team, without Subban in the lineup… That might very well be a top 5 pick on it’s own.

83. Habfun says:

SlovakHab, I agree he is going to be a great player and I want him on my team.
    But we can’t sell the farm and let the chickens run amok!

It\\\’s all about the CH

84. habfan53 says:

Have you forgotten that P.K. WAS a 2nd round pick 43rd overall
    Nothing wrong with late 1st to mid 2nd round picks

85. Loonie says:

Maybe he could reach out to you and have you do the same with yours.

86. Habilis says:

That’s just crazy enough to be true.

87. nunacanadien says:

No we can buyout Redden and Luongo next! Go play in Montreal, or don’t play and Geoff Molson will buy out your contract!

88. solomio says:

Katy Perry ?

89. Habilis says:

Right but if you finish in the bottom 4, you’re still guaranteed a top 5 pick. You can only move down one spot. And this is a pretty deep draft. Even if they finish in the top 20 by some miracle, they’d have 2 first rounders and 4 second rounders to deal with if they want to move up.

I’m not saying that it’s the case, because I simply can’t see MB planning that way. But it’s fun to conspire ;)

90. SlovakHab says:

I haven’t and that’s exactly my point. What I am saying is that there is only a very few PK Subban caliber players in each draft.
    It is unlikely that you hit the jackpot with a player like Subban again.
    Why would you trade a proven player that you can build around for picks that may not work you?
    You only want to trade players that are replaceable for picks.

91. Propwash says:

In the real world, is a PK Subban worth 2 first rounders? I’m as much of a fan of him as the next guy, but I don’t think he is.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

92. Habitforming says:

Don’t forget about Jared Knight as well the Broons got for Kessel

93. Hali_Hab says:

Woah!! This is not that kind of forum! Not cool!!!!

94. Bill says:

See ya.

Full Breezer 4 Life

95. ZepFan2 says:

Idiot.

Buh-bye!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

96. solomio says:

97. twilighthours says:

I’m not such a fan of racism. It’s right down there with misogyny and homophobia.

98. Al aboo says:

congrats you are the first official d bag to cross the line, f’n idiot!