Training camp notes, Day 3

coach_001web

The Canadiens are midway through their training camp leading up to Saturday’s season opener against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Bell Centre.

“I like what I’m seeing of the team,” coach Michel Therrien said after Tuesday’s practice. “It’s starting to take shape.”

Therrien doesn’t plan to tinker with success. The team’s top line last year will remain intact. Erik Cole, David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty led the team in scoring and generated most of its offence.

There is “such good chemistry” that has developed on that line, Therrien said.

“As long as they continue to perform well and be productive, I won’t separate them,” he said.

Tomas Plekanec, who has sore ribs, was on the ice in Brossard Tuesday afternoon with Pierre Allard, the Canadiens’ strength and conditioning coach.

“He’s still day to day,” Therrien said, adding that Plekanec is feeling a lot better.

When the players practised on Tuesday morning, Petteri Nokelainen, who is recovering from a lingering back injury, skated alone on the other sheet of ice at the Brossard training facility with Allard.

Tuesday’s practice included five-on-five and shootout drills. Assistant coaches Clément Jodoin and Gerard Gallant also worked with players on the power play.

Mike Commodore practised with the team for the first time after passing his physical. The 33-year-old defenceman is one of four players from the Hamilton Bulldogs who were invited to camp.

Also, there were reports Tuesday that the NHL and NHLPA have come to an agreement on an “accelerated compliance buyout” before the regular season begins, which could be good news for Scott Gomez. Read more by clicking here.

Meanwhile, on the P.K. Subban watch, Don Meehan, the agent for the unsigned restricted free-agent defenceman, texted the following to The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on Tuesday afternoon: “we are not close to an agreement.”

If you are not one of the more than 22,800 people already following Stubbs on Twitter (@Dave_Stubbs), you can do so by clicking here.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. ralphkim says:

I like Subban very much but I am really really disapointed in him to be staying away from Camp and being a better team player while they work out a settlement.. I am beginning to se his personal selfishness come through now.. He thinks he is bigger than he is.. He needs to come back and work on his teaming…. We also can see why we kept hearing about many players not liking him last year…

• nunacanadien says:

I disagree, one thing Subban wasn’t invited, nor did the media surrounding him show any attempts by Bergevin and all we heard from Therrien in his first media scrum with Bergevin were nasty words aimed at Subban. Body language and words speak volumes, especially when it was said by Therrien before he became habs coach that he did not think highly of Subban.

2. Boston Habs Fan says:

Do you think if they could redraft last years draft now, after Gallys year back at sarnia..would Edmonton take him #1 over Nail?

3. nunacanadien says:

Thank you HIO for posting a real true picture for once. Yes that is Therrien bending over to speak to the mighty smurf players that are part of Molson’s new image. Yes, tiny players who can skate fast and win the first period but who have a hard time keeping the lead in the second and third period. Who would have thought Therrien was such a giant of a man? He is not, but the habs have downsized cause Molson got the wrong impression on the NHL Governor’s email….Geoff Molson it said they are downsizing the cap space…not the players…..too bad Molson gets it wrong again…..

Ad in religious newspaper by Geoff Molson: “Looking for small David vs Goliath NHL player! Are you less than 6 feet tall and can shoot a puck? Come try out for the habs, only those players who will never grow above six feet tall need apply…”

• SterlingRod says:

Wow are you a funny, clever and thoughtful cat. Keep up the strong work! Yay!

• jrshabs1 says:

Moen’s 6’2″ 220lbs…what are your stats nuna…5’5″ 280lbs? Computers are tools not life partners.

Go Habs Go!!

• nunacanadien says:

No, Moen is 6’2 after he steps on Molson’s soap box….sadly Moen is a washed up veteran that no one wants sadly. What good is a 6 foot 2 inch tall player when the rest of his line is what less than six feet tall? It’s like having one big bully on your side of wimps only to watch the big bully being beaten up by the gang of bullies. Sorry boys one big tough player on a line of wimps and shrimps and injured veterans doesn’t a good offensive or defensive line make in today’s Crash the Net NHL!

• nunacanadien says:

If you look at the Bell Centre, they are making the walk area behind the coach on the player’s bench sx inches smaller and deeper so Therrien doesn’t tower over Prust Desharnais or our recent acquisition of Gomez’s junior DeSantis…..and you might even see Therrien walk around in his socks cause those shoes might give him an extra inch. Also in the dressing room Molson is having the floor removed and a pit made for Therrien to step into so he doesn’t tower over Gionta. “At least I can beat the living crap outa my players…something I couldn’t do on any other NHL team I’ve been on, that is a bonus cause the habs are all smaller than my teen who was just going into puberty before” Therrien is reported to have said. Gionta confirmed that Therrien had pulled him aside and gave him a spanking after practice for forgetting to wear Gionta’s platform shoes for the TSN interview where reporters towered over the mighty smurf!

• jrshabs1 says:

ok… ok.. I agree with you …Habs are smurfs they don’t belong in the league. John Lu towers over the biggest Hab during interviews..we get it. You did your part nuna…because now I hate the damm Habs for all being smurfs..who do you really cheer for? I would like to know so I could cheer for a big tough team full of winners.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habfun says:

Must be a big bad leaf fan ther Nunna!!

It\\\’s all about the CH

• nunacanadien says:

No I’m a die hard fan. I’ve shook hands with the Rocket, Dryden and that dreamteam Tretiak who was also a die hard Habs fan. I am saddened to see what Corporate Hockey management can do to a team like the habs. It is just sad to see the bureaucracy of the corporate world damage and destroy hockey where it should thrive and don’t blame taxes either as the CBA and the NHLPA I doubt would let players play for less in Quebec.

4. Boston Habs Fan says:

I love PK and what he brings to team, but he doesn’t deserve Drew Doughty $ (which I read he was asking for) yet

5. RC-51 says:

Does anyone have any info on Kristo? I thought he was a prospect with high expectations for the Habs?

• veryhabby says:

RC-51… Kristo is having a very good year in this final NCAA season. Outside of his frostbite foot, and getting suspended for too much partying…. he has had a very good NCAA career. It is expected for a 4th year player with such talent to have a very good season, and he is. He is also an assistant on his team.

I read an interview last summer about his decision to play last year in NCAA instead of coming to AHL. Said his very good friend, Louis Leblanc was encouraging him to come to AHL (lol wonder if LL would suggest the same now!). Also said he really wants a NCAA championship. Also believes he can make the Habs next year, and doesn’t need AHL time.

Typically high drafted players do not play a full 4 yrs in NCAA. They make the jump to AHL partway. The 4th year players are usually those undrafted, or those fighting with the club who drafted them (see Shultz now in Edm). A little different to want to stay the whole time, but I think in his head he’s like…2 yrs NCAA plus 2 years AHL…or 4 yrs NCAA is still 4 yrs before I make the habs. We’ll see where he measures up next camp.

• 44har48 says:

I just watched Kristo play a couple of games and he does look good comparatively speaking. He is going to be a keeper for the Habs, assuming he comes to the Habs this year and does not become a UFA, or whatever they are called when they don’t sign by the time they complete 4 NCAA years. I do think he will need a transition to AHL and then NHL though, NCAA is good hockey but let’s not fool ourselves, it’s not professional.

6. PrimeTime says:

PK and Meehan are trying to capilize on his popularity. MB is assessing PK as a player on a rebuilding team. No way PK should hinder team growth at any cost. PK can sit. GM’s will learn his M.O. I hope MB can sign him for a reasonable short term deal.

7. yodasvoboda says:

I’m gonna guess 25 million for 5 years, over which time pk makes 2 all star teams.