Training camp notes, Day 2

rink_001web

Habs prospect Alex Galchenyuk showed his considerable hockey skills at training camp on Monday.

You can see Galchenyuk’s nifty moves beating Habs goalie Peter Budaj during a shootout drill on this TSN video by clicking here:

“We like what we’re seeing presently,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said about Galchenyuk, 18, the team’s first-round at this year’s draft.

“One thing that he showed today is that he’s got tremendous skill,” Therrien said.

“I like his speed. I like his vision with the puck. He’s got a lot of poise with it,” the coach added. “He’s got a great shot… So there are a lot of good things out there to work with.”

Read Pat Hickey’s column on Galchenyuk and how the youngster’s maturity has impressed Therrien by clicking here.

Therrien likes the players’ attitude at camp, saying they’re ready to learn.

Asked by a reporter about the role he envisions for forward Lars Eller, Therrien said he’s at a stage where he’s got to take another step in his career.

“That’s the way I see it,” the coach said. “He’s got potential. He’s a young player still developing. But there’s a time in your career you want the player … to bring his game to another level and this is what I’m expecting from him.”

Defenceman Francis Bouillon, who signed a one-year contract with the Canadiens last summer, said he was “so nervous” two weeks ago, fearing the worst – that there wouldn’t be an NHL season.

With the lockout over, Bouillon said he’s glad to be back. And he called Therrien, who he played for during his previous stint with the Habs, the best candidate to get the team back on track.

The Canadiens have already sold out their season opener Saturday at the Bell Centre against the Toronto Maple Leafs and as of Monday afternoon only a few tickets were remaining for next Tuesday’s game against Florida. Read more about ticket sales by clicking here. See the complete Canadiens’ schedule by clicking here.

The Canadiens will hold a scrimmage on Thursday night at the Bell Centre that will be free for fans to attend and will include free food. Read more about that by clicking here.

Teammates Ryan White and Brandon Prust dropped the gloves at practice Monday, but “we were just fooling around,” White said as the two tough guys get ready for the season. Read more about that by clicking here.

To see a Gazette video from Day 2 of training camp, click here. To see a Gazette photo gallery from Habs camp, click here.

You can hear what forward Colby Armstrong had to say about Galchenyuk and the Canadiens season opener on Saturday against the Toronto Maple Leafs below:

Erik Cole seems to have had a change of heart regarding retirement talk. Go to tsn.ca and on right side there is a media area, click on it to listen.

2. BC HAB says:

No way I would buy him out now for no benefit! Pay back is a bitch Gomey!!!! Sit your useless ass at home!!!!

3. Bim says:

PK for Jamie Benn..would be a good trade to put Habs back on the offensive trail. Maybe this isn’t about terms or money afterall but working out trade details?

4. Habs64 says:

22 minutes ago
    TSNBobMcKenzie: Sorry, my mistake on this year, player gets 100 per cent on buyout, not two thirds. No saving to club. My bad.

5. Loonie says:

Does Galchenyuk already have the best hands of any current Hab?

I say yes.

You know it’s funny. Therrien said that a player can’t stick based on shootout moves alone. But can he stick predominantly because of his shootout ability? Gonna be hard to send the kid down if his presence in shootouts could wind up being the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

6. krob1000 says:

I think there is a good chance that Gomez ends up in Redemptionville, Alberta…Czervenka is hurt and they are hurting bad up the middle

7. commandant says:

So the NHL and NHLPA settled on exactly what I wrote in my article this morning on the Gomez/Redden situation.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kooch7800 says:

Nice Article Sir.

Apparently, you are correct they will get the full buy out for this season and next year plus immediately become a free agent.

Gomez will make even more money for sucking…can’t say i agree that their shouldn’t be a penalty for the player.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

8. Habfan10912 says:

Todays Galchenyuk’s highlight: http://goha.bs/XbDyiO

Edit: Sorry Matty. I didn’t see your post and link below. Once again, I’m a day late to the dance.

9. Loonie says:

Kudos to Mike D for suggesting near exactly what the league approved regarding buyouts today.

Perfect solution to the Gomez situation. I can’t believe the Habs won’t give him the money up front and make him an UFA this week. I would expect an announcement sometime tomorrow from MB.

If Gomez can make 3M over the next two years he breaks even. I bet Redden gets a job, as well. Maybe the Habs will sign him if they can’t land Subban:-)

11. pmaraw says:

WOW now meehan is saying subban wont start the season, Im sure you’ve all been over this by now but I just woke up… lol! To start the season, the shortened season, without subban, despite markov, is absurd. I dont like it, I dont like the way this is going, I hope it gets resolved soon because having this hanging over the team is not good. Offer sheet him someone please or something.

12. aj says:

Looks like there’s a lineup for the opposing squad for Thursday: Leblanc, Holland, Blunden, St-Denis, and Bournival. Anybody has an idea on what to expect and what’s the complete lineup between ‘the reds’ vs. ‘the whites’?

I’m wondering if by any chance Commodore and/or Tinordi would be the possible replacement to PK Subban if ever the contract status won’t work?

13. Hobie Hansen says:

Well that’s pretty stupid? Why would the owners agree to that deal? We can buy Gomez out now but not get cap relief until next season?

We should be able to sign/trade for another player with that available cap space the second the player is bought out!

14. Mattyleg says:

Dunno if this was posted, but:
    More shootout wows from Gally

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Mattyleg says:

Glad to hear that Gomer doesn’t get the shaft, and that the NHL and NHLPA are actually able to agree on something without four months of talks.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Okay, given the owners just stood arm in arm for half of a season in unison, is any team actually going to give Gomez or Redden an offer during this current season?

• jols101 says:

Sure they will, someone will offer $1 million to both these guys. I figure New Jersey for Gomez.

• Strummer says:

I don’t know why a GM would offer either of these 2 more than Darche money on a 1 year, two way deal.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

17. frontenac1 says:

If we consider the Smurfs to be Hobbits,then it all begins to make sense. I will let my spiritual adviser Gary Busey explain.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WhLvwIUuLWg

18. jeffhabfan says:

Hi guys do you think the Habs should stop there policy of no long term contracts to players coming out of there ELC.It might burn them with P.K moving forward.

• shiram says:

What I find weird with this is, management has changed so it’s not like they have to hold to the old office’s philosophy.
      Unless it comes from Molson…

• Cal says:

No. It’s stupid to overpay for players that may never improve to the point that they become elite. PK is no exception. He was a 2nd round draft choice. He shouldn’t get top 5 money right now.

19. Cal says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Clubs will save 1/3 of players’ actual salary this year – no cap benefit – by buying out now but players would get chance to sign elsewhere.

• longbow says:

I wonder what Gomer thinks of this. If the Habs buy him out now it will cost him 1.07 million. What are the chances he gets a contract for the rest of this season that will cover the loss.Be careful what you wish for Gomer !

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

• Sportfan says:

# seconds later he changed it apparently they still pay the full salary, but at least this guys like Redden and Gomez a chance to play this season if the buy out happens now. I really hope a western team takes gomez so we don’t get burned by him haha

• 24 Cups says:

Looks like I finally got one right!

However, there is a downside for Gomez. I estimate his salary to be about 3.3M this season so he just lost 1.1M in order to become an UFA. He also loses another 1.5M for each of the two upcoming seasons. If he quits/retires now, then the NHLPA just cost him 1.1M. If he plays, then he needs to earn 4.3M in the next three years to break even. If his groin holds up, he could easily do that.

Not so sure about Redden getting NHL work for three more years. Who knows, Dmen are at a premium these days. Someone might bite.

EDIT: Bob McKenzie’s 2nd post cancels my ‘however’.

• jon514 says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

New Central Scouting rankings are out.

21. Ron says:

NHL and NHLPA have come to an agreement to allow one buyout before this season start and the second one in summer. The buyout before season start counts towards this years cap. Summer buyout does not count. Tweeted by Kyproes

22. HABitual Fan says:

I was not a Gomez fan from the start, but I would dearly love to have had his ability! I always sensed a level of arrogance from the guy that I found irritating. Those of us who have been cheering for this team for 50+ years have difficulty warming up to a guy who gives the impression he has been doing us a favor gracing us with his presence. He never really got it …the honor of wearing that jersey. Nevertheless, I believe he deserves another shot…somewhere…preferably far west!

It may not be a huge amount, but good on the owners for increasing pensions for players 65 and over.

24. GomezHair says:

Kudos to the PA/NHL for working out the Gomez/Redden situation expeditiously. Where was that cooperation during the lockout?

end transmission.

25. Old Bald Bird says:

There is a case to be made for paying a player whatever he is worth, whatever his age or years of experience. Determining his worth is beyond me, but it PK’s case, I think he’s worth quite a lot.

26. bleedhabs81 says:

So, it is unfair that Gomez is being told to go home?

Would he rather be in the press box every night and limited in his practices?

I do agree that not playing will affect his ability to find work. I mean, he can audition for a job with a team during next years training camp, but that is really only a tryout for one team. Having him play this year would at least give all 30 teams a decent look, right? Maybe help to inflate his next contract a little?

Well, here is a brilliant idea! Gomez, who is concerned about his ability to play in the future, walks into MB’s office and tells him he would like out of his contract. Void it. Make it so.

Is that allowe? Or does the CBA have some weird clause that states once the contract is signed it is final even if both parties agree it should be void?

Then POOF. Gomez is a free agent and free to play with whomever wants him.

Wait… what? He won’t get his MILLIONS OF DOLLARS??? But I thought he just wanted to play???? So which is it? Rich son of B or Hockey Player (who is not so bad off)????

I don’t hate Gomez, but if he is able to get out of his contract and he is serious about wanting to maintain his livelihood, then by all means forfeit the money and prove you are not a spoiled brat (like your fellow players… wait… former fellow players).

27. twilighthours says:

PK needs to sign ASAP, because I’m not sure I can handle reading (ok, skipping over) too many more posts assassinating his character and/or screaming for a trade.

Dave Hodge delivering his usual dry and witty humour in regards to Lance Armstrong confession.

TSNDaveHodge: I’m so used to not believing Lance Armstrong that I now think he rode clean.

29. Ron says:

The Bulldogs play in Abbotsford tonight missing the call ups to the Habs camp. Should be an interesting match since 9 Heat players are at the Flames camp. All the new fill ins should make for an unusual game.

30. Cal says:

Question: wasn’t there a practice session today? If so, where the hell is the coverage?

31. Ron says:

Kypreos tweeted that the NHL and NHLPA have come to an agreement to compliance buyouts such as Gomez and Redden. Details to follow

32. mark-ID says:

To try and settle this between the team and PK, I would like to see them offer him 2 years at 5M/season.

Montreal gets their short term, and PK is getting a bit more then he probably should at this point. If he didn’t live up to his potential after two seasons, Montreal can go long term at less then 5M per…or decide to move him.
    but if PK performs above and beyond…..He will be in for a huge pay day. Long term, high money.

I think this would be fair for both sides…..what do you all think>??

• ed lopaz says:

5 million per is very fair. But Bergevin is not thinking that way.

Bergevin’s 2 year offer is closer to 3 million then it is to 5 million – at least that’s the rumor on the street.

• Cal says:

I’ve been suggesting this for a couple days. Term is for 3rd timers.
      If Meehan thinks PK is worth more, tough titty. So there, nyah, nyah, nyah!

• 24 Cups says:

Meet in the middle at 4.5 and Subban can be on the ice by tomorrow.

Sadly, I get the feeling that these two contracts are much more than just player-team negotiations. Having said that, there’s still lots of time. The only concern is that players who start the season late struggle to catch up. That may not be an issue in light of the short time span.

33. Habfan10912 says:

@burly. Your redraft of 2007 is a classic. Hard to disagree with such fandom bud. :)

34. BJ says:

Disliking the Subban “stance” more and more. If Meehan and PK think they are in the same category as posted by ont fan: “Yikes…Don Meehan says they aren’t close with the Subban contract. On Sportsnet right now. Probably won’t be in lineup Sat. Meehan feels like Subban is comparable to Hall, Seguin, Skinner and Vander Kane.”. Evander Kane is overpaid and Subban is not in the others category yet or maybe ever. I’m sticking with MB on this one. This is where Gainey’s throwing in McDonagh for Gomez is killing us and in a sense Subban/Meehan are basically doing a hostage number on the Habs. So Subban you can look good in another jersey (providing we get someone equitable in return) or hope to see you as a replacement weatherman.

35. Bripro says:

There’s a lot of hate for Gomez on this site (and off).
    But let’s be honest, if he can’t play this year, his career is probably over.
    And IMO, that’s not cool.
    Everyone goes through a funk in life, regardless of circumstance.
    He was injured a lot last year.
    But I can’t get his playoff 2010 performance out of my head.
    He was very good.
    And let’s face it, a rookie of the year usually isn’t washed up after 13 years.
    I regret that we didn’t see how he would make amends this year.
    Although I won’t really miss him being on our Habs for the season, I still feel sorry for him (yes…even with his millions).

• donmarco says:

I don’t disagree with your views at all, but propose a solution.

• Bripro says:

I think 24′s proposed solution to buy him out now, with it only applying against next year’s cap would be fair.
        That way, as previously stated, he becomes an UFA now, and would be available to other teams.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s not up to the Habs to decide, though.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 24 Cups says:

Mattyleg – I agree. It’s a league issue (in both cases) and the compromise is a one time solution that only impacts two players. It’s fair, doable and timely. It could be worked out before the first puck drops.

• Kooch7800 says:

First off, just to point I agree it does suck for Gomez. My only objection is that the reason these players are in the situation is they are grossly over paid vs their skill level. So by the solution of the instant buy out Gomez and Redden get their money for the next two seasons and on top of that get another contract possibly for this year…
          That seems a little unfair to the organization paying them. More so than them not playing for three months.

their next contract should be credited back this year and in the summer it is all over

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• donmarco says:

So you’re suggesting reopening the CBA? The solution has to respect that framework, and frankly, with 4 months to go until the end of the season Gomez’ value won’t change much. I have no doubt he will be of interest to other teams next summer. To me, there’s no difference to the parent team whether he’s sent to Hamilton or home. They’re still on the hook. It’s the addition of the injury free status that screwed him and that was negotiated by his own union.

• HardHabits says:

The mistake is not allowing teams to buy out contracts when the player is injured. Given this provision the Habs had no choice but to send Gomez home. If the league wins the Habs are under no obligation to play Gomez. He can eat (EDIT) hot-dogs for the rest of the season.

What isn’t cool is being Gomez.

Gomez is not going through a funk in life. He is not worth his cap hit and in a salary cap situation he’s a ticket to another Tanked™ season if the Habs are forced to dress him. He was injured a lot last season and by the looks of how was skating at this years camp he looks like he’s one pirouette away from another groin tweak.

His 2010 performance wasn’t that good. Halak, Cammy, Gionta and Plez easily out performed him.

Gomez is washed up. Face facts Bri.

He will still get paid for doing squat. How come nobody was up in arms when the Habs told Laracque to go home?

Gomez should retire. But he wont because he has no honour.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I feel bad for the guy but the frustration of paying him superstar money, money that could be played to another player that would score 80, 90 or 100 points a season, makes me happy he’s gone.

We should have had a player like Anze Kopitar or Brad Richards for that type of cap hit.

• twilighthours says:

Bri,

if Gomez were to finish this year as a Hab this year, his career would still probably be over. That’s his own fault.

• melski says:

Kent Douglas

36. frontenac1 says:

Ok this is my first post on the PK situation.Mehan is a good agent.He is doing his job,that is why he gets paid the big bucks.Everytime the issue was brought up with PK when he was on Sportsne he always said he trusts his agent to handle it and why wouldn’t he.That’s why he is paying him.I think a deal will get done at some point,but who knows when.I seem to remember a few years back when Plecks threatened arbitration and everyone freaked but a deal was done.I just don’t buy that PK is being a jerk or thinking he is Gods gift to Dmen. His agent is driving the bus and knows what he is doing.IMO.

• donmarco says:

PK has no arbitration rights, and Meehan might be driving PK’s bus but he’s not driving Bergevin’s. while it makes us nuts, it’s a waiting game. But the longer PK holds out the frostier his welcome will be when he comes back. And he will come back, unless he never wants to play again. His status won’t change if he sits out the season.

• punkster says:

Thing is, the players aren’t amateurs. As pros and members of the PA, who have just gone through a long battle, I imagine most would not hold anything against a fellow member who tries for the best deal possible. They would do exactly the same thing if in the same position. Wouldn’t you?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

LOL, Capgeek appears to have a new category in which to list players.

If you check out the link and scroll down you will find a category for players called – Buried, I don’t think I need to mention whose body you will find there.

It looks like the Subban and Benn contracts are going to be test cases for the league and the new CBA. The NHL totally blew it by not addressing the second contract issue. It’s a case of overinflated, long term deals that give huge contracts to players who have yet to pay their dues (in the old sense of the word). It throws a major monkey wrench into a team’s salary grid while also putting immense pressure upon small market teams.

In many ways, it was just as big an issue as the front loaded contracts given to players like Kovalchuk, Hossa and Weber.

My money is on the players winning this battle (of course it will mean other players miss out). The only question now is will some loose cannon throw out an offer sheet. Paging Mr. Holmgren.

I wonder if the league in some regards would have been better off at a 51/49 (players with 51)split with caps on 2nd contracts. THey start the ball rolling for ridiculous contracts.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think the Flyers have real cap issues, don’t they? That’s part of the issue these RFA’s are having. There is no real alternative for them. Not many clubs offered other teams RFA’s contracts often in the past anyway.

• donmarco says:

Flyers have 1.7 to spend with 25 players already signed. Some are on 2 way contracts but it won’t save them enough to free up the money for an offer sheet. So you’re right. But after what they did to Weber they’d be the ones I’d worry about.

• 24 Cups says:

Pronger’s cap hit is a shade under 5M. They also have an extra player or two over the 23 man limit on their cap payroll. It would be tight, but doable. (although I’m not sure of the timing for Pronger going on LTIR) Timonen has one year left and will be 38. Pronger is likely to never play again. Subban, at just 23 years of age, would be heaven sent. With the exception of goaltending, the Flyers would have totally re-tooled their team with a host of solid, young players. Only drawback would be the picks going the other way.

Holmgren doesn’t need Benn, he needs Subban.

I am dedicating this song to all the folks out there who are missing PK “Since he’s been gone” May all of you find gold at the end of the rainbow.

40. HABZ24 says:

Sign pk, sign pk ,sign pk. Dont care how much im not paying it.so excited about galchenyuk.

GO HABS GO

41. CCL says:

What ever MB has in mind for PK. I hope he sticks to it. hey, PK is a good young player, but he’s not exceptional. maybe down the road. we don’t know. injuries is gonna be the key to PK’s career. so be aware of paying big bucks they could shoot themselves in the foot again like the Gomez deal.

• Habfan10912 says:

I understand what you are saying but I will add this. I think the only real debate here is what is the value of a PK contract for his restricted years. There is NO debate that in PK we have one of the brightest young stars of the league and on top of that, he is a defenceman which makes him even more attractive. If PK were an UFA he’d have been signed way before now. By someone. MB cannot let this drag on too much longer and PK probably needs to work as well. One thing we can all agree on, this team is much better off with him then without.

• K-hab25 says:

Not really a fair way to look at it IMO. If Del Zotto was a UFA he would’ve got alot more than 2.5 mill and Jamie Benn would’ve been signed aswell. Problem is they’re not UFA’s, they’re RFA’s, so they don’t get paid like they’re on the open market, because they’re not.

• Habfan10912 says:

Valid points K. What I was trying to say, rather poorly I might add, is its more likely the value of these restricted years are where the Habs look for a “discount” on those UFA years since they are paying above market for the RFA years. Perhaps that’s the sticking point? I think you and I are saying something similar but you are saying it much better then I.

42. Hobie Hansen says:

Can we ever play the Leafs when we’ve got a full lineup or not be coming off a game the night before? Pisses me off!

There’s always a big player missing from our lineup or we’ve played the night before and they haven’t. And if they beat us they act like they’ve won the Stanley cup.

If a Habs fan brings up we’re missing Subban and Plekanec we’re all of a sudden making excuses or whiners.

Geese that bugs me!!!!

• Saintpatrick33 says:

That’s because beating the Habs is their stanley cup. Leaf fans are losers and they know it. Beating the Habs is the closest they’ll ever come to success they’ll never sniff another cup final for quite some time.

• Dr.Rex says:

I have noticed for awhile that everytime we play in Toronto on a Saturday night we always have a game the night before. This is strange considering the habs rarely play on Friday nights.

This may partly explain that the three four games a year at the ACC usually rank among their worst games of the year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve attended plenty of games in Montreal over the Years , with friends that are Leafs fans, where Montreal has played the night before and Toronto has not.

Does Toronto ever play a game the night before facing Montreal with the Habs having a rest?

Well Colton Orr did dislocate a finger at practise yesterday, Gardner probably won’t be in lineup and they still have to play Komisarek, so they have their issues as well. :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think loss of Subban and Plekanec far outweighs the loss of Gardner and Orr.

Plekanec is supposed to be ready to go I think though?

I know you were being sarcastic btw :-).

43. HabFanSince72 says:

One way to decide how much PK deserves is to replay the draft from his draft year (2007).

Here are the players who have played more or as many NHL games as PK (round and number picked at the start):

1 1 Chicago Patrick Kane
    1 13 St. Louis Lars Eller
    2 43 Montreal P.K. Subban
    1 14 Colorado Kevin Shattenkirk
    1 24 Calgary Mikael Backlund
    1 16 Minnesota Colton Gillies
    1 12 Montreal Ryan McDonagh

Who would you pick at numbers 1-5 in that year?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFanSince72 says:

My redraft would be:

1. Patrick Kane
      2. PK Subban
      3. David Perron
      4. Jamie Benn
      5. Logan Couture
      6. Ryan McDonagh

Kane has a $6.2M cap hit, Perron $3.8M

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• bwoar says:

Kane
      Benn
      Shattenkirk
      Subban
      Couture
      Pacioretty

From a completely unbiased non habs perspective, my list would be:

1. Max Pac
      2. Lars Eller
      3. PK Subban
      4. Ryan McDonagh

• Bripro says:

Patrick Kane
      Max Pac
      McDonagh
      Couture
      Subban

• Cal says:

Sorry, 72. I can’t pretend he was drafted higher than 43. He does not get the same kind of money a top 5 pick gets after his first contract ends.

• Habfan10912 says:

Cal, I think you captured the essence of the issue here. It’s more comparable salary analysis as opposed to performance based. As a strong PK supporter that’s why I tend to side with PK.

• commandant says:

When he’s outperformed most of the 42 players drafted ahead of him, he deserves to be paid like one of the best 5 players in that draft.

I’d rather pay him big money than give it to Kyle Turris or something

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• 24 Cups says:

Spot on, Cal. Two years at 4M a season and then break the bank.

• krob1000 says:

might not be the same answer 2 or three years from now either though…so you sign him for 5 years..he pulls a Schenn…Mcdonaugh becomes a perrenial all star, Backlund scores 75 points, Eller gets top wingers, Turris clicks with someone, Paciorety continues his climb, JVR produces when given top line duty, Gagner has chemistry with one of the many talented wingers and finally reaches his potential…tons of possibilities and that is the risk of a long term deal on a kid. Subban is also a legit injury risk long term…not shown it but his style surely makes one wonder if it isn’t a matter of time, he hits with reckless abandon and is always a target for opponents….that to me is a quality to his game but if you were spending 20 million dollars it may make you wonder. HOw good is Nathan Beaulieu? or Diaz for that matter, is Markov gonna be fine for another 3 years now that he has? is Kaberle actaully being in shape going to make a difference? Is Subban going to be the number one guy this year or is Markov? is Beaulieu going to be better? is PK’s reputation (although I belive it to be fabricated) too much of a distraction?
      Many questions….that do not have answers that must be tempering managements offers.

• K-hab25 says:

1. Kane
      2. Benn
      3. Pacioretty
      4. McDonaugh
      5. Subban

Man that damn Gomez trade just looks worse & worse. :-(

44. commandant says:

A look at the Gomez grievance. A legal analysis of what is going on.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• 24 Cups says:

Allowing both players to become UFAs as of this precise moment is the perfect compromise. The clubs get what they need in cap relief and the notion that these moves hinder future earnings for Gomez and Redden is nullified. A once in a lifetime (CBA) problem is quickly rectified even before the season starts and ends any animosity between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Now as for Visnosvsky, that’s an entirely different matter which could become a real sticky wicket.

• von says:

How about this scenario: Gomez and Redden become UFAs. Habs resign Gomez, ala Armstrong, for a million bones. There, everybody’s happy again!

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• Strummer says:

They should pay for the privilege of being granted immediate UFA status.

How about moving the buyout date to today? They would get 2/3 of their 2013 salary.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree. It is slanted to the players benefit only. We are talking about three months playing time here not a real season

Gomez did also play in the ECHL this year…

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Kooch7800 says:

The issue I have with the immediate buyout this year and next is that it is only good for the player really. So Gomez collects his 5.5 mill and then will get another million to play somewhere else. Redden the exact same situation.

I am not all for the league but that to me seems a bit crazy. So gomez gets more money for sucking and having a huge contract? It would be more fair if he was an immediate free agent with the buy out and if he gets another contract that money goes back to MTL till the end of the season

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• HardHabits says:

I disagree. The NHLPA screwed themselves on this one. How come no-one was up in arms when the Habs sent BGL home?

Here’s my proposal in view of the NHLPA Redden/Gomez grievance.

The issue here is that teams can’t buy out players when injured. Well, there is the problem. IMO teams should be able to buy out players even if injured. If this were the case Gomez could be sent to the minors or loaned to a European team without fear of injury, because let’s face it, Gomez is one blue zone entry away from another pulled groin. As well, if this provision were in the CBA it could possibly make Gomez tradable. Possibly.

I also think that buy-outs should not count against the cap. People might argue that this would be too much of a benefit for the rich teams. The current situation is too much of a benefit for the poorer teams. Why should hockey markets suffer because the league expands into places where they have a hard time giving tickets away?

If there is to be a salary cap, if poor teams are to be rewarded for sucking with high draft picks, if the weaker markets are to propped up by fans in markets that shell out big bucks because they love the game, then these provisions should be written into the CBA.

Teams should be able to buy out injured players and all buy outs should not count against the cap. That is a fair system for the teams and the players. Teams get to ensure they can skate the best product and players get compensated for sucking. Win/win.

• donmarco says:

NHLPA screwed themselves on this one. They can’t rewrite the CBA. Since this is a one time occurrence it’s doubtful they will win a grievance and what would happen if they did? You can’t force a team to play them. The mistake was putting off the amnesty buyout, and only if player is uninjured. It’s a joke when they claim this lowers a players possible value. Gomez and Redden have zero value now, and at least they can claim they’re in the best shape of their lives next year when they’re free to negotiate with any team.

46. Psycho29 says:

Scott Walker disagrees with Aaron Ward’s opinion on PK Subban:

47. B says:

Anyone notice the very attractive logo for NCAA St. Cloud State University? I noticed it on their hockey jersey and there’s just something about it that I really like.

–Go Habs Go!–

48. ont fan says:

Yikes…Don Meehan says they aren’t close with the Subban contract. On Sportsnet right now. Probably won’t be in lineup Sat. Meehan feels like Subban is comparable to Hall, Seguin, Skinner and Vander Kane. Very proffessional negotiations.

• habsfan0 says:

If Subban isn’t signed by weekend,can we expect to see him back on Sportsnet?

• jedimyrmidon says:

Subban won’t be traded. But the Habs need Subban at the start of the season. Looks like Meehan said the right thing to pressure Bergevin.

• Kooch7800 says:

He also said the league and nhlpa are discussing the gomez/Redden situation and there will be a solution hopefully tomorrow.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• donmarco says:

Wait a minute. He’s going public with this and still calling it professional? Sounds like negotiations have hit a snag here. While everyone speaks positively about Meehan, he’s still an agent. I suspect he’s waiting to see if some team (hello Flyers) will submit an offer sheet which the Habs will have no choice but to match. Said it before, PK has limited options, but if he holds out, and Habs start slowly, it’s goodbye love affair with the fans.

• New says:

Naw he meant the Canadiens were being professional. It is up to Bergevin and team to describe the agent’s negotiations as professional don’t you think. So far they have said they want to sign PK. I can’t wait to see who they get and what is involved. This could be a real turning point for the team.

• donmarco says:

I’d be happier with an “unprofessional” negotiation if it brought results faster. Bergevin’s holds the cards and clearly won’t be bullied into a contract that doesn’t fit with his plans. PK’s value will skyrocket if he signs a short term deal and performs.

• krob1000 says:

The Subban contract is a huge deal to Meehan, all NHL agents, all NHL owners and all future second contracts for the next foreseeable future….that is why the concern of nothing getting done is a very real possibility. If the Habs sign him for 5.5 million dollars…what was the point of the lockout? that is what he would have got pre lockout.
      This contract has bigger implications that it appears IMO and will be srcutinized by every team, agent, nhlpa member,etc…..if the whole game can shutdown for a half season…I don’t see how PK gets resolved right away unless he botes the bullet a bit because I believe Molson wil stick to his guns…whatever number he has he probably won’t budge much from.
      IF PK were to get traded…thenwhat happens? he gets traded and still has no contract…so someone else gives hima ton of money? and then again what was the point of the lockout? These second contracts for semi proven players is one of the biggest reasons for inflation in salaries.
      I do not think it a coincidence that Benn and Subban are the tow guys that have been left unsigned…they are both second contract guys who were huge parts of their teams…but both have only been around a short period and there is a ton of risk going forward for any team that signs them for big money long term.
      Both are good players….and both have room for improvement….but what happens is vets who have similar numbers over longer periods of time get less money because teams roll the dice on these younger guys on a potential ceiling….driving up the costs and driving down the salaries of middle class players in some cases. This also then drvies up the costs of higher end players who say..hey I have been doing this for 8 years and this kid makes nearly what I do,etc,etc.
      It is interesting but with Markov back, Beaulieu in the wings, KAberle in shape, Diaz playing well during the lockout,etc…there is a chance …a very good one Molson/Bergevin digs their heels in…and PK? he is a kid who will likely do whatever Meehan suggests he do….and where is his interest?

• commandant says:

What was the point of the lockout?

The players get 50% of HRR… whether that is in second contracts, ELCs, first contracts, whatever… it doesn’t matter. The owners have the protection they need via Escrow.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• krob1000 says:

The 50/50 split was expected all along and agreed to quite a while ago….if that were the only concern they should have been playing hockey months ago. The second contracts are what drove up salaries and will again …. what is the point of owning a players rights for those young years if you are paying them all like vets or they hold out/demand trade/become offer sheet targets

• commandant says:

They are players who are NOT under contract. They get to use all the powers given to them to get paid what they deserve.

If a guy on his second contract is a better player than a UFA on his 3rd or 4th deal, I don’t have an issue with him being paid more.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• bwoar says:

The point of the lockout apparently was the players’ pension fund.

49. Bripro says:

The Habs were 5 & 12 in shootouts last year.
    This year, it should be different.
    The Habs are currently on the ice practicing shootouts.
    There might be a lot into that.
    And since MB has Gally on every shootout shift, is it possible that they’re considering keeping him beyond the 5 games?
    I’m still wondering what will be better for his development.
    Here or Sarnia. Has he maxed out in Sarnia?
    Does he have the mental make-up for that?

• K-hab25 says:

I just don’t think sending him back helps his development any. If anything, it could make him complacent. He has nothing left to prove there. Personally I think staying is what’s best for his development. Price & Pacioretty were “rushed” and despite some ups and downs they’re our 2 best players. On the other hand AK46 spent 2 years in Hamilton and he still hasn’t figured it out. To me guys are going to have ups and downs early in their career, if you’re not a contender, then I think you can live with young guys learning on the job and we’re definitely not contenders.

• longbow says:

It is unfortunate that rules prevent him from playing in the AHL at his age. I agree that he has nothing left to prove in junior but as much as I would like to see him on the big team I think playing the rest of the season in the AHL would be better. Maybe the rule needs a re-think to allow a limited number of 18/19 year old players to jump to the AHL. Perhaps 1 player per NHL team. The problem with that however is it would use up a year of the ELC.

50. Habfan10912 says:

I’m just remembering watching game after game of watching how difficult the Habs had getting the puck out of their own end. Imagine how much worse that will be without PK.

———————————–

So you need to now picture Markov helping with this. :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup, that’s why you need two puck moving defensemen and four big and nasty guys who can knock opposing forwards off the puck and flip it to center ice or shoot it off the boards.

Montreal is far from having that. They have two puck moving defensemen in Markov and Subban but it’s pretty shaky after that. Once Subban signs…

51. nunacanadien says:

Scott Gomez is doing nothing much these days….

52. fuhgawz says:

It has been FOREVER since i posted anything on HIO glad hockey is back and can not wait to be reading the debates, live blogs, the morning after, and the rest of the articles once again. Glad to be back. Hello to all again.

Now ……. PK signing news would be nice to see.

• Timo says:

The lack of PK signing news created controversy.

• fuhgawz says:

I have missed it Timo but doesnt surprise me at all. Lots of different opinions and minds on this site. Besides who needs a PK when you can have a MAB right?

• Timo says:

Looks like you and me are the only ones that see it.

• Habfan10912 says:

We start playing many games without PK everyone will be begging for MAB.

• fuhgawz says:

My opinion is if PK has a self worth idealist attitude then we should ditch him for a scoring winger. PK is easily replaced his mouth maybe isn’t. He’s a great young player but if he thinks he is worth what is being reported, i hate to say it but he isn’t that great …… not yet.

that being said …. i still hope we sign him.

• punkster says:

Thing is nothing has actually been “reported”…so far it’s all speculation and any side you take in the discussion can back up their speculation with irrefutable “facts”.

It’ll play out, he’ll sign, and no matter what the terms are half the crowd in here will be be pissed…and we’ll all forget about it by March.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

53. Sportfan says:

I saw the aaron ward talk before, honestly I feel he is like PJ Stock when it comes to hockey opinion (who gives a crap) he’s not a great analyst and always was a so so player so I am not surprised he’s like Matthew Barnaby or Mike Milbury idiots and really bad at analyzing hockey

Just wrote a new article this time about hockey check it out :)

54. frontenac1 says:

ILast night on L”Antichambre ,Carbo mentioned that if Gally sticks, management must have him live with a family because as an 18yr old living on his own in Mtl.it would be a big mistake.So my question to posters in Montreal is ,who would like to open the bidding?

55. Kooch7800 says:

For those of us in the need of a laugh

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

56. habstrinifan says:

Hey Aaron? Any opinions on Jamie Benn’s need for magnanimity!

Or is he doing things the ‘WHITE’ way and therefore is ok by you!

I guess it takes a black sensitivity to understand a white hockey player singling out a black athlete who is doing what other WHITE athletes are doing also.

Breathe deep Aaron, and others, and realize that to YOU he IS different because he IS BLACK… and I would tell you this to your f..ing face.

• Loonie says:

Not sure that race is involved but you make a good point.

• Timo says:

I am not sure either, but I just enjoy a good rant and Trini delivered.

• habstrinifan says:

I gotta tell you there’s a big grin on my face too. Sometimes discomfort is irritatingly beneficially exciting. It’s like that hardly used shorts which rides… well you get the picture.

• habstrinifan says:

If you take a million white folks and a million black folks.. describe to them(exactly) the circumstances and the comments you would get the following:

Majority of million white folks will say “I am not sure race is involved”.

Majority of million black folks will say “Very likely perspective based on race”.

Wonder in which million you would find the truism of the old adage “A million people can’t be wrong”. Oh wait it might depend on the race of the one judging the millions.

And so it goes ..ON and ON! Think about it!

• bwoar says:

Reactionary; deleted.

So Seth Jones is now Central Scoutings #1.

Of special interest to some here, Duclair in at #35.

58. bwoar says:

I’m surprised at the negative reactions (by some) to Aaron Ward’s comment:

“This is an opportunity for Subban to show his teammates, fans, doubters and management that he is a team first guy”

This is a perfect opportunity to do that, it’s a fact. Ward’s *opinion* that PK ought to do just that is his opinion, which he’s paid to express. You may disagree with him, but calling it slanderous is complete bull.

It is up to “his teammates, fans, doubters and management” to form their own opinions about PK’s dedication to the team. I don’t personally have an issue with anything that he’s done. Given the lockout some of his TV antics may come off as unseemly, let’s say, but he’s got one of those personalities that simply find their way into the spotlight. I don’t interpret that as selfishness, but the ***healthy*** ego of a young man in full control of his means, who knows where he’s headed – up to the top. That kind of confidence is a good thing, unless you have a loser mentality (and trust me, coming from WPG, I know a thing or two about loser mentalities.)

Ward is correct – there’s an opportunity for PK make a grand gesture. Whether or not it is necessary is debatable, but he’s absolutely right. I get that PK has every right to gun for every cent he can – the owners just locked the players out trying to do the same – but there’s no need to pile it on when a talking head says something that’s completely obvious.

• The Jackal says:

Straight up, neigh.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Loonie says:

Then why not say the same of Tyler Myers, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Drew Doughty and Erik Karlsson.

I understand that Myers is the only true comparable in any area outside of the second contract nonsense but the fact remains that Subban is a lightning rod for criticism. Why not say that those same players could have made the same gesture? Why wasn’t it an issue when they were up for re-negotiation?

Ward’s comments appeared to me at least to be directed toward Subban, not necessarily about him. A segment that was meant to illustrate that the perception out there is that he isn’t about the team.

There isn’t a member of the Montreal Canadiens who is playing on a discounted contract for the “good of the team”. Why should Subban have to agree to one?

• bwoar says:

Pretty sure Max Pac could’ve played harder to get, in my view his salary is mildly discounted.

For sure, the same could’ve been said for any of the players you named. But none of them is currently an RFA negotiating a contract, and it’s really just that simple. There’s no agenda to single out PK from that group, save for one anyone tries to put there.

I think Subban receives his share of unfair criticism, so I understand the sensitivity when a media wonk alludes to what they think he ought to do, or what he should accept, but you’re stretching out a pair of deuces as though it’s a full house. To be clear, I think he has every right to pursue his career as he sees fit, and I don’t think less of him for negotiating hard with Bergevin. You won’t find me in with the ‘trade the bum’ slugheads. Far from it. But I can’t deny that the kid has an opportunity to turn a few heads here if he chooses to.

• Timo says:

Why? No one else puts the team ahead of themselves? I think playing for the love of the game is long gone – it’s all about dollars and cents and why settle for less when you can get more?

That’s not to say I won’t be mighty pissed at Bergevin if Habs lose PK but still… from his perspective, if he can get more $$$ why not?

Gomer did it.

In case anybody missed it. I called Gomez “a smug and smarmy purveyor of putrid and petulant platitudes.”

That’s my way of cussing somebody out.

:-D

60. Habs and Horns says:

Looking for a little help from the people on the forum. I’ve been reading since the sites inception, but never really needed to comment.

Both my Dad and I are life long Alberta Habs fans. He turns 60 this year and we’re celebrating by finally going to see the Habs play in Montreal. The april 6th game vs the bruins. Flights are booked, just hoping I can get tickets when they become available this Sunday.

Just looking for some advice about some hotels, restaurants, bars. Anything we must do/see?

Can’t wait to finally see a Habs home game, and if they can stick it to the bruins then even better!

• Loonie says:

Cue the adult entertainment venue comments in 3…..2……1…..

Sounds like a great trip, good for you and your dad. I am sure the locals on here will be able to provide some good advice. CHeers!

• shiram says:

Bofingers on University is good for inexpensive BBQ meal.
      There’s a Baton Rouge next to the Bell Center, pricier and fancier than Bofingers, and a step above food-wise also.

Maybe try to see the Old Forum, it’s not too far away from the Bell.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’d say the best affordable downtown hotel is the Sofitel. Well situated and close to the Bell Ctr. Certainly worth the slight premium over the other Sherbrooke St hotels.

Cultural must sees include the new museum of fine arts Canadian Pavilion on Sherbrooke St. Built in an old church, it is a beautiful design, and there’s even a large painting of Ken Dryden’s mask. Entrance is free.

The most enjoyable restaurant in Montreal is Joe Beef – you need to book a few weeks ahead on opentable.com.

Strip clubs get more liberal as you move away from the downtown core.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• donmarco says:

You shouldn’t have any problems finding a hotel room in early April. The Sheraton is probably the closest name hotel to the Bell Centre and within walking distance of most places you’ll want to visit. If you want a memorable meal go where some players go, Moishe’s. you’ll have to cab it but they’re open late and you could go right after the game, best steaks in the city. Try Hurley’s pub on Crescent, again just a short walk from the Bell Centre. If you’re ok with a little “seedier” bar, my favorite is Ziggy’s, also on Crescent And yes, try a strip club or 2 just to say you did. I’ll refrain from recommending any good art galleries or where to shop. I’m sure you’ll find the city very welcoming. Just don’t wear Bruins gear.

• Bripro says:

If you’re looking for good cheap lunch, Wilenski’s on Fairmount is very plain old decor, but the food’s good.
      A block over is Fairmount bagels….the best in the world.
      If you get a chance, visit the Biodome.
      A world-class eco centre in the Olympic village.
      The best pizza anywhere is on the South Shore. It’s called Como.
      Speaking of which, when you’re coming in and you want a beautiful view (night time especially), come across the Champlain Bridge.
      Downtown, the best watering hole is MaClean’s pub.
      Chez Paré (I’m told) is the best strip club around.
      Or just take a walk down Saint Catherine street to the Artists’ grounds.
      It’s a glorious walk and you’ll truly enjoy, I’m sure.
      As for getting tickets, unless it’s changed, you can only order games for the month starting the 15th of the month before. But I may be wrong.
      And I agree with 24 on the Fine Arts Museum.
      We’re fortunate to live in a beautiful city. Hope you enjoy.

• Habs and Horns says:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’m sure we are going to have a blast. I just wish we had a week and not a weekend to take it all in.

• donmarco says:

BTW, don’t rent a car. It’s a waste of money. Montreal is a walking city and as long as your hotel is near the BC you shouldn’t be more than 2 blocks from anywhere you want to go. Nice thing you’re doing for your Dad.

• Mondou6 says:

I concur with HabFanSince70 about the Sofitel being a nice hotel.

For pre-game dinner, I like Entrecote St. Jean. It opens at 5, so you can get in and out before the game. And it’s only a short walk to the Centre Bell. They have steak, or steak.

For tickets, I use StubHub, I don’t even bother trying to get them any other way.

Have fun, it’s a blast to go to to a game, and even better if it’s your first home game.

• Habs and Horns says:

Took your advice and just did stubhub, I’m too impatient and didn’t want to get skunked out on the day they go on sale.

Sec 114 for not too much over the face value. If you only go once every 60 years you might as well get good seats!

61. Carta-Hab says:

Over 9000!

Okay IF and or WHEN PK signs (or minor trade is announced), what will be the hit count on HI/O. I am thinking from time of announcement over the next 24hours, 2,000 comments.

Is that a fair over/under? I am leaning towards raising the number.

63. Ron says:

Stubbs tweets that the practice facility is packed again today. Commodore on ice wearing #25

64. habsfan0 says:

So..what will happen first?

PK signs a contract,
    Or…

Mike Boone makes a reappearance on hockey inside/out?

The comments against PK were fabricated to make news and controversy, garbage reporting by someone who knows no more than we do about his contract.
    Just leave it alone, it will all work out.

• 44har48 says:

Agree Ian. Let him hold out and let this play out. He has no leverege as an RFA and the Habs have no reason to lock him up long term and/or for big $$s right now – he simply thinks he is better and more expereinced than he really is at this point. I’m with our GM and let’s move on to Saturday with what we have in camp.

66. Chrisadiens says:

Ok. Let me preface this by saying I love PK. Absolutely love him. I was at the game where he scored the overtime winner and posed “archer” style.

That said. Let PK hold out. The Habs have to think long term here and handcuffing the team, cap wise makes zero sense. We are on the right path but not there yet. MB will not cave under the MTL pressure and sign PK to a big deal just to please fans. And for that I am glad. Let MB play some hard ball.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Perhaps until we know the future contract status of PK, this site could change its name to PK/InsideOut? :)

68. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m not sure that Aaron Ward “crossed a line”. Agree or not with his opinion, it is a free country and a sports commentator has the right to say what he wants, as long as it isn’t libelous. He may be a busybody, but I don’t think he did anything remotely unethical.

If I said, for example, “I don’t think Tom Nickle should wear brown, it just doesn’t suit him – and did you see that tie – what the hell is he thinking?” – have I crossed the line or am I just giving unwanted advice?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Loonie says:

Ward’s comments regarding Subban if not over the line were very close to it.

If I’m Bergevin and don’t care about the relationship between Meehan/Subban and myself, I’m showing them that video clip to illustrate there’s a perception out there that he’s selfish and not about the team.

That comes very close to being slanderous.

And you’re right. Brown is definitely not my colour.

I have heard other Talking bobbleheads on both networks talk about what guys should or shouldn’t sign for. I think for whatever reason PK is a lightning rod for controversy.

I have noticed that now since PK spent time on SPortsnet, they speak in much higher regard of him, or at least it seems that way. I seem to recall the Greek God of Hockey himself Kypreos being pretty hard on PK in the past and now he seems much more positive.

Heck I even wonder if TSN folks are jealous they didn’t have PK on so they take opposite approach.

I am very skeptical of all media, especially Bell and Rogers owned media at this time. As I think they are all jaded.

End of day, could care less what Aaron Ward says, just as I didn’t give a crap what he said during lockout.

• Loonie says:

I’ve seen the same Gerald. But I don’t recall any banter in recent years about a player being selfish for not being a good soldier and sucking up a bad contract.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Compare what Ward said to the raw sewage that comes flowing out of Coach’s Corner every Saturday night.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Kooch7800 says:

I have to agree 72′. I don’t think what he said was over the line either. It is an opinion no different than someone saying that Semin got way to much money on his last contract….these opinions have nothing to do with actual negotiation and have zero impact.

If you think MB and Meehan are watching TSN to figure out what players are worth you are nuts. They have been exchanging offers and they have their camps and are talking.

The deal will get done but I am not sure by the first game. PK may have to miss a few.

I really like PK as a player but the habs GM realizes that they have a lot of young D coming up that are going to be good and are watching. It is a big risk signing an D long term after their entry level….see Green..Phaneuf. It will get sorted out

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

Subban is an established player. Prospects are not.

And outside of Tinordi and Beaulieu, the cupboard isn’t that deep. It has some nice players with upside but no sure things.

• 44har48 says:

I kind of agree with Kooch, I don’t see where this immature Dman is all that great yet. I see a lot of boneheaded mistakes by a young defencemen (expected at this stage) that should not be playing all the minutes he has per game right now.

• Kooch7800 says:

That is bold statement “You’ve been diminishing Subban’s value to this team since I’ve been back on this board.” We are aloud to have our own opinions Tom. I just don’t pump PK’s tires as much as you do. You make him sound like Shea weber

I actually like Subban but don’t think he is worth over 4 – 5 mill a season and a long term deal right after an entry level deal could be very dangerous for a young D man who has great potential but has also some serious flaws in his game.

Phaneuf and Green were not prospects when they got their huge extentions. D men are a lot different than forwards.

If PK wanted such a long term deal than why not settle on 4.5 mill a season….it is a risk on both sides. Look at what Max P did…cause of the risk he took slightly less money on a long deal.

Why should the organization risk long term high money so soon? They didn’t do it with Price? Why should they with PK/

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

Not a bold statement. An observation.

• The Jackal says:

Subban is worth that money, easily.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Kooch7800 says:

What money? The 4.5 mill? I would agree.

I am not worried. They will get a deal done at some time in the near future. I will leave the negotiating to the people who are in a much bigger tax bracket than I am.

I will just enjoy watching the game on Saturday

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ozmodiar says:

Agreed. Not slanderous/libelous at all.

These analysts are always giving their 2 cents about what players should make. Is it appropriate? I’m sure everyone has an opinion on that. Is it expected? Sure, because the salaries are public knowledge.

THis may already have been posted, but this is Colby Armstrong on his return to NHL against Leafs. Needles to say he is pumped.

I suspect he will have a few words for the likes of Phaneuf and Kessel etc..

• Kooch7800 says:

I see MT is keeping him on the 4th line. Armstrong has had some decent years in the past (a few years ago now). I will be interested to see how he plays this year.

I would have thought he would have been on the third line and he most likely will if Gally goes back to Junior but that may not happen. Kid doesn’t look out of place so far

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

Frankly, all those “lesser than” teams could disappear and we’d have great hockey to watch, with less “cusp” players. Losing 6 US teams would be a boon to the sport. If you’re city doesn’t support the NHL, or doesn’t care for hockey, move it. IF that doesn’t work, contract it.

Haven’t heard much said about them, but anyone with insight on how Markov and Gionta have looked so far? I do realize primarily just drills going on. These are probably the two players who need to show bounceback years the most for this season to have any playoff implications.

Bourque also needs this, but also has never had the kinds of seasons which Gio and Markov have had from an overall leadership and on ice performance standpoint.

Also this conversation doesn’t require PK contract talk. :)

• Loonie says:

Eric Engels said that Gionta looked very good and that Markov was as fluid as he’s looked since the first major injury.

Also noted that the tempo of these practices hasn’t been high because it’s been more of a learning environment than anything else.

• ed lopaz says:

Gionta is totally fine I think. His injury was “upper body” and doesn’t affect his mobility.

I have not seen Markov yet. But even if he’s not 100%, he can play a nice game at 80% and still quarterback our power play, make great reads and decisions with the puck, and play a solid positional game.

I am very hopeful that both will show themselves well this year. I think it is such a blessing that Markov got to play a bit last year towards the end, and was then able to have a summer of training. TO then have the added bonus of getting some time in the KHL should put him mentally in a good place as it relates to confidence in his knee. I think we see a Markov who is fully fit, and who will continue to improve all season.

Gio, provided he gets good linemates I am confident will bounce back. Too much character in that fellow.

• Ozmodiar says:

Hopefully Markov is a lot better than he was at the end of last season. While he might have been effective with the puck, he was really exposed on the defensive side of things, mainly in transition. This really stood out to me when I was at the Bell Centre.

No doubt he was playing with extreme apprehension I am sure during that stint last year. He had every reason to not be sure how his knee would react, given all he has gone through. The fact he made it through with no injury was the key. He then got the KHL time to start playing with confidence again. For every 5-10 game stretch he goes through with no issues, he will gain confidence and start getting his stride back.

The mental hurdle he is and has faced is HUGE!

71. Maksimir says:

Why did the Habs give up on Brendon Nash – traded him for another small d-man …

• BJ says:

I saw him play some games with the Bulldogs this year. He was not very good at all. Gave up the puck in the defensive zone, not great at getting the puck up the ice and what was the greatest short coming was how easily attacking forwards went either around or on the inside on him. Not enough strength. He is a decent skater with not much upside that I saw. DeSantis I saw for 2-3 games and he looked very good on the powerplay (which the Bulldogs need desperately to get going) decent passer and skater. Down side on the smallish side.

72. Habfan10912 says:

If anyone could point me in the right direction of Aaron Wards comments regarding the PK negotiations it would be appreciated. Not that I could add any more value to the conversation of Loonie, Cal or fly, I just would like to see for myself exactly what was said and in what context. Thanks.

———————————–

I am only concerned with what Darren Pang will say, as we all know his is the most balanced perspective. ;-)

Morning Jim!

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning buddy. Well you understand me as it pertains to all things PK. :)

Edit: Loonie has provided some quotes from Ward that are disturbing to say the least.

• Cal says:

Sorry, Jim. Can’t find it anywhere.

• Habfan10912 says:

I looked too Cal but I am no computer wiz. Loonie provided a thorough recap so that will have to do. I have bigger fish to fry today. The grammer police were out last night and now I must make sure I don’t misuse “your” and “you’re” or is it “you’re” and “your”…… oh crap.

• Cal says:

You sure they don’t mean “yore”? ;)

In days of yore, it appeared your thoughts were in order. Then again, you’re always thinking ahead.

My pet peeve is “should have” and not “should of”, which makes no sense. The other is “definately” instead of “definitely”.

• von says:

I heard his comments on TSN last night. He basically said that with the CBA done there were no more excuses for the players and that PK needs to “buy-in” with his teammates.

I took it as “CBA’s done, sign a damn contract already. You’re looking bad in front of your teammates.”
      _________________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Von. How does Ward know what the club has even offered? Is he privie to these negotiations? Sounds unfair to me but again, when it comes to PK I am biased.

• von says:

Exactly. Meehan and MB have not leaked a single word about the terms of the proposals made. It has only been speculation by analysts guessing on the most likely hurdle… $ vs. term. The only way the negotiations have been described officially is that they’re healthy. Everything else is just speculation…
          _________________________________

73. PatMac says:

Not sure what to make of the long delay in signing PK. Perhaps both sides are waiting for concessions from the other. I sure hope this does not lead to PK being traded. We need our young star players to build around. Habs have not had a player with PK’s talent for a long time. We need him, but the contract needs to be equitable for both.

74. Loonie says:

For anybody who didn’t see Aaron Ward’s comments about PK Subban last night I recommend taking a look(sorry I don’t have a link).

It’s the perfect example of an analyst crossing a boundary and heading into unprofessional territory.

He said that Subban should take a team friendly contract to show his doubters, teammates and management that he’s s team guy and not a selfish, me first guy.

The comments were ludicrous. First of all, as a former player Ward should know that he has zero business discussing what a player should be seeking as a contract. He shouldn’t be commenting on what Subban should or shouldn’t take for a second contract because Subban’s value in these negotiations is to the team. It’s what they’re willing to pay and what he’s worth to them. End of story. This is a pretty big can of worms. Is he going to start criticizing Taylor Hall for not taking a team friendly second contract in a rebuilding stage?

In my opinion his comments crossed the line. Subban owes nothing to his teammates other than dedication when he’s under contract, and until he’s under contract, he doesn’t owe them anything. And nobody should be telling Subban what he should and shouldn’t take for a paycheck.

Lost a lot of respect for Ward last night.

I wonder how Ward would feel if Subban went on Sportsnet next week and said publicly that Ward should give TSN a discount on his next contract with them due to his lack of professionalism. It would show that he’s dedicated to the brand maintaining integrity.

• Cal says:

Habs have never given long term contracts after the ELC expires. To anyone, including Lafleur, Shutt, etc.
      Meehan knows this and may be trying to break that. Moron GMs like Lowe in Edmonton doles contracts like those out like a monkey throwing his feces, creating an artificial “market” for 2nd contract players.
      Subban should and will get what he is worth on a two year deal. His next contract will be for term. Oh yeah, Ward is a bit of a tool, but no worse than most lunkheads like Kypreos.

• Loonie says:

This topic is independent of what you and I think Subban should get. Dictating to him what he should be seeking for a contract, and doing so publicly on television is out of bounds in my opinion. And saying that it would be selfish to not take a low money, low term contract is ridiculous.

Edit: I don’t remember Ward calling Karlsson or Myers selfish when they signed their contracts.

• FlyAngler says:

Aaron Ward was not suggesting that Subban should take a discount- only that he should sign. It is being widely reported that P. K. and his agent are insisting on a long term contract which Marc Bergevin is not inclined to offer him at this point. There is no question that the guy is a great talent, but he has shown himself to be selfish and immature at times over the past two seasons. He is not entitled to a long term contract or anything else! He should sign for a fair dollar amount for the shorter term that the Canadiens are offering him and get his tail to Brossard just like Michael Del Zotto did with the Rangers end of discussion.

• Loonie says:

That’s suggesting he’s selfish for seeking whatever contract he’s seeking.

• K-hab25 says:

Couldn’t said it better myself Fly.

• von says:

LOL. Well what if by signing earlier would’ve meant he’d have to take a discount? What kind of logic is that?

And what’s been reported has only been speculation. Neither P.K.’s agent or MB have said anything regarding terms of the proposals made. It’s analysts making their best educated guess’ on what the hold-up is.
        _________________________________