Tough one tonight

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban signs autographs for fans as he enters Rogers Arena for Tuesday’s morning skate.
Stubbs photo

They’re all tough lately.

But the Vancouver Canucks are REALLY good.

And the Canadiens haven’t won in Van since Nov. 30, 2000.

Martin juggles lines

Stubbs on Calgary game

“Classic” did nothing to showcase hockey – Hickey

Réjean Tremblay didn’t like it either

• Arpon Basu on decoding Martin

And thanks to video scout Jarred Friedman for the Sedin Twins playing the Newlywed Game

NAxXD4sYUks

1. Miltie01 says:

Does Dallsas want Weber ?

Dallas is part of that equation too…..maybe they don’t like him as much as we do.

2. Kooch7800 says:

I would include Price, DD, Darche as being pretty consistent this year.  If we didn’t have price we wouldn’t be in the playoff picture at all.

Our offense is an embarrasment

3. Malreg says:

Dallas probably wouldn’t even trade Niskanen for Weber straight up, let alone Weber+”peripheral player” or pick for Neal.  Weber may be good at some point, but he shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence as Goligoski.

Goligoski has 90 points over 177 career games, and is a +34 in the NHL.  Compared to Weber who has only played 39 games in the NHL and has 11 points to show for it.  Goligoski has as many points this year as Gionta and Cammy, and has 2 more points than Gomez and AK46.

4. Mattyleg says:

He was the assistant coach of NJ for 7 years, then had one year in Lowell.

I don’t really consider that ‘real’ experience…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. Storm Man says:

How does this system work?

6. Displaced says:

I’m with you on the Punkster.

Here’s a much broader idea.  Why have draft positions at all?  Seriously.

It made sense when he had no cap and teams could hold players forever. In that world, a team could suck for decades and all they had to improve themselves was the draft.  So, the NHL and every other organized league set it up to draft in reverse order of finish.

With a cap in place, some revenue sharing and much more liberal player movement, every team has a similar and reasonable chance at winning.  So, randomize the draft order.  And then reverse it in alternating rounds, i.e. 1-30l then 30-1; 1-30, etc. Again, seriously.  There would be no reason for a team to purposely give up, “tank”.  On the other hand, it would make trading first rounders a total crapshoot and it would impair the marketing departments of losing team to build momentum in the off-season.  So Burke couldn’t wheel and deal and Tambellini would have to come clean and admit his team sucks.  But, hey, who said life is perfectly fair.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

7. habs001 says:

last year in the playoffs we beat 2 teams that scored a lot more goals than we did and were not great d teams..both wash and pitts had players who had really high goal totals.. our team is still really the same type of team as last year so i believe the best match up for us would be tampa bay..while we have a good record vs boston they look like a different team than earlier in the year…their goal scoring is spread out to 4 lines..they have 3 fourth line players that individually have more goals than 3 of our fourth line players combined…boston scoring is even higher than their standing stats as they added more goals than they lost in their recent trades..their team d is just as good and probably better than ours…

8. habs-hampton says:

Quoting Brian Burke does nothing for your credibility.

9. twocents says:

I haven’t the time to read all your exchanges with HH recently, but to be fair, an approach that would include dumping players like Pleks, Cammy, Gionta, and Markov in return for serious picks and prospects to build around a core of Price, Subban and Pacioretty could be called tanking, in that it would effectively signal the end of a season, yet would still not involve any deliberate losing on the players’ part.

Not that I am advocating this, but it is an approach that has been employed by teams in the past

10. TomNickle says:

This is the FOURTH TIME.  Go back and read Hobie Hansen’s post.  It was the first one of this thread and touched on both issues.  FOUR TIMES!

You know, I really really hate beating the dead horse but without MAB The System just… it just… well… it can’t work.

12. Displaced says:

I get your point.  But teams have to make legitimate moves to shed certain types of players/contacts at the deadline that will negatively affect their performance down the stretch.  I struggle calling that a “tank”.

Check out my post about randomizing the draft order.  It might address the situation.  Now, if we could only get the league to listen….

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

13. Habitall says:

Obviously — I’m not saying Dallas would go for it, but my point is that Weber is an offensive d-man like Goligoski, with upside, and the scenario I suggested would not include Niksanen, just Neal. It’s plausible in my mind that Dallas would at least consider that.

14. Displaced says:

I have a strong gut feeling he’s going to end up in LA. Ultimately, they won’t move Schenn or Simmons, so they might as well settle for AK in exchange for a second (conditional first if they win two rounds) and a top d-prospect.  They have so many…

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

15. Everlasting1 says:

Muller has the career, leadership, and credentials..not to mention gaining valuable experience playing second fiddle for some time now. His special teams have performed admirably under the circumstances, as well.

Re Carbo, he led the 07/08 club atop the East, which I’d argue is a loftier accomplishment than an 8th place finish and winning an extra round in the post-season. I suspect the language barrier to be an issue with most clubs around the league in acquiring his services as head coach.

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

16. Displaced says:

That’s the elephant in the coaching room.  Do we pick the best coach or the best bilingual coach?  Could Mike Babcock coach here?  How about Laviolette?

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

17. Habfan29 says:

you have got to be kidding, MAB did not make the system work. I had a heart attack everytime he was on the ice….

18. Habitall says:

I can accept that.

I never advocated purposely losing, cheating or throwing games.

I am talking about building via the draft not trying to tweak our way into 8th place every year by giving up prospects and picks.

And yes I look at teams in the 26th to 30th position over-all with envy, except Toronto of course because their pick is going to Boston.

The problem with the Habs, and why I concluded the Habs need to tank, is that they have this stupid reputation to live up to. The glory days are over. The Habs are no longer the winningest franchise in pro sports. They are not in the elite of the NHL either. They are a small team that is easily injured and intimidated. This team is built to play on a European ice surface not in North America.

They have a management that for too long has believed that getting to the play-offs is enough. Well. It isn’t!!!

Being in the top 5 of the league is the place to be. Then you can say anything can happen.

20. TomNickle says:

Carbonneau was fired because he didn’t communicate with the players.  Now, there could be a number of reasons for that.  But I have no issue speculating that the reason he chose to be stand offish was because he felt he needed to send the message that he was no longer the shoulder to cry on, that he was now the boss.  In doing so, he would have over compensated in making the transition.  Which is one of the biggest reasons why assistants who move to the head coach position with the same team often fail.

Dave Lewis failed for the same reason.

21. punkster says:

Sure, like the league would listen to a bunch of interweb geek GMs ;)

Random/lottery draft…always liked the concept as it doesn’t discriminate and doesn’t promote tanking. Luck of the draw.

***Subbang!!!***

22. Mr. Habs says:

The Sedin Twins are great no doubt about it. But they have been playing together on the same line since they were kids up til now. I would like to see how they would play if they were not on the same line or same team?

Say what you want about Burke. He’s a blow hard and he messed up big time with the Kessel offer sheet, but that quote is a gem and describes fully what the Habs have been for far too long.

24. TomNickle says:

Chara returning to dominant form has made Boston what they are.  Tampa is easily the best matchup in terms of teams at the top.  With the division still in reach, the Rangers would be the best matchup in terms of teams at the bottom.

25. punkster says:

Your first sentence…if that’s true then take down the white flag of defeat and raise the CH banner. Your position will then be much stronger.

***Subbang!!!***

26. punkster says:

Your point is taken. Your choice of players though…whoa ;)

***Subbang!!!***

I haven’t read your post yet but I’ve already proposed something in the past that goes like this:

Make the top 5 picks a lottery between all teams. The last place team gets the 6th pick and the rest follow all the way down to the end.

Teams the win and get into the lottery one year are out of the running until all other teams have had their shot and once all teams have had their luck at the draw throw back all the names in the hat again and start over. It guarantees a top 5 pick for every team once every six years.

28. TomNickle says:

I may be wrong but I can only think of two first round exits in the last 7 years.

Kinda pokes a hole in your theory that this team just makes the playoffs to get blown out in the first round.

29. Mr. Habs says:

Didn’t I just say that they are great players? Spilt them up a see what they would be like is what I am saying.

30. notbigbird says:

whoosh … the sound of irony going over your head

31. kmachabs27 says:

were expecting another miracle in net….Halak was the main reason for those 2 series wins…..riding price and hoping hell make 50 saves a game…..not saying Halak is better then Price, hes not but it wont happen again.

32. observer says:

Re: “And the Canadiens haven’t won in Van since Nov. 30, 2000.”

————–

In other words since Gainey/Gauthier began assembling this huge Habs team in 2003 the Canadiens have never won a game in Vancouver.