Tough-guy Nilan has big soft spot for his dogs

nilan 001 web

Nobody has ever questioned Chris Nilan’s toughness, but the former Canadiens enforcer has a big soft spot for dogs.

The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reports that Nilan was living with his girlfriend in Oregon a few years ago, emerging from treatment to overcome substance addiction he’d developed through some 30 surgeries and the 251 times he fought in his unforgiving role of NHL enforcer. Jaime owned a pound rescue, a border collie/shepherd mix she had adopted as a puppy in Costa Rica, nursing it back to health.

“Jaime was working but I wasn’t, having just gotten out of treatment, so I had a lot of idle time,” Nilan, 54, told Stubbs. “I was focusing on my recovery, going to my meetings, but every day I’d get up and run the dog at the beach.

“It was therapeutic for me, honestly. With Jaime, the dog helped me get back on my feet.”

Nilan was in Afghanistan on a goodwill tour 20 months ago, visiting the troops for a third time, when their dog was fatally struck by a car back home.

“We went through a difficult time, a real rough time,” Nilan told Stubbs.

Nilan and Jaime, now living together in Montreal, have two new dogs.

“You come home after a long day and you want to talk about unconditional love?” Nilan told Stubbs. “That’s what our dogs give, and it’s pretty cool.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Nilan and his dogs by clicking here.

You can read a column Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan wrote about the amazing comeback made by the pit bulls seized five years ago from Michael Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels by clicking here.

You can read a feature The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell wrote on the documentary film The Last Gladiators, which focuses on Nilan’s life as an enforcer, by clicking here.

You can read about Nilan being voted the Habs’ No. 1 tough guy of all-time by fans by clicking here.

Andrei Markov isn’t known as a tough guy, but the Habs defenceman dropped the gloves during a recent KHL game and it didn’t turn out very well. You can see the video of his fight by clicking here.

(Photo courtesy of Sylvie Brunet)

1. Say Ash says:

C’mon, Riga. The CHL may be one-tenth the price but it’s not a better product.

• Riga Fraction says:

The overall talent level may be a touch lower, but I like the product a lot more as a whole. The skill factor *IS* there as shown by kids like Nug, Skinner, Landeskog not missing a step entering the NHL directly. They get to ply their trade more freely without thugs like Chara trying to maim them nearly as often (and if they do try, the guy running the show bounces them for it). You don’t get guys going through the motions for 4 seasons between contract years as their entire jr career is a contract year with the hopes of landing one of those draft spots for the big bucks. There are smaller players with tonnes of talent that can play in the OHL that will never make the NHL because of said thugs like Chara above so you get guys like Ryan Murphy, Justin Acevedo, Corey Locke and other able to grab a puck and go with it, not because the other teams are incompetent, but because maiming isn’t an acceptable defensive strategy. Finally, you very RARELY see a Chris Lee special in jr hockey… enough said right there.

• Cal says:

The overall talent level is a lot lower. That’s why many juniors never get to the NHL. The player who is best on his junior team may not be good enough to make any NHL team.

• Riga Fraction says:

Best comparison NCAA football vs NFL football. Sure the NFL may have better players, but the product as a whole…. there’s a pretty good debate to be had for either one.

2. Say Ash says:

You think the others guys look over at Darche and wonder WTF that guy is doing at the meetings?

• Riga Fraction says:

He’s probably a sharp cookie when it comes to labour negotiations. (This isn’t about hockey talent right now, it’s about business sense)

*He has a commerce degree in international business and marketing from McGill…. no I have no wondering why he would be involved at all.*

• Cal says:

Considering he’s been there since the beginning, they shouldn’t wonder at all. It’s a BIG problem if only the players making mega bucks are at the meeting. It’s the lower dollar players that are the most affected by the NHLPA’s stance. Players that made $3 + million last season aren’t that worried about their future.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I thinks Habs players were looking at him in the dressing room and wondering WTF he was doing there?

• Riga Fraction says:

Before you ask about Parros, he graduated from Princeton with an economics degree, he wrote his senior thesis on a labour dispute between the West Coast Longshoremen and was rated as the 4th smartest athlete in North America apparently. Not too shabby for a goon eh? Like I said to Ian I think it was, who suggested these businessmen owners will slap the silly little hockey players around like children. Not all athletes are stupid fellas…. some can use their heads for more than Boston Bruin target practice and cracking walnuts.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great point but I wonder if emotions will get the best of some. Isn’t that why most unions use professional negotiators? Man, I hope this works but I remain a skeptic.

———————————–

• Riga Fraction says:

Emotions will always enter these rooms. That’s why it pays off to have highly intelligent people there, who can channel their emotions and focus it on the right topics and not lose track of themselves. I’m kinda curious about the rest of the resumes now. I know Westgarth also attended Princeton for example, not sure what his major was though.

• wjc says:

If I were a player I would prefer a combination of street smarts and book smarts. Education does not always work out and make you smart when it comes to the world.

wjc

• B says:

I recall Harry Sinden during negotiations with Joe Juneau (an aeronautical engineer) saying something about how Juneau was a hockey player, not a rocket scientist.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. frontenac1 says:

I could watch those Knuckles scraps all day long. Damn, I miss that guy.

4. Riga Fraction says:

I think this is all a Molson ploy to burn another year off of Gomez’ contract and to keep him among the scoring leaders all year long at the same time.

So not 1 European player will be amongst the 16 or so sitting down with the owners today.

13 Canadian players, 5 American.

• Riga Fraction says:

Kind of a long trip for a meeting when there are already people nearby that can do it all the same. Their work visas could be affected by the lack of work right now too, not sure how that would all work out though as immigration law is among the most convoluted stuff ever written.

But isn’t a player like Alfredsson or Henrik Lundqvist around? I don’t think all of the European players are over there. Not surprised no Hamrlik though, :)

• Riga Fraction says:

No clue where they reside in the offseason. I would assume some have obtained resident status over the years, but I couldn’t comment directly on which ones that would include. I would wager a lot of them are living back at home right now, the ones with smallish kids would be most likely to not want to uproot those kids during a school year though so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still around. I was simply speculating on something that would have taken a lot of the names off of the roster right away.

Agree and understand, I just kind of figured, they would go out of their way to have at least one European there, sort of a representative for them. However, the players are a pretty tight group, so I am probably reading something into this that is not necessary.

• Riga Fraction says:

LONGSHOT, maybe English as a first language is preferred in negotiations to make sure they understand every word being said when dealing with loopholes and the like? That’s not likely a factor, but who knows?

• Habfan10912 says:

Oh to be a fly on the wall.

———————————–

• Riga Fraction says:

At least they brought Parros… I say let him and Jacobs have a private session for a few minutes.

• wjc says:

Does the nit pickin ever end.

wjc

6. Habfan10912 says:

The list of players attending the meeting at the Westin in Times Square.

———————————–

Henrik Sedin:

“I don’t know if they [owners] think they’re dealing with kids or that we’re stupid or think the fans are stupid.”

Yes, and

• Cal says:

The owners definitely know fans are stupid. Here we are on December 4th, with no NHL hockey since last June. And what are we doing? Discussing the game, of course.

• Riga Fraction says:

I’ve had hockey all along. It’s of the CHL variety (a much better product for less than 1/10th the price) The down side is that many others are flocking to the rinks and discovering this as well so it’s getting tougher and tougher to get tickets to the local rinks… I need to branch out farther and farther away to find less popular barns like the one in Brampton.

• Cal says:

Actually, junior hockey isn’t that great. Too many errors and poor decision making on the ice for my liking. The WJC is fun, but for me the quality just isn’t even close. Once the CBA is settled, most of those rinks’ new-found fans will disappear.

• Riga Fraction says:

Players at the NHL level never make mistakes… *you have the right to your opinion*

• Cal says:

@Riga- I’m saying they make way less errors, not that they don’t make any errors at all. *You have the right to your opinion, too**

• Riga Fraction says:

Most common thing I hear from first time attendees at jr games, “Holy ^@$%# I had no idea these kids were this good!” or “Holy #%$^@ this is GOOD HOCKEY!!!”

8. shiram says:

Never mind contraction or relocation, rumours are of expansion!
    French piece from La Presse here : http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201212/04/01-4600440-lnh-loption-de-lexpansion.php

9. mark-ID says:

Ottawa sun has an article on Bill Daly denying reports out of Boston that lock-out is coming to an end. No surprise.

10. Mike D says:

A good read from Elliotte Friedman:

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• wjc says:

Elliott Friedman offers an intelligent balanced take on all of this. No good guys, no owner victims, no bad guys, just a confusing process that needs a deal.

If the deal is not right for your side/their side then a deal cannot happen. If you cave, you lose, if you holdout, you lose.

The whole bargaining thing should have started months before it did. Everyone is dug in in the trenches thinking the next assault will win the war. Okay maybe the next one. The next one for sure. Well we have gone to far to quit now….and on it goes.

wjc

• mark-ID says:

IMO it is pure stupidity. Neither side wants to lose, but it is as if both sides aren’t looking at the big picture. The league as a whole is going to suffer from a year lockout……to many people are too pissed off. If this goes on for a full year….a predict attendance will be down throughout the league, and for a long time.

• wjc says:

Hard to believe but it has not be 2 months yet. Fans will back, it is the nature of the fan.

Think of Christmas, every year they have big boxing day sales 80% off sometimes.

But, here is the kicker, every year they decorate the stores and play the Christmas songs about the middle of November and have a parade and Santa ho ho’s around.

Every year people open their wallets and credit/debit cards and spend…spend…spend.

Why….because they are conditioned to, by sight, sound and feelings.

Now take a hockey fan…as soon as he sees that logo of his favorite team he is back. The latest news will be music to his ears. He will not be able to resists. They know what buttons to push and you will be non the wiser.

wjc

11. Mike D says:

Does anyone here know why the BoG ever agreed to Bettman’s 8-vote rule? I can’t fathom why a group of captain-of-industry types would ever sign off on such a thing considering how much power and control it takes away from them.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Timo says:

Maybe it wasn’t up for discussion or negotiation?

• wjc says:

Mike D: It is the Board of Goveners rule, Bettman just abids by it.

It steamlines the process into a workable way to conduct business while on lock out. This is the process they chose.

wjc

• Mike D says:

Since I’m the one who asked the question I obviously am no expert, however, I don’t think what you’re saying is correct.

For one, my question point wasn’t whether Bettman or the BoG initiated the rule, it was why the BoG in general would have agreed to it. From what I do know about it, it was in fact Bettman’s idea which was then passed by the BoG.

Secondly, the 8-vote rule applies to all matters – not just the lockout.

At least, this is how I understand it.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

Agree with you Mike, obviously having this 8 vote rule in the owners constitution was a way for Bettman to have job security and power over people who do essentially employ him.

I am guessing he was able to acquire this power shortly after delivering his salary cap to them during the last stoppage. Have to remember also, how many current owners were not around when that decision and agreement was made. Off the top of my Habs, Leafs, Jets, Blues, Dallas, Tampa, Buffalo all have different majority owners than when that deal was made.

• wjc says:

First of all Mike….lose the attitude.

Second, think about what you are saying. “Bettman rule” passed by the board….get it!… passed by the board. Agreed to.

If they “PASSED” the rule they had to know it was for ALL matters and agreed to it. 8 vote rule stream lines the process. Speeds it up. People are busy…recalling 30 owners to approve everything is too cumbersome.

wjc

LOL, Mike attitude? Your kidding here right wjc?

Besides, he asked “Why” the BoG would pass the rule, not if they did. He is aware of the rule being in place and that yes indeed the owners know what they passed.

It is a good question posed by Mike, as we all know the owners are the bosses, yet the person they chose to hire as a representative appears to have extricated quite a bit of power out of the owners by having such a rule in place, allowing Bettman to make decisions without a majority agreement.

Mike never gives attitude on this site, always a polite poster.

• Mike D says:

Thank you Burly – much appreciated. You’re a true gentleman.

I was going to reply myself but decided it best to just let it go.

It’s good to know that while I may not always agree with fellow posters, or make/defend certain points passionately at times, that I’m still coming across the right way and not being misinterpreted as rude.

CHeers my friend.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• wjc says:

Great question Burlington, great question. But so what, who the hell knows why, it was agreed to, what difference does it make. It is not a conspiracy. Why is the sky blue, well because of the refraction of light on a prism giving the impression of “blue”….yea but why?..why? why?

They did it because they did it, because they did it.

wjc

• Timo says:

Yeah, Mike. Lose the freakin’ attitude, pal :)

Is it me or does it still suck that Therrien is the new head coach for the Habs?

Decent read here, compilation of various stories. Story I find most interesting is the apparent anger in Sweden over Senators decision not to release Zibanejad for WJC tourney. Have to say I agree with Sweden’s frustration.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with the Swede’s frustration as well. Not sure why Ottawa would do that exactly.

I also think that the comments about the league expanding to non hockey markets and those are the 9 teams struggling speaks volumes. Either they share the pot between owners and players or retract 9 teams and make the league healthier. The players would hate that and so would the 9 owners. But that is the reality. Either everyone shares money including salary rollbacks or you retract franchises and lose player jobs. Plain and simple

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• shiram says:

Not retract, relocate.
        The PA won’t want to lose so many members, and the NHL needs 21 teams in the USA.

• wjc says:

United States is where the growth is. Television and pay per view is where the revenue is. Sponsorship and Merchandising is where the revenue is.

Canada does not need growth, you can only hurt teams here. Ottawa and Buffalo. Canadians cross the border to watch Buffalo games all the time, they do not wish that to stop. People travel to Montreal and Ottawa for games.

The Canadian hockey business is alive and saturated. You go where the new money is and harvest it.
          wjc

• Kooch7800 says:

not sure they can relocate 9 teams to markets where they will make money in the US

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• shiram says:

WJC : I’m not saying move 9 teams to Canada, I’m just saying move some teams that are doing bad financially, if possible. Not sure how those work, but the relocation fees could even help out other struggling teams.
            Kooch :I doubt 9 teams are moved, but I know they are not retracting 9 teams either. The key would be to move the teams that are doing the worst financially to other markets, Seattle is one that would make sense.

• Cal says:

The non-traditional hockey markets are a necessary evil for a national tv contract in the US. Some posters here have pointed out the 21 American teams rule or the contract is null and void.

• Kooch7800 says:

Which I understand BUT the players and owners need to realize that means they have to share the pie better if they want to continue with the current league set up. That is currently what the big fight is over and was in 2004. In 2004 it was to put a cap in to control the spending to help the bottom teams. It is all about the struggling teams and sharing profits and keeping the league competitive.

Once everyone is on the same page they can move forward but both sides are still gimmy gimmy gimmy

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• wjc says:

Shiram, I think I understand where you are coming from. Canada is a saturated hockey market and you start to take away from existing franchises located on the border.

You do not chase old money you go after ripe new markets and give them time to grow. Once ownership stabilizes and fans catch on to the game….pay per view, merchandising and television and tickets will explode.

If you think hockey is the best game in the world played in a season where others don’t, then it will catch on. New fans take time, kids are starting to pick up hockey sticks and learning to skate. They are the new fans and they drag their parents to games and order pay per view and play NHL hockey video games on their computers.

That is the vision.

wjc

• wjc says:

Kooch the reality is that the NHL is made up of 30 teams. This 30 team system works and revenue’s have climbed. The players need to realize the owners need room to operate with the players getting a generous share.

Retract 9 teams……no. Reclocate…….no. Keep present system and have players realize it is a business where they all have to co exists.

Players need these teams as well. Ownership of southern teams are stabiliziing as we speak. Lock out will end….I promise and soon.

wjc

So perhaps Andrei Markov knew something about a deal being struck, thus the reason he wanted his last KHL game to be memorable?

15. Chuck says:

Here’s what’s REALLY going on at today’s meeting:

___________________________________________________

So Bob McKenzie (who does have more twitter followers than the Pope) is neither confirming or denying the report out of Boston from Burton. Says he can’t find information to support it.

Also tweets (Twits?) that NHL says to players have as many as you want in the room.

Edit: Oh yah Pierry LeBrun says meeting start 2 – 2:30ish. Ahhh again, must be nice to have your day start after the bars have opened. :)

17. kempie says:

Posted this in an old thread just as another was opened up so, in case you missed it, this guy has a blog dedicated to shift-by-shift analysis of AG94:

18. Habfan10912 says:

Saw a tweet this morning that got my conspiracy blood reactivated.

“All of this Jacobs business isn’t doing anything to disprove my theory that the Bruins’ cup winning season was crooked in some way.”

Kind of sums it up for me this morning.

———————————

19. mark-ID says:

Happy 103rd birthday to the Montreal Canadiens!

• Habfan10912 says:

A young 103 indeed! Let’s hope for another 103 Mark.

———————————–

• Ozmodiar says:

Almost as old as Monte Burns. :)

Speaking of… I think Jacobs and the owners will work something out with the players. I think the players will get their tartar sauce.

I’ve heard and read the reasons for pessimism, but I remain optimistic. I get the feeling that a lot of the pessimism is fed to the media by the negotiating parties. Both sides have too much to lose with a lost season.

It is amazing how quickly I can get excited about the possibilty of a settlement and getting to watch hockey, I know I have issues, but now I am getting happy thoughts in my head again about hockey!

20. Habs64 says:

This guy did break the Kessel story as well as other MLB/NFL stories so who knows. He must have a connection with a high up Bruins exec.

• commandant says:

The Kessel story is literally his only NHL break, and it was over 5 years ago now. You can’t live off that reputation forever.

Its been over 12 hours, and not one other legitmate hockey insider has confirmed it.

I know we all hope its true, but it doesn’t seem likely IMO.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

21. Habfan10912 says:

OK enough baseball talk. Anybody out there that doesn’t believe that this guy from WBZ in Boston just made up this story? A secret series of meeting indeed.

———————————–

• Cal says:

He must believe it or he wouldn’t have come out with it. The ridicule and the hit to his credibility is just too large.

• L Elle says:

Awesome link you posted below Jim. That song brought a tear to my eye.
      Now you know why some of us haven’t given up our day jobs. :)

• Phil C says:

I find it plausible because I suspect the NHL would like a deal on the table to discuss at their BoG meeting on Wednesday. Many people speculated that the NHL didn’t really mind losing the first couple of months of the season when revenues are low anyway, especially if they can win some major concessions over the long term. But I doubt they want to lose an entire season and they have already achieved the 50/50 split which is huge. So the fact that they are now willing to deal makes sense to me.

@HabFan 10912, Jim, rumour on the Toronto Sports Network is that the Jays are talking trade with the Mets, R.A. Dickey heading to Toronto, JP Arencibia heading to New York? Thoughts?

Edit: Or anyone else, just I know 10912 is a big Mets fan. :)

• 24 Cups says:

38 years old!

Coming off a career year, cost could be quite high.

Question – Is it all or nothing for just one year (for the Jays) or are they setting up to have a three year window? If it’s three, then this guy isn’t it.

• Habfan10912 says:

The age is the million dollar or shall I say multi million dollar question. As a knuckle ball pitcher 38 wouldn’t normally be such a big deal but RA throws his pitch a bit harder, in the 80mph range. That leads to some debate as to his temaining pitching life.
        You are also dead on about his value being high which is another teason why a deal oncluding RA makes sense from the Met side.

———————————–

• Kooch7800 says:

I think JP is a lot to give up for a 38 year old pitcher. In saying that, I think he has a couple years left in him.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ve heard that down here. RA is just a great guy and you folks up there would love him. A class act all the way. My Mets have so many holes that they are almost forced to make a trade. I’d hate to see RA go but it makes sense from the Mets side.
      I also heard several other teams are interested. KC and Red Sox among others. Met GM confirms that they are actively shopping him.
      ———————————–

23. Cal says:

Today is all about THE MEETING. Unless, of course, this Steve Burton guy, no relation to Richard or Tim, is accurate.
    This one is about a player at that MEETING.

24. habsfan0 says:

Max Baer,Jr. (Jethro on Beverly Hillbillies) turns 75 today.

YIKES!

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I dunno …listening to the YouTube story of this Steve Burton (WHO ??? in Hades is he ???) …it does not smell credible

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m not an NHL fan, I’m a Montreal Canadiens Fan

…NHL hockey has been second to international for Me since first being exposed to international hockey with the 1972 Russia/Canada Summit

…nothing gets My blood roiling more than Team Canada vs anybody (from PeeWees to almost croaking ex-NHLers playing their former international foes) …except My Montreal Canadiens (of which I wouldn’t actually mind They being hockey’s version of the Harlem Globetrotters, if only …He says under His breath …They had the talent of Their yester-years)

…I’m mentioning this to all those that can care less what I think about the NHL because I had been looking forward with great anticipation to a STACKED Team Canada in this month’s WJHC …with the Ryan Nugent-Hopkins et al, and the cream of Our Young Hockey Bucks

…I love Galchenyuk as a Hab, …He was My choice for Our Pick, …but when He puts on that mangy USA jersey, I will hate every putrid cell of His being

…well, at least until the tourney is over, and He and His team’s ass is grass :)

…if this current ‘rumor’ of a possible resolution to this Gawd-fehrsaken lock-out has legs, I’m hopin’ AND a prayin’ to Hosanna for NHL play NOT resume until post-WJHC, so all Our Boys can play for the joy of the beautiful game, rather than the bloody mercenary NHL

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

27. Habs64 says:

Sources tell WBZ-TV’s Steve Burton that an unannounced meeting was held Monday with a high-ranking official from each side, and significant progress was made toward salvaging the hockey season. It’s possible an announcement could come as soon as tomorrow or Wednesday.

This guy did report Kessel cancer story 1st.

28. Fake says:

QUESTION:

Do I have to wait a certain amount of time until I can change my avatar?

29. habsfan0 says:

If (and that’s a mighty big IF at this point) the dispute is resolved and NHL training camps open, will Galchenyuk be uprooted from his excellent minor league season to attend Hab’s training camp? It would seem that would not be the best thing to do for Galchenyuk’s development,as the prospect of him making the Hab’s roster for what is at most half an NHL season at the cost of disrupting what is becoming a banner season with his current team,is rather dim, IMHO.

• Fake says:

Yes, and they will most likely play him for 9 games and see how he does.

• Mark C says:

I don’t think it matters. If there is an NHL training camp, how long will it be? 7 maybe 10 days? I don’t think missing a few OHL games to practice with NHLers will hurt his development one bit. He’s already leaving his team for the WJC. Is that bad for his development too?

• Fake says:

Agreed, I think both the WJC and the Habs training camp will be very beneficial for him, even though he’ll be missing games. Being yoyo-ed between a league and the NHL on the other hand (Louis Leblanc) is not.

• 24 Cups says:

The Habs screwed up the development path for MaxPac and Leblanc due to their shortsightedness. Now we want to do the same with GalchenyuK? I don’t think so.

Let this kid be a star in junior and rip up the league. Let’s give all the Hab icetime to Eller to see if he really is going to be a top six player.

• commandant says:

Max Pac still turned into a 30 goal scorer.

We may have called him up before he was ready…. but I don’t think we “screwed up” his development.

Also Alex Galchenyuk is a far different prospect than players who were drafted in the 18-22 range like your two examples. Far different.

Compare him more to a Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog, or other forwards drafted in the top 3 of the draft.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

30. piper says:

I hope MB can draft someone like Knuckles. We could use a couple actually.

31. Boomer says:

Nugent Hopkins is working his way backwards lol. NHL…AHL…WJC… Good for him though, everyone should get the opportunity to play at the worlds

32. GrimJim says:

Is any one else imagining the meeting tomorrow to be set up like Speed Dating? Sid has two minutes to tell Jeremy his likes and dislikes about the owner’s proposal and then Jeremy has two minutes to tell Sid his likes and dislikes about the players proposal. Then a bell rings and they move to new partners. At the end of the speed round the players get to rate which owners they would like to have meaningful conversations with and the owners rate the players. Then, if there are any matches, they get to have something like 30 minutes together…

33. commandant says:

For Chris: And others.

The Comments of Ryan Yessie (@RyanHPscout) a scout for the scouting service HockeyProspect.com who attended the Sarnia game vs Peterborough. He talked about Galchenyuk’s ability to make the players on his line better.

“Reid Boucher has 6 goals in last 3 games and has 3 more goals than 3rd overall drafted Alex Galchenyuk. However Galchenyuk has clearly

Been the catalyst for them. Galchenyuk has the first assist on 4 of Boucher’s 6 goals. Boucher has maybe 2 goals not 6 if not for Alex’s..

creativity and vision. This is why we have been so high on Galchenyuk. He’s making everyone who steps on the same ice as him a better player

So while Boucher is finishing at a very impressive rate, what is maybe even more impressive is some of the passes made to create those goals ”

I stand by the assessments I’ve made in seeing quite a few Sarnia games. Boucher and Sarault are clearly a step below Galchenyuk in terms of talent level. Boucher might be a second line player in the NHL. Sarault is a good overager but not much more. Together they are the three best players on Sarnia, but its still a weak supporting cast. (Yes, Strome and Schiefele are part of equally weak lines; I don’t dispute that).

Some teams that Galchenyuk could go to where he would have better players around him. London (play with Seth Griffith, not the best prospect, but a dominant OHLer); Kitchener (Puempel, Faksa, Reider); Oshawa (Jenner and Biggs); along with Guelph as you mentionned.

I think he would be well served if one of these teams decides to load up for a Mem Cup run.

That said Sarnia may think they have a chance due to Plymouth struggling (and Sarnia actually being in first in the division). But if Sarnia realistically looks at the OHL, they don’t have the horses to compete with Kitchener, London, Guelph, and Oshawa, and should sell. No point winning the division if you can’t win it all in that league. Galchenyuk could bring them a king’s ransom for the future, and Sarault and Murphy could get them nice pieces for a rebuild too.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Riga Fraction says:

Sarnia’s sitting in first place and Sarault just earned player of the week honours. No one is suggesting that they’re better than Galy, just saying it’s somewhat unfair to flat out inaccurate to suggest that he’s all alone on that team with no one around him.

• Chris says:

Ben, not disputing the assessment. I just think some of these guys are out to lunch on their expectations. The kid is on pace for a 100+ point season. In today’s OHL, that is plenty good.

Sarault is as dominant an OHL player as Griffith. I honestly believe that. The difference is that Sarault is a dominant playmaker, while Griffith is a sniper.

I love that Galchenyuk has stayed in Sarnia as it forced him to develop his goal-scoring touch. I don’t think there were many people that saw Galchenyuk as a goal-per-game player this season. But that is exactly what he has become playing on this line.

Every player in the OHL could have more points with optimal linemates. Galchenyuk’s are doing plenty well enough to get him a point total that will have him challenging for the league lead.

I don’t think anybody is disputing that Galchenyuk is the best player, by a country mile, on that line. I just think too many of the scouts adopt these silly stances that a guy could do so much more if he was surrounded by better linemates.

If Alex Galchenyuk had Matt Puempel and Seth Griffith as linemates, he’d probably have more assists. But he’d also probably have a lot fewer goals. By playing with guys who aren’t quite the snipers, Galchenyuk has had to step up his ability to create goals, and he has done so with flying colours.

Montreal desperately needs guys who can score goals. With Desharnais and Plekanec, they’ve got guys who can set up their teammates. But throw somebody who can actually bury a chance on their line and you’ve suddenly got a much stronger team.

• commandant says:

I think people heard “playmaker” and forgot what Galchenyuk did as a 16 year old rookie in the OHL.

Goals in his first 4 OHL games
        31 goals in 68 games as a 16 year old playing with a sniper in Nail Yakupov.
        I always saw him as a dual threat to both score goals and to assist on them. As we’ve seen a number of times this season (and we saw it as a 16 year old too) he’s got a laser wrist shot and realease. So I can’t say I’m hugely surprised by the goal scoring.

The ability to be dynamic in both passing and scoring was one of the reasons I favored him as my ideal Habs pick (at 3rd) last year. Only guy I had better than him was Yakupov by the time draft day came around.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Riga Fraction says:

More individual talent on a linemate isn’t always going to produce a better production for a player either. Chemistry that allows a line to be greater than the sum of it’s parts is far more important than having good parts. Gretzky meshed with Nichols moreso than with a more talented Robitaille. Gretzky and Hull never really caught on, but Hull and Oates on the other hand were magic.

The trio have chemistry, simply replacing the two with say Pumpel and Faksa or Griffith and Domi wouldn’t necessarily mean more points out of Galy, in fact the way that line has gelled lately, I’d say it’d likely mean fewer points and less ice-time since the team in general would be deeper in talent.

• Chris says:

We have a perfect example of this in Montreal.

Erik Cole spent some years patrolling the wing of Eric Staal, but it was only when he joined David Desharnais’ line that he hit his career high in goals (although it should be noted he missed 20 games back in 2005-06, but still managed 30 goals).

Nobody would ever argue that Desharnais is a better player than Staal, but he brought the best out of Cole this past season.

34. Marc10 says:

My sister in law who works at a big insurer bumped into Knuckles (literally) going into the lift. What a class act. They had a nice chat for a couple of floors and as she’s exiting she notices she’s standing next to Flower who she hadn’t noticed… Classic!

Long story short, she got back to her desk with autographed photos from both legends. Not a bad day at the office!

35. JohnBellyful says:

I know it’s six-on-six when the owners and players meet tomorrow but won’t the owners, with Jacobs, have the odd man advantage?

Programming note: If you like your hockey with a murder or two mixed in — and who doesn’t — catch tonight’s rerun of the Murdoch Mysteries on CBC at 9 pm. The episode concerns skullduggery surrounding the formation of a team to challenge a rival for shinny supremacy — more than a century ago. The dialogue contains some topical references.

• HabFab says:

“Like players getting paid for their services will ruin the game of hockey”…how ironic can that be today!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ian Cobb says:

Ya right! The hockey kids taking on the business elite of the NHL. The owners will stroke them with smiles as they put the knife in and twist it. They won’t even see it coming. What a JOKE!

Don’t forget Ian, Steve Fehr will be in the room. It isn’t like the players are by themselves. I think the players agreeing to this shows how serious they are about trying.

I am so back and forth over which side is less wrong. Note I don’t say which side is right.

Have a good night Ian!

• Riga Fraction says:

You underestimate the ability of the 700+ NHL players to produce 6 functioning brains. See Mike Gartner, Marty McSorely for example from the past. There are NHL players that have heads on the shoulders that are good for more than Bruin target practice.

• frontenac1 says:

Players should have invited Knuckles to their meeting instead of Fehrs brother.

36. HabFab says:

Serious has his latest prospect report out.

37. Haborama says:

soooooo………

I hear that Markov got into a fight in the KHL…….

I hope he didn’t get a grade 8 concussion (knowing him)

It looks like Chekov isn’t as tough as they claim to be, considering that Markov of all people was doing the fighting.

Markov fighting, wow, am I the only one who finds that hilarious??

I don’t need to watch it to know that he probs didn’t do well…..

38. shiram says:

I guess no one cares, but the Phoenix Coyotes changed names to the Arizona Coyotes.
    Big whoop.

39. kempie says:

How can you not love Chris Nilan. I love everything about the guy.

• ABHabsfan says:

except the part where he played for Boston.Other than that dark period, you’re right on

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

40. Riga Fraction says:

Trying to change my display name since someone commented that they took offense to my previous posting name. Seeing if the nickname option works (testing)

41. Habfan10912 says:

With apologies to Cal, JB, Bri, L and even HH. This video trumped you all.

———————————–

42. punkster says:

My dog can definitely take care of himself… Bizarro said it best…

***Subbang Baby!!!***

43. The Jackal says:

Sounds like my boss, Artillery Arthur. He is a real tough SOB, always yelling at people and reaming them out when they screw up, but he has a real soft spot for his dog, Tugboat. He loves that damn dog, he even wheres a shirt with a printed picture of his dog on it, and has pictures of the dog everywhere in the office, but just one of his kids.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

Where in Europe is the Juniors being held this year????

45. English is not a Crime says:

Lots of Guelph fans here. I may have to take a brief video from the Guelph/Kitchener Teddy Bear Toss game tomorrow night and post a link for you guys. Wait’ll ya see one of the bears I found and picked up from Walmart for the game…thing’s bigger than the kids that’ll be trying to pick it up off the ice.

• Ian Cobb says:

We had our Teddy Bear toss in Belleville, Sat. night. Like every year it was great.

• English is not a Crime says:

How many seats in Belleville? I’ve been to the Teddy Bear game in Kitchener in the past when they had 6,700 seats and am very intrigued to see what the results are with an extra 1000 seats added this year. Should be close to 10,000 bears this time around considering they approached 8,000 last year.

• Ian Cobb says:

Under one roof we have 4 rinks with seats, 4 swimming pools, two gyms, exercise rooms, weight rooms, a host of meeting rooms, a 4 lane running track and a bunch more stuff.
          It is one of the finest buildings in North America. And it is self sufficient in its own energy to run the place. Solar energy runs the freezing and heating of the rinks & pools as well as the whole complex, including chilling of the beer..
          And yes it holds 5 thousand in the main rink I believe.

• Riga Fraction says:

I checked shortly after asking, it said the Yardmen arena holds 3250? Sounds like a nice place though.

46. shiram says:

You guys are making miss my dog!
    Hockey, not so much :p

47. Kfourn says:

Looks like Ontario is well represented again in this WJC tourny. I get that the population of Ontario is huge, but I can’t help but feel that there is some bias in there.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

I think as a result of the OHL being the junior league which most scouts believe to be the best training ground is the bias. Just as it seems alot of NHL scouts prefer kids from the OHL.

• English is not a Crime says:

It’s not bias. If the talented players are in a certain league at a certain time, that’s where the selection camp if going to have more options. The West tends to be strong at producing Defence, the Q tends to be strong at producing Offence and the O tend to produce a mixture that lies somewhere in the middle in general. Right now, the O has some dominant youngsters, in a few years the west will…. it cycles.

• Cal says:

It is bias. Overwhelmingly each and EVERY year, Canada’s junior team comes from Ontario westward, with a token easterner thrown in.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think Chris (below) is correct. It depends on the coach at the time so there is always a little bias but I don’t think they always pick Ontario Junior teams.

Cal are you talking place of birth or league

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Chris says:

If there is a bias, it is against QMJHL coaches, and an argument could certainly be made on that front. The Quebec league has produced more than its fair share of good NHL coaches, yet they haven’t had anything close to their fair share of World Junior coaches.

The bias in terms of naming the roster is understandable, as coaches will inevitably go with the players they know. So if you want more Quebec players, there should be a push for more Quebec coaches.

• English is not a Crime says:

Which players don’t deserve to be there and which players who clearly deserve it more weren’t invited?

It’s not bias, look at the NHL draft and count the number of OHL players that have gone in the top rounds recently. Clearly those players are going to be high on the chart for Team Canada because they belong there, not because they are from Ontario.

• English is not a Crime says:

For the record, 2012 draft first round. 11 from the OHL, 6 from the WHL and 1 from the QMJHL (Grigorenko who isn’t Canadian anyway).

2011 draft first round. 11 from the OHL, 5 from the WHL, 5 from the QMJHL.

Two year total: 22 OHL, 11 WHL, 6 QMJHL

Did you really think most of this group would be from Quebec and only bias would prevent that from happening? There’s a clear tipping of the scales toward Ontario in the past two years, which is where this team is going to be made from. That’s who’s going to be invited because that’s where the talent is right now. Next year it’ll shift again.

• Chris says:

English: I will confess to being surprised that Anthony Mantha didn’t get an invite. He’s got great size (6’3″, 200 pounds) and has put up strong numbers for a 2013 eligible player.

• English is not a Crime says:

Haven’t had a good look at the list yet. What position is Mantha? Could it have been one that is pretty loaded already?

I am guessing age has a bit to do with it, they likely have Mantha on the radar for next year with some of the older players being available this year (Nug, Scheiffle etc)?

• Chris says:

Mantha is a RW playing his off-side. But 25 goals and 44 points (only 3 behind MacKinnon) with Val d’Or is hard to turn away.

He’s another of those late birthday (September 16) guys that would have been drafted last year if his birthday were a week or two earlier.

• Cal says:

@Kooch
            Both. The Q has been overlooked time and again for coaching and players. This is systemic.

• HabinNorth says:

In the top two rounds of NHL draft last year, 30 of the top sixty came from the CHL, with 9 (30%) Whl, 16 (53%) OHL and 5 (17%) the Q. The Team Canada Roster shows 12 (32%) WHL, 18 (49%) OHL and 7 (19%) the Q.

Remarkably similiar results. Maybe it is what it is talent is the determining factor and each league has it ups and downs.

• Chris says:

The coach, Steve Spott, is the GM and coach of the Kitchener Rangers. He is obviously more familiar with OHL players and there is going to be a bias that creeps in there.

The same was true, for example, when Brent Sutter coached the World Junior teams. 14 off 22 players in 2005 were from the WHL.
      He was better in his second go around (7 of 22).

• Cardiac says:

Could also be that the Q doesn’t produce quality players like they used too. In the past five years, there are only a dozen or so players from the QMJHL who were drafted in the first round and none of them (with the exception of Kulikov and Couturier) have shown anything at the NHL level…

– Jerry Maguire

Sid will be negotiating. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410857

Anyone wants to take a wise crack at that?

49. AliHaba says:

Daniel Pribyl 16 7 +4
    Dalton Thrower 13 6 +3upper body
    John Westin 26 3 -9
    Josiah Didier 12 2 E
    Colin Sullivan 13 0 E

50. Chris says:

Ben: I’ll carry on the discussion from the earlier post here.

I chose the October 19th game against Guelph because after that the Sarault-Boucher-Galchenyuk line really took off.

Quite frankly, I think that Timmins’ comment about more points with better linemates is pure speculation. I’m not sure exactly who he wants Galchenyuk to play with. Sarault and Boucher are amongst the top performers in the OHL this season…would he make the same comment today? They were struggling at the time that you saw them, not surprising given that they had to develop some chemistry and learn to not get in each other’s way.

Sarault was good enough to play with Yakupov and posted good point totals even with Yakupov missing half the season and Galchenyuk missing the entire season. Boucher has been good enough to convert scoring chances into the 6th highest goal total in the OHL.

Who is Ryan Strome playing with that is so much better at converting chances? Brett Ritchie was hardly a scoring star before this season in Niagara playing on Strome’s wing, a 19 year old with a career high of 24 goals. Mitchell Theoret, the other member of that line, is a 19 year old forward with a career high of 21 points coming into this season. Is that really so much more stellar of a supporting cast than Galchenyuk? Not if we’re being objective.

Mark Schiefele has Anthony Camara and Steven Beyers as linemates up in Barrie. Beyers is a 20 year old that will never see the NHL, while Camara is a 19 year old (late birthday, eligible for this year’s draft) who had never topped 16 goals in a season.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love if Guelph picked up Galchenyuk as I think they are perhaps the best of the contenders who have a dire need for a #1 center, but Galchenyuk’s support really isn’t any worse than any other guy, even on the top teams in the OHL. That is the nature of that league….only 2-3 guys on any given roster have a hope of playing in the NHL.

Galchenyuk centering Mitchell and Kosmachuk would be a dream, though. Tanner Richard is doing the best he can, but Galchenyuk would be ridiculous with those guys on his wings. Guelph can offer up a decent prospect (Robby Fabbri) and some picks to get that trade done. They really should make a go at it, although they also need to land some consistent goaltending too.

• English is not a Crime says:

I’d be more prone to suggest that a team like Kitchener that has all the pieces and are just missing something to spark their offense would be a nice fit for him as well. Not to say that Sarnia isn’t already a good fit as they are far from a useless team by any means.

Rangers have Pumpel scoring, Murphy running the blueline and a couple of star talents in Faksa and Rieder that are just struggling to find their groove offensively right now. They’ve got the defensive game down and have the offensive firepower to light it up, but something’s not clicking. The right piece in there could make a pretty formidable force. Guelph has loads of offensive firepower, I think their needs right now are more centered around the defensive side of the puck.

• Chris says:

Yeah, but as a Guelph fan I’d rather we get him than Kitchener. :)

• English is not a Crime says:

Of course, I can just think of better targets for Guelph personally. As an aside, I am pretty good friends with some of the Guelph play by play guys on Rogers (grew up with them, played hockey with them from childhood etc) and Scotty Walker as well for that matter. I make my way to loads of games at the Sleeman Center (even if I can never remember if I spelled that right).

I personally would like to see Galy in the hands of either the Hunters (who have done nothing but produce one future NHL star after another) or Spott and the Rangers (who seem to have done the same, if you include Spott’s time with Deboerr as well) but, I am more than comfy watching him stay in Sarnia who have had their own success with guys like Yakupov and Stamkos as well.

Move I could see Guelph making would be more directed toward Niagara and a particular gem they have on their blueline right now… just a hunch I have.

• Chris says:

The problem with landing Hamilton is that Niagara are right there in the thick of contention as well, fighting with Barrie for the right to represent the Eastern Conference. I don’t them as a seller this season.

Walker has been a great pick-up. He’s a bit crazy, but the players really seem to love him and he has completely stabilized the Storm after the Jason Brooks disaster.

Regarding Hunter, his shine is a bit tarnished for me. He produced a good number of stars, but he hasn’t really developed one lately. His last home-grown NHL star was probably Corey Perry with perhaps Dave Bolland and Sergei Kostitsyn thrown in as well.

Most of his other stars in the NHL were one-and-done can’t miss prospects (Kane, Gagne, Carlson) or guys traded over from other teams once they were clear OHL stars (Tavares).

If the goal is to get Galchenyuk to a team that wins, London is the place. But there are other possibilities there as well.

Like you, I think that Guelph is actually fishing for a stud defenceman. Beukeboom was a nice pick-up and getting Finn back from mononucleosis will be a huge help, but they need one more guy that is a bit more steady than the mercurial Andrey Pedan or the inconsistent Zac Leslie.

• English is not a Crime says:

Been hearing the Dogs are looking to sell and look for the future… however, going with the theory of struggling clubs with veteran blueliners instead. A couple that fit that billing big time would be (no it’s not a cartoon duo) Ceci and Koekkoek in Peterborough and Ottawa.

• Chris says:

Koekkoek would be an interesting addition. I think he wants out of the mess in Peterborough, as he was rather outspoken about some of the issues surrounding that team.

It is so sad to see Peterborough, one of the best fan bases in the OHL, in such a mess. Way too much history for that franchise to be this bad for this long.

• Riga Fraction says:

Impossible to argue with that sentiment. Hopefully they sort that out quickly.

51. Say Ash says:

Can somebody explain the eligibility to be on the junior team? I’m kinda surprised RNH will be there, given he played a full season with the Oilers. Is it strictly based on his age? Or that the Oilers are barely an NHL team?

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…but love Nilan’s taste in dogs

…Pit Bulls, Mastiffs and Rottweilers and similar dogs, should be illegal or by-law obligated to wear a muzzle

…I don’t care how warm and fuzzy some irresponsible people feel about their bred fighting dogs, …they are time-bombs waiting to go off …if not with your own children, then the child down the road

…I don’t blame the dogs, it’s the idiots that own them

• The Dude says:

My Golden Retriever “Honeybear” and I agree 100% with you Chris!

I had a Rottweiler and I loved him dearly. He was a great dog, but didn’t grow up around any kids. When my nieces/nephews came out to visit I never had them play with Jed as I didn’t trust either with each other. I love the Breed, but they are an inherent guard dog. If raised with children and an excellent caregiver they can be great in the family.

So while I love the breed, I understand the concern people have for them and respect it. My dogs since are just as big, but tend to be a bit more reserved. Bernese Mountain Dogs, just wish they would live longer. My current fellow is 6 and a half years old and is still in excellent shape.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I get very emotional when I see these type of dogs un-muzzled, even when being held on a leash in public

…My emotions are not hatred of the dog, but towards the selfish air-headed fools that irresponsibly don’t understand or care about the risks

• The Dude says:

The Bernese Mountain dog is a beauty and I’d love to bred it with mine …..Golden Bernese Mountain Retrievers ;)

• AllHailTheFlower says:

I’ve owned two Berners, both developed cancer at the age of seven and had to be put to sleep, both times just a couple days before Christmas. Absolutely love the breed, I think Berners have the best disposition of all, but don’t know if I could stand the potential heartbreak of owning another.

I hear ya bud, my first one got cancer at age 5, ripped my heart out. Fingers crossed on this my second one. After I lost the first one, I did research like crazy, found out it has the highest disposition for cancer of all purebreds. I had to have one more, the temperment is so absolutely incredible. My best friend indeed!

• Cardiac says:

I have a bull terrier (like Don Cherry’s Blue) and she has never known life without my 5 year old daughter. She protects her, loves her and never ever shown aggression towards her. Even when she had her puppies. Why? Because she is well trained.

For you to call for a band on all “fighting dogs” yet say you don’t blame them… you blame the owners is a little contradictory, no? While I agree some breeds are somewhat genetically predisposed to aggression, you can say that about any animal. Animals are products of their environment.

– Jerry Maguire

• Chris says:

I’ve spent my life around dogs. The only breeds that cause me the slightest discomfort are Dobermans and German Shepherds (the only breed I’ve been attacked by).

The breeds you list are not bred fighting dogs. They just happen to be very strong dogs, so the bad dogs in the breed can do a lot of damage.

On a percentage basis, you are far likely to find hyper-aggressive chihuahuas or Jack Russell Terriers than Pit Bulls. I know a considerable number veterinary doctors (one of the perks of living in Guelph), and they are pretty universal in their distaste for Cocker Spaniels, which are apparently miserable dogs that are very likely to bite and are just large enough that those bites can cause damage. Hell, even many breeds of cats are far more vicious of animals than most of the dog breeds you list.

Don’t convolute inherent aggression (which the listed breeds do not have) with ability to do damage if they go haywire (which they emphatically do have). Banning breeds is the definition of lazy thinking, because it does not address the problem.

A Pit Bull or a German Shepherd in the wrong hands can both be extraordinarily dangerous animals. So target the clowns who are abusing their animals and turning them into aggressive animals instead of punishing the vast majority of the dogs that are responsibly raised by their owners.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…as I clearly stated previously Chris, it is the wildcard of the intelligence and responsibility of the owner I am most circumspect about, as much as the unpredictable power of jaws to do irreversible damage to My child, or anothers’ child

…that ‘wildcard’ rationally implores these type of dogs must, by law, be muzzled, if not, for the best interests of the community, be out-lawed

…the relative damage resulting from a deranged cat or Jack Russell Terrier is laughable and a red herring, with all due respect Chris

• Chris says:

Really? The damage from a feral cat bite is anything but laughable. If nothing else, your kid is immediately off to the hospital for some shots and you better hope that that cat didn’t have anything too nasty. The flora of a cat mouth is not compatible with humans.

There are a lot of things that go into learning to live with animals. One of the first responsibilities lies with parents to teach their children to learn how to interact with all animals, wild or tame, in an intelligent fashion. Sadly, this is often not the case. People teach their kids to be fearful, which is Step 1 of how not to behave around any animal.

The wildcard rationality is inane. Do you have that same fear behind the wheel? Because there are a hell of a lot more irrational drivers out there than there are dangerous pit bulls. By your argument, driving should be outlawed for everybody because we quite simply can’t trust the drivers in the other cars.

Who gives people the right to raise children? You want to talk about an entity that can cause ridiculous harm, look no further than the children of irresponsible parents. Should we ban the raising of children based on the number of kids that grow up and do great harm?

See how silly this logic is?

There are better ways to deal with the issue of a few bad animals. This has been demonstrated by all these animal bans now being overturned. They accomplished nothing that they set out to accomplish.

Your or my fear, to be frank, is not a very good reason to make or set laws. Laws should be set based on evidence, and the evidence suggests that the Pit Bull bans here in Ontario haven’t accomplished anything.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…sigh

…I will keep at the forefront of My mind that You are one of My favourite hockey posters :)

…Your insight on social responsibilities of pet owners, on the other hand ? …meh :)

• Chris says:

I think there is far too much misinformation out there on this particular issue.

No breed is more likely to bite than any other breed.

Many people, including most kids, have no idea how to behave around an animal. I see this all the time while walking my housemate’s Husky/Australian Shephherd cross. She is the most docile animal I’ve ever known (my family owned well over 10 dogs over the years), but I usually pull her back because I don’t trust people to behave responsibly. See how that comes back? The difference is that I’m not asking you to be regulated, I just want you to do your thing and I’ll make sure my dog does its thing. And if you can keep your children from running up to our dogs while smiling (huge no-no) and grabbing them from behind (huge no-no), that would be great.

I don’t ask you to leash your kid, while making sure that my dog is leashed. So if there is an interaction between my dog and your children, it is precipitated by your children who you did not properly train on how to deal with animals.

• English is not a Crime says:

This chart would tend to disagree.
            As far as a neighbourhood cat vs a pitbull… in all honesty, would you rather have a cat a jack russell or a pitbull coming toward you if you didn’t know who the owner of said animal was and may well be forced to try to defend yourself from a possible attack and were hoping to come away from said potential attack both alive and unmaimed? I’d have to suggest the risk of a cat attack is pretty darned slim, the risk of being unable to defend yourself from said cat or to overpower the cat would be equally as slim and the risk of said cat causing great bodily harm or possibly death would be next to non-existant compared to say a pit bull.

That’s kinda like comparing timbit hockey to Chara and saying those timbit kids have all kinds of germs though…. umm ya so? I’d still take my chances with them.

• Chris says:

English: The site you cite is from a lobby group pushing to have pit bulls banned. The statistics about the number of dog bites for a particular breed from various sources suggest that no individual breed is more likely to cause trouble than another one.

Of course I would be more concerned about a stray Pit Bull than I would a stray Jack Russell or a stray Cat. But how many stray Pit Bulls do you run into?

The original discussion circulated around a Pit Bull being walked on a leash by its owner. Responsible Pit Bull owners don’t allow this type of thing to happen.

Pit Bulls, like Rottweilers and Dobermans before them, were the dog breed of choice for dog fighting operations, a detestable practice by ignorant humans who should be strung up by their toe-nails.

My suggestion to people is to spend time around the various breeds and make decisions for yourself. I’ve known quite a few Pit Bulls, and nothing has ever given me pause in terms of their behaviour. All of them were very pleasant animals that were very well trained.

I’m not naive…an abused Pit Bull on the loose is a dangerous, potentially even deadly, animal.

I’m just pointing out that I’m far more worried about the psychopaths that own that dog than I am the dog itself. And I suspect most people on this board would be aghast if I suggested that all people have to be muzzled and legally regulated because I don’t trust them to not do me harm.

• English is not a Crime says:

I have to excuse myself then… I kinda think there are a lot of people that should be muzzled and leashed personally :)

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…must of been a gaggle of under-30s that voted Nilan the Habs’ number 1 enforcer

…Chris wouldn’t hold a candle to John Ferguson

…number 2 is a stretch, definitely not number one

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Habsrule1 says:

Nilan is easily number 2, and even in the conversation for #1 if we’re talking toughest player in Habs history. Ferguson was the best fighter in the league the whole time he was in it, but Nilan was tough as nails, and did not back down from guys who were undoubtedly stronger than he was.
      Knuckles may be my favorite player of all time, and not just cause he signed my jersey at the Ottawa premiere of The Last Gladiators.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Paul, I respect Your attachment to Chris Nilan, He was a favourite of mine too …but I was an eye-witness to 18 Stanley Cups, including the era of John Ferguson

…Fergie. believe Me, would have eaten Chris Nilan for lunch

• Habsrule1 says:

As I said, Fergie was the strongest of his era, but Nilan was just as tough (which is different from just as strong) as anyone who has played the game.

Fergie would have won the fight, but Nilan would not have backed down for a second….and perhaps he would have even kept it somewhat close.

Go Habs Go!!

54. commandant says:

Canada’s WJC selection camp roster

No surprise Hudon was invited

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Timo says:

That’s it? Just one Habs prospect?

• commandant says:

The only others who would be eligible for Team Canada are

Dalton Thrower (injured, out with a concussion, probably wouldn’t have made Canada’s extremely deep defence anyway) and
        Oliver Archambault (not near good enough even without the extra talent of a lockout year).

Galchenyuk will be on the US squad. Vail might be on the US squad, Collberg will be on the Swedish squad.

Bozon turned down the invite to play for france at the Division II tourney.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…surprised …I know Division II pales in comparison, but playing for your country is something special

• Cardiac says:

What about Tinordi for the US squad? I can understand Beaulieu not getting an invite given how deep they are in D. Unfortunately, Subban isn’t a shoe-in at goal, although at this point it could be anyone.

– Jerry Maguire

55. melski says:

No Pierre Bouchard on that list? Wow!

56. shiram says:

Ovie wants the NHL back, as the Russians are more interested in basketball. Might put a stomp on the rumours of his staying in the KHL…

French piece here : http://fr-ca.actualites.yahoo.com/lnh-lock-ovechkin-sennuie-152820052–spt.html

• 24 Cups says:

You know what Ovie needs? He needs his mojo back. Once (arguably) the top player in the league, he has now slipped to #5.

• shiram says:

I won’t put a # to it, but he’s definitely slipped alot.
        He’s playing just above ppg in the KHL now, but is that anything to write home about?

• Chris says:

With 27 points in 22 games, his pace isn’t that far off Evgeni Malkin’s pace of 37 points in 27 games.

And Malkin is a pretty awesome player. :)

• shiram says:

Eliteprospects has him at 7g/12a in 18 games, but that might be outdated? That’s what I based my comment on.

• Chris says:

Shriam: I see. Eliteprospects must be out of date, which is a bit surprising as they are usually a good site for that.

The official KHL scoring leaders has him 12th overall at the moment (although he is coming off a hat trick in his last game).

The KHL is generally a low-scoring league. Not too many guys have a point-per-game or better thus far, despite the influx of NHL talent during the lockout.

• Chris says:

I think the big problem with Ovechkin is that he’s playing too heavy. Ovechkin was 6’2″ and 200 pounds when he came into the league, while Evgeni Malkin was 6’3″ and 186 pounds. They both had huge years in their rookie seasons in the NHL. Since then, Malkin has added 10 pounds and now plays at 6’3″ and 195 pounds, while Ovechkin’s weight has been steadliy increasing as he puts on more muscle:

2003/04: 200 lbs
        2005/06: 212 lbs
        2008/09: 220 lbs
        2009/10: 233 lbs
        2010/11: 234 lbs

(reference)

I see that he’s listed as 99 kilograms on the KHL website, which would work out to 218 pounds. If that is true, I think we could see a very different Ovechkin when the league starts up again.

The NHL’s size obsession really takes a lot away from some of the skill guys. Another victim: Andrei Kostitsyn. Coming out of Russia, Kostitsyn was widely cited for his explosive skating ability, featuring both great top-end speed and elite level acceleration.

Then the Habs got their hands on him. A guy who came into the NHL as a 6’0″, 180 pound winger was suddenly a 6’0″, 215 pound winger who had lost that acceleration. If he was down at 195 to 200 pounds, I think he would be a much better hockey player.

• commandant says:

He needs to work on other aspects of his game, teams have adapted to his tendency to pull up, use the defender as a screen and shoot off his off wing (on the rush). He needs to stop being so one dimensional and get back to cutting to the net and deking guys out like he used to do.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree. He isn’t the player he once was. He might bounce back but I due to the physical nature of the game he plays I think it is tough to keep that up.

Remember that game years ago when the habs were up by a few goals and Franky B pasted him and he came back and on his own sunk the habs….that was an impressive feat

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Dogs – a life devoted to loving and being loved.

EDIT: In 22 days, I’ll have the coolest avatar on the site.