Toronto transit workers don’t want to wear Habs colours

The reason?

They believe they will look like Habs because of the red, white and blue striped caps and golf shirts and the transit commission confirmed it “will always support the Leafs.”

The National Post reported that while the TTC is still finalizing the design for its new uniforms, slated to come out next year, images of possible options have been circulated among staff.

“Everyone at my division that has seen them hates them,” one TTC operator, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Post. “As someone who was born in Toronto I take exception to the colours; too much like the Habs. … They pay [us] to wear a uniform so I’ll wear it, but not Montreal Canadiens-coloured golf shirts.”

Bob Kinnear, who leads the union representing Toronto transit workers, derided the red, white and blue design as “absolutely awful,” telling the Post he has heard “loud-and-clear” opposition from staff.

“Born-and-bred Torontonians, we’ve got to support our team,” Kinnear told the Post, noting he has spoken with TTC chief executive Andy Byford on the matter: “If you’re in Manchester, you don’t wear the colours of Liverpool.”

In other news, Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin announced on Tuesday that free-agent defenceman Joel Chouinard has been signed to a one-year, two-way American Hockey League/ECHL contract for the 2013-14 season.

The 23-year-old split the 2012-13 season between the AHL’s Lake Erie Monsters and the Central Hockey League’s Denver Cutthroats. In 42 games with the Cutthroats, he posted 6-14-20 totals with 28 penalty minutes. In 10 games with the Monsters, he was held pointless while picking up 11 penalty minutes.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Longueuil native was selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the sixth round (167th overall) at the 2008 NHL draft.

(Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

TTC operators reject ‘Montreal Canadiens-coloured golf shirts’, National Post

Habs jersey was ranked No. 1 by ESPN.com, Stuonsports blog

Video of P.K. Subban in training, Canadiens.com

Ducks lose former Hab Souray for up to six months, TSN.ca

Former Hab Mario Tremblay fighting DUI charge, montrealgazette.com

1. SmartDog says:

This TTC article shows how different Toronto is. The fact that it got to this point is ridiculous.

Do you think a black and gold uniform would ever have been considered in Montreal? The idea would have been laughed out of the first meeting and the employee who came up with it ribbed for the rest of their career.

But Toronto – it took making the damn things for some bright bulb to say “hey, these are the Habs colours”. Shame on you Toronto.

And shame on you for making your uniforms USA colours too…. which is probably where this comes from. “Let’s kiss more American butt shall we?” “- Oh yes – lets!”

————————————-
    Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

Anybody with an Ipad here? Check out what this guy does with his, no need to understand German to enjoy.

3. JohnBellyful says:

While waiting for a few more posters to check in at Hotel HIO, I wandered over by the news stand to check up on … ah … what’s happenin’. And you’re not going to like what I found out.
    Then again, you might.

4. JohnBellyful says:

Don’t get me wrong, this summer’s been great, don’t want to see it end, and I’m old but do have a life, so I’m in no hurry to see the days go rushing by, … and yet, and yet, I got to tell ya, waiting for the hockey season to start is like, I dunno, like
    – being in an airplane circling a busy airport waiting for the control tower to tell your pilot it’s okay to land
    – standing outside the washroom with your legs crossed cuz you really got to go but your teenaged daughter needs five more minutes to dry her hair
    – waiting for your sister-in-law to get to the point
    – checking the mail every day for the X-ray glasses you ordered, it’s gotta be seven weeks ago and they said four to six weeks for delivery
    – standing in the express line behind the idiot with the full grocery cart
    – waiting for the weasel to pop
    – watching the waitress walk by your table a dozen times – minimum – since you asked for a water refill 20 minutes ago
    – waiting for the pain killer to kick in
    – lying in bed wide awake biding your time until it’s late enough in the morning, say 5 a.m., that you won’t get in trouble with your parents when you go racing downstairs to check out the unwrapped presents Santa brought you
    – waiting for the Zamboni to get off the ice so you and the guys can start your Sunday morning old-timers’ pickup game
    – letting your hot Hawaiian pizza cool a bit before you take a bite
    – waiting for Godot, even though you’ve never met the guy and you can’t remember what team he played for but you’re pretty sure he was a high draft pick and he probably has a bunch of good hockey stories to tell
    – racking your brain trying to remember the name of the person you’re talking to, knowing that it will likely come to you, five minutes after the two of you have gone your separate ways – or later in the middle of the night
    – gripping a ticket in your sweaty hand with only 10 numbers left in the elimination draw for a 2013 Ford Focus
    – standing unzipped over the toilet bowl after your irate teenaged daughter finally left so you could use the washroom and … waiting, just waiting

– “A little song, a little dance, a little dribble down your pants.” –

• Habfan10912 says:

Ha ha ha. Funny stuff JB. I confuse my kids and grandkids names. You know like “Chris, Tom I mean Mason.”. Seems I have to go through the list to get it right. Sigh.

• JohnBellyful says:

I have the same problem, Habfanone-oh-oh-oh-ten? No, no, that’s not it!.Uh, yeah, I know whatcha mean, Habfunone-oh-nine …nine … nine-NEIN!
        Damn straight, Bob! … I mean Jim, Jim!

My glasses haven’t arrived either John, nice work this morning. I am a little concerned about what you found in your post above though.

• JohnBellyful says:

I’m worried, too, Burl’. You got transit workers in Toronto not wanting to wear ‘Canadien colours’ and now this.
        (And rumour has it, the video with Ford showed him ripping up a photo of PK — a Toronto boy! — just because he plays for the Habs)
        Has the city declared war on Montreal?

5. Captain aHab says:

Wow, is this offseason ever going by sloooooooooooooooooooowly. When this crap and Tokarski signing are big news…..

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

6. Cal says:

What those TTC workers need is some R-E-S-P-E-C-T

7. twilighthours says:

First for today. Early days, these are. The boy is getting up at 5:30.

Frank, when you get here: it’s going well!

8. Epic says:

This seems like a really petty and juvenile complaint coming from a group of grown adults. Like, seriously, GROW UP!!

and that is my first post!

nice to meet you all!

9. GrimJim says:

My wife just turned on America’s Got Talent and I just realized that America is being judged by a Canadian, a Brit, a German and an alien…

10. Harditya says:

I love Toronto (the city itself). Or maybe it’s just the university/college atmosphere. All of my friends (like many people here) are originally from a different background, yet they’re just as Canadian as anyone else. And hey free language lessons from buddies, I think I have picked up enough Russian to order a coffee there!

Interesting how an entire city is so easily judged. I am a proud transplant from Wpg, I now live in Burlington which I absolutely love. I choose not to live in the big city of Toronto but fail to understand the almost juvenile attacks on the city. It is part of Canada, and contains many great people, heck many who post here live in T.O. Didn’t realize living in Mtl actually makes a person a better person. Thankfully no elitists here!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Reading yesterday’s comments I don’t really see any actual attacks on the city (on the Leafs and Leaf fans maybe but that’s different), nor any statements to the effect that living in Montreal makes someone better.

Probably an overreaction on my part, perhaps too much time drowning my ball teams first playoff loss of the season. Point taken HF! Cheers

12. habsfan0 says:

“Members of the Toronto Transit Commission are upset about proposed new uniforms for them.”

Solution to this problem is readily apparent.
    TTC should only hire Habs Fans.

13. Mavid says:

Just in case you forgot tomorrow is my gum surgery..and deep cleaning..I will report back when I return to the land of the living.

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

14. frontenac1 says:

Toronto airport. “Runway 66,The Landing Strip”.Good Times amigos!

15. mrhabby says:

Lots of thranna bashing going on..its a big city what do u expect.

And don’t give me that crap about to cold. Montreal is way colder and much more snow than thranna and the summers are hot so is Montreal…enjoy both cities.

• pmaraw says:

I get that you are talking about toronto, but I have never heard or read any canadian butcher the name so badly and ask people to enjoy the city at the same time???…

16. twilighthours says:

Punk, what instrument do you play?

When I was 19, I traded my alto sax for a telecaster. The ladies appreciated a guitar a bit more, you know?

17. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Sometimes it’s just the stupid things in life that make it fun, and this story is one of those. Good on the Toronto transit guys. I wouldn’t wear Leafs or Bruins colours, just because I’m juvenile as can be, deep down. And I admire people prepared to follow their lights.

I like Toronto. It has a great zoo, and lots of good stuff going on. I love Boston, for the port, the New England Aquarium and for the Dropkick Murphys. I don’t hate their hockey teams – I just want them to lose every single game they play. I don’t feel that in a mean way….

I’m a Habs fan, and that little corporate logo matters to me, as I’m sure a leafs fan likes their corporate logo. We all should throw our hands up and spit on the NHL, but we don’t (much). It’s hockey. We grew up with the greed and the glory, the crap and the colours. It’s fun.

18. John Q Public says:

Seeing as we rebuilding from within and Plekanec seems to disappear come playoff time is he trade bait this year let’s say for Malkin?
    That would speed up are chances at the cup a bit.

• on2ndthought says:

ppg regular season .66
      ppg playoffs .63
      team struggled last year in playoffs, Pleks 4 points in 5 games

OK, if you get Malkin and Letang, go ahead and pull the trigger

“a cannonading drive”

• punkster says:

First of all, do you also believe that PK disappears during these playoffs as well? Check Pleks playoff stats over the years and don’t believe the interwebby silliness and urban legends about him disappearing.

Next, if you seriously believe that Pleks disappears then how can you possibly suggest anyone in his right mind would trade him for Malkin.

Apart from that…awesome post.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

19. Sportfan says:

Going to Vermont for the Day to catch a minor league baseball game, any stores, or places I should check out while I’m there?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

20. jrshabs1 says:

Sad part of the whole TTC uniform flap is that the Habs biggest rival are the Bruins..not leafs. Leaf fans don’t seem to understand that. I guess the pathetic insecure leaf fan is alive and well in the big smoke. The whole Montreal/Toronto rivalry is a product of the Toronto media because the loser leafs have a hard time making the playoffs and have no real rival. Hey leaf fans…remember that time in 1979 when the Habs and leafs last met in the playoffs?

Go Habs Go!!

• Dust says:

To be fair. The Whole Montreal/Toronto rivalry is a product of both the Toronto And the Montreal Media. As you said, Montreals biggest rival is Boston. Torontos biggest rival is Ottawa.

21. sweetmad says:

The first time I came to Canada,I had to fly into Toronto,the plane was late so I missed my train to Montreal.I went to every body I could, to find out if there was a bus or what time the next train was.No one was interested in helping me,I did manage to get a bus in the end,but it was no thanks to anybody in Toronto Airport.

When I was returning to England, they had overbooked my plane, and as I was the last to check in,I couldn’t get on the plane.I had to spend 24 hours in the airport,it was the most unfriendly place,I have ever been,I have been in airports all over the world,Toronto airport was the worst,they were so unfriendly and unhelpful.

The airport is the only place I have been in Toronto and the bus station,but I hope I never have to go again,unless of course it was to watch the HABS beat the Leafs.
    GOHABS GO

• mrhabby says:

Went to San Francisco last week….staff at Pearson could not be more helpful.

• Timo says:

I don’t like Pearson, but even more so I detest Trudeau airport in Mtl. Airports suck in general. At least in Frankfurt you can get some very good sausages, sauerkraut and beer at 4 am :)

• habstrinifan says:

As a former long time resident of Toronto, I understand your disgust with any rude and unhelpful treatment from workers or ordinary people at the airport. This is unfortunate.

I have railed and ranted against the Leafs and their fans… as it is an act of proper citizenship to do so if you are a hockey fan. There is nothing as repulsive as the Toronto Maple Leafs.. and the fact that a one-game win streak(especially were it against the HABS) makes their media sycophants go wild is an unbearable angst for me as a HABS fan.

But I assure you, Toronto, is a wonderful, friendly, safe, Canadian city. If you can close your eyes/ears to you know what.

I am sure , if you get a chance to revisit, your experiences will bear this out.

22. Mattyleg says:

Souray injured, eh?
    That guy has two types of luck; Bad Luck and No Luck.
    Hope he gets himself together and bounces back.
    Always liked him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. JayK-47 says:

I hope Torontians never figure out their teams colors are also those of the Quebec flag.

24. commandant says:

Adam Oates coaching and how he did in his first year in Washington.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

25. frontenac1 says:

Too bad about Souray. Hope it’s not bone grafted one.

26. frontenac1 says:

I can’t get mad at those transit drivers. It’s a Ralph Cramden (Jackie Gleason)thing.

27. twilighthours says:

Thanks for the thoughts, Toronto haters. I lived there for 5 years, in davisville, high park, and the beaches, in that order. Was a bored white collar professional, part time student, bike messenger, and dog walker, in that order. I met my wife there. I have wide range of experiences in Toronto, and I love it, so indulge my stream of consciousness rant about why I love it:

-the green spaces and parks, particularly High park, sunny brook, the don and Humber river valleys.
    -it’s a very runnable city, and it’s even a bikeable city, as long as you avoid the streetcar tracks!
    -the restaurants. Oh the restaurants. You’re never more than a block from Thai (green mango!), Indian, Ethiopian, Italian, Mexican, japanese, vegetarian, Chinese… It’s all right there. And there’s no reason to go to a fancy shop because the cheap ones are just as good.
    -outstanding art galleries and museums
    - the ttc (yes, I like it)
    -it has a John fluevog store
    -great theatre district
    -every band you’d ever want to see plays Toronto
    -every up and coming band that you wish you had seen when they were small plays Toronto. Man I loved the scene there
    -the drive along the gardiner late at night, with the skyline lit up
    -the pro sports. It’s great to have that buzz, even if it has to be the leafs
    -the beaches. Beautiful, especially with a dog or a pretty lady (or guy)
    -one hour and you’re at the moraine or the escarpment, where it is mtn biking or trail running heaven
    -pizza by the slice is as good as anywhere in North America, except NY
    -the bubbling multiculturalism, and the amazing ethnic villages
    -the CBC head office. Loves me my cbc

• HabFab says:

Meant my ex in TO also “sigh” and it is not that bad. My oldest two were born there. But it is not Montreal or Vancouver even. Are you trying to psych yourself into moving back?

• twilighthours says:

Ha, nope! My house, with the neighbourhood it’s in here in halifax-ish, would be well out of my $ range in Toronto. I’d love to live and raise the kids there but job, cost of living, lifestyle, and proximity to grandparents trumps all that other stuff.

And pssst – this wasn’t a MTL vs Toronto thing. They are both great cities.

• punkster says:

Lived there mid 70s to ’92 and really enjoyed it…best place in Canada for a jazz musician at the time and my segue to white collar desk job was painless, eventually landing me in Montreal.

The good back then: jazz clubs, music everywhere, excellent food, World Series Blue Jays, diverse easily accessible and safe neighborhoods, easy access to cottage country and an incredibly focused business environment.

The bad: expensive housing, expensive golf, no real skiing, and a hockey team that sucked donkey gonads.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
          but…
          ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• frankcasting says:

Agree 99% (I hate CBC except for the news). I live in Toronto, and I will likely die here, don’t miss Montreal and its racism at all, just the good memories of pre-1976, and the Habs. I think the TTC proposed uniforms are hideous, regardless of any association with Habdom.

Loving the Habs since 1965

28. PrimeTime says:

I read this TTC colour thing this AM and the 1st thought that came to mind was some Leaf fans are just moronic as some Hab fans here! If the shoe were on the other foot?? Oh ya.,. Then it would be Fleur du “Leafs” colour!!

29. HabFanSince72 says:

Here’s something to think about.

Florida receives money from the revenue sharing provision of the NHL.

Montreal contributes to the pool.

When you buy a ticket to see the Habs, you are paying part of Scott Gomez’ salary.

Now please tell me what kind of language appropriately conveys the outrageousness of that fact.

30. twilighthours says:

Could someone who hates Toronto please explain why?

• John Q Public says:

1. Just because.
      2. As anglo born and raised in Québec I can say, Maudit anglais.
      3. Just a boring city.
      4. Used to be an arch enemy of the Habs, therefore automatic hate.

• bel33 says:

@JQP
        1. Nice reason.
        2. French Canadian… born and raised in Ontario. I call my friends English Pigs and they all love Montreal for its “nightlife”. :)
        3. Toronto is far from being a boring city. You really don’t know if you say that.
        4. Can’t argue there.. but it’s tough ’cause I love everything about my city… except the Leafs. Oh and the traffic. Err… and the construction. Oy… our mayor is a dunce. Fine.. mostly everything.

• Ian Cobb says:

I love Toronto, and Halifax to Victoria, but Torontonians can only see the BLUE in the Canadian flag!

• Dust says:

i like toronto. I live an hour from there and love going there for the day. so much to do

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Toronto is that kid in that class in high school, who always has his hand up, whether he’s right or wrong. He loves the sound of his own voice, he’s a great talker but a lousy listener. Everything that happens to him is more important than what happens to you. You cheer, inwardly, when he drops his pencil case and the pens scatter all over the floor. He thinks he knows everything , but is easily confused.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t hate it, but it is a bit boring. It seems to aspire to the status of a generic international city. Also too hot in summer, bitterly cold in winter, with awful traffic.

• christophor says:

I think this is exactly right, and I’ve lived right smack in the middle of downtown for 7 years.

That said, with any city this big, there are going to be unique places. For example, I haven’t been to a bar elsewhere that Bar Volo hasn’t stopped reminiscing about too much.

As for the Toronto-centric charge (that others often make but you don’t here), I highly doubt that Toronto is over represented when you consider the percentage and diversity of the population that’s packed into the GTA. I can see how that would be annoying for those elsewhere, though.

Still, it’s an underwhelming city overall.

Edit: too hot in the summer and too cold int he winter is a bigger indictment of Montreal than Toronto, no? But you’re right that traffic is a nightmare.

• Chris says:

I think it is the one of two things that unites all Canadians.

We may disagree on the Leafs vs. Habs vs. the newer Canadian teams.

We may disagree on French vs. English.

We may disagree on winter vs. summer.

But we all agree that Toronto sucks (although it doesn’t really) and that politicians are a blight (well, can’t argue that one). Judging by the bumper to bumper traffic every Friday night, even Torontonians don’t like Toronto. :)

• Saintpatrick33 says:

There’s no place like Montreal. Toronto is too big too homogenized too bland for my tastes. It’s too bad everyone fled Montreal this city was really great once.

• Sportfan says:

Sport thing really, nothing against the town aside the Jays I dislike their other teams aside that I don’t mind it one bit! The few times I have gone, I have been treated very nicely!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• GrimJim says:

I was about 10 years old and was headed to a scout jamboree beside Lake Erie. Coming from Ottawa, the scout leader drove back roads until just on the edge of TO then connected to the 401. A little bit afterward, someone said ” Here’s Toronto” so I looked up out the windshield just as the van crested a hill and there was 16 lanes of superhighway bisecting endless buildings and houses. I couldn’t see a tree or grass anywhere I looked. I remembered thinking “where is the green? How can you live somewhere without trees?” I’ve been to TO since then, visiting family and friends and while the city seems nice, I have never shook that initial impression of a concrete wasteland.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

I have only one thing against Toronto.

It;s the way some Torontonians refer to their city as Tchronna.

It’s the ‘ch’ sound after the ‘T’ that bugs me. Tchronna.

If someone tells you he’s from ‘Tchronna’ don’t make fun of their mayor or of famous resident Don Cherry. Chances are he’s a fan of both.

Oh yeah – he’s also probably wearing a baseball cap backwards. Don’t make fun of that either.

• bel33 says:

Trust me… all of us are embarrassed about Chris Farley our mayor. Wait.. that’s an insult to the memory of Chris Farley.

And no one who can actually speak properly… calls it that. Those that can’t… call it Tah-ranna. :)

Hey… I was a backcatcher when I played little league… the backwards hat stuck! ;)

32. HabFanSince72 says:

HOLY CRAP!!!

I just googled Scott Gomez.

HE SIGNED A CONTRACT WITH AN NHL TEAM!!!

WHAT THE [redacted] ????????

175 HIO MEMBERS WILL BE ATTENDING OUR EVENTS OCT.25th & 26th!!
    Hurley’s Pub will have to order a few more keg’s.

Itinerary-Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

PLEASE call the HOTEL not me, for hotel reservation!
    ONLY 10 rooms left.!

2013 SUMMIT HOTEL RATE AGREEMENT
    Hockey Inside Out
    REQUIREMENT
    Arrival : Friday 25th, 26th October, 2013 – check-in 15:00
    Departure : check-out 12:00
    Housing Procedure: Individual calling
    Deadline: September 25th 2013
    Method of Payment : Individual
    Although the hotel is not blocking any rooms, it guarantees the below rates until September 25th 2013.
    After that date, the rates are no longer guaranteed
    Tarification
    Single Double Triple Quad
    $119 $119 $144 $169
    RATES
    - Are for single or double occupancy, Add $25 per additional person, max. 4 per room
    - Include Basic Internet Access (256kb)
    - Does not include high speed internet. a daily fee of $9.95 applies
    - All tax’s apply per room per night
    - Will be extended 3 days prior to and/or following your event, subject to availability
    - Are quoted in Canadian funds
    METHOD OF RESERVATION
    - Individual attendees will be responsible for payment of their room, tax and incidental, as well as any cancellation charges if they apply.
    - One night deposit is required upon reservation. This is non refundable if cancelled.

- Individual reservations can be made by contacting the Novotel Montreal Centre Reservations Department directly by phone at 514-871-2138 or 1-866-861-6112 (USA and Canada) or by fax at 514-861-6470
    Callers must mention the group name HIO, Hockey Inside Out to ensure they receive the appropriate rate and are included in the guest room block.
    Novotel Montreal Center
    Chantal Morin

34. frontenac1 says:

Lived in Hogtown for 8 yrs back in the 80″s. Don’t miss it at all. Except maybe those fine Topless bars out by the airport.Saludos!

35. ClutchNGrab says:

“The closer it comes to training camp, it becomes more and more of a distraction,” Kadri told The Star’s Kevin McGran. “That said, I’m being more than reasonable. Right now, it’s their decision to make.”

That’s funny.

36. piper says:

I see Fistric is gone to the Ducks. Oh well, I hope Bergevin has his sights on a trade to shore up the D.

37. ClutchNGrab says:

Summer is almost over, and I didn’t give any book suggestion. However if you’re an ebook reader Tuebl is the site to go.

38. t1tan5 says:

God I hate Toronto. Can’t believe I’m going to have to move there in a couple weeks.

• turbodragon says:

I know this is heresy in these parts, but having lived there for a year, Toronto’s really not that bad. It’s large enough that you can always find something you’ll enjoy. Be sure to check out Kilgour’s Bar, they’re Habs fans.

• twilighthours says:

Toronto is a world class, beautiful city

• t1tan5 says:

Thanks for the tip about Kilgour’s. Duly noted.

• Geezerfan says:

I grew up in Abitibi so Montreal was the absolute Mecca, even if the Habs were not there. The city still has that spirit that is almost palpable, certainly, but having spent a lot of time on a steady basis for the past ten years or so in Toronto, I would say that Toronto has Montreal beat on many fronts. Being a member of the visible minority, there is still a vestige or two of that old debbil “racism” to be dealt with in certain circles and certain quarters of Montreal in particular and Quebec in general. God bless the “pur laine”.

• Habfan10912 says:

You will be close to the Bulldogs. A lot of good young players headed there the next few seasons.

• Habfan10912 says:

Remember reading a lot of positive stuff about Ellis while he played in Jr’s. I guess skating is an issue living up to the pro’s. There does appear to be a plethora of defenseman in the Hab’s system. That’s not neccesarily a bad thing.
      Thanks for the link Frank.

39. No.4isNo.1 says:

Don’t know if it has already been posted and I just missed but TSN is reporting that the habs have resigned Dustin Tokarski for 1 year

Better times are ahead

40. thebonscott says:

This chouinard guy looks solid, good hamilton addition, like the part about blistering shot

Habs Fanatic Since 1984

41. Sportfan says:

When Gainey made the trade for Gomez, he claimed there were other teams he was talking too, I would like to know who the others were?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

42. habsfan0 says:

Toronto transit workers not wanting to wear Habs colours is merely the 2nd biggest news item coming out of the GTA today.

The biggest is the news that the Toronto police officer that was charged with 2nd degree murder in the streetcar shooting has been granted bail.

Which, I believe, makes him the 1st person in Toronto to be charged with 2nd degree murder and granted bail since Dave Winfield killed that seagull in 1983.

43. ClutchNGrab says:

Has any of them seen the flag of their city? Or their province for that matter?

44. B says:

Here’s a photo of the offending proposed TTC shirt and cap:

–Go Habs Go!–

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Those look like the Habs? So they are also blind in addition to stupid…

45. sheds88 says:

Not a football I see. Man U and Liverpool are red. Man U & Man. City more like

Am I the only one who sees blank avatars?

47. HabFanSince72 says:

OK enough talk about transit and beer.

Let’s talk hockey.

4 years is the minimum amount of time to evaluate a trade.

So.

30 June 2009.

Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt and Mike Busto for Christopher Higgins, Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko and the rights to Doug Janik.

Who’d you reckon won that one?

• ZepFan2 says:

We did. It was a busto.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Timo says:

It was really really close one. I mean, Scotty G was sooo good in the room and in front of the cameras. You just can’t put a value on that.

• Eddie says:

You would be surprised how many people still posting here were supporting Gainey on that trade. just like the dozens here who were adamant last summer that Subban was no where near a #1 d-man, that Eller would never develop beyond 3rd line duties, that Plekanec was a huge star, in Jonathan Toew’s territory, that Price was the best goalie in the NHL, that Jacques Martin was a great coach, and it goes on and on and on.

• Bripro says:

Gomez … say no more.
      Tom Pyatt …. did well in the playoffs that year.
      Mike who?

Higgins…. meh
      Valentenko who?
      Janik… what…. 40 games with the Red wings?

And of course, McDonagh.
      The barometer by which this trade will always be considered a bust for the Habs.

By the way…. what beer discussion?

• Phil C says:

That was one of the few trades where most people knew it was bad right away. Someone here posted a discussion on HFboards from that day which I found quite funny in hindsight. People were freaking out when they found out the Habs were taking on $7M in cap space for 60 point centre….and then they found out McDonagh was a throw-in.

Even as bad as it was at the time, not even the worst pessimist could have predicted the steep decline in Gomez’s game.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Winners? The bars in Old Montreal…

48. Sportfan says:

How pathetic can you get, the Rangers and Jets have the same colors too its not just the Habs. Well I wouldn’t people who behave pathetically to wear colors that resemble ours!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

49. secretdragonfly says:

Gotta feel bad for Souray; he’s had a lot of injury issues since leaving the Habs. Ducks have also signed Fistric.

50. The Cat says:

I honestly dont get the Toronto-Montreal rivalry, maybe at one time but now Montreal-Boston is way better.

Hab fans recognize that our true rival is Boston, Toronto fans think the rivalry is Toronto vs. Montreal.

• bel33 says:

My buddies here in Toronto who are educated Leaf fans… hate the Senators first and foremost, and simply dislike the Habs like we all dislike the Leafs.
        The ones who pipe up and make a big stink out of the “rivalry” are the older Leaf fans and the jealous younger fans who’ve never known a winning team. All of them however…CAN’T stop talking about that stupid high sticking non-call in ’93. Let… it… go.

• Sportfan says:

They just wish they could have some how lost to the Habs in the Finals!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I love how the putative, highly debatable high stick is described as a near miss for a Cup, whereas it was a missed penalty in Game 6. They talk about it like a goal that shouldn’t have counted, or one that should have been called back, but it was nothing that decisive.

Even if a penalty had been called, they still would have had to score a goal to win the game. Which then would only have taken them to the Finals, where Saint Patrick would have been waiting for them.

51. RD says:

As a life long habs fan, I wouldn’t want fans of a loser team wearing habs colours either.

1967…

52. Luke says:

It is funny to me that the TTC bru-haha is all about public sector employees wearing the Habs’ colours, not wearing the USA’s colours…

53. jackbutt says:

I always knew the leafs fans were cry babies, but wow that tops it all. GO HABS GO AND BLOW LEAFS BLOW,

54. H.Upmann says:

Guess the TTC folks can stick with that awful maroon-grey combination that works so well for them.

55. Claude Kane III says:

Ok, since some of the talk this morning has been around food, this would seem like a good time to ask. My brothers and I are planning a trip in for Superbowl weekend to watch the Habs games (unfortunately it’s the Jets and Lightning, but whatever), followed by a trip to a bar to watch the Superbowl. Schwartz’s will happen. What would most here consider the best smoked meat other than Scwartz’s? Other food suggestions I should have on my shortlist? Also, best bar to head to for watching the Superbowl post-Habs game? Thanks!

The goggles do nothing!

• HabFanSince72 says:

What are you looking for food wise?

There’s a decent hipsterish bar in the Mile End called Royal Phoenix that has a superbowl party every year. Good food. Better than going to some sports bar downtown.

• Claude Kane III says:

Food-wise we’re pretty much a blank slate. Definitely going to do smoked meat once or twice. Otherwise we basically just want to try out some different places. Burgers, craft beer, curry, steak, pizza, poutine, pub food, doesn’t matter. Really just interested in finding some excellent local places (keeping in mind that we’ll be walking for the most part). For the Superbowl we really just need to find a place that we can get into, has good beer, and decent TVs.

The goggles do nothing!

• Bripro says:

I guess it depends on what your preferences are.
      Here are my favourites, in no particular order:

Chicken – Chalet BBQ – http://www.chaletbbq.com/

European (mostly french) – Pastaga – http://www.pastaga.ca/menu.html

Sweet and different (excellent food) – Au Pied du Cochon Sugar Shack (it’s a 60-75 drive north of Montreal) – http://www.cabaneasucreaupieddecochon.com/

Steak – Moishes – http://www.moishes.ca/

Nice Ambiance, decent food, for cheaper – Dundee’s Deli and bar – http://www.dundees-barandgrill.com/en

And here are a few which are off the beaten track, and perhaps a little non-traditional, but some of my favourites for certain.

If you love italian, and don’t care about a cozy sit-down at either of two tables or a counter bar, there’s La Trettoria Deli in Baie d’Urfe (West end of west island Montreal) – The food is simple, cheap and very good.

If you love Mexican, there’s a great place in our home town, where the two Mexican owners close down between Christmas and March, where they head home to enhance their fine Mexican art :

It’s called El Cactus. To be frank, it depends of it’s the wife or the husband cooking. If it’s the wife, you’re certainly in luck.

If you like burgers, but non-traditional, the best around is
      The Rail in Khanawake. It’s next to the poker club where all the Habs players go to lose their money. On any given day, you’ll see Carey Price or Travis Moen there. The food’s worth the detour.

Finally, if you like smoke meat-type, but a little different, and certainly a reflection of Montreal of yesterday, just for the environment, you have to try Wilensky’s.
      You go in and ask for a special and a Cherry cola, and they’ll pour it out of a 50s fountain, with a dill. Great comfort food.

I hope this helps. And Bon Appétit!

• Habs_4_ever says:

If your going to have Poutine your best option is La Banquise.
      As for Smoked Meat, my favorite place is Lesters Deli
      ————————
      “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

56. ari says:

@Bob Kinnear:
    Manchester and liverpool both wear red

Ha! Great point, thankfully Mr. Kinnear really thought through his analogy before opening his mouth. Watching interviews with him, I am always left with an understanding why I am relieved I don’t need to rely on the TTC.

• Chris says:

Manchester City fans would argue that point. Probably with fists, clubs and steel-toed boots.

57. WindsorHab-10 says:

I say fire the bastards from Toronto transit. Just kidding. Having them wear our colors is an insult to our team. Go Habs & yes Leafs nation still SUCKS.

Did we really want bus drivers sleeping on the job wearing our colours? I am very happy with this decision, glad to see the public sector as usual is ensuring that all things important to running a safe and efficient transport business are being dealt with appropriately…..

59. Bripro says:

I love that image of Gallagher standing (sort of) next to McClaren.
    What’s the height differential there? 14 inches?
    But you can almost read what Gallagher is saying to him.
    “You know, from this vantage point, I gotta tell you Frazer – Can I call you Fraze? – your shorts need mending. It looks like you’re always excited to see me, and haven’t you ever heard of Dr Scholl’s foot powder?
    Wooowee! “

60. habs-hampton says:

Will the Blue and White ones come with an optional bag to put over their heads?

• TheDagger says:

I wouldn’t step foot on the bus if they wore uniforms that looks like the Leafs uniforms… they won’t know what to do when they hit some ice.

61. The Jackal says:

The TTC sucks so much. It is probably one of the worst public transport systems. I do my best to avoid taking the TTC.
    I bike everywhere, and I would rather walk than pay for the overpriced inconvenient system. Even in the winter…. I just bike slowly, with my lights and reflectors. Screw the TTC!

The only good thing about the TTC is that there is a Habs mural in College station, if I have to take the TTC, I stand there and there alone.

How do you miss a green light in Toronto? You don’t have to do much, just make sure there is a streetcar in front of you! What a joke of a system! It is the public transport equivalent of the Leafs. It may have had its good times, but it is just crap now.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I liked the street cars. Every city should have a tram.

• twilighthours says:

Jackal, how many other large cities have you lived in? Or even medium-sized ones?

I’ve lived in a few, and I think the TTC is actually pretty great by comparison.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The TTC is pretty well run but it is woeful in its coverage and many of the stations are old. Only 2 subway lines and minimal suburban rail for a city of Toronto’s size is preposterous. This is par for the course in Canada (Montreal and Vancouver are equally bad) but not for most of the world.

Canada actually has just about the worst public transit of any developed country. Worse even that the US. I am not sure why that is. Perhaps it has to do with the amount of tax revenue that goes to the fed and prov govts as opposed to municipal?

Given the benefits of public transit (for the environment and for our health), it is a no brainier that we should be investing in this.

• twilighthours says:

That’s pretty harsh, Fred.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It isn’t an insult – just a fact: Canadian cities have grown rapidly since the 1960s without any comparable growth in transit.

• twilighthours says:

No arguing, but if you live in Toronto (not Miss, Scarb, the communities outside Toronto proper), you’re looking at a pretty easy commute. The TTC takes a lot of heat, but it’s better than anything in the other cities I’ve lived in/spent lots of time in (Halifax, Ottawa, Edmonton, Raleigh).

It is true, my company is relocating its head office into the Mississauga area from Burlington, and the only way public transit can get you there is to turn a 30km trip into a 2 and a 1/2 hour bus relay system. The fact that no rail system can get you into Mississauga is beyond crazy.

• H.Upmann says:

Believe it or not, cities around the world send people to inquire about the streetcars. 220 tons that can run in winter, is decent on energy as its on hydro, and runs on smaller streets.

Btw I hope you wear a helmet when you bike. Tdot is not a bike friendly place

62. Corio says:

Wow, talk about being insecure! hahahahhaha

63. Say Ash says:

“Denver Cutthroats”?

Yeesh.

64. habstrinifan says:

In support of my observation yesterday re the extraordinary charge against the constable, here is an expert opinion. The snippet is taken from this link:

QUOTE:
    Selwyn Pieters, a Toronto lawyer with considerable experience representing the families of people shot by police, told CBC News that while a charge of second-degree murder does leave the judge and jury with a number of options, including opting for a less charge, he thinks the charge should have been manslaughter.

“It’s going to be a more difficult hurdle for the Crown to surmount if it’s second degree,” Pieters said. He described prosecuting this case as an “Herculean task.”
    .. end of quote.

65. sweetmad says:

I am pleased to see they have the Subban vid posted won’t have to change my sites to get a fix.
    GO HABS GO

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Schwartz’s.

I lived around the corner from there in the 90s. Ate there about once a month (take out after late evening at work usually).

In the past 10 years I’ve eaten there once (last year). I brought my wife who actually believed that The Main was better ( it isn’t).

Trust me Schwartz’s hasn’t changed.

Is it good? I guess. But when I’m in the mood to challenge my liver and pancreas with a caloric bomb I would rather eat a burger at any of a dozen places within a 5 km radius of Schwartz’s. It’s reputation is based on history I suppose. But just up the road is a Portuguese chicken joint that should be famous (Rotisserie Portugalia). (And I suppose it is – you need to pre-order in the morning to have a shot at one of their birds.)

Schwartz’s is what it is. Hasn’t changed, but our tastes have.

As for the fat – that is where the flavour is.

67. B says:

The Central Hockey League’s Denver Cutthroats? Really? The Cutthroats? That’s the best name they could come up with?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Cutthroat trout are native to western North America. The cutthroat species has evolved through geographic isolation into many subspecies, each native to a different major drainage basin. Native cutthroat species are found along the Pacific Northwest coast, in the Cascade Range, the Great Basin, and throughout the Rocky Mountains.

I hope this is what they’re going for, but I can see what you’re worried about.

68. Bripro says:

A union negotiator saying that he’s hear the complaints “loud-and-clear”. Uh oh!
    I foresee one of two scenarios.
    A general strike or he’ll ask the mayor at their next rave party to call in the army.

69. Mavid says:

Bunch of babies…wha wha wha

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

70. junyab says:

LMAO. Leaf fans so demoralized and insecure that they have to make this an issue.

Next they’re boycotting Red Wing’s Coca-Cola.

71. twilighthours says: