Toronto transit workers don’t want to wear Habs colours

Members of the Toronto Transit Commission are upset about proposed new uniforms for them.

The reason?

They believe they will look like Habs because of the red, white and blue striped caps and golf shirts and the transit commission confirmed it “will always support the Leafs.”

The National Post reported that while the TTC is still finalizing the design for its new uniforms, slated to come out next year, images of possible options have been circulated among staff.

“Everyone at my division that has seen them hates them,” one TTC operator, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Post. “As someone who was born in Toronto I take exception to the colours; too much like the Habs. … They pay [us] to wear a uniform so I’ll wear it, but not Montreal Canadiens-coloured golf shirts.”

Bob Kinnear, who leads the union representing Toronto transit workers, derided the red, white and blue design as “absolutely awful,” telling the Post he has heard “loud-and-clear” opposition from staff.

“Born-and-bred Torontonians, we’ve got to support our team,” Kinnear told the Post, noting he has spoken with TTC chief executive Andy Byford on the matter: “If you’re in Manchester, you don’t wear the colours of Liverpool.”

In other news, Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin announced on Tuesday that free-agent defenceman Joel Chouinard has been signed to a one-year, two-way American Hockey League/ECHL contract for the 2013-14 season.

The 23-year-old split the 2012-13 season between the AHL’s Lake Erie Monsters and the Central Hockey League’s Denver Cutthroats. In 42 games with the Cutthroats, he posted 6-14-20 totals with 28 penalty minutes. In 10 games with the Monsters, he was held pointless while picking up 11 penalty minutes.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Longueuil native was selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the sixth round (167th overall) at the 2008 NHL draft.

(Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

TTC operators reject ‘Montreal Canadiens-coloured golf shirts’, National Post

Habs jersey was ranked No. 1 by ESPN.com, Stuonsports blog

Video of P.K. Subban in training, Canadiens.com

Ducks lose former Hab Souray for up to six months, TSN.ca

Former Hab Mario Tremblay fighting DUI charge, montrealgazette.com

1. dsangdhw says:

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )
    (Discount Air jordan shoes) $36,
    (Air Max shoes) $35,
    (Nike shox shoes) $36,
    (Handbags) $39,
    (Sunglasses) $16,
    (wallet) $18,
    (Belt) $17,
    (T-shirts) $20,
    (Jeans) $37,
    (NFL/MLB/NBA)Jerseys $25,
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )

2. wjc says:

It’s funny how people can justify spending over 20 grand to experience a hockey thrill.

I point it out and they get all bent out shape and call me a troll. How is stating the obvious for either Toronto or Montreal fans trolling.

I believe most watch for free on the good ole Television. Free for now that is, but that will change to pay per view. Welcome to the world of corporate greed.

At least I will not have to listen to people complaining about the CBC productions and commentators.

Toronto is going to start rating games….ordinary games regular price…premier games more money. Special important games more money…..I kid you not.

They do it because the damand is unlimited and people will go along like little sheep.

Another thought, you can’t stand Don Cherry on Hockey night in Canada, but you listen to him on the radio…..too much……it is but to laugh.

wjc

3. Sportfan says:

How many times will Theodore face the Habs while backing up Rask? Remember Rask has played poorly against Montreal in the past too! If Theo plays I see Thomas Jagr scoring a lot :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. jackbutt says:

I got thinking, would I want to ride a bus when the driver as the mentality of a 10 years old? How about you?

5. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Two Toronto thoughts:
    1. Apparently, Leo Komarov signed a 1-year deal with his old KHL club, but would like to return to the NHL next season. Good fit? A friend for Alexei on the blue line who also likes to HIT opposing players…
    2. From what I have seen, the red/blue polo shirts look nothing like the Habs jersey. Hopefully, this is just some weird power play by the TTC; showing that they want more input into decisions, and not just some petty schoolyard BS. If the latter: shame on the TTC.

6. on2ndthought says:

Trisomy21: if you’re Nonis and had a buyout available for Phaneuf, would you take it? That is the premise behind my speculation. The truth is, if I were him, I would think hard about that offer, but would probably decline based on Kadri’s upside.

I wouldn’t think about a trade that doesn’t help both teams, but it would have to help us more.

“a cannonading drive”

7. savethepuck says:

Couldn’t believe what I heard on That’s Hockey last night. They were basically saying Nonis wants to give Kadri a bridge contract similar to what the Habs gave PK but Kadri’s camp wants more along the lines of John Tavares.
    Let’s compare:
    2009 draft Tavares 1st overall and Kadri 7th
    2009-10 Kadri played junior, Tavares played for the Isles 82 GP 20G 34A
    2010-11 Kadri 44GP in AHL and 29 NHL ( 3G 9A ). Taveres 79GP 29G 38A
    2011-12 Kadri 48 AHL 21 NHL 2G 5A, Taveres 81 GP 31G 50A
    2012-13 Kadri 48GP 18G 26A, Taveres 48G 28G 19A

I don’t see the comparison here. Why do players think they are entitled to a big pay day after 1 season. That’s what gets teams into big trouble, paying big contracts to players that have not shown production over a long period of time. I don’t have a problem with paying the big bucks to a player coming off his entry level contract that jumped right into the NHL his draft year and showed he can produce, but players coming off their entry level contract that spent time in Junior and then the majority of that contract in the AHL, should not expect the same treatment.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

8. Sportfan says:

Toronto wont give Kadri a bridge contract like the Habs did PK, because they don’t want to give contracts out the same way the Habs do.

They rather sign okay players to stupid amounts of money ruining their cap situation.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

9. The Jackal says:

Very interesting comments on Nygren.
    After reading that, it just kind of clicked in my head that making a move to improve the D now would not be the most prudent course of action. We have so many high level D prospects that are on the verge of being able to step in, that trading assets for a D-man does not make a lot of sense. Before doing anything of the sort, we need to evaluate or top D prospects, because if they are ready to go and can make an impact, then there is little point in acquiring another D-man in exchange for assets we can use for other pressing needs, such as size and scoring up front.

Assuming we don’t need to use assets to upgrade the D, we can easily use those assets to improve our forward squad. Gionta may be gone after the season, one of our top C’s may be on the move when Chucky is ready to play C, and Briere may or may not pan out, but at his age, he may not be playing at his best and thus may not be that effective for us when his contract is over. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to see which one of our defensive prospects is ready/close, and then if that eliminates the need to upgrade substantially on defense, we can then get a big scorer and/or a gritty forward to help us up front.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’m not sure if any of the prospects can push to be a top pairing. I thought Beaulieu had the best shot but he had an underwhelming rookie season with the Bulldogs and seems to be in need of an attitude adjustment. I see a logjam at the 2nd and third pairing though. Can anyone weigh in and tell me I’m wrong? I’d like to see a prospect who could be Subban’s D partner in the future.

• punkster says:

You’re wrong.

Can’t back it up with any facts but you asked someone to do it so I figured, hey what the heck.

(Seriously though The Jackal does have a point insomuch as…yes, we do seem to have lots of D prospects who “may” be able to cut the mustard some day…however, I think the pressing need would be for a top 4 D this year if it doesn’t cost us too many good prospects.)

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
        but…
        ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• savethepuck says:

After a slow start, he ended the year tied for the team lead in scoring. Not bad for a rookie D and the word underwhelming may not really be appropriate.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Mark C says:

He was also 19 for the first 15 or 20 games. As you noted he showed marked improvement while playing a key role on an offensively weak team. He even showed well in the NHL as a 20 year old. I’m not sure how anyone can be underwhelmed.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Maybe the slow start was magnified since there was no NHL at that time

• Habfan10912 says:

@tris The guy has top 4 skills. How they transfer to the NHL is another story. I think we’ll find out soon because I think he’s going to get a legit chance to help the Habs this season. Tinordi as well.

• Mark C says:

Not sure it’s wise to magnify the performance of a 19 year old in a new league just because there a lockout.

• Trisomy 21 says:

10912 – I don’t doubt that these prospects can help the team. They will help even if they are the 7th guy when they realize their potential. It’s the logjam at 1 and 2 I have a hard time buying into.

Mark C – I don’t mean to say it was, I’m saying it was likely the circumstance that made me think he didn’t perform well.

• habstrinifan says:

I would be excited if Tinordi and P.K became our D pairing sometime during the upcoming season.

10. frontenac1 says:

@shiram. Re/Phaneufs wife. You’ve got a point there amigo, over to you Timo.

11. Odie24 says:

Nice football analogy mofo, except if you’re in Manchester it’s about red and blue, not the red of Liverpool. Stick to hockey.

12. frontenac1 says:

Phaneuf is tough? Jeeze Louise!

13. frontenac1 says:

@strummer. That picture is great amigo! Hey,what’s with Harper and his invisible skidoos?

Does everyone remember that today is Mary’s gum surgery day? I marked it in my calendar long time ago.

15. frontenac1 says:

Huh? Trade Gorges and DD for Mrs.Phaneuf and that punk Kadri? I wasn’t going to hit the sauce until noon but …..

• shiram says:

Putting aside my dislike for Phaneuf, we have to admit he would slot into our D nicely, he could be that missing player for our PP, he’s big and tough, gritty physical, whathaveyou…
      Only annoying thing, his contract is almost over.
      Kadri over DD is a no-brainer, skillwise anyways.

“The game isn’t played on the weight scale and it’s not played in the gym, it’s played on the ice and it’s whoever wanted it more.” #81

• doc359 says:

So we are going to complain about how bad our D is at defense and then try to get a guy who everyone just skates around on there way to scoring goals?

• shiram says:

Well he would not be the #1 D here, he might even play on the second D line.
          Also most of the complaints I read about the Habs is centered around the lack of size and pushing people out of the crease, Phaneuf can do that.
          Markov paired with Subban on the first line.
          Tinordi/Gorges/Emelin paired with Phaneuf on the second.

• on2ndthought says:

you can thank me later (for the excuse to crack a cold one). I just remember how good Markov made Komi look, and Phaneuf has the same skill(?) set. Kadri is an improvment on DD, and MT will deal with any wankerism. There is an (apparent) wealth of D ready to step up by next year. I’m just saying TO is in an awkward position and that is the time to hit them. You make Nonis look good (get rid of Phaneuf and the whiny kid; get a very solid D and surpringly good center). Meanwhile we get the best piece, a maturing player with PAG potential, and a ‘rock’ on D with some PP pop for a year. If this actually happens, I’ll buy you a pint or single malt at Hurley’s!

“a cannonading drive”

16. Eddie says:

reading over at eotp about Magnus Nygren, and I am thinking that the Habs will give him a long look. they will try him on the power play as a 2nd wave shooter – he has a huge shot – and that might be an excellent fit. He could be given limited minutes and 2nd line power play time on the point.

we are missing a 4th d-man for the power play after Subban, Markov, and Diaz.

I would prefer to give Subban penalty kill minutes than play him 4 minutes on the power play, which many have suggested is our only option.

Look for Nygren to impress in camp. His shot can be a weapon.

• doc359 says:

He apparently can deal out the hits as well. If he shows some steady defense, he could definitely make a case for being on the NHL roster, but I imagine they will want to have him get used to the NA ice surfaces for a while in the AHL, and call him up for injuries.

He also has it working against him that they will be looking to fill in Emelin’s spot as a defense first guy to play next to Markov (unless Markov ends up next to Subban, then there is more flexibility).

A Subban- Markov, Diaz – Nygren 1-2 punch would be amazing on the power play though.

• rhino514 says:

Emelin was a PP guy in the KHL with offensive upside which I think we saw during a stretch last season where he was getting close to a point a game for a stretch.
        I would go Markov-Diaz, Subban-Emelin, or Markov-Emelin, Subban-Diaz on the PPs. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
        It´s a shame about the injury but Emelin improved quite a bit last season, he´s already good, but he is still adapting to the North American ice surface and lifestyle; he never gets talked about as an elite dman, but I think he can still become real, real good. Not Subban good, but good.

• krob1000 says:

Ideally you have a left with a tright if yo have good point shots…..Markov is the freak of the bunch though in that he is just as effective on his non one timer side on the pp. That is o course if the Hbas allow him the flexibility to drop down low as they have in years past…they did not do it as much alst year as they used to but still did it occasionally.

• on2ndthought says:

I agree. Signing AE without breaking the bank will be an issue for MB. He is not that high end, but is an important cog in our D, and should be for another 5 years.

“a cannonading drive”

• Habfan10912 says:

Interesting Eddie but that would be a huge jump for that young man. More likely that Beaulieu will be given every opportunity in camp to secure that job.
      If not I suppose the other option is to play with 4 forwards on the second unit.

17. Strummer says:

The editorial cartoon on this topic in today’s Toronto Star is hilarious

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

This isn’t the best visual Front!

19. habs-hampton says:

On ESPN’s love of the Habs uni, I’m quite surprised that the Hawks aren’t top 5, and should be definitley higher than the B’s. And they’re definitley the best uni in Chicago.

• on2ndthought says:

The ‘Original 6′ all have iconic unis, but the ‘Hawks certainly has the most impact. Two things may be working against them: the franchise has not been very successful until recently; and a certain amount of PC concern about teams like the Braves, Redskins, Seminoles etc… The natives I know (Mohawks from Kanawake and Kanehsetake) embrace the symbolism, but some groups in the States have concerns. It IS a beautiful sweater.

“a cannonading drive”

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree. The Hawks uni is second only to Montreal’s.

Good morning boys and girls!

Even Rob Ford has asked city counselors to wear Don Cherry suit’s and tie’s, in the Montreal Canadiens colors.
    Just like the draft! you can’t buy your way to the cup, you must draft and develop your own! Get off our coat tails Toronto!

I WILL BE TURNING 70.
    in 6 months!
    I still chase women, but only down hill!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

21. wjc says:

Question:

If the Canadiens won the Stanley cup this year, how much would it cost you to attend all games.

42 games plus 4 exhibition games:

46 x $100.00 (parking and concessions) = $ 4,600.00
    2 tickets @$150.00 each =$300.00 x 46 games = $13,800.00
    14 playoff games x $225.00 x 2 =450.00 $5,900.00

$24,300.00

Could you justifiy this kind of money.
    If you put it on plastic, then you have to consider another few thousand for interest. You could be paying off a balance when you are 90.

Now I know why people get crazy when they lose, but think of the money they save you when the lose or miss the playoffs. Someday it will all be on pay per view and satelite radio
    wjc

When will Don Cherry weigh in on the Kadri contract dispute in Toronto? Damien Cox with an article on the Leafs attempt at a bridge contract like MB and PK did last season.

• Habfan17 says:

Thanks for the link. It makes me scratch my head when players want to hit a home run of a contract before earning it. Then again, as a society, it seems most want everything “now”

I get the players want to cash in in case of a career ending injury, however that cuts both ways. There are way more players that were given big contracts too soon that did not live up to them, then ones that have! Theodore is Hab that comes to mind. He had one very good year, then became average. I love what Bergevin is doing. I would rather pay more for Subban next contract, after having the two seasons to see if he can keep it up, than the alternative of having given him a long term $5 million contract last season then see him level off or regress, and not be the team player he is becoming. I see him now as respective flash when it comes to attitude and personality!

Habfan17

• wjc says:

He will be signed by then……this is August remember, coaches corner is October sometime.

wjc

• on2ndthought says:

Would you trade DD and Gorges for Kadri and Phaneuf? Get’s TO out of their jam (no fun); saddles us with Pylon for a year (he might suit a pairing with Markov, then Frankie) and we sign Kadri with what is left on our cap. Next year, Phaneuf walks, we sign our RFAs and let the kids play. May not make a lot of sense, but it is August and it makes SOME sense.

“a cannonading drive”

• Timo says:

Because Carlyle loves players like DD…

• on2ndthought says:

whatever, he gets a second line center who makes big boys look good, and his GM gets out of a jam. I’m one of the (few, apparently) posters who doesn’t under-estimate DD (or Gorges, or Pleks, or Diaz, or PK – tho even last year there was more balance on PK)

“a cannonading drive”

• Trisomy 21 says:

A guy who was almost a point per game and the guy with the most minutes played for two overpaid, underperforming, soft depth guys who belong on the 3rd line (DD and) and at best 2nd pairing (Gorges). You may be one of the few who overestimate their worth. No GM thinks their worth that much.
            Ask yourself if you’d make that trade if you were Nonis