Today’s news roundup

Here’s a look at some of the Canadiens news.

Goaltending still the big question mark: NESN

Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan chats with Mario Tremblay

Desjardins trade by Habs makes sense, Mathias Brunet says in La Presse

Juniors’ Vincent compares Habs prospect Leblanc to Mike Richards

1. derfab says:

Your half-truth and my half-truth pretty much adds up. Hard to hit, but have you ever stood next to Semenko? Besides him and that lunatic McSorely, even guys like Messier and Tikannen were viciously protective. There was a league policy on Gretzky because he was chosen to promote the game. Period. Anyone else takes a slapshot from 15 feet out he gets his head rocked. Ask Brian Savage. Gretzky did it every night. But anyone who took a shot at Gretzky eventually paid with a broken bone.

character is derfab destiny.

2. showey47 says:

As bad as some people hate gainey here,he let saku to leave on his own terms. Bob could have easily said through the media that saku had no intention of staying and wanted to move on. IMHO bob took the negative hits from the fans and media about saku leaving when he clearly didn’t have too. Class act in my books.

3. showey47 says:

Lives in phoenix during the hockey season,bought up a crap load of land. Rents out condo’s to some of the yotes players. Comes home in june when his kids are out of school and sticks around here during the summer. As much as people has mocked his career(mr. october) i don’t kow how anyone can complain about a guy who was an 8th ruonder and went to school on a golf scholarship.

4. The Cat says:

Without Halak, the habs are gone in 5 games vs the capitals. Of course some say (usually crazed fans who see nothing wrong or Price fanatics trying to diminish Halak) that it was a great team effort, if allowing 50 or so shots rather than 70 or so shots is a great team effort, then yes it was a great team effort.

5. The Cat says:

My guess is hes getting married.

6. Chuck says:

The news? Jaro’s going to tell the Blues to either play him more or trade him.

7. Duracell3 says:

…or the far larger and well publicized reason, that he was told by Bob that they no longer required his services. Which while I hate it makes sense, why would you keep the face of the organization for the past decade if you want something new.

8. LA Loyalist says:

thanks to all you guys. I actually feel better about Koivu now.

thanks again.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

9. Chorske says:

I wouldn’t want to go to a bar that would admit me anyway.

10. LA Loyalist says:

cammy’s neck is thicker than my head. He is in very good shape, I saw him working out.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

11. 4loorplay says:

But thats 5ft 8 with skates on

12. 4loorplay says:

The news is gonna be that halak will be traded to mtl for carey price and PK subban……WHY YOU ASK…iT FALLS IN LINE WITH HOW GM THINKS

13. scrowe21 says:

gotta be the new mask

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

14. Chorske says:

Which reminds me, how is Brian these days? ;)

15. RGM says:

Yeah I think it would be after, so that’d confirm the 2014 date.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

16. RGM says:

Being the Bruins network, they probably only count Cammalleri as the other skilled player. At 5’9″ he makes the average 5’8″.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

17. RGM says:

Halak traded to the Blues, will be named captain, have his jersey retired, be given keys to the city, and will stick his tongue out in a mock salute to Carey Price.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

18. showey47 says:

Brian savage is still one of his best friends,brian is someone who plays summer hockey with us and someone i’ve known well since we were teenagers. He talked about it last june and from what brian said, saku just felt it was time to move on. I’m sure there were the underlying reasons like media and fan pressure but the bottome line was he just wanted to move on.

19. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha, great find Harani!

BIG Halak news? Only 4 things could be possible:

1) He’s going to be named the captain of the team.

2) Contact extension…? LOL

3) He’s retiring.

4) Non-hockey news..He’s getting married.

Haha, everyone take a wild guess!

20. punkster says:

The sword of Damocles.

FREE TIMO!

21. Harani says:

From Allan Walsh’s twitter: Stay tuned for some big Jaroslav Halak news coming tomorrow!

Because I’m bored, let’s speculate on what it could be. Since Jaro has already signed a contract, I don’t know what could be coming. New mask? LOL!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Knee jerk management? Please. They examined their position and chose to boost the team’s forward depth in the best possible trade they could make before the goalie market was so saturated that no goalie was worth much. Price was nearly dealt in a big Lecavalier deal at one point in 08-09 (Thank the Hockey Gods he wasn’t!), indicating he wasn’t invincible in the organization either. Bottom line, the organization made a deal and people need to wait until this deal actually proves to swing one way or another.

Price is an RFA with no arbitration rights, the organization owns his professional rights to play in the NHL and if Price wants to have an NHL career that doesn’t become mired in bad press, accusations of greed and flakiness going to back his early 20s, he’ll sign with MTL.

Cammalleri, Gorges, Gionta, Subban, Gill and the rest of the gang did a ton in the playoffs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Bill J says:

Oh here we go…

It was ALL Halak.

Not the team coming together eh ?

The Gill / Gorges duo blocking almost as many shots as Jaro was.

Cammalleri leading the LEAGUE in playoff scoring and not even being in the Cup Finals.

Nah – was all Jaro.

24. The Cat says:

Yeah I agree with you, its knee jerk management by peoples who got their asses saved by the guy they shipped to St.Louis. And the habs certainly arent in a position of strength when it comes to Price, I cant believe what Im reading here today unless today is ‘opposites day’ and no one told me.

25. andrewberkshire says:

How are the skill players an average of 5’8 when only Gionta is under 5’8?

26. GrimJim says:

There’s also the seven seasons rule. The CBA reads age 27 or seven seasons, but I don’t know if that’s UFA status for or after the 7th season

27. Captain a_HAB says:

The stalker thanks you :)

28. Nick_Habs1 says:

Halak will be at Saku Kiovu’s golf tournament to sign autographs next week. Now if that’s big news then Walsh needs to get a life.

29. JD_ says:

I’m generally on the same page with respect to Koivu. The only nuance I’d add is that I don’t think Gainey ever really considered keepin’ him.

Too much is made of his departure havin’ been some sort of act of disrespect by Bob Gainey. Frankly, any Hab with beloved status who is traded or not re-signed, be it a top- or bottom-sixer, is often automatically presumed to have been dissed.

Gainey was committed to a material rebuild followin’ the 2008-09 season. Keepin’ an agin’ captain would be an emotional decision that would hamstring the effort to completely remold the culture in the dressin’ room. Moreover, there was no room for half-measures.

The choice was never goin’ to be Saku’s. Gainey was just goin’ to be polite as hell about the decision to move on. Meantime, I have absolutely zero doubt there is a tremendous amount of mutual respect between the two men, guys who played the game with exactly the same level of commitment and who always carried themselves with quiet dignity.

Koivu is no slouch and understood it all. He would probably have done the same thing were he in Gainey’s shoes and probably told Bob as much.

And, frankly, I’m quite happy for the guy. I suspect the unfetterin’ from the pressure cooker that is Montreal has been a godsend. I think he’s also more than well aware of what this city thinks of him and will be reminded of this in spades when he visits the Bell Centre.

There might be an eyelash or speck of dust in my eye when that goes down.

30. JD_ says:

Not much of a choice given that pendin’ Bell Centre lawsuit hangin’ over my head.

31. BJT says:

I dunno.

1- I think the Habs will do fine if Price has .915 + save percentage and lower than 3 GAA.

2- More or less a given. I think as long as we can maintain a vague semblance of 2 scoring lines and 2 competent pairs of D-fence, injuries shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

3- I dunno about 75 points, that’s a lot. I think if Eller, Pouliot and AK combine for around 60 goals (I.E. Eller 12, Pouliot 21, AK 24) and Subban can get 45 points that would be enough to elevate our offence, and we should be sitting pretty. I also think that top 10 in both PK and PP would be really nice.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

I think that was habsrule1, you stalker.

33. Storm Man says:

The breakdown would be 2 pre-season games ( it is 4 right now) and a 18 game season. Still playing 20 games but 2 would now count for something.

34. deuce6 says:

Says Plex’ numbers will falter slightly, but he will have 2 wingers that will score 30 and 25 goals each..I think that that is being a little counter productive and a flaw in this analysis…

35. newbrunswick troy says:

Well it looks like the team is all in place:::  In my opinion the habs look as good as any other team in the east …  no great super star but good depth in skill dept. Now that said how far they go i am sure will depend on just 3 simple things:::    1)  as NESN said Price having a true ( top 10 goalie year ) .920 save% or better

2) All the skill players need to stay heathy (may be hard to do at an avg 5ft-8

3) We need an  ( X ) factor like Ben Pouliot breaking out and getting 75 + pnts

those are my thoughts , tell me if i,m in left field or not????

36. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Koivu and the organization parted ways because it was time to change the team and Koivu was not confident he could see the team through it’s rebuild and development of a new generation of prospects. Koivu, while he is an embodiment of the kind of attitude that got the team through the 2010 playoffs, had played here for close to 15 years, expending his prime years lifting a team that couldn’t cut it. I would guess Koivu and Gainey talked off the record, they tended to have a similar approach to the game in terms of attitude and work ethic and I suspect they got along well enough. Gainey asked Koivu how he felt about taking another swing with the rebuild and Koivu said while he probably can play for 1, 2 years as he is now, he didn’t think he could for 3-5 with certainty as the team was reloaded and Gainey decided he needed to go younger, more durable with his future lineup. Just a guess, but that could have been what happened. Koivu at 34 had injuries piled up, possibly the most demanding tenure as a Habs captain in team history, expectation to bring a club to victory that had little hope of doing so while dealing with a hostile press and at times, a very disruptive locker room. He might have told Gainey he did not feel he could continue in his role as he had in years past for longer than a couple of years and guarantee it.

It’s only my guess, but I think the situation was something like that.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. Bill J says:

Brad, RE: us not knowing what the plan is ?

Quite honestly, teams that keep their plans secret tend to have more success at getting their plans put into place.

Do you think Burke is doing a great job in Toronto for example ?  Telling the world what his plan is ?

As a fan – Hell YEAH I would love to know the plan, but IF fans knew the plan.

It would mean OTHER GM’s would also know the plan, and would we not have to pay more to achieve the plan ?

If the plan is to trade Price for example, would it not be better to keep that quiet.  Allow other teams to make their offers, likely better value then the Habs would receive if say PG announced “Price is available for a trade”

As far as signing players, classy players do not say anything about negotiations.  Classy Management also follow that rule-of-thumb.

Disgruntled or classless players, speak publicly about things.

No matter WHAT the talent level of the player, or the GM… I prefer the classy side of things.

It is a fans right to “judge” Habs Management, however.  I think it is unfair to judge them, when we as fans have NOT seen failures from their decisions.

These same people DID after all find a way to build a ECF team.  I think they deserve our patience to see how this next season plays out…

;)

38. LA Loyalist says:

that’s very funny. In fact, I think it’s an opportunity – there are film critics, ballet critics, art critics…  go for it!

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

39. SeriousFan09 says:

So would a 90-game NHL season but I doubt the PA is up for that in the NHL either. Players sooner or later have to choose how much of the year they want to spend playing the game and I wouldn’t blame the NFL players to keep it as it is now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. LA Loyalist says:

thank you for an interesting argument. two follow ups, if I may:

1. Why was Koivu not coming back this year anyway? Was he worn out from being on a crap team and not seeing any progress or commitment to winning?

Or was the message sent that he wasn’t wanted? I sincerely don’t know, I’m not trying to be a smart ass.

2. Your point is excellent that we paid draft picks for moore,tanguay,schneider and lang and then dumped them. Lang was our freakin’ leading scorer when he got hurt. How is that his fault? God knows we could have used Schneider last year when Markov went down, even a bit past his “best before” date he is a smart player and would have been far better than one dimensional MAB. With respect to Moore you and I are on the same page there. We could have kept him and prospects. You and I would have found a way.

I wonder if that is what makes me feel like Habs management is always just knee-jerk reacting and not following a plan (and yeah 300 posters here will happily tell me there is a wonderful plan but it’s a secret and only Carey Price has a copy).

I made the point the other day when Owen Nolan’s name came up. If we all knew what this wonderful plan was it would be clear to everyone whether or not player X, Nolan, for example, might be a fit. The amount of debate any possible name mentioned on this site generates proves to me that the structural model for this team isn’t clear at all.

Maybe because we are just the poor slobs that pay the bills we’re not entitled. thank you for playing. Pls answer about Koivu. I don’t understand that.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

41. RGM says:

Longer season would translate into bigger contracts, wouldn’t it?

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

42. RGM says:

UFA eligibility hits at age 27. Price will turn 27 on 8/16/2014, so I’m a little fuzzy as to whether he would have to wait until 7/1/2015 to have UFA status or whether he’d get it on 7/1/2014. Fortunately the 7 years in the NHL benchmark comes into play, as he’d have wrapped up his 7th NHL season after 2013-14 ended. So, July 1, 2014. Hopefully it will not be a dark day…

—————————————–