Today’s news roundup

Here’s a look at some of the Canadiens news.

Goaltending still the big question mark: NESN

Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan chats with Mario Tremblay

Desjardins trade by Habs makes sense, Mathias Brunet says in La Presse

Juniors’ Vincent compares Habs prospect Leblanc to Mike Richards

1. Storm Man says:

ESPN just emiled me. HIO Unlimited league is now full. That is 2 HIO league’s with 20 teams in each that are ready for the season now. I want to thank all that joined and look forward to the live draft’s.

2. _Habsoloutly_ says:

just got the last spot.

3. showey47 says:

All because you don’t know what the plan is for the team,it doesn’t mean we don’t have one. Sure,trading halak was tough but it was eithr him or pleky walks and there was zero guarantee he wanted to be here and would have signed for the same money. My personal opinion on the trade was that we should at least swapped 1st rounders with them moving us up from 27th to 14th or something. Before this past summers draft central scouting had eller the 2nd best prospect not playing in the nhl next to eberle, at that point subban was 3rd i believe. I think thats pretty good company. There is also no guarantee halak will have a strong season with a 60 plus workload either. Especially since a real weakness of halak’s game was exposed in the flyers series. If you look back in history,the failures outweigh the successes. In other words,there are more theodores,huets and thomas’ then there are ryan millers.

Every team has question marks, look at the goaltending situations for just about any of them. Every team has questions in every position it just never gets talked about here because this is a habs site and is mainly about the habs not about other teams. I don’t think there a “ton” of unknowns. There are obviously some like ak,pouliot,if markov is going to miss any time and if he is how much and of course the goaltending situtation. Honestly i’m more concerned ak,pouliot and markov then about goaltending. Despite how his haters say he sucks,his personal stats like save percentage still ranks him in some good company. His win/loss record is more of a reflection of how little we scored goals for him not of his personal play.

Koivu was not coming back this year regardless, and for the first time since probably the first couple of years in his career. He is playing the role he should have been playing all along,as second line center. I do miss moore though and feel not bringing him back was a mistake. I don’t like the way we traded away high picks for guys like moore,tanguay,schneider and lang only to get one year or less of service. This is probably my biggest beef with habs management.  But at the same time we are far from the only team that does this. Sure we have let quite a few ufa’s walkaway for nothing like kovy,komi and koivu but its not like we’ve been in a selling position at the trade deadline like the islanders,florida and the leafs are virtually every season. Its easy to stack up draft picks when you never make the playoffs and are dealing away players every year. I agree there is some questions this year,but i don’t think its not the over dramatic doom and gloom that is perceived here on a daily basis.

4. Bugs says:

Again, I say: ridiculous.

“Oh, no, coach, don’t put me on the ice against Gretzky, Semenko is there and I’m scared. I know I’m being paid to a job in the NHL but nobody ever mentioned Semenko would be there and now, I’m too scared to hit Gretzky because Semenko might come get me. Please don’t put me out there, coach, please.”

Yeah, right.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

5. punkster says:

I’m of the “catch me if you can” mindset when it comes to court ordered injunctions. The fake beard and moustache ploy usually works well in crowds. You’re backing me up, of course?

FREE TIMO!

6. GrimJim says:

I’m pretty sure he has four more seasons (including 2010=11) before reaching UFA status

7. Storm Man says:

The point is Tony. The hockey Finals will not be on the sameday as the Superbowl.

8. Captain a_HAB says:

Hi y’all

Sorry, this is off topic, but I am looking for the member here that had the avatar picture of a tattoo that says “I bleed bleu, blanc, et, rouge”. Does anyone here know who that is, are they still a member, or where I can find that pic?

Thanks a bunch.

9. observer says:

The point is – firstly it is in 2014 and both leagues would be past the labor problems that each league will have in the next 2 years – the point is olympic hockey got great tv ratings in the usa for the olympics but if there is the competition of the super bowl for part of the time including super bowl day – those ratings will surely plummet. btw – the 2014 super bowl is being held at the meadowlands – the first time ever it will be held in nyc metro area the capital of the us media.

10. LA Loyalist says:

certainly Gretzy was unique as a talent. BUT he always had bodyguards (Semenko, Sorley) and was a bit hypocritical in decrying rougn play in a game where he had his own personal thugs.

that’s all.

I also still bitterly resent his announcing his “retirement” the day after Habs beat the Kings for the cup in 93 and pushing habs off the front pager of the paper. What a sore loser. He could have waited a week.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

11. LA Loyalist says:

“we have very competent management that are dealing from a position of strength”

huh? with all respect due to an obviously dedicated fan and good poster, I am stunned at that statement.

At best, and I’m trying to be fair, we have a team that is a work in progress with an unclear plan (if any) we have a new manager who let two excellent assets, especially Halak go for unknown assets that may or may not work out.

The supposed tent-pole of our team on whom we are pretty much betting the farm (that would be rodeo boy) is unsigned, which I agree in August is not a big deal but we have no plan “B” if a horse steps on his foot (i know horses, even if he is doing low risk events and is competent it happens) – or if he chokes again. Alex Auld? Please.

At most I can say that we HOPE all these moves work out, but there are no knowns here. Will Price grow up and fulfill his potential (which I don’t argue with). Will Eller be what we hope? Will Pouliot be what we hope? Will either of them be willing to go to the net on a consistent basis and take a beating to score?

Will Markov come back quickly and fully recovered?

There are a TON of unknown factors at work here, which is normal in sports and I can live with it. Good management tries to minimize the variables. But to state that these are all known facts that Price will be great, Eller and Pouliot will be great, everything will be sunshine, lollipops and poutine I think is crazy.

If we still had Saku instead of Nomez, Halak instead of Price, Moore instead of… my point is not to bag on any individual (well, it often is but not right now), but to evaluate what is known based on past performance and what is unknown.

We have a lot of unknown ahead of us, guys, that’s all. In 20 games we’ll have a better idea certainly, but I wouldn’t be planning the parade just yet.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

12. Bugs says:

Ridiculous. So what if Semenko was about?

Is it your implication that players were “afraid” to hit Gretzky for fear of running into Semenko or McSorley or whatever?

Coaches would tap these guys on the shoulder and say “aim for Gretzky” and these guys would reply “Nooo, I don’t wanna go out there; Semenko is there and I’m scaa-aared. But please, by all means, keep paying me my money.”? Something like that? Really?

Because I highly doubt it.

Gretzky was spaghetti; you couldn’t hit him. If he didn’t see you comin in the reflection of the glass and avoid altogether, he’d roll with the blow when checked. Semenko had nothing to do with that.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

13. Dennis says:

Maybe Jacques Martin likes a team that fights – like this – http://dennis-kane.com/

14. skoalbandit says:

what year is price eligible for urestricted free agency?

15. Storm Man says:

If the players strike( I dont think it will happen) it will be for the 2012 season and no way it goes 2 years.

16. derfab says:

I think so. Most decent prospects go pro after 2 years like that.

character is derfab destiny.

17. JD_ says:

PK, you still good to go what with the restrainin’ order ‘n’ all?

18. derfab says:

Granted, good point about avoiding injury. Though I think a certain Semenko-ness helped as well. Few people dared to hit Wayne. And don’t tell me they weren’t able.

As to their skating, I saw both guys play close up. As a Bantamn, (Gretzky in a Kitchener tournament)and at the ’78 World’s in Montreal; Kariya on a trip to Boston where he blew by everyone the whole game.

Gretzky was uncanny because he was invisible until the puck was on its way in; perhaps the most clever player to ever play. But he was only a very good, rather unorthodox and hunched over, but not great skater who wore his back out on his own, whereas Kariya, more like Messier or Anderson or Coffey or Orr, or… was much more fluid and explosive, until concussed.

The league was very nasty in the 80′s.

character is derfab destiny.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s if the NFL players go along with this of course, they might just strike over this attempt to extend their season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. Storm Man says:

It is not going to be that big a deal. The olympics are in Russia in 2014 so most networks will show the events by tape delay. The NFL is king of the hill that night and it is 3.5 hours. I like the moxy the NFL is showing the IOC :).

21. habstrinifan says:

Plekanec’s projection I think is wrong. If Gomez, Cam, Gionta stay healthy, then I think the addition of Eller and Boyd will allow for a much better top six including Pleks who will be the benefir the most and will have a great season. His ‘checking’ burdens will not be as great and he will have more points.

Gomez I am afraid he probably has predicted correctly.

I agree with what he says about Auld. I think Auld will like Mtl and Mtl will like Auld.

Hope White is on the team.

22. RGM says:

Slow news day update – a friend of mine out in BC tells me that Carey Price was in 3rd place at this week’s BCRA Team Roping event in Smithers. That may not be the final placing but it’s where he was when she left.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

23. newbrunswick troy says:

Great point about being top 10 in both depts……that will be a key!!!

24. punkster says:

Not to mention the fact that any establishment that would admit the likes of Punkster, JD, Berkie and Chorske is under dire threat of having their license revoked.

Just sayin’.

FREE TIMO!

25. Storm Man says:

It is a snake live draft. H2H scoring. The draft order will be detemined by the ESPN computer 1 hour before the draft starts.

26. Psycho29 says:

Moosonee…

The team has to be out of the Leafs area :-)

27. likehoy says:

what’s the league type? keeper? rotisserie?

i’m only kidding with the comments but with all the bashing BG and PG gets and the loving that burke and holand get…it would be fitting if someone would bash the fantasy GMs as well.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

28. likehoy says:

most of this was very objective and fair…but the only thing that is a little stretched is gorges becoming captain…with so many good candidates, i can’t see how anyone can be confident on the selection.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

29. Storm Man says:

You should join if you want to comment on how other’s run their team. If you don’t join you won’t have any fun in beating Mike G :). If you want to follow it the league name is HIO Unlimited.

30. likehoy says:

i don’t want to join the league, but can you post the links periodically so i can comment on how the others aren’t running their team properly??

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

31. showey47 says:

When a buddy of mine troy mallette was playing for the bruins a couple of us went down to see him for a couple of days. We took in a game in boston when gretzky was a ranger. You have no idea what his on ice vision is like till you see him live. Not only could he make a pass without looking at you its almost  like he could anticipate where you are going to be and put the puck in that empty space of ice before you got there. I was also wowed by the amazing hands on this young guy named kovalev.

32. K-hab25 says:

I agree Ericson, Gretzky was called the “Great One” for a reason. He was the best player to play the game in my lifetime. I mean seriously over 200 points in one season. People hate him for the same reasons that they hate Crosby, the whining, the finesse play, the golden boy image, ohh and the whole they’re the best player in the game thing.

33. observer says:

Posted almost 2 full hours before (below) on this blog.

34. Clay4bc says:

You will be able to find it here…

You need to register, but you can get all of the games you want.

Search Canadiens Bruins on the “torrent” page….

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

– George Orwell –

35. Storm Man says:

Only 4 spots left in the ESPN HIO Unlimited. I see alot of talk on here how some of you would run a team, so show us what you got in a 20 team league as you draft your own players. The first league filled up in 24 hours… I did another one for people that missed out on the first league. Enjoy your Sunday. :)

36. JD_ says:

Ian’s just workin’ with locations that are a very easy on-foot jaunt to and from the Bell Centre and are willin’ to offer special consideration to the group despite the number of people involved. This is meaningful to the extent both places are always jampacked on any given game night.

From what I saw last year, lots of people not only do their own thing, but also make a longer weekend of the whole affair. There are plenty of opportunities to hit Montreal’s awesome restaurants outside of the events which are, in the end, mostly about the camaraderie rather than the food.

You’d have an absolute blast.

37. habinypsi says:

I have been reading the 30 in 30 on NHL.com and apparently every team is going to make the playoffs.  Its going to be one interesting post season.

38. Bugs says:

Paul Kariya was a force when he came into the League, no doubt about it.

But he was no Gretzky. Wasn’t “like him” at all. Not on the best day of his life. If he WAS, he wouldn’t've been hacked, pounded or concussed, would he?

Folks often forget to consider the Avoiding Injury Skill when evaluating talent. A skill at which Gretzky was a master.

That’s also WHY he surpasses Orr and Lemieux in the Holy Greatness department.

No, Kariya wasn’t “Gretzky-like” at all, sorry to say.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

SUMMIT GAME TICKETS ARE IN THE MAIL–POST ON THE SUMMIT PAGE THAT YOU RECEIVED THEM

I have mailed
    out all the Summit game tickets to you.

Don,t lose them or misplace
    them or forget them like some people did last year.

Your seat tickets are not in your name, so if you lose them, trouble!!

Let me know on the Summit page when you get them please.

USA Summit goers, allow 10 to 12 days or so to receive them.

—————————————————————————————————————————–

We would like to offer you the following rates : $109 CAD per room
    per night, plus taxes, single or double occupancy.

Book your room at this # and tell them you are with Habs Inside Out Group or HIO to get the deal rate everyone.

The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

———————————————————————————————————————–

EVERYONE WELCOME____JUST LET ME KNOW ON THE SUMMIT PAGE SO I CAN ADVISE THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

FRIDAY
    Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

SAT. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

SAT.
    at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour. The “Rockets”
    granddaughter Cathrine Richard is putting on the tour for us this year.

SAT.
    at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St.

Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on Kovalev and the Ottawa Senator’s

After
    game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. And like every year our Gazette leaders will be there to celibrate with us.

A password will be given to you at the pregame meal to by pass any
    line up and entry to our HIO celebration room.

SUNDAY farewell breakfast to be announced.

See you all in Montreal,!! And don’t forget to list your events on the Summit page that you are attending.

Ian

Just another chess game Harani, not to worry, we have very competent management that are dealing from a position of strength.

Paul,

Where do you live? why not join us at some of our events, meet some new friends from this great HIO site.

Check out the Itinerary on the Summit page and come meet your HIO community.

42. adam76 says:

Just like they did with Theodore, the announcement will come at the golf tourney.

Price is the franchise, for better or worse.

43. nightmare_49 says:

Nice reads:  Eric Duhatschek

Nurturing hockey’s roots  ……  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nurturing-hockeys-roots/article1688598/

James Mirtle …..

Canadian hockey suffering from stunted growth …..  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canadian-hockey-suffering-from-stunted-growth/article1686927/

44. Harani says:

For some reason, today, I’m officially freaking out about Pricey not being signed yet!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

45. HabFanSince72 says:

I know it’s none of my business, but you summit people are coming all the way to Montreal for the weekend and you’re going to Baton Rouge and Hurley’s?

46. showey47 says:

Koivu never said gainey didn’t want him back. I received first hand info from one of his best friends and someone i have known for close to 25 years. How about you post a link,audio or video file that backs up your joke of a statement. Oh yeah,you can’t. Must be a sad,sad life having nothing better to do then trolling all day.

47. DavidKB says:

No argument. Will he be back this year?

It’s time for Bob to retire. I switched to RDS on more than one occasion last year because of frustration from listening to him, and my French is really bad.

So no one realy knows anything until the club announces it.

Just like any business, you hold your cards close and you feed false information or at least different information to retain the strength in negotiations and transactions.

The media and the public just continue to surmise, guess, and  predict using there imagination to fathom all sorts of speculation pertaining to the business of our Mtl. hockey franchise.

I have learned a long time ago that nobody outside the top brass, knows anything for sure and that as long as we have great owners and they in turn hire great management, this franchise will continue to put a better product on the ice every year.

For far two many years in Mtl. we had very poor owners with the wrong philosophy about this business, and in turn hired inferior people to manage and coach this hockey club.

For the last few years things have drastically changed and this franchise is once again becoming an elite franchise in the NHL.

We are not yet at the top of the mountain, but are we ever an exciting team again, and becoming stronger with every chess move. We are going to be treated to a very exciting season this year again. So just sit back and watch each piece fall into place as our fantastic managerial team grows our next Stanley Cup, which is not that far away now.

49. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Northern Ontario???

50. Habs fan in SF says:

“I think he is more likely to get bored and frustrated with the level of play”

so one year in the USHL and one year at Harvard makes this kid above and beyond the QMJHL? umm, people, lets stop hyping this kid even more. lets let the kid play a year in the Q and see what he does…

51. derfab says:

Kariya was amazing (Gretzky-like with better wheels) when he first came into the league but was hacked, pounded and concussed by expansion bums and the parity movement. Koivu and a number of other talented players also got beat up and diminished in a similar fashion.

character is derfab destiny.

52. nightmare_49 says:

New Jersey Will Have To Clear Salary If Kovalchuk Is Indeed A Devil

from Mark Everson of the NY Post,

It is believed Lamoriello already has some moves ready to make should the Kovalchuk contract be accepted. Sources said important defenseman Bryce Salvador ($2.9 million) was on the market, and that Dallas might be a possible destination. Dainius Zubrus is another with a significant cap hit ($3.4 million) who may be outbound, both Salvador and Zubrus are vulnerable because they lack no-trade clauses.

Patrik Elias (no-movement), Colin White, Jamie Langenbrunner, Jason Arnott, Brian Rolston, Martin Brodeur, Johan Hedberg and Anton Volchenkov all have no-trade deals, though each could agree to a trade.

53. nightmare_49 says:

How Steve Simmons sees it.

– The Ice Edge group has a news conference set for Monday in Thunder Bay. Here’s hoping they announce they are buying the Phoenix Coyotes and moving them to Northern Ontario

– Can’t you just feel that Maple Leafs excitement building: Matt Lashoff on Friday. Clarke MacArthur on Saturday. What’s next? Wayne Primeau resigning?

– Wonder if the NHL throws the Mark Bell suspension punishment at Nikolai Khabibulin on top of the time he will be doing for drunk driving. Maybe the Oilers did know something when they went out and signed the redoubtable Martin Gerber.

-  If the Ilya Kovalchuk saga is, in fact, coming to a conclusion, it means the New Jersey Devils are $3 million US over the salary cap and have just more than a month to get their financial business in shape. Also over the cap: Vancouver, Boston and Calgary

– Once he takes over the NHL Players’ Association, we must change the spelling of his name: From now on it’s Donald Fear. And NHL owners be warned. There is reason for fear

– Paul Kariya is one of the least appreciated, efficient, effective, players in hockey history and the fact he will miss the season, and we don’t know his future, because of post-concussion symptoms is nothing short of troubling. A quick Kariya stat: He is the only current NHL veteran — with more than eight years in the league — to be scoring at a point-a-game clip

Read more from Simmon’s sports article:  http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2010/08/28/15175126.html

54. derfab says:

I don’t buy this Mike Richards stuff. I hope Louis is able to keep his enthusiasm playing with teens at a level he has already surpassed, but I think he is more likely to get bored and frustrated with the level of play and will want to be in Hamilton (or Montreal!) with the big boys after the Worlds.

character is derfab destiny.

55. derfab says:

Cool. Doesn’t he have 2 brothers that play, one a goaler? Are they any good?

character is derfab destiny.

56. Bill J says:

Louis Leblanc notched an assist in his first QMJHL Pre-season game.

Slow news day, took a while to dig this one up lol

57. Puck Bard says:

It’s real? I thought it was a joke!

58. Puck Bard says:

One step closer to the Duff-Duff fantasy.

59. smiler2729 says:

Had a playoff game Thursday at Westwood arena in Etobicoke, we won. That’s not the cool part, some fella named PK Subban rented the ice after us to workout with his younger brother… I’m his warmup act.

60. bus driver says:

I know this isnt what the site is about but im looking for a copy of the Canadians 100 annivesary game agianst Boston, my cd went missing and need to replace it, if you have a copy or know of someone that has one willing to pay a fee for it

Thanks

61. RGM says:

Mike Comrie and the Oilers have cut ties! Let’s sign him immediately! Hilary Du…, er, Comrie sightings at the Bell Centre!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

62. nunacanadien says:

Geeze supposedly we have Lord Gainey, who spoke to the Finnish ambassador of hockey, Count Koivu, complete in tuxedoes and corsets, jovially jaunting along merrily, like proper English gentlemen they are.  AS IF!!!!  In the same light, I guess Price with his acting out immature behaviour towards fans, I guess has the right to be disgruntled, being the proper and prime Englishman he is, and us Neathendral fans who support Halak, heck, we don’t deserve to watch hockey!

63. KSS says:

Random question, but does anybody know if this Habs toaster is available anywhere in Montréal or just available online?

64. nunacanadien says:

That’s a pile of baloney!!!  We all know Gainey blamed Koivu for Price’s 4 up and 4 down.  But really, all Gainey had to do to rebuild the Habs was to let Price go.

65. ooder says:

you know what.

sure he has no idea who has the puck.

sure he cheers for the leafs.

sure he has no clue wahts going on.

but man Bob Cole’s voice is legendary!!!

——————

88 is the new 23

66. nunacanadien says:

And standing on the bench don’t forget!  Heck, Lars Eller is gonna score so much, it won’t matter if Carey lets in 10 goals a night, cause Lars boasted at his signing to Gauther, “we don’t need Halak” and Gauthier believed him….having forgot the former l’artiste and of course the other big ego signing by Gainey, who on signing Samsonov boasted his offensive output will reduce pressure on our defense, remember that?

67. nunacanadien says:

Let’s get the story straight once again, Price fans used to work for the old Soviet Union’s Communist paper which could make sh*t smell like a rose….heck bet all the Price fans also have a W in their middle name and are also known as George.  Twitter that, why don’t you twitter about Price’s excellent winning record?  When he was 10 years old of course, and when Carey gets let out of daycare, he will win us the Cup, or so Price apologist would say.  I don’t know, blocking 70 shots is still an impressive record.  What’s that compared to Price’s 50 shots where he let in 2 of them and lost 2-1?  What kind of impressive record is that?

68. nunacanadien says:

Let’s get our story straight here, this is like Gainey not returning Kovalev’s call.  Koivu made it clear, it was Gainey who did not want Koivu.  Gainey in the offseason blamed the whole team for not making his thoroughbred horse look good, so he let them all go, at least the ones who questioned using Price against the Bruins come playoff time.

69. nunacanadien says:

What about the bottom 10 in playoffs? Price probably has one of the worst records for a former allstar, former Bulldogs champion, former whatever (insert his great stats against Halak for all the good they will do) and probably one of the worst prospects to not transform into the next Dryden.  Although if he does that this year, it would be one of the most impressive recoveries, or wait, what will Price recover from?  Being a top 5 goalie like Halak?  Nope.  From a winning season and a winning NHL record?  Nope, Price still has to show he has it.

70. nunacanadien says:

I hope this doesn’t mean we have 7 more years of Habs hockey where we watch Carey Price’s butterfly style that constantly lets in floaters and cost us close games.  Oh wait, the games are close because teams know they can beat Price anytime.

71. nunacanadien says:

Nope, it’s Price signed a contract with the Blues, as it seems Price has this competition thing going with Halak.  Price still wants to show us he can earn more wins than Halak….unfortunately for Price, those wins did not manifest themselve in any playoff experience Price has had so far.

72. Aerobiz says:

Could anyone suggest to me what the best online hockey pool to join would be. Thanks.

<br>

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

73. sholi2000.com says:

I have been using yahoo for six seasons now.  It’s very basic and free.  CBS offers the best keepers league.  Just asking what the best is, is very hard to determine without knowing what kind of league you are looking for.

They Call Me Shane

74. nightmare_49 says:

via James Mirtle twitter … Leafs have signed winger Clarke MacArthur to a one-year, $1.1-million deal. Here was how he became a free agent: http://bit.ly/9TJaSd

75. namgel says:

With Kadri that puts the Leafs over the Cap….

Capped out on Crap….

Ha !

76. LA Loyalist says:

Well i read the NESN article and am sitting here waiting for the Price fan club to start complaining about it.

But the numbers are the numbers, and Price needs to start playing iike a #5 pick, or we are screwed.

And we don’t have Markov till November at best, so everybody is going to have to come out hard or we will be so far back we’ll be asking for binoculars for Christmas.

I’m quite happy to be proven wrong by the way.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

77. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s NESN, which employs Jack*** Edwards, the worst homer broadcast alive and Mike Milbury. What they care to write about the Habs, I couldn’t care less. if they weren’t going to pick on goaltending, they’d find something else to say why we might suck for their readers.

Markov is favouring a return in October and he has generally hit or beat his return times to play for MTL in the past, he’s a quick healer with an excellent dedication to conditioning.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

78. joeybarrie says:

I am waiting for the Halak fan club to jump all over this too. Waiting for them to officially declare that if we kept Halak then the league would have simply GIVEN us the Cuo for next season…

I have one thing to say about the NESN article. Its written by a Bruins fan. That says it all.

But if Price starts to play like a number 5 pick, then we will be doing pretty damn well. I wont disagree with that. But I will say that looking at the stats like it is done in the article then its like looking at life through blinders.

Pleks plays well, then has a bad season and still we yell to sign him for 6 million a year. OF COURSE ONLY WHEN HE IS LEADING THE TEAM IN POINTS…

Price comes out and has a great first season ends up tied for 6th overall is SV% then goes down like Pleks, YET PRICE IS USELESS AND WILL RUIN THIS TEAM… Ends up 20th overall is SV% letting in 4 more goals than Halak in the season and MAN, IS THERE EVER A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO… Price let in ONE GOAL MORE for every 3 games on average between the two.  Price is the bottom and Halak the top???

Mind boggling the nonsense going on around here. Especially considering Price played in 25 games that we didn’t have our number 1 defender (AND BEST PLAYER) and Halak played in only 12. I look at it this way. 13 MORE games without your number 1 player and the difference is FOUR goals…

Don’t get me wrong. Halak played GREAT. I love him for it, and wish we could have kept him. But we didn’t… I just think its stupid to say Price has been so bad when the difference is 4 goals AND an average of 1 goal every 3 games… Maybe im the only one who watched the games, but out team sucked early in the year without Markov and with all the new players. Thats when Price played most of his games…

Im just sick of all of the bashing based on nonsense against our players. I don’t even understand why we do it. I love the Bleu Blanc Rouge… ALL OF THEM.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

79. The Cat says:

Its a sketchy article, it said ‘Habs shouldnt have problems scoring goals’.

80. RGM says:

Why would any Habs fan care what the official network of the Boston Bruins thinks of the Habs’ fortunes for the coming year?

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

81. ManApart says:

Like it or not excuse man, The article was stating the truth. Montreal’s goaltending is a huge question mark going into this season, no question. Price has been average at the very best the past few seasons, and during his playoff career. Having Auld as your back up plan makes matters even more scary. The writer stated Price hasn’t at all looked like a #5 pick, franchise player he was projected to be and he must hit his stride this season or the Habs are in deep trouble. Seems like a pretty reasonable statement to me. It took a super performance last year by Halak to even squeek into the playoffs. Price has to at least approach that effort this year to give the Habs a chance. The habs have not gained any toughness or size at all from last season and that definately isn’t a good thing. Another reasonable statement. They have some skill and speed but also some question marks that make another 8th place finish a very reasonable prediction.

I know everything that doesn’t speak glowingly about the Habs is hogwash journalism to you, but it still is a good analysis to the rest of us rational fans and has some pretty good points.

82. Chuck says:

Frankly, I’d worry more about team scoring, especially 5-on-5. If they can hang out in about the middle of the pack instead of at the bottom of the league, they won’t need superhuman efforts from the goalies night in and night out to win games.

83. joeybarrie says:

I agree with worrying about scoring.

Let’s say Price has the EXACT SAME SV% as last year and the TEAM does alot better what would happen??? Well if our team was the Chicago Blackhawks the we would have won a Stanley Cup…

Anti Niemi 26 wins 7 loses  .912 SV%  HAD 936 SHOTS AGAINST

Carey Price  13 wins 20 loses  .912 SV% HAD 1244 SHOTS AGAINST.

Niemi played in only 2 more games than Price…

MY FAVORITE was people around here saying we should sign Niemi and not Price…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

84. SeriousFan09 says:

Media predictions about the Habs placing where in the final rankings are generally inaccurate and have had bias for years, I don’t care what they write because they’ve been getting it wrong for so long I find it irrelevant. The off-season gets very old fast with the same stories and we’re all aware that the goaltending situation isn’t as deep as it was a year ago. In other news, water is wet. No one gets to keep goaltending depth in this league, not with the cap and in a year or two, The Kings are going to have to say good-bye to Bernier or Quick whenever one of those two comes out definitively on top. The real laugher of the off-season has been a constant, unending lovefest for the less-scrutinized rookie GM in NHL history in Steve Yzerman. He walks on water, heals the sick and the Lightning are now a contender team because he picked up oft-injured Simon Gagne and Dan Ellis, who’s goalie stats aren’t even that good when he played behind one of the best defensive teams in the NHL in NSH. They’re set to finish ahead of us even though their D and goaltending is questionable at best and Lecavalier’s injuries have made him a worse player with each passing season now.

Habs gained Lars Eller (6’2″) and Dustin Boyd (6′) over Dominic Moore (6′) and Glen Metropolit (5’10″). Size, speed and talent upgrades over two journeyman 30 or over. I know Moore is a sacred cow for a few but his only year with actual offensive numbers was when he played Top-6 in Toronto, Eller’s upside is far above Moore’s. Eller is praised for battling for his ice and Boyd is no less ‘tough’ than prized “truculent forward” Colby Armstrong in Toronto. Ryan White or Max Pacioretty added to the lineup would add more toughness as well and Moen, Lapierre proved to be no slouches in the playoffs. The bottom six can run against many teams checking units and is certainly an upgrade over where it was a year ago. P.K. Subban is quite probably and you can quote me on this much tougher than Marc-Andre Bergeron. White/Pacioretty, Boyd, Eller and Subban all add toughness, skill and size to the lineup compared to last season.

Stable bottom 6 units reduce ice time for the top lines, leaving them better rested for regular shifts and allow the team to efficiently roll 4 lines. Subban’s addition to the defence allows a better balance of the defence and easier times transitioning the puck and controlling action in Montreal’s own end. Eller’s versatility could have him do PP time and play in the Top 6 as injuries strike, which is an improvement over Pyatt or Moen doing it. A more balanced group of skaters means more success rather than having to throw Cammy, Gomez and Gionta together and have them play half of the 3rd period in all the games we’re having trouble keeping up.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Niemi also had the best defence in the Western Conference covering him and those were his stats is what makes it a laugher.

If Niemi’s goals support in 09-10 was 2.12 GPG (I did the math) than the Blackhawks might have been in the race for Taylor Hall.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

86. The Cat says:

An odd post on your part IMO…Moore was huge and very clutch, and to call either of the 2 new guys a talent upgrade is a bit much…Also calling TB’s goaltending questionable at best? Ellis wasnt that bad: a winning record, 909 sv %…A more solid tandem. Its much less questionable than the habs. Come on.

87. SeriousFan09 says:

Moore had nice moments, but at some point you have to make way for the new kids and Eller is a very talented prospect who will be cheaper for years and offers a very good skill set that can be much more useful to the Habs than retaining Moore to be 3rd-line centre.

Nashville has one of the most sound defensive units in the NHL headed up by two star players in Weber and Suter, plus they had Hamhuis and Barry Trotz is a well-respected defensive coach. When you have a highly defensive team and a strong defence, it is easier for goalies to post better numbers and lots of shutouts, hence the SO totals of losing teams like MIN and CLB in years past under Lemaire and Hitchcock’s tenures.

Dan Ellis posted a 2.69 GAA and a .909 save %, Price had a 2.77 GAA and .912 GAA under a defence that for many of his games last season, was missing Andrei Markov. Ellis had the better D but his numbers weren’t exactly convincing as #1 material on a defence-first team with a couple of well-known stars on the back end. Mike Smith? He has Injury issues including concussion problems and his career stats hardly knock your socks off. He’s no more solid than Alex Auld is right now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

88. The Cat says:

Im not saying theyre the cats ass but ‘questionable at best’ is just wrong.

89. SeriousFan09 says:

My argument is, if Ellis has those numbers behind one of the best defensive systems in the NHL, how will he fare in TB? A team that is weak on defence past Ohlund and Hedman? Smith has to overcome his injury issues as well.

I call it questionable, one goalie wasn’t that strong playing in a strong defensive system and the other one has got health issues.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

90. Jbird says:

Appreciate your analysis.   Its quite good.

91. BJT says:

“Montreal’s goaltending is a huge question mark going into this season, no question.”

Question mark, No question?! Make up your mind! Tornapart indeed!

Besides, “The article was stating the truth”, what a stupid thing to say! It is what the writer (diehard Bruins fan, BTW) percieved to be truth. It is what you percieve to be truth. You say that anything that “doesn’t speak glowingly” about the Habs is “hogwash” to us, whereas you, on the other hand percieve everything that DOES speak glowingly about the habs to be “hogwash”. Has it occured to you that you are a depressing, annoying pessimist? Has it occured to you that nobody likes those sorts of people? But of course, I can’t be right, can I, because I am a Habs fan, and I cheer FOR my team, not against them.

PS: a .912 save percentage at the age of 22 is NOT a weakness. (For reference as to what the word “weakness” means, see: Manaparts ability to apply logic to his thinking.)

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

92. The Cat says:

He will fare just fine. Nashville plays a lot tougher teams than the habs or the lightning.

93. OneTimer says:

Uhuh. I’m just a lowly lurker but in my opinion SF09 is the best poster on HIO.

94. SeriousFan09 says:

Well hey that’s one vote, now I know how a Green Party candidate feels.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

95. LA Loyalist says:

Your posts are usually pretty fair and insightful.

My only quibbles are that you are giving too much weight to Eller, who is an utter unknown and I would never have traded Halak for him.

I sure hope he works out, though. Boyd I don’t know about, but at least he’s not a Smurf. And if Puliot settles in we’ll be in better shape, for sure. I would have found a way to keep Moore. We do not have enough depth for a long year. I totally agree with you on need to roll 4 lines, or everyone is gassed come April. It was a lack of depth that killed us against the Phlyers, I think. We looked gassed (understandably).

My main concerns in what will absolutely be a tight conference are 1. staying close until Markov is back 2. Price coming through at last. If price chokes on the chicken bone again everything else we’ve done is academic.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

96. BJT says:

make it 2.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

97. B says:

Eller in his upcoming rookie season is already more expensive ($1.271M) than Moore will be in the upcoming season ($1.2M). Is he, and will he be, really “cheaper for years” than Moore?

Nashville (with “one of the most sound defensive units in the NHL headed up by two star players…“) allowed more GA/G than Montreal last season, in two of the last 3 seasons and had virtually the same GA/G over the last 3 seasons. Both Price and Ellis were rookies in this league 3 seasons ago (07/08). They have the same career save% but Ellis has a slightly lower GAA.

Here are some GAA (and save% in brackets) numbers. Note in the total line the GA/G for Montreal and Nashville are an average of those 3 seasons while the total numbers for Price and Ellis are career regular season NHL games (all stats from nhl.com).

09/10 – Mtl 2.66 Nash 2.70 Price 2.56 (.920%) Ellis 2.34 (.924%)
    08/09 – Mtl 2.93 Nash 2.78 Price 2.83 (.905%) Ellis 2.93 (.900%)
    07/08 – Mtl 2.63 Nash 2.73 Price 2.77 (.912%) Ellis 2.69 (.909%)
    =======================================================
    Total — Mtl 2.74 Nash 2.736 Price 2.73 (.912%) Ellis 2.64 (.912%)

If
    Ellis had the better D” one would think that Nashville might have had a much stronger GA/G than Montreal over that period, but they did not. I am not trying to offend or pick on you here, I just became uncertain and curious reading your post so I decided to compare and share some stats here.

98. BJT says:

“If “Ellis had the better D” one would think that Nashville might have had a much stronger GA/G than Montreal over that period”

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t that only be the case if Price/Ellis were equal skill goaltenders? I believe that SF was saying that the Only reason Ellis’ numbers (and thusly the team’s as well) are on par with Price’s is BECAUSE Nashville’s D is better. (But their goalie isn’t: Thusly the numbers are similar)

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Neither of you will be forgotten when I stage my coup and take over Habs I/O ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

100. B says:

Your theory of overall team GA/G stats reflecting individual goalie quality for Price and Ellis would carry more weight if they played all of the games for their teams, but that is not the case.
    In each of the last 3 seasons, Ellis played less games for Nashville than another goalie (Mason in 07/08 and Rinne the last 2 seasons). Perhaps you also consider Rinne to be a questionable goalie who only benefits from Nashville’s superior D?

Of all the stats, the best one I know of to use for comparing two individual goalies is their save%. In the case of Price and Ellis they are even at .912. Ellis does have a bit better GAA but I would consider GAA more of a team stat than save%. The stats still tell me that Price and Ellis have stopped the same percentage of shots over the last 3 seasons on two teams with virtually the same average GA/G over the last 3 seasons.
    If better goaltending on Montreal is responsible for their similar GA/G to over the last 3 seasons to a supposedly superior overall D in Nashville, then that better goaltending may lie outside of Price vs Ellis.

Perhaps your (or SF’s?) stated argument of “better” simply comes down to a subjective opinion which I respect but do not necessarily share?

101. saskhabfan says:

Like or not crying man at least 2/3′s of the teams will have goaltending questions this year. Including Halak who never started a season with the #1 role and never played more then half a season,so that alone raises questions. Halak’s super play got them into the playoffs? Guess you missed the last week of the season. Better still that horrible effort by halak against the flyers. But i guess that was the teams fault for not scoring 5 goals a game that was required to win right? Funny how these same people who credit halak for single handedly stealing games 6 and 7 vs the caps forget about games 2 and 3. How many other teams #1 goalies were sat for a game and pulled 3 other times during last years playoffs? None. Price had a .912 save% last season,luongo had a .913,ward .915,brodeur .916,niemi .912,renne .911. Guess their careers are pretty much over,right? The team making the playoffs was a small miracle considering they were 6th in the league with man games lost to injury. But let me guess your one of those dumbies who think you can lose guys like markov and cammy for extended periods of time and replace them with ahl talent without missing a beat,right?

Please don’t call yourself a rational fan. You know you have to be right once a year to call to have any kind of credibility. Didn’t you say the habs would miss the playoffs,be out in the first round,be out in the second round,price would be traded,pleky would walk. Do i need to go on and on? So how does this group of “rational fans” you talk about know their a$$ from their elbow when being wrong is the only they they do best. Whining bitches like yourself,retromikey,clay,observer and his 25 usernames and adam do not represent a “rational fan”. They are more a group who would rather see the team fail for their personal amusement then see the team succeed. But thanks for coming out. Someday you might actually get someting right.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

102. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Aside from maybe Miller and Ward, I think every team in the league has a question mark in goal.

103. K-hab25 says:

You are 100% right B. That’s why I’ve been saying Halak won’t start as many games as Price. Ty Conklin and Halak are pretty much equal goaltenders and the stats back up that opinion. Halak in his 97 starts has a 2.62 GAA with a .919 sv% 9 SO and a 56-34-7 record. Conklin in his 91 starts (last 3 years) has a 2.51 GAA with a .917 sv% 12 SO and a 53-29-9 record. So it would seem that Conklin, a good journeyman back-up and Halak, the saviour, are pretty much, well, the same.

104. B says:

After a slow start to his NHL career, Conklin has played great the last 3 seasons. I sure wish he was the back up in Montreal rather than Auld. I think there is an argument for St. Louis having the best goalie tandem in the league right now (and for just over $5M). Conklin has indeed stopped almost the same percent of the shots he has faced over the last 3 seasons as Halak (.917% vs .920%). That is a great stat. I agree that Price has a good chance of starting more games than Halak next season as I would certainly be more comfortable starting Conklin than Auld.

I don’t believe Halak and Conklin are the same. Over their NHL careers, Conklin has a respectable .911 save% while Halak has a stronger .919 save%. Conklin has been in the league longer and did not play as well earlier in his career. Halak has played strong every year and is coming of a great regular season and an even better playoff run. Conklin has not had the chance to show yet how he might do in the playoffs, he has only faced 12 NHL post season shots in his career. I do not expect Halak and Conklin to have the same number of starts next season.

09/10 – Conklin 21gs 10w 764 SA 704 Sv .921%
    08/09 – Conklin 37gs 25w 1033 SA 939 Sv .909%
    07/08 – Conklin 30gs 18w 1013 SA 935 Sv .923%
    Total ———- 88gs 53w 2810 SA 2578 Sv .917%

09/10 – Halak 43gs 26w 1386 SA 1281 Sv .924%
    08/09 – Halak 33gs 14w 1077 SA 985 Sv .915%
    07/08 – Halak 4gs 2w 151 SA 141 Sv .934%
    Total ——– 80gs 42w 2614 SA 2407 Sv .920%

105. OneTimer says:

Hah. Worst part is I actually vote Green.

106. K-hab25 says:

I agree Halak and Conklin aren’t equal, but neither are Ellis and Price. I made my post to show you how ignorant I thought it was to basically say Ellis is Price’s equal, based on there career SV%. I did that by showing you the saviour had the same #’s in his career, as Conklin, a journey back-up, has had in his last 91 games, roughly Halaks career total in games played. Basically exactly the same W-L record, SV%, GAA and SO’s. They both have been back-up’s the majority of those 90+ games. They both had stretches where they carried the load due to injury or the real #1′s play being off. The only real difference is age, Conklin is alot older, kinda like Ellis is alot older than Price. No sane person tries to claim Conklin is Halak’s equal, nor should any sane person, without a grudge, say Ellis is Price’s equal. I hope you understand now what my original post’s meaning was.

107. B says:

I had a good idea from your choice of adjectives where you were coming from (and trying to go to). It is not surprising that when one mentions Price here then someone else will come along and try to drag Halak into it (and vice versa).

Price is younger and many have faith his potential may yet make him one of the top goalies in the NHL, but so far, I really don’t think he has done better than Ellis over
    the last three seasons (which constitutes both of their NHL careers to date). The stats seem to support that too. I really do hope that Price can become the top goalie that
    we have all been expecting, that would be great for the Habs. So far, Price has done well, as has Ellis in my opinion. Neither has been elite or Vezina worthy yet, but both have played well over their first three NHL seasons.

My main point in this thread was that I don’t believe Nashville has had a much stronger D over the last three seasons than Montreal and I don’t see where the stats back up that theory either. The secondary observation was that Ellis has stopped the same percent of shots he has faced over his first 3 seasons as Price has (.912%). That stat remains true.

As far as Conklin vs Halak, the save% numbers do show Halak to be a bit better
    over the last three seasons and more so over their NHL careers. It is worth noting
    that Conklin has played very well the last three seasons, I don’t believe he has got
    enough credit for his strong play over that period. I would be happier if
    Montreal had Conklin or Ellis as backup instead of Auld. Montreal had two very
    good goalies last season, but the goalie pair is not as strong for the next season. I
    see that unfortunately as a negative for the Habs.

108. Duracell3 says:

Yeah, they scored 0 goals in 3 games, I’m sure Halak could have saved those.

109. Chuck says:

Marion Tremblay?

110. namgel says:

Yup he was on a line with Yvonne Lambert ….  ?? No ?

111. Xtrahabsfan says:

joeybarrie….there is NO MORE HALAK PERIOD!It’s all on Carey Price now and Auld will not save the day for him!If I was Price I wouldn’t sign cause  if this year starts out bad he’s done! This is too much pressure for the lad……

112. BJT says:

I think the issue will be completely resolved if you put on a shirt.

:P

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

113. RGM says:

That’s why Carey Price is Carey Price the starting goaltender of the Montreal Canadiens, and you’re a shirtless guy on the Internet.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

114. Xtrahabsfan says:

That’s why what?huh?He’s #1 because of gambling, period. And when guy’s like you we’re all about HUET ,I WAS CALLING FOR PRICE….the problem is he is an average goalie but WAY better than you!Nothing would make me happier than Carey becoming a star but as in your case there’s NO BACK-UP Tender to save the season,which make me twitch…And ya I go shirtless at the beach,but nice retort attempt you pucker,lol

115. ZepFan2 says:

And ya I go shirtless at the beach…

The vomit level must be extremely high at the beach you’re at.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

116. HabFarmer says:

Well. maybe I’m biased, but I always thought that the Habs could use a bit more of the old WHL grit, and with White, Schultz, and Boyd, I think we’re getting there…….. .

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

117. VancouverHabsFan says:

Couldn’t agree with you more…

118. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually the Habs decline can be traced back to the selection of Doug Wickenheiser with the number one pick in 1980. They trade for the pick specifically to get Denis Savard but someone convinced the GM that they needed some WHL grit.

119. HFX-HabFan says:

See SF09′s post below as to why our offense will be far better than last year’s.  We should finish in the middle of the pack for goals this year.

120. The Cat says:

My faith in SF has been rattled by his talk about TB’s ‘questionable at best goaltending.’

121. habrez says:

Mike Smith for Vezina

122. Chuck says:

More photos of Halak’s new pads can be seen at http://www.whocares.com.

123. sholi2000.com says:

On a another Note

Shane bought a 2010 Silverado today!

Freakin Nice!!!!!

They Call Me Shane

124. The Cat says:

Congrats man!

Cool looking Sarge drives his new Silver across the parade square.

Our Canadian military looken sharp.!

Good for you Shane.

126. Habsforlife 1959 says:

The latest from Eklund rumor is Canadiens seriously considering a trade offer for Price. Ha!! Ha!!

127. likehoy says:

maybe we’ll get a first liner and then sign jose theodore to be our starting goalie!

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

128. Storm Man says:

Who is Eklund’s outstanding source on this rumor ? Adam76.

129. SeriousFan09 says:

My magic 8 ball says outlook is doubtful.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

130. pmaraw says:

well, considering how random gauthier has been, I would say anything is possible…  but how can we expect to get anything better than eller and shultz for price?  I really don’t see how thats possible unless theres ridiculous trade value in ‘potential’?

131. habstrinifan says:

Read the article on Mario Tremblay back in Mtl. He sounds happy and at peace. Good for him. One of the great HABS. Made his mistakes coaching etc… but bled for the habs when he played. Then I watched on Youtube the 79 overtime period goal. What a play by Savard on Middleton and then great play by Tremblay.

And to see Robinson and Savard and all those greats on both teams but especially on the habs.

Nice story re-told by Mario re Henri Richard taking him to school for not knowing that Claude Provost had worn the number 14 with distinction before Tremblay did. Imagine the affect on a rookie joining the team and learning about being a Canadien from Henri Richard.

One of the best days of my life.. provided courtesy of Mario Tremblay’s feed to Yvon Lambert.

Enjoy being a grandpa Mario in the city that loves you. Let’s see you in the audience at Bell Centre many times this season. And if you get a chance go into the locker room and remind our lads what team they play for.

Cami reminds me of you lots Mario. Pround and honoured to be a habs.

132. Led says:

I remember that line, loved Tremblay and Lambert. Remind me again who formed the second line. I was young then and so focused on Lafleur, Shutt and Dryden that I missed a lot of other details.

133. ProHabs says:

Ya Tremblay , the guy who couldn’t check his ego at the door, forced an unexperienced and useless GM to trade our star goalie for 3 spare parts and set this francise back 10 years. Lets welcome him back to Montreal and boo Bob Gainey, who turned the ship back around, out of Montreal.

134. HabFab says:

“Ah Les Canadiens of those days. Would we ever have a ’3rd’ line of Tremblay Houle Lambert again. Wow!”

Sorry bro, but Risebrough was the center on that line not Houle.

135. SeriousFan09 says:

They could’ve also grabbed Coffey or Murphy with that pick, ouch.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

136. habstrinifan says:

They have reunions of all types. Maybe in order to win our 25th Stanley Cup we need to have a reunion of ‘accursed’ draft picks… and perform some sort of exorcism. Wickenheiser and Brent Bilodeau among them. And of course the suckling Fisher(?).

Mr Carey Price will be there.. one way or another. As an ‘honoured inducteee’ or as the ‘Promise One’ come to lead us out of our darkness.

Actually not a bad theme for the 2010-2011 season. We have no more jerseys to raise to the rafters. Have a monthly exorcism ceremony at ‘left of centre’ ice. While the fans stand and hold their noses, the Molson ‘player of the month’ gingerly burns one of the infamous jereys and puts the ashes in a Leaf’s souvenir Urn to be stored in the dumper out back until the Cup comes home.

137. LA Loyalist says:

that is hilarious.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

138. SeriousFan09 says:

Good idea, but for extra cleansing of the Bell Centre, print the names and numbers on the backs of spare barber pole jerseys.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

139. HabFarmer says:

That’s a whole lot of bad legacy to put on the guy, don’t you think?  And besides, Wicks was an extremely highly rated junior who just didn’t pan out.  Like that’s never happened before.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, and Doug may not have been the right move for the Canadiens in retrospect as a first overall pick, but none of the guys I mentioned come with any of that baggage.  I’m just saying, they’re good players and they come with a bit of intensity, is all.

140. LA Loyalist says:

thanks for the lovely post.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

141. HabFab says:

Depends on year. Could have been Cournoyer, Lemaire, Wilson, Houle, Mahovlich.

142. K-hab25 says:

There usually is more value in “potential”, than there is in an “over achiever.” The guy with “potential”, is expected to improve, the “over achiever”, is someone who has played better than he was expected to. You don’t know if the “potential” will be reached, but you don’t know if the “over achiever” will continue to play above expectations, or will his play fall off to where it was expected to be in the first place. IMO, the reason people say Price is more sought after, than “the other guy”, is because of that “potential”. Like it or not, agree or don’t, Price has fairly equal #’s over his career, is 2 years younger and doesn’t have the “one hit wonder” stigma, “the other guy” could have with some GM’s. If it were me, I’d take the talent and “potential”, over the hardworking “over achiever.” Hardwork can only get you so far, Kostopulous anybody. :-)

143. K-hab25 says:

I thought we were trading Price so we could sign Mr. Cup, Anti Niemi.

144. habstrinifan says:

Thank you for reminding me of Riseborough. I didnt mention him because he didnt seem to be on the ice during the overtime in that game. I havent checked but maybe he was
    injured.

The main point of the recollection though was the amazing quality of players available as ‘secondary’ players on that team and their pride in being a hab. We owe them all a lot.

Minor request. I am real old and thus real old school. Hate being called ‘bro’ just because my skin colour as indicated by my avatar is black. Confers on me a cultural cool hegemony as perceived by the person offering the salutation….unmerited in my case and of ambiguous merit in most cases.

I know you meant it meritoriously.

145. HabFab says:

Dude or whatever, no offense meant and wasn’t aware of any colour. Cluing into the “trini” part of your handle and hadn’t noticed the skin colour of your avatar until you mentioned it. As for age, no spring chicken myself.

146. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

If you want to talk about egos, none were bigger than that of the ‘star goalie’, one of the most selfish primadonnas I’ve ever seen, it makes me sick to see his jersey up with the Greats of the Candiens.

147. Psycho29 says:

C’mon….just because he demanded a trade on national TV, was a wife beater and told his son to beat up a goalie who didn’t want to fight???  :-)

I was a big fan of Patrick Roy, but once he left here…I lost a lot of respect for him.

Makes me sick thst people want him coaching the Habs someday…