Today’s lines at practice

The Yannick Weber experiment seems to be on hold.

Practice included a bag skate.

The lines:

AK46 – Tomas Plekanec – Brian Gionta

Travis Moen – Scott Gomez _ Mike Cammalleri

Tom Pyatt – Jeff Halpern – Maxim Lapierre

Benoit Pouliot – Lars Eller – Mathieu Darche

The extra players today are Weber and Dustin Boyd.

• Jacques Martin grumpy during his press briefing. No one suggested he try Sneezy, Dopey, Sleepy, Bashful and Happy on the power play.

• Check out which write-in candidate leads the balloting for All-Star goaltender

• Arpon Basu Tweets: This is first time this season Plekanec has gone 3 games without a point. He was the only player on the team not to have done it yet

Ovie MIA

1. HabFarmer says:

That’s assuming that Wilson can actually tell Kadri how to play hockey in the NHL – you know, like he actually knows.

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

2. Mark C says:

Gomez gets at least the season to try and turn it around, for these reasons: 1) there are no good in house replacement, little DD isn’t much of an option, 2) what can Montreal what with the cap savings within a season? Not much, 3) odds are Gomez will turn it around at some point.

3. Fred D says:

Gomez skates for figures.

4. Patient No More says:

Good point, however, given there is no sign of improvement over the first 25% of the season, at what point would you suggest taking action is reasonable and viable ?  Supporters of the Habs are showing signs of developing the Toronto “wait until next year” approach to calling for improvements.  It has not worked for Toronto either.  When we tolerate mediocrity we get mediocre teams, and it has been a long time since anyone scheduled a parade down St. Catherines St.

5. Tyg says:

You shake your head in disgust. I roll my eyes. And Jacques plays the Hokey Pokey and turns us all around.

I like your line combos. It stands to reason since they are the exact same ones I just posted on your site before I found you over here stealing my thunder! Kidding. But there’s no way Halpern can be worse than Gomez on the 2nd line. I’d be willing to risk it too.

Not sure why Benny – the team’s 5th best scorer – can’t get out of Fidoville. 4th line now? I’d rather see him traded than left there to rot. Gomez on the other hand…

Jacques has gutted the 1st and 3rd lines. They were both producing consistently. Now they’re not. Coincidence? No. Will he put them back then? Probably not. *insert profanity of choice here*

http://tygerbythetail.blogspot.com/ or http://aa.habsaddict.com/

6. Storm Man says:

So ex habs are the best at figure skating?

7. 123456 says:

europe is an option for gomer as well. the habs are running a business so everyone is fair game

8. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Patrice would have won, but once he got close to the corner, he skated away from Shae-Lynn.

9. Komihater says:

Best lines ive seen so far, good job. Finally someone else thinks to try eller with gomez.

10. coachdoug says:

I don’t disagree with your thought about winning…however DD is not near ready, if he ever will be…we need to think big…we already got our quota of small forwards!

This Gomez trade will haunt the Habs for years to come…even if he really finds a groove at his age all we can expect is average to above average…

You can’t tie up that much cap in a guy toward the end of his career…that 7 mill would buy a good 3.5 mill center and a 3.5 mill dman…Eastern Conference fire sale will start soon for some teams but we got very little money to buy…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

11. JD_ says:

The Loafs are awesome.

They’d be even more awesome if their perpetual goon show was just bad enough to keep ’em from taintin’ the overall quality of the post-season offerin’ with their inevitably overhyped first-round presence-cum-four-game-meltdown while, at the same time, good enough to keep the Broonz from further stackin’ the cupboard with cans of goodness.

Time to toss Wilson on the trash heap and bring in Goldilocks.

12. SmartDog says:

TOTALLY LOL

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

13. db says:

The only way Gomez gets sent down this year is if we get another 1st line center to replace him… where’s that gonna come from?  DD isn’t ready yet and that’s just not fair to him..

Now, next off season I think it’s very possible that the Habs sign Brad Richards and keep Gomer in the minors.. or send him to a team that has a hard time getting to the cap floor.  (for example..)  This year, we’re stuck with him.

14. SmartDog says:

Radical. I love it!

——-

15. VintageFan says:

Habs made enough cash with the unexpected playoff run to either move Gomez or do a Redden.  And there’s a dynamic small center in Hamilton to replace him.  Somebody needs to concentrate on winning rather than “organizational correctness”.

16. VintageFan says:

It would appear that the converted bingo machine that Carbo used for line-making has fallen into the hands of Coach Jacko & Co. It isn’t a given that they have the collective smarts to update it so don’t be surprised if Higgins or Latendresse appear on the line up card.

Sigh.  La plus ca change…………..

17. Bugs says:

I don’t know if we took our foot off the gas last night as much as Philly put their foot ON it. Those two penalties in the 2nd gave’em all the shots, momentum switched, Philly started to sense it and pounced. Had Lappy completed his hat-trick insteada ringin it off the post, I dunno, mighta been a different game maybe.

Got no problem with Eller playing frustrated lately. He’s been better. Non-productive, but slightly more dangerous. Until he’s sent down, non-productive slight danger is better than non-productive NO danger, I guess.

Flyers each thought someone other than themselves was supposed to take care of Soobie. Giroux was just the one left holding the bag.

Who, who? Who you talkin about? Todd?

I don’t get all the crap slung at Wilson; I think he’s doing a grrrreat job. Honest. Let the guy coach his guys the way he (as well as the goofs tellin’m what to do) sees fit, I say! I LIKE the leafs I’m lookin at; ain’t gonna bash the coach, man.

And are you sure about Burke sucking? TSN says he’s one of, if not the, best in the League. Who to believe? And again: I LIKE the leafs I’m lookin at. I think Burke is ALSO doin a fiiine job, a fiiiiiiiine job, I say.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

18. ctony says:

I like it.  What are the PP units?

19. Mark C says:

JM is giving Gomez the least amount of ice time in his career since 2003-04. The season is 21 games old, there is no way sending Gomez to the AHL is reasonable and viable option yet.

20. Kamal Panesar says:

Well said and I agree 100% with Halpern on the second line.  The guy is averaging just over 13 mins a game and is fourth in team scoring.

Nuff said.

Kamal writes on HabsAddict.com and Hockeybuzz.com. Follow Kamal on Facebook & Twitter.

21. coachdoug says:

As much as I am not a fan of Gomez…JM has almost no options with L’Albatross…

We can’t trade him because of his ridiculous contract…JM has to find a way to get at least average production from Gomez…

I really hope Gomez can get going because we are stuck like Chuck with Gomer…Putting him on waivers would cost the Habs a fortune and signal a huge defeat to the front office…not going to happen any time soon

On that note #13 has got to get going as well…will that happen with his current pivot??? It’s a vicious cycle…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

22. dh says:

Swap AK and Gionta and make the Gionta line the second line and the PHD line the 3rd.  This way we’re back to our two most productive lines of the year.  Maybe Gionta can fire up Eller.  And Laps deserves a shot – at least as much as Pyatt IMO.

23. JD_ says:

* Meh. Go up 2-nil against a proud, albeit in a kinda putrid way, team like the Flyers and then take your foot off the pedal after an intermission when you absolutely know Laviolette is personally rippin’ everyone a new one – it’s hard to miss that deranged, wild man look Pete gets when he’s upset – and you’re pretty much assured you’re goin’ to be outshot 517-2 in the 2nd. Were it not for prevailin’ Habs’ MVP Carey Price – is he really gonna make a HON save every outin’? – the team would have been creamed corn.

* Much has already been said about the vets last night – …argh…shootin’ pains in my left arm, tightenin’ of the chest…I’m agreein’ with Michel Bergeron…ack…argh… – so no point in belabourin’ it, but on a positive note, I like Lars Eller’s mojo. Yeah, in 27 NHL games he’s got three points and is a -1. The thing with kids, though, is tryin’ to peer into their heads and ponder what could be. The raw-skilled, albeit skinny kid has a bit o’ nastiness lurkin’ beneath the surface that will serve him quite well down the road. You saw it poke its head out when that chubby, overpaid little weasel with the squeaky voice took another of his patented faceoff circle cheapshots. And, no, I don’t really care why Gruyere did it, he just did it, kinda like our very own Tomas Jagr has his reasons for pullin’ the same crap. Eller grabs Danny’s stick and tosses it aside. Unsportsmanlike, indeed, and yet I loved it for what it says about the kid’s mindset. Now, go hit the weight room ‘fore the mean guy on the beach kicks sand in yer face.

* As anticipated, zip happened to PK last night. I can only think of one missed boardin’ attempt by Richards and that’s about it. If anythin’, I wouldn’t have wanted to be that Giroux dude goin’ for the empty-netter only to get a couple of ribs caved in as he tried to skate by Soobs. If you watched Claude after the game ended, he had one of those “Well, that was certainly wasn’t worth it” painfully doubled-over looks to him.

* Speakin’ of Price, it says a whole lot that guys who perhaps went a hair overboard criticizin’ him on HI/O have the ballz to mea culpa in the face of his strong performance so far this season, while an intellectual coward of a sports columnist continues to hide by writin’ about anythin’ but hockey, you know, right smack dab in the middle of hockey season. Twerp.

* Unless I missed it, of course. But I doubt that.

* Also as expected, Nazem Kadri has been called up to be the Mopey Loafs’ saviour. Despite Kaddy playin’ a good first game with the big team, Loafs head coach Ron Wilson made a point of publicly criticizin’ the soon-to-be-ground-to-a-pulp youngster cuz, you know, coachin’s all about shittin’ on everyone and everythin’. Respondin’ to criticism regardin’ his public comments, Wilson offered up his typical cool-as-a-cucumber thoughts, “Am I allowed to coach anyone, seriously? Like, ‘Oh boy, Nazem should be able to do what he wants and the coach shouldn’t tell him how to play hockey in the NHL. No.’” No word yet on which ACC parking lot was selected for placement of the crucifix.

* Brian Burke continues to suck.

24. CHCanadien says:

Please make JM stop!

25. krob1000 says:

It would have been disapoointing if an ExHab didn;t winsicne 5 of the 8 contestants were ex Habs

26. Les-Habitants says:

I’ve begun thinking that JM is keeping any young kids away from Gomez…which makes sense, I guess.  He’s in a slump, so he’ll be fighting the puck and you’d rather have veterans there who’ve been in the league for a while playing along side him.  That said, I thought Gomez made some good plays last night – it isn’t his fault that two of his passes went right through the slot without anyone touching them

I liked the first line of Gio, Plek, and AK.

Don’t like Pouliot being broken up from the Halpern line, but they were dreadful last night…blown cover on two of those goals, so the fact that they got broken up isn’t surprising.

Weber was hesitant and couldn’t keep the puck in at the point – he looked nervous.  I’ve seen him play much better than that before at the NHL level, so he just needs to get his head in the game.

Eller looked good – again.  I think this kid is going to have a strong career, and I have no issue with him being brought along slowly.

Final point: Darche is a better forward than Weber.  Maybe have another forward take the point on the PP to fill out the rotation of Spacek, Hammer, and Subban?

27. coachdoug says:

lol…The last line is a keeper!

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

28. Patient No More says:

Other teams have found a solution to their Redden &  Souray problem ie. grossly overpaid / under performing player.  When will Gauthier exercise a similar solution on Gomez ?  For reasons unknown to most, JM continues to provide him with a significant amount of ice time despite poor offensive and spotty defensive contributions.

29. avatar_58 says:

Who did Cammy kill to be stuck with Gomez?

AK46 / Plek / Cammy
    Pouliot / Halpern / Gionta

Thank you very much. Halpern in theory is a 3rd liner. Gomez in theory is a top 6. However, as we’ve witnessed, theory doesn’t win games. So fix the lines please.

30. Kamal Panesar says:

LOL! Well said!

I really hope these lines don’t stick for Wednesday night’s game.

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Gionta (speed kills line)

Pouliot – Halpern – Darche (PhD line)

Kostitsyn – Eller – Lapierre (the in the system line)

Moen – Gomez – Pyatt (our shutdown trio)

32. Kamal Panesar says:

Wow, terrible.  Gomez is STILL on the second line?  UN-feaking-believable.  How long is this guy’s rope?  Put Halpern on the second and throw Pouliot back up there too…oh, and reuinte the top line.

AK-Plek-Cammy

Pouliot-Halpern-Gionta

Moen-Gomez-Lapierre

It is time to stop screwing around.  Gomez is not getting it done and needs to be moved off of the top two lines, at least for a few games.  He’ll likely have an easier time creating offense while playing on the third line since he won’t have to play against top defenders.

I shake my heaed in disgust.

33. SmartDog says:

Lines at practice are often lines in games. I’m not pulling my hair out thanks, but I am confused and still can’t get why he’s broken up PHD and why Pouliot is now on the 4the line while Gomez is still on the 2nd.

But seriously Serious.  If you’re going to follow me around just to ride me, I’m going to start thinking you have a crush on me.  Why not just skip me?

——-

34. fuhgawz says:

here are my lines

Line 1 NO GOMMER

Line 2 NO GOMMER

Line 3 NO GOMMER

Line 4 NO GOMMER

35. shiram says:

I dont understand the reasoning behind those line…

36. Castor says:

I completely agree! Unfortunately I don’t think JM is listening.

37. samTHEman says:

Here are my lines.

Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Cammalleri

Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

Moen – Eller – Lapierre

White – Halpern – Moen

Darche Pyatt

38. Bugs says:

No more foolin around, y’all.

Poolio/Gio-Pleky-Cammy

Andrei-Halpie-Gio/Poolio

Moen-Gomie-Lappy

Eller/Weber-Darche-Pyatt

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

39. SmartDog says:

WTF?

“Thanks for the goals last game Max.  Let’s drop you down a line…. and Pouliot, you have too many points for a guy with your ice time.  4th ilne for you.  Halpern, we’re going to keep you away from Pouliot. That was too threatening to our 2nd line.  Gomez, keep up the good work!  You stay 2nd line center. If anyone needs me I’ll be in my office, ironing my hair”

Makes total sense.  Not.

——-

40. joshua94k says:

Ex Habs wins Battle of the Blades.

Eight weeks after making his figure skating debut, Valeri Bure and partner Ekaterina Gordeeva beat out fellow ex-Hab Patrice Brisebois (with Shae-Lynn Bourne) for the show’s crystal trophy. Their triumph earned the duo $100,000 to be split among their chosen Canadian charities: Compassion Canada (Bure) and Cardiac Kids (Gordeeva).

41. RS says:

AK46-Plek-Cammi (put our #1 line back together)

Eller-Gomez-Gionta

P-H-D (they were working well together)

Moen-Lapierre-Pyatt (or Moen-Boyd-Laps)

42. JF says:

I think JM should reunite the line of Plekanec, Cammalleri, and Kostitsyn.  None of those guys have done as well with new linemates as they did with each other.  Then give Gomez, Gionta, and Pouliot a few games together, now that Plekanec has gotten Gionta going.  If after a few games, Gomez is doing no better, demote him to the fourth line and put Eller between Gionta and Pouliot.  Stop putting Moen on a top line; he doesn’t belong there.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Pulling hair out over lineup at practice.

Makes total sense. Not.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

44. fuhgawz says:

i agree with bugs Poo Poo to the top 6 send Gommer to the 4th or press box.

45. sidhu says:

Who does he have to bribe to get into the TOP SIX, let alone top three.

He did well with Gomez and Gio last season, but apparently he has to play 3rd minutes even though Gomez and Gio are struggling themselves.

Makes no sense.

46. Thomas says:

I know Eller hasn’t produced many points as of yet, but he has consistently been a solid reliable player out there on the ice.  He has good ability to carry the puck up ice, and is finding open sticks alot…I personally don’t think he will blossom on the 3rd or 4th line as a checking forward.  He has good skills, I just wish JM would give him a regular chance up front, by that i mean more that 1 or 2 shifts a game.   That being said this is how I would like to see the lines:

AK46 – Tomas Plekanec – Brian Gionta—Fine wih me, maybe sub in Cammy for Gio

Eller – Scott Gomez _
    Mike Cammalleri—Either Gio or Cammy here on the right

Tom Pyatt – Jeff Halpern – Moen–I know Moen is a lefty, but could add some body to this line

Benoit
    Pouliot -Lapierre – Mathieu Darche–Lappy an Benny could work well together

I don’t want it to sound like i’m criticizing JM, I do not totally agree with all his line juggling, but I think he’s doing a great job overall.

GO HABS GO!!!!!

47. Bugs says:

Who the heck does my boy Poolio have to MURDER to get on the 1st line playing 29 minutes a game up in this joint?

Cuz this is gettin ridi-goddang-culous. 4th line? 11 mins a game? Did he pee in the punch? What the heck?

The num5 drafted Kid was relegated cuz he was being outplayed. So WHO’S outplaying the num4 draft that HE’S being relegated? The kid might not be bringing the impact the Kid is but he’s certainly bringin some friggin GAME, man, ever since the start’o’the season and a heck of a lot more than others I don’t need to mention and STILL producin even when cast in the swamp, so how ’bout tossin the poor bastich a bone, ferpetessakes? If we gave the Kid the tools to succeed, why can’t we do the same for buddy drafted ahead of’m, knowumsayin?

Cuz this 4th line biness is just some old BULLspit, man. Bullspit.

Hmmph!

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

48. sidhu says:

Moen does not belong on that line, no offense to him.  He’s a checker, not a scorer.  We need another top 6 forward, or give Benny his spot back.

We also need to reduce Hammer and Spaceman’s minutes.  PG should work the phones for a D-man.

49. Rusty says:

Rusty Stubb

JM is doing the same bad mistake with Weber as Carbo did with Streit, playing him out of position. If Weber is successful in the AHL as a D man then this is his position. Just what does one expect when playing him as a 4-line forward? That he will become a Lafleur? Weber is basically done because the club didn’t know how to develop him. Send him back to La Suisse. Eller needs linemates!!! Pouliot is a good start, but it’s time to simply downgrade Gomez and swap him and Eller on the depth chart.
    Playing Price vs. Nashville last week was a bad move by JM. Does he think that Price will play 79 games and be fresh for the playoffs?

50. Instant Karma says:

Breaking up the only 2 lines that have worked all season for 4 lines that do nothing. Brilliant!

51. RS says:

Dressing 7 D and only 11 forwards just doesn’t make sense.

If Markov was in the line-up playing 25-30 minutes a game, the Habs could, in theory, afford to have Weber dressed as the 6th D and play only a modest amount, including powerplay time. But that would still mean Picard and somebody else sits. And there are no other candidates to sit. It wouldn’t fly.

Without Markov, the Habs have to share the icetime among 6 D. And right now Weber certainly isn’t ready to break into our top 6 (or 7 counting Markov) and take a regular shift.

Bottom line: Weber should be playing in Hamilton and working on his defensive play. If the Habs want a 7th D to have around for an emergency situation, call up Alex Henry or find some veteran guy to sit in the pressbox.

52. fuhgawz says:

Gommer should be traded to the KHL for the rights to some kid in the Ukraine who has yet to learn how to skate.  He has NO value to us or the rest of the NHL earning what he is.

53. fuhgawz says:

send Weber back down and leave him there to rot in the AHL or trade his useless ass to some sucker like NYI for a 7th round pick if you can ever get that for him