Audio: Hamrlik comments on new life with Capitals

roman

Former Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik’s face is projected on the ice during a game vs. the Calgary Flames at the Bell Centre.
Shaun Best, Reuters

Veteran defenceman Roman Hamrlik will be pulling on a Washington Capitals jersey next season and the season after that, having on Friday signed a two-year, $7-million contract with the Caps.

Hamrlik, for four years a Canadien, spoke for about 12 minutes on a teleconference Saturday early afternoon, discussing his move from Montreal to Washington.

AUDIO: Roman Hamrlik teleconference

1. Hobie Hansen says:

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
    I would if I were them. But I’m not them. RT @HabsFan94: @ArponBasu will the #habs try to sign zenon konopka?

• zozotheclown says:

White-Konopka-Moen is one tough 4th line, I’d be very happy if we pulled it off

• Hobie Hansen says:

It’s just amazing how some people don’t understand that?

• coldness81 says:

and will this line play against other teams top lines? i don’t know about that…

• Hobie Hansen says:

No, the Habs have three other good lines.

• coldness81 says:

so what’s the purpose of this line? to play 5 minutes a game? i mean i have nothing against getting this konopka dude; atleats he’s like 57% on faceoffs. it would replace halpern

• Hobie Hansen says:

No 7mins a game. And all three of those players can actually kill penalties too.

And they’d love to punch a Bruin in the face…

• coldness81 says:

so you’re saying that they will play against the other team’s top lines but only while killing penalties? i dunno about that. sure they might be able to eat up some minutes in games but i wouldn’t have white or moen killing penalties. i don’t think they’ll match up well against other teams 1st or 2nd pp lines.

as for them punching bruins in the face… the thing is i don’t see them really intimidating chara, lucic, horton. i think fighting is over rated to begin with.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Moen killed penalties all season last year to begin with! And yeah, three solid players like White-Konopka-Moen could easily shut down a top line for a few shifts a period!

Wake up lol!

• I find it similarly amazing that people don’t understand that Konopka is absolutely useless on the ice. One of the 10 WORST players in the NHL the last two seasons. And people are clamouring for him because he can win faceoffs and fight? WHY?

2. Hobie Hansen says:

Imagine there’s actually people out there that don’t realize how good konopka would look on our 4th line.

Thanks for making something clear for a lot of morons on this site who think Konopka isn’t worth signing:

Twitter:
    Darren Dreger
    DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
    Tough time of year on the depth and heart and soul guys. Can’t imagine Z.Konopka doesn’t find work very soon. Excellent role player.

• Former Jets Fan says:

Did you forget to paste the part where it’s supposed to say “…for the Habs.”

But you throw around a word like morons to describe those who disagree with you – keeping in mind that you’re the one feeling vindicated because a T.O.SN talking head (and no, not one of the ones with playing, coaching, scouting or managing experience) agrees with you via his twitter feed that ZK is a serviceable player, but makes no mention of our team, which doesn’t need 5 LH centres.

WAIT! I figured it out, finally. Konopka would help protect Plekanec and Gionta by constantly keeping them on the penalty-kill where they’re less likely to suffer an injury. Wow, close call for me there, almost a moron.

• Hobie Hansen says:

No I don’t think he’d protect Plekanec. I just think he’d hammer defenders into the boards, cause turnovers and win faceoffs. Plus he would beat the tar out of a couple Bruins…

If you don’t see any positives in that for a about 8-10 minutes a game, well, I guess you don’t watch or play hockey?

• Chris F says:

Agree with you 100%. It’s amazing how anyone on here who cheer for the Habs, and watched last year, would question picking up someone who could actually fight back. Guess what? Karma didn’t come back to get the Bruins, they simply hurt us, and still won the Fu*king Cup. Idiots.
          How do you feel when a Bruin cross checks one of our players six times per game and skates back to his bench to high fives from his team. How do you feel when Rat Boy Marchand can skate around like he owns the ice?? How about when Chara or Horton lays the lumber to Plekanecs, or Shawn Thornton is Threatening PK?? Nope, a guy on our team who could stand up to that wouldn’t help at all. Get a grip, this is sports, it’s tough, and goons have to be dealth with in ways other than turning the other cheek!!!!

• Clay says:

On another note, time to change your name, no?
        Congrats on the return of your team.

__________________________
        Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

3. coldness81 says:

very surprised at the vokoun signing. thought he would be able to get a lot more $$$.

As for brad richards, that’s a lot of money for a player who i don’t consider to be great. very solid player but right year to be a UFA i suppose; wonder if he’ll follow the Ranger path and be bought out or shipped to the minors in a few years lol.

as for our habs. i like the addition of cole just wished he could be 3-4 years younger. I have a hard time seeing AK on the 3rd line. i wonder if a trade is coming.

4. Watsatheo says:

Is a 13 minute long compilation of Erik Cole with over 90 goals, about 15 hits, and Metallica music possible? Yes it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Lf8QXxt-k

We are all done now,! So drop the puck will ya.!

6. BrianSkrudland says:

Zenon Konopka is still high on my list. His days with the Ottawa 67s are still fresh in my memory. The guy was a beast, scoring clutch goals while playing a hard-nosed physical and leadership role for Brian Kilrea.

He’s tough, but not the typical goon. Check out his impressive offensive numbers in the OHL and AHL. He’s a legitimate player.

In my humble, and highly rum-hazed, opinion, Zenon Kenopka is the guy we desperately need. One bad-ass dude that (despite his nasty minus rating on an atrocious NYI team) would add loads of character and much-needed toughness to the Habs.

If JM recognized, and properly utilized, the skill-set of a guy like Kenopka, our favourite team would be looking pretty good with a rugged fourth line. One that could, hopefully, learn to play responsible D and offer the protection that has long been lacking when ‘selective scrum tough guys’ like Marchand, Lucic and others coming roaming around.

The Devils have long been my second favourite team, so Gionta’s signing, a couple of years back, was big for me. I’ll admit that I thought Gomez could get it done for our boys as well. No dice there. But…

Langenbrunner, a former New Jersey captain, would be a guy I’d sign in a heartbeat. That dude is a winner! An absolute champ!

I truly like the team I see in Montreal. I like skill with grit far more than grit with no skill.

Konopka and Langenbrunner, please. Oh…and thank you.

Too much rum, or am I asking too much of PG?

7. habs001 says:

caps basically get voukon(signed) and draft picks including a potential lottery pick for their goalie who was looking to go to the khl…has to be the best move by any team in the nhl

8. G-Man says:

Habs now are as deep as any team since prior to the Houle/Tremblay fiasco years. There may be a signing or three left, but this is the core team for 11/12.
    How well the team does depends:
    1. Price- can he maintain his almost off-the-scale performance of 10/11?
    2. Gomez Syndrome- can he be the 60 point player between Gio and MaxPac?
    3. Cole Notes- will he fit in well with Cammy and Pleks?
    4. Can Eller come back stronger than ever?
    5. Is DD flash in the pan or is he that good?

It’s a beautiful Saturday evening in Montreal and I’m typing this? I must be mad!

9. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Wow, the caps have really done a good job. they are gonna be tough to play against.

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Wow, Gagne was signed to a very affordable contract by LA. I wonder if we talked with him about a contract.

He was on my birthday wish list.

———————————
    Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Gagne is a player with a history of injuries, to put it mildly.

Given what I have seen in the last two years, you need to be able to take a licking and keep on ticking in MTL.

I am really hoping Markov’s injuries were abberations and not playing style. But given Gagne’s history, I’d say he needs to be on another team.

He is better off in the less hardy West.

11. habs_r_us says:

possible solution for scott gomez?

if we package Andrei kostitsyn and a mid round draft pick with scott gomez in a trade to phoenix i have to think phoenix will go for this phoenix is still 20mil from the cap floor and are in need of 2 top six forwards. In return they can give us a spare part such as jason labarbara this would free over 10 million in cap space which we can use to throw MEGA 1 year deals at 2 free agents (arnott/frolov would replace gomez/kostitsyn easy) the benefits to phoenix is they get 2 top six forwards to go with a free draft pick.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“arnott/frolov would replace gomez/kostitsyn”

How is that an upgrade?

• habs_r_us says:

its not an upgrade its neutral (arnott i’d argue is an upgrade over gomez) kost/frolov is a wash but this would free the needed cap space for subban/price/pacioretty in coming years

also apologies phoenix is only roughly 11 mil under the cap floor
        dallas and colorado is in the same boat another possibility is the same trade proposal to dallas they are in need of a center after richards leaving, they could also use another winger after trading james neal at the deadline

• drivefor25 says:

Frolov has signed in the KHL. Arnott turned down a chance to join the Habs a a few years back. I’d take Gomez/Kostitsyn over those two even if they were available.

Fan since ’71

• habs_r_us says:

wasnt aware of that, again i was listing those two names as examples the holes can be filled by other players easily there is still alot of talent left

• HabFab says:

Sounds like you were out in the sun all day without a hat or shade, drinking beer and toking!!

• habs_r_us says:

nono im sober right now :) but i honestly think one of these teams would go for this kostitsyn i believe has higher value than we think there is a reason he signed for 3.3mil and not 900k hes a guaranteed 20goal per year winger with 30-40 potentiol

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Thought is has been fairly established over the last two years that Arnott has no desire to play in MTL. …. or am I wrong?

• habs_r_us says:

well i was listing arnott as an example player i didn’t say it had to be that player specifically i identified him as a player whos talents would fit well with montreal and would be our only right shot center. another player could be the answer, also im pretty sure we could offer him a 1yr/5mil contract and he would take it and next year he is gone, and we have the needed money to sign subban price to hopefully long term contracts

• likehoy says:

biggest reason not to is team chemistry.
      you trade 2 big parts of your team for 2 other guys, the team wlil be like “wtf mate?!”

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

• habs_r_us says:

good point im not actually against giving gomez a shot this year i actually think that management will take a good look at him in camp/preseason if they like what they see (conditioning/elevated work ethic/motivation) and he produces he will stay with the club. if not i hope managment has the balls to bury him in the minors where he can work on his game without all the pressure.

i was just trying to think outside the box and eliminate the whole gomez drama altogether and free up more space to sign usefull players

12. Bugs says:

See, lotsa folks makin good points about Gorgey bein worth this much or that much and how that much is too much for a guy worth this much. Aaaall very interesterating.
    But maybe, and I’m just spitballin this, some of you fine, fine folk aren’t analyzing the player’s worth from a proper angle.
    See, Gorgey Inc and Goatier aren’t discussin how much his somewhat lackiing defensive vision, limited offensive output and rare d-zone outbreaks are worth; they’re discussin how much his IMPORTANCE TO THE TEAM is worth.
    From THAT perspective, Gorgey might have trouble asking in excess of 3.5 on any other club, but with Mtl, he can surely ask for 4 without reservation because WE know that he has the Intangible, you know, that defining attribute that separates our champions from all the rest, what we call “la rage de vaincre”. And he KNOWS that we know it.
    The guy has a leg to stand on is what I’m sayin despite the “worth this much insteada that much and that much is too much” campaign goin on around here.
    Now, me? I would go 5 yrs 15mil EASY.
    That’s fifteen MILLION smackers GUARANTEED. In yo POCKET. And all you have to do is play hockey in Mtl for the next 5 years of your life.
    Fif. Teen. Miiiiillion. Smackerinos.
    That’s a sh*te-load of moolah if there ever was one.
    GuaranTEED. Get hit by a bus tomorrow, now you can’t WALK? Too bad. Cuz it’s YO. Money. B*tch.
    15 million dollars.
    5 years.
    Why wouldn’t he take it?
    I’d fuggin take it; tell you that for nuthin.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Interesting post and I kind of agree with you. However, this is the likely scenario at 5 yrs 15M.

Year one. Awesome leadership, grit, determination and stuff like that. He has no particular stats to speak of other than ice time and shots blocked. A real team player.

Year two. They make Cammy team capt. because it turns out Gionta does not meet the min. height req. of captaincy under the new collective bargaining agreement. Media writes many stories of how buddy buddy Cammy and Gorgey are.

Year three: as much as Gorges shuts down the opposition, takes it in the corners to make sure the puck gets to safe ice, and blocks shots until he bleeds, his offensive stats are too low for the fans. Cammy’s stats are down too. Gorges is supportive of his captain and friend when the media comes calling.

Year four: Habs lag in the standings for no apparent reason other than losing but surely it’s because of Gorges! Habs trade him midseason to Bufalo for a 5th round pick.

He goes on to Captain the Buffalo Sabres.

13. Chris F says:

Gorges should not get a penny over 3/yr. He’s a defensive defensemen who doesn’t score, is not big, doesn’t fight, or play PP. Yeah, he’s steady, and kills penalties, which no doubt when your the most penalized team in the league that’s important. But come one, free agent or not, lets not get carried away.
    Gill makes 2.25 I belive, any more than 3 for Gorges is crazy! I love the guy but he’s just too one dimensional.
    But if you compare him to Spacek, I guess he could argue. Although Spaced had 40 points in Buffalo before signing his contract.

• likehoy says:

exactly.
      I think we’re overrating josh gorges a lot. he’s a 3rd pairing dman at best.. he should be paid like one.

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

• joeybarrie says:

2.75 for 4 years
      3 million for 6.
      This is what I expect.
      He may be one dimensional, but he was brilliant on the PK last season and one of the key reasons it was so effective. He also did a good job on 5 v 5. He is a pretty big peice of our defensive puzzle.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

14. Chris F says:

Anthony Stewart signed for two years, 900,000 per. Man, I’m so dissapointed. He would have been awesome, but I guess with Moen and White there was just no room for him. Too bad, I like Darche, but this guy is big, tough, and can actually protect some of our small guys. If anyone thinks intimidation doesn’t count, they haven’t played competitive sports. Maybe we can still get Konopka to center the fourth line. But right now, I really doubt it.
    If Eller can’t go until Nov, who fills in at center until then?

• ProHabs says:

Exactly, And that is why I wonder if Gautheir knows the importance of this. I don’t see him having played a very high level of hockey. I bet the players in the dressing room would love some toughness to protect them.

When is the deal with the Blackhawks going to be announced.

• Chris F says:

ProHabs, I’ve been thinking this for some time. Unless you’ve played at a high level, and actually on the ice against good players, you just cannot imagine how a Lucic screaming in the ear of a Pouliot can throw him off his game. Not that Pouliot needed that, but you know what I mean.
        There simply should never be a time when our small players, ie: Pleky, Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Pk, PK, PK, PK, PK, did I mention our best player PK??, are intimidated or concerned for their safety. And yes, I mean safety. We had one player almost killed, another in Eller injured badly, and two or three others pummelled to the ice in the regular season by goons.
        Personally, I couldn’t sleep after the Pacioretty incident. It’s like Zidane said, “In the end, I’m still a Man”.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Remember Martin’s reaction after the Pacioretty incident?

He had as much emotion as I did this morning when I realized I was out of razor blades.

• Chris F says:

I remember exactly, I don’t know how a reaction like that is possible, unless utter shock set in and he couldn’t move, or breath.

• HabFab says:

How do you say botox??

• JohnBellyful says:

He wuz thinkin’ way ahead of mere mortals. He quickly eyed the situation for what it was, realized raw emotion wasn’t going to salvage Pac’s season or get Chara suspended, so he reacted the way any great coach would: He began running line combinations through his mind.

15. mike3131 says:

Tim Connolly to T. O. 2 years, $9.5 M (4.75/year). I’m happy with Cole at $4.5 M/year.

16. Fansincebirth says:

These salaries are getting (?) more ridiculous by the minute.

Since when did the NHL become the MLB?

They’re pricing themselves out of a job….

“With a $10m SB in the first year (plus $2m in salary) and an $8m SB in the second year, Richards will receive $20m in the next 12 months.”

This game is officially all about money…makse me wanna puke

17. PeterD says:

Some teams are blowing their salary cap brains out to sign players. Some of the contracts are nuts, but some of those teams are going to better and some are going to come to regret the long term high price help they just signed.

With $8.3 M left in the bank, I hope Pierre is all but done with the exception of some tinkering around the edges to land and improve our bottom 6 forwards…maybe add some cost effective toughness with a player who can actually play and not just be tough.

I am still hoping we can swing a deal to trade Spacek to a team that needs some depth on D and some salary cap to make the floor…we might get a 3rd round pick for him…I would be OK with that cause I think we have a good set of D-men coming in this season with;
    Markov, PK, Gorges, Yemelin, Diaz, Gill, and Weber…I think Spacek is expendable this season.

So unless Pierre can land someone that knocks our lights our with offense and toughness and skill all in one package, I say lets sit on the extra cap space and see how the season goes…afterall, who knows what sort of hand wringing and nashing of teeth some GM’s will be doing at Trade deadline as their high priced help hasn’t led them to the play off promised land. I think there may be some top notch talent being dangled to rededuce their salary and maybe we could fill a need at that time.

Now, bring on training camp and lets get this new season on the go.

18. habs001 says:

if you look at the top 10 teams in the east there is not a huge dominant difference between them….even the other 5 teams will cause problems…the playoffs will be a total toss up…the key may be who you can add at the trade deadline even if they are a rental…

19. punkster says:

Damn, the Konopka talk has died down here. Come on people, get yer groove on and talk goon.
    Me, I’m goin’ back to the Jazz Fest again tonight to catch this awesome Mexican singer, Magos Herrera. A gem.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

20. joeybarrie says:

Whats going on in Washington…?
    Signing FA’s left and right, yet still have to come to terms with Brouwer, Alzner, Perrault and pick up a back up goalie. Unless there going with Holtby. Even then with his 600k cap hit, they have under a million to use….
    BIG TRADE COMING???? Why would they have given their first round draft pick for the RFA and sign other players????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

So Richards is getting:
    12, 12, 9, 8.5, 8.5, 7, 1, 1, 1 how is this not circumventing the salary cap? Why did Devils get effed by league office if every big contract since is just as stupid?

• Gindan69 says:

He’s only getting 12. Then getting nothing in the next lockout. Then when they come back, 12 again, but that whole amount will count against the cap. They are going after 2 things, guaranteed contracts and cap averaging. The plan is what you get paid is what is on the cap for each given year.

Dregger says even if lockout Richards get 8Million.

First year of contract is 10mill signing bonus 2mill salary, year 2 is 8mill signing bonus 4 mill salary. I don’t recall all this signing bonus stuff the last couple years, is this a new twist?

• Gindan69 says:

Not a new twist. Because the CBA ends after July 1st next summer, they are offering up front cash to grab through a signing bonus. So he gets 12 (10/2) this year because the max salary you can offer is 9.2 based on some formula they use in the CBA. Then he gets 8 next July 2, and then it’s lockout time at which point nobody knows how these contracts will be affected, what the cap structure and calculations will be like, will the contracts still be guaranteed.

22. ds says:

Glad that PG didn’t get into a bidding war for Hammer. He got as much as Simon Gagne lol. Then they say he has no links to the mob.

23. HabFanSince72 says:

Which one is William again?

Double post, disregard

25. Gindan69 says:

Gagne to kings, 3.5/yr x 2.

26. Harry says:

Roman is a class act….Obviously, the Habs did not even come close to a decent offer….Washington I think made a great decision and he will help their defense and make Ovie’s life easier…
    Alll the best…He was one of the Habs greatest defensemen!

• HabFanSince72 says:

“He was one of the Habs greatest defensemen!”

OK let’s not get sentimental.

• Harry says:

I hope Markov has a healthy 3 years and we should all not forget how lucky the team was that he appears to have recovered and that the team had such a great person to stand in for the team, the management and the fans….Hamrlik expressed his wishes and has been gracious and loyal despite the thanks he got from management and a minority of fans…..I am sure he will be a great asset in Washington and fingers crossed that the Habs make the playoffs despite the Montreal fans fiscal generosity

PS-I adore Koivu and he should have ended his career here too

• Bugs says:

One of the greatest?
      Whoa-whoa-hey-whoa, take it easy there, buddy.
      He was really good. Really, really good.
      And I’ll even add “worth every penny of his contract; don’t regret it in any way”.
      But “one of the greatest” is friggin pushin it and you need to calm yourself down, son.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Harry says:

I’ve been watching the Habs since 1952 and while there were greats, players have gottten better over the years…many of the old stars as loved as they are do not equal some of the modern era players and on defense they include Robinson, Chelios, Markov, and yes – Hamrlik…remember too another ex-Canadian who went to Washington..2 time Norris trophy winner & Hall of Famer, Rod Langway….have not heard his name mentioned by Habs fans..nor #1 pick Rick Green……I guess nobody lived after Harvey and Butch Bouchard??

• issie74 says:

UH wrong … I saw Harvey and Bouchard. Nobody looks like Harvey

Perhaps Lidstrom. Harvey was tough as well as magic with the puck,perhaps you can google the riot in Chicago,when Harvey stood at center and dared anyone to come out and get him.
          He was protecting Red Storey.
          NorthTOHab

• Harry says:

I saw Harvey too…how about some stats..
            career goals 76, assists 371 for a total of 447 in 20 years…..

I think we should not knock Hamrlik….he has signed with a contender for 2 years so his career is not over-and to date his NHL totals are goals 153(double), assists 471 for a total 624 points. Probably Harvey could have handled Ovechkin, but we know Hamrlik could so why not praise Roman, and regret his departure….a great guy and PK and Gorges at least will be better because of him…
            We should defend our stars, or we will continue to be fighting to just make thye playoffs….

Harvey was a great player but to put down Hamrlik with his career as a scorer, teacher, #1 draft choice, Olympic Goold medallist is simply beyond it

• shootdapuck says:

Been around since 52 as well.

And how long was a season in Harvey’s era?

and the maximum number of playoff games was 14!

Quote Harvey’s numbers on a per game basis to compare.

How many Stanley Cups did Harvey or in fact Bouchard, Robinson, Lapoint and Savard win?

Will Hamrlik be nominated to the Hall of Fame? Unlikely!

Good guy, warrior but not in the same league as Harvey, Robinson, Lapoint, Savard or even the late Bill Nyrop!

***************************************************
            … the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• Un Canadien errant says:

What is it about Roman? A week ago another poster stated he was “the Lou Gehrig of hockey”. Now this.

Serge Savard. Guy Lapointe. Larry Robinson. Chris Chelios. Andrei Markov. This list is from my lifetime. I never saw Doug Harvey play, they say he was pretty good.

Mr. Hamrlik was a stalwart defender who played with heart and honourably wore the bleu blanc rouge. It’s too bad that in this salary cap era we could not come to terms with him, and we wish him well. If comes a day when we need an emergency defenceman and he is available and the situation is right, we would welcome him back with open arms.

I think that covers it.

———————————

• Harry says:

the habs could easily have afforded Hamrlik…..this administration is trying to keep cap room as what they do not pay out comes back as profit, and the Habs are the most profitable franchise with no leftover seats, beers, or hotdogs…..

Did the last owner sell at a big loss?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I disagree on your points Harry.

To say we could “easily afford” Roman does not adequately describe the situation and is unhelpful. Yes we could have met his contract demands in a pure financial sense, but in the practical sense it would have been at a great cost to the team, because we would not have gotten as much value for those dollars as we will when we spend them elsewhere. The dollars we didn’t spend on Mr. Hamrlik will be reinvested elsewhere, as they were in signing Mr. Cole yesterday. Everyone agrees we had to ‘overpay’ a little for his services, we couldn’t have done so with Mr. Hamrlik under contract for 3.5 million for two more years. Mr. Weber and Mr. Yemelin will probably do just as well on the blue line this season as Mr. Hamrlik would have done, or almost, for a much lower figure combined, so that is much better value for our cap dollars.

As far as saving money under the cap so that the Molson family can pocket a couple of million, this postulate is ludicrous. The Molsons make their money from the beer business, not from the NHL. If they were to scrimp and save on the team a la Harold Ballard, they would quickly be mercilessly crucified by the press and public, and their core business might suffer from the poor PR and potential boycotts. They can’t afford to not reinvest the revenue into the team, to do otherwise would be suicidal.

Furthermore, the Molsons were in the past enlightened and benevolent owners of the Canadiens, and certainly so when compared to the Smythes and the Adamses and other Original Six owners. The Molson family has a long history and roots in Montreal, and will treat this franchise as a sacred trust, as they have in the past.

It’s okay to be sorry that Roman left Harry, but don’t let it cloud your judgment. You’ll still cheer this season, don’t be bitter and willfully blind.

———————————

• Harry says:

Let’s see what the Habs will pay with their extra dollars….It might be worth checking the last couple years of actual salary spending (and adding in the injury savings) to see that Canadiens management does not operate in going the route of saving here to pay there………If Washington could pay more than Roman would take in Montreal, then the Habs are just going to pocket the cash….I would be really overjoyed if they take their estimated 8 milllion extra cap room and spend some of it…..With Hamrlik,they would still have had 5 or more left……

• Harry says:

THe sports club owners one may notice are attached to sports and beer……it is business as it was for Mr. Molson’s predecessor…the players make better money than postal workers but the Molsons are not operating the enterprise as a money-losing hobby…Do you work for them? I cannot understand the logic.

• Harry says:

Perhaps they should raise the salaries of the employees of the Bell Center, reduce the ticket prices and set aside a few thousand tickets for single parents and those on unemployment…

I guess I did not realize that it was a charitable enterprise and that the high beer prices charged at the games are all that sustains the Molson family…the rest is for charity!

Oh yes, the Royal couple have just come to Canada to donate most of their wealth to the poor….

• habstrinifan says:

I now pronounce thee “Harry the Hyperbolist”!

• t1tan5 says:

“He was one of the Habs greatest defensemen!”

While he was here? Sure, I’d agree with that. All time? I would strongly disagree.

27. Bugs says:

Very pleased in the final analysis to see Brad in NY.
    Why?
    Cuz it still won’t be enough.
    Like it wasn’t enough when he went to Dalliss. He didn’t go for “the team in place”; he went for MANHATTAN. (Don’t blame’m, mind; I woulda gone for Manhattan too.)
    NYR team + Brad Richards = Not enough.
    Overall negative effect on successful progress of Mtl Canadiens: 0.
    Mwooa-mwooa-mwoooaHA-HA-HAAAAA!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

28. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

At this point, I think Gomez will start the year with the Habs, but if there was a trade out there for him, I think it would have to be with Colorado or the Islanders. Phoenix is about 8.5 million under the floor, but they have to re-sign Turris, Boedker and Yandle. They should reach it easily with those three signings.

According to Capgeek, Colorado has re-signed Varlamov to a 3-year deal although I can’t find it anywhere else). They are just under $6 million under the floor right now with 21 players signed. I’m not sure who’s left that they could sign to help them make up that difference.

The Islanders only have Josh Bailey as a significant RFA to re-sign and with 18 players under contract, they still have more than 10 million to spend to reach the floor.

With that in mind:

Spacek and Gomez to Colorado for Peter Mueller

or

Spacek and Gomez to the Islanders for Trent Hunter (or someone else)

• mrhabby says:

so were saying to these teams take this 10m cap hit and we take back your 1 player. iam sure we would have to make more salary back.

• Ali says:

to get anyone to take spacek or gomez we’d have to include an asset that has some value, even if the Isles are below the floor.

Oh Captain my Captain…

• ArmyFan says:

Didn’t I read that Gomez can choose 3 teams that he CAN NOT be traded to? If that’s the case, and he is hell bent on staying in Montreal, he could kaibosh a trade to these teams by putting them on his no-go list. And it seems there are (as you say) only 2 or 3 teams that are desperate to reach to cap floor, so he could essentially thwart most possibilities for a trade – again, only if he really wanted to stay on a team that is trying to get rid of him.

Just speculation…..

• Harry says:

Gomez is certain to stay in Montreal this coming year – and fans may find if his health improves he will have a good year but management paid the price when they made the trade…What if Cole folds?…Spacek has one year left but he is a steady player when healthy and his stats last year were among the best of the habs very stellar defense, plus-minus etc and even Spacek’s salary is not out of line…nor should it be the fan’s problem, management made the call and it may not be too far off….
      Seems everyone thinks about contract price..he may seem comparatively high but he has been around a long time…..and where is the fan lineup to give PK better than the cheap wages he is earning compared to ………Gill,Gorges,Yemelin,Markov,Weber even Markov’s millions for what he has done these last couple years….
      The Habs have a thin defense and if they won’t give PK more money now, then they should get someone else as a back-up…imagine Ault,Pouliot etc etc all got more than PK…..and Spacek..well he does his job and will do it again in this his last year…a good team man don’t knock it

29. novahab says:

Well if Burke wants Stamkos then Stevie Y can asked for the First rounder for the next four drafts. After all they gave away two first and a second for that bum from Boston. I say that rat Burke will stick his tail between his legs and leave this sinking ship soon. Hey CBC how many years can you call the losing Leafs Canadian’s team lol.

• Bugs says:

If Burke slinks off the leaf ship havin left it in worse shape than he got it, he’s done in the NHL. So, he can’t leave.
      And so far, I gotta say, I LOVE’m as the leaf GM. I couldna WRITTEN a better plot.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• mrhabby says:

i think the team is better now then when he took over…thats not saying much.

• Bugs says:

Season GP W L OTL Pts
          2006–07 82 40 31 11 91
          2007–08 82 36 35 11 83
          - BURKIE TAKES OVER NOV 08 -
          2008–09 82 34 35 13 81
          2009–10 82 30 38 14 74
          2010–11 82 37 34 11 85

I dunno, Habby. A case could be made he’s made the team worse, no?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Chris F says:

Absolutely agree. Can’t believe they didn’t sign Richards at any cost. I thought it was a done deal, but because he ran his mouth off so many times about circumventing the cap, he screwed himself and couldn’t make that deal. The entire NHL would have laughed at him for being such a hypocrite. Love it though, you know he’s steaming. Going to be hilarious to hear how he tries to sell Connelly to the fans. I think with our team now, I want a clean sweep against T.O. this year. They’ve witnessed alot of losing there, they gave up toughness in Tim Brent, and lost out on Richards. And to give up 4 first rounders for Stamkos, man, that would be brutal.
        TB are in tough though, that Vinny salary is going to haunt them.

• mrhabby says:

the leafs would have to give all those pics or work out a trade with TB leaving themselves starting from scratch with a high priced sniper and nothing else.
      stamkos is surely one of the best players in the league top 5. tampa bay might as well turn off the lights if they let stamkos go.

ps..burke is desperate since he missed the playoffs last year so i can see him doing something crazy.

Gagne to LA. Damn it, we could have had Gagne and Cole.

• Bugs says:

And dropped who?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• 24 Cups says:

Bygs – I’m not sure we have to drop anyone. Assuming Gorges gets 3.5M, we would come in at just under 600,000 less than the cap. That’s pretty tight but still doable.

AK46/Eller/Gagne would be a great line.

Moen/DD/White/Darche fill out the line-up card.

Sign an 8th depth Dman in August on a two-way contract. Same goes for Pyatt if he’s still kicking around.

• Bugs says:

Oh, ok, I thought you meant Cole and Gagné on the same line.
          Apologies.
          Soooo, how much would you’ve paid this ufa to play on our 3rd then?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• 24 Cups says:

Bugs – It wouldn’t be our 3rd line, but rather one of our top three lines.

IF Markov and Gorges hold up, we can win the Cup next year with my line-up:-)

• issie74 says:

Mr.Bugs … you ask tough questions.

NorthTOHab

• Gindan69 says:

Need that money for some added muscle on the bottom 2 lines. Would have been sweet.

31. novahab says:

I think Gorges is in play to be traded I can’t believe its taking this long to sign him. I think PG is leaning toward havn’t Markov, Gill Spacek and the best player in the league PK and the beae. Then you have the young Russian along with Weber. Nash was up last year for a cup of coffee and he has size and can skate. The wheel are turning what can the team get for Gorges . Can he get a weaker team to give up a first rounder next year.

• thehabsfan29 says:

the chances that gorges will be traded is between slim and none

• PeterStone says:

i disagree with the previous reply, I think the chances are between none and none. When was Price signed last season ?

• savethepuck says:

He’s an RFA, We didn’t sign Carey til just before the season started last year in the same position. Both sides will take the time to get the best deal possible that benefits him and the organization

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• Harry says:

Gorges injury means he is toast being an RFA. He cannot hope to get his full value after his reduced playing time this season…..If there was any justice, based on his years of performance and low pay he would have a bigger offer comparing his work to other teammates, who earned more for less contribution, and yet next season will still be earning more than he ever did.
      Expect the present offer is a lower salary than Gorges and agent hoped for given his contribution, age and skill….it may not end as a joyful agreement now or long term….Habs would be wise to give this dedicated and skilled team player with leadership qualities a decent long-term pact….does not feel that will happen…
      this signing process has gone on far too long….lasting bitterness is the big risk for the whole team….

J

32. Bugs says:

I’m still having trouble getting over that TSN had Kaberle as their num3 available UFA.
    I understand it’s the Toranna Sports Network, but honestly, to prop up such a lily-livered shrinkin violet like that as an impact acquisition, don’t they have any DIGNITY?
    Do any of you think he’ll get more per year than The Hamr?
    Honestly.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

Agree Bugs, I had posted that a couple days ago. Complete ridiculous assessment by TSN.

Dreger just tweeted LA Kings agree to terms verbally with Gagne details to follow.

Someone will be stupid enough to pay Kaberle close to Hammer money, probably more term and a bit less per year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Kaberle has no clothes, as we saw in the playoffs.

Burke bashers have to admit that he lipsticked up that pig and got good value from the Bruins for him.

Maybe Mr. Chiarelli felt sorry for Mr. Burke, and just a touch guilty for that swindle.

———————————

33. Bill says:

Connolly will be a nice fit in TO. He’s never cracked 20 goals, so he’s there to set up Kessel, which he can do: two years ago he had 48 assists, which is about as much as you could expect from Richards. Granted, he’s never broken 40 assists before or after that, but if he can stay healthy he’ll look good with Kessel.

The price is nasty though …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bugs says:

First game, Soobie WIPES’m out. Fractured meta-carpial ubulus and ruptured sino-vascular phalange (or whatever; I’m not a doctor).
      Five weeks in a coma; misses rest of the year.
      Haw! Oh, the look on Burkie’s face then would keep me warm for eight winters, I reckon.
      (that’s mean though; shouldn’t think like that)

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

The NHL needs another lockout.

If I’m the NHLPA, I would just ask for another five year extension on the present agreement. They may have lost the original battle, but it sure looks like they have won the war.

The brilliance of the NHLPA in the last agreement was making the Owners have the Minimum salary cap. They capitulated on having a salary cap, but by tying league revenues to raising the ceiling and the floor, they have created a great situation. Bettman again thought he won the war, but really, teams losses are probably increasing now from where they used to be.

• Gindan69 says:

The floor is killing the sunbelt teams, but the hockey markets are all stronger then they were because of the cap. At least you don’t have NY and Laffs buying up all the talent. All those sunbelt franchises will end up moving back north and the league will be better for it. I know it hurts the TV strategy to not have a team in every corner of the states, but its still a gate driven league.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Be precise with your language please.

You must mean Gary Bettman and the NHL owners will enforce another lockout on the fans and players due in large part to their own bungling.

The NHL itself doesn’t need a lockout, it needs enlightened direction and stewardship to take the game to the next level.

We actually dropped one level since the Bruins were railroaded to a Cup win, so what we need is to take it to the next level, and then the level beyond.

———————————

35. Un Canadien errant says:

Why is July 1st the date that the NHL chooses as the end date of contracts and thus the start of free agency? I know it makes sense to have it after the draft, and July 1 is kind of easy to remember, but doesn’t it make sense that a League that employs hundreds of Canadians, has seven franchises in Canada, and is home to millions of fans in Canada, should observe its national holiday? Would the American franchises even tolerate such guff, if we tried to make July 4 the beginning of the free agency period?

It was kind of ridiculous that the teams making presentations to Brad Richards and his agents yesterday would get to the office building and hit their nose on a locked door, due to the holiday.

Am I the only one who thinks that’s odd? Wouldn’t it be just as easy, and much more respectful, to make the date the first Monday after July 4? Or the first Saturday if they want fans to have the opportunity to tune in?

———————————

• G-Man says:

It’s the best date. It’s after the draft and gives players a month to move to their new locale. Many players are married and have families.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I would argue that it’s not the best date. July 7 would essentially be the same, but would allow Canadians to celebrate Canada Day.

The one week difference would not be crucial to the operation of the league, but it would be significant to Canadians and Canadian teams.

———————————

• t1tan5 says:

Free agency does not affect everyday Canadians, or shall I say SHOULD not affect Canadians. Go about your day and celebrate Canada’s birthday. That’s what I did. Oh and I got texts from TSN whenever a signing was made. In the end, I was able to keep track of the signings while still doing my thing. I also believe that it wouldn’t affect Canadian players since Canada day pales in comparison to the prospect of being a UFA.

36. Dwayne33 says:

Leafs are paying Connolly more money per year than Montreal is paying Cole. Connolly had 13 goals last year, Cole had 26. Who got the better deal!!??!!

Connolly has always been a setup guy more than a goal scorer. I am happier with us getting Cole, but Toronto had to get a playmaking center for Kessel. When healthy Connolly will provide that for the Leafs. Should be for about 45 games this year according to numbers since lockout….

• 24 Cups says:

As bad as the Cole/Leino/Fleischmann deals were, this one is even worse. Connolly is a gifted player but he’s surely taking advantage of a weak UFA field as well as a league gone mad.

Gagne is all that’s left up front. You also have to wonder who is going to bite on Vokoun, who is probably the best player mentioned in this post. Are there any decent Dmen left, I can’t be bothered to check.

• Gindan69 says:

2nd line center who’s going to have to play 1st line with kessel. Oh well, short Reimer playing lights out the full season, Leafs don’t make the playoffs with who’s currently on that roster. They have 2/3 of a 1st line, 1/3 of a 2nd line, junk the rest of the way, pilons on D for the most part. Gonna be a long season for the Laughs yet again.

37. RockinRey says:

Nice signing . Nice player but 2 yrs 9.5? Hmm a little bit much. This league is going bankrupt………..

After looking at his stats and the fact he has only played 82 games once I am kinda happy he did not sign with the Habs

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think it’s a good move for the Leafs. It won’t necessarily put them in the playoffs, but it makes them a better team. $4.75 M/year is kind of high, but it probably took that to get him to sign a short term contract. I’m confident Burkie will do something stupid to offset this good move though.

Hate to say this but I still think Burke is doing everything he can (through his assistants) in trying to get a trade with Tbay for Stamkos. I have heard through friends Stamkos wants to play in TO.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If you had Yzerman’s job would you trade Stamkos for Reimer + Schenn + Grabovski?

Would have to include Schenn, Reimer and Kulemin at min. plus a 1st.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Hard to dream up a package from the Leafs that would get him isn’t it? Even if they signed him to an offer sheet, Tampa could just match it and trade him somewhere else. The only way I see Stamkos in Toronto is if Stamkos demands a trade to the Leafs and nowhere else, which is possible, but I have no idea if it’s likely.

• 24 Cups says:

Stamkos is the third best player in the NHL. There is no offer the Leafs could make to justify a such a trade.

If Stamkos leaves Tampa, they might as well lock the doors. Elvis has left the building. Thank you and good night.

Agree 24cups, but the fact they haven’t signed Stamkos yet, doesn’t look good. This could be a very early career defining moment for Mr. Yzerman.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Stamkos is the second best player on his own team. He’s not the third best player in the NHL.

• Duracell3 says:

Who do you take setting you up, St. Louis, or Conolly/Grabovski lol?

• 24 Cups says:

HB – This was the true weakness of the new CBA. The GMs could have used cheap, productive young talent up until they turned 27 or 28. Instead, they allowed them to go for the moon after just three years. What a mistake.

I watched Stamkos play in his junior days. This kid is right up there with Crosby and Ovechkin.

Top goalscorer in the league last few years i think. He is a stud player.

Even worse for the teams, Winnipeg will have much higher revenues than Atlanta did, this will only continue to ratchet up the Floor and Ceiling caps. Gary’s whole deal has backfired in saving his sunbelt franchises.

As much as Tbay’s new owner has deep pockets, he is a business man and his franchise can’t make money with his team going all the way to the cap ceiling. I guess maybe if they make SC finals every year maybe.

• cuzzie says:

Didn’t do very much in the second half of the season.

38. Critical-MASS says:

Tim Connolly signs with Laughs…2yrs at like 9 mil …..lol…the laughs make me laugh….

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

So here is some of the reaction in TO press regarding Burke and his choice to be in Kandahar rather than here in TO during Free Agency day. I respect what Burke was doing with the troops, but agree with the article in that the timing was suspect at the very least.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Really? You’re gonna criticize a dude for going to meet and greet the troops?
      Who cares about timing, videoconferencing… with technology, you can pretty much be anywhere and get stuff done.

Did you read the article? I didn’t criticize what he is doing, but rather when he is doing is questionable. Listen bud, i have friends over there and I am huge supporter of the troops. I Have lost family relatives to War, so don’t question my Patriotism and respect for troops. But read the article, the point is, he is the highest paid GM in the league to do a job for the leafs. All i said was timing was suspect.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Do the Canadian troops really care if an American lawyer comes to visit them? I agree with the article, just another case of Burke’s massive ego getting more air time while his team hasn’t made the playoffs in years.

40. ooder says:

connolly to the leafs
    2 years 9.5 mill
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

LOL, just as I post an article from the TOronto Sun bitching about Burke not being around and how the Leafs did nothing to improve, the Leafs sign Connolly! Too funny! Nice player when healthy.

All the best to Mr. Hamrlik he provided Yeoman like work for us these past 4 years. From being the steady 3-4 Dman, to taking our #1 Dmans minutes when injured. While his efforts were always there, it was time for us to move on and congrats to him and his agent for getting a great 35+ contract.

Hopefully something comes to fruition from these talks with Chicago, or PG can find another gritty player for either 3rd/4th line. I am concerned Eller will not be ready for opening day and therefore more reason we pick up another C. Enqvist is a possiblity but would prefer to see someone else.

Like the moves so far, especially the moves not made, as in really stupid contracts for unproven players.

Not surprised having read all the past 2 days threads that the ridiculous posts are flying about how great Benny is/was and that Hammer should never have been let go. No team has greater hindsight fans than Les Habitants!

42. derfab says:

Happy about Cole but Pouliot should have been signed and shopped. Boston gets him for zip and we lose another big first round pick still learning his way. As is, I don`t see how the top six is going to work. Someone is going to be moved in a trade, probably Kostitsyn. Moen is a hard worker with zero talent. Talbot would have been perfect.

• Habfan4lfe says:

I could see Moen gone, as a matter of fact I’d like it.

• RockinRey says:

i would have signed him for 1 mil ( still overpaid but what can you do) and had in bottom 3 role and let him work his way up and then flip him like you say. Tough to see assets walk

• Gindan69 says:

They shopped Poillot up the ying yang. Nobody wanted him even for a 7th pick 5 years down the road. So your saying they should have qualified him at 1.4 because thats what cba called for and just have him take a roster spot and likely sit in the nosebleeds and still have no takers? The bruins are taking a shot at resurection. The likely scenario is he starts hot like he did here and eventually works his way off that roster as well. He’s got way more competition to just make the dressed squad over there then he had here.

43. Ali says:

Anthony Stewart signs in Carolina for 900k per year cap hit. Wonder if Habs were in it

44. punkster says:

Equally panned and praised by the experts on HI/O, Roman “The Centurion” Hamrlik has played his last game as a Hab. If so there will be two separate camps partying.

One group will celebrate his departure by continuing to heap scorn on his greying head, insisting he was a liability, a useless entity who couldn’t skate, pass, shoot, hit and sucked wind for the upwards of 20+ minutes he often played in a game.

The other group will praise his honest efforts as the emergency fill-in on our depleted D corps, a workhorse who while not as fast, accurate or physical as his younger counterparts still provided an honest effort and gave his all for the team.

I’m firmly in the second group. Thanks Roman. Bonne chance, hodně štěstí and all the best in the future.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

45. JF says:

The Rangers and Brad Richards are welcome to each other. The term is crazy, and I’m sure both sides will regret the deal before it’s half over.

I find it hard to really respect an elite athlete who prefers playing in a small market. If you can take the big bucks, you should be able to take the pressure. The guys I really like are the ones who embrace the challenge of playing before a packed house every night, of facing the relentless scrutiny of fans and media, and of performing well when it really counts. Like our guys.

46. Bill says:

Hamrlik in Montreal was an odd combination of overpaid yet underrated. He was a UFA at a time when not many good D were available, and he was going to cash in somewhere: people forget how badly the Habs needed a good, all-round, veteran defenseman at the time.

So his contract was a little steep, but the Habs got four quality years out of him: it seems very few appreciate how steady and reliable he was. 22 minutes a game, 25-35 points every year, a cumulative +15 over four years on an offensively-challenged squad, and missed few games. 119 points over four years. He was the main reason the Habs kept going the last two years without Markov, who used to be considered their best player.

The Capitals got him to fill much the same role, and I don’t think he’ll disappoint.

Full Breezer 4 Life

47. TommyB says:

The one worry on my mind the last couple of weeks, is what is holding up the new contract for Gorges? Surely the Habs intend to keep him, right? What are the possible reasons for the wait? Is the knee rehab not coming along as smoothly as we had expected? Has PG just been too busy, and they have an understanding that it will get done soon? Are both parties just taking a step back for a moment to see what kind of money is being thrown around elsewhere, and thereby getting an idea of what kind of coin, and more imortantly term, both parties can be satisfied with? If Gorges is long-term in Montreal’s plans, it would be a good idea to get the correct deal done now instead of letting him become UFA a year down the road. Or….am I overvaluing Gorges worth? It doesn’t happen all that often, that the Habs cut loose a player in a move that would totally piss me off, but letting Gorges go would do that. I’m getting a little impatient.

• Propwash says:

Same thing happened with Price last year.

• Bill says:

Could be anything. But Gorges and Gauthier are both on record as wanting to get a deal done. Gorges is an RFA, and not a flashy player: his value is mainly in the “intangibles” … beyond that he’s simply a reliable defensive Dman. He’s not going to get some huge offer sheet.

My guess is that Gauthier is trying to sign him long-term and trying to make it worthwhile for Gorges to pass up being a UFA next year. So it’s probably just a complicated contract.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• TommyB says:

That’s what I am hoping for, but you never know in today’s NHL. I feel Gorges should be an important part of the team looking down the road a couple of years, with a few greybeards surely to be departing. In a couple of years, Gorges would be the mentor to the young defencemen on the team. That’s my hope, anyway.

• kitbeyer says:

Probably nothing to worry about…JG is qualified so no rush, PG was busy with trying to fill some other holes. Made two signings and probably had his hat in a few other rings. Once some of the more pressing issues are out of the way I’m sure it will be no time before he ties up this loose end.

48. JayBee says:

I guess adding Cole was too much grit for Habs brass so now they’re shopping Moen.

Frankly, I think Moen is a solid player. The problem is he’s been playing out of position his entire time here. He should be on the 4th line and nowhere else.

• kitbeyer says:

Moen is one of those guys you can’t really say anything bad about. He does everything he can and more with the amount of talent he was doled out. He’s an easy guy to have on your team because you know exactly what he will deliver every game. Problem is he has been expected to mop up for other guys who aren’t quite so reliable after they crap their proverbial beds. Never heard him complain about a thing.

49. Mothstoflame says:

Travis Moen “I can play with a scar on my face, but i cannot play without my eye” pretty sure he missed 1 or 2 games, Warrior on ice, would be sad to see him go.

On another topic!

Do you think Cole will take Josh gorges number 26?

50. TorontoHabsFan says:

Habs talking trade with Chicago about their RFAs?

OH PLEASE JEEBUS LET IT BE FROLIK!!

51. slychard says:

I loved Hammer on our team and wish him luck in DC except against the Habs. Started to listen to the audio conference but sound was so bad and the stock, lifeless and robot like statements from him made me bail out after 30 seconds knowing I’m not missing a thing. Can’t wait to see Spacek leave. Should have been the other way around.

52. ProHabs says:

After the Colorado goalie trade with Washington yesterday, Pierre McGuire decides it is important to bring up on the air what Montreal got for Halak last year. Then he goes on and says that poor Brian Burke was handcuffed by the previous management in Toronto that there is nothing he can do.

Why didn’t he bring up the move by Burke in Anahiem to give up a very good goalie in Brygalov to Pheonix for FREE. What about that deal McGuire.

53. Neutral says:

maybe a mistake letting pouliot go, he would have been a good 4th liner Bostons gain Habs loss…..

• Ian Cobb says:

I think you are wrong my friend, Boston got worse and we got a lot better with Cole.

• cheezboie says:

Pouliot along with Gomez are the players that made me yell at the television last year. They can have him I like Cole on the first line and AK46 taking Pouliot’s spot on the third.

p.s. Rangers can have Richards at 6.67 million over nine years for a concussion prone 31 year old!?! Crazy contracts over the last few days.

54. cheezboie says:

I won’t Boo Hammer – I wish him well. However we already have a Czech Grandpa making over 3.5mill. KONOPKA!!!

My armchair GM 11/12 Habs –
    rough salary guess-timates in brackets = cap hit of 61.694 mill
    leaving 2.606 million for adding sandpaper (cap ceiling 64.3 million)

Camm 6 – Pleks 5 – Cole 4.5
    MaxPac 1.625 – Desharnais 0.850 – Gio 5
    Darche 0.7 – Eller 1.27 – AK46 (off-wing) 3.25
    Moen 1.5 – Engqvist 0.900 – White (0.9)
    Gomez 7.357 (try to dump on a team that needs to fill cap floor)

First call up – Russell?

Markov (lefty) 5.75 – Gorges (lefty) (3)
    Gill (lefty) 2.25 – Subban (righty) 0.875
    Yemelin (lefty) 0.984 – Spacek (lefty) 3.833
    Weber (righty) 0.850 (can also use as RW/PP specialist a la Streit)
    Diaz (righty) 0.9

first call up – Nash (lefty)

Price 2.75
    Budaj 1.15

-0.5 Laraque buyout
    (would be better if could move Gomez and/or Spacek)

Gomez for captain of the Hamilton Bulldogs?

• Chuck says:

I get your Gomez hate, but you’ll have a tough time convincing me that the Habs would be any sort of playoff team with your bottom three centres making 3 million total.

• cheezboie says:

I know what you’re saying I just hope Gomez is working on a comeback this summer. It was painful to watch last year – How bout this –

Camm 6 – Pleks 5 – Cole 4.5
        MaxPac 1.625 – Gomez 7.357– Gio 5
        Darche 0.7 – Desharnais 0.850 – AK46 (off-wing) 3.25
        Moen 1.5 – Engqvist 0.900 – White (0.9)
        Eller 1.27 (Plug into third line duty when healthy – then White centers Darche & Moen)

First call up – Russell?

Markov (lefty) 5.75 – Gorges (lefty) (3)
        Gill (lefty) 2.25 – Subban (righty) 0.875
        Yemelin (lefty) 0.984 – Spacek (lefty) 3.833
        Weber (righty) 0.850 (can also use as RW/PP specialist a la Streit)
        Diaz (righty) 0.9

first call up – Nash (lefty)

Price 2.75
        Budaj 1.15

55. habsfansince91 says:

talks are starting on twitter that habs and blackhawks are talking trade. The guy who brought it up was Tim Sassone. Anyone know if he’s credible?

56. habs_r_us says:

Looking over the upcoming 2012 defence core of the montreal canadiens. i’ve analyzed potential tandems based on playing style and what would generate the best on ice chemistry.

gorges,subban
    markov,weber
    gill,yemelin

1. gorges and subban have the mobility and durability to play top end minutes at first thought gill would play this role but he doesn’t have the legs to be playing 25 minutes p/night which is the ice time subban will be playing. gorges is in his prime and can play this role perfectly

2. markov and weber, Most people have yemelin and markov playing together based on the russian connection however i think weber would be most beneficial playing with markov they are both mobile one is a shooter and one is a passer they both make great outlet passes which should result in a great pair. Weber will be the triggerman of markovs feeds.

3. gill and yemelin, gill is the perfect tutor for yemelin they both play a stayhome style and yemelin will learn from gill when to pick his spots for the big hit. gill will be there to back yemelin up on the occasion he steps up on a player for a hit and can be nice shutdown duo with some sandpaper.

• Bigdawg says:

Where’s Spacek, the +/- leader on the habs last year??? Everyone here throws him under the bus and its just wrong. Poor, poor kitty, I mean Spacek.

He can be a second pair on a lesser team (a la Gill). As a number 5/6 he is overpaid but also more than qualified.

• habs_r_us says:

im sure he will get duties in replacement of an injury id say we need one more cheap stay home dman such as mara or sopel so that we dont have to waste 3rd-6th round picks on them later in the season

id play weber over spacek at this point weber is a very good defenceman and he deserves his chance to play this year just as subban did last year and i dont see spacek playing with gill being very effective

If Gorges gets an offer from another club, all we have to do is match it,! Right??
    That is a QUESTION>!

I think he is a very big part of our club.

I wish the Hammer well. he played way over the minuets he should have played last year and was fantastic for his age.

58. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I liked Hamrlik alot, and would much rather he be on the roster than Spacek. But even if we were to move Spacek, you wouldn’t make any ground with the gap signing Hamrlik to the contract he got. Oh well…

as far as the current roster, Cole was a good pick-up, a little pricey, and we might not be too happy about it in year 4, but these next 2 or 3 years should be full value. I would be more concerned about his age if he didn’t have exceptional speed to begin with…

What next? Colorado has traded away their 1st and 2nd round pick. Would anyone here trade them a 1st with Gomez for Stastny? Or would it need a 1st AND 2nd?

Still a supporter of Anthony Stewart on the third line. We need power forwards who will crash the net on the top three lines, not just to round them out, but to ensure that one or two unfortunate injuries doesn’t make our offense as small as it was last year.

• rogieshan says:

I don’t feel the Cole deal is too pricey. Fleischman got the exact, same deal from Florida and I believe Cole is a better fit of the two with us. On the other hand, giving up anything for Gomez would be way too “pricey.”

• Jonson says:

that would a great deal for the habs. statsny is really good

59. Maksimir says:

Richards to NYR … good that’s where good hockey players go to get big money and then whither away…

ooops sorry Gomer..

60. Bigdawg says:

HOW much will these BUMS make next year:

DRURY
    ARNOTT
    SCOTT NICHOL
    ZENON
    PROSPAL
    LANGENBRUNNER
    MORRISON
    CONNOLLY
    GAGNE

Habs still need one more in the bottom 6 and likely have a little wiggle room for a one year deal. Can it be done to grab one of these guys on the cheap? Should it be done? Who? Who else?

-Yes I’m crazy, you wanna fight about it???

61. mrhabby says:

cole signing was a must for me. if you can’t draft a big forward or trade then July 1 is the only way. the term is a little long but you either go for it or go home. i wonder how he is going to fit in the JR system scarey. iam still hoping PG finds an animal for the 4th line. could care less if he plays 2 minutes. team still needs to push back.

lots of talk about the cap floor. i get why there is one but honestly why even have it anymore. seems silly in a way. lots of teams spending big bucks like jackets, panthers, yotes and they still will not get to the playoffs. let the teams do what they have to do and the let the pieces fall where they will.

62. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I wonder if Richards has a clause in his new contract with the Rangers that says Sather can’t send him to the minors when he goes into a scoring slump?? :lol:

63. CHsam says:

Im just glad Tampa didn’t sign Pouliot. If there’s one coach out there who could figure Benny out and work him into a 25 goal scorer, it’s probably Guy Boucher

64. edgar_falcon says:

i find a lot of people complained about trying to sign hammer but i was hoping he would sign with that habs he was a good defense man (great for his age). yes he was slowing down a bit, but if he wasn’t doing a good job he wouldn’t have been getting 20+ min of ice time while markov was injured. i will miss him in habs uniform but none the less i think it will end up being a good thing he is no longer here.
    best of luck to ya hammer!!!

65. 123456 says:

no comments on the richards signing yet? he will be what 40 when the deal is done?? i’ll admit i’d love to swap him and gomer but that’s a lot of money. . . .

• savethepuck says:

Got to agree. I haven’t seen the breakdown of the contract but it has to be a front loaded one.

• Ian Cobb says:

I sure would not want Richards, (I do not mean BRAD RICHARDS) He leads with his mouth. He can play yes, but destroys the room with his self centered attitude! Philly got rid of their captain for a reason.

66. Chips says:

I think letting Hammer walk is a mistake. I would have had no problem giving 2 years. He was such a rock for us and if you take away some minutes and play him more against 3rd or 4th lines, he would have been an asset. He rarely gets hurt and seems very resilient. A little less offense would have helped mitigate his slowing down a few steps.

25 in 2012

This year we have a very competitive club, as long as Gauthier gets Gorges and White signed. (Is there anyone else?)

We are very much better than Boston or any other club for that matter. As long as we don’t have the horrific injury season of last season. We will be enjoying our parade in the spring.

The unknown injury factor playing Jacques defensive first style, is my most concern. Most injuries occur on the defensive side of the puck in hockey. And guess what style of play we live or die by.!

So having great depth under contract will be key again this year.

We are younger, faster, with more discipline. One question is, who will be our special teams coach now that Muller has moved on. And while we are at it, who is going to teach how to win a face off or two, now that Jarvis has moved on and improved Boston in that capacity.?

68. HabFanSince72 says:

Nothing against Hamr – he played well but it was time for him to retire. How he got $7M out of the Caps is a mystery to me.

But one thing I don’t get is people who say he was a good mentor to younger players. He doesn’t look like the guy who talks much or teaches the young ones – except maybe on how to party with mobsters.

• Dave Stubbs says:

Tell you what: spend even one MINUTE in the Canadiens room speaking to Roman Hamrlik, or watching him in practice working with the young defencemen, talking to them, and I suspect you won’t make the comment you just have.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
      Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
      • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
      • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• SeriousFan09 says:

2 of Dion Phaneuf’s three best career seasons all came from playing next to Roman Hamrlik. He’s had that credit for his entire career, granted he did not mesh well with Subban on the ice but he’s done a lot for many young players in his long career.,

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

Nobody has mentioned it, but the Pens getting Steve Sullivan for 1.5M is a good move. He’ll certainly be able to line up alongside a great centre in October. I guess it’s Plan B after Jagr went to Philly. Hope he can stay healthy.

70. Propwash says:

Hammer was a rock for us, I wish him all the best.

CRUSH HIM COLE! lol

71. RockinRey says:

I would have loved to kept him over Spacek but that is life. Too bad the Habs didn’t do a better job of integrating some younger d and drafting better they could have flipped both for something .

72. t1tan5 says:

I would like to thank Hammer for his hard work and service to this team. I hope he gets a very warm reception when the Caps visit Montreal this year.

73. BJ says:

Great player for us over the years. Sorry to see him go but he is getting on in age and we have to try out our younger players.

• Aaron13 says:

He said after the playoffs that he would retire probably because he was running on fumes.

He was a great player, as you said, but it was obvious he has slowed down considerably. Best wishes to him.

74. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

PG >>>>>> WE NEED ONE MORE 20 GOAL WINGER!!

DO IT!!!

• BJ says:

We let one go in Pouliot (if only we had a coach that knew how to handle him). I really think he is a 25 goal scorer. He should get that with Boston. I think we need more toughness and size than a 20 goal scorer. Unless PG can find a 20 goal scorer with those attributes that won’t brake the bank.

• Aaron13 says:

He was not Martin’s type of player – nifty. He’ll do well in BOS. Best wished to him as well.

• savethepuck says:

I’d like to wish best wishes to Pouliot too because I liked him, but I can’t because he’s a Bruin now. I hope he sucks.

• Aaron13 says:

Yes, we do, but is there cap space? Pouliot, a potential 20-goal scorer with proper coaching, was another one that got away. Sad to see this kid leave.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

pouliot was a horrible skater who was out of position all the time, i dont like seeing him in boston, i feel he will turn out to be a micael ryder over there,

buti feel as though he hurt our team more then he helped, best of luck to him, now lets get a real consitent 20 goal scoring threat
        it will complete this team so much

75. RockinRey says:

Hammer did an admirable job logging absolutely huge minutes while subbing for Markov during his injury absences .Wish him all the best except when Was plays the Habs.

• 24 Cups says:

You’re right. Just think what would have happened if we didn’t have Hamrlik during the past two years when Markov was hurt. I think it’s safe to say we probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs.

Kudos to him for grabbing a two-year deal for $7M as a +35 player.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Draft Lottery or at least Top 10, HH’s dream.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• 24 Cups says:

Right now, it’s Washington’s dream, Robert!

I still can’t believe that Colorado made that deal (and threw in a 2nd rounder).

There’s a very good chance the Avs won’t make the playoffs next season, which means Washington gets a possible lottery pick (Larsson). Failing that, they’re going to get two picks in the top 40 for a guy who they didn’t even want and who almost went back to Russia.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Larsson was drafted this year Steve. They are licking their lips over the idea of giving Ovechkin a teammate like Galchenyuk, Yakupov or Grigorenko though.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• 24 Cups says:

Robert – I know Larsson was drafted this year! I was using him as the example of what a lottery pick might turn out to be.

Would Jersey trade Larsson for Varlomov? Or how about Landeskog/Huberdeau?

This is the worst roll of the dice since the laffs traded for Kurvers.

76. t1tan5 says:

He’s either going to sign with the Ducks or retire.

77. HabFanSince72 says:

New username, LA Loyalist?

78. Mark C says:

Can’t be him, Gomez wasn’t slandered in the post.

How about no. And no.

80. hirky says:

I think Florida is going to sign everyone set to retire just to add contracts to their cap. They are not getting to the cap floor any other way. I say trade Gomez to FLA for Weiss(he wants out anyways) or Frolik. Not only would that make us younger but we would get a player that lights the lamp once and awhile. :) The one thing i would miss if Gomez was gone, is his ability to carry the puck up the ice. No one else on the Habs does that.

And it would have had to include trading Gomez for Koivu.

82. SyntaxLove says:

FLA is already at the floor more or less.

83. drivefor25 says:

The Panthers traded Frolik to Chicago this past spring….

Fan since ’71