Tired Habs take a break to visit sick kids in hospitals

After playing three games in four nights – and eight games in 14 nights – Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his tired players a day away from the rink on Monday.

Instead the players headed to the Montreal Children’s and Sainte-Justine hospitals on Monday afternoon for their annual Christmas visits to bring some holiday cheer to sick kids and their families.

“To me it’s special,” Canadiens captain Brian Gionta told reporters at Sainte-Justine on Monday about the team’s annual hospital visits.

“Obviously with three young kids (at home) and we’ve spent some time … at the Children’s Hospital before. The work that they do and everything that they are. … It’s tough days when you’re there. Hopefully you can bring a smile to some of the kids faces. You range from people that are here long-term or short term. But if you can make them forget about things for a little bit, it’s special.”

The Canadiens will play their final home game before Christmas on Tuesday night when the Phoenix Coyotes visit the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“We played 11 games in less than three weeks,” Therrien told reporters after Sunday night’s 2-1 loss to the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre. “Energy-wise, I could tell they were drained. And when you’re drained, there’s no more juice, physically, you’re tired. When you’re physically tired, your execution is not quite there. You make bad decisions mentally. It goes hand in hand. What we’ve been asking of that group in the last three weeks, it’s really demanding.

“They’re human beings. They’re good athletes, but they give what they’ve got. So tomorrow they’re going to have a day off at the rink. They’re going to go visit the young kids in the hospital and we’re going to regroup for our next game (against Phoenix) Tuesday.”

After Tuesday’s game, the Canadiens visit the St. Louis Blues on Thursday and the Nashville Predators on Saturday before enjoying a one-week break in the schedule. Their first post-Christmas game will be on Saturday, Dec. 28 in Tampa.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Habs brighten day of sick children, by Brenda Branswell

Canadiens’ offence struggles again in loss to Panthers, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens get day off to regroup, by Pat Hickey

Habs bogged down, but not by snow, by Dave Stubbs

Winter of discontent, Canadiens.com

Parros sustains concussion, NHL.com

Hockey Night in Florida a real bargain, Stu on Sports blog

Coyotes’ road trip features must-win games, phoenixcoyotes.com

Q&A with Coyotes coach Tippett (video), phoenixcoyotes.com

Bruins’ Lucic involved in bar altercation, montrealgazette.com

Bruins’ Thornton appeals 15-game suspension, TSN.ca

I was wrong on name earlier, Bodie was the fighters name. And he just had another tilt, this time with a smaller Sill and it was another wild fight.

2. gmoan says:

…. Or who’s more disposable

3. gmoan says:

It didn’t sound like a discussion of who’s more valuable rather than who’s doing better

4. gmoan says:

Rds were discussing the habs situation, who to possibly trade and why. Not once did they mention DDH, not because he’s un-tradable but because he’s doing ‘well’ now! Of course, Eller is a potential trade prospect… Wow!

New Panthers owner can’t wait to spend some money this off season, perhaps he would like to spend some now and pick up a talented diminuitive center?

For the fight lovers out there, Bortuzzo and Brodie of the Leafs just had a massive tilt.

7. Bill says:

On 24ch you can hear on one episode where Prust tells Chuck: “just remember you’re the best player on this team”. I tend to agree, and I wonder if a braver coach wouldn’t be giving him the ball some more?

• JohninTruro says:

Bill I didn’t think he said that, I believe it sounded like that but he corrected himself and said “on this line, when I am on the line” or something to that affect.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Gally has incredible skills, but I still haven’t seen that ability to completely take over every shift like Ovechkin or some of the other elite guys can.

Maybe it’s still coming sometime in the future once he gets older, but he reminds me of a Backstrom type player that can put up huge points but nots ouch control the game. Backstrom is an awesome, so that’s not a bad thing that’s for sure.

I saw it primarily as Prust trying to build up Galchenyuks confidence. I think Alex is very very hard on himself and is by no means an egotistical superstar type personality.

Prust seemed to be doing a good job of pumping the kids tires. Liked what I saw from Prust in that clip.

8. jimmy shaker says:

What I miss:

Richer coming down the wing and letting a howitzer rip to the top shelf where grandma keeps the peanut butter, and Courtnall and McPhee who were masters at this move…..coming down the wing faking the big slapshot, getting the goalie to bite on the fake, making that ever slight move to create that almost impossible angle and bang home the empty netter. Jeff Halpern did it his first stint around with the habs, but it has been an extinct move for a while now!

Shaker out!

9. Mondou6 says:

Somehow I don’t feel like bitching about hockey anymore when I see the team visiting a children’s hospital.

Thanks for the perspective and a nice story! :)

10. Danno says:

That Diane Phanuffe makes an excellent pylon

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

39 seconds in, 1-0 Penguins.

12. Rossy says:

Great photo of a classy Parros–sick with a concussion, but recognizes how special the handshake is to a sicker kid in hospital.

13. Mr. Biter says:

Ah the wining in Winnipeg these days. Last year it was finally out of the East and we get to play more games in our time zone. Now it’s please let us back into the East and F@#K the time zone.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

Hey Ron, been meaning to ask you what the mood is like there these days. I think Winnipeg is going to start making some trades, that ownership/mgmt group can’t just continually to appear to be unwilling to spend big money and expect fans to show up. Any thoughts?

I will not be attending Winnipeg this Christmas, going to stay a little warmer here in Burlington. CHeers bud, I should be heading back home this Summer or perhaps Easter, maybe this time I can make sure I make the time for us to share a pint or two bud.

• IdleNoMore says:

Fans will keep showing up no matter what. It’s winnipeg there is nothing else to do. Bomber ticket prices just went up and people keep buying them

“He was chewing Juicy Fruit gum, I didn’t know whether to shake his hand or kiss him”

I recognize they will continue to sell out, and they still have a waiting list, but the fans will grow frustrated. And if the team chooses to wait until fans stop showing up before acting, it can be too late. It did happen before afterall. ( I am also aware of the many different factors, but reality is that is a small market and thing could turn quickly)

• Mr. Biter says:

The way the Bombers played this year they should be paying the fans to come see the games. You won’t find me going to any Football games. Parking, driving to and leaving and entering the Stadium is crazy. Only 100Million over budget or more than that. We watch the games at the lake anyway and you can drink all you want and not worry about any alerts or such.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Mr. Biter says:

Well HIB, the natives are getting restless and wailing about the move to the new conference. They’ve had some extra tickets popping up for games but probably season ticket holders not going to some games. Kane’s name has been popping up daily as trade bait and he supposedly isn’t happy here (for the last week it’s been -40C with wind chill) I don’t blame him. A little warmer tonight so I’m off to get a Christmas tree. But just like this site everyone places high value on the Jet players and some of the trades offered are worse than the ones we see here , no disrespect intended to anyone.
        If Jets are not within 10 points of 8th place by New Year there could be a fire sale and a coaching change, but really they don’t have the horses to compete right now. Having said that the Jets Ice Cleaning crew has a Tall Blonde who probably keeps beer sales down between time outs. A real Fox even in Tight Sweatpants.
        Have yourself a Merry Christmas and a Happy New and perhaps if your coming back next year we’ll down a pint. Also depending on the timing really going to try to make the Summit next year.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

14. habs_54321 says:

Copying this from Erik Engels blog:

The Canadiens were on top of their game with the following combinations:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Briere (Moen)-Plekanec-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
    Moen (Briere)-White-Bournival

One dramatic loss to the Kings, and everything needed to be turned upside down. It looked like Therrien broke the blender over the last couple of games.

Last night, he finally put Gallagher back with Pacioretty and Desharnais, and the trio finally looked like they had a bit of energy.

Briere hasn’t looked good next to Pacioretty and Desharnais at all. The line just doesn’t work. But, he played his best hockey so far next to Gionta and Plekanec. Why not tap into that?

So, Galchenyuk and Eller were slumping a bit with Prust, but there’s enough talent and energy there to bust out of it.

At a certain point, even with energy waning, you need some consistency, otherwise chemistry is impossible to come by.

15. Strummer says:

Check out Christine Simpson on Sportsnet.
    Great broadcasting and interviewing skills.

Nice knowing you Cassie. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

16. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

In the category of “at least that’s not happening here”: Senators “owner” Eugene Melnyk has this to say as a hockey expert: “I mean we are 32, 33 games into the season. It’s about time that we start getting into some streaks,” he said. “Nothing beats a nice six, seven or eight game winning streak. Give me six out of eight and I’ll be happy.” His insight leaves me breathless.

Love the tweet from Dave Hodge couple hours ago regarding Shawn Thornton and why he is appealing.

2 hours ago
    TSNDaveHodge: I believe the basis for Shawn Thornton’s appeal is that Don Cherry thought he should get 10 games.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It is a risky thing to do, agree with Grapes, but I do have to agree.

These guys aren’t playing suflleboard or baseball here. Can you blame Thornton for what he did? What do people think Prust would have done if Galchenyuk was concussed by a huge hit and then Gallagher was intentionally kneed in the back of the head?

Habs fans would have been ecstatic if Prust reacted they way Thornton did as long as Orpik didn’t end up with a concussion. All the commotion is because Orpik suffered a concussion.

Thornton would have got a double minor for roughing if Orpik didn’t have a glass jaw and it would have all been forgotten 24hrs later.

• sirs81 says:

But a player got hurt there is no ifs or buts. It just is. It was dirty to see. Even tough Orpik deserved what he got. Still a dirty hit and does not belong in hockey. Hockey gods have a funny way of working things out.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Except whatever appetite for retribution we all might have, don’t you think the fact that the act was dirty would divide posters here?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Whatever the case may be, the Penguins were playing just as dirty as Thornton was. I think a knee to the back of the head is much worse and has a greater chance of causing injury than a punch. The Pittsburgh player should have gotten more games than Thornton, IMO.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m with you on that, Hobie. What Neal did was scummy.

Do you have a view on Downie faking a head impact? I think all of those guys should have seriously lengthy suspensions followed by long probations with dire sanctions for lapses.

• Mr. Biter says:

the knee should have been 10 games. He aimed right for the back of the head. Should be an interesting game the next time these 2 teams play.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You run the risk of rubbing the people, who apparently long for soccer on ice, the wrong way. I wish Thornton played for us. Grit wins games. Fear works. This is a man’s game and there is some risk of injury involved. I’ve always assumed that’s why they are PAID SO MUCH.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• Mr. Biter says:

I don’t like what Thornton did because it reminds me of the Moore incident. I like good fights in hockey and if Prust did what Thornton did I would not be happy at all. He could have waited till the next time they were out and let them both go at mano to mano. Sucker punching still makes me mad and I remember Louis Sleigher did that to a Hab during a playoff game vs. the Nordiques and cost the Hab player his sight in one eye ending his career.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• slapshot777 says:

That was Jean Hamel.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

18. jimmy shaker says:

For some reason, I was looking back to the 89 team that lost to the flames, and for the life of me could not believe that these types of players contributed to 280 goals. They seem like a tenacious group of checkers. I’ll let someone fill in the lines for me……..but here are the names.

Richer, Naslund, Bobby Smith, Claude Lemieux, Keane, Corson, Courtnall, Gainey, McPhee, Walter, Carboneau, Skrudland, LeBeau, Gilchrist and on the D

Chelios, Robinson, Svoboda, Ludwig, Green, Lalor, schneider, Desjardins, lumme

Roy, Hayward and red light

Shaker out!

• piper says:

Probably the best Habs team since the seventies. And don’t forget John Kordic. Or was he traded through the year?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Lanny hoisting the Cup at the Forum remains for me the worst and most painful of all Hab memories.

Watched the final couple games while visiting a brother in Saskatchewan. He is a Leaf fan, and he had a ton of Flames buddies from Alberta over to watch. It was one of the worst sporting memories I have. Lanny scoring that goal had me practically throwing up. I immediately stopped watching, whenever, the highlight comes up with Lanny and the Cup I have to close my eyes.

The only saving grace was Edmonton didn’t win the Cup, had they won that one, could have been 5 in a row and most likely would be considered greatest Dynasty in NHL history, thankfully that didn’t happen. ;-)

Edit: As pointed out by Kalevine below, I am wrong about the breaking up of Oilers Dynasty when it was our Cup win in 86 which did that.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Burly, your description is seriously, uncannily similar to the way I experienced it.

I suspect many of us experienced in ways similar, CHeers bud. Did some searching for the backing tracks for Bob and Doug’s 12 days of Christmas to no avail.

Ask again later today and maybe again tomorrow. I know there are some real musical geniuses on this site, I seem to recall Kooch, Mike D and some others talking about music and perhaps they know a way to get the back tracks to that song.

Thanks for the tip!
            It’s a very important cause, isn’t it?!

Wasn’t there a McCains Oven Fries commercial featuring Lanny soon after that Cup? Several tv sets were lost in our household as a result.

• kalevine says:

actually it was Habs beating flames in 86 that landed smack in the middle of a 5 year run for Edmonton. That Habs team of 88-89 dominated their opposition all year. Their run to the final was equally breathtaking, but in the end the Flames were a bit better, as they had been all season

Oh shoot your right, sorry about that. Okay, there is nothing good I can find in losing that 89 Cup then! Thanks kalevine.

• jimmy shaker says:

That and Al MacInnis shooting bombs from the point. I wonder who was the smallest guy on that team? Probably Naslund, Is there any comparison to make between the two teams?

shaker out!

• Rossy says:

But weren’t the fans classy, staying and applauding the Cup winners!

19. Caesar says:

Up date on my below post: My son is great thanks, in fact the worlds biggest PITA that I know (my wife might differ on that).
    But life is amazing when you get to leave where many never do! I’m really blessed.
    The event might be a PR idea at the top levels but the players are genuine and it gives something to them to be there also. A lot of “red eyes” in the corridors on those guys. Also makes me think on Gionta and his family earlier this year.

And Doug Smail, wow there’s a name I have not heard in years

20. Dunboyne Mike says:

Speaking of class:

In my role here in Ireland as a cultural ambassador for all things Canadian, I hope to (steal and) perform the Bob and Doug Mackenzie “12 Days of Christmas” at two Christmas concerts this weekend.

I’ve had no luck finding the backing-track to that sketch or a karaoke version (the best I could was something “in the style” of B and D’s 12 Days.

Can any of ye suggest where I might try?

Cheers

21. port elgin says:

Habs are tired, they have a tough grinding schedule. The other 29 teams have it much easier, lots of time off between games, easier opponents.

No excuses….remember

22. Mr. Biter says:

The other day someone compared Parros to Big George and I don’t know how they could post that.. Parros never had a concussion till the mishap with Orr this year and now this. Was not Vegan and while Parros has done his best to help the Habs in his role not like Little George’s attempt to hurt the team until they paid him to stay away from the Habs.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

23. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Obvious that the Habs need a game breaking scorer, but they’re tough to come by.

Moulson, an Edmonton Oiler maybe….who else would even be available?

Good to see Drouin is back on ice practising, with Canadian Jr. National Team.

25. goaliehabsfan says:

Without adequate recovery time between games, the teams performance is going to suffer. There’s no way around that, it’s just a fact. How much it suffers though, is where coaching comes into play. I think I remember he scheduled an extra practice in sometime over the last 2 weeks, that was probably a mistake, and a day off to regroup could have made a difference. I also have to wonder about the ice times for different players, with a heavy schedule like the one we’ve seen, I’d have opted to roll 3 lines more evenly, and try to give the 4th line a larger role. It’s not like anyone has been on their game enough to merit extra ice time in the last 4, so why not spread out the load to be better prepared for the next game?

So, while fatigue is a legitimate factor in the outcome of the last few games, it’s not an excuse for losing. I think MT has mismanaged the team through a rough stretch and deserves at least part of the blame here.

26. Psycho29 says:

Here’s all you need to see…awesome picture below :

George Parros‏ @GeorgeParros
    ” Making some final rounds at CHU Sainte-Justine. She spoke Greek French and English

27. CranbrookEd says:

Shawn Thornton to appeal his 15-game suspension . . . this is ridiculous! If the commish is going to be really doing his job, perhaps he could as a result of the appeal, increase the suspension to 25 games . . . zero respect for Thornton!

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

28. donmarco says:

When I read a headline that includes “visit sick kids” I have a real tough time getting upset by relatively trivial problems, many of which are noted here.

Christmas has always been a melancholy time for me. And this will be my first one without my Father.

Just for perspective this is a clip that I watch every year around now. It is from my favourite TV series, The West Wing.

To every parent with an ailing child, my thoughts are very much with you. And I’d bet everything I have, that any child who met a Hab today had a better day than any of us did. And may they have many more.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice post, DM. Sorry about your Dad — mine passed away in 2006. My hero, and we were very close. I have found that the missing gradually morphs into something very positive: talking about him with my kids or passing on his stories, thinking about what he would have said/done. He may be dead but his existence as a presence in my life continues. You know what kind of Christmas he’d like you to have.

Very well said about those kids and the Habs.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

DM, I’m also sorry about your Dad.

When I see these visits, I remember being really small and really sick and having Charlie Hodge show up, somewhere in the middle of a delirium.
        It may have been the first “holy crap did that really happen or was it the drugs” moment in my life, but it was also a kind thing from a guy who may have just been doing his duty, but who knew what his duty was. I had a signed photo on my dresser for most of elementary school.
        These things matter. Thanks to this year’s Habs for going.

• donmarco says:

Powerful. And thanks for writing this. Judging from your “name”, he really did leave a lasting impression on you. I’m sure many of the Habs, especially those wit children, find these days extremely difficult. And they wouldn’t give them up for the world.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wow — sizable number of posters here with direct experience of these visits.

• donmarco says:

Thanks Mike. He was my hero too, but far more than that, he was a good friend. My Great grandfather was the first fire chief in Montreal, and since my fathers passing I inherited most of the fire fighting photos and uniforms and now have what I guess he could call a shrine in a corner of my house. I recently cooked a pre Christmas dinner for 27 family members and the collection of memorabilia caught the the attention of everyone, even the newest 14 month old addition. I will make sure the memory lives on. Dad would have been happy.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yup, the greatest of friends, also.
          Would love to see that shrine some day. Love those big family dinners — no doubt your Dad was smiling down on that one! Cheers

29. Danno says:

Therien is saying the team is “drained” because of the demanding schedule.

What happened to “No Excuses?”

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

30. mrhabby says:

What is all this crap about trading Eller…a joke.

ps..Thorntons getting real good advice..douche.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bonsoir m. Lafleur and thank you for posting.

Poor Milan! CLEARLY he was entirely innocent, the victim of a wholly unprovoked attack, nothing whatsoever to do with clubbing downtown in the city that just spanked you 6-2 or with being a person who has inadequate control of his temper, a condition exacerbated by alcohol.

(I hadn’t realised about the defacing of his family’s church in 2011 — that really is too bad, and classless).

Oh well, another Lucic video clip — along go with gallantly taking out Ryan Miller, and ungallantly fleeing George Laraque — to store away in the family archive for when his less-than-a-year-old kid starts showing curious about Daddy’s job.

Lucic = natural gifts and class in inverse proportion.

31. Caesar says:

About the Habs visititing the local hospitals. All I can say is Kudos and thank you the the entire organisation for doing this. As a parent who was going through a real tough time in my family life dealing with all that comes with Neurosurgery on my 3 month old son I can tell you it’s really appreciated. I have to say the parents and nurses enjoy the distraction as much if not more than the kids. The players that exit the bus and file intot he hospital and proceed from floor to floor, do not know what just their very presence, even if just a minute, means to Montrealers when we are probably at the lowest point a parent could be. They will never see the anticipationand seeing every window filled with a child a pressed against it whil ethe bus pulls up and players file off one by one. They do not hear the kids name the players with absolute excitement as they get close enough to be recognised. They can not feel the buzz that fills the entire hospital as they enter. Good bad winners losers who cares they are part of the greatest professional franchise in the world. Real heros doinbg real hero things at that point. Giving back a little of their time to change a kids life it does not get better than that.

Thanks guys on behalf of all the kids, parents, and staff.
    Once you are on the tracks for surgery it is a whirlwind and you just blindly follow the directions of your doctor so that a 2 month old giving blood to store for an impending operation is not out of the ordinary for you. Spending hours in the hospital going from 1 dept to the other almost becomes normal to you. Then a circus arrives and the players take all the time they can to talk and hug and pose for pictures it’s amazing.
    Thank you for doing this and please continue it really makes a diferrence that can not be put into words–at least not by me.

• montreal ace says:

Ceasar over 55 years ago I was one of those kids, love the Habs and I love your post, all the best to your child and family.

• Bripro says:

Hats off to you and your child’s courage.

• Ian Cobb says:

Kevin–THANKS for expressing for all of us!! Nice job and Merry Christmas my friend. Hope things work out well for your family!
      Ian

• twilighthours says:

Thx for sharing. That was great

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wonderful post, Caesar, and I hope you and your family graduate beyond hospital-dependency. Sounds like it’s very tough, sounds like your kid has a great dad.

Also great to get a non-media, first-hand account of those player visits. I always approved them from afar, but not quite able to suppress suspicions of window-dressing. Your version wipes that out.

Thanks for sharing Caesar. I remember vividly when my older brother had to have brain surgery when he was in Grade 8 and I was in Grade 6. The timing of the surgery was such that I spent the entire Spring break at the Hospital while he recovered. During that time my oldest brother was able to arrange that Doug Smail of the Winnipeg Jets could come and visit my sick brother Rudy. Rudy wasn’t even a hockey fan but was through the roof that a pro athlete would come in and see him, also gave him a stick and a jersey and a book with an autograph in it. It meant so much to Rudy, too bad his younger brother took the game used, team autographed stick and destroyed in road hockey during his stay in the hospital though.

32. The Puckhound says:

In your opinion, has Marc Bergevin been doing a good job as GM?

Go to the net and keep your stick on the ice!

• Steeltown Hab says:

Appeasing the the french BS, he’s got an A+.

Actual personnel moves and contracts I’d give him a C+

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• mrhabby says:

ask in 5 years…thats the time line.

ps..he has been in the job about 1 year.

• wildwilly says:

I think under the circumstances, Bergevin is doing well. Many of the teams that are power houses now were bottom feeders about five years ago. Boston? Chicago? LA? Even Pittsburgh stunk before Crosby and Malkin.

Montreal does not have the luxury of finishing last three or four years in a row. The city would not tolerate it. Unfortunately, a first round exit is considered a success. We are doomed to mediocrity until everyone’s mindset changes.

I will lay off Bergevin until 2016…

• Just a Habs Fan says:

The fans seemed to have put up with a mediorce team for a few years since their last cup in 93………this team has had very poor management for some time now and there is no evidence that has changed much with MB

• Psycho29 says:

MB is in his first full season as GM, he’s doing a good job so far. Lets see in 2-4 seasons where we are.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Well said, Psycho. No way should we condemn MB — 1 1/2 seasons is nowhere near enough time to act on a vision. Any moves that people didn’t like — perhaps believing they could have done better — will almost certainly prove to be stop-gaps measures and the best of a bad situation. I agree with your “let’s wait and see” but would suggest closer to the 4-season end of your range. Cheers

33. Trollhunter says:

i remember a couple of people were disappointed the Habs drafted Connor Crisp. his skating needs improving granted, but that can always be worked on. He scored the majority of his goals around the net last year which translates well for the NHL since the majority of goals are scored around the paint. He`s 6`4“ now. Still 225 lbs. Can be a good bottom six player the Habs could use in a few years.

Anyways I wanted to post this video after i saw the game but I completely forgot lol. Found it on youtube:

he outbattles Edm oilers first round pick Darnell Nurse in front of the net to send the game into overtime then flat out destroys Tolchinsky(even though Tolchinsky is a small player its still impressive). And then gets the shootout winner for the Wolves :)

All in all a good prospect the habs will hopefully help develop into a player this team desperately needs in our bottom 6.

34. galchenyuk27 says:

There is only 9 active coaches with Stanley cups. That includes Bob Hartley with a very stacked avs team.

35. frontenac1 says:

Have no fear amigos! Mojo having a bit of a rest now. It will awaken. Parros is a Key. If he’s done, get a new heavyweight.
    It is important. Saludos!

36. adadi says:

Cry me a river coach. Every team has a tough schedule. The Flyers having back to back games before they played the Habs got in at two in the morning after being pounded by the Hawks. Sorry but that is a Bs excuse. It sounds more like MT and MB protecting themselves.

37. shiram says:

Bergevin should look outside the box in trying to improve the team.
    I suggest signing these pro sports athlete for immediate benefit.
    Hong Man Choy, he probably never learned how to skate, but has full MMA accreditation and at 7’2” and 350 pounds, he could do wonders for our blueline.

For a pugnacious fourth liner, how about Bob Sapp, this 6’5” 330 pound “Beast” is known for his power punches and his imposing physique. His background in football and wrestling are bound to be a huge boon to our fledgling fourth line.

Get those 2 guys and I’m sure the Habs won’t be the smallest team by average.

Posting a little nonsense because I’m bored.
    Hab wise I got a dreadful feeling they are about to trade Eller, and I won’t like the return.

Hah… I didn’t know it happened on saturday

“The Bruins and Canucks have had an antagonistic relationship since Boston won the 2011 Stanley Cup on Rogers Centre ice in a testy seven-game series. In Saturday’s game, Bruins forward Brad Marchand celebrated a goal by mimicking lifting the Cup and pretending to kiss his championship ring.”

• Dr.Rex says:

You are the Brad Marchand of this site. Every site needs one I guess. No hard feelings.

• Habsolutely says:

What a great, humble guy he is….

• Steeltown Hab says:

Dont ever compare Gallagher to Marchand, he’s a puke.

Gallagher has class that’s the difference. Hustle on the ice and general willingness to cross the line shouldn’t be mistaken as similar traits because both guys happen to be of similar size.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

If I was a coach and Marchand was my player i’d send him to the pressbox, clearly the guys content with winning a cup a couple years ago, why even play the game.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• mrhabby says:

Marchand..to bad that hit by Neal was not harder ..way harder.

• Mattyleg says:

He didn’t even score.

They were destroyed so Marchand tried to salvage some ‘pride’ by doing that.

What a douche.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey gal27, usually agree with your posts but not when you equate Gallagher with Marchand. There are of course similarities in terms of physique and competitiveness, and both are highly skilled, scoring forwards.

But I think Gallagher annoys opposing players by being so good and effective at what he does. I’m guessing most would welcome having him as a team-mate.

Marchand, on the other hand, generates hatred by being a cheap-shotting, obnoxious bollox.

A distinction so huge it wipes out the similarities.

39. Dr.Rex says:

I find it hilarious that people criticize the job MB is doing as GM. But then again we are living in a confused world these days so I cant say I am surprised.

Armchair GM’s really are a dime a dozen. I will save my dimes for something with more value like a dirty band aid.

40. The Jackal says:

MT sucks guys, that’s why he has a winning record as a coach with this patchwork roster. Good stuff.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habsolutely says:

It’s also why he couldn’t win a cup with one of the best rosters in the NHL…

• Steeltown Hab says:

A goalie and defensemen who are in the conversation for best at their position.

Two reliable two-way centers who bring offense (Plekanec, Eller)
      Two top end young developing players (Galchenyuk, Gallagher)
      30 goal scoring power forward (Pacioretty)

PP specialist and veteran top 2 dman (Markov)

Ideal energy guys (Prust, Bournival)

Ya this team is patchwork. Diaz over Subban on the PK is also a great coaching decision.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• The Jackal says:

It is patchwork.
        A few good players doesn’t make a good team.
        There are big holes on this roster and the fixes are all temporary because we are in transition, and that’s good that we are letting our prospects develop, etc., but by no means are we a complete team.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

41. Ron says:

Thornton has told media he is appealing his suspension

• DipsyDoodler says:

He’s appalling alright.

• 24 Cups says:

That’s interesting seeing the league took an entire week to try and get it “just right”. Bettman and the league has to be totally pissed. I wonder if this move came from Thornton, the Bruins or the NHLPA.

• Eddie says:

The more I think of it, the more I think Beaulieu might be traded.

Beaulieu’s offensive style and defensive lapses will not fit into Therrien/Bergevin system.

Hate to say it but it could mean Eller will be delt as well, to protect Desharnais and to open a spot at center for Galchenyuk.

I really could see the Habs blundering here as the risk will be very high.

Some package including Beaulieu, Eller, could get you a 25 to 30 goal scorer, and including Eller means any team, even a contending team like Colorado could make the deal.

I think I’ll go walk my dog. Too much stress.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I don´t think that will happen but only in Montreal it seems like a possibility. 29 other teams would only laugh about the idea to trade Eller while keeping Desharnais.

• Trollhunter says:

That would be a shame. I had hopes Beaulieu would replace Markov (I use the term with hesitation. Its no easy task filling those skates). But with his offensive minded play and his finess I was hoping he could help plug that hole when Markie is no longer with us. But at the end of the day Nathan needs to realize that defense has to come first.

• Dr.Rex says:

By the time the appeal is heard it will be more then 15 games.

42. HUDSONHAB says:

Repost:
    Give Gio, Briere And Georges the rest of the games off til Christmas.
    Let the dice roll and start fresh after Saint Nick heads back north.
    Can’t hurt. May not make a difference either way so why not give them a break.

Merry Christmas.

….Hab4life….

43. rogieshan says:

The players are working hard and doing so with discipline (when was the last time Ryan White took a dumb penalty?), but when Therrien was hired he promised an exciting, up-tempo style, yet he has gone back to a more passive, conservative game without the big bodies to bang and crash to make it work. Advanced scouting from opposing teams has also figured out a way to neutralize the Habs offense by applying pressure up high on the defense. Question is whether Therrien is willing to make the necessary adjustments.

You Might Also Like would like you to know that Habs pre-season wraps up with back to back games against sens.

What is Parros’ Harvard degree in?

46. New says:

Kudos to the team and management for once again going to visit the kids. It takes some time and the press are all around, but it is really, really, a big deal for the kids. Such a small thing for such small people yet it means so much in the real world.

47. John Q Public says:

This is edited

• Da Hema says:

I am not Quebecois, but I lived in Chicoutimi for a year to learn french. Your comment that Briere is somehow “essential” to the bottom line of the Montreal Canadiens seems dubious to me. It does so because it implies that Quebecois(e) who cheer for the Canadiens are simply tribal fools, willing to support any French-Canadian player — no matter how ineffective he is — on this team. If it is true — which I highly doubt since it is the media and government elites that compel the French-first policy — then the Montreal Canadiens will never be anything more than a middling team operating under these conditions. I think the greatest obstacle for this organization is overcoming the dominant mindset established 15 years ago by its administrators that “small and quick” is the future of the NHL.

48. galchenyuk27 says:

How about Martin Jones and his second star of the week honors. What a stud nothings changed since pee wee hockey. Always had tough games against his weak teams solely based on him. We had easier games against Price and his brutal Williams Lake squad. Martin Jones is the man glad to see local boys I played with doing so good.

49. chrskwn says:

could parros’ situation be the pivotal point in ruling out fighting across the nhl? DISCUSS

50. Max_a_million says:

We have 5 players 5’9 or smaller, which is more than the entire Western Conference (almost a quarter of our payroll).
    Bergevin signed:
    Briere, Desharnais, Bouillon (9 million)

The ghost is responsible for:
    Gallagher and Gionta (5.685 million)

hmmmm

51. kalevine says:

Lost in all this is poor Drewiske. When does he get a chance?

52. Strummer says:

Anyone able to pull stats on where Habs rank in goals by defensemen by team?
    I got a feeling this may be a contributor tour our current anemic offensive output

_____________________________________________________
    “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

53. Steeltown Hab says:

Pacioretty – Eller – Briere
    Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gallagher
    Bourque – Bournival – Gionta (solid north/south 3rd line).
    Prust – White – Moen

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Bogie Man says:

Sorry it does not matter which way you slice and dice it you still get a very small team with no scoring ability. Moving the lines around proves that the coach is running out of options and the boys must be getting frustrated.

• Steeltown Hab says:

1st line 2- guys who are 6″2, 215+
        2nd line 6’1 196, 5’11 196, and Gallagher who’s a nail
        3rd line 6’2 215, 5’11 190, Small Gionta, has some grit

remove the smallest and softest guy, makes a huge difference

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

54. Bogie Man says:

This tired habs business is making the boys look really bad. There is not a team in NHL has the same or worse schedule as the Habs do. The boys should be embarrassed and all of them should request a meeting with the coach to discuss this. How will these guys keep motivated to play at their best if the coach keeps giving them too much slack? These guys do not want to play for their best friend, they want the coach to be inspirational. To remind them they are professionals who get paid significantly and that they cannot take a night off no matter the schedule. This is f***ing brutal and the first change I would make today if I was MB is to show MT the way to the old age retirement facility downtown Montreal. He is done like turkey dinner at thanksgiving!

55. Mr. Biter says:

Going to be a little creative with this post. Did not see last night’s game but was listening on TSN Radio and Boone’s Blog. Was remembering whose names were mentioned and who was not as it indicates who was doing something and who wasn’t. D-man and Budda excluded as only 2 goals against should win or get you at least a SOL point. First no one can blame Parros as he was out, but the only names I heard mentioned in the offensive zone were DD, Max, Galley’s and Gionta & White for a penalty. Did MT really shorten the bench or were there lots of spectators on the ice?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

56. thehammer says:

People love to panic. I don’t agree with the DD or Briere signing but I do like some other moves MB has made. I also like the way him and MT carry themselves and handle the team.

• Steeltown Hab says:

How you carry yourself vs results.

How Bergevin speaks to the media and reps the franchise is nice, but results matter. Until we break the language bs debate, the organization isn’t commited to winning.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Luke says:

If it’s only results that matter, well the Habs, MB & MT are doing quite well. #3 in the conference.

You may now begin to add qualifiers to your results that matter.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Oh yes it they are commited to winning as are all NHL teams….don’t you think the 2M $ a game ( estimated playoff revenue ) is incentive to win. The real issue and the most scary one is they don’t have the insight and or smarts to make the right moves. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know Daniel Briere wasn’t going to make a big impression with this team….4 M $ wasted really. George Paros is an old enforcer and most would have passed on him…I do agree with having an enforcer though……..DD signing was a short sighted thing by MB…Bullion was again a waste of dollars really. He is way too old……..yep it comes down to common sense and there is a lackof it I think…most teams struggle to guess who to sign…everyone is out to win though…some a better than others it seems.

57. habsguru says:

hoping MB does make a splash. good job staying high in the standings, but does anybody, ANYBODY think they will compete as a playoff team? I don’t mean cup contend, i mean just compete. last year was the most embarrassing playoff exit in my memory.

• shiram says:

If the 2010-11 team can make the conference final, I think this year’s team could too. Would need some luck, but then again, which team en route to the Cup does not need a bit of luck.

• kalevine says:

it was 2009-2010 – they had lights out by Halak sniping by Cammaleri, a brick wall in Hal Gill, competent and strong veteran defence in Hamlik and Spacek. I agree that was a very embarrassing exit last year, and I would guess there are very few teams even in the weak east that would not be able to inflict similar embarrassment come April. But I live in hope

• shiram says:

Carey can stand on his head, we’re seeing it right now.
          We don’t have Hal Gill, but Murray/Emelin can surely take up the slack.
          Veteran D in Gorges, Markov, Murray, Bouillon…. I’m sure those 4 can cover Spacek/Hamr
          Max/Gally could snipe like Cammy…

Just have to have all the pieces fall in the right place.

• kalevine says:

I don’t disagree, but I’m pointing out that most of those key ingredients aren’t here anymore, and none of those players you mention other than Gorges, who was here for that run, but may not have it in him anymore, have shown they can rise to the occasion in intense playoff settings

• Mr. Biter says:

I want Cammy back.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• habsguru says:

as big as fan as any, probably bigger, but safe to say they over achieved. a perfect storm if you will. Cammy lighting the lamp all day long, and a rookie call up in PK, that no other team was ready for. however, look how easily they were disposed when they ran into Philly. was once again a matter of size and grit. men against boys.

Strictly as a point of information.

Daniel Briere buyout from CapGeek.com
    ◦ 2014-15: $1,333,333 cap hit
    ◦ 2015-16: $1,333,333 cap hit

Don’t renew the contracts of Gionta and Bouillon. Trade or waive DD and buyout Briere. This solves the size issue in one fell swoop.

There would be a few holes in the immediate line-up for next year but that’s the reality of where the team is presently at these days. Better than spending 14M on guys who can no longer be part of any long term plan.

It will never happen but it is doable.

59. DipsyDoodler says:

Skip this if you don’t like non-hockey rants.

I had a long flight last week and I rented Mission Impossible 3. It has good reviews, and it’s the perfect kind of movie for a long flight. Plus I liked MI-1 and 4.

OK, so the genius evil mastermind has dragged Ethan Hunt to his lair, beaten him up, and is about to shoot Ethan’s wife.

And then… he turns his back on him. He F***ING TURNS HIS BACK ON HIM. Like completely forgets he’s even there!

And that’s how his brilliant mastermind plan falls apart.

You’ve got the gun. Your foe is on the floor. DON”T TURN YOUR BACK ON HIM!! Are you kidding me?

• huge_polar_bear says:

Also don’t start monologuing (sp?), to many evil masterminds have been thwarted during the process. Do they not watch TV or movies… Are you kidding me?

• Cal says:

Poor writing, that. Apparently, the Evil Mastermind’s ego is what does him in. He’s so overconfident that he does, in fact, turn his back on his nemesis when a quick bullet to the brain would be more effective and cost efficient, too. That’s why there have been so many Bond movies. Incredibly stupid evil masterminds.

I was wondering… what made Montreal Canadiens organization to believe that Marc Bergevin was going to be a good GM?

• bwoar says:

The guy who selected him, presumably.

“thoroughbred”

• Thurston says:

What do you suggest he do to improve as a GM?

• Steeltown Hab says:

Just doing nothing in several circumstances would’ve been great for this organization…

-Early extension of an unproven DD, Briere signing with several UFAs out there

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• huge_polar_bear says:

I would suggest that he (in no particular order):
        1- find a replacement for Parros who can play a regular shift on the 4th line, every game.
        2- find a 30 (or more) goal scoring winger for Lois Leblanc, a draft pick and a roster player or two (depending on the caliber of the guy coming back)
        3- Sign PK for a multi year deal (preferably more than 5 years)

That would improve my opinion of him as a GM

• DipsyDoodler says:

Based on current scoring stats there will be roughly 26 30-goal scorers this year. That’s normal. Approximately one per team on average.

I’d say finding one is not as easy as you think.

• huge_polar_bear says:

Not easy at all, but if he gets it done it will definitely improve my opinion of him as a GM.

• habsguru says:

his native tongue

• joeybarrie says:

Track record, references, common sense, first hand information and experience.
      question…. Who would have been a better choice and what makes them think they would have been a better choice?

• JUST ME says:

Now it`s going to be Therrien AND Bergevin ? Wow ! You bring so much positive stuff to this website !

• shiram says:

Serge Savard.

• Strummer says:

They brought in Rick Dudley to babysit. They knew it would be a learning curve

______________________________________________________
      “It’s Christmas- not “The Holidays”

• Bripro says:

It’s easy for all of us to analyze the DD signing as a bad one.
      Hindsight is 20/20.
      But he had just come off a 60 point season, Cole was still on the team, and there was no reason to think that he had lost his motivation, hence the trade for Ryder.
      4 years? Yeah, I’ll give you… it’s a long time. But I look at the roster and all of the others who hold promise and don’t deliver, and have to believe that they are in fact exhausted.
      Are they small, sure. But they’ve done fairly well over the last two years. Remember what MB was given when he came in.
      A one-year turn around and (so far) top 5 ranking isn’t anything (IMO) to get frustrated about.
      Our problem? We’ve been there. We’ve had the winners, year after year. We’ve had the parades and the many hall-of-fame players.
      But the game is different now. The players are no longer loyal to their childhood teams. They go where the money is.
      Otherwise, we’d have Crosby and Stamkos.
      I’m convinced that MB is on the phone in search of the elusive 230 lbs 6’5″ power forward who has hands, vision, can hit and rack up 3 points / game. But every team does.
      And in the end, it’s up to that player. He’ll look at the after-tax market and the environment.
      All the players agree, the Bell centre is the best arena to play in. But it’s the hardest to live in. And some don’t have the fortitude or the interest to live that.
      And I’m sure MB has to deal with that every day.
      He’s righted our goaltending situation with Waite.
      Be patient. I’m sure once he gets beyond his rookie mistakes, we’ll be a better team. I’m convinced.
      Chicago didn’t do it overnight. They did a lot of tanking first.

• habsfan0 says:

He told them he would be and they had no reason to believe he was lying.

61. DipsyDoodler says:

Milan Lucic gets into a drunken bar brawl in Vancouver:

62. habsguru says:

so all jokes aside, when does MB have to face the music on the DD/Briere signings? Moen signing i don’t like, but i get it. Prust, no problem. but the tiny twins???

• Hobie Hansen says:

The real kicker with those two signings is the fans were moaning and groaning over the Gomez and Kaberle contacts. The Habs finally get rid of them and Bergevin turns around and immediately handcuffs the team again with two useless players.

63. The Jackal says:

Trade everyone and a second round pick for Crosby

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

64. DickandDanny says:

Not sure where the Briere rumour started, but if he thinks another team will want him for what we agreed to (over)pay him then he is suffering from major head trauma. The closest thing to Brier right now that I can think of in the history of those who donned a Habs jersey is when Aurel Jolliet did a few laps around the Forum on his 90th birthday! This guy Briere looks so slow, old, and frail out there, have you noticed that even the other teams don’t hit him or push him around in front of their net, that I seriously think he should retire. He’s not a threat and I even think the other teams genuinely feel sorry for him. I’m thinking I my come out of retirement as I know I can skate equally as well Briere does and I am not afraid to go to the net or into the corners. MB give me a call. I’ll play for a million and $100,000 a goal.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Habilis says:

The Briere signing was a bad move, no doubt. The worst part of it is that he’s unmovable. The only way I see MB moving Briere is by packaging him with one of either Tinordi or Beaulieu and basically telling the other team “You have to take him if you want the kid, but we’ll eat half his salary”.

And even at that, the move would require MB admitting that he made a big mistake. Not likely.

Are Habs allowed any buyout this coming summer?

66. bwoar says:

So…. close the book on George Parros’ hockey career?

“thoroughbred”

• Kooch7800 says:

no idea but if he was smart he would. He is a UFA after this season I believe. Stay on the injured list and call it a career. He has made good money and has a great education. Not worth risking your life after hockey over

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bwoar says:

After 2 concussions already this year I’d think there’d be serious pressure at home to hang ‘em up.

I bring it up since as of this moment the Habs need to find a new pugilist. I don’t think it’s a subject that comes up here very often.

“thoroughbred”

• galchenyuk27 says:

Brian Burke will make him his new gm in Calgary. He will love Parros Harvard degree both very smart men.

67. CSIASN says:

Rumblings Briere not happy in Montreal .Someone should tell him we’re not happy with his performance thus far either.
    Do us a favour. Ask to be moved.

68. habsguru says:

Hats off for helping the kids, it IS a BIG deal. nobody can ever knock the CH for their contributions to the community.

69. habsguru says:

tired? if they are that tired, then milk your 3rd and 4th line as much as you can (CHECK PRUST’s MINUTES). realty is this: they are over tired from wasting energy to avoid the slot (except Gally of course). go to the paint and stand still if you are that tired. other teams have figured out to apply pressure high on PK and 79? no sh$*. coaches doing there job, wow. if forwards are pressuring high on the point, then I guess the same forwards can’t be down low then, hmmmmm

70. Habilis says:

You know, for a guy who preaches “No Excuses”, Therrien sure has a long list of them.

Good on the Habs for doing this. More important than one more practice.

Patience is a virtue.

72. Stevie.Ray says:

I thought the video was going to be Raphael taking a penalty shot on Theodore