Tinordi spurns Irish for Knights: report

The Toronto Sun reports that Canadiens draft pick Jarred Tinordi is headed to the Ontario Hockey League’s London Knights, after having committed to play for the University of Notre Dame Irish.

• Julie Veilleux’s nice synopsis of the Canadiens’ off-season moves.

1. Morenz7 says:

Youtube footage from dev camp shows a good skater for a kid that size. With time and development, I think he’ll be as good as Komi in that department.

Puckhandling? Not so much. He’ll want to concentrate on good first passes and controlling it along the boards.

2. mbplekfan says:

I remember the wasteland of the Canadiens farm system. No top end players, spectacular flame outs, few if any depth players available…

Now we have a system that is graduating players to the NHL every year. We have top flight prospects in our system and a team mentality starting to take hold through our development camps.

Our prospects want to play for the Habs and feel like part of the organization. Subban will be the premiere graduate this year, White might also make it.

Carle and Weber are very close.

Pacioretty and Schultz will be knocking on the door pretty soon.

All in all a much improved situation over 15 years ago.

3. habstrinifan says:

When you look at our collection of D men ( with the big team and prospects) I want him to get raves for his last BIG HIT rather than his strong first pass.

4. WarHero says:

hahaha

————————————————————————

5. mrhabby says:

lol…its in my own words..lol

6. puck face says:

i think stating that a kid has work to do before he can makes the pros is kind of obvious. his father had a strong work ethic and that’s usually passed down from father to son so i’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the nhl but i just wish he was like a foot taller and maybe 300-350 pounds of pure muscle and it would be nice if he found time to become a chess master while simultaneously reading ‘the art of war’ until he knows it by heart. he should also work in a soup kitchen once a week to balance out his meaness on the ice and while he’s there learn to speak french from the homeless to the point where he masters the language and writes poetry about all things Quebec. i think i’ve covered the little things he needs to do before habs fans consider him a decent hockey player.

7. TomNickle says:

Verbal contracts can be binding but what legal action would the University of Notre Dame take against an 18 year old kid who decided to go a different route?

What are they going to go after, his lunch money?

8. Mark C says:

My read is this, his skate is good considering all factors, such age, size, level of play etc. but, he will need to improve it if he hopes to become a great NHL player. This is true of all prospects, or at least 99% of them need to improve their skating. Stick handling and puck skills sound like this greatest weakness, thankfully this can be improved.

9. adamkennelly says:

fighting no but but being able to respond to physical play yes – Minn had John Scott and Boogie on their team last year – didn’t not fight cause they had no fighters – but cause these guys had no takers.  Minny lost Boogie and Scott and replaced them with Staubitz and Nystrom.  Most teams in this league understand the need to have players who can be physical and hold oppoenents accountable for physical play.  Habs are in the vast minority not having anyone in their projectd opening day line-up who fits that role.  Habs have small skilled guys and zero players who can hold opponents accountable.  Push over team to play and its going to be a problem.  I think before the end of the year – something will be done.

10. Jordio-oh says:

I’ll choose my words more carefully next time. And I’ll forgive you for nitpicking.

11. terrygain says:

Wrong. Only certain contracts need to be in writing. Rather than listening to Judge Judy I suggest you read the Statute of Frauds and the Consumer Protection Act. Or keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

12. WarHero says:

hehe, indeed he does ;)

————————————————————————

13. SeriousFan09 says:

I wouldn’t expect him to develop a Chara slapper or anything, but if he can develop a strong first pass than that would be great.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. TomNickle says:

Every team has good prospects?

Anaheim, Toronto, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington(other than Alzner and Carlsson), Florida, Phoenix, Calgary, Minnesota, San Jose?

15. spcbrass says:

You have hit the nail squarely on the head with your point about Markov.  I’m also thinking once Markov teaches P.K. a few more tricks that the Habs powerplay will continue to dominte long after Markov retires.

16. B says:

Every team has a good array of prospects. It will take time to find out which prospects actually become valuable NHLers.

17. TomNickle says:

I’ll take Hunter and McKenzie over scouts who request anonymity any day of the week.

18. B says:

Those were not Julie’s own observations, unnamed “scouts” were quoted. Assuming it is accurate, it contradicts coach Hunter’s quotes in the Sun article. Of course I hope Hunter’s opinion is the more accurate one.

19. WarHero says:

Amen! I could not agree more :)

————————————————————————

20. crabvader says:

The instigator has a lot to do with those stats.

I still think it’s one of the stupidest penalties in the game today.

21. Jordio-oh says:

Great stat.

22. Jordio-oh says:

Yep, not a bad line up of prospects.

23. likehoy says:

as long as the contract numbers aren’t a gift for carey’s birthday.

24. crabvader says:

I think that Hunter knows he can help Tinordi develop his offensive prowess. That’s good news.

25. TomNickle says:

He’s a good skater.

Even if I hadn’t seen him skate before.  I would take Hunter and Bobblehead McKenzie’s scouting reports over Julie who?

26. madcap_habsfan says:

thank you. maybe they’ll get some when the season starts

27. crabvader says:

Way to call out the Halak fanatics, Tom.

Thanks…

(P.S. I agree)

28. B says:

The Sun article quotes Hunter saying: ““He’s big, mobile. He can skate and jump into the play.” and “We’re going to encourage him to jump into the play,”

Julie Veilleux’s article quotes scouts saying:
    “when he starts to dangle, his warts show.”
    and “He will need to improve upon his skating and puck skills (…). He’s clearly a project that if he works out, will be a force on an NHL blueline. There is just a lot of work to be done.”

So is a good skater or not? Is he an offensive threat or not? Is he there already or does he have a lot of work to do to in order to perhaps some day get there? Of course he can still learn a lot and improve if and where necessary, but you can’t teach him to be big. Fortunately, he is already blessed with very good size. I hope he does well in the OHL and produces there from the get go.

29. crabvader says:

Methinks some people need to watch a little more Judge Judy…

You cannot be held accountable for a verbal contract under ANY circumstance. The only way to shake the stick at someone is if there is a written agreement.

30. soflohabsfan says:

Eric Engels has a great blog doesn’t he? Just saying.

31. TomNickle says:

Bob Gainey takes heat here everyday and yet look at what he and Pierre Gauthier are building for us…..

Plekanec, Eller, Leblanc, Kristo, Avtsin, Pacioretty, Subban, Gorges, Tinordi, Yemelin, Weber, Price, Desjardins.

Not to mention the veterans that have been added like Gionta, Cammalleri and Gomez.

This team is going to be exciting.  Very exciting.

32. WarHero says:

I am very glad that Jarred decided to take this step! He should do well under the Hunter boys. I can’t wait to see him in action against the 67’s here in Ottawa! I’ll also get to see Louis play in Gautineau when they are in town to play the Olympiques! Gotta love that!

————————————————————————

33. HFX-HabFan says:

I really think that Ryan White will come out of camp with a regular spot as our twelfth forward.  His offensive ceiling is pretty low (though he put up respectable numbers in junior), but he plays with jam and looks like Greg Stewart with far more hockey sense.

I would be more than happy to see a fourth line of Moen, Boyd and White.  Three guys who know how to throw a hit and create some energy/cause momentum shifts, which is exactly what you want out of your fourth line. If you can get 25 to 30 goals out of them, even better.

34. mrhabby says:

tom..good points on all.

1..love the fact martin has no choice but to play the young guys. let them make mistakes and learn they will come back stronger. martins authoritative style..blah.

2..i was thinking about Schultz. i really hopes he makes the club.we need his style , its not even funny any more…please make the team schultz.

3..5 on 5 play still a concern for me due to the fact were a counter punching team not a slug it out mean and nasty team but with all on same page i hope it works.

4. markov key to so many things but so gald that little pee wee player MAB is gone..what a headache seeing him with the puck.

35. crabvader says:

Belanger is signed with a new team… Dunno who yet…

36. TomNickle says:

Western is a good school too ;)

37. soperman says:

I agree with all of that but I would like to point out that for many major junior clubs, e.g. the Halifax Mooseheads, the boys are required to attend high school full-time or, if they graduated from High School, they are required to take classes at Dalhousie University or Saint Mary’s University.

It gives the boys a good life lessons in balancing lots of balls at the same time.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Go Price. Or should I say Stop Price?

38. Mark C says:

Don’t need to worry too much about fighting, out of the 5 teams with the most fights, only Philly made the playoffs, 5 out of the 6 teams with the least fights made the playoffs (Minn and Montreal tied for 5th fewest fights).

39. JIMVINNY says:

Stop “what kind of thing”?  Stop a guy from changing his mind about what he feels is his best path for success?  Tinordi did what he feels is best for him.  No one can prevent someone from making a decision like that.

40. Mark C says:

double post

41. kempie says:

I think the biggest differences are the amount of games played and the atmosphere. I could be wrong on the number of games but I believe the NCAA schedule is a 22 game schedule whereas, in junior, it’s a 66 game schedule, so roughly a third of the amount of games in the NCAA vs. CHL. Also, games in the CHL have bigger crowds and incorporate a more professional element of entertainment. Kids get used to playing in front of more people, doing more interviews and generally dealing with a more NHL type atmosphere. Now I’m partially talking out of my butt here because I’m much more familiar with the CHL system, so feel free to correct me but I believe that’s not a bad rough analysis. There may also be rule differences that provide more realistic NHL training in the CHL.

42. Storm Man says:

Well Said.

43. Bill J says:

In MTL – thats a center that is taller then 5’7″

in the rest of the NHL – that means taller then 6’3″

:D

44. TomNickle says:

It’s funny.  I was thinking about the youth discipline thing the other day.  I don’t think Martin’s gonna have much of a choice in the way of playing the youngsters.  Eller, Kostitsyn, Pyatt, Pouliot and Lapierre make up almost half of the roster spots at forward.  I don’t think he’ll have the luxury of banishing all five of them to the fourth line! haha.

The other thing that’s funny is that he can’t exactly start scratching them from games and calling up vets.  Who’s he gonna call up?  Palushaj, Pacioretty, Desharnais, White?

For the record.  I can see Schultz earning a roster spot in camp due to his game and maturity.  This would make Darche the 13th forward.  The way it should be.

As for 5 on 5 play.  I think it gets better with everyone on the same page and last year they were not.  I think our goal scoring goes up and our goals against go down.  Not drastically, but let’s say 20 and 20 respectively.  40 goal difference from last year, maybe closer to 30.

Powerplay will struggle early on, no question.  Markov is the cog of that Powerplay, always has been, and will be until he retires.  Streit, Souray, Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay.  They’ve all gone, but the powerplay has remained the same, and Markov is the reason for it.  No question.

45. Aerobiz says:

Just realized that “The Tin Man” could imply that he has no heart. Let’s hope we don’t have to go there. I should really get back to work.

Procrastination is an art, and HI/O is my brush.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

46. Aerobiz says:

Or for headlines we could go with “The Tin Man”.

And if he can’t skate we can call him “The Tin Can”.

If he grows an awesome Paul Mara esq playoff beard we can call him a “Scruffy looking Nerfherder.” …this is fun.

47. TomNickle says:

They get at least 30 more games in junior than they do in college.

They get at least 2 more practices each week.

There’s a misconception out there that players in college have more time to devote towards physical conditioning.  This couldn’t be further from the truth.  Players in junior need to be gym rats because of the extra load in playing time.

Better coaching(especially in this case)

Playing time is a big factor too.  In college, seniors tend to dominate ice-time.  In junior, the high end talent gets the ice time regardless of how much time they’ve had on the team.

48. mrhabby says:

still plenty of concerns as summer roles along and players are getting ready for camp.

1..still lacking that tough guy(s)..iam still expecting the bigger teams to throw us around ..the 3 amigo’s. is  PG going to address this issue. i guess him and martin want a balance for all 4 lines and leave out the tough guy. who’s going to drop them..cammy, gio, pleks , ak, moen..we will be bounced around..arghhhh..very frustrating to see.

2. were younger faster with eller, boyd thats all good.

3. with the same players (mostly) , i still have doubts are 5on5 play gets better..thats just me.

4..our pp will hurt. no markov and that little player bergeron.

5…martins coaching style..can he adapt and let the younger players make mistakes and still play them.

just a few thoughts.

49. Aerobiz says:

“Tino” is the obvious way to go.

Though I do prefer “Nordie”.

50. SLONCOLD says:

what makes the ncaa  worse for a player’s hockey development? i’m not familiar with the development of players in the juniors or in the college system. just wondering what a player will get our of playing in the juniors in canada versus  in the college programs.

51. RGM says:

Anybody think that for Carey’s birthday on Monday we’ll get a contract announcement? It would be great for his PR – all the “Happy Birthday and congrats Carey!” posts would be off the charts!

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

52. GuyDoon says:

For me the character of Boyd versus SKost’s is the main and obvious reason why I prefer Boyd. That alone is a huge plus for the Habs. Where I’m not convinced is more the 400K difference between Boyd and Moore. Was that a good choice? SKost had to go, but I keep wondering if a pick would have done that. Then we keep Moore. The 400K shouldn’t have broken the bank. Having said that, I like what Boyd should bring: sandpaper.

53. TomNickle says:

The school had the same commitment from Tinordi that the Knights do.  Verbal.  Doesn’t mean a damn thing and they should’ve known better.  He was enrolled for summer classes but had put nothing in writing saying he was going to attend in the fall.

This is the better move for the Canadiens and Tinordi’s future as a hockey player.

54. since1988 says:

when comparing his stats to Colby Armstrong from last season they are basically the same and Boyd doesn’t make 3 million per so he will be a solid 4th line player

55. Tighthead says:

I don’t like junior teams “tampering” with players who have committed to play for a college squad.  Too mercenary for my liking.

56. GuyDoon says:

Guaranteed paycheque is the main reason. The other reason for that is strategic from the agent and player side. Let’s say Pyatt is competing for a final spot on the opening roster with another player making 800K. With all other hockey things being equal, it gives him a small edge on the competition. Lapierre and Chipchura did the same thing last year.

57. TomNickle says:

Jarred TinNASTY!

58. TomNickle says:

He could be ready to make the NHL jump next season with this move.  And I KNOW that was part of the pitch that enticed him to play in London.

59. Storm Man says:

Im not sure how many games and what tv you watched Boyd play. Boyd is a nasty hard working player. Think Begin but younger.

60. Storm Man says:

JT is going to be a Knight, This is very good news.

61. ed lopaz says:

that’s what I’m trying to say SF’09.

lets open spots for White, Pacioretty and Palushaj.

I’m all in favor of bringing those guys along for the ride.

I am a big fan of all 3.

we need to BANG a little – not with our top 6, but for sure with our bottom 6.

62. ooder says:

what’s a “big center”?

——————

88 is the new 23

63. likehoy says:

the italian stallion

64. likehoy says:

technically, we wouldn’t know the answer to that cause we haven’t had a big centre in god knows how long……

65. Mark C says:

No one has said Boyd has to play on the 4th line. While, fore-checking and hitting is important role of bottom six forwards, in no way, shape or form should that diminish the importance of goal scoring. After all, the game is won by the team which scores more than the other. It would take a hell-of-a lot of hitting and fore-checking by a 4th line center to out-weigh the value of those 11 goals.

Also, isn’t most of the fore-checking and hitting done by wingers?

66. Morenz7 says:

Wait, that last one’s polysyllabic. How bout Tins?

67. SeriousFan09 says:

He also likes guys with a work ethic, White and Pacioretty don’t take shifts off. The two of them combined with Palushaj formed a highly effective line in HAM that was very punishing against the team they were playing, I saw the unit in action a couple of times. All 3 won’t join the Habs but those two definitely have the work ethic JM likes.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. Morenz7 says:

Fun, but you know the guys in the room will go monosyllabic. My money’s on Nords. Or Tinny.

69. likehoy says:

don’t judge the player till you watch him, TK was only 6’0 200lbs, but he put out a lot of hits and was a tireless worker.

steve begin was only 6’0 200lbs and he was nasty out there…

sean avery’s only 5’11 185lbs…there are a lot of assholes and agitators and nasty players that seem undersized. dustin boyd had about a hit per game last year and he’ll look to improve on that i’m sure.

70. Rudy says:

OK, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.  I couldn’t understand it when I read it on TFP link. Cammy’s sister works for TFP, so should get some good Habs coverage hopefully.

71. Morenz7 says:

Wasn’t Paul Kelly, erstwhile head of the PA, hired by the NCAA to stop this kind thing from happening?

72. Bugs says:

Workin on Tinordi’s nickname.

What think thee of “Torrid Jabrone”?

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

73. likehoy says:

this has been discussed over and over…he didn’t take a paycut, he took guaranteed money.

at 500k per year on a 1-way contract, he’s making 500k no matter where he is….he had a 2-way 800k or wtv last year so he could have made up to 800k with the canadiens, and up to around 65k with the AHL team…as he split the season between the AHL and NHL, he probably made around 430k last year…also if I’m not mistaken, the 1-way contract means pyatt would have to clear waivers to return to the AHL so he’s more of a lock to stay in Montreal

74. ed lopaz says:

martin will favor darche’s brains over young players’ speed.

that’s martin’s style – NO MISTAKES!!

75. SeriousFan09 says:

He signed a 1-way deal, last year he was on a 2-way contract that only paid 68K for the year when he was in the AHL, this year is an NHL contract so he’s guaranteed that half-million provided he stays on the team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.