Tinordi sent down to Hamilton, Pateryn called up

The Canadiens announced on Wednesday morning that defenceman Jarred Tinordi has been sent down to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. Later in the day the Canadiens announced that defenceman Greg Pateryn was being called up from Hamilton.

Tinordi was a healthy scratch for Tuesday’s 4-3 loss to the Edmonton Oilers at the Bell Centre with Nathan Beaulieu taking his spot on the blue line.

Tinordi was pointless in six games with the Canadiens, with nine penalty minutes and was even in the plus/minus stats.

Douglas Murray (upper body) and George Parros (concussion) skated on their own Wednesday in Brossard with Murray saying he’s getting “closer” to returning to the lineup.

“I just want to hit some people,” he said.

Carey Price, who will start Thursday night against the Anaheim Ducks at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) was the first player on the ice for Wednesday’s practice working on rebound control with goalie coach Stephane Waite.

“It’s important to work on the little details in your game,” Price said. “It helps you refocus and get prepared for the upcoming games.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Galchenyuk–Eller–Gallagher
Bournival–Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque–Desharnais–Moen
Blunden–White–Holland

Markov–Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Beaulieu-Bouillon

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Oilers come back to sink Habs 4-3, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens strong start unravels, by Pat Hickey

Jab by Eller gives Oilers extra motivation, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens vs. Oilers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Depleted Oilers pot four straight to down Habs, Edmonton Journal

Repeat performance for Holland with Habs? Canadiens.com

1. Mattyleg says:

Oh man….

Just watched about 3 minutes of That’s Hockey 2Nite.
    Can anyone tell me why this exists?
    Also, why do Canadian networks feel they need to imitate American ones, even when they do things badly?

This is an appalling show.
    I wanted to watch a show about hockey; instead I got a pile of shouting and nonsensical soundbites, including a pitifully un-subtle ‘Like/Don’t Like’ segment that looks like it’s supposed to cater to four-year-olds.

I had to turn it off, it was so loud and obnoxious, equally bad as ‘Pardon the Interruption’ that seems to pride itself on rudeness and shouting.

What a waste of airtime.

Man, that made me angry.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. third generation haber says:

Jeremy Gregoire (6th round pick, 2013), is third overall in the Q scoring race!
    13GP/ 12G/ 10A/ 22Pts. plus one fight.

He may be playing his way onto the WJC team!
    Thank-u Timmins!!!

j.p. murray

3. Sportfan says:

I don’t care for Dallas Eakins, he says stuff about Eller running his mouth “which he semi did, but not really” calls Gally a pest etc etc, not very professional in my opinion maybe he’s going down the road of Claude Julien.

Lol Many Oilers fans are fed up with him.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. PrimeTime says:

Too many fans here follow the Habs via media as opposed to forming their own opinions. Always joining popular criticism that gains media attention, never seeing the beyond what they hear or see. Too bad the growth of social media hadn’t elevated the “working class”, it has only proved its ignorance. Fans are a mob…always has been, always will be. Good luck to you all!

5. Sportfan says:

Sigh the red sox are winning…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

6. ProHabs says:

Adam McQuaid just tried to pull John Scott down face first onto the ice during a fight just like Colton Orr did to Parros. What an idiot. Scott knocked Erickson out of the game with a dirty hit to the head.

• Mark C says:

I thought having fighters and tough guys protected teams from such hits…

• DipsyDoodler says:

John Scott’s game.

Time on ice: 5:35
      Shots on goal: 0
      Points: 0
      Penalty Minutes: 10

Somehow he didn’t get ejected despite throwing a clear blindside hit to the head to Ericksson. One of the most vicious cheap shots you’ll ever see.

And of course, the loathsome toad Claude Julien, who put Chara out on the ice so he could take revenge on Max that time, who put out his goons when the score was 5-0 for the Habs with a minute left, was livid afterwards. Hey Claude do us a favour and burst an aneurysm you fat pig.

7. Sportfan says:

Pateryn will be interesting to see!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

LAST POST BEFORE WE LEAVE FOR MONTREAL!

For all of you that cannot get to this years Summit, we are going to try live blogging from the events if we can. If not we will have people posting from the Summit events.

Very large group this year, looks like I will be needing help with it next year.
    Shane and Secretdragonfly will be giving out the name tags. Wear them at all events please.
    Good night!

Itinerary here.
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

9. ProHabs says:

When is Bergevin finally going to make a trade to help this team. When is he going to put his stamp on the team.

I hate to say it but all he has done so far is use the draft picks and the players that Gauthier left and sign a bunch of injured guys. You look at the forwards and defenceman used at todays practice, every sign guy was brought here by Gauthier or by one of his draft picks.

• third generation haber says:

Because any trade he makes now will be a loser. The team is struggling and injured; other teams don’t need to throw us a bone. Remember the Kaberle trade???

MB’s attempt to put his stamp on the team has come in last year’s draft: taking McCarron, DeLarose, Crisp, and Gregoire.

And, in adding Prust, Armstrong (sigh..), Murray, Parros, Bouillion (sigh..), and re-signing Moen, all to toughen-up the team. (Plus Tarnasky in Hamilton)

Sadly, he also focused on “character” by locking-up deadbeats in DD and Briere.

j.p. murray

10. Sportfan says:

Best answer by Murray I just want to hit some people~

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

11. Mavid says:

6-1 great..those fans will be intolerable tomorrow…bla bla bla..we showed old assclown who the boss is..bla bla bla

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

12. H.Upmann says:

wow Detroit… wonder if their fans are going apesh*t on Wings Inside Out

• DalEng says:

Haha. I was just going to say something similar.

I bet there ain’t too many wings fan complaining, hoping for major changes like you see from so called habs fans on here. I wouldn’t even be close to this website if the habs were losing 5-1 right now in a division game. Habs fans can be negative nancys. Can you say “end of world” #fireMT #soft #badcontracts #dd #tradeprice

• ProHabs says:

Why would they be going appshat. There organization has actually won a cup (several) in the last 20 years and are shoe ins for the playoffs year after year. If only we were so lucky.

• DalEng says:

Shoe-ins? I wouldn’t say that. Barely made it in last year.

Besides a select few no teams are shoe-ins anymore. The NHL is so competitive now and its great. 23 Players on each team and 30 teams. I couldn’t even imagine how hard it is to win a cup these days. That’s 667 players all wanting the same thing as our beloved habs.

Hopefully the habs can survive the season, make the playoffs, stay healthy throughout, Gold medal winning goalie (I hope) backing us and I think we have a great chance at the glorious 25th.

GHG

13. JM says:

Lucic – Best all around tough Guy in the NHL – Can play soft – Can play tough – Can fight with the best of them and the most important thing – He can put points on the Score Board – Name a tough guy who is better!!

14. I’m not one for trade rumors, but I know an organization in Minnesota that is looking to move one K, and one H.

My source……can’t tell ya.

The last 24 hours here has been too legit, too legit to quit!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH BREAKOUT THE FUNKY COLD MEDINA!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

15. OK I made this for HH, but now I think we should auction it off.

FYI, this is not an insult to Timo, I don’t blame him one bit for being upset with this team. However whenever I think of the most angry fan he always comes to mind. I love his have we fire Therrien bit :)

Anyway,

25 cents, do I hear 25 cents? :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

16. Chrisadiens says:

The drink-a-thon is almost upon us…

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• HabFab says:

Hope you have been practicing cause I hear Burly has been working out so hard that he has a touch of tennis elbow. Unfortunately… that will only hinder his performance for the first hour or 4 drinks… whichever comes first.

• Chrisadiens says:

I feel like my whole life I’ve been training for this moment. I’m as ready as I’ll ever be. :)

I’m bummed we won’t get to meet you Frank. I’ll raise a glass in your honor though bud!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• FYI Chris, the last father son tandem that came did the drinkathon thing. They haven’t been heard from since.

Who was that? His son’s name started with a J, and they were from somewhere in Ontario. He knew one of my officers in the infantry.

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures
          Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Propwash says:

I’ll be at Hurleys on Friday, can’t wait to knock back a few pints with everyone!

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

17. JM says:

I’m not a Coach and I’m not a GM But. If the Habs were my team this is how it would look down the center for the remainder of the 2013-2014 season . Win, lose or draw.

1st – Galchenyuk
    2nd – Eller
    3rd – Plekanec
    4th – Desharnais

and whom ever you want to fill in on the wings – Help yourself!!

• third generation haber says:

I think everyone including MT knows who are top 3 centers are, but makes his lines according to whatever screw-ups the GM has handcuffed him with.

You could improve your lineup by shifting White to the fourth line center position and shifting DD to the press-box. This way DD can still safely watch from the perimeter and not risk an injury.

j.p. murray

18. HabFab says:

@L – are you taking them to the BB Barn or does that still exist?

19. piter says:

I think there’s more to Tinordi being set down than whats been reported. His stats aren’t that bad, and it’s kind of a trade off, having his size in front of Pricey knocking players down. Either they are shopping some of our young D’s for part of a package, or maybe even something happened between Therrien and Tinordi, but it doesn’t make sense to me sending our only D with size, and a little bit of grit, down to Hamilton. I haven’t checked cap geek, but it’s hard to believe we need the cap room either. What y’all think?

• Harditya says:

Tinordi hasn’t played with the same level of physicality or confidence in the regular season. And that is perfectly fine. He’s just 21 years old, if time is what he needs, then he will get plenty of it before making the jump to the NHL.

• Strummer says:

My point exactly – what is the rush?

There will be no Stanley Cup for a while. He needs to spend time in the minors where he can play a lot of minutes and develop.

Look at the Red Wing model

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• JUST ME says:

Nothing happened between Tinordi and anyone else. Stop making stories. Tinordi is a kid. He works hard but is not exactly up to the NHL level yet so instead of having him play one game out of two and losing his confidence he needs to play big minutes every game in Hamilton and dominate and so does Beaulieu by the way.
      Tinordi did good but had all kind of problems that can be fixed. Skating was not always up to par with NHL level, effort was not always there towards the second half of the game. Nhl play is fast and relentless and for kids it is tough to keep up.
      But please stop seeing things and events when there are none.

• HabCez says:

I agree.
      I think it is an issue with Boullion. I do not see much chemistry between them. I don’t think Tinordi can learn much from him.
      If it was Murphy his partner, a different story.
      I like Tinordi but as Harditya noted he is still young and also still early in the season.
      You also have to note perhaps Murphy will be back earlier then expected. I doubt MT will sit out Boullion for Tiny for whatever reason(valid or not).

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
      – HabCez

• third generation haber says:

Trading away one of our young D now, before they’ve fully developed, would be a short-term solution to counter the injuries we’ve faced and the GM’s recent mistakes. I hope it doesn’t happen.

j.p. murray

20. T-roy West says:

I think the person who looks bad the most is Dallas Eakins. His team got their ass handed to them in the first period so for him to say that his team used what Eller said before the game as motivation then he isn’t a very good motivator. Edmonton came out flat in the first with no motivation. Eakin’s is a tool.

21. Maritime Ronn says:

Un Canadien errant says

” ….Michel Therrien did exactly the right thing when answering questions from the media, in saying that Lars had made a mistake and he’ll learn from it.”
    ——————–
    No, Coach Therrien did exactly the WRONG thing.

Eller is not an 18-19 year old kid.
    He has paid his dues and may have made a tiny mistake.
    Anyone who has ever been a room knows stuff like that happens.
    Perhaps the writer of the Eller criticism has never been there.

Eller and his line have carried the Habs so far.
    If the coach has some ugly laundry to wash, he does that one on one with the player in his office and not in a public forum.
    Regardless about the 4 paragraph explanation of throwing someone under the buss, Coach Therrien was absolutely wrong.

With public call outs such as that – and some Subban stuff and preferential treatment to underperformers, this coach is quickly on his way to losing a dressing room and causing divides.
    The guys are not stupid…

• Lafleurguy says:

Nobody made Mike Richards pay for trashing PK.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• ABHabsfan says:

I have to agree with you on Therrien. It would be nice to see him stand up for any one of his players, let alone his #1 centre and his Norris Trophy D-man. Obviously I cannot be privy to the inner-workings of The Room, but it would seem as a coach who can be fired at a moment’s notice, you may want these 2 guys in your corner.
      He could have responded that Eller was right, they do play a junior team. Or “that team is terrible, I can’t believe we let them win” Habs don’t play them again this season. It means nothing to the Oilers, everything to your own players.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• mount royal says:

Why should MT be a hypocrite.? The media is lambasting Eller already. he knows he did the wrong thing and has now has effectively apologized. He knows that everything he does is in the public eye. So what is there for MT to defend? He blew it and he will learn from it. That sounds honest and supportive to me.

• habcertain says:

not the MT way, was his downfall in PIT, not a strong manager of personalities.

22. DipsyDoodler says:

* Saku? If by all time great you mean Lafleur, Robinson, Richard etc … then no. He was a good one though.
    * Ray Bourque never won a cup. He had to let Patrick Roy win one for him.
    * Laraque? – absolutely. Sign him now. It would be hilarious whatever the outcome.
    * Too soon for Chicken Little? We play Anaheim, San Jose and Dallas next. After that OK?
    * Therrien? I give him till December 2014.

23. AliHaba says:

Wishing the Summiteers a great time this weekend. My trips to Montreal to see the Habs have been on the family weekend since they play Saturday-Sunday home games. @Ian….another year maybe you could book the Summit on that weekend or any other weekend that they play back-to-back home games.

Should be a treat watching our boys take a bite outta them Sharks. Wish I was going too. Have fun.

24. JohnBellyful says:

@ Dunboyne Mike

There once was a coach named Dallas
    Whose remarks about Eller were callous
    For all of his squeakin’s
    The mouse known as Eakins
    Proved to all he is a real phallus

25. wickedwelder says:

OK here it is Gally ,Prust and PK are the only Habs with Balls had to say it ! ho and Parros da !

26. Supersonic says:

@Maritime Ronn

you seem to be implying that he cannot be considered one of the greats because he did not win a Stanley cup.

Was Alfredsson one of the greats?
    Ray Bourque?

it’s a teams sport and it starts with the management

27. Bill says:

Ronn, he had no chance of a Cup win with the horrible teams the Habs iced around him.

Top ten all time scorers is a huge accomplishment for any Hab.

28. Psycho29 says:

For you Summiteers I’ll see you Saturday afternoon!!
    Looking forward to it!

29. HabFab says:

For all those heading out to the Summit tomorrow or Friday… have a great and I hope a successful time.

• JohnBellyful says:

Crisp played net in a game?
      This, friends, is the future of hockey. At least in the Canadiens organization. Players who move up through the ranks learning to play EVERY position.
      That’s how you achieve team depth — through breadth. Give all draftees experience at more than one position, so they can step in at a moment’s notice, whether it’s forward, defence or goal.
      Would make the manager’s and coach’s jobs a lot easier.
      And something else for fans to talk about:
      “I tell ya, he’s a better forward than he is a goalie.”
      “You’re crazy. You saw last game how he lugged the puck playing defence killing off that string of penalties. He’s a blueliner through and through.”

30. HabFab says:

Dalton Thrower –

Pretty special night for the Family tonight, Brother vs Brother with our little sister starting it off singing the national anthem #Throwers

31. Bill says:

Saku Koivu is among the top ten all-time leading scorers for the Montreal Canadiens, and the second longest-serving captain in the team’s history.

He is one of the Habs all time greats based on those accomplishments.

• geo_habsgo says:

Deserves to have his jersey retired in Montreal. Wish he was still the teams captain. I’m glad that Gallagher is making number 11 a respectable number again.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Captain longevity and some numbers are one thing, all time greats for the Habs is so much different.

He is one of the few Habs Captains that does not have a Cup ring and the teams he Captained never won a 2nd round of the playoffs.

All well and good that our past was beyond tremendous, but those retired players never played in a 30 team league either.

Ronn, by your standards no player from the Wpg. Jets could ever be retired, Dale Hawerchuk? No Ring, maybe once past the second round.

I understand that Koivu doesn’t have stats like the Pocket Rocket, but he was very good for the Habs during arguably their worst period ever.

I hold him in the highest esteem, for his play and for his character, and for that I would support his number hung up high.

It’s okay if we don’t agree, just thought I’d give my perspective.

• Maritime Ronn says:

BURLI

I won’t disagree with you, yet to put him up there with the all time greats just doesn’t do it for me
          Hopefully buddy, we can agree to disagree on this one.

32. jols101 says:

Alfie vs Sens. First meeting since the controversial divorce. It would be better if the game was in Ottawa.

33. Bill says:

Blunden, White, and Holland … team needs to get healthy or this is 2011-2012 all over again.

• zorro says:

How many more chances can they give Blunden? Give it up already, the kids gotta go. We cant keep wasting time like this. Come on MB, get with it.
      Now that were on the topic of wasting time, I’ve had enough of seeing DD get rubbed out of every corner of every NHL arena, enough of this MB, we’ve seen enough.

• JF says:

I doubt this is 2011-12 all over again, regardless of the injuries, but I don’t think it’ll be a whole lot better. We’re still too small up front, the defence is soft, the kids are still learning, and there are a couple of players who simply don’t fit.

However, there are some positives that should provide optimism for next season. First, and perhaps most importantly, Price looks as though he is taking his game to the next level. I know he wasn’t great last night, but he has been outstanding in all our victories, and I think he’s going to keep on getting better. He seems more confident, he’s playing more aggressively, he doesn’t go down so soon, and he doesn’t get pulled out to one side or the other of his crease so often.

Eller and the two Gallys have become our top line. Eller has made a quantum leap in his development since the beginning of last season, and neither Gallagher nor Galchenyuk shows any sign of being afflicted with the sophomore slump. We still don’t know what Galchenyuk’s ceiling is, but we need to be patient.

Markov seems to have regained much of his speed and mobility, and P.K. is usually the most dominant player on the ice and looks like giving a repeat performance of last year. He too will keep getting better.

The organization is much more open to calling up players from Hamilton and giving them a real chance or at any rate some useful experience. It has worked for Michaël Bournival, and I expect that at least one of our prospects on defence will have a permanent roster spot by the end of the season.

I think we have to look at this season as a step in a larger process and find positives less in the results of games than in the progress of our young core players and our prospects.

34. JohnBellyful says:

Given the mounting complaints about lame performances by some of the vets on the team, let’s see what Madison Avenue has to say:

What do you get when you cross Old Spice and Right Guard?
    Old Guard – you don’t work up a sweat but you still stink out the joint

35. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Boy hockey dramas are sure boring.
    Oh no,an observation about an opposing team. Whatever Oilers do kinda suck,duh.
    And the whole fabricated movie like plot of Eakins in the locker room “Alright boys,Eller says we are disorganized!!,now lets get out there and show that danish s.o.b how not disorganized we sort of can be!!!”
    As for post game comments by the coach,i doubt players have any clue what was said,nor do they care. not like they gather around the t.v afterwards.

36. frontenac1 says:

Garbutt out 5games for hit on Penner.

37. oldtimerguy says:

I sincerely hope we lose every single game from now to the end of the year. why? because im a real fan. :-) and I mean that absolutely sincerely.

38. punkster says:

From the “Completely Screwed” file…I wanted to see just how we’re doing so far this season so I compared last year stats to this year so far:

This season:
    10 points after 9 games
    29 GF and 19 GA
    3.22 GF and 2.11 GA (per game)

Last season:
    12 points after 9 games
    27 GF and 19 GA
    3.00 GF and 2.11 GA (per game)

Just me but…I think it’s a bit early to go all Chicken Little on this team.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s understanding all the heartfelt loyalty from Habs fans and their passion, yet is/was there ever a better example of that in how they rally around one of their favorites that gave his heart and soul for the bleu-blanc-rouge?

Saku Koivu comes to town tomorrow.
    Was he an All Time Great Habs player?
    The answer is certainly no.

Saku had the unfortunate responsibility of trying to hold together a franchise in turmoil while he was a Captain of a ship that had no rudders… and an embarrassing leadership group lead by Ronald Corey that dissed an all time great in Guy Lafleur and almost single handedly destroyed the Habs.

Saku did a great job, and the Habs fans knew he was a special guy – regardless of the upper management complete idiocy.

The more than 8 minute ovation upon his cancer return tells the story.

This video may be grainy and dated, yet the power of caring shown by the Habs fans will always remain special and second to none.

• JUST ME says:

Saku for me was a great warrior and i will always remember many moments where he is involved.
      For a whole generation of fans he was the best cause they did not know better. I respect that.
      Personnaly i think he never should have been named captain but then again that nomination does not mean what it used to either so…
      Hats off to Saku !

• 100HABS says:

I am a Saku fan. He was a warrior and a great player, but did not have the supporting cast.

What I remember most is how he could receive just about any puck passed in his vicinity. You often hear “oh, the pass was in his skates” – but with him, he got the puck and controlled it anyhow. In his skates or just barely within his reach, he got it and kept going… in traffic and to the net.

• zorro says:

Here here, Saku was a warrior. He represented us well, and on many nights carried this team on his shoulders.
        Great memories, who can forget the 2002 playoffs against the Bruins?
        Thanks Saku for those great memories, hope you have a great night ( game ) tomorrow.

• JUST ME says:

One must be fair though and agree with 100habs about Saku not being spoiled with great linemates and teammates over the years.

40. frontenac1 says:

@uce. Maybe MT took Harpers summer course on “Throwing your Guys Under The Bus” and got a little carried away?

• TheDagger says:

What kind of bus would Duffy fit under?

• JohnBellyful says:

Blunderbuss.
        Oh, you said under. I was thinking in front of.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Always the gem, JB!

• JohnBellyful says:

Sapphire’s my favourite kind of humour.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Was thinking of you and how you might be mildly impressed if I savaged Eakins with a limerick. But I used up all my creative (and every other kind of) energy at school today and am in a semi-vegetative state. Although Eakins doesn’t appear to lend itself readily to rhyme, the name was BORN for a limerick and I quickly dismissed the compromise of ending the first line with “coach” or “Dallas”.

Perhaps you were not prompted to the same level of contempt to which his post-game remarks about Eller jolted me. But if you were, and want the challenge, I hereby waive the copyright, go to bed, and look forward to checkin gin the morning.

“There once was a coach called Eakins”…

You know you want to.

• Lafleurguy says:

At wit’s end with strategy tweakin’
            The Oilers coach heard Lars speakin’
            What Lars meant to say
            About Oilers’ juvenile ways
            Gave Eakins fodder ’twas seekin’

Victory in hand, Eakins spoke
            Acerbic words, and poor joke
            Fruity basket and wine
            Would keep his hair fine
            But forget friendship with Hab-folk

“May you live in interesting times.”

• boing007 says:

An Airbus.

Richard R

41. JM says:

It would appear everyone noticed something about the Habs. One thing I noticed. They can’t beat a team whether they’re a strong team or a weak team if the team plays tough against them!!

That part of their game will be tested quite often in the months to come. Learn how to play tough or get ready to watch the playoffs come April. The injury prone won’t help this matter. Need Healthy tough guys with some skill.

42. Un Canadien errant says:

I know everything gets magnified and acidified amidst a losing streak, but we need to calm down on our latest scandal, namely Lars’ unwise remarks, and Michel Therrien’s comments on this.

As someone posted, it’s probable that Lars heard these comments on the Oilers in a pre-game meeting, from the coaches, and his goof was in repeating them. It’s the second example of Lars being a little goofy that I can remember, the prior one being when he was unaware that an opponent had made a goalie change during the game, he hadn’t noticed the guy he was shooting at was different. So Lars may be a little scattered at times, he’s not Guy Carbonneau or Jonathan Toews.

Michel Therrien did exactly the right thing when answering questions from the media, in saying that Lars had made a mistake and he’ll learn from it. Nothing inflammatory about that. If he’d said that the Canadiens would have won if not for Lars’ stupidity, then we could say he bungled it. As it is, his measured remarks were appropriate to the situation.

As far as whether he “threw Lars under the bus”, that’s off-base. Just so we’re all clear, to ‘throw someone under the bus’ doesn’t mean to rebuke someone, or to be mean to someone. What it strictly means is to unjustly blame someone (else) for something that’s gone wrong.

From Wikipedia:

To throw (someone) under the bus is an idiomatic phrase in American English meaning to sacrifice another person (often a friend or ally), who is usually not deserving of such treatment, out of malice or for personal gain.

The phrase has been widely popularized by sports journalists since 2004[citation needed] and was picked up by the mainstream media during the 2008 primary season. It has frequently been used to describe various politicians distancing themselves from unpopular or controversial figures. David Segal, a writer for The Washington Post, calls the expression “the cliché of the 2008 campaign”.

From Urban Dictionary:

One is thrown under the bus when they are made the scapegoat or blamed for something that wasn’t their responsibility in the first place. A coverup for your mistake.

So this didn’t happen in Lars’ case, he wasn’t blamed for the loss, wasn’t made the scapegoat, didn’t take the fall. Michel Therrien instead spoke of following the game plan and problems in the second period, nothing targeted at a specific player.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

43. SteverenO says:

Not sure that Murray returning from injury will make a huge difference, or even a small difference for that matter.

Here are this years numbers of our current defensemen, expressed as minutes of even strength ice time per goal scored/allowed by the team.

Beaulieu: 29:37 TOI 1 GF –O GA== 1 GF every 30 minutes – O goals against
    Markov; 156:48 12 GF – 3 GA = 1 GF every 13 mins , 1 GA every
    52 minutes
    Douglas Murray numbers :

2013 San Jose: 1 GF every 37 mins , 1 GA every 24 minutes
    2012 San Jose: 1 GF every 31 mins , 1 GA every 34 minutes
    2011 San Jose: 1 GF every 26 mins , 1 GA every 28 minutes

Personally I d be happier seeing a young defenseman, either of Tinordi, Beaulieu, or Patteryn, in the line up than Murray, and the salary going to Murray could be used for a forward that can contribute to the offense,

regards,

Steve O.

44. BigB says:

Just got tix to see our team on March 6. VERY excited. If you watch the game, look for a HIO poster a few rows behind our bench.

Question:
    I am flying my teenager in from another state to attend the game with me. His wish has been to meet PK. Anyone got any ideas on how I can make this happen? In June he’s leaving for military service so I really want him to meet the man. Any help would be appreciated.

Habs forever!

• GrimJim says:

Try contacting either the Canadiens public relations office or the Canadiens alumni association and explain the situation. Make sure you include a comment like “I don’t know if you are the people I should be talking to but if you aren’t can to direct me to who would be best able to help me”. The only other thing I can think of is, if you know which agency represents Subban, contact the agency’s public relations department and try th same tactic. Just be prepared for disappointment. Getting a request/wish granted for a healthy 17 year old is a lot tougher than for a sick child (for example)…

• reddog24 says:

Try contacting Michael Terrian or PK himself and tell him your story. I am sure you can get a chance to maybe get into morning skate. Contact the Habs web to find out how to get your letter or email delivered to them. No harm in asking. Good Luck.

Thursday!
    Up in the morning, and on the train at 8am, heading to The HIO Summit.
    Tomorrow night, I will be giving a standing ovation to Koivu at the Bell Center.
    Friday, I have some running around to do and then headed to Hurley’s for name tags and to meet and greet with everyone.
    See you all there my friends!

READ PLEASE.
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

46. Maritime Ronn says:

hi Timo

I was just curious as to your age…using the Gregorian Calendar, and not well, you know….
    :-)

47. Stevie.Ray says:

Thoughts on Galchenyuk last night?

He started the season strong but I saw last year him doing some of the things that were causing him problems. He always seems to be just just an inch behind or an inch ahead.

What I mean is his shots seems to always catch a piece of the Defencemans leg, or he makes a deke and he almost gets by but he is thwarted. He’s always so close, but can’t quite finish.

Agree?

• Timo says:

I noticed that most of his shots don’t get through… but I still think he played well and made a couple of crazy moves. I am not worried about him coming around.

• jols101 says:

He got off to a great start with 7 points in 4 games. He has cooled off dramatically. But in the last 5 games he has created some great scoring chances for his line mates and for himself but the bounces just aren’t going his way. He could easily have 10 or 11 points right now. It isn’t for lack of effort or creating opportunities. He is still getting chances and making things happen offensively, he is just in a mini slump.

• mark-ID says:

About Galchenyuk. Talking to a friend the other day, I mentioned how I watched him quite a bit last year at the start of the season in Sarnia and at the world juniors. A lot of his goals were laser shots(from far) to the corners.
      Ever since he’s joined the Habs, I find when he gets into position to shoot, he tends to miss the net altogether.
      The league is obviosuly a lot faster and goalies bigger……I’m sure he will start hitting the net more as he matures. It is definately something he has got to work on.

His hands in close are unreal though.
      Just an observation I had with him.

• jols101 says:

Ya, his wrist shot was something to behold when he was in Sarnia. A laser-beam which hit the mark more often than not. I’ve seen him unload several times in the NHL but it always seems a couple inches to high.

• J_P says:

I agree. His offensive strengths in Junior really are not on display in the NHL. I would understand if he was a player who scored a lot by grinding in the hard areas like Gallagher, or made a lot of dazzling moves off the rush. However, a lot of his goals were, as you said, laser beams. Its definitely curious.

The only thing I could think of is the NHL is so much faster that areas where he used to be able to sneak away and find space to shoot just arent there anymore.

• habs12 says:

something else I noticed is that the defence is much better at closing the gab between him and the net when hes about to shoot, and they also have much better stick positioning to deflect and block shots than Ive seen junior defensemen possess.

The goal against ottawa in the playoffs last year was the closest thing to his goals in junior so far, and a glimpse of what he can really do when he finds the space.

• oldtimerguy says:

he’s thinking too much…trying to be too fine…he needs to study mike bossy…quick release…don’t think, just fire it….as soon as its on your stick and your in a good shooting zone, fire it.

48. TheDagger says:

I just saw an ad on the side of HIO for the Cyclones of the ECHL… apparently tomorrow is $1 beer night.
    Hey Geoff…. this is how you do it!!! Would be entertaining to see the Bell Centre all gooned up on $1 Molsons!

49. TheDagger says:

I bet when Gorges closes his eyes all he sees are shin pads. That’s certainly all he looks at when he has the puck at the point.

50. L Elle says:

So who did Bourque play with in Calgary allowing him to score so many goals? Is he supposed to make Pleks better, or is the centre supposed to make his wingers better?

• shiram says:

Think he was played more in exploitation role back then, now he’s usually played with Pleks line whose responsibilities are all over the 200 feet of ice.

• L Elle says:

Yes, different roles, different teams, but still would like to know who his line mates were. Are you sure he had no defensive responsibilities in Calgary? I seem to remember him on the PP as well.

• Eddie says:

you are absolutely correct Elle. Bourque used to play power play in Calgary and he could count on several of his goals on the PP.

Also, when we first acquired Bourque he was used on the penalty kill and power play.

Show me a centreman who does NOT have 200 feet of responsibility and I will show you a very short career.

• L Elle says:

Thanks Eddie, I wasn’t 100% sure, not having seen too many Flames’ games, but I remembered a much better and engaged player in Bourque with different line mates.

• krob1000 says:

A little bit of both actually. Better players play well with better players…is that too hard of a concept for people to understand on this site? sometimes a player struggles or chemistry is off or it takes a while to develop…but general rule of thumb…better players play best with other better players…

• L Elle says:

My comment was a question and a statement, a questment if you must. ;)

Still need the names though. Bourque and Pleks are both good players, and I agree that doesn’t mean much, without chemistry.

• krob1000 says:

lol…wasn’t directed at you in particular…just the underlying theme of the day has somehow had Pleks as at fault despite him being one of the few players who has been playing well ver the two rough outings. I think Pleks needs some pp time and at least one winger who is botha shooting and passing threat. People forget Pleks is a 20 plus goal guy and could push 30 when also given another playmaker/scorer. Gionta is a shoot first guy and Bourque is as well…leaving PLeks little to work with. HE is most effective with a guy like Kostitsyn who although a great shooter was also a very creative guy and could make plays and they fed off each other…issue was Andrei was prone to long hibernation periods.

• L Elle says:

Nice assessment, AK and Pleks had major chemistry. AK also had success with Eller for a brief time, before being separated.

What can Pleks do to be more creative with the line mates he has, because he’s stuck with them, for now.

• oldtimerguy says:

pleks needs to be traded….he’s about the only guy who really get us anything of real value.

• Lafleurguy says:

Matching stats and +/-, appears he played with different centres with the Flames, Craig Conroy, Olli Jokinen, Daymond Langkow. David Moss was on right wing. Flames had an impressive defence with Phaneuf, Giordano, Regher, Bouwmeester. Jokinen and Bourque were a team-worst -17 one year.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• L Elle says:

Nice detective work Lguy. Does this mean our teams’ defense makes all our forwards look bad/average?

• Habfan10912 says:

Bourque is another one of the veterans that need to step up. He should be buying players like DD, Moen, and Frankie B dinner at every opportunity because they take a lot of heat that would be going his way.

• aroma says:

Bourque’s only problem is that he’s a big forward that forgets that what he is supposed to do is crash the net and create problems for the goaltender and fish for loose pucks. The way he plays most games, he is pretty useless to the team. Strangely, Desharnais was the only player on that line last night who seemed motivated to play hard. I mean, the little fellah really seems to be trying. Moen and Bourque? Largely disinterested. I look for the line to begin logging fourth line minutes.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a great summation of his game thus far this season, Aroma.

• L Elle says:

I agree that is his role. So he’s a bum in Montreal but was productive in Calgary. Is this because of his line mates, or coaching decisions?

Ryder also did well elsewhere, but flopped with said line mates, and/or coaching.

There seems to be a pattern developing here. And no doubt DD tries hard.

• J_P says:

He spent a lot of quality minutes playing with this guy named Jerome Iginla lol

I was so upset when the habs acquired bourque because not only is he a very streaky player, hes also a fantasy hockey nightmare, as he seemed to get off to hot starts then just trail off.

51. Cape Breton says:

Tinordi (Scapegoat) to Hamilton reminds me of the Blue Jays firing their scapegoat, the pitching coach, earlier this month

• doc359 says:

Or maybe Management wants to give him a few games of heavy minutes so that he can keep up his confidence and development?

Not everything is the end of the world

• krob1000 says:

How is he the scapegoat? They are trying an older player who is off to a good start in HAmilton. They are also aware that Tinordi’s deelopment is best served playing and right now theye prefer Beaulieu over him. Why not give him 3 games of a lot of ice in Hamilton? I fail to see the downside of this move…

• aroma says:

He’s no scapegoat, but he is very green. Beaulieu and he need to enjoy some success at the AHL level and refine their games. What I don’t quite understand is the reluctance of management to bring up Pateryn, a more seasoned, right handed shot. And if they don’t find a way to cut Markov’s minutes, he’ll be but a shell of himself by March if not sooner.

Whoops, someone just reported that Pateryn is called up. That will help Bouillion and other D’men who have been playing the wrong side.

52. Maksimir says:

Aaron Rome on waivers – Habs should pick him up if only because he knocked out Nathan Horton in Finals.

53. mahabs4life says:

Pateryn recalled as per Renaud Lavoie.

54. montreal ace says:

The team is still over 500 with quite a few player injured, this fact does not make me unhappy. I think the rotation of the young dmen, gives them a chance to step back and slow the game down mentally. Max being injured seems to mean we lost DD also, but its not all on him. I can still see him as being effective with 2 big wingers, but we just don’t have them. Patrick Holland I really like, some nice moves and smart with the puck. This is probably the Cubes last year, and I think that his working with the kids, is harder then most think. Last thing is losing to the Oilers is not the end of the world, they do have talent.

Gorges says “we have to learn from out mistakes” (starting out well and fading out)

Of course… because last night was the first time it ever happened to Habs. Gawd, these guys are slow learners.

I love this from Murray (just read the article above)

“I just want to hit some people”

57. shiram says:

On the Eller quip about the Oilers, does anyone else feel like the coach should have backed his player some, at least in front of the media.
    He could have given him the talk aftwerwards, if he felt it was such an important thing.

58. adamkennelly says:

if there is any truth to the Simon Gagne rumours – I mean ANY..like if MB is even thinking about it- I may send my resume to Geoff Molson.

59. Max_a_million says:

@mattyleg
    – Emelin – Freak bodycheck accident – knee twist as he fell
    He was also trying too hard to be tough

– Prust – Freak falling accident – fell going into boards
    This happens to him every year. He doesn’t slow down. I don’t think a regular occurrence counts as a freak accident.

– Briere – Freak contact accident – got clipped in the head accidentally
    This happens to him every year. His head is where other people hit it a lot. I don’t think a regular occurrence counts as a freak accident.

• ahabsfanoutwest says:

Emelin freak bodycheck WHAT??????

youtube Emelin-Lucic and slow it down. You’ll see Lucic’s knee come up and destroy Emelin’s knee. Pay attention damn it!!!

Leo

Leo

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi Outwest.

I admire but despise Lucic, despite which I can’t bring myself to believe there was malice in how he braced for Emelin’s hit. To me it looked more instinctive than devious. (However, because it’s Lucic, I remain open to persuasion).
        Cheers

• Nina76 says:

Max-a-million I agree with your post but why do we take players that have had the sane injuries 2 yrs, in a row plus they are very close to thirty or over which makes them more pron to getting hurt and still taking smurfs we need big players like all the other teams we will bw lucky to make the playoffs at the rate we are going.very disappointed any thoughts on this?

60. Mavid says:

cheer up our chances of making the playoffs are 75.9%

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

61. Mike T says:

Why is no one getting on Gionta’s case yet? He’s two steps behind where he would have been in seasons passed. He loses the puck in almost every battle he’s in. He’s a waste of space and time on the PP!

I feel like he’s getting a free pass because we put the “C” on his jersey.

62. Mavid says:

I am so SICK of hearing about assclown’s game against his old team..enough already..imagine what it will be like when he returns to Ottawa…sigh..I bet they will have a week of tributes to him leading up to the game..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

63. dizzy says:

Hello, I` am new ere but have been reading all your posted for years!

I believe it is time for Gionta, Moen, Bourque to move on! Very slow, and do not come out every nite with the effort to win game! Nothing worse than seeing players back check half ass, swinging there sticks instead of moving there feet! There s no stop and starts, they fly bye! Its obvious they practice this way so when game time comes they do not know any better! These guys are professionals and they play like peewees do! Just terrible to watch! As for the coach Therrien….he is not a coach and will never be! He can not adjust to game and seems to play favorites! Play the players which play instead of the ones who dragg there A$$

64. Habfan10912 says:

So the Lar’s backlash enters day 2 because the coach once again didn’t say the right thing publicly about a young player.

65. Maritime Ronn says:

A couple of questions for the HIO faithful:

1) Since the last part of last year and the beginning of this year, who does Eller remind you of as a Center?
    Any chance of some Bobby Smith in him….and at times, the calmness and patience of holding on to the puck, and vision sometimes shows flashes of Malkinesque – that is, without the laser.

2) The Habs seem to have had a steady parade to the injury squad in the past couple of years and no one seems immune – big guys-small guys…forwards and Dmen.
    Is it just big time bad luck, or the way the team is asked to play the game, or the way other teams have treated the Habs players, or a conditioning/flexibility issue, or are the old Forum hockey gods still upset about the move?

• knob says:

1) who ever it is, it is someone that we have been missing for a long time.
      2) the curse of Patrick Roy, or bad luck.

• Mattyleg says:

2) Let’s look at our injuries this year:

– Emelin – Freak bodycheck accident – knee twist as he fell
      – Murray – Practice, not sure
      – Parros – Freak falling accident – broke fall with face
      – Max – Freak falling accident – went down awkwardly under pressure
      – Prust – Freak falling accident – fell going into boards
      – Briere – Freak contact accident – got clipped in the head accidentally
      – Drewiske – Don’t remember

There is nothing that indicates that we have had to play games differently to other teams.
      These injuries haven’t come from other teams being tougher on us.

Now I’m not a superstitious man, but the only plausible answer is ghosts.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Fransaskois says:

1) Mikko Koivu with a little more pep in his step and a little more jam in his bam.

2) Might have to do with conditioning for a guy like Murray and early-season Beaulieu (shoulder). But for the most part, it seems to be a couple of freak accidents and recurring issues. Can’t do a whole lot about it IMO.

• Cal says:

1. Smith was a better passer in tight quarters. How he’d find tiny Mats in those scrums was amazing.
      2. The team is too passive. Has been for a long time. Since prior to the move many very stupid decisions were made.
      The first really stupid decision was to hire Ronald Corey. The 2nd was to make the hockey operations department (Serge Savard and company) report to him. The 3rd was the panic that cleared the hockey people out and the hiring of bumpkins Houle and Tremblay. After Roy upset the apple cart, the team began its slow descent into complete mediocrity. Apart from a few flashes of yesteryear, the team has remained in that mold.

• oldtimerguy says:

malkin’esque? hahahahahahahha….. me thinks someone wants to suckee suckee larsyboy

Hahah… Therrien also said that Gionta and Plekanec created a lot of chances. Was I watching a different Montreal game last night?

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t you always?

I saw the chances MT is talking about.
      Pleks’s line got most of the shots, Gionta missed an open net when the rebound popped out between his legs…

You were watching the ‘Therrien Sucks’ show, starring all the players and management you dislike. There’s little focus on the actual game when that show is on.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

You might be right. You most likely are.

• jrshabs1 says:

I watched the same game as Timo did last night. Maybe Eller was refering to his own D with said comments. Tinordi sent down while Diaz gets his free pass. That just blows! Would Georges and Diaz even be paired up on a Junior team? What direction is this team heading in? I thought MB wanted a harder team to play against? This team is ripe for a beating once they start playing in their own division. Help!

Go Habs Go!!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Plex or Gionta could have made it 3-0

• knob says:

I thought that Plek’s line was pretty solid. The defence though is a different story.

67. --Habs-- says:

Don’t know how much more of DD i can watch. Moen looks uninterested again! Whats going on. Maybe the coach should stop dropping the F bomb and start using words that motivate and inspire

Go HABS Go

Therrien said in his press conference today that Briere still has symptoms and is not skating.

69. thebonscott says:

does anyone know why the habs are not using LTIR to free up cap space for the long term injured???? Drewiske? Briere?? Emelin??
    murray??

For the sake of all that is right, please put the comment box on upper right of page!!!!!

• Old Bald Bird says:

Maybe because they will have a personnel problem whenever those guys return. They will have to dump salary, which isn’t necessarily very easy.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a great question Scott. Try asking again when one ofvoyr CBA experts like Habfab or Commandant are on the site. Would love to hear the explanation.

• HammerHab says:

Retroactive IR. Teams can wait until the day before a guy returns to IR him and they will receive cap relief for the entire time he was out.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

70. johnnylarue says:

I think I’ve found my happy place with regards to this team.

I care just enough to feel a genuine thrill when Gallagher scores a beauty of a goal as he did last night, but not so much that it bums me out when the team subsequently embarrasses itself by allowing the Edmonton Oilers to score four unanswered goals against them.

I guess I’ve finally found a way not to take the mediocrity personally. Diminished expectations? Maybe. Whatever it is, it feels great!

71. Mattyleg says:

Aaron Rome’s on waivers!
    Let’s get him!
    Get him get him get him!
    He’s amaaaaaaaazing!!!
    Sooooo much better than DD. Amiright?
    Eh? Am I right!

Lemme get a ‘hell yeah!’

Rome!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

72. Eddie says:

For 5 years we have been reading that “Plekanec needs better wingers”. I just read it in a post down below again.

Not that Plekanec is anything close to Crosby, because he’s not, but anyone ever write down the names of the wingers Crosby has next to him?

A truly great centreman makes his wingers better. That, in fact, is one of the purest qualities of a great centreman.

In my opinion, Eller is flying right by Plekanec, and it’s happening very quickly these days.

We can bitch and complain all we want about Desharnais, but he’s worth about a cup of Timmy Hoe’s coffee if we throw in the deuce.

So let’s get real ladies and gents.

When the day of reckoning comes, and Galchenyuk is moved to center, Plekanec will be traded for an excellent return; but he’s not a great player and he never has been a great player.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Didn’t Pleks have Eller’s linemates for a couple of recent games? There was a time when people on this board opined that Pleks made his linemates better. Now, there is moaning because he never gets good ones. Are Gionta and Borque really so bad?

• krob1000 says:

The bottom line is he produces no matter who he plays with….not sure he makes indivisual palyers better but any line he plays on is now better and more responsible and can now play against anyone. Personally I don’t think the EGG line shouold be together right now. OF course they are getting chances…they are 3 of the teams best 4 healthy forwards. Split them and they will all still get tehir chances but more balance is needed IMO.

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t follow you, Eddie.
      Plekanec has been our most consistently effective player for the past 8 years, despite the quality of his wingers.
      He has produced often, and never complained.

Comparing Plekanec to Crosby is not really useful. They are different types of players, and Crosby is the best in the league. Of course no-one is going to look good compared to him. It’s like comparing Carbonneau to Gretzky.

As for ‘greatness’, it is in the eye of the beholder. I consider Plekanec great.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Eddie says:

I consider Plekanec to be like a Patrick Sharp, for example. No one would call Sharp a “great” player and he is as good if not slightly better than Plekanec. He makes about the same money, scores a little higher pace, but they are very similar players.

That’s my point.

And had the Blackhawks not gotten Toews, they never would have won the Cups with Sharp alone.

Galchenyuk will become our Jonathan Toews, and Eller is a fantastic number 2 centerman to play right behind him.

• knob says:

I have to agree with the Centre dilemma. Plek would be a solid 3rd line centre….just not at his current contract. Maybe a combo of Galchenyuk, Eller, Bournival/Leblanc, and White.

73. mark-ID says:

Greg Pateryn is being recalled, to be made official later in the day. As per Renaud Lavoie.