Tinordi excited about making his NHL debut

Jarred Tinordi, the Canadiens’ first-round pick (22nd overall) at the 2010 NHL entry draft, is excited about making his NHL debut against the Devils Saturday in New Jersey (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“I didn’t really expect it, but obviously that’s pretty exciting,” Tinordi said about being called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The 6-foot-6 defenceman is hoping to have family in attendance at the game.

“New Jersey is about a three-hour drive from home, so we’ll see,” said Tinordi, who grew up in Maryland near Washington, D.C.

His father Mark played on the blue line in the NHL, including five seasons with the Washington Capitals.

Tinordi will be parnered with Francis Bouillon on the blue line.

Michael Ryder has a lower body injury and didn’t travel with the team to New Jersey. The Canadiens called up forward Mike Blunden from Hamilton to take his place.

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Devils

Tinordi excited about NHL debut, by Brenda Branswell

Habs sign Desharnais to four-year extension, by Brenda Branswell

Desharnais finally hits the jackpot, by Stu Cowan

Gallagher a favourite for Calder Trophy, by Pat Hickey

Players taking bigger hit in escrow payments, by Pat Hickey

Habs rookies pick up tab, by Pat Hickey

Two goalies were part of Dick Irvin’s bottomless bag of tricks, by Dave Stubbs

Devils set to honour goaltending guru Jacques Caron, by The Star-Ledger

1. Bill says:

Tom, I have always guessed Kristo will go on the market as that would certainly make sense … But thats a good point about the one game thing. I didn’t know that actually.

Anyway, he could be ready to step in next year, and there is an opening on the right side when Ryder leaves, so … maybe?

Ha. Hey, would he be eligible or able to sign with Montreal and play in the playoffs? Just a hypothetical, not a suggestion.

• Loonie says:

Yes he could play with the Habs in these playoffs.

• Habfan10912 says:

And if the current injury situation continues, its becoming a likely possibility. The kid flat out flies out there.

• Loonie says:

You could be right but I consider Kristo signing with the Habs a long shot at this point.

He’s mentioned the desire for a title with UND but I honestly don’t believe him as his reason for staying but I just don’t believe him.

Playing his senior year at UND maximizes his value if he decides to hit the free agent market and he’s proven to be incredibly immature.

I’m sure that some will disagree with the maturity comment but the proof is in the pudding.

• Habfan10912 says:

I hear ya Tom. I hope you’re wrong about this but share your fear although I am a bit of a nervous Nellie. My nephew is the trainer for a college hockey team who played UND twice this season. He was blown away by his speed.

• Loonie says:

Funny he played on the U.S. WJHC team with Jordan Schroeder and the analysts were all in awe at Schroeder’s speed.

I said at the time Kristo was faster than any current Hab and stand by that view even today. Schroeder can’t lace up Kristo’s skates let alone move faster.

He truly has elite speed.

• likehoy says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRpKxw98-Tc danny kristo highlights from this season

2. Loonie says:

Gudbranson is a standout too bud.

3. Lafleurguy says:

Five defensemen were picked ahead of young Tinordi in the 2010 draft:
    Eric Gudbranson, Dylan McIlrath, Cam Fowler, Brandon Gormley, and Derek Forbort. These are the cohorts JT can be measured against (we know JT is the tallest, but Gudbranson may be the best fighter). So far, the standouts from that draft are Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Jeff Skinner, Vladimir Tarasenko, and a handful of promising young forwards including that Giant (Vancouver) Brendan Gallagher chosen 147th. The goalies from that draft are still developing no doubt.

Montreal had no 2nd or 3rd round picks that year. Mark MacMillan and Morgan Ellis were chosen in the 4th round.

“May you live in interesting times.”

4. HabFab says:

HabsWorld grades the forwards for the 2nd quarter;

5. Loonie says:

Kristo dominating discussion again.

Pros for him to sign with Montreal. Can burn a year of RFA status with one game, gets into the same organization as his buddy Louis Leblanc and down the road Mark MacMillan.

Cons for him to sign with Montreal. Doesn’t get to choose from multiple offers. May not have room to get into the NHL lineup as a regular for two years.

He has options. It isn’t definitive which route he’s going to go but he’s basically in a position where he’s going to weigh burning a year of RFA status against the opportunity to pick from what will surely be more than a handful of teams.

Nobody, probably not even Kristo himself knows which way he’s going to go.

We’ll know soon enough though.

Edit: My gut feeling is that he goes to a team that offers him the chance to be an NHL regular right away, and I don’t think that will be Montreal.

6. Rad says:

I don’t think anyone expects Jarred Tinordi to be an “elite” NHL defenseman. He will be a very good defensive D-man who can clear the crease, play a physical game, and fight when he has to. He will probably be on the 1st Pairing killing penalties. He is also a character guy who, down the road, will likely wear an “A” or “C” on his jersey. In sum, Jarred will be a rock on the Montreal blue line for a long time.

7. RS says:

What are the chances that Kristo signs a contract (after the NCAA playoffs) and joins the Habs for the end of the NHL season/playoffs this year?

• commandant says:

I think he joins the Bulldogs. I don’t see him being an NHL player yet.

He probably gets 1 game with the Habs just to burn a year on the ELC and entice his signature.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• RS says:

I’m thinking of they way Chris Kreider joined the Rangers a couple years ago.

Then he could still very well start in Hamilton next year.

• otter649 says:

Chris Kreider this years no doubt rookie of the year finalist according to Pierre McGuire but is now in The AHL but should not be to as per the experienced NHL Head Coach Resume of PM of 20 years ago……

• Haberoooo13 says:

Agreed…not sure, how his game will fit NHL in the long run, but I hope he stays in the Hab organization for at least 3 years for us to find out.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• 24 Cups says:

Kristo could be in Hamilton next year and Collberg has already committed to stay in Sweden. That leaves a one year gap to replace Ryder/Cole on RW. Might have to bring in a mid/low level UFA for a year.

On the other hand, Kristo could force the issue a bit by stating that he’ll only sign with Montreal if he’s guaranteed a spot in the NHL right away. Not sure how that would sit with MB and MT.

As for this year’s playoffs, there is no spot for him to play. Only a major injury would bring that about. He might also wait until August before he signs.

• RS says:

Four rounds of playoff hockey, there’s bound to be a few injuries. Yes, kidding (mostly). More seriously, look at the Dogs, when Dumont and Blunden are the first guys to call up, then there isn’t much in terms of offensive ability available.

And I could see MB and MT using the chance to join a playoff run as a carrot to get Kristo signed to a contract.

• Caesar says:

It’s hard to compare NCAA speed to the NHL but he seems so much faster than the other guys on the ice on the little video I have seen of him. It looks like he’s NHL ready on speed and hands but maybe needs work on his D. It’s hard to tell because you never see a “great back checking clip” on you tube

• commandant says:

Two way game and defensive responsibility is one of the best parts of Kristo’s game.

Of course that doesn’t mean its NHL ready either, because its quite the jump from NCAA to NHL.

Also as Kreider is learning this year, a couple weeks of success in very sheltered minutes in last year’s playoffs does not guarantee future success.

The biggest thing Kristo may need to adjust for is size and strength of NHLers.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

8. RS says:

I seriously doubt that Tinordi will ever be an elite NHL defenceman. But that’s okay. He has size and the potential to be an everyday player.

I’ve said it before, that if he could become the next Hal Gill (long NHL career as a good D, and a PK specialist) that’s a great benefit for the Habs!

Well gotta go put some time in at work today, great discussions this morning folks, what a pleasure to spend time with all of you here this fine Saturday morning.

CHeers to all of you!

10. showey47 says:

I wonder who is going to play the right side tonight since both the cube and tinordi are left handed shots? I would think they play tinordi on the left side.Its going to take some time for him to adjust to the speed at this level nevermind asking him to play the right side.

11. Caesar says:

Gallagher is a lock for the team next year but does Chucky stay with the big club or start in Hamilton for developement a la Maxpac?
    I assume Chucky is only up because it’s a short season and Junior was a waste of time for him.

• commandant says:

He’d need to go to Junior again next season due to age, and is not eligible for the AHL until 2014-15, so I figure he’s up with the big club again.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Danno says:

He is an asset to the team right now. Why deprive ourselves of his talent? He is getting far more valuable development with the big club than he would going back to the juniors.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Sportfan says:

That’s an interesting question, I think if he struggles here next season they may send him down so he can get big minutes, but you never know they might like how he is developing

• Caesar says:

Commandant wrote he would still have to be returned to Junior and there’s no waythat would help him at all in my opinion. He has to stay because in 2 years he won’t need any more minor league developement.

By the way the posing this morning is how a first place team should be discussed. I remember last year and all the negativty. this year it’s all about who the next best prospect is and it looks like our cupboard is filling up with a lot of talent. Not only projected superstars but some grinders and “throwers” that are essential to a winning team.

And Gally MaxPac Price DD Subban Emelin Eller Gorges area all relatively young. Add Tokarksi ( I still don’t know how we got him????) to the mix and our future is looking good.
        Where Edmonton and the Islanders have focused on pure offensive talent we have looked to get some good D mixed in like St.Louis, LA and Chicago.

Our biggest problem right now is we will be drafting high in a deep year and Philly Buff Wash FLa Tor and possibly Det will all be drafting low this year.

What a great problem to have

12. commandant says:

There was a question about the difference between Galchenyuk and Bozon.

Here is the thing. Bozon is a nice prospect and I like him a lot, so don’t take this as a slight to him at all. Galchenyuk is just special.

The shot and release, its incredible and while Bozon is good, Galchenyuk is on another level.

Vision and passing skill, again, Chucky just takes it up a notch.

Hands, Galchenyuk has some of the best I’ve ever seen out of an 18 year old. Bozon is again good, but the next level is what makes Galchenyuk special.

In pretty much every pure skill Chucky is just at an elite level, where as Bozonis at a good or very good level. Its the difference between a special prospect and your second/third rounder who you hope can make it if he keeps improving.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Haberoooo13 says:

It’s great to have these young assets in the organization to have these discussions about!

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Loonie says:

When it’s all said and done Hudon will be the steal of that draft like Gallagher in his so far.

The kid just needs to stay healthy.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, those hands – incredibly quick.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good points commandant, and I agree.

Another way to explain it is that the RDS guys all agree that Alex Galchenyuk is a ‘can’t miss’ player, who looked like he belonged from the first time he stepped on the ice at the prospect camp. The veterans like Mario Tremblay, Vincent Damphousse, etc., all immediately recognized him as a special player, a difference-maker, and they immediately started to look for comparatives. When was the last time a Canadiens rookie was so impressive at first glance, they asked each other. Was it Stéphane Richer? Chris Chelios? Guy Lafleur maybe? That’s the level of his skill, his size, the total package he brings.

Tim Bozon meanwhile is a nice player, and does some things very well, but when I saw him live, I had to search the ice for him, look at the jersey numbers to ascertain whether he was on the ice. He doesn’t stand out from all the players, as Alex does with his size and speed and moves. So Tim has a good chance with hard work and some luck to make a good career in the NHL, but Alex seems destined for greatness right off the bat.

All this talk of our Defence prospects to go along with a young Subban has me downright giddy and harkens me back to 1984 when we had a wonderful group of young dmen with Chelios, Ludwig, Kurvers, Svoboda with a Larry Robinson and Rick Green playing mentor.

Something happened though with that group that I really hope doesn’t repeat itself. Well two things, first of all the trading of Chelios and I don’t believe for a minute our present management will do that with Subban. But what happened with that squad occurred about 4 years later to an aging Larry Robinson. Andrei Markov is no Larry Robinson but he is a great Hab and a great defenseman in our teams rich history.

I really want to see Andrei Markov retire as a Hab, I don’t want to see him in an L.A. King or any other NHL teams jersey to finish out his career. We have enough depth at defence it appears to replace Markov when the time is right, that we shouldn’t have to trade away Markov.

Just as Lidstrom was able to retire as a RedWing having never donned another NHL team jersey I want to see Markov only have worn a Habs sweater. To me it would be a classy move that allows the younger Dmen to see how a great player can and should be treated by an organization.

• ABHabsfan says:

It would be gooid to see Markov retire as a Hab, I totally agree. However that has to partly depend on Markov as well; if he retires after next season. I’m not sure he can be resigned beyond that given those old knees and the glut of young’ns coming along. There are 7 picks in the 1st 3 rounds this coming draft as well, you have to think at least 1 or 2 will be d-men.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• 24 Cups says:

Markov will be looking at a +35 contract in the summer of 2014. Gionta, Diaz and Emelin are all UFAs at the same time. Subban and Eller are RFAs who are past bridging contracts. Galchenyuk could go to 5-6M the year after.

MB wants to set a standard with bridge contracts. I wonder if he’ll want to bring in a new rule of just giving out one year deals to +35 players. And if so, I wonder how many guys will buy into that notion.

• savethepuck says:

100% agreed. Would love to see him play his entire career as a Hab.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

I totally agree with the sentiment, I just don’t know how plausible it is in Andrei’s case. He has dropped a gear, his skating is more laboured than before, and he will be pushed by the plethora of prospects we have discussed on defence. Something has to give at some point.

Playing in favour of this occurring is that Andrei seems to be a creature of habit and happy to be in Montréal, not looking for greener pastures. Also, his smarts seem to more than offset his more limited mobility.

14. Old Bald Bird says:

Chris Lee tonight

15. rogus says:

What’s all this jibber jabber about Thrower being 7th man on the depth
    Chart in a few years? He’s better than Dietz right now, so why would that change?

I think most of the people watching the Blades play this year would completely disagree with you. Dietz appears to be the MVP and best player on that Saskatoon Blades team this year. This isn’t to negate the potential of Thrower, but Dietz appears to have all the tools and most importantly the maturity.

• commandant says:

I agree, since January Dietz has been the better of the two players.

Since Dietz was a very young 2011 draft pick… and Thrower was one of the older 2012 draftees, there is only a slight difference in age between the two (basically a couple months).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

I’m not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou. (Fargo)

At the start of this season, I may have agreed. Dietz has had quite a year. The growth in his game has been amazing. Timmins has another 5th round gem.

Thrower has skill o’plenty and I thought he was a great draft pick. This has not been a great season for him, that’s certain.

Both will be in Hamilton next year and we can better determine who has more potential – both may one day patrol the Habs blueline. But today, I would suggest Dietz is the better bet.

16. Loonie says:

If we can assume anything regarding our prospects on defense it’s that the guys who are going to be counted on as defense first specialists need to bring something exceptional to the table.

Guys like Pateryn and Ellis need to distinguish themselves in some way before they become afterthoughts. Look at Josh Gorges, great shot blocker and tremendous when defending the rush. Jarred Tinordi, exceptionally big and very effective physically. Emelin, probably the best open ice checker in the game today, at the very least in the conversation.

Young Pateryn and Ellis will have to either develop exceptional position and instincts defensively or they’ll be hoping to make the NHL as full-timers with different organizations.

Not sure if the Ekman-Larsson signing has been posted.

Moving forward, it might be difficult for MB to stick with his bridge contracting. If Galchenyuk goes nuclear in year three he’s not going to want to pass on an extra 6M.

• ed says:

Stubbs tweets on the right side of the page that Paciorretty’s bridge was “opened” and extended.

That might be used as a negotiation strategy.

Sign the bridge, and we will re-evaluate after 1 complete season.

If we agree, we could sign the long term deal after 1 season.

• 24 Cups says:

That’s a nice compromise, Ed. I like it. Looking ahead, the only player that Montreal might have to fight on the bridge deal will be Galchenyuk. All the others won’t have the same profile or leverage.

• savethepuck says:

If Chucky develops like we all hope and expect him too, I’ll be shocked if he has to sign a bridge contract. You can’t compare apples to oranges. A 3rd overall in the NHL at 18 yrs old is different.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

18. Strabo says:

I find it exciting to read all the posts on here. The what if’s of all the different scenarios, but everyone should remember that not all of these great prospects will make it to the NHL. Injuries will happen, life will happen, and some just won’t be able to make the transition. Take for example the Dman Dietz with the Blades, he is having a great year, and by all reports should be on the blue line in Hamilton next year. Natural progression, but it could stop there, maybe it’s just a little to fast for him, or he gets injured and his career is over. Hopefully nothing happens and he’s on the blue line in Montreal one day, but that is exactly why you don’t trade what you have, based on what if’s. Sure is exciting though … what if?

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

• Loonie says:

I think you can safely put the following in ink…..

Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Tinordi and Beaulieu. Nygren if he wants to be in the NHL.

Anything else is a guess.

• Ozmodiar says:

Tinordi – Subban
        Emelin – Diaz
        Beaulieu – Nygren

One question that comes to mind is – will they want 4 PMD in the line-up?

Another is – where’s Gorges? …but let’s not get into that.

• Loonie says:

I don’t want to(but inadvertently did) speculate as to who will be gone.

I just think that it’s a sure thing that Tinordi and Beaulieu will make it and if there’s mutual interest with Nygren he will be too.

19. von says:

Another three-point game with NJ/Philly going to a shootout last night. Devils should be tired after traveling. If the boys come out gangbusters, as my Mom would say, should be able to put this one away early…

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

20. Sportfan says:

So we talk about Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn, but does Morgan Ellis have a real shot on this team?

• Habfan17 says:

I think so as a 3rd pair partner with Pateryn!
      Tinordi, Subban
      Dietz, Beaulieu
      Pateryn, Ellis
      Thrower

Of course in a couple of seasons

Habfan17

• ed says:

I doubt if Ellis and Pateryn will both make the team and play together.

They are both right handed shots, and play very similar, steady and not flashy, styles.

I saw Ellis in Junior and I like his upside. He has talent, he is steady, and he is a hard worker and a leader.

• Habfan17 says:

In a perfect world It would be nice to have lefties and righties playing on their natural sides. Right now the Habs have players playing on their off sides. Emelin and Gorges have been doing it.
          I don’t think that is a big issue in the NHL today. Look at Bourque, he twice scored 27 goals playing on the right side and now he is playing on the left which is natural side.

Habfan17

• ABHabsfan says:

Magnus Nygren has won the Borje Salming Award as the best Swedish d-man outside the NHL. May need a spot for him as well

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• commandant says:

Ellis showed a lot of talent in the QMJHL last season. He really played well for the Cataractes. He’s struggled a bit in the AHL this year, but thats not uncommon for a 20 year old defenceman. I could definitely see him develop.

Having extra good young D is never a bad thing.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Loonie says:

The only guarantees are Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Unless you count Nygren. I assume that the SEL’s best defenseman can make it to the NHL.

• commandant says:

For sure, there are no guarantees. Thats why having a lot of talented guys like Pateryn, Ellis, Bennett, Nygren, Didier, Dietz, Thrower, is important.

Sure some of these guys will bust. But chances are that a few will make it as well. Now its just trying to give them all the best chance to develop and sorting the wheat from the chaffe down the road.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Loonie says:

The only problem is that you can’t develop 8 guys properly on one team.

Good problem though.

• commandant says:

I assume one of our D (likely Tinordi) will be with the big club next year.

Didier will likely stay in school.

Nygren is signed for one more year in Sweden (however we need to sign him by June 1st and loan him for 1 year of his ELC to his Swedish team, or we lose his rights and he re-enters the draft).

So thats 3 D who likely won’t be in Hamilton.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Loonie says:

Assuming Tinordi, Pateryn or Beaulieu will be a full-time NHLer is a big leap of faith.

21. Mr. Biter says:

UND report from last night. Kristo 2 goals and an assist in 3rd period to lead UND back from 3-1 down to a 5-3 win.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

22. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Tinordi coming up is interesting.
    Pateryn coming and doing well is interesting.
    Dumont coming up and playing well is interesting.
    Gallagher playing so well is interesting.
    Galchenyuk playing so well is interesting.
    Budaj relocating his mojo is interesting.
    Ryder fitting in so well is interesting.
    Bourque starting so well before his injury is interesting.
    Desharnais getting it together after a bad start is interesting.
    Pacioretty, Price, Subban, Diaz, Emelin, Eller, Pleks, Prust, Gorges – interesting.

Dammit habs fans. We are living in interesting times.

23. Strummer says:

Measuring stick game tonite- how well does the team perform after a home shootout victory where they surrendered a 2 goal lead followed by 2 days off on a Saturday.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

24. jimmy shaker says:

Memo to Price:

Please no softies tonight! Time to start stealing some games and the limelight.

Cheers,

Shake and bake

25. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Habfan, you mentioned below the prospect of one of Tinordi or Pateryn replacing a traded Gorges.

I agree. Gorges is not impressive at all down low, and he often looks tentative retrieving the puck from his own end in a hurry. Not saying he is scared, but he looks it.

He is a defensive defenseman. These guys should be big and as fast as possible, with an ability to clear the crease. He does things well, but none of those. I’d trade him.

Too much money and term for a small d-man when you got these guys in the pipeline.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It would be nice to see Gorges paired with a guy like Tinordi. He seemed to be at his best with another big man in Hal Gill. Especially on the penalty kill.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, he would have good value and both Pateryn and Tindordi give us bigger alternative with sandpaper, although Pateryn did not show it yet, he does have an edge

Habfan17

26. Loonie says:

A lot of blogs have suggested it and some fans as well, trading Nathan Beaulieu that is.

I think his skills are tremendously undervalued.

He is a player who has ideal size, offensive creativity, speed, passing, shooting and puck handling.

He’s effective physically when he decides to be and obviously needs to improve his defensive positioning and instincts, both of which come with experience.

Understand that if you suggest trading Nathan Beaulieu, you’re suggesting trading a player who has tangible skills that are better than the same attributes that Subban came into pro hockey with.

Beaulieu has all of the tools to become our best defenseman. He may or may not realize that potential. But if he does there’s a good chance he becomes this team’s best defenseman.

Edit: (sigh), I didn’t realize this post would lead to speculation of replacing the good young defensemen we already have on the roster. I might just go back to bed now.

• Lafleurguy says:

Morning T. Would hate to revisit a Chris Chelios/Eric Desjardins turn of events. These guys should have been Habs for most of their careers.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Loonie says:

Good morning Andrew. The idea of trading Beaulieu for something really nice has come from us already having Subban, Diaz and Emelin on the Habs’ roster and also potentially having a flood of young defensemen in Hamilton. If Bennett leaves school and Nygren wants to come to North America this team could have the following in Hamilton…..

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Pateryn, Dietz, Thrower, Nygren and Bennett. Obviously a position of strength for the organization but when people discuss trading Beaulieu I think they’re discussing the wrong guy.

• ed says:

trading beaulieu? I have not read that on this site.

• Loonie says:

Then it’s obviously never been mentioned.

• ed says:

Beaulieu has unique skill set – especially his skating which is remarkable and his offensive instincts.

He will be the next to make the Habs right after Tinordi.

If he was traded, it would have to be some kind of big deal that would guarantee us a great talent coming back.

Thankfully it is just bloggers/posters writing such. Given MB was a defenceman he has to see the potential in Beaulieu and must be drooling at the thought of having him eventually join the Habs lineup in the near future.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Agreed. Watched Hamilton games on TVA. He might be a better skater than PK. Has size and can hit and fight when inclined to. When his stats explode next year, people will be clamoring for him…

• Hobie Hansen says:

I started off the year watching a lot of Bulldogs because of the lockout and saw Beaulieu in action during 8-10 games. He can definately dance along the blueline during the PP, rush into the play and he likes to sneak in off the point.

The experts say that he does need more experience playing defense and in his own end though…

• Sportfan says:

Trading Beaulieu would be a bad idea he’s offensive and when markov is gone we’ll need another guy to help PK

• Loonie says:

Forgive me but people who hadn’t seen Subban actually play outside of the World Juniors thought he was strictly an offensive defenseman and didn’t know what they were talking about.

Beaulieu has great offensive tools, but that’s not all he’s going to be and not all he is today.

• Habfan17 says:

Beaulieu should be untouchable right now in my opinion. Some people think we should trade to get players like Beaulieu, when we already have them. Look at Detroit, they hang onto their draft picks and give them a chance to fully develop before promoting or trading them. The Devils too!

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

That’s exactly why I brought it up Steve. Lots of talk about how desirable a guy like Ekman-Larsson is.

We have a near replica in Hamilton.

• Habfan17 says:

@ loonie He may be desireable but would cost too much and would be the same as spending to buy something we already have, only at an inflated cost.

When I look at the prospects, the Habs are strong at all positions except left wing. There are some skilled prospects that are at least two seasons away, Bozon and Hudon. Bozon has some size but is not really a power forward. It would be nice to have someone now who is mid to late 20′s and then Bozon and Hudn can develop properly.

Habfan17

• Sportfan says:

I’m not saying that’s just what we want him to do at all its great that he will be an all around player but to have that added offensive ability really helps and we will need it down the road.

• Habfan17 says:

I would not trade any of the defensive prospects, I would prefer to move Gorges, Kaberle, Weber and even Diaz if it would land a 2nd line power left winger. I think Tindordi, Beaulieu, Dietz, and Pateryn will fill out the defence in time with Subban. Ellis too should pair well with Pateryn as a 3rd pair. It would look nice having the following pairs in a season or two.
      Dietz, Beaulieu
      Tinordi, Subban
      Ellis, Pateryn
      Thrower

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

Why replace Diaz? He’s done in pro hockey what these kids are doing in junior.

He’s a sure thing, they’re what ifs.

• Habfan17 says:

I am just saying that if Bergevin could trade for the only player lacking in the system, a left wing power forward and it would cost either Gorges or Diaz, or both. I would not be against it since I think that the Habs have the players in the system to replace them.

I am making the point that I would be willing to trade Diaz before any of the defensive prospects that I mentioned, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz, Ellis, and Pateryn. They give us players with the styles and skill sets to make 3 solid pairings and have the Habs strong for the long term.

Again, That is if beregvin see the need to make a trade to upgrade a position only. Right now, I would not make any trades. I would wait until the offseason unless a GM makes an offer too good to refuse.

I just wonder with the timing of these “auditions” if Bergevin is not working on something.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

We disagree on who should move. I would gladly part with Ellis or Pateryn before even discussing Diaz.

He brings their shot blocking to the table and contributes significant offense.

He isn’t big but in a few years you’re looking at Emelin, Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu.

That’s big enough.

• Habfan17 says:

I did forget Nygren, he looks like he could also replace Diaz.

Habfan17

• Un Canadien errant says:

My only concern regarding Nathan Beaulieu is that he came into his first season as a Bulldog poorly conditioned. That was disappointing. You would think that a guy who has been to two Memorial Cups and was embarking on his pro career would have trained harder, especially since he’s a coach’s son. Hopefully he got the idea, got knocked around a bit this year and now realizes that he can no longer just rely on his skating and natural skills, that he needs to get stronger and more powerful, but it’s another reddish flag about his maturity level.

27. WindsorHab-10 says:

All I’m asking for is a win in Jersey. Go Habs!!!

I must echo L Elles comments below, great to see this place in such a good mood!

29. geo_habsgo says:

I asked below but I think it will be buried so I’ll ask again here:

What is it that separates Bozon from Galchenyuk in terms of their value as a prospect? It seems most here don’t project Bozon to be a phenomenal player despite very similar levels of production this season in Junior? What is it that sets these guys apart? Does Bozon have top 6 potential?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I followed junior a lot more closely last year because of guys like Tinordi and potential picks for Montreal like Galchenyuk and Yakupov. So I’m not sure about Bozon?

Last year i walked into the 67s building in the third period, girlfriend worked there and the ushers always let me in for free, just in time to see Yakupov strip Cici of the puck and dangle in and score on a breakaway. My jaw nearly hit the floor.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ll wait for Commandant and other experts to weigh in but I’m guessing the word “hands” will be mentioned. I haven’t seen Bozon play so its just a guess on my part. Look for Commandant when he’s on here.

I have never seen Bozon play either, but Galchenyuk has been considered an elite talent since he was on Junior teams radars, i believe he was a 1st overall (or close to it) selection by Sarnia out of the USHL program. Bozon appears to be a nice talent but is putting up these number as a 19 year old I believe. Also, I don’t believe he is nearly the puckhandler and skater that Galchenyuk is. Many a player have put up huge numbers in junior and it doesn’t always translate into NHL numbers.

Bozon definitely has high level skill and I just hope he can project into a top 6 NHL’er, only time will tell. We should be seeing him in Hamilton next year I believe.

• ed says:

watch Galchenyuk when he gathers a loose puck or receives a pass. watch how he controls the puck at full speed, makes defenders miss and back off him when crosses the blue line, and watch how he often seems to make a pass that you were never expecting, tape to tape.

notice how he shoots through a defenders legs on the rush, and his wrist shot is so hard (wrist shot not slap shot) that the goalie doesn’t react well to it and it seems to handcuff him.

we have not seen anywhere near the best of Galchenyuk yet.

But these are some of the plays we have already seen that he has mastered as an 18/19 year old that few, if any, on our team can match.

• Marc10 says:

Chucky has more tools. He’s bigger, more powerful, more physically mature at a younger age…

When the rookies came to Montreal after the draft, the consensus was Chucky had an NHL-caliber booming wrist shot right out of junior. The only guy that stood out for the wrong reasons, that I can remember, was Hudon for his weak shot… Then Hudon made Team Canada and was one of the best on the ice until he got injured… I think we have a pretty good class of rookies.

• savethepuck says:

What sets them are apart is that in spite of missing basically his entire last year of Junior in his draft year, Chucky still was drafted 3rd overall and made an NHL team as an 18 year old.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Galchenyuk is our best prospect by a country mile. It has been many years since a 19 year old played for the Habs.

Bozon has at least one more year of junior and is behind Hudon in terms of LW skill potential. He has sufficient skill to earn a contract and will have the opportunity to join the Dogs by the end of next season. A year later, we may see if there is top six Hab potential.

There is a wide gulf of skill and potential seperating these two players.

• Un Canadien errant says:

EDIT: Reposted from below. Also, Tim Bozon started the season on a line with JC Lipon, they were tearing it up. Since they’ve been split up to even out the scoring, Tim’s point totals have dropped off.

******************************************************

Not quite. For a while, Alex Galchenyuk was trending toward a two-point a game pace in the OHL, and made the US WJC squad. Tim Bozon started the year on fire, but has cooled off somewhat, and is scoring at a more than a point a game pace.

I’ve watched him play a couple of games and young Mr. Bozon is not the same type of player as Alex, he doesn’t catch the eye to the same degree, or dominate the play. He plays PP and PK and positions well in the offensive zone, and works well with his teammates.

30. JF says:

Habs better watch out for the Devils short-handed. They score a ton of short-handed goals, especially Kovalchuk. We’ve only given up one this year (Diaz turned over the puck at the blue line in the 6-1 beatdown of the Sabres), but they happened frequently last year. Nothing can be more deflating.

31. Welks says:

Curious to see the lines tonight with Ryder out. A top six spot open and I don’t think blunden fits there.
    Ellers line has been playing well and I think you keep them together. Moen has done nothing to earn the spot with pleks but I think that is where they slot him tonight.

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

I also imagine thats where they will play Moen, and he has played well wth Plekanec before, but you’re right, he has not earned anything this year.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think your probably right but MT has kind of gone with the theory of least disturbance to the other lines. Would you be shocked if he just plugs Blunden in Ryder’s spot?

OHL NEWS

The Belleville Bulls and the two Subban brothers win the eastern conference to be the top seed going into the play offs.

What are the chances of having 2 Subban brothers on the point for the Hab’s in a few years. Jordon Subban is faster and handles the puck better than PK did at this age. This is his draft year!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was wondering how Jordan was doing? I’m not sure where he’s slated to be drafted this year? Would be pretty cool if Montreal ended up with him!

• Marc10 says:

I have to admit, considering how deep this draft is and with Timmins, Bergie and Dudley on the case, I’m very stoked for the draft. I hope we’re still on a playoff high when it rolls around!

• Ian Cobb says:

We have a great scouting team Marc. And we have a few top picks in our top pocket.

• Marc10 says:

It’s very exciting. Many teams interviewed PK back in the day and he wouldn’t shut up so he fell and fell… Jordan is very mature apparently, much like Malcom… It will be interesting. PK’s talent ceiling is so high, it’s hard to imagine someone else coming close and from the same family to boot.

• ed says:

Ian, Jordan reminds me of Diaz; they are both very quick, excellent hands, decision making, passing.

I don’t think we need both.

So if we draft Jordan and he makes the team in a couple of years, I would think Diaz would have to be moved.

Jordan is a very exciting, dynamic player. Extremely talented.

33. Hobie Hansen says:

I have no issue with the size of the Habs up front. I wouldn’t complain if we had a bit more beef but the combination of forwards we have at the moment are clicking very well together.

But when you look at the defense and see a bunch of guys that are 6′ tall and under, and add that to what we’ve go up front, I can just imagine Boston cycling the puck in our end for 5 minutes at a time in the playoffs.

So now that we’re seeing Pateryn and especially Tinordi start to get some games in, it’s a huge relief. The two happiest moments I’ve felt in the off season last last few years is when we drafted Tinordi and signed Prust. I’m also very happy that Beaulieu (6’2″) is eventually going to add some size, physicality and offense on the back end.

We’ve got a very exciting team right now and I couldn’t be more thrilled to watch what what we’ve got but it’s going to be awesome to see them bring Tinordi and Beaulieu into the mix and also sign some physical UFAs over the next couple years.

I think we’re going to be finally spoiled with a very good hockey team over the next decade in Montreal.

34. Marc10 says:

The Flyers beat the Devils… I don’t really know what to make of this one. We’ll be we’ll rested, but without Warrior Prust and many solid regulars.

This team does love a challenge. Here it comes. It’d be nice if Monsieur Moen came out of hibernation and Monsieur Armstrong found the net. It’s time.

The Armdog is sooo overdue indeed, this may be just the kind of game for him to get a goal, maybe a Subban shot off his backside and into the net. Top o the morning to you Marc.

• Habfan10912 says:

I might get things thrown at me but I really liked the way Armstrong has played the last several games. I think he’s beginning to agitate opponents a little more and he’s winning his share of battles for the puck. I’d love to see him rewarded for his play as well with a goal. Perhaps that would get some posters off his back a little bit.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Armstrong has been steady and reliable.

• Marc10 says:

I was going to say… I’m glad I wasn’t just seeing things, but when he started cycling down low and even managed a decent forecheck I thought maybe, just maybe, we’ll start seeing a bit of the old Colby.

Now if we could only get last year’s Moen we’d be in business!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think many were expecting White, Moen and Arnstrong to be flying around out there taking peoples’ heads off. It seems Therrien has got them playing positionally sound hockey and has them under strict orders not to engage in after the whistle stuff or take stupid penalties. Can’t complain.

• Lafleurguy says:

The site’s new schtick should be “facing/meeting challenges,” since we discovered the team is small in size but big in achievements by all the measurements that have been made. I’m relieved when fellow posters with keener eyes corrected me and stated it was Peter in net and not Carey when Emelin scored with his “Forsberg dangle.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

35. ed says:

If I’m Therrien tonight I try not to change the game plan too much.

“Here it is, boys. When you’re on the bench, you’re watching Gallagher play hockey. Then jump the boards and try like heck to do what he does!”.

36. L Elle says:

It is amazing how our team, this year, can afford the luxury of evaluating young talent, while still being in the thick of things. I love this team!

Often, I’ll read comments about Pleks and his revolving door of wingers. Well, our goalies have suffered just as much with suspect D. Big improvements this season, and Tinordi, if nothing else, can clear the crease effectively, it will make all the difference.

Chara is 2 out of 3 parts evil incarnate, but every team needs one, unfortunately.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning L! Good to see you on here this morning. Feels like old home week with you, Burly, and JB in the room. Where the heck is Chrisadiens? When we were in Hamilton for the mini summit we had a visit from a BullDog player after the game and we asked about Tinordi. The player said, “He’s a real big dude” with a huge smile across his face. I am sick and tired of hearing people criticize this team for being to small. Tinordi helps with that. Let’s hope his game is ready for the big time.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s kind of shocking, but for the first time in years, we see an organization functioning. There is a plan for the long term, and it seems to operate even during the short term. After a hockey generation running around like decapitated chickens, the Habs have a real hockey organization in place again.

I’m disappointed in the fighting videos posted above. Tinordi is a skinny kid and he’s up for a look. If he ends up as a fighter it’ll be a shame – I’d like to see a big rough d-man instead. I want him to be intimidating, but not a goon. And if he tries to be a goon, all he has is reach. He’s still a big skinny young man in a league of weightlifters. He’ll be killed if he listens to the ‘fans’.

But watching what he can do as he’s scouted for future seasons is a great sub-plot for watching a good team. It’s the best of both worlds – the future and the present – new for an organization that for too long has coasted on memories of past glories.

At the risk of considering myself a reasonable poster, I do believe most of us do recognize what he currently is and what he hopefully will become.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with every word in this post. I don’t want the big guy fighting and the way this origination is functioning is the polar opposite of seasons past. Great post Charlie!

• habs-hampton says:

I agree. I was looking at Larry Robinsons stats. His 1st 2 years, he had 60-70 minutes in penalties and was basically in the 30′s for the rest of his career. He fought occasionally, especially his 1st 2 years, but then guys found out you don’t want to **** with this guy! Dave Shultz found out the hard way. I don’t want Tinordi fighting 15-20 times a year, but he’s big and he’s going to have to stick up for himself, cause guys are going to challenge him. His job is to protect Carey Price.

• Marc10 says:

Depth does that. What’s most amazing is that our depth is coming from two rookies, a 3rd liner who is our MVP, a Great Dane, a 5’8″ D, a Swiss guy and last year’s second favourite whipping boy.

Morning Poll Question, which of our acquired 2nd round picks will yield the best draft position, Nashville’s or Calgary? (or our own 2nd round pick)

• Habfan10912 says:

Who would have thought that was even debatable before the season. Calgary has been playing very well and Rinne has hit a little bump in the road. I say talent prevails and Nashville eventually rights the ship and Calgary’s pick will be the better of the two.
      Morning Gerald.

• L Elle says:

I think Calgary will suck the most, so I guess, what I’m saying is Calgary’s pick. :)

• Marc10 says:

They’ll both be good, but if Calgary gives away the store to finally rebuild… Look out. I say Calgary.

Even the “greatest” goalies in today’s NHL have bad nights. Pekke Rinne pulled two consecutive nights.

39. Chris says:

This might only be interesting to me, but check out the list of the 20 oldest hockey players in the NHL this season:

Teemu Selanne – 42

Scott Nichol – 38
    Todd Bertuzzi – 38
    Vinny Prospal – 38
    Kimmo Timonen – 37
    Hal Gill – 37
    Martin St Louis – 37

In a league where players whose nationality is not either Canadian or American only make up 170 of the 758 (22.4%) players to have played this season, European players represent 9 of the oldest 20 players (45%).

The knock on Europeans is that they don’t have the same love of the game as Canadians…this is hogwash. You don’t continue playing professional hockey into your late 30′s unless you have a love of the game.

• habstrinifan says:

Good morning Chis. Nice list but your use of it to say that it proves the “love” of the game is weak.

• Habfan10912 says:

Maybe love of money?

• Chris says:

To be honest, anybody that questions any player’s love of the game is generally talking out of their ass. I found it interesting that so many Europeans are the guys that continue playing well into their late 30′s.

There are of course many factors. A much, much higher percentage of the total Europeans in the NHL are “skill players” when compared to North Americans. Generally, teams aren’t all that willing to go through the transfer haggle to bring over a guy to player 3rd or 4th line minutes. There are exceptions, but the majority of those positions are held down by non-Europeans.

Skill players typically have longer careers than journeymen like Mathieu Darche. So it isn’t surprising to see that most of the names on that list are or once were top-6 forwards or top-4 defencemen.

In his early 30′s, the knock on Jagr from non-teammates was that he was only in it for the money and that he didn’t care. Everything you hear from inside the dressing rooms is that Jagr has a fanatical love of hockey.

Kovalev is another…his supreme skill made many question his drive. But you almost never hear anybody in the game knocking his drive, just his mindset. He marches to the beat of his own drummer, but his commitment to training and fitness is nearly unrivalled.

Salo and Gonchar are both players who have seen their 30′s ravaged by injuries. Nobody would have blinked if either guy retired. But they’re still contributing.

We know Koivu’s story.

• Marc10 says:

Does Jagr have anything left in the tank? Depth PP specialist signing for a deep run? Would you do it?

• twilighthours says:

No sensible person believes that Europeans love the game less than north Americans.

• Bill J says:

That list is incomplete. Haven’t looked everyone up.

But for example, where’s Brodeur and his 40 year old self in that list?

• neumann103 says:

Chris

I agree that there is some self selecting with the sample, in the preponderance of Euro players who are skills guys who can adjust their roles over time. But apart from the recent Gary-Roberts-ish training regimes, I think that the Euro environment probably emphasizes practice and off ice conditioning more than the game focused Canadian system.

Those of us old enough to have lived through the early 1970s with only three TV channels will recall the Participaction TV ad comparing the fitness of the average 60 year old Swede to the average 30 year old Canadian

Skol!

“Et le but!”

40. Alex_425 says:

Man, Tinordi looks big. Like, Chara big. Only minus having a face that makes me want to hastily rip off my own.

But I’m no expert….

41. LeHabfan13 says:

Habs & New Jersey tonight should be a good one. Advantage Habs.

• Alex_425 says:

I want to say watch out for Kovalchuk, but I have a feeling our D is going to be alright keeping guys like him in check. Mostly, anyways.

Let’s win this one, for the two points, of course, but also for Tinordi.

But I’m no expert….

42. JohnBellyful says:

Dear CanadiensForever,

Don’t get mad, but I really believe the Canadiens should trade Henri Richard while his value is so high. He’s just coming off a season where he scored 18 goals and 36 assists, to finish fourth in team scoring, so he’s worth a lot on the market.
    Why trade him, when the team just won its second Cup in a row? Because we’ve got three players whose careers are winding down and we’ll need to replace them sooner rather than later. The Rocket is 35 – 35, can you believe it?!! – and what are the chances of his having another 33 goal, 39 assist season again, like he just did? Age will catch up with him.
    It already has with Floyd Curry, who’s 31, and managed just seven goals in 70 games. And Bert Olmstead’s no spring chicken either at 30.
    So that’s three wingers right there the team will need to replace in a year, two at most. Why wait?
    For a team to stay on top, it makes changes for the better when it can, not when circumstances force it to and weaken its hand. And Richard could land us a plum for the wing. We have a logjam at centre, with Jean Beliveau, Don Marshall, Phil Goyette and Ralph Backstrom.
    Now, Marshall, Goyette and Backstrom aren’t the player the Pocket Rocket is NOW but they have great potential – and they’re all at least three inches taller than he is. Richard’s good but at his height, I can’t see him lasting long in the league, with all the pounding he’ll take.
    Who could we get for him? Well, last-place Chicago’s got a pair of right wingers, Ed Litzenberger and Eric Nesterenko, who are over six feet tall who would look good in a Habs uniform.
    Toronto’s badly in need of a centre – Ted Kennedy’s 31 and the Leafs’ top point-getter in the position is Rudy ‘Migawd’ Migay – so it will leap at the chance to get a star player like Richard. I’d take a prospect like Frank Mahovlich, who’s a year younger than Richard but six inches taller and, I’m told, has quite a shot.
    Of course, we’d have to get a second player to make the trade fair, so I’d be pushing for someone like Bob Pulford. I think Pulford will have a better career than Mahovlich because he’s also good defensively. The Canadiens would be wise to make it appear like he’s just an add-on and not arouse the suspicions of the Leafs’ general manager, Howie Meeker.
    Well, CanFor, there you have it, that’s what I’d do if I were the Habs’ GM.
    I really enjoy these exchanges. I only wish there was a faster way to communicate than letters and it wasn’t so expensive to make phone calls from one side of the country to the other. My fingers get cramped from writing all the letters to members of the Habs’ fan club.
    By the way, what did you think of HabinVerdun’s suggestion teams play a five-minute sudden death overtime so there wouldn’t be as many ties? What’s he been drinking?
    Yeah, three of the teams had 12 ties last season, one had 14 and two had 15 but what’s wrong with that? Why keep teams longer on the ice when there’s a long train ride waiting for them after the game?
    I don’t know where some of the guys get their ideas, but it’s always fun to read what they have to say.
    Talk to you later, bud.
    Snoozy Lalonde

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

43. Habfan17 says:

I am glad that the Habs have brought up bith Pateryn and Tinordi. I do wonder with the timing, if it is to gauge their development in advance of the trade deadline to see if they could fit in if one or two of the current roster defence was traded. I like Gorges, but I would think that either would be an upgrade to him

Habfan17

44. RobertAlanFord says:

6’6″, 218 lbs stay at home Dman is something the Canadiens don’t have in their everyday arsenal and it’s going to be interesting to see how he fits in to the system. I’m hoping he’s just as successful as Gallagher, Dumont and Pateryn after they were called up from Hamilton. Best o’ luck to ya bud.

45. Habitoba says:

With the recent re-immersion into the fold of Bouillon and Ryder, I wonder who would be the next best to return home? Would Begin be an upgrade to Moen?

46. myron.selby says:

Joke texted to me by my 20 year old (I was a late life Dad) Habs fan son:

Q: How does a Habs fan change a lightbulb?

A: They don’t, just talk about how good the old one was!

To which I replied: Sounds about right – though the bulb they’re using this season looks pretty damn good.

• Whatever says:

Takes a lot of lightbulbs to light the amount of banners they have.

There would be a lot more banners if it wasn’t for the fire department regulations.

• Whatever says:

As an aside:

Was at a Buffalo/Habs game in Buffalo a few years ago when Buffalo was ahead of the Habs in the standings. Montreal scores to take the lead and a bunch of us Hab fans stand and cheer the goal. A Buffalo fan yells, “Take a look at the standings.” A Habs’ fan yells, ” Take a look at your banners.” Almost pissed myself as I looked up and saw Adams Division Champion rags.

• H.Upmann says:

How many Leafs GMs does it take to change a light bulb?

Two:
      one gets on the stool to do it, and the other kicks the stool from under him…

• Chris says:

That is so very true.

Montreal has always played up the “Flanders Fields” quote in the dressing room. But they walk a tightrope surrounding another quote, this time from “Lord of the Rings”:

“Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living and counted the names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons.”

Listening to Habs fans prattle about their 24 Stanley Cups has to be one of the most obnoxious and annoying things that any non Habs fan has to put up with.

A franchise that has won exactly two Stanley Cups in 32 years should not be rubbing everybody’s faces in the team’s past glory. If you figure that most people have very little memory of events that occurred before they were 3 years old, there are only 30 NHL players left that have any chance of remember Montreal’s last dynasty team.

47. myron.selby says:

My take on the Kristo kontroversy – if I remember correctly, he has attended every Habs prospects training camp since he was drafted. Given that he had to pay his own way to attend these camps (accepting any form of payment would have made him ineligible to play NCAA), I would guess that he is committed to the Habs.

It is possible, of course, that he simply paid all that money to measure himself against other potential players. But I choose to believe that it shows a level of involvement with the organization that drafted him.

My fearless prediction (doing my best Tom Nickel/Loonie impression) -he will sign as soon as ND finishes their playoff run. He will report to Hamilton, assuming they are still playing, and if not he will play a game or 2 with the Habs.

• Whatever says:

Doesn’t mean that he is committed to the Habs, just means he wants to make shitloads of money from anyone in the future.

His character concerns me considering all the information thus available. He’s an asset to be used for the betterment of the organization in anyway Bergevin sees fit.

I’ve never been sold on him based on character. He’s solely an asset with the team or what the team can get for him.

How many smallish forwards can this team fit?

48. Mark C says:

Great more Danny Kristo fear mongering. It’s a wonder any prospect signs with the team that drafts him.

• Chris says:

It isn’t fear mongering.

I was just stunned to see, yet again, people talking out of their rear end when it comes to the “Justin Schultz Loophole”.

It was posted a couple of times that the loophole was closed and Kristo therefore couldn’t bolt. This was incorrect.

If people cannot take the 2 minutes to check the actual regulations on this, they should not be correcting others about the rules.

• twilighthours says:

Why would this stun you? It’s a rare enough event and confusing enough loophole that it’s an honest mistake to make. “stunned” seems like an overreaction. “understanding of your mistake” seems more appropriate.

49. habs11s says:

Datsyuk just scored a beaut to beat the Oil in OT!

_____________________________________________________________

50. commandant says:

Bozon with 2 goals 2 assists so far tonight and 1 period to go. The Blazers also play Sunday. He is 1 goal away from tying his production from last year. He has way more assists and points than last year already.

Kristo with 2g 1a and the player of the game as UND wins their first playoff game and leads the best of 3 series with Michigan Tech 1-0

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• geo_habsgo says:

so what is stoping Bozon from being a prospect as hot as Galchenyuk? They seemed to be putting up very similar numbers this season in Junior.

51. frontenac1 says:

Tootoo and Brown were chucking them tonight. Talk about close quarters combat. It was a spirited draw.

52. montreal ace says:

In the future I would imagine that Tinordi and Subban , are going to be a great pairing. I like the team we have this year, as I find they all work hard, which is a great. I have always been a team guy rather then a star guy, this team is going in that direction. The completion is on the ice, not in the payroll department.

53. Say Ash says:

“Bouillon and Tinordi”

Sounds like a show from the 70s featuring a crime-fighting duo of bad cop/worse cop.

54. ebk says:

Re: Kristo
    The one advantage the Canadiens have in signing him is that, as part of his contract, he could insist that they put him on the active roster for at least 1 game.
    That way the clock starts clicking one year earlier than it would if he signed with another team in August. It could end up being a fairly significant chip, as rookie money is fairly well set. So no matter where he signs, the money should be the same

• Chris says:

True enough. And this season stretching so late into the year could be an advantage, as most of the prospects will see their seasons end long before the Canadiens’ season ends.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes. The advantage in signing with the Canadiens is that he can be playing pro hockey, earning a paycheque, pocketing a signing bonus, having a shot at the Stanley Cup in April as opposed to waiting for next year’s training camp. He’d have to be deadset against being a Canadien to not consider signing.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“the money should be the same”

Not exactly. If Kristo signs with a team that sends him to the AHL for an entire season he’ll earn about $70,000. If he signs with a team that keeps him on its NHL roster he’ll earn close to $1,000,000.

55. B says:

Dietz scores number 24, Thrower gets his 6th. Blades up 5-3, 11 minutes left in the 3rd.

–Go Habs Go!–

What’s going on with the Flames… they’re winning again? That high second round pick is not looking good.

57. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Bill. I posted earlier today on a previous thead that I thought Tinordi has improved his fighting ability since junior but being a light heavyweight he is not yet ready to take on NHL heavyweights.He is getting there learning the trade but needs more weight,which will come and more experience. He has a 57% winning percentage, a 2x throw rate and a 4x connect rate because of that long reach. Good balance and instict but limited upper body scrum strength at this time.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

After the early large amounts of fights the Habs were involved in, I suspect Therrien has laid down some ground rules. One of them is for important players not to engage goons. I’m sure Tinordi been told not to fight the monsters.

Quiet here tonight… everybody’s drunk?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Warming up (i.e., building tolerance) for Sunday…

Is that same Cormier that almost killed someone a couple of years ago? Good for Tinordi!

60. lavie says:

Blunden and Tinordi are both big guys. Tomorrow will be the Size pattern (for playoff) we are looking for. I really like Bergevin because he is doing or testing what fans want to see.

61. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If I’m Tinordi tomorrow, I drill someone on my first shift. Send a message to his teammates and the rest of the league that he is here to play and stay.

• Bill says:

He could drill somebody and probably level them pretty good.

What he can’t do, just in my opinion, is keep up with the speed of the NHL game at this stage of his development. He’s gonna look bad out there, and I just hope the “fans” watching aren’t too hard on him. He needs some time.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think it helps practicing with his teammates who are pretty fast. Can’t imagine more faster guys down the wing than Max…

• Un Canadien errant says:

If I’m Jared Tinordi tomorrow, I listen to what my coaches say they expect from me and what my defence partner tells me to do. Then I go out and do it. I realize that things will be coming at me fast and furious, so I just focus and try to make the simple play and keep things simple, try to limit mistakes instead of trying to impress others or send a message.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Of course but if you’re going to take a risk, might as well do it right off the bat instead of later when it could really hurt the team.

BTW when are the Chargers going to sign a starting O-lineman…geez…Rivers is a dead man walking…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune wrote a column saying about Rivers essentially: protect him or trade him. Not a bad idea. I think we could have gotten a lot out of the Cardinals for him. He’ll be behind another patchwork line with even fewer weapons this year.

Danny Woodhead. Yippee.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“woodhead”…he must have got teased like hell in school…

• ProHabs says:

That’s right. Hard and off the glass. Repeat.

• Timo says:

Does it count if he drills one of the Habs?

62. Sportfan says:

It’s safe to say we are excited to see Tinordi play!

63. LeHabfan13 says:

MB maybe cooking up something. Getting close to trade day. If he thinks we have half a chance at winning it all in the playoffs. Don’t be surprise what he will do.

Should he think our chances are not good. He’ll stay with what we have …. I think so far he’s done a real good job.

64. frontenac1 says:

@kempie. Beat the Fronts eh? Whop-de-frikkin-do!

• kempie says:

Sorry Fronts but I gotta give them credit here. 16 points out? This team has been such an incredible fustercluck that kids were packing up their stuff & leaving, not reporting after trades, real ugly stuff. Replace Pelino with Jody Hull and replace Dave Reid with Mike Oke and now it’s like a whole different story. Kind of like another team we know & love.

BTW it was a hell of a game tonight.

65. Chris says:

I keep seeing people claim that the Justin Schultz “loophole” was closed in this CBA and Montreal doesn’t have to worry about Kristo. I’m surprised that some people who really should now better, are not properly following that particular situation. Kristo doesn’t fall under the “loophole” because he is actually finishing college this year.

Montreal has until August 13th, 2013 to sign Kristo. If he remains unsigned at that point, he is entitled to become an unrestricted free agent. This is not a loophole, but the draft working as intended.

For players drafted out of junior, they also have the option to not sign with the team that drafted them. If not signed within two years of being drafted, players may re-enter the draft. It doesn’t happen often, but it does happen.

If a player is not drafted in that second draft, they become an unrestricted free agent. If they are drafted, the new team also has two years to sign the player who, if they refuse to sign with team #2, can then become an unrestricted free agent four years after first being draft eligible. This is the EXACT same time frame as the NCAA players ability to become UFA’s, but the NHL team owns the player’s rights so long as they stay in the NCAA.

The loophole that was closed lay with the fact that a player could leave school early and put the drafting team on the clock to sign them within a short window or the player would become an unrestricted free agent. Schultz left Wisconsin after his junior year, similar to fellow NHL draft dodger Blake Wheeler.

Teams routinely discard players that they don’t actually want, so it is only fair that a player willing to forego a professional salary for four years can also get out from a team they have no interest in playing with. If I was Kristo, there is no way in hell I sign before August 15. You at least have to take a look…he may still choose Montreal, but why forego options when you’ve waited long enough to earn them?

I think the Cole trade was largely an asset protection move by Bergevin, who can point to a top-6 RW opening while negotiating with Kristo and his agent. Schultz and his camp really played up the opportunity to jump into a leading role when they signed with Edmonton. I think Kristo is going to be looking for the same kind of assurances.

• Bill says:

Thank you. This has been bothering me too.

And Kristo is gone. He’s an American who can sign pretty much anywhere he wants, with the NCAA career he built. My bet is the obvious one – Minnesota – but it could be anywhere. But I would bet a round of beers that he doesn’t sign in Montreal.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this Chris. For those who are unclear what the Canadiens obligations are with respect to the rights to their prospects, bookmark this page and refer to it when in doubt, it’s a handy resource: http://habsprospects.com/contracts.html

I agree that Danny Kristo would be wise to see what’s out there for him. He can choose the city he’ll live in and the organization he’ll play for, those are huge advantages for a young man and player. He can extract a promise from the team about whether he’ll play in the NHL or AHL.

The only thing the Canadiens wouldn’t have to compete on is salary/term. The entry level contract dictates the maximum monetary amount he can earn. His agent and financial planners will no doubt point out to him the locales where taxes are lower.

I’ve written in the past that he’s never expressed reluctance at signing with the Canadiens, and of other factors that would militate in our favour. This season, his decision to stay in school and go for another championship was reasonable for a guy who appears to love UND and the college lifestyle, given that a lockout loomed.

One thing we can hope is that the Nouveau Régime, led by Marc Bergevin and Martin Lapointe, have kept the communication channels open with him, and that he’s impressed with the success of the team and the future of the franchise. It might be a breath of fresh air compared to the previous administration. If they can’t sign him right after the college playoffs, and they determine that they won’t be able to before August, they’ll probably try to deal his rights à la James Wisniewski.

• Chris says:

Darren Dietz could very easily decide that he might be better off re-entering the draft after having a monster season in the WHL this year. A 5th round draft pick, Dietz has posted such strong numbers since being drafted that he could easily scoot up into the second round and maybe even the first round based on what he’s become. The first round is a long-shot, but if he does extremely well in the playoffs and Memorial Cup, his profile can go sky high.

He might look at the Montreal depth chart (Emelin, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Diaz, Gorges, Thrower, Nygren) and decide that another team might be a better fit.

I doubt this happens. Dietz almost certainly will sign with Montreal. But he’s also got options, just not quite as good as those of Kristo. Magnus Nygren, the other recently hyped prospect based on his performance in Sweden, is another who could easily decide that he wants to go the UFA route, preferring to sign with a team that has more roster spots available. That one is a little more possible than Dietz, in my opinion.

Hold out for a few months and Nygren could choose another NHL team (Detroit?) with more roster spots potentially open than what we’re seeing in Montreal.

I actually think there are some trades coming because Montreal has too much of a logjam on defence. They either get something back for some of these assets or risk losing them for nothing. This was exactly what happened about 10 years ago when players like Hainsey (waivers), Beauchemin (waivers), Bouillon (waiver draft) and Robidas (waiver draft). Sometimes you absolutely CAN have too many assets.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Crap. Thanks a lot Chris. I hadn’t considered that. I was just busy in my mind trying to squeeze all these guys onto the roster of the Bulldogs and Nailers. Now I’m going to grow myself a big ulcer.

I don’t know anything about Mr. Nygren, but Darren Dietz seems to be a typical ‘yes sir, can-do’ Canadian kid, based on the “Road to the Memorial Cup” series. I don’t think we’ll have problems signing him either. At least, I had no doubt until you piped up.

• ebk says:

Re: Danny Kristo
      The one advantage the Canadiens have in signing him is that, as part of his contract, he could insist that the put him on the active roster for at last 1 game.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Agreed – good post Chris.

i think Danny Kristo will be provided a RW opportunity in an effort to sign, but a 2nd line opening may be hard to come by unless someone under contract is moved or another top six player is moved to top nine. Also consider that others are also looking to move up to top six by next season as well (Galchenyuk / Eller). If we were to loosely project the forward group for next season, given known contracts, including Kristo, without someone moved.. the only question mark or easy position upgrade would be RW’s 4th line C.

Rene Bourque Tomas Plekanec Brian Gionta
      Max Pacioretty David Desharnais Brendan Gallagher
      Alex Galchenyuk Lars Eller Danny Kristo
      Brandon Prust Ryan White Travis Moen

Now, any number of things could occur and the armchair GM’s on this site can envision any player moved or brought in, despite contract status (NMC/NTC).

It would be unfortunate to lose DK, but the good news is that there are currently upwards of eight players that can play a top six role in Habville. If this season is any indication of the Habs future then likely we view top nine as scoring lines versus traditional top six – in this scenario there is room for a Danny Kristo.

66. PrimeTime says:

Timordi may or not stay with the big club. MB needs to exam his development status before making any moves before the trade deadline. Either way the critics should back off Tinordi for at least 3 years…..ha!!! As if

• Bill says:

My own belief is that Tinordi is nowhere near NHL ready, and that he will look much more raw and vulnerable than Pateryn did, even in protected minutes. This is just a look-see, as you say.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. Give him a taste, see what he’s up against and how hard he needs to work to improve, we get a measure of where he’s at, no harm done since we have room on the roster right now with all the injuries, then send him back when appropriate. Marc Bergevin’s maxim that you seldom regret leaving a player in the minors too long will come into effect here.

67. Habitoba says:

When would Ryder have injured himself? How serious? Love how they just nonchalantly insert that little tidbit in there to get us hooked. No doubt we’ll get the answer tomorrow.

68. After those videos, I stand corrected. Mr. Tinordi is not soft as so many on TSN were saying. An all out fight with a broken nose… he’s a dude….

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Bill says:

I have never, ever heard anyone describe Tinordi as soft. Where the hell were you looking to find information that bad? Take a more critical eye to the Internet, friend.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Arrr… Bill! Me hardies on TSN were all over Tinordi being weak, getting knocked out, etc… I had a chat with HabinBurlington about it on another thread and the Laff lubbers on TSN have it way wrong. Always good to mix-up audiences!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

69. piter says:

I wonder if Tinordi will end up scrapping someone tomorrow night? He won’t take any crap after the whistles.

• Bill says:

Really hoping he doesn’t fight. He’s not an enforcer, more of a meaner Hal Gill who can also move the puck.

Okay, so take away the Hal Gill, that’s a dumb description. He’s a giant, physical d-man who can move the puck well. He will fight and can hold his own, but he’s not an enforcer.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Stevie.Ray says:

I’ve read that he isn’t so much physical in the Emelin sense, but knows how to use his size effectively in front of the net and in the corners

70. kempie says:

Our Peterborough Petes deserve to be congratulated for coming back from 16 points out of the playoffs to 7th after beating Kingston 5-4 in OT tonight. Amazing run.

• Chris says:

Well, to be fair, it is the Eastern Conference. There are some Triple A teams that could probably make the playoffs in the OHL’s Eastern Conference. :)

59 points would be good for missing the playoffs by 11 points in the West.

71. Don’t want to play too stripped down. Even though NJ is playing back to back, they will be hungry after losing to Philly. Blunden is a big body, but isn’t really an offensive threat.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

72. chanchilla says:

ekman larrson gets 6year 33mil extension, good on him. Wish he was in a habs jersey

• Un Canadien errant says:

Give them a puck moving D-man like Tomas Kaberle, and a prospect (not Tinordi, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Collberg, Bournival, Pateryn, …)

• chanchilla says:

id give up beaulieu or leblanc or bournival or pateryn to land ekman-larsson any day of the week. ekman-larrson is what, 21, and will be as good, if not better than subban.

I’m the kind of person that says never trade away a first, but i’d give up a first, prospect, and a puck moving d for ekman larsson.

• Un Canadien errant says:

To be clear, I was lampooning some of the ridiculous trade offers that we partake in on this forum, where we always offer up Scott Gomez, Yannick Weber, an obscure prospect and a grudging 2nd-rounder in return for a frontline Corey Perry or Zenon Konopka.

73. yup… so watcha got?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• piter says:

I like the 4 year deal…fair money, not overpaid. Unlike some of the other teams, overpaying certain players with their super long term contracts…

74. piter says:

wow, am i the first?

75. Stevie.Ray says:

7 lbs is all it takes? I’m hoping he gets up to around 250, and even then I don’t care if he fights or not.

76. Whatever says:

Jarred Tinordi will be the player Jarred Tinordi can be. Regardless of other players his size or even his father. That will take time.

77. Habitoba says:

I love it. Too often do i sit, cringing to the fact that the worst possibility occurred in a OT/SO decision between divisional rivals.

78. Habfan10912 says:

Or a goal. :)

79. gauver says:

I share your hope but I think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment to expect it; that is a very high benchmark by which to assess Tinordi’s play. I think he will be a valuable addition but not a great defenceman like Robinson was.

80. RS says:

Totally agree. Let’s be realistic. And we do have an elite defenceman – Subban. And a potential elite forward – Chucky.

With all these good young D prospects, I’m just hoping we can get 6 solid NHLers and a mix of puck-moving guys and defensive stalwarts. Not the return of the big-3! That’s not happening.

81. gauver says:

I hear you and I agree. Robinson is my favourite player of all time. I am old enough to remember seeing him play in his prime at the Forum. I am so excited that our team has good leadership again. This could prove to be the best management we have had since Sam Pollock. I trust these guys to draft and trade for good talent and to manage that talent well. I think we surprisingly find ourselves as legitimate Stanley Cup contenders with good reason to believe that we will be so for years to come. I haven’t been this excited as a Habs fan since the 1980′s!

82. Un Canadien errant says:

I think Rod Langway would be a more likely comparable in terms of his style, which would still be awesome. Larry had offensive instincts that Jarred Tinordi has never demonstrated.