Three Ws and counting

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About last night …

Dave Stubbs on the sinking Sens

Subban fans should chill out

• Darren Pang’s brutal Freudian slip and his apology

Arpon Basu on the winning system

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

1. LA Loyalist says:

What’s the cure?

2. punkster says:

Lennon. Too sad. I’m changing my tag. it’s st00pid in light of that.

Reverse psychology worked for Price…Trade PK now while his value is high. DO IT PG!!

3. keepthefaith says:

I definatley dont think he is doing fine. But in Gomez terms  his salary is what it is . He will never put up the points to justify it. but there s nothing we can do about that right now . He is a great puck carrier and we can definately use him come playoff time.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Gomezphobia – A crippling mental condition that is running rampant among Habs fans, prevents you from discussing a team with an 18-8-2 record and 3rd overall in the League and instead focus on a player’s salary cap hit with obsessive-compulsive behaviour regarding everything about that player.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

5. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Excellent point – agreed.

6. Natrous says:

Not once did I mention bad luck in my previous reply. And I wouldn’t call his decisions poor at the time, however as they say, hindsight is 20/20. I honestly felt like LeClaire was Ottawa’s first real goalie since Hasek left, but he hasn’t panned out, so big deal. Murray’s biggest knock in my eyes is not doing enough to improve the team via trades; the trades has made (with the exception of the ones I’ve mentioned) weren’t worth mentioning to begin with.

As for Gomez, just because he wasn’t putting up points doesn’t mean he’s not worth more than a few million dollars. $7.3M is obviously more than he’s worth for the points he scores, but Mike Komisarek or Anton Volchenkov are worth $4.5M to block shots AND THAT’S IT, I’m ok with Gomez running the PK, putting in PP minutes and bringing leadership to the team, even if he’s not scoring like a top-6 should be right now.

7. J_P says:

I cant stand Pierre Mcguire.

And to answer all your questions, when you make millions to manage a team, “bad luck” isnt an excuse.  When you’re writing off ALL of his POOR decisions as bad luck, i am sorry but there’s a trend there.  Your answer for every point I have raised is that he made the right move at the time, and suffered simply from “bad luck”.

I guess you’re going to tell me that Gomez’ performance this season is just a case of bad luck? Or that Bob Gainey couldn’t reasonably expect that gomez would be this bad, even though he never played to the level of a $7.3 million player his entire career?  GM’s take gambles, some work and some dont, but when ALL your gambles don’t pay off, its not bad luck, its poor management, and its time to get the axe.

8. TommyB says:

30 years ago today:  Wow, I wasn’t even 30 years old yet.  My daughter wasn’t even born yet.  Man, where did those years go?

I was at work the next morning when I heard the news….after I had woke up, got out of bed, and dragged a comb across my head.  I was stunned.  Who could do such a thing?  The Beatles were always something special, still are today.  John Lennon, was the Beatles in my opinion.  I loved them all, but John above the others was my favorite.  I liked his mood, his cynicism.  There was always the hope that one day the four would re-unite, and there was never any doubt in my mind that this would eventually happen.  Time heals scars between friends.  Unfortunately, a deranged mind with a gun in it’s hand put an end to John Lennon’s life.  I spent the next few days glued to the radio, as radio stations played John’s life over and over, through his music.  Tears streaming down my face uncontrollably every so often.  You know there is one hell of a band playing up there in heaven, Georgie among them too.  Rest in peace John, for nobody ever did, and probably never will, give peace a chance.

9. christophor says:

Yes, he CAN do that, correct. He isn’t doing that as well this year as people are suggesting. He CAN be a good rushing player. When he does kick it into gear, it’ll translate into points.

As for the crappy PP yesterday, PK could have helped too. Your two rushing players can’t both be out of the lineup if your PP has relied on rushing into the zone.  PK is better at this than Gomez as far as the PP goes, I think.  Gomez is slightly more creative in getting into the zone, yes, but PK doesn’t lose the puck just inside the blue line as often. The reason being he’s stronger and so can fend off defenders and push up along the boards.

10. christophor says:

I noticed. It was horrendous. But a PP doesn’t just work right away with a change of cast. Those 5 min of PP time missed Gomez because the PP is accustomed to him. That doesn’t mean, given time, someone else wouldn’t have done it better. Besides, the success you seem to think he brings should translate into points, don’t you think?

I don’t hate the guy. I think he’ll step it up. But, for the life of me, I can’t understand it when people say he’s doing fine and doesn’t need to change a thing. You have to admit he’s struggling, and badly. That’s what I’m saying.

11. christophor says:

not true.

6mill brought Cammi, 5mill brought Gionta.

They’ve both said outright that Gomez wasn’t the deciding factor.

That doesn’t mean Gainey didn’t trade for Gomez to lure players over. That’s probably the case.

12. badbalance says:

Murray messe dup big time, lsot a lot of players for nothing and got crap in return..

13. light_n_tasty says:

Yes. Boy, do I miss Markov.

14. light_n_tasty says:

Even if that’s true, they’re here now, so doesn’t that make Gomez totally expendable?

15. NoTinFoilCups says:

On a Soviet fishing trawler off the east coast. They didn’t get much news from the West at that time, but in this instance they did.

16. NoTinFoilCups says:

One thing he does is carry to puck into the other team’s zone. This comes in very handy from time to time. No?

We have precious few players who can this. Subban can and Markov used to do occasionally. Most of our players can barely carry the puck out of their own zone.

We’re a better team with that kind of skill in the lineup regardless of what money they are earning.

17. Say Ash says:

Tickets cost $8 million a showing.

18. BrianSkrudland says:

Pang is a class act, by all accounts. He’s got the white stuff! Wait…I mean, right stuff.

19. twocents says:

No, I wasn’t speculating. I was merely using it as an example to illustrate that we don’t know or see everything.

Chuck – Your situation is a bit different from the rest of us.  You get paid to sit around and talk about sex, drugs and rock & roll:-)  What a great gig that is.  It’s almost as good as Mike Boone who gets hugh coin to watch hockey and write mumbo jumbo every day.

21. TommyB says:

Hmmm…large chested women, you say….that should take my mind off of the game for a bit.

22. Dintrox says:

Anybody else have the feeling that there are some big changes coming for the Senaturds. Murray. Clouston, and half the team have their contracts expire this summer.

23. TommyB says:

Just to throw some cold water on that “had been playing hurt all along” idea….I don’t think Muller would have taken Gomez aside to discuss his game, if Gomez’ game had been suffering due to some nagging injury.  Just sayin’.

24. Chuck says:

Take it from someone in the media who talks for a living: it happens. I highly doubt that it was any sort of Freudian slip. He simply got tongue-tied… the audio version of a typo.

Centre Hice: one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

Well said, Tommy.  It kind of reminds me about the slip that Kelly Tilgham made on the Golf Channel about Tiger.  She didn’t mean anything by it and Tiger totally agreed with her.

BTW, isn’t about time that the golf world let Ben Wright out of jail over his comments about large chested women and lesbians?  It’s OK for Michael Vick to slaughter innocent dogs for the purpose of “entertainment”, only to return to the world of pro football a few years later.  Wright has been on the sidelines for close to a decade.

26. TommyB says:

Agree that the hit from behind on Weber was a definite 5 minute major, but what I don’t get is, how some hits just like that, or less, are suspendable, and some are not.  I don’t see the line between what is and what is not suspendable.  And if I can’t see that line, how does a player know where that line is?

27. twocents says:

No, I can’t be right, because I am not suggesting he was previously injured. I am just pointing out that there is plenty we may not know.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Sprained/strained something I guess on something that looked innocuous but wasn’t, two cents below speculated Gomez may have been playing hurt already and that’s been throwing him off but he finally overtaxed it. Gionta seemed okay for a few games than had to pull himself out after we found out he had a fractured foot, this is a team of hardcases. Gorges never skips a game no matter how bruised, Gill had his leg sliced open and finished off the PIT series handling Crosby, Moen’s face stitched up and only missing a game…

But it’s the Habs so I doubt we’ll get any useful details, we’ve still got trouble confirming from them that the Berlin Wall went down.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

29. Seps says:

That was one of the first well reffed games the Habs have had this season.  Like that hit from behind being a 5 minute was a great call.

30. TommyB says:

Early reports?, speculation?, seem to say it’s a back problem.  If that is the case, I can think of many different ways it could happen.  And there would be many sarcastic, smart*ss, answers to that question available on here as well.

I think it is something that has been covered up and bothered him most of the year. Playing hurt is part of the sport.

They just want to see what this kids got at this level, is all. So just maybe we do not have to go the trade route to replace Markov.

I know… he was pretending to play hockey.

PK will just laugh at the error. Totally innocent miss Q.

On another topic, who knows how Gomez got hurt???

35. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Pang’s best friend is former Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman; he was the best man at Yzerman’s wedding. On Tuesday, January 2, 2007, Pang served as the master of ceremonies for Yzerman’s jersey retirement ceremony, which was held at Joe Louis Arena prior to a game between the Red Wings and the Anaheim Ducks.

You gotta believe Stevie Y’s bud is a “stand up” guy. You could tell he felt bad about the slip and provided an apology.

It is beyond me how Cherry remains in the Canadian public eye. We should all be thankful he is not in politics.

Lot’s of better things to talk about on HIO.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

You could be right, remember Lapierre’s horrific 09-10 season that came from his ankle injury? He wasn’t really himself until the playoffs, than he had 3 different NHL teams wanting to kill him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

37. DearyLeary says:

Indeed.  Hockey skill development has increased by leaps and bounds since the 80s.  Kids are getting power skating lessons from a young age.  Goaltenders actually have coaches now, and they play a much more efficient style.  Coaching consists of more than ‘ok, you play now’.  Hockey has changed, I believe for the better, in the last 20 years.

Yes, the irony, especially when Boone includes lines like these “

The Team Above All concept, which evolved during the playoffs last spring, runs right through the Canadiens’ room. And I think a propensity to talk, rather than listen, is a big part of the problem with P.K.”

Yes, but you fan, chill the … out.

39. Mark C says:

It was an odd special teams game, a lot of PP time and almost zero PK time, where Gill and Josh make their money and ice time.

40. twocents says:

Who knows maybe this injury is something that’s been bothering him all season and he simply hasn’t made an excuse of it. My take in these situations, in the absence of any criticism from coaches or teammates or grumbling by the player, is to assume there’s more than meets the eye.

When the team is winning I don’t feel compelled to interpret what I can’t see.

41. Seps says:

Right after I posted that I thought of the PP because that would make sense

42. TommyB says:

Anyone else see the contradiction, irony, or at least the humour in the Gazette’s Habs Inside/Out posting a story telling fans (HIO readers/posters) they should just chill out on the topic of PK, or any other for that matter?  I know I got a chuckle out of it.

About Pang…I watched the game on TSN last night, and when he made that little slip I winced.  However, I recognized right away that it was just a case of his mouth motoring just a little too fast.  Totally innocent, IMO, and not meant to be at all what many interpreted it to mean.  And hey, I’d be the last one to defend most any of the TSN guys.  I was both surprised, and satisfied, that they came back later with an apology/explanation.  Many would not do that.  Good for TSN.

43. Mark C says:

All PP time, Weber got over 5 minutes while Gorges and Gill got 5 seconds worth. Also, only 21 seconds worth of SH time for Montreal last night. Both Gill and Gorges got more EV time than Weber did.

44. OverseasFan says:

Hey — the man had a good slapshot!

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Forgive me for skimming your 10,000th Gomezphobic posting and I made a mention of last game when Camalleri scored below, which was a garbage pick-up after Hamrlik did everything and it had nothing to do with what Gomez was doing, unless you think he was being very mean to Hamrlik and discouraging him trying to play well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

46. SmartDog says:

Every little bit helps!

It’s just a joke.  I really am starting to feel bad for the guy.   I think the coaching staff has let him down.  They should be helping him figure out why he’s not succeeding and riding him until he breaks out of it.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Note how many goals were scored in the 70s and 80s. We are talking about an era in hockey when 50-goal seasons weren’t restricted to the 3 best players in the entire league.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

48. habfan53 says:

Just looking up some stats and came upon this

Plante with  Harvey, Johnson and shut down forwards Marshall, Provost and Goyette   2.24

Dryden with Savard, Robinson and Lapointe with Risebrough, Lambert and Tremblay  2.23

Price no HOF defencemen no steady shut down forwards            2.59

Roy  with Robinson and Chelios early on and a variety (like Price)   2.78

49. Seps says:

Weber was 3rd in minutes last night on D with more minutes than Gorges and Gill.  That’s good for Weber but I dont understand the thinking there.

50. Mattyleg says:

Uhh… since when did lower-body become one word?

Hmm, Idontknow.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. SmartDog says:

For a guy that puts out ten THOUSAND words per blog post, you think you could read my short note properly before pooping on me. I know Gomez was on the ice for Cami’s goal yesterday.

52. SmartDog says:

I was talking about the game before.
    Gomez does have some points I realize.

53. shiram says:

It was a slip, people dont seem to realize how difficult broadcasting like that.
    Was it a bad slip, of course, but its just a mistake, and he did apologize profusely for it.

Not gonna say much on Cherry, he thrives on this kind of attention.

(Denzel is awesome)

55. Mattyleg says:

Poor Pang. Totally accidental.

Poor City of Toronto. When your mayor thinks that inviting Grapes to his inauguration is a good idea, you’re in for a loooooong four years.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. Mattyleg says:

Ignore TSN. They are full of $hit. Useless commentary. Hot air.

I personally prefer ranking low on their ‘stupid-o-meter’ because if there’s one thing I hate worse than being ignored, it’s being lauded by those overstuffed windbags.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. Mark C says:

Gomez went to the net, which pulled Philips out of Cammalleri’s shooting lane for a split second that allowed Cammalleri to get off a clean shot.

While Gomez doesn’t get a point or a plus, he made the right play again.

58. longtimehabsfan says:

He was even pictured in the paper with Cammy after the goal!!

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay my mistake but that still had nothing to do with Gomez being pulled off the line, it was Cammalleri picking up garbage on Hamrlik’s best Offensive play as a Hab ever.

Unless Gomez is such a toxic influence that Hamrlik could only make that play because he wasn’t on the ice when he did it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

60. Storm Man says:

Please don’t give some of the people on here ideas, I get a great AB workout as it is with some of the players wanted here by some.

61. StevieRay says:

Gomez..was on the ice ..

62. light_n_tasty says:

“Last game Gomer was demoted and Halpern moved up and – booom! – Cami scores.”

I think he’s talking about Saturday night.

63. light_n_tasty says:

I thought he was talking about last game…when Cammy scored after Gomez was taken of his line.

64. habfan53 says:

That is even worse.

65. WindsorHab-10 says:

They say your first expression is usually the right one. I’ll give Darren Pang the benefit of the doubt but I still wonder about the likes of him & Cherry & their reactions if Subban was white.

66. shiram says:

2012-2013 so thats a good long while to forget only 3 games.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

I say let’s get Stephane Richer out of retirement, he scored 50G for us after all.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

68. Storm Man says:

So after watching last night’s game glad to see no more talk about bring L’Artiste back to Montreal(Damn im shocked he did not win 1 star as he was magic)Waiting for the let’s bring Ribeiro back talk next. Im so looking forward to 3D Saturday night.

69. twocents says:

“… Gomer being demoted or leaving seems to get the team going.”

Ummm… so what has this team been doing all season if they haven’t been “going”?

70. TommyB says:

That’s perfect, LOL.

71. avatar_58 says:

I wasn’t talking about points.

72. avatar_58 says:

Uhh…cammy scored early not late

73. Aybara says:

There’s the story..

Cherry’s gone too far. I can take his rants well enough when they are directed at something he at least has some knowledge about. Entering the political arena though just shows how ridiculous this guy is getting.

Man, Cherry sound like a typical hard right basket case. Makes one lean to the conclusion that those attacks on Subban were in fact racially motivated.