Three Ws and counting

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About last night …

Dave Stubbs on the sinking Sens

Subban fans should chill out

• Darren Pang’s brutal Freudian slip and his apology

Arpon Basu on the winning system

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

1. BrianSkrudland says:

White you are. I mean…right you are. I’ll stop now. My edit function isn’t working. Wish I had some white-out.

That’s enough. I bid you good day.

2. mrhabby says:

hurt his back while picking up his pay stub.

3. habsfan_61 says:

on a non-hockey note congrats to dave van horne on his award. lots of memories with him and the expos. on the same subject. watch out dallas stars as tony ” i only lie when i open my mouth” tavares was given a role with the hockey team.tavares was a pos when he was prez with the expos before we were run off by him and bud lite

4. habfan53 says:

We are not behind them we are tied with Philly and ahead of Boston (up by 5 points they have 2 games in hand).

Philly has better scoring but I belieive all round Montreal is the better team. Montreal’s only weakness is its PP.

5. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Excellent point – agreed.

6. avatar_58 says:

Poodle actually, with pink fur

7. Natrous says:

Not once did I mention bad luck in my previous reply. And I wouldn’t call his decisions poor at the time, however as they say, hindsight is 20/20. I honestly felt like LeClaire was Ottawa’s first real goalie since Hasek left, but he hasn’t panned out, so big deal. Murray’s biggest knock in my eyes is not doing enough to improve the team via trades; the trades has made (with the exception of the ones I’ve mentioned) weren’t worth mentioning to begin with.

As for Gomez, just because he wasn’t putting up points doesn’t mean he’s not worth more than a few million dollars. $7.3M is obviously more than he’s worth for the points he scores, but Mike Komisarek or Anton Volchenkov are worth $4.5M to block shots AND THAT’S IT, I’m ok with Gomez running the PK, putting in PP minutes and bringing leadership to the team, even if he’s not scoring like a top-6 should be right now.

8. sholi2000.com says:

These people and their “tests” can kiss my ________.

This is a great TEAM,  they are beating the teams they are supposed to beat.  They are beating teams they’re not supposed to beat, and it’s all under national radar.

Best part of all.

NO TROLLS ARE HERE

It’s like they just died off like the dinosaurs.

Habs Inside Out is Troll Free, it’s AWESOME!

They Call Me Shane

9. avatar_58 says:

Yeah but bias aside we ARE behind those two. Boston has more scoring, Philly has more grit and energy.

10. J_P says:

I cant stand Pierre Mcguire.

And to answer all your questions, when you make millions to manage a team, “bad luck” isnt an excuse.  When you’re writing off ALL of his POOR decisions as bad luck, i am sorry but there’s a trend there.  Your answer for every point I have raised is that he made the right move at the time, and suffered simply from “bad luck”.

I guess you’re going to tell me that Gomez’ performance this season is just a case of bad luck? Or that Bob Gainey couldn’t reasonably expect that gomez would be this bad, even though he never played to the level of a $7.3 million player his entire career?  GM’s take gambles, some work and some dont, but when ALL your gambles don’t pay off, its not bad luck, its poor management, and its time to get the axe.

11. Julie H says:

Ugh it’s so true. If I’m ever stuck watching a game on CBC, I put it on mute during intermission. I can’t stand his voice, and when I listen to him talk, I feel like my brain cells are being killed off one by one. Bring in someone likeable!

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

12. Chuck says:

Boone’s version on his “Freudian Slip” post in Eeee-mail was better.  :)

Centre Hice: one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

13. TommyB says:

30 years ago today:  Wow, I wasn’t even 30 years old yet.  My daughter wasn’t even born yet.  Man, where did those years go?

I was at work the next morning when I heard the news….after I had woke up, got out of bed, and dragged a comb across my head.  I was stunned.  Who could do such a thing?  The Beatles were always something special, still are today.  John Lennon, was the Beatles in my opinion.  I loved them all, but John above the others was my favorite.  I liked his mood, his cynicism.  There was always the hope that one day the four would re-unite, and there was never any doubt in my mind that this would eventually happen.  Time heals scars between friends.  Unfortunately, a deranged mind with a gun in it’s hand put an end to John Lennon’s life.  I spent the next few days glued to the radio, as radio stations played John’s life over and over, through his music.  Tears streaming down my face uncontrollably every so often.  You know there is one hell of a band playing up there in heaven, Georgie among them too.  Rest in peace John, for nobody ever did, and probably never will, give peace a chance.

14. habfan53 says:

When will this team get some respect. In TSN power rankings we are bedind Philly and Boston. In November the hockey media (Montreal and National) said that games against: Vancouver, Boston,2 against Philly and Los Angeles were going to be tests Montreal won 4 and should have one the fifth. Now we are playing Detroit and it will be a test .  When will it be a test for the other teams who face Montreal??

15. avatar_58 says:

What a clown

16. Bugs says:

Freudian slips happen to everybody. I made a little one last night myself. On one of my too seldom sorties from the basement, I accepted my mum’s invitation to join her in the kitchen for some dinner. I wanted to say “please pass the potatas”, and truly, this is even what I had on my mind, but what came out instead was “you stupid cow, you ruined my life!”

I mean, these things happen. It’s perfectly human and doesn’t mean anything.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

17. Bugs says:

First news I saw today on Google: Cherry rips left-wing pinkos at council inaugural. New Toranna mayor Ford. Toronto Star.

Cherry says it himself: you don’t invite a pit-bull to these types’a'things.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

18. SUMO says:

Don Cherry says even more politically incorrect things every saturday and no one at cbc even calles him on it. He even goes sofar to say things like Vinny Lecalier is a great player just toprove hes not racist. Bloody hell, he needs to qualify hes not? That blowhard does worse and not a peep.

Wake up CBCis public broadcasting, It belongs to the people!! Publish his salary!

19. habfan53 says:

Did you see his facial expression after the missed pass to Moen ?? when they went to the bench he did not even look at him.  If Gomer is out for a few games,  bring up Desharnais (as MaxOac wants to stay in Hamilton) and put him on the second line .  Moen works hard but his hands are made of stone.

20. christophor says:

Yes, he CAN do that, correct. He isn’t doing that as well this year as people are suggesting. He CAN be a good rushing player. When he does kick it into gear, it’ll translate into points.

As for the crappy PP yesterday, PK could have helped too. Your two rushing players can’t both be out of the lineup if your PP has relied on rushing into the zone.  PK is better at this than Gomez as far as the PP goes, I think.  Gomez is slightly more creative in getting into the zone, yes, but PK doesn’t lose the puck just inside the blue line as often. The reason being he’s stronger and so can fend off defenders and push up along the boards.

21. christophor says:

I noticed. It was horrendous. But a PP doesn’t just work right away with a change of cast. Those 5 min of PP time missed Gomez because the PP is accustomed to him. That doesn’t mean, given time, someone else wouldn’t have done it better. Besides, the success you seem to think he brings should translate into points, don’t you think?

I don’t hate the guy. I think he’ll step it up. But, for the life of me, I can’t understand it when people say he’s doing fine and doesn’t need to change a thing. You have to admit he’s struggling, and badly. That’s what I’m saying.

22. christophor says:

not true.

6mill brought Cammi, 5mill brought Gionta.

They’ve both said outright that Gomez wasn’t the deciding factor.

That doesn’t mean Gainey didn’t trade for Gomez to lure players over. That’s probably the case.

23. badbalance says:

Murray messe dup big time, lsot a lot of players for nothing and got crap in return..

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Good quote from Cammy:

After notching his second goal in as many games, the 28-year-old claimed there was no big secret behind his success.

“I was just trying to work hard. It seems like as of late it’s been a
    lot of work without actually creating as much [offense] as we’d like
    to,” Cammalleri explained. “I’m of the belief that a lot of goals in
    this league are scored off the second or third effort. That’s how we’re
    going to create offense.”

When your top sniper says he needs to get dirtier about his goals it says something for commitment.

25. light_n_tasty says:

Yes. Boy, do I miss Markov.

26. light_n_tasty says:

Even if that’s true, they’re here now, so doesn’t that make Gomez totally expendable?

27. NoTinFoilCups says:

On a Soviet fishing trawler off the east coast. They didn’t get much news from the West at that time, but in this instance they did.

28. NoTinFoilCups says:

One thing he does is carry to puck into the other team’s zone. This comes in very handy from time to time. No?

We have precious few players who can this. Subban can and Markov used to do occasionally. Most of our players can barely carry the puck out of their own zone.

We’re a better team with that kind of skill in the lineup regardless of what money they are earning.

29. Say Ash says:

Tickets cost $8 million a showing.

30. BrianSkrudland says:

Pang is a class act, by all accounts. He’s got the white stuff! Wait…I mean, right stuff.

31. twocents says:

No, I wasn’t speculating. I was merely using it as an example to illustrate that we don’t know or see everything.

Chuck – Your situation is a bit different from the rest of us.  You get paid to sit around and talk about sex, drugs and rock & roll:-)  What a great gig that is.  It’s almost as good as Mike Boone who gets hugh coin to watch hockey and write mumbo jumbo every day.

33. TommyB says:

Hmmm…large chested women, you say….that should take my mind off of the game for a bit.

34. Dintrox says:

Anybody else have the feeling that there are some big changes coming for the Senaturds. Murray. Clouston, and half the team have their contracts expire this summer.

35. TommyB says:

Just to throw some cold water on that “had been playing hurt all along” idea….I don’t think Muller would have taken Gomez aside to discuss his game, if Gomez’ game had been suffering due to some nagging injury.  Just sayin’.

36. Chuck says:

Take it from someone in the media who talks for a living: it happens. I highly doubt that it was any sort of Freudian slip. He simply got tongue-tied… the audio version of a typo.

Centre Hice: one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

Well said, Tommy.  It kind of reminds me about the slip that Kelly Tilgham made on the Golf Channel about Tiger.  She didn’t mean anything by it and Tiger totally agreed with her.

BTW, isn’t about time that the golf world let Ben Wright out of jail over his comments about large chested women and lesbians?  It’s OK for Michael Vick to slaughter innocent dogs for the purpose of “entertainment”, only to return to the world of pro football a few years later.  Wright has been on the sidelines for close to a decade.

38. TommyB says:

Agree that the hit from behind on Weber was a definite 5 minute major, but what I don’t get is, how some hits just like that, or less, are suspendable, and some are not.  I don’t see the line between what is and what is not suspendable.  And if I can’t see that line, how does a player know where that line is?

39. twocents says:

No, I can’t be right, because I am not suggesting he was previously injured. I am just pointing out that there is plenty we may not know.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Sprained/strained something I guess on something that looked innocuous but wasn’t, two cents below speculated Gomez may have been playing hurt already and that’s been throwing him off but he finally overtaxed it. Gionta seemed okay for a few games than had to pull himself out after we found out he had a fractured foot, this is a team of hardcases. Gorges never skips a game no matter how bruised, Gill had his leg sliced open and finished off the PIT series handling Crosby, Moen’s face stitched up and only missing a game…

But it’s the Habs so I doubt we’ll get any useful details, we’ve still got trouble confirming from them that the Berlin Wall went down.

41. Seps says:

That was one of the first well reffed games the Habs have had this season.  Like that hit from behind being a 5 minute was a great call.

42. TommyB says:

Early reports?, speculation?, seem to say it’s a back problem.  If that is the case, I can think of many different ways it could happen.  And there would be many sarcastic, smart*ss, answers to that question available on here as well.

I think it is something that has been covered up and bothered him most of the year. Playing hurt is part of the sport.

They just want to see what this kids got at this level, is all. So just maybe we do not have to go the trade route to replace Markov.

I know… he was pretending to play hockey.

PK will just laugh at the error. Totally innocent miss Q.

On another topic, who knows how Gomez got hurt???

47. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Pang’s best friend is former Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman; he was the best man at Yzerman’s wedding. On Tuesday, January 2, 2007, Pang served as the master of ceremonies for Yzerman’s jersey retirement ceremony, which was held at Joe Louis Arena prior to a game between the Red Wings and the Anaheim Ducks.

You gotta believe Stevie Y’s bud is a “stand up” guy. You could tell he felt bad about the slip and provided an apology.

It is beyond me how Cherry remains in the Canadian public eye. We should all be thankful he is not in politics.

Lot’s of better things to talk about on HIO.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

You could be right, remember Lapierre’s horrific 09-10 season that came from his ankle injury? He wasn’t really himself until the playoffs, than he had 3 different NHL teams wanting to kill him.

49. DearyLeary says:

Indeed.  Hockey skill development has increased by leaps and bounds since the 80s.  Kids are getting power skating lessons from a young age.  Goaltenders actually have coaches now, and they play a much more efficient style.  Coaching consists of more than ‘ok, you play now’.  Hockey has changed, I believe for the better, in the last 20 years.

Yes, the irony, especially when Boone includes lines like these “

The Team Above All concept, which evolved during the playoffs last spring, runs right through the Canadiens’ room. And I think a propensity to talk, rather than listen, is a big part of the problem with P.K.”

Yes, but you fan, chill the … out.

51. Mark C says:

It was an odd special teams game, a lot of PP time and almost zero PK time, where Gill and Josh make their money and ice time.

52. twocents says:

Who knows maybe this injury is something that’s been bothering him all season and he simply hasn’t made an excuse of it. My take in these situations, in the absence of any criticism from coaches or teammates or grumbling by the player, is to assume there’s more than meets the eye.

When the team is winning I don’t feel compelled to interpret what I can’t see.

53. Seps says:

Right after I posted that I thought of the PP because that would make sense

54. TommyB says:

Anyone else see the contradiction, irony, or at least the humour in the Gazette’s Habs Inside/Out posting a story telling fans (HIO readers/posters) they should just chill out on the topic of PK, or any other for that matter?  I know I got a chuckle out of it.

About Pang…I watched the game on TSN last night, and when he made that little slip I winced.  However, I recognized right away that it was just a case of his mouth motoring just a little too fast.  Totally innocent, IMO, and not meant to be at all what many interpreted it to mean.  And hey, I’d be the last one to defend most any of the TSN guys.  I was both surprised, and satisfied, that they came back later with an apology/explanation.  Many would not do that.  Good for TSN.

55. Mark C says:

All PP time, Weber got over 5 minutes while Gorges and Gill got 5 seconds worth. Also, only 21 seconds worth of SH time for Montreal last night. Both Gill and Gorges got more EV time than Weber did.

56. OverseasFan says:

Hey — the man had a good slapshot!

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Forgive me for skimming your 10,000th Gomezphobic posting and I made a mention of last game when Camalleri scored below, which was a garbage pick-up after Hamrlik did everything and it had nothing to do with what Gomez was doing, unless you think he was being very mean to Hamrlik and discouraging him trying to play well.

58. SmartDog says:

Every little bit helps!

It’s just a joke.  I really am starting to feel bad for the guy.   I think the coaching staff has let him down.  They should be helping him figure out why he’s not succeeding and riding him until he breaks out of it.

——-

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Note how many goals were scored in the 70s and 80s. We are talking about an era in hockey when 50-goal seasons weren’t restricted to the 3 best players in the entire league.

60. habfan53 says:

Just looking up some stats and came upon this

GAA:

Plante with  Harvey, Johnson and shut down forwards Marshall, Provost and Goyette   2.24

Dryden with Savard, Robinson and Lapointe with Risebrough, Lambert and Tremblay  2.23

Price no HOF defencemen no steady shut down forwards            2.59

Roy  with Robinson and Chelios early on and a variety (like Price)   2.78

61. Seps says:

Weber was 3rd in minutes last night on D with more minutes than Gorges and Gill.  That’s good for Weber but I dont understand the thinking there.

62. Mattyleg says:

Uhh… since when did lower-body become one word?

Lowerbody?

Hmm, Idontknow.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

63. SmartDog says:

For a guy that puts out ten THOUSAND words per blog post, you think you could read my short note properly before pooping on me. I know Gomez was on the ice for Cami’s goal yesterday.

——

64. punkster says:

Lennon. Too sad. I’m changing my tag. it’s st00pid in light of that.

Reverse psychology worked for Price…Trade PK now while his value is high. DO IT PG!!

65. SmartDog says:

I was talking about the game before.
    Gomez does have some points I realize.
    ——-

66. shiram says:

It was a slip, people dont seem to realize how difficult broadcasting like that.
    Was it a bad slip, of course, but its just a mistake, and he did apologize profusely for it.

Not gonna say much on Cherry, he thrives on this kind of attention.

YOU LEFT WING PINKOS! I’M PUTTING CASES ON ALL  YOU B!TCHES!

(Denzel is awesome)

68. Mattyleg says:

Poor Pang. Totally accidental.

Poor City of Toronto. When your mayor thinks that inviting Grapes to his inauguration is a good idea, you’re in for a loooooong four years.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

69. Mattyleg says:

Ignore TSN. They are full of $hit. Useless commentary. Hot air.

I personally prefer ranking low on their ‘stupid-o-meter’ because if there’s one thing I hate worse than being ignored, it’s being lauded by those overstuffed windbags.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. Mark C says:

Gomez went to the net, which pulled Philips out of Cammalleri’s shooting lane for a split second that allowed Cammalleri to get off a clean shot.

While Gomez doesn’t get a point or a plus, he made the right play again.

71. longtimehabsfan says:

He was even pictured in the paper with Cammy after the goal!!

72. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay my mistake but that still had nothing to do with Gomez being pulled off the line, it was Cammalleri picking up garbage on Hamrlik’s best Offensive play as a Hab ever.

Unless Gomez is such a toxic influence that Hamrlik could only make that play because he wasn’t on the ice when he did it.

73. Storm Man says:

Please don’t give some of the people on here ideas, I get a great AB workout as it is with some of the players wanted here by some.

74. StevieRay says:

Gomez..was on the ice ..

75. light_n_tasty says:

“Last game Gomer was demoted and Halpern moved up and – booom! – Cami scores.”

I think he’s talking about Saturday night.

76. punkster says:

***All You Need Is Love***

77. vic says:

Gome should have turned down the 8 million like everyone on here would.

Maxpac should stay in Hamilton if he is brought up and doesnt score 5 goals the first game he will be hamered.

Suban is finished too many mistakes( 2) imagine when he does return and makes another one ,Hello OBurn.

Hell of away to treat akid who is learning.

78. rocketsglare says:

A win against Detroit this Friday night would certainly enhance the team’s standing in the NHL, but I

would prefer a win against the Maple Leafs on Saturday night, because of the significance of a win over

a division rival. If you had a choice of either a win over Detroit or Toronto, which win would you choose

and why?

79. ctony says:

is carey’s next contract another one-year rfa deal or something long term? what’s do you think the cap hit for a long term deal?

80. ctony says:

A week or so ago, Arpon Basu summarized some advanced stats
    with no apparent agenda and found gomez was playing well below HIS OWN historical
    standards (which, presumably justified his contract).  There’s no question about Gomer’s salary/cap
    hit, they’re off the charts.  We can
    debate his intangibles all day, but his production is underwhelming and on a
    pay-for-performance basis, he sucks so far this year.

None of it matters.

We’re playing well.
    The cap hit didn’t impact our ability to sign Darche, get Halpern or do
    what PG wanted to do this off-season.  It
    would have been nice to get another UFA scorer or top-4 UFA defenseman to play
    some minutes.  So far, we haven’t needed
    them.  TSN’s report today on UFA value suggests
    we wouldn’t have fared any better with the additional player.

If Gomez picks up his game, great.  If not, we can figure what do in June.

For now, CapGeek says we have a little more than $1m in
    space.  At the deadline that would let us
    add about $4m of additional salary.  With
    Markov out, our space could accommodate any one that might be available.

The Gomez discussion, like the Subban debate are way way
    over done.

81. shiram says:

Here is some more info, if you can believe its source, Dany Dubé through yahoo sports, on the Subban situation.

for the non french reading: things happened, some veterans intervened, and it got bad, one, 2, 3 times. Then a comity of leaders went to see the coaches to explain what was happening, and PK’s reaction to being critiqued.

The message to PK is : your talent is important, but not essential for victory. Whats essential is how you behave within the team.

It just seems to me to be a spin on what we already know, with no specified sources…

82. joeybarrie says:

So in response to my post below about Halpern having better numbers than Gomez and the fact that the poster cannot figure out exactly what Gomez bring…..Here we go.

I understand some people do not see what some players bring to a team if they are not scoring or stopping the puck. I understand there are fans who do not understand that there are different aspects to hockey than simply putting the puck in the net. If it were not the case then the Washington Capitals would be your Stanley Cup Champions and they would not have gotten knocked out in the first round by the Habs lead in ice time by Gio and Gomez….

With the NYR Gomez always led the forwards in ice time and points. Especially in the playoffs.

With the NJD Gomez also led the forwards in ice time and points. Again also in the playoffs.

Now being included in these teams where he consistently LED in ice time and points, the teams he played for went TWENTY THREE ROUNDS IN THE PLAYOFFS IN NINE YEARS. Almost 3 rounds per year. Now people will say its a coincidence, however when you are alwyas in the top 2 for ice time and points, I have to tell you that this is a BIG factor in the success…

I wont go into the conversation of how many playoffs teams Jeff Halpern has played for, because Halpern is playing great for us, and that doesnt factor in considering his salary….

But I do feel the need to point out that Glen Sather seemed to have faith in Gomez. Lou Lamoriello had faith in Gomez, and between them they have 6 Stanley Cups.

So I can understand AGAIN that some people only see goals. I get it, its the simple way out. However you have to look at the players success rate in order to gauge these intangibles. Gomez has led some successful teams. So for those who do not think he is worth 7.3 million, then you have to ask yourself if ANY player is worth that much. Alex Ovechkin gets alot of money, he has played in the NHL for 5 years. By this time in Gomez’ career he had 2 Stanley Cups.

By the way in Kirk Muller’s first 7 years with the Devils, he had an average of 74 points per season, missing a total of 4 games… Just an interesting comparison to a player who played for both the Devils and Habs…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

83. shiram says:

So your argument is that he was great so he still should be? Well i dont buy that. And I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the most knowledgeable about hockey, but I can still definately see that he has been struggling this year. It might be because of an injury, we dont know yet, but he is definately struggling, and not just on points, alot of his plays lacked energy and determination.

As far as salaries, he is overpaid, there is no doubt it, but we have his contract, and I still like the guy, I just wish he could start producing, and have his whole line working too.

84. Everlasting1 says:

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

85. christophor says:

No one’s debating his past.

People are saying this slump isn’t just the same old. THAT’s the issue.

I know he’s not useless, but, again, you’re not saying what he brings. You’re just saying he used to bring it. I agree: when he used to bring it, he used to bring it. Oh, that tells us a lot…

In the past he’s slumped, but he didn’t stink like he does now. I’m not hating; I’m worried.

As for talk of numbers with Washington, there are such things as defensive stats.

Explaining my concern and the concern of others as ignorant or only interested in how many pucks go into the net is arrogant and itself ignorant of the many things you can create a statistic for.  I never expected him to be a goalscorer.  But I also never expected that for any given stat, someone who’s supposed to be a 4th liner looks better. You can’t say stats say nothing. Having the TERRIBLE stats he has, you have to admit, is a cause for worry.

All I’m saying is he’s playing BADLY – very badly. Nothing seems more obvious. He may, and I hope he does, turn it around.

86. citizenSanto says:

I really appreciate your efforts, however, far too many fair-weather fans are simply too short-sighted to see the big picture. I will say that anyone who cheers when ANY player who wears their colours gets injured, speaks volumes about their own character.

—————————————
    Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
    – Augustine of Hippo

87. christophor says:

Who’s cheering?

There’s a HUGE difference between hating and critiquing.

Some people think that if you’re not willing to critique someone if the need arises, you don’t respect them.

There’s a difference between players and the team. A lot of fans responding like you don’t care a bit for Gomez; they care that he’s a Hab. They care for the team and not the player for any reason besides the fact he’s on the team. Fine. No problem. Just don’t push someone who’s critiquing a player who they don’t hate into some silly position like being “happy he’s injured”. What would you care about Gomez if he were still a Ranger? If he were playing for them like he is now, I’d still conclude he’s playing badly, as would you.  The difference is that some of us critiquing him are a little more fond of him because he’s a Hab, of course.

I’ll be happy when Gomez turns it around and I wont be like mindless Laff fans parading 4 games into the season, unable to see the details of whats wrong with their team, despite the fact the team was winning. What’s wrong with noticing a struggling Hab?

Gomez is a big part of this current line-up and an intrinsic part of the team. He is more than just a cap hit. We’ll see if the Habs have organizational depth and I suspect they do, but Gomez is still ahead of Halpern and Eller on our depth chart. His absence creates a gaping hole.

His contract, the 8 million dollars, is a dead horse. People are still beating it. Nothing new here.

The nadir at HIO had been hit when people started wishing Gomez would get injured and then he did. Call it karma, synchronicity, bad timing, whatever.

I wish we had both Markov and Gomez back in the line-up. We know one thing. Markov isn’t coming back, Gomez is at one point and hopefully soon.

Gomez will never get enough points to satisfy those who bemoan the contract. Maybe some of these people dislike Gomez’ game so much they wouldn’ even want him for 2 million a year. I figure he’s easily worth 5 million a year at current market value. He got his stupid contract when the CBA ink was barely dry. The economy was strong at the time too. Teams were willing to fork over that kind of cash. Had it not been NY it would’ve been some-one else.

I wish him a speedy recovery but mostly that he doesn’t return too early so as to risk further aggravating his current condition.

89. christophor says:

Like JB, you’re dismissing everyone disagreeing with you as caught up with a detail we just need to accept, and you sound just as arrogant as him. I’m not unreasonably caught up with Gomez not scoring or with his contract. I’m not mentally inferior, needing you to show me the light.  I accept those things about Gomez and I know they wont change: he’s a playmaker and he has a brutal cap hit, ok.

But SO MUCH can be said besides his cap hit, like the fact he’s playing terribly. I agree with you on his position on the depth chart because I still think it’s just a matter of time before he snaps out of it.

Get the point: fans can be worried and even critical without hating.

90. citizenSanto says:

Hey Chris

you, me, and most everyone knew Gomez was struggling. My gripe is with the zealots who actually cheered once he became injured. If you don’t count yourself among that group, then my post should not bother you.

—————————————
    – Augustine of Hippo

91. christophor says:

Sorry Santo, I must have missed the cheering for his injury. I didn’t think that would happen. Silly indeed.

92. habs365 says:

The only thing about the subban benching I don’t like..martin or whom ever is involved with the subban situation..looks like a double standard..the kid made 2 mistakes, they loss a point..big deal..how many points did subban save the team by blocking shots and excellent plays plus his 9 points..guess there’s no rewards for that..just don’t make mistakes or you’re out of here..will they have 20 players that should sit..when I look at the loss column..I see the team has 8 losses..16 mistakes or 2 points a game..16 points..so what are they trying to prove..If I was subban I’d be requesting a trade, Halak did it and he seems to be doing ok..so pk if they don’t let you play soon..that’s the route to take and you won’t have a problem finding a team..to play on egg shells every shift not good……..

93. joeybarrie says:

What Gomez brings is the capability to play a certain type of game. Not expressly attacking and subjecting the rest of the team to make up for mistakes that cause good chances for the other team. Yes Gomez turns over the puck, so does every player in the league. The difference is, that when it usually happens to Gomez the other team isnt in a great position to score. He is a smart player that gets the other players around him to elevate their game. He bring the experience and capability to expressly play a game according to a coaches plans. Among other thing as well, yes you are correct. He is not producing. He is not getting the assists. But let me ask you a question… If his game was only about the points, how in the world can a team that has a player who only has 9 points and gets 1st line ice time (with the exception to the last few games) be 2 points off of leading the league???

Maybe if we had players lighting the league up like Tampa or Pittsburgh, but we do not, we have evenly distributed points amoung our players. In fact there is not one single player on our team who is really having a truly superstar season in regards to points. Not a single player is even at a point per game.

I would be worried if we were losing games. I would be worried if his line was letting in alot of goals. I would be worried if I didn;t see this from Gomez every season in terms of a late start. Given this is his worst yet, but every player has to have a worst season in points. I don’t see any particular aspect of his game that is killing us.  If it were we would not be 2 points and one game in hand out of 1st place in the league…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

94. citizenSanto says:

no sweat man

—————————————
    – Augustine of Hippo

So then don’t lump yourself in with the bean counters. I’ve been critical of Gomez’ game. What’s your point?

I hope he snaps out of it too. Having him increase the scoring ledger with everyone else contributing would make the Habs very difficult to defend against. I’d rather the scoring be spread out amongst the players than focused on one line or two or three stars like the Pens or the Caps. The Habs shut those teams down. A balanced attack is more lethal IMO.

96. newbrunswick troy says:

While watching TSN last night i like many others witnessed DARREN PANG,S FREUDIAN SLIPP…wow that was something…imagine the instant fear that went through his mind as those words came out , hell imagine the fear that was instant in the producers gut!!!!!  I can bet for sure that as of now TSN never mentions the word P.K SUBAN , and if they do you watch , it will be nothing but praise!!!!!!!!

What if that was Don Cherry,   oh shit would hit the fan!!!!

Price’s cap hit = 2.75 million per year

2.50 million this and 3.00 next

In 2012-2013 he’s an arbitration eligible RFA

The cap hit for a long term deal and it’s length will all depend on his play over the next two years.

How’s about 15 million over 4 years? LOL

98. joeybarrie says:

Yes he has been struggling, but he isnt playing badly. He isnt hurting the team. I don’t find that his play lacks energy. Again I will point out that not a single one of our players is lighting up the league. Yet we are right there in the standing looking down on everyone. Yes his Salary is ridiculous, but that happens. My argument is not that he WAS great. My argument was that he has been fairly consistent his whole career. He has led teams in points and ice time. He has led successful teams INCLUDING the Montreal Canadiens. This is simply a small part of his career where he is not producing.

What really bugs me about all this, are the dumb posts about how bad he is. Ignoring the fact that there are other players on our team who are slumping points wise. Cammalleri has 9 goals in 27 games. He is on pace to finish with 26 goals. 6 million for 26 goals is ALSO alot. I mean we are getting the exact same production from AK for half the cost, yet even AK is slacking in the points department compared to what we hoped for.

Kind of similar to all the posts in the last few years about how BAD Hamrlik was, how bad GILL was and so forth. Yet we don’t see the big picture.

Kind of reminds me of all the posts I read about Cammi last year in the first 20 games. He couldnt score. People all said that we wasted the money, and that only 1 season with 39 goals wasnt worth 6 million. Yet once we hit the playoffs we really saw what Cammi could do… Same with Gomez.

In the end my point was simply this. He has been consistent when it comes to the whole season, and that for me is the measure of a player.  Its too often we see a player play well for a short amount of time, and judge them solely on that. Gomez has had 11 seasons of excellence.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

99. Bugs says:

If we go with 7 D next game (meaning Boyd would sit again, which I doubt), it’s Soobie who should play forward, I think, since he has more of a nose for the net than Weber who, let’s face it, is utterly useless up front.

If not, then Weber or Picard sit. Back to the same dilemma.

Oh dear, oh dear!

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

100. joeybarrie says:

I fail to see how a player who is getting top line minutes, ie. playing 1/3rd of the game, and his team is leading the league can be defined as playing terrible. From what I see his attacking game is in a slump and not as effective as it has been previously. But he is still out there doing good things. He is still out there making things happen for us. We couldnt set up a single shot on a 5 minute PP last night without him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

101. newbrunswick troy says:

a couple of points: 1- Webber looked ok…but not a godsend or anything….Suban is difinitly better!!!(not that i want them to throw away Webber though!!)

2- Habs didn,t look pretty last night as they never really do, but still there stile of hockey nets results!!!! CUDO to J.M for that

3-  This team is definitly better with Gomez in lineup, yes i agree not $8mil better but  he brings a puck movement thru the  nutural zone the nobody else can do ( now that Markov,s gone) so for that we get off his ass!!!

4- I Sure do think that playing the RED WINGS will be a very good measuring stick, if they keep in it , well that will go a long way for me to say this team is for real, or it should let P.G now that he has to start shopping!!

102. Mark C says:

There is a lot more behind the scenes stuff to Subban’s bench than those two mistakes. How can you even think Subban should request a trade 27 regular season games into his career? He’s 21 and a rookie, benching happen; you really think he should be taking his puck and running home?

103. Da Hema says:

I have been critical of Gomez’s play. At times this season I thought he was a little too dispassionate and kind of glib in his play. I have no right to ask people not to be explicitly critical of Gomez’s play thus far this season. This is an open forum.

However, there are some boundaries–even in the Wild West that is the Internet–that some posters have crossed–particularly those who have consistently and explicitly stated their desire to see Gomez get injured. Unfortunately your comment that “fans can be worried and even critical without hating” is simply false because some posters as a matter of fact and record have done so.

Please don’t misunderstand–I am not suggesting you are one of these posters. But the festering bitterness and anger that appears to accompany an increasing number of posters and their comments on this site mystifies me–although regrettably it does not surprise me.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

104. Landof10000lakesHab says:

“If I was subban I’d be requesting a trade”

Really??

- I’m taking my puck and I’m goin’ home.

- No coach is going to tell me how to play.

- Use me or trade me.

I wonder how many wins the Habs would have if more players shared this thinking?

PK will be in a Habs uni for many years.

No one is bigger than the team, and all answer to the coach.

Halak was a late draft pick who overcame all odds, but knew that he was never going to be the long term #1 tender in Habville. He put in his time, had success, & was a team player. The trade has benefited the Blues, Lars Eller, and Carey Price (Hopefully, Ian Schultz in future). Hard to beat that!

105. shiram says:

“My argument is not that he WAS great. My argument was that he has been
    fairly consistent his whole career. He has led teams in points and ice
    time. He has led successful teams INCLUDING the Montreal Canadiens. This
    is simply a small part of his career where he is not producing.”

So i guess you are saying he is still great, cause you list past achievements. So i guess he was great afterall!
    But that does not mean we should dismiss the present, and he is in a slump.
    Now don’t get me wrong, I wouldnt want to see him in Hamilton, or any other rash things like that, but not realizing that something is not clicking in his game this season is a bit delusional.

Also some of the fans reaction to his play have been overblown, but this the Habs fans and that seems to be the norm.

Anyways, I never would wish an injury on any Habs, and I wish him well, and a speedy recovery too.

106. J_P says:

9 points in 28 games and minus-2 on the season….yup, hes really making things happen out there!

He’s not here to be a checking forward.  Heck Mathieu Darche has 10 pts in 22 games and is PLUS-9.  Halpern has 15 pts in 28 games and is PLUS-10.  They both make league minimum.  Gomez makes $8 million, and ties up $7.3 million of our cap….

But I mean, who needs to get production from $7.3 million of cap space…I mean its not like its stopping us from getting a sizeable top-6 forward, or a physical defensemen or anything like that… oh wait? It is….awww shoot.

Yup, that gomez, really the cog that makes the habs run….

107. joeybarrie says:

Lets try to remember I did not say he was lighting up the league. I said he was not playing TERRIBLE… If you think 9 points in 28 games is terrible I cant imagine what you think of Dominic Moore….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

108. joeybarrie says:

Im not saying he is currently playing great. I am saying there are different aspects to his game, and he isnt simply a points player. Otherwise we would be looking like the New Jersey Devils…

People keep saying how bad a player he is. How he is not even a top line player. He gets top line minutes…. He score top line points compared to his teams with his currect slump as an exception.

I am not trying to dismiss the present. HOWEVER, lets keep remembering about other players slumps. It frustrates me when we whip on one particular player and give the rest the day off because we do not realize.

In the end it is pretty simple. The slump will end, and we have had more success with him on our team than without… since 1993…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

109. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Jeff Halpern via phone today on NHL Power Play (NHL Network).

Gives kudos to CP for being key to Habs record, “even the games we don’t deserve winning or even being in the game”.

When questioned about PK, Halpern states that PK is ”very respectful off the ice, does things the right way” and “this has nothing to do with him as a person, or even as a player, I think they (Habs Mgmt) just wanted to point out a couple of things” and “he is a huge part of our team and I hope he knows that and I know the team knows that”.

110. matraque says:

Yes please, chill out PK fans

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

Best comment on YouTube page

I can’t wait for Subban to get black… back in the lineup.

112. idle says:

I prefer this one:

“The white way, the right way” – Darren Pang

Now the worry Gomez people on here will see how much he does out there for us. Going to be hard to replace a fella that plays that many minutes and controls the play.

114. idle says:

The second wave of the powerplay with Gomez and Cammalleri have been pretty successful lately.

115. Psycho29 says:

I agree Ian…..but who will everyone complain about now?

This team is 18-8-2 for 38 points, that’s 12 points better than last year at this time.

Sure there are players who got off to bad starts, but that’s when other players have picked up the slack.

What impresses me most is, they are playing as a team…Doesn’t seem to be any cliques, like there was supposedly a few years ago before Bob Gainey cleaned house.

Fans were quick to criticize Gauthier for most of his moves, but Eller and Halpern seem to have worked out so far.

I’ll take this ‘team’ over the gang of under acheivers we had back before the big purge a couple of years ago.

116. Psycho29 says:

I have the same issue with the links to last night’s game….I saw someone posted last night it’s an “I.T.” issue.

Personally I think Stubbs and Hickey haven’t been paying their bills….

Julie! how did you get Ben to smile like that. You look good together!

118. Exit716 says:

It costs more to go see a Brockville Braves game than an NHL game. $12 for adults.

119. Say Ash says:

$10? Total ripoff. Their Ducks game is $9.

120. Julie H says:

I find it hard to believe the Islanders draw a nightly home crowd of 10,000ish. On stubhub, tickets for their game against the Thrashers this satuday start at 10$. I think they are in trouble.

As for the win, way to go boys. Hammer’s goal was awesome, Gionta’s was very pretty (especially after the goal he almost had in the first). Good for Halpern as well.

Fun fact: the sens have played 30 games and in 13 of them (including last night’s contest) they have managed to score one or zero goals.

On a sidenote: is anyone else having trouble viewing previous articles? I can’t even look at the one about our win that was posted last night :(

121. Exit716 says:

I’m sure Pang was channelling his inner Elmer Fudd.

122. Julie H says:

Thanks Ian! I used to baby sit for him and his wife on game nights. When I heard they were coming to the airport last Monday I knew I had to be there to see him.

123. habfan53 says:

Now HE is an athelete that can be a role model.  Works hard shows respect and is humble.

124. Julie H says:

He is crazy humble. I asked how he was (all while we were talking, people were shouting about him coming back and how was the game and whatnot) and he says “so how are you? what are you up to lately?” such a kind man.

125. habfan53 says:

When they stopped the game in Montreal after he set the record he looked embaressed. You could see he did not want the attention.

126. J_P says:

Good win by the habs.  Too bad for PK, looks like he will be sitting again.  I dont see how JM can put him back in at this point, because if he does, and the habs lose, I dont even want to think about the controversy.

I find the habs this season are very similar to those New Jersey teams of the past.  Solid team defense matched with opportunistic offense.  Boring to watch at times, but effective.

3rd in the east, and two points out of first with a game in hand.  Not too shabby habbies, not too shabby at all.

127. Rice Miller says:

I’m willing to bet PK will be back on the ice Friday against the Wings and Saturday against the hated leafs. Although Weber has done everything he has been asked to do for the three games, he had a few defensive end mishaps last night, which is a real no-no for Jacques Martin. The Habs will also want to have their “A” game ready for Detroit, and that “A” game will includes PK on the PP. He has has had his come-up-ance and now it’s time to move on.

As for your contention of that there will be a contraversy if they lose, all I can say is, when isn’t there a contraversy in Montreal? Futhermore, do you think the Management of this team really cares what all of us arm chair quarterbacks think of their player moves? I’m pretty sure JM and PG don’t consult HIO before they go about their business of running the Montreal Canadiens

128. samTHEman says:

Would you trade Price for Stamkos straight up? Let’s see all the No’s pile up now that Price is playing like arguably the best goaltender in the world

129. SeriousFan09 says:

TBL is showing what happens when you have perhaps the most natural scorer in the world but no goaltending. I’ll stick with what we have.

130. sholi2000.com says:

Ooooooooom that’s a tough question.

Natural goal scores like Stamkos are hard to come by.

If we had Halak and Price, then I would say yes and I’m one of the biggest Price fans around.

Price is something special.  To go through what he did this summer and survive it beyond belief.

SCREW THAT, IT takes a a team to win.  No I would not trade him for Stamkos right now.  :)

They Call Me Shane

131. idle says:

Yes chill out P.K fans… Like McGuire.  How many times last night did he blubber about how the Habs needed P.K back on the powerplay?  Did I miss a bunch of powerplay goals from or as a direct result of P.K this year?  I got nothing against P.K and at times he has played well on the power play (when he doesn’t stay on the ice too damn long) but it’s not like as P.K goes the power play goes.

132. Bar says:

….can you say the PP is better without Subban than with Subban? Last nights PP was terrible. I watched the EDM/ANH game afterwards and drooled over their PP, they had D that could actually pass the puck and didn’t rely completely on their forwards.

133. Say Ash says:

Do Max Pac and Double D play together in Hamilton?

134. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

false

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

135. scrowe21 says:

damn. that sucks ( oilers ) . Hossa I couldn’t care less about.

136. andrewberkshire says:

I have Hossa, Kane and Parise in my big money hockey pool this year. Injuries are killing me.

137. Mike says:

As much as I don’t like seeing guys get hurt. That helps us in the long run. We need the Oilers and other bottom teams to lose and the leafs to start winning.

Horcoff out 8 weeks while Hemsky may miss a month.  Hossa placed on IR by the Hawks.

139. Say Ash says:

Wouldn’t it be better for them to be brought up together if the opportunity presented itself?

140. scrowe21 says:

I doubt it. Even though DD has been a huge reason for Maxpac’s success this year, Pacioretty should be capable of playing the same game with other centers like Gomez or Eller who are already proven to be NHL players..Not sure DD could keep it up with the Habs.

141. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

You could say the same thing about Eller.  DD had a better season in the AHL than Eller last year.  He was semi effective at the NHL level (as in he looked like he was doing OK, no production to show for it)

Kind of like Eller right now.  I think Desharnais is easily as good as Eller.  He is smaller,  but that’s it…  There are plenty of effective smaller centermen today – Pleks / Giroux / Briere / Derek Roy come to mind

142. scrowe21 says:

Yeah I guess I shouldn’t have listed Eller as proven in the NHL, but personally ill take a 6’2 Eller who is younger, improving each game with the Habs over 5’5 Desharnais who is dominating the AHL..I know he is listed at 5’7 on some sites, but hes not. Size does matter when you are that small, unless you’re Gionta and can blow past everyone. I just don’t see DD ever getting a spot on the team, even if Gomez is out for awhile. Plekanec, Eller,Halpern,Lappy will fill up centers..maybe bring Boyd back in or call up Pacman.

143. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

All other things being equal – yes.  If Eller has the same talent / hockey sense / shot / passing as DD, and he is bigger, then yes.  There’s nothing proving that this is the case.

DD will never be a Malkin or an Eric Stall,  but could he provide secondary scoring on a 3rd line, given some devellopment?  He’s proven he can perform against bigger opponents by dominating the Q / ECHL and AHL.  He’s proven that he can be an impact player.

144. avatar_58 says:

I will chill, but only because they are winning. ;)

145. havok says:

I know, but its funny

146. Say Ash says:

A certain McGill linebacker might have played a role.

147. habfan53 says:

Great shot (and goal) by Saku last night

148. SeriousFan09 says:

Saw the replay. Always will miss my #11 on the ice.

149. Julie H says:

Any chance you’re going to the game January 22nd? I’m going to the game and practice just to see Koivu :)

150. SeriousFan09 says:

I will be there on the 22nd, can’t pass up an opportunity to see Saku on Bell Centre ice.

151. Julie H says:

Good stuff! Where will you be sitting?

152. habfan53 says:

Did L.A. play at the Bell Centre last year?? Will this be his first trip back??

153. SeriousFan09 says:

White seats, center area. I’d have to check again but I went with that so I’d have the best view of the whole game on a limited budget.

154. SeriousFan09 says:

MTL played the California teams on a road trip last season, first time Saku’s been on the Bell Centre ice since Game 4 against Boston in the 2009 sweep.

155. Julie H says:

I really wanted to go on a road trip to watch those three games in Cali but from Montreal I’d spend more days traveling than anything else. Maybe I’ll see you at this game :)

156. habfan53 says:

That’s what I thought.  I expect he will get a VERY WARM welcome  unlike Heatley’s breturn to Ottawa.

157. KenD29 says:

On a different topic, like the new picture with Cahoon.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

158. Julie H says:

Thank you :) I like your picture too. What a neat mask.

159. KenD29 says:

Took me hours to paint ! lol

Have been to many an Als game and my brother has met Ben at one of his events at a car retailer. While there were many people there, he took the time to speak with everyone individually and was more than willing to give autographs. A class act for sure.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

160. Storm Man says:

Don’t be sad Gomer will be back soon.

161. joshua94k says:

CBC’s Elliot thinks the Subban issue is similar to Price last season. He thinks Subban was too confident.

First of all, the Canadiens don’t overly praise their players. They have confidence in him and wouln’t bring him up in the play-offs if they didn’t think so. With Markov injured they want to see how Webber is doing before deciding on getting another defenceman, forward, or stay with the current group of players.

162. NoTinFoilCups says:

Intriguing. You’ve spread out the midgets nicely too. But I’d go with Darche over Lapierre.

163. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

Why not try Desharnais?  He had a much better season last year in the AHL than Eller.  60GP / 27G /51A vs 70GP / 18G /39A for Eller

He has consistenly had one of the highest +/- ratings in the AHL.  He also had a great training camp.  I’d like to see him as 4th line center, swapping with Halpern every couple of shifts.  At face value,  he has the same potential as Eller, and a better track record.  He had a few good games in the NHL last year (Pens game comes to mind).  We haven’t seen anything significantly better from Eller at this level yet.  Why not have a little healthy competition between the 2 as we’ve done with PK and Weber?  Works in the team’s advantage

Crazy idea;

AK46 / Plek / Cammy – the raw talent line

Gionta / Eller / Lapierre – grit and speed line

Pouliot / Desharnais / Max Pac — secondary scoring- energy line

Pyatt / Halpern / Moen – shutdown line

I think Weber is the best Habs prospect on D, this year. I mean It’s obvious that PK is weak between the ears and was mishandled. He’s flopping down too quickly and isn’t tracking the puck well anymore. I suggested having him stay in Hamilton way back in the summer and earning his spot but no, he was handed the role of star rookie defenceman, annointed to the role like a thorough bread in a baker’s dozen, yet Weber has had to work harder than PK up the ranks, never being star or the best, yet Weber slowly and quietly has won at every level. It’s just that at their current stage of development, Weber is ahead of the curve. Maybe PK has a higher ceiling but that has to be proven at the NHL level. Right now Weber should be given more starts than PK.

Hunh! Hunh!!!

165. scrowe21 says:

..Why do you think PK is weak between the ears?

He basically took the blame after the game against Edmonton, has handled every interview perfectly, even after being scratched for 3 games…he has said all the right things. His play was fine, he made a couple rookie mistakes and paid for them. Weber made a couple mistakes and Price/Picard saved him. Not saying Weber isn’t playing great, because he is…but everyone makes mistakes. PK plays a much more physical game, and is better defensively than Weber. You already forgetting all those great plays he made this year to break up breakaways, odd man rushes, all the blocked shots?

If its obvious that PK is weak between the ears, I must have missed something..

David David, how you can dance around !

PK between the ears is just fine my friend. We have two kids, playing two different styles that will benefit our club enormously. Let them both develop and battle each other for ice time, it is a very healthy situation.

167. kempie says:

PK has a weak glove.

168. SmartDog says:

LOL

Pretty much a find-replace on Halak and Price.  Too cute.

——-

169. Da Hema says:

Perhaps it doesn’t matter, but I sense you are being provocative for its own sake. That said, I will take your claims earnestly. I believe you are far too harsh in your assessment of Subban’s overall play. He and Picard were consistently among the team leaders in plus/minus, and Subban’s ability to move the puck out of the defensive zone has been one reason–there are others too–why our opponents are no longer forechecking with almost reckless abandon our defencemen into the glass–that strategy is too risky now.

I find Subban articulate, engaging, and thoughtful in interviews. He understands his overall play has deteriorated of late, and there is absolutely no evidence he is pouting like S. Kostitsyn or other Habs in the past. More importantly, he accepts responsibility for his play–which is the sign of a young man with a good head, not a dense one as you claimed. He will be playing sooner rather than later.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

170. J_P says:

Wow halak/price all over again, just insert PK as price and Weber as Halak.

Well, if thats the case, than we all know how things are going to turn out for PK, and how things are going to turn out for weber lol

171. joeybarrie says:

This is my vote for Post of the season so far… There is so much entertainment here, and you did it in only 7 lines…. EXCELLENT.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

172. MTLForever says:

your assessment of pk is terrible..

173. notbigbird says:

Nice parody. Missed by many.

174. Say Ash says:

But PK’s rodeo skills are better, right?

175. citizenSanto says:

you never let me down doubleH.

A+

—————————————
    – Augustine of Hippo

176. SeriousFan09 says:

Always worth tuning in for the comedy of Habs I/O, last season gave us so much rich material to parody into this one.

177. JIMVINNY says:

woosh….

178. BrianSkrudland says:

A steal of a deal considering our Braves are second in their division. Can you afford not to go to the games, is the question!

179. MTLForever says:

apparently the great plays and good games by pk don’t exist to him

It’s a joke. I am spoofing the Halak/Price debate from last season. Geez guys, get with the program. Do we need to get Sheldon to read you the riot act?

181. Julie H says:

We always have things to complain about, that pot never seems to run out.

Ian. I agree. I was doing the Halak/Price thing just replaced with Weber/Subban instead. ;-) I WAS KIDDING!!!!!

Anyways it’s D not goaltending. Having two young NHL prospects that are giving every indication that they are NHL ready or very, very close is a very good thing. Again buddy. I am just pulling y’alls legs. It’s a farce. An HHism. :)

183. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Whooooooosh, right over most people’s head apparently…

I enjoyed it ;)

Spoken like a true Habs fan.

185. Mad Habber says:

My thoughts…

Darren Pang, I believe it was an accidental thing, but still seems odd since they were talking about PK….anyone else and no one would have noticed…

Don Cherry, I said last year during the playoffs that Don Cherry doesn’t bother me as much as 90% of the other clowns on CBC. He doesn’t mince words, or hide anything. PK isnt the first player that Cherry has bashed for something he does. Everyone is trying to make it out like he is some kind of racist, (Maybe he is, I don’t know). I think CHerry’s feud is over something a little less err…I don’t know a little less devious….I remember the first interview they did with him, Cherry was just gushing over him, and then he pronounced where he was from (or a team he played with I can’t remember) but PK corrected him. Cherry just seems like the kind of guy that would slow burn over something like that. I find it funny reading some of the articles linked below criting him up and down for him expressing his political views on CBC…:S However I seen several going the opposite direction, and not a word..I suppose one is only allowed to express a view so long it is in line with whatever the writers believe is acceptable.

Now CBC coverage on Saturday, Hurdey said something about putting PK back in because Weber wasn’t the guy of the future…Well Weber may not be #1 but I do believe that it takes 6 d man doesn’t it? Sure PK’s a great player but he isn’t ever going to be playing 60 minutes a game at all six defensive positions and in case Hurdey didn’t know it Spacek, Hamrlik and Gill aren’t exactly getting younger…(Although I suppose you could make a case for Hamrlik playing like he is younger, he has really stepped it up). All I’m saying why rush to get PK back in when the team is winning with Weber.

That being said, with GOmez out someone is going to have to step up in dragging the puck out of the Habs end, something PK can do. Perhaps 7 d vs Detroit?

186. homerbowen says:

Living in the Toronto area I get great enjoyment out of listening to the “talking heads” on the noon hour hockey radio show on the FAN 590. These clowns are spouting off that the Habs (without Markov) are desperate to pick up Kaberle. They then debated who they should get for Kaberle and Eller’s name came up and they all chimed in that would not be enough!!! Can you believe these losers. First, I do not want Kaberle, or any other tainted Laff playing for the Habs ever. As we all know Burke has been trying to trade him for well over a year now and obviously his value on Kaberle is far greater than the other teams. In any event he’s a UFA after this season.

Please…..Do not make trades with the Laffs.

187. LNev says:

I heard them too… in Doug Maclean’s defense, he did say that Eller was worth MORE then just Kaberle and that for 2 years BurkIE (cuz they love to call him BurkIE) couldn’t trade Kaberle for anything.  He asked Kypreos what makes Kaberle more valuable now then during the summer and “Kypper” just kept roaring his non-sense with out acknowledging Maclean’s comment (His only intelligent comment this year btw.)

Luke

188. Ayan_SB says:

For all of those people crying over PK, you do realize that every rookie in recent meory not named Ovechkin or Crosby has been benched right?

189. J_P says:

Lol excellent point.

For sure management doesnt consult HIO, but when you’re talking about young players, theres definitely a huge benefit to avoiding controversy.  Younger players are definitely more greatly affected by what gets said about them in the media than seasoned vets.