Video: Therapy day for Habs goalie Price

screen-capture

Goaltender Carey Price has a therapy day today in Brossard. Jeff Halpern, Andrei Markov and Max Pacioretty all skated on the second sheet of ice. Defenceman James Wisniewski has shed his cage and is now wearing a half-shield, having been behind bars, as it were, since mid-February when he was struck in the face with a shot.

The Canadiens will practise Tuesday and Wednesday before flying to Boston for Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal vs. the Boston Bruins.

The extra day off between Game 3 and 4, by the way, is because of a Rush concert at the Bell Centre. The extra day between Game 5 in Boston and Game 6 in Montreal is because of Lady Gaga. Kylie Minogue misses the schedule madness, arriving to perform the day after an if-necessary Game 7 in Boston.

1. Not sure if you guys saw this, but over the weekend Carey Price gave one of our own RichardM a big birthday surprise.

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

2. Gorges_the_great says:

I don’t mind the Habs being the underdogs at all, but for the sake of argument, I don’t think the stats favour the Bruins that much. They have only 3 more regulation wins than the Habs. Over an 82 game season that’s not a big difference. Sure, they got to the shootout more often but I’m not sure that’s saying that much. On top of that the Habs won the season series 4-2 and they have better special teams. When you add in the playoff experience on both teams, you could almost call it a toss up (almost, I said). In fact, if two teams that people tend to be less polarized about had these stats, I think people would call it a toss up. Go back and look and imagine I said Anaheim instead of the Habs and Nashville instead of the Bruins and you have to admit you’d look at this series in a very different way.

That said, on paper the Bruins look better. But ‘on paper’ lacks the entire dynamic of the teams and that’s a huge part of the equation. I say Anaheim, I mean Habs, in six. Well…and Anaheim in six too.

• Clay says:

“When you add in the playoff experience on both teams, you could almost call it a toss up ”

I believe we have 6 players with cup rings, and Boston has only one. Advantage Habs.

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

• Gorges_the_great says:

I meant when you add playoff experience to the rest of the equation it evens it out precisely because of what you said, the Habs have experience advantage.

I think Boston has two Dr. Recchi and Thornton. That’s not saying much though. I only count 5 players on the Habs with rings, Gomez, Gionta, Moen, Gill and Sopel. Still though, advantage Habs.

3. Ton says:

i had a guy today questioning players courage in todays hockey, paid big bucks but will not play in the playoffs because of injuries. ex. tanquay. bobby baun, bobby orr were most likely forced to play or wanted dearly to play. i am sure max and markov would have been back for the playoff in the old days.

• otter649 says:

The old days did not have the medical technology etc they have today so to say Max & Markov would be back in the old days with the injuries they have is showing ignorance or lack of common sense……..

• Ton says:

No your missing the point, what I am saying is that in the old days they would have been forced to play by their teams because it was ran by union haters and greedy owners. understand?

• Trisomy 21 says:

If that was your point you forgot to mention it in the first post.
          I’m sure you’re both right though. See Gretzky’s interview, the guys with post concussion syndrome were questioned as to why they weren’t playing well.

4. JD_ says:

I fully expect the majority of pundits to pick the Broonz over the Habs. They seeded 3rd, the Habs 6th. Moreover, although the Habs dominated the season series, the mental impression on most people was formed by the last three games, which included a mindless beatdown, the biggest D-man in the league breakin’ a young player’s neck as the result of a reckless play, and an epic rout.

Havin’ said all that, pundit playoff predictions and two clams will get you a cup of coffee. As we see year in and year out, over and over and over again, they are almost always worth jack shit.

The thing about those last three games is that they were all characterized by mediocre goaltendin’ – Timmy in the last game, excepted – includin’ appearances by both Rask and Auld. With that in mind, for all the calls regardin’ brains vs brawn and speed vs bleed, I firmly believe this is gonna come down to Timmy v Carey.

I’ll give Timmy the edge at the outset cause he’s had a Vezina-winnin’ season. Havin’ said that, Price has evolved into an elite goaltender and, as a result, this horse race is gonna be won by a nose. The real challenge, and the only way the Habs take the series, is to find a way to get inside Tim Tom’s head.

If the Habs don’t crowd the sweet spot, particularly on the PP, this will be over before it starts. If they do, and they cash, and Tommy finds himself battlin’ for breathin’ room, then on to Washington in round two.

Chara is the lynchpin in all of this. Nobody is gonna challenge him physically. His greatest weakness is his temper. This is Gomer’s opportunity to salvage his season: Relentless, indefatigable, and persistent agitation. In as much as Chara can be the difference for Thomas’ mindset, Gomer can rise to the occasion and be the difference for the Habs and their drive to undress Thomas.

Gionta has a long history of gettin’ under Z’s skin. Tomas Jagr has evolved into a pesky little shit-disturber. In Chara’s face from the moment the puck drops. Yeah, he’s a big boy, but the refs are not gonna allow him to take liberties night and night out. It’s the only way.

I’ll take a split in Beantown and leave the rest to a rabid Bell Centre crowd hopped up on crystal meth.

5. Ton says:

who cares what the experts say. nhl network was split, habs in 7 and bruins in 6. the game is played on the ice, let them play. My heart says habs, realistically habs would be favorites with max, gorges and markov in the lineup. i hope they play well and who knows, sure want to beat those guys bad, don’t want to lose to them bastards.

• LA Loyalist says:

One thing about the experts that’s bogus, is picking anyone in “7”. Any series that goes to 7 is utterly a crapshoot in the 7th game due to the strange things that can happen in hockey, a rut in the ice, a weird bounce, a bad call.

I think if you have any balls you call the team you think is strongest in not more than 6, because either team can (and have) won game 7s.

6. forskis says:

For those looking for ANY media member choosing the Habs over the B’s…SHOCKINGLY it is Scott Burnside of ESPN, he picks the Habs in 7 but not because of the Habs; he is not sold on the B’s.

Also, every other ESPN media member picks the B’s in 6 or 7, except Barnaby who picks the B’s in 5. I stand by my prediction, if it goes 6 or 7, the Habs prevail, 4 or 5, the B’s prevail.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

• thebigguy says:

When you see a higher seed being predicted to win in 6 or 7, it’s generally that whoever predicting isn’t fully sold on that team winning. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

• LA Loyalist says:

Does anyone else think a longer series works against us?

If we can get them wondering quickly with speed, power play and discipline, I think we have a shot. I think if it goes longer than 5 they will physically wear us down (I don’t mean funny stuff) and we don’t have the depth to stay with them if it’s lots of 1 on 1 battles on the boards for 6-7 games.

What do you guys think?

• Ton says:

throwa the big team bs out window, these guys are trained athletes, bigger guys burn more fuel, small guys that are strong on their skates are hard to play against. look at DD, 6-7 inches shorter than pouliot but much stronger on his skates. montreal has a good chance, momentum swings in the series will happen often. i think it will come to goaltending, if price can be good to very good, not sensational but very good I think we will beat them.

• mrhabby says:

i would say a longer series works against the habs. without markov, gorges back there it will put alot of pressure on our slower dmen. spacek helps.

• Ton says:

back in the 20 years ago and more so in the 70’s you could make a prediction like montreal (8 loses all year) over a team like chicago in 4. with parity now upon us its a guessing games and nothing less than a ratings game or newspapers sold. too close to call. here’s may prediction> my heart and my “wants” say habs in 4, does it mean anything?

7. Danno says:

I never bought tickets for the playoffs before so it’s new to me. But I was lucky on Saturday and got two of the “Ultimate Fan Pack” i.e. nosebleed seats.

While I did get confirmation and a receipt I did not get tickets I could print. It says on the receipt to pick up at the box office. Why is it some people got tickets they could print from their e-mail but in this case I have to pick up instead?

I should add when I was purchasing the tickets the option would not allow me to select the method of receiving the tickets.

Thanks for the help

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• LA Loyalist says:

Here (in LA) you pay $2.50 extra per ticket to be able to print your own tickets instead of going to will call. There may have been a button to push that you missed. I’m sure the systems are similar, the ticket pirates screw us everyway imaginable.

8. kmachabs27 says:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=361864, Scott Cullens picks, bruins in six, bruins canucks finals.

9. LL says:

If I have to read one more comment about Don Cherry, I’m going to puke. ;)

It is all about our team….who cares what an oversized Santa’s helper has to say. (Remember the green suit?)

I think I need some therapy days before the playoffs begin as well. lol

• Jeff says:

Larisa, I must apologize to you, I was out of line the other night.

A few too many Rums and Cokes will do that, again sorry.

I do pick the Habs in 6 but it will be tough for sure, enjoy Labrador City LOL.

10. Chris79 says:

The only Person i heard say that Montreal will win in 7 is Analyst Mike Johnson…

11. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Well folks, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But two venerated, revered hockey journalists — Don Cherry and PJ Stock — have both shocked the sporting world, and loyal CBC readers, by choosing the Bruins to win this series. I’m at a loss for words. But it isn’t as bad as it initially seems. Mike Milbury has not weighed in yet. Unless he defies all expectations, as did Cherry and Stock, surely he will do as we all expect and predict a Montreal victory.

Bless you all, but mostly bless the CBC, our national broadcaster extraordinaire.

• solomio says:

Casper…most everybody is picking Boston to win the series against the Habs

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Same Don Cherry that picked the Leafs to make the playoffs and Price, not Halak in St.Louis.

“Hate the Bruins like a sickness”

• VancouverHab says:

Dude: what percentage of HABS FANS, let alone hockey people in general, picked Price over Halak the day after the trade? Hmm?

Don Cherry on this was no better or worse than the majority on this one.

• punkster says:

I’m not going to argue it however the largest number of Habs fans we are exposed to is right here on this site. While a vocal group wailed and called doom and gloom on our house just as many were OK with the trade. But the majority on here? I have no idea what percentage and nor do you really.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• LA Loyalist says:

in the interest of avoiding revisionism, there were really 3 sides to the story:
            1. Keep Price
            2. Keep Halak
            3. If Halak has to go, did we get value for him?

I am personally in the 3rd group, but that’s not the point, the point is that it made the debate more contentious all summer because there was no way of evaluating the trade. And to this day do we know what Eller is worth? Hell no. He’s shown flashes, but we won’t know for a year or two yet. And there is also the JM factor, which I won’t get into, with respect to his working with young players, which many people question.

My point is that it was never an up/down kind of thing like the Latendresse/Pouliot trade which was straight up our head case for your head case with each side taking a chance.

The Halak deal? Jury is still out on value. Luckily, Price has matured and stayed healthy. May it remain so.

• A lot of intelligent hockey fans instantly said it was the right move.

• VancouverHab says:

My memory of the immediate aftermath was that the majority here slammed the trade. I could certainly be mistaken in my memory of course.

I don’t doubt that the intelligent people were in support of it, but my recollection is of reading through a wave of outrage here. (I myself had to counter my youngest son’s youthful outrage by detailing the rational reasons for the move.)

So the point of repeating my recollections was that since a majority (or certainly many) on a partisan Habs site were pro-Halak, it’s not a mark against a non-Hab fan that he declared against the trade.

• samTHEman says:

Rofl some moron called in Team 990 around noon and said there is absolutely no reason to believe Price will play the same level of hockey Halak played last spring, and that the only reason Halak played that way was because he was their go-to guy and without him, the habs who “happened to be on the same team as phenom Halak” wouldn’t have made the playoffs.

Uhh…I’d like to know what this guy is smoking? Because Price having a Vezina and Hart (less likely but honorable mention) type of year isn’t good enough for you? Just another idiotic Price hater. Next.

How can you claim to be a Habs fan and not like Price? This season he IS the team. The Habs are in 6th without a 30 goal scorer (Ok…Gionta has 29), only 3 guys above 20 and NOBODY over a pitiful 57 points (mind you Cammi missed a bit of time).

~Kiss my ass Lucic!!!!

• LL says:

Unfortunately Carey’s amazing year and even Halak’s average year, can’t get through the egos of some people. They have waited 10 months after the trade just to be able to say “I told you I was right”.

And even if Carey stands on his head and has an 1.00 GAA but our team scores 0 goals, it will be his fault. Might as well accept it and not get mad about it. 10 months and some people can’t let go….I could understand if it was “the love of your life” type of situation but a goalie on your fav team? Yikes

• Clay says:

Not so for me Larisa. I was very vocal about the trade, and not on Price’s side. However, if he plays well and we lose, no blame will come from my lips (or keyboard). He has been impressive this season no doubt, and how can any Habs fan ask for more?

__________________________

• LL says:

You’re an intelligent person Clay, I don’t clump you with that group.

Boy this series is going to be a hoot. :)

• samTHEman says:

There was a chart with about 7-10 analysts all giving their predictions for Round 1. All picked Caps and all were wrong. Round 2, all picked Pens and all were wrong. I’d like to see if any of them is going to have the guts to pick Montreal this time around.

If anyone finds that chart with the predictions of all the hockey analysts, post a link please. THanks

~Kiss my ass Lucic!!!!

• ZepFan2 says:

“But two venerated, revered hockey journalists — Don Cherry and PJ Stock

:lol:

————————————————————————
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

12. Keith says:

I still have to laugh at all the so-called experts, who to a man, ALWAYS underestimate the underdog factor. They are all picking Boston over Montreal and Vancouver over Chicago. It will be nice to see them humbled again, and I sure hope it happens.

• samTHEman says:

God…the whole police involvement is a total joke and it won’t lead to anything. So f’n ridiculous. I hate the bruins and Chara with all my heart too, but even if the hit was 100% intentional which I do believe it was, the league was the one responsible to lay down a punishment and they failed. Big surprise. Now get over it and send these suckers home early!

~Kiss my ass Lucic!!!!

13. punkster says:

Oh look. A troll.
    Let’s ignore him.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

14. secretdragonfly says:

I really wish Don Cherry would do the world a favour and just go away –

• The Cat says:

Cherry is right. Unless Price can duplicate what Halak did in the last playoffs….

• LL says:

Can Halak or any goalie on this planet duplicate what happened last year?

• ZepFan2 says:

I’d much rather he duplicate what Roy did in ’86 and ’93.

What Halak did was great. What Roy did was greater!

————————————————————————
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• A .923 SVP in the playoffs isn’t actually that uncommon. 4 goaltenders were better than that in 2009, 2 in 2008, 4 in 2007, 3 in 2006.

This myth of Halak based on only a few games is getting old and tired. He had 4 fantastic games against Washington, and was average the rest of his 14 playoff games.

• punkster says:

What, too quiet for you on here tonight? Gotta call out the vampires?
          OK, I’m in. I agree Andrew, all the His Holiness Halak talk around here got old last summer. It simply ignores that fact that there were 20-some other players on the ice for that run. Halak was great, not doubt, but the biggest knock I have on him…he didn’t score any goals. Not one. And if Price plays as well this year as Halak last year but doesn’t pot a few I’ll say the same about him.

Bring on the Bs. The team that scores the most goals for 4 wins is the victor and while it helps tremendously to have an elite tender it’s still the team who scores most that posts the “W”.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Indeed, we never get any goal support from the goalies.

• LA Loyalist says:

Saw a little history film on the weekend about Ron Hextall, it was amazing. He had over 100 penalty minutes (not sure if that was year or career) and they showed his goals.

A blast from the past if you get a chance to see it.

• VancouverHab says:

From what the quotations from the interview say, he could be a typical pessimistic commentor or journalist on H-I/O. Teams are fairly matched, but Habs need Price to match Halak-heroics from last year (true), and the loss of Markov & Gorges puts us at a huge relative disadvatage (also true.)

I would add that we’ll have to overcome what may be a fear-factor after the Chara assault, and we’ll really miss MaxPac on the Gomez-Gionta line.

I think we can still win, but Cherry’s remarks are reasonable enough.

• punkster says:

Again, not to quibble, but I doubt there’s a fear factor at play in the players’ heads. That’s media and fan hype. These guys don’t fear to play the game.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• VancouverHab says:

Well — I’m grateful for your confident debunking of the matter. I was (wildly) interpreting the post-MaxPax-hit results.

I am certainly sure that they have every chance!

15. Aaron13 says:

Has anyone heard anything about MAX PAC?

16. DrA says:

The super secret Bruin Bashing sandwich. All we have to do is get Chara and Thomas to eat it! That should be easy, in Boston they eat anything. How else would the fans get so mentally unstable? Wait, maybe that’s Philly?

17. solomio says:

Jeez…listening to you guys makes it sound like Habs don’t stand a chance !!??

18. Habifornia says:

And now for a comedy break:

“WILSON BELIEVES MAPLE LEAFS CLOSE TO BEING A CONTENDER”

Can you believe these guys… he actually says this in the article: “We’re probably two or three pieces from being a true contender,” Wilson said Monday. “I’m talking a contender, not for the playoffs, I’m talking a contender for the Stanley Cup.”

Man, I love how delusional Leafs fan are, but I never knew the coach was also drinking the crazy Koolaid. Nothing better than watching them give excuses every April :~)

As for Boston, I’m calling Habs in 6… if we play our game the way we can, their D stands no chance against our speed.

____________________________________________
    “Mr Gainey, you will not regret picking me”.
    – PK Subban

• solomio says:

Habi…I didn’t read the article just what you have written but what do you feel is so wrong about what the coach has said?Correct if I’m wrong but do not the leafs have 2 first round picks next year? Did their team not play exceptionally well since the All Star game.? Does Reimer not appear to be a very good number one goaltender? Do they not have a core of youthful players coming into their own next year?
      Add 2 or 3 more pieces and why wouldn’t they be contenders?

• gauver says:

The Maple Leafs had a .636 point percentage from February 1 onward; the Detroit Red Wings have a .634 point percentage for the season. I don’t think Wilson is delusional at all.

Don’t forget that ” two or three pieces ” is still a lot. Hell, the Habs are two or three pieces from being a contender.

• Former Jets Fan says:

Every team that isn’t there is three pieces away. Don’t assume I’m sympathetic to the Laff cause, or Ron Wilson in particular, but add
      1) Sidney Crosby
      2) Shea Weber
      3) Carey Price
      …and you have a contender.
      Worst of luck to Brian Burke in finding three suitable replacements.

• Habifornia says:

FormerJetsFan said it best: of course EVERYONE could add 3 pieces (like the examples given above) and become a contender, but it’s almost impossible to do. So Wilson’s very first argument is based on pure fantasy.

As for the argument about how great they played since the break, that doesn’t mean much… hell, ask Jersey what it means to have a good half-a-season. And looking at their roster, there’s too many question marks:

-Will Grabovski (really?) be a first line player on a contender?
        – Reimer? Please, how many rookie goalies come in to the league and get hot, then have to face the real pressure game-in game-out and tank? The list is too long to count. Just look at how long it has taken Price (a million times a better goalie to begin with, I’m sure you’ll agree) to get settled and establish himself. I’ll believe in Reimer in 3 years time, if he’s still around.
        – Besides Kessel, not much there…

If I had my choice, right now, to take either our roster or the Laffs to start a new team, I would take ours without hesitation… I think you would agree!

____________________________________________
        “Mr Gainey, you will not regret picking me”.
        – PK Subban

19. habs001 says:

the problem playing boston is unlike wash and pitts last year there is no real forwards to check…their 4 lines have way better scoring overall than we have…

• Not really, they’ve been riding impossibly high shooting percentages all year in their bottom six as well as Lucic. People like Shawn Thornton are never going to put up numbers in the playoffs like he did in the regular season. Boston is nowhere near the offensive threat that Washington or Pittsburgh was last year.

• Ali says:

difference is Washington and Pittsburgh create offense off the rush, Boston dumps it in and plays the cycle game much more effectively than those two teams which is where their ability to get to the net and cause havoc with our defensive zone coverage comes into play.

Oh Captain my Captain…

• In last year’s playoffs, Washington cycled the puck in our zone better than any team I’ve seen in years.

• Ali says:

respectfully disagree, the only time they cycled effectively and pinned us in our zone was in game 6 and 7 when Boudreau put Chimera in and that line with Steckel dominated us. everything else was Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom coming over the blue line and blasting away, which is why Gill and Gorges shotblocking was such a huge part of the upset

Oh Captain my Captain…

• Not what I remember, but I’m not going to argue based on memory alone.

20. habs001 says:

we badly need one of our forwards between 7-12 to have a big scoring playoffs…we know camm,gion,plecks and even gomez will get points but what a difference it would have been ….yes even vs the flyers if pouliot and ak46 produced…great goaltending and d is great but being the 25th highest scoring team and not improving your scoring in the playoffs will eventually cause you to lose a series…

21. forskis says:

Here is my two cents’ worth of predictions:

If the series lasts only 4 or 5 games, it is because the Bruins win. If it lasts 6 or 7 games, the Habs win. The Habs are not good enough to beat the B’s in 4 or 5…to do so would be an upset or chokejob by the B’s. However, 6 or 7 games means it is just hockey being hockey.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

22. Habitoba says:

It’s the Pepto-Bread Jacques Martin needs to take when Pouliot takes a lazy penalty.

23. Mark C says:

Halpern’s lingering injury and inability to practice with the team has me worried. Halpern is Montreal’s only above average player at taking face-offs (56.9%, if he qualified he’d rank 3rd in the league) however Boston can roll out Bergeron (56.6%) and Peverley (55.9%) who are both very good. Normally, I think face-offs are generally highly overrated by most fans, but the difference here is sizable and could manifest itself in the loss of key face-offs.

Without Halpern, Gionta becomes the only scoring threat with a RH shot, and Halpern has been one of Montreal’s top PK guys. IMO, Montreal will have to use an effective fore-check to beat Boston, this fore-check must be played fast and smart, big hits aren’t important here. Halpern is one of Montreal’s best fore-checkers, and outside of Montreal’s big names he might be the biggest X factor.

• 24 Cups says:

Mark – I mentioned this point last week. I’m not making Halpern into the 2nd coming of the Pocket Rocket, but it will be a real problem if he can’t play.

Chris Kelly is a solid playoff guy. He’ll make mincemeat out of Habs such as Eller, DD and Pyatt. In fact, Boston has a big advantage when it comes to their 4th line. The Bruins excel at 5on5 play so we don’t want to be down a line even before the puck drops.

• Steve, you’re vastly overestimating the effect of Chris Kelly, who’s been a bust so far with the Bruins. I doubt he would out-compete either Eller or Desharnais by much, if at all.

As I said to habs001, a lot of the Bruins are riding unsustainable shooting percentages, it’s not going to hold up in the playoffs. These team’s are remarkably even, in fact in many ways the Canadiens are vastly superior.

• 24 Cups says:

Andrew – What I was trying to say is that without Halpern, guys like Eller and DD will have to fill in the void that is created. That’s where Kelly’s playoff performance might become a concern for us. This guy usually shows up when it counts the most. Those two Habs may not be able to handle the role reversal. I also hope that Moen finds his groove.

BTW, Halak was great in the first two rounds last year. Tons of shots and stellar saves that helped keep the Habs in the games (along with Gill/Gorges and Cammy). It’s not always about stats. He lost the magic in Philly but so did everybody else, including the guys up front who could no longer score the timely goals.

• Halak was certainly amazing, and you’re right that it isn’t all about stats, but if we only count the games he’s good in it’s not very fair is it?

About Halpern, remember that he hasn’t been playing center for a couple months now, so I don’t think it’s quite as big of a deal as it’s being made out to be. Faceoffs will be tough to win but DD has been winning them often enough.

• LA Loyalist says:

Thanks for stats. A bit disconcerting. Face-offs are an opportunity to get possession, which means you don’t have to fight to get it back. Important. We’ve historically had great face-off guys, Saku, Joe Juneau, Muller, the list is LONG. Now… Halpern was a budget Domenic Moore and he’s been pretty good, but time may be catching up to him now. If he can’t go I think you are right, we have a big problem and no depth.

24. filincal says:

Mmmmmm…the Captain’s famous mid-day bubble gum sandwich.

• Ton says:

faceoffs are huge in the playoffs, huge. just to make sure that there centermen can win faceoffs. plets is not bad, gomez is not good at it and finally special teams is huge

25. thebigguy says:

There’s a fair amount of legit complaining about the “french media” here. Just curious how many folk here actually watch, read or listen to it?

• DearyLeary says:

Care to point me to a post complaining about the French media?

• Mattyleg says:

Uh, what ‘legit’ complaining?

I watch, read, and listen to the Francophone media.
      (as opposed to the ‘French Media’, because I don’t think that France has too much interest in the Habs, or the NHL for that matter)

I don’t see any problems with what they do. I don’t agree with all of the reporters, but then again, I don’t agree with all the Anglo reporters either (or Jack Todd, who I don’t consider a reporter).

If you’re talking about some Francophone reporters making trumped-up stories out of nothing, this happens in all Canadian cities. Regardless of the language.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Taramosalata?

27. I think it is some kind of protein type thing that you spread on a piece of bread or cake, for some reason maybe the protein stuff taste real bad but is real good for you?
    I really would like to know…

Habsnation is still standing.

28. Chris79 says:

I remember when M. Brodeur said Brain Gionta can’t be a Captain… I guess he really didn’t know the players he was playin with…

29. 24moreCups says:

I love the play offs, this video got me pumped! haha

30. LL says:

I just ran into an old friend downstairs in the coffe shop, now ex-friend, because he is a Bruins fan who claims Dr. Recchi said it best that Max’s injury was exaggerated, Chara is a Saint and Price still sucks. lol.

Moral of this story: Keep smiling and Bruins’ fans are more irrational than Habs’ fans, if that is even possible. ;)

PS: I forgot to say, he believes Habs have the edge though.

Why is it that when you reply to a person’s post it is placed under the names of other people who have replied (to the original post)?

It takes away from the meaning and flow of what is being said.

32. Chris79 says:

Aww man… Gionta is soo ready to play… Gionta has had enough of this Where to small B***S***…. Listen to the Captain…!!!

33. HabFanSince72 says:

LOL:

“The Leaf playoff train [was] derailed not because of their own ineptitude but because the teams they were chasing didn’t fold.”

• joshua94k says:

I thought it was because:

the schedule ended 10 games earlier
      Reimer didn’t play in the Panthers game in March
      the Sabres were not suppose to improve their game
      Phaneuf was injured for a few games
      Kessel had his mood swings

34. mrhabby says:

mike knuble re-signs with the caps..

35. Andre the Giant says:

The key to beating Thomas will be lots of shots on net, get him moving and flopping, and pot the rebounds.

36. Kristopher7 says:

The thumbs up/thumbs down option should be reimplemented. It was easy to scroll through the comment section when pressed for time, and catch good posts by quality posters that were marked with multiple “green thumbs up”. Now I waste time reading a couple of words, or a phrase, of troll posts before moving on to the next post.

• Maksimir says:

+1 thumbs

• The Cat says:

Yeah well Id like it if people stopped complaining about trolls, CBC, Cherry and TSN ad nauseum… It aint a perfect world.

• ManApart says:

I’m with you Cat. The way people complain about how they’re team doesn’t get enough praise either by “the evil network powers” of Toronto or people they deem trolls (those who don’t agree everything is super awesome in Habs land). Is getting very tiresome. Honestly I find those people act a hell of a lot more trollish than anyone else.

• HabFanSince72 says:

All true.

But, in fairness, you are a troll.

• Rob says:

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• ManApart says:

Glad you are the authority on who is a troll and who isn’t. And what kind of comments constitute a troll.

• Curtis O Habs says:

My fly is down. Does that make me a troll?

• LA Loyalist says:

Just because we didn’t get the rose-tinted glasses in the bottom of the cereal box and just because we don’t think everything that comes out of management’s collective mouth smells like pixie farts and unicorn breath doesn’t make someone a troll.

Some of us remember when a Habs team finishing 6th and it being worrisome that we’re playing Boston Bruins would have been a huge and humiliating disgrace – not an occasion to get out the little cucumber sandwiches and smoked salmon and plan the parade.

Just throwing that out, like chum for the sharks :)

(to Serious, reply button was down) Well thank you. I’m fine with disagreement, perfect example is playing Cary in the last game, I personally wouldn’t have (Bruins rested Thomas), most of us would. I can see both sides of the sandwich.

My only issue is guys who aggressively insult anyone who disagrees with them. You, for example, present cogent, thought out reasoning. I’ve changed my mind on some things after reading your ideas, and other guys, too. But if someone is getting pounded I’ll jump in and stick up for them, not that they need it.

We have a tough 4 days ahead of us until this thing actually starts, it may get a little twitchy around here.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Yes but Loyalist, despite the conflicts some of us have with you, you don’t make long diatribes about how we’re clueless morons with no grasp of hockey and can’t make a rational argument, than mysteriously run off when your points are refuted. ManApart prides himself on being a hockey genius and calling the Habs a complete failure and their fans a group of delusional idiots.

Once upon a time, the Habs could sign everyone who could score a goal to a C-form, or just manipulate the draft because no one in the expansion franchises understood the value of good draft picks. That’s not the case anymore. In competition with 29 other teams for talent, not 5, 11 or 13.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• joshua94k says:

The thing is, outside RDS, what exposure do the Habs get on a national level.

For the fan in New Brunswick or Saskatchewan, they get to hear Mike Milbury’s assessment of the Canadiens or Pierre McGuire’s opinions. There shouldn’t be biased reporting on a national level.
        P.K. Subban starts talking to the Flyers Richards after he gave some stickwork to Kostitsyn and Don Cherry says he is being disrespectful.

All we hear is how the Canadiens lack this or that while the Leafs have so much potential and Burke and Wilson have done a great job while the team has failed to make the play-offs year after year while the Canadiens make the play-offs.

• ManApart says:

Did you ever think, that some of the things commentators say about the Habs, that are not totally positive have some basis? I mean watch AntiChambre and tell me RDS doesn’t critisize the team worse at times.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Difference is when they discuss a lot of other matchups, the analysts don’t seem ready to pop champage and laugh when saying they expect a certain team to lose.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• ZepFan2 says:

No problem. It’s always good to hear constructive criticism.

Now where is the other half? It’s all one-sided. Cherry rips PK for being to cocky, yet at the beginning of the year, praises Khadri for being…wait for it… COCKY!

Naw, there’s no bias. We’re all imagining it.

Edit: For HFS72

Btw, why does the CBC hire losers who all were once burnt by the Habs, as analysts?

————————————————————————
            Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

• HabFanSince72 says:

” Also, what’s with all the ex-bruins being hired by CBC?”

They are hired not as ex-Bruins per se, but as failures reduced to doing TV rather than coaching. Remember that Don Cherry was sacked after 4 years by Boston and after one by the Rockies. His coaching resumé is no better than Michel Therrien’s. Yet the pompous blowhard calls his spot “Coaches Corner” where he trumpets all the times he was right (broken clock twice a day style), glossing over the Himalaya of poor predictions and plain idiocy that is Coaches Corner.

And Milbury’s inability to find a job in pro-hockey is easily understood.

It just happens that failure and ex-Bruin are correlated.

37. TheDagger says:

Just a quick question…. WHAT are those two things behind Gio in that pic? Slices of bread with pink icing? Cake?

38. lenny says:

have 2 tkts for game 1
    Section 310 row ff seats 5 6

anyone interested in exchanging them for any of your second home game seats?
    langlenny@yahoo.com

39. kakey says:

I’d be very careful at the optimism that a Markov or Gorges come back seem to raise in some posters. All injured players, even if they do return as 100% healthy, will take a couple of games to be in “game shape”. It may even unsettle the chemistry established during their absence. Just think of how poorly Plekanec performed the 1st few games when he returned March 24 and how well he plays now. It would be very risky to bring back players and expect them to make an immediate difference in a best of seven series.

40. LA Loyalist says:

Would we should we could we go after Brad Richards this summer?

Or did he not want to come here? His ability to plant himself in the goal crease with an edge is sorely needed here. From him or someone else of that ilk (don’t you love the word “ilk”?)

What do you guys think?

The Minnesota Wild fired coach Todd Richards on Monday after missing the playoffs in each of his two seasons behind the bench.

There’s no word on when Coco Lemaire will be coming back.

Speaking of backs, has Lemaire pulled the knife out of The Flower’s back yet? Just wondering.

42. Old Bald Bird says:

Lions in Winter has a good post which points out that Habs have a much better record against playoff teams that the Prunes.

43. JIMVINNY says:

In what can be classed as “totally insignificant, but still awesome regardless”, Carey Price finishes the season in first place overall for the NHL.com three stars. Good on the kid.

Interestingly, 5 of the top 6, 7 of the top 10, and 17 of the top 30 are goalies. not sure what this means, other than that whoever votes on this stuff must be a goalie him/herself.

From NHL.com

Martin ready to prove critics wrong with long run

And to paraphrase what I’ve been saying since the Washington loss just before the 3 games without a goal:

And Martin will also need to show an ability to adjust, because opposing coaches now have a wealth of material to draw upon in an attempt to find weaknesses in his vaunted system and exploit those discoveries this time around.

45. Say Ash says:

And now, ladies and gentlemen, an excerpt from the Toronto Star:

The Maple Leafs are “two or three” players away from contending for the Stanley Cup, says coach Ron Wilson. “For me the future is pretty bright,” Wilson said Monday, conducting an autopsy on the Leafs season — the team’s sixth in a row outside the playoffs. “We’re probably two or three pieces from being a true contender. I’m talking a contender not for the playoffs, I’m talking a contender for the Stanley Cup. It may come from within. You don’t know.”

46. habs001 says:

well it will be a nerve wrecking 2 weeks….if we beat the bruins i believe we will play pitts/tampa winner as i have this feeling that one of the top two teams will get beaten….most people think it is the sabres that have a chance in the series but for some strange reason i believe the rangers have a very good chance of causing wash problems and even beating them…

47. shiram says:

So this is the calm before the storm.
    4 days of no hockey before the best hockey of the season.
    4 days is way too long for me!

48. habs001 says:

the habs vs bruins show how little stats may mean…if you were given just stats for team A and team B like…. goals for, goals against, goal differential, road record, pp , pk ,and times short handed and had to select the favourite you would have to select the bruins…this is where the intangibles come in…season series, past history and match ups etc..

49. Mark C says:

File under “minor detail now, but some series are changed on these types of factors.”

Boston’s 7th defenseman, Steven Kampfer has injured his knee is looks likely to miss at least two weeks, leaving “Sheriff” Shane Hnidy as Boston’s depth D. Why might this matter? Kampfer might be Boston’s second or third best puck moving defenseman, after Kaberle and maybe Seidenberg. If Montreal is able to impose their speed game and fore-check, Boston’s D could have a difficult time establishing a transition game (one of the keys to slowing Boston down is removing their D-to-D breakout). Also, Hnidy is the type of D that Montreal’s forwards can exploit as he is slow and can over commit physically. If one of Boston’s PMD’s is hurt or Montreal is able to fore check effectively, this element of the match-up could turn to Montreal’s advantage.

• bwoar says:

Great post Mark. When I saw Kampfer was out I thought the very same. I’d put him ahead of Seidenberg slightly as a puck mover. Totally forgot it was Hnidy in reserve, that would bode well if we can get that fore check consistently on pucks.

• Mark C says:

Transitional play will be a huge factor in his series. If my memory serves me right, Philly and Carolina were able to slow down Boston by effectively shutting down Boston’s breakout with a well organized fore-check. Chara, Boychuk, Ference, and McQuaid are players that can be forced into closely mistakes with the puck.

50. habs001 says:

this is a huge series for habs management because if the unthinkable occurs and bruins win in a dominate fashion what do you do next year?…you can say we are missing markov,gorges and maxpac but basically we would return with the same team…i dont say any major free agent signings or trades…no impact players on the farm for next year and while eller and dd should improve next year i dont see a major difference from them till the year after…..

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Final Central Scouting rankings are complete and barring a Conference Finals, Cup Finals Appearance, the Habs will select 17th overall in the draft.

Within range: LW Nicklas Jensen, C Mark McNeill, LW Tomas Jurco

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Mark C says:

I’d be very pleased with any one of those three. With Jensen, Montreal could start cornering the market on Danish players.

• The Juice says:

Notwithstanding another run to the Conference Finals…whereby they would be bumped down to 26th or worse…here’s hoping!

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

52. JD_ says:

* Carey Price will be epic. How do I know? It’s how I roll.

* Heh. The federal party leaders’ French language debate has been moved to Wednesday night, from the previously scheduled Thursday time slot, apparently so that it won’t have to compete with that other television event showin’ a bunch of guys skatin’ around, chirpin’ insults at each other, and desperately tryin’ to score points.

* I love watchin’ pros play hockey under all sorts of guises with perhaps a couple of exceptions: The All-Star Game and the ostensible World Championships. I’m not cynical about the games, I just don’t get into them. The latter, in particular, does nothin’ for my competitive leanin’s cause it’s just, you know, the cream of the crap, the best players from the NHL’s worst teams. It doesn’t help that it takes place while the rest of the NHL is competin’ for the ultimate prize. Nor does it help that some of the league’s best players can’t be bothered to participate while they’d happily give up their left ballsack to compete at the Olympics. “Iggy!”

* Word on the street is there is a full BroonzMeltdown 2011™ underway. I understand the genesis of the implosion was a decision by the team’s alternate physician, Dr. Mark Recchi, PhD, M.D., D.M.D., D.D.M.D., D.M.D.M.D., D.D.D.D.M.D., that led to Milan Lucic havin’ his left ballsack removed in order to up his chances to make Team Canada at Sochi 2014. The Broonz are ripe for the pickin’. You heard it here first.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs need to beat the Bruins in their own house to start the series to own the momentum. If they can take Game 1, it could really unnerve the Bruins who are still mentally fragile from last season. Expose Thomas’s weak points as a flopper and the series is theirs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Expose Thomas’s weak points

I’m not sure targeting the guy with the best save percentage in NHL history is going to work.

• SeriousFan09 says:

He’s a flopper with no technique, if teams would just outwait him more often as he goes into one of his ridiculous attempts to block a puck they’d score on him more often. His save percentage is that high because he flops like a fish and has to cover up his own rebounds so often.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That’s what they said about Hasek.

I don’t know. I’d prefer to face Rask.

• ManApart says:

Oh sure it’s that easy eh? The man just set an NHL record with the greatest save% of all time and it’s not like he hasn’t won the Vezina before. He almost surely will take down his second. Face it Serious, the guy is a top goalie.

• SeriousFan09 says:

If the Habs with their smurfs and weak scoring can beat him, why can’t others? I’ve seen them have a much harder time against other goaltenders.

Thomas is shielded by getting an easy schedule and Chara covering his backside. I have never been impressed by his style which involves flailing wildly at pucks and hoping he keeps them out.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

54. 21BIGGionta says:

aww the wiz looked badass in his cage

55. This will be a great battle of the goalies. Price could really make a name for himself if he outshines Thomas.

56. DearyLeary says:

Looks like Couturier has dropped to 7th on the depth chart as far as prospects go. A big, point producing center, roots in the QMJHL, would you try to put together a package to move up and try to pick him?

• SeriousFan09 says:

His roots aren’t that deep Quebecois-wise, kid was born in Phoenix and was raised in the Maritimes. Too expensive to move up that high in the draft, Habs would have to sacrifice one of their untouchables likely.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• DearyLeary says:

He played in the Q, and if your name even smells french it gets eaten up by the media and fans (see: Benoit Pouliot).

Who do you consider untouchable when it comes to a 7th overall pick. My untouchables are Price, Pacioretty, and PK, just about anyone else is fair game.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I’d agree with that list, but again, A really high pick in the draft isn’t cheap and Couturier’s stock has been falling from consensus #1 to #6 overall. Not that enamored with him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• DearyLeary says:

I’m not sure his stock is falling as much as other players have been gaining on him.

To me a young, big center with skill is worth his weight in gold. I loved his contributions in the WJHC, I always found that his line was the one making things happen, he’s not the kind of guy to wait for the other team to make a mistake.

He plays a strong game, if not overly physical (Joe Thornton style, and if you’re like me, you remember how terrifying Thornton was when he was still a Bruin).

I love what he brings to the table, and I wouldn’t rush him into the NHL, but I could definitely see him making the jump in 1-2 years, about the same time as our core youth group hits their mid 20s. I think it lines up nicely as far as wanting to build the team.

Kind of a ‘what if’ scenario, but I’d be testing the waters after the draft lottery to see how people feel about moving a pick.

• thebigguy says:

Considering what the Bruins (over)paid for an expiring contract, do you think it’s reasonable to assume that Leblanc + 1st would be what’s required? More?

• G-Man says:

Didn’t the Habs just sign a free agent “big center”?

• SeriousFan09 says:

Alain Berger? He’s a LW which is fine with me, we’re terrible for depth at that position in the organization.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

57. habs001 says:

we can hope but you cannot expect that camm and gion will score at the pace they scored last year in the first 2 rounds…we still need our top forwards to match and beat their top forwards in scoring…the key will also be that our single digit scorers produce more …..the bruins have 12 forwards with double digit goals we have 7 forwards with double digit goals and that includes halpern and pouliot…maxpax would have been our 8th…

58. CalgaryHabsFan says:

Off topic but BGL is appalled people are more interested in the Habs and bruins than hearing from the leader of the green party.

That guy is like a bad case of herpes he just wont go away.

___________

Never date a Bruins fan even if she shaves her moustache!

• joeybarrie says:

Maybe George Laraque and this MAY lady should go back and try to figure out exactly how much of our tax money is being wasted on 6 elections every 4 years…
      When the elections happen more often than the Olympics, World Cup, and Stanley Cup you clearly have a problem. MAYBE if we kept to one person for the entire term people wouldn’t be so quick to be bored with it.
      Hockey 1 – Democracy 0……. What a load of crap. Stop wasting tax payers money with constant elections and then come and talk to me. EVERYONE IN CANADA SHOULD BOYCOTT THE ELECTION and then maybe they would wake up and stop wasting our money.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Chips says:

At least the Greens want to stop wasting our money on Marijuana prohibition, which would save us enough money to have elections every year easy!!! I wish other parties would at least just talk about it! Build more prisons instead I guess :(

25 in 2011

• thebigguy says:

Just as an aside, and I’m a bit biased, but how do elections really waste our money, if anything they’re like little stimulus packages

Think of all the money that was sitting in some union guy or corporate exec’s bank account. He or she donates it to the NDP or the Libs or what have you. That money is then immediately spent and recirculated into the economy. These constat elections must be what’s keeping our economy trucking along.

• sane hockey fan says:

I don’t want to get into politics on a hockey website, but your comment is wayyyy off the mark.

First of all Elizabeth May and the Green party have no seats in the HOC therefore have absolutely no impact on the non-confidence vote that took down the Harper government and forced the calling of an election.

Second, we have had 3 elections since 2001, this will be our 4th. Also, there is no term limit for the Prime Minister, so that comment makes no sense.

Third, campaign money is private money that is raised by the parties. The cost of an election is probably in the hundreds of millions, however this pales in comparison to the billions of dollars the PM wants to waste on F-35 jets that we don’t need, among other things.

This government has shown that it will do whatever it takes to get what it wants regardless of ethics or legality. It is the first government in Canadian history to be held in contempt of Parliament.

Finally, regardless of your political point of view, a boycott of election is at the least irresponsible. If anything, we need to get Canadians to be MORE politically involved. The more involved Canadian citizens are, the more pressure it puts on the government to act responsibly and ethically.

Maybe if we spent more time studying politics rather than box scores, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

• HabFanSince72 says:

EVERYONE IN CANADA SHOULD BOYCOTT THE ELECTION

yeah, people in the middle east are risking their lives to get the vote and you think we should boycott the election.

Someone told you the elections were expensive but in the greater scheme of things they aren’t. We’re talking $10 per person. That’s lunch at Starbucks.

• Keith says:

Habs hockey is FAR more important than some stupid, meaningless debates, and a meaningless election, by a bunch of egomaniacs that are Hell-bent on running our great country into the ground. They should just go away.

• Stormblade says:

I love the Habs, but comparing the importance of a playoff series to an election is irresponsible. There are people in the world dying to have the rights you brush off so easily. If we all boycotted the election, we would have a dictatorship. Even if the process stinks, it’s better than the alternative.

It is easy to lose a democracy and much, much harder to get it back.

That being said, Go HABS!!

• canadiens26 says:

So you’re saying Harper and his thugs are not basically running a dictatorship right now?

• wild flower says:

No, I think he is saying that if you believe your statement, you should pay attention to the debates so that you can pick a better aternative to Harper.

• VancouverHab says:

They “basically” are running….you know, AN ELECTION “right now.”

Sigh.

• Say Ash says:

The fact that they’re surprised and angry with the move indicates just how out of touch they are with voters.

• thebigguy says:

Aren’t you misrepresenting what the article says just a tad? It is somewhat absurd that Ms. May was blocked from the debates with the stated reason of “the schedule and time frame is set and we can’t make changes to the format this late in the game” and then they turn around and make changes to the format this late in the game.

That’s a fairly reasonable position, wouldn’t you say?

• jakobsbror says:

i think the article is missing the point… the Green Party’s leader is not appalled that they reschedule the debate, but that it’s easier to re-schedule the event than to include her in it!

59. iceberg64 says:

Markov and Gorges are out until next year..6 months minimum for an ACL and i don’t think Markov will take a chance and come back early after second operation on same knee…Gorges got operated in late January 6 weeks after Markov so thats why he’s not on skates
    Max-Pac could be back for round 2 but why risk it and potentialy derail a long career as a power forward. He is the one we will miss the most
    Win the first one in Boston and panic will set in with the Bruins
    Habs in six

• Hobie Hansen says:

We know the dates and estimated time on the shelf for everyone.

Just wait and see, there just “might” be a surprise or two before Thursday.

Markov has been skating in full equipment for a month now and I personally think he and the team are considering rolling the dice.

Just a hunch and an opinion.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I don’t think we will see Markov, but when reading your post, an idea popped into my head.

We all read the rumour that the Habs had offered a 1 yr deal, and Markov wanted 3, and nothing has happeneded since.

Well if there is any truth to the rumour, the Habs could say F it, dress him for the playoffs, if he makes it through uninjured resign him, if he blows his knee for a 4th time, he can walk, and we’ll use the money to keep the Wiz.

I’m actually excited over my idea now, lol

60. Mattyleg says:

Hey all, been a while, so I’m a bit out of the loop.

What’s up with Hal Gill? He okay?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. HalifaxHabs says:

I love that Bruin fans think this series will be a cake walk for them… I hope their players feel the same way.

Winning this series would almost be Stanley Cup-ish for me after everything we’ve gone through with Boston this year.

• Chuck says:

Guaranteed that if the Bruins lose, Recchi will say something idiotic to try to ‘deflect criticism from the rest of the team’.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Here’s something Dr Recchi could say

“Hi everyone, yes I know I look ridiculous with my balding head, and all those little pubic hairs sticking out of it. But now that I forgotten that I ever played for anyone else besides the Bruins, I like looking and sounding as stupid as possible”

just a suggestion

• Mark C says:

He’s already playing “the win one for the Gipper” card, saying I’d retire if Boston wins the Cup.

• TINMAN17 says:

Every Bruins fan I know, and I know plenty, are saying they can’t wait to beat the sh!t out of the habs, like when they mopped the floor with us in the 8-6 loss. I think and I’m pretty sure I’m right that they are terrified, just crapped in their pants terrified. Most hockey fans know that that type of game is almost never seen in a playoff game let alone for a whole series, so I chock it up to having to boast about anything they can find, which isn’t much considering the history. One astute friend of mine, who is a die-hard B’s fan admits this is the worst match-up, from the B’s standpoint, because he thinks aside from the 7-0 loss the habs have Thomas’ number. I couldn’t agree more. Besides we’re much better this season against play-off teams than they are. Habs in 5, crushed on their own ice. Delicious.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

62. Hobie Hansen says:

I like our chances boys! I’d like them even more if Pacioretty or Markov shocked everyone and dressed at some point during the series, hopefully game one.
    After seeing them both skate in full equipment, I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed that the Habs have a trick up their sleeve and will give everyone a pleasant surprise by announcing something on one or both of these guys on Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

Without Markov or Pacioretty I still think we have a good shot! We obviously know that the Bruins have the advantage in the physical department but they have to catch us first!

I think our offence is just as good as theirs. Our player’s stats may not be as pretty as theirs but the playoffs are the beginning of a new season, as we all know. Our offence, defense and goaltending are just the same if not better.
    They might land a few extra hits than us and have the advantage in a fight but that won’t be a huge factor!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

63. byrneoNL says:

Good to see Markov is skating .. and Patches too.. but what about Gorges? I’ve read several stories lately about Markov skating but there’s never been anything on Gorges. Can he walk? Is he on schedule? Were there complications?
    *edited for spelling!*

• HalifaxHabs says:

There is no one named Jorges who lays for the Habs.

Sorry, just havin fun with ya.

Gorges hasn’t progressed to the point that Markov has, but I haven’t heard anything to indicate he is behind schedule.

• Mark C says:

Gorges had his surgery about two and a half months after Markov did. I’m sure we’re still weeks and maybe month(s) away from Josh skating again. Haven’t seen any reports about any setbacks, just too early for him to begin skating again.

64. Laramy87 says:

My prediction is habs in 6.
    We take game 1 in boston, lose game 2, take 3 and 4 in montreal, lose game 5 and take game 6 back at home and it will sweet to sing na na na na na goodbye to the bruins and that prick chara

65. Say Ash says:

Ha! Jerome Iginla says no to the world championships:

“It’s an honour to be invited. But with the kids and the family, I politely declined. I would like to stay and be home with them. We’re about to work on potty training.”

• avatar_58 says:

Never understood these “world” championships anyway. What happens when you win? Yay I beat a bunch of teams stitched together? If it’s not the “best of the best” then what’s the point?

I mean is anyone going to watch this? I’m not.

66. habsindepth says:

Exciting! Haven’t made up my mind about who I logically think should win but my heart is always, without any questions, with the Habs.

GO HABS GO

Please take a quick moment to vote on our poll as to who you think will win this series: http://bit.ly/f8CAja
    Also, throw in a comment!

===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

I find it interesting that teams like Chicago, New York, Dallas and Carolina all choked when they had to win the big game that would get them into the playoffs. Chicago and New York eventually made it, but it was similar to Montreal’s situation last year when they stumbled in the back door due to circumstance.

I think the Habs did well this year by getting 96 points, especially seeing that Markov and Gomez didn’t play for most of the regular season:-)

The only series that seem to have heavy favourites might be the Caps and the Canucks. Otherwise, they are all up for grabs. It’s one of the great benefits of league parity. A split in Beantown and……

I had to laugh at some of the comments from yesterday when a few posters questioned whether or not Price had proven himself enough to be ready to stand up and be counted in this year’s playoffs. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is ready to excel. You can talk all you want about Subban, Pleks and a healthy Markov, but it’s Carey Price who is now the face of the franchise. All possibilities emanate from our new found saviour.

“Like a rock. standin’ arrow straight
    Like a rock, chargin’ from the gate
    Like a rock, carryin’ the weight
    Like a rock”
    (Bob Seger)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Is choked the correct word? They lost games against teams that were also trying to win.

Choked really should be reserved for the Bruins in the 2010 playoffs, and the like.

• JD_ says:

For some, the Yeah, But Syndrome™ is a useful tool when facin’ the unknown, 24C; like a well-honed defence mechanism. Why venture stickin’ your neck out on a call when you can just hedge your bets and, while you’ll never win anythin’, you’ll also never be quote-unquote wrong.

Not the way I approach things, but I understand the mentality; it’s a zero-risk, zero-return thing.

More importantly, what does the Chevy® pick-up truck theme song have to do with Carey Price?

• 24 Cups says:

JD – Seger is droppin’ by Toronto for a concert tomorrow night so I guess his songs were playin’ in my head. Carrying the weight makes me think of Carey. Not to mention The Band and The Beatles.

Journey and Foreigner are booked in for August 9th. I’m sure that laff fans will be rockin’ to the chorus of “Don’t Stop Believin'”

• JD_ says:

I was just knockin’ Bob for sellin’ out to The Man, 24C. I forgive him, though, cause he ended up makin’ out like a bandit.

Think Loaf fans are also big on Journey’s “After All These (44) Years (And Countin’)”.

“Boy, you’re gonna Carey that weight,
          Carey that weight a long time.
          Boy, you’re gonna Carey that weight,
          Carey that weight a long time.”

• punkster says:

You guys need to get hip. Tower’s got the trip. So get hip to the trip.

The Bruins are cooked. Habs are all up in their heads and Tower of Power said it best in their hit “Funk the Dumb Stuff”.

You think you’re cold, to cold to behold
            But the truth be told you’re about to fold
            Funk the dumb stuff (Funk the dumb stuff)
            You think you’re hot, to hot to stop
            But what you got, it’s about to flop
            Funk the dumb stuff (Funk the dumb stuff)
            You think you’re bad, but aint it sad
            Realistically you can be had
            Funk the dumb stuff (Funk the dumb stuff)
            You think you’re good, as good as gold
            But you’re jive trip be getting old
            Funk the dumb stuff (Funk the dumb stuff)
            If you funk with me, I’ll funk with you
            If you funk with me, I’ll funk with you
            If you funk with me, I’ll funk you too!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• LL says:

P-Ster = Hip Mutha…..lol

• G-Man says:

That reservation about Price will hold up in many people’s minds until he is as dominant in the playoffs as he has been during this last regular season. He will need plenty of help from all quarters to succeed. The Habs have the parts as long as no more of them get injured. The cupboard is bare right now.
      Still- Habs in 6 due to the Bruins usual choke through the playoffs.

• The Juice says:

“That reservation about Price will hold up in many people’s minds until he is as dominant in the playoffs as he has been during this last regular season”

Game 7 Shutout against these same Bruins a few years ago doesn’t count??

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

68. lenny says:

have 2 tkts for game 1
    Section 310 row ff seats 5 6

Are you interested in exchanging them for any of your second home game seats?
    langlenny@yahoo.com

69. habs-hampton says:

Umm… if we don’t win one in their barn, we have NO shot.
    But, I know what you mean, we gotta get a split this week, or it’s gonna be real tough.

(This was supposed to be a reply to Kooch, but the new HIO format sucks.)

• Kooch7800 says:

We will win one in their barn I am pretty confident. As long as we show up to play Boston will have trouble with the habs.

Price is the key in this series (big surprise). Also, Cammy and Gio to light the lamp like crazy.

Think about it they beat out Boston how fantastic that would be. I would have to have a few (if not more) beers to celebrate

70. Kooch7800 says:

Man I really hope we beat Boston. Win one in their barn and we have a good shot. GO HABS GO!!!!!!