Three members of Canadiens headed to NHL All-Star Game

1221 spt nhl Canadiens

STU COWAN

Three members of the Canadiens will be headed to the NHL All-Star Game at the end of this month in Los Angeles.

The NHL announced on Tuesday that defenceman Shea Weber and coach Michel Therrien will join goalie Carey Price for the all-star festivities at the Staples Center Jan. 28-29.

Price was named the Atlantic Division captain last week and will be taking part in his fifth All-Star Game, while Weber will be making his sixth appearance in the midseason showcase. Weber has won the all-star hardest-shot competition each of the last two years during the skills competition.

Therrien becomes the first Canadiens coach named to the All-Star Game since Guy Carbonneau in 2009. Therrien’s team leads the Atlantic Division with a 25-10-6 record.

Weber ranks fifth among NHL defencemen in scoring this season with 10-16-26 totals and is plus-16 while averaging a team-leading 25:56 of ice time. Price has a 20-6-4 record with a 2.12 goals-against average and a .928 save percentage.

The four division captains were voted on by fans with Price (Atlantic Division), Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby (Metropolitan Division), Nashville’s P.K. Subban (Central Division) and Edmonton’s Connor McDavid (Pacific Division) the winners. The other 40 players headed to the All-Star Game were selected by the NHL. Therrien will coach the Atlantic Division team.

The skills competition will be held on Saturday, Jan. 28 (9 p.m., SN, NBC, TVA Sports) and the three-on-three All-Star Game tournament will be played on Sunday, Jan. 29 (3:30 p.m., SN, NBC, TVA Sports).

Canadiens cancel practice

The Canadiens cancelled a scheduled practice for 11 a.m. Tuesday in Brossard following Monday night’s 4-1 loss to the Washington Capitals at the Bell Centre. There was also no media availability Tuesday. Monday night marked the start of a 13-day stretch during which the Canadiens will play eight games.

The Canadiens headed to Winnipeg Tuesday, where they will face the Jets Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., SN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Canadiens will then visit the Minnesota Wild on Thursday night (8 p.m., SNE, RDS, TSN Radio 690) before returning home to face the New York Rangers Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

The six players on the Canadiens’ injured list did not make the trip to Winnipeg and won’t play on the two-game road trip. The six are David Desharnais (knee), Alex Galchenyuk (knee), Andrei Markov (groin), Brendan Gallagher (hand), Andrew Shaw (concussion) and Greg Pateryn (ankle).

(Photo: John Mahoney/Montreal Gazette)

• NHL All-Star Game rosters revealed, NHL.com

• Max Pacioretty overlooked for All-Star Game, The Canadian Press

• Habs fans shouldn’t worry too much about Price’s mini slump, by Stu Cowan

• Capitals’ Ovechkin ties Maurice Richard in goals in win over Habs, by Pat Hickey

• Capitals’ Ovechkin transforms his game under coach Trotz, by Stu Cowan

• Petry takes blame for Capitals’ winning goal, by Pat Hickey

• Weber, Emelin become dynamic duo for Canadiens, by Stu Cowan

1. bwoar says:

New thread yo!

2. joeybarrie says:

@Luke.
    I only have one thing to say…. Jamón ibérico….. You will never be the same. ENJOY.

3. CJinBK says:

Columbus threw out McElhinney and called up 24-year-old Anton Forsberg, who, with his loss against the Hurricanes last night is now 1-8-0 in his NHL career. Just saying.

4. Luke says:

Why is everyone (AND I MEAN, EVERYONE!) telling me that:

1) Madrid is boring.
    OR
    2) Madrid SUCKS?

Alright, HIO… Bring me some “Madrid for 2 days (Sat/Sun) in March” info!

• DipsyDoodler says:

On the assumption that this is Madrid, Spain, and not Madrid, Iowa, it is one of the world’s great cities to visit. I love Madrid. People are friendly, and there’s lots to see.

The best sight for me is the Prado. Bit of a cliché I guess, but the Goya works from his entire life are incredible, especially the bizarre black paintings.

And given what is coming to the world, you should see “Guernica” which is nearby.

Food wise, you will undoubtedly enjoy the many great pork products. IIRC, there is a place in Plaza Santa Ana that serves up shrimp in garlic and olive oil. I’d have that and a glass of Spanish white.

Are you only going to Madrid or elsewhere in Spain too?

• Luke says:

Ya, It ain’t Iowa.

It’s a quick 4 day run from Valencia – La Mancha – Madrid. Mostly business, so we are “hosted” for most of it, but we wrap up in the LM region, free and clear for a day or two in LM or Madrid and head home from there.

My primary goal is to eat all of their seafood and drink all of their Albariño, but a brief pause to check out the art may be necessary. (They do takeout right?)

Thanks for the suggestions. Consider them logged.

• johnnylarue says:

(You’re a bit far from the water so I’d definitely suggest you focus on the pork/ham angle rather than the seafood. Which isn’t to say the seafood there is terrible, it’s just not Barcelonesque.)

• Luke says:

I live in Ontario, LaRue.

I can handle a “6 hours to the Ocean” lack of freshness.
            I have to live with “It came from Mexico in Truck in but’s still Fresh”

(But, I understand what you mean… nothing beats eating seafood while watching the boats that deliver it dock in port).

• DipsyDoodler says:

Another fun thing to do is to catch an evening soccer game. Hard to get tickets to see Real Madrid, but the “second” team, Atletico, is also really good these days.

• Luke says:

I checked actually, its a World Cup qualifier/International kind of thing while I’m over there. So no Club soccer and the Nat’l team is playing France in Paris (I think).

• DipsyDoodler says:

As to why people are dissing Madrid, two possibilities:

1. You really did mean Madrid, Iowa

2. Those people are all Catalans and Basques.

• Mattyleg says:

I would never do that, Luke.

Suggest it, maybe. Insinuate it, perhaps; insist upon it, probably; browbeat you about it, certainly; tell you, definitely, but one thing I would NEVER do is pay a lot for this muffl…

..what was the question again?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• johnnylarue says:

Madrid is not boring, and Madrid doesn’t suck. You’ll have a blast! (In fact, I’ve arguably had more fun there than in Barcelona…)

• kerrgte says:

Stunning architecture everywhere that confirms NA architects have zero artistic abilities whatsoever. Old world inefficiencies I suppose that are certainly more humanistic than our mindless boxes.

Every time you turn a corner, there will be another postcard in front of you.

Fabulous food no matter where you go. Wonderful wines. A wonderful climate.

When you return to NA, you’ll feel you’re in a holding pattern until you can visit again.

5. Mattyleg says:

Hi Gang!

Just started two weeks of paternity leave, so I will have a bit more time to check in and say hello now!

Excited??

Yeah, yeah, don’t all cheer at once… 😉

Glad with the way the team has “battled through adversity” and “taken it one game at a time” through this crazy bout of injuries. I’m glad it’s happening now (if it has to happen at all) rather than in March/April.

Heard the other day on the radio that Washington have lost 10 man-games due to injury, 7 of which have been TJ Oshie. We’re somewhere north of 40, if I remember correctly.

Glad with the way the youth have embraced their roles, and how Therrien has embraced them (easy now…), especially putting Scherbak on the PP.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Looks like next season will be alternate jersey free, likely just the one year though.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m cool with that, actually.
      I’m not big on gimmicks, and I don’t get the point of a 3rd jersey, outside of the $$$ that more jerseys bring in to the NHL.

Good to see you, Burl! Happy 2017! Hope you’re doing well.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

I’d like to see a swap, just for a year, back to the whites at home/darks on the road.

7. UKRAINIANhab says:

Trading vets such as Plekanec (Markov rumours in previous years) is not wise. These are guys that have played with the habs for eternity and may not seem like the leadership type but definitely have an effect on the room. Trading Plekanec for Hanzal doesn’t accomplish anything. Sometimes It’s better to just let players play through there slumps. We aren’t trading Plekanec for Tavares.

I’ve always said as long as MT is the coach Plekanec is going no where. He’s basically his dream player. (Not named David 😉 ). But I could be wrong.

8. bwoar says:

No point in commenting on politics, ain’t gonna change anyone’s mind here. Especially the closed-minded, carp-headed, irrevocably stupid flatworms who voted for …

I dunno why y’all had to go and mess up a perfectly good Goat Thread, but I hope some gameday bidnazz gets posted here soon.

9. HNS says:

Price is turning out to be a hot house flower.

• cbhabsfan says:

What does that mean?

EDIT: I think I see where you’re coming from now, at least according to your most recent post:

“Bottom line, Price is not worth the money they are paying him.”

That’s your opinion. But it ain’t mine…

• joeybarrie says:

.928 sv percentage
      the 5th least amount of goals against in the league
      8 losses in his last 42 games.

That’s a pretty ridiculous comment, and probably completely backwards. If you think the best goaltender in the league in the last 4 seasons isnt worth 6.5 million, then I dont know how to help you…

• bwoar says:

It might be interesting to see how you actually back that up. Probably you won’t, but, it might be interesting. Certainly a bold thesis.

Maybe we should trade him for picks to the Vegas Golden Showe… uh Knights?

• DipsyDoodler says:

I thought you said no politics!

• bwoar says:

Playing on the edge, not crossing it. Resisting the urge to start a serious row. Honestly I don’t know who I’m more cheesed at, a poster I loathe, or the brick-thick dunderheads that force me to want to take that person’s side politically. It’s killing me that he’s on the right side of an argument because I absolutely hate his take on everything else. Though to be fair, he is yet to weigh in on goats.

So I’m just gonna keep my powder dry and hope a new thread starts up soon.

10. B says:

Bitten makes the OHL’s top 5 plays of the week:

–Go Habs Go!–

• cbhabsfan says:

A future Hab, and a good one, too.

I feel as confident of his chances of carving out a nice NHL career for himself as I do about just about any prospect in the Canadiens’ system, including a couple of first-round picks.

I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him play in the WJC next year.

• veryhabby says:

hope so. worry about his size tho. But he can skate like the wind. If he can add strength in the next few years, I hope he gets an opportunity

11. DipsyDoodler says:

Makes no sense to trade Plekanec. We want to go for the cup this year. Plekanec will only get you a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline.

Even in his depleted state, Tomas can still shut down Crosby or Ovie better than anyone else on our team.

• PK says:

This^

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• cbhabsfan says:

I think he could get you someting decent on an expiring contract that could help the team.

Depending on the team and the player, I think there are deals to be made with a team that would rather have a full-time centre next season, even at $6M, than the player they know for sure is going to walk away for nothing at the end of the season.

• POPS says:

Plekanec, Redmond, and Andrighetto

FOR

Spezza and Oduya

Duya or Don’t ya?

• vegas says:

how about Pleks for Hanzal. Saves us 2.5 on the cap this year which can be used in another deal and 6 next year

then come this summer you decide what you want to do with Hanzal, either you make him an offer or use that cap space to try to sign Shipachev

could be interesting

12. Hobie says:

Therrien headed to the All-Star game and is in the conversation for Coach of the Year! Price has been sub-par the past month but the Habs kept on winning.

The Weber for Subban deal is making Bergevin look like a genius.

Shaw over Eller, brilliant.

Anyone heard from from Semin or what’s that guy’s name again, oh ya, Sekac? Shouldn’t they be flourishing under another coach in the NHL somewhere?

How about McCarron starting to find his way in the NHL and those two nice prospects in Juulson and Sergachev?

Paciorretty is 7th in the league in goals and climbing fast.

Wasn’t Danault supposed to suck because Bergevin was happy to acquire him last year?

I could go on and on…

It seems that some of the expert posters around here have a lot to learn? 90% of what people were ranting about around here after we lost out #1 goaltender last year turned out to be completely wrong?

What a great team, coaching staff and management.

Sorry for being positive but Go Habs Go!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

– I wouldn’t go that far yet on Subban Weber. It was always going to be an instant win for the Habs (IMO). Long term we will see. But yes Habs are winning the trade big right now.

– Shaw is definitely an upgrade.

– Pacioretty is one of the most under rated players in the league.

• habsr4ever says:

Actually nope. Everyone thought the trade was a win NOW for the preds cuz Weber is already to slow and old and had a bad playoffs. PK has speed and is more a fit for today’s game. We lost that trade instantly. For people to now say oh let’s see LONG term are just fooling themselves and still trying to find a way out cuz Shea’s contract is so long.
        PK has a $9 M cap hit for 6 more years. PK has a BAD back and has missed a month already and counting. This year was a LAND slide win for the habs even before the injury. So now PK has a bad back / herniated disk. You want that for $9 M per season for 6 more yet?
        I wish people would stop REACHING for ways to rip Bergy for this trade and say he lost it. As soon as Weber has a down turn they will say oh what a bad trade. Fact is PK was a HUGE in the room. No matter what happens now – we win as we got rid of this player who wanted to play for himself more than the team. This trade has helped our team now and in the future as we got rid of the issue and enormous cap hit. There are reasons why Shea was a top pairing dman on team Canada AND PK did not even make the roster/team. PK is a talented dman but he HAD to go. Bergy wins the trade hands down….just my two cents.

• Loop_G says:

Not everyone thought that. Many people felt at the time that the habs won the first few years, and that the end of the deal favored the Preds. Now it depends on how Subban’s spine turns out, but we’ll see

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Reaching is saying PK was going to get hurt if he played here. He was never injured until Emelin stupidly hit him last season. Concluding that a team “won” a trade based on an injury on another team is illogical. GMs don’t make trades to beat another GMs. Actually, GMs don’t want to trade with other GMs who want to screw them. They make them to bring elements to their team they need. So a “win” is if the player received is doing what the team wanted them to do regardless (good or bad) of what the traded player is doing elsewhere.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I was going to make a joke and ask “and what about Mario Roberge’s post-Habs career”.

So I googled him and he’s enjoying the typical NHL enforcer’s retirement: “DWI, drug possession, probation violation, etc …”

• New says:

I’d say 90% completely wrong is conservative. Condon as the cause of all wrong in the world? Subban the only good thing about the team?

The Habs have done very well this winter so far. Last season they collapsed and sank before climbing to just about .500 after the trade deadline and injury to Subban.

Every season under Therrien they have started strong and finished weakly so last season’s collapse doomed them. The team gives away the slot – man I wish the Habs had shooting opportunities every game like that.

We will see what time will bring but one thing is pretty sure: none of the folks here successfully bets the ponies 🙂

For giggles and chuckles: 12 of Max’s 19 goals came in the month after DD got injured.

Trends and patterns.

• veryhabby says:

Hobie….I don’t agree with your “great”. not the correct word. I would say good…but not great…

MB has made great moves, yes….and some bad ones. So I guess I would say he is good.

MT’s team is winning with all these injuries so that is great…but man was he horrible last year when he couldn’t coach them thru injuries. Makes him good I guess

The team went from 9th worse to top in division. That’s great. But we know the holes on this team. We lack at least another top 6 winger (consistant 20-25 g guy) plus with Pleks play we also now need a 2C. We also can not have an injury to our top 4 D core, without having to play a AHLer who may never be a NHL regular? Is Redmond that bad. And Barbs is nothing to write home about either. So are they are great team with so many holes? Nope, but they are good.

I think the word is good.

• toneez says:

Great team yes gotta love the Habs , management OK I’ll buy into that , coaching ? That’s the sticking point aside from Captain Kirk …

All Habs all the Time

• habsr4ever says:

good post Hobie. U R so right.

• HouleLovesYou says:

I agree with most of your comments Hobie. My concern at the moment is Price. I know the stats are there, but the stats treat all GA the same, there’s no metrics for “a softie” or “he had no chance.” It seems to me that he is making fewer of the saves that he used to make routinely that other goaltenders could never make, putting more pressure on our offense and especially the PP to help the cause. He’s not giving up bad goals (or very rarely) – he doesn’t seem to be stopping the types of opportunities he did last season.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“The Weber for Subban deal is making Bergevin look like a genius.”

How? The trade wasn’t his idea.

13. cbhabsfan says:

Plekanec isn’t on the ice for practice and Flynn is in his spot between Lehkonen and Byron.

Wonder what’s ‘s up with that. I don’t think he was injured against the Caps.

14. UKRAINIANhab says:

Allegedly, a top d man and a first for Landeskog (spelling?). Depends on what the definition of a top d man is…

• Dust says:

I hear that. I would do Beaulieu and a 1st for Landy any day. Beaulieu probably wouldn’t be considered a top dman though

• cbhabsfan says:

The more I read about Colorado’s troubles, the more I think the price will be much more reasonable if both Landeskog and Duschene are still on the roster come summertime.

It seems the pricetag on a quality young player with a reasonable contract and decent term is always ridiculously high in-season.

But is does look like the Avalance are growing increasingly tired of waiting on this roster, so something could happen around the trade deadline. But I don’t think what we’d be asked to give up right now would be worth making the deal.

15. DipsyDoodler says:

I was thinking that there’s the equivalent of a beer snob in hockey.

You know the beer snob. Not content with enjoying craft beers, he (always a male) looks down on people who drink any of the bigger brands. Not only Miller Lite, but if you drink Heineken or Corona, God help you.

I know because I was sort of one once. Beer snobbery makes no sense: if you enjoy the taste of Coors Light, if the cold liquid hitting your taste buds tweaks your dopamine neurons, there’s really nothing anyone else can argue about.

It isn’t like liking U2 or Phil Collins!

Strikes me that the folks over at EOTP, and a few here, are like that. If you’re a fan who just watches for fun, is happy when the team wins, disappointed when they lose, you’re like a Bud Light drinker to a beer snob. Don’t you get it, they think? Sure we’re winning but management are idiots, the coach sucks, the team is awful etc…

Who’s wrong here?

16. Arnou Ruelle says:

Its the second half of this regular season. So, le Canadiens de Montréal have a 25-10-6 record. The team is now 56 points and is 1st in the Atlantic Division. They will need 46 points to get to the playoffs.

What will happen from here till playoffs starts?

Did I hear correctly, Galchenyuk and Markov did not make trip to Winnipeg?

Edit: Appears I did, too bad.

Canadiens Montréal ✔ @CanadiensMTL
    All players travel today, except for the injured ones (D. Desharnais, A. Galchenyuk, B. Gallagher, A. Markov, G. Pateryn, A. Shaw).
    11:25 AM – 10 Jan 2017

• ebk says:

my best uninformed guess is that all three(Galchenyuk, Markov and Shaw) will play Saturday night.

They need Markov back badly, that Barberio, Johnston pairing scares the crap out of me every time either of those two are on the ice.

• Un Canadien errant says:

They haven’t yet gone through a full practice in a non non-contact jersey.

18. Un Canadien errant says:

12. Then there’s Montreal. You have to include the Canadiens, because “Marc Bergevin is in everything.”

Kind of detracts from the trope that our GM isn’t improving our team, isn’t ‘shaking the tree hard enough’.

14. A few more notes on Montreal: Had a funny conversation last week with Michael McCarron. Asked him about being a target, which has happened to him at prospect tournaments and in the AHL, because of his first-round pedigree and his size. He says he’s learned to handle it, because “I don’t say as much as I used to.” You’re a big talker? “Yes, but not as much now.” What happened? “Last year, we had a game against Binghamton and I said a little too much to Mark Fraser. He crushed me in the corner and said, ‘You better be careful.’ [AHL coach Sylvain Lefebvre] has told me, ‘Who are you more scared of? The dog that barks or the dog that growls?’”

Fraser is a tough guy. So is Matt Martin, and McCarron handled himself well in that situation last Saturday.

So maybe we’re being too harsh on Sylvain Lefebvre, that he’s doing a poor job of developing his charges? He’s keeping his team afloat this year, despite having his roster pillaged by the parent club, and injuries.

16. Carey Price, asked about some outbursts we’ve seen from him this season: “I just have high standards for myself,” he shrugged.

I guess Stu Cowan is trying to point us in the same direction: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/canadiens-fans-shouldnt-worry-about-carey-prices-mini-slump

———————————————————————–
    ¡Viva Frontenac siempre y para siempre!

19. Un Canadien errant says:

Stu’s been doing some good work lately. I really like his article on Ryan Johnston, learned that he’s a Sudbury boy, as opposed to American, as I assumed.

Love those articles on the young farmhands and prospects who we don’t know as well as the headliners.

———————————————————————–
    ¡Viva Frontenac siempre y para siempre!

20. Luke says:

Good Morning Folks!
    How’s it going?

So, kind of a quick question, of the politics variety, not to fan flames (or quench them) but suppose the President-Elect Opts out (or is DQed/arrested) prior to inauguration what happens?

Does Pence just slot right in as surrogate President-elect and picks a VP of his own or is it a whole new election… or like a 6-12 month star chamber with an election to follow?

I ask only as a Canadian concerned about another 18 months of pre-election coverage.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not an expert, but it’s not like Canada, where the House can lose confidence and it triggers an election. They have that line of succession from President to VP to Speaker of the Senate, etc., all the way down to the Secretary of Agriculture. I believe that’s the premise of that new show with Kiefer Sutherland, a minor player in Cabinet thrust in the top job.

So no, if he couldn’t fulfill the role, we’d get Mike Pence for the rest of his term. Marginally better than Sarah Palin I guess…

• DipsyDoodler says:

Wrong paradigm. The US is a Stan now. If Trump buys the farm, his kids take over.

21. Via TSN1290 Winnipeg

Unless you get goalied by Carey Price, this is a game that can be won, unless they run into penalty problems, the Jets should have a field day with the 2-4th lines.

If there ever was a game, this is it, Habs are very weak outside the top line.

Unknown who is in goal tonight for Mtl.

Shane Actual: My lord did they ever just trash the Habs, I hope Carey is playing. The Oliver crew for the first time since 2007 (Bulldogs vs Moose) is all together to watch our boy, and the Canadiens. Next to impossible to get four seats in the lower bowl together, friend of mine traded me four seats for some Sholi2000 work.

Incredible deal for us but I’m not very confident in a Habs win. Jets are a tough team to play against, and the Habs have shown one certain thing in the past three plus months is that they do not play well when teams come out firing on all cylinders.

Spoke with Stu yesterday to hook up, but it turns out he read the long range forecast and passed on -45°, poor Hickey will be sprinting to the bus to get to the rink.

Looking forward, I have the Habs winning two games from tonight to the 21st. I would absolutely love to be wrong, but since I posted my Price dates back in early December, it’s right on track. Tonight would be a huge bonus win if they can do it.

I don’t see the Jets laying down on this one, over confidence however is always a killer in any sport.

Shane Oliver
    Sholi2000.com
    @sholi2000
    Price vs Dryden
    January 31st, Win 258
    5 Feb, Win 259
    Shane&Son Dec 2016

• habs001 says:

If you lookat the Habs forward lineup right mow based on how many career goals each forward has scored and what is the usual goals the established forwards score a year this is a very weak lineup..If this was another team even the MT haters would say that the coach is doing a great job based on a very week forward lineup…

• Lapointe says:

This is a weak team period and without CP they would be easy prey most nights. Look I want to forget what I watch with the team and jump on board with the hype but I am too old to dismiss logic. With a healthy Price they are in most games but perhaps him at his best can’t wrestle the big prize from the more complete teams. However I still hope that somehow against all logic it happens.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

This Jets squad is oozing with over-confidence, they believe they can beat our Habs. Haha, I like that!! Too bad, their new superstar scorer is concussed. Also, Winnipeg is 4-6 points out of a playoff spot.

They’re a well coached team. But out of that, we have a good team in depth.

22. Duker says:

Politics and religion on a hockey site. Not good. Nobody is changing anyones mind. And the discussion will lead to alot more conflict and adversity than the merits of MT,DD and trade Price. Watching HIS getting attacked for his opinion is as disgusting as the attacks on Obama supporters. Or when a 90% white country lectures us on racial diversity lol

• Ozmodiar says:

i don’t really care what people here have to say on the subject, so just skimmed over the comments. I found this nugget to be rather ironic considering how the writer reacted to someone else’s political opinion. 🙂

… for all the unwarranted BS that Millennials get (that’s me!), we’re on the right side of history when it comes to our open-mindedness, …

• punkster says:

I checked demographics and Canada is 80% white, versus USA at 73%, so not exactly a huge difference.

Also, as for lectures I believe the responses to HIS were relatively (and I stress relatively) tame and civil here compared to the polarizing invective spewed on all media comment sections. It’s the sort of relatively civil conversation we see around this site and a reason why so many of us come back daily.

Yes, some go overboard. I, myself, have serious issues with HIS’s viewpoint but since he and I are linked in other ways we talk out our differences away from the prying eyes of the Commentariat.

In public I try to follow my late mother’s advice…”If you can’t say something nice about someone…zip it”.

“Don’t play what’s there. Play what’s not there.” – MD

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

🙂 –Therrien selected as an all-star Coach –what sweet irony.

Must be a few of the Commentariat whom are imploding within Themselves.

Likely the reason only the Millennials are in The Pit this evening.

• Un Canadien errant says:

They’re all lining up, Arpon Basu, Eric Engels, etc., giving the Head Coach his due for a team that’s clicking, functioning as a unit, and overcoming adversity right now.

HIO will come around in 2050.

Mea culpa: I wanted him gone too, last season, when Tomas and Andrei and Lars and others were going through the motions. I was on the Guy Boucher bandwagon, get ‘im while he’s hot.

Marc Bergevin put his money where his mouth is, performed radical surgery, and for now the prognosis is positive.

I hope that Michael Therrien isn’t going to get too fatigued over the all star break. The grueling 82 game schedule is tough enough. I would much rather he stayed home and used these few days to rest.

• Mavid says:

Bet your pretty bummed..arn’t you..

Weed Wacker -and now Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

• jacquesthemonkey says:

I’m concerned when he coaches back-to-back games. He looks gassed. Maybe Muller should coach the second game.

25. Steven says:

There sure are some bizarre choices for the All-Star Rosters this year.

1) League-leading Columbus only sends two players? How does Jones get the pick over Werenski?

2) Four Blackhawks seems like at least one too many. If we speak only on the merits of this season, it’s hard to understand how Toews made it(Apparently he doesn’t get it either, though I don’t have the article on-hand where he said Panarin/Hossa/Anisimov should be going instead).

3) Fowler over Ekman-Larsson, Smith over Budaj(which is more of a feel-good thing I’d have liked but it’s hard to deny that Budaj’s had a solid year).

4) More of a personal preference on this one, but I would have gone for Pastrnak instead of Marchand if there had to be a Bruins forward on the Atlantic team.

• Dust says:

1)Jones has been CLb’s best Dman this year. While Werenski has more points(In more games played) Jones has been all around the better dman

• Not sure what happened there (Werenski). When you listen to Big JD talk on the radio he mentions Jones and how much he’s apart of the team this season but when he talks about Werenski you can actually feel the saliva dripping as he raves about Zac.

The All Star and their choices was talked about all day on NHL radio. Pretty much all the personalities said that Werenski should be there.

Same thing with Panarin over Toews however that was more a seniority pick.

Shane Oliver
      Sholi2000.com
      @sholi2000
      Price vs Dryden
      January 31st, Win 258
      5 Feb, Win 259
      Shane&Son Dec 2016

• canuckbot says:

Ummmm…it’s a fan voted ballot. If I’ve learned one thing from these forums is that fans don’t know much outside of what they read and hear.

26. PK says:

“Three members of Canadiens headed to NHL All-Star Game”

I was hoping that Pacioretty would have made it to the All-star game as the third member of the Habs triumvirate.

Oh, it is MT. Sure, I guess.

Remember when there was a push to get DD to the All-star weekend, in a John Scott type of way?

Wonder what the final tally was for Monsieur DD.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

27. ProHabs says:

Last year we send John Scott to the All Star Game, this year we send Mike Therrien.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

I’m a dual-citizen. I voted twice for Obama,

This election I decided, loathe him or love him, Trump is what is needed for the now.

I consider Trump a needed enema for constipated leftist liberalism.

Life is ice and fire, yin and yang, idealism and realism.

On a personal level, President Obama is the Guy I would choose to share a beer and call a friend. Trump in no respect would I wish the same.

The World though needs an enema that will address issues a President Clinton would have not.

Some of You feel different. Fine, that’s democracy.

But, I will miss one of the most decent and capable American Presidents of My Lifetime. He had His policy faults, like every previous President, but no one can ever question His decency and humanity.

• Cal says:

So get me get this straight. The world needs a racist, mysogynist and xenophobic enema?
      How anyone can vote for Obama and then turn around and vote for that POS is beyond me. Enjoy the enema. It may last 8 years.

• Lapointe says:

Cal I have never read a post that I agreed with more. HiS I have never read a post that I disagree with more in my life. I respect all political decisions normally by the people but how anyone can think a serial liar and that’s only one of this disgusting man’s traits ) is good for the US or the world is beyond belief.

• Kvothe says:

The saddest thing about Trump being elected is that good people like you were conned into thinking he was the panacea for whatever ails the US.

The truth is that Clinton would have been a good POTUS, and more importantly, a staunch supporter of the liberal world order – as opposed to the illiberal world order backed by thugs like Putin and Erdogan. Way to set human rights back.

And wtf do you even mean by constipated leftist liberalism? You realize it was the right who was roadblocking every single piece of legislation put forward. And that healthcare is not something to be left to the free market to regulate. Or that spending on public goods like education and infrastructure is important.

Moreover, it speaks to how out of touch some older generations are with today’s realities. You would vote for someone who is openly supported by the KKK, anti-semitic groups, and anti-LGBTQ groups. Seriously, it just goes to show how little regard some people have for marginalized groups.

I guess it was worth the increase in hate crimes and hate speech, right? The worst part is that kids growing up will see the President of the US act like petulant, disrespectful child, and see that as okay.

Meanwhile, the one blemish on Clinton’s record are emails. Big effing deal. You’re lying to yourself if you believe that narrative, and all the other fabrications.

If Merkel loses her seat, we’re all screwed. It’s a bleeping travesty that people have problems with liberalism, it’s literally about doing whatever you please as long as you don’t bother others, so it’s ironic that conservatives want to butt into the lives of private individuals who don’t ascribe to a very narrow way of being.

Again, I’m glad you like Obama, for what it’s worth. But the cost of siding with Trump is way greater than what you think, and even this line of thinking, that they need to shake things up, is going to end up hurting a lot of people.

The issues faced by women, LGBTQ people, racial and religious minorities, and other vulnerable groups, are very real. Trump does not give a crap about them, and a very loud portion of his supporters condone hateful acts against these groups. By shooting these people into the mainstream, otherwise “well-meaning” Trump supporters are screwing a lot of people over.

Oh, and let’s not mention climate change. I’m 28. I hope to grow old and have kids and grandkids. Trump’s policies on the biggest threat the world faces put that in great jeopardy.

So please, as well meaning as you think you are, go reflect on these very grave issues, because people growing up today are going to have to face the consequences of this election.

• HabinSquamish says:

I know what Hab in Surrey is getting at, I voted for Rob Ford in Toronto a few years back. The Liberal council members were handing themselves 20% raises every year. That being said I didn’t know he was a crack-head at the time, but I figured we needed a restart. There was a famous line from Sandra Busin in my district in Toronto, “who will take care of the disadvantaged if he is elected”, you donkey, you should have thought of that before you stepped up to the pay raise trough!

Trump is brutal, I was in shock, I had the same kind of night-sweats the night he was elected as I had when I realized that the Bruins could win the Stanley Cup the last time they did…

• Kvothe says:

Rob Ford was way different, though. And at least he was involved with disadvantaged kids, etc.

Trump is a racist, misogynistic d-bag who is probably in cahoots with Putin, and other shady strongmen, for the purpose of business deals.

I know what it’s like to be seduced by a populist strongman. I have family members who voted for Hugo Chavez (and btw, Venezuela is a f-ing mess now). But at least Chavez portrayed himself as a unifying figure who was out to help the most in need. Trump is a divisive and toxic figure, who has no regard for marginalized groups.

Voting for someone like that is inexcusable.

• HabinSquamish says:

100% agree. I’m just saying that there is a correction needed every once in a while. Trump was not the time to do it.

• joeybarrie says:

Democracy is what happens when the leader that gets the most votes leads the country.
      What frustrates me the most is that Trump ran on a platform of not the same politics, not the same government stooges woring for the top 1%.
      Instead he fills the government with the top 1% to make all the decisions directly.
      And 9 days before he takes office, he has already broken more than half of his campaign promises and continues to tweet like an insolent child who can’t take it if anyone says anything bad about him.
      Truth is, IMO, Trump will set back the USA decades the progress that the country has made in recent years.

• Kvothe says:

Damn straight. Also, is it really democracy when you lose the popular vote but still gain office?

• chronichab says:

Jb,Hillary got 2.8 million more votes than Trump,you can thank years
        and years of gerrymandering by the republicans for this.

kvothe ,l,m I n my early sixties and despise Trump as much as you.

• joeybarrie says:

The biggest issue for me is that I currently live in Maryland. We have 6.9 million people in this state.
          Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana all have a total of 3.4 million people.
          MD counts as 10 electoral votes, and AK, MT, ND, SD count as 12.
          Basically in the richest (per income) and most affluent state in the USA, each vote counts for less than half than four of the mid to poorest and least educated states in the union.
          Nothing against the poor and uneducated (my parents and their whole lineage for the most part) All hard workers that deserve the chance at education and opportunity.
          But those numbers are astonishingly skewed for a supposed equal and democratic country.
          MD is responsible for approx 180 billion in taxes, whereas those four states combined roughly half at 60 billion. (federal and state by the way)
          Opportunity is strongly available to those who can afford it. Segregation in education is astonishing in the US.
          Its unbelievable and we have no desire to change it. We like to be held down apparently.

• chronichab says:

Jb,Hillary got 2.8 million more votes than Trump,you can thank years
        and years of gerrymandering by the republicans for this.

kvothe ,l,m In my early sixties and despise Trump as much as you.
        Hopefully the fbi can find a smoking gun re Trumps ties to Russia

• joeybarrie says:

DONT BE INSANE…. The FBI literally lost the election for Clinton Illegally and on purpose. Comey should be tried for influencing the election and there are very specific laws about that.
          Comey is a Trump tool at this point, and the FBI will be doing nothing but supporting Trump and reaping the rewards.

I know it wasnt much different with Clinton in a lot of aspects. But at least they were there for the benefit of the many, not the top 1%.

• chronichab says:

Don’t be insane? Seriously, insane? The fbi leaked info re Russian
            meddling and possibly compromising Trump by obtaining financial and personal info that they could use to blackmail him.
            Comey definitely helped Trump and could have evened things by
            releasing what they knew about his ties to Russia,Comey has alot
            to answer for and he may yet pay for his meddling. l hope so.
            There are people in the FBI that are democrats,they released the info so that Comey could not keep it out of public knowledge,his hands are tied,he has been outed by his own people.
            Calling someone insane is beneath your usual standard of commentary and unwarranted.

• Captain aHab says:

I just wonder what you think this enema will consist of?

The Trump camp was erasing promises from his website the night of the elections – that was demonstrated.

What I wonder about is if the guy becomes an absolute trainwreck that is shaping up to be a one-term President, will his own party look at removing him to save face? It’s not like everyone in that party was enthused about him getting the nomination…

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

29. Kvothe says:

I don’t wanna discriminate against mudmen, inbred people, or swamp dwellers who engage in promiscuity with goats, but if you like Trump, then you should be ashamed of yourself. There’s no justifying that.

This is a hockey board, but there are certain long in the tooth posters who have expressed their disdain for liberalism, democracy, and Obama’s legacy. On the night of his farewell speech, let me put it out there: you’re so ________ out to lunch, thanks for screwing up the world for the next generation.

One thing’s for sure, for all the unwarranted BS that Millennials get (that’s me!), we’re on the right side of history when it comes to our open-mindedness, tolerance, and liberal cosmopolitanism. The world doesn’t belong to anyone, and borders and race are social constructs. We should be embracing diversity and rejoicing at what a rich and wonderful, multicultural world we live in, not putting up barriers and shunning people who are “others.”

It’s f-ing sad that, even in Canada, Twittler’s views have some traction. This isn’t a WASP’s world, or country, and we’re ultimately all immigrants.

In an attempt to link this, even tenuously, to hockey, let me say that I’m glad hockey culture is changing. It’s getting younger and more dynamic, and embracing youth, sincerity, and personality, while eschewing the idiotic narratives of the past, albeit at a just-faster-than-glacial pace. The Don Cherrys and automatons’ time is up, and it’s exciting that we are embracing guys who don’t hide behind cliches and who show passion and emotion. But most of all, guys who are not afraid to be proud of where they are from. I’m proud to live in a time where Muslims, Russians, African-Canadians/Americans, among others, take the ice as brothers in arms. That’s the way the world is going, and the next POTUS is in direct opposition to that.

The next 4 years will be a test of our faith in the good of humanity.

• Loop_G says:

You are correct that most of stuff millennials get accused of is BS. Most of it comes from mis-understanding a different and new view point. Borders have always been a bit odd to me, and you are again correct, they are ideas, not real things (so is money, and financial/market “rules” etc).

The world and our society are far safer and more inclusive than they have ever been, and I hate seeing fear of the other being used as a tool to divide people. I understand some change was needed, but in this case, the people who need change the most get the person who will hurt them the most to lead their country.

30. Un Canadien errant says:

The city of Seattle is turning the process on its head. Instead of bidding against other towns/counties to attract a professional team or stadium, they’re pitting developers against each other, making them compete to propose the best deal to the city to either renovate Key Arena, or build a new arena suitable for NBA, NHL and concert use.

Is the tide turning? After San Diego turning down Dean Spanos’ request/shakedown for at least half a billion dollars in taxpayer money to build a new stadium for essentially the Chargers’ exclusive use, maybe there is hope.

———————————————————————–
    ¡Viva Frontenac siempre y para siempre!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yeah enough is enough. The data is out there that shows that stadiums aren’t economic drivers (what…hot-dog slinging jobs don’t improve an economy??? LOL).

Anyway, supposedly Spanos is willing to continue to try to “work it out” in SD if he can keep his LA option. Supposedly the Raiders will pull out their LA claim if they get the Las Vegas blessing. On va voir.

If Davey D were not injured he’d be in the starting All Star lineup centering Crosby and Ovechkin

32. FormalWare says:

Boston looking good in David Backes’s “homecoming” game in St. Louis.

The Bruins will move up, I predict, as the season wears on, to establish a stranglehold on second place in the Atlantic, by virtue of their strength down the middle. Doesn’t get much better than Krejci, Bergeron, and Backes. (Though perhaps it gets a tiny bit better; could be Crosby-Malkin-Bonino.)

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

33. Slack says:

Happy my man Big Mike is getting to go to the all star game. About time the guy gets some fair recognition for the fine job he’s done with this team.

34. Un Canadien errant says:

A Canadiens-centric 30 Thoughts this week by Elliotte Friedman.

———————————————————————–
    ¡Viva Frontenac siempre y para siempre!

35. Mavid says:

Caribbean goats with large testicles..Goad simulators..thats what happens when I leave you kids alone for one single day…sigh…

Weed Wacker -and now Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

36. DipsyDoodler says:

Seems Donald Trump loves gold in all its guises.

37. Strummer says:

Speaking of “wool”,
    If the Habs had been able to draft Laine would that have been the perfect nickname?

-Some folks really have trouble letting go of stuff, eh?-

38. Dunboyne Mike says:

Was merely skimming before bed, no intention of logging on.

But guys — the goat and zoo posts. I am gob-smacked! LOLLLLLLLLL!
    Good night.

39. fastfreddy says:

What’s the word on the return dates of our injured players? Who is coming back first?

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

40. FormalWare says:

Wool, wool, wool… What has HI/O been up to while I’ve been gone? Goat jokes?! Do y’all need a nanny?

They’re for satyrical purposes, I get that. Just don’t ram ’em down my throat!

“Good Luck With That,” Habs!

41. docketrocket says:

I just read Stew’s don’t worry about Price’s mini-slump column. I am not worried about his mini-slump. He is not hurting the team. I am worried about his distracted play. I am worried it has nothing to do with hockey. Something is amiss. We should be concerned. Hope it is nothing serious. We need him, and many of us love him.

42. twilighthours says:

I went back and read the goat story. It was worth it.

43. Ingy27 says:

Didn’t anyone else notice the 2 highlight reel goals scored this year against the HABS both involved Petry fishing for the puck like it’s a beer league and for some reason pacioretty within feet but doing nothing….?

44. Mark C says:

Phil – based on your example of Brian Elliot, how does your theory explain the fact that Brian Elliot has 0.889 SV% this year, while his teammate Chad Johnson has a 0.922. Same team, same year, yet one goalie has the 13th best qualifying SV% and the other the league’s worst ranking of 47th.

This disparity happens elsewhere. Take Boston for example. Tuukka Rask 0.928, all other backups 0.874. Small sample size and all, but this is a delta of over 0.05! Jimmy Howard is 2nd at 0.934, his teammate Peter Mrazek has a 0.895, good for 45th. Devan Dubnyk leads the league, yet his backup, has a SV% 0.037 points lower, a very mediocre 0.902.

Sure, SV % is likely at least somewhat dependent on team play, however there is a multiple of other factors that go into it, most importantly the actual level of play by the goalie.

• Phil C says:

Of course the goalie’s talent will reflect in the sv%. My Elliott example shows how the team effect can change the sv% by as much as .030. Given the average sv% of around .915, that swing is the difference between the best and worst goalie in the league, so you have to consider the team when looking at a goalie’s numbers. You just can’t say Condon sucked because his SV% numbers are poor. I think there is plenty of evidence that the Habs losing streak last year went beyond bad goaltending.

Carey Price is has not been a .930 goalie since December like he was at the beginning of the year or during all of his Vezina year. Given he has half an AHL team in front of him, is this okay or is Price playing poorly? Many posters on the last thread are suggesting he’s slumping because of these stats. I think it would be impossible to maintain .930 with so many young players in the lineup. That’s the context of the discussion;how do you assess sv% and draw conclusions from it.

45. Un Canadien errant says:

And how about the Edmonton Oilers, mere weeks after refusing to loan Jesse Puljujarvi to the Finnish World Junior team, sending him down to Bakersfield so he could play more minutes in every situation? And as someone on TSN or RDS pointed out, they did the same thing with Leon Draisaitl a couple years back, didn’t loan him to the German team, and then in January sent him down to Kelowna.

Despite the régime change and installation of Peter Chiarelli as GM, are the Oilers the Cleveland Browns of the NHL?

———————————————————————–
    ¡Viva Frontenac siempre y para siempre!

• 25soonenough says:

pretty selfish really.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• Luke says:

According to some insider-y insiders, the Oilers also waited long enough to ship off Jesse Pyjamas (as he likes to be called) that they burnt the 1st year of his contract AND it counts towards the UFA age.

With Leon it was just the year of the ELC, I think.

• bwoar says:

There’s definitely brown in their managerial palette.

• knob says:

Puljujarvi is under contract with Edmonton and represents an asset that they have a vested interest in. What could Edmonton possible gain in having play in the tournament? What they could lose is Puljujarvi to some sort of long-term injury, like a torn ACL or broken neck. I have to side with Edmonton on this one.

in all thy sons command

• 25soonenough says:

and sending him to Bakersfield? doesn’t he risk the same injuries? Playing is playing and getting a chance to help his Finnish teammates would have likely made him a happier player. But what do I know…

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• knob says:

Risk associated with normal course of playing within the organization versus playing in a nonrelated tournament? There is a difference.

in all thy sons command

• myron.selby says:

So I guess by this logic, no NHL team should allow any of their players to participate in the world chamionships or Olympics?

• knob says:

Depends on the CBA and whether the NHL will allow players to go.

in all thy sons command

• Phil C says:

Playing in a best-against-best tournament is a great player development opportunity, especially in a 1st line role. Certainly safer than playing in a league full of knuckle-dragging thugs like the AHL.

46. Luke says:

u guys are weird

47. bwoar says:

Since WWF star Jimmy Hart comes up so often here, I thought this classic magazine ad would find a place in your hearts:

• RightNyder says:

A horse smoking a cigar for an avatar, endless talk of goats and now homo-erotic wrestling ice cream treats?
      You have single-handedly turned this place into a den of iniquity.

• johnnylarue says:

Bah, iquity is overrated.

• myron.selby says:

Johnny! We’ve missed you man. Way too much strain on RightNyder and UCE trying to fill your giant clown shoes. Mr Bellyful was having to carry the mail pretty much on his lonesome.

• johnnylarue says:

I’ve been in a self-imposed exile from caring about hockey. I figure I’ll jump on again when the wagon comes ’round in March… unless The Donald cancels the playoffs for being too Canadian (or too Mexican).

• 25soonenough says:

any den that has a horse smoking a cigar I would frequent at least once, if for any reason, to see a horse smoke a cigar.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• bwoar says:

Thank you! Until Front makes a return, we’ve gotta keep the place at least a little welcoming.

48. Paz says:

Phil, of course a goalie’s effectiveness is directly correlated to the team in front of him, because the team can limit the quantity and determine the quality of shots against.

One goalie can have a higher save percentage, but face fewer and less dangerous shots than another goalie with a worse save percentage.

Flipping a shot on net from the blue line counts as one shot net.
    Firing a one timer from the slot also counts as one shot on net.
    One shot. Totally different demands on the goalie.

The team had the worst record in hockey over a 3 month stretch. Although Condon had many shaky games, he certainly did not cause the team to lose all of those games.

There was a stretch in there, about 30 games worth, where the team almost never scored more than 2 goals. Literally. I don’t feel like doing the work to find those numbers, I did it last year, but it was obvious that the team could not score, and they were being beaten 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, etc on a regular basis.

Did Condon stop the team from scoring?

Did Condon hurt the team’s power play?

Was Condon responsible for the team’s injuries?

• marvin20 says:

I wouldn’t stress to much over last year 🙁 there is lots of blame to go around. I would rather enjoy the success they are having this year and look forward to a good cup run

• Phil C says:

Thanks Paz, they indeed could not score for a while.

• RightNyder says:

Team scored the EXACT same amount of goals getting 110 points with Price as the primary No. 1 as they did getting 82 points with Condon as numero uno.
      Condon was goat excrement last year, and MB should be beaten with a billy club for doing such a terrible job as the team’s nanny.

• Phil C says:

The offense stunk then too. Being masked by decent defense and all-world goaltending.

• RightNyder says:

So what you’re saying is that the drop from all-world goaltending to shyte goaltending was, in fact, the problem? 🙂

• Paz says:

You can’t simply look at the total goals scored, because the team scored at the beginning of the season, and then after the terrible 30 games ended around March.

Overall, the team scored the same amount of goals.

But the losses came during a 30 game stretch starting Dec 2. And ended around the beginning of March.

• RightNyder says:

In 2014-15, Price had 23 wins in which his team scored three goals or less. 10 wins in which his team score two or less.
            He allowed more than three goals 11 times.

Condon had eight wins in which his team scored three goals or less. Just two wins in which his team scored two or less. He allowed more than three goals 19 times. He was 64th in save percentage.

Condon was freaking terrible and the single-biggest reason for the suckitide.

• Paz says:

Your comparing Condon to Price’s 2014/2015 MVP season?

Seriously?

• DipsyDoodler says:

In fairness to RightNyder, since the debate is Price versus Condon, it isn’t completely beside the point to compare Price and Condon.

—–

And there is Michael Therrien extension right there. Watch for a 5 year contract being announced any time now. Bergivin is part of Team Canada crew, Therrien is an All-Star. How can you possibly get rid off them now?

50. RightNyder says:

“I have been satisfied so far with enjoying the Goat Simulator. I’ll admit it doesn’t do justice to what you describe, not at all.”

51. CH Sam says:

Just some random googling on Guy Carbonneau to pass time:

Although it was a relatively short stint, the numbers don’t look so bad. Above .500 hockey, and even a playoff run. Price wasn’t mature yet, and Kovalev was being the enigma. Still, I wonder if it would have been better for Carbo to start with the AHL instead of landing the top job so soon. Then again, MT got the job at age 37.

Michel Therrien: http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/therrmi99c.html

Interesting numbers- the year Malkin debuts with the Pens coincides with MT’s jump in numbers.

52. knob says:

During the intermission last night, Engles was talking about Montreal shopping Plekanec. Commenting that Danault has played well enough to take over Plekanec’s role on the team and as a result Plekanec has become expendable.

I think that if this is the case, the return would likely be an underperforming playing with a similar cap hit and term.

in all thy sons command

53. D Mex says:

And now for a slightly different slant on the ASG on LA :
    – Which NHL all-star would you
    most like to see in an episode of
    Carpool Karaoke with James Cordon ❓
    Try to think of a player you know who typifies Hollywood, someone who is comfortable around cameras and microphones – you know, someone who enjoys the spotlight … 😈

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

Support Therrien – vote Desharnais : https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot
    See the Therrien – Desharnais duet here : http://i.imgur.com/NoNJ3FV.gif
    Therrien / Lacroix / Pacioretty : All Desharnais All the Time !

54. RightNyder says:

“UCE, thanks for the warning on goats.”
    Best start to a post in a long time.

55. cbhabsfan says:

One last try: I honestly can’t find any credible information that tells me whether Redmond is injured or is just in Therrien’s doghouse.

Does anyone know anything about this?

56. DipsyDoodler says:

I can regale anyone with some quirky medical complications of zoophilia if they want.

57. CJinBK says:

One last completely random and non-hockey-related post, and it’s back to work for me…

The new Ryan Adams album, “Prisoner”, is a masterpiece. It is his “Sea Change”. Everything that he has done right in his previous work is distilled into a wonderful record. Give him the Grammy now.

• 25soonenough says:

On it. thanks for the heads up, love Ryan Adams. Live at Carnagie Hall is my favorite. Heart breaker is also a great album.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

MT is an All – Star. Why am I picturing the Coach driving around town cranking Smashmouth AllStar singing Karaoke while smoking?

59. joshua94k says:

Geoff Molson you got conned. You let your GM trade a franchise player and city icon for Shea Weber.

Shea Weber is suppose to make the team better now…
    The team has only two more wins than this time last year. Even with Carey Price playing majority of the games. Last year at this time they were 23 wins and 20 losses. Currently they have 25 wins.

Shea Weber will make the specialty teams better.
    The power-play is struggling. It is predictable, teams are keying in on Weber and there is little offensive creation. The penalty kill is not good ranking 23rd. Carey Price has an awful .81% save percentage while short-handed.

Shea Weber will protect Carey Price.
    This has not happened. Speeding forwards are crashing the crease and knocking Carey more than ever before.

Shea Weber has a very hard and accurate shot.
    Pacioretty and Gallagher have been recently injured by his shots.

Shea Weber brings amazing leadership to the room?
    With Carey Price, the Canadiens have only 2 more wins than last year. Weber’s teams have never made it to the conference finals.

Shea Weber isn’t really helping this team right now. When he is 35 and eating 8 million of cap space for the next half decade, Mr. Molson will not be a happy man and we won’t have Bergevin and Therrien to blame. They will be long gone.

• marvin20 says:

You should copy and paste this post on every new thread. The more times you repeat yourself the more convincing your argument sounds. Or if it gets buried in a long list of other posts you should post it again, then I will be sold

• CJinBK says:

Grump Worse-ly, is that you?

The Habs have only 10 losses and 6 overtime losses to go with their 25 wins, for 56 points at the half point of the season. And are first in their division. And 6th in the league. (With a game or two in hand.)

You are comparing 41 games against 43 games. Are you convinced that the Habs will lose the next two in regulation? Or do you know something we don’t? Have you come back from the future to post this?

• RightNyder says:

As long as Weber keeps his beard, things will be fine.
      Has to be a correlation between his stretch of tepid play and his clean-shaven mug.

• 25soonenough says:

you forgot to mention PK’s Canadian Tire commercials. Those are helping Nashville contend for a cup more than anything else.

–Larry Robinson was my neighbor once….

• bwoar says:

And yet the Predators aren’t even going to make the playoffs.

I wonder if Molson and MB know something you’ve overlooked?

• devhab says:

There’s gotta be a support group for guys like this

Giddy up

60. Phil C says:

To follow up on the discussion on the previous thread and the “Blame Condon” argument:

In 2011, Brian Elliott was the one of the worst starters in the league in the goalie graveyard that is Ottawa, with a .893 SV%. The next year in the goalie nirvana that is St. Louis, he posts .940 sv%, the best ever single season sv%…and doesn’t even get nominated for the Vezina!

Now Elliott either sold his soul at the crossroads in the summer of 2011 and magically became an all-world goalie, or we can conclude that goalie stats are very dependent on the quality of the team and the system being coached in front of him.

I agree Condon was not good at times last year, but on many nights he was probably good enough, given that they only needed to play .500 hockey. And there are more than one pair of goat horns to hand out. I think we can look at Bergevin’s off-season work as a laundry list of what went wrong last year:

– poor back up goaltending -> sign Montoya; sign Lindgren
    – poor coaching -> bring in Muller as an associate, not just an assistant
    – Lack of Offensive talent -> sign Radulov, bring Lehkonen over, move Galchenyuk to centre and leave him there
    – lack of leadership -> bring in Weber, ship out Subban
    – lack of toughness -> Weber again, sign Shaw, go hard after Lucic

As for Price, when half the team is from the AHL, there is no way he can maintain a .930 sv%. Anything around .915% would be good, even for Price.

• CJinBK says:

This all seems very reasonable, logical, and coherent.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Elliott with Ottawa versus Elliott in StL – the difference is the team.

Price in Montreal vs Condon in Montreal – the difference is the player.

• cbhabsfan says:

Once Price went down, soon to be followed by Gallagher, my argument is that the team gradually, and without really noticing it happening, turned into the Arizona Coyotes.

But minus the nice weather, sadly.

• Phil C says:

Condon’s numbers in October and November were as good as Price’s, when they actually had the same team in front of them.

Then the team changed due to injuries and lineup changes. That’s part of my point about this season. Price’s numbers this year look like Condon’s last year since December with half of the lineup consisting of AHLers. Except they are finding ways to win.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re glossing over a very important fact, which is that for 10 or 12 games after Carey’s second injury, the Canadiens were outchancing, outshooting, out-Corsiing their opposition, but not winning games, because the goalies were not doing their job. Yes eventually injuries struck and the veterans seemingly stopped trying, but it’s inaccurate to say that Mike Condon and Carey Price were essentially equal in performance with the same team in front of them.

When Mike Condon was called upon as a backup, he did fine. When he had the pressure of a starter though, he folded, he couldn’t do the job. Now we can lay the responsibility of that on Marc Bergevin if we choose. But to repeat over and over that Mike Condon was just as good as Carey but it’s the team in front of him that stank won’t make it so. That is simply not supported by the facts.

• RightNyder says:

As always:
      – Condon was terrible. Not his fault. It was like asking DD to be a No. 1 centre.
      – MB absolutely gets credit for doing his homework; knocked down a couple of letter grades for turning it in a year late.
      – MT remains a harrumphing tangerine bawbag.

• cbhabsfan says:

Statistics can be deceiving. A goal against is still a goal against, whether it’s due to the sleep-walking zombies in front of the goaltender or the goaltender himself.

I saw plenty of games in February and March of last season where even the great Price himself would have felt like throwing in the towel.

• RightNyder says:

Obviously Condon wasn’t the sole reason for the collapse, but his suckitude was absolutely the single-biggest reason.
          As always, I don’t blame him. What’s he going to do, say “please don’t play me 55 times”? No.
          That said, revisiting Condon’s terribleness really doesn’t do much other than remind me how funny the panic beard was.

If you’re OK with MB sewering a year of the team’s core, the Polly approach would be to say “look, it forced MB to do his homework, and we got Sergachev out of the deal”.

• cbhabsfan says:

That’s reasonable. I guess the point I’ve been hammering at overt the past few months is that our poor, inexperienced rookie goaltender had a lot of help in the suckage from a number of much more experienced hockey players who should be ashamed of themselves for dialing it in.

Until the final few weeks of the season, when the kiddies were called up and played hard to make an impression on management, some of our stalwart veterans were pretty much MIA for most of the second half of the season.

• cbhabsfan says:

I was in on that conversation, Phil, and I don’t think enough weight has been given to the many sad-sack performances put in by his more experienced teammates last year.

As many games as Condon let in a deflating goal or two, there were many more where his feeling-sorry-for-themselves teammates just didn’t put in the work.

A toal team effort, in reverse.

• RightNyder says:

Vast difference playing in front of a goalie you know might never let in a goal and one you know is going to crush your soul by wilting at the wrong time.
        As you mentioned, stats can be deceiving.
        Condon lets in a couple of first-period stinkers, altering the way you need to play. Then he plays like a champ for 50 minutes, then lets in a softie for the winner. Stats say he saved 37 of 40 shots. Your soul knows he sucked.
        Mike Condon, soul-crusher.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Difference being that Price and Condon had the same team and coach in front of them last year.

Condon gave up an extra goal a game. That is exactly the difference between the best and the worst record in the league (188 goals for Anaheim vs 257 for Calgary).

• Phil C says:

Early in the season, Condon was matching Price’s numbers. Then the wheels came off, which was more than just the goaltending. Injuries, lack of depth, poor response from the players, poor adjustments by the coaching staff, a latent weak offense getting exposed. And yes, some dodgy goaltending. You can’t put an extra goal a game all on the goaltending in this case.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Phil, I understand you believe this strongly, but I have to say I actually did the homework on this, on how the goaltending really wasn’t up to par during The Swoon after Carey’s second injury. I laid it all out in posts on HIO, that I linked to in a reply to your post yesterday, how the Canadiens never lost when their goalies outplayed the opposition (based on Sv%), and never won when their goalies played more poorly. I believe for a very long stretch, the Canadiens didn’t lose any game if the goalies posted a .900 or better, and didn’t win if they posted a .899 or worse.

That’s pretty convincing evidence to me that the goaltending of Mike Condon, Ben Scrivens and Dustin Tokarski wasn’t up to snuff during the losing streak last season. And when the vets packed it in, when Andrei and Tomas were nearly shameful in their lack of effort, the goalies didn’t heroically steal any games, they kept giving up softies.

And strictly on the eye test, did they look good? How many times did we see Mike Condon ‘battling’, sliding way out of position, with his back to the shooters after giving up a rebound? How many times did we see Dustin hunker down in his net, leaving open wide swathes of net to shoot at?

We’ll agree to disagree, obviously, but as much as the Canadiens stank last year, a large part of that lies with the goalies. They didn’t do the job expected of an NHL goalie, all three of them who tried to sub in while Carey convalesced (excluding Charlie Lindgren’s one game).

• RightNyder says:

^^Yes.

• Phil C says:

I disagree with your premise that sv% is a pure goalie stat. I think it’s a team stat, or a stat that is at least strongly influenced by team play/strength. Scapegoating Condon let’s everyone else off the hook and that’s simply not what happened last year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

This is the area where we can find agreement. I’ll allow that you think Sv% is more of a team stat, while my sense is that a lot of work is being done on ‘shot quality’, and there’s no smoking gun. Teams that shoot more shoot more than other teams in largely the same proportions, from the same areas, with minor differences. Eventually, lots of goalies see lots of rubber, and they have to stop at least nine out of ten pucks to be considered NHL goalies.

I think my posts are plain-spoken enough to show that I’m not letting everyone off the hook. That’s clear to see.

I’m not scapegoating Mike Condon, which implies attributing to him more of the blame than he deserves. I’m attributing him his fair share though, despite his being a nice fellow, and my hoping that we wouldn’t lose him on waivers this fall. He had a good/great start to his season, a horrid middle stretch, and then a last little stretch where he was respectable and did nothing but harm our draft ranking, but that’s just the bitter draft nerd in me talking.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Team performance has a effect, but don’t discount individual improvements or falloffs. Think how guys like Tim Thomas were journeymen, then suddenly made a couple of fixes to their game I guess and all of a sudden became All-Stars. On the other hand, guys like Jim Carey who win the Vézina one season and then can never replicate their success. There are Devin Setoguchis in net also.

Devan Dubnyk may be a hybrid of both factors. After years of getting shelled with his putrid teammates in Edmonton, in a bad organization with bad coaching, he rebuilds his game in another city, regains confidence, but also makes quite a few changes to his approach and strategy, and becomes a Vézina candidate.

61. cbhabsfan says:

Nice to see the injured players starting to filter back into the lineup, but what abiout the uninjured players who are also MIA?

I guess Bergevin must be showcasing Ryan Johnston as a tarde chip, because I fail to see what he’s doing on right defence on the third pairing that Zack Redmond couldn’t do much better. I even prefer Redmond to Pateryn in that spot, actually.

So, unless Redmond has a top-secret injury that no one can talk about or was a passenger in a pickup truck that ran into a tree, I really don’t understand his complete disappeance from the lineup at all.

But maybe it’s all a misunderstading on my part. Does anyone on here know what’s going on with Redmond these days?

• rogieshan says:

I’ve been scratching my head over this as well. I remember Redmond being thrown into Therrien’s doghouse immediately after a game where he was caught too deep in the offensive zone that resulted in a goal against; I don’t think he’s been back in the lineup since.

Johnston is a decent skater and can handle the puck, but is painful to watch when defending. If not Redmond, why not Brett Lernout?

62. CJinBK says:

Last year’s ASG was the best ever — I used to like them as a kid, but I was a kid, and tight 21-20 games had their excitement — due to the format, but mostly due to the John Scott factor. (Still wish he had the Ice Caps logo on his pants instead the NHL crest, but oh well.)

I just hope that the boys have fun, and their families have fun, and that Price and Subban* share one more triple-low-5, right where Therrien can see it.

*If he can play. What are the chances that his season is over?

63. RightNyder says:

I want to see a “stand in front of the net while Shea Weber shoots” all-star contest.

64. bwoar says:

UCE, thanks for the warning on goats. I have been satisfied so far with enjoying the game Goat Simulator. I’ll admit it doesn’t do justice to what you describe, not at all.

I was thinking I could rent the goat out to neighbours to control overgrowth and pests, like yappy dogs that none but their owners can tolerate. I suspect my rickety wooden shed would be demolished in a day. I think I’ll name the goat Frank Bravo.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s too bad that UcE’s somewhat long but very touching story of a young boy growing up on a goat farm in Canada, and his voyage of discovery, will go unread due to the thread update.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let’s decree that this thread shall be the Goat Thread, since Phil C also references them in his post above.

Goat Thread, that is, if we can stomach it.

65. Luke says:

With missing tomorrow’s game Markov cannot hit 1,000 games this season.

That gets a big ol’ “Booooooooooooo!” from me.

66. Phil C says:

Getting invited to the all-star game was a death kiss for Carbonneau.

67. arcosenate says:

What about DD? Too small a sample size? This is going to piss a certain member of HIO right off.

I would have added Radulov to the mix, I think he’s been the best Habs player all season.

Playing another 2 road games in a row seems a bit unfair after the road trip they were just on, with the injuries it probably won’t end well in Winnipeg tomorrow.

68. CJinBK says: