Three 3s

Three wins in a row, three Ws at home, three on the road.

And with nine games in the books, your Montreal Canadiens are first in the Eastern Conference.

Night of the Plumbers

Moen just misses Gordie Howe hat trick

O’Byrne, Picard on the bubble

• Arpon Basu on Carey Price and the D

• François Gagnon writes Markov is ready

James Wisniewski audio on the “inexcusable” Moen hit

Allan Walsh is at it again

Jane Findlay has this view from the Commentariat:

Who said Jacques Martin hockey was boring?  It’s
a very long time since we’ve been able to watch our team play such
fast, exciting, intelligent hockey on a regular basis.  Few people saw
this coming last year when the team took most of the season to gel, the
games were played largely in our zone, we were outshot night after
night, and we had no chance of winning if our goaltender wasn’t
outstanding.  Price is playing well, but, apart from the Pittsburgh
game, he’s not stealing the wins.  The whole team is contributing, and
everything from faceoffs to defensive zone coverage to the transition
game is much improved from last year.

Alexandre Picard has earned
his spot.  He’s not the fastest guy or the toughest along the boards,
but he makes intelligent plays and not many mistakes.  I thought when he
and P.K. started playing together that it was a risky pairing, but for
the moment it’s going surprisingly well.  Unfortunately he’ll probably
be on the bench when Markov comes back.  The RDS guys think it should be
Spacek who sits, but that’s not going to happen with his salary.
 However, Spacek was better last night; that penalty at the end of the
second period, which led to the Islanders’ second goal, was BS.

I
think it’s only a matter of time until both the powerplay and the Gomez
line unblock.  Our first powerplay last night looked great, and we
should certainly have scored.  P.K. hit the post, and Gionta missed a
certain goal.  We’re creating chances and moving the puck well, so I
think success is not far away.  The same goes for Gomez and Gionta, but I
wish JM would put Pouliot back with them and give the line a handful of
games before trying someone else.

Lars Eller had another strong
game and is visibly gaining confidence.  JM is managing his role and
ice-time well; perhaps the idea that he “ruins” young players, which
floated around all last year, will quietly go away.

We’re racking up the wins and looking great, but we have yet to play Boston, Washington or Philadelphia.

The
three-star selection is a joke.  How can fans not realize that it
becomes meaningless if we choose three of our own players in a close
game?  It’s true that we dominated the Islanders for long stretches, but
there’s no way James Wisniewski, with a goal and two assists, should
not have had a star over Price.

1. Storm Man says:

Xtra…… You have big dreams in life.

2. habfan53 says:

Totally agree

3. Storm Man says:

What happened to your GQ man of the year pic? Did the fire take care of it.

4. Xtrahabsfan says:

None  are saying Price  is playing badly  but some M/F’s definitely wish too sleep with Carey ;)

5. habfan53 says:

Hey SD,  PK was there he was the 2nd star and he deserved it.

Hey. I lost my job because of the very same reason. The French claim to have an open society but they always circle the wagons to protect each other.

I posted some crap I heard about Halak and Price the first week I worked there and the posts were so offensive that they got deleted. The details of the post were apparently common knowledge, but only common knowledge if one was Quebecois.

I love Montreal but it’s because of Montrealers. I wish Montreal would separate from Quebec.

7. fbkj says:

meh

i just consider him to be the ben mulroney of hockey

8. light_n_tasty says:

1. False.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda got more for Halak.  I’m not saying we shoulda kept Halak over Price, but we shoulda got someone to play with Gio and He-Who’s-Contract-Must-Not-Be-Named.  We had cap room to get more.

2. False. Pouliot.

3. True.  Team D is Key.

4. False.  Our forwards have not changed.  They will continue to be pushed around by Pronger and Co.

5. False.  Just playin’ the odds on that one.

9. Hobie Hansen says:

This is my 3rd post today, lots of free time at work to read Habs’ stuff…

I wanted to comment on people bashing Pierre McGuire. I don’t always like every broadcaster or reporter on television but McGuire, c’mon man. This guy is Mr. Hockey as far as I’m concerned. I’ve lived in Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and grew up in Montreal. I listened to his early days on CJAD in Montreal and every city I’ve lived in he’s done a 20 minute spot on the sports radio stations each morning. He’s up and 5:00 AM every morning, studying the game by speaking to players, coaches and other reports. He loves the game more than anyone I’ve ever seen. I once heard him talking about his weekly schedule and between TSN, NBC and a pile of other responsibilities and he travelled back and forth across the country three times. He’s an ex coach and delivers an awesome opinion of what’s going on between the benches and on the ice. He gets worked up and acts silly sometimes but isn’t hockey supposed to be fun? People that bash him are probably the guys who like to grumble over the rules and the salary cap all day long instead of watching the games…

10. fbkj says:

what i hate most is in doing so, they end up throwing themselves under the bus

11. HFX-HabFan says:

He just tries way too hard, and then throws in terms that aren’t needed for hockey analysis.

I also loathe his need to tell us every player’s hometown or where they played junior- that was a HNIC thing (mostly Cuthbert, who ironically is now with TSN) long before McGuire ever started it.

12. TomNickle says:

You have to learn to laugh at McGuire.  Keep in mind that Pierre Gauthier fired him.

Saying Eller needs to be a goal scorer for the Halak trade to work out seems to be his calling card these days.  I’ve got news for him, it’s attitude like that which has resulted in his not being able to get a job with a professional hockey team.  A wet behind the ears legacy beat him out for the Wild job.  His candidacy for that job was only a publicity stunt.

And for people who say that he’s not like that off camera, you’re wrong.  His attitude is precisely what has kept organizations from hiring him.  He has a mentality that he should have the final say in all matters, tough position to take when somebody else is signing your paychecks and it isn’t your job to have the final say.

Nobody is alleging that people are saying that Price is not playing that good. However, a lot of people are alleging that people are saying that people are alleging that Price is not playing that good.

14. dhenry1234 says:

I agree with you in the fact that mcguire goes out of his way to point out useless and sometimes innapropriate information.

An example of innapropriate information was last night. I forget who the player was for the islanders but he started talking about him and the fact that there was a death in the player’s family or something to that regard. What does disrespectfully talking about a player’s family’s death have to do with hockey? If I was the player and heard mcguire talk about my personal life like that on a national broadcast I would literally smack him until he was KOed

15. mike g says:

Um, no..

Let’s not go there, alright.

I know that there are alot of people on both sides of the fence, english and french, that I don’t often agree with or like.

But my hate for the french media isn’t because of one guy. It’s because of their need to protect their own native Quebecois, and throw everyone else under the bus.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. HFX-HabFan says:

1- You need a few years before even beginning to answer this kind of question

2- False

3- True

4- False

5- True

17. habs001 says:

price has played very well and i supported keeping him over halak….it is still early in the season and we dont know what the final goalie stats will be but if halak has the same stats at the end of the season that he has now than we did not get full value for him…but i dont think both the blues and habs management believed that halak can have this type of season otherwise we would have asked much more for him and the blues would have given much more….

18. light_n_tasty says:

Nobody is saying that Price is not playing that good.  However, a lot of people are alleging that people are saying that Price is not playing that good.

19. mike g says:

Yea, Tommy Pyatt?..

I heard that one..

But the funniest thing was last night when he was getting all happy in his pants over Doug Weight. On the Islanders 1st PP of the game, he was going all crazy about him saying that Weight had made 4 great plays with the puck.

But what made that so funny is that those great decisions he made with the puck were all passes back to the point. Doug wasn’t in any sort of pressure situation, and was just doing that to open up the play. I’ve seen pee-wee players do that, but yet McGuire was all amazed.

Sometimes I feel as if he chooses certain players before the game starts, and all he’ll do is rave about htem all night long. And notice how he’s never once given Pleks props for all the great work he’s doing.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. HFX-HabFan says:

My three stars from last night:

1-Pleks, 2- Wisniewski, 3- Subban.  Honourable mentions to Moen and Roloson.

21. nunacanadien says:

1. The Halak trade is now being thought of to be a bigger mistake as Halak is mushrooming and blossoming in St. Louis, however, we shall wait and see if this is also the second year in which Price leads us to the conference finals only to be bumped early in the playoffs and Gauthier blows up the team later the year after, history repeats itself.  We become enthralled with what looks like a winner but which crumbles.

2. Moen could probably be a decent 3rd liner or even 4th, the one two punch to Subban, if only Moen was a few pounds heavier.

3. Martins system is probably not working well with power plays, five on five still, so I withold whether Martin’s system is working, we’ve been lucky in most of our wins to scrape by with power play goals.  We lose games where we rely on scoring five on five and hope that Price doesn’t let in more than 3 goals.

4. The habs are still small, or average to small, and will probably still get pushed around by the Flyers like they were against bigger teams.

5. Gionta if he keeps going like this will injure himself, in fact all of our shrimps get hurt easily, that is why they were so easy to sign, and we got ripped off by overpaying them, but Gionta has to snap out of his slump, as at least Gomez racks up the assists to explain part of his overpayment, but really, Gomez and Gionta are the engines of our offense but it gets overpowered easily with the bigger teams.  Perhaps Gomez and Gionta are worth what they are for the team effort they put in, but I would spend my money on real centres and real forwards, not cheerleaders or recruiters.  Since when does a pro player like Gomez make his living as a recruiter?

22. SmartDog says:

And Price well before his time.  Big mistake.

But it makes the point: the 3 star selection shouldn’t be done by the fans.  That’s a jerk-off move.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

23. fbkj says:

and yeah, i dont find were classy or knowledgeable, were excitable and passionate…

So is that why you hate the English Canadian media?

25. habs365 says:

I can’t figure you fans out, some of you is saying price is not playing that good. what games are you watching, I know I see a different price than you do. he’s doing fine, the overall team is playing well. with the exception of last night, we still have one scoring line, that can only last so long and the well is gonna run dry, what are we gonna do than. some how we’re gonna have to come up with a way to make a trade and I don’t have a clue where we’re gonna get a 20 goal scorer anything less than that it’s a waste of time, all you would be trading for is a different face, too much of that has happened in the pass, that’s why all our money is gone and we’ve only been able to ice a team good enough to make the playoffssome years. anything less than a stanley cup you’re just another team hoping your gonna luck in. if you don’t have a team with top six forwards and four good defenceman plus a very good goalie you’d better have lots of luck to win a cup.

26. Say Ash says:

Hey, we made Komisarek an all-star.

1. The Halak trade looks like it was a smart one: TRUE

It was a tough decision to make given Halak’s adoration by the fans, however it was a shrewd move which will pay of dividends as Eller looks like a keeper.

2: Moen is the best fit on the 2nd line: FALSE

That line needs a big body but a scorer. To me it has to be either Pouliot or Eller. Either that or break up Gionta and Gomez.

3. Martin’s ‘system’ is a major part of what is making this team successful: Not just TRUE but IS the reason

4. This year’s Habs won’t get pushed around by the Flyers: FALSE Habs still need a bruiser up front, a Canadian bruiser

5. Gionta gets one tomorrow night: Here’s hoping that’s TRUE

28. SmartDog says:

I agree Wiz-whatever-ski shoulda been there. And other guys mighta – PK probably.

But Price wasn’t far off. One of those goals was an impossible stop.  Several times he stoned the Isles (Tavares especially) keeping the Habs in it. And 9 games in a row is worth a few bonus points as well.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

29. Hobie Hansen says:

1. (Flase) I like Price in net but we should have gotten Perron in return.

2. (Flase) Moen is awesome but is a 3rd liner.

3. (True) Martin has a great mind for the game and is system is working well.

4. (False) We still need more size and can be pushed around by the flyers.

5. (True) Gionta is playing well and he’ll score in bunches shortly.

30. Nilan4Pres says:

I agree, altough I didn’t mind him too much the few games that I watched during the playoff last year that he was doing colour for. He also wasn’t bad on a couple of face to face Off The Record segments I saw during the preseason.It seems that his popularity is going straight to his oversized crome-dome. And why is he always calling Tom Pyatt “Tommy Pyatt” like he’s a 12 year old kid, what’s up with that, it anoys the crap out of me.

I also agree that Gord Miller does an excellent job on the play-by-play but It would serve him better with a colour man with less of an ‘I know more than everyone’ attitude.

31. Mrhab24 says:

HAHAHAHA

…I’m on a horse!

32. avatar_58 says:

I’m sorry the devils? What place are they in again?

33. bigjames says:

cuz the fans voted and they don’t know how to spell wis’s name. neither do i for that matter. but i am with you 100% on that one… and i am a bug price fan…

34. SmartDog says:

I think there should be a club for people that hate McGuire.  Or a category of mental illness.

I’m going to go ahead and say it: I actually like McGuire.  Yes, he’s sometimes annoying, and some of the things he says are just flat wrong.  But at least he knows the game and now and then says some intersting stuff.  He puts it out there more than a lot of analysts, and though hyped he sounds genuine and not fake.  What’s the alternative Darren “plastic-man” Draeger?  Jeez-Louise that would be terrible.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

35. habfan53 says:

First let me say this is not a bash on Carey Price but how does he get the third star last night? If the fans are going to do the voting then they should be fare about it. This is two games in a row that it is a one goal game with less than 2 minutes left  and in both games all three stars are Canadiens.  We as Montreal fans claim to be the most knowledgeble but in 3 star voting that does not seem the case. It looks like we are protectionists

Last night Price got the job done but since when does a goalie who allows 3 goals on 21 shots get a star?

I think Weisnieski or even Roloson from the Islanders or even our reborn favourite AK deserved the 3rd star.

36. Xtrahabsfan says:

Although I’m happy we’re winning I just would love to see how we play vs St Louis,Chicago,Vancouver,Boston,Tampa again ,THE Sharks,The Kings,the Devils again,Detroit and Dallas….then we will really know…..Like I said I have found the opposition WEAK but a confidence builder.I really want to see us play the Avery Rangers just to see what happens when Avery meets P.K.”THAT WILL BE FIRE!”

37. SmartDog says:

5 (EASY!) TRUE/FALSE QUESTIONS:

1. The Halak trade looks like it was a smart one: Eller is looking like he’ll blossom, Price has come back strong, and it helped secure Plekanec, our best player through the first nine games.

2. Moen was making things happen out there on the 2nd line, no question…. but it took a set-up from the Mechanec for him to score. Nevertheless, Moen is the best fit on the 2nd line

3. Martin’s ‘system’ is a major part of what is making this team successful.

4. Thanks to better team cohesion and some extra muscle packed on Subban and others, this year’s Habs won’t get pushed around by the Flyers.

5. Gionta is not snake-bitten, he’s freaking Tyranosaurus Rex bitten!  But he gets one tomorrow night.

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

38. mike g says:

Morning folks…

So I was so happy to be able to watch the game on TSN HD last night. I turned the Bell onto channel 850, and watched the marvelous crystal clear broadcast for about 20 minutes…

What? Mike G, you were so happy the game was on TSH HD, but yet you only watched 20 minutes of it?! Why?!!

Pierre McGuire, that’s why.The most annoying person on all of television.

What happened to this guy? He used to be a very interesting person to listen to, and I’d often even stay in my car longer just to listen to him. But now, he’s just one annoying idiot.

He knows his hockey, don’t get me wrong. He just doesn’t know how to properly deliver his incredible knowledge without sounding like a total douche. Pierre always sounds like Mr Know It All, and I think it’s only a matter of time before TSN gets rid of him. Sometimes I’m watching the Hockey Panel with him, Mckenzie, Dregger, etc….And Pierre always manages to go get mad and go against what one of the other guys is saying. It seems like the other members of the panel are even annoyed of him. And, not to mention he looks really funny on tv.

And this is a shame for TSN. They put together such great broadcasts and stuff, but when Pierre does a game on TSN I just refuse to watch. Yesterday in the 1st period, I counted how many times he named a US high-school, university, college, and/or a minor league team. Once I reached 17, I just stopped. We don’t care where every single player played, Pierre. Sure you know it all, and want to tell us, but were fed up. Going on and on about Boston college and stuff, just give it a rest.

Anyways, I’m glad TSN will broadcast alot of Habs games, but I’ll only watch when it’s the Randorf-Johnson duo doing the games. And that’s a shame, because Gord Miller is a treat to hear doing the play-by-play.

Too bad that chrome-dome Pierre has to ruin it….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

39. Mark C says:

Half of what you wrote isn’t true or hasn’t happened, you realize that right?

40. JohnBellyful says:

Loved what I saw of the game last night (had to miss the third period). I can’t remember the last time I watched a Habs game that didn’t include a few ‘Gimme a break’ and “You gotta be kiddin’ outbursts because of player gaffes but there was none of that from what I saw. Makes one feel optimistic about the team’s chances this season, at least until the tough part of the schedule comes along – including 7 away games in 13 days to finish out December. And, as others have pointed out, we haven’t even played the Bruins, Caps or Flyers yet.
    If possible, given cap considerations, would it make sense to expand the roster by one and keep OB and Picard with the team? They could practise as a pairing and spell Spacek and Hammer every fourth game, just to keep the younger players active and to give the older D some rest, so they’re fresh for the playoffs.
    At the very least, Spacek and Hammer could benefit from being sat down periodically, by whatever arrangement, to keep their batteries charged. It would be good if it could be done in such a way to help out with OB’s development – if that’s at all feasible — and to keep Picard in playing shape.
    And if OB is dressed, try him upfront on the power play to serve as a screen and to knock over a few of the opponents like bowling pins when he falls (and why hasn’t Pouliot been used for that very purpose?)

41. habs001 says:

the pp need to start clicking as last night showed that you can dominate a team but you lose the pp vs pk stats you have a nail biter…you may get away with it vs the weaker teams but on most nights not vs the top teams…eller very young and has looked good but my concern is that in his last 6 years of hockey he has 93 goals but he had a good year at the ahl last year….i am not sure that he will be a goal scorer but can be a very solid centre…

42. FB says:

We need to take a page out of the Islanders PP playbook.  They ALWAYS had a man standing right in front of Price on the power play and fired pucks at the net.  We have plenty of guys who could stand there.  Moen, Laps, Halpern.  Hell we could put O’Byrne back in the lineup only for power plays and put him in front.  our power play guys…. Pleks, Cammi, Gio, Gomer are not tall enough.  AK could do it but he is much more useful on the outside.  What is Martin’s email….. countdracula@canadiens.com????

FB

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Of course, drafting Drew Doughty, Shea Weber and Duncam Keith would have been a better plan.

44. HabFanSince72 says:

He was just using the Leafs to make a point about not getting carried away after a few games.

That being said, I admit to enjoying seeing the Leafs fail.

Call me petty.

45. Xtrahabsfan says:

Agree 100%

46. fun police says:

you are complaining about 7 defensemen that have done nothing at the nhl level so far.  who cares.  o’byrne may turn out, but he’s definitely been given a chance over the years.  weber and carle have tried for two years to make the leap with no success.  fisher is a bust, it happens.  mcdonagh and higgins for pyatt and gomez, that is an easy trade.  yemelin makes more in the khl than he would in the nhl.

i can’t stand this random “y’a but” posts.  i’d take gill, georges, subban, markov over any of those guys anyday.  hammer has been good, sometimes great while he was a hab.  spacek was very good in the playoffs and played a big role while markov was gone.

47. joeybarrie says:

Reply from below…

Price’s SV% is not spectacular…. SO FUNNY. Last season when the PRO-Price were saying that very thing but the team was losing, everyone was saying the W was all that mattered. Now Price is NUMBER ONE in W’s and we are saying his SV% should be higher… I mean can the kid catch a break at all??? His play has been great. We have had some unlucky goals hit 4 sticks and a cameraman go in on him. Especially vs Tampa where we should have won. But to be quite honest, if this is as unlucky as we are goin to get I am happy.

Good points from those saying you can’t include goalie’s who have had only 4 games… Well exactly, if you took out the two goalie’s who havent even started 3 games then Price would be in the top 20… He has played some HOT offensive teams and we came out ahead.

So happy to be on top looking down. I really felt like we would be undrperforming. But so far we are doing well. Best part is Gionta and Gomez havent hit the high gear yet, and we are about to get our best player back.

So I ask this question based on my prediction before the season began… To ALOT of people telling me I had rose coloured glasses on.

-How can anyone say we are not able to end up in the top 10 in the league this season?

I know we haven’t won anything yet… Except 6 games… But the point is we are capable. We aren’t hoping to get lucky, we aren’t chasing like we have done in the past. We aren’t waiting to catch breaks. We ABSOLUTELY can win our division and end up in the top half of our Conference. I don’t know if we will. BUT WE CAN.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

48. Mark C says:

Yes, day-to-day with a wrist injury.

49. habsguy says:

why can’t people just enjoy the show,  and who cares about the Leafs!!!!

50. habsguy says:

I didn’t mind the way Spacek played lastnight,  or the way Gill played!!!

51. fuhgawz says:

is Alex Avtsin injured? i see he has only played in 2 of the 7 bulldog games

52. Chuck says:

If I’m Minnesota management, I tell Allan Walsh to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. Then I hold Havlat back after practice and bag skate him for a half an hour. And when he asks the coach about why he was bag-skated, reply with “Ask your agent.”

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

53. Rocket fan says:

Its too early to get excited over the Habs record although I sure hope it keeps on going this way.  It is a diffeent habs team and game this year. The overall team D effort is better with great transition.  But things can go south in a hurry, just last week or so the leafs were 4-0.

54. VintageFan says:
    • Trade O’Byrne
    • Keep Weber and Carle in the Minors indefinitely
    • Let David Fischer go
    • Trade away McDonagh and Valentenko to the Rangers
    • Ignore Yemelin so that he plays in Russia

This is a “plan”?  For what, to have the most 40-year old slow defencemen in the NHL?  The current group of 7 boasts 6 lefties, and 4 in their 30’s – 3 over 35.  With this kind of future planning, the Habs’ best shot at a championship is last year.

55. habsguy says:

I’m NOT chillin,  I’m enjoying the ride…….

56. bigjames says:

i am a big moen fan. started with the corner gas episode.

but he has two questionable hits this year. hope it is just a wierd fluke. he is not the dirty kind of guy but hope he does not get that reputation. that goon from the iles who was jaw boning the habs in the warm up, and who waited for moen to come out of the box to figth him, is an ex team mate of moen’s as is wis, and wis went tin print to say how dirth the hit was (don’t agree myself) but the word is out on the street….

57. fuhgawz says:

this is a serious question:

Is there anyone in the NHL who falls as much as Benny? seriously this man has to be weak on his skates or needs new ones.

58. Chuck says:

Yep. Apples to oranges. As those other goalies play more minutes, their stats will settle back to where they should be. Neuvirth in Washington has had a great start, though.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

59. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not always able to glue my eyes on every minute of every game, as was the case last night. In what I did see was a better game from Spacek. However, he’s still real shaky in the defensive zone and I wouldn’t complain if he somehow magically disappeared and Picard remained in the lineup once Markov returned. The combo of Subban and Picard is pretty steady and I’d like to see it kept together. Spacek has lost “two steps” and is outmatched numerous times each night. Yes I know he’ll never sit or be sent down because of his contract but there sure are many fingernail biting moments when he’s on the ice.

Moen is an awesome 3rd liner and my dream 3rd line would consist of Halpern and Lapierre with the above mentioned Moen. I like the concept of putting a 4th line together that doesn’t see a heck of a lot of ice time that possess guys who are working on their offensive game. Putting defensive forwards with young hopefuls never really struck me as being productive.

60. StevieRay says:

Great game last nite but I ting Priceberg needs a nite off..

61. bigjames says:

i agree, we played really well. don’t get me wrong, i am super hyped about this team. they are really exciting and carry the torch well.

but to me the true test is in front of us, esp boston. i went to college in boston, and cannot describe in words the depth of my hatred for the bruins. but objectively, they have a pretty good team, and when we rack up a few wins against them, i will start to become delirious.

62. Lazarus_taxa says:

What is important is that Price ranks 1st in both GAA and save% among goaltenders that have played 9 games.  I find its so stupid to compare him to another goaltender like Thomas, who has only played 4.  He leads the NHL in TOI and wins.  I would say Price is doing pretty darn good!

63. notbigbird says:

Oh, let’s not chill this morning but just say that we did. I am liking the way they are playing, especially last night. IMO the score flatters the Islanders a bit. I’m sure there will be lots of games that do chill me, however. :)

64. bigjames says:

good morning to all in habs land. great morning, i love how the habs look this year. really exciting team and that’s what i want to see.

having said that, let’s chill a bit and listen to what the coach said.. we have not won anything yet. if we can do well (not necessairily win,  but compete well) against teams such as boston, philly, washington etc, then i will be literally foaming at the mouth. and lets not lose to the laffs again, ok?

but seriously, we have some tough hockey coming up, so lets keep our expectations in check just a bit. to me, the true test is the bruins. i must admit, i hate no team more than the beaners but they look good.

GO HABS GO!!!

65. avatar_58 says:

Oh no! We’re winning games without our goalie being spectacular? How horrible, we shouldn’t be able to win unless he gets shutouts!

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Stats are fine if you don’t have time to watch any games, or if we’re talking about baseball.

Otherwise they’re a weak guide at best.

67. idle says:

Who is the odd man out when Markov returns?

At 6-2-1 maybe Markov is the odd man out : )

68. Chuck says:

“Price’s numbers this season are not spectacular. His .913 save
    percentage leaves him out of the top-20, and his 2.32 goals against
    average out of the top-10.”

Nothing to worry about here. He’s 15th is GAA and 21st in SV%. If he holds those numbers for most of the season, we’re a playoff team. If he improves on them, all the better. Most of what’s got by him are deflections, screens, and point-blank shots… things that can be corrected with smarter defensive play (hello, Markov!) in front of him.

Besides… if Tim Thomas, Cory Schneider, Pekka Rinne, and Brent Johnson finish the season with save percentages over .950, I’ll eat my Henri Richard sweater.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

69. idle says:

I voted Wisniewski as first star.  He was amazing last night and although a handful of Habs played a good game the tallent was more spread out for them last night.

70. Harani says:

(Repost from last nite – Posted it like at 2am so you might have missed it)

Haven’t been here in a while coz of midterms and stuff but I just wanted make a comment on the complete change in attitude and vibe this season’s edition of the Habs are sending. It’s a kind of long post and very positive so trolls, don’t waste your time!

Every team has talented players and hardworkers, and high-paid players and low-paid ones. It’s the way these different individuals come together as a team on the ice is what shows you their personalities. And I think last year’s playoff run is a big contributing factor to the confidence and poise displayed by our Habs this year.

That basically translated into team spirit and everyone playing for each other. That’s why they chose to play hockey. It’s not like tennis where it’s you and only you.

The taps from Pleky to Price’s pads at the end of periods, Price talking to Auld a lot during TV timeouts, guys talking on the bench working things out, giving credit where it’s due, getting to practice before it starts (Pleky), just accepting their respective roles and fulfilling it to the best of their abilities without letting anyone down. I think the most important part is the trust these guys have as a group in Jacques Martin. Knowing that he’s drawn out a plan and it would be in their best interest to follow it. And the results are showing up.

Just today in his post-game presser (on the Habs Official Website), Mathieu Darche mentions how Pleky, Cammi and the top 5 forwards keep their shifts short and come back to the bench if there is no plays to be made. He reference Pleky just dumping the puck in and changing. He said that when you see your “best” player doing it, it keeps you in check.

So, the Habs are doing the small things right and it is taking them on a winning trail. Go Habs!

“It must be love!”

71. avatar_58 says:

Ugh Walsh. Aren’t you guys glad we rid ourselves of ALL those distractions? No disrespect to halak, but his agent is a tard.

72. Hobie Hansen says:

Damn right I’d rather hear their answers over McKenzie’s if it relates to a play that transpired during a game. McKenzie never played or coached, what does he know? If it’s a salary cap issue…sure ask Bob.

If you’re having problems getting lost, put down the bottle of Jack and put on a Habs jersey.

73. pic1983 says:

that was actually one of the most pathetic shootout attempts I have ever seen.  He came in so slowly.  his skating looked really off last night.

74. shiram says:

I agree, while penalty shots can be great and exciting, in some cases a powerplay would be better.

75. AndyF says:

+1 for your suggestion to offer the penalty option.

AndyF

76. dhenry1234 says:

Is that you Pierre Mcguire?

:P

I agree that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have the coach decline the penalty shot in favour of a 2 minute power play. I highly doubt that this will ever happen though. decades upon decades of hockey and this rule has never changed. I don’t see a change coming to penalty shots anytime soon.

77. secretdragonfly says:

LOL, guess I’ve been called worse but I can’t listen to Pierre except for when he covers the World Junior games.  For me that’s the only time where all the painstaking trivia he spouts is at least a bit interesting because most of us have never heard anything about the young players to that point.

78. HFX-HabFan says:

Except when he ruins the moment of key goals (IE Eberle game-tying goal in semis against Russia in ’08-’09 WJC).

79. HFX-HabFan says:

Yeah, that D in Chicago was really suspect…especially last year, when they gave up the least shots against/game in the entire NHL.  But that didn’t have anything to do with them winning the Cup, right?

(snicker)

80. TomNickle says:

It’s only semi-prediction with Tampa Bugs.  They’re allowing more than three goals per game.  They’ve had to pull their goalie at least three times thusfar and they can’t stop anybody from scoring on them.

Scoring droughts happen.  And when you run into teams that can score and shut down, you’re screwed.

As for Halak, yeah, I’d like to see the Blues win ONE game on the road before I start calling him a Vezina candidate.

The Devils are last through nine games.  I think I’ll wait until the 60-70 are completed before calling them a last place team.  Which I’m sure they won’t be.

81. Bugs says:

Well, how else should I have compared them to Tamper?

I had to compare them to Tamper to make my point. You don’t think I felt weird about it?

Besides, SOMEONE has to give up the least shots in the NHL; doesn’t mean it’s the reason they’re champs. I’d rather have Kane or Toews on my team than be one that “gives up the least shots”. No? If you always have the puck and you’re always scoring, how is the other team SUPPOSED to put up shots? Please.

Where’d you get these stats anyway?

82. Nilan4Pres says:

Why does Bugs all ways call Tom Nickle “Tommy” like he’s a 12 year old boy? that annoys the crap outta me :-P

83. Bugs says:

Why do you ask the question if you know the answer?

Hell-O!

84. Bugs says:

Wrong about what?

85. TomNickle says:

What’s the answer Bugs?

Not that it bothers me.

86. Bugs says:

I do it to annoy Nila.

87. TomNickle says:

Haha.  It’s nice to have bodyguards.

88. Nilan4Pres says:

My staff appreciate it. If I’m annoyed at you then I don’t have time to be annoyed with them.

89. habfan53 says:

He’s looking for ” HARVEY”

90. avatar_58 says:

Be that as it may, Gomez keeps passing to an invisible winger or d-man. I’m not sure who he thinks is back there, but perhaps a shrink is in order. That imaginary friend of his is causing trouble.

91. pic1983 says:

The biggest frustration for me with Gomez is that he plays like he’s on autopilot.  Like instead of looking and adapting to his linemates, he just seems to do his thing and make passes to places where there is no one to receive it.  I just don’t get it….

As for Gionta, the guy needs to change his stick or his curve.  The guy is getting his chances, but he can’t put the puck where he wants it.

92. Storm Man says:

Hard to say what the Devils are going to do, But the Devils need to make a few more roster move’s if they want to make the playoffs this year.

93. Say Ash says:

I’m not arguing whether or not the Devils are better than the Islanders. But I’d cringe if we finished first and had to face the number-eight Devils in the first round, that’s for sure. I just think it takes a tour around the conference, or even division, before you can assess where we shape up and if we’ll be able to take points from teams that we couldn’t take them from last year. So far, we can’t. I’m really looking forward to the first Philly game, regardless of how they’re doing against other teams.

94. light_n_tasty says:

But they beat us 3-0, so…

95. mike g says:

The Pittsburgh Pirates are the worst team in the MLB for the past 14 years…

Yet they swept the Yankees this year in their 3 game series…And we can all agree NY is the better team, right?

Sh*t happens, it’s sports.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

96. mike g says:

Look..

I agree with you assesment of our team. Too early to judge fully, but things are looking good so far.

I still don’t think we’ll be able to beat Boston for the division, but a 5,6, or 7 place is where we should be.

But the Devils this year, there’s just absolutely no positives there. They might turn it around, but that’s highly unlikely is you’re following their team and events surrounding them.

They shot sh*t at the fan, and now it’s blowing back into their faces.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

97. Storm Man says:

Does Washington still have a team?

98. TomNickle says:

Mike.  Your personal judgment of Kovalchuk is clouding your analysis of that team full scope.

You’re better than that.

99. TomNickle says:

Poking fun at the Devils could bite you in the behind come April Michael.

100. Storm Man says:

The only thing the Devil will be doing in mid April is golf.

101. TomNickle says:

People were saying that about the Habs at this time last year.

102. Storm Man says:

I want a list of those people…… But Tom have you watched the Devils, Not the Montreal game.

103. TomNickle says:

Yep.  They’re playing poor hockey right now.

But keep in mind that they have a lot of roster turnover(like we did), a new coach(like we did) and they’re gonna need time to put it together.

When they do, they’re gonna be a very tough team to beat.  If they can scratch and claw like our Habs did last year and make it to the playoffs, they will be very difficult to beat.

104. mike g says:

Tom, I’ve watched 6 Devils games this year…

There’s nothing there. No defense, no chemistry up front, nothing.

No sense of urgency either, that’s the biggest problem. When you have a record of 2-6-1, and you go play in SJ last night, that’s a huge game for the Devils. That’s a game where they need to win, beat a solid SJ team who’s always good at home, and use it to gel and become a team and turn the season around.

And what happened? 3-0 after the 1st period, and a 5-2 beatting.

No heart, Tom.

Jamie Langenbrunner looks like he’s finished, not as a player but as a Devil. He’s the captain of that team, and he’s showing zero leadership because he knows that when it’s all said and done, they’ll have to trade him in order to be under the cap and to re-sign Parise.

And you can thank Kovalchuk for that. That’s what he’s done to NJ, he’s killed everything that franchise has done over the past 6 years since they drafted Parise.

Maybe they shoulda given him $200 million, per year, for 19 years.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

105. TomNickle says:

PK’s gonna have a hard time winning Norris trophies with Keith, Weber, Johnson, Myers and Doughty in the league.

106. habfan53 says:

Alexander Picard is a +6 and leads dmen.

107. JD_ says:

And Keith is gonna have a hard time winning Norris trophies with Weber, Johnson, Myers, Doughty, and PK in the league.

108. TomNickle says:

I’m sorry but PK isn’t Doughty, Weber or Johnson more specifically.

But Keith, you’re talking about the best defenseman in the NHL, no contest.  Not even close.  Best defensively, best offensively.

PK will have to wait about ten years to have a shot at it.

109. Storm Man says:

The best post of the day…..” 10 games is enough to estabish a pattern”….. I see Bin Laden won’t win mad man of the year.

110. Bugs says:

Now do Myers!

111. JD_ says:

Glad you agree.

Bit of a roundabout way to go about it, but just the same.

112. Say Ash says:

Ryan O’Byrne is well aware.

113. HFX-HabFan says:

No matter what, Canada will have a heck of a blueline at Sochi 2014.

114. JD_ says:

Was gonna add Percival, but the kid’s still playin’ pee-wee.

115. ooder says:

i have a better solution i just don’t know who to tell it to

——————

88 is the new 23

116. Say Ash says:

Want a pattern? We’re beating teams we beat last year and losing to teams we lost to least year.

117. TomNickle says:

We lost to the Senators more often than not last year.

118. notbigbird says:

Elpou debates? Benlar?

119. Bugs says:

Ah, maybe you’re right and Carey Price still sucks, is immature, and can’t deal with the pressure.

These 10 games don’t mean nuthin. No pattern emerging at all.

120. TomNickle says:

Yes they will.  I just hope Hab fans won’t hold it against the GM when Subban isn’t picked.

121. Say Ash says:

For what it’s worth, I like your blog better than Bin Laden’s.

122. ooder says:

we beat the senators and sabres

also during the regular season the pens dominated the habs and we won again.

*edit* that was a response to the guy above u not u, sorry

——————

88 is the new 23

123. Bugs says:

Just heard Auld gets next start.

124. Bugs says:

Well, he doesn’t put pictures up and his font is all wrong; I got him beat all day.

125. Storm Man says:

You’re words bugsyboy. Im glad you have changed you’re mind when it come’s to Price as I recall you were having a fit when H-Word was traded and saying Price was immature and could not win for the Habs. I think you’re internet celebrity is making you forget things.

126. habfan53 says:

I am hoping Spacek is also

127. TomNickle says:

We didn’t lose every game but we lost the majority of our games last season to the Senators and have gone 2-0 against them this season.

The point is that you can’t evaluate teams we lost against and won against last season against teams we’ve beaten and lost to this season through 9 games.

128. Storm Man says:

The day you beat me at anything ( But acting like a clown) Is the day I give up.

129. Say Ash says:

I thought “Shpacheck” looked pretty good last night.

130. Say Ash says:

OK, OK, I give up. I guess it just felt that way. But that Devils loss really bothers me, and the longer their win column stays frozen the worse it gets.

131. Say Ash says:

Who’s Auld?

132. Storm Man says:

When he did not have his stick and was kicking the puck with his skates. That was him at his best.

133. HFX-HabFan says:

Having a RH shot might actually hold Subban back.  Doughty and Weber are locks, then you have Seabrook, Myers, maybe an aging Dan Boyle and a hopefully healthy Brent Burns to also think about.  And those are just the right-handed shots.

134. Bugs says:

I never said that about Price. I never expostulate on the future. Ever.

Pure fabrication on your part. Again.

But this is how you argue, kid, so I’m not too upset.

135. TomNickle says:

Yep.  The one thing he has going for him is that he’s thrived on the international stage.

136. TomNickle says:

I don’t think Seabrook or Boyle have a chance though.

137. Bugs says:

You’re buying into this child’s horsespit, Shully.

Yeah, I lost my mind with the Halak trade. I STILL maintain we were robbed and that it was a terrible mistake.

But what the child is accusing me of, and what I vehemently deny, and what he CANNOT PROVE, is that I never projected Carey’s efficiency IN THE FUTURE.

I never said “he won’t be able to do this” or “he’ll never able to do that”.

Never.

Ever.

About anyone.

So you and your fabricating best friend can make up your own stories and put words in my mouth all you want, but don’t involve me in your bullspit lies, ok? How does that sound?

Great.

138. Mattyleg says:

Où ça?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

139. Say Ash says:

To be sure, he’s had a rough start and has set the bar pretty low, but he picked off a few guys and created quick rushes the other way – especially in the first period.

140. Storm Man says:

I hope Doughty is on the team on 2014. But he is out with a concussion and if he suffers another one the swelling factor goes up 4 times. I hope this is not the case with him but it is something to watch over the next couple of years.

141. HFX-HabFan says:

Someone’s a bit testy today.

142. Mattyleg says:

(sorry dude, “your” = belonging to you, “you’re” = you are. It’s even easier to write! Hate to be a stickler, but you used it three times in a row. Just a heads-up)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

143. Bugs says:

990.

144. Storm Man says:

Waitaminnit waitaminnit you catch bullet’s with your bare hands? Bugsyboy the only one on here acting like a child is you. Try and recall what you have said recalibate the frequencies stop you’re regurgitated armchair logic try and enjoy life as I do it is quite exhilarating. Enjoy life stop trying to be a internet celebrity. Zowieeeeeee

145. pic1983 says:

Pretty hard to say that keith is the best “no contest”.

146. Storm Man says:

Bugsboy I love it when you’re not telling the truth about something. You always comeback with” This is how you argue kid so I’m not upset” No fabrication on my part just celebrity show from you.

147. Storm Man says:

Thanks. I should slow down next time.

148. Bugs says:

I always do this and I always do that aaaand you can’t prove d*ck.

Gotcha.

149. TomNickle says:

Not really.  The only player close to him is Weber and Weber can’t match his speed.

It sets him apart.  He’s elite in everything, no holes.

No other defenseman in the league is elite in every category that you could evaluate him in.

150. samTHEman says:

lol Elliot. I like Pouller. There’s already an Elliot in the league, and we stoned him twice!

151. Bugs says:

The kid can’t even follow his own thread; it’s amazing…

152. Bugs says:

That’s your proof?

BWAAAA-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa!

Oh. My. Gosh. You’re incredible. So to recap: You have absolutely no proof that I ever projected on Carey’s abiltity in the future except a limerick that makes fun of him getting the flu???

(guffaw!) Oh, man, I know I shouldn’t laugh cuz you,re just a kid who has no conception of proper rhetoric but the truth is, I don’t even have to ridicule your made-up horsespit anymore; you come PREPARED with nonsense and call it “nailing me”.

HAAA! (sorry, sorry, it’s just…I mean, this is becoming a farce, kid)

One day, kid, when you grow up, you’re gonna look back on this failure of yours with total shame, I’m sorry to say.

Learn to argue!

(scoff)

153. Storm Man says:

So you’re saying you never had a fit when H-Word was traded? and the fact you did not say Price could not lead this team. I just want to be clear on this matter before your d*ck is knocked into the dirt.

154. samTHEman says:

Let’s get on a plane and take out his legs. No wait he’s in my pool lol. Seriously though, there are always injuries.

155. Storm Man says:

Nice come back……. now go whipe that off your chin”

156. Storm Man says:

Oh Bugsyboy horsespit you say…. here are 2 post you made about Price that I just got from a email from someone on here. It goes like this. 10/06/2010 at 13:01 There once was a kid with the flu who contracted it outta of the blue. Some speculate twas a matter of fate that thwarted him the year before too. 10/06/2010 at 11:33 Who gets the flu in October? Honestly. Anyone else get the flu in Charlevoix( or wherever) or just our starting goalie? put a scarf on DUMMY! Oh and not forget about you’re the flu is for suckers post that day also. So as you can see Bugysboy you now have been nailed with a bullet and could not catch it with you’re bare hands this time……… “That’s all Folks”

157. sholi2000.com says:

Ok that’s funny.  I too remember the almighty wabbit losing his mind.  I love how all these people now say “oh I was behind Price all the way”.

They Call Me Shane

158. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban’s going to be much, much better than Seabrook in 4 years. Seabrook is pretty good, but he’s enjoying Keith making him look fantastic with their duo.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

159. Storm Man says:

Waitaminnit Waitaminnit…… My mistake I see you can’t help yourself, a rabbit with a habit that clears things up. Learn to tell the truth next time. Ooops, Guess you don’t know how yet.

160. JD_ says:

* Ya know, PK Subban needs to shut his yap and learn to respect the ways of the league. Someone needs to take him down a few notches and put him in his place. Nah, just kiddin’. I look forward to the future Norris Trophy winner makin’ an appearance on Coach’s Room, havin’ Don Cherry grovel some half-hearted “I was always a big fan” BS, then watchin’ as PK shoves a pie in Don’s face, followed by a full-on piledrive to the studio floor. Soobs put on quite the show last night – admittedly, some of it due to havin’ to cover for his own mistakes – includin’ what I contend had to be one of the most impressive, bowl-through-everythin’-and-everyone shifts I’ve seen out of a Habs D-man since Big Bird’s days. At times, I could have sworn PK’s twin brother PB (Poindexter Bentley) was on the ice at the same time.

* Tomas Jagr is ridiculous. He did more settin’ up last night than you’ll witness durin’ a full season of The Sopranos. Had Laps connected on the shortie, on a play that was eerily similar to the one precedin’ the Moen goal, the Bell Centre roof would have blown its rivets. The skill set, work ethic, poise, feistiness, and clear love of the uniform; what more could you ask for? The Habs have this Tomas dude under contract for six years? It might just be me, but I think that was a deft move. Ok, alright, his first-star-of-the-game puck-tossin’ was a bit off, primarily in the way he awkwardly had to get his stick out of the way while he fumbled the three pucks in his gloves – effin’ Martin is clearly droppin’ the ball if this stuff is not bein’ covered durin’ practices – but I’m prepared to cut him some slack.

* Spacecake was much better last night. Problem is, I don’t want to have think he was better, cause it means he was worse the previous game. Just give me consistently better, please. We know he has the capacity. At the end of the day, Cake’s stickin’ around and, given waiver considerations, I’ve got to wonder if OB is on the tradin’ block. Marky’s comin’ back and Picky’s been’ consistent, Although I agree with the notion OB should be used as a spare to allow either Romy or Cakey to rest up durin’ the long season, the competin’ reality is OB’s a $1.4M cap hit and, as well, a 26 year-old, 6′ 5” D-man has perceived value in the league. One of these two considerations is goin’ to eventually win out. Either way, for the time bein’, Ryan’s gonna be makin’ a lot of paper airplanes. A lot.

* Anyone else hear the inevitable Eller v. Pouliot controversy roarin’ down the tracks? Put yer ears down on the rail, cuz this one’s a juggernaut-a-comin’. As we speak, mounds of data are bein’ carefully massaged and biases finely honed. I’m callin’ it the Elliot Debates, although am arguably usin’ the latter term very, very loosely.

* Boston’s gonna kick the Mopey Loafs’ teeth in tonight. How do I know this, you ask? Cuz the Mopey Loafs are a shameful collection of overpaid douchef***s who deserve nothin’ better than to have their teeth kicked in. This, my friends, is top-shelf hockey analysis.

161. JD_ says:

When Gauthrie first said that it was in the dressing room that Matrin had his players earlier taking the way around the boards, it was Price who didn’t play in the game that was behind the whole thing with Gomez. This is why Pouliot isn’t going to have to make the decision when the players first talk to the guy who said Gainey was the GM’s first choice. This is like when Johnny Bucyk had the same role with Bobby Schmautz. So, whatever happens, it’s like I told you before. Muler and Pearnn will be the first to go if Gorges and management don’t have the same play as when it first happened, before Martiin works the PP to that point where it isn’t falling to the second line. Told you so.

162. HFX-HabFan says:

Ok, I’m literally wiping away tears after that one.  Awesome!

163. fbkj says:

can we cut off internet access to iqaluit plz

164. HFX-HabFan says:

I come away from reading your posts (multiple times) and still don’t know what exactly you’re directing towards my post, let alone what you’re trying to say altogether.  Care to try again?

165. Storm Man says:

You’re the man of the moment………………… Ooops, Moment’s passed

166. joeybarrie says:

Price is struggling?

Thats the only thing I can understand in this post. The rest is jibberish.

Lose today to win tomorrow? WERE WINNING, so what do you mean?

Price Experiment???? His SV% lifetime is .912. TOP 20 in the league and he is only 23. Experiments are something you TRY. A goalie who has played 162 games with you is not something we have TRIED…

ILL GO WITH WHAT I SAID ABOUT YOU LAST TIME…. Have you ever posted something without including Price, Halak or Gomez’ salary??? Nice to see BG escaped this one…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

167. HFX-HabFan says:

They never have played on the same team in a regular season or playoff game, which is what you were trying to say.  Roloson was dealt from the Wild to Edmonton in ’05-’06, while Pouliot was still in junior.

168. Bugs says:

Don’t tell me what I was “trying to say” when I said they played together, Effie.

They played together.

Rollie knows him.

That’s it.

169. HFX-HabFan says:

Care to show me a boxscore from a September 2005 preseason game to prove it?  Otherwise, you’ve got nothing.

170. Bugs says:

So Rollie doesn’t know Poolio from Minny enough to know he could get into his head?

gna-gna…”i got nothing”… How old are you, Effie?

Sheesh, grow up.

They played together in Minny. Practice, on the plane, who cares? Rollie knows Poolio from Minny, ok? Accept it.

171. HFX-HabFan says:

They didn’t play together in Minneosta, unless you’re counting training camp 2005, and even then, it’s doubtful the two would have come into much contact (Pouliot would have spent most of his time at rookie camp).

172. mike g says:

Maybe, but Rollie looked really pissed after the penalty shot..

I think he’s realizing he’s playing the last few years of his NHL career playing for a franchise who’s arena doesn’t even have running water in it.

Poor guy….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

173. Bugs says:

I think he was just putting the fear of gosh into him because he figured it might work.

174. Bugs says:

So they didn’t play together unless you count the time they played together?

Ok.

I guess they didn’t play together then.

175. adam76 says:

The fans picking the three stars has to go.  All three from the home side on a 5 – 3 game?

Let Boone pick em.

176. Mike Boone says:

They can’t afford me

177. larisalapointe says:

If the Islanders had won, Wiz would have been a star. Since the beginning of time, the winning team has had that advantage.

But times are a changin’. There are tons of reality shows where the public votes and not necessarily the best win. Hockey is no exception. Was Price great last night? Yes. Was Wiz better? Maybe, but his team lost. I wasn’t thrilled by the novelty of having fans vote for the 3 stars but I soon realized it’s only because I was stuck in the tradition. Today’s hockey generation is not stuck in the old ways. They are all walking around with iphones, ipads and i somethings.

Anyways, I could write a thesis about this, but gotta go to work.

178. RGM says:

It’s a good morning. Habs have taken 6 of 9, Price is playing excellent, Gorges is his usual self, Subban’s continuing to impress, and we’re on the cusp of having Markov back in the lineup. There are a couple areas that need to be improved, but right now the Habs are getting most of the big things right.

179. adam76 says:

6 – 2 – 1 without Markov.  6 – 2 – 1 with an underachieving Gomez and Gionta.  An accomplishment to say the least.

180. SmartDog says:

Some NHL news:

The NHL and the NHLOA (refs) reach a new deal:

Apparently it includes the stipulation that the refs start to pay attention to what’s happening on the ice.

The refs also agreed to having their eyes checked every 20 years, while the league has agreed to provide white canes and seeing eye dogs for all those who need them.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

181. Habhopeful says:

Im not sure if im allowed to do this or not, if not, apologies in advance…

But I bought 4 tickets to the Montreal Canadiens Festifan, and I cant go, its Sunday Nov 7th, 2010, I would just like to get my money back so Im selling them at Cost, @ $15/Ticket….although I want to make sure I atleast get my money back, if you buy all 4, Ill sell them to you for $50…

Here’s a link to the info, Looks like a lot of fun, especially for families

Contact me if your interested…

So stoked about this season so far! PK PK PK! GO Habs GO!

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

182. joeybarrie says:

I certainly don’t want this place turning into STUBHUB II. However, I think this is a great forum to do exactly what you did. Offer your tickets because of your circumstance. ONCE, and leave it at that. Maybe again later for a different crowd. I see nothing wrong with this. Good luck. If I was in town that week I might be inclined to check it out…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

183. pierre lapuck says:

I think the 3 star thing is for the fans anyway so why not let them vote.  The players know in the room who deserves credit or special notice for their play.  Let the fans enjoy themselves; in this connected-I-always-have-a-say society there’s a lot wordse things the fans could have say over.

184. JustSomeguy says:

Did Lyle Odelein, another scrappy guy from SK (it’s redundant to say “rural” and “Saskatchewan” :D ), ever get a Gordie Howe hat trick?

185. dwgs says:

Don’t know about the Gordie Howe hat trick but I do remember Odie getting the other kind of hat trick.  The interview afterwards was hilarious.

186. idle says:

I’m sure he must have.  Lyle is one of my all time favorite Habs but chances are that if he did get one it was after he left the CH.  He started to put up a few more points later in his career.

Shoutout to Martin Havlat.  You haven’t scored in 8 games and only have 19 shots.  All of this at $6m a year.  Is that because you only get to play 14 minutes a game, or do you only play 14 minutes because you have no goals so far this season?  Just askin’.

Pat Hickey mentiones sending down O’Byrne or Picard.  I don’t think we can do that.  They both would have to clear waivers and some team is going to grab them.  We then lose an asset for nothing (shades of Beauchemin) and no longer have any depth on the blueline (oustide of Weber).  I say stay with what we have (there isn’t a cap problem) and wait until someone gets hurt.  The guys who sit out might be pissed but that’s the way she goes Ricky.

188. MikeL says:

lol, love the Ray from TPB reference.

189. joeybarrie says:

Didn’t you know that Havlat was Minni’s GOMEZ??? His job is to pass the puck to Latendresse…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

190. HabFanSince72 says:

Molson’s can’t afford “all the beer you can drink”?

191. Mike Boone says:

Like I would drink that swill.

192. Fire_Laraque says:

I don’t care who you are, that’s funny right there.

193. Dave Stubbs says:

Wait’ll Boone shows up Saturday night at the Swill Centre and finds his accreditation has been revoked…

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

194. Fire_Laraque says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

195. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Good on ya Boone. Life’s too short to drink cheap beer!

Same rule applies to whiskey and whisky.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

196. Castor says:

Yes! I was going to come on here and say the same thing.

No Markov and GG line not producing and still winning. Hopefully it’s all uphill when everything falls into place

197. Dave Stubbs says:

Stubhub. What I use to cover the lugnuts on my car.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

198. Habhopeful says:

That what’s I’m goin for ole chap! I’ll repost this evening for the ones who aren’t early birds, just wanna get rid of these dan things!

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!”

~Rodney Dangerfield~

Thanks!  I’m not sure that I would want Ray as my dad but he would be a great, off-the-wall uncle!

200. mike g says:

What was the deal with Roloson last night?

When Pouliot went crashing into him, thanks to his own Islander teammate’s slash, Roloson went nuts and started puching him, starting a little fight in the Isles’ zone.

Then, Benny gets the penalty shot, Roloson makes the save, and gives Benny the “stare down”.

LMAO. What the heck was that about?

Who is this Rollie guy, and who’s he trying to intimidate?

I couldn’t stop laughing at that.

Poor old man, Roloson.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

201. MikeL says:

I was laughing too. It was as if he was a big shot, on a good team, in the playoffs, in game 7.

Instead, he was losing, he plays for the Islanders, it’s game 9 of the regular season, and it’s Dwayne Roloson.

202. HFX-HabFan says:

I like Roloson and thought he would have been perfect to bring in a couple summers ago to serve as a veteran mentor and platoon/backup for Price.  Sad that he’s being put out to pasture in Long Island, but he’s been a battler and a good hockey journey story (not unlike Tim Thomas).

203. secretdragonfly says:

Rollie was taking out his frustration on poor Pouliot and ended up making himself look foolish (aside from the penalty shot save).  Much as I like Benny’s hard work and effort, he’ll never be our shootout guy.  This just highlights the need for a rule change – the team being awarded a penalty shot should be given the option to decline, forcing the offending team to play shorthanded, providing more opportunities for a power play goal (or at least once our power play gets back on track).

204. Bugs says:

Rollie and Poolio played together in Minny.

He knew he could scare my boy into muffing his shot. Proceeded to do so.

205. since1988 says:

Love this team…hate waitint between game days

206. pic1983 says:

At least we are getting treated to 4 games in 6 days this week!

207. Duracell3 says:

He played okay, and not that great at the end, we have Huet and the Kovalev line to thank for that season. He has to be a consistent #1 goalie, which he has been this year and I see no reason we won’t continue to be.

208. HFX-HabFan says:

Who cares if Price wasn’t totally “on his game” last night?  Did anyone see the score?  We scored 5 goals!  Carey made a couple of big stops at the right time and the offense took care of the rest.

Honestly, for all the punks who were trying to put all the pressure on Price this season, the onus is on the offense.  Price only has to play as well as ’07-’08 (you may recall we had a conference-leading offense that year), and we’ll do just fine.

My biggest concern heading into the year wasn’t Price, it was our ability to score 5 on 5.  Looks like we’re faring well in that department; if our power play ever takes off (aka Markov returns), look out!

The division title is within our grasp!

209. nunacanadien says:

Ok, this Price protectionism is sad, Price is a team player, and we lost a good hot goalie because of Price, so be careful in that you don’t create another year of Price’s head games where fans worship Price, and crap all over the other fans who call the games for what they are, sucking games when we lose, not only as you state because of Price.  The other extreme is where there is so much Price worship in Montreal it all but changes how we look at other goalies like Halak.  It’s sad when a struggling goalie like Price has more precedence than a Halak.  Enuff said.  So management chose to lose today so we can win tomorrow, so now we’re into the fourth year of the Price experiment, and so far like other season Price starts strong, we await to see if he gets injured and repeats his headcase over that.

But when we overpay Gomez and can’t sign scorers that are available to complement Cammy it is sad.  At least Gomez is passing the puck and getting assists.

210. pic1983 says:

Ive always said that if this team learnt how to score, Price would win games.  Some nights hes stellar, and on the nights where he hasnt been, the team has battled for him and given him the goal support he needed.  Something they didnt do all of last season.

211. Bryan says:

Anyone else notice that Pouliot has more points than both Gionta AND Gomez?

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

212. habfan53 says:

Carey Price is point behind  Gionta, Spacek, Moen and Lapierre.  Tied with Eller, Gill, Darche,Picard and Boyd and ahead of O’Byrne and Pyatt.

213. Bugs says:

Did anyone NOTICE???

Yeah, mate, someone noticed. Trust me. Someone bloody well noticed.

Won’t say who though.

214. Bugs says:

Who the hell is Jane Findlay? At first, I thought “Oh cool, if anyone knows these monkeys, it’ll be her.” but then, I realized I was thinking of Jane Goodall. Hey, that reminds me: did y’all see that movie George of the Jungle? And at the end, the girl is marrying monkey-boy Brendan Fraser? And half the invitees at the wedding are high-society aristocrats, and the other half are apes and monkeys, and one of the upper-crust ladies turns to her husband and sniffs “Can’t you do something about all these monkeys? I feel like bloody Jane Goodall.” and one of the primates (think it was a gorilla), turns to her, and with a beautiful old-school brit accent, says “Pardon me, madam; I KNEW Jane Goodall, and you’re no Jane Goodall.”

Haaaw!

But I digress…

We don’t need the Kid to steal games; we just need’m to stop the puck. That’s what he’s doing. Has NEVER done it better. Halak didn’t “steal” every game he won last year. He just stopped the puck. All we ask.

Picard earned his spot because we’re not playing O’B. This isn’t Picard’s first go around the block. Nothing surprising to find out he can be efficient; he’s been in the League for years. Once Marky returns, however, all that was “earned” will promptly be lost. So something’s gotta give. Sad to see Picard go if it’s him.

If we gave the Kid the tools to succeed, we should certainly afford the guy picked ahead of him in the same draft that same privilege.

Sure, Eller is gettin better and better, but his productivity remains stagnant. Unlike my boy Poolio.

We have seen in the past that judging how we look against certain teams in the regular season means absolutely doodly-squat when it’s all on the line in the playoffs. So what if Washycity beats us 7-1 on Nov2nd (or whatever)? Soooo what?

The only way any opponent can win the 1st star as selected by the fans at the Bell is by scoring the OT winner. Otherwise, forget it. We want those pucks!

So anyway, this Jane Findlay seems nice. Regards.

215. avatar_58 says:

Yeah I saw that movie, don’t remember a damn scene. Probably for the best

216. joeybarrie says:

I can’t help saying this, because I still haven’t seen an answer. Eller has had half the ice time of GIO and only 1 less point. So why do we get upset at Eller, and Gomez….yet we don’t say anything about GIO. He has more shots than anyone on the team. Clearly Gomez is getting him the puck, but it’s just not working. Yet Gio gets a pass, and we bash Eller and Gomer…

MAKES NO SENSE. In the end I think it has to do with this. JOSH GORGES has 1 less point than CAMMALLERI. All teams need time for different things to work. It isn’t anyone in particular. Just a low streak for some and a high streak for others. Does anyone think MIKE GREEN will end the season with 14 POINTS, and MIKE KOMISAREK ends up with 41????  That’s what they are on pace for…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

217. Say Ash says:

I’m thrilled at the start they’re having, but they’re finding success against the same teams they did last year and still stuggling against they same teams they did last year. Until they start beating Jersey, Philly, and even the Leafs, this jury (of one) is still out.

218. mike g says:

Until they start beating Jersey?

As in New Jersey, the Devils?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA…….

Oh, good one Ash, good one.

Did you watch their game vs the Sharks last night? I can’t believe how terrible Parise and Kovy look this year. That shoulda been 80+ goals in the bank for the Devils this year.

The Islanders have a brighter future than the Devils.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

219. Bugs says:

Couldn’t escape it. Inflight movie. It was either that or jump. Oddly enough, I remember it having some big laughs in it. Better than I expected.

But never ran to see it again. Probably for the best. Figured it was the altitude that had me giggling in the first place.

220. TomNickle says:

I love how analysts go by a 10 game mark, a 20 game mark, an all-star break mark or trade deadline mark to evaluate a team and how they’re doing and also how individual players are doing.

1. Jaroslav Halak so far has been better than Price.  Maybe he has, but one goalie has won games at home and on the road, one hasn’t.  St.Louis can’t play the next 70 games at home, so before we give Halak the Vezina, maybe we should see if he and the Blues can right the ship away from Missouri.

2. The Devils are the worst team in the East.  Wrong.  Although they may not make the playoffs and will struggle under a new coach and an aging roster, they aren’t a worse hockey team than Ottawa, Atlanta, Florida, the Islanders, the Rangers and the Leafs.

The reason I say this is that because come playoff time, the mark of a good team is how difficult they are to play against, and the Devils will be a tough out.  They play hard nosed in your face hockey and they can score.

3. The Lightning are all the rage in the hockey world right now.  But they can’t keep a goalie in their net for 60 minutes and they have a group of defensemen that can’t stop anybody.  Take Martin St.Louis off of that team and they’re struggling to get out of lottery pick territory.  Sorry to burst the Guy Boucher bubble, but they, like Toronto, will have large losing streaks when their secondary scoring dries up because they won’t be able to stop anybody.

221. Jbird says:

Could not agree more.  The leafs might have more losing streaks than the Lighting though.  Something tells my McArtur won’t score 45 goals and you know that Colton Orr goal might not go their way everytime.  My point is the Leafs secondary scoring is literally a second guy who scores: Clark freaking McArthur.  Aye aye aye.

222. Bugs says:

10 games is enough to establish a pattern.

1) Whether goalies win at home or on the moon doesn’t affect the point system or the number of shots faced. I hear Luongo was extraordinary in Florida. He doesn’t have to better than so’n’so; he just has to stop the puck enough so that we can win. That’s what the Kid’s doing.

2) The Devils are last. For whatever reason. Nobody’s fault but their own. they’re last. They’re the greatest in the woirld? Fine. But they’re last. And come play-off time, they suck. Sooo…feh.

3) Tamper’s winning. You’re using your ability to see the future to criticize them, Tommy? C’mon. Non-stop offence, suspect D and no goalie? Gee, same could be said for Chick-Cago, no? Thing is, they WON’T take St-Louis the team. Why would they? He’s on the team. That’s the team. And they’re winning. Can’t hold that against’em.

The leafs, yes, you can hold that against’em. Colton Orr and the Toranna refs show us how they “win”. Them, you can bash because they insult hockey at every turn. Tamper’s not insulting anybody.

223. newbrunswick troy says:

our power play looks just a little better….but all in all still sucks!!!!!!!!!!

224. pic1983 says:

Markov alone will instantly take us from bottom of the pack to at least middle of the pack.

225. TomNickle says:

Our favourite loud mouth agent is at it again.

He is seriously going to talk his way out of the NHL’s good graces.

Teams will get to a point where they won’t sign his clients.  Mark my words.

226. pic1983 says:

Im gonna man up here and throw a bone to someone I have been very critical of, Mr. Jacques Martin.  Whatever he’s doing, its working.  Even with Gomez and Gio being useless (I think Gio should change his stick or at least his curve), and our powerplay being totally uncoordinated, were tops in the east.  We also aren’t giving up the amount of shots so far this season.  It’s a long season, and a lot can change, but I have to give some credit where credit is due.  Im still worried about his ability to draw up a game plan to beat a defensive minded team like New Jersey or Philly, but otherwise, good on him.  The room is solid, and everyone seems to be buying in.

Of course, Kostitsyn finally waking up and realizing he’s in a contract year is certainly helping our cause a lot…but Martin still deserves credit.

227. TomNickle says:

I had an inclination that our team would get to this point.  You have to remember that in Ottawa he had a lot of fire power and got them to buy into a fundamentally sound system and that they became consistently good.

I expect close to 100 points this year.  Hopefully he can prove again this season that strong goaltending can elevate his type of team into a consistent playoff performer.

228. JustSomeguy says:

I’m gonna be the guy in the nosebleeds at the Carolina game wearing an Odie jersey!

:D

And let us not forget he’s in the Habs’ record book for most points in a game scored by a D-man.