Three 3s

Three wins in a row, three Ws at home, three on the road.

And with nine games in the books, your Montreal Canadiens are first in the Eastern Conference.

Night of the Plumbers

Moen just misses Gordie Howe hat trick

O’Byrne, Picard on the bubble

• Arpon Basu on Carey Price and the D

• François Gagnon writes Markov is ready

James Wisniewski audio on the “inexcusable” Moen hit

Allan Walsh is at it again

Jane Findlay has this view from the Commentariat:

Who said Jacques Martin hockey was boring?  It’s
a very long time since we’ve been able to watch our team play such
fast, exciting, intelligent hockey on a regular basis.  Few people saw
this coming last year when the team took most of the season to gel, the
games were played largely in our zone, we were outshot night after
night, and we had no chance of winning if our goaltender wasn’t
outstanding.  Price is playing well, but, apart from the Pittsburgh
game, he’s not stealing the wins.  The whole team is contributing, and
everything from faceoffs to defensive zone coverage to the transition
game is much improved from last year.

Alexandre Picard has earned
his spot.  He’s not the fastest guy or the toughest along the boards,
but he makes intelligent plays and not many mistakes.  I thought when he
and P.K. started playing together that it was a risky pairing, but for
the moment it’s going surprisingly well.  Unfortunately he’ll probably
be on the bench when Markov comes back.  The RDS guys think it should be
Spacek who sits, but that’s not going to happen with his salary.
 However, Spacek was better last night; that penalty at the end of the
second period, which led to the Islanders’ second goal, was BS.

I
think it’s only a matter of time until both the powerplay and the Gomez
line unblock.  Our first powerplay last night looked great, and we
should certainly have scored.  P.K. hit the post, and Gionta missed a
certain goal.  We’re creating chances and moving the puck well, so I
think success is not far away.  The same goes for Gomez and Gionta, but I
wish JM would put Pouliot back with them and give the line a handful of
games before trying someone else.

Lars Eller had another strong
game and is visibly gaining confidence.  JM is managing his role and
ice-time well; perhaps the idea that he “ruins” young players, which
floated around all last year, will quietly go away.

We’re racking up the wins and looking great, but we have yet to play Boston, Washington or Philadelphia.

The
three-star selection is a joke.  How can fans not realize that it
becomes meaningless if we choose three of our own players in a close
game?  It’s true that we dominated the Islanders for long stretches, but
there’s no way James Wisniewski, with a goal and two assists, should
not have had a star over Price.

1. habs-hampton says:

Good one!!

2. Storm Man says:

Xtra…… You have big dreams in life.

3. habfan53 says:

Totally agree

4. Storm Man says:

What happened to your GQ man of the year pic? Did the fire take care of it.

5. Xtrahabsfan says:

None  are saying Price  is playing badly  but some M/F’s definitely wish too sleep with Carey 😉

6. habfan53 says:

Hey SD,  PK was there he was the 2nd star and he deserved it.

Hey. I lost my job because of the very same reason. The French claim to have an open society but they always circle the wagons to protect each other.

I posted some crap I heard about Halak and Price the first week I worked there and the posts were so offensive that they got deleted. The details of the post were apparently common knowledge, but only common knowledge if one was Quebecois.

I love Montreal but it’s because of Montrealers. I wish Montreal would separate from Quebec.

8. fbkj says:

meh

i just consider him to be the ben mulroney of hockey

9. light_n_tasty says:

1. False.  Shoulda, coulda, woulda got more for Halak.  I’m not saying we shoulda kept Halak over Price, but we shoulda got someone to play with Gio and He-Who’s-Contract-Must-Not-Be-Named.  We had cap room to get more.

2. False. Pouliot.

3. True.  Team D is Key.

4. False.  Our forwards have not changed.  They will continue to be pushed around by Pronger and Co.

5. False.  Just playin’ the odds on that one.

10. Hobie Hansen says:

This is my 3rd post today, lots of free time at work to read Habs’ stuff…

I wanted to comment on people bashing Pierre McGuire. I don’t always like every broadcaster or reporter on television but McGuire, c’mon man. This guy is Mr. Hockey as far as I’m concerned. I’ve lived in Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and grew up in Montreal. I listened to his early days on CJAD in Montreal and every city I’ve lived in he’s done a 20 minute spot on the sports radio stations each morning. He’s up and 5:00 AM every morning, studying the game by speaking to players, coaches and other reports. He loves the game more than anyone I’ve ever seen. I once heard him talking about his weekly schedule and between TSN, NBC and a pile of other responsibilities and he travelled back and forth across the country three times. He’s an ex coach and delivers an awesome opinion of what’s going on between the benches and on the ice. He gets worked up and acts silly sometimes but isn’t hockey supposed to be fun? People that bash him are probably the guys who like to grumble over the rules and the salary cap all day long instead of watching the games…

11. fbkj says:

what i hate most is in doing so, they end up throwing themselves under the bus

12. HFX-HabFan says:

He just tries way too hard, and then throws in terms that aren’t needed for hockey analysis.

I also loathe his need to tell us every player’s hometown or where they played junior- that was a HNIC thing (mostly Cuthbert, who ironically is now with TSN) long before McGuire ever started it.

13. TomNickle says:

You have to learn to laugh at McGuire.  Keep in mind that Pierre Gauthier fired him.

Saying Eller needs to be a goal scorer for the Halak trade to work out seems to be his calling card these days.  I’ve got news for him, it’s attitude like that which has resulted in his not being able to get a job with a professional hockey team.  A wet behind the ears legacy beat him out for the Wild job.  His candidacy for that job was only a publicity stunt.

And for people who say that he’s not like that off camera, you’re wrong.  His attitude is precisely what has kept organizations from hiring him.  He has a mentality that he should have the final say in all matters, tough position to take when somebody else is signing your paychecks and it isn’t your job to have the final say.

Nobody is alleging that people are saying that Price is not playing that good. However, a lot of people are alleging that people are saying that people are alleging that Price is not playing that good.

15. dhenry1234 says:

I agree with you in the fact that mcguire goes out of his way to point out useless and sometimes innapropriate information.

An example of innapropriate information was last night. I forget who the player was for the islanders but he started talking about him and the fact that there was a death in the player’s family or something to that regard. What does disrespectfully talking about a player’s family’s death have to do with hockey? If I was the player and heard mcguire talk about my personal life like that on a national broadcast I would literally smack him until he was KOed

16. mike g says:

Um, no..

Let’s not go there, alright.

I know that there are alot of people on both sides of the fence, english and french, that I don’t often agree with or like.

But my hate for the french media isn’t because of one guy. It’s because of their need to protect their own native Quebecois, and throw everyone else under the bus.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. HFX-HabFan says:

1- You need a few years before even beginning to answer this kind of question

2- False

3- True

4- False

5- True

18. habs001 says:

price has played very well and i supported keeping him over halak….it is still early in the season and we dont know what the final goalie stats will be but if halak has the same stats at the end of the season that he has now than we did not get full value for him…but i dont think both the blues and habs management believed that halak can have this type of season otherwise we would have asked much more for him and the blues would have given much more….

19. light_n_tasty says:

Nobody is saying that Price is not playing that good.  However, a lot of people are alleging that people are saying that Price is not playing that good.

20. mike g says:

Yea, Tommy Pyatt?..

I heard that one..

But the funniest thing was last night when he was getting all happy in his pants over Doug Weight. On the Islanders 1st PP of the game, he was going all crazy about him saying that Weight had made 4 great plays with the puck.

But what made that so funny is that those great decisions he made with the puck were all passes back to the point. Doug wasn’t in any sort of pressure situation, and was just doing that to open up the play. I’ve seen pee-wee players do that, but yet McGuire was all amazed.

Sometimes I feel as if he chooses certain players before the game starts, and all he’ll do is rave about htem all night long. And notice how he’s never once given Pleks props for all the great work he’s doing.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

21. HFX-HabFan says:

My three stars from last night:

1-Pleks, 2- Wisniewski, 3- Subban.  Honourable mentions to Moen and Roloson.

22. nunacanadien says:

1. The Halak trade is now being thought of to be a bigger mistake as Halak is mushrooming and blossoming in St. Louis, however, we shall wait and see if this is also the second year in which Price leads us to the conference finals only to be bumped early in the playoffs and Gauthier blows up the team later the year after, history repeats itself.  We become enthralled with what looks like a winner but which crumbles.

2. Moen could probably be a decent 3rd liner or even 4th, the one two punch to Subban, if only Moen was a few pounds heavier.

3. Martins system is probably not working well with power plays, five on five still, so I withold whether Martin’s system is working, we’ve been lucky in most of our wins to scrape by with power play goals.  We lose games where we rely on scoring five on five and hope that Price doesn’t let in more than 3 goals.

4. The habs are still small, or average to small, and will probably still get pushed around by the Flyers like they were against bigger teams.

5. Gionta if he keeps going like this will injure himself, in fact all of our shrimps get hurt easily, that is why they were so easy to sign, and we got ripped off by overpaying them, but Gionta has to snap out of his slump, as at least Gomez racks up the assists to explain part of his overpayment, but really, Gomez and Gionta are the engines of our offense but it gets overpowered easily with the bigger teams.  Perhaps Gomez and Gionta are worth what they are for the team effort they put in, but I would spend my money on real centres and real forwards, not cheerleaders or recruiters.  Since when does a pro player like Gomez make his living as a recruiter?

23. SmartDog says:

And Price well before his time.  Big mistake.

But it makes the point: the 3 star selection shouldn’t be done by the fans.  That’s a jerk-off move.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

24. fbkj says:

and yeah, i dont find were classy or knowledgeable, were excitable and passionate…

So is that why you hate the English Canadian media?

26. habs365 says:

I can’t figure you fans out, some of you is saying price is not playing that good. what games are you watching, I know I see a different price than you do. he’s doing fine, the overall team is playing well. with the exception of last night, we still have one scoring line, that can only last so long and the well is gonna run dry, what are we gonna do than. some how we’re gonna have to come up with a way to make a trade and I don’t have a clue where we’re gonna get a 20 goal scorer anything less than that it’s a waste of time, all you would be trading for is a different face, too much of that has happened in the pass, that’s why all our money is gone and we’ve only been able to ice a team good enough to make the playoffssome years. anything less than a stanley cup you’re just another team hoping your gonna luck in. if you don’t have a team with top six forwards and four good defenceman plus a very good goalie you’d better have lots of luck to win a cup.

27. Say Ash says:

Hey, we made Komisarek an all-star.

1. The Halak trade looks like it was a smart one: TRUE

It was a tough decision to make given Halak’s adoration by the fans, however it was a shrewd move which will pay of dividends as Eller looks like a keeper.

2: Moen is the best fit on the 2nd line: FALSE

That line needs a big body but a scorer. To me it has to be either Pouliot or Eller. Either that or break up Gionta and Gomez.

3. Martin’s ‘system’ is a major part of what is making this team successful: Not just TRUE but IS the reason

4. This year’s Habs won’t get pushed around by the Flyers: FALSE Habs still need a bruiser up front, a Canadian bruiser

5. Gionta gets one tomorrow night: Here’s hoping that’s TRUE

29. SmartDog says:

I agree Wiz-whatever-ski shoulda been there. And other guys mighta – PK probably.

But Price wasn’t far off. One of those goals was an impossible stop.  Several times he stoned the Isles (Tavares especially) keeping the Habs in it. And 9 games in a row is worth a few bonus points as well.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

30. Hobie Hansen says:

1. (Flase) I like Price in net but we should have gotten Perron in return.

2. (Flase) Moen is awesome but is a 3rd liner.

3. (True) Martin has a great mind for the game and is system is working well.

4. (False) We still need more size and can be pushed around by the flyers.

5. (True) Gionta is playing well and he’ll score in bunches shortly.

31. Nilan4Pres says:

I agree, altough I didn’t mind him too much the few games that I watched during the playoff last year that he was doing colour for. He also wasn’t bad on a couple of face to face Off The Record segments I saw during the preseason.It seems that his popularity is going straight to his oversized crome-dome. And why is he always calling Tom Pyatt “Tommy Pyatt” like he’s a 12 year old kid, what’s up with that, it anoys the crap out of me.

I also agree that Gord Miller does an excellent job on the play-by-play but It would serve him better with a colour man with less of an ‘I know more than everyone’ attitude.

32. Mrhab24 says:

HAHAHAHA

…I’m on a horse!

33. avatar_58 says:

I’m sorry the devils? What place are they in again?

34. bigjames says:

cuz the fans voted and they don’t know how to spell wis’s name. neither do i for that matter. but i am with you 100% on that one… and i am a bug price fan…

35. SmartDog says:

I think there should be a club for people that hate McGuire.  Or a category of mental illness.

I’m going to go ahead and say it: I actually like McGuire.  Yes, he’s sometimes annoying, and some of the things he says are just flat wrong.  But at least he knows the game and now and then says some intersting stuff.  He puts it out there more than a lot of analysts, and though hyped he sounds genuine and not fake.  What’s the alternative Darren “plastic-man” Draeger?  Jeez-Louise that would be terrible.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

36. habfan53 says:

First let me say this is not a bash on Carey Price but how does he get the third star last night? If the fans are going to do the voting then they should be fare about it. This is two games in a row that it is a one goal game with less than 2 minutes left  and in both games all three stars are Canadiens.  We as Montreal fans claim to be the most knowledgeble but in 3 star voting that does not seem the case. It looks like we are protectionists

Last night Price got the job done but since when does a goalie who allows 3 goals on 21 shots get a star?

I think Weisnieski or even Roloson from the Islanders or even our reborn favourite AK deserved the 3rd star.

37. Xtrahabsfan says:

Although I’m happy we’re winning I just would love to see how we play vs St Louis,Chicago,Vancouver,Boston,Tampa again ,THE Sharks,The Kings,the Devils again,Detroit and Dallas….then we will really know…..Like I said I have found the opposition WEAK but a confidence builder.I really want to see us play the Avery Rangers just to see what happens when Avery meets P.K.”THAT WILL BE FIRE!”

38. SmartDog says:

5 (EASY!) TRUE/FALSE QUESTIONS:

1. The Halak trade looks like it was a smart one: Eller is looking like he’ll blossom, Price has come back strong, and it helped secure Plekanec, our best player through the first nine games.

2. Moen was making things happen out there on the 2nd line, no question…. but it took a set-up from the Mechanec for him to score. Nevertheless, Moen is the best fit on the 2nd line

3. Martin’s ‘system’ is a major part of what is making this team successful.

4. Thanks to better team cohesion and some extra muscle packed on Subban and others, this year’s Habs won’t get pushed around by the Flyers.

5. Gionta is not snake-bitten, he’s freaking Tyranosaurus Rex bitten!  But he gets one tomorrow night.

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

39. mike g says:

Morning folks…

So I was so happy to be able to watch the game on TSN HD last night. I turned the Bell onto channel 850, and watched the marvelous crystal clear broadcast for about 20 minutes…

What? Mike G, you were so happy the game was on TSH HD, but yet you only watched 20 minutes of it?! Why?!!

Pierre McGuire, that’s why.The most annoying person on all of television.

What happened to this guy? He used to be a very interesting person to listen to, and I’d often even stay in my car longer just to listen to him. But now, he’s just one annoying idiot.

He knows his hockey, don’t get me wrong. He just doesn’t know how to properly deliver his incredible knowledge without sounding like a total douche. Pierre always sounds like Mr Know It All, and I think it’s only a matter of time before TSN gets rid of him. Sometimes I’m watching the Hockey Panel with him, Mckenzie, Dregger, etc….And Pierre always manages to go get mad and go against what one of the other guys is saying. It seems like the other members of the panel are even annoyed of him. And, not to mention he looks really funny on tv.

And this is a shame for TSN. They put together such great broadcasts and stuff, but when Pierre does a game on TSN I just refuse to watch. Yesterday in the 1st period, I counted how many times he named a US high-school, university, college, and/or a minor league team. Once I reached 17, I just stopped. We don’t care where every single player played, Pierre. Sure you know it all, and want to tell us, but were fed up. Going on and on about Boston college and stuff, just give it a rest.

Anyways, I’m glad TSN will broadcast alot of Habs games, but I’ll only watch when it’s the Randorf-Johnson duo doing the games. And that’s a shame, because Gord Miller is a treat to hear doing the play-by-play.

Too bad that chrome-dome Pierre has to ruin it….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

40. Mark C says:

Half of what you wrote isn’t true or hasn’t happened, you realize that right?

41. JohnBellyful says:

Loved what I saw of the game last night (had to miss the third period). I can’t remember the last time I watched a Habs game that didn’t include a few ‘Gimme a break’ and “You gotta be kiddin’ outbursts because of player gaffes but there was none of that from what I saw. Makes one feel optimistic about the team’s chances this season, at least until the tough part of the schedule comes along – including 7 away games in 13 days to finish out December. And, as others have pointed out, we haven’t even played the Bruins, Caps or Flyers yet.
    If possible, given cap considerations, would it make sense to expand the roster by one and keep OB and Picard with the team? They could practise as a pairing and spell Spacek and Hammer every fourth game, just to keep the younger players active and to give the older D some rest, so they’re fresh for the playoffs.
    At the very least, Spacek and Hammer could benefit from being sat down periodically, by whatever arrangement, to keep their batteries charged. It would be good if it could be done in such a way to help out with OB’s development – if that’s at all feasible — and to keep Picard in playing shape.
    And if OB is dressed, try him upfront on the power play to serve as a screen and to knock over a few of the opponents like bowling pins when he falls (and why hasn’t Pouliot been used for that very purpose?)

42. habs001 says:

the pp need to start clicking as last night showed that you can dominate a team but you lose the pp vs pk stats you have a nail biter…you may get away with it vs the weaker teams but on most nights not vs the top teams…eller very young and has looked good but my concern is that in his last 6 years of hockey he has 93 goals but he had a good year at the ahl last year….i am not sure that he will be a goal scorer but can be a very solid centre…

43. FB says:

We need to take a page out of the Islanders PP playbook.  They ALWAYS had a man standing right in front of Price on the power play and fired pucks at the net.  We have plenty of guys who could stand there.  Moen, Laps, Halpern.  Hell we could put O’Byrne back in the lineup only for power plays and put him in front.  our power play guys…. Pleks, Cammi, Gio, Gomer are not tall enough.  AK could do it but he is much more useful on the outside.  What is Martin’s email….. countdracula@canadiens.com????

FB

44. HabFanSince72 says:

Of course, drafting Drew Doughty, Shea Weber and Duncam Keith would have been a better plan.

45. HabFanSince72 says:

He was just using the Leafs to make a point about not getting carried away after a few games.

That being said, I admit to enjoying seeing the Leafs fail.

Call me petty.

46. Xtrahabsfan says:

Agree 100%

47. fun police says:

you are complaining about 7 defensemen that have done nothing at the nhl level so far.  who cares.  o’byrne may turn out, but he’s definitely been given a chance over the years.  weber and carle have tried for two years to make the leap with no success.  fisher is a bust, it happens.  mcdonagh and higgins for pyatt and gomez, that is an easy trade.  yemelin makes more in the khl than he would in the nhl.

i can’t stand this random “y’a but” posts.  i’d take gill, georges, subban, markov over any of those guys anyday.  hammer has been good, sometimes great while he was a hab.  spacek was very good in the playoffs and played a big role while markov was gone.

48. joeybarrie says:

Reply from below…

Price’s SV% is not spectacular…. SO FUNNY. Last season when the PRO-Price were saying that very thing but the team was losing, everyone was saying the W was all that mattered. Now Price is NUMBER ONE in W’s and we are saying his SV% should be higher… I mean can the kid catch a break at all??? His play has been great. We have had some unlucky goals hit 4 sticks and a cameraman go in on him. Especially vs Tampa where we should have won. But to be quite honest, if this is as unlucky as we are goin to get I am happy.

Good points from those saying you can’t include goalie’s who have had only 4 games… Well exactly, if you took out the two goalie’s who havent even started 3 games then Price would be in the top 20… He has played some HOT offensive teams and we came out ahead.

So happy to be on top looking down. I really felt like we would be undrperforming. But so far we are doing well. Best part is Gionta and Gomez havent hit the high gear yet, and we are about to get our best player back.

So I ask this question based on my prediction before the season began… To ALOT of people telling me I had rose coloured glasses on.

-How can anyone say we are not able to end up in the top 10 in the league this season?

I know we haven’t won anything yet… Except 6 games… But the point is we are capable. We aren’t hoping to get lucky, we aren’t chasing like we have done in the past. We aren’t waiting to catch breaks. We ABSOLUTELY can win our division and end up in the top half of our Conference. I don’t know if we will. BUT WE CAN.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

49. Mark C says:

Yes, day-to-day with a wrist injury.

50. habsguy says:

why can’t people just enjoy the show,  and who cares about the Leafs!!!!

51. habsguy says:

I didn’t mind the way Spacek played lastnight,  or the way Gill played!!!

52. fuhgawz says:

is Alex Avtsin injured? i see he has only played in 2 of the 7 bulldog games

53. Chuck says:

If I’m Minnesota management, I tell Allan Walsh to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. Then I hold Havlat back after practice and bag skate him for a half an hour. And when he asks the coach about why he was bag-skated, reply with “Ask your agent.”

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

54. Rocket fan says:

Its too early to get excited over the Habs record although I sure hope it keeps on going this way.  It is a diffeent habs team and game this year. The overall team D effort is better with great transition.  But things can go south in a hurry, just last week or so the leafs were 4-0.

55. VintageFan says:
    • Trade O’Byrne
    • Keep Weber and Carle in the Minors indefinitely
    • Let David Fischer go
    • Trade away McDonagh and Valentenko to the Rangers
    • Ignore Yemelin so that he plays in Russia

This is a “plan”?  For what, to have the most 40-year old slow defencemen in the NHL?  The current group of 7 boasts 6 lefties, and 4 in their 30’s – 3 over 35.  With this kind of future planning, the Habs’ best shot at a championship is last year.

56. habsguy says:

I’m NOT chillin,  I’m enjoying the ride…….

57. bigjames says:

i am a big moen fan. started with the corner gas episode.

but he has two questionable hits this year. hope it is just a wierd fluke. he is not the dirty kind of guy but hope he does not get that reputation. that goon from the iles who was jaw boning the habs in the warm up, and who waited for moen to come out of the box to figth him, is an ex team mate of moen’s as is wis, and wis went tin print to say how dirth the hit was (don’t agree myself) but the word is out on the street….

58. fuhgawz says:

this is a serious question:

Is there anyone in the NHL who falls as much as Benny? seriously this man has to be weak on his skates or needs new ones.

59. Chuck says:

Yep. Apples to oranges. As those other goalies play more minutes, their stats will settle back to where they should be. Neuvirth in Washington has had a great start, though.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

60. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not always able to glue my eyes on every minute of every game, as was the case last night. In what I did see was a better game from Spacek. However, he’s still real shaky in the defensive zone and I wouldn’t complain if he somehow magically disappeared and Picard remained in the lineup once Markov returned. The combo of Subban and Picard is pretty steady and I’d like to see it kept together. Spacek has lost “two steps” and is outmatched numerous times each night. Yes I know he’ll never sit or be sent down because of his contract but there sure are many fingernail biting moments when he’s on the ice.

Moen is an awesome 3rd liner and my dream 3rd line would consist of Halpern and Lapierre with the above mentioned Moen. I like the concept of putting a 4th line together that doesn’t see a heck of a lot of ice time that possess guys who are working on their offensive game. Putting defensive forwards with young hopefuls never really struck me as being productive.

61. StevieRay says:

Great game last nite but I ting Priceberg needs a nite off..

62. bigjames says:

i agree, we played really well. don’t get me wrong, i am super hyped about this team. they are really exciting and carry the torch well.

but to me the true test is in front of us, esp boston. i went to college in boston, and cannot describe in words the depth of my hatred for the bruins. but objectively, they have a pretty good team, and when we rack up a few wins against them, i will start to become delirious.

63. Lazarus_taxa says:

What is important is that Price ranks 1st in both GAA and save% among goaltenders that have played 9 games.  I find its so stupid to compare him to another goaltender like Thomas, who has only played 4.  He leads the NHL in TOI and wins.  I would say Price is doing pretty darn good!

64. notbigbird says:

Oh, let’s not chill this morning but just say that we did. I am liking the way they are playing, especially last night. IMO the score flatters the Islanders a bit. I’m sure there will be lots of games that do chill me, however. :)

65. bigjames says:

good morning to all in habs land. great morning, i love how the habs look this year. really exciting team and that’s what i want to see.

having said that, let’s chill a bit and listen to what the coach said.. we have not won anything yet. if we can do well (not necessairily win,  but compete well) against teams such as boston, philly, washington etc, then i will be literally foaming at the mouth. and lets not lose to the laffs again, ok?

but seriously, we have some tough hockey coming up, so lets keep our expectations in check just a bit. to me, the true test is the bruins. i must admit, i hate no team more than the beaners but they look good.

GO HABS GO!!!

66. avatar_58 says:

Oh no! We’re winning games without our goalie being spectacular? How horrible, we shouldn’t be able to win unless he gets shutouts!

67. HabFanSince72 says:

Stats are fine if you don’t have time to watch any games, or if we’re talking about baseball.

Otherwise they’re a weak guide at best.

68. idle says:

Who is the odd man out when Markov returns?

At 6-2-1 maybe Markov is the odd man out : )

69. Chuck says:

“Price’s numbers this season are not spectacular. His .913 save
    percentage leaves him out of the top-20, and his 2.32 goals against
    average out of the top-10.”

Nothing to worry about here. He’s 15th is GAA and 21st in SV%. If he holds those numbers for most of the season, we’re a playoff team. If he improves on them, all the better. Most of what’s got by him are deflections, screens, and point-blank shots… things that can be corrected with smarter defensive play (hello, Markov!) in front of him.

Besides… if Tim Thomas, Cory Schneider, Pekka Rinne, and Brent Johnson finish the season with save percentages over .950, I’ll eat my Henri Richard sweater.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

70. idle says:

I voted Wisniewski as first star.  He was amazing last night and although a handful of Habs played a good game the tallent was more spread out for them last night.

71. Harani says:

(Repost from last nite – Posted it like at 2am so you might have missed it)

Haven’t been here in a while coz of midterms and stuff but I just wanted make a comment on the complete change in attitude and vibe this season’s edition of the Habs are sending. It’s a kind of long post and very positive so trolls, don’t waste your time!

Every team has talented players and hardworkers, and high-paid players and low-paid ones. It’s the way these different individuals come together as a team on the ice is what shows you their personalities. And I think last year’s playoff run is a big contributing factor to the confidence and poise displayed by our Habs this year.

That basically translated into team spirit and everyone playing for each other. That’s why they chose to play hockey. It’s not like tennis where it’s you and only you.

The taps from Pleky to Price’s pads at the end of periods, Price talking to Auld a lot during TV timeouts, guys talking on the bench working things out, giving credit where it’s due, getting to practice before it starts (Pleky), just accepting their respective roles and fulfilling it to the best of their abilities without letting anyone down. I think the most important part is the trust these guys have as a group in Jacques Martin. Knowing that he’s drawn out a plan and it would be in their best interest to follow it. And the results are showing up.

Just today in his post-game presser (on the Habs Official Website), Mathieu Darche mentions how Pleky, Cammi and the top 5 forwards keep their shifts short and come back to the bench if there is no plays to be made. He reference Pleky just dumping the puck in and changing. He said that when you see your “best” player doing it, it keeps you in check.

So, the Habs are doing the small things right and it is taking them on a winning trail. Go Habs!

“It must be love!”

72. avatar_58 says:

Ugh Walsh. Aren’t you guys glad we rid ourselves of ALL those distractions? No disrespect to halak, but his agent is a tard.