THN predicts Habs will finish in 13th place

price_001web

The Hockey News’s annual Yearbook is on newstands now and the magazine is predicting that the Canadiens will finish in 13th place in the Eastern Conference and miss the playoffs again.

THN predicts that Pittsburgh will finish first in the Eastern Conference, followed by Boston, Washington, the New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Ottawa as the eight playoff teams.

In the Western Conference it’s St. Louis, followed by Vancouver, Los Angeles, Chicago, Minnesota, San Jose, Detroit and Nashville.

In the Stanley Cup final, THN predicts Vancouver will beat Pittsburgh

THN also has its annual list of the Top 50 Players in the NHL in its Yearbook, and Max Pacioretty was the only Canadien to make it, coming in at No. 44.

Pacioretty is coming off a season in which he led the Canadiens in scoring with 33-32-65 totals and won the Masterton Trophy for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

“He responded to a devastating injury by being more robust and scoring 33 goals,” THN writes.

Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin was No. 1 on the THN list. Others making the top 10, in order, were: Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos, Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby, Philadelphia’s Claude Giroux, Los Angeles’s Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty, Minnesota’s Zach Parise, L.A.’s Anze Kopitar, Boston’s Zdeno Chara and the Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist.

1. nunacanadien says:

THN is probably bang on. I mean what do we have? A defense corps that is still weak and small, and we have players who are the most excellent passers in the world, but hey, our multi-millionairre help in Gionta Gomez and Cole couldn’t shoot the puck on the net to earn their millions. And then we have the guy who made Yakupov what he is but we don’t have Yakupov. That is like buying an expensive car but just the tires…..so Galychenuk can pass well, join the other great passers on the team Galy….move over Gomez and Deshnarnais…..so another year without a player who can shoot the puck on the net and score…..so what has Bergevin got us again? Prust, the shortest fighter in the league next to Tootoo? At least Tootoo can knock them down, all Prust does is get them angry so they beat up the entire team in return, but didn’t we already watch that last year with the one two punch of Emelin and Subban? What did that get us? An injured Gorges and half the team injured…..so what good is a mighty mite enforcer in Prust who couldn’t shove Gorges aside to save his life…..

2. Welcome to Lifeinsurance-withoutmedicalexam.com. Looking for Life insurance without medical exam- No Medical Exam Life Insurance? Protect your family and save up to 73% on life insurance! Find the best Life Insurance without Medical Exam today.

3. demon1972 says:

whats funny about thn is if we went by what they said we wouldnt of been watching the habs in the eastern finals they always pick the habs to do bad they want the contreversy to sell more magazines

• Habfun says:

new to this site but a life long hab fan.
      Thn predicted Ottawa to finish 15th in the east last year so what do they know. If they are predicting the has 13th this year they shoul end up 6th and I’m all over that baby!!!

It\\\’s all about th CH

4. The Nut says:

THN is such a joke. When was the last time their predictions were even close to correct? I don’t know why anyone puts stock in anything that they say.

Given the 80′s theme of this thread, thought given the labour talks this Northern Pikes song would be a fitting song. Video is typical 80′s cheesy, but pretty good song.

Things I do for Money, Northern PIkes.

6. commandant says:

Gary Bettman’s previous lockout promise.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

5 hours at Domodedovo. Someone kill me.

8. New says:

I am going out on a limb here for these predictions. I’m going to pick THN to come in about 30th in circulation within Canada this year. In first place I have to go with the perennial champs What’s Cooking. I don’t see anyone approaching their 1.5 million. I’m putting Readers Digest to maintain their hold on second but wouldn’t be surprised if Chatelaine at 550,613 pulls a promo and passes RD’s 597,229 before the wire. As November approaches I can see MacLeans grabbing another left winger from CBC but it won’t be enough, they’ll come in fifth about 200,000 copies below Canadian Living and won’t be going anywhere in the payoffs.

I like The Hockey News but frankly at 104 thousand I don’t see them having the horses to up their performance 60% and get that 16th spot held now by Todays Parent. I am afraid it is the basement and another draught for THN. 30th of 30 in the CPL (Canadian Publishing League).

Admittedly I never scouted the publishers myself instead relying on my sources (W. I. Kipedia – there I never could keep a secret!) who you may contact directly:

Whew! I’m as worn out as a Hockey News writer with space to fill. Time to call it a day.

9. Thomas Le Fan says:

These jokers are going to have another labour stoppage. **** both sides. They don’t deserve us.

• DorvalTony says:

Billionaires against millionaires.

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

———————————————————————–
        This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• accp says:

I really don’t know why we the fans are complaining about another labour stoppage. how many years have we sat in the seats and paid our money to support the Billionaires and millionaires and when this is over we’ll be all back again with all our support like nothing happened. if we didn’t come back they wouldn’t make money with empty seats so who’s fault is it.

we’re complaining for the sake of complaining. we all like hockey and we’ll always be complaining and we’ll be there when hockey starts up again….

• Cal says:

If the ticket buyers had half a brain, the arenas should find unsold empty seats for the first month these clowns return.
        No buying “NHL” paraphernalia, either. Give the idiot owners and players something to think about, instead of returning like homing pigeons.

• bleedhabs81 says:

while I agree, it is so ingrained… I want to boycott, but I doubt I can.

Seems like a good excuse to drink beer and eat wings every week.

• Cal says:

Unfortunately, I am hopelessly addicted as well. It would serve them right to lose a lot of fans, though.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I really hope they do!

Luckily, I am no where near montreal, so I can’t even be tempted to buy tickets

10. HabFab says:

I’d say the closest comparable for P.K. Subban is John Carlson. And wouldn’t you know it… he isn’t signed yet, either.
    Are the #Caps waiting for the #Habs to sign Subban, or are the #Habs waiting for the #Caps to sign Carlson?
    Carlson: 75 pts in 186 gms. 12 pts in 30 playoff gms. Subban: 76 pts in 160 gms. 12 pts in 21 playoff gms. #habs #caps
    #Caps committed 6 mil+ per season for 3 years of Mike Green. #Habs have another 2 years of Markov at 5.75mil.
    Maybe those contracts have something to do with both teams aiming to keep Subban and Carlson at 2-3 year deals. #justsayin
    …Eric Engels

11. HabFab says:

Did you ever wonder what a hockey fan in Atlanta felt about their team moving to Winnipeg?

“Right, I still cannot believe The Atlanta Thrashers were moved by buttman to a Minor League city, with a Very MINOR League arena, and minor league fans… Where will “they” be when they NEVER win and they will NEVER win !
    There should be LESS teams in canada, out with Flames, back to Atlanta !!!!!!!!!!!,
    Oilers, to Kansas City and Minor League team merged with Flames and return to Atlanta !!
    Maybe no vancouver as well, send them to Houston. But the NHL needs to be BACK IN ATLANTA ASAP ! If we had good owners, they would have sold out every game.
    Hell, Atlanta attendence beat that Minor League town even in their last season…
    Quit LYING buttman, put hockey BACK IN ATLANTA ! You OWE US FOR YOUR LIES !!!!”

• SmartDog says:

Gotta admire the passion.

Even if he’s an idiot for saying teams should leave Canada. That’s like saying there should be fewer beaches in Florida and more in Saskatchewan.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Atlanta has lost two teams now. The problem with the NHL and the NHLPA is that they are learning averse. WE need to teach them a lesson by staying away in droves. I guess now we’ll see if the average fan is incapable of learning, as well. Well, non-Leaf fans, that is.

• habsfan0 says:

Frankly,my dear,Bettman doesn’t give a damn.

Who are you quoting?

• habsfan0 says:

Gerry,wonder if the Steelers will pick up Shawne Merriman now that the Bills have released him?

I cannot see it, doesn’t fit the mold of a Steeler.

• Un Canadien errant says:

What, Shawne has been released? But his new training program… He had a new attitude… He said this was going to be the best season yet…

I blame Paul Tagliabue. Our Shawne hasn’t been the same since he was suspended for four games. It must have played with his mind or something, he’s now half the man he used to be.

• HabFab says:

Apparently some American from Atlanta venting on NBC Prosports about an article about the CBA negotiations and financial problems in the NHL.
        Was too different a view point from Canadian fans prospective to pass up! :D

Too different indeed, interesting to read. While the Wpg. arena is small, it is a very very nice arena, the sightlines are outstanding.

• Habfan10912 says:

And the fans buy tickets.

———————————–

• commandant says:

and pay real money for them… none of this $10 gets you a ticket, parking, two hotdogs and a beer nonsense.

• HabFab says:

Bingo! That is the big difference between the two cities as the poster is correct that Atlanta out drew Winnipeg in attendance by around 700 per game but the average Winnipeg-er spent 3 times per Atlanta fan. Plus if Winnipeg had another 2-3000 seats, they would fill them. No give away promos needed.

• Lafleurguy says:

I think that line is from Brokeback Mountain.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Passion yes. Insulting other communities when it was your own communitity who failed to support your team. Wrong.
      We do share the lack of love of Bettman with this guy.

———————————–

12. Bripro says:

Wow, impressive monday…
    I guess hockey withdrawals are rampant, when even Commie is listing punk bands, and everyone is talking music.
    I even found Jack Todd bang on this morning in the gazette.
    If there is to be a lock out, this site will be transformed into
    “The Site Formerly Known as Hockey Inside Out” with background music by an artist formerly known as
    Phillip…. no, uh, Andrew, no, no, that’s not it…. Harry…. No, Charles… no, that’s not it either…..

Certainly a dim time to be a fan of the NHL these days Brian. Instead of looking forward to the new season, the only stories findable related to hockey are doom and gloom.

I actually watched an entire Pittsburgh NFL preseason game last night. Thankfully we will have NFL football soon.

• bleedhabs81 says:

But what about Tuesdays, a number of Thursdays, and Saturday nights??? WHAT AM I TO DO THOSE NIGHTS???!!

(looks across the room and sees the wife)…. NOOOOOOOO!

• B says:

I watched a Junior A exhibition game yesterday and am looking forward to the upcoming start of the Major Junior leagues in September. The Bulldogs will be full of prospects and fun to follow this season as well. There is still a lot of hockey out there to keep me going until the NHL and NHLPA (both sides being culpable) come to their inevitable agreement.

13. alwayssunny says:

That’s a very bold prediction. I guess if everything goes perfectly they can jump two spots. They did sign two 4th line grinders sending a clear message to the fans that finishing last will not be tolerated. They are still solid down the middle starting with little warriors Desharnais and Plekanec. Bouillon solves any problems there might have been on the blue line, I don’t think Price will have to worry about much traffic now Price is only in his 6th year, he’s just a baby, he’s going to be a great one. There are no rookies expected to make the jump this year but maybe Leblanc, Geoffrion, Pelushaj, and Weber are ready to break out as promised. Sure 13th looks like a foolish statement right now, but if you get a few bounces, you never know. This isn’t the time to be pessimistic

• bleedhabs81 says:

I don’t quite understand your post.

So, are you saying 13th is good or bad?

Why does 13th look foolish? Is it high or low? If we get a few bounces do we move up to 13th or up from 13th?

I would not say they are solid down the middle, I would say compentant. DD and Pleks can be thrown off the puck and destroyed in the corners… I wouldn’t call that solid.

How does Bouillon solve any problems on the blue line? You do remember Frankie Bouillon right? He is OK. Just OK. He will be a decent 3rd pairing guy. Maybe he can cover up some of the short comings of kaberle. I can’t seem him solving all the problems, though. The problems on the Blue line start and end with Markov and Emelin. Markov needs to play and Emelin needs to not make rookie mistakes.

alwayssunny may have been quite sarcastic in the post. The disposition does not always match the handle.

• DorvalTony says:

Frankie is a great team guy and one of the strongest players pound for pound in the league. He fights occasionally and with his heart of a lion is one of the most surprising bodycheck thumpers in the league. Markov? His knee is wet newspaper and he’s a shadow of his former (?) self.

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

• bleedhabs81 says:

On Markov and his knee:

This team only goes as far as Markov’s knee will allow.

On Bouillon:

I don’t care if he is pound for pound the strongest. There are a billion of guys stronger who are stronger.

Also, playing with heart is great… but last time I checked skill/size combined with heart is what wins cups, not heart alone (or else Darche would be the most sought after player in the league).

• Trisomy 21 says:

I hate hearing how someone is the strongest pound for pound. You know what, they said the same thing about Cammalleri, but the problem is they’re both half a man. What good is that unless you are playing against other half-men.

14. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos!
    In the debate last night,that Legault fella kept reminding me of Jacques Martin. It was weird and disturbing.
    Bettman=Nixon? I will leave that one for Hunter S. Thompson…
    “Nixon; For years I”ve regarded his existence as a monument to all the rancid genes and broken chromosomes that corrupt the possibilities of the American dream;he was a foul cariacture of himself,a man with no soul, no inner convictions,with the integrity of a hyena and the style of a poison toad.If there were any such thing as true justice in this world,his rancid carcass would be down around Easter Island right now ,in the belly of a hammerhead shark”.

15. habs-fan-84 says:

If you want to see a guitar player who will knock your socks off check out Paul Wardingham.

16. habsfan0 says:

According to Jack Todd, Gary Bettman=Richard Nixon.

What does that make Colin Campbell? Spiro Agnew?

17. commandant says:

The St. Louis Blues have a strong system to add to their good young team.

18. Habsrule1 says:

I’m going to weigh in on the music thing, but very lightly.

My fave is Springsteen by far.
    I also enjoy Green Day quite a bit.
    After those two, there are too many bands I enjoy to mention. Many of the ones I liked were mentioned here already, including The Stoned Roses, who I was hooked on for a long time.
    I have not seen all that many concerts, but do any of you guys remember a local band called Too Many Cooks? I saw them twice and loved their stuff. It’s a shame they split up.

Go Habs Go!!

• bleedhabs81 says:

I wonder when green day are going to learn more than 3 chords

• SmartDog says:

Man but they do soooo much with those 3 chords!

• bleedhabs81 says:

They have put a lot of miles on those chords, and they have made more money than I ever will…

Can’t say as I like them (anymore)… but if you measure success by how many different Radio stations play your tunes, they are one of the most successful bands in recent memory.

I mean, adult pop, alt rock, hits, that station that the dentist has on, easy rock, adult alt, rock, hard rock, dance (this one baffles me)… they are freaking everywhere. They refuse to be limited by radio frequency it appears.

• SmartDog says:

They have a pretty versatile sound really. American Idiot set them on a new path, that whole rock opera thing and they pulled it off which many bands couldn’t. It seems pretty obvious that Billie Joe Armstrong is the real talent, though the drummer is good he also seems like a total knob.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Anyone who changes their name to Tre Cool is a knob… though, it was the 90′s, it is was a crazy time for names.

I guess a pop-punk drummer named Frankie Wright wouldn’t be hardcore enough for the hardcore pop-punk rockers!

My favorite story about Tre was one day on stage he took a cymbal, threw it up in the air and then it came down and struck him on the head… he needed an obscene amount of stitches to close the gash… at least that is what Josie Scott said on the EDGE 102.1

• SmartDog says:

Funny story… seems very believable. BJA’s dad was a successful drummer of some merit apparently, so “Tre” would’ve had a good teacher at hand while the band was starting out. Without that, he’d be working at a Starbucks. And the bassist… well what do you do when you have a best friend who can’t play. You make him the bassist.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I guess it depends on the band. Coldplay needed a drummer so the most useless of their guitarists made the switch.

4/4 timing with bass (and or snare) on all quarter notes anyone? Sigh, why couldn’t I have befriended some musical genious growing up?? Lyricist or Guitar Guru? Would have been easy money.

Killing Joke

20. TommyB says:

The only meaningful discussion I have seen on here in weeks….the great music debate initiated by SmartDog, and I missed it! Man, when my timing is off, it is really off. Think I will go downstairs and rock the bass this morning. Maybe some Fire, Hey Joe, from Hendrix…definitely some Petty, and perhaps a little Let;s Shake, Teenage Head. From there who knows, but a good start to any day.

• SmartDog says:

Teenage Head. There’s a name I haven’t heard in decades!

• TommyB says:

A good band in their time. Short run, though. Like many bands, I guess.

Gimme that opener, pass me that beer….
        Now move your ass, on out of here

Great little band whom I used to get to see 2-3 times per year. They always played the local festivals here in BUrlington/Hamilton area. They still play a bit, but with a new lead singer which just isn’t the same. Buddy of mines daughter actually played guitar a few times with them on stage here about 5 years back, was pretty cool.

Northern Pikes were another little Canadian 80′s band that I enjoyed. Back in college they were often found on Campuses rocking the bars for us less studious students.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I know the feeling, I completely missed out on the music topic.

There is definitely some great music listed here. So I guess not everyone on this site is a square! Kidding!

21. RiverviewCanadien says:

@commandant

You are now officially one of my favorite posters here after seeing your list of punk bands you listen to.

The Ramones are by far one of the most influential bands ever to emerge from the 70s (yes they are my favs). The others you listed kick ass as well.

Some other classics you did not mention that I listen to;
    Screeching Weasel, Subhumans (not the Canadian band), Joy Division (AKA Warsaw), Iggy and the Stooges (Passenger is such a great tune), Misfits (with Danzig), just to name a few.

• SmartDog says:

Passenger is great. So was TV Eye. Idiot (Iggy by himself) is a great album but my favorite was his Soldier album: “I’m bored… I’m the CHAIRMAN of the bored!”. Loco Misquito… Pumping for Jill.

China Girl also was his song before Bowie did it. And Iggy’s version is better. Check out Iggy’s Louie Louie if you’ve never heard it too. Gonna have to go buy some of that right now!

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I never knew that about China Girl. Gotta love early Bowie though, the man was genius.

And there is always the classic Iggy – Search and Destroy.

• SmartDog says:

Bowie was my first musical hero. Ziggy Stardust was the first album I owned…. at one point I had 21 Bowie albums. Changes and Low (Eno) were two other favorites.

• commandant says:

It wasn’t an exhaustive list at all, but definetely a fan of those names as well, especially Iggy and Misfits.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch with a good read on the NHLPA offer and how perhaps some teams would be okay with it. Interesting that the “unified” owners have a $1 million dollar fine system in place for any team who speaks publicly regarding CBA out of step with the NHL.

• HabFab says:

I have that feeling myself that the players are much more unified then the owners heading into this. However believe the owners are unified on several points;
      - dropping the players share
      - reducing free agency
      - closing loop holes in contracts (lengths, amount per year)

I do this with great intrepidation, but here is Jack Todd weighing in on Gary Bettman. Just not enough hockey news out there if I am linking Todd articles.

• kairos66 says:

How dare he critisize Paul McCartney by comparing him to one of the Monkeys! If I recall, what made the Beatles one of the most influential pop band in history is the combination of Lennon and McCartney. They complimented each other, and on their own could never duplicate their combined efforts.

Of the top of your head can anyone remember one song from John Lennon’s last album?

Kairos66

• HabFab says:

I support this post!

• TommyB says:

Funny how every Beatles discussion revolves around Lennon and McArtney. No doubt they were the driving forces for the group, but take away the guitar playing of George Harrison and you take out a big chunk of the heart and soul of the band. Harrison, still to this day, never gets enough recognition. Ringo, perhaps to a lesser extent, but the Beatles worked because of what the four of them brought to the table together. Not taking anything away from either Paul or John, they were the major songwriters and thus deserve the bigger part of the credit, naturally.

If John Lennon would have concentrated more on music and songwriting after the breakup, instead of political activism, who knows what he could have produced. I, for one, think he could have made McArtney irrelevent if he had chosen to.

• SmartDog says:

Double Fantasy… Just Starting Over (lots of radio play) and Beautiful Boy (a better song)… but that was with Ono (I don’t know what she did but)… but what about Imagine, Shaved Fish, Mind Games…

No question McCartney is tremendously gifted as well but I buy Lennon’s music. I don’t buy McCartney’s sappy pop.

24. HabFab says:

Stubbs exposes the “big” question not asked from the Leaders Debate;

Dave_Stubbs And still, no one has asked these debating politicians what they think of #Habs Gomez #rootofquebecproblems

25. HabFab says:

Article on the two main acquisitions for the Habs going into this season…when and if;

For some reason I was thinking that the “pocket aces” was going to refer to our resident player wearing the #11 on his jersey.

Having, Gio and Markov back healthy should help this team a great deal.

26. HabFab says:

Comparing PK to the other defensemen his age. Since advanced hockey stats are used, I’m not sure how he is doing some of the time but seems to come out OK at the end;

27. Captain aHab says:

The “Leaders’” Debate….what’s the point?

Watched the whole thing and save for Françoise David, who has no shot at getting government anyway, they all seemed like sleezeballs.

Without any process to force the leaders to answer the tough questions live, these things amount to a regurgitation of party lines for 2 hours. It was pretty much shown on the newscast following the debate tat they all had lied or very significantly twisted the truth during the debate….and these are our leaders? Imagine the rest of their party members…

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

28. Habs4Me says:

I wish the players would just accept 50% and play hockey. It’s a business and the owners should receive the bulk of revenues. Hell if the average joe at his job who makes in a year what these players make in a week demanded their company pay them 57% of profits they’d be fired. I’ll never feel sympathetic to the players as they’ll make more in 1 or 2 years then i’ll make in my life. Maybe the owners should make them travel on a regular flight in economy instead of private flights and put them up in Super 8 hotels instead of the 5 star hotels and pampering their millionaire asses. I usually travel every winter on a road trip with my buddies to watch the habs. This year i’ve booked a football trip instead, i’ll most likely still watch my beloved habs but will not put down cash on a ticket for at least this coming season. Sick and tired of this labor bull, thank god it’s football season.

• Insomnius says:

It IS a business. And the reason they sell so many tickets, t-shirts, caps, mugs, TV rights and all the other stuff has nothing to do with the owners. It’s all down to either the logo on the jersey – like the CH or the Rangers – or the players – like Ovechkin or Crosby (note how much better financially those 2 franchises are since their respective superstars arrived).

As such, I respectfully disagree with your assessment that it’s up to the players to make all the concessions.

Also, as evidenced by Philly’s attempt to sign Shea Weber, there is financial warfare going on with one franchise attempting to undermine the very existence of another. Nashville NEEDS to play this season in order to just cover Weber’s new salary – let alone everyone else. If the owners weren’t at war with each other, there would be less labour strife.

• Habfan17 says:

We all get it, you can’t have one without the other, however I am with Habs4Me. The owners take all the financial risks and the players are paid well and treated very well for entertaining us. If players want teams that invest in development and remain competative, owners need revenue to invest. In that regard, 50/50 is very fair. If these new millionaire players think the owners are being unfair, then how about some of the newly retired miilionaire players cough up and buy the Coyotes or another of the struggling teams and put their money where there mouths are? Or better yet, buy an expansion franchise and then have them get Fehr to tell me that there is no cap on what a team is worth when they try to unload a losing team or a team in a terrible hockey market!!

Habfan17

• Clay says:

If your argument is that the owners take all of the financial risks, I would like to point out to you that the players take all of the physical risks. Are the owners risking life and limb for a chance at the Cup? Are they fighting, getting checked into the boards, taking open ice hits, getting concussed? Personally, I would rather lose money than my health. So to me the players take the greater risk. And for this reason, I think you presented a weak argument.

__________________________
          ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Insomnius says:

I am with Clay – take my money not my health. How much will the Penguins lose over time if Crosby gets a career-ending concussion. Possibly 2 more stanley cups? Oodles of playoff revenue? Reams of merchandise? Tons of television exposure? What happens to the Caps’ bottom line if Ovi gets run over in a car and can no longer play?

Financial risk? Didn’t George Gillette lose all his fortune only to gain it back? Didn’t that weasel Loria fleece two cities for their baseball teams to the tune of 120 million each time? I think the owners can afford a little financial risk – think Crosby can take another hit to the head?

• Habfan17 says:

Sorry, police officers, fire fighters and armed forces take way more risks for little pay, Players are not risking life and limb every game, how many players have died on the ice. The players are well compensated. You would rather have the money, so don’t play a sport. I played hockey and rugby for the fun knowing the risk and I didn’t get paid to do it!! The players know the risks and most of the risks could be controlled better if the NHL and NHLPA would pull their collective heads out of their butts and call the game properly and put rules in that protect players. When I played boarding was called and so was charging. I have not heard a charging ca;; in years and boarding seems to only happen if a player is hurt..

Habfan17

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

…something for You older Goobers out there …’The Lost Elvis Tapes’
    …just some home movie vignettes taken by someone that befriended Elvis (The King Of Rock n Roll) during his Army days …so, pre-Las Vegas Elvis, so to speak

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

30. commandant says:

I’m just glad that no one mentioned Bieber or Nickleback

• Boomer says:

are you glad cause it’s an opportunity for you to do so? just kiddin’ comm, whatch’ya rockin on the ipod these days?

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
      Hobo with a laptop

• commandant says:

I’m into punk more than anything.

Classics like the Ramones, Rancid, Bad Religion, The Clash

And stuff like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, NOFX, Rise Against, No Use for a Name, mxpx

But while thats my favorite I’ll listen to pretty much anything.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…don’t say THAT in front of My 13 year old Daughter Ben :) …if You don’t want to limp for the next 6 months
      …and, lucky Me, I have to ‘escort’ her to His concert here in October …Baby ! Baby ! :)

_________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

31. Steven says:

Well, after reading the music discussion, I can say you all know nothing of music.

Where’s all the Drake? The Lil’ Wayne?

Naw, I’m only kidding. I haven’t gone through all the music-related posts but for the majority I found myself saying: “That’s good music.”

Anyone mention Rush yet?

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

…You Guyz think Y’all ‘know’ music
    …no One even mentioning Fabian …one of The Greats
    …Kookie ! Kookie ! …lend Me your comb ! …classic lyrics
    …Bill Haley & The Comets ??? …Gary US Bonds ???
    …geez …You punks nowadayz know NUTTIN’ :(

________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Led says:

I know “Kookie, Kookie” (“Baby you’re the utmost”). Had it on a K-Tel kids album called Looney Tunes; along with other “classics” like: “Hello Muddah, Hello Fuddah” and “The Witch Doctor” ( “ting, tang, walla-walla, bing, bang).

Seriously though I love Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry etc. That’s the roots of rock and I’m sure that listening to my parents records of those artists turned me into the rocker that I am.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

:) kidding about Fabian …Fabian was the epitome of the ‘manufactured’ pop star …a voice so one-dimensional, it needed a ‘voice-box synthesizer’
        …but, I won a Bill Haley 78 rpm vinyl album at a sock hop when I was in grade 7 or so (11, 12 years old) …well into the ‘Elvis years’ …and, not a bad track on the LP …Little Richard, Jerry Lee, Buddy, Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, BB King et al eventually led Me to the Blues and Jazz
        …music is a journey :)

_________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• habsfan0 says:

77 Sunset Strip?

33. otter649 says:

It looks like Carey Price got engaged last week on the 16th on his 25th birthday…….

34. habsfan0 says:

Pauline Marois’ Theme Song

35. Boomer says:

Here’s some music for ya boys, The great Ry Cooder and The Moula Banda Rhythm Aces. Everytime I listen to this my ears get laid…

Occupation: Professional Hedonist… aiming low and exceeding expectations ;)
    Hobo with a laptop

36. Sean Bonjovi says:

SmartDog, I read your music question when you posted it, but I wanted to think about it before I wrote anything.
    IMO the stuff that “is-what-it-is” and knows it holds up way better than the pretentious stuff, but sometimes it’s hard to distinguish “great” from “tripe” until some time has passed.
    70s Tom Petty and anything by Rush is great. Guns n Roses music is Awful. I used to love GnR, but today it makes me cringe. GnR songs sound worse every time I hear them.
    On the other hand you’ve got guys like Huey Lewis and John Cougar. Those guys never broke any ground, and even their original music didn’t really sound all that original, but in 2012 John Cougar and Huey Lewis songs still do what they were meant to do.

P.S. I’m not a huge fan or an expert, but some of that 80s LA rap still sounds pretty good. I mean the kind with the good beats. Ice Cube’s music is aesthetically pleasing.

• Insomnius says:

If we’re talking music, please provide your unfiltered feedback on my own stuff…

I have love for Simon & Garfunkel and NIN. Carlos Santana and Jai Uttal. RUSH and Dead Can Dance. The Beatles and Stones (for blowing your mind) and the Doors (for after). I also have love for MUSE and Jane’s Addiction. Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Mozart and Marillion.

I do not love Coldplay – a little to limp wristed for my tastes. Metallica is over-rated in my humble opinion. I thought the Black Crowes had 2 great albums (Southern Harmony and Amorica) then got unfocused.

I do like the late 80s early 90s gangsta rap but also the mid 90s NY stoner jazz rap – Diggable Planets, GURU, Jazzamatazz.

I can barely listen to anything recorded in the last few years.

And I think Bourque, Diaz and a non-1st pick for Stallberg and Hjalmarsson is a steal…I think Stallberg is going to surprise some folks in the very near future.

But of course – it’s just my opinion – everyone has one :)

• SmartDog says:

I agree. I liked John Cougar but he also evolved too so some of his later stuff had some depth. But its all honest in a way.

37. thehabsfan29 says:

Rumor has it Umberger has asked to be traded
    Would he be a upgrade over bourque?

and rumors on twitter say that we offered bourque diaz and a 3rd or 2nd for stalberg and hjalmarsson
    i can’t tell if i would like that deal or not

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Yes, Umberger would be an upgrade over Bourque.

2. That deal is ridiculously in our favour. Stalberg had 22 goals. Hjalmarsson was their top PKer. Both are young and improving.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

38. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

My God does that Pauline Marois bi*ch ever piss me off, Charest is a slime-ball but unfortunately he seems to be the only hope for Canada. That PAQ guy seems untrustworthy…..

And any album list that does not include Moving Pictures and 2112 by Rush is total BS.

39. HabFanSince72 says:

On the issue of music….

Lots of things in this world suck.

Chara lifting the cup. Black flies. Putin.

But I would venture to suggest that nothing sucks more than this.

Coldplay’s “tribute” to Beasty Boy Adam Yauch.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

40. Un Canadien errant says:

Since we’re talking about music:

I love this article, it kind of reminds me of the Kid in the Hall skit where Bruce says rock’n'roll will never die, and his teacher Dave disagrees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnyCJDYONSU).

A lot of what the author says is true, how rock music was so central to our culture and our youth, and how everything’s changed now. IPods and house music and raves and the rise of the DJ culture and rap and computers have changed how the release of the next Foreigner album was something you couldn’t wait for, you’d mark it on your calendar, and raced down to the cafeteria at lunch because the student radio guys (really just Grade 11 guys with a turntable and speakers) were going to play it all, side 1 then side 2. Now, music is more of a soundtrack to other cultural events, as opposed to the cultural centre.

I will keep up with the author, he’s pretty good, although a few of the bands he references go right over my head, and he seems to be our age.

• SmartDog says:

Funny skit. Made me think of Jethro Tull.

I agree that it’s not the same… I remember where I was when I heard certain songs or bands for the first time. But I’m encouraged that my kids, who are young (8-10) have a real interest in some of my music. My daughter’s favorite song is the White Stripes Seven Nation Army. LOL I don’t get why but she LOVES that song. They like a lot of 80′s stuff too. My son loves it when I play Green Day. So at least taste is not dead.

41. Psycho29 says:

On the subject of music, purchased Rolling Stone magazine a couple of months ago, The Top 500 Albums of All Time. Great read; a lot of groups I’ve never heard of:

Enjoy!

• SmartDog says:

Interesting stuff. They really need this as a database so you can put in a band’s name and see if they’re on the list. :)

I dunno about the Beatles having 4 of the top 10. Yah the Beatles were awesome musically, conceptually, opened new doors yadda yadda. But really, are they still the touchstone of Rock? No U2… no Zeppelin… How about Born to Run? Rumors? Bad? There are so many albums that are both brilliant and iconic, it’s kinda sad that Rolling Stone is stuck in the era when the magazine started.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That list is a travesty! They have Eurythmics (gag!) at 492, ahead of Wilco at 493, and the Stone Roses at 498. Who are the clowns voting on this? They should be impeached.

42. junyab says:

Nice…have 3 players of this “top 10″ in a fantasy keeper league with 13 others “managers”. Malkin, Giroux and Kopitar.

43. Mattyleg says:

Watching the ‘Great’ Leaders’ debate.

Holy eff-word, it’s painful.
    The Liberals and the PQ endlessly accusing each other of corruption, ignoring the QS candidate, and telling Legault to shut the hell up and make up his mind about separation.

What a shower of imbeciles.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

You are brave.

I think I’d rather watch a replay of the Rangers- Caps series, aka the shot blocking series.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

44. SmartDog says:

RESPONSE TO MUSIC COMMENTS
    Great responses to my little music post. Awesome to discover some of you have or had the same tastes! Since the page has turned I wanted to respond to everyone who joined the conversation.

So….

HabinBurlington – I don’t really know .38 Special and Simply Red was kinda…. sappy, no?– I have some favorites from the 70’s too… in fact FleetWood Mac mentioned lower down, The Pretenders who I mentioned, T Rex, Bowie, Costello, the Jam.

Frontenac1 – a classy line-up, too classy for me. But Billy Idol was truly awesome. And I like that he’s in your list, he actually has a fantastic voice with that same smoky quality as the greats.

Psycho29 – we’re just simply brothas from another motha.

DearyLeary – talking heads ’77 was a fave of mine and still great.

PeteFlete – not on the same page but I don’t really know those bands so can’t say much. :(

Longbow – it was too hard for me then (I was a kid) but I like Led Zeppelin today and for some reason, “Over the Hills and Far Away” was a song that I liked as a kid and was the first record (a 45) I owned (my brother gave it to me). INXS is one of those bands I liked then but they do nothing for me now. Guns in the sky… yeah whatever.

The Dude, Zappa is too cool for me. But just right for you – you have my respect.

Gerry – The Clash and the Jam! Now yer talkin! Setting Sons was one of the first albums I bought… man that album ROCKS!!! And just THREE Guys. So we’re on the same page too. If the ship sinks, you can be in my boat. Because of you I’m going to give the Joe Jackson album a try (don’t know it).

Un Canadien errant – REM and the Smiths – yes! And another Jam fan. My favorite t-shirt in college was a Jam t-shirt. The band I would’ve most loved to see but never did. Too intense for America I guess. Also, they sang with British accents. Town Called Malice was their attempt to make a commercial US album… it got some play, not much and they disbanded. Sad. BTW, your comment to PeteFleet made me LOL.

Marc10 – you were obviously deep into 80’s music. All of these are classic 80’s bands… not my faves but I listened to them all then.
    Ont fan – with you on F Mac.

Grim Jim – yes, Dire Straits were cool and still are. And of course REM… my favorite albums are their THREE least known. Murmur, Reckoning, and some little album that came before those two… I forget it’s name, it was hard to find but it has the song “Gardening at Night” on it. I saw them play up close in a hockey rink before they made it big. I was 8 feet from Stipe the whole time.

HabsTrinifan – Queen was a classic. Gotta respect them, and I love “You’re my Best Friend” and a few others. Freddy Mercury was too cool for this world.

HabsFanSince72 – I never caught onto the Ramones. I don’t know why and my friends are confused about that too because I like all your other choices and I’m told over and over that I should love the Ramones.

LED – you’re hardcore dude. Too hardcore for me. But I know all those bands… my brother had most of them. Classic stuff.

• Led says:

Hey Dog

Of course that’s just the genre nearest and dearest to my heart. The stuff I started on that still makes me smile. I had to stay in one area or my response would’ve been even longer.

Funny thing is the newer hardcore metal fans consider that stuff light and in a lot of instances not metal.

• SmartDog says:

Yah that’s scary. The hard stuff today is sooooooo creepy. I know this makes me old, but wow, I don’t get it.

• Led says:

Just to get myself out of this “metal corner” I’ve painted myself into (and totally disregarding your original question). Here’s a sample of some other stuff I like: Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Soundgarden, The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, U2, The Stones, Springsteen, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Tori Amos, The Who, Radiohead, The Police, Gordon Lightfoot and Cheap Trick to name a few. Ha, ha.

• SmartDog says:

Cool! I like almost all of that. Especially Tori Amos, U2, Blue Rodeo, Springsteen, U2, the Hip and Radiohead. But also Gordon Lightfoot, something awesome about that dude, the Stones of course, though I don’t listen to them much anymore, same for the Sex Pistols and the Police – they had their day.

Others I’ve left out – T Rex, Bowie, Tubeway Army, Dylan (Blood on the Tracks – great album), Genesis (both with and without Peter Gabriel), Peter Gabriel…. and leading up to more recent times…Moist, Fall Out Boy, Green Day,

• Un Canadien errant says:

I entered Showcase Snowboards’ “Metal Meltdown” contest, I had to submit three songs and went with Hüsker Dü, which I knew was a more melodic metal-punk than anything and probably wouldn’t win, but the kids thought it was really bubble gum. I ended up with Third Place. Out of three entrants.

• Led says:

Don’t know any Husker, though I know of them. Primarily because Amy Ray of the Indigo Girls, another of my faves, always wore their t-shirt.

This is more in response to SD. I recently stumbled across Dylan’s Masters of War and was pretty moved. Of course he’s got lot’s of others ( I also love A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall) it’s just that there’s so much I don’t know. I’ve been meaning to listen to Tubeway, just haven’t gotten there yet. Bowie’s like Dylan; lot’s I like (Quicksand – Hunky Dory) just so much I don’t know.

• BramScott says:

SmartDog
      you will likely never be able to see The Jam play live again as Paul Weller has stated many times that a reunion will never happen but bass player Bruce Foxten is on tour playing all the songs with a Weller sound alike and billing themselves as”From The Jam”. They are touring N.A. in Oct. with dates in Toronto and Hamilton.
      Mr. Weller himself recently played an amazing show in Toronto and his 11th solo album Sonic KIcks hit #1 on the U.K. album charts in March. Watch for him on the Jimmy Kimmel show in late October.

45. HabFab says:

Just because we care and Carey got a big raise. Someone got a big rock out of it! Girls can ohhh and ahhhh now!

46. HabFanSince72 says:

I kno some of you are soccer fans.

Check out these goals from Barcelona today.

Harlem GLobetrotters stuff.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• SmartDog says:

You’re right, they’re all nice goals, great passing, perfect finishes. That first goal by Messi is my favorite. Two goals after I like that the player walks to the line and then passes back while stepping off the field so he has no chance of being offside on the finish.

Horrible defense throughout though. They had everyone back but they were all just bunching together – they weren’t picking up players.

Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

R: 80′s music, i am in agreement with Smartdog, much of the 80′s music I once really enjoyed I no longer am as intrigued or entertained by. I find myself listening to primarily 70′s rock now.

However, one 80′s band I still enjoy listening to is .38 Special.

ELO is more a 70′s band, but I didn’t really start listening to them until the 80′s and they still are to me one of the great underrated bands of alltime to me.

• boing007 says:

Roll over Beethoven. Not ELO’s greatest by a long shot, but fun nonetheless.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

48. frontenac1 says:

Sinatra,Johnny Cash,New Order,Billy Idol

49. SmartDog says:

Absolutely not related to hockey, except that it’s me, and you reading it.

But I recently started downloading a lot of 80′s music… and am surprised to find that a lot of the music I loved then doesn’t have that much appeal to me now. But two bands that I’m finding are just as good or better now than they were then: The Cars and The Pretenders.

So I ask those of you who at least REMEMBER the 80′s, name two bands from your youth that you like as much or more now, than you did then.

• Psycho29 says:

It can be like watching our favorite shows from our youth. Shows like Green Acres and Get Smart don’t seem as funny now…

If I had to pick a couple (I also like your choices)…..Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, R.E.M…..

• SmartDog says:

Woah. We’re absolutely on the same page!

I forgot REM somehow…. their first two albums – Murmor and Reckoning are two of my favorites of all time. I wish to hell I knew what Stipe was thinking when he wrote some of those absolutely unintelligible lyrics. I mean Catapult? Harborcoat? I love these songs… even though I have NO idea what they’re about they somehow make sense.

• DearyLeary says:

Talking Heads
      Sonic Youth

As for when I was growing up in the 90s:

Pavement
      Yo La Tengo

• SmartDog says:

Talking Heads – I was a huge fan. Still some of it, my favorite album was either ’77 or More Songs About Buildings and Food. Awesome title.

• petefleet says:

Motley Crue and Simply Red

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

• longbow says:

I was born in ’58 so the music i was listening to in the late 60′s and early 70′s mostly still cuts it. Too many to list here but to name a few: Led Zep,Floyd,Santana,ELP,Stones……. I could go on ad nauseum.

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

• The Dude says:

Though not just 80′s music ,lately listening to a lot of Zappa and Ween…fun stuff.

• Gerry H says:

From the 80′s? The Clash (though their best was late 70′s) and The Jam. And I’ll second the vote for Joe Jackson, whose latest, a tribute to Duke Ellington, is f’n amazing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Clash is weird for me, I like a lot of their stuff but I’m not big on reggae, so some of it not so much. Also, I cringe when a radio DJ says he’s about to play The Clash, because you know you’re getting ‘London Calling’ or ‘Should I Stay or Should I Go’, which have been overplayed to death.

How The Jam never crossed over here really I’ll never understand. So good, so melodic. I try not to overplay them or The Style Council, but it’s hard.

• BramScott says:

You might want to take a trip down the coast to L.A. in late October. Paul Weller has a date at The Greek and an appearance on the Jimmy Kimmel show. I saw him play in Toronto in May. It was an amazing show. Played for 2 1/2 hours with 2 encores. Show was done with 3 acts-played his new album entirely, a 6 song acoustic set with all his band members playing a guitar, then an electric set of his solo stuff and some Jam classics. Encore included Eton Rifles and Malice. i’m still buzzing months later. Glad to find a few Jam fans on this board. I a long time reader but don”t post that often.

• Marc10 says:

Midnight Oil, The Violent Femmes, Iron Maiden and (my dirty secret) Def Leppard…

Pretty much all the bands mentioned so far make my list too.

• Un Canadien errant says:

‘Pyromania’ is still a kickass album, underplayed to a criminal degree on radio, all they play is ‘Hysteria’, which was okay.

• Led says:

Yes it is UCE. I think it’s better than Hysterical too. All of the “metal” hadn’t been polished off yet.

I really liked that band (Pyromania and High n’ Dry). It’s too bad they were more interested in being a huge “pop” act than being a great melodic-metal band.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hüsker Dü and The Smiths.

Thumbs up to R.E.M. and Sonic Youth.

Pete Fleet, no offence, but your choices straddle the whole continuum of crap eighties bands, from bubble gum ‘metal’ to commercial pretentious pap. Only Eurhythmics was farther along that scale than Simply Red.

Tom Petty is still as good today as when he first came out. I went to the Pemberton Festival a couple summers ago, he was one of the headliners, was surrounded by young punks who thought they’d never heard of him really, but every second song they’d realize they’d heard before and enjoyed and they’d sing right along. Same with an Elvis Costello concert that same summer.

Longbow, it must have been something to be there when the Stones released their ‘Exile on Main Street’ and other classics. I remember those days when a major band would release an album, a senior at our high school would skip out of class to make a record store run and we’d play it for the first time over lunch. Unfortunately for me, by the time I was paying attention the Stones were entering their dotage, ‘Some Girls’ was the first album I remember them releasing. ‘In Through the Out Door’ for Zeppelin, meh. ‘The Wall’ for Floyd, that has stood the test of time. ELP, there’s a band that was huge, and just completely fell off the radar.

• longbow says:

@ UCE I remember as a kid sitting on the sofa with my sister and parents watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. I’m so lucky to have seen it all. Remember well Led Zep’s first album being released.Stones Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, loving Floyd’s Wish You Were Here while everyone else was still too busy listening to Dark Side of the Moon. Some little kid named Micheal Jackson. Jeez, I could go on for hours. Hendrix,Morrison and Joplin dying. I feel sorry for all those that weren’t around to see the sixties.Even though I was very young at the time I new it was a significant time. Great memories.

• ont fan says:

I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan or REO Speedwagon.

• GrimJim says:

Dire Straits
      REM

and a shout out to Talking Heads

• habstrinifan says:

Was way past my youth in the 80′s so my choices may be kinda to mid stream… but I like the music of YES especially their 80′s stuff (outstanding… “owner of a lonely heart”) and I will listen to Queen anytime.

• boing007 says:

I’m making a DJ style mix of my favourite 80s pop songs and instrumentals. About 350 songs altogether. Going to burn it to a DVD.
      Yours truly, DJ Swivelchair. My part-time gig.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Plenty.

Talking Heads, Cure, Smiths, Elvis Costello, Clash, New Order, …

Spent one evening recently looking at live Ramones clips on youtube. greatest band of all time.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Led says:

OK SD I gotta reply. ‘Cause I like talking bout old music even more than talking about hockey.

Like more now: Judas Priest (even though I really liked them then), Thin Lizzy (so underrated), Metallica, Megadeth (missed them first time round), Anthrax (with John Bush singing), Rush (loved then, love more now), Motörhead (only knew Ace of Spades), Queen (liked but never really appreciated how good they were)

Not as much anymore: Kiss, Dokken, Ratt, Aerosmith (and I really liked them) , Ozzy, Def Leppard

Still love: Zeppelin (duh!), Sabbath, Maiden, Scorpions (mostly the awesome 70′s stuff with Uli Jon Roth), Van Halen, AC/DC

Never liked: Winger, White Lion, Europe

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! I never heard of Dokken, Rat,Thin Lizzy,Megadeth,think I heard of Anthrax, never heard of Winger, White Lion.

I feel OLD!

• Led says:

And that stuff was in the 80′s. Which makes me feel old! Lol

In your defense, that’s a pretty narrow slice of the musical pie I’ve listed and some of those bands are “one hit wonders”.

• kairos66 says:

The Cult and Depeche Mode and of course U2.

Kairos66

50. frontenac1 says:

Hey! Cherry says players will be out for 2 months.There ya go Amigos!

• SmartDog says:

Cherry is actually pretty decent at reading the forecast of the leagues politics. I’d guess he’s about right. And actually it’s pretty logical. The sides are far apart. But neither wants another lock-out so soon after the last one. Bettman for all his blow-hard ways and the financial success of his plan, can’t risk a second full lock-out on his watch.

• ont fan says:

I figure Boxing Day. A couple of games before the Outdoor Winter Classic in the Motor City.

• CDH says:

Cherry is an ass!

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Commandant

Ben, this profile of G Andrey Makharov from the recent Canada-Russia Series, left Me wondering whether Makharov is available for the Habs to invite to training camp or sign as an ‘undrafted’ …He has always impressed Me in the games I’ve seen Him participate …and, We need depth in goal
    …is He old enough to sign ?

Hockey Writers: per Cam Charron
    ” Andrey Makarov (undrafted) – The undrafted Andrey Makarov continues to prove that he is an elite goaltender prospect. Despite coming to Canada to chase his NHL dream and succeeding in the WHL, Andrey Makarov was passed over by thirty NHL teams for the second time in as many years. Internationally, Makarov has owned Canada and that was clear once again as Russia won both games with Makarov as the starter. He’s a netminder that shows great poise and with his strong positioning he is difficult to beat on the first shot.

Stat Line: 2GP – 2W – 74 SVS – 4.00 GAA – .902 SV% ”

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• commandant says:

He would need to be invited to camp and signed to a contract before sending him back to the WHL.

Once he gets to the WHL, if he doesn’t have a contract hes back in the 2013 draft. If he clears that draft, he’s a pure UFA, no questions asked.

Since he plays for Saskatoon, where we have drafted both Dietz and Thrower the past 2 years, you can be certain that Trevor Timmins is very, very familiar with this goalie.

If we don’t offer him a spot, its obvious the organization sees something they don’t like.

• SmartDog says:

Basically they could offer him a two-way contract and then he’s ours right? Not that that’s going to happen, just clarifying the rules. He’s really up for grabs now.

His stats are pretty good and he does seem to be well-liked despite not being drafted…

“He was invited to the NHL Draft Combine and ranked seventh amongst North American goalies in Central Scouting’s final rankings prior to the 2012 NHL Draft.

Talent Analysis
        Makarov is a goaltender that relies on his athleticism to get the job done. Where he needs to show improvement is with the finer points of the position, such as playing the angles well and challenging shooters more often. He has shown adaptability through his transition from Russia to the QMJHL in 2010-11, then the QMJHL to the WHL this past season.”

• commandant says:

Yes, we could sign him to a 3 year ELC and send him back to the WHL. The ELC would “slide” one year when we send him down and his 3 year deal would start in 2013-14 when he joins the Bulldogs or our ECHL team.

52. accp says:

with the team MB has in place right now we can compete with the average teams I’d say beat most of them and steal one now and than from the better teams. where ever that takes us that’s as good as we’re gonna do. playoffs possible. stanley cup repeat after me “OUR FATHER” that’s what well need a hope and a prayer….

53. frontenac1 says:

Sorry guys.Posting from my BB out in the sticks.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn’t .Trying my best. Hola!

The good news is we can’t sink much lower. And even that has the silver lining of another bevy of top flight draft picks.

Time to take up basket weaving.

55. frontenac1 says:

New coaches,better power play coming

56. frontenac1 says:

No Kirk Muller, No Power Play.

57. jon514 says:

If the habs miss an entire year, it could really hurt the development of guys like Patches, PK, DD, Eller… These are guys who can’t easily be sent to the AHL and who are still figuring out how to be consistent in the NHL. I know all teams have the same issues with their prospects, but what can the habs do as an organization to protect their investment in these kids?

“This Team is Less than the sum of it’s parts while Gomez is one of those parts.”

58. frontenac1 says:

Don’t buy it Amigos. Habs will make the playoffs.Book it.

59. habstrinifan says:

“I would put Dale Hawerchuk ahead of Mats Sundin without blinking.”

@HabinBurlington, I hope you dont mind me running a straw poll on the statement above, which you made re the respective merits of Sundin/Hawerchuk as ‘greatest without ultimate prize’.

I 100% agree with you HabinBurlington…. by miles it’s a YES for me.

Just for fun, anyone care to vote…YES is Hawerchuk/No is Sundin.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mr. Sundin benefited from a greater rep by playing in Toronto, while Dale Hawerchuk was overshadowed by Wayne Gretzky, Denis Savard, Peter Stasny, …

• Insomnius says:

Yes – Hawerchuk > Sundin.

And as far as missing the playoffs “again” well last season was the first one in about 5 seasons where did miss the playoffs. We had a bucket load of injuries and were often playing 4 if not 5 rookie defensemen – some of whom are not NHL worthy IMHO (Weber and Diaz).

I think with the emergence of Emelin, a healthy Markov & Gionta, a more confident and assertive Eller, and some substantively increased toughness up front, to think we would only rise two spots is to be willfully anti-Hab. I am not exaggeratedly saying that we will win the cup, but I am fully confident that this team will make the playoffs.

Cheers Trin! Hawerchuk or should I say Ducky as he was known in Winnipeg truly was overshadowed by that Dark Empire known as the Oilers, not to mention a very good Calgary team in that era.

• petrov14 says:

But I think it’s close.

______________________________________
      Long live Captain Gionta.

60. Habilis says:

Some questions that I’m sure someone on here can answer:

1. Assuming a lockout, what’s the deal with sending players to the AHL? Is there still a waiver wire?

2. Pursuant to the first question, which Habs who have played with the big club are likely to play in Hamilton if the worst does occur?

3. What about guys like Redden? By that I mean guys on one way deals. Don’t they have to be sent down during or after training camp every season? If there’s no camp can they still be sent down?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

• wildwilly says:

Hi

I found an article that explains it pretty well here:

Three key factors determine whether a player is waiver eligible; age, years of experience, and # of games played..

Age is defined as the age of the player when he signs his entry-level contract with an NHL club. This is used to determine the thresholds for the players’ waiver eligibility. The thresholds are the number of years from signing a professional contract, and the number of professional games played.

Depending on the age as determined above, a player is waiver eligible for a certain number of years from the year in which he signed his first contract, as shown below.

Goalies Skaters
      Age Years Age Years
      18 6* 18 5*
      19 5* 19 4*
      20 4 20 3
      21 4 21 3
      22 4 22 3
      23 3 23 3
      24 2 24 2
      25+ 1 25+ 1

For anyone 20 or older, the year in which they play their first professional game is considered the first year counting towards the number of years they are exempt from waivers.

*If an 18 or 19 year old plays in 11 or more NHL games in a season, then the eligible period drops to 4 years for a goalie and 3 years for a skater, with the first year of that period being the year in which the player played 11 or more games.

(Example: Nazem Kadri & John Tavares both signed their first NHL contract as 18 year olds. However, Tavares has played more than 11 games as an 18 year-old. Therefore, Tavares is now waiver-exempt for 4 years (this year, and the 3 ensuing years), while Kadri is waiver-exempt for 6 (this year and the 5 ensuing, although this could change if he plays next season).

The other factor is games played. Once a player reaches the threshold (again based on the age at which they signed their first professional contract), they are eligible for waivers. The language of the CBA is very clear that while there are two distinct thresholds, this is an “earliest of” scenario. If a player reaches their games played mark before the reach the years mark (or vice versa), they become eligible for waivers.

Goalies Skaters
      Age Games Age Games
      18 80 18 160
      19 80 19 160
      20 80 20 160
      21 60 21 80
      22 60 22 70
      23 60 23 60
      24 60 24 60
      25+ 25+

Professional Games is typically defined as all NHL regular season and playoff games. However, for players older than 20 years of age, the definition expands to include AHL regular season and playoff games, as well as any other professional game played in Europe while the player is under contract to an NHL team but on loan to a European club. A 25 year old or older basically gets his first year waiver eligible and that’s it.

61. TommyB says:

So the Hockey News predicts the Habs to finish in 13th place in the East. Hey, they gotta write something during the off-season. They still have bills and salaries to pay. Predicting the order of finish for a season that hasn’t seen one single game yet is kinda like the TSN monkey spinning the wheel and predicting playoff series winners. There is no difference. None whatsoever. Too many things can go wrong, or right, for any team. Rosters in August could change considerably for some teams over the course of a season. Coaches can be fired. Injuries to key players can, and will, happen. Sure, you might be able to safely bet that certain teams will finish in the top half dozen and be correct, but even that is no guarantee. To predict where all teams will finish? Well, that’s just the stuff that helps to sell summer editions of the Hockey News. If you bought one, well, hope you got your money’s worth.

62. accp says:

If we have a training camp this year. going in up front the team would look something like this.

Max-Pac DD Cole
    Bourque Pleks Gionta
    Moen Eller Armstrong
    Prust White Nokelainen
    Gomez

with this lineup — Playoffs, Maybe — Stanley cup, not a chance.
    The Bottom six. we may have some toughness, not much else….
    and one question mark in the top six.

• stevieray says:

A bigger question mark to me is how effective will our PP be this year ?..If you recall the PP really stunk it up last year…
      I guess it all depends on Markov’e return …and ..if PK can HIT THE NET !

• accp says:

Stevie – if Markov can stay healthy and with Gionta back maybe we’ll be a little better. MB didn’t make many changes up front to improve the scoring. maybe he’s hoping Gomez and Bourque comes to life and a surprise in training camp from someone or he knew something we didn’t know of a possible lockout and take his chances. if he’s waiting for the Kids from Hamilton. we’re probably looking at a couple more years before we have a real competitive team. anyway what he’s done so far didn’t cost us any prospects and that’s a good thing unlike other management we’ve had. give away good prospects and nothing in return….

• boing007 says:

And also cut down on his back swing. It might be great for golf, not so much for scoring goals on the powerplay.

RichardR
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I still say an ‘End of Summer Sale!’ Andrei Kostitsyn would look good on that roster. He can play 2nd line LW with Tomas Plekanec or 3rd line RW with Lars, he gives more depth so Petteri Nokelainen is in the press box as injury insurance. Andrei is also injury protection, he can move anywhere in these Top 3 lines and give us his patented disaffected idiot savant 20 goals and solid one game out of four. Again, at the trade deadline we can flip him for another second rounder, make another GM think that in the right environment (sans Alex Radulov) they can make him flourish and thrive, and that he’ll be the detph/sniper they need for a Cup run. Right David Poile?

That’s my fan opinion, looking at that roster, it looks really shallow. Adding Andrei gives us another, ahem, tool. Of course, Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien probably see it differently, think they’ll be adding to the team chemistry and work ethic by not bringing in Andrei. Which makes me wonder why we give those guys all these suggestions if they’re not going to listen.

If AK is a no-go, then we’re leaving a spot open for a Brendan Gallagher, Louis Leblanc or Blake Geoffrion to waltz in. Again, not a problem if these guys play with the Grand Club, as long as Jacques Martin isn’t in the immediate surroundings wielding his BenchStapler™.

• Insomnius says:

I for one also think it’s worth looking at AK again. His chemistry with Eller was palpable. With a former 20 goal scorer like Armstrong on the other side, this could be a rather formidable 3rd line.

I also think we’re going to see a bounce back year from Bourque – Gionta missed lots of time last year and his work ethic was missing from the chemistry on the team. I think he will really get in Bourque’s kitchen for any lackadaisical play.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hope that Brian Gionta and others can help point René Bourque in the right direction, but we have to remember that what we see is what we get to a great extent with him. At best, I’m prepared to give him a mulligan on his last half-season, and expect him to perform as he has the last few years in Calgary.

Having said that, we know that René is a moody, streaky player. He’s not going to become Erik Cole from one season to the next. And we have to remember that he had Jarome Iginla as his captain for years and that never rubbed off on him too much, so we shouldn’t expect our captain or Erik or Max to rub off on him to any great degree.

So we should think of Mr. Bourque as an asset who brings a lot to the table, and temper our expectations to exclude any great transformation for a player who is past 30.

• Insomnius says:

If we can get him back to the 25 goal range, I’d be more than satisfied. That would suggest Pleks and Gionta would also be in that range.

I also hope the team does a TON of shootout practice – we lost a bunch of games in shootouts last year – I think our season was somewhat salvageable had we won more of our shootouts. I would begin and end every practice with shootout drills..

• accp says:

Un Canadien errant – agree 100%

• longbow says:

I like the idea of signing AK too. I’d sign him for one year. If it’s the same old story then I cut him loose. If he produces then by all means see what I can get for him. I think we got the Dalton Thrower pick for him last year. I’d be more than happy with that again.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly. No risk to a one-year contract, we have a better team to watch through this half-season, and we allow the kids to play in Hamilton. It’s a win all around.

A line of Lars Eller with Andrei and Colby Armstrong is intriguing.

63. HabFab says:

Off hockey but a feel good and then scary piece of information.
    Canada has 7 out of the top 50 banks in the world based on being Financially Safe and Solvent.
    How many more banks then 7 do we have?

64. commandant says:

For something a little different today. Rory wrote the Top 10 athletes who have never won the big one.

• 24 Cups says:

Marcel Dionne is the greatest NHLer to never have won a Cup.

If Detroit finishes last then there’s a good chance Lafleur is a Red Wing and Dionne is a Hab. Could you imagine if Lafleur had never won a Cup in his career?

Of course, Pollock would probably have engineered a trade for him at some point further down the road.

• commandant says:

I think you and the author agree on that, as Dionne is the highest ranked NHLer on the list.

• B says:

In hindsight, they may have been even better off drafting Dionne instead of Lafleur? Don’t get me wrong, I love Lafleur and what he did for the Habs, but he did play on some of the strongest teams ever in the NHL while Dionne was more productive elsewhere on weaker teams. Then again, perhaps Lafleur would have been even more productive without the “distractions” that came with his lifestyle of being a super celebrity in Montreal. Of course we will never know the answer to these ponderings (and things did work out pretty great as it was for the Habs in that era).

Lafleur had panache, he had the flamboyance our team was deserving of. Always electrified the building. The other guy I would put ahead of Sundin is Gilbert Perrault, he would have been a beautiful Hab!

• New says:

I think it was 81 when team Canada had an international series. Perrault didn’t make the whole series, he got injured. But for a few games Perrault, Lafleur and Gretzky played on a line together. It wasn’t until then that I saw how good each really was. They took the game to a whole new level, and Perrault was the center leading the charge. What a player and what a line.

• kairos66 says:

What an interesting hypothesis. The Flower was heads and tails a better player then Dionne! How productive do you need to get then 6 straight 50+ goals and 100+ points seasons, two Hart trophies and three scoring titles as well as one Conn Smythe. Lafleur played in a pressure cooker for a hockey environment, while Dionne never had to deal with the pressure to win at all costs. If you want to see how great the Flower was next time the NHL Network braodcasts the 1979 game 7 semi-finals against Boston, you will see Lafleur dominate. In the 3rd period Bowman had doubled shift the Flower!

Kairos66

Agree, no way I take Dionne over Lafleur. Lafleur could single handedly take over games, he intimidated other teams with his speed and skill. Dionne was a great player, but Guy was Guy. Something about the real special ones they are known by their first name. Guy, Gordie, Maurice no need for a last name.

• ont fan says:

I remember a Canada Cup with Perreault, Lafleur and Gretzky. Majic. Perreault got hurt and Dionne took his place…not so much.

• carolinahab says:

Lafleur 1979 game 7 versus the Bruins he was everywhere. He was the flying frenchman. He was everywhere on the ice. Having grown up watching Lafleur I know he could be a little lazy some nights but when it counted he did not have a contemporary.

• ont fan says:

I seem to remember Pollock trying to trade for Dionne and Robinson was in the mix. Does that sound right?

I would put Dale Hawerchuk ahead of Mats Sundin without blinking. Guy carried an expansion franchise on his back for years in Wpg. Still had productive hockey left in him when he went to Buffao. Almost 200 less games played and more points. Sundin gets much credit because he played for a franchise that was once storied.

• Un Canadien errant says:

A word about Ken Griffey Jr. being on that list. I think he disqualifies himself by being his own worst enemy. If he had kept his mouth shut and played hard in Seattle, he would have had a much better chance to win surrounded by Alex Rodriguez, Edgar Martinez and Jay Buhner (remember how Frank Costanza rued letting Buhner go? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwSxqnRW-8).

I’ll always remember Junior ‘deer caught in the headlights’ expression at his press conference upon finally landing in Cincy. Classic “What have I done?” pose.

Out here, the American channels we get are from Seattle, and we get a lot of visitors from Seattle as well, and the people were gutted by the defection. I never wished him ill or anything, but I certainly didn’t want him to benefit from his boneheadedness, kind of like I wanted LeBron to never win after leaving Cleveland. So it was a shame for Junior to suffer all those injuries that robbed him of the chance to be a once-in-a-lifetime player, but I never felt sorry for him. And I felt his return to Seattle to finish his career was a complete joke.

65. naweed235 says:

2 questions:
    1) If there is a lockout for the full season, what happens to all the one year contracts? Do they get moved to the next season or do they just simply expire? if the lather, do the players get paid?
    2) If there is a half season lockout, what happens to players that signed with teams abroad?

• commandant says:

1) It would need to be decided as part of the CBA.

Last time all the contracts advanced 1 year, and no one was paid. However this doesn’t mean the same thing happens.

2) Most players signed abroad will have out clauses that say they are released from the deal if the lockout ends.

• 24 Cups says:

1. There is no point having the threat of a lockout if the players are then to get their contracts extended after the deal is done.

2. Most NHL scabs that go to Europe have ‘out’ clauses. I’m assuming the guys whose jobs they stole will not get paid.

• stevieray says:

Couldn’t agree more partner. Scabs is right !..I remember Rick Nash playing against out Canadian boys in the Spangler Cup during the last lock out/ work stoppage ….
        Having one player on the team I can’t stand is enough….I’m glad Nash is in NY…

• naweed235 says:

66. centre hice says:

Check out #2 on the list of players who made the best impression.

67. HabFab says:

Money numbers from Forbes NHL 2011;
    - 12 teams made $252.6 million
    - 18 teams lost $126.1 million

• Malreg says:

It’s been said before, but Forbes is usually way off on their “estimates”. They don’t have access to team records, and are just making guesses.

• Habfan10912 says:

Mal, I bet the NHLPA would love to get their hands on those books, huh?

———————————–

• HabFab says:

True with the teams, however since they do have overall figures then it would have to balance out somewhere in the middle.

• commandant says:

They only have overall numbers for revenue…. they do not have overall numbers for expenses. Therefore any amount on “profit” is just a guess.

On top of that, calling it “profit” isn’t correct. Forbes itself uses the words “operating income” and that is because other factors like tax writeoffs, capital gains, and other issues are not factored in, which push many of those 18 teams into the profit (sure not columbus and phoenix) but many others.

• joeybarrie says:

and just so you know. Anytime a business or person files taxes, it becomes public record. So they do have access.
        Buy a house, public record. Go to court, public record. Pay a tax, public record. Miss a payment, public record.

• commandant says:

Personal Income taxes are NOT public record.

Corporate business taxes for corporations that are not traded on a public stock exchange are NOT public record.

The other things you mention are… but those are NOT and Forbes does not have access to them.

On top of that, Forbes themselves states that these are just estimates. Lets remember Forbes is a business magazine, and the guys working on this spend 12 months a year on other business stories, not on analyzing hockey. Its just a guess on one or two weeks worth of work.

• joeybarrie says:

You are incorrect. You simply have to know how to look it up. And yes the forbes writers have other stories. But they do have a research department. The info is out there. Its fairly easy to look up.
            How do you think they know people’s net worth?

• commandant says:

I’m a lawyer by day.

I run into this issue EVERY SINGLE DAY, when I’m trying to figure out what the true income is for someone who runs their own business.

Try getting the taxes for a corporation that is not on the publc stock exchange. Go ahead… call the Canada Revenue Agency to try to find out. They are gonna tell you that if you want the income tax filings, you better get a court order to release them. Its not happening without that. Getting a court order is difficult.

As for Forbes estimates on people’s net worth, they are ESTIMATES.

Seriously I know this as 100% fact. Tax information is NOT public record.

• Habfan10912 says:

The 12 winners being Habs Rangers Canucks Leaf’s Wings Bruins Flyers Hawks Flames Caps Pens and Jets?
      Edit- Good morning Frank.
      ———————————–

• HabFab says:

Good morning Jim.
        Original Six plus 4 other Canadian teams (not Winnipeg as 2011), Philadelphia and Colorado.
        A lot of teams are financially bubble teams…get into the playoffs and go a couple rounds to show a profit. Don’t have a major salary on LTIR that you get cap relief from but still have to pay.
        Toronto , Rangers and Montreal make 2/3′s of that profit while Phoenix and Columbus make 30% of the losses.

• joeybarrie says:

While I agree those numbers do not tell the whole story, they are based on the taxes the teams pay. So its not an unfair assessment.
      The biggest thing is each team is evaluated using the same criteria. So the numbers given are fairly helpful.

68. frankcasting says:

.. for an injury-plagued team that won only 31 games, the Habs only gave up 14 more goals than they scored in 2011-2012; The Caps gave up 8 more goals than they scored and won 42 games, and almost made the conference final. That’s how tight the NHL East was, and how critical it is to win OT/SO games, something the Habs and Carey *really* need to work on going forward.

Did the Habs do enough this summer, and can their healthy players make enough of a difference to turn that goal and point differential around? I’d like to think so, just the toughness, experience and depth on the last two lines alone will help enormously.

Loving the Habs since 1965

• joeybarrie says:

I think the idea behind improving the bottom 6 and adding size and grit was to help the team last a full 60 minutes. With injuries last season we couldn’t play the last 5 the way we should have. Top players had already played too many minutes, and we lost a lot of games in the last few minutes. Not being able to hold on.
      Part of it may have been coaching style. We addressed both issues.
      The thing we need is someone to score a shootout goal. Carey can’t do it all on his own. And for the bashers saying Carey sucks in a shootout, look at h8s percentages in a shootout. They are average, like most goalies.
      We need to score in the shootout to win. Cause if we don’t score in them, we can put Patrick Roy and Ken Dryden in goals at the same time in both their prime…. And we will still lose.

• Coca Cola Kid says:

Everyone seems to forget the joke of a “training camp” we had last year. If we would have won half the games we lost at the beginning of the season we wouldn’t have missed the playoffs. Hopefully this year we will have a training camp instead of an exhibition season camp where 20 players are cut the day before the first game of the season

69. habitunts1 says:

I’m interestd in seeing what clubs are giving tryouts to Kovalev does anyone know what teams are involved in his possible return to the NHL?

#10

70. 44har48 says:

:) People still read that rubish?

I think the Habs will be improved in the win column vs. last year – and thus finish somewhere between 7-11 – “as-is”. I could argue Price might settle into this contract and regress, but I think having it, and the way our GM handled his situation, is going to give him the confidence (really ??? he needs more?) to take the next step. Our PP (and team in general) will be much improved with better coaching, a fresh/better attitude, and of course Andrei Markov. Don’t fool yourselves, if ths guy is 80%, and I think he will be more than that, he is one of the best QBs in the league on the PP. These factors alone will win some of those 1 goal games we lost, and win games in regulation that we lost in OT – there won’t be OT.

I also am not sure that our GM is done yet with the 2012-13 roster. He hasn’t made his “mark” yet.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree 44. Markov is the key to the team overall. If he’s healthy I can see the club in the hunt but the real success of this team will come further down the road when the defence gets a complete remodel job. Making the playoffs is not a must for me this year. Making sure the youngsters develop would be my priority. Hopefully at the very least the team will be a better watch this season. Happy Sunday!

———————————–

• Mad Habber says:

Well I general have a good laugh at THN’s predictions; remember last year Proteau predicted the leafs would finish 8th ahead of the Habs. Then at the half way point he wrote another article bragging about how he was right. Well the Leafs did finish a head of the Habs they were relatively healthy and still finished only two points a head with both Gionta and Markov (Gomez?) missing most of the season. They might as well draw names out of a hat.

I’m still sorely disappointed in Sportsnet too, they told me at the all-star break the Leafs were going to the post season. HAHA

—-

As good as Markov is, I doubt he would’ve changed the results from last season much. Most of the problem came from not being able to hold leads, and not having true skilled players for the shootouts.

71. BJ says:

Just received from a friend connected to a Swiss Elite League team that Davos has already signed Nash, Thornton and Niederreiter. Naturally that is conditional on a strike. I guess players are already considering plan B.

• Malreg says:

Thornton played in Davos during the last lockout. That’s where he met his wife, and he still trains there in the summer, so it makes sense.

Nash and his agent both vehemently denied this report when asked by TSN.

Off to mother Russia tomorrow. I am on a worldwide tour to sign a petition to bring MAB back.

73. Steven says:

So, I noticed a discussion before about moving Bourque to the RW(his natural position) and moving one of Cole or Gionta, and how that in itself could cause a problem.

My thought is this: Bourque didn’t work very well with us in his first year, and although I believe he could turn it around this year(and, in fact, I think he will), I’m not sure it’s worth the gamble if you have to play him on his uncomfortable LW again.

My thought is we could probably trade him for a LW(I’m not crazy about the thought of a package, though).

My question to you all is, best case scenario, what’s Bourque’s return? Can we get a solid 2nd LW for Bourque, not taking into account his dismal season last year?

• commandant says:

Eller really needs a winger with him who can put the puck in the net too. If he’s ever going to provide offence, he needs someone to play with.

I would put Bourque as the third line RW beside him, and try to find someone in camp to play on the second line LW.