This week’s Hockey Inside/Out special section

Chris Nilan

Chris Nilan in front of portraits of Maurice Richard (left) and Howie Morenz.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

This week’s Hockey Inside/Out section, which was published in Thursday’s Gazette, focuses on a couple of former NHLers who have battled alcohol and drug addiction and managed to get their lives back on track – Chris Nilan and Derek Sanderson.

Brenda Branswell wrote a feature on the new documentary film The Last Gladiators, which focuses mainly on the life of former Canadiens enforcer Nilan, who racked up more than 3,500 penalty minutes in his 13 years in the NHL while earning the nickname “Knuckles”. The film opens across the country on Friday.

You can read that feature by clicking here.

Branswell also wrote a sidebar on how the movie undoes the “goon” stereotype.

“I think enforcers are still there in hockey,” film director Alex Gibney, who won an Academy Award for best documentary feature in 2008 for Taxi to the Dark Side, told Branswell. “But I’d say the golden age of the enforcer is probably over.”

You can read that story by clicking here.

Dave Stubbs has a feature on former Boston Bruin Sanderson, who was in town this week promoting his new autobiography Crossing The Line: The Outrageous Story of a Hockey Original. Sanderson realized there was a good life in front of him without the booze and the drugs and carousing he was once known for. It has been 30 years since he had his last drink, he hasn’t consumed any drugs since 1985 and it’s been a decade since his last cigarette.

You can read Stubbs’s feature by clicking here.

Stubbs also wrote a sidebar on Sanderson, who recalls throwing a punch at Canadiens great Jean Beliveau as a rookie and having to deal with John Ferguson as a result.

You can read that story by clicking here.

Pat Hickey wrote a column on a new book by Rosie DiManno titled Coach: The Pat Burns Story. Hickey writes that the book separates fact from fiction about the former Canadiens coach.

You can read Hickey’s column by clicking here.

Hickey also has a couple of stories on the Hamilton Bulldogs, one focusing on coach Sylvain Lefebvre (which you can read by clicking here) and another on Darryl Boyce, a veteran free-agent signing who will provide some leadership for the young AHL team.  You can read the Boyce story by clicking here.

And finally, Stubbs writes about how Habs fans can bid for a dinner at Montreal steak house Moishes with Canadiens forward Colby Armstrong, former Hab Mathieu Darche and possibly a few other Habs players with all proceeds going to The Gazette Christmas Fund. You can read that article by clicking here and place your bid at hockeyinsideout.com/auction. The bidding started Thursday morning and will continue until Oct. 30 at 11 a.m. ET.

1. joeybarrie says:

Reading Ian’s story below where an nhl owner sold out 86% of their games and still lost 80 million…
    First off 86 percent of the games adds up to 35.5 games… Weird stat.
    Second at $30 for the average ticket, the Dallas Stars make 23 million in ticket sales. 55 million is salary, how could they have lost 80 million?
    30-35 million, maybe. But 80 million?
    The phoenix coyotes lost 118 million dollars in the last 9 years. Their attendance is no where near selling out 86% of the games. And in fact, if you are selling out all but 6 games in a 41 home game season, clearly business is not your strength.
    The bottom 27 NHL teams had a net loss last season of 44 million.
    Something doesn’t add up.
    I feel like the owners will say anything. In the end, if they were not doing so well, how could they afford 100 million dollar contracts???

2. Habilis says:

So the President of the United States can take time out of his re-election campaign to weigh in on the lockout, but Fehr and Bettman won’t even talk to each other. Sounds like par for the course from this farce of a negotiation.

It’s truly amazing to me that the NHL sits in fourth place among the big four sports in North America and yet they have missed by far the most games to labor stoppages, with the clock still running. Can nobody see a correlation there??? How can these “negotiators” even look at themselves in the mirror anymore? They are utter and complete failures who belong in a sandbox, arguing over a pail and shovel.

3. Psycho29 says:

If you need a hockey fix, tomorrow night at 7PM Sportsnet East will carry Moncton at Blainville-Boisbriand.

4. Bripro says:

Hockey Frustration Song no. 15

Cue the music!

It seems like yesterday
    But it was long ago
    Hockey was the game, it was the rule of my nights
    Listening to Irving and Gallivan on the radio
    And those games that we shared
    Lafleur with all the moves
    Watching him blair in full control
    Till he had nothin’ left to prove showing all his moves

And I remember what Dad said to me
    How he swore the game never would end
    I remember how we spoke that night
    Wish I could I see now what I couldn’t see then

Yearning for a win
    We were fans pushing for a win
    I was young and strong, I was skating
    For a win

And the years rolled slowly past
    We found Bettman at the top
    Surrounded bv lawyers fans thought were our friends
    We found the game further and further from our hearts
    And the league has lost its way
    Now franchises galore
    Still watching the game makes it easier to live
    Never having heard of a lock-out from what fans know

Watching our beloved Habs in constant decline
    With those loses, it just don’t mend
    I began to find myself searchin’
    Searching for wins that don’t come again

Yearning for a win
    We’re fans calling for a win
    Not so young and strong, but want skating
    to start again

(Instrumental)

Well all of Fehr’s players are locked-out now
    They’ve got so much more to think about
    Contracts and commitments
    What to leave in, what to leave out

Yearning for a win
    We’re fans calling for a win
    We’re not young at all, but want skating
    to start again

Well I’m older now but still wanting to live the win
    To live the win
    To feel the win
    Another win …

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

5. Lizardking89 says:

So David Stern is retiring after this season, too bad his buddy Bettman wouldn’t follow suit and GTFO!

Ok boys and girls,
    I have the latest scoop on the lock out by way of a few rum with a couple of hockey people in conversation, one of whom just happens to own a NHL franchise. (I will not disclose who.)

After my query about the lock out to this specific owner, the conversation went like this!–Ian, how long do you think it will take before we are playing games again? Owner, last year we sold out 86% of our games! and I still lost over $80 million, so if they never play a game this year, I am up $80 million.
    The players have a lot of thinking to do before their next pay checks are ever delivered. We are in for the long hall if need be.

Looks like there is going to be a lot of repo guys collecting $200,000 dollar cars and mortgages from players if they continue to hold out.
    A couple of these people suggest that the players need money and some are hurting already, so they said we might be on the ice after New Years!

Just reporting what was said!

• Ron says:

And let the guessing begin as to which team you are talking about. Haha Ian good piece. Hope it didn’t take to many rums to loosen him up.

• Habfan10912 says:

Haven’t we been down this same road before? Didn’t the owners and their leader publicly state that the last work stoppage and it’s subsequent agreement created stability to the industry. Guess what? They lied. I’m not believing anything either part spouts. Thanks for sharing this story Ian. Not mad at you.

———————————–

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Wait a second Ian! If that guy isn’t lying (he’s Totally lying, by the way) then he could have a $ 1,000,000.00 (one million dollar) salary cap and still lose like 7 or 8 million dollars every year. Doesn’t that sound a little fishy?

• Trisomy 21 says:

I call shinanigans

7. HabFanSince72 says:

Commandant echoes a point I have been making for some time: Canada’s national game is on hold again because of 20 American owners who couldn’t care less about the game. But don’t blame them – blame us for selling out our cultural heritage.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

8. Mavid says:

you get to go in the dressing room, and meet some players..shit now i am sorry I did not sign up to go…

9. Mattyleg says:

Here’s a little story for the summiteers, if it’s not too late:

At 11:00 today someone stole my bro-in-law’s bike from where it was chained on my front steps. He was visiting, and he’d dropped his keys, and the thief, instead of putting them through the letter-box or knocking, stole the effing bike.

I found out about it, and my bro was really pissed off because he’s a musician, and it’s his main mode of transportation. He went to work depressed, and I started thinking:

“If the person was walking in my area, he probably lives in my area.” So I got on my own bike and toured around my area, looking down every alleyway and into every back yard I could see.

Wouldn’t you know it, the effing bike was chained to a tree one street over, one block down. Right on the sidewalk in front of a crackhouse.

I called the cops, they came and said there was nothing they could do, because there was no proof that my bro owned the bike, so they said, if it belongs to you, take it back.

So I locked the bike with my OWN u-lock and went home, got the neighbour, and a couple of hours later, we went by with his grinder and cut the original lock, and reclaimed the bike.

Only catch to the story is that keys for my house, where the bike was, were on the keychain. Locksmith coming by tomorrow morning to change the locks.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. commandant says:

Its too bad that teams like the Florida Panthers are doing so poorly that we have these lockouts.

I mean, the same owner owns both the arena and the team.

It seems the Panthers are operating at a loss.

According to County Auditors Rpt (2010),Arena Operating Company (over 10 yrs) generated $316M revenue, $90M in net income.

Since this was classified as “arena income” and not “team income” none of that got counted in HRR, nor did it get counted in the Forbes reports I hear so much about that show the team losing so much money.

Now while not all of the arena money can be attributed to hockey, consider that there is no NBA team in said arena, and while their may be special events or concerts, hockey is the biggest thing on the arena schedule.

Just another way the owners manipulate the figures. Oh, I own the arena and the team…. I guess I’ll allocate more revenue as Arena Revenue and less as Team Revenue between my two corporations.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

Heavy on the hate brother!

• Luke says:

Comcast owns the Flyers & broadcasts their games. Should a portion of Comcast’s ad revenue during hockey broadcasts be considered HRR?

If you include the Arena’s (or Comcast’s) renevue as part of HRR, would you also include their operating costs?

Can we include a player’s sponsorship deals in the HRR discussion?

• HabFab says:

Quit trying to be logical… doesn’t fly around here!

• commandant says:

The answer is probably more complex than you’d guess, and 2 big questions need to be asked.

a) What is the regular price that the Flyers would earn from selling their games on the open market, in an arm’s length transaction?
        b) What is the price that they are being paid by comcast for broadcast rights?

If there is a difference between those two numbers, then yes I would say that there is a diversion of revenue away from HRR and towards the owners other business, the diversion would be the difference between 1 and 2.

Comcast should pay fair market value for the games, and contribute this towards HRR if the two companies are going to be operated as seperate corporations.

Due to the way the CBA is written the players are Stakeholders in the NHL’s revenues. And if Ed Snyder diverts revenue from one business to another, by selling broadcast rights at an unfair price (as set by market standards), then yes he should have to account for that.

In this case.. we have to ask, what percentage of revenues is the arena taking from concessions? What is the average % an arena takes from a team when they aren’t owned by the same people? How much do the Panthers pay for their lease? is that fair compared to other teams? How much parking, merchandise, ticket sales, etc… is Panther money and how much arena money? What is the standard?

Anything the arena is siphoning off above the industry standard for a team that doesn’t own its arena, should be included in HRR.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• frontenac1 says:

Good work Commandant! There is a whole other world going on with some of these owners. Check the resumes of some of these guys. Frightening really.

• Gerry H says:

Bang on the money, Commandant (as is so often the case). Elliotte Friedman did a nice column a month or two ago on how the arena deals are at the heart of modern NHL economics. He was explaining why Daryl Katz is so focused on the deal for a new arena in Edmonton. He illustrated the point by using San Jose as an example. Despite selling out literally every game last season, they showed a loss of over $30 million. Yet, when season ticket holders began to panic, he reassured them not to worry, “the Sharks are here to stay.” Of course, the structure of the arena deal was the explanation.

Frankly, I hope the IRS starts sniffing around the NHL. Those lads can be awfully aggressive…

11. Bripro says:

The NHL will withdraw its proposal after the deadline.
    Kiss this season goodbye!

12. frontenac1 says:

Edit! Its the Rocket Ha! Mas tequila por favor. Saludos!!

• Bripro says:

By the way, just to let you know, the Salaberry is up for sale.

13. frontenac1 says:

How about that picture Amigos? Gros Bill, Knuckles and The Stratford Streak. Nice eh? Feelin Better Already!

• Bripro says:

Gros Bill is Jean Beliveau, front.
      You mean the Rocket.

14. New says:

They’re still locked out? Wow! Things like the Beiber tour are pretty well booked tight but maybe Centre Bell can schedule other stuff that Bettman likes to see play there.

15. shiram says:

Does anyone know if there will be other representations of The last Gladiator, maybe in november?

16. jeffhabfan says:

Great read on KNUCKLES.Sad to see what happen to him after but great to see he got alot of help.Iam looking forward to seeing the movie about ENFORCERS.

17. Bripro says:

Stubbs tweeted about an hour ago that their steak auction has already hit $660, 2 hours in, with 5 days to go.
    Man, they’re already $160 over my wife-approved budget. Crap!
    I’m just not in the same league….

Edit: $1,000, 4 hours in…

18. Dr.Rex says:

IN the calendar year of 2010 Sidney Crosby pulled in over 13 million dollars in salary and endorsements. Now he has spoken out about the NHL trying to cut salary since he is clearly in a position to live well for the rest of his life even if he never plays another game. But what about the players who have a 1-2 year hockey career that will leave the game with severe head or body injuries. Can these players really survive losing 50-100% of their shelf life? It is extremely greedy of top paid players to encourage a work stoppage if 100% of their long, bent up contracts are not fulfilled. These players are the greedy and they do not have the best interest of the entire PA. Sidney Crosby is a tool and clearly at this point in his life does not have a ton of intellectual knowledge.

• Timo says:

I don’t think he did at any point in his life, not just this one.

• ianism says:

mmmh no. clearly the players seem to be mostly agreed on this. the number of guys with THAT limited a ‘shelf life’ is definitely pretty small. and they’ll just go get a regular job when that time is up anyways. what’s at stake here is how the league treats the players as well as how it supports the teams in weaker markets. the players have a proposal that works. the owners do not. and anyways, the players are making that kind of money because they are doing something that – quite literally – nobody else in the world can do. can you say the same for the owners? people who have built up their fortunes by running major companies? not really.

• Cal says:

LOL. Thinking it takes no skill to run and/or own multi-billion dollar businesses is hysterical. It takes 24/7 dedication, just the same as athletes. Except the discipline is different. If an athlete loses, he/she gets to try again another day. If an owner loses, the economic lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of people are affected.

• New says:

That’s such a great point. The Centre Bell will do well regardless of the Canadiens dates. The entertainment bucks will come in anyway. The cost just goes to singers rather than hockey players.

• New says:

I thought they were locked out? Isn’t that when your employer shuts it down? How does it work out that Crosby or the other players are at fault for not wanting to take a pay cut to provide the same services when the owners make record revenues?

• commandant says:

The owners locked him out.

The owners who are billionaires, and have made record revenues in the last 7 years have locked him and the other players out and want him to take a paycut on a contract the Penguins ownership handed him on July 1st.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

19. Habfan10912 says:

Dear NBA;
    We just heard your Commissioner David Stern is retiring. We have just the person for his replacement. He comes complete with many years of experience. He even has many years working for the NBA. His name Gary Bettman.

Love,
    NHL Fans

———————————–

20. Bripro says:

David Stern is retiring.
    Who is Bettman going to emulate now?

21. Bripro says:

Afternoon all. A few notes:

1. Cal, I liked your musical interlude. Never heard of those guys before, but me liketh!
    2. For the mini-summiteers. I’m so envious, you have no idea. Watched a AAA local practice last night. It pales, but at least I got my fix.
    3. We’re thursday, and it doesn’t look any better than yesterday, or last week, or the week before, or…. well, you get it.
    4. Finally, I see a few of us made the Gazette Hard Copy. Congrats to
    Habfab, piper, (me … yoo hoo), Matty, geo, kooch, Cal, Burly and byrneo. Good job, all.

• Kooch7800 says:

What article was everyone quoted in? Sorry Bri, my little one was sick last night so I am a little sleep deprived!

Sorry to hear you are not coming tomorrow btw. I wanted to get a chance to say hi.

• Bripro says:

You’re hard-copied in today’s Gazette.
        Your comment of yesterday about being “sick and tired of hearing about the lock-out…..not getting any press in the states.”

As for tomorrow, I was supposed to go. I had it scheduled as a business trip for a Brampton customer, but they re-scheduled on me.
        At the same time, the server and external backup for my business crashed, and our computer guru will be here tomorrow. There’s just not enough time.
        Too bad, because there’s a gang of you I enjoy ribbing with that I wanted to meet. It will have to go to another Mini or Maxi summit.
        Enjoy tomorrow, and if you’re drinking a Guinness, have one on me! Cheers!

• Habfan10912 says:

You will be missed Bri.
      @Kooch- Please see chrsadiens post below. See you tomorrow!

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Sorry buddy. I’d love to be there.
        If I could be in two places….
        Did you and Gerry manage to pass my ticket?
        I told him the other day to send me the bill. Not a problem….

• Habfan10912 says:

Yep. All taken care of bud. We’re good. Next time for sure, right? :)

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Absolutely!

• Timo says:

You guys need to get a room.

• Bripro says:

With 21,283 seats, right?

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to meeting you guys tomorrow. We are all in section 122 I believe (Centre Ice). I won’ t be able to make it to the restaurant before unfortunately. It will be a little to tight for me after work.

Looking forward to it

• Bripro says:

Hope your little one is feeling better.

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks, I appreciate it. She is in good spirits today so fingers crossed!

Hopefully you can get your server issues sorted quickly. Computers and technology are great when they work but when they fail it is a pain in the rear

22. Dr.Rex says:

I wonder how many Shills the NHL have hired to save their image.

23. brianp1950 says:

How about a split of 48/48 and the extra funds go to reduce the high ticket prices on cities that are subsidizing teams not making money. Maybe then I could afford to go to a game!

• B says:

I wonder how much of the expensive ticket prices Habs fans pay goes in to subsidizing (>$10M in revenue sharing) to teams who charge way less for tickets?

• Bripro says:

Hey Bri! Welcome to the club. I like your name, by the way!

*********************************************

Hockey fans voice their displeasure with the lockout.

YOUR! CALL: WHAT WILL THE NHL HAVE TO DO TO BRING FANS BACK?

The comments are worth reading. Sums up a couple of things I said. I will not be attending games, I wont buy any merchandise, I will notplunk one red cent towards the NHL. Not at least until Bettman is turfed, Phoenix is done as an NHL town and hopefully not until the league contracts to no more than 24 teams. Screw the NBC contract.

• shiram says:

I’m sure your significant other will be pleased to hear about the savings.

• HardHabits says:

More like my health. I am spending more time in the gym. I am eating better and drinking less. I am going to get some hockey gear this winter and start playing pick up at the local out door rink.

• shiram says:

Well cheers to that HH, at least you can get your fix elsewhere.
          I would agree that turfing Bettman, moving the Yotes out of Phoenix and some contraction would likely have a positive impact on the game of hockey in the NHL, but I can’t believe any of these will happen any time soon, apart from Phoenix moving, so I made my peace with all of it.

• Habfan10912 says:

A good recipe for all if us HH. Good luck! CHeers

———————————–

25. Chrisadiens says:

To all those attending the Mini Summit in Hamilton/Burlington: Email from Greg Diamond of the Bulldogs office…..

Hi Gerry (HabinBurlington),

It was my pleasure helping coordinate the game for your group. I believe the number is roughly 20 for the H I/O group though a few more calls may have gone through colleagues.

I have it all set-up for your group to meet some of the players post-game. I would just be having your group meet me in a certain area we can arrange and then I will bring you down to the dressing room area.

I think that’s all the info for now, I will have your seat numbers so I will make sure to come down and introduce myself during the game as well.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any other questions or info.

Thanks Gerry!

Greg

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

26. English is not a Crime says:

So Gary Bettman’s 20 years in the NHL have brought us:
    -Work stoppage #1 a strike that threatened the playoffs (brief).
    -Work stoppage #2 a lockout that was supposedly supposed to save teams like Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford… and was immediately followed by all three leaving (cost us half a season)
    -Glow pucks
    -Expansion into Atlanta (again), Carolina, Miami, Tampa, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville…. (3 teams in California, 2 in Ontario, 1 in Quebec?)
    -Refusal to admit that this was a mistake when almost every one of those teams basically goes belly up at some point in time.
    -Sales not allowed to billionaires but…. the Islanders keep getting cleared on their sales, guys like Boots in Nashville etc?
    -head injuries too numerous to count while the powers that be claimed the players were just faking it for insurance and they weren’t really happening (true story… look up Colin Campbell)
    -tag up offsides, no tag up offsides, tag up offsides
    -the dead puck era
    -no skates in the crease rule, a 5 minute review on every goal scored, a Cup winning goal scored with a skate in the crease that stood anyway, no more no skate in the crease rule
    -Work stoppage #3 to ‘make the game more affordable for the fans because ticket prices are outrageous’ cost us an entire season, they got the salary cap they fought for and ticket prices have doubled across the league on average since then
    -Shoot outs
    -Points for losing games in overtime
    -4 on 4 overtimes in regular season, 5 on 5 OTs still in playoffs
    -6’9 goons allowed to break necks and cause brain injuries on players half of their size with a dirty hit, that was penalized with an attempt to injure penalty, but saw no supplemental discipline because he is the captain of the team that the “disciplinarian’s son plays on”. (in what other sport can an illegal hit break someone’s neck, and leave them with a brain injury and see NO supplemental discipline handed out?)
    -Work stoppage #4 because well because Bettman hasn’t swung his tiny little member in a few years and needs to remind everyone he’s still there apparently, since they aren’t claiming to be going broke or anything. (looks like it’ll cost us another entire season)

Can we just suggest the NHLPA put a clause into any agreement they ultimately make that states “Gary Bettman may never be associated with the NHL in any way shape or form, nor have any contact with anyone involved in this league ever again” as part of the agreement?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Nice rant!

I’ll be celebrating the day Bettman steps down or is booted to the curb.

Some of those expansion teams and the point for losing in OT piss me off the most.

• English is not a Crime says:

Sadly, there are far more, but the post would have been a mile long if I didn’t stop where I stopped or if I even expanded a little bit on any of the points made above. I honestly don’t care about the lockout and am more fearful that it gets solved than not getting solved. I am hoping that Fehr has been brought in to fight and keep fighting until both he and Bettman are the ultimate casualties since nothing else seems to get rid of this most devastating force in the history of the sport. His impact has marred our game from the top right down to the minor leagues and he needs to go before he does any more damage to the sport I love(d). If it costs me a couple of NHL seasons to do it, who cares, it’ll be worth it since the NHL as it is now is all but unwatchable anyway.

• The Dude says:

Bettman is representing the owners and The douchebag that killed Expo’s is reping the players AND NOBODY REPRESENTS THE FANS….WITHOUT FANS all these FK’ers are toast and getting real jobs! The well off are “So hard done by,lol and can kiss me where the Sun don’t shine!”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Was listening to Mitch Melenick the other day, the greatest Expos fan of them all, and he said Fehr isn’t to blame for the Baseball strike or the departure of the Expos.

27. JohnBellyful says:

More than a few of us here have advocated for a reduction in the number of teams in the NHL. Today’s Globe makes a strong argument for an 18-team league (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-case-for-nhl-contraction/article4650526/).
    It’s all a pipe dream, to be sure, but imagining what it could look like does make for a nice counter-balance to what passes for news in the NHL these days.

28. commandant says:

Is the Isles move all its cracked up to be.

Our resident Long Island living, Russian born, writer Max Vasilyev takes a look.

I talked about it with him in our radio show last night as well as our usual prospect talk, lockout talk, and other hockey news, you can get the podcast in the sidebar.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Your buddy brings up an interesting point regarding the growth potential. One also has to wonder how much of the recent attendance has been due to cheap tickets and will there be a downturn with the increase in ticket price. End of day, this should help the Islanders, but it isn’t a fail safe to save the franchise.

• shiram says:

I think the corporate suites and the easier commute to the arena were the major selling points, but that arena examplifies the idea of compromise, it’s certainly not perfect.

• OakvilleHabsFan says:

I see nothing but positives with this move, the place will be rocking like the MTS centre in Winnipeg. The team will be able to attract the best free agents in the league, who would not want to live in the Big Apple and play hockey for a living, ask Marc Messier!!!

Interesting to hear Lefebrve praise Tinordi and Pateryn. I have seen one Dogs game live, watched one on TV and tried the streaming for two others. In the game at Copps I saw both of these guys were solid. I think the whole team played a stinker at the Ricoh and the streams are just not good enough to really get an idea of how some players are playing.

I have seen some rips on Tinordi here, but I think he will get better with each and every game. If indeed Pateryn becomes an NHL dman, that will be good. Helps that some of that talent traded away by the past regime is starting to pay some dividends. Bournival and Holland may also start repaying the Habs in the coming years.

30. Mondou6 says:

As much as I hate everything Bruins, Sanderson seems like a great guy. Even when he was the total homer/color guy for Bruin broadcasts, he was still likable and funny. Unlike the shtick from that tool, Jack Edwards.

31. Mattyleg says:

Quoted!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Curtis O Habs says:

The only thing that separates this labour dispute from all others involving big business and unions is back to work legislation and binding arbitration. I am also pretty sure the players have no picket line. That`s for real unions.

33. “I just want to remind the owners and the players: you guys make money because you’ve got a whole bunch of fans out there who are working really hard. They buy tickets. They’re watching on TV,” Obama said. “Y’all should be able to figure this out. Get this done.”
    Barack Obama

What is Romney’s position?

Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• Blondie says:

Missionary would be my guess. :)

• Chrisadiens says:

And then Obama said, “I love puppies”. And we all ooo-ed and ahh-ed.

Sigh….politics.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Clay says:

We can’t know Mitt’s position on anything for certain. He is the Heisenberg candidate:
      “Mitt Romney’s political viewpoints can be expressed only in terms of likelihood, not certainty. While some views are obviously far less likely than others, no view can be thought of as absolutely impossible. Thus, for instance, there is at any given moment a nonzero chance that Mitt Romney supports child slavery”
      Read more here…

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice to hear from one of the good guys.
        Incredible that many will overlook the attributes of the Republican party, who have so many, many self-proclaimed experts on rape, weapons of mass destruction, deregulation, qualifications to be an expert on Russia, and the recent forty-third president who said to past Mexican president Vincente Fox, that Mexico “is our closest friend.” (How ya been treatin’ your best friends lately?). And who insulted me personally, and all Canadians by thanking many nations on September 12th, but not Canada, because he was adamant in his belief that the terrorists entered his country through Canada (on their way to flight school in Fla.)

America is NOT an oligarchy, and whatever one solitary Republican, Romney, believes, does not cancel the strongly held beliefs of their elitist majority. Why didn’t they invite Bush or Cheney to speak at their convention? Even dumbasses know that would have been a deathblow to the Elephant party regaining the White House, and subsequently dumbassedly wreak havoc on their middle-class, their banking system, the environment, access to abortions, stem-cell research, and numerous other acts that would make the whole world a lot more uncomfortable for the majority of its denizens, and more dangerous for even those oblivious dumbass snobs.

How many are going to Replacement Summit? :-)

“May you live in interesting times.”

34. Cal says:

Great reads in this week’s HIO section. Plenty to enjoy, from Sanderson to Burns to Lefebvre and, especially, Nilan.

35. Blondie says:

Grats to HabFab, piper, Bripro, and MattyLeg on getting published! Way to go guys. :)

36. Cal says:

Ho-hum. Another day, another “deadline”. And another song.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…2 good reads by Hickey on Burns, and Stubbs on Sanderson

…I don’t recall much of Burns’ days in Montreal because it happened during years that I spent much of the time overseas, but one of My first jobs when younger was working at RCA Ltd.’s Head Office on Lenoir in St. Henri, and quite close to where Pat was once a young boy, and I can attest it was a very ‘gritty’ area of Montreal to live at the time indeed

…on Sanderson, …I ‘hated’ very few of Our Habs’ rival players or teams,

…disliked ? …certainly …but not HATE

…though, with 2 exceptions, …the Dave Shultz/Broadstreet Bullies Phlyers, and Derek Sanderson

…but, I always believe We all can be redeemed, and it’s very good to know Derek has managed to overcome his excesses …(but, that doesn’t mean I won’t go to My grave remembering him as ‘the worst of all Bruins !!!’ …and, that’s sayin’ plenty :) )

38. commandant says:

Olivier Archambault with another goal tonight 7g 13 pts in 14 games.

He’s been dreadfully inconsistent in the past and that was the issue with him, as he’s got talent. I’ll need to see some more games to make sure he’s bringing the consistency, but if he finds that; he’s got talent at LW.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ben, one question for You …I watched Gallagher play 2 games against the Marlies …He is not impacting the way He did at the beginning of last season, and indeed, to My eyes, seemed to be being ‘mauled’ physically by the bigger ‘men’ He now faces in the AHL

…do You see it differently ?

• commandant says:

He hasn’t adjusted to the AHL game yet (new linemates, new system, new responsibility, faster stronger league, etc….) But its been 4 games. If he still looks like this after 20 games, I’ll start to worry.

Remember Erik Cole was having a horrible season, and was a free agent bust after 10 games last year.

Way too early.

This is one of the reasons I don’t read too much into the first few games of a player in a new situation.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…remember my tag ” Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!! ” ? … Haha, good to know One is not screaming into a vacuum …thank You Stu Cowan :)
    …We need more quality coverage on the Bulldogs in HIO, as long as the lock-out lasts, …and, in My humble opinion, even if the NHL season is resumed

…now, try getting Capt. Boone sobered up, and get Him back on-board the Good Ship HIO :)

It would be nice if Mr. Hickey could find his way over to Tailgate Charlies in Hamilton prior to game time tomorrow night.

Hope you are well Christopher.

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if MLB can find a way to return the Dodgers back to Brooklyn, all things will be made right again in this World :)

…I grew up an adoring fan of da Bums from Brooklyn …but I also loved the Yankees of the Mantle, Maris, Ford, Berra, Stengal era …that is until they may meet in the World Series, then I would cheer for the Dodgers (which, unfortunately, was not often enough)

…it will be fun having a Brooklyn team in both the NHL and NBA

41. Cal says:

Total failure after George W. Bush? Hahahahahahahhahah! Best joke of the day!

42. twilighthours says:

The proceeds from merchandise sales at a concert would likely go to the artist

43. Bripro says:

Peering at the Bell Centre schedule (can you tell I’m bored?):

Month- # Events- # Specials- # Habs games
    Sept- 4 Concerts- 5 Disney-0
    Oct- 7 Concerts- 1 NBA game- removed
    Nov- 12 Conc- 1 Bulldogs- 7
    Dec- 0 Conc – 14 specials – 6
    Jan – 1 Conc – 0 specials – 7
    Feb- 5 Conc – 2 specials – 7
    Mar – 5 Conc- 1 special – 5
    Apr – 2 Conc- 0 spe.- 4

Nothing for May on.

It seems to me, judging by their current heavy concert and specials pre-Christmas schedule (Disney on ice, Saltimbanco, ZZ Top, Heart, etc.) they’re in no hurry to force the hockey issue.
    And I would have to think that other arenas are either quite or very busy (i.e. Madison Square Gardens …. guaranteed).
    This will drag out, if the players remain determined.

44. commandant says:

Overall there are more concerts and events obviously, as most arenas are booked 150-200 dates per year.

But Hockey is about 50 dates on average. (41 for sure + pre season + playoffs if any)

There is no one concert, no one artist or special event that hits that level.

Thus… Hockey is the biggest thing on the schedule.

For example
    Florida Panthers 50
    Cirque de soleil – 7 dates
    Roger Waters 3 dates
    etc… etc….

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

45. Luke says:

I think you can call him Prince again.

46. Ron says:

Wow, thats a busy non hockey schedule.

47. commandant says:

No, I’m saying there isn’t another single person or entity who takes up as many dates as the Panthers.

Florida Panthers would be 50 dates.

There might be 100 concerts… but they would be split by 80-85 different artists.

As a single entity… nothing is bigger on the schedule than the Panthers.

The Panthers overall are probably about 1/4 of the dates, as I expect a busy arena to be used 200 nights per year (the Bell Centre, MSG, get use over 300 nights but they are among the busiest arenas in the world).

No one else accounts for a quarter. No single person or artist or team or event.

Its a whole bunch of small events to get the other 30 dates.

Note I’ve always said they were the “biggest part” of the schedule, not the “majority of the schedule”

Its like saying
    X-Factor was the biggest show on TV last night.

Doesn’t mean they got over 50% of all TV viewers, they’d be lucky to get 10%…. but it means they are bigger than anyone else… hence biggest, not majority.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

48. Ron says:

Not going to happen Sean.

49. commandant says:

Hey Ron, you have something to say to me… you can come right out and say it…. no need for cheeky one line replies, with an implied insult on the end.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

50. Sean Bonjovi says:

Your original post CLEARLY implies that you believe that the Florida Panthers hockey club is responsible for revenue that has not been included in the NHL’s calculation of “Hockey Related Revenue”, and that this revenue has been improperly attributed to non-hockey related business activity the Bank Atlantic Center.

This reply is some type of discussion about the definition of the word “biggest” in some particular context, and even then you’re confusing league averages with the specifics of one particular team even though you initiated the discussion. This reply of yours is just noise.

Here’s some free advice!

Learn one of two things:

A) Learn to be appropriately sure of yourself when discussion topics that you do not completely understand, or on which you do not have complete information.

OR

B) Learn to write replies like “Hey, good point, given that information which I had not previously considered I now believe that I may possibly have been wrong before, and am therefore at least less confident in my original statement than I was at the time that I made that particular statement.”

51. commandant says:

If you read the entire thread, you’d see where the questions lie… and that is a question of whether the team paying an appropriate price for the lease, and whether the split of merchandise/concessions is appropriate on hockey nights.

This is a question as the transaction is clearly not an arm’s length one.

As for your “free advice”…. here’s some for you…. try reading all the replies in a thread before assuming what point a person is going to make… oh and have a nice day.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

52. Ron says:

Whatever this is it dosen’t look healthy to open.