Thirteen saves for Price in All-Star Game

Canadiens goalie Carey Price in his All-Star Game portrait.
© Harry How, Getty Images

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price made 13 saves on 16 second-period shots in Sunday’s 58th NHL All-Star Game.

Price, representing Team Staal, yielded goals to Anze Kopitar, Steven Stamkos and Danny Briere of Team Lidstrom, which finally won the game 11-10.

It was Price’s second All-Star Game appearance, having played in the 2009 game in Montreal. His save percentage of .812 on Sunday trailed only the .882 of Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller, who also played the second period. Hiller and Price were last and second-last goalies chosen in Friday’s draft of players.

Price and Habs teammate P.K. Subban, who took part in Saturday’s SuperSkills competition, will join the Canadiens in Washington on Monday for their Tuesday game vs. the Capitals.

Below: Price and Subban during Saturday’s SuperSkills competition:

Canadiens goalie Carey Price and defenceman P.K. Subban during Saturday’s Honday NHL SuperSkills competition in Raleigh, N.C.
© Harry How, Getty Images

1. xiaoqinssddd says:

( )

We can supply series of Sport Jersey.

The detail is as follow.:

Product features:

Heavyweight Mesh Body

Printed Name Plate

Dazzle Side Slits

Drop Tail

Authentic Embroidered NFL Equipment Logo on Neck

Screen Print Numbers on Front, Back & Sleeves or Shoulders

100% Nylon

Sell Details:

2. dasbooth says:

Agree 100% – If yu don’t like it, don’t watch it. The fans in Raleigh seemed to be enjoying it and at the end of the day, I don’t think the NHL is all that sustainable without the US market. So well done, the Fantasy draft was fun to watch as well. Glimpses of HBO’s 24/7 were showing through with the players trying to display more personality.

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

He isn’t?! NO!!!!!

4. CanadienBoy says:

Hey i got 3 niece lakers fishing today -12 and sunny great day

5. fbkj says:

thx for the read

6. observer says:

outdoors all star game like this one? yes definately and in miami.

7. Propwash says:

*edit* didnt work, tried a roflcopter

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

8. Duracell3 says:

Happened for the KHL in Red Square outside a couple years ago, it was very nice. Very much a TV event though as there wasn’t much in the way of seating. It might be difficult to project weather though.

9. fbkj says:

its been years since weve had players that are clearly coveted by every other team in the league…

10. emann_222 says:

Thank You! For pimping my article … Hope you enjoyed it yourself =)

Visit me at and

11. lavie says:

The two guys on the picture will be “ruling” Habs for the coming 5-10 years. 🙂

12. SmartDog says:

You my friend, are a genius.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

13. RGM says:

The word in your avatar is very fitting because you are a clown. An evil wrestling clown.

14. SmartDog says:

What a strange question that is.  Are you in the right place?

15. Adam says:

If I may, I’d like to offer a defence of the All-Star game.

If you are old enough to be posting on this forum, you are outside of the demographic that the All-Star game is for. Red Fisher is a legend, to be sure, but he’s in his 80s. It’s not meant for him, or for those in their 50s, 40s, 20s, whatever. When I was 10 years old, I ADORED the All-Star game. To see all the best players on the ice at the same time, it was like looking at a bunch of giants. Everyone on the ice were all, well, all stars.

It’s not meant to be great hockey. It’s meant to be fun for the kids. And if it hooks the next generation like it hooked me, then hockey’s future will always be bright.

16. OneTimer says:

Good post Adam

17. joeybarrie says:

Been hearing alot of talk about the Allstar game. I didn’t personally watch any of it except the 2nd period.

However, the game seems to be bashed alot. This is what I think.

Proceeds of the game go to the Player Pension fund and a charity run for the Kind N Community Foundation. Not a terrible way for these millionaires to spend a weekend. Its a week off for the rest of the league, and its barely a practice for those who played.

So if you dont like it dont watch it. But other than that who cares? No big deal. Why do we get so frustrated with it???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. Exit716 says:

It’s not your money, so why do you care?

Did you say “doneky b@lls”? Cause you can’t say that.

20. OneTimer says:

and just like that, the Timo holiday’s over. Good thing too, people were starting to forget Gomez isn’t a goal scorer around here

21. Stuck_in_To. says:

sorry, misposted

22. JohnnyBEast says:

We aren’t the only ones who thought Price was the best goalie in the game…

23. habs365 says:

PK is a all around good person and hockey player..but he still gets treated like s–t.

24. Mattyleg says:

The original reason for the All-Star game was to raise money for charity (the family of a player who had died). The point was to raise money, and the game was an afterthought. A formality.

Nowadays, there is no reason behind the event (apart from the ‘charity’ of the NHL coffers), and the game itself is such a downer. Nobody tries, nobody skates, and you wonder why you’re watching in the first place. Even pond-hockey has more interest than that.

It’s nice to see the players relaxed and not wound up like springs, as they are for most of the year, and people cracking smiles… but is it all worth it?

Before the game, I saw a lot of people on here saying that the All-Star game was a good place for players like PK to ‘showcase his skills’. Where did that happen? Where did anyone showcase their skills? Playing half-hearted hockey against a half-hearted opponent showcases nothing, apart from the fact that you can appreciate how hard everyone works during the regular season, as compared to the All-Star game.

Get rid of the All-Star game, make it a ‘prospects’ game and give the NHLers a chance to relax. Or just hire in some monkeys and elephants, put NHL jerseys on them, and have a proper circus. Not the shadow of one.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. wmarcello says:

I completely agree. I also adored the All-Star Game and Skills Competition as a kid. When you’re just a little guy playing your heart out and wishing one day to play in the NHL, seeing all these stars together is just a dream come true.

That said, I am now 29 and I still enjoy the All-Star Game :). I think it’s nice seeing a different type of hockey at least once a year. I sit through more than a few snooze-fests during the season, so I don’t mind seeing the annual offensive juggernaut. I probably saw at least 2 dozen plays last night that I would never see at any point in a real season. It’s pretty obvious the players enjoy playing the game, and I personally find it contagious.

26. rogieshan says:

I really wish the NHL would consider staging the all-star game outdoors as its annual Winter Classic. The latter has always been built as a spectacle anyway. Why not make it a truly old-time hockey, shinny event: throwback jerseys, no helmet or heavy equipment. Fans would actually get to see the players in a bigger-than-life setting.

27. Habnofear says:

So……our high priced Habs represented  the team well in  this  ALL Star.Gomez , Geo,Hammer,Spach and Cammi= around $25 million . I think I’d take Malkin and Byflegen instead and keep the large change for  someone  that’s a game changer.

28. fbkj says:

this i agree with, merge the two, take out the pissing contests between teams as well as the points… i approve

29. fbkj says:

instead of posting with this much thought, you should try and dumb it down and list salaries

30. fbkj says:

also whats creepy and horribly dishonest about this post is that you left out markov but threw cammi under the bus

31. Psycho29 says:

I didn’t see a lot of other high priced all-stars today….like Lecavalier, Mike Richards, Luongo, Spezza, Heatley.

So what was your point?

32. Habnofear says:

Shhhh,If Bettman gets a hold of your idea next years game will be played in New Mexico on roller blades…..

33. Ayan_SB says:

I think some of you fans should use the All-Star weekend to take a break from hockey for a few days. Go out, play in the snow, forget how much Gomez makes per year or how many giveaways Spacek has per game, at least for a few days.

I, and many others, on the other hand will still watch the ASG, but without the incessant whining of who was chosen, how they were chosen, or why the game doesn’t matter.

Cause you know what? It doesn’t matter, and in an 82 game roller coaster season in which it seems like every game does matter (even the pre-season apparently), the ASG is quite refreshing; it’s simply a fun event made for highlite-reel moments. I didn’t see one frown in the stands or on the bench of either team this weekend. Now I call that a weekend well spent.

34. 24moreCups says:

Love the fact that Price robs Kessel, then right after PK scores a nice one of Fleury!

35. Duracell3 says:

It would limit your options as far as cities, I don’t think the NHL wants that, although I’ve heard they can make the ice outdoor at 18 degrees reasonably, so maybe they could go for it and see how it turns out.

36. emann_222 says:

Great weekend for the Montreal Canadiens. Habs fans should be thrilled witth the performances of both PK and Price.

Congrats boys – you made us proud.

Wanna read more on my ASG 2011 thoughts and recap?

Please read and comment and share at:

Visit me at and

37. TheDagger says:

Oh, well I would take Crosby, Ovechkin, Buff, Stamkos. Because it’s just that easy. It’s crazy that PG would rather Gomez, Gio, Hammer, Spatch, and Cammi. We need some people like yourself who know how to put a team together.

38. fbkj says:

wow more strawmen, anywhoo

on multiple levels

but teach me teach, where are your season tickets ill pop on by and would be glad to hear your gay thoughts

39. fbkj says:

inorite? i want to like people, but its sh[t like that that makes me hate them

like our master plan was to pay GOMEZ this much money

40. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Ok… Now we can finally get back to real hockey and Gomez scoring in buckets.

Although, I think the break was welcome.

42. Number31 says:

Haha hilarious. I posted it the same time you did (was watching TV so I was slow to press “post”). Yes, liked it very much 🙂

PK got major love this weekend. My favourite comment was from a guy from the Hockey News on Twitter: “The more I see P.K. Subban refuse to let his personality be stamped out by humorless hockey scolds, the more I like the guy.”

43. emann_222 says:

Awesome job from our boys. So much to be proud of!

Visit me at and

44. emann_222 says:

You’re right – that’s one of the best comments that could be made about that kid … as much as I have agreed that he needs time to grow – I also think he’s the future of the team. Love that guy.

Visit me at and

45. Habnofear says:

What’s creepy is your avatar and your ego.Markov has been a Hab for many a year leave him alone ,christ he lost his knee’s for the team!  See the difference is I’m talking Stanley Cup and your a wanna be Habs guru who hasn’t experenced the Montreal Canadiens experence to it’s fullest and that’s cool …but when it comes to the Habs ,you’s be the student and I be the teacher boy……

46. Exit716 says:

Today’s game was also for charity.

The Carolina Hurricanes.

Hopefully they reaped enough profit so as not to force the Molson kids to sign another huge cheque this off season for revenue sharing.

I have zero respect for a team that generates $65 million in revenue, $35 million of which comes from other league partners.

47. Propwash says:

Hmm, posts were deleted…..

anyhoo, fbkj, If we managed to figure out who is who in Hatters, granted it ain’t the same, I’d buy a pitcher and talk hockey.

*edit* Whoever I offended in the discussion that was deleted, I apologise.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

48. fbkj says:

how would factoring in weather be different in russia than here?

49. Duracell3 says:

The Plek-Ak27-Ak46 line at its peak was probably coveted but that was just a few years ago, but it’s been a VERY long time, maybe Koivu when he was just coming into the league that we’ve had really young players drafted by us with this many good years ahead of them. The last players I remember with this much excitement around them was maybe probably theodore, and he was just one guy on a team mostly full of bad. To be fair probably Lats as well for a very shor time.

50. fbkj says:

sound asessment

51. BJT says:

love it. they are the future. (I hope)

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’ ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

52. christophor says:

Hopefully 10-15

53. Chuck says:

Timo, I think that you’ve stumbled onto Gomez’ problem: he’s been shooting into buckets and not into the net.  😉