Therrien: “We’ve got to make sure we go back to basics.”

About 15  players took part in the Canadiens’ optional skate Monday at Scotiabank Place in Kanata, Ont., as the team turns its attention to Game 4 against the Ottawa Senators.

Carey Price will be in net Tuesday when the Canadiens and Senators meet again in their best-of-seven series (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Senators hold a 2-1 lead in the series.

We really didn’t play our game yesterday,” coach Michel Therrien said of the Habs’ embarrassing 6-1 loss to the Senators in Game 3 Sunday. “Even if it was 2-1 (for awhile) we didn’t play the way we’re capable of playing right from the get-go.

“In the first two games we played really well five-on-five and yesterday we didn’t play well five-on-five. So we’ve got to make sure we go back to basics.”

The Canadiens’ power play also needs to be a lot more threatening than it was in Sunday’s game, Therrien added.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban said he believed the Habs didn’t do a good enough job of moving the puck out of their zone efficiently.

“We didn’t do a good enough job of getting pucks deep and putting the defence in situations that they don’t want to be in,” Subban said. “And I think when you do that you allow teams to move out of their zone with ease. And I think we did that.

“We have to understand that we’ve got to go back to playing Montreal Canadiens hockey and executing our game plan,” Subban added. “We’ve been a team that’s always bounced back when faced with adversity and I have no doubt in my mind that we’ll bounce back tomorrow.”

(Photo by Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)

1. adamkennelly says:

We are going to see the swarming, speedy, quick strike Habs tonight for a decisive victory. Game 5 in MTL will be to take the series lead.

Heard it here first…

now I gotta work for 4 or 5 hours, 1:40 tee time followed by a few pops and a Habs W…not a bad Tuesday.

2. habstrinifan says:

Well I have said my piece. I shall post no more for a bit!

And oh YEAH…. FIX THE PPP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. habstrinifan says:

I cant recall which game I was watching which showed a coach relentlessly practising with a player ‘winning faceoffs’. They did it until the fellow got it right. First they dryly reviewed performance; then they devised a method; then they practised that method; then the fellow got it.

I know it is slightly different cause it requires multiple people coordinating. But it can be done. Dryly review recent performance; devise a method(s) with appropriate corrections; then practise, practise, practise… every minute detail. For instance you were shooting low on Andersen in previous game (as per directive) and he solved that strategy… make the appropriate change.

But for Pete’s sake.. or Stanley’S… FIX THE PP NOW!!!!!!!

4. JUST ME says:

When was the last time we had rookie of the year and defensmen of the year nominees in our ranks ?

That simple fact alone should keep the negative so called experts away for a while. Things look good and promissing as is. I trust Bergevin to make the necessary adjustments and keep the guys we need to build a strong team.

• habstrinifan says:

I think was when we had a kick-arse PP!

FIX THE PP NOW!!!!!

• B says:

I believe Bergevin has done a good job so far and the team is headed in the right direction. Some folks here seem to think that he has already made too many mistakes and has had plenty of time to make this team a significantly stronger Cup contender than they are now, but I disagree with that sentiment. I am content to see him continue and believe that ownership is also.

–Go Habs Go!–

5. habs-fan-84 says:

Good Morning Gentleman!

Liking the positivity around here today!
    I’ve also been wondering about Eller…any update (referring to you Stubbs) would be appreciated.

Cheers boys

6. B says:

The series has been pretty close special teams wise. Ottawa has scored on 3 of 17 power play chances and Montreal has scored 2 of 14. While it would be great for Montreal to take more advantage of their PP opportunities, I think even strength (where Ottawa has doubled Montreal 8 goals to 4) is a greater concern.

–Go Habs Go!–

7. SteverenO says:

These are the line I’d like to see tonight:

Gally-27/Plek/Bourque
    MaxPac/DD/Ryder
    Prust/Halpern/Gally-11 —– (Gally 11 & Ryder can be interchanged)
    Armstrong/Dumont/Weber

Subban/Markov
    Gorges/Diaz
    Bouillon/Tinordi

PP;-1
    Bourque/Plek/Gionta — Subban/Weber

PP-2 – Ryder/DD or Halpern/Prust Markov/Diaz

PK1-
    Plek-Armstrong — Gorges-Diaz

Pk2:
    Halpern-Prust —- Subban -Tinordi

regards,

Steve O.

8. jols101 says:

PK officially nominated for the Norris, along with Suter and Letang.

JT’s take on Sunday’s horror show.

10. habstrinifan says:

I dont belong here today! But as with all uncongenial ornery SOB’S I have no sensitivity to being an a-hole. So I shall stay.

And poke the eyes of the ‘goal setters’ who have determined to ‘go to the net’ ‘crash the crease’ ‘get back to basics’ ‘play their own game’ etc etc.

Today I am irritably unsympathetic to the deafening virtuosity of platitudinal throat clearing.

I say with John Maxwell, embellish my outlook not with ‘goals you set’ but carry the day with the ‘goals you get’.

And full PUN is intended. For instance if the coach has given no onsideration to replacing DD in the lineup then there is no evidence that he has properly devised the game which would allow him to get the goals which have been set.

Start by Fixing the PP.

• Loonie says:

I’m one of Desharnais’ harshest critics but maintain that taking him out of the lineup could be a huge mistake.

The team needs scoring right now. So manage his minutes, surround him with size and speed and hope he breaks out of this little slump.

• Kooch7800 says:

well said. DD hasnt’ been great but we don’t exactly have an offensive dynamo’s watching from the press box. We would just be handicapping ourselves further.

Habs win tonight 3-2!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• shandrew says:

Surround him with size – that’s the answer but we simply don’t have the personnel required to patrol ALL lines; this team needs to get bigger and stronger.

I’ve been watching the LA – St. Louis series, and shudder to think about the amount of damage either one of those teams would inflict upon the Canadiens.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I hate to disagree with you Loonie, as you’re much smarter hockey person than I

But at this point DD has been given enough chances. It’s time for him to sit. Hopefully it lights a fire under his ass and he can get back in the lineup with something to prove.

Anyway that’s my feeling on the situation.

• Loonie says:

Hey I don’t fault anyone for wanting him to sit. But something to chew on for a second.

Krejci, Horton and Lucic were borderline awful in the first few games of our playoff series against them a couple of years ago. They got hot and won the Cup.

Not saying that’s gonna happen here but one shift can change everything in the playoffs.

11. Habs will play their game tonight. Expect Ott to come out crash and banging to start the game. Tim Peel refs tonite gives little room for error. PK is going to be target no. 1 all night long. Don’t be surprise that Klassin and Neal will be gunning for him while taking the two, five and 1o minutes penalty call.

12. Loonie says:

It would be so nice to see Eller come back and score the series clinching goal.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would love to see that. I don’t see it happening though. I really hope he is recovering ok

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

So its not just me smokin’ the crack pipe then? I keep waiting for a miracle return from the young Viking!

Oh that would be sensational.

• Kooch7800 says:

Would be even better if he came back wearing cooperalls with a full cage and scored on a break away.

It would be nice for an actual update on him. The silence could actually be a good thing. A return for game 7 would be a huge lift

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ozmodiar says:

I’d settle for an assist on that goal.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Was there actually reliable confirmation that he suffered a concussion? Every team screams bloody murder when an injury like that occurs to insure the NHL throws the book at the offending player.

I’m hoping his bell wasn’t rung too bad and he’s got a broken nose and a couple missing teeth and could make a return?

I could be wrong though…

****************
      “The Senators had beaten the Canadiens like a pinata. An undersized, soft pinata at that.”
      –Mike Boone

13. TODAY IS SLAM A TROLL DAY

7 May, 2013. Treat them like they treat the Habs!

No troll will be left unturned!

GO HABS GO

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

14. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Its not over yet, only 2-1….
    but if we lose tonight….its over.

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…
    GALLAGHER = FUTURE HAB CAPTAIN

15. What are the lines tonite?

16. News Flash!!!! Nwes Flash!!!!

Where’s Carey Price? Ah, has an appointment with the dentist today. This procedure could take hours as there’s along lineup to get check in for an appointment. CP will be a game time decision as he’s been seen with one chick let in each hand. LOL

Carey Price has no room to hold anything on as a result of latex gloves holding plastic bag in each hand. CP has lip balm on to prevent further swelling while gum line bleeds for help!!!

End of News Flash!!! End of News Flash!!!

17. habstrinifan says:

Hello…hello …..elo…anyone there….this congenial morning.

FIX the freakin PP. CaUse the SENS aint gonna be freakin congenial.

FIX the PP TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Ktowner says:

Good morning all, finally got a log in, looking forward to contributing. Anticipating a much more disciplined, faster paced game tonight.

19. habsguy says:

Has anyone got anything about Eller, done for year ?????

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I was wondering about that last night.
      Wonder how he’s doing.
      I’d say he’s not coming back, but I’m more interested in his general state.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

Depends on how long the “year” is.

If the Habs continue to play like they did on Sunday, he’ll be done for the year.

20. jeffhabfan says:

Come on guys need to win bad tonight.GO HABS GO.

21. Cal says:

You knew it had to happen.
    Paul is the Walrus!

22. Ozmodiar says:

A point to ponder on the Desharnais signing…

The extension was signed about a week after DD hired Pat Brisson. MB and Brisson are tight. They’ve been good friends since they were 16.

Draw your own conclusions.

23. SensFanSpezza says:

It’s going to be a good one tonight. It’ll be interesting to see if Subban can keep it together when the Sens go after him, which they will because they know they can get him off his game now. He should take an example from Gallagher. Either way, it’ll be fun to watch.

24. Lafleurguy says:

In the current production of “The War of the Words” starring the Walrus, and I’m-only-husky-too-Therrien, one of them could borrow a Vinnie Boborino line, “He’s so low, he can play handball against the curb.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

25. Win number two coming up tonight, stay positive until it’s over.

Fans like us keep this team going!

GO HABS GO

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

26. Mattyleg says:

Morning fellas and gellas,
    Looking forward to tonight’s tilt.
    Big time.

Not looking forward to today’s mountain of work.
    Big time.

…why did I take a summer contract…?

..I’m such an idiot…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Gutsy comeback win for L.A., will they march on now?

Also, how soon after Vancouver is swept does the Vancouver ownership group punt Gillis and Vigneault into the Pacific?

Is the ownership in Vancouver the same as the one that punted Burke? Would Burke be welcomed back, and could he bring Lindy in with him?

• Mattyleg says:

That would be an interesting combination.
      Burkie and Lindy.

How would the Sedins fare under His Truculence, I wonder…
      How would Lindy handle a team of pylons after coaching a quick skill team for so long?
      How would Canucks fans deal with losing their draft picks for sticky-tape solutions?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Maksimir says:

I think Vancouver’s problems rest on the GM… he should not have been so stubborn and moved Luongo for a fair return instead of trying to hit a home run. Some more fresh players could have helped them more than Luongo has…

• Kooch7800 says:

He did actually try to move Luongo to the Leafs and had a deal but Luo nixed it cause he thought Florida would step up. I bet he regrets that decision cause there isn’t many teams that will take that contract.

I bet them move Schnieder.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• jphk says:

Given Luongo is impossible to trade, why don’t they just keep him and trade Schneider (who has won so many Stanley Cups/Gold medals?Junior Championships) for some forwards???

• Marc10 says:

Gillis had his contract renewed for 5 years…

• habstrinifan says:

I would hire Burke and Lindy as a combo.
      Might be expensive though.

28. Clay says:

So I was looking at the Habs’ playoff stats. Anyone else surprised that DD leads the team in +/-?
    As an aside, I read a great joke, thought I’d share…
    You’re mama’s so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia :D

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

29. Marc10 says:

Man the playoffs are stressful. I forgot what a roller-coaster ride they are…

Can’t wait for this one. I expect one heck of a game!

30. John Q Public says:

Ever wonder if all the hating of this player or that player hurts the team?
    How about we offer encouragement instead.
    Obviously the team has performed better than expected and it will take a few years for MB to clear out some players.
    Hamilton was reformulated this year with many players going in and out. The future looks bright but these players are not to be rushed.
    Is it managements fault that there are 2 seasons for the refs?

Would you rather be talking about who we would picking in the draft?

So it’s game day in the playoffs, the sun is shining and the Habs are down 1 game.

Give em Hell Boys!!!

Go Habs GO !!!

• JUST ME says:

I think that for some it is necessary to hate someone . Now that Gomez is gone there were still a few frustrated with the Halak trade so they got on to Price as soon as he had a few bad games. Problem is that it took all season to have 2 bad games in a row. And now it`s the D.D. bashers. Not sure if the take into account that Max Pac does not have a stellar year and that Cole is gone but i think that him being french helps…

What bugs me the most is that the team had a great year playing as a team and that everybody had their role and played it and even if nobody saw that group in the playoffs now they are all S.O.B for not making it big …Just do not understand how those comments can come from so called fans. I think that negativity hurts the fans more than the players. They made it to the NHL and this goal remains in our wildest dreams. So in a way i would understand if they couldn`t care less.

Sometimes ,more often than i`d like, i just log off from HIO cause some write as experts but think as pee-wees.

• New says:

The team is a few months away from being the third worst. To have achieved what they have in so short a time with so few changes is outstanding. But if the D has a bad night, or Price lets in a bad goal, there isn’t a Crosby or Malkin to change events the next shift.

I get irritated when they lose games they could have won. But that is a game. Sometimes it works that way. The biggest irritant though I find is the cult of the goalie. Reporters go on and on about how this or that goalie is outstanding, and yes, every now and then one does get into the zone. But the zone has nothing to do with pucks deflecting in, bounces, and tips and an awful lot to do with working together with the team to keep the shots from being tipped, bounced, or deflected.

That bugs me to no end. I think it is lazy commentary and a poor excuse for winning or losing in a team game. It allows too many guys to excuse themselves.

But bugged or not, angry or not, venting to darken the skys or not, I feel the same as you. I would rather be watching the Habs compete now than listening to “Fail for Nail” in October.

31. Clay says:

So I read below about Price winning Championships in the CHL, AHL & Junior levels before he made starter for the Habs, cited as proof that he is a quality NHL goalie.
    I would at this time like to take a moment to point out that, leading up to the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Alexander Daigle was considered a “can’t miss” prospect and NHL superstar-in-waiting. All because of what he did in junior. How did that work out again?
    __________________________

• Loonie says:

Daigle’s career best season was 51 points.
      Price’s saw him fifth in Vezina voting in a season where I believe he should have been in the top three.

If you want a present day comparison Zach Bogosian would be a good one.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Clay. A lot of things missing from this team. To focus too much on Price would be a huge mistake by management. His recent play has been just a contributing factor. I hope they are taking a more systemic view of things.

• Clay says:

Good morning to you Jim!
        That may be true…but when a reporter asks our coach if he will play Budaj, and gets scoffed at, that gives me pause. This was, first, very disrespectful to both Budaj and the person asking the question, and, second, a little delusional. It reminds me of Gainey’s infamous ‘baking bread’ comment, which was the only time in my life I ever remember Gainey being disrespectful to anyone. It reeks of desperation, if you ask me.

__________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

MT has had a bad week as well. :)

• Lafleurguy says:

Gentleman Clay, remember Gainey calling a bunch of Habs fans “yellow” for their merciless booing of Patrice Brisebois?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Clay says:

Yes I do, and I thought that was appropriate. The booing was very uncalled for.
            I may be critical of Price here on the message board, but I would never try to undermine a player’s confidence by doing that in a game.

__________________________

• portle44 says:

Actually it reminds me more of Claude Julien losing his job because he did not want to put up with two soft goals a game by Jose Theodore and wanted to win instead. At least in that case Theodore had actually won a Vezina not simply thrilled his fans by finishing fifth in the balloting.If Peter Budaj had not stoned the Bruins twice we would be seeing another series instead of this one altogether.But having played well in Game Two he now has a pass for the entire series and probably the next one even if that is in 2014.Not only does Price not respond to pressure well enough to win a series but the games he starts tend to turn into blow outs. Enough already.

• Clay says:

Good call…I am sorry to say I agree ;)

__________________________

• jphk says:

U do know that Anderson lost his starting job to Budaj before right? Price is young for a goalie (please spare me the Dryden/Roy bla bla bla). Habs played great team defense for most of the year, but we have limited depth and plenty of injuries. Given that our drafting rank is now set, I think people should shut up and support the team. MB and MT are much better than all of us combined, I would think ( or, at least hope). In any event, if you want to cheer for the Sens, the Bruins or the Leafs, go elsewhere no?

• Lafleurguy says:

Mornin’ gentlemen. Don’t want to miss out on congenial conversation, which was sorely missing yesterday. Daigle was what he was. I remember Dennis Sobchuk, a spectacular Regina Pat junior defenceman in the late ’70s, may have been an older teammate of Doug Wickenheiser, and neither of these high draftpicks achieved stardom. Then the tragic death of Wickenheiser at age 34 from cancer.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Clay says:

It’s easier to be congenial before the games – not so easy after, if we get stomped like last game! :(
        We need this win badly…and I, for one, hope the whole team plays like they want it as badly as I do.

__________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

True that’s why I avoided the place yesterday. In a calmer setting it’s easier to debate in a more friendly way. Let’s hope tomorrow morning allows us that opportunity.

• Clay says:

Right you are.
            Sadly, I have to miss the live game, and watch it after work. Luckily no one I know here in Shanghai gives a rat’s behind about hockey, so I never get the game spoiled.

__________________________

32. Remi says:

Habs can’t get sucked into the whole “goon” game mentality. They need to play their game: skate hard, create chances with their defence men in the offensive zone, be generally hard to play against (prust, desharnais need to step up there). We need a way to keep up the backchecking as well, mid ice turnovers will kill Ottawa’s offense.

• habstrinifan says:

1ST Task… fix the PP.
      All the amount of positive talk about back to basics skate hard create chances stepping up aint woth a grain of salt if they dont fix the PP TODAY!

33. Habfan10912 says:

A Kovelev/Gomez type float from Ovie last night on the Rangers winning goal. As good as he is that stuff still must drive coaches mad. A better effort by him would have easily kept the Rangers off the scoreboard. Disgusting and lazy from one of the games so called stars.

34. Habfan10912 says:

How much money has Ryder cost himself this series? He better get his butt in gear if he’s going to get that big payday he’s expecting.

• Lafleurguy says:

Congrats, J, your 8:37 am reply to Loonie was the 666th on this thread. It portends a victory tonight!
      Upgrades needed on this team: 1. Tandem goal-tending. Piling up regular season games didn’t allow Carey to prepare for a higher level of play in the playoffs. Of course, he’s the no. 1. 2. More than one additional forward with Brandon Prust/Rene Bourque qualities. The other playoff teams have multiple fast-skating forwards with grit. Travis Moen appears over the hill. 3. A physical defenceman, one who is not much older than 30. Roman Hamrlik wasn’t a fighter, nor was Hal Gill. In their younger years with the Habs, they injected grit in front of the net on defence.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Andrew. Kind of scared of 666. I am going to completely change my pregame daily routine today in hopes of turning our teams fortunes around. CHeers bud.

• Clay says:

Nice Andrew!

__________________________

• Clay says:

Great point…he’ll be lucky to get $2 million per season, if you ask me. I certainly would pass no matter what he asked for. And I was very unpressed when he first came here, thinking his great play had guaranteed him getting 5 million a season. Suddenly he’s turned into DD…

__________________________

35. Loonie says:

Something I noticed last night and wanted to point out. Looking back on last year’s draft coverage I saw TSN’s interview with Marc Bergevin.

He discussed how much the Habs coveted Alex Galchenyuk because centremen with size can’t be acquired any other way. They don’t make it to free agency and teams are always looking for them so they’re rarely traded.

So here’s my question. Why in the hell did he gave Desharnais a contract extension? I mean, he’s sitting there with Galchenyuk and Eller. He can only move Plekanec if he can find a trade partner approved by our most used centreman. Before anyone rushes to say that he can’t anticipate the development of Eller and Galchenyuk I want to point out a couple of things. The first is that they drafted Galchenyuk third overall and probably would have selected him if they’d held the first overall pick. Another is that giving Desharnais the contract extension mid-season didn’t allow for evaluation of Eller to see if he’d build on his first two years in the league and supplant Desharnais on the depth chart. And the last is that when Desharnais got the extension this team was in the midst of surprising the NHL. Gallagher was on fire and who could have anticipated his early rise? The point being that he lacked patience and really has himself in a bind now because he didn’t allow himself a proper evaluation period before committing to a centreman who now appears to be the fourth centreman on the depth chart behind Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk.

I hope that when this off-season comes around Bergevin sees the need for a stalwart two way defenseman(Bouwmeester type) and lacks patience again.

• Habfan10912 says:

I would love to hear Bergevin’s thoughts on the Desharnais signing. There was certainly no rush to get his signature. Even last season when his production was good, many people thought he was being protected by Cole and Patches.
      These are the types of moves that hurt the organization going forward. I sure hope there aren’t more of these in Bergevin’s bag.

On mistakes…..

1. If you’re taking a risk, don’t make it a big one(and to be fair I don’t think the Desharnais contract qualifies as a big mistake)

2. Again, if you’re taking a risk, at least fill a need when you’re doing it.

He was willing to risk alienating Subban with a contract negotiation but not Desharnais by going to arbitration? There’s some poor decision making there in my opinion.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes sir and his failure to bring in some defensive help at the trade deadline was a mistake as well.

• 123456 says:

good post. i have jumped to the conclusion that the habns were contemplating moving pleks and keeping dd. pleks would give a huge return as i think he is the best #2 center in the league (well ok one of the best).

DD has proven that he can not play with the big boys in big games – but i’d like him to prove me wrong. how about tonight?? that “first” line needs to get it going or they can watch the game from the bench

• Habfan10912 says:

1 thru 6, Agree, but my first line is any line with Galchenyuk and Gallagher on it. :)

• JF says:

At the time, the Desharnais signing looked reasonable, but with hindsight I have to agree with you. Bergevin could have waited and probably should have. But it was not a great risk, and I still think he will find a way to move Desharnais if he wants to.

This playoff series, which I was always doubtful we would win, will surely make clear to Bergevin that we need more size and toughness, particularly on defence. The Desharnais signing notwithstanding, I think he knows what he’s doing. Patience.

• B says:

Desharnais was a pending UFA and coming off his 3rd contract. Subban on the other hand was a pending RFA and coming off his first contract.

Edit: My mistake, I misread capgeek. Desharnais was a pending RFA, but he was still coming of his 3rd contract compared to Subban coming off his 1st contract so I am not sure if their situations are directly comparable.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Cal says:

Eller’s injury is exactly why DD was signed. Depth. DD at his best is a top 3 center. However, if his wingers aren’t putting the puck in he appears to be the second coming of Gomez. Our complaints of DD coincide with Patches’ and Ryder’s games going down the toilet.

• 123456 says:

True – the tri has been equally dissappointing. All i ask is a goal a game from each!!!!

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. I haven’t liked DD’s game all season.

• Loonie says:

I would buy that if Pacioretty and Gallagher/Ryder had struggled along with Desharnais during the season Cal but they didn’t. They were our leading scorers at forward but Desharnais had underwhelming production.

But this goes far beyond the box score. A lot of people saw this slide from Desharnais coming a mile away. And if Desharnais was signed for depth why did he continue to get the most powerplay time among centremen without sacrificing even strength time?

Sorry, but that rationalization lacks reason on both levels in my opinion.

• punkster says:

Maybe it’s as simple as “nobody’s perfect”?

Fact is it’s done, no do overs, move on, get over it…whatever it takes. MB has to live with it, MT has to live with it, the team has to live with it. Short of a trade what can anyone do? It’s simply not worth the angst.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Loonie says:

Hey I agree. Much of my frustration with that contract was because of the huge majority opinion that everything Bergevin touched turned to Gold.

But I do accept the contract and the current state of the depth chart and am doing it in a much friendlier way than I was earlier in the year.

We should expect mistakes from our GM and hope they aren’t big.

• RetroMikey says:

Everyone’s harping and complaining about DD, but he’s got speed and skill which goes along way according to fans here.
      I still believe DD is a great player but being small is no place in today’s NHL, he would excel in the KHL or Swiss Leagues.
      Only a handful of smaller players make it like Fleury, St.Louis, Jarvis, Gionta, etc.. but today’s NHL are bigger, faster, stronger players, not necessary as skillful as the days of yore, but that’s the way it is in the NHL.
      I like DD, he is a classy player off the ice and somehow I have an itch feel he will do great with us along with Gallagher (only 2 small players we need!) in the years to come, so let’s not complain, let’s lok at other players who should do better like Gionta, Pacioretty, Price for example.
      But
      I still want to know why Bob Gainey called Carey Price a “thoroughbred” when we drafted him and why the media and fans label him as the franchise player on our team.
      Me thinks the new franchise player is PK Subban, hands down.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Loonie says:

The instant you said he has speed you lost me. It’s like you don’t even know who he is.

• Habfan10912 says:

But he found a way to bash Price. Brilliant!

• RetroMikey says:

Yeah, he has no speed in the playoffs because goon hockey comes during the playoffs.
          I’ve watched DD many times and it’s sad that we have a league of bigger, punishing, grittier players who would not fare better in the KHL, but remember, you have to get bigger, physical, grittier in today’s generation of players playing in the NHL.
          Without the physical, bruising play that comes at this team, DD cannot showcase his skill.
          Blame the club for not getting extra physical bodies on the team during the the new NHL goon style of play during the playoffs, don’t blame DD.
          Either you have a team like Montreal of speed and skill or a physical team like Toronto or Boston to make a winner.
          I’ll pick the latter.
          And by the way, Price has something to prove on this team, not DD, who is in only in his second year with the club.
          Pick on Price whose supposed to shine,

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• B says:

“centremen with size can’t be acquired any other way. They don’t make it to free agency and teams are always looking for them so they’re rarely traded.”

So other types of centers are the ones who get traded more often? They should be able to move Desharnais if they decide want to since his type of centers are more often traded?

–Go Habs Go!–

“should”

And that’s where the risk comes into play. And while you’re looking for a trading partner(if you are) you’re either bumping Desharnais down the depth chart and hurting his trade value or playing him ahead of others who can contribute more and use the increased work to develop.

• B says:

I guess I just don’t see the ominous and disastrous risk you seem to be complaining about.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Loonie says:

I didn’t say that it was a disastrous risk. I said it was a risk and not a big mistake regardless of how it goes.

I guess if you have preconceived notions about me we’ll never be able to converse rationally.

• Habfan10912 says:

@Loonie Perhaps B was referring to me because I’ve called it a big mistake in the past.

• B says:

I guess I misread your “Why in the hell did he gave Desharnais a contract extension?”, “really has himself in a bind now”, “didn’t allow himself a proper evaluation period” and “lacks patience again” as you feeling it was more than just “a risk and not a big mistake regardless of how it goes”.

Also, I did throw in a bit of hyperbole, but I didn’t realize that you are the only one allowed to do that.

Sorry that I failed to meet your strict criteria for being able to rationally reply to your posts.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Loonie says:

In a bind doesn’t mean disastrous risk.

And yes, with a lottery pick centreman, a versatile veteran who can score and a young versatile centreman who can score, why give a small and skilled yet one dimensional player a contract extension before evaluating whether or not he’s needed moving forward?

I didn’t phrase the situation in a way that would illustrate disaster or long term damage.

• Ton says:

I think it was one of those sign the asset> move the asset type of gamble deals………if he is a 40 to 50 point man in montreal what would he be in Nashville or Pheonix! Maybe worth a 2nd rounder. Being of the french culture helps as well……..anticambre crew licking their chops when the deal happened!

36. Blade says:

Good Morning…game day. BIG game day.

Show up, hit hard, skate harder and stay out of the box. Get down low and have some good looks at Anderson. Good luck boys….you need this one!

We will beat the Sen’s tonight,!! it is written!
    In the time out!!!

• Habfan10912 says:

If we had our full team out there Ian I’d be as optimistic as you. Too many injuries to key players for my liking. And unlike some posters here who seem to take joy out of the Habs misfortune, I’m NOT happy about it.

38. B says:

During the regular season, Montreal ranked 17th in faceoff% with 49.8%. So far in the playoffs, they rank 2nd at 55.3%.

–Go Habs Go!–

39. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! For those of us in the US, the US vs Russia game is on NBC Sports net (versus) at 1 this afternoon.

40. jrs10069 says:

Stay positive today boys. Head up, big smile, focus on the task at hand and help an old person cross the street.

jrs10069

Well tonight we find out a great deal about our Habs team. In my estimation MT lost his cool, and as a result the whole team then lost their composure.

I am not coach, but I wonder if MT gathers the team, and essentially apologizes to the boys for his losing it. In turn asking the team to turn off all the noise surrounding them in this series. Not only is it a matter of going back to basics, but also playing to this teams strengths.

While they are playing against a team coached by MacLean, he is not the one on the ice. Ignore him (will say, he is perhaps proving why he should win coach of the year) and get back to fast hockey, quick line changes, going to the net and remaining steadfast to the forecheck and selling out on the backcheck.

I am not even sure it matters who starts in net for Montreal, it is their entire game that must change right now.

Unfortunately, we continue to miss Eller, and have what appears to be MaxPac playing with a really bad shoulder. Gionta also is wounded. MT needs to take a close look and perhaps insert a Dumont or Halpern for one of these players if they are significantly less than 100%.

I worry the series is over, I hope to see a disciplined and well fought game by the Habs tonight.

CHeers to everyone.

• TommyB says:

You are not a coach….perhaps, you should take it up. Good perspective.

• Loonie says:

Make that coffee Irish mister. This series isn’t over. It isn’t even over if the Habs don’t come home knotted up in the series.

The only thing that worries me is that our Habs may have given the Senators too much respect coming into the series.

I don’t want to start a dump on MT scenario Tom, but his handling of himself and the team is becoming reminiscent of the old MT. I hope he shows that he can recover and get back to just coaching.

In hindsight, I wonder if he hadn’t been better served simply saying that he is happy to have #61 on his team.

• Loonie says:

I agree with your opinion of how he handled himself and the team in game three pal. But if we’re being fair the game was gone when he let the fire get the best of him.

Therrien’s been in this spot before, I don’t think we’ll see the team we saw Sunday night again anytime soon.

Edit: How bout that? You’re critical of Therrien and I’m defending him. Twilight Zone.

• Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning

As for ” MT losing his cool” there may be another way to look at it.

MT has been pretty level headed, yet when he sees disrespect towards the team – not himself personally, he will go out of his way to protect his players.
      Guys love that when the coach picks the right spot to defend vs. a Torts style of coaching.

Apart from that, he deflected a lot of criticism from the poor play on to himself sparing just about everyone else the due criticism.

I guess we’ll find out tonight how much the guys appreciate MT because tonight’s the night!

• Cal says:

No worries tonight, Burly.Habs will be steadfast. Pageaut (sp?) had his once in a lifetime game the other night. Anderson’s balloon is ready to burst.
      Tonight, Habs win.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – I’m not sure how MT takes blame for this. The truth of the matter is that Ottawa handed us our asses on a plate in that game.

• Habfan10912 says:

Health or lack if it is often the deciding factor in most sports championship runs. Sadly the Habs have many injured players. Emelin, Eller are huge loses for this team. Add the injuries to Patches and Gionta and it does not reflect well on our teams hopes.
      Sorry to sound so pessimistic so early in the morning.

42. adamkennelly says:

anyone notice the refs in the first period of the Leafs-Bruins? me either – let them play playoff hockey. as opposed to Game 3 of our series where they missed a ton of real calls and then called a bunch of ticky tack crap – ruining the game from period 1 and majorly contributing to the gong show that ensued. when they get graded for that game – they will fail.

also – after watching the STL-LA game – in case there was any doubt – our Habs are way too freakin small…

43. TommyB says:

So we have Tim Peel in stripes tonight. I was wondering when we were going to see that jackass in this series. An added sideshow to the 3 ring circus that we saw Sunday night.

Rask played great last night. He saved the day for the Bruins until they could find their game.

I also thought Jagr was excellent considering his age and slowness. Man is he strong on the puck.

It bothers me how the NHL has a theme of the day for the rulebook instead of an overall consistent policy that is enforced by all refs. This playoff season the flavour of the month is throwing guys out of the playoff circle before they can even blink an eye. Tiresome, to be sure.

45. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s pretty obvious a few of our guys are playing hurt, and yet the same posters who were going after Bourque last year are going after Pacioretty et al this year. They’re all trading him. Doesn’t anyone ever watch and learn?

46. Maritime Ron says:

Reading the intellectually challenged Ottawa Sun sports writers has become the morning comedy and this guy Tony Spears takes the cake.

A truly idiotic headline:
    ” 10 things we hate about Montreal”

He goes on blah blah corruption, roads, PK Subban, Youpi…….but he really crossed the line here.

Absolutely unforgiveable to be listed as something to hate about Montreal:

“9. Supersexe: The landmark Ste-Catherine St. strip joint still offers a free table dance with every bucket of beer. But when the song is over, you’re alone, you’re unfulfilled — and you still have five warm Coors Lights to choke back.”

47. commandant says:

#27 on the board is Nicolas Petan, who tied for the league lead in the WHL (and CHL) in scoring

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

48. HabFanSince72 says:

Watched another episode of Community Season 4 last night and it reminded me of the Habs in the playoffs. Same cast, same storylines, but the spark is missing.

(And the humour too in the case of Community Season 4.)

49. Chilly Willy says:

Questionof the morning:

Does anyone feel that Patrick Roy could turn Carey Price into an Elite Goaltender?

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

• The Cat says:

You cant teach someone to be ‘on the edge’.

• wjc says:

Price is an ‘elite’ goaly….did you see ‘Quick’ last night. Goaltenders have a special job and their mistakes tend to be goals. Even things that are not their fault can be blamed on them.

‘Hockey is a game of mistakes, otherwise there would be no game.’

wjc

50. Chilly Willy says:

I am a die-hard Habs fan. My rec room is plastered with Habs. There is no more room for anymore except the next stanley cup banner, I will make room for that. I have a Habs tattoo on my left arm.

I get so down when the Habs loose. I am a horrible loser with regards to the Habs losing.

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

51. The Cat says:

The Mtl-Ottawa series is one of the better ones, love it when theres hate like that, makes it more intense.

52. Maritime Ron says:

After reading the comments, there appears to be a lot of performance frustration with ____(fill in the player name) and trade requests.

From here, once this playoff is over, perhaps we should take note of who will need surgery/played really hurt, and that may give us more answers as to what happened concerning performance and production.

Ex:Take the post season 2012 Flyers as an example.
    No less than 7 Flyers needed surgery after the playoffs with hip-back-Achilles tendon issues.
    Giroux needing surgery on both wrists while he played with torn tendons.

My bet is that a bunch of our guys are playing with big time hurts.
    A guess would have at least these guys. Prust-Gorges-Markov-Gio-Max-Ryder….

53. jedimyrmidon says:

test

54. C-Sword says:

Yessss 4-3!!! Please, no OT. I gotta wake up early tomorrow for work

55. habs1992 says:

Vegas thinks we will lose tomorrow, we are a +125, that is a pretty big underdog. Oh well time to bet the car on the habs.

I support Carey Price

• Chilly Willy says:

Might be alot of people making some coin tomorrow night! Maybe I should re-mortgage the house? Let me see … A lttle over $300 k @ 125 odds

I highly doubt my wife will go for it!

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

• The Cat says:

What will you do with the 250$ if you win? lol

56. C-Sword says:

The drought is finally over! My fav non-hab scored!

57. habs_54321 says:

in regards too pacioretty i really would like too see him play a bit more like dustin brown, more hitting more net drive, he had under 60 hits this year while brown had over 160 hits.

• frozengolf says:

You know he is a perimeter player, it will never happen. Trade him while we can for something like dustin brown!!

_________________________________________________________
      “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

• jctremblay says:

The problem for me is last year’s version of Cole reminded me of what a power forward does…drive to the net and arrive in ill humour. Put the shoulder down and take the d-man with you and let God sort out the body count you leave in your wake. MaxPac has to change his style but I don’t see any indication he’s going to. Very disappointed in him but I understand a broken neck might make you reconsider your style of play.He was so good last year..sigh

58. C-Sword says:

Why is it so easy for the opposing team to cross our blue line? Are Tinordi and Subban the only Ds capable of forcing a puck dump? Diaz is afraid to get hit, Markov is fragile and Bouillon lacks size. I envy the Blues so much.

• nihilz says:

Emelin Subban
      Tinordi Beaulieu
      Gorges Markov

Tinordi 15 pds heavier. Beaulieu: a lil wiser. Emelin lernt hin sum anglaise. Gorges & Markov play limited EV mins and special teams. 76 & 74 setting the tempo and taking the stage. The next few year the habs D is going to cocoon into something special. Lots of goodness coming.

Andi Petrillo again. Yum!

60. nihilz says:

I wanna see Galchenyuk Eller Yakupov.

Beaulieu or Subban plus whateverish..

Mmm.. Pacioretty Plekanec Gallagher is pretty sickly, too.

I wonder what kind or impact Drewiskie & Pateryn in for Diaz & Bouillion would have. Would their lack of mobility in comparison be a detriment? Controlling the front of Price and presenting a tougher D might tilt the scales.. or level em back out, at least.

• Seps says:

Diaz uses his mobility to get away from hits so the other team gets the puck first, I’d love to see one of those guys in instead.

• Adam says:

You want to trade our defenceman who will most likely be a finalist for the Norris trophy, and who is only just starting to play to his full potential, for a one-note sniper, who is largely unproven?
      Good luck with that.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Subban plus someone for Yakupov? You´re living in Bizarro World. I personally wouldn´t trade Subban for Yakupov + Hall but that´s just me.

61. Bill says:

Well, it’s game day. Expecting a better, game 2-style effort. Here’s hoping! Good night all you West Coast guys.

Full Breezer 4 Life

62. jedimyrmidon says:

Dave_Stubbs (Dave Stubbs): #Habs #Sens have refs Tim Peel, Brad Meier in stripes for Tuesday’s Game 4

Tim Peel!? NHL going in for the killing blow.

63. Seps says:

C-sword had some great comments concerning goaltending tonight. Wanted to let you know there are reasonable people on here who agree with you.

Here’s a fact from some Cup-winning teams to support it:
    Niemi .910 SV% in 2010
    Fleury .908 SV% in 2009
    Osgood is nowhere near elite and has won a few Cups
    And many goalies who win the Cup have posted average save percentages in the .920’s
    The issue is the team.

• C-Sword says:

It was the same thing with the Canucks. Luongo this, Luongo that. Let’s see how long does it take them to win a cup with Schneider.

• Seps says:

The Vancouver saga is amusing though you gotta admit ;-). But yeah that final was far from his fault. The team played like Montreal last night every time in Boston. Blown composure and caught up in the non sense.

• wjc says:

Someone else’s pain is your amusement. Now reverse that, your pain is someone else’s amusement.

However, when other people are amused when Canadiens get drubbed you/fans get all bent out of shape.

wjc

• sheds88 says:

luongo can’t score too

• Clay says:

Lol at your list. Isn’t Price sitting at an .879 SV%? The issue is the goal-tending.

__________________________

Fearless prediction – a team from the west will win the cup again this year.

65. The Jackal says:

One question.

Why don’t we play PK 29 mins like Suter, Karlsson, Doughty… even that plug Letang.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Dirtsteed says:

Therrien seems to think that running four lines and three D pairings is best for this team. He doesn’t over use anyone so PK doesn’t kill penalties anymore and therefore can’t get up to those minutes.

I agree with you. He should play 29 minutes.

I also don’t like how DD with Max and Ryder got a consistent shift last night. They talk about accountability. Those three should have sat.

• Timo says:

PRobably cause there is nobody on Habs to protect him, unlike all these other teams. Also, I think Michael Therrien Personal Development Program only allows for 25 min of playing time max, otherwise meritocracy will suffer.

• Bill says:

Well .. I think Subban is a much more energetic player than the guys you mentioned … I don’t think it would be possible for him to play another five minutes a game at the pace he plays … which is the pace he needs to play to be PK.

So I think the answer is that he wouldn’t be as effective at 30 minute as he is at 25. Which is his max IMO.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mark C says:

Isn’t he? He got 28+ in game one, got 25+ in game 2 when he could be rested at the end of the game. Pretty much have to throw out game 3 as he missed over half of the third.

Wings win in OT.

67. QUOTE OF THE NIGHT<

RazzleDazzle May 6, 2013 at 10:12 pm Nathan Horton is a UFA inJuly. Will the Habs show interest

I travel all day come here to read more funnies, and pull this gem from one of the key trolls here.

Nathan Hortan, :lol:

The End

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

68. Steven says:

Watching the Detroit game, I think Beauchemin would be a nice addition to the Habs D corps. Probably won’t happen, though.

69. CHicoHab says:

I missed the Leaf game tonight. What did Cherry have to say about Habs game if anything at at all??

“take your time and hurry up”

Andi Pertillo has very nice curvy hips. I like that.

So, did he leafs win?

72. H.Upmann says:

man I know its been said here before, but watching STL and LA for the first time, i’m amazed! big, skilled, fast.

• jctremblay says:

That’s the story. WE aren’t in that league yet. I think a lot of people are completely delusional about the present talent level of the Habs. There’s a great future ahead but this is not a team that can or should win it all this year. This first place finish in the division was a curse..lol

• H.Upmann says:

totally! kinda of a mirage 1st place finish.. much like the last time with Carbo. But still we have something to be optimistic about….

• Habcouver says:

Habs are ahead of pace to becoming a great team for the long term. I have faith in MB.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Timo says:

So was this year 1 of another 5 year plan? Or is this year 8 of the last 5 year plan?

• Habcouver says:

Yeah, lots of plans but gravely mis-managed throughout. I see MB perpetually improving all facets of our team with astute drafting and player development. It sounds reasonable. :D

Waiting patiently for #25

• C-Sword says:

Kings tied it up, 2-2, this is how you build a winning team, you need skill, speed and strength. You don’t go to war with soft players and midgets. I’d rather have Richards and Kopitar over Pleks and DD.

• SlovakHab says:

Hang on hang on.
        Plekanec and DD are completely different players.

Plex is an excellent two way center who is great on PK and can play head to head with the best centres in the league.

DD is rubbish player, a replacement level guy who is getting too much leeway because he had a good year last year and is a local French Canadian.

Plekanec + Eller and in the future Galchenyuk/Eller/Plekanec are elite combos that do not lack the skill, 2-way game and size (in case of Eller and Galchy).

• H.Upmann says:

oh man just watching Richard Kopitar Carter Perron Backes Oshie Brown Stewart etc etc etc. .. can only hope management goes in this direction.

• wjc says:

So would a lot of teams like to have Richards and Kopitar, but the ain’t available.

wjc

• kazmojo says:

Habs have both speed and skill, but missing that third ingredient: size. Not many opportunities this offseason to address that shortcoming, save for Ryder’s roster spot. I’d like to see someone like David Clarkson in that spot instead.

73. thehammer says:

It’s prices fault the fans and media portray him as Roy? Can’t we have a goalie who’s good and not expect or compare them to Roy Dryden or Plante? And rimer will be making more soon enough. Contracts keep getting bigger In every sport.

74. Habsbill24 says:

Please get it straight. The fans did not run Roy out of town. Mario Tremblay and Habs management wanted him out of town and we haven’t won since.

• Bill says:

If we are being straight, fans wanted Roy gone after the Cup loss in 89, and in the playoff failures until 93, and also during the Cup run in ’93 after they lost the first two games to the Nordiques, and after the first round loss in 94, and finally in the horrible season and game that led to his trade. Fans were a huge part of that.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• wjc says:

Fans yapped about trading Roy for years.

Savard almost did.