Therrien: “We’ve got to make sure we go back to basics.”

About 15  players took part in the Canadiens’ optional skate Monday at Scotiabank Place in Kanata, Ont., as the team turns its attention to Game 4 against the Ottawa Senators.

Carey Price will be in net Tuesday when the Canadiens and Senators meet again in their best-of-seven series (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Senators hold a 2-1 lead in the series.

We really didn’t play our game yesterday,” coach Michel Therrien said of the Habs’ embarrassing 6-1 loss to the Senators in Game 3 Sunday. “Even if it was 2-1 (for awhile) we didn’t play the way we’re capable of playing right from the get-go.

“In the first two games we played really well five-on-five and yesterday we didn’t play well five-on-five. So we’ve got to make sure we go back to basics.”

The Canadiens’ power play also needs to be a lot more threatening than it was in Sunday’s game, Therrien added.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban said he believed the Habs didn’t do a good enough job of moving the puck out of their zone efficiently.

“We didn’t do a good enough job of getting pucks deep and putting the defence in situations that they don’t want to be in,” Subban said. “And I think when you do that you allow teams to move out of their zone with ease. And I think we did that.

“We have to understand that we’ve got to go back to playing Montreal Canadiens hockey and executing our game plan,” Subban added. “We’ve been a team that’s always bounced back when faced with adversity and I have no doubt in my mind that we’ll bounce back tomorrow.”

(Photo by Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)

1. habs11s says:

I’d have loved to see this website in 1993 after the first two games of the playoffs
    _____________________________________________________________

2. smiler2729 says:

Bruins 5-2, do ya think Laffs fans are gonna crucify Reimer tomorrow the way Habs fans would crucify Price if he’d played the exact game?

Only Habs fans eat their young, we ran Patrick Roy outta town and he had 8 more amazing years in Colorado… just sayin’

Seriously chill out people, it’s never going to be Lafleur and the ’70s again, we’re just 1 of 30.
    _______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• SlovakHab says:

I think the reason we are so critical of Price is that he was given everything on a silver platter here.
      He was good half the time, but the other half he didn’t do much more than an average NHL goalie would do.

Inconsistent, yet always guaranteed the starter spot.

Reimer fought his way through and slowly came up as a NHL starter. I wouldn’t take him over Price for sure. But Price is getting a massive leeway here in Montreal, he is not a feel-good story but rather than someone that is perceived by the management as much better than he actually is.

• Roy_s_WINK says:

Right.

Because Price didnt win Championships in the CHL, AHL & Junior levels before he made starter for the habs…

No “working up” there…

• wjc says:

Reimer is not doing anymore then Price.

A part of me hopes Price leaves via trade/free agency and comes back and rubs it in your face.

Trade him for any goaly in the league and it would be the same thing.

wjc

• Bill says:

Some will slag Reimer indeed, although the loss was not his fault.

I say again, it’s funny I think of Reimer as a kid, when he is actually older than Price.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Marc10 says:

They all become kids at some point…

I just realised that I’m up there with old man Jagr now… In fact, he might be younger! Yikes!

3. EricInStL says:

Hey the Heat lost………no fo fo fo for El Heat

4. Un Canadien errant says:

Trade Peter Budaj for Jonathan Quick, quick.

5. EricInStL says:

Damm that Datsyuk is amazing

6. RazzleDazzle says:

Nathan Horton is a UFA inJuly. Will the Habs show interest

• ProHabs says:

I hope not. The guy is a coward. Never ever played tough in Florida. Goes to Boston, knows that Lucic and Chara are always on the ice with him, and now he is a tough guy. If he ever came to Montreal, with Desharnais, Diaz, Ryder, Gionta,etc. having his back, he would play soft again.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That jerk is disqualified from ever wearing the bleu blanc rouge.

You think some of the Canadiens don’t play physical enough, just wait ’till Mr. Horton is no longer protected by all the other Bruins, and reverts to his scaredy-cat style from his Panther days.

7. C-Sword says:

The best series is about to start, Kings Vs Blues. Go Kings! If you call yourself a real hockey fan and don’t watch this, shame on you.

8. RazzleDazzle says:

Patrick Roy had a few good weeks too. Mostly in may and june

9. H.Upmann says:

Hmm explains why I saw Leafs fans on the subway 30 minutes ago

10. jphk says:

King Henrik not that impressive for the Rangers so far. Deflating goals…

11. EricInStL says:

Why hasn’t Luongo for Vinny trade been made yet ?

Also which brothers would you rather have, Sedins or the Schenns ?

Should MTL try to get Burrows ?

12. Chilly Willy says:

First home game in 9 yrs for the Leafs and stink it up.

LOVE IT!

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

13. habsfan0 says:

Habs and Leafs both in 1-2 holes in their series.
    I like Habs chances of a comeback more than the Leafs.

14. Rudy says:

Caps Rangers tied at 3

15. punkster says:

5-2…Randygoon time?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

16. Chilly Willy says:

Shouldn’t Carlye be pulling Reimer right now?

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

17. Mattyleg says:

Hmm, this “I can’t remember what players were on the ice” stunt to get your players a breather after an icing call is a good one.
    Should be illegal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. habfan100 says:

Omg healy is such a leaf homer. I can’t take this anymore.

19. Un Canadien errant says:

It was also nice to hear Craig Simpson comment at the start of the second period on the great hunger for all things Leafs in Toronto, how much desire there is for them to succeed, while the camera showed nothing but empty club seats behind the player benches. I guess the thirst for beer was the greater and won out for this Toronto crowd.

• habsfan0 says:

Those are the platinum seats where the corporate crowd is very laissez faire in their attitude towards the Leafs.

• ffenliv says:

That happens in every rink, so far as I’ve ever been able to tell.

• Marc10 says:

I guess there’s a direct correlation between the coin shelled out for seats and their lack of occupants as you won’t find more expensive seats than at the lower bowl in TO and they’re noticeably empty at the start and end of periods.

Why bother with seats. Rich wankers should be allowed to stay at the bar behind the stands and sell on their tickets (minus the clip from the rink…) to allow real hockey fans to watch the game. Rinks would double their intake and sell twice as much beer. You’d need a few modifications to allow this to happen (thinking fire code and access here), but at least the rinks wouldn’t look deserted when the game is on…

20. habsfan0 says:

Is it my imagination, or does the CBC broadcast team appear to be pulling for a Toronto comeback?

21. jedimyrmidon says:

Argh, the Pacs-Subban “incident” is mentioned AGAIN on CBC.

Glen Healy: Oh, look, Chara and Seguin dealing with it calmly instead of yelling at each other like Subban and Pacioretty.

No kidding, in one case, you have the 38 (36?) year old captain of your team talking to a 21 year old, and, in the other, you have two 23-24 year olds angry at each other.

22. Mattyleg says:

Rask channeling TeaPartyTimmy there.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. mrhabby says:

Shut up healy

24. Un Canadien errant says:

How conflicted am I watching this series? No-good-for-nothing talentless shouldn’t-be-in-the-NHL Colton Orr runs a player when he no longer has the puck? Boooooo! Wait, it was on Zdeno Chara, the NHL’s greatest villain, Mister “I never try to hurt someone”? Attaboy Coltie, hit him again!

Oh no, the Leafs scored…. But isn’t great seeing Tuukka Rask lose his excrement again, and Zdeno Chara looking ungainly and ineffective as he so often does.

Crap, that guy straight got nailed from behind! But it’s a Bruin, and pretty mild for a hit, so no harm done really. Oh, it’s that rat Kadri who ran him. What a dirty play! To the bench you scumbag!

Ha ha ha, Reimer let in a huge softie from the blue line, I can feel the air being let out of that balloon right now. Nice. Except, it’s that horrid plug McQuaid who scored. Bummer.

The only positive to come out of this matchup is how much better behaved Dion Phaneuf is. No matter who he’s facing, whether it’s Scott Thornton or Milan Lucic or Greg Campbell or Zdeno Chara, when the whistle blows and the play is called, he stops, that’s it, no face washes or crosschecks or slashing or pushing or shoving or nothing. Glad to see he’s reformed now, last time I saw him play against the Canadiens, I thought he was a lost cause, an irredeemable bully. So we got that going for us, which is nice I guess.

———————————————————————–

25. habsfan0 says:

Interesting column by Rosie DiManno in The Toronto Star today extolling the virtues of Phil Kessel.

Whereupon Kessel promptly coughs up the puck leading to a Boston goal.

26. Psycho29 says:

You know there’s too many stats in sports when they show Colton Orr’s skating speed

• Mattyleg says:

I decided to watch the intermission on HNIC, and I couldn’t believe all the numbers they threw out.
      I felt like I was in Grade 10 math class.
      It was just as exciting as I remembered it.
      Once they got through all their numbers I don’t think that even they knew what they’d started talking about.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

LOL. Could he beat Hal Gill in a race?

27. EricInStL says:

Of all the goalies in the playoffs which one doesn’t make his coach worry about his performance ?

I think Niemi is very solid

28. habfan100 says:

4-2 Boogers, 18 mins to go…this could get interesting.

29. habs12 says:

The Habs need a nice double ot win to swing the momentum of the series

30. Rudy says:

Let’s go Caps

31. zorro says:

CBC’s Andi Petrillio showing off the curve’s. I like.

32. L Elle says:

I’m watching Caps/Rangers. I commend all those that can stomach Leafs/Bruins, and CBC. :)

33. donmarco says:

@bill

Here are the players you were musing about being tradeworthy of Pacioretty. Possibly JVR, but that’s it for me.

Just because I’m bored, and I mean really bored I took your challenge Bill. Based on your criteria for average contract amount and length here are the candidates (within a reasonable proximity to your criteria)

Alexander Edler
    RJ Umberger
    Fedor Tyutin
    Patric Hornqvist

You decide

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

34. FlyAngler says:

Jack Edwards just defended Kadri after he got called for boarding calling Kadri “an honest player”……. what a total dork….

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

35. Mattyleg says:

I NEVER watch hockey on the CBC.
    Watching this beaut on RDS, but I juuuuust might switch over to watch the between-periods meltdown in HNIC.

That should be delightful.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. thehammer says:

Price gets lynched for everything. Wasnt on the blog last night but I’m sure there were a bunch of people blaming him for something

• Chilly Willy says:

Price gets blamed for:

Habs not scoring goals
      Global warming
      Cod stock depletion
      Over inflated gas prices
      The threat of nuclear war
      Destroying the rain forest
      Extinction of many species of animals
      Divorce rates in Canada

I can go on for hours

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

37. habfan100 says:

Why is Glen Healy making excuses about the goal? It was a beauty by Paille, top cheese…no “Beauty!” by Hughson or credit for a goal like that geezzzz….homers

38. Psycho29 says:

Even with all the trolling going on here, nice to see almost 70% feel that the Habs can come back to win this series.

39. punkster says:

Wait…Reimer…not a good goalie?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

40. frontenac1 says:

4-1 Bruins in 2nd. Maybe now we will get some punch-ups.

41. habfan100 says:

shorty for Paille 4-1 Boogers. The ACC is quiet…

42. Mattyleg says:

Haha!!
    Shorty for Boston!

Not showing footage now of people watching this game outside now, are they?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. The Jackal says:

Leafs are getting smoked….

EDIT: Leafs are getting smoked :D

I don’t care what happens in other series, I just love to watch the playoffs and hockey in general. BUT I do want the Leafs to lose. They deserve to get spanked real bad. All those laff fan friends of mine and laff fans in general who won their Stanley Cup when they beat us are now crying and I love it. That’s what they get for their unsportsmanlike conduct and obnoxiousness.

I hope we get a chance to face the Bruins this post-season… It’s always a classic and as dirty as they may be it’s always a fun match-up.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

44. commandant says:

Ryan Hartman is number 26 on the draft board.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

45. habfan100 says:

Predictions for tomorrow’s game?
    2-1 Habs in regulation.

46. Strummer says:

Therrien did a good job of using the bulletin board material provided by the Sens after game one to rally the Habs to victory in game 2.

He did not do a good job in carrying it over into game 3 however. He allowed them to get carried away which led to the 3rd period meltdown.

Allowing the first goal was crucial- that was scored a 5 on 3 which is tough to defend. They were more disciplined in game 2.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

47. The Jackal says:

The feeling Cherry gets when the Habs lose is the same one I get when the Laffs lose :D

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

48. punkster says:

Ha…Reimer.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

49. jedimyrmidon says:

Bruins-Leafs 2-1.

Edit: Now 3-1.

50. punkster says:

Ref missed the trip in front of the net.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

51. Mattyleg says:

Thanks to everyone who said nice things about my post earlier today.

It’s nice to see so many people are still interested in supporting the team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs1992 says:

Yep it is frustarating to see every1 jump ship after 1 game, we are done 2-1 in the series, well in it, im just happy we even made the playoffs. Just enjoy it

I support Carey Price

52. C-Sword says:

I don’t see how Kaberle can be any worse than Markov, why not give him a chance? At least, he should be healthy. I’d even dress Beaulieu.

53. The Jackal says:

I’m surprised at the Bruins vs. Leafs series.
    There is a lot less nonsense in that series than in our series, and I thought that our series would be one with no goonery. Turns out the neanderthals are not gooning it up but the more skilled teams are…. curious situation indeed.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Edman says:

If Kadri/Seguin got knocked out and injured by McQuaid/Fraser….i think there would be a little goonary…

• ffenliv says:

I think Edman has it right.

The Habs/Sens series has a lot going for it in terms of creating the nonsense we’ve seen, whereas the Leafs/Bruins just haven’t had anything happen yet.

Yet.

• The Jackal says:

Ha, good point… but it felt like even before that the Sens were trying to start stuff.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not surprised, Jackal.
      Their season series was, as I’ve said before, akin to a handful of kittens rolling around in cushy pillows.

Like so many bullies, they are less interested in fighting people their own size than they are throwing it down with smaller players.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• zorro says:

I’m in Ottawa, and according to Sen’s fans, it’s the Montreal Canadiens who are the goons. What a f&*kin day here today, i had to put up with sens fans and all their bullshit. Rose colored glasses all over town. No one was able to answer me when I asked, ” what was Chris Neil doing on a line with Kassien and Smith ??” and no one saw the cross check on White from Smith. Sickening to hear these people, an Ottawa team 1200 radio announcer said, “that last nights humiliation win by the Ottawa Senators was the most gratifying and satisfying game in the history of the modern era Ottawa Senators, even better than their wins in the 2007 Stanley Cup finals against Anaheim”. How sick are these people? The sens should be down 2-1 in this series, they’ve only played one good game. Maclean’s feeling’s got hurt when he was called a walrus, awhh poor baby. Suck it up bug eyed fatso.

• The Jackal says:

Lol… yeah I can’t stand that.
        I’m glad I don’t have to deal with that.
        But sooner or later their team will be golfing and they’ll go back to being the most irrelevant Canadian team.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

54. AH says:

Watching the Devil vs. the Taliban game and it’s so noticeable how tough guy Phaneuf is not scrumming with anyone!!! LOL!

55. topher5468 says:

My two cents, not that anyone cares, but here it is. My first loyalty is the Canadiens, and to whom ever puts on the sweater. I want the team to win, period. whether it’s Price, Budaj, Halak, Huet or Theodore. There are times when I get on Price, and IMO, deservedly so. I guess when a fan favorite like Halak gets traded after an outstanding playoff performance, for a fan base starving for a cup, Unless Price can duplicate that, he’ll never be the unified choice for us. I know the guy wants to win, they all do, even Desharnais. I try not to comment negatively, but I want this team to win so badly i get frustrated and I vent. So what does all this mean, well I’m going to be more supportive and appreciative and remember where this organization and team was last year, in last place.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Edman says:

Halak did so well in 2010 because we had great defense and shot blocking. Gorges was fantastic, and Gill was rejuvenated. Right now Price is not getting the D he needs to win games. Tinordi is still learning and sometimes blocks Price’s view. This team will be fine and I would bet big money that you will see the habs raise the cup before any other Canadian team

56. Bill says:

Mmmm … If you could trade Pacioretty for a guy his age and with the same contract who is just as big and has led his team in scoring two years in a row and has has a thirty goal season … wait, is there a single NHL player who meets that description?? Wait, why trade Pacioretty again?

• jols101 says:

And took a ‘home town’ discount on his last contract extension. He could have asked for more than 4.5 million. You don’t trade a guy like him. He has lead the team in points for 2 years and is only 25. You hold on to that for dear life.

• donmarco says:

I suspect, once these playoffs are over, we’ll hear he has undergone surgery to correct a shoulder problem. Or something to that effect. There’s a big difference between playing with pain (which he’s proven he can do), and playing with an injury. I can’t conceive of a realistic trade that I would go for.

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

• The Jackal says:

Agreed Bill. He is clearly injured and it is definitely affecting his game.
      Pac is a team guy and a true building block.

However, if he can’t help the team he should sit and recover, it’s probably better to heal than be ineffective and aggravate it further.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Old Bald Bird says:

He has talent but has been a bit enigmatic this year. Injuries?

• donmarco says:

Reposted above.

57. donmarco says:

Cherry called out MacLean big time for calling the time out.

“You don’t give ammo to the coach”

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

• Mavid says:

I saw that…took it to Walrus face..I almost fell off my chair..

• slapshot777 says:

I said yesterday that the timeout that Maclean called was just to rub it in. It was bullsh!t and eveyone who watches hockey knows it. Maclean loves to rub it in the Habs faces everytime he can get a chance and this is twice so far in the series.

I even had to laugh at the reporter who tried to accuse MT of puttung out guys to fight. MT replied “who were the fighters” he put the fourth line on the same as it was all game no variations that line was the same all night.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

58. CharlieHodgeFan says:

A serious question about Desharnais – something I haven’t seen discussed. I have the impression he really bulked up, compared to last season.
    If my impression is right, it makes sense he would, at his size wanting to survive in the NHL. But it might explain a few troubles he’s had.
    My cheap TV could be betraying my eyes, too.
    Any thoughts?

59. topher5468 says:

Wow, I actually agreed with Cherry, I hope he’s right. Psyched for tomorrow,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

60. Edman says:

To put the Price issue to rest,

Imagine we kept Halak and made the same trade for Eller, but with Price.

St.Louis would have either won the cup last year, or they would have won it this year and been an extreme cup threat for the next 5 years. When Price’s defense plays well, so does he. He makes big saves, but he’s only human and can only make those big saves so much. St.Louis is a fantastically defensive team which complements any goalie, but especially Price.

We would have Halak…who would have been hurt all season long. I love Budaj, but he couldn’t have been able to handle majority of the 48 game season. I doubt we would have won the division, we would be fighting for a lottery pick.

So enjoy what you got, we have a great skilled team with LOADS of YOUNG talent on the front end and the back end. We also have a goaltender that 90% of GM’s SALIVATE over, and the ones that dont, have their stud between the pipes.

I still believe we will be fine in this series, there is a reason why hockey can’t have a “one and done” game to decide anything. All these teams are pretty evenly matched (even NYI/PIT and CHI/MIN).

Do people need to play better? Yes, but they win and lose as a team and this is a great group of guys with a lot of heart, much more than last year. They will pull through, but they also need support from their fans, even when they are losing. So buck up and cheer for Les Habitant!

• KLear says:

Well said…..

• 123456 says:

another thing – a lot of goalies are great. but you ever hold your breath and then let out a sigh of relief when the other team shoots wide – they do that because he has good positioning. price’s game is angles and being in good position – it’s the opposite of a guy like hasek who flopped all over. price is at his best when the defense prevents cross ice passes and he can focus on the shooter. price made a few very good saves in the first last night, just as the sens G made those saves in the first game – difference was the habs defense played horrible after the first last night.

• Chilly Willy says:

Good post!

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think would be stellar in front of a defense like St. Louis, Chicago or L.A.

And to add to that, he will be stellar in front of Tinordi, Emelin, Beaulieu and Subban one day!

****************
      “The Senators had beaten the Canadiens like a pinata. An undersized, soft pinata at that.”
      –Mike Boone

• donmarco says:

Like the post a lot. You forgot to mention that every time this team faced some type of adversity this season they dug deep and proved the doubters wrong. Why won’t it happen tomorrow, when they’ve shown resiliency and character all year? I love what they’ve accomplished this year, and they’re not done yet.

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

• 306Hab says:

good man. Your not gonna get much better in net then Price.

• Habsbill24 says:

Not so sure about Price. 9-17 playoff record seems to indicate that he comes up small at crunch time. Regular season stars are quickly forgotten. The playoffs are what counts and he has a long way to go to prove he is the man when it counts. All the tools in the world but there is something missing. Halak wasn’t the answer either,too small to stand the grind and now he is a backup. But I would trade Price for Jonathan Quick in a heartbeat.

61. The Jackal says:

Whatever happens these playoffs with our Habs, I feel good about the team moving forward. MB knows all the flaws the HIO faithful talk about ad naseum and he will address them. The farther we go this post-season, the better, but it is more an exercise for MB to see what he is working with and who fits and who does not. Players like DD, regardless of whether or not he turns it around before our season ends, will get another look next season and fairly so. Other players will be moved or will not be signed to make room for our young guys and upgrades.

As much as we all want to win it all, there are certain areas we need to improve on majorly to truly contend. I do believe we are a better team than many in the east, but we are not yet consistent enough in our system. We make lots of defensive mistakes and sometimes revert to frustration or lazy O zone play. That will improve with time.

MT and the boys have done well with only half a season to adjust. More experienced teams, like the Sens, are more consistent and effective in their system but we are the better team when all things are equal. It takes our squad a lot of effort to stick to the game plan for the whole 60 but they are really strong when they do. That consistency will improve as well and the team will be better.

If the Habs can stay consistent and play with the effort and intensity we saw in game 2, while staying disciplined, then the Sens are screwed. But if they get frustrated and stray from their game then they will get burned.

I think MT has proven that he can get the boys ready to play, and they will come out so tomorrow. I say we win tomorrow, the key thing will be to prevent the Sens from pushing back and from trying to get their game going.

In other words, Habs need to stay focused and the rest will follow.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m amazed at the people who assume MB could build a different team in one season. This one is significantly improved, and there’s lots of room for forward movement.
      I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s game.

62. Chilly Willy says:

Look at the goals scored in the playoffs, the goalies are on their knees. ON THEIR KNEES. Not only Carey Price.

But I do feel that Price needs a change of senery.

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

63. donmarco says:

What do Patrice Bergeron, Tyler Seguin, Jagr, Toews, Niklas Kronwall, Brandon Saad, Jeff Carter, Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Brendan Morrow, David Backes, and TJ Oshie all have in common with David Desharnais?

Not one of them have a single point in the playoffs. You could make an All Star team out of these “losers”, right haters?

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

• hablittle says:

and in a course of 40 games, do you honestly think DD will have more points than any 1 of those players?
      c’mon , DD is never going to be in that class .

• HabFanSince72 says:

Which is why he earns less than 1/2 the average salary of the players listed.

• donmarco says:

Of course, he’s not in the class of many of the players noted above, which was my point. Based on the expectations, and venom, on this site, you’d think he was a combination of Gretzky and Crosby. Any player, regardless of stature, can go three games without a point. Do you think any fans of the players above are saying the same thing as some of the haters are saying about DD? I’m not taking his side, he hasn’t played well, but he doesn’t deserve this level of hatred either.

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

• Adam says:

Desharnais has an assist.

64. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Maybe I’m not paying enough attention the mainstream media, but has enough fuss been made over the fact that — as far as I can figure — this is the first time since 1987 that all Original 6 teams are in the playoffs?

To me, that is a Big Deal, and a reason for pride in the history of the NHL. Perhaps Bettman rues the fact that “non-traditional” markets for hockey, like Miami and Nashville, are not represented and that this represents some kind of failure, but I would argue that it shows that the Original 6 have been able to play the salary cap game AND maintain some long-standing traditions.

So, let us bask in this special playoff year, in which all of the Original 6 teams are playing, along with two extra Canadian teams, three teams from California, past cup winners in the Penguins and Islanders, and cup finalists in the Blues, Caps, Canucks, Senators…

After a brief and intense season, the 2013 playoffs are a special and rare event in the sport we love, and however our beloved team may perform, there is a lot to love about the state of hockey right now.

Peace, CJ [edited to tidy up grammar]

65. ffenliv says:

In all my years of watching the Habs, I’ve never regretted, if that’s the word, a division title.

For just about any reason you can think, I’d rather be watching the Habs play the Leafs right now.

Hope for a big response from the boys tomorrow night.

66. Chilly Willy says:

Price don’t need to “Steal Games” the players have to score goals period! No matter what they only scored ONE goal last night.

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

67. JoshSS says:

If there is a game 6 on saturday, can anyone please give me their best guess what time it would be at? Thanks.

68. Mark C says:

Man, a lot of dumb crap was written on HIO today.

I see HIO is now taking shots at a two time top-40 scorer, who isn’t even 25 yet. Oh, how we love to eat our own.

• punkster says:

Mark, this comment was not up to par with the last few you posted. You suck. You need to watch a game from the press box. You’re obviously over paid and you should be traded for a bag of pucks.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Habfan10912 says:

Some of us knew what this place would look like today and avoided it like the plague. Thanks for your courage Mark. CHeers.

• twilighthours says:

There’s no reason to give up on Patches. There’s every reason to be frustrated by his play, and to wonder about his heart. Because right now, he’s not paying the price.

• Chris says:

I think Steve was actually somewhat accurate in his musings about Pacioretty. He was not at all writing him off or taking shots at him. But I think it is fair to ask what has happened to him as a player. I don’t think that anybody can dispute that Pacioretty’s game has evolved.

Last season, Pacioretty appeared to be an emerging elite power forward. He put up great point totals and was driving the net.

This season, Pacioretty is playing more like a play-making winger (Alex Tanguay, Martin St. Louis). There’s nothing wrong with that…he’s obviously doing well enough to post good point totals despite an injury riddled campaign. His goal-scoring pace wasn’t too far off what he posted last season.

But it is absolutely fair to question if the player he evolved into this season is the same untouchable that the power forward version was last season. The Canadiens have a significant number of playmakers throughout the roster: Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Markov, Diaz, etc. What they don’t have are physical forwards that can score goals.

Pacioretty has never really showed a strong physical game. It might not be in his DNA, and that is fine. But given the expectations entering the season and the hype around his improved fitness, 2012-13 was disappointing for Pacioretty despite the good point totals.

• ebk says:

Don’t agree with you here.

Pacioretty had a good year, just didn’t score as much as he did the year before. His shooting % is off by quite a bit this year but his shots and other stats are pretty similar. I think most of it is, he didn’t live up to the HIO Scouting Departments idea of what his numbers should have looked like.

As well, both he and DD, were good 5 on 5 offensively but struggled on the PP(DD more than him). Both had about 2 minutes less of TIO this season, which makes their drop in production easier to understand.

• Chris says:

My big concern with Pacioretty was that he hasn’t improved his board play despite bulking up. He remains somewhat ineffective in that important role for a power forward, both in the offensive end and especially in the defensive end.

Pacioretty is a great forward, perhaps the Habs’ best home-grown talent since Koivu (although Galchenyuk will have something to say about that over the next couple of years). I actually think he might be the smartest forward on the team…he’s very heads up in the offensive zone.

But I think that people thought he was going to be a guy who could drive the front of the net, screen the goalie (a la Holmstrom) and score garbage goals by the dozens. Perhaps it is solely a perception thing (he really didn’t do that last year either) and he is yet another victim of wishful thinking by fans of the Montreal Canadiens.

It would have to be one doozy of a trade for me to even contemplate trading Pacioretty. I would expect him to go in a package for a superstar like Malkin or Ovechkin, for example. Anything less, and Pacioretty is just fine in Montreal.

But because I am willing to package him for a superstar forward, I can’t really call him untouchable. I’ll put on the caveat that I don’t think any Montreal Canadiens player is untouchable, although Subban is awfully close now.

• ffenliv says:

It’s part of the problem of 24/7 discussion. This place is a lot like cable news in the US. As we all search for ways to fill air/internet time with new thoughts, naturally the conversation moves towards extremes.

Should limit posting to times when the game clock is running :P

69. KLear says:

Lone Goof MaQuaid scored for B’s……

70. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Bruins goal. And not sound from the TV. Totally silent.

71. twilighthours says:

Reimer. Ugh. And you thought Price was bad!

72. twilighthours says:

Bill/Elle/Chris,

has HIO’s comment quality decreased? We’ve certainly lost some awesome posters who made people laugh (Bugs comes to mind for me, I’m sure we all have our favourites). We’ve also lost posters who, while contributing interesting thoughts, did nothing but pick fights (Berkshire, for example). Sadly, we have yet to lose some of the best trolls, who just can’t stay away (DorvalTony is on my hit list).

At the same time, we’ve gained some quality new people: Commandant and Tom Nickle, to name two.

My gut tells me that it wasn’t always like this on HIO – the constant b!tching about Price/DD/whatever. But then again, it easily could have been.

Really, it’s not so hard to sift through the junk – we all know each other’s screen names well enough to keep on scrolling.

• Chris says:

I wouldn’t say the quality has decreased. There are still tons of people on this site whose posts I almost always enjoy reading. Surprisingly, a lot of them are the people who disagree with me the most. :)

Game blogs have always been a gong show. Emotions run high and people who wouldn’t normally be aggressive or caustic throw their good sense out the window.

Like you said…there are tons of newer posters on the site filling the void left by past favourites. The only thing I would say is that the site is a little bit of a victim of its own success. As traffic increases, you’re going to get more of the inane posts thrown into the mix. The WordPress formatting, limiting the length of conversations, also makes things a little less fun to follow. The old “New” marking on any new posts was nice, because it let you easily go back into slightly older posts to continue a long drawn out conversation if you struggle with keeping things concise, as I clearly do. Twocents and I had many heated discussions about Kovalev in those older posts only to realize that we were basically on the same side of the fence. :)

• L Elle says:

I don’t believe it has decreased, but rather the balance has shifted. There are more trollish comments “per capita” now than discussions and fun, imho.

I don’t mind posters like Tony at all, they are what they are. The ones that are irksome are the ones who post things like, “OH, WHAT A SAVE BY BUDAJ”. It’s this subliminal trolling that is dangerous. Or, the posters who compose eloquent words and dynamic paragraphs, all to say Price or whoever sucks.

As you say, we can usually identify those screen names we don’t enjoy. But I would have thought that the playoffs would bring excitement to people, instead it has brought out the worst. For me, I am not pleased with a terrible game like last night, but by morning I’m thinking about the next game, and am excited by it.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Those who take the time to ‘properly’ express their opinion should be fine. I mean, that’s not trolling. I mean, sure, it’s [very, very] annoying to see someone basically writing off Price, but they should be allowed to express their thoughts.

• L Elle says:

Definitely, but that was not the type of poster I was referring to.

Re twi’s post, in which we’re discussing skipping over posts that aren’t pleasing to you, I prefer the Price sucks posts more, makes them easier to identify.

Whether it’s 2 words, or 500, hating is hating.

• JUST ME says:

I appreciate your comment cause it answers one question i quite often ask myself : is it just me ? Today on HIO Therrien, Bouillon, Paccioretty, Moen, White, Price ,Gionta ,Markov and Desharnais to name a few, we all traded,benched or fired. It is ridiculous and as much as i understand that it takes all sorts of people to make it colourfull…i sometimes just log off from HIO even though i would have so much to write about.
      I guess i am just an average fan willing to go through thick and thin that sees for once a promissing squad of not quite ready for prime time players…
      I sometimes wish some posters were deleted from hio but i understand that this is not how it works here or anywhere else for that matter.

73. frontenac1 says:

@suckabboboo. Frontenac has been calling Habs in 6 along too. Saludos!

• Psycho29 says:

I told co-workers before the series started that we’d lose the first game but win the series.

I still stand by my prediction!!! :-)