Canadiens name Therrien coach

therrien

Michel Therrien
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images Sport

The  Canadiens have announced Michel Therrien as their new head coach. Team announcement here.

AUDIO of News conference: Marc Bergevin | Michel Therrien and Q&A

Therrien had a 77-77-23-13 record with the Habs his first go-around behind the bench, between November 2000 and a little more than midway through the 2002-03 season, when he was replaced by Claude Julien. Therrien was 6-6 in the playoffs as Canadiens coach.

Everything suggested the Habs coaching race was a two-man sprint to the finish between Therrien and Marc Crawford, with Patrick Roy having slipped off GM Marc Bergevin’s radar the past few days. Sports Illustrated’s Mike Farber says on Twitter this morning that Crawford was informed Monday night that he was out of the running.

In a classy gesture Tuesday morning, Crawford tweeted in French and English that he appreciated being part of the coach-selection process, and wished good luck to Marc, Michel and “Les Glorieux.”

Below: Michel Therrien in his first stint as Canadiens coach, as he appeared in the team’s 2001-02 media guide.

2,006 Comments

In the world that really matters, ex-Hab, Dominic Moore, received some terrible news. His wife, Katie, was diagnosed with liver cancer towards the end of the season.

2. boonie says:

After a restless sleep due largely to Bergevin questionable hire, I’ve woken up with a different perspective.

MB is two maybe three steps ahead of me. We sucked last year. We sucked bad. He plans to shed Gomer, Kabs, Bourque and other vestiges of the Gainey/Gauthier era and start fresh with young guys. So, in the short term, we’re going to suck worse – but for the greater good.

In that case, why bring in a coach who’d expect a talented roster or the GM’s expectations to deliver a winner? Just start with a guy who had a terrible team here, flamed out and has a “good developmental resume” (yawn).

Yep, MB figured it out. Buy two years of rebuild time by fronting a polarizing choice as a lightning rod and then hire a real coach for a real team in 2014-ish.

I like it. I get. I’m going back to bed.

Thanks Marc. Kudos.

• Habsrule1 says:

Nobody can rgue the merits of ditching Gomez or Kaberle, but I can’t see Bourque going anywhere. He had 2 seasons in a row of 27 goals and was on pace for the same until he was traded here, to a team with many issues. I think he is the profile of a Therrien guy and will be given every chance to prove that he can still be a 25-30 goal scorer with some size and a bit of an edge.
      Without as many injuries and a bit of improvement/changes, this team may be better than people think next season.

Go Habs Go!!

• boonie says:

Bourque underwhelmed here. Worse (IMO) he has a longer contract then Cammi.

Replacing Gauthier, JM and (demoting) Cunneyworth should have been an opportunity to reboot a miserable team. Guys over 30 who didn’t excel here should be on very short leashes.

Of course, we hired an over 40 retread to lead this band, so why should I expect meaningful changes???

• Habsrule1 says:

I still think Bourque deserves, and will get, another chance. He underwhelmed for a few games. Gomez has underwjelmed for a few years.
          Again, scoring 27 goals 2 years in a row is something. You don’t forget about that because a player struggled for 30 games or whatever on a new team with a lame duck coach in a system everyone seems to agree sucked.

Go Habs Go!!

3. smiler2729 says:

This francocoach thing is really bugging me.
    Even in European soccer, countries hire foreign coaches… but not here, no, we’re gonna be mediocre forever. Thank you Bertrand Raymond and your ilk, you f***ing morons

• boonie says:

It’s all good Smiles.

He hired the guy RDS wanted. If he wins, great. If he doesn’t win, then Bergy will get to make a choice independent of language starting with a “we did it your way and it didn’t work” statement. We’ve decided to hire Scott Bowman (then 102) to run the club and return us to our former glory.

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree smiler. It rubs me the wrong way, but the thing is, there were not really that many available coaches that were far and away better qualified than Therrien to coach the Habs. The guys I would have preferred (Roy, Hartley, Crawford) all speak French anyway.
      Who was available that is an obvious upgrade?

Go Habs Go!!

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…which of the Commentariat was number 1500 ? …does He win a car ?

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

5. Un Canadien errant says:

-For Pierre Gauthier – “Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want” by The Smiths
    -For Scott Gomez – “Money Changes Everything” by The Smiths
    -For Dale Hunter – “Death At One’s Elbow” by The Smiths
    -For Don Cherry – “Paint A Vulgar Picture” by The Smiths
    -For Ryan Smyth – “Back To The Old House” by The Smiths
    -For P.K. Subban – “You Just Haven’t Earned It Yet, Baby” by The Smiths
    -For Henrik & Daniel Sedin – “Hand In Glove” by The Smiths
    -For Aaron Palushaj – “Nowhere Fast” by The Smiths
    -For Darren Dreger – “Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before” by The Smiths
    -For PJ Stock – “That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore” by The Smiths

———————————
    In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Normand, if Therrien proves Us all wrong, I will revert again to ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’
      …just a heads-up :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…to Normand, and anyOne else at all interested …Y’all will find I have changed My Official Habs’ Theme Song :)

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• HabFab says:

So Christopher, no party huh!! Was really looking forward to a trip to BC ;)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…is the Therrien schmozzle keeping You awake at night like Myself Frank ?

• HabFab says:

Not keen on the guy but really had no preferences. I have become “comfortably numb” over the years to my Habs and their language limitations. Actually HH, Timo and the Dude have challenged my lethargy this past season by pointing out that our being happy making the play-offs, just doesn’t cut it and our standards should be higher.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…humor dulls disappointment and pain …and, it’s good to come here because there are nuggets of good humor between the bellyaching

…We grew up spoiled rotten as far as being Habs’ Fans …very difficult to deal with what has gone on the last 2 decades

• Un Canadien errant says:

I knew you’d come around.

Now, to be the supercilious stickler that all of you now know and love (usually regarding grammar), your theme song is actually a Smiths song.

If you insist on Morrissey, an appropriately lugubrious song might be “Every Day Is Like Sunday”.

———————————

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, You may have noticed ‘grammar’ is something I have been ignoring with ostentatious flaunting :)
        …and, The Smiths would not be in Our lexicon without Morrissey
        …I’m just a stubbornly relentless schismatist Normand :)
        …You the supercilious stickler; and I the stubbornly relentless schismatist; the Odd Couple of HIO :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

7. VancouverHab says:

Gentlemen: just to clarify that when Hard Habits wrote “Today’s Kings team would destroy the 1976 Habs in a 7 game series” he wasn’t being serious! That’s irony, humor, faceitiousness, jocularity, teasing, literary inversion, joie de vivre, pullin’ our legs.

We all love & respect HH and know that he’s not insane.

8. Marc10 says:

Well I’ve done my part to get us over 1,500.

It’s been a blast guys. I look forward to catching up with this thread in a couple of hours to see if we’ve cracked the code to bring us the Cup.

Cheers!

To those who have championed the case for Roy as head coach, did you really want his rookie year to be with the current Hab roster? I think Even Patrick realized the timing was not right. Upon listening to Bergevin talk about Therrien, I think I understand why he was chosen.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nothing wrong with him learning with a young roster that has holes, and learning what his players can and can’t do. As the assets in the system began to mature, so would he, and he would have a team in his image and build it to succeed.

To say that because the team’s roster was weak meant the timing wasn’t right is selling him short as a coach. When you teach or you coach, you have a passion to get people to learn and improve, no matter what level they’re at.

Anyway, I’m harping on you, I still haven’t really made my peace yet. Maybe tomorrow morning I’ll feel better about this.

———————————

I feel your passion towards Roy, I just think Montreal, especially currently is not the best place to cut your teeth as a coach, just a hunch but I think he turned it down.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I, of course :), agree with Normand Gerald
      …I’ve been saying the same as He for quite some time now …except He says it better :)
      …but, I will qualify My position by admitting, that neither I nor anyOne else knows why Roy was eliminated from consideration …whether it was Bergevin’s or Roy’s own choice …so, that is an ‘unknown’ at this time

I do respect both or your positions on the matter. I was not happy when I couldn’t sleep last night and at the am hour realized Therrien was coach. But I think I am beginning to understand why.

10. rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

“Whatever you may be sure of, be sure of this: That you are dreadfully like other people.” ~James Russell Lowell

“Who sees all beings in his own self, and his own self in all beings, loses all fear.” ~Isa Upanishad

Q: Do you think the Canadiens made a good move in hiring Michel Therrien as their new head coach?

(√) i don’t know!

I don’t think Roy wanted the job given the current state of the Habs. He will far better served to see where the Habs are in two years and perhaps then the opportunity will be paved for success. Now if Roy really wants that he will take a pro job somewhere as training I hope. But I think Roy was smart enough to recognize that the current roster did not present a Cup Champion.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sorry to keep you up late with my belly-aching HiB.

I think the experience angle is overplayed in regards to Patrick Roy. Sure it’s a consideration, a blemish on his resume, but that’s not why we’d hire him. We’d hire him for his leadership ability, his passion, the energy he’d instill. A guy like that comes around once in a decade. You don’t fixate on the warts, you hire him, harness the potential, and surround him with assistants who’ll counterbalance his weaknesses.

———————————

12. elmack says:

anyone ever met his daughter? hehehe

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…to all the so-called Habs’ Fans fulminating on the Franco vs Anglo bullcrap …button it, will Ya :(

• Clay says:

No one is a ‘so called’ Habs fan. They are either fans or not. Irrespective of racist tendencies.

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• boing007 says:

We didn’t create the Franco vs Anglo bullcrap, we are just very upset about it all and we don’t like it.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

14. Aaron13 says:

This appointment is the beginning of the end of the new season. There are far better coaches out there that could have moulded the young players and harnessed the talent of some of the veterans. This is another debacle.

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

@HardHabits

…David I disagree …We, most Fans, would be significantly more tolerant of Roy’s learning curve than any potential future blunders of Therrien

…the opportunity of this so-called ‘fresh start’ represented by ‘the Bergevin era’ provided a Carte Blanche, for Our Fans to watch Roy grow with Our Team

…Therrien, like it or not, will have much more negativity to deal with relative to Roy

• HardHabits says:

Let me counter your argument. ;-)

Possibly what you are saying is true but it is based on assumptions. Let’s see what pans out before jumping to conclusions.

Roy is still untested with adults and that is why I think his next learning curve should be in Hamilton. I was in the Roy camp but I am in the Habs camp first.

Therrien has more coaching experience than Roy, he wanted the job, has been there and done that. He’ll handle the pressure or negativity if it arises because he’s been there and we’ve already seen it. Things can’t get any worse than last season. And it they do it just means another round of stocking the shelves with prospects.

In retrospect I am even glad that the Habs didn’t hire Roy given the circumstances and false expectations it would have created. I also think those false expectations would become a din rendering silent any amount of tolerance for any learning curve pitfalls.

If Roy wants to coach the Habs, he should prove it by going to Hamilton for two years.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…respectfully, completely disagree Dave
        …by the way, nothing like Spring and early summer in Montreal with a beautiful girl on Your arm …enjoy ! :)

16. alfieturcotte says:

After all the suspense…… Therrien, seriously??? Has this franchise not suffered enough with the PG / Gainey era?

Is Marc Bergevin simply looking to please the franco fans?

We’ll give Bergevin another chance to prove himself, but thus far not impressive. His press conferences are uninspiring – he comes off as unintelligent. And now Therrien? We are in for a frustrating season.

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

@The Dude

…You are so right Stephen

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Marc10

…Patrick Roy …for One

• Marc10 says:

@HabitantinSurrey

Yeah… fair enough. He’s done what he had to do with the Remparts.

But he’s a franco so it’s still a sign of utter bias for some critics… and he’d be a rookie coach in MTL, not necessarily the best scenario. Plus his temper, his past history in MTL at the end, etc.

He wouldn’t be a unanimous choice – not even close. The point being there isn’t one out there (irrespective of language). That said, I’d have been fine with Pat. We’re in a very shallow pool of talent at the mo so maybe it’s worth taking a punt. MB obviously didn’t want to roll that dice.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…and, We not being flies on Their walls, don’t know whether Patrick ultimately wanted in
        …will be interesting to confirm what went down between Them

19. Un Canadien errant says:

Even those who were rabidly against the hire of Patrick Roy as head coach would feel better tonight if he had been chosen. What an underwhelming, uninspiring choice. I’ll give Michel Therrien every chance to put his stamp on the team and prove my lethargic disapproval unfounded, but it’s hard to not feel blah. Like the evening after the Super Bowl when your favourite team lost and you’re out 50 bucks, it sets up an unshakable cognitive dissonance relative to how amped you were before kickoff versus how depressed you feel now.

———————————

• HardHabits says:

Buddy. Hopefully you’ll feel better before you reach my age and level of maturity. :-P

But seriously, I might have touted Roy too, but he was an unknown. Therrien wasn’t even on my list, but truth be told the list was thin. And all retreads, except Roy. At any rate I am of the opinion that Roy should coach in Hamilton before he steps in as head coach of the Habs.

This hiring speaks to something else which is why I am not disturbed or perturbed by it. It’s speaks towards a direction. A plan.

Economically speaking and on the short term it also placates the the fan-base that matters. That’s the reality.

Roy would have accomplished the same, but the expectations would have been unrealistic. Now it’s oddly enough, steady as she goes. Last in the East with only up to go.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not sure if I expressed this properly, but there would be a much greater sense of anticipation with Patrick Roy as head coach, even if you hated the choice, as opposed to Michel Therrien. With Patrick Roy there would be a sense that great things were possible, even if you were one of the detractors who expected a meltdown. The team would have more prestige and credibility with him at the helm, they’d instill more respect in the opposition. Ex-players described how confident they felt striding into opposition rinks with Serge Savard as the GM, puffing away on his cigar. I think we’d get that effect with Patrick Roy. Spilled milk I guess, but I need to get it off my chest, and you lucky rascals get to be the audience.

———————————

20. darcy1 says:

1493! gotta get to 1500!

on therrien – everyone thought LA was crazy for bringing in Darryl Sutter, and look where it has gotten them. Lets only hope the same can be done with this team!

——————-
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”
    - Jean Beliveau

21. NightRyder says:

Hard to get fired up for this announcement.

22. The Dude says:

This is how this site sounds to me today….I HATE FRANCO’S AND Quebec should stfu because English rules the world!

• Lizardking89 says:

BS man. This team discriminates never giving an anglo a chance to succeed within the organization. Just to appease the equally bigoted separatists and French media.

• Marc10 says:

Still waiting to hear from you on that amazing list of alternative candidates. Most people who hate this hire cannot be bothered to name one candidate when they say there are many better suited coaches out there.

As for the Anglo vs Franco hires…

Anglos (Dudley and Mellanby) = 2
        Francos (Therrien) = 1

If you want a shutout, you’ll need to pony up a name, eh.

• jrshabs1 says:

Brent Sutter…Ted Nolan….. Terry Murray….. Randy Cunnyworth… Dallas Eakins…. that was 1 min of thought. There are a ton of qualified Anglo’s ready to coach, but, nope…the Habs will settle for some former coach reject only because he speaks francais. Couldn’t be happier!!

Go Habs Go!!

• Marc10 says:

Brent Sutter = Really?! What’s he ever done that’s better than Therrien?
            Ted Nolan = I agree (but he’s black listed and Pat Roy handed him his arse in the Memorial Cup)
            Terry Murray – nah. That’s truly uninspiring!
            Randy = Again. What’s he done that’s superior to Therrien.
            Dallas Eakins = Interesting. Would be a rookie NHL coach. He’d need to be pretty special and quite the innovator – especially if he’s going to take the helm in the pressure cooker.

In any event, I don’t see a real game changer in there. I think you could argue MT’s case against most those guys. No one on that list is close to perfect – experienced at the NHL level, a proven winner, solid rep…

A talent egal (as they say)… Why would you go out and hire a unilingual candidate if he’s not going to walk in with a massively superior CV?

• Lizardking89 says:

I agree Marc there wasn’t a slam dunk candidate out there the pickings were slim but Therrien is the last candidate out there that I would have chosen. I don’t care if the coach speaks French honestly but what pisses me off is that it appears that he was chosen because; A. He speaks French, B. Is a friend of Bergevin and C. He has some coaching experience.

I just don’t understand the rational behind this move at all, the man hasn’t coached in 3 years! If he was any good someone would have hired him by now. From the outside looking in it appears that Marc Crawford wasn’t good enough because French wasn’t his first language.

What’s going to happen when Quenneville or another elite anglo coach hits the market? He won’t get hired plain and simple because the media will crucify him for it. Aren’t you sick of the hypocrisy and bigotry? I sure as hell am.

23. Marc10 says:

One thing MB has done with this hire is lowered the bar on expectations.

Before the MT hire, we were looking towards the future with cautious optimism…

Now the franchise is deeply screwed. We’ll never attract top end talent, our prospect development is going to take a massive step back, we won’t make the playoffs and we’ll never win a Cup in our lifetimes.

Is MB a genius or completely crazy? He’s got a retread francophone coach that no one expects anything from… That’s either the dumbest move ever or a spark of genius.

[Will this thread hit 2K?!]

24. H.Upmann says:

Dammit, Kirk! Start learning French!

• Un Canadien errant says:

He had his chance, a stretch of about ten years when he could have wised up.

A friend once described him as the nicest guy you’d ever meet, but maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed. How he never saw that it was in his best interest to pick up some conversational French is revelatory in that regard. How could he not see the giant opportunity that was right in front of him?

———————————

25. Marc10 says:

I get the whole ‘language issue’ for many posters. Therrien can’t possibly be the best candidate. Language was part of the selection criteria… bla, bla, bla… Completely get it.

I also firmly believe that if Mike Babcock was available he’d get the job. Straight up. If there was a vastly superior candidate who didn’t speak a word of French, they’d hire him.

Problem is – there isn’t. Crawford was not that guy. Heck, I can’t think of a coach out there with NHL experience (I do believe that was a major criteria) that is available and vastly superior to Therrien. Ron Wilson…? Nope. Paul Maurice…? Meh…

Where the Habs missed their chance was not locking up Boucher or Muller when they were going through the system. Given those constraints is Therrien really the disaster people are making it out to be…? Well I guess we’ll find out.

• habs_54321 says:

those are pretty much my thoughts as well, it is a bad year to be looking for a coach the candidate pool was very slim to choose from. i think therrien is not the long term solution but this isn’t a contending team anyways,. therrien is an experienced enough (teacher) for our prospects and when the time comes where the team needs a new voice therrien can easily be fired hopefully at a time when a larger candidate pool is available

• HardHabits says:

Losing Boucher and Muller is on the past regime.

This hiring is part of a search for a term of stability and renewal and as has been alluded today by many posters looks like part of the process of the reorganization/rebuild that is happening.

The invective levied at this decision is beyond farcical.

26. habsnyc says:

There are three ways to explain this hiring. Either Therrien is the best man for the job or he is a placeholder until a more suitable candidate becomes available or he is the weakest coach who presents the least potential opposition to the general manager. The problem is that the first explanation makes so little sense to me that I have to invent two others.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

27. alwayssunny says:

Welcome back Mom Boucher. I haven’t been this excited since they hired Gainey.

Seriously though, Therien, Bergevin, Dudley, Mellanby… how can you not be excited after the 3 zombies we just endured. Wait that was uncalled for – zombies at least have a clear sense of purpose.

One thing Therien has over the other supposed candidates is that he had to watch these losers every night. He has endured the driftwood that Gainey and Martin were so fond of, right along with us. Hopefully they cut bait with a few more of the symbols of everything that has smelled around here. Gauthier, like his partner, couldnt go without sticking it to us with a couple more typical players and contracts of that regime, Bourque and Kaberle (Gomez should be a foregone conclusion). Poor Bergevin has to figure that out and if he can’t then Therien will have to. And i doubt he will just mollycoddle them like Martin would.

28. habsnyc says:

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

29. Bripro says:

So I would have to assume Big Bird will no longer be an assistant, unless someone knows of any type of relationship between him and MT. However, I would like to introduce you to his new assistant coaches:

Guy Carbonneau (good choice)
    Mario Tremblay (horror of horrors)
    Michel Bergeron (ditto)

• Lizardking89 says:

I’d be so f’ing pissed if they brought Tremblay back too. I hate that jerk off with a burning passion.

• Marc10 says:

He was a rookie coach and the results speak for themselves…. Something to bear in mind as you come up with that list of alternatives. :-)

(I do believe he had a winning record with the Habs regardless…)

That said there’s no way he makes it back. He’s happy as a clam in the media. (I’d share your dismay if that came to pass… He’s retired!)

On the flip side, Mario Tremblay once made a gorgeous pass to Yvon Lambert to eliminate the Don Cherry Bruins and win us a Cup. He was an awesome warrior throughout his playing career with the Habs. You probably never lived through that period (I’m assuming) so it’s hard to forgive him for his spectacular debacle as a rookie coach.

• Lizardking89 says:

I’m 40 years old man I remember it well but he ran my hero out of town to satisfy his massive ego and set the team back 19 years and counting. The good that he did for the team when he played is overshadowed by his complete incompetence as a coach. I hate his guts for what he did and always will.

• HabFab says:

I’m the same age as Mario, first meet him when he was 19 and he was an asshole then. I have never changed my perception.

30. JohnBellyful says:

Nothing new to contribute. Just doing my part to get post numbers up to 1,500. Hate to see us fall short, after so many have given so much to get to this point.

31. boing007 says:

Boston is beating the Heat. In Miami.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

32. WindsorHab-10 says:

I guess we have to live with Bergevin’s pick for coach, even though most of us respectfully disagree. How about the rest of the coaching staff? Who will be joining Therrien? With the Devils likely out tomorrow night, how about placing a call to Larry Robinson & see if he’s interested in being an assistant? If that works out, I’ll learn to live with Therrien.

• ths says:

I would be surprised if Robinson would lower himself to work for this Dog and Pony show. He has much more dignified things to do with his life

• Lizardking89 says:

Same here. After being snubbed by Gainey or the goat (forget which) why would he want to leave a successful and 2nd best run franchise in the league to join this circus.

33. Chris says:

Patting myself on the back:

I’m happy to see Jonathan Quick hasn’t face-planted this season after I spent much of last summer and fall claiming that Quick should be right there with Carey Price in the conversation for top young goaltender in the NHL. Always thought Quick has been hugely under-valued because he played in a non-hockey market in the Pacific time zone.

I guess my “boxcar statistical comparison” and refusal to place much value on Quick having never accomplished anything at the World Juniors weren’t so far-fetched after all.

Bringing myself back to Earth:

I picked the Devils in 5 or 6. Clearly, I am a complete idiot. :)

• Bripro says:

If it’ll make you feel any better, I also picked them in 6, IF Marty showed up…

• Chris says:

Can’t blame Martin Brodeur…

2 goals on 25 shots in an OT loss in Game 1.

2 goals on 32 shots in an OT loss in Game 2.

And then in Game 3, he gives up the first goal which should have been blown dead and Martinez had enough time to write his biography while poking away at the puck, there were so few Devils around him. The second goal by Kopitar was a beautiful shot on a nice cross-ice pass that will give any goalie trouble. Two power play goals in the third didn’t really matter, but neither were particularly soft goals.

The Devils are struggling because they can’t score. Parise (11 shots), Kovalchuk (5 shots), Zajac (3 shots) and Elias (6 shots) have been completely neutralized.

34. JUST ME says:

I left the french side of the Habs forums to come here about a year ago cause i found that everything evolved around their little world and that all the language debate had nothing to do with sports. It got to a point where i could not stand certain reporters unable to see clearly the priorities and trying to find every little bug that they could find.

Basically for me HIO was more civilized and although we could find the same annoying comments here too , at least we found some real fans cheering for their team through thick and thin.

But what i read here today really made me sick. Funny how today it is on the english side that the hatred can be felt and on the same token regulars here blame the french media.

Comments about Therrien were way out of line and outrageously negative as only the french side of habs fans are known for.
    Hopefully a little beauty sleep will do you good cause today you have been quite ugly. Sorry but i had to write it.

• HardHabits says:

Nice. And I agree. Cheers buddy!! ;-)

• Chris says:

I’m down on it because I felt like the organization was going the right direction by bringing in fresh faces and new ideas. Michel Therrien is a disciplinarian and defence-first coach. We just had one of those, and much of the time it seemed like the system simply didn’t fit the personnel.

Montreal spent years drafting players that fit Gainey’s vision of bringing Detroit Red Wings hockey to the Eastern Conference: speed and skill were priorities.

Unfortunately, Martin’s style of coaching didn’t really let guys like that flourish. I’m not sure that Therrien is all that much different.

I still cheer the team through thick and thin. I liked the hiring of Bergevin and liked that they brought in Mellanby. I’m decidedly neutral on Dudley.

I will withhold full judgement on the coaching situation (I need to see who his assistants are first), but I’m more pessimistic about the team moving forwards than I was last week.

Being a fan does not mean that we can not critically discuss the team’s decisions. I can understand that the tone has been negative, but I think that was largely because people were really hoping for a complete changing of the guard in Montreal after a disastrous season, and bringing in a marginally successful coach who carries some obvious baggage is a considerable letdown and reversal of the positive momentum and goodwill that had been building amongst the fan base towards the team.

Few (if any!) of us expect this team to contend for a Stanley Cup next season (they are probably closer to contending for the MacKinnon Cup), but a fresh new outlook for the franchise was the bare minimum expectation.

• gwebster says:

Criticism involves not just assent or dissent but a substantiated and constructive opinion. There are too many one or two line comments that provide nothing except that 1) we made the wrong choice and 2) can look forward to another failed year.

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – For a variety of reasons, Bergevin got boxed in when it came to choosing a coach.

Facing that reality, he went with devil he knew (and trusted) rather than going off the beaten path by taking a flyer on a complete unknown.

It’s hard to know if the honeymoon is over. Regardless, I’m sure as hell not coming here every day to harp on Therrien, especially seeing that training camp hasn’t even started yet.

We’re boats against the current until the end.

• Chris says:

I’m not harping on Therrien this summer either. I’m disappointed, but in the end he isn’t much more than a placeholder and won’t be around when the team is ready to contend. Coaches of his style have a “best before” date that ensures we’ll be in the market for a “player’s coach” (Muller?) before too long.

Back to our endless prognosticating about the draft. :)

• VancouverHab says:

Perfectly said also, wise Chris: especially the part about the chiasm between th edrafting direction and the coaching direction–admirably noted.

• Bripro says:

I just commented that we are slowly lightening up, as compared to this morning. The site’s servers could be heard humming from downtown, bombarded with negativity.

• D Mex says:

Couldn’t agree more.
      Decades ago, the heart of this team was players like Richard, Béliveau, Tremblay, Lemaire, Cournoyer, Vachon and on and on. Certainly, they were not the only Habs greats, or the greatest of the greats for that matter, but I remember them as the nucleus of what made the bleu, blanc et rouge so special to watch as it moved around on the ice. They were the essence of what makes some of the morons who camp here today think they are somehow better or more knowledgeable than they have any right to pretend.

Last night, some clown from Brockville felt justified in commenting about what the ‘ ideology ‘ of an open mind must be because, when you come from Brockville, I guess you just know this stuff. Well junior, you want ideology, try this one :
      In the world of hockey, there are two teams : the Habs, and whoever they happen to be sharing the ice with. Call it obsession, religion, fanaticism, whatever you want. But before sitting down to tarnish it here or anywhere else with your lingo-phobia crap, take a quick look for the exit door, and then be extra careful not to let it hit you in the ass on the way out.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

35. Bripro says:

The view seems more …. neutral to somewhat positive. I guess it took a while to digest, like the 32-ouce at Deny’s.

36. I don’t know why you guys are jumping on HardHabits – all of his posts make sense. I am not ecstatic about this hiring, but I don’t hate it either. In fact I am liking what I am reading about him, this team lacks toughness inside out. And if he’ll really make each player accountable – then I can’t wait to see Gomez working his ass off.

You can say what you want about the Therrien hiring but I can’t remember the last time a HI/O thread had over 1400 posts. The TSN thread on Therrien has 53 PAGES of posts. Quite the lightening rod in Hab land.

One thing I know for sure, the Therrien hiring is going to be a major sore spot with Hab half-milers such as Gomez, Bourque and Kaberle.

• gwebster says:

Do you think the hiring foreshadows some of our vets being let go for more of a youth movement?

• 24 Cups says:

Gomez – just waiting for the right timing and circumstance. Rightly or wrongly, he’s the face of the Gainey regime and therefore has to go. There’s no clean slate as long as he’s still around.

Bourque – works best on one year contracts. The team still needs what he (occasionally) brings so he gets another kick at the can even though he has four years left on his deal. Could be the perfect 3rd line left winger.

Kaberle – there may be lots of good young Dmen in the pipeline but none of them will be ready next year. He stays until further notice, especially seeing that Markov is still a question mark. A year from now, he’s on the clock.

• Hobie Hansen says:

YA that is true. I don’t think Therrien would go to the extent of totally throwing his players under the bus like he did in Pittsburgh, but he’d lay into the players you mentioned if they repeated the same performance this year.

• Bripro says:

And it’s funny how , if you watch French coverage, it’s overly positive, as opposed to, for instance, this site, his nomination is overwhelmingly negative.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bottom line to me is that Therrien is a decent coach. I don’t think there was a real “home run” coach out there. Does the French requirement get on my nerves, sure, but what can ya do?

38. boing007 says:

Carbonneau on RDS said that he was interviewed twice for HC.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

39. Hobie Hansen says:

Michel Therrien wasn’t my first choice but I’m not floored with the hiring like other people seem to be.

Therrien was clearly thrilled during the press conference today and during his interview on TSN. If he can follow up with his comments about expecting more leadership and a better fitness regiment to avoid injuries, he’d be an improvement.

Therrien has Bergevin, Carriere and Mellanby backing him up. He’ll help hire some great assistants and I think he’ll be pretty good.

• gwebster says:

I agree. Bergevin has clearly interviewed a lot of people, and he wouldn’t have hired Therrien unless he made the most sense based on the direction if the team. A lot of people are speaking as if he was hired arbitrarily based on reading Therrien’s stats and history on Wikipedia and watching videos of him on YouTube. Dialogue is way more important than either of those because all parties clearly have a vision, and, evidently, Therrien’s vision made the most sense. Unfortunately us fans are only privy to Wikipedia and YouTube and very little that is actually substantial.

40. JohnBellyful says:

I’ve got this MT feeling right now in the pit of my stomach. How do I make it go away?

41. H.Upmann says:

You know, on second thought, this hire can’t turn out too bad. For one thing, either we get another top pick, or we squeak into 8th. Anything in between and he’s fired.

42. Habs4Lyfe says:

I am kinda of disappointed with trying to recycle old blood, why not have gotten Lemaire, & or Robinson if that’s what you want to do. Of course, you coached Crosby and Malkin and Fleury and Co. to the Finals and lost, at least Lemaire and Robinson have both coached Jersey to the Cup.

Myself, I would have hammerrr something out w/ Roy.
    I want my goalie to be like that. Maybe new brass will draft Malcolm Subban as well.
    Habs 4 Lyfe

43. WindsorHab-10 says:

Earth to Bergevin: WTF were you thinking?

Boy, do I miss JM.

44. gwebster says:

Here’s something interesting to note. When Therrien lost to Detroit in 07-08, one major issue was a lack of scoring depth. Only Ryan Malone had more than 10 points in that playoff run (aside from Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, Hossa). Essentially it was a 1 line team that failed against Detroit defense. The next year Bill Geurin, Ruslan Fedotenko, Chris Kunitz and Chris Letang were all added and all had over 10 points in the playoffs. With more depth Therrien likely would have won the year before. It’s important to note that a GM and their acquisitions are just as important as the coach to creating a team that can make it in the playoffs. Also should note that Bylsma has had no playoff success after the year that he and Therrien split the season.

• gwebster says:

Give Therrien a chance before throwing in the towel. I like Bergevin and I trust that he and Dudley took the candidate that made the most sense with the direction they are taking the team. There is no coach or GM that will have success with any team regardless of that team’s play style. The best are the best because not only are they good at what they do but also because they are wise enough to choose to work for teams that compliment their style. Maybe Therrien made more sense than the other candidates to Bergevin based on the direction he’s taking the team.

Shoutout to Hard Habits – You must be kidding me in terms of the Kings being superior to the ’76 Habs.

Quick, Kopitar and Brown certainly excelled the past two months but LA had one of the softest rides in the history of the NHL playoffs. All four teams they faced failed to step up even for a game or two. The Habs had nine Hall of Famers on that team from the ’70s. C’mon, Dave.

• Bripro says:

You have to put it into context. There is no question that for their era, they were the best team of any sport, for their time.
      But I believe that they would have a hard time against most teams today. The players are bigger and faster than in the past. except maybe last year’s Habs.

• JohnBellyful says:

Two-Four, HH was just pokin’ a stick in the anthill, that’s all. Being the resident gadfly, he’s gotta keep in practice or risk going soft(hearted).

• 24 Cups says:

10-4. I just got home and started quickly browsing through the comments. I realize that Dave sometimes likes to create a bit of a shitstorm. No better time than today!

I’m not enamored with the Therrien hiring but as long as he doesn’t ruin the kids I can live with it. The new five year plan kicks in about three years from now. I’ve waited twenty years so what’s three more.

• HardHabits says:

Softest rides? They destroyed the Canucks and the Blues (mind you minus Halak) which were top 5 teams over-all and then made short work of a very tenacious Coyotes team only to now have a 3-0 strangle hold on what was considered the only team in the East to have a chance against the early prognostications of an LA SCF berth.

Two eras. My initial point is to dispel the notion that the ’76 Habs team would waltz to victory in today’s NHL. Today’s hockey is faster, tougher and more skilled than what we saw in the 70′s.

As for waltzing to a Cup win… that would be this season’s LA Kings.

• 24 Cups says:

Canucks – never truly recovered from losing a Cup that was there for the taking last season.

St Louis – much like Boston ans Pittsburgh, they peaked too early. Once they lost their true #1 goalie the game was over.

Phoenix – pardon the mixed metaphors, but once they rose from the ashes they eventually turned into pumpkins when the clock struck twelve.

New Jersey – Brodeur wasn’t stellar but he was better than the clowns who were in net for Pittsburgh and Philly. Kudos for beating the Rangers. However, their core forwards have totally shite the bed in the month of June.

The best thing that ever happened for the Kings was the Penguins imploding. That was their true window of opportunity that eventually took them to the Cup.

If Carey Price ever becomes as good as Jonathan Quick…..

46. Bripro says:

They announced a fan question period on l’antichambre, but I must have missed it, because both questions of concern for me were not addressed:
    1. Does he believe that when it came down to a final selection, was languages a determining factor and
    2. How can you assure us that you will be more successful this time around?

I hope his approach is more open with the players, and for the fans, to offer a more offensive performance.

47. zorro1999 says:

He had best players in the world. They didn’t want to play for him. That was he got fired.

zorro

I think the 1972 Dolphins would beat the 1976 Habs.

49. Jdub1515 says:

Carbo, Therrien, JM
    blah blah blah

What about Bowman? Robinson? Suter?

how about we quit having language run this organization into the ground???

• Habs4Lyfe says:

Because the just want someone to lead who has been to the finals and lost, not been there and won. no of course not Robinson would have been my pick, luv the big bird, and he’s won it as head coach of jersey too. It’ll be a bail out job when the team revolts…he got fired from a Crosby,Malkin team(as in loaded w/ too much talent)…lets see….
      Habs 4 Lyfe

50. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Alllllrrriiighht…………………

When Therrien and MB are fired after posting a 0-0-12 record, here is my suggestion for our new, new staff…

Mike Boone as General Manager, with that Berkshire dude as an assistant GM.

Mitch Melnick as head coach, with Red Fisher and Viggo Mortinson as assistants.

So there.

51. frontenac1 says:

Agreed! If they could just get Big Bird behind the bench next year ……See, feelin”better already!

52. novahab says:

I think it is pretty clear the fans do not agree with this pick. So now the GM and coach have the world sitting on their shoulders before the season has even started. There will not be enough money in Montreal to pay Roy to take this job now. Roy is gone forever, so Mr. Molson you dam well better hope this works out. If this season turns ugly there will be no place to hide.They did not say no to Roy. Roy said no to them, because they would not give him the say over players.

53. smiler2729 says:

This placating to the french media BS is enough to make me wonder why I even root for this team anymore, after the initial buzz of Bergevin, Dudley and all that promise, the team is going nowhere as usual…

Whatever, a lockout’s coming anyways…

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

Today’s Kings team would destroy the 1976 Habs in a 7 game series. Different eras. Athletes today are far superior than athletes back then. Habs were great because every other team in the league in the 70′s (except maybe Boston) sucked ass.

• HabFab says:

Wow! Drink much?

• HardHabits says:

Have you seen hockey from that era? It’s lie watching bumble bees bouncing around a hive.

• HabFab says:

I spent the 70′s in the Forum and that team could play anyone…except the Ruskies ;) but that was more about Dryden not being able to handle them.

• HardHabits says:

Habs fans are like religious adherents. Nothing can challenge their faith.

I am not saying it isn’t possible that the 1976 Habs would beat today’s Kings in a 7 game series but it wouldn’t be the walk in the park people are suggesting. And I honestly think in today’s game the athletes of the past wouldn’t stand a chance.

Players today are bigger and faster and have more skill and speed. They also have better dietary and exercise regimes.

I take today’s champions over yesterday’s. Same way the 1976 Habs would destroy the 1955 team.

• novahab says:

Wow you have to get off the crack.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

The kings today are a mediocre team with a good goalie who have gotten lucky

they were #8 for petes sake, they can’t be that good

• commandant says:

I agree that today people are better athletes due to equipment, training etc….

Give the 1976 team the same nutrition, training, equipment, etc…. and they would destroy the kings.

From a pure talent standpoint, the 76 team was much, much better, not even close.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Caper says:

Are you kidding? Do your homework and then report back.

• Chris says:

Of course they would if we were using the DeLorean time machine to ferry the 2012 L.A. Kings back to 1976 and leaving the Canadiens players of that era unchanged.

Everything is different. Today’s players have better conditioning, are bigger, stronger and faster than their compatriots in 1976-77, and the coaches are far more knowledgeable about their opponents.

But that is a shell-game. We can never know how the players on that 76-77 team would translate to the modern era if they had grown up in the same conditions as the Kings’ players.

• HardHabits says:

Yes I know and I agree. I am bored and just wanted to ruffle a few feathers. Sue me for knowing how to push all y’alls buttons.

Bergevin is learning on the job early. I am loving his Therrien choice merely because so many people are in anguish over it.

• Timo says:

HH, other than this choice pissing everyone off (which I agree, can be quite satisfying), is there anything hockey related that you like about this choice?

• HardHabits says:

Therrien wasn’t my first choice. Heck he wasn’t even on my list. Doesn’t matter. The Habs have a plan and parts of it might be painful for the bulk of people. No pain no gain. Too many people think the Habs are like a magical team that once you don the jersey a plug becomes a super hero.

Therrien has enough experience at not just the NHL level but at many levels. And yes he speaks French. I am no lefty-separatist, I don’t support these idealistic but very cute students in their quest to over-turn the world’s social order and have everything handed to them on the same silver platter their parents ate from, but I do support the promotion of the French language. I feel blessed to speak 3 languages.

Hockey wise though why not Therrien? Is Vigneault any better? Hasn’t Julien proved himself? We always talk about the ones that got away. Well! We got one back after some seasoning.

I will give it at least a few months if not a year or two before I question this move. I neither support nor oppose it. What I am not going to do is lose any sleep over it or feel anything at all. I am very Zen about the whole thing. Except of course stoking the flames here.

• HabFab says:

Sorry Chris but talent wise no comparison…don’t care if this team is stronger and in better physical shape. That Hab team had talent and heart!

• Timo says:

1976 Habs would destroy today’s Habs.

• Bill says:

It’s obviously true that just about any team now – if they travelled back in time MIB style – would beat any 70s team. When you watch those games, the players are slow, the goalies look helpless, and the D are total pylons.

The game has certainly changed. Gretzky said it the other night: players are, on average, much better now. Surprised some people don’t accept this.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Lizardking89 says:

You just lost all credibility on this site sir and won’t take anything you say seriously ever again. That Habs team was one of the greatest of all time, wtf are you smoking?

• HardHabits says:

Use your head and not your hear to think for this moment. Two different eras. The players today are much better than they were in the 70′s. Faster. Stronger. More skilled. On paper if you put the current Kings team against the ’76 Habs chances are the Kings would take it.

I am not saying the Habs were not the greatest team of that era. I watched pretty much every game. It’s not the point. The game was different back then. The athletes were nowhere near the same athletic shape as they are today.

At any rate. Why would you think I would be concerned with how serious you take my comments? You obviously can’t read very well, have a limited vocabulary or are not clear on the concept of logical and critical thinking.

55. L Elle says:

My head is telling me ugg, Therrien, but I have a good feeling about the hire. Darryl Sutter received a lukewarm, OK cold reception, and look where he is now.

I’ll wait until this time next year before committing hari kari. ;)

56. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’ve never liked Therrien – he comes off as a thug with a vague Jabba the Hut lite look to him. But maybe a thug will be useful, and maybe he is capable of learning. I didn’t like his coaching first time around, but this time, the jury is out. He’ll do well, or he’ll get fired.

He’s the least of our fan issues now – the draft and the coming roster changes are much more interesting to consider.

As for the comments about his response to the media, and his getting angry at Marinaro – get serious. It’s hard to listen to Marinaro for more than 37.3 seconds without feeling frustrated. Getting mad at Tony is a promising sign of intelligence, if indeed he even got mad at the man.

Anyway, remember the great strategist Jean Perron? If there’s a good team on the ice, it’ll make things happen. Coaches, like bosses, come and go.

57. WestHab says:

I think it was Therrien who gave Jose Theodore his big chance over Jeff Hackett. Watch out Carey.

58. 69HABS says:

Carbo

42 34 6
    47 25 10
    35 24 7
    230 Games – 124 83 23

Therrien

23 27 6
    36 31 3
    18 19 5
    190 Games 77 77 14

AND Carbo was not a better choice? OK …..

59. HabFanSince72 says:

1976 Habs, for Pete’s sake.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

60. punkster says:

It was always going to be a Quebecois coach. If you doubt that then you haven’t been reading, listening and watching. That’s the way it is. Some facts simply have to be accepted otherwise you wander through life in a perpetual haze of coulda, woulda, shoulda…and no good can come of that.

He’s the coach and will be until such time as he gets blamed for screwing up then the whole process starts over again. And it will happen. Always does in Montreal.

The up side; he’s experienced, tough, aggressive and vocal, traits many wanted to see in a coach.

He’s getting a dysfunctional “team” consisting of a core of talented youngsters with a mix of vets, some good and some not so good. The passive approach didn’t work with this bunch so maybe “a change would do you good.”

I’m for giving him a fair shake. Let’s see how the first few months of the season go.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

61. FanCritic says:

No pressure on Therrien all on MB to put a team on the ice that’s coachable. give Therrien the right players and we’ll be going to the playoffs 2013

He’s better than a lot of fans think…

• boonie says:

His junior and AHL track records were outstanding and were the basis of his ascention to the big leagues. His big league record has been mediocre.

In many professions, people are promoted based on their achievements. They typical stall at a point above their theoretical peak (the Peter Principle).

Therrien Peter’ed out here and elsewhere at the NHL level.

Was there really a reason (other then our own requirement to arbitrary limit our selection to the number of french-speaking candidates) to retry a person who hasn’t excelled at this level?

62. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

to all of you Therrien lovers out there (all 7 of you), ask yourself this:
    What is the difference between Therrien and Jacques Martin?

Absolutely nothing

• habsfan0 says:

Jacques Martin scribbles constantly behind bench. Therrien doesn’t do that.

• Caper says:

Not a Therrien lover however…. Check out Youtube. Jackie Martin coddled Gomez. Therrien will scare the living sh-t out of him. I respect JM as he did a decent job with what he had. I don’t know if Therrien is a better coach, but one thing is for sure, he is going to make the players accountable-all of them. Someone has to be the sacificial lamb and Therrien is that guy. Based on his past, I expect the habs to overachieve next year and make the playoffs.Thereafter it is likely to get ugly however maybe he is a changed man.

• HardHabits says:

The same difference between your comment and a cow pie in the middle of a field.

• hoffska says:

Jacques Martin never smiles or changes his face in anyway. A true undertaker never does.

• commandant says:

Martin is better

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Marc10 says:

No that I’m his greatest fan. I just think he’s a much better coach than he gets credit for.

As to how he stacks up to JM.

The similarity is that he’s defence first. He is a defensive coach. But that’s pretty much where it ends.

He’s tougher and he likes his teams to play that way.

I think his ideal team would probably be the Grandy Junior Team he took to the Memorial Cup. They had it all. Skill, brawn… They were the Anaheim Ducks (Stanley Cup Version) of Junior hockey. A loaded team with some mean…

He’s a communicator. He talks to players one on one. He’s extremely demanding. If you don’t keep your shifts short and go all out, you’ll hear about it and pay the price. The contrast with JM on that front is night and day.

JM tends to leave players indifferent. Therrien doesn’t (and I’d wager he’s despised by those who didn’t perform under him… See Terry Ryan and the other guys on Twitter who don’t rate him). Crosby rates him – and that should tell you something too – Sid being probably the hardest working and most dedicated player in the League (or right up there…)

For better or for worse, he’s our coach. Hopefully he keeps the good and has made adjustments on the things he needed to improve.

63. Bim says:

Bim

June 5th, 2012 at 8:39 pm

On the subject of pursuing Jordan Staal…You can still keep your #3 pick and get Staal. I would trade Markov. I think he’s done.You could even throw in a Diaz or Campolli to sweeten the deal. Markov to me looked away too tenative in just everything he did at the end of last season. He almost looked as though he was playing not to get hurt. He added very little to benefit the team. Lots of option s here. You certainly couldn’t do any worse than giving away McDonough for Gomez. That was an epic disaster!!!

• commandant says:

Why are the Pens trading Staal for Markov?

What does this achieve for them?

They don’t save any money, get older, get a guy you say, “I think he’s done”

and No…. Diaz or Campoli (an UFA) doesn’t sweeten the deal.

The pens have lots of defencemen, that is why Despres couldn’t even crack their lineup.

EA Sports would reject this trade.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• HabFab says:

And I thought this was a FANtasy hockey site :)

• db says:

EA would take it if you throw in that 7th rounder… and get 90 points with Markov in a season. Ya just gotta pull off the trade before the UFA season, cuz that’s when the player potential kicks in… just like in real life. Our team, having so much potential mixed with veterans will be about an 83 next year.

64. frontenac1 says:

Wow! And Yikes! Changing the subject; Naming of assistant coaches ,June 22 draft and Free agency coming up……….Ideas anyone?

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Robinson, and some other dude for assistants.

DRAFT GALCHENYUK BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY

Sign David Jones, Taylor Pyatt, Bryan Allen, Sheldon Brookbank, and try to swap pleks and a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Jordan Staal. (the key word is TRY)

Also, see if one of Gallagher, Tinordi, or Ellis can make the team this year out of camp. If not, then fine. If so, then great!

65. Mark C says:

First off, Therrien was probably last on my list, but the amount of whining, crying, hand wringing, and proclamations of impending doom is absolutely hilarious.

Head coaches impact is so overrated rated by fans. This league is filled with coaches who everyone thinks are great but haven’t won anything (Ruff, Trotz). The league is also filled with coaches who have been fired multiple times yet have won a Cup. Sutter’s playoff record has been highly disappointing outside of one Cup final until this year. The difference between Julien being a Cup winner and being fired for the third time was mere inches last year. While Therrien is a disappointing selection to most, can’t we at least give him a chance to fail?

66. aj says:

Just by watching the press conference and how Michel Therrien talks with the media (in particular w/ the english media) as well with the negative assessments of some analysts as TSN, I’m beginning to feel that this guy will become “the clone of Jacques Martin” everyone is NOT expecting to see.

Looking at how he reacted to Brian Wilde of CTV Sports Montreal regarding to the comments he made during a postgame press con against the Pittsburgh Penguins, Boy, you could see his face become so adamant by just answering his question.

EDIT: You could also see he got ticked with Tony Marinaro as well this afternoon during the Q&A. Honestly, I kinda liked it when the English Media does their way of pushing Therrien’s buttons to piss-off mode!

67. remi_10069 says:

Kings could go 16-2….who has the best record ever? Sorry if this has been asked before…I’m stoned.

pipes

68. homerbowen says:

While Michel Therrien was not on my list for coach I can only hope and wish he has at least 15 succesful years including 10 Stanley Cups. In addition, while I can’t stand the RDS “Boys Club” I would still enjoy seeing them ecstatic with those 10 cup wins. Go Habs Go.

69. HabFab says:

I see the PR pitch going on with Therrien’s signing is that he is a decade wiser and more experienced. Frigging well hope so!

70. Propwash says:

Has anybody seen this at last nights game??

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

71. Hali_Hab says:

WOW! said with such grace.. these could only be the sentiments of an educated man.

you sound like and ass.. Relax its hockey.

• Hali_Hab says:

they deleted it .. nice one! :)

• Hali_Hab says:

Therrien’s first full season w/ #Habs, 17-point improvement (Theo Hart and Vezina). First w/ #Pens, + 47 points (Crosby Hart, Malkin Calder)

From Arpon Basu’s Twitter.

Say what you will there is good with the bad.

• govenah says:

I have to say I forgot who this guy was. Then I remember him blaming his team. HE reminds me of slightly younger Jacques Martin. Mark my words friends. 1. We need a new captain who is a serious leader by example and not an aging smurf. 2. We need a smarter coach who is fresh and an execution specialist and the search should not be limited to those who speak french 3. We need a blue line that other teams are afraid of which mean, Tinordi plus one other major tough shut down guy who is ready to challenge for the cup in 2014 and beyond. The rest can come from more minor trades. But Therrien is yesterdays man.

• LizardKing12 says:

Gionta is a captain that leads by example. Aging smurf is a bit harsh considering his first 2 seasons with the Habs he scored 28 and 29 goals to lead the team. I don’t really see any reason to throw Gionta under the bus. On top of that the C on the jersey is much more symbolic than anything else. There is a leadership group in every locker room it is never just the captain. Guys like Gorges and Cole are leaders regardless of whether or not they wear the C.

72. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I cannot wait until the next HIO poll question:
    “do you think the Canadiens mada a good choice hiring Michel Therrien??

the results will speak for themselves

73. frontenac1 says:

Well said ,Mattyleg! Cheers and Hola!