Canadiens name Therrien coach

therrien

Michel Therrien
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images Sport

The  Canadiens have announced Michel Therrien as their new head coach. Team announcement here.

AUDIO of News conference: Marc Bergevin | Michel Therrien and Q&A

Therrien had a 77-77-23-13 record with the Habs his first go-around behind the bench, between November 2000 and a little more than midway through the 2002-03 season, when he was replaced by Claude Julien. Therrien was 6-6 in the playoffs as Canadiens coach.

Everything suggested the Habs coaching race was a two-man sprint to the finish between Therrien and Marc Crawford, with Patrick Roy having slipped off GM Marc Bergevin’s radar the past few days. Sports Illustrated’s Mike Farber says on Twitter this morning that Crawford was informed Monday night that he was out of the running.

In a classy gesture Tuesday morning, Crawford tweeted in French and English that he appreciated being part of the coach-selection process, and wished good luck to Marc, Michel and “Les Glorieux.”

Below: Michel Therrien in his first stint as Canadiens coach, as he appeared in the team’s 2001-02 media guide.

2,006 Comments

1. kholdstare says:

Is it just me or doesnt this guy sound like he has a mouth full of cotton, and just finished smoking pack of smokes.

• boing007 says:

That’s because he’s also auditioning for the next Godfather sequel.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

2. 69HABS says:

Very dark day in Montreal …

MB dropped the ball here!

3. Bozo McBozo says:

You think this has yer panties in a knot? Just wait until the off season when the Habs sign Stanley Cup champion Justin Williams! Oh, the irony of it all!!!

4. Mattyleg says:

My gosh, it’s been very entertaining reading all this today!
    Great work from everyone, from the supporters to the wrist-slitters.

I even managed a wry grin at the anti-Francos and their self-righteous hyperbole…

Therry the Terror is back, kids, and I think that it’ll be a fresh wind that blows through the Bell Centre. People were unhappy at the tight-lipped, measured approach of JM… they’re getting what they wished for with Mickey T!

Enjoy the season, and the lead-up to it, kids!
    I know it’s going to be hard for some of you, and some of you will express your enjoyment through endless moaning and complaining (some are never truly happy unless they’re unhappy!), but it’s going to be a good one!

Mark my words.

-edit- First on this page again! How do I manage to do it…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. boing007 says:

There have been three French speaking Canadiens coaches who have won the Stanley Cup since 1927. Interesting stat, that.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Steven says:

That’s a very interesting statistic. But how many Cups does that come out to? I figure Bowman is one of them(if I’m not totally lost) and he won a few if memory serves.

• Mattyleg says:

Not surprising.
      The Anglos were the ‘ruling’ class for many years in Montreal.
      And they worked hard to keep that position.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

This is not quite correct.

All but 2 of Quebec’s 29 premiers were Francophone.

Mayors of Montreal alternated between French and English speakers until the early 20th century since when they’ve all been Francophone.

So the Anglos never did control political power in this province.

It’s a bit of a myth to claim they did.

And it’s equally insulting to the French to suggest that they were “ruled”. French Quebec had its upper class just like the Anglos did, and it was well connected to political power.

Also, there was an Anglo working class.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HardHabits says:

The ruling class is business. The political class lies directly below it.

• ZepFan2 says:

If memory serves me correctly. Weren’t the majority of factories and warehouses American owned, who in turn hired Anglo bosses?

Also, like Boing pointed out. The Catholic church had the last say on many things.

One more thing. The Irish and the Scottish helped build Montreal. Where’s our recognition?

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• boing007 says:

And a lot of that political power was tied to the Catholic Church.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

scotty bowman
      bob hartley
      marc crawford
      jacquess Demers and Lemaire…

there must be some more

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

6. habsfan0 says:

A question I would like to have seen posed of Marc Bergevin at today’s press conference: “Was Michel Therrien your first choice to coach the Habs?”

7. WestHab says:

This was my last choice. But certainly I must be wrong. It’s happened before. Please someone tell me something positive.

We are going to be alright, me thinks!

Who will make this team? they will be tougher and bigger for sure.

9. Boomer says:

can’t say I’m excited about this but I guess we’ll see how this goes…

10. ZepFan2 says:

In honour of Her Majesty

———————————————————————-
    “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

11. gmur says:

As a commentator, both for insight and delivery, I thought RDS had their own version of John Madden in Therrien.

12. smiler2729 says:

F*ck me…

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Ian Cobb says:

No thank you! clean it up first!

• smiler2729 says:

See Ben Stiller character in final scene of “The Heartbreak Kid”…

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

13. FanCritic says:

It might not be all that bad for Therrien – he’s getting a pretty good 1st line (Cole, Desharnais, Max-pac) his 2nd line needs a good 45pt left winger to go with (Pleks, Gionta) his 3rd line should be ok with (Moen, Eller, Bourque) Really no 4th line that’s gonna put up any points. that will be his weakness also a couple of tough D_Men so if he gets help in those areas, maybe he’ll surprise us. lets hope so…. that’s the best I can come up with unless MB is gonna dismantle half of the team.

14. habitunts1 says:

Ok this time around if Therrien dosnt get his act together it’s time for the Fans to act and demand buying shares from (Molson) so proper decisions will be made
    The C H is turning into a joke.
    Oh with the lack of Production from the Devils offence against the Kings maybe New Jersey would take Gomez back for next season. Any possibilities?

• boing007 says:

It’s true, the Devils don’t really have a playmaker. Except Elias.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

15. habs-hampton says:

I believe (and have to believe) that Marc B. knows a LOT more about the candidates than any of us, and is not going to hire a friend who will jeopardize his own job. The only problem I have is that MT appears to be simply the last man standing after everyone else was eliminated.

And would you rather have another year of PG and JM?

16. Toe Blake says:

I think you guys should leave the coaching to the coach and spin yer wheels with line combos and d pairings!

17. Toe Blake says:

The guys in the great beyond and I just voted. I can’t tell you folks the results of our balloting, but the crew had a real “screw-it” demeanor about them that I think you all should adopt. No one would come right out and say it, but the body language was that coaching was a minor problem last year. As someone close to our hearts said, “you have a fair amount of talent and a decent work ethic and you’ll go to the finals in this league!” ‘nough said!!!

18. frontenac1 says:

Where’s Stormin when you need him?

19. Willy the bum says:

Wow, I can’t believe I remember the password to log on after a year in reclusion (I mean, too busy with life).

We’ll have to see how the Habs will play in the next season. Anything but being in last place – or even out of the playoff spot – is fine with me. I’m sure Therrien, with more NHL experience, will work out with the team that he first started out coaching. I could be wrong, but now’s not the time to place a lot of doubt.

Bad joke, but if Therrien doesn’t work out, there’s always Randy!

Onto the Kings-Devils playoffs: wow, talk about a waste of money on Kovy for the next 15 years!

20. ont fan says:

Heard on the radio Mike will probably hire Carbo for an ass. and he really dislikes Gomez

21. AliHaba says:

After watching the press conference, two things stood out for me. First was Therrien’s admission to his mistakes of the past and how he thinks he’s matured since then. Second was his improved English.
    I’ll admit that I wasn’t too happy about his hiring but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for a resurgence of my beloved Habs.

22. Un Canadien errant says:

FYI, Therrien is the 68th most common last name in Québec. It is derived/associated with Terrien, a name in France which denoted the owner of a piece of land or person who works it (le nom désignait au Moyen Âge le propriétaire ou l’exploitant d’un bien rural).

———————————
    In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

• HabFab says:

We believe you, honest!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I learned something too from doing a little research. I was spelling his name Thérrien, but it’s actually Therrien.

• VancouverHab says:

Okay, okay, you win. I’ll never make a playful derivation ever again. I promise. I will write “Thou shalt never deviate from full scholarly rigour to the minutest degree when posting on a Habs’ fan site” one thousand times on the blackboard.

PS: whilst you are at it, look up the derivation of “Chretien” and its English nominative equivalent….

• boing007 says:

Goody gumdrops.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

23. habstrinifan says:

I cant take this anymore right now. Gotta take a break. I hope this is better than it seems.

24. Mavid says:

you would think if we were going to pick a previously enjoyed coach it would have been Carbo…that would have been my choice…and he is better looking to boot..

25. HabFanSince72 says:

OK I can’t do it.

Therrien is horrible. He will antagonize the players.

Bergevin panicked. He is afraid of the RDS crew so he picked their candidate.

We’re in for another bad season. Poor results. Melodrama.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

26. HabsFansince49 says:

I’m listening and watching to the Therrien interview. C’mon, he did well. Quite honest, quite insightful.
    Best of luck Michel!

27. Bozo McBozo says:

Hey, after last season, it looks like up to me!

28. habstrinifan says:

He’s already basically calling out his players re commitment.

29. habstrinifan says:

Listening to Micchel Therrien on TSN990 now.

I hate how I feel right now. I am trying so hard to like this. And his answers arent helping.

Is it ok to say DAMN on HIO. I wish I could say something better with more honesty.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve posted before on how Michel Thérrien is not an elegant speaker, in both English and French. His voice and syntax and style all leave a lot to be desired. He probably has a lot of other skills that you discover when you hang out with him in situations other than a press conference or a television studio. Guys like Jacques Demers and Bum Phillips weren’t necessarily impressive in how they expressed themselves, but they got their team to respond to their methods. Let’s hope Marc Bergevin and his team are right in deciding that they liked their new coach the best out of all the other interviewees.

• habstrinifan says:

It’s not his lack of elegance.. it’s his lack of imagination and specific passion for this specific team that comes across as sad. If it is on their site listen to the short interview. How could HE have interviewed outstandingly superior in is candidacy for THIS TEAM!

• Un Canadien errant says:

In the post I linked to, I compare him to Jean Chrétien. He may not come across well on camera, but in private he must have convinced Marc Bergevin that he had a good grasp of the issues facing the Canadiens and how to address them, that he would show good leadership and would be the right man for the job. Just as I thought Jean Chrétien would be a disaster as a PM and an embarrassment and who in the end turned out to be not so bad, the same may happen with Michel Therrien.

My only defence of his hiring is that I wasn’t part of the process, so I can’t declare that he’s not as good a candidate as the others. I have to trust that Marc Bergevin and his team made the right decision since they had access to all the info.

Not a fan of the choice, I would have like Patrick Roy by a long, long shot, then Marc Crawford, Guy Carbonneau and Michel Therrien, bunched together but in that order. Mr. Therrien was my least favourite choice, but I’ll give him the benefit of a few doubts.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bum Philips!
        Ha! When did I last spare a synaptic moment for that guy? I seem to recall that he was a pretty good and a pretty successful coach. Did he coincide with Earl Campbell?

All off topic, sorry. Your actual point is very well made. We are now SUCH a media-pervasive society that we nearly cannot compute when someone appears on a screen and is NOT a master of the sound-byte. We are so easily seduced into making judgements based on surface rather than content. Never mind religion — the media is the opiate of the masses.

So. That’s my attempt to divert from the current melancholia. How’d I do?

30. solomio says:

ok so I heard McGuire on the radio talking about the hockey style that MT used to employ, with the Penguins I guess, which he called ” passive resistance ”
    So at this point in time is there anybody out there can can tell us what type of playing style MT will bring to the team?

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

31. HabsFansince49 says:

I just listened to Marc Bergevin on Prime Time Sports. He makes a lot of sense, unlike his two predecessors. I have confidence that Bergevin followed due process and in the end believed that Therrien was the right person for the job. I have to admit I was surprised but I still have lots of faith in the new GM.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

49, what you say is the only way to go. MB is being paid big bucks to find the coach who will transform the Habs. I won’t start wailing and gnashing my teeth unless the season starts like last year’s!
      Cheers

32. martincurran55 says:

I guess the Francophones are dancing in the street. Too bad I can’t cheer for a team that hires the best coach, rather than the best French coach. Oh how I hope my childern will never cheer for this team. I am 32 years old and it is too late for me to cut my losses. Go Habs Go :(

• ed lopaz says:

the young, retired, “non” students will be out in full force tonight, dancing in the streets, banging their drums slowly, and celebrating their pure laine victory.

after all, the weather is great so what else do they have to do??

• HabFab says:

Read “retarded” the first time, must be Freudian on my part :)

• The Jackal says:

You got a bit of chip on your shoulder, Lopez.
        What is wrong with wanting a coach that speaks French? Most of Quebeckers speak only French, many of the teams fans speak only French. Is it wrong to want the head coach of the team to be able to communicate in that language? Not one bit.
        The Habs are more than a team in Quebec culture anyway, they are more of an institution than a sports team, hockey is engraved in that society and so is for better and for worse tied to the language issue.
        The coach will always speak English, but he should certainly be able to speak French too. Just because that does not sit well with you does not make it wrong. It’s a question of respecting Quebec identity and the special place the team has in that culture.
        Some people like to point to national teams hiring coaches that are not of their nationality, that is not the same situation. The reality is that language and identity in Quebec are inseparably tied, and instead of dismissing that as stupid we should try to understand why its important. I’m not going to go into Canadian politics 101, but its past the time we bridge the cultural disconnect and try to understand why French Canadians see hold language so dear. One reason is because it is the medium by which their culture is transmitted. The Habs are an important part of that culture, so its no surprise that there are expectations that the team reflect that identity and stay true to it.

• Hali_Hab says:

Well said my friend.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The problem is when people say they want a coach who is ethnically francophone. And this is what the likes of Bertrand Raymond and Mario Tremblay have been saying.

The “needs to communicate with the fans” argument is, for them at least, a red herring.

Nonetheless, whatever side of the argument one takes, it is undoubtedly the case that being a unilingual anglophone would only make the job harder. RIght or wrong, there is no debating that fact.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• boing007 says:

True, but on the other hand there have been three French Canadiens coaches who have won the Stanley Cup since 1927. Three out of twenty-one cups. A lot of catching up to do.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• ed lopaz says:

its LopAz

• The Jackal says:

Sigh… Jump ship then. It’s one thing to not understand the issue, its another to resent it.

• martincurran55 says:

I can’t jump ship. Don’t have it in me. Hopefully Therrien proves me wrong, but I am very upset he got the job. Of all the people mentioned who had interviews, I was most surprised when he had one. I thought they were just doing it to humor the Francos, however, today I am blown away. I will cheer for the bleu, blanc et rouge until the day I die, but I think this is a sad day for Habs fans.

• The Jackal says:

I think we should reserve judgement until the puck drops. I just don’t think Habs fans should resent the language issue, it is clearly important and sure it may be hard to understand why, but we should at least accept that that’s the reality. It’s a myth that it hinders the team’s competitiveness. There are many candidates that fit the criteria of competent and bilingual. As much as the French media likes to blow up the issue, the English media likes to ridicule it. We should instead opt to understand it rather than be polarized by it.

33. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I wish we hired Crawford, this team is much better suited to his style.

34. twilighthours says:

About the only positive I can see about MT being hired is that there will be more emotion behind the habs’ bench. And this sometimes is a bad thing.

35. Bim says:

Now that the Habs have their coach its time to get the sleeves rolled and get some badly needed players. How about Jordan Staal.
    Pens are looking for D men and Habs have plenty. Go get him Bergy! He is right up your alley and has size and experience. Do not let this go by. Great way to get out of the gate and gain back the fan base.

• Chris says:

The Penguins can’t possibly be looking for D-men unless their own are going the other way.

The Penguins have Paul Martin (3 more years), Zbynek Michalek (3 more years), Brooks Orpik (2 more years), Kris Letang (2 more years), Deryk Engelland (2 more years) and Ben Lovejoy (1 year) signed for this coming season. Matt Niskanen is a restricted free agent, and they have the VERY highly regarded Simon Depres in the system waiting to make the jump to the Penguins.

The defencemen that Montreal could send to Pittsburgh that would upgrade their blueline (Subban, Markov, Gorges) aren’t going anywhere, and I can’t see the Habs dealing Tinordi or Beaulieu at this point.

• commandant says:

If his name was Jordan Smith, no one would care.

He’s a decent 2nd line centre, nothing more… and we have enough of those already.

We need true top line talent.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• ed lopaz says:

25 goals and 25 assists in only 62 games

pro-rate that over an 82 game schedule and what are his numbers?

An excellent 2 way center who can play power play, Pk, and 5 on 5 against any center in the league.

oh ya, did I mention that he’s still 23 years and he’s already played in 6 nhl seasons.

are you freakin kidding me?

if we got Jordan Staal three years ago when I was fighting to get him against guys like Serious Fan and Berkshire who also thought he was overrated, we would NOT be looking for a #1 center today.

He would be our #1 center..

Staal is regarded by most (if not all) hockey experts as a superb young talent.

Its only here at HIO for some reason that his talents always go unnoticed.

He plays great defence, he has a fantastic work ethic, he would be a great leader and captain material if he is ever traded away from a non Crosby team.

• HabFab says:

I would rather keep our #3 pick.

• ed lopaz says:

Ya, me too. But Staal is a great player.

• Bim says:

On the subject of pursuing Jordan Staal…You can still keep your #3 pick and get Staal. I would trade Markov. I think he’s done.You could even throw in a Diaz or Campolli to sweeten the deal. Markov to me looked away too tenative in just everything he did at the end of last season. He almost looked as though he was playing not to get hurt. He added very little to benefit the team. Lots of option s here. You certainly couldn’t do any worse than giving away McDonough for Gomez. That was an epic disaster!!!

36. twilighthours says:

Man, I might have to bring out my tank avatar before the season even starts

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Let’s re-visit the Therrien – Bylsma transition.

Yes, Bylsma took the team to the cup finals. But Therrien had done that too a year earlier. The difference is Therrien took over a team that was in the doldrums.

After that first year I would argue that Bylsma has been atrocious. This year, the Pens playoff performance was nothing short of disgraceful. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a talented team lose their cool as explosively as this.

Bylsma was also completely outcoached by Martin two years ago, and failed at the first hurdle last year as well.

So maybe Bylsma benefited from Therrien’s ground work to win that cup three years ago, and for the past three seasons he’s been unable to keep his team focused in the playoffs.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• twilighthours says:

You neglected to mention how bylsma kept an injury-riddled, mediocre penguin team near the top of the NHL standings while 3 of the best players in the league were out.

I’ll agree on the implosion this year in the playoffs. Although if they get decent goaltending from fleury then there is no implosion.

I won’t agree that Martin out coached him.

I’d take bylsma over therrien every time

• ed lopaz says:

implosion in the playoffs might have had something to do with a goalie who played like a sieve.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I should have been clearer. My point was not to bash Bylsma, but to suggest that this Pens team are not the easiest to coach. Therrien took them to the finals then lost them. Bylsma took them to the cup during his honeymoon period, but he has since had difficulty getting them to play to potential, with everyone healthy, in the playoffs.

This year was an absolute joke – irrespective of Fleury. they completely lost it.

Point being that maybe the players are the problem.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

I still don’t like Therrien, but another huge part of it was Gonchar being absent from Therrien’s team and present after Bylsma took over.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

38. ed lopaz says:

the previous Poll Question was hilarious and I wish I would have saved the results.

I believe that Therrien finished with around 3% of the vote vs the other coaching candidates.

Crawford was up at around 25%, Carbo as well.

3%!!!!!

And if the Poll was done on RDS, what % would have voted for Therrien, I wonder??

I don’t accept Therrien’s English.

There is a huge difference between a Pure Anglo and a guy who speaks English with difficulty.

Thanks for that one Bertrand, I love the way that rrrrolls off my Anglo tongue!

And, I saw Therrien at the batting cage in Laval last summer.

He was fooling around with a few friends at the softball, fast pitch machine.

I think he’s a better coach than he is a softball hitter!

He started yelling and screaming at the guy in charge of collecting the money at the front desk!!

He called the poor boy “Soft” about a dozen times, and then crashed and banged his way out the door, throwing bats and balls left and right!!

Seriously, I am excited about the draft and about next season.

I am hopeful, and I am ready to support any coach and any GM at this point.

I suffered (and battled) for 3 years to help send Gauthier and Martin to their retirement homes in Del Boca Vista, and I am not going to complain about their replacements.

I have no negative energy left.

It was all expended on Gauthier and Martin who were the first (and I hope only) GM and coach that I truly despised.

Go Habs Go!!

Before I go I just like to say, “HA!”

40. NoTinFoilCups says:

Therrien..
    Say it ain’t so Geoff.

• boonie says:

Geoff is a pathetic owner. First he holds onto Gauthier long enough for us to absorb Kaberle and Bourque. Then he hands the reigns to Mr. Cool Glasses Pranster to bring back

New GMs usually get one mulligan. That’s 18-24 months of Therrien, then an “oops. i realized the folly of that move” and a new coach who gets 12-18 months, before the flames begin to scorch Bergevin who (at the point) will be nearing the end of his contract.

Hot seat. Move to replace him. Replace him. Marc enjoys a long run as a commentator since he’s been to the pinnacle of the professional and is exposed as a latest victim of the Peter Principle.

When do we get rid of this generation of Molsons? Hopefully, it’s not as long as the Cowboys have been suffering the egotistical incompetance of Mr. Jerry Jones…..

41. boonie says:

What does Marc Bergevin have in common with Romeo Crennel, Al Groh, Josh McDaniels, Eric Mangini, Nick Saban, Jim Schwartz, Charlie Weiss, and Rob Ryan?

Being the second banana to a genius winner doesn’t mean you have any skills. The Belichick disciples hired by other organizations have been failures. Good ole Bill, replaced them and kept winning.

Team after team hired his guys and lost. We hired Tallon’s and Bowman’s double-promoted in the wake of attrition guy. His first month on the job doesn’t suggest he’s any better than Belichick’s list of defective failures.

But here’s hoping.

42. frontenac1 says:

Oh boy,”A word to the wise is infuriating” Hunter S.Thompson. Asta Manana Amigos!

43. munch17 says:

I have not been a big MT supporter but I find the reactions a little over the top.
    He was hired more than a decade ago and is not the same coach. There were people supporting Vigneault , Carbonneau who were fired. Julien was fired and led Bruins to cup.
    I think Bergevin made a bold move knowing he was going to get skewered.
    So big breath everyone and let’s see how he does. I g am sure we will not have the same soft team we have had for the last few years.

• boonie says:

I’m not advocating either Vigs (who was not available) or Carbo, but come on — night and day.

Vigs has been to a Cup and has a significant winning regular season record. Carbo coached HERE for a year and half, and finished first overall in the regular season in his only full season. Julien was nearly fired until the Bruins came from the middle of the pack to win the Cup.

Therrien has .500 (sub par) here. Marginally better on a stacked Pitt team, before Bylsma showed them how to win. Why WHY WHY!!?!?! we would they want this retread back.

And, please, don’t tell me he was the best French-speaking coach available. If that’s the case, then you have to drop the language consideration or hire boucher before he left (kick JM upstairs at the time) or hire hartley before the Flames did.

• Habsolutely says:

It’s kinda refreshing to see there is someone here who gets it.

• chilli says:

Twit and Boonie: Therrien was fired on a 2003 team that had a record of 18-19 under him. Julien was 12-16. The team’s leading scorers Koivu, Zednik, Perrault, Bulis and Markov’s 13 goals had him in the top 5. The rest of the team filled-out nicely with Dackell, Audette, Petrov, Randy McKay, Kilger, Patrick Traverse, and Joe Juneau.

Quit bringing up his record. The Habs teams were AWFUL back then.

Give peace a chance.

Tre

• Dust says:

Carbo was so awesome. HE never talked to players and he constantly shuffled lines and he played gorges as a forward. No other team in the league wanted carbo. Unlike therrien who pitts wanted. If we had to retread. i’ll take therrien over Carbo. At least therrien will give players shit for playing like crap.

• commandant says:

Carbo’s two jobs since leaving Montreal are both EPIC disasters. Not just a little bit bad, but EPICALLY BAD. Nearly being relegated when you coach Team Canada? Come on

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Chris says:

I wouldn’t put too much stock on his performance with Canada’s U18 World Championship team. Hockey Canada doesn’t seem to give a whole lot of effort to that particular tournament. Canada only has 2 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze medals from the last 11 tournaments.

Contrast that to the U20 World Championships (the World Juniors) where we have 5 gold, 5 silver and 1 bronze medal from the last 11 tournaments.

The U18 championships that year were played from April 13-23, which means that most of the CHL clubs are in the midst of the second round of the playoffs. So unlike his U20 counterparts, Carbonneau did not have the benefit of having the top Canadian players released by their clubs for the world championships, meaning that the roster is significantly weakened due to pull-outs and players not wanting to hurt their chances in the draft by getting injured.

As for Chicoutimi, I wouldn’t necessarily label that a disaster either. The Sagueneens that season were quite young, which is usually a recipe for a losing season in the CHL (this year’s London Knights, excepted).

• boonie says:

that “big breath” has been going on for nearly 20 years, with a third round exit to show for it. The status quo for 12 years ago, doesn’t suggest you’re going to be exhaling any time soon.

Oh know. Instead of a bold move expected to draw flak from most reasonable people, wouldn’t Bergevin have been better off just making a GOOD DECISION?

44. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

We should boycott all Habs games until The Nothing is fired

• Un Canadien errant says:

Michel Thérrien’s name ‘translated’ does not yield The Nothing.

• VancouverHab says:

See reply below for my rebuke, thou poker-faced UCE thou.

Done.

I expect more from you, oh VancouverHab, things like logic presented in latin, not that stuff.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I am sorry, Some other guy posted that, I am just repeating what he said, you can see it, but you’ll have to sort through 1,000,000 other comments

• Un Canadien errant says:

Cool, just letting you know that the ‘translation’ was not accurate or even factual. It’s kind of a childish taunt too, I think we should focus on the issues instead of attacking people personally.

• VancouverHab says:

Bottom line, “The Nothing” it is a legitmate playful derivation. Looking for linguistic propriety in jocular applications is being a sourpuss.

I like the “Gomophobia” invention too ….

• Un Canadien errant says:

Gomophobia is clever. It reminds me of the long defunct snowboard-wear company Chromophobia also, almost brings a tear to my eyes.

45. habstrinifan says:

I am going to keep tabs on the rumour that Timmins plans to leave after the draft.

If that turns out to be correct then I am gonna be very worried that we released an ‘old boys’ club’ for another.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trinifan, I’ve been worried about Trevor Timmins leaving well before Marc Bergevin was appointed GM. It’s the natural order of things, the Circle of Life of the NHL, where a young driven talented guy gets poached by another organization for a promotion. If anything though, the more collegiate atmosphere in the Bergevin era, one whereby he empowers his team members and allows them to flourish rather than micro-managing them possibly means that we have a better chance to retain Mr. Timmins.

If anything, the Trevor Timmins we have seen lately, at ease in front of the cameras and knowledgeable on the issues may mean that he feels comfortable in his role and may be less tempted to seek sunnier climes. The vow by Marc Bergevin that he will beef up the scouting staff means more responsibility for him, and more resources. The fact that he had the title of player development taken away can be seen in two ways, either a positive in that it allows him to focus on one task that he loves and enables him to do it well, or possibly it is seen negatively by him since it takes away a responsibility which he enjoyed. Certainly the opportunity to speak about the coming draft and the prospects in the Canadiens’ system to the media is a responsibility he enjoys and is well-suited for.

If I was Marc Bergevin, after the dust died down after the draft, I’d have a conversation with Trevor Timmins about his career path within the organization, what development steps he can take, and how to improve his chances when the next big opportunity comes along. If he is offered a clear picture of what his future holds, he will be less tempted to mail out resumes and send out feelers. If he is headhunted, so be it, we shake his hand and wish him luck, and maybe down the road if need be and the circumstances are right we can repatriate him.

46. boonie says:

Let’s see…

Tallon does the heavy lifting to fix the Blackhawks. Dale gets turfed in Shakespearean style palace coup. Stan Bowman ascends to the top spot, everyone moves up a notch and wins the Cup with “advisory” help from his legendary dad, Scotty.

Chevaldyoff (sp?) moves on Winnipeg. Everyone moves one level up and Bergevin with almost no experience becomes Assistant GM to a Cup-winning GM.

We hire Marc. Because, well, he’s French, speaks the language ad libs like a pro comic and has cool glasses.

He echoes Burke’s move by hiring retread Dudley and follows Savard failed playbook hiring Therrien.

Yep, things are looking up now.

• Habsolutely says:

Sad but true. But watch out, the fanboys will soon start to attack you. They say we are not allowed to question management, and if we do we’re not “real” fans. This news has brought all the little bunnies out of their holes.

• Ali says:

lol they haven’t played a game yet! wait till he makes his first trade, his first draft pick. Therrien is coaching, but what team will he have? That will dictate results more than anything.

• The Jackal says:

Well, I gotta disagree with you. Bergevin was lauded until now, because he hired an unpopular choice as HC. The reaction is definitely not a surprise.
      It’s funny how many were saying how good MB was doing, and now he hires MT and BAM! HE SUCKS! OMG RETREAD! FIRE HIM! AHHH SAME OLD STORY!
      Ah to be a fan of a sports team. Is it really fun to be so cynical all the time? Why not have a bit of faith, why not buy into the idea that management knows what they are doing, that there is a longterm plan at work and maybe MT is a solution until we find someone else. Here’s a crazier idea, maybe MT has learned to be a better coach!
      I guess its easier to be negative, no expectations, no disappointment. Come on people, we’re Habs fans, the best team in history, have heart!

47. habsfan0 says:

Going off on a tangent…

Labatt’s is threatening to sue the Montreal Gazette because the Gazette posted a picture of accused killer Luka Rocco Magnotta holding a Labatt Blue.

I wonder how Geoff Molson feels about this.

• Habsolutely says:

REally? Got a link?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Interesting. I would have thought if something is factual and news, that the Gazette or any other organization couldn’t be sued for it.

———————————

It’s like a collective PMS moment at HIO. Over-react over Ovary-act?

49. frontenac1 says:

Well said Max! Give the bugger a chance!Hola!

50. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

SOOOOOOOO…………..

The question now is: When Therrien is fired mid-season (That’s right, “when”, not “If”), Who will take over as Head Coach????

51. HabFanSince72 says:

I was starting to think that Bergevin was out of his depth (but maybe no one can survive this loony bin), and that the Therrien choice was maybe due to a lack of confidence. It’s certainly a choice that will be popular on RDS.

But the absolute bonkers reaction of most of you compels me to defend the hiring of Michel Therrien.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

52. boonie says:

We waited a long time for changes and got…. THIS?!?!?!

53. HFX-HabFan says:

Awesome Twitter reactions from Hal Gill, and get this…Terry Ryan!

MB – “Michel is the winner at any level”… except the one where it counts the most. The good ol’ boys club lives on.

55. The Dude says:

Therrien with Cunny and his team is a better deal!

56. habsfan0 says:

I wonder what it was that eliminated Patrick Roy from further contention?

Was it his lack of experience at the pro level as a coach?
    Did he want too much control, which would unnerve a rookie GM?
    Did he threaten to do to Bergevin & Molson what his son did to another player on the ice if he wasn’t hired under HIS terms?
    Did he say that if Mario Tremblay was hired as his assistant, that would be the last day he would coach for the organization?
    Or, was he in fact offered the job,but at such a ridiculously low level of pay,that he simply feigned not hearing the offer,claiming he couldn’t hear what Molson was offering him because of the Stanley Cup rings blocking his ears..and simply walked out of the interview?

57. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Sheesh… for a second there I thought I heard someone yearning for the days of PG and JM again…

oh. wait. SHAME on those HEATHENS!

Not a MT fan, but like anyone else am gonna have to wait and see… one coach a good team does not make… the BIG question is which other coaches he’s going to surround himself with… does he make that call?

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

58. boing007 says:

Therrien had a 77-77-23-13 record with the Habs his first go-around behind the bench.

Not very impressive. Let’s hope he does better than that this time around.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The team was garbage his first time around….

He isn’t stepping behind the bench and inheriting a great team this time around either but it does have some better pieces and some good young prospects on the way.

59. Sir.Plekers says:

EMBARRISING DAY TO BE A HABS FAN!The general manager should have been Pierre Mcguire!Bergevin has no clue what hes doing!!!!Watch i bet he will probaley draft some tool like grigerenko
    SIR PLEKERS

60. CalgaryHab says:

I do not like this hiring but this is what happens when a coaching position has a prerequisite that shouldn’t be attached to the job. I’ll do my best to support MT but it will take a day or two to come to terms.
    I do know that he can’t be worse than JM so that’s positive. I remember when Gainey went all skill, speed and smurf on us and then hired JM who is/was the worst possible fit for them.
    This was a well anticipated day – and now it feels like a let down.

• habsnyc says:

It is amazing how consistently this organization can make decisions that the fan base immediately dislike.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Dust says:

Maybe the problem is the fanbase. Mind. Blown.

• habsnyc says:

No, finishing in last place because of poor coaching and personnel decisions is pretty much all management stupidity.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• habstrinifan says:

Was JM the fan base creation? Was PG the fan base creation? Was the fiasco re hiring Cunneyworth the fan base creation?

Maybe the problem is the decision making of the organization.

• Dust says:

All i;m saying is fans (not just habs fans) make opinions on moves before they even play out. They decide a move is good or bad without seeing results of such move. Not saying i don’t do it. Its the nature of the beast i think. I remember when people were saying the cole signing was horrible and a waste of money.

61. frontenac1 says:

Yeah, The game is faster and the kids are a lot bigger.I coached minor hockey for 7years in the Kingston area and loved every minute of it.Great bunch of kids!There is hope for the future amigos!

62. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Mark my words, Therrien will be gone before the leaves turn orange, and MB will be canned by Christmas day. This is easily THE WORST Coach/GM duo we have had since Rejean Houle/ Mario Tremblay.

I never thought in a million years that I would say this but I am suddenly yearning for PG and JM. Wow.

This move has set the Montreal Canadiens organization back at least a decade.

• Dust says:

You are right. Their record of 0-0 is disgraceful!

• habsfanforever7631 says:

What makes you think that?

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

name one coach less suited to this team then The Nothing (Therrien’s name literally translated en franceis)

• sane hockey fan says:

Some french teaching they got going on up there in eastern Ontario.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Apparently the professeurs angleis aren’t that great either. than again maybbe its the student.s

• Un Canadien errant says:

Michel Thérrien’s name translated literally, ahem, ‘en français’, does not yield The Nothing.

then/T͟Hen/
          Adverb:
          At that time; at the time in question: “I was living in Cairo then”; “by then I was exhausted”; “Adams, the then president”.
          After that; next; afterward: “she won the first and then the second game”.
          Synonyms:
          afterwards – next – after – at that time

than/T͟Han/
          Conjunction:
          Introducing the second element in a comparison: “he was smaller than his son”; “Jack knows more than I do”.
          Used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast: “he claims not to own anything other than his home”.

Back to class you go.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

sorry man, I got that translation from some other dude who comments here, i’ll get his domain name in a sec….

• Un Canadien errant says:

For your benefit, and in the interest of nipping this nonsense in the bud, here is a repost of my reply to VancouverHab lower down in the thread:

Nice try VancouverHab, but what you have come up with is The-rein, which translated into English means Tea-kidney, not ‘the nothing’. Your poetic licence doesn’t permit you to twist things quite that far. You misspelled the name, dropped an ‘r’, you omitted the accent aigu on the first e…

• Kooch7800 says:

It is all part of the master plan. Just drink the kool aid.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Sir.Plekers says:

Your right

SIR PLEKERS

• Max says:

Oh my the drama and doom and gloom on here. Maybe give Therrien a chance before firing him? Sheesh. He’s not my favourite choice for coach, but he deserves a chance.

• Un Canadien errant says:

So if I mark your words and you’re out to lunch, will you resign your membership here and stop posting on Christmas Day?

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

in the immortal words of Steven Tyler, DREAM ON!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

So what about all the absolutes and the capitalized words and the hyperbolic million years? Didn’t mean any of it? Just blowing smoke?

Man this is fun.

64. The Jackal says:

I wish we would have picked up Carbo. I am disappoint.
    (~o_o)~\_\ – I flipped a table in protest.

65. Bill says:

The new Canadiens should have met the following qualifications:

1) Better than average record as a professional (NHL/AHL) coach
    2) A creative coach with new ideas and an understanding of today’s game
    3) Someone with a track record of developing young talent
    4) Bilingual

Therrien meets only one of these criteria (barely).

Bill

Full Breezer 4 Life

• shiram says:

It’s rare to see you so negative Bill.

• Habsolutely says:

Quote from the TSN article:

“Cunneyworth was named interim coach after Jacques Martin was fired in December. The move provoked howls of protest among many fans in Quebec because he was the first non-French speaker to hold the job in four decades.

Team president Geoff Molson apologized to fans and promised the next head coach would be bilingual.”

It is quite clear that Molson’s priorities are appeasing the language police so they don’t boycott his crappy beer. If he truly cared about winning he would have said “I will hire the best coach available, regardless of the language he speaks.”

• ont fan says:

There was never going to be a winner here unless they hired Scotty Bowman. So let’s not go overboard on the Molson bashing.

• Habsolutely says:

Not bashing him. Just giving my opinion. It’s painfully obvious that Molson set the guidlines for the new hiring, and that the guidelines were “hire the best Franco”, not “hire the best coach available”. I see that this hurts some feelings here but thats not my fault. I’m a Quebecer and I am allowed to have my opinion on the situation.

• Habitall says:

Was 1982-83 really 4 decades ago? Seems to me Bob Berry wasn’t French!

Not a bad coach, either.

• mrhabby says:

your standards are way high..come on.

• New says:

I’d settle for measured without skates on and weighed without wallets in.

66. VancouverHab says:

Comparisons of Therrien to Pat Burns (upon whom be peace) are useful only to show how poorly Therrien compares. They are similar in speech-levels and physiognomy.

But they are opposite in relationship to players. Pat Burns was a players’ coach: he loved his players and is players loved him. Burns punished players only when they crossed the obvious line: Kordic being insubbodinate; the cretin Claude Lemieux for faking injury.

Therrien = The-rein = The nothing: I like it.

• VancouverHab says:

Oh come on! You’re being ‘errant’ again in the wrong way.

It’s like cod Latin we used as schoolboys (that was back in Britain) going back centuries: the Allahakbarries in Edwardian times, and U2’s Bono (Vox) more recently.

Obvious play is part of the joy of language: surely you don’t think that I was making a serious derivation?

“It’s unwise to munch whipped cream as if it were venison…”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m as unexcited about the announcement as anyone else, but to demean Michel Thérrien on his first day with a juvenile taunt that purports to be a translation but is completely off-base is not really kosher. I try to steer clear of personal attacks and insults, VancouverHab, and I think we owe Mr. Thérrien to critique his coaching style and the decisions he will make, but not to use the internet to bully him or rob him of his dignity.

And try as I might, I just can’t do pig latin, it still baffles me.

• VancouverHab says:

Woah: heavy. But, yes, the label was (self-evidently) juvenile, and I should be ashamed of my adult self.

But I didn’t like Therrien when he coached before, I don’t like him on the Anteroom, I was terrified when his name was mooted on a shortlist, and now that it’s a fait accompli I am livid, morose, sickened, despairing, and really really miserable.

So it has nothing to do with the first day, big guy.

(PS: Although here misapplied, I do heartily respect & applaud your admirable devotion to proper language use. I owe you a drink.)

• habstrinifan says:

His players loved him? Come on his players begged Savard to get rid of him.

67. AliHaba says:

68. frontenac1 says:

Yeah BJ its been a wonderfull ride for us old guys eh? I was born at the Royal Vic in 1954 and my first memories of the habs were the late 50″s on black and white. The Rocket is still my God! Always will be . Cheers!

• BJ says:

I loved the Rocket too. My first favorite was Gerry McNeil. My father wrote the Forum and I received a free photo of him. I enjoyed the Boomer and Dickie Moore, Doug Harvey etc. Great teams at the time. What amazes me is how much faster the game is today.

69. habsfanforever7631 says:

If any of you don’t want to be a Hab fan any more just because of Therrien, I feal sorry for you, cause your not a real fan.

• christophor says:

I *feel sorry for you *(no comma) *because *you’re not a real fan.

I don’t usually correct spelling and grammar mistakes (esp. because we all make them)… but four blatant errors in just one sub-clause of a sentence is pushing it. Plus, you’re telling people they’re not fans while doing so very sloppily. Hardly possible for me to overlook that. (I even overlooked the plural to singular shift)

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Cause=short for because.
        Comma=when I want the reader to take a breath, know set rule for that.
        I messed up with your and you’re. But they sound kinda the same.
        I think Feal Feel was my mistake.

• Chuck says:

‘Cause’ is not short for because. Look it up.
          And yes, there are proper usage rules for commas. You can look that up, too.

___________________________________________________

• Habsolutely says:

Something tells me there’s a lot he should be looking up. Like a high school diploma.

• sane hockey fan says:

get a lief brah…

70. dgaud096 says:

We are supposed to be supporting the team, not questioning every move the team makes. The habs are rebuilding from the top down. Therrien will be great for the job, because we finally have a coach that understands his role. He is a very emotional coach that won’t accept mediocre performance. If the team does end up retaining Scott Gomez, then this can be the perfect coach to get him going. Gomez is known for his puck carrying skills, something that the previous coaches have been ignoring. We can sit here and speculate all we want, but in the end it doesn’t matter. Whats done is done, start looking forward to what next season has in store.

• Habsolutely says:

“We are supposed to be supporting the team, not questioning every move the team makes.”

That’s leaf fan mentality, and it leads to 47 years without a championship. Questioning management keeps them honest and accountable. Unfortunately Molson only cares about appeasing the language police.

• Mattyleg says:

Hate to take you up on this, mate, but what we as fans do don’t matter a damn.
        We don’t keep management honest and accountable.
        We don’t ask them questions, we don’t have AGMs.
        What we do doesn’t lead to Cups.
        What we do is support, and those who choose to boo their own team when they go to games are rightfully ignored by the general populace, and by the management.

And it’s not the ‘language police’ that have anything to do with hiring. Please. Talk about making a complex issue overly simplified. You think there’s a better Anglo out there than Therrien?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsolutely says:

Sounds like the francophones held Molson accountable and kept him honest to their wants.

• Cal says:

I think there are better frenchspeaking coaches than a Ten Years Later Same Old Sh!t, Different Day kind of guy.

• habstrinifan says:

Disagree!!!!

• Dust says:

Living in the GTA I can say that leaf fans do question their management. constantly.

• Habsolutely says:

All I hear them do is talk about how great, and smart Burke is.

• Dust says:

All i hear is that Burke better do something(playoffs) or they should can his ass this year. Some even want him gone now. ALl i’ve heard for the last 10 years is how when the teachers pension plan owned the team they were only interested in profits and didn’t care about the product on the ice. Constant complaining. There really isn’t much separating leaf and habs fans. Complain when things are bad. Die hards when team is good

• chilli says:

This one really made me laugh. Do you really think the management of the Montreal Canadiens gives a damn what a bunch of anonymous posters on a blog/site have to say?
        Really?
        Trust me, the Montreal Canadiens brass want to win MORE than you do because their livelihoods are on the line as well as a lot of money. They also know a hell of a lot more than anyone on this site.
        dgaud096 is right. You either support the franchise or go cheer for someone else.

And using that ‘Leaf Fan mentality’ crap is part of a different era. Get with the times. The Habs ‘glory’ is part of the past. You need to support your team no matter what.

The Habs have been scrutinized for 20 years – the Kings have been ignored for 20 years. Guess who’s back first.
        Tre

• Habsolutely says:

I’m actually from Montreal. Don’t dare to presume to tell me how I should root, or when I should root for my home-town team. You presumptious twit.

• chilli says:

You can root anyway you want. I am simply pointing out that only a twit would actually believe that the Canadiens brass cares about what you have to say…. and that only a twit would use the “Leaf Fan mentality” argument in this day and age of hockey and the business itself.

Oh, and you really think that Molson only cares about the language police? Really? You don’t think he wants to win more than anyone?

Twit.

Tre

• ZepFan2 says:

You must be new here. Questioning every move is the norm here. :smile:

But I agree. I’ll put my faith (and cross my fingers and toes) in MB and hope he made the right choice.

———————————————————————-
      “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• habsnyc says:

he accepted mediocre performance last time he was coach. but management did not accept mediocre performance from him. in the interim, the only thing that has changed is the lowering of the qualifications necessary to coach this team.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

71. frontenac1 says:

Okey Dokey then,Mike is Coach. Done deal then! Now, who will be assistants? Cunney,Big Bird? Let’s move on guys and gals!

72. habfan53 says:

Does it seem strange that this is the second time Montreal has waited less than a week after Bob Hartley was hired to hire their own coach.
    In 2002 a week after Hartley signed on with Atlanta Montreal fired Therrien and hired Claude Julien.
    Now a week after Bob signs with Calgary Montreal brings back Therrien.
    Is this a conspiracy??

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

73. jols101 says: