Canadiens name Therrien coach

therrien

Michel Therrien
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images Sport

The  Canadiens have announced Michel Therrien as their new head coach. Team announcement here.

AUDIO of News conference: Marc Bergevin | Michel Therrien and Q&A

Therrien had a 77-77-23-13 record with the Habs his first go-around behind the bench, between November 2000 and a little more than midway through the 2002-03 season, when he was replaced by Claude Julien. Therrien was 6-6 in the playoffs as Canadiens coach.

Everything suggested the Habs coaching race was a two-man sprint to the finish between Therrien and Marc Crawford, with Patrick Roy having slipped off GM Marc Bergevin’s radar the past few days. Sports Illustrated’s Mike Farber says on Twitter this morning that Crawford was informed Monday night that he was out of the running.

In a classy gesture Tuesday morning, Crawford tweeted in French and English that he appreciated being part of the coach-selection process, and wished good luck to Marc, Michel and “Les Glorieux.”

Below: Michel Therrien in his first stint as Canadiens coach, as he appeared in the team’s 2001-02 media guide.

2,006 Comments

1. chicgoods123 says:

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

( http://www.chic-goods.us/ )

2. JohnBellyful says:

WOOHOO! 2,000-plus.
    Jimmy came through the operation with flying colours! His appendix’s out, his tonsils are out, and he’s got the right number of toes on each foot.
    Jimmy asked me if we could try for 3,000.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sucka’z on his own.

———————————
      In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

3. GrimJim says:

2001 posts, I can now move on to current stuff

4. punkster says:

WooHoooooooo!!!

Little Jimmy is saved!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

5. Un Canadien errant says:

———————————

6. habstrinifan says:

10 more posts needed. Surely someone has not yet spoken!

7. The Dude says:

How bout those Expo’s….puffing on the time-warp.

8. habstrinifan says:

Just so that I can add to the posts count and also change my mood re Therrien.

Here’s Carl Bard’s great quote re second chances.

‘Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Good Luck Monsieur Therrien… if you indeed have learnt from the past.

9. Un Canadien errant says:

1984, the year that George Cromwell predicted the earth would end. Or something like that. They said it on Fox News.

———————————

• JohnBellyful says:

George Orwell. Big Brother. Ministry of Truth. “War is Peace.” His timeline is a tad off but there’s still a lot of truth in the vision he crafted.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Orwell, cromwell, same thing i dont’ come on herefor grammer.

———————————

10. habstrinifan says:

Dear Little Jimmy,

NOTE:
    This post is retracted if indeed you are ‘real’ and not a figment of Hardhabits imagination.

Who the F cares if you died before you reached the age of reason Little Jimmy. Not me! In fact, today, I dont give a rat’s arse re any single misfortune in this world other than the bleeding of the HABS tattoo indelibly etched in my life.

So Little Jimmy go to the Effing light if you can see it. Good riddance! One lesss spoilt brat that makes me late for work as I have to wait for you ‘oh so precious cargo’ to cross a street to school, where all you learn is to grow up and protest something.

It sickens me that people have bought into the ruse that children are our precious future so much so that we put adults in stupid yellow vests to risk their lives and get the middle finger from other adults, .. so that brats like you Little Jimmy can cross the street.

And didnt your Mom and Dad ever hear about protection. I am sure you were conceived with the same lack of vision as some of the foulest deeds recently perpetrated on the tirelessly suffering souls of this melancholy vacinage which is HIO nation. I bet if you had grown up Kaberle and Gmez would have been your life models for performance.

Luckily we wont be subjected to the affectation of cute from your 5 yr old visage ‘shyly’ begging for MORE. More! More! More!

I had to give up drinking and driving because the kids needed to be MORE safe. I have to put out at least 5 sets of ‘garbage’ because the kids needed a MORE environmentally friendly future. I have to smoke outside because the kids needed MORE clean air to breathe. More! More! More!

So sorry Little Jimmy. Move on! Good luck on the other side. But I have other things I am grieving about right now than YOU checking out before your time.

RIP in Little Jimmy!

11. JohnBellyful says:

This just in: Jimmy’s tonsils are out. Along with his appendix. They’re working on his toes as we speak.
    Speaking of feet, how much foot-dragging do you think there will be before Therrien names his assistant coaches?

I dedicate this 1,976 post to the beautiful stadium still in Montreal from that year….

• GrimJim says:

And post 1977 for the year people realized it would never achieve the architect’s grandeous vision

• Un Canadien errant says:

The other day I got a brace of weird looks from colleagues when they were explaining that a property had a sort of elevator, except not really, it kind of went from the driveway up a really steep slope to the house.

“Those are known as funiculars”, I offered, as everyone confirmed their opinion of this know-it-all.

“We have one of those on the Olympic Stadium, that’s how I know,” I explained weakly.

———————————

13. Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, let’s nip this rumour in the bud. Hal Gill didn’t say he didn’t want to play for Michel Therrien.

This all started from this blurb from Dave Stubbs’ article:

The quote:

“One prominent unrestricted free agent I’ve spoken with since regular-season’s end could be a nice fit in Montreal at a decent price and would fill a Habs need.

“But then I floated the name of Therrien among potential Canadiens coaches, a suggestion that drew 30 seconds of stone-cold silence. Finally:

“If that happens,” he said, “I’ve got 29 teams I can play for.”

Now, some sharp-minded HIO’istes deduced that it must have been Hal Gill who said that. That’s not a bad guess, but is just a guess nonetheless. Whoever the ‘prominent UFA’ is, we can’t say for certain.

———————————

14. Sir.Plekers says:

BERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN SUCKSSSSSSS

15. punkster says:

Of course, one of the most famous Jimmy songs of all time performed by one of the world’s finest entertainers:

***Subbang Baby!!!***

I’d like to dedicate this comment to the memory of Little Jimmy.

Jimmy we hardly knew you. This cruel world took you from us way too soon. Worse. We ended up with Michel Therrien as coach and not Patrick Roy. It’s a cruel world and they haven’t found the cure for a broken franchise living on the laurels of its past.

It is times like these that it’s important to let it all out. Vent. Cry. Rant. Wail.

Why is life so unfair? If only we had known earlier we could have avoided the anguish and the pain. But now it’s all over. It will be another two maybe three years of being lost in the wilderness.

So come on people. 40 posts or less and we hit 2000.

• JohnBellyful says:

NO NO NO!
      HH, Jimmy’s still alive, he’s still in surgery. They removed his appendix and now they’re working on his tonsils. There is bad news, though. While Jimmy was on the operating table, the doctors noticed he has six toes on his left foot. And only on four on his right. Once they get his tonsils out, they’re going to do a toe transplant.
      I just hope Eklund hasn’t reported Jimmy expired. His parents will be so disappointed.

• flowerpower_74 says:

Wow, what some people will post just to reach 2000!!

17. punkster says:

A little Jimi for little Jimmy:

***Subbang Baby!!!***

18. Habfan10912 says:

I move that we dedicate this thread to Jimmy. We’re with you Jimmy!

———————————–

19. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

New saying: WWCHD?

(what would Crawford have done?)

20. Mattyleg says:

There once was a coach nicknamed ‘Therry’
    Whose after-game outbursts were scary.
    Will his Habs ‘D’ be ‘soff’?
    Will he stay? Be shipped off?
    I guess those are all up to Carey.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Matty, if it’s not too much trouble, could you come up with another great limerick? For Jimmy? Maybe on the new GM:
      There once was a GM named Bergevin …

21. JohnBellyful says:

New thread opened. Don’t think we’ll hit 2,000. Unless we do it for little Jimmy in the hospital who’s getting his appendix out today.

22. Wintercount says:

I admit I’ve not seen much footage of the entry ready players, but i have seen Grigorenko play and here’s why I’d pick him.
    1- He decided, on his own, to play in Canada.
    2- He picked-up the “lingo” in less than a year.
    3- He played the playoffs with mono and not once did he use it as a crutch.
    He has confidence in his ability, wants to be a factor, has endless potential, and he will be a contender.
    Alex G will be a good player, but he’s looks small standing beside Grig.
    We are looking for “a BIG center, are we not?

ex nihilo nihil fit

• flowerpower_74 says:

I agree with you on all 3 points except Galchenyuk is faster and is is only 2 inches shorter than Grigorenko. But I will be happy with either one.

I just hope we don’t pick Forsberg, I was not impressed with his stats in the 2 tier league he played in last year.

Defense wins championships.

• Rob D says:

Forsberg..think he is going to sucker someone into drafting him. Very nice player but I think he’s rated WAY too high. But this draft is scaring me anyway since all the top picks at forward are iffy.

I’d rather find that big center/forward next year when the eligible players are to drool for. We do have a pile of 2nd rounders and maybe we can package a few to get another first rounder.

I would be happy with Galchenyuk though…I like his size/speed, his domination at a very young age and the interviews seem to reveal a kid who loves to play hockey. That injury may have kept him from being the consensus No.1 pick. I still think someone is going to trade up to try and get him. We’ll have to see.

I bet Denis Savard looked small standing next to Doug Wickenheiser too! (just a joke…not a shot)

• flowerpower_74 says:

Yeah I could even see someone trading with Edmonton to get Galchenyuk and Yakupov slipping to #2. And if Columbus passes on him, would we take Yak or Grig?

Defense wins championships.

• Un Canadien errant says:

If Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk end up going 1-2, we may have an opportunity to trade down a couple of spots and still scoop up Mikhail Grigorenko. We’d just need the Islanders or Leafs to really, really want to grab Ryan Murray or Filip Forsberg, we could get something for nothing basically.

———————————

23. flowerpower_74 says:

Just posting to try and reach 2000!

Defense wins championships.

24. Chuck says:

1918!

___________________________________________________

25. aemarchand11 says:

Derren Dreger Reporting on Twitter that Martin Lapointe is the new Director of Player Development

26. LizardKing12 says:

According to Darren Dreger, Martin Lapointe has been hired as director of player development.

27. shiram says:

dunno if it was posted before : Marty Lapointe, director of player development for the Habs.

DarrenDreger:
    Following up on @TSNBobMcKenzie report last night on TSN. Marty LaPointe expected to be named Habs Dir of Player Development.

28. pmaraw says:

the thing I dont like about the Therrien hire is it puts Jacques Martin in line for a habs coaching position, or Mario Tremblay.

29. The Dude says:

Radulov’s on the market. Lets do a swap Berge.

30. shiram says:

Having had a day to think over Therrien’s hiring, I’m still not too fond of the hiring.
    The guy cannot speak fluently or correctly, neither in french or english, but he gets his meaning across.
    I’m guessing he will get alot of flak thrown at him, solely based on his use of wrong terms or turns of phrase.
    I also heard he was on a 3 year deal.
    I’m thinking Tom Nickle might have been right, this could be a turnaround move, to build a better team in 2-3 seasons.
    Skillsy’s remark is a bad omen, but again you have to hope Therrien improved since then. Therrien was asked many times about his Penguins outburts, hopefully he keeps it mind, those things will follow him wherever he goes.

• Kooch7800 says:

Where was Gill’s comments…I missed them

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• shiram says:

I read it on here, someone was quoted about Habs hiring Therrien, and a free agent said he’d have 29 teams he could work for. People were saying it was Gill.

• sane hockey fan says:

The misinformation spread on this site is astounding.

• shiram says:

Care to enlighten me?

• sane hockey fan says:

Well first off, there is this idea that MB and MT are good buddies and he just hired his buddy. I went through this in a comment below. Anyways, it isn’t true. Knowing someone doesn’t make them your good buddy.

Now we have your comment. You first comment says that his reaction is a bad omen yet your second comment you state that you ‘read it on here’ ‘people were saying it was Gill’…yeah sounds legit. When in actuality all he did was tweet ‘so i wonder when mtl is going to hire a coach’ which can be interpreted any number of ways. Did he write it sarcastically because of how twitter was exploding with the news of a new coach or did he mean it like he doesn’t think Therrien is a real coach? I don’t know. It was a very cryptic tweet.

As for him saying that he will work for 29 other teams or whatever, show me where he says that cause I can’t seem to find it anywhere. So yeah, misinformation indeed.

This is two examples in the past two days.

• pmaraw says:

after gill found out the news of therrien being hired he tweeted ‘so i wonder when mtl is going to hire a coach’ or something along those lines, leaving me to think he doesnt feel therrien is a real coach.

31. Chrisadiens says:

My reaction to Therrien? Meh… Its a 3 year deal…if he sucks we can fire him in a year and a half. There really wasn’t a great candidate out there either. The two coaches i wanted are in Chicago and Detroit.

Now go get me Larry from NJ as an asst and all will be good.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Hey Chris, how ya doin’? Saw the pic of your pops with the fish you guys caught the other day. Looks like you and pops had a good day on the water. CHeers man!

32. Captain aHab says:

What I find interesting is that Bergevin will be all-in right from the very start. His staff, his coach, his very high number 1 pick. If the team goes off to a very rough start, I wonder how much rope he’ll have. I think he has 2 years to produce.

The thing that I though was unfortunate is that at the Bergevin presser, the talk was that making the playoffs wasn’t good enough. At yesterday’s presser, it seemed that the goal was to make the playoffs and then see what happens. Managing expectations already?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• BobDobbs says:

Since the two press conferences the implications of league parity in the potential for lower-seeded teams to make it far into the playoffs has become clearer. Bergevin specifically mentionned Los Angeles and Jersey as cases in point so I think that explains his meaning.

33. frontenac1 says:

I was under the impression that it is Geoff Molsons own money in the Habs and Not Molson Coors money.Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

You are correct, but for the purpose of nuna’s rants it suits him better to assume Molson/Coors owns the team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Molson brothers are the new owners of the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club

Tuesday, 01.12.2009 / 3:47 PM

“The group led by Geoff, Andrew and Justin Molson officially became owners of the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club on Tuesday. The transaction was completed this morning after receiving the approval of the National Hockey League. The transaction also includes the Bell Centre and the Gillett Entertainment Group.

“I would like to thank the NHL governors for their support and I would also like to thank all those who have contributed to the success of this transaction,” said Geoff Molson, who leads the investor group.

“Partners of the Molson brothers in the transaction include Woodbridge, BCE/Bell, the QFL Solidarity Fund, Michael Andlauer, Luc Bertrand and the National Bank Financial Group. The National Bank also joined as a partner in addition to leading the banking syndicate, which includes Desjardins Group and Scotiabank. Investissement Québec, a Quebec government corporation that promotes investment in the province, also participated in the financing.”

———————————

Edmonton extends Tambellini contract. Must be great, build a team bad enough to get first overall pick three years in a row and you get an extension. Truly Edmonton remains the “City of Champions” as the sign entering the city reads.

35. commandant says:

I agree with Tom, the leafs won’t let a second time in the market without a huge payoff first. It will take a huge chunk not of their ticket sales, but where it will hurt is in Merchandise, Tv ratings and fees, etc… This would be a blow to MLSE and they will ask for huge compensation on the basis of territorial rights.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

They will get their payoff, the 2nd team will make more than enough money that they can afford to make that payment. Eventually the NHL will be faced with a courtcase where the league will try and explain its territorial rights program and lose. The NHL needs to ensure they at least get paid off when the 2nd team moves into Toronto.

Watching this thread grow comment by comment is like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and another fellow try to see how far into the Empty gauge they can drive the car. Is it possible we hit 2,000….. the excitement continues to build.

• Ron in Ottawa says:

Right- talk, talk, talk. All this upset about MT. Let’s face it: the team could be coached by Son of Sam and if they won, we’d all cheer that he was the greatest. And if they lost, the Bell Centre would still be sold out everynight and RDS would still broadcast the games.
      So let’s be honest. None of us had the chance to interview any of the candidates so we don’t know what MB and GM said to MT about his behavior, past, present and yet to come.
      And also let’s be honest: in the end it will be about the players. Who will the habs pick in the draft and which fre agents will they go after and what will they do with the deadwood on the team? I’m sure all the candidtaes must have had some strong ideas about Gomez and Kaberle. Let’s drink a cool one and wait see what happens- if anything happens- in September and October.

• BobDobbs says:

At the same time, based on what I know it’s my amateur opinion that Therrien is an excellent hiring, and by the same token I respect that other amateur opinions may differ from mine. We can have our opinions, but it’s true that we need to remember we could be wrong; and when we express our views it’s helpful to use well thought-out reasoning, not just declare how you feel about it emotionally.

37. Saundies says:

Trade Desharnais and our 3rd for Columbus’s 2nd. It allows us to get our future #1 centre in Galchenyuk without any risk (because I can see CLB either taking him or TOR trading up), it moves Plekanec and Eller up a position on the depth chart, leaving a hole in the 3rd line centre position that you could easily fill at UFA, it saves us money on our cap this year but also DD’s upcoming contract, and it makes us a bigger team overall.

• Kooch7800 says:

Seems a little steep trading our best point producing centre and our #1 pick to get a prospect that might pan out

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Saundies says:

A little right now, yeah, but he was our best point producing centre LAST YEAR playing with Patches and Cole who both had career years. Is it possible he puts up those numbers this year? Maybe. Is it likely? No.

You have to ask yourself: is DD a #1 centre in the NHL? On a lot of other teams, the answer is no. Is a fully developed Galchenyuk a #1 centre in the NHL? That’s what he is projected to be, combining both his skill and his work ethic off the ice.

• Kooch7800 says:

They all had career years though and that should be noted. Sometimes chemistry goes along way. Max P starting playing better after playing with DD in the AHL.

Who’s to say they all don’t dip in production if they take DD off that line?

I would be up for trading up in the draft but it woulddn’ t be for DD. Diaz, Weber any of our bottom 6 wingers. I would rather move a second round pick that we acquired and one of the fringe players to move up because if Columbus is only dropping one spot back it isn’t worth losing the farm over

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• pmaraw says:

is it likely that DD had any involvement on the other 2 players career years? yes. is it possible that they improve and some of those missed bounces go in, yes. maybe cole gets a 2 goal game sometime before march next season. besides, im hoping we draft forsberg.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t believe they are about to trade any more Francophones if they can help it.

• Saundies says:

And why not, if you have an opportunity to make your team better in the long run? I don’t think Marc Bergevin really cares how fans are going to react to his moves (obviously, after yesterdays hire) and I commend him for it. The minute you start hesitating to make moves just because of how you think the fans are going to react is the minute you stop being a good GM. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn’t but just because a player can speak french doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be dealt if he’s expendable.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Moving up one position is not worth DD.

If Yak and Gal are gone we still have our pick of Murray or Forsberg.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• The Dude says:

Replace DD with Gionta.

• Habsrule1 says:

Personally I would not do that. The fact is Galchenyuk is not a sure thing. As a matter of fact, I’m not even sure the Habs would take him if they had the 1st overall pick.
      Desharnais had very good linemates, but if you ask those linemates, they will tell you they had career years largely due to the play of DD.
      He’s not going anywhere.

Go Habs Go!!

• BobDobbs says:

Since nobody’s saying it, I’ll say it: that’s completely insane.

• JUST ME says:

No player is that superior in this year`s draft to be worth a D.D. nd quite honestly it would be a very bad move to do. Among all the Habs players of last season he was one of the few who gave 100 % effort every game and he made the others playing with him better.

And i will not go into the tsunami it would create to let go a francophone at this time of the fragile rebuilding trust in the Habs process….

• Saundies says:

All of you guys calling me insane and all this refuse to look at the big picture at all. This is why the Habs suck. We complain about all this stuff; how small we are, how we’ve been missing that “elusive #1 centre” for years now. Now we finally have a chance to get one, and you guys won’t even give up a 5’7 2nd line centre (which we currently have THREE of, by the way). We just expect all this to fall in our lap and give up nothing or nobody’s that clearly, no other team is going to want if we don’t want them. Ex. Weber, Diaz, BOTTOM SIX WINGERS (Lol)

I’m not knocking Desharnais, the guy can play. But my point is, Gally right now is said to be the only other superstar coming out of this draft class besides Yakupov. It’s not “moving up one position”, it’s moving up one class of player all together from Forsberg to Galchenyuk. You’re moving up from a player who’s ceiling is supposively 80 points or so (pretty good) to an all class franchise player, who will be the blue chip, #1 centre you’ve wanted so bad.

The only other example I can think of right now of doing something like this is, for any Jays fans out there, Alex Anthopolous trading Shaun Marcum for Brett Lawrie. Marcum was the Jays ace at the time and a really good pitcher ON HIS TEAM (like DD is on ours). But Lawrie has world class potential, and would be a superstar on any team in the league. Yes, it hurt giving up one of the team’s top players at the time, but I can tell you that Jays fans don’t even know who Marcum is anymore.

No pain, no gain. Enough said.

38. nellis13 says:

Therrien’s an emotional guy and after JM I’d say that’s a plus. He’s defensive minded which as a fan I don’t like, but the reality is defensive teams do better. Did he lose his s#!* in Pittsburgh? Yes. Will he do it again here? Unlikely. It would almost certainly end his career and he knows it.
    On another note, the reason some people (me included) wanted Carbo is that we played exciting hockey under him. Maybe that doesn’t translate into winning these days but a least it was entertaining.

39. ed lopaz says:

Gill’s reaction about playing for any of the 29 other teams not coached by Therrien is very, very disturbing indeed.

Out of all the players that have played for the Habs, few, maybe none, have impressed me more – as a person – than Gill.

Gill is someone whose opinion I trust implicitly.

Holy Crap!!

Can we have a mulligan?

40. sane hockey fan says:

Where does this “MB just hired his good buddy Therrien” business come from? Does anyone actually know they are good friends or is it just something that has spread around online (like most of the BS that gets passes as fact around here) ? I ask only because while watching the press conference yesterday, MB alluded to the fact that he knew Therrien but didn’t really know his personality until they went through the interview process, leading me to believe that they aren’t as good friends as everyone here make them out to be. Just because you know someone doesn’t make you “good buddies”

Furthermore, most people refer to the fact that MB hired his “buddies” Mellanby and Dudley as if it is a bad thing. Why? What is wrong with surrounding yourself with people you know well and trust? I understand that nepotism is bad, however nepotism is favoritism of family or friends regardless of merit which I don’t believe is the case in this situation. Mellanby and especially Dudley have tons of merit.

Does anyone really think there were any available assistant GM candidates out there with with more merit than Dudley or Mellanby that MB ignored so he could have his friends with him?

MB spoke directly to that point on the radio yesterday, but people here still like to spew Kife because it suits the argument they are making. MB stated unequivocally that while he has known MT for awhile, they are not close friends and that a year and a half can go by and they wont talk to each other. They know each other and they get along.

According to the logic of these two being best friends, I am guessing then that HH and I are best friends as we talk to each other on this forum.

• punkster says:

Good heavens man. That means I must be related to him because I’ve met him, twice.

I need a drink!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• otter649 says:

Pierre McGuire appears to have the most friends in hockey going back 20 plus years after hearing him talk some times about people he has met & talked to from time to time over the years…..lol

41. ont fan says:

Changing the subject. Huberdeau should have made the Panthers last year but the management didn’t want to pay him, so they sent him back to juniors. Was he that great at the Memorial Cup.You would think he would dominate.

42. stevieray says:

Anyone know anything about the term and $$ for Mike’s hiring ?

43. gibber 10 says:

I think it is a boring move by the Habs is what has everyone bummed out. At the end of the day all the angry people will be on board if the Habs start winning.

Winning makes all things right amongst Habs fans. Losing sucks.

Loving the Habs is an abusive relationship when we all fell in love with them when they were pretty and winning cups. Then they started getting complacent in the relationship and when they realized that we were becoming less interested in our relationship they go and buy some flowers and a nice dinner to forget about their abuse of our love (ie a good run in the playoffs, beating the Leafs, finishing top in the playoffs).

then forget and love them again, get our hopes up that things really will be different this time and that they have changed and are really going to try again so we trust once more!

But then come back and beat us up again…. poor us but they are our Habs so lets just do what we do every year….. see if it is going to be the abusive love of our lives on bad behaviour or that romantic caring and successful team that we first fell in love….

All we can do is hope that the Stanley Cup drought will end… Bonne Chance Therrien

44. commandant says:

Bri, the complex is being built. However saying that guarantees toronto the next franchise is jumping the gun A LOT.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

Markham, Hamilton, London, whatever. There will NOT be another team from Ontario in the NHL as long as the Leafs are a part of it.

Quebec City or Seattle will get the next NHL team. Guaranteed.

• Bripro says:

He surprised me with this news. I’m with Tom. I think it’ll be Seattle, because our man Buttman prefers everything-U.S.
        I don’t see why Ontario won’t get another team when they can easily support it.
        New York has two (technically), California has three…

• Max_a_million says:

The problem for Bettman is that he already has all of the dollars he can get out of Hockey Night in Canada and TSN. Adding a new Canadian team isn’t really adding a new market, although the gate should be much better the TV revenue is short. Whereas adding Seattle (or a team of that ilk), would bring in New TV revenue. He gets criticized for being American centered, and I myself prefer to have robust Canadian teams, but it has logic behind it.

• Chris says:

New York state has three teams (Rangers, Islanders, and Sabres), while metro New York City is also supporting three teams (Rangers, Islanders and Devils).

• Bripro says:

I forgot the Sabres….doesn’t everyone? ;)

• Max_a_million says:

Do the Sabres play half of their games in Toronto like the Bills? Maybe this stadium could facilitate that! Upstate New York is a sad rusty belted locale.

• Rainrocket16 says:

This is to comment down below to Max a Million, I agree that UPSTATE is rusty and hockey is not too well followed. I am from Northern NY and I feel that most of us from Syracuse up are either Habs Fans or Ranger fans fans. Sabres are mostly subjected to western ny. If that team was in Syracuse you would have a HUGE fan base. For know I guess the Northern NY’ers will continue to be March madness freaks! Go Orangemen!

• HardHabits says:

If it is between those two cities I’d put my money on Seattle. Quebec will not get another NHL franchise until at least after the next provincial election and the outcome of that election will determine whether or not Quebec City will even be in the running.

• Bripro says:

If we have to pay more taxes to bring back the Nordiques, I’d rather say no.
          If they shove a tax bill any higher up our collective yoohoos, they’ll be picking our noses.

• The Dude says:

Seattle is the proper move and what a rivalry with the Nucks it would create”as well as L.A.,Oilers and Flames.. The N.H.L. would make mo moneys.

• Chris says:

I’m not so sure about that. The NHL recognizes that another Canadian team is a cash cow.

I think Seattle (or Portland or Kansas City) are more likely targets for relocation. The scuttlebutt has long been held that Bettman does not want the Coyotes moving to Canada, as Quebec City or Toronto ownership groups would be more likely to be willing to pay a $150-200 million expansion fee than a ownership group in an American market, who are also going to have to create a market that doesn’t presently exist. So if the Coyotes relocate, I suspect they would go to Seattle or Portland.

The NHL would like to expand to 32 teams for schedule and conference balancing reasons. And I think a team in Markham is far more likely than Hamilton. There are more than enough hockey fans in Toronto to service two profitable teams. Hamilton, on the other hand, would eat into Buffalo’s ability to keep its team profitable.

Quebec City is a given for an expansion team, either now or in the future. The second expansion team could be Seattle, but I think that they are worried enough about a couple of American markets that they want to keep their relocation options open.

Disagree Tom. I have told you my reasons before, and i still believe them to be true. Look forward to watching it all play out.

45. Mr. Biter says:

Very interesting. French Media loving the hire of MT while 68% of posters not so thrilled with the new coach. Question for anyone out there. If we did not have to have hired a French speaking coach to fawn the French media, would MT have been hired?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• BobDobbs says:

First of all there would also have been more options if we could have hired a coach who only speaks French, no English. Second, in calculating these sort of hypotheticals it’s important to keep in mind the advantages of a French Montreal market in terms of how good a team we have on the ice; lots of people point out the negatives but there are at least as many positives, probably more.

• Mr. Biter says:

Interesting reply espically about the positives vs negatives but a French only speaking coach would have problems communicating with his players the majority which speak limited or no French.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

46. Bripro says:

Changing the subject…still hockey.
    A buddy of mine from Toronto texted me that the next NHL team will be located in Markham. They’re looking at moving the Coyotes up north.
    He says they’re building a huge NHL-ready arena, conference centre and complex (billions of dollars). Rumour is they’ll get it before either Quebec City or Hamilton.
    Has anyone else heard this?

• mdp2011 says:

This is old news, Graeme Roustan is behind the project. The NHL arena in Markham (315$M) will cost cheaper than the one in QC (400$M) and will be ready one year sooner.

47. Max_a_million says:

I have no idea where this Therrien has matured business is coming from. He went out in Montreal as a hothead, went out in Pittsburgh as a hothead, and he sounds like a blowhard on the RDS. What evidence is out there that this guys has mellowed over time?

Honestly people do not change that much. They might give up a more dangerous vice like drinking, for a more tame one like coffee, or something of the sort. He is still going to be Michel Therrien, not Mike Babcock. 10 years in the rear view will not make him into Mike Babcock.

• joeybarrie says:

Wait, didnt we want fire???
      How is Roy level headed and Therrien is a hot head?
      How is Crawford level headed (given his upcoming court hearing) and Therrien is a hot head?

• Max_a_million says:

You have brought out a valid point of contention. I was looking to examine the point of all of the people (Marinara, Tiemann, etc) who are saying that Therrien will mellow. I don’t think he will.

Although I was not going in the direction that you brought this, I think that Roy is firey in a positive tone. He cares about his team with passion. I think Michel is too negative on his own players, and has the audacity to utilize the media to convey this instead of talking to his players face to face. The difference is nuanced, but I think important.

• ont fan says:

Truthfully, I don’t believe Roy was really in the picture. Therrien Hartley and Crawford seem to be the only real contenders when you look at it now. Carbo hasn’t put in the work, Roy needs to coach pros, the other 3 would get a couple of years to show their stuff. If Therrien doesn’t show he has matured, we move on. Maybe the climate changes in a couple of years when we are contenders.

• Max_a_million says:

Truthfully I don’t think Crawford was realistically in the picture either. Bergevin likes hiring his buddies, Therrien was the coach with this qualification.

There’s a level of idiocy that far exceeds any form of nonsense. It is called nunasense.