Therrien tinkers with lines; no NHL discipline for Leafs’ Grabovski

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien tinkered with his lines again at practice on Monday morning in Brossard after Saturday’s embarrassing 6-0 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Desharnais-Pacioretty-Cole line that led the Canadiens in offence last season has been re-jigged. Forward Brandon Prust played with David Desharnais and Erik Cole at practice, while Max Pacioretty was paired up with rookies Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher.

“Obviously with Desharnais’s line we don’t have the result that we’re looking for,” Therrien said after practice.

“We gave those guys a lot of chances. We spoke to those guys and they know where we’re (coming from),” Therrien said, adding he hadn’t seen much chemistry on that line during the last game.

It’s one of the reasons why they tried to make some changes and will hopefully get better results, he said.

Galchenyuk and Gallagher have a lot of speed, Therrien said. “And having a guy like Pacioretty will be tough to contain with their speed. He’s got size.”

Prust did a great job with the two rookies, Therrien said. “He’s a tough guy to play against and maybe this is what Desharnais and Cole need – you know, a true leader on the ice.”

After the loss to the Leafs, Cole sent a text message to his teammates on a group chat that he set up during the National Hockey League lockout. He wrote that all teams will face a difficult time. The Canadiens are in the midst of one right now and it’s up to them to get themselves out of it.

Cole said he also told his teammates that he plans on being a lot better and to help be part of the solution.

Pacioretty said he wasn’t looking at the line change as a demotion but rather as a change of scenery.

“It’s not working,” Paciorettey said. “The team needs something different. I’ve been under-achieving. My linemates have been under-achieving. The chemistry didn’t seem like it’s there right now. We haven’t helped the team win.

“I can just speak for myself personally: I’ve got to be better,” Pacioretty added.

After practice, the Canadiens headed to Florida, where they’ll play the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio) and the Panthers on Thursday.

At this juncture of the season, Therrien wishes the Canadiens had a slightly better record because of how they’ve played.

“I thought we played a solid game against the Bruins. I thought we played a decent game against Buffalo. We were in a great position to win that hockey game,” he said, referring to last week’s games. “And obviously (Saturday’s match)…was a tough one.”

The team is still in a good position, Therrien said. “It’s going to be tight until the end of the year and…we all understand that.”

“We’ve got to get back to the winning streak tomorrow,” he added. “That’s the way we see it.”

The NHL announced on Monday afternoon that the Maple Leafs’ Mikhail Grabovski would not face supplemental discipline for allegedly biting Pacioretty on the arm during Saturday’s fight-filled game. Here’s the official statement:

“Following a telephone hearing conducted this morning, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety has decided not to assess Supplemental Discipline to Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mikhail Gravovski for an incident that occurred during NHL Game No. 160 Saturday night in Montreal.

“After interviewing both players involved in the incident and reviewing all of the available video and medical reports, the League could not determine conclusively that Grabovski bit Montreal forward Max Pacioretty.

“The Department of Player Safety has concluded that there was not sufficient evidence to support imposing Supplemental Discipline.”

For a photo gallery of Biting in Sports, click here.

1,018 Comments

1. otter649 says:

James Van R scores for Leafs beating Luke Scheen to the outside before getting his shot off……

2. frontenac1 says:

:uh?4-1 Jackets over Sharks in the 3rd??

Halak apparently hurt himself in warmup, he was scheduled to start. He is really starting to fight injury bug. Elliot hasn’t been sharp for Blues lately, big loss for Blues.

4. Mavid says:

I was able to work at home today, and again tomorrow, by wednesday I should be able to deal with the knuckleheads..

5. habs4_25th says:

Well since patches has the superhuman healing powers he was already healed after the bite that is why Grabovski didn’t get anything

6. Mattyleg says:

God.
    The Flyers look like they’re on ‘ludes.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

So Holzer cross checks a flyers head into dasher and the idiot Greg Millen makes no comment. Why are some fans so Bias they can’t even see when a dirty play is committed by their team.

8. JohnBellyful says:

This is so weird. All day long I’ve been having these out-of-body experiences, as if I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil.
    But every time I’ve pinched myself it hurts so I guess I still have an earthly presence.
    That 6-0 shellacking at the hands of the Leafs obviously upset me more than I realized.
    It’s very unsettling, being stuck between two worlds: HIO and sanity.

So you evidently have someone here who no longer wants the living body John around. I trust he is paying you big bucks for trademark infringement?

• JohnBellyful says:

I’ve talked to a kid down the street who’s in a Grade 10 law class. He says we have a case. I’m meeting him tonight after he finishes his shift at Wendy’s.
        Edit: I’ve made a few acquaintances in my spectral travels. Anyone remember the Ghosts of Past, Present and Future posting here?

9. frontenac1 says:

Big John Erskine is serving a 3 game suspension for knocking Simmonds into the quiet room. Big Mac , I think went down on waivers.

• piper says:

Erskine could play regularly and Big Mac when required (Bruins, Leafs).
      I don’t see the downfall of picking these guys up unless the Pens and Caps want too much which they might knowing the Hab’s “condition”.

10. Say Ash says:

Why does Philly keep bringing back Boucher? They can’t help themselves, eh?

11. PrimeTime says:

How are the closet Leaf-minded Hab fans tonight???

12. Sean Bonjovi says:

I see that the Leafs are up 4-1. Has Man-Eater got any points tonight?

13. jedimyrmidon says:

I hope the Flyers are like this on Saturday.

14. otter649 says:

Down goes Reimer – Leafs Fans can’t blame Gionta this time…..

15. frontenac1 says:

@hobie. Orr is a tough Hombre that can swing momemtum. But if I had a choice ,it would be McIntyre. And/or Big John Erskine.Saludos Amigo!

16. Say Ash says:

So Booby Lou to Toronto, finally?

17. Mattyleg says:

Holy crap, the Flyers’ defense is making ours on Saturday night look like a concrete wall.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. habs001 says:

Not one game this season that the Leafs were shorthanded more than their opposition…they are tied for 25th in times short handed and many of those penalties have been delay of game,faceoff infraction or closing your hand on the puck…Habs pk 16th…Plecks is still the best pk forward even though he wins very few pk draws in his zone..but he has the speed and agility to chase players…Armstrong,Prust and Moen are just too static…letting teams set up will lead to goals

19. frontenac1 says:

Grabovski is now a Target amigos. It won’t be a Hab that takes him out.But ,bet your boots ,there is a Lad out there(probably an ECHL call up) that will.There is a code for that .

• otter649 says:

Grabovski is a tough little bugger – Chara almost put him through the boards one game & he staggered back to the bench & later came back to score The GWG……

20. Mavid says:

Happy Gilmore is on..good I need a good laugh right now..and I need a break from fighting with certain folks..

21. joe LaVerdiere says:

Joe LaVerdiere Idont have in faith M.T couching he looks like he is half a sleep. and so do his players. montreal has no scoring punch like 50 & 60;s . they dont have pride; all they seem to care about is geting the game over with.when are they going to start earning the money they are paid. come on managment get with it get some players that really want to play for montreal

canadians .i have been a montreal canadian fan for 65 years the referes and the premodones players have ruined hockey.

22. Mattyleg says:

Reimer out.
    Looks like a groin or knee.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. piper says:

Those goons do nothing for a team do they?

Wow, Colton Orr with a goal. Toronto is rolling right now.

25. montrealtilldeath says:

My apologies to Count Dracula for elevating Grabovsky to the status of aristocracy. Cannibal or Hannibal or simply b%&#h seem to be more appropriate for this low life. As for the league’s response Pacs near decapitation at the hands of Chara did not move them so why would a little “hand of man” take out order be cause for alarm. Shanahan is useless. The Leafs and Bruins are like Duke in basketball no meaningful fouls will be called.

• The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

I think the Bruins are on their way out. The so called “tough guys” in Boston have been taking a beating all season long. Thornton got clobbered by Scott and now the rest of the team has been awfully timid, it really demonstrates how important Thornton was to that team and how their image of intimidation was a load of fluff. Campbell got TKO’d by Kaleta of all people last night, which is bound to be a humiliating experience for the Bruins and there fans. Thornton is back now but he has really lost his mojo.

Trust me, the word is now out that the so called Big Bad Bruins are actually a bunch of scared little cubs now that heir primary bodyguard is neutered.

26. theox_8 says:

This was on a thread on tsn. By far one of the dumbest things I have read so far this year.

ozzy1998
    3 hours ago

All teams have games like saturday night! Remember St Louis whipping Detroit 6-0 to kick off the season? Well Detroit’s done pretty well putting that blow out loss behind them. What montreal’s really gotta do is find a way to win with PK Subban in the line up or trade him as the chemistry in montreal’s been destroyed ever since his return! Report this comment!

27. Boomer says:

Poor Patches… Attempted murder by a giant slovakian… appendix going ape ***t and now a tiny belarussian attempting cannibalism…

28. habs-fan-84 says:

On a random note:

There’s enough veteran leadership on this team to NOT let this losing streak get out of hand.

29. Adidess says:

Now Pacioretty is soft and useless, we should trade him? The way some guys are talking here, it seems like Dudley should not be scouting other NHL teams. He should be scouting UFC.

I have been taking spelling lessons from this guy since I wrote my first sentence ever, on HIO in 2007.

He is one of those literary geniuses. And he is willing to help anyone who asks.

Mr. Webster!

31. jedimyrmidon says:

Oh look, another Leaf 5-on-3.

Seems every team does this now, where the player turns and faces the boards with the puck, thus drawing a boarding call or hoping no one hits him because back is turned. Yet in this case Kessel didn’t need to face the boards but chose to. Very dicey situation for the refs/league/players etc…

32. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Everybody is talking about the offensive lines today but what about the defensive lines? Why is Gorges not back with PK already? Weren’t they the shut down group last year? When is MT going to realize he has two horses: Price and PK? Isn’t time to play PK 25 min/game (with Gorges) against the best from the other side. It would help Markov as he can’t log the heavy minutes he used to.

33. Love the idea of Max and the young guns playing together. Hope it works out ASAP to makes us forget Saturday night.

Cole said some powerful words back in January, may have some sort of mental effect on him.

He better come around, or get eatin alive.

LET’S PACK THE HOUSE
    Be A Pro Fundraiser Feb 24th (see web site for details)
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

34. Hobie Hansen says:

As angry as I am that we’re still the softest team in the league, we aren’t exposed every game and I believe we have just enough to squeak into the playoffs.

Just squeaking into the playoffs leaves us picking somewhere in the middle of the 1st round if I’m not mistaken. We’ve got Galchenyuk and Gallagher looking pretty good for the future up front and Tinordi and Beaulieu on the back end.

So what I’d like to see Montreal do is to use all their picks, the one 1st round pick and the three (I think) 2nd rounders on guys that fit the mold of a David Clarkson, Milan Lucic or Ryan Getzlaf type of player. I hear it’s a deep draft.

I’d like to see Timmins go after 3 or 4 forwards, 6’2″ or larger, with good hands and a bit of a mean streak.

So all you prospect gurus out there, are there any possibilities mid 1st round and through the 2nd round?

And if all else fails, draft a guy like John Scott with our last pick :-).

Here is Bob McKenzie’s list of top 60 available players. I don’t know answer to your question I asked similar question earlier.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Erne and Rychel look pretty good for mid 1st rounders.

1st round I suspect and think is a round for taking best skill. 2nd and into 3rd round I think is when we start looking for that body we talk about Hobie.

We shall see how Toronto’s experiment turns out, but they swapped their 1st round pick and added a 2nd in order to move up and take the truculent Tyler Biggs. The 2nd round pick they gave up ended up being the U.S. goalie at the World Juniors this years.

Seems the big tough gritty powerforward with skill is one of the hardest positions to predict.

• The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

not many guys like that at this years draft, the only power forward in the first round is Adam Erne, and he is more of a Dustin Brown type player (which is great btw).

Tom Wilson, a Washington prospect, seems to be a total Kassian type player. We just need to pry him out of the Capitals hands in a trade.

• jedimyrmidon says:

How are the Habs the softest team in the league?

As for the draft, what a waste it is to only target a single type of player. Sounds something like the Blue Jackets or the Islanders would do.

• Mr. Biter says:

Armstrong $1M, Moen$1.85M Staubitz (6:1 203) $675,000.00 siiiigggnnnn.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

35. Mavid says:

I am not sure who is stupider..stupidest..Leaf fans or Sens fans..good god there goes my old illiterate brain again..so sorry…. :evil:

36. habs-fan-84 says:

I can’t wait until tomorrow so this forum can finally move on from Saturday night.

We sucked, end of story. The game was a statistical outlier. Now, Let’s move on.

After 11 games there’s a lot to be happy about. With the trajectory we’re on, we’ll make the playoffs.

Well didn’t take long for the Flyers to show Toronto something. Well executed.

38. vic says:

I hope Therrien told these players what pride means.
    They are a laughing stock here in Toronto which pisses me
    off

• Habfan10912 says:

Flyers put one early. Maybe tomorrow will be a bit better for ya bud.

———————————–

• The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

we had better come out scorin’ and a swingin’ on the 27th, I sincerely hope that Kadri leaves with a broken nose……

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m from Newmarket and listen to the Fan590 on occasion for my drive to and from work. There’s a lot chest pounding going on in Toronto at the moment. Just be patient, the Leafs will soon be losing (they’re do for a blow out themselves) and the Habs will get back to steady play. At the end of the season we’ll see where the chips lie.

My advice, enjoy the Leaf fans who call in to the radio shows whining about their team during the next losing streak (which is probably not too far away).

I did find it funny listening the radio shows today, some of them sound like the Leafs are on the road to the Cup. I do feel it’s necessary to point out – after all the fanfare of Saturday night – the Leafs are simply a point ahead of us….including tonight, they’ve played 2 more games than us.

• jedimyrmidon says:

The worst is seeing people praise Orr for taking a run at Pleks.

39. HabFab says:

Dudley scouting the Flyers Leaf game along with scouts from Edmonton and St Louis tonight.

• Gally27 says:

Yea we play Flygirls Sat.

• Whatever says:

We’re getting Grabovsky!

• Marc10 says:

Nice. Dudley’s knowledge of all things NHL is pretty amazing. Stubbs could do a lot worse than to throw 30 NHLers and prospects at him and get an unbelievable scouting report back.

Say HIO, could we request an interview with Dudley to get his scouting report on few players…

Off the top of my head: Paajarvi, Boyle, Stewart, Semin, Evander Kane, that kid in the KHL that Washington hasn’t convinced to join them, Schultz and of course our prospects: Hudon, Collberg, Bozon, Kristo, Macmillan, etc…

I’d love to know how Dudley thinks we’re shaping up and how long he reckons before we get a contender.

• The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

Stewart tops the list for me, I wouldn’t touch Semin with a 10 foot pole.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Kusnetzov would be unreal. Rumors are they essentially blackmailed him to stay in KHL another season with threats they wouldn’t put him on the national team. Kid can snipe (we need more pure goal scorers) and isn’t small. Some people won’t like his swagger personally IDGAF.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

40. Whatever says:

What is the most mispelled word on hockey forums?

a) definitely
    b) lose

41. Habfan10912 says:

So now that biting has been leagalized by both the WWE and NHL a bidding war has begun for the coaching services of Mike Tyson. Also Molson has instructed Timmons Head of Scouting to look for players with serious over bite issues. Timmons has hired his dentist as a consultant.

———————————–

42. showey47 says:

What’s eller gotta do to get a fair shake? DD better be getting this many chances because he is getting showcased cause i can’t think of another reason why he is still in the lineup.

43. The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

Pacioretty is a player we should be thinking long and hard about, he is terribly soft for his size and seems to lack heart. His only redeeming quality seems to be scoring, but that’s not there this year.

If we were to trade him, we would likely get a high first round pick, or a star player in return, it’s something we should think seriously about.

He looks a lot like Armstrong out there.

44. CranbrookEd says:

“The team’s most effective trio of Tomas Plekanec at centre with Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta is intact, while Lars Eller remains on the fourth line with Travis Moen and Colby Armstrong.” (tsn.ca aka toronta sports network) Our current number one trio will not last the season, even the shortened season . . . has Plekanec ever scored on a breakaway? I dare say that his percentage on breakways is likely rather grim . . . I

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . . What ever happened to Johnny Jelly-Bean!?

45. L Elle says:

Inspired by the commentariat.

Ev’rybody’s talkin’ ’bout
    DDism,Pleksism, Maxism, MTism, MBism, Racism
    This-ism, that-ism, ism ism ism
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance

(C’mon)
    Ev’rybody’s talkin’ ’bout
    Heavyweight, lightweight, Tough guys, and Goonsters
    Centres, Wingers, snipers,and Point guys Oye Oye Oye Oye
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance

(Let me tell you now)
    Ev’rybody’s Thinkin”bout
    Revolution, Evolution, Tank Nation, Flagellation, Regulation,
    Integrations, mediations, United teammates, congratulations!
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance

Ev’rybody’s talkin’ ’bout
    Lars and DD, Grabovski, Bite me,
    Trade Pleks? Colesy? Weber For a Fighter
    Michel Therrien, Donald Meehan, Marc Bergevin, PK and Powerplay
    Markov and Powerplay
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance
    All we are saying is give Lars a chance

46. Ozmodiar says:

Shanahan: “Mikhail, did you bite Pacioretty’s arm?”
    Grabovski: “What you mean – “bite”?”
    BS: “You know, when his arm was in front of your face, did you bite it?”
    MG: “I don’t know what you talkin about. ‘Arm’. What is that? I don’t understand what you say.”
    BS: “You know, the arm. Pacioretty’s arm. It was right in your face.”
    MG: “You keep sayin “Pacioretty”. Who is this guy? I don’t know. You askin me these questions. I don’t know. What you want me to say?”
    BS: “Sigh”

BS: “Max, were there any teeth left in your arm after the bite that you can send us?”
    Max: “Uh, no. There were bite marks, though.”
    BS: “Inconclusive. Sorry.”

47. montrealtilldeath says:

My mother was a school teacher and a damn good one. She always said if you wanted to make a real change in a school you had to bring in a principal from the outside otherwise every thing would always settle back into the same school culture i.e. no change would occur. That was my fear when MT was hired from a group that has been around the habs for years. It is hard almost impossible to adjust consensus group opinions of players. I remember my son’s team in Ottawa when a new coach from outside came in. When a parent attempted to influence his opinion of the players he refreshingly said “I’ll make up my own mind”. As this season goes on the more MT seems to resemble Martin.

• CranbrookEd says:

Your mother spoke the truth . . . the type of change required will not come from within . . .

CranbrookEd

• dorvalhabsfan says:

didn’t we try that with Martin? and techncially we brought in an “outsider” as he was not part of the team. Therrien is VERY different from Martin in terms of coaching, communication, expectations, and line ups… the same goes for PG -> MB… PG was stoic, and very diplomatic… MB was considered an outgoing guy, and in terms of personality very different (there is no precedent to say that MB is this kind of GM or that kind of GM) lets hire an NBA GM?

Go Habs Go

48. piper says:

Seems as though Shanahan is the only one that doesnt think Grabo bit Patch. Kyprios even says it should be legal to bite. LOL!!

49. Cal says:

If you can’t beat ‘em on the ice or in the alley, the least you can do is make fun of them:
    Now, with chintzy slideshow.

50. CranbrookEd says:

“The Desharnais line . . . ” . . . really? Little Davey should centre the fourth line and Eller needs to be moved up . . . if someone is “that small” in today’s NHL, then they need to bring some extraordinarily skill and or speed. Unfortunately, Desharnais (and dare I say the captain also fits into this category) does not bring anything extraordinary beyond desire . . . oh yes, desire, alright, he does have more desire than some others who float around collecting way too much money for way too little production.

CranbrookEd

51. HabFab says:

I can see some positive to Cardinal Ouellet being elected Pope. Quebecers revert to Catholicism and give the Habs some breathing room. Non??

52. mark24 says:

The players some are saying the Habs should target in a trade are near useless. Boyle is big,slow and pretty soft for his size, he doesn’t fix anything. Bordoleau could probably be a start, but this isn’t a one player fix, we need size, with skill and toughness on the side. We need a guy like Chris Stewart to start skill,size and tough as nails. Not likely we could land Stewart from the blues but he’d be a great fit. If we can somehow find a guy like Stewart,Kassian,Clowe then you add a tough physical presence up front like Ryan Reeves, Matt Martin or another dominant checking line that you can run out there safely for 6-10 minutes a game and they may even chip in the odd goal. To finish off the changes we’d need a guy like Erskine on the back end. Not a great defender but he can play D at the NHL level. It’s not a quick, easy or likely fix but it’s nice to dream. We don’t need major change as games are won on the scoresheets and not in the penalty box, however it is still obvious that we need to still get bigger and more physical and we need players with a mean streak, not just guys that are playing the part.

53. Hamayoune says:

This league is a joke. Anyone with their right statement of mind can clearly see the incident. What were they looking for: see grabovsky’s teeth stick out?

54. Sportfan says:

So I have a question semi hockey related. Whats your favorite beer?
    Mines Moose Head

• Mr. Biter says:

MGD in a bottle. Stella Artois close second.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

SOOOOO many to choose from. Depends on time of year an environment for me. But suffice to say, if its cold I am already in a good place. Then as the quality of beer gets better, then I get to go to a really good place.

I’m with Mr. Biter when it comes to standard beer as I love MGD. But my go to specialty beers for nice evenings around the BBQ are old school beers from Austria, Czech, Germany etc…Enjoying a Kaiser bier right now as I type. Pilsner Urquell is one of my favourites.

But I will fully admit that I can enjoy Coors Light as well. I hear many screaming already, but it is what it is for me.

• Ozmodiar says:

Innis & Gunn

That is a great great beer. A wonderful sipping beer, great call Oz. Brought some to a friends house last weekend, have you tried some of their new flavours? They are all excellent.

• Ozmodiar says:

I think Irish Whiskey cask is the best I’ve tried.

Most recently purchased the spiced rum – it was great. Better than the standard rum flavored one.

Then I find the Original on tap here and there – O&B’s @ blue mtn, for example.

Edit: I just looked up all the flavors – i also tried the Cnd Day flavor – don’t really remember how I liked it, TBH. Haven’t tried the others – Blonde, Porter, etc…

• bleedhabs81 says:

but which one? The regular one? or the dark one? or the extra aged one or the blonde one….

ah hell, they all taste good!!!

• smiler2729 says:

Cold…

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• Timo says:

Mine is Hoffer Schorre (or however you spell it)

• bleedhabs81 says:

Moose piss?

Sorry, i have become a beer snob. Anything Labatt, Keiths, Molson, etc. or taste like any of the above (Moose Head) I will politely decline. They all taste the same. Skunky Watery Lagers with an IBU of 15 – 20. Hello? Keiths? a real IPA is to be in excess of 50 IBU’s!!

There are so many beers that have so much more flavour and character.

In Montreal Dieu du Ciel is fantastic. My wife is going to be in Montreal in March and made a point to rub it in my face that she is going to the brew pub to pound a few pints.

Out west, I tend to stock brews by the Cannery, or Mt Begbie. I had a very nice beer out of NYC last weekend called Hoptimus Prime (yes, I bought it for it’s name).

Every Trapist beer is delicious, but expensive.

La Chouffe or Mc Chouffe (or the Triple IPA Chouffe) out of Belgium is really good and really popular in Amsterdam (and it was only $2 a pint there!!!)

Also fell in love with Karmeliet, which is a Belgian triple (8%) but does not taste like it has a high alcohol content. The kicker is it is hard to find and costs about $20 for a four pack her in Alberta. Again, it is popular in Amsterdam and cost very little there.

Also, don’t let Stella Artois fool you, it is the Moslon Canadian of Belgium. It is neither posh nor exotic… just mass produce swill with good marketing.

sorry if I have offended. The worst thing I ever did was discover good alcohol. It costs more and makes the alternative unpalatable. For your sakes, keep drinking the cheap(er) stuff, it is best to live in ignorance.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

1. Lucky Lager
      2. Pill
      3. AGD

Note* If by “Moosehead” you mean Moosehead Lager in the green bottle (Moose Green) you should know that New Brunswickers don’t drink it much. It’s for export only. The No. 1 Moosehead lager out here is Alpine. The best selling Moosehead beer overall is probably Moose Light. Those three pretty much all taste the same. IMO the only Moosehead beer worth paying extra for is the Pale Ale (Moose Red). Moosehead Premium Dry is OK, but I think they only sell it in the Maritimes.

P.S. It upsets still very much that the Halifax team in the QMJHL is called the Mooseheads and not the team in Saint John.

• Mike D says:

If I had to pick one, it would be Heineken in a bottle. Stella, Boreale Blonde, and even Peroni (all in bottles) are close. A Corona can be great in the summer. I really like Chechvar in a can as well.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

While Prust is a nice addition to the team, he is a 3rd line player at best or an excellent 4th line forward. The kinds of player whom the Habs eventually need to add to this roster is a David Clarkson, Milan Lucic type player. Someone who can play in the top 6 and play a physical gritty game with panache.

Erik Cole and Max Pac are big forwards, but play an average physical game. This is not a knock on them, but they will provide contact when it presents itself but don’t go out of their way so much to make the big hits or really make their presence known.

This type of role can also be provided by a Defenceman. We have all talked ad nauseum how Tinordi projects to be that, but that is probably another season away at least.

Unfortunately for the Habs, when they fall behind on the scoreboard to a brutish styled team, this is when the physical style of play really starts to tilt. It allows other teams to give a knucklehead like McLaren or Orr extra shifts. If the Habs have a lead, those guys barely get off the bench.

I don’t this present Habs squad is going to be carrying leads in every game, thus the reason the team needs to have enough physicality to somewhat match up. Having Ryan White back in the lineup helps a little bit but really isn’t enough.

We shall see, but I don’t MB perceives his team the same way PG viewed the team and I suspect things will change over time. He just can’t overreact and give away key parts for short term gains.

• F50Marco says:

I agree but at the same time, Lucic and Clarkson are extremely rare commodities. The teams that have them don’t give them away easily. Vancouver picked up Kassian but from what i’ve seen he doesn’t match up to Lucic. He’s a good 2nd line rugged winger though. I honestly think people put a little too much into finding the next Lucic, rather slowly upgrading the teams toughness is probably easier. For every Gio or DD you got to have a bruiser that picks up the slack, not necessarily a Lucic but somebody who can help out.

56. commandant says:

Mick on the Isles/Bruins trade, and why this is cap floor circumvention.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• F50Marco says:

I believe nothing will become of it but i hope enough GM’s put up a stink about it and a rule be put into place to stop future deals like this.

I think it should be if Thomas doesn’t report in the next month than the deal would be null and void.

57. Marc10 says:

The way to beat the Leafs is pretty simple. You do what they do. You forecheck hard, you score to put them on the back foot and you target their best players – especially the hot heads like Grabo and Phaneuf.

Score 2, give them a steady diet of Gally, the Pest from the West, down low, get Phaneuf excited, and get Yemmy or Subbidoo to lay someone out. Job done.

58. F50Marco says:

To be honest, I’m less dissapointed with losing 6-0 than I am with HOW the game ended. Face it, they played better than us saturday night and we’ll be ready the next time we play them but when you get “beat up” as well, that just deflates the team and confidence plummets as a result. There needs to be a sense of push back at least from a physical stand point to say “we lost the game but we didn’t go down without a fight” – no pun intended.

On the whole Boyle trade idea, i think he is a worthy asset in more than one way. Faceoffs is key. He’s good at the dot and that will help big time. He can score goals. Not a 50 goals scorer but he can pot more than Orr can. Size/toughness, he may not be the best fighter but with his size he isn’t a push over neither. He might not have destroyed Mclaren but i highly doubt “ugly-face” Frazer would of been laughing. Aside from fighting just having a guy that size can make a difference in front of the net, battling in the corners and landing some solid hits not to mention he’s buds with Prust. If the price isn’t to high i would definitely pick him up!

Someone else mentioned this earlier, but I was far more upset at what Orr did to Plex than what Grabo did. Not to absolve the bite, but those scrums a crapshow anyhow. Orr just about ended the season early for Plex and that had intent written all over it.

• Whatever says:

I agree. But, the league doesn’t discipline for intent. If they did, Chara would have received a life time suspension. Guess you can’t rely on the league to protect your players.

No we no longer can. I have never been a proponent for fighters etc… but it appears we are back in the wild west and frontier justice is all that matters.

• FlyAngler says:

Orr was not guilty merely of intent. He did in fact make contact with Plekanec and any risk of grave injury was only mitigated by Plekanec’s maneuver at the last minute after being warned by his teammates. The failure of the officials to call a penalty on the play and the Department of Player Safety’s failure to even discuss it let alone address it says to me that Hockey Operations is a complete and utter farce and a disgrace. Way too many connections to Toronto and Boston- Murphy former Leaf coach, Campbell Leaf GM wannabe and father of a Bruins player, Shanahan, Ontario native living in Boston in the front yard of Bruins owner and Chair of the NHL’s Board of Governor’s, Jeremy Jacobs. Oh yes and let’s not forget that our friend and Habs nemesis Tim Peel is a Toronto boy as well. LOL!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

60. Marc10 says:

Cole texted his teammates to say that he was going to play better and ‘asked them to do the same…’

Me thinks somebody got a talking to and wasn’t happy with what he heard. FYI to Cole: There are quite a few players that have shown up this year and having some ill-prepared, slow out of the gate vet call them out is pretty rich.

Cole has more upside than most on this team. He’s also has a big contract to prove it. Now’s the time to earn it. Let the others worry about their game, eh.

61. nickster13 says:

Don’t need more toughness up front. If anything, we need a guy who can put the puck in the net, and not at a goalie’s crest.

What we really need is a bigger, tougher defenseman. Still miss the Wiz, stands up for his teammates, AND could run the PP. I’ll take at least the physical presence and stand-up nature at this point

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

62. frontenac1 says:

@Burly. Sounds like you had a somewhat stressfull time at your local Saloon in the heart of the enemy last Sat.Good on Ya Amigo! I would be honoured to roll with you any time.

63. dorvalhabsfan says:

Whats more important for the habs to get?

A player who plays 5 minutes, fights once then sits for the rest?
    OR
    A gritty player, who can hit, take a hit, go into the corners, to the net score a few here and there, and not Necessarily fight

Go Habs Go

• jols101 says:

Why not both. It is not like one tough guy is going to change the entire ‘soft, small and weak’ culture the Habs have had for the last 4 years. It will take a few key changes.

• Whatever says:

The most important is to get bigger as a team. Takes years of moves and drafting as long as the GM shares and sticks to that strategy.

The quickest, cheapest and easiest move is your first option.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I assume you mean by “not Necessarily fight” someone who will fight if need be. Moen is supposed to be this but is not doing the job. As for the fighter, why not? Better than Weber, Kaberle or Nokia who play 0 min/game.

With regards to trading for Brian Boyle here is a Ranger blogger discussing the idea of trading Boyle.

65. jols101 says:

Wonder when Bergevin will make his first trade as the Habs GM. He has some spare parts on D and up front. You would have to think he has the line in the water at this point. Probably not many takers for 5’8 – 5’10 bags of milk…

66. The Cat says:

The fact that Paciorreti whined to the ref instead of defending himself against a much smaller opponent is embarrassing. Its the Ole ole chant to blame, its turning the habs into whimpy soccer players.

• Marc10 says:

Grabo wasn’t going to drop the gloves, but I agree. There was an opportunity for him to lay a proper thumping on Grabo and drag another Leaf with him. Who knows… Maybe Grabo would be dumb enough to go. He is pretty fiesty with his stick, gloves and… teeth.

67. doogie says:

Feb 27th- Habs visit the Leafs. Revenge game. Anyone want to grab a “bite” before the game?

68. jols101 says:

Staubitz was great. He certainly would be no worse then Colby Armstrong on the fourth line.

And Staubitz certainly wasn’t a women, I really thing Armstrong might be.

69. frontenac1 says:

I miss Staubitz too. When things got boring ,you could always count on him to jump over the boards and start a good punch-up.(Which he would usually win). I have been watching that Anaheim team closely this year and he has been making his presence known. He has had some good scraps but unfortunatly was ejected from the last game for some deliquent behaviour.He speared a guy in the nuts. Poor bugger was down for a good 5 mins.

70. Mavid says:

real girls don’t bite either..only asshat’s bite..period

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Gregory Campbell got his clock utterly cleaned in a fight last night. And he got an extra 2 for instigating.

Not all doom and gloom.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

72. habsnyc says:

Habs lost 6-0. Has nothing to do with fighting and everything to do with playing. You think Prust made it better? He was one of the reasons it got out of hand. Maybe if Emelin was flattening Kadri instead of the other way around, the game would not have lost integrity. Why is Prust spending 15 minutes of the third period in the box? Doesn’t he realize with the game out of hand he needs to be on the ice, not engaging in useless fights? Fighthing when the game is out of hand is just stupid.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Phil C says:

“Fighting when the game is out of hand is just stupid.”

Exactly. In fact, I would call this a lack of mental toughness. Letting your personal frustration boil over. I know hockey is a passionate game, but the Habs have to show more toughness by not fighting sometimes.

73. bwoar says:

If a guy always takes the first 11 games off, can we pay him 87% of his salary? Or in this case, 77%?

Because Erik Cole gets mighty fired up when people try to hit him in the wallet.

“thoroughbred”