Therrien: Sens time-out with 17 seconds left “classless” (Video)

Gorgesweb

Coach Michel Therrien gave the Ottawa Senators credit for playing a good game in their lopsided 6-1 victory over the Canadiens that included nine game misconducts and 236 penalty minutes.  But he also took sharp exception to Senators coach Paul MacLean calling a time-out with 17 seconds left in game, something he said he’s never seen before.

“You let players dictate (the game). As a coach you never want to humiliate the other team. It’s exactly what MacLean wanted to do. For me it’s a total lack of class. Even when I mentioned it to the referee he had never seen that either at 17 seconds,” Therrien said.

“Whatever he’s going to say, it’s 6-1 with 17 seconds left.”

MacLean defended the time-out, rhyming off three penalties called against the Canadiens in the last few minutes of the game and saying his intent was to protect his players.

“I had 10 players left on my bench,” MacLean said.

“I put them on the ice. And I didn’t know what was going to happen next. I felt bad for the referees. But they wouldn’t let me bring my players back to the bench so I could tell them what I wanted them to do. So my only recourse was to take the time-out because I didn’t want anyone to get hurt. It was already getting dumb enough as it was.”

“So in order to protect my players under circumstances that were instigated by the Montreal Canadiens I was forced to protect my players and I will do that every time,” MacLean said.

The Canadiens made some key mistakes and then let things slip away,  Canadiens’ defenceman Josh Gorges said after the game.

“We can be mad at them all we want. But after we made a couple of mistakes and got down I think we didn’t respond the right way,” Gorges said. “In the playoffs, at this time of year, we can’t lose our cool and I thought for a stretch there in the third, we lost our heads.”

You can hear more of what Gorges had to say after the game below:

You can hear what Canadiens’ captain Brian Gionta had to say after the game below:

And you can hear what Max Pacioretty had to say below:

1. HABZ24 says:

Sit out ryder hes doing bugger all

2. Brad says:

You guys are always whining about something. You think in the heat of battle MacClean is giving any thought to humiliating the opponent? The score board and results of the line-brawl already accomplished that!
    Coaches never want to provide any additional motivation for their opponent. Therrien is just trying to light-a-fire under the backsides of his team.

3. Michael says:

In game 6, when the Habs are up by several goals and seconds away from handshakes, I hope Therrien takes a time out.

4. MacHabFan says:

Max Pacioretty is invisible and has been for too long.

Last night was set up early in the evening with a total lack of disciplined play and control of emotions. Our game plan was left in the dressing room.

When we don’t use our speed and the ‘pack’ mentality, and rely on stretch passes and Hail Mary lobs passes into the neutral zone – the penalties soon follow. Then our game deteriorates into stupid selfish penalties and the death spiral is set.

We cannot win games relying on the gallant efforts of a few – PK, Gallagher, Pleks.

We do not have a plethora of offensive talent. And with the loss of Eller, Emelin and a lot of ‘no shows’, this will be a quick exit from the playoffs. But, a good lesson.

Go Habs!

5. Peter Young says:

When was the last time supposed power forward Max Pacioretty went to the net, like Rene Bourque does consistently? I don’t care whether his timidity is the result of where his head is at or the product of injury, he ought not to be playing if he can’t contribute a lot more than he has thus far. MT ought to sit him until he is mentally and/or physically fit.

It’s no wonder P.K. Subban called him out. I, too, would have preferred P.K. do it in private. But it was an entirely understandable reaction to what was happening, borne of sheer frustration. There’s P.K., cross-checked and upended several times without an official’s peep, giving his all, as usual, and then there’s pretty boy Max, steering clear of trouble all night, contributing nothing, then making a pass to P.K. that endangered him. Just too much to stand for P.K.

Players who are not performing are proper subjects for criticism, even by the fans, whether or not they are turnstile fodder. Pacioretty is not the only one not paying his way, of course, but he is the most prominent of them.

The injury to Eller has thrust Galchenyuk into a role he is not yet equipped to play. Centres bear much more defensive responsibility than do wingers. With Desharnais not performing and Plekanec fairly quiet, the Habs were bereft of a centre ice presence, certainly of a strong centre ice presence.

• habsmanagementzero says:

HEY PETER YOUNG
      Things to do TO HELP CANADIENS WIN!
      1)Pacioretty is playing hurt.He probably should not have played.
      2)PK needs to go to the net.He can do it.Make plays to bust PK lose.
      3)Price must not play.Start Budaj!!(KEY)
      4)Get the puck to Ryder in the high slot.
      5) The Canadiens need coaching help to break down the Senators defense.I am available.I made a career out of it.
      6)Need to protect Gallagher
      7)Tinordi should pump iron tonight.Need more strength to crunch some senators
      8)Avenge Eller.Win for Eller.
      9)Better to die a hero than a Coward.
      10)Use big players from Hamilton more.Control the boards in the offensive end.
      11)Stand up at our blue line more.Cut down the senators space and thus time.
      12)Do not get caught deep.Be smart about the forecheck.

6. NLhabsfan says:

What low life remark by that scum sucking pig.I hope this inspires the HABS to play smart hockey against a team that has no real class.

7. Frank2468 says:

Well tonights lose was a team effort, but the second goal on Price was very stoppable. You could feel from the players it was like oh oh he’s having an off night. And then the big banana on the third goal I thought my whoopie cushion exploded but it was the air coming out of the team. They seem to play with waiting for the other shoe to drop when Price is in net. I tell you I thought I heard the foundation crack when the shoe hit the floor. Sorry folks but the money goalie plays for the Senators. Solid again tonight and we can blame our D and forwards all we want the Senators haven’t had an easy season either but manage to win with top players out. So whats the difference? Well I ‘ll leave that up to everyone else to come to their own decision. Prices record before this series started was 8 and 16 now thats impressive!! Prices knows that there is a lot of pressure for him to win this series for obvious reasons. You can’t expect him to play lights out every game but he has to be able to steal a game here and there when the teams play is awful. I don’t know maybe it’s to much pressure for him to play in Montreal? But I feel that organization is giving him so much latitude cause they feel he is the franchise player. Also think of it this way the Habs could be thinking well we drafted him in the first round 5th over all. Look at his junior stats impressive so lets not give up on him to fast but its been 6 years. And the Habs could be thinking if we deal him he could turn out to play lights out for another team, so maybe hence caught between a rock and hard place maybe?

• habsmanagementzero says:

HEY FRANK2468
      Price has NEVER,EVER in 6 years shown that he is even REMOTELY CLOSE to being a franchise goalie.The goalie is the MOST IMPORTANT player in the playoffs.Statistically he has a losing record in the playoffs.Hehas,this year the 35th best save %.Anderson is #1. Unless Price is benched and like I mean NOW.It will be over in 5.Thats reality.

8. Peter Young says:

The team needs to watch Revenge of the Nerds for ideas and motivation for the next game. Seriously, we need brains–cool heads– since we don’t have enough brawn. I’m hoping MT earns his money over the next couple of days and figures out how best to respond to thuggery and how to get the team disciplined enough to follow his game plan. He’ll have to do some morale-boosting, too.

• habsmanagementzero says:

It s better to die a hero than die a coward.The habs showed heart.We just need a real goalie.PLAY BUDAJ THERRIEN.Make him the 3rd goalie that Price loses his job to…or Im afarid to say this will be over in 5……Im NEVER wrong.

• Peter Young says:

I’d love to be there to see you crash, oh one who is never wrong. By the way, for what it’s worth, I think it’s better that the Canadiens not die at all.

• habsmanagementzero says:

Pacioretty is obviously playing hurt.Gionta too although not as bad.Canadiens need to start a goon to protect Gallagher…simple as that.Also punching the fat walrus in the face would be a fun idea too! He deserves at least one shot!

9. ccs says:

Obviously this was not the way any of us wanted this game to go. I still have faith that the good guys can win this series, we have a better team than what showed tonight. I am proud of the guys who showed up and gave a good effort. I know that the next game will be much better and after the Eller hit in game 1 we all knew that there would be a blow up sooner or later.

I am hoping there will be some tweaking of the line up for game 4. Halpren needs to be inserted as he played a heck of a game and is super on the face offs, and pretty good defensively too. I would sit DD because I think he needs to watch the game from the stands and hopefully it can jump start him. I think I am OK if Budaj plays instead of Price, not that I think this loss in on Price but I think our back up who has been very solid all year can get us a win. Also for some reason the team plays a better sound game in our end with Budaj in goal?

The loss of Emelin was huge as is the loss of Eller who I feel would have had a damn good series. Its up to the guys now to get back to work and figure out a way to win the next game. I know I will be watching and cheering for the good guys.

• habsmanagementzero says:

HEY CCS
      “Also for some reason the team plays a better sound game in our end with Budaj in goal?”

The reason..Gee its really tough to say but..how about the fact that BUdaj stops pucks,is a winning goalie,is square to the shooter,has faster reflexes,and is statistically better.Other than those minor facts…no reasons.

• ccs says:

Budaj has certainly played great this year and is deserving of his contract extension…..unlike another player who was extended FOUR MORE YEARS.

10. fastfreddy says:

Sit DD, Paccioretty, Armstrong, Moen, Diaz, play some of those black aces players instead; what’s the dif? The guys mentioned above aren’t getting it done!

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

11. Whatever says:

Some players on the Habs are making Bergevin’s job easier. Whomever doesn’t show up for the next game, after last night’s game (thanks again), should be dealt or at least dealt with.

A lost game in the playoffs is a lost game. IMO, far better to lose a game like that than to lose a tough hard fought OT to a hot goalie.

12. arrow says:

Time to prepare for Game 4, forget this one and move on! If they play as a team and really want to WIN, they can! I BELIEVE!
    GO HABS GO!
    PK

13. Storman says:

The sharks are putting on a senator type beatdown

14. Propwash says:

Dafuq happened out there? Had a family get-together, and I come back to this???

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

15. Kooch7800 says:

I think Hab fans could learn a lot from the Vancouver Canucks. They have mad Luongo the scape goat for the last few seasons and it is quite obvious the problem isn’t him….

see tonight’s game as an example. They have bigger issues than just their goalie.

The habs need better D which they have covered in the draft but the results are not instant. We also need scoring in a bad way but we don’t have any big help coming any time soon. Will need to be address with free agency

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

The future is certainly bright but Bergevin’s going to have to pull some rabbits out of his hat to exchange some of our skilled scoring prospects for some rugged scoring prospects moving forward.

• Chuck says:

Yep… when in doubt, blame the goalie.

_______________________________
      X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• habsmanagementzero says:

The goalie is the key to winning in the playoffs! He is both the starter and relief pitcher!!!
      DEAL IN REALITY!!! PRICE is the focal point of Canadiens playoff failure in THIS ROUND!!! Not the Defense!.We have a better defense than Ottawa.
      1) He has a large LOSING PLAYOFF RECORD(8-17)
      2)Hasnt won a series in 6 years
      3)Gave Ottawa 4 easy goals and the game in GAME 1-One game is crucial in a 4 win series!!
      4)Gives up easy goals EVERY GAME
      5)Flops like a fish,slow glove hand,not NHL reflexes like Anderson or any other NHL Goalie
      6)Lost his job to 2 other goalies
      7) HAS NEVER won a playoff game by himself with a great exhibition(like Anderson in game1)
      8)STATISTICS NEVER LIE!…PEOPLE however do!Price is a slightly to markedly below average NHL goalie.After 6 years he is NOT going to morph into Patrick Roy.WAKE UP!! HELOOOW!!! He is 35th best in save percentage!!!
      9)ONLY chance to win series is to bench PRICE! The evil spirt that makes the Canadiens play price will continue to make him appear great to Canadiens management…Or mayby Bob Gainey still is the secret gm!!!

• Whatever says:

The goalie is certainly the key to whining.

• Kooch7800 says:

The habs didn’t show up and match the compete of the Sens and didn’t deserve to win. Price hasn’t been stellar in the last two but you can’t win with one goal.

We need to play better as a team.

See how well it is doing for the Canucks in blaming their goalie

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

16. Chuck says:

Looks like Vancouver’s ‘window’ is closing fast.

_______________________________
    X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

17. ooder says:

as for Price the loss was not on him but he was far from great.. the second goal was tough but stoppable.
    the third goal was a joke

• fastfreddy says:

Why was Paccioretty and Gionta playing, especially if they were hurt, cause they were awful tonight, invisible.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• habsmanagementzero says:

HEY OODER
      Why do you think The habs keep playing PRICE game in and game out when he obviously is not an Elite goalie,and barely an NHL goalie.What do they see in this 35th best (statistically) goalie??
      Am I missing something?? HE just does not have it.ITS OBVIOUS to every fan except the coach.

18. Loonie says:

Well, The Canucks are unofficially looking for a new head coach.

19. Max says:

Schneider is playing like Price tonight.

20. habs1992 says:

Also you guys may say im picking on DD, but the guy is simply put TERRIBLE, he is not an NHL’er whoever says he had a good game last game is clueless, 1 assist hides 20 minutes of bad play lol

I support Carey Price

21. DorvalTony says:

The last days of Scarey Price in Montreal. M’enfin estie!!

22. Kooch7800 says:

MT looked like he was going to cry out there in the presser. Suck it up man. The habs can beat this team but we need to play our game and not theirs.

Make some line up changes. We will need to make some roster moves in the off season.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

23. Coherent says:

Take it like a man. The better team won and the Habs will not win this series. call me what you want. I said the Habs will be gone in 6 or 7 and I’ll be right.

We can’t put the puck in and we can’t keep the puck out. Is that so hard for anyone who knows hockey to figure out.

Write this down. Ottawa will be going to the finals against Chicago.

Not going to discuss the Habs. Too many Holes.

24. Chuck says:

The person who I REALLY feel sorry for is Boone, what has to write an ALN about that mess.

_______________________________
    X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

25. habs1992 says:

I think this is great that Mclean called a timeout, it will just help us out for the next game, they keep adding extra fuel to the fire, i still think we win in 6

I support Carey Price

26. therealrocky says:

if you think you have it bad i live in ottawa gonna be fun going to work tomorrow … not

27. habs_54321 says:

cant’t really BLAME this loss on price but he certainly didn’t help, his third period was anything but elite goalie worthy

bottom line is we outshoot ottawa 34-30 and lose 6-1, price .800% anderson .970%

• Lafrich says:

Hear hear.

• Whatever says:

Price sucked. Team sucked more.

• habsmanagementzero says:

COME ON!! CAREY IS GREAT. JUst ignore the fact that
      1) He has a large LOSING PLAYOFF RECORD(8-17)
      2)Hasnt won a series in 6 years
      3)Gave Ottawa 4 easy goals and the game in GAME 1
      4)Gives up easy goals EVERY GAME
      6)Lost his job to 2 other goalies
      8)STATISTICS NEVER LIE!…PEOPLE however do!Price is a slightly to markedly below average NHL goalie.After 6 years he is NOT to morph into Patrick Roy.WAKE UP!! HELOOOW!!! He is 35th best in save percentage!!!

28. SlovakHab says:

Do not want on the next year’s team:

Desharnais, Ryder, Gorges, Moen and obviously Kaberle & Weber.

Needed: Size and decent skill on the wings a la Clarkson/Bickell/Clowe.
    Size and simple game on defence with experience (Methot was a great Ottawa pickup)

Can keep Gorges and Moen if reinforcements on free agent market are not available…

But the season after, it’s time for Gionta to be gone.

OMG I can’t stand Desharnais since he appeared in Habs jersey…

• fastfreddy says:

I’m with you Slovakhab. Get rid of those players. Moen and ARMSTRONG serve no purpose, and I can’t see what MB saw i DD to give him 4 years. He hadn’t proven anything yet, what was the rush?

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

…no reporter with the moxie to ask what was said (or bellowed) between Patches and P.K. :(

• Loonie says:

Subban : “WAKE THE F UP OUT THERE MAX FOR F SAKES. THAT B’CRAP PASS INTO MY F’IN FEET NEARLY LEAD TO MY F’IN HEAD BEING TAKEN OFF. GET YOUR F’IN HEAD IN THE GAME AND LET’S F’IN GO.

Pacioretty : K

• habstrinifan says:

Dont get me going on the reporters who cover the HABS Habitant…. including (sadly) some HIO stalwarts. It’s as if they have to protect access… which they probably do seeing that the HABS are the only game in town.

30. habs1992 says:

“It was a lack of respek” we have neros, it is not the 70s, 80s, 90,s”

I support Carey Price

31. Whatever says:

Last week and this week I am working on nights. This was possibly the only game I’ll get to see my beloved team play.

Thanks Habs. That…was….uh…fun. Getting really drunk now.

The good news is they play far better when I don’t get to watch with anticipated excitement. Just think how many Cups we would win if I were dead.

32. Roy93 says:

Who cares they suck! This series is over. Blown out 6-1 is a disaster.
    Price never bounces back after blow outs. Correct me if I’m wrong but he usually responds with another blow out right after lol. He’s just garbage and so inconsistent

• Whatever says:

Far better to lose like that than a hard fought OT.

If as a player you don’t get up for the next game after that kind of game, then start applying to Walmart.

33. Storman says:

u guys tried to give me the slip. i am not finished decompressing fellow hab niuts,, where the hell is timo

34. Sportfan says:

Kyle Turris is also a Moron and was glad to see PK beat him. The way I saw this game was after the 3rd goal the team and Price lost all there confidence it was like being down by 2 goals was impossible and that was it.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. Sportfan says:

That 17 second time out was such bs Mclean is such a d-bag hope that bites him in the ass. He didn’t learn much under Babcock

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

36. Marc10 says:

Well that escalated quickly. That really got out of hand fast…

37. Habfan4lfe says:

senators are a classless team. referees in this game were a total disgrace. the NHL is a disgrace. how they can constantly come up with refs year after year who are completely useless tells me that people calling this a bush league are right.

38. Mr. Biter says: