Therrien puts end to Subban-Price post-game celebration

P.K. Subban  is back with the Canadiens, but his triple low-five, post-game victory celebration with goaltender Carey Price is history.

Coach Michel Therrien confirmed after practice Friday that he has outlawed the move because it doesn’t fit with his team-first philosophy. Therrien said the entire team will mark victories by raising their sticks and saluting the fans.

“I always like teams that are humble,” Therrien told reporters after practice. “And it’s a team concept. It’s starts with that. In life I think you have to be humble. And we have to respect the game. We have to respect the other team. And we have to respect our fans. And the way we decided to celebrate this year when we win a hockey game at the Bell Centre is to at least to salute their fans. They deserve it.”

Subban said he’s starting to get more familiar with Therrien’s new system as he watches videotape and is on the ice with the coaches.

“Obviously, I’ve been extremly anxious for a long time to get back on the ice,” Subban said. “I was talking to (teammate Brandon Prust) today about how good I felt out there and just to be back on the ice.

“I think that we’ve got a great opportunity this year,” Subban added. “It’s a shortened season. It’s anybody season to really go out and make the best of it. It’s a sprint. It’s not a marathon. So the quicker I can get back on the ice and feeling good and being a part of the team, the better off I’m going to be.”

Therrien wouldn’t confirm if Subban would be in the lineup Saturday at the Bell Centre against the Buffalo Sabres (2 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

“You can practise game situations, but being in a game is different,” Therrien said. “You can’t just say: ‘He’s a good athlete, let’s throw him out there.’ It doesn’t happen like that.

“We’ll make the decision on what’s best for the team and what’s best for the return of a defenceman.”

(Photo by Peter McCabe/The Gazette)

1. DMAN says:

Therrien is not stupid……He will make it as hard as possible for Buffalo to prepare for them…..they don’t know which D they will get.

• LizardKing12 says:

Right….because the Buffalo Sabres are losing a lot of sleep over potentially facing Tomas Kaberle! If they are doing any specific game planning you better believe that whether or not it is confirmed that PK is in the line-up he is one of the main focuses of said game planning. PK is a dynamic game changing talent, Kaberle is a scrub that nobody cares about. Whether Therrien out right says PK is playing or not buffalo will devote time to preparing for him

2. CynicalHabsfan says:

My boss, a bruins fan, said to me wednesday morning: “fans in this town are ridiculous. You win four in a row and they’re planning the stanley cup parade. But watch- they lose a game or two and everyone’s gonna want the coach fired.”

And so last night I met a guy who wants MT fired, saying he shouldn’t have started budaj against ottawa and that his handling of PK is going to ruin morale. Sigh.

Deep breath, everyone. Let’s wait til PK actually plays a few games before we decide that therrien has mishandled him.

3. AngryHabsFan says:

Coach has bigger things to worry about than some celebrations. C’mon people, focus!

4. drail222 says:

All I can say is this guy better be on the ice tommorow. Ah yes you can put an athlete right back on the ice MT, its hockey, hes played it all his life..hasnt changed a ton lol I’m sure he’ll pick up the difficult “system” of play hard pretty quick, he did it all last season for 28 mins a game.. I hope he pots 2 ginos and they low five after the win for spite. PLAY SUBBAN NOW!

5. sc says:

The low five stuff is just stupid and childish first of all. And it excludes the rest of the team. I think that’s what MT means, but communicating effectively in English isn’t exactly his strong suit

6. montrealtilldeath says:

MT really screwed this up. This BS reminded me of the movie Django when every one was shocked at the picture of Django riding a horse. Culturally unacceptable. All this anti PK BS. How do we know the low 5 was his idea in the first place and not Price’s. It should have been handled behind closed doors as a team building issue. I know the TSN commentator who said “play white” imstead of “play right” is not a racist but the image of what is proper to him was in his subconcious mind and came out. PK is not white he is young and black and some things are culturally different in those two areas. Bumping heads has been done for years in the NHL but these celebratory rituals were not written by a Divine Hand on Mt Sinai. Things change.Players wear helmets now. In the old days they were considered cowards for doing so. MT has opened up an incredible can of worms with this. This will go viral in the US media and will end badly. More questioning which will upset the team more. PK is a man not a boy. Nobody commenting on this site would put up with “I am going to make you a better man” BS.
    MT crossed the line with this step. Are they going to publish a list now of what is appropriate? Should Bobby Orr have jumped through the air when he scored the Stanley Cup winning goal? As for all you folks harping on team building remember what Price went through when he lost the starting job to Halak> The following tear when he was starting as the number one for the Habs he was under a cloud of uncertainly with flak from some of his team mates and I can name some of them who are your darlings now including a man with a reconstructed knee and a certain centre from central Europe. One man who stood by Carey and helped build him up again though all of this was one Pernell Subban. I believe that is when the high low fives ritualbegan. It helped rebuild his confidence. Interesting.

7. Marc10 says:

Can’t wait to see PK back this weekend. I heard that Kabs was pretty pissed at losing his spot… That would make him one of three. I imagine Mrs Kabs and his agent aren’t thrilled either.

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

9. wall2bay says:

So let me get this straight….the low 5s are in some way “disrespecting” the fans not “humble” or “team” oriented…..but they’ll so the 3 stars and let each player do a victory lap by himself?

This is purely targeting Subban with some possible racial undertones!

10. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

The triple low 5 is cool, its stupid to ask to stop a winning tradition that does absoultuly no harm

11. BK says:

If they want to change the players maybe the club should look at how they handled Cammy. It is classless what they are doing to PK he is in the top 3 on this D core. No one is in perfect shape in a lock out year, I am starting to become a hater. Play the best players you have you fool.

Time for changes

12. Bun E. Laroque says:

Seems reasonable if only to differentiate between last season (not good) and the current one (hopefully much better). It always seemed a little forced. It doesn’t mean no passionate celebrations (I hope).

13. frontenac1 says:

Two months ago I bought tickets to this Sunday game Sting vs Frontenacs for me and a couple of buddies. They asked why Sarnia? I said Yakupov and Galchenyuk will be playing. Jeeze did I get the gears today at the Saloon! Ah Fu*k it! Go Habs and Go Niners! Saludos Amigos!

• BK says:

I live in London so I got to go watch Alex a few time this season he was so much better than everyone else on the ice. I cant believe you actually thought Nail would be in Sarnia this year.

Time for changes

14. twilighthours says:

I’m hitting the hay… but new thread is up.

15. Phil C says:

The discussion on here tonight shows the danger of allowing a losing culture into an organization. The Habs have been losing for so long, that we have a bunch of fans worried about losing a little theatre on the side instead of embracing a coach who is trying to instill a team culture, the type of culture that leads to championships.

We have another bunch of fans who have already decided that Therrien is bad, so that everything he does is filtered through this prejudice. The result is that the worst possible interpretation of his actions is always assumed. Instead of saying that it’s nice to finally have a coach who cares about the players on and off the ice, they say Therrien is trying to break PK.

Defensemen like PK are what keep coaches employed. Therrien will do everything he can to get the most out of him, not run him out of town. We are not talking about a rookie coach here, this is a guy who dealt with Malkin and Crosby as young players coming into the league. It is safe to say they turned out all right. Subban is lucky to have such a coach.

But I guess I can’t blame you, the triple high-five was one of the highlights of last season, so in that sense it is sad to see it gone. But I still remember what it’s like to watch them win, and I would rather watch that again instead.

16. Bill says:

Here’s a gif for everyone who loves a celebrating Hab:

Full Breezer 4 Life

17. Dunboyne Mike says:

Furthermore, we must accept that it is Bergevin’s call, as chief bean-counter, and not Therrien’s.

It is purely a financial matter and therefore the domain of the GM. With the current rate of inflation, the PK/Price triple low five can be projected to become, by the middle of next season, a quadruple low 6.4, and a staggering septuple 9.1 by 2015-2016.

The anatomical implications — even for elite athletes — are enormous, plus Bettman has announced plans for a cap, a cap which PK and Price would exceed entirely on their own, allowing no cap space for any other kind of 5s — even with referees — across the team.

So Bill, I think we both know you need to take back most of what you reported from the interview, and everyone else needs a wake-up call as to how hard management is working behind the scenes on issues we can’t even imagine, all us armchair GMs.

18. Danno says:

When asked about the possibility of PK Subban playing tomorrow, Michele Therien replied:

“A defenceman” ??? WTF?

He has a name you know…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• twilighthours says:

You know, if MB and MT really, truly believe they need to improve PK the person, so be it. Fine. But all this public thrashing is just so counterproductive.

Bill wrote an excellent treatise on this topic on a previous page. And someone else said that it’s time for someone (teammate, MT, MB) to go to bat for this kid.

As Ed said, it’s as important to keep him happy as it is to keep him humble (if that’s important – I’m not conceding that point).

19. munEEE says:

In other news, Gally27 and Gally73 have incorporated the Double Gally Hi 5!! MT’s response was, “It’s alright cause it’s ALL WHITE!!”

20. Dunboyne Mike says:

The Canadian Press website has just posted that in fact, earlier this year, PK and Carey got engaged.

Now, doesn’t THAT put the whole triple low five thing in a completely new perspective?
    We MUST NOT blame Therrien for what now looks like his insensitive handling of this much larger matter. I mean, how was the poor man to know?

21. junyab says:

Wow, what a ridiculous move by Therrien. It’s infuriating to me. So I guess Eric Cole can’t express his appreciation to DD for a good pass for an easy tap with a hug and tap on the helmet – instead he must go to the bench, wait for his teammates, Price included, and perform a 23 man group hug; or forget hotel roommates, instead he’ll orchestrate a full team gymnasium sleepover.

• axxerd says:

Can’t agree more.

Plus, the whole salute of the fans is orchestrated and mandated by management. At least the low 5s were unique.

—-
      Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

22. ABHabsfan says:

This idea that MT wants to improve PK as a person, I find this curious to say the least. What qualifications does MT possess for this improvement? Is this what he was hired to do? Are there no other players that require this personal improvement and are they somewhat jealous that PK will garner this extra attention?
    Michel Terrien should coach the team and improve PK the player along with the other 22 players in his charge. It would seem so far that he is doing a decent job of getting wins and fostering a winning and positive atmosphere around the team and for that he should get a firm pat on the back(if that is permitted).
    MT should keep to coaching and leave the personal improvement of a man to his family, his friends and himself. This story of banning the low-5 has little to do with a silly little ritual that either player could likely care less about, and more to do with a coach who, it would seem, feels the need to save PK and perhaps other players from the scourge of self-expression. And also needs to let it be known that he bans things.
    M. Terrien: keep the PP clicking, the PK effective and match lines to the best of the Habs advantage; but the leave the personal betterment to the men themselves; or Dr. Phil

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Don Carnage says:

I am sure if MT steps out of line MB will show him the door, I bet MB is well aware of what MT wants to do and I am sure the group of leaders in the room has told MT what he needs to know about what and who. I really hope PK can settle into the team . He is a work in progress

• ABHabsfan says:

As fans I think we all want PK to settle into the team and hopefully we can see some long-awaited success. It just strikes me that PK may not be the only one who may be a little big for his britches

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Danno says:

For sure there are others who are too big for their britches. Furthermore, Kaberle is way too big for that miniature stick of his

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Nina76 says:

Great post ABHabsfan I agree that PK does have to tone down some but I agree that there are some players that are jealous of the attention he gets from the fans MB can calm him down to a certain extent but MB will never take it all away from him , that is the way he is so people on here have to accept it…………..I love it but just a little less . Let’s keep some fun in the game. I BELIEVE, GO HABS!!!!!!!

23. Don Carnage says:

I was listening to team990 tonight and they were talking about PK asking each other what they thought was behind what Gorges and Markov had said about PK being back and they all agreed that where there is smoke there is fire and that if Markov or Georges wanted to nip it in the bud they both as veterans could have simply said oh we are glad PK is back and it would have ended, but NEITHER one saw fit to nip it in the BUD knowing all to well here in Montreal we would see the message they wanted to put forward, Bergevin and Therrien are both on the same page and so are the OLDER guys PK has great RAW talent but needs to do some serious growing up and I am sure this is all part of the plan , he has 2 years to fit in and put the team first if not he will be shipped off simple as that.

• ZepFan2 says:

Zzzzz….

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• twilighthours says:

Totally. This gets posted over and over by Mr Carnage.

• Don Carnage says:

Not true this was tonight on TSN990 the fact that is says there is an issue with PK in the room remains true , I moved the post up higher because at first it was a reply, BUT fact remains Markov and Gorges did not say they were happy PK was back not one of the core group of players tweeted PK to say hey glad your back

• B says:

Maybe the mean coach took away their tweeters?

–Go Habs Go!–

• ZepFan2 says:

And they didn’t complain that he’s back either.

“where there is smoke there is fire”

If they know for a fact something’s wrong say it. Otherwise they should STFU.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Nina76 says:

twilighthours……….. I agree the media is bad for reapeating the same thing over & over again. I listen to 690 the same PK talk goes on all day it is stupid. Let’s move on give PK a chance he is a good player we need him & I hope everyone on the team gets behind him it is important for him to be envolved with ALL the team players……….INCLUDING THE VETERANS