Therrien: “I’m convinced we’ll be ready for the playoffs” (Video)

Gorgesweb

After the Canadiens loss to the Washington Capitals coach Michel Therrien said he was disappointed with ‘every aspect’ of the Canadiens’ game.  But Therrien also said he’s convinced the team will be primed for post-season play.

His responsibility as coach is to make sure they’re ready for the playoffs, Therrien said after the Canadiens fourth loss in five games.  They have a week left in the regular season with three games “and I’m convinced we’ll be ready for the playoffs,” he said.

Asked what he wants to work on, Therrien said: “Obviously if we give up five, six goals a game, we’ve got to focus on our defensive game.”

“I’m disappointed about every aspect of our game–five on five, penalty killing, power play.”

The Canadiens aren’t playing the tight checking game that they’ve played for most of the season, said defenceman Josh Gorges.

“We have to get back to playing that tight five-man unit,” he said.

“You can talk about Xs and Os and execution and systems–we were soft,” Gorges said.

“When you get beat off pucks, beat out of the corners, we’re loose on our coverage, we’re not picking up the right guys. That’s why it looks like the execution is not there.”

Gorges also defended teammate Carey Price who was subjected to some sarcastic cheers on Saturday.

“I’ve never understood that. In your home building… He’s been outstanding for us, for years. And this isn’t on him. You kidding me…This is on all of us,” Gorges said.

“He’s out there battling every night to be his best and we let him down. One or two goals I’m sure he might like to have back. But the rest is on the team. And for them to mock him, I don’t like that. It doesn’t help us. It doesn’t help him.

“I understand frustration. I understand people being upset. We’re upset, too. No one is happy with this. But mocking someone doesn’t help.”

You can hear more of what Gorges had to say after the game below:

You can hear what Canadiens’ captain Brian Gionta had to say below:

You can hear what Carey Price had to say below (you’ll need to turn up the volume):

You can hear what Canadiens’ defenceman Raphael Diaz had to say after the game below:

1. icky pop says:

MB should apologize for the team far exceeding any fans expectations on the year? And about the fraud players, should they be saying that they are playing fine? Or should they just not talk to the media when they are losing? That would make sense, considering the only time we want to hear from them is when they are winning.

2. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

These frauds especially Price are sounding like the Maple Leafs from the last couple of years with the cliche answers about ‘getting back to the fundamentals’, ‘needing to play harder’, ‘fighting for puck possession’, etc. Cut the crap you frauds. Just shut up and do it. Talk is cheap. You are all making millions to play and execute. Somebody tell Price he is the biggest fraud of the bunch. Bergevin should have brought in a veteran goalie from Europe or via trade or a young goalie like Tokarski to see what he is capable of instead of wasting time with Beaulieu and Tinordi. Kabs and Weber were in the wings to fill in on defense. The Habs will be out in 4 straight esp. against the Leafs or Caps or Rangers. These teams are in their groove. What a shambles and no top 5 pick to look forward to. Way to go Bergevin, even Prust is looking injured b/c he has no support. He cannot handle the likes of McClaren or Scott or Orr; those are true heavyweights and he’s a middleweight with a ton of heart. MB should get rid of Moen and he and the entire coaching staff should apologize to the fans at the end when it all turns to s-hit. Why is it that the coaches and management don’t shoulder a lot of the blame when things fall apart?

3. icky pop says:

I really have to stop reading the comments on this site. The whole season, everyone was on board with the team. Now we are in a funk, and barely anyone has their teams back. Gorges is right about mocking price. Sorry guys, but it isn’t helping anything to trash your team when they start to lose. How is price supposed to get his confidence back when everyone is saying he sucks? He’s playing poorly, and I’m sure price would be the first to admit it. But perhaps if we, the fans, give him our support, he will return to the 2.20, .920 goaltender he’s been all year. Rinne is having a bad year, and I doubt that he is taking as much grief as price does. Habs fans have this sense of entitlement that sickens me. No one would have thought we would be the third team in the league to nail down a playoff spot, but now that we have, we are expecting the cup. Show some support. Stop trashing your team at every turn. Constructive criticism is fine. But flat out bashing? Tell me you could perform with 20,000+ people booing you.

4. KDUDE says:

It seems like our “D’ needs a game off..Theres no jump from any of them.. I think fatigue is a major factor at least at this point anyway.
    I’m glad Diaz is back,,maybe we can get some of them a day off next week?? Go Habs Go!!

5. Bill says:

Way for Gorges to man up in the post game. No one has played worse than him lately, and he took total responsibility. Hope the other guys who have been mailing it in took notice. Need guys like him and Gionta to bring this group back together and start playing again.

• Habtastic says:

DID he take responsibility? Sounded like the same ol Gorges clip, they are interchangeable. “We need to…”. He just sighs a lot, looks concerned and acts like it’s actually equally everyone’s fault. I’m a big Gorges fan, but he’s pissing me off this year with his all talk, no walk. Raphy’s clip made me smile. Hard not to love that guy.

————–
      The Drive for 25

6. I’m not sure what to say. All you guys here were cheering this team on and Price and Subban were on his way to the Olympics, the Habs were in 1st and 2nd place most of the short season and now that our team has faltered and slumped all you dedicated fans are jumping off the wagon. Great job, I guess I’ll see you all back here after the next win eh? Pft support? Most you know nothing about support and winning a fight.

Lord you guys are depressing.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• The Dude says:

Blaming the fans for the team is like blaming the people for the acts of bad Government.

• Bill says:

In all fairness, most of the guys who are throwing tantrums right now were most definitely not here cheering the Habs on earlier. They come out strictly when the Habs lose. Well said as usual.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habilis says:

You know what the crazy part is? Because the Bruins are in a slump as well, we’re STILL in second place. Yet some of the posts are as tough the season is already over and the Habs are golfing. All this before game 1 of the playoffs.

The team is in a slump, they’re not falling out of playoff contention, they’re not down 3-0 in a playoff series. Plenty of time to get back to good.

I’m with you. It’s downright sad that some have such a negative outlook.

• Seps says:

I haven’t given up but we won’t win a single playoff game with a d-zone like that. We need Price to make big saves but we also can’t have so many missed assignments in our own end. It’s worrisome, these aren’t hard fought losses, we look disinterested at times.

• Habtastic says:

Please, back then Price and Subban (latter hasn’t been as bad as everyone else) WERE deserving of that consideration, and in reality, they still are, but strictly speaking of what’s going on now (which is what matters), it’s fans that are usually optimistic and defending the team (myself included) who are just calling it as it is. If you can’t see that this team has been playing like garbage, or if you think fake supporting them on a message board is going to help them, I dunno if you know much about winning a hockey game. Blind hate and blind adoration are not things we should aspire to profess. I think we all love this team and roster (some less than others), but want them to PLAY better.

————–
      The Drive for 25

7. The Dude says:

Yes Carey the group has to play better but it would take a lot of pressure off EVERYONE if you EARNED YOU SALARY of $6.5 million per and stop fk’n pucks . It’s not like the Habs couldn’t uses your money on the D ,eh!

8. frozengolf says:

First, again!

_________________________________________________________
    “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”