Therrien: Habs ‘deserved a better fate’ (Video)

budajweb

(File photo)

The Canadiens face potential elimination on home ice Thursday at the Bell Centre after losing in overtime to the Ottawa Senators

“We came to play and this is exactly what we did. We certainly deserved a better fate,” Coach Michel Therrien said after the Senators 3-2 victory Tuesday night at Scotiabank Place.

The win gives the Senators a 3-1 edge in the best-of-seven playoff series.

The Canadiens held a 2-0 lead heading into the third period. But Ottawa sent the game into overtime on goals by Mika Zibanejad and Cory Conacher, who scored with just seconds left in regulation.

“I thought we were pushing the pace and we didn’t give up many scoring chances,” Therrien said of the Canadiens’ play in the third period.

“The first goal opened up the door for them. It’s not supposed to happen like this, faceoffs…not at that level,” Therrien said.

What Therrien objected to was the location of a face off in the Canadiens’ end prior to Zibanejad’s goal, arguing it should have been on the left side not on the right. They would have sent different players onto the ice, Therrien said.

“Every detail counts in a game and I don’t understand why they decided to put the face-off on the right side when (Senators captain Daniel) Alfredsson shot the puck on our left side,” he said.

The team will keep doing what it always does well, Therrien said. The Canadiens have played three good games out of four, he said.

“We’re playing solid hockey in this series.”

Kyle Turris scored at 2.32 in overtime on Peter Budaj, the Canadiens’ back-up goaltender, who replaced an injured Carey Price in the overtime period. Price looked injured as he got up off the ice and skated off at the end of the third period.

Price has a lower-body injury. Brandon Prust, who went to the dressing room in the third period, has an upper-body injury, Therrien said.

You can listen to more of what Therrien had to say after the game.

And you can hear what Canadiens’ defenceman Josh Gorges had to say below:

1. issie74 says:

I don’t mind losing but I don’t want to lose because the refs do a bad job.

The is no continuity,Leafs have a center thrown out of the face off circle the night before,but Turris skates out of the circle twice and the refs let him come back,if anybody can explain that to me,have at it.

I don’t like making excuses by blaming the refs but I truly don’t understand it.

GO HABS!!!

NorthTOHab

2. louie74 says:

thurs lineup

ryder plek bourque
    pat dd gally
    chucky halpren moen
    armstrong dumont blunden

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what a fantastic season We are enjoying …last in Our division last season, first this season, and now the best is yet to come, like a phoenix rising from the ashes We are destined to take this series 4 out of 7 !

…I can FEEL it ! :)

4. Habtastic says:

If we still had Price and Prust, I would be looking for a 1-3 game 7 comeback. People really dump on Price when he made some fantastic saves this series. I love Budaj and I guess that’s who we’ll have to go with, but Prust…apart from it costing us the GTG (leaving the refs’ part in that out) – his injury combined with everyone else’s, MAYBE we win game 5 at home, but I’m not as optimistic about game 6 if we get there. Get it to 7 and we’ll see who’s back.

We CAN still win this series. The injuries are the only things bringing me down. (Diaz owes us about 4 goals.)

————–
    The Drive for 25

5. louie74 says:

feel bad for pk,gally,chucky,prust,rene,white,for playing with heart but the rest of the team are no shows

6. Frank2468 says:

I’m so disappointed to but I don’t know about anyone else but I’m getting tired of hearing well there’s always next year. Been hearing that now for 20 years. They did give a very good effort tonight except for when they let up on the gas in parts of the third. Should have know it would have turned out this way with Peel as one of the refs tonight. Can’t believe that first goal counted!!! Then taking the face off on the wrong side. Wow and these guys are supposed to be pros. That ref mistake is something you see at a pee wee game. Looks like Prust is out and so is Carey looks like groin or knee injury. Well I can’t believe I may actually be backing the Bruins next. I hate the Leafs and Pens and the Caps bug me to. OMG I just felt my dinner just come up with the thought. But after all the crap that has gone on in this series I am not going to back the sens for sure. MacLean was at it again tonight with his post game B.S. Saving I think Budaj is number 30 and thinks number 31 had a problem at the end of the game. What a peace of sh*t this guy is.

• The Jackal says:

He’s still mad that he was called a walrus

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• ari says:

what about islanders

• ianism says:

as ari said … or any western team? blues are a great gritty team that works hard and is doing well against an excellent LA team that may have forgotten to score but knows how to win. Chicago is a powerhouse and Detroit and Anaheim are good teams

been watching STL-LA this round and all the games have been great.

7. NLhabsfan says:

WELL I hope we can repeat with the same effort we had this series.Nothing to ashamed of..Sooner or later we will get a good bounce:)

8. louie74 says:

Tonight’s game was a real killer and this series should be 3-1 us instead of them.But it’s not over yet and we go back home for game 5 .

• habs1992 says:

‘Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world she took the midnight train going anywhere” Have another one, this is series is done. Good season though, 4 down

I support Carey Price

9. JarryPark says:

When the Sens scored their first goal the way they did, how many of you knew this was going to end badly?

I literally took shots of tequila until it hurt no more ( no mas)

When they tied it up, I told my wife lets go for dinner cuz I can’t bare to watch the inevitable.

At dinner I grabbed her iPhone and dropped in to HIO and sure enough I see Habs blow 2-0 lead and lose in OT.

I told the waiter to leave the bottle.

It’s better this way.

10. louie74 says:

Wow no luck what so ever. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good

11. The 25th cup says:

It was a bad loss. But i think Budja can keep us in this series. I still think this will go 7 games. I still got faith. It ain’t over until its 4 wins for the sens. Its going 7 games you hear the 25 cup call it here tonight. Go habs Go.

12. Gally365 says:

We can’t knock the team. There could be injuries we don’t know about. They gave us a good season. With a rebuild in place. We’re gonna be OK. Out with the old. In with the new.

This season is pretty much over. Let’s move on with the rebuild.

13. habs1992 says:

I must say as much as a great year it has been, it is always tough going out in the first round especially if it is 5 games, P.S journey makes it hurt even more but i kinda like the feeling. 2 beer down already. LOL getting hammered tonight Done college for the summer lol.

I support Carey Price

14. habs1992 says:

Im gonna go get drunk and listen to Journey, hopefully the pain will go away

I support Carey Price

15. Sportfan says:

Understatement Habs deserved better….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

16. habsfan0 says: