Therrien defends decision to cut Leblanc

Louis Leblanc was the main topic of conversation as the Canadiens’ training camp continued Wednesday in Brossard with head coach Michel Therrien defending the decision to include the 2009 first-round draft pick in the first group of players to be reassigned.

Leblanc, who was drafted 18th overall, was sent to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs following Monday’s 6-3 preseason loss to the Boston Bruins.

“He came into camp with a good attitude and he was in better shape, but we know Louis Leblanc and we wanted to get to know some of the other players better,” Therrien said.

Therrien mentioned Christian Thomas, who was acquired from the New York Rangers in the off-season, and Swede Sebastien Collberg, who will be heading back to Sweden if he doesn’t make it in the NHL.

Neither player was part of the main group at practice Wednesday as Therrien and his staff concentrated on the players who are expected to be on the roster on opening night against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Oct. 1 at the Bell Centre. But the coach said Thomas and Collberg will see some action this weekend as the Canadians play three preseason games in four nights, beginning Friday with a game against the Carolina Hurricanes in Quebec City.

The good news out of camp is that captain Brian Gionta has been cleared for contact. He was on the fifth line Wednesday with Michael Bournival and Martin St. Pierre.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens’ opening-night roster taking shape, by Pat Hickey

Markov reflects on his long journey from Moscow to Montreal, by Dave Stubbs

A Q&A session with Andrei Markov, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens turn to dynamic stretching, by Brenda Branswell

Maybe Leblanc should have stayed at Harvard, Stu on Sports blog

Photo gallery from Habs practice Wednesday, montrealgazette.com

Photo gallery from Canadiens’ dynamic off-ice stretching routine, montrealgazette.com

The importance of role players, Canadiens.com

Tour des Canadiens condo plan adds two buildings, montrealgazette.com

1. Old Bald Bird says:

Maybe we can get some of the inevitable injuries out of the way early this year and be healthy for the playoffs. The downside is that we might not get to the playoffs if we get too many injuries.

I wonder if hiring this guy as an Asst. Coach would help us with the referees.

3. Propwash says:

They’re just getting the injury bug out of the way early this year.

I hope…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

4. Habfan10912 says:

D-men pairings at practice: Markov – Diaz; Gorges – Subban; Tinordi – Pateryn; Deitz – Nygren; Price and (Subban) Budaj

5. Sportfan says:

Gotta feel bad for the Browns they traded by far their best player and running back yesterday. They have seven draft picks over the first four rounds, but wow that really sucks. As a Bengals fan I actually feel bad for that team.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

6. Habfan10912 says:

Hickey tweets the lines at practice: Bourque-Pleky-Prust, Pacioretty-Desharnais-Brière, Galls with Eller;, Moen-White-Blunden, Bournival-St.Pierre-Gionta.

MOAR Stretching!!!!

8. mdp2011 says:

So I guess the old saying is true, “you can’t have too many defencemen”.

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
    #Habs d-men dropping like flies: Drewiske out 4 weeks with a shoulder injury, Murray and Bouillon day to day with lower body injuries

9. Habfan10912 says:

Drewskie out 4 weeks – shoulder. Cue the Timo post.

10. Sportfan says:

After this season a bunch of our d-men become UFA one of the is Emelin, we know the impact he has on this team and losing him to injury sucks. So, how much do you pay Emelin to stay in Montreal?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Cal says:

If Gorges gets $3.9mil, Emelin must be worth $6mil/season. I kid!

• habtastic74 says:

Around $3 million is what I would go for. If the threatened to test the market I may even go so far as 3.5 or 4 tops. That’s assuming he returns to form after knee surgery.

• bwoar says:

Bah, with Gorges at 3.9M you absolutely have to pay Emelin more than 4M. 4.5M for 2 years would be my offer.

“thoroughbred”

• habtastic74 says:

For two years, sure. I would expect Emelin to be looking for something long term at this point though. If he’s looking long-term then 3.5 is probably about right.

4.5 million is a lot to commit to a guy who has only played one full NHL season at this point (if we’re talking long-term).

• Haberoooo13 says:

If he comes back and plays like he can…I think he will get 3.5 to 4 per.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Timo says:

Will see how this season goes but Emelin need to be paid more than gorgeous Gorges.

• Bill says:

Kronwall is a similarly physical, hard-hitting dman, albeit one with significantly more offensive ability, and he makes an average of 4.75 million over seven years.

Josh Gorges is less physical, less hard-hitting, with comparable offensive skills to Emelin, and he makes an average of 3.9 million.

With those comparables in mind, and if the cap goes up next year as it should, I would say the UFA market value for an Emelin is around 4.25 millionper season over a long term. I’m factoring in that Kronwall gave Detroit a bit of a home-town discount.

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Who’s your favorite Hab currently?
    2. If you had to pick, who’s your favorite NEW Hab?
    3. Which one player – out of this years camp – has most piqued your interest going forward?
    4. Which regular player is most likely to get traded this year?
    5. Taken from Ian below. Who’s likely to be YOUR favorite whipping boy this season?
    SD

————————————-
    Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

Michael Grange of Sportsnet writes that the last thing the Leafs need is to be on HBO’s 24/7 this upcoming season. I realize we had a watered down version in 24CH presented to us last season, but I think we all recognize that this was more an infomercial for Bell and it happened to include the Habs and we saw only what the team wanted us to see.

I could only imagine the Habs fanbase reactions if the Habs were on HBO’s 24/7. Then we would really know who was dogging it and showing attitude during team stretching exercises.

Very expensive effort by the Boston Management for what they did to there building to protect some of their players?
    They boarded up all the doors and windows and hired extra security.
    All the squirrels around Boston are starting to gather and bury nuts.!

14. JO says:

In the video it looks like white is killing time till the Bar opens!!

15. LUKE(y Leblanc) says:

OHL Season gets started tonight!

Got my Icedogs season ticket and I’m ready to go!

I think it’s going to be a long year for the Dogs though… but the Knights are in on Nov 28th, fortunately missing the dreaded World Junior dead-zone, and Crisp plays here three times… so that’s something.

16. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning everyone! Given my assumption that Tinordi will indeed be in the opening day lineup what would the pairings look like? Would this make sense?

PK – Gorges
    Markov – Tinordi
    Diaz – Murray
    Frankie B (reserve)

• I have a horrible feeling about that look.

I like PK and Tinordi, after that I see a whole lot of NHL players flying past our defensmen. Good thing the Habs plan on scoring 5 goals a game :)

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31
      8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
      Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

• Habfan10912 says:

I don’t know Shane. We have a stay at home with a puck mover on all pairs. I think the first two pairs see massive amounts of ice. Massive. Now combine that with the 5 goals a game and well……..

• Kooch7800 says:

Gorges should be with Murray I think. he did well with Gill and he wasn’t fleet of foot.

I would do:

Markov – Subban
        Diaz – Tinordi
        Jorges -Murray

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• I like the Jorges-Murray pairing, but I’m not sure Marky can handle top defense minutes for the entire season. I hope he can, but… =/

DDonais

• Kooch7800 says:

who knows how Marky will hold up…..it will be risky as he really slowed down near the end last year. It was also though his first season back in really almost 3 seasons. Hopefully he will be better this year.

When markov is on he can change games….same can be said when he is tired though :(

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ian Cobb says:

Gosh I miss Kaberle,
      so who does everyone on here this season beat up on? No Gomez, no Kaberle, oh oh, you better duck Gorges! or maybe Diaz.

• habtastic74 says:

That’s how I would line them up personally, but something tells me that they won’t be making Frankie a press box guy.

• TheChangeling says:

Ok, I know this off-topic, but your profile picture caught my attention from the get-go. Jocelyn Thibault is my favorite player of all-time too!! Looks like you and me are the only ones to share that opinion! He was a very talented kid who was thrown into impossible shoes to fill from the beginning. Let’s not talk about some of the defense that was in front of him in those days either! I’ll never forget that cold day in Novermber, coming home from 5th grade, and hearing the news from a friend via the answering machine saying how Jocelyn was traded to the Hawks. I was in denial at first. I wanted to cry. I will say though, Jeff Hackett did a very solid job with his time on the team.

• NL_habs_fan says:

I’d like to see PK and Tinordi spend a considerable amount of time together. That should be the habs top defensive pairing of the future. After that Markov and Gorges and finally Diaz and Murray to start the season.

Once Emelin is back

PK – Tinordi
      Markov – Emelin
      Diaz – Gorges or Murray – Georges depending on the opponent

Next year The Habs defense could look a lot different in that the only hold overs from this season could be PK, Tinordi and Gorges. So, another reason to keep PK and Tinordi together is so there is a little consistency from this season to the next.

So the Jersey tucked into the hip pads will no longer be allowed by the NHL. This should definitely increase scoring, decrease concussions and make the game more entertaining. Gotta again hand it to Bettman, he clearly has the pulse of the game at his fingertips.

18. SmartDog says:

In the stretching video (worth watching!), who’s the dude with the long hair and the cap near Plekanec? That guy NEEDS to learn to stretch. He’s stiff as a board. (Um, forget I said that.) But stretching is really important for power. This guy was either half asleep or he really needs to get stretched.

————————————-
    Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

19. showey47 says:

Daniel Briere has fared quite well against two of the Habs’ biggest rivals. He has more points in his career against Toronto (43) and Boston (39) than any other opponent.

• He didn’t look out of place the other night, I just hope he makes the season without injury. I know we wish that on everyone but he’s 36 (Oct) and this is his last kick at the cat. He’ll sell a lot of jerseys though :)

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31
      8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
      Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

• krob1000 says:

I thought he looked to have a lot of jump in his step …I was surprised to see it was Briere….I would have expected at his age he may take a while to come around and find his legs. I suspect he understands the pressure in Montreal and will do his best to be at his very best…what that is at this point remains to be seen but he is as professional of an athlete as there is. I can’t believe some are negative towards him….he is a guy who took in Giroux and has always been a leader, he is feisty and while not a fighter will definitely stick up for himself….literally. He has always been a pp specialist and is known to be clutch and kind of reminds me of Koivu in that light. The question was how much is left in the tank? RIght now based on his opening game legs…speed does not look like it should be an issue.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree. Funny thing was he was one of my most disliked players in the league, trailing only Chara and most members of that team. Now that he’s wearing THE sweater? I’m a huge fan!

• Kooch7800 says:

I am with you on him being one of the players I disliked the most. I am a grumpy old bugger though until he starts potting some timely goals I am sure that will help release some of my disdain for him LOL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• He didn’t look too bad in that game, and their line had a nice tic-tac-toe goal. But…you’ve got two small, skilled guys (sorry Timo, I’m including DD just for argument’s sake) protected by a big guy who doesn’t crash or bang much at all. That line might make it through the regular season okay, but I really doubt it would work come playoff time.

DDonais

20. Old Bald Bird says:

Maybe Leblanc should have stayed at Harvard. Maybe I should have been a plumber.

21. Old Bald Bird says:

I think from Hickey’s article that Tinordi is working out with the opening night team? If so, I think that’s good. One could make a case for saying that at least one rookie per year is good for the makeup of the team.

22. Bill says:

@Maritime Ronn: That’s pretty much the same post I responded to before. I think the place we disagree is that you are saying that a goalie’s stats are only reflective of the performance of the goalie, whereas I say they are a reflection of the performance of the entire team in most cases.

If that were not the case, you would have to say that Crawford is both a great and a terrible goalie, depending on which playoff year you wanted to look at. He can’t be both. He was neither as bad as his numbers suggest in 2012 nor as great as his numbers suggest in 2013. They went up and down with the performance of the whole team.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Bill,

I did mention,”To win a Cup, a team needs a mix of high end talent, superb specialty teams, a combo of skill and size/grit, injury luck, ( Habs are not there YET….) but most important, outstanding goaltending.

No goalie will be outstanding year after year throughout his career. Even some of the greats such as Roy and Brodeur had off playoff performances.

The point here is that for a team to win, the goaltender has to go on a playoff run – has to have the mental and physical toughness to withstand the long playoff run- has to stand on his head – has to steal a game here and there – has to win key OT games to give his team a chance.

All I hope for is that Price can do that a few times moving forward.

Perhaps it’s the never ending excuses that get to me while many gloss over the inconsistent and sub par playoff performances of Price over the years.

• Cal says:

Hey MRonn.
        For me it’s not Price’s up and down performance, which is normal for a goalie. What gets me is the parade of believers that believe that Price can do no wrong and it’s always somebody else’s fault for every softie he lets in.
        I have been in “show me” mode since 2010. Thus far, he’s average at best with gusts of ineptitude and brilliance, with ineptitude leading by a glove hand.

23. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the discussion on Carey Price

Bill said:
    ” I think Corey Crawford, for instance, is a fine goalie, like most goalies in the NHL. But there’s nothing magical about him. He plays for a really good team with really good players.”
    ——————–

To state that there was “Nothing magical” about Crawford last season, or more importantly in the playoffs, is way off the mark.

Crawford was absolutely outstanding last year both during the season and in the playoffs.
    In the playoffs, Crawford was 16-7 and was 5-2 in Overtime games.

One of those OT games lasted 112:08 where Crawford faced 54 shots and gutted out the win against Boston in Game 1 of the Cup final
    For all the playoffs, he posted an SP of .932 and a GAA of 1.84 and many believe he should have won the Conn Smythe.
    Nothing magical there?

As for your statement, ” He plays for a really good team with really good players” let’s see how that holds up to closer scrutiny.

Now compare Crawford’s Cup winning performance to the previous season where the Hawks had basically the same core with their Big 3 D ( Keith-Seabrook-Hjalmarsson), and Big 4 up front in Toews-Kane-Sharp-Hossa.

In those 2011/12 playoffs with a similar and extremely talented Hawks team, Crawford stunk out the joint with an .893 SP and 2.58 GAA…. and the Hawks lost the 1st round in 6 games.

Compare those numbers to Price last playoffs.
    .894 SP-3.26 GAA.
    Only the Islanders Nabokov was worse for goalies that played the majority of their team’s games – and Nabokov had to face the Pens, not the Sens.

The next case claiming a goalie needs a good team to play well….what about Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky on a sub par Columbus team he almost willed into the playoffs losing a tie-breaker for 8th place.

Bobrovsky had the 3rd most wins in the Western Conference last year (38 games played), and also was 2nd in the NHL in SP .932, and 3rd in GAA at 2.00.
    The problem with Columbus was they could not score goals finishing 13th in the West in that category. The other problem was a brurtal 2nd string goalie in Steve Mason (3-6-1, .899 SP)

All the experts claim Price has ‘potential’.
    Well perhaps it’s time for that ‘potential’ to become ‘performance’ and consistency.
    This year, Price will have the 4th highest Cap Hit for all NHL goaltenders.
    It’s time he plays and performs like the 4th highest – or at least a Top 10

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Price is a basic, quality upper middle of the pack NHL goalie. His reputation is hurt by the hype, and the fact that he was grievously overpaid for his potential. He hasn’t delivered. He does, however, provide good, basic goaltending, and he’ll do until a more reliable goalie comes along. What the team needs is to suck it up and improve in front of him.
      He’s a big pad goalie who plays a dull, positional game and rarely dazzles with his reflexes or reactions. Maybe in this era of composite sticks and enhanced shots, that is the best strategy, and maybe one of the offshoots of hockey technology helping shooters shoot faster is a loss in the spectacular side of reflex goaltending.
      You like to see your big scorers step up and score in big games, and your big goalies step up and save. It’s not an unreasonable expectation. So far, for Price, it has been too much to expect.
      In the long run, the Price era will likely not be one focused on the goalie’s success, like the Roy one was. He’s our goalie, he’ll keep being our goalie, and if the Habs win a Cup or go far, it will be because the defence improves and the forwards score more.

I honestly think he is hurt not only by the overblown contract, but by his body language. Most goalies give one up and set their faces. Price always looks around like the kid who farted in class, and too often slouches around like he’s depressed. It draws attention from the boo-birds. If he’d set and glare, he’d be better off. That little kicked dog body language he sends the crowd just draws our troll bully types – no one likes a kicked dog.
      If you look at his work in a strictly hockey wise way, he’s an okay goalie. The hype and the body language are what seem so polarizing, and are a part of what makes for the passion pro and con.
      I say we don’t worry about Price. Like the weather, we can’t change anything there (at least for the better). So let’s see it all unfold, and forget about our goalie. He’s not the team.

24. Un Canadien errant says:

Ladies and gentlemen, the mood was dour at the saloon tonight, we got there just as they were wrapping up the 4-1 loss by the Canucks to the Oilers, with Roberto Luongo letting in the four in a little over twelve minutes. The talking heads were trying to spin it, but all around me, it was “Bad angle…” and “There he goes, on his knees again”, and less flattering stuff. They need a Carey Price, who could remind the fans and media hordes that it’s only pre-season, that they should chill.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Marc10 says:

I know a goalie in St Louis that could solve all their problems…

On second thought, forget I said that!

• savethepuck says:

Not sure about Big Lou, but I know Carey has always paced himself to peak when the season opens, that is part of the reason he told fans to chill that year. The funny thing is that the goal fans booed him on when he took over from Yaro in 2010-2011 went off an offenders stick, and the 2nd goal he let in in the Boston pre-game was a definite screen, which many will not bother to admit or go back and watch a replay.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

25. HabsWin-nipeg says:

In my opinion the whole Kristo-Thomas trade is much ado about nothing. Kristo is being presented by some as a can’t miss prospect, which I can’t figure out. He’s a young man who put up decent to good numbers in college – more as he got older and bigger/better than the younger guys in the league, as he should. Thomas put up decent points as a rookie in the AHL last year, but neither one of them was a dominant force where they were at. If we’re looking at potential, Kristo put up more points as an older player against college players, while Thomas put up less points against men while he was yonger – hard to tell who has more potential at this stage, as the comparison between the levels they were playing at just isn’t there…apples and oranges if you will. I would be mildly surprised if either one of them amount to any kind of high impact player for any amount of time at the NHL level, and wouldn’t be surprised at all if either one ended up as career AHLers or playing in Europe. Kristo was traded because he didn’t fit into the Habs plans, for whatever reason. He has potential, but is unproven at a pro level. In return we got Thomas who has potential, but is unproven (although he did get one game in the NHL) at a pro level. It’s a saw-off. The Habs saw something in Kristo they didn’t like, so they moved him for someone that fit better with what they were trying to do. If trading him is going to break the team, then we are in far worse shape than any of us would care to admit.

• savethepuck says:

Unless someone in management ever leaks it, it will never be known why this trade was ever made. It will take at least 4 years to evaluate who won this trade for many reasons, including the fact that Thomas is 2 years younger. I think that one thing that is lost in all of this is that Kristo was drafted 1 year before LeBlanc, who many fans ( according to recent polls ) is now a bust because he has been sent back to Hamilton.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• JUST ME says:

You say that the habs saw something they did not like… I am not certain that the habs decided. He just never seemed like he was interested in Montreal or in hockey for that matter…Even though some of his off ice problems were typical of a young man living his life…still the Habs stuck with him through it all waiting every year to learn wether he was returning to his university team or if he was switching to the pro level… And just when time came to join tha pros , he was traded so…Either it was not in the cards,either he just did not want anything to do with the habs…It`s O.K. as you say it`s not as if one player was that crucial in the team`s future.

• krob1000 says:

I think Kristo is said to be an elite skater….that always opens more doors at the NHL level. The attention to detail and limited mistakes make it difficult unless players have an extreme skill in one or more areas. Kristo will ahve the potential to beat guys to the outside and one on 1….whether he has the work ethic to play the gaem away fromt he puck is the real question and always is….95 percent of the game is played without the puck.
      Thomas is a smallish guy but rumour is has a great shot and release, he is feisty and will fare well in tight spaces and has to play a la Gallagher or Gio to succeed.
      Both have shots but are question marks and defefinitely still can miss as far as I am concerned. If given the choice and starting a team from scratch I probably take Thomas…..given the Habs make up and what they already have in terms of Gallagher, Gio, etc I would have preferred to keep Kristo.
      Kristo is getting older and to the point where he needs to play now as well and Montreal doesn;t have room and Thomas can wait in the wings until someone like Gio may be out of the picture ,etc. Kristo will be a UFA sooner as well, etc, etc,

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just checkin’ in to let You all know I’m still alive and ambulant

…just in case anyOne missed Me :)

27. ClutchNGrab says:

Scott Fujita’s essay on Football in the NY Times is an interesting one:

28. savethepuck says:

I really enjoyed the 2 articles on Marky. It is probably no secret that I am a huge Marky fan and that is because he has the longest tenure of any Hab and I think he is the most valuable Hab of the last decade. Everything I read about him tells me he’s team first and how many times did he say he wants to go out every night and do his best for the fans and how much he has loved playing his career here. Some may think he’s a cranky old bas___d, but I think he’s a class act who puts his team first. I would bet that his professionalism makes him a great mentor to our young D, including PK who basically grew up watching him. Watching the 2 of them work the PP is a pleasure to watch. The 3 year injury fiasco was a circumstance of horrible luck combined with him being a consumate professional and maybe coming back too early from his injuries to be there for his teammates. Some fans feel ill will towards him because of that and I don’t understand it. Some want him shipped out to make room for the youth, but I don’t agree, I have no problem with sticking with someone who has definitely proven himself. I truly hope he retires with the Bleu, blanc et Rouge and has a few more great years in him.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Vito says:

I agree 110%!! (this is a hockey website after all)

Canada IS hockey!
      -Mike Weir

• savethepuck says:

Tyvm. I think there is way too much negativity towards him here. Although it is highly possible that the majority of the negative posts are from the louder minority, it doesn’t seem like enough posters here defend him when he’s being thrown under the bus or routinely discarded for future draft picks. I think maybe some of them have decided that PK is now their favorite DMan and the future of the Habs D, but that should have nothing to do with it. Someone should ask PK if he’d like anyone else feeding him those juicy one-timers from the point on the PP that is helping him to make his next huge contract. I would also like to add that PK is one of my top 4 Habs ( Marky, Carey, Chucky, PK) in no particular order. Andrei is still an important part of this teams success.
        Look at the Habs record with and without Marky over the last 4 or 5 years.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Vito says:

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love PK and he is my best candidate to captain this team to a Stanley cup, however I would love to see Markov retire as a HAB, even if he played on the second or third pairing. Perhaps this would bring back some more respect to the organisation and instill some pride!

Canada IS hockey!
          -Mike Weir

I’ve been watching this stretching video on repeat for like 30 minutes now. Great video! HIO should post more videos like that, instead of those of Hickey.

30. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

WTF? The Browns traded Trent Richardson to the Colts??? What idiots…not surprised now that Norf Turner is there…LOL

• savethepuck says:

Maybe they are tanking to get that 1st overall pick but they’ll have to dump a lot more to do worse than the Jags.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

But Norv is such a bright offensive mind, a great play caller, a genius. If he can’t figure out a way to use Trent Richardson, then obviously the kid is worthless. Kind of like Michael Turner and Darren Sproles, two backs you never heard from again once they left Norv’s Chargers.

31. habs11s says:

Bobby Lou lets in 3 goals in 10 minutes and the Nucks fans resemble Habs fans of a few nights ago…

_____________________________________________________________

32. ClutchNGrab says:

From the article above:

A few games into Markov’s 2000-01 rookie year, then-coach Alain Vigneault said: “There are times when I see Andrei heading into a dangerous situation and I say to myself: ‘Don’t go there.’ But he doesn’t have any sense of danger and I’m not sure I’d want to change that.”

I liked that one.

33. Anyone remember the Habs tour of Russia? Didn’t exactly end on a positive note, did it?

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice work, K. My excuse for missing the whole 1990 pre-season is how busy my career was in those days, and the race I had with Oakville fans and ex-pats of Montreal to get to the United Cigar store to get one of the three copies of the day-old Montreal Gazette was often lost. The season before, spring of ’89, the Habs lost handily to the Flames with the last game on Forum ice. It’s the only time I’ve seen the Habs lose in a SC final series.

“May you live in interesting times.”

34. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The whole Leblanc controversy is foolish. He was sent down. His girlfriend was mad about it. Good for her. She shot off her ‘mouth’ on twitter. Bad for him.
    If he’s good, he’ll be back. His pride is hurt by his being an early cut, but he needs to do some work. He needs to score some goals. So off he goes to hopefully do just that, and soon, we all hope to see him back.
    That’s all. A manufactured controversy on a slow day, to excite haters of girlfriends and drama vampires. Move on – nothing to see here.
    Yet.
    I hope we see some good things from young Louis in the future.

• savethepuck says:

I think it is overblown too. The organization had a reason to send him down and I hope he responds to it correctly. I have never posted anything negative about LL on here, I have always hoped he will succeed and still feel he will eventually be a Hab.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• New says:

The chains of fans are being pulled by the media. Who follows LL’s girlfriend’s tweets? Or LL’s tweets. Then the headlines cry “…defends decision to send …”. Who has to defend the decision to anyone outside the organization?

Just a cry for attention in a tough market to grab a share of.

35. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Geezus…I need to take a stretching class…

36. Mark C says:

When did Danny Kristo become Gordie Howe?

I liked him a lot and was disappointed when I heard about the trade. But does anyone have any non-bias, legitimate sources that suggest Kristo is a markedly better prospect than Thomas?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Very good point lol.

People are jittery, with good reason, after we watched another college player, Ryan McDonagh, also handed over the Rangers.

But ya, some of the doomsdayers portray it like we lost Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr.

Maybe Kristo goes on and becomes a good player, Thomas has a shot too, but the two moves can’t be linked as Bergevin had nothing to do with the Scott Gomez trade.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think the question should be when did Christian Thomas become Yvon Cournoyer? Never heard of this guy until until the Habs traded Kristo for him and suddenly he’s good enough to be playing on the best two-way line? Most fans didn’t mind trading Kristo but are fed up with the acquisition of another small forward. He did not show anything against the Bruins whose D-men had no problem plastering him up against the glass. The only reason he is still around is because MB traded for him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

“Most fans didn’t mind trading Kristo but are fed up with the acquisition of another small forward.”

Kristo is 5’11″ and Thomas is 5’9″. I don’t think that tips the scale in either direction. Bergevin and his staff have details that none of us do about Kristo and why he didn’t see him as a fit in Montreal.

I’m all for getting bigger and tougher but I don’t think Kristo would have made much of a difference.

Bergevin is sticking with Tinordi, they just drafted McCarron and Crisp. Galchenyuk is 6’2″ or so. He brought in Prust. He signed Murray and Parros. He’s working on it! :-).

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m not saying Kristo was a large player just that if you’re going to trade him get something you need. I can’t believe that Thomas was the best they could have got for a prospect that was invited to the USA World Championship team.

• Hobie Hansen says:

We’ll see just how good each player turns out to be. I can’t claim to know which player competed against better competition and fared better. I do however, know that playing for Oshawa in the OHL against Peterborough, Belleville and other rivals is some of the best hockey on the planet a player in that age group can play. Thomas potted 50 something goals there a couple years ago so he’s no slouch.

Thomas is also a couple years younger and drafted a couple spots earlier a couple years later, I think, than Kristo.

• Mark C says:

If you’d never heard of Thomas, I would suggest a) you don’t follow prospects closely, and b) if you were a Rangers fan instead of a Habs fan you would have never heard of Kristo.

Saying the only reason he hasn’t been cut if because MB traded for him is unfounded BS.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Actually believing that he is better than Leblanc is BS. I guess GM’s never give preference to players they drafted or traded…

• Mark C says:

Well, Thomas was clearly more productive than LL last season. Also, I don’t think it is clear that management thinks Thomas is better than LL just because LL got cut first. There are extenuating circumstances surrounding LL.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Thomas stuff aside, there is something definitely going on with Leblanc and management. He is not going anywhere if he is butting heads with his bosses. Like I said yesterday, he just needs to put up and his girlfriend shut up.

37. Stevie.Ray says:

Bob Mckenzie’s number 4 ranked NHL draft prospect tonight was a kid named Leon Draisaitl. I know it might not mean much but he scored 192 points in 29 games a couple years back in an U16 German League. It’s probably a pretty weak league but that’s a crazy amount of points

38. Un Canadien errant says:

A play in one act based on the video linked above.

Scene: The Canadiens’ training complex in Brossard, Québec.

Time: The present

ACT I

Scene 1

SETTING: The dressing room. Various players are warming up, getting ready for a practice session.

AT RISE: Brendan Gallagher, about to leave the room, addresses Alex Galchenyuk.

GALLAGHER, Brendan:

Hey, Chucky, I’m going for a stretch, you coming?

GALCHENYUK, Alex:

No, I’m good, I’ve got some new sticks to tape up.

GALLAGHER, Brendan:

Come on, Sarah’s here, she brought a couple of friends from her studio, and she’s going to…

BLUNDEN, Michael, BOURNIVAL, Michaël, BOURQUE, Rene, BRIÈRE, Daniel, COLLBERG, Sebastian, DESHARNAIS, David, DUMONT, Gabriel, ELLER, Lars, GALCHENYUK, Alex, GALLAGHER, Brendan, GIONTA, Brian, HOLLAND, Patrick, McCARRON, Michael, MOEN, Travis, PACIORETTY, Max, PARROS, George, PLEKANEC, Tomas, PRUST, Brandon, QUAILER, Steven, ST-PIERRE, Martin, TARNASKY, Nick, THOMAS, Christian, WHITE, Ryan, BEAULIEU, Nathan, BOUILLON, Francis, DIAZ, Raphael, DREWISKE, Davis, EMELIN, Alexei, GORGES, Josh, MARKOV, Andrei, MURRAY, Douglas, NYGREN, Magnus, PATERYN, Greg, SUBBAN, P.K., TINORDI, Jarred, BUDAJ, Peter, PRICE, Carey, TOKARSKI, Dustin:

(interrupting, in unison)

I’ll be right there.

(BLACKOUT)

(CLOSE CURTAIN)

———————————————————————–

39. Hobie Hansen says:

Just saw Patrick Roy say he has for no respect for ex players who start coaching in the NHL with no coaching experience. I guess that’s why he and Mario Tremblay never got along?

40. shaver18habs says:

why anybody out there (Off the Record) would consciously have Mike Milbury on the show to evaluate players is beyond be….just sayin

edited.

nevermind

42. TheDagger says:

I must admit… I haven’t been nearly as appreciative as I should be about the fact that I am watching hockey highlights in the mornings as opposed to the riveting footage of the weasels Bettman and Fehr riding escalators.

43. How on earth can so many people give up on a 22 year old player?

I mean, I’m no fan but he’s has the stuff to make it someday.

Other news, I ran 5.1 Ks this afternoon. My hips ache, my knees hurt and there isn’t enough water on the planet right now to hydrate me.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31
    8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
    Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

44. Bill says:

I guess the thing that strikes me about the (never-ending) goalie discussion is how much those who think Price is garbage just generally really overrate the position in a very weird way.

I’m not saying it’s not an important position. It obviously is. But most of the criticism of Price is things like “doesn’t make the big save at the right time” or “not a big game goalie”, which both are absurdly superstitious statements that cannot be quantified and can only be invented. It’s like believing in unicorns.

These same guys overrate the importance of the goalies on other teams. Lundqvist is god, for example. If only we had Lundqvist. Well, I agree he’s an excellent goalie. But if he were Montreal’s goalie, how would he look on our team? We don’t know. Even on the Rangers, his playoff numbers would make public enemy number one in Montreal.

The fact is, most NHL goalies are very, very close to one another in terms of talent and skill. Good teams like L.A. and Chicago help their goalies look good by making their lives easy with good defence and good goal support.

It’s simple-minded to think the Habs are a goalie-switch away from contention. It’s so simple-minded I would be surprised to read things like that here if I hadn’t been reading this site for the past what, six or seven years? We should be hoping the Habs are working to become a better overall team, and we won’t have to worry about goaltending.

Look at the rosters of teams like Chicago, LA, or Boston, and then get back to me about how our goaltending is letting us down.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Eddie says:

“The fact is, most NHL goalies are very, very close to one another in terms of talent and skill. ”

I agree.

So why would we spend 10% of our payroll on a goalie?

• Bill says:

10% of the payroll this year, significantly less in years to come I would bet. The cap won’t be at 65 mllion for long. The Habs are paying for stability at the position over the prime years of Price’s career, which coincide with their plan for the team in general to start contending.

If you have access to a good goalie, you should hang on to him. Because there are lots of other teams that consistently demonstrate the danger of the other extreme of thinking, which is that literally any goalie will do and you can keep switching up every year. Like Philly.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agree 100% Bill.

• Maritime Ronn says:

As a Habs fan, here is wishing Price finally finds some Tier I level consistency.

I don’t believe for 1 second that Price is a garbage goaltender and he may become terrific in the future, yet to date his overall body of work performance has been average at best.
      Numbers don’t lie.

As for your statement { “doesn’t make the big save at the right time” or “not a big game goalie”, which both are absurdly superstitious statements that cannot be quantified}…that is easily quantified.

You can look at Price’s playoff performance since he came into the NHL, and underwhelming would be a compliment.

As for comparing the Lundqvist playoff numbers to Price, Lundqvist has been FAR superior.

The 1 single good playoff year Price did have in 2010/11, the Habs lost in a Game 7 OT to the Bruins – yet the Habs also lost 3 of the last 4 games in OT.
      That is only a small quantification of, “doesn’t make the big save at the right time” or “not a big game goalie”

At the end of the day, it takes a solid team and a heck of a lot of luck (injuries) to win a Cup, yet to try and downplay the importance of a goalie – his ability to be successful and perform under huge physical and psychological playoff pressures, is an argument with little basis.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bob McKenzie unveils his annual pre-season draft list in the a 30-minute special tonight at 7:30pm.

I’ll have to take a peak at that in order to keep up with all you prospect gurus out there! Also to know what junior games I should try to attend in Ottawa this year. Definitely going again when London is is town. Saw Tinordi play here a couple seasons ago.

• Bill says:

What I’m trying to downplay is the exaggerated importance some posters place on goaltending. They expect the goalie to be some kind of messiah.

The games you cite do not quantify the performance of Carey Price alone, obviously. They quantify the performance of the entire team. They could not quantify anything else, and I would say they back up my opinion at least as well as yours.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Very good last paragraph.

• PrimeTime says:

Not sure why you’re asking when you already stated the answer….”simple-minded”. Some see only what they want to see.

• JUST ME says:

I feel good about things to come for Price cause he got exactly what he needed at this stage of his carreer wich is a new coach. He needs to reach and achieve and get to a new plateau and Waite has a proven track record.

Now if only people would understand that he will not win 82 games and score 50 goals that would be a good start !

I still maintain though that the game got very demanding both physically and mentally with the compact schedule and the travelling and the olympics and the lack of practice time.
      A good tandem of goalers is a must in today`s hockey and i am very happy we have Budaj on our side. Now if only people would understand that he too will not win 82 games and score 50 goals !

45. Kooch7800 says:

Remember Tom the Bomb?

That guy gave it his all but man it was tough watching him get pounded in every single fight
    “Keep your stick on the Ice”

46. DeadEnd says:

Question: Would you take Gionta and/or Markov back next year at $2M (each)?

• Stevie.Ray says:

Both are guys that I’m curious to see how they will do this season before I make any judgements.

• Habfan17 says:

Habfan17

• savethepuck says:

They are worth a lot more than 2 million each. A lot more.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Habfan17 says:

Maybe so, but next season will be time to turn the page and if need be, to sign a UFA to replace one or both. With Markov, if he has a decent season, then maybe at $3 million, but just for one year.
        Briere will have one year left and with Gallagher, Collberg and maybe McCarron, Gionta can go.

Habfan17

• shandrew says:

I’d take Markov back, but it’ll cost more than 2 mil. Gionta’s a classy guy but his time here is up.

McCarron is at least 2 years away.

• B says:

Which one of these UFA Dmen would you prefer to replace Markov next summer (assuming he is still a UFA by then)?

How about from within? Who will be ready to step up and replace him from Hamilton? Beaulieu would be seem to be the closest, but I would be surprised if he is ready to replace Markov next summer. That would asking for / expecting an awful lot IMO.

Other than via a big trade, it could be tough to find a better replacement for Markov next summer.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Hobie Hansen says:

No UFA defencemen will be coming in next year to replace Markov. Markov will walk or be traded at the deadline and Tinordi, Beaulieu and possibly Pateryn will be here.

• Bill says:

That’s an easy yes. Both still productive players and that is pretty cheap.

I’d give Markov another two years actually.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• sevenman says:

Markov yes – Gio no

_________________________________

Full-time reader…..part-time poster

• rhino514 says:

I would take Gionta at 3,5 on a 1 or 2 yr. and Markov at 4 for minimum 2 years…if both perform same as last year. I actually suspect Marky may perform a bit better.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

Love Gio’s heart, but I think he will go to make room for one of our younger guys next year. With Markov it depends on how he does this year – there would be other guys I would move before him if he can adjust his game to account for what appears to be some loss of agility in his knee.

• Price07 says:

Nope, its time to leave spots open for younger guys!

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

At that price I would be tempted if the need is there. I would prefer giving the opportunities to younger players if they are ready but if we don’t have these skill sets in younger players then these two would be good options at that price if they are both healthy. So I guess lots of ifs but yes I’d consider that. The two prospects who most closely match the skill sets of these verteran players in my opinion are Beaulieu and Collberg but they may not be ready next year.

24 cups and counting….

• on2ndthought says:

yep

“a cannonading drive”

47. habbernack says:

Why is it when you reply to a post, the reply ends up nowhere near the post you were replying to

• Trisomy 21 says:

are you using the mobile site? I find i have issues with it.

• habstrinifan says:

No error or mistake. It is the easiest way to store and retrieve an ‘infinite string set’ and it’s ‘subsets’.

So the first post is element #1 in the set, which points to reply #1(element 2) in the set; which points two reply #3, (element 3) in the set.
      Then the ‘reply’ to the first reply is element #1 in the subset.

And a reply to that reply is element #1 in a subset to that subset.

Thus when you retrieve for display you display element 1 set one; then display the subsets of element 1 and any subsets to that subsets… before you come back and display element #2 from the first set.

Pretend you are at a thanksgiving dinner. You line up the children/attach their grandkids to them and say this is child a and this is his kid and this is his kid’s kid.
      Then you go back and say this is child 2 and this is his kid etc.
      So child #5 (your post for instance) is introduced long after many kids(sets) and grandkids(subsets).

So if you are the 2nd ‘reply’ to a post from Timo for instance you might as well forget seeing Timo’s original post anywhere near your reply. Cause Timo is so freakin popular that you will see all the ‘replies to the 1st reply to Timo’s post and the replies to those replies’ before you see your post which in fact was the 2nd reply to Timo’s first post… but was kinda shuffled down the ‘depth chart’ like Louis LeBlanc.

Now try and ‘reply’ to THIS POST. For instance you could say a one line/one word “gobblygook” reply. And because no one WILL read this post and no one else will reply to it…your “gobblygook” will come right after my gobblygook.

48. rhino514 says:

I actually would prefer to see Collberg (or Kristo, but we won´t go there) over Briere. Stick him on the third line and protect his minutes like they did with Chucky last year; he´d probably find it rough going in the beginning but probably by the end of the year he´d be showing what he´s made of.
    Seems like a kid with a good head on his shoulders.
    Again, the pressure in Mtl to win NOW is so great, that a quick fix solution is often found, and that´s a pity. I think the Briere move is part quick fix, and part marketing move (since i am not at all convinced he can be a good quick fix and i doubt he will play a full season)

• Eddie says:

welcome to the ‘dark side” of the Briere signing. we are the minority for sure.

I wanted Kristo to make it and for us to have traded for a 4-5 million dollar d-man, but apparently, with all of our great prospects, we don’t have the “depth” of talent to make that type of move.

Marketing move? how about 2 hour special on RDS the day of the signing.

When Briere scores a few goals there will be calls to make him the new captain.

• rhino514 says:

Just imagine if Kristo has a great season/career. Kristo/Briere could end up being Bergevin´s legacy in the same way that Gomez/McDonagh was Gainey´s legacy. The latter made many good moves, but will be remembered by many for one terrible move. I really hope a similar situation doesn´t happen with MB. . And again, it´s quite possible Bergevin knows something we don´t. But when you look at the way that kid can fly it´s scary.

• Eddie says:

Kristo is going to score at the NHL level. I think we should all accept that fact.

• Bill says:

On the record as agreeing with you on that one. Weird trade. Kristo could have a rookie of the year type campaign and it wouldn’t surprise me.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

The difference is that Gainey got a player in Gomez who turned into a black hole for anyone who played with him, at a ridiculous cost. Bergevin at worst got a prospect who won’t amount to anything, but won’t cost them anything if it doesn’t work out (in terms of salary).

• rhino514 says:

agreed…it cannot turn out as nearly as bad as that move…But if Kristo becomes an l all-star, which he can, we essentially gave him up for nothing. Thomas is definitely a notch below him as a prospect.

• commandant says:

I don’t agree that Thomas is a notch below Kristo as a prospect.

He’s two years younger so Kristo might be closer to NHL ready, but Thomas could be just as good or better IMO.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I think at this stage we’re better off hanging on to our prospects. Show some patience, Beulieu and tinordi could still become 4-5 million dollar d-men. No sense in trading those two for one who’s worth that now. We are missing more than that to win the cup.

49. Habfan17 says:

I am not sure why it is such a big deal to some, that LeBlanc was assigned to Hamilton. He had a tough season after the high ankle sprain and he needs to be a go to guy and get lot’s of ice time to get back to where they expected him to be. To see if he can do it.

If he stayed up, he would not get that. With the depth on the right side, I am not sure LeBlanc will make it with the Habs, at least he will get the chance to prove he is NHL material and maybe become a valuable trade asset.

Habfan17

• twilighthours says:

There are many eloquent posts explaining why this might be a big deal. You should read carefully through the comments to see a different side of the issue

50. Lafleurguy says:

More HIO posts on ‘tweener Louis L. in the past 24, than his entire career as a Habs prospect. Biggest raves this past summer were for Collberg and the young D-guys. Hope the tea cooled down for relentless, going to crack open a can of spit pea and ham soup, just have to google a recipe first.

“May you live in interesting times.”

51. JUST ME says:

What`s false with saying that we know Louis Leblanc ? We have seen more than what we need to see and we must take advantage of the pre season games to check a few other players that maybe will do better than Leblanc with the habs as they are today? Does not mean Leblanc is not fit for the habs just that someone else like Bournival may accomplish more in the present situation. Leblanc will be brought back up faster than we think.

52. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m trying to enjoy a cup of tea with lunch, but the thing is really frothing and roiling.

53. jrshabs1 says:

I’m pretty sure everyone here wants Price to have a great year. That being said, I’m sure pretty much everybody here is fed up with his habitual up and down play.
    Did I go too far with my assessment? Are the staunch Price defenders going to ridicule my opinion? Do some of the Price defenders see or know something the rest of us don’t see or know? I know …chill out.

Go Habs Go!!

• LUKE(y Leblanc) says:

. There’s a sizeable contingent here wouldn’t mind seeing him have an awful year just to post the “I told you so’s”.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I agree with your assessment either he’s Godly or he’s crap there doesn’t seem to be a middle ground with him.

• Stevie.Ray says:

My argument would be that when he’s on, he plays close to perfect, and when he’s off, it’s not by much and people overreact. Also, he takes way to much blame for when his defence doesn’t show up. eg: After Habs clinched a playoff spot last season the defence went on holiday.

• savethepuck says:

^^^ this is the right answer^^^

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Stevie.Ray says:

I might keep a spread sheet this year, where I grade every goal scored on Price. A 10/10 is a goal he had absolutely no chance on. a 1/10 is a goal he absolutely should have had and completely had a brain fart.

I did this a couple years ago, and after 10 games almost all the goals were between 7 and 10. I think he had one 3 which was a weak shot from the faceoff dot that caught a little bit of a defencemans pad. I stopped doing it because he clearly wasn’t letting in as many softies as people thought.

• krob1000 says:

He looks like he lets in softies though because of his robotic and postiional paly…he could use an infusion of instinct in there and be better at battling through traffic to see pucks. I would like to se ehim stand up more in those situations and then adapt beccuase if a puck is deflected off to the side he is in no mans land. I don;t like how often he is on his knees early…only complaint about Price.

• Stevie.Ray says:

That’s interesting. I know when I played third base in ball I would sometimes get so focused on making sure my positioning and blocking was correct, that I wouldn’t move my glove to the ball (which is most important). When I played my best it was a combination of the technique and the athleticism.

Judging a goal that is deflected is tough because every one is caught off guard. If it deflects to the backdoor where an opponent is standing wide open… that’s bad luck. Defenceman should have maybe done a better job boxing him out, but I mean they are already standing off to the side. How much more boxed out can anyone get them? If it’s a deflection on goal, then it’s all instinct and reaction and it’s hard to fault a goalie if he misplays a deflection (unless it’s really obvious and easy).

• Supersonic says:

what would be interesting is if a few people do that and then compare the results

I’d volunteer but I often work late evenings and miss a lot of games

• habstrinifan says:

Kinda extreme the other way.

• bwoar says:

He has habitually let in softies not attributable to his defense. It’s so consistent I wait for it and hope we’ve got the lead when it does.

I was never part of the Pro/Anti groups, but I’ve soured on the guy after last year. I’d like him to prove he’s worth his contact and have a stellar season.

“thoroughbred”

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I’ve soured on him also. He has a hell of alot to prove imo.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I’m not saying every goal against is the defences fault, and I’m not saying he doesn’t let in a softie every now and then. Every goalie lets in a bad goal from time to time, so I guess the question is how many softies is acceptable. I know you want to say 0 is the only acceptable amount of soft goals, but that’s dumb.

You also have to consider so many variables when judging how difficult a goal was. Was he screened? Was it deflected? Was it a one timer? Was it a back door pass? Was he interfered with? Was the defence in position? Was it just a perfect shot (sometimes the other team just does something right)? Was there an unlucky bounce (sometimes the other team just gets lucky)?

• habbernack says:

They lost emelin.

• The Dude says:

Like I said before …I can’t wait for a YouTube clip of Price playing catch with his kids :)

• Trisomy 21 says:

“Are the staunch Price defenders going to ridicule my opinion? Do some of the Price defenders see or know something the rest of us don’t see or know? I know …chill out. ”

Sounds to me like you’re ridiculing theirs….

54. Timooo says:

Gawd, wish posters would leave this forum to hockey related matters! Its called Hockey Inside/Out for f sakes! No way thomas makes the lineup. Bournival could though.

55. savethepuck says:

And common opinion on LL seems to be that he doesn’t fit as a top 6 forward and doesn’t have enough grit to be in the bottom 6. When I look at the makeup of the current Habs I don’t see a top 6 and a bottom 6, I see a top 9 with a gritty 4th line. This team’s highest paid forward presently makes 5 Million ( Plex and Gio ), they don’t have a couple of 7 plus million forwards like other CAP max teams giving them $’s to put 3 balanced lines on the ice which are harder to defend. I think with improvement that LL can make his way into the top 9.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• showey47 says:

I don’t think LL was ever labelled a future top 6 player even before he was drafted. Not from the draft reports I read anyway. From what I read he was a potential 3rd line player with the possibility to do some 2nd line wing spot duty.

• punkster says:

Stop with the facts….rumour and vicious innuendo only here.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
        but…
        ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• showey47 says:

Hey dave, did you make it out to camp much this year?

• punkster says:

Twice, June and August and I have to go back in the next week or so to close up. Trying to get one of my brothers to go with me but everyone is busy.

Awesome weather, good fishing, bugs weren’t too bad. Looking forward to a few nice fall days there.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
            but…
            ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• savethepuck says:

My point was that the Habs don’t have a top 6 with a 3rd and 4th line, they have a top 9 and 4th line, and I think the players in our top 9 are interchangeable depending on performance.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Stevie.Ray says:

I think he was projected to maybe be similar to Plekanec.

This whole situation reminds me of the season before Pacioretty broke out. I still have hope he can take his game to the next level.

56. UnkleGary says:

Lots of DD and Price debate, and I find them kind of similar. Both have had tones of success before the NHL, flashes of brilliance in the NHL and periods of inconsistent, sub par play as well. Both received huge contracts, and many people don’t see them earning them now, or later. But the problem with DD is he is being given an opportunity that holds back two younger, very talented players in his position at centre, Eller and Chucky. I can see because of this why its easy to hate on DD, he’s small on an already small team, and there’s also guys who might be able to completely out play him who are younger but not getting the opportunities he gets. If you play line maker, it’s very possible to make 4 good lines if you remove DD, and also get to she’d his 3.5 salary.
    But I find its very different with Price. Sure we just drafted Fucale, but he may be 3 to even 6 years away, if he does even pan out, which is a long ways away. Price does have to have a good year, that’s certain. He needs to pick it join the playoffs, that’s certain. But the constant bashing of Price doesn’t make sense to me, he’s your goalie, get used to it. There’s no other goalie right now. He’s not holding anyone back, and he’s a good goalie. Couple years ago Price had a great year, got out duelled by Thomas. Could argue he didn’t win in 4 (?) OT games? You need a goalie to win OT games. Then had a great start last year, bad finish, so did the whole team. He needs to be more consistent.
    Real question mark of a season, again. Who knows where we will finish, hope its a good ride.
    Lovin Tinordi, hope McCaron pans out. Wish we had 18 Galleghers!

CH-eers!

57. frontenac1 says:

Got some free wifi in an Edinburgh Tavern that was established in 1516, sign on and Jimbo is First? Slainte Amigo!

58. RetroMikey says:

We need a new captain on this team. Gionta doesn’t cut it for me.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

59. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Today’s comments are — so far — much more reasonable than last night’s. The Habs have a lot of players signed to one-way contracts, and are up against the shrunken cap, like most other teams in the NHL. Canadiens management likely has more insight into their players’ physical and mental states than do the fans of the team, however smart they may be. If we look at last season, we can see that MB and MT were open to adding NHL-ready rookies to the starting day lineup.

60. Ozmodiar says:

I wonder if Eller and Briere have discussed this yet….

61. habs-fan-84 says:

At some point this year Louis Leblanc will play for the Montreal Canadiens.

That is all.

62. Prairienewf says:

Kristo has issues to say the least. Therrien and MB need guys who are all in and on board not distractions.

63. Strummer says:

” but we know Louis Leblanc and we wanted to get to know some of the other players better,” Therrien said.

That makes sense.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mattyleg says:

Totally; they have been thinking about where LL will fit in for a few years now, and they have a pretty good idea. All he needs to do is get himself game-fit in the AHL, and management will either slot him in where they like, or they’ll trade him as a game-ready player, à la Eller.

Personally, I don’t see where he’d fit on our current roster, but if there are injuries, he’ll get the call.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habstrinifan says:

Disagree!

64. Sportfan says:

6th but meh lol Good on MT and defending their position its a good reason to.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

65. Morenz7 says:

Louis Leblanc might not be ready for prime time, but from what I’ve seen, neither is Christian Thomas. In fact, Leblanc seemed more feisty, more committed.

I have a sinking feeling we’re going to regret that Kristo deal.

• commandant says:

Before we judge the deal lets remember that Thomas is two years younger than Kristo.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Morenz7 says:

He’s just not as big or as strong as Kristo, or really all that good.

For all the talk of the team getting bigger, I’m struck by how MB has managed to add smaller players to the picture. Briere, Thomas, Reway, Andrighetto. Not saying Kristo was the antidote, at 5-11 and 185. But he looked promising, and it’s hard to understand why the organization let things get to the point where he was about to lose Kristo for nothing. Because why? Because he’s a bad apple? And Nathan Beaulieu’s not?

66. Propwash says:

Leblanc can easily be called up in case of injuries. I don’t see the big hoopla over this.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

67. JO says:

Louie Leblanc is not NHL ready yet that’s why he was cut. Some people on here think MB and MT don’t know their job. It takes awhile to build a stanley cup team. Better get use to it 5-10 years minimum …

68. Mattyleg says:

Weird.
    Just logged on.
    INTO SECOND PLACE!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

What’s happening is that you get more jail time for creative accounting than for murder or rape. That’s what’s happening.

70. habstrinifan says:

WOW! Cant say I agree. Not condoning less jail time for murder/rape but lots of cheating public purse being brushed under carpet.

OK I know there have been some highly stupid rape judgments lately but I think generally you are wrong.

71. Mr. Biter says:

And no one on this site drank underage and chased girls while at university. Turned 18 in Feb my 1st year of University. think I was not at the city center pub every night after soccer practised and trying to get laid at socials on the weekends while underage as university started the beginning of Sept?.
    Quite sure Frontenac never touched Scotch while underage.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

72. habstrinifan says:

Agree.. that’s the elephant in the room. What happened to trigger the trade and if something did happen was it a GM trying to stand his ground and then having to sign and trade.