Therrien defends decision to cut Leblanc

Louis Leblanc was the main topic of conversation as the Canadiens’ training camp continued Wednesday in Brossard with head coach Michel Therrien defending the decision to include the 2009 first-round draft pick in the first group of players to be reassigned.

Leblanc, who was drafted 18th overall, was sent to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs following Monday’s 6-3 preseason loss to the Boston Bruins.

“He came into camp with a good attitude and he was in better shape, but we know Louis Leblanc and we wanted to get to know some of the other players better,” Therrien said.

Therrien mentioned Christian Thomas, who was acquired from the New York Rangers in the off-season, and Swede Sebastien Collberg, who will be heading back to Sweden if he doesn’t make it in the NHL.

Neither player was part of the main group at practice Wednesday as Therrien and his staff concentrated on the players who are expected to be on the roster on opening night against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Oct. 1 at the Bell Centre. But the coach said Thomas and Collberg will see some action this weekend as the Canadians play three preseason games in four nights, beginning Friday with a game against the Carolina Hurricanes in Quebec City.

The good news out of camp is that captain Brian Gionta has been cleared for contact. He was on the fifth line Wednesday with Michael Bournival and Martin St. Pierre.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens’ opening-night roster taking shape, by Pat Hickey

Markov reflects on his long journey from Moscow to Montreal, by Dave Stubbs

A Q&A session with Andrei Markov, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens turn to dynamic stretching, by Brenda Branswell

Maybe Leblanc should have stayed at Harvard, Stu on Sports blog

Photo gallery from Habs practice Wednesday, montrealgazette.com

Photo gallery from Canadiens’ dynamic off-ice stretching routine, montrealgazette.com

The importance of role players, Canadiens.com

Tour des Canadiens condo plan adds two buildings, montrealgazette.com

1. Bill says:

@thebonscott: if McCarron becomes an NHL regular, that’s good for a late first rounder. If he becomes a 10-15 goal guy who does the other things you mention, we should all be very happy with that. Anything more and he’s a steal, an absolutely brilliant pick. It’s hard to score 20 goals these days.

2. Bill says:

@SmartDog

In picking my favourite new Hab I followed some guidelines:
    A) I interpreted “new” to mean completely new, and an actual Hab, not a prospect. So I was picking between Parros, Murray, and Briere. I don’t like Briere. I don’t mind Parros but I don’t see him playing a big role.

B) You said we HAD to pick, ha. I wouldn’t have picked anyone otherwise.

I think Murray is a great replacement for Emelin until we have Emelin back. Someone needs to guard the net.

He may become a whipping boy but I don’t do that.

3. twilighthours says:

The Diaz nonsense is reaching Desharnais proportions. You people really need to find something new to think/write about.

4. thebonscott says:

“When he heard the news, our captain was crying in my arms.”

I remember when I heard that line come out of Therrien’s mouth, I thought if I were Gionta I would crawl into a hole in shame. And if I was Bergevin, I’d look for a new captain.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

5. B says:

Some injuries already on the D. This is why depth is so important. It’s not about if there are injuries, but when there are injuries (and how many).

–Go Habs Go!–

6. Chuck says:

For some reason I feel like doing some dynamic stretching.

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

• krob1000 says:

Careful…I tried earlier after seeing that…..needless to say…I found several issues…now they need to post a video on dynamic repair.

I think I’d be willing to participate if my company instituted Dynamic Stretching every morning prior to the work day starting. Granted, it would require the same instructors as the Habs use, thus preventing any blockages. :)

7. thebonscott says:

my answers
    1. subban
    2. maccarron
    3. bournival
    4. diaz
    5. desharnais

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

8. habs001 says:

Still concerned that the Habs are lacking in forwards that can improve the pk from last year…If PK plays more pk and along with Murray maybe that helps….But not sold that beyond Plecks any of the other forwards can bring the pk into a top 10 position…The type of pk the team plays probably because of the personal they have is going to give up goals regularly….

9. SmartDog says:

@Bill

You’re an astute fan of the game so I need to know, why the love for Murray (from your answer to my 5 Q below)?

When I wrote that question I wondered if anyone would pick him. He seems more ‘whipping boy’ territory so far.

————————————-
    Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

10. PaceCH says:

Hey fellow HIOers — we’re still looking for a few more GMs for our new keeper league that we’re starting up on the CBS fantasy site this season. You can check out our forum page here: http://cascadia.makeforum.ca/ Our league constitution is down toward the bottom of the page. The inaugural draft is this Sunday, the 22nd at 7:30pm PST, so East coasters will have to pretend it’s like the Habs are on a western road trip (think of it like preseason training). Cheers, Charles (charlespace123@gmail.com)

11. thebonscott says:

on the downside, say if mcarron develops into a guy who scores 12 goals a year, wins puck battles along the boards consistently. sticks up for his teammates, delivers thunderous checks, and intimidates d-men. Would you be disappointed??

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

A little but he could still staple Patrice Bergeron into the glass and knock him out of out of the conference finals in 2016. So it’s a win win.

• twilighthours says:

You’re a real peach, Hobie.

• Eddie says:

Bergeron is literally one of great players, and one of the great comebacks in the league. A few years back I was discussing with a poster who was the better player, I had Bergeron he had Plekanec. Today, Plekanec is still Plekanec, and Bergeron is elite.

I’m no Bruins fan, but Bergeron deserves our respect.

• SmartDog says:

I think he’s a 20 goal guy, no question. He is immovable, has great reach and knows where the back of the net is.
      He creates space for his linemates which lets them fire with him around to tip it or pounce on the scraps.

Like I said below – after seeing him “I’m a believer” in him and in the pick the Habs made.

————————————-
      Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agree SmartDog, as usual!

• thebonscott says:

I’m a believer too.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

• twilighthours says:

Really? Legitimate, skilled NHL players have a hard time reaching 20 goals, and you’re already anointing a wobbly 18-year-old the same status.

I’ll reserve judgement for a while yet.

• Eddie says:

McCarron has a long journey ahead before he scores 20 goals at the NHL level. I hope he scores 20 in London this year, but that’s not guaranteed either.

• SmartDog says:

Really skilled players don’t have a lot of trouble reaching 20 most seasons. And we’re talking about a first rounder, not some depth guy (and obviously what he’ll reach, not what he could do today).

From what I’ve seen he’s quite skilled and then with an attribute in his size and reach that ads to the package. He has good hands, good smarts, and is fearless. Gallagher’s turned that into good success already, I see no reason McCarron won’t.

————————————-
          Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

• twilighthours says:

20 goals in 82 games equated to 12 in 48. 92 players scored 12 goals last year. Here’s a list of some of the players that missed the cut:

Henrik Zetterberg
            Brad Boyes
            David Krejci
            Patrice Bergeron
            Vincent Lecavalier
            Jordan Staal

12. thebonscott says:

any chance some team out there is desperate enough to need budaj, i wonder……tokarski can’t be that bad???

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

13. Luke says:

Former Hab Great… well HIO Fav, Frederick St. Denis placed on waivers by Columbus.

A bunch of other guys placed on waivers too… None of them household names. Except for former Leaf saviour Christian Hanson.

14. krob1000 says:

Markov should take a discount…and his partner can pay him part of his salary out of his. IT is a win-win-win….partner will have bigger payday down the road, Markov gets more money and the Habs have a lower cap hit!

• doc359 says:

“I’ll buy you dinner every night in exchange for me looking like a stud so the leafs give me $16 million to play in the AHL then sit on my ass at home”
      I’d take that deal in a heart beat

• Les-Habitants says:

You have GOT to be kidding me… BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH.

My favorite is at the end when they say “as they proved last spring, they have enough talent to threaten anybody in the playoffs”

Uhh…you got knocked out in the first round after blowing the biggest lead in Game 7 history.

15. Les-Habitants says:

I hearby vote that Tinordi’s new nickname should be Tiny

16. shiram says:

Just read that our D-corps is already decimated…
    Bouillon day to day, lower body injury
    same for Murray
    And Drewiske out 4 weeks with a shoulder injury.

Good thing none of those are part of our top 4. Could give a nice chance to our rookies.

17. Phil C says:

Markov has several good years left in him. He is one of the best PP quarterbacks in the league, if not the best. Subban doesn’t win the Norris without him in the lineup. With parity in the league, your special teams become really important, having a guy like Markov almost guarantees a potent PP. I hope they can keep him.

The only reason to let him walk would be for cap reasons. But I would move Gorges before letting Markov go for cap reasons.

18. Hobie Hansen says:

@ Ghots of the Forum – I agree with you to a certain extent. When Emelin returns, send Diaz to the press box or whatever box is available high in the rafters!

Throw Tinordi and Emelin out on the 2nd PP. Tinordi can probably hold the line better than Diaz anyway and has shown that he can stick handle well through the neutral zone as well. He’s not some stone handed goon! Plus subban stays out there for the entire duration half the time anyway!!!!

I’d probably have Murray in the lineup instead of Pateryn.

Next year Markov and Diaz will be gone so we’ll have room for Beaulieu and Pateryn.

• bwoar says:

Diaz/Markov were dynamite on the PP last year at the outset and I think there’s an argument to keep the Swiss out there. I think Emelin is a natural choice, he’s shown some decent offensive skills, but whoever it is, I’d be looking for Diaz to shoot and have someone setting him up.

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

Agree….anyone who can shoot and is paired with Markov on a pp will be dynamite…Markov opens seams up, his ridiculously smart and when he makes a pass it always in the wheelhouse. It is too bad Markov has aged and he can’t be the one staying on for the duration of the pp…that is what would make it really lethal on both waves. Diaz though is the next best pp guy and if Subban goes down he is the man that will be relied on heavily. Everyone worries about Markov…rSubban has escaped injury so far but he plays a pretty rough and tumble game …at some point he too may be injured…if that happened…even Markov can’t make one of the others a pp guy. Only Diaz has that ability. Too much is mad eof him occasionally losing a puck battle.
        Komsiarek, Souray, Steit, MAB, O’Byrne…just some of the guys who Markov made look better than they were at times. Not sure how much MAB played with him cut those are guys I associate witht he Markov effect.

19. Sportfan says:

In my NHL 14 game I have Tavares on my team he has more fights than anyone on my fourth line O.o

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

20. habbernack says:

MB keeps on mentioning character….I guess we’ll find out what kind of character Louis has.

21. Kooch7800 says:

I figured out why Murray has a lower body injury:

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Glad to see all the players were so intently focused on the stretching/yoga instructions…

23. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I wouldn’t mind having Pateryn and Tinordi start the season, to be honest.

Subban – Tinordi (yep, I’m that high on him)
    Gorges – Pateryn
    Markov – Bouillon

Trade Diaz to a team looking for PP help, Murray is your 7th dman and insurance if Pateryn can’t keep up.

Granted, the second wave of the PP wouldn’t be great, but screw it , keep PK out there the whole time and replace Markov with any one of them.

• Bill says:

You just gave one rookie top-two minutes, two rookies top-four minutes, and destroyed the power-play. Do you think your evaluation of the readiness of Tinordi and Pateryn is realistic? They played easy minutes last year.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I definitely think Tinordi is. Pateryn not as sure of, but he could definitely be moved down the third pairing and, as I said, Murray is there if not. I think he’s earned a shot to prove himself.

As for the PP — with Marky and PK, the second unit won’t get that much ice time anyway ;)

• jrshabs1 says:

Destroy the power play by trading Diaz? Habs are in worse shape than I thought.

Go Habs Go!!

• Phil C says:

I am big on Tinordi and Pateryn as well, but they are not both ready for top four minutes. One of them, maybe as the fourth guy.

I would keep Diaz before Bouillon, he’s a better PKer, better on the power play, and just as good 5-on-5. Also a RH shot, so you would have 3 lefties and 3 righties.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I agree, and I would rather see Boullion or Murray kept as the 7th Dman. I didn’t like seeing Weber sit when he was still only 21 and 22. I would have rather he played in Hamilton than get 0 ice time for the Habs. I think keeping Pateryn and Tinordi in that situation will harm their potential.

• Haberoooo13 says:

100% I think Weber could’ve been a good 2nd unit PP guy but was ruined by the JM era.
          7th dmen and 13th forwards should not be prospects.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• LUKE(y Leblanc) says:

Jeepers. We’d be a team looking for PP help with this D core.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Tinordi is not going to be a top pairing guy at any point in his career. That’s not his game. He doesn’t have the puck moving skills and while he is a decent skater, he isn’t going to dazzle anyone with his speed. He is a defence first player that fortunately has the size to be a physically imposing force. He has other intangibles too that make him intriguing but he is not a top pairing defenceman.

24. habsguru says:

every interview with Markov feels forced and painfull. worst pr hab in a long time

• Cal says:

He’s not a Hab because he’s a media whore, that’s for sure. He probably views the media as a necessary evil.

• Mattyleg says:

I couldn’t care less about his PR skills.
      He does the interviews because he has to.
      He doesn’t have to like doing them.
      He was hired to be a top defenceman, not a spokesmodel.

It’s kind of like me, reading posts with no attention to spelling or grammar, indicating a lack of respect for the reader. I do it despite not enjoying it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Oh come on Matty, these are more great reasons to dislike Habs players. How dare some guy who has learned English as his second language not come off more like pretty boy Lupul or Kadri. Lets get rid of Markov before he turns all those teammates into crusty people who play the game at an all star level!

• Strummer says:

I’d rather listen to Markov with his bluntness and honesty any day instead of the Gorges cliche machine.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• New says:

The best interview I ever saw him give was when he was coming back from his knee injury and the press was tagging along. He visited the locker room and PK had his gear strewn across Markov’s space. Markov hadn’t even looked at the room for months but he suddenly turned to PK and said words to the effect “Is that your __.” PK smiled. Markov deadpanned and said words to the effect “Get it out of there now.” PK did.

• DeadEnd says:

From what I understand, he is a very shy person who prefers to keep hi s personal life private. That being said, he always seems to be there for interviews and even took part in that series a few years back where they followed him around for a day.

He knows his responsibilities.

• Luke says:

PK plays the counter point. Put them together and you get the average speak but say nothing NHLer.

25. Morenz7 says:

So the stretching lady says:
    “If anyone has a blockage—something that’s preventing them from moving faster or being more agile—they often don’t know where it is.”

Pretty sure with Murray, it’s his whole body.

And Price? Between his ears.

26. Morenz7 says:

Jaysus, could they not find Markov some matching socks?