There is no joy in Beantown…

shake

Well, there would have been a handshake either way at the end of Game 7. Who predicted at the start of the series that the team seen at the bottom of this shot would knock off the team at the top?
Steve Babineau, NHLI via Getty Images

… for the mighty Bruins have struck out.

In this bizarre playoff season, it probably makes sense that the defending Stanley Cup champions are out in the first round. After all, their opponent in last season’s final, the Vancouver Canucks, are also toast.

Joel Ward’s goal 2:57 into overtime Wednesday at TD Garden, coming on a botched Bruins line change, gave the Washington Capitals a 2-1 win over the Bruins, sending the Caps into the Eastern semis and dispatching Boston into a very, very early summer.

Tonight: The Ottawa Senators can bounce the East’s No. 1 seed with a Game 7 win over the Rangers in New York. And in Sunrise, Fla., the Panthers and New Jersey Devils are sudden-death, too.

Ouch: Chicago GM Stan Bowman pretty directly calls out goaltender Corey Crawford, and special teams, for the Blackhawks’ early exit.

1. gmur says:

The end of the big bad Bruins
    Those over-inflated goons;
    They lost ‘gainst the Caps
    In a colossal collapse,
    Your turn for a limerick, Sir Boone!

Or Sir Stubbs…
    Bruin, Boone… you get the picture…

Well done, the gauntlet has been laid. Your best jousts will be with Sir Bellyfull and Sir Punkster. They have some serious Shakespearean talents.

Edit: Probably should include Sir Mattyleg, he too can speak with forked tongue, but haven’t read as much of his work lately.

2. shiram says:

Willie O’Ree must be very proud.

• Chuck says:

I know, eh? Sheesh…

___________________________________________________

I was really pulling for the Bruins last night, this is going to be a tough day…..

Anybody buying what I am selling? Horsesh%t for sale here.

• Habfan10912 says:

I thought your account got hacked! Lol

———————————–

Congrats on filing the retirement papers Jim. I am guessing your sports appettite will allow you to see many events over the coming years, that is awesome!

• Bripro says:

I would like a city-sized load of what you’re selling please.
      Then, I want to book the largest air carrier I can find and dump it on those racist Bostonian bigots!.
      From what I can tell, they’ve made no progress since Ed Kennedy tried to integrate Boston schools in the 70s, or (even worse), when the Celtics’ fans broke into Bill Russel’s home and defecated in his bed. And this while he was leading them to another championship.
      They truly are pathetic, and it’s only appropriate that Jack Edwards is their spokesman.

Bri’ I agree that those tweets were disgusting, but I think we need to be careful how much we label “boston” fans as racist. I still see it here in Ontario, essentially almost everywhere one goes. Don’t get me wrong I hate the Booins, but we got bad apples in our neighbourhoods too.

Loved the fact you squeezed 50bucks out of the kid, that is awesome!!!

Sorry if I came off as lecturing earlier there, didn’t mean to.

• Bripro says:

You saw that eh? Yeah, pretty funny. The kid only works a few hours/week and tries to help us support his little guy.
          So you can be sure I’ll be giving it back to him in one form or another, but it’s pretty sweet to watch him eat a bit of crow.
          He came to me this morning borrowing my tester for his exam in electricity. I told him he’ll need to buy one and he said:
          “I was able to afford a decent one until last night…..” LOL.

• Habsolutely says:

I agree with you Gerry. I saw it when I lived in Quebec, I saw it when I lived in Ontario, I saw it in the maritimes, and I see lots of it here in US of A. Racism is alive and well and it’s everywhere.

4. Morenz7 says:

According to Jack Edwards, the Caps won by playing “negative” hockey. Dude’s priceless:

5. frontenac1 says:

Cleghorn, Rhesus Monkey on Benzedrine! Classic! I almost wet my pants laughing !

6. gmur says:

Love how well Hamrlik played against the Bruins.

7. gmur says:

When all is said and done, the Bruins’ best players didn’t perform. It’s a sunny day, made sunnier still by the Bruins being gone…

Love that Hunter sat Ovechkin and won. Maybe he’ll learn that to be a winner, you have to play as a team.

8. FanCritic says:

I don’t like Racism But it is what it is – it’s everywhere even in Montreal or they wouldn’t have cared about RC coaching the Montreal Canadians.
    color and language shouldn’t matter especially in sports (winning) should be the only thing that matters all that other crap disregard it…

• Mattyleg says:

Man, you can’t even spell your own team’s name right, so I won’t bother going into how your other ‘point’ is absurd, misinformed, and blatantly incorrect.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Jackal says:

It’s not racism, it’s just a cultural issue that for some reason gets spun to imply some kind of discrimination – that’s not what it is, why is it so hard to understand this issue? Gaaaaah

9. Habshire says:

From the twilight zone Caps farm team also scores 2:57 into overtime last night:

10. arcosenate says:

Tea Party Tim is gone. No more Lucic, Chara, Marchand or Ference uglying up my TV screen. Today is a good day.

11. D Mex says:

And after the 7th game
    There was NO joy in Beantown
    So sayeth the ghost of Lord Stanley

ALWAYS Habs
    [all say] Amen -
    :-)
    D Mex

12. Mattyleg says:

Zoiinggg!!
    Booboos out!
    That’s so nice and satisfying.
    And to whom? A SEVENTH-place team, you say?
    Proving that once you’re in the playoffs, anything can happen?
    Is that what it is?

Y’know, I was thinking last night about certain posters’ penchants for putting up stats to show that most Cups have been won by top-5 teams, or, at a push to support this kind of argument, top-10 teams.

I realized a very obvious thing, ruminating on this: Those stats prove absolutely nothing, because every situation is completely different, involving an entirely different set of variables in which ‘hockey’ is the only constant. Comparisons can only be accurately done if the factors are the same.

SO… it’s all about getting into the playoffs. At that point, anything can happen.
    ESPECIALLY in the ‘Age Of Parity.’

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. boing007 says:

Tim Thomas Mea Culpa on Facebook yet?

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

14. tote-road says:

Does this mean Colin Campbell has the rest of the summer off? Opens up the cottage a bit early this year, perhaps?

15. habsfan0 says:

If New Jersey and Ottawa win tonight, then the top 4 seeds in the Eastern Conference will have been eliminated in the first round, a situation similar to what happened 2 years ago,when the Habs made their extended playoff run.

16. Propwash says:

Today is going to be a good day. Boston gets eliminated, and I just guessed the password for my work’s Wi-Fi connection.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

17. boing007 says:

Tee time!

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

18. ths says:

Really pathetic of Stan Bowman to blame his Goalie and special teams like that. That’s not leadership. It’s his responsibility that those people were in place to fail.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

19. LesHabs says:

Who’s going to win tonight:

New York / Ottawa
    Florida / New Jersey

20. Bigdawg says:

Out of the teams that remain in the East, Washington is by far my favorite.

Nice to see Hammer contributing and in a big way (not resigning him was a mistake). He is a real leader out there. However I’m concerned the caps may start giving him too many mintues and burn him out like the habs did.

21. Ali says:

Since we’re starting a new page i’ll repost this

I am issuing a reward of my undying love and respect for the fellow poster who can find the NESN feed of the game last night so we can hear the OT goal be called by Jack Edwards.

22. LA Loyalist says:

Beaner Beatdown, in their own barn. Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch.

That and our high draft pick, almost worth it… now if Gomez would just decide to retire… and I had better not see any posts on here about us getting Luongo. Love the store (shop there all the time when I go to Markham) but the goalie… not so much.

23. Bripro says:

A friend of mine just sent me this link.
    I don’t know if it’s been posted, but has anyone seen this blatant show of Boston fan racism?
    Pathetic! I thought we were the 21st century.

• shiram says:

There are bad apples everywhere though.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Boston is the most racist city in the US.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

Is there a study on such a subject? I’d thought some of the southern States would be more racist.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Quite the opposite. When I interviewed for a medical residency at a noted Boston hospital, one of the other applicants was an African-American from Atlanta.He told me he really liked the idea of studying at this noted institution, but that he was wary of moving from Atlanta to Boston as he felt the latter was a racist city. I was surprised because, like you, I assumed that Boston was a “liberal” college town.

At about the same time there was outrage in Boston over the shooting of a pregnant white woman by a black man. Turns out her husband shot her and fabricated the story. He knew his audience, and attributing the shooting to a black man only made it a better story.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

That’s a nice story but does nothing to prove Boston is the most racist city in the USA.

• Bripro says:

I cannot believe, given the efforts of human-kind to put everyone on equal footing, that some very small-brained “humans” would revert to such idiocy and racist babble.
          I thought the Flyers’ fans were bad, but these people take the cake.
          Truly pathetic!
          Martin Luther King jr. would be so proud!

• boing007 says:

To Kill a Mockingbird all over again.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Mats Naslund says:

I don’t know about being the MOST racist city (there are still some pretty curious places in Indiana etc that have a huge KKK presence).

Still, having lived in Boston I can tell you that there is a significant “US” versus “them” that exists in certain sections of the city. That can play out in terms of nationalism, racism, sports etc. The fact that there are over 100 post-secondary schools means there is a wide range of diversity in the city – but you know when you move there that you don’t really fit in some areas.

I remember once going to a St Paddy’s day celebration in Charlestown with one of my Indian friends that was appalling. It was no problem for an outsider (myself an Irish-Canadian), but the locals didn’t take too kindly to my buddy. It was rather shocking coming from Toronto.

• Bripro says:

Thanks for the story Mats.
            It just goes to prove, given this story as well as the current human-rights violation in the form of Quebec’s bill 101, that we still have a long way to go. Pretty sad, really.

24. shiram says:

Pouliot!!! Maybe Bugs was right all along…

• Clay says:

Let’s not forget Lucic making the crucial giveaway on the first goal either. Plenty of credit to go around here. :)

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

25. arcosenate says:

LOL, this quote is from the Boston Globe:

“Though the Bruins did not win, their fortnight fight was one of the greatest first-round series in the history of sports.”

Um, that’s a crock of something and it ain’t beans…

• HabFanSince72 says:

HA HA.

Two crappy teams that can’t score.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• smiler2729 says:

Two weeks of pretty snoozy hockey and I only watched when Pittsburgh and Philly weren’t playing their road hockey or Ottawa and the Rangers weren’t hating one another…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• shootdapuck says:

Must be the delusional Kevin Dupont at work.

Series was a snoozefest!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

26. habs-fan-84 says:

This is why I was one of the few who wanted to see the Habs make the playoffs. Once you’re in, it’s a new season and anything can happen.

27. commandant says:

Bruins fans on twitter showed their true colors last night.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

28. Ali says:

question: Anyone know where i can find the NESN commentary for the highlights of last nights game? It seems to be mysteriously hard to find on their website. I want to hear Jack Edwards agony…

29. Gerry H says:

Wow, the schadenfreude on this board is thicker than a crock pot full of Boston baked beans. Hopefully, next year we’ll all have something better to cheer for than an early exit by the Bruins.

30. PrimeTime says:

Parity Parity Parity. If anyone thinks any GM is going to be able to build a powerhouse Habs team they will be sadly disappointed. All the referencing of teams that are supposably built for dynasties is baloney (sorry for the strong language). The Cup champion will win cuz of how they are playing at the right times and get the better bounces. The 100m dash is not won by seconds but by the blink of an eye. The sooner fans learn that, the more satisfied they will be.

31. Say Ash says:

Sadly, we won’t be able to see that cute Asian that sits behind Claude Julien for another season.

32. Marcusman says:

Here’s a finger for you Ference.

33. Bripro says:

That was such an easy $50!!!
    My 19-year old got obnoxious with me toward season’s end.
    You know….the Bruins’ fan!
    Laughing at the Habs’ early exit.
    Here he was, “yeah, yeah, repeat for us, and early golf for you guys”.
    So last night, as I pried the bill out of his pressing fingers…
    “so Mat, time for golf, eh?”
    With a sour puss, he answered….”only if you’re paying with my $50″.
    So sweet. I’m riding this all the way to the Stanley Cup.

• habstrinifan says:

You are a good father! Gotta teach the young’un that people are judged by the hockey team they support LOL!

Enjoy the $50. And show him how we habs fans roll… pay for him even. He’ll learn.

34. 44har48 says:

I get no joy by watching the Bruins or Maple Leafs lose or get bounced…it doesn’t make my Habs any better.

In fact it just reminds me that we have the #3 overal pick and Boston gave their fans an extra 7 games and had a chance to win it all.

35. Lafrich says:

Y’know, as a 41-year old man I thought I would care less about other teams, but I woke up this morning and I was just so happy that Lucic, Marchand, Chara, Thornton and, most of all, Tim Thomas are OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS!!!! Damn that feels good.

36. mrhabby says:

the dasterly bruins are gone. nice to see that team hitting the links. Saw Cam Neely having a hissy fit last night to funny.
    Seriously, the nhl is all about parity with any team beating anybody on any given night. now if the cup final is between Phoenix and Florida I will LMFAO all day.

37. Lafleurguy says:

I’m with the crowd in having a stronger emotional reaction to the demise of a team rather than the success of the victor. And as representative of how too many people function, there is a pile hostility being hurled at Joel Ward, and it’s not because he broke someone’s neck.

P.S. Luck is promiscuous. The bounce of the puck to Knuble from Pouliot’s attempted hard shootin turned out better than any breakout pass the Washington D attempted the whole series. Bergeron missing was identical to Gionta missing in OT last year.
    “May you live in interesting times”

38. RiverviewCanadien says:

No wonder Holtby didn’t flinch…Peverley is a wuss!

39. Cal says:

And now we can all enjoy Spring as the bears are printemperating (hibernating in Spring). Now, Nealy can go nuts and fire Julien and Chiarelli. Then, it’ll be 40 more years of Bruination. Loving it.

40. 69HABS says:

I watch the game last night bits & parts of it & all I could think of was our Habs in the 1st round last season vs the Bruins.

That goal scored in OT was justice for the flukey OT goal on Carey Price last season …

41. 123456 says:

As 99.9% of us posting a Habs fans (by the way – where are the trolls today), we are all excited to see Boston lose – but I’d be remiss if I did not remind everyone it would have been a billion times better to see the Habs knock them out.

Having said that nice politically correct piece… G0D DAMMN RUINS ARE DONE – HA HA HA. I think the win came down to the bruins putting too much focus on SEMIN.

42. PrimeTime says:

Love that the Bruins lost and are out. Changes will be coming! But does this mean all the conspiracy theories are off the table? The B’s were 1 goal away (twice) from the same last year but suddenly Hab fans all said they were going to be a dynasty! So much for the integrity of pissed off fans.

P.S. My fav camera shot last night was the look on B fans faces after they lost…….like they were in shock! Ha.

• LNev says:

conspiracy theories are off the table?

Did you not notice the Bruins being awarded a powerplay on Boychuk’s dive with 2:29 to go in the third period of a tied elimination game?

• smiler2729 says:

Oh yeah, believe me EVERYBODY NOTICED

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

43. Strummer says:

Another defending champ becomes a “One-Cup-Wonder” here in the post-lockout era.

Carolina, Tampa, Anaheim, Chicago,

Detroit and Pitt were the only teams with a chance of repeating.

Dynasty teams have gone the way of the non-concussion-inducing bodycheck.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

44. Xsteve50 says:

The only thing that makes me happier than the Bruins loosing in game 7 OT, is the knowledge that I don`t have to watch that annoying guy sing the national anthem at the Gardens until next year. THANK YOU WARD……

The Caps could be interesting from here on out through the playoffs. The team got a giant monkey off its back (no pun intended Lucic and Chara) by winning their first round series.

The team has taken on an identity similar to that of Dale Hunter (minus the chasing down of elite scorers and piledriving them 20 seconds after they score) and the elite players of Washington are getting secondary minutes.

Reminds me a bit of last year when in the first round Boston shed its monkey getting past the Habs all the while its premiere line did little to nothing in that series.

Perhaps we see a Capital team play with the same intensity and perhaps the Ovie/Backstrom/Semin players begin filling the nets. If so the rest of the Eastern Conf. could be in for a surprise.

That team will be burgeoning with confidence after that win over Boston.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I disagree. They stole a series with an insanely hot rookie keeper. Happens every year.

They’re the worst team left in the playoffs and I give them no chance against the Rangers or Flyers. In the unlikely event they meet the Devils they might win.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

I disagree with Habinburlington and agree with you. I think he is making too much of the win. Even the sure of confidence/team bonding seem tepid. But I still am rooting for them.

• smiler2729 says:

I want the Caps out now, they did their job and thanks for it but screw the Caps, screw the Ovenchicken and screw Dale freakin’ Hunter!

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• boing007 says:

Seriously folks, Chara’s stick is too long. It gives him an unfair advantage. It should be shorter.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

46. Strummer says:

One of the knocks against Patrick Roy is his lack of coaching experience above the CHL level.

See Hunter, Dale.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Hunter is not doing that great a job. Benching his stars. Yes you can eke out one goal wins with a defensive system when your goalie is standing on his head. They won’t win the cup though. Won’t likely win another series.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Malreg says:

And he has struggled all year long, with many saying he won’t be back next year.

I’m sure this may change things though.

47. Propwash says:

Stay classy Bruin fans.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

48. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

HAVE A NICE TIME GOLFING YOU WHINEY LITTLE SCUMBAGS!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• MontrealAtheist says:

It’s funny you say that because we (in Montreal) have been golfing for a long time already … Judging by our poor performance in the second half of the season it seems that many players started golfing before the end of the season already.

• Clay says:

The glass half empty version – thanks for that.
        The glass half full version has us playing 7 less games than the bruins, but getting a significantly higher pick.
        One can only hope it’s significantly better as well.

__________________________
        ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• boing007 says:

I wonder if Chara’s golf clubs are as long as his hockey sticks?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

49. Posted by Rob earlier.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

50. bel33 says:

Did anyone else (I’m sure you did) catch all the reports of the racist Bruins fans’ comments about Joel Ward last night? Horrible really. I retweeted Alex Semin’s comment which was basically some trash talk is acceptable… but all the racist comments were horrible.

51. Absolutely love the outcome, but does anyone think the OT goal should have been called off?

Poor Poor Boston, upset by an 7th place team. That’s brisk baby!

Anything can happen!

OK anyone wishing to attend batting practice tonight is more than welcome, I promise I won’t hit ya…..hard.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

I suppose if I have one last request of these playoffs, it is that Philly not win the Stanley Cup. I think all other remaining teams I can handle winning a Stanley Cup.

• One last wish for you G, consider it done.

I’m cheering for Nashville vs Florida. I want to see the ratings on that series final :lol:

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• neumann103 says:

Or Phoenix. On principle. It is not that I hold anything against the players there or the local community of blue-rinse non-hockey-watchers, just that this farce of the NHL running that franchise for several years in bankruptcy instead of moving it to a hockey market like Hamilton or Quebec cannot be rewarded or supported in any way.

I hate the Phildelphia Flyers more than life itself, so it is certainly true that anything is preferable to Philly winning. I just have this one caveat.

“Et le but!”

• MontrealAtheist says:

Let’s be a good sport about it, mate … We messed up this season, so anybody with the right combination of skill and luck might as well go all the way and win the Cup.

Personally, if it’s not us I couldn’t care less if it’s the Coyotes, Caps or the Flyers who bring home Lord Stanley’s cup.

53. homerbowen says:

Very happy this morning. Happy that the Bruins lost, still happy that the Canucks lost and still thrilled that the Laffs did not make the playoffs. But, still sad our Habs are not there, however, I plan to sit back, relax and enjoy the remaining playoff games as I no longer care who wins or looses just want lots of OT games.

54. Old Bald Bird says:

The afterglow this morning is much like having a cig or pizza after romance.

55. RGM says:

Is there a photoshop somewhere of Joel Ward as Luke Skywalker blowing up the Death Star (a giant Bruins logo)? Because there should be.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

56. JohnBellyful says:

I woke up this morning with a splitting headache, terrible cramps, a left eye that was twitchy, a flare-up of bursitis, a hacking cough, a clump of hair that was missing, a couple of canker sores, a distended navel, beating eardrums, runny nose and a urinary tract infection — then I remembered the Bruins are out of the playoffs and all the pain went away.
    I’m sending CDs of the game to emergency departments, intensive care units, hospices, and addiction clinics to serve as a pain reliever. Oh, yes, I’m also sending copies to Jack Edwards and the gang — to add to their suffering.

Oh man John, that is quite a graphic picture of how you woke up. Good luck with that tract infection….

Edit: I cannot hit the reply button to your reply below John, sorry not touching that one.

• JohnBellyful says:

I didn’t even mention the erectile dysfunction because one really shouldn’t get too personal about one’s state of health — should one?

57. Habfan10912 says:

And Banjo gets booted. Great job mods. Its ok to insult me but when you start insulting Smiler you’ve earned the boot. Thank you mods.

———————————–

• smiler2729 says:

You’re a true linemate.

I think Banjo’s hilarious, he blows through here like a twister with Tourette’s spewing all his bad grammer insults at everybody and then disappears.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Lafleurguy says:

How do you find out someone gets booted?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy! His post were all deleted this morning. He was pretty nasty and unhappy. I’m just assuming he was booted. Might just be a suspension I suppose.

———————————–

58. JohnBellyful says:

Now I know why people do a test on this site: to see if their comment appears.
    Hmmmmm. This one did. My last one didn’t because it was marked as spam. Personally, I thought it was more like Klik.

Would be nice to see Ottawa upset the Rangers tonight.

Not sure I care who wins the New Jersey Florida matchup.

60. Nova Scotia Voyageurs says:

: )

61. Kfourn says:

Does anyone have the NESN replay of Joel Wards’ goal. Man I wanna see what that clam Jack Edwards reaction was.

• smiler2729 says:

I heard his mommy had to come pick him up cuz he couldn’t drive home with all those tears in his eyes.

(my 7 year old came up with that line)

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Tell your 7 year old he’s won the HIO post of the day!

———————————–

Sounds like you have raised that kid right. You need to have a sit down wth Bri, his kid turned out to be a Bruin fan. We need to work with Bripro.

• Habfan10912 says:

Well Gerald, sometimes our children don’t turn out the way we wish but we must continue to love them anyway. I’m sure Bri has many regrets and we shouldn’t pile on at this time. :)

———————————–

62. DarthAlexander says:

Maybe we should name April 26th Benny Day in his honor and make it a national holiday.

“We only have one person to blame, and that’s each other.” – Berry Beck

63. smiler2729 says:

About Last Night:
    Buh-bye Boston, thank you hockey gods.

And now, the sweet hereafter…
    Timmy can concentrate on toppling his gov’t with good buddy, uncle Ted… a-wang dang, sweet poontang!

Julien can pop that turtle head of his back into its shell…

Ference can fix that glove…

Chara can go do his summer job butlering for Gomez, Tish and playing his harpsichord for uncle Fester…

Lucic can go back to his nest high in the B.C. Rockies and regurgitate all that chowdah he’s saved up all winter for his babies…

Patsy Bergeron can walk the pier at Old Orchard Beach in his Nordiques jersey and his Speedo with his black socks and sandals…

Tuukka can go whack his stick…

Those Bruins with li’l boo-boos can visit ol’ Dr. Recchi for the most excellent reliable care since Rodney Dangerfield’s Dr. Vinnie Boomba.

And last but least, Marchand can spend his long off-season getting more mispelled tattoos and crawling back into that place where the sun don’t shine since he’s Richard Gere’s favourite “pet”, urban legend or not.

Cruel? Maybe, but fair…

(Re-posted and edited from last night’s joyous celebrations on the live blog thread. Thanks also to lizardking89)

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• smiler2729 says:

Well there’s more than enough to go around, apart from the question mark that is the Phoenix Coyotes, there are shaky franchises in Florida, Long Island and New Jersey.

I can’t see the NHL letting the Devils or the Isles go though.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• neumann103 says:

The proposed location is probably about a mile and a half west of my office. I live about the same distance north of the Air Canada Centre.

It would be a nightmare for the already horrible traffic. I would probably be forced to buy season tickets becasue I sure as heck will not be able to drive on game nights.

“Et le but!”

• 24 Cups says:

It sounds like you’re a Rob Ford kind of guy:-)

One of the main features of this plan is the fact that the GO Transit line is right in the middle of this development. Fans could take the subway/Go train connections to the game without ever using their cars.

This might be totally off the wall, but I can also eventually see a light rail transit line running straight across Hwy 7 or the 407 corridor. The GTA needs to do some major catching up in terms of mass transit.

• Lafleurguy says:

Won’t launch for many reasons which make for very boring reading on a brilliant morning after. I’m really down on scheming multi-millionaires who latch on to a populist movement to cram their coffers with more easy money. Jim Balsillie had a genuine love of hockey and attachment to hometown Kitchener, and was willing to pay off the Coyote’s huge debts and pay more than the current asking price from the owners, the NHL. He also wants to make billions, no doubt, but not as the only purpose of bringing a team to the Hamilton-Kitchener corridor. The Markham taxpayers should cheer when this gossip item blows over.

“May you live in interesting times.”

“Stan Bowman said losing gritty forward Dan Carcillo to a season-ending knee injury in January hampered the club.”

Gimme a break. How can losing a thug have cost you your season?

• twilighthours says:

Steve, I imagine an NHL GM would have a better insight to this than you or I would.

• JohnBellyful says:

And all presidents and prime ministers know what they’re doing …

• neumann103 says:

Carcillo is one of those asshats for whom everyone else on the team has to apologize. You can say all you want about “Hate to play against him but love to have him on your team” but in my experience those types are dressing room poison.

I think it is a perfectly legitimate criticism of the GM’s statement. If I were a Chicago Blackhawk I would be offended at the suggestion that we imploded due to losing a cheap shot artist in the act of cheap shotting an opponent.

“Et le but!”

65. Clay says:

Good times, good times!
    I have to wonder about Overchkin though. He used to be such an impact player, but now the Caps win in spite of him, rather than because of him.
    Well, whatever – the right outcome to the game, and the world is a better place today!

__________________________
    ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• 24 Cups says:

Ovechkin used to be part of the big three along with Crosby and Malkin. He now sits at number five as Giroux and Stamkos have passed him by.

• Clay says:

Watching this series, I’m not sure he even cracks the top 100. No impact on the series at all, really. Just amazing to see…I wonder if his problems were caused by a messy break-up or something? Because there is something going on in his head…we all know the talent is there

__________________________
        ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Clay says:

Honestly, I don’t really care how they do in the second round. This was the match-up that mattered. And ‘those 2 pussiees’ [sic] were on the team that came out on top. Cheers to that.

__________________________
      ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

If the New York Rangers eliminate Ottawa in Game 7, they’ll play the Capitals. If the Florida Panthers win over the Devils and the Senators defeat the Rangers, the Capitals play the Philadelphia Flyers. If the Devils win and the Senators win, then the Capitals will face the Devils as all four top seeds will have been eliminated.

67. JUST ME says:

I have to admire the way many fans of Hio commented the Bruins final lost yesterday. Although words were to say the least rather blunt, it leaves no doubt on the general feeling about what can be called a happy event .
    I came here with a tamed outsider analysis with a little restraint on my happiness trying to explain what just happened but clearly the general mood was more of an open and definite orgy of relief and revenge.
    That was cool to read and made my day !

I have to agree that Chara`s face was a good resume of the outcome of the Bruins season. Beaten,bruised and helpless.

• MontrealAtheist says:

The Bruins are out but let’s not forget that they accomplished something that we were miles away this season: They made the play-offs!

Having finished last in the conference we have absolutely no right to make fun of them considering our sucky performance this season.

68. Dave Stubbs says:

So last night I tweeted this and 10 minutes later I was trending nationally on Twitter because of the flood of retweets. (Might have struck a chord with Habs fans/Bruins critics.)

@habsinsideout1: Panthers fans ask, “If we’re not allowed to throw rats on the ice, why can Julien?” #marchand

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

69. RGM says:

I may just surround myself with like-minded people, but my Facebook feed was a burst of pure joy last night when Ward popped the winner. Everybody was just so happy. Today, I woke up, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and Zdeno Chara is the biggest loser in the world.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

70. Habfan10912 says:

Surprised that there was not an incident at the hand shake given the Bruins total lack of class. That being said it is a good day for hockey. Wouldn’t want to be Daddy Campbell today as he has to explain to Mom why Greggy is sad.

———————————–

71. stnbog says:

Live from Boston:
    Nice and quiet, this is going to be a beautiful DAY.

72. gmur says:

ditto for the ‘suck’ parts…

73. Mr. Biter says:

I also stop watching hockey when the Habs season ends but I believe they’ve been talking to possible GM candidates, but all have turned the Habs down.
    I’m afraid of who we will be forced to hire.

Mr. Biter