There is no joy in Beantown…

shake

Well, there would have been a handshake either way at the end of Game 7. Who predicted at the start of the series that the team seen at the bottom of this shot would knock off the team at the top?
Steve Babineau, NHLI via Getty Images

… for the mighty Bruins have struck out.

In this bizarre playoff season, it probably makes sense that the defending Stanley Cup champions are out in the first round. After all, their opponent in last season’s final, the Vancouver Canucks, are also toast.

Joel Ward’s goal 2:57 into overtime Wednesday at TD Garden, coming on a botched Bruins line change, gave the Washington Capitals a 2-1 win over the Bruins, sending the Caps into the Eastern semis and dispatching Boston into a very, very early summer.

Tonight: The Ottawa Senators can bounce the East’s No. 1 seed with a Game 7 win over the Rangers in New York. And in Sunrise, Fla., the Panthers and New Jersey Devils are sudden-death, too.

Ouch: Chicago GM Stan Bowman pretty directly calls out goaltender Corey Crawford, and special teams, for the Blackhawks’ early exit.

1. Lafleurguy says:

As a student of life, today I realize that what this rapid transit of information age we live in allows is greater knowledge of how horrible many people are. There isn’t one city with an overflow of hateful toxic people, there are many. These hordes of racists did not become so yesterday; they have been that way a long time. To single out an individual as a target of hate because of the race he is part of is the antithesis of civility and civilization. The Tea Party should be ashamed. Fox News should be ashamed. Rush Limbaugh (he stated African-Americans are not intelligent enough to play the quarterback position when he chimed in on the failings of Donovan McNab) should be ashamed. The Nobel Prize committee erred in interpreting 2008 as a dawn of a new era of civility and greater harmony. When racists die, schadenfreude (thanks Gerry H.) should be felt akin to what was felt with the death of Osama bin Laden.

“May you live in interesting times.”

2. habsfaninboston says:

Great day down here in Beantown. The B’s going down was one of the top highlights of the season for me. Maybe better than PG getting canned.

3. habstrinifan says:

Shiram:
    Is there a study on such a subject? I’d thought some of the southern States would be more racist.

The South was more instituionally (legal so to speak) racist but areas like Boston have a horrific level of societal racism.

4. Just A Guy says:

So tonight we will see if, infact, it will be these eight traditional hockey markets going into their respective conference semi-finals

Florida, Ottawa, Washington, Philly (thank god for that?), Phoenix, Nashville, LA and St.Louis.

Philly, I have to say, without Carcillo and Richards doesn’t seem to have that bullyesque atmosphere to them, Pronger is Pronger but I have to say, even with Briere being somewhat of a “little puke”, there isn’t much not to like. With his 24/7 exposure, does Ilya Bryzgalov top the list of most eccentric goalies ever?

St.Louis and Washington are semi-respectable markets I suppose. If I were forced to I could include LA, but only because they had Gretzky. Got to admire what Lombardi pulled off though, even if I think Richards is a reckless head-hunter.

I can’t root for boring hockey, so go Florida? Ottawa, even though I’ve never really cheered for them, I’ve never really cheered against them. I have to say though, I just plain like the Rangers, but there were a few questionable experts saying their lunch-pail work ethic would grind the team down come playoff time and I think they were right.

So I guess, even if Ottawa and Florida make it to the Semi’s, it’s not that bad…

…right?

5. boing007 says:

Bummer in Beantown.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

6. sane hockey fan says:

I don’t know if it’s just me but it seems like these types of racist acts happen more often in hockey than in almost any other North American sport. It’s probably has something to do with the fact that African-Americans and Latinos dominate the other major sports in NA. Think about it though, there was the banana peel incident with Simmonds (there was another such incident involving Kevin Weeks at the Bell Centre), we have the unending pure HATRED directed at PK no matter what he does (i dont think ive ever seen a player so unfairly criticized or singled out so often for what seems like no reason at all most of the time) and now we have this. It’s very disheartening and disappointing to think that the sport I love so much has so much hatred running through it.

7. Chester says:

So So very very happy to see the Beaners out. Now with all the racist texts being shown, the rest of the of the sporting world will now know what kind of people cheer for that team. Good by good riddence.

8. MTLCANADIENS says:

Our prospect Jarred Tinordi is going to the finals and his captain for the London Knights. Going to be great to see him in the finals and memorial cup this year

9. Stev.R says:

We got a good chance at seeing 4 prospects at the memorial cup this spring. Bournival, Ellis, Tinordi and Beaulieu.

10. commandant says:

When do the 2nd round series start? Any of the western ones start tomorrow?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

11. Miltie01 says:

Whatever the Flyers have accomplished by beating the Penguins they have totally undone by doing this !!!

I hope they go out 4 straight in the next round.

haha, i hope that whole group gets far too overconfident with themselves. Good thing they had dry island and got rid of those beer swilling Richards and Carter!

• mark_ID says:

What was said about PK??

“Step off George”

• 24 Cups says:

Boston is going to have to make an interesting call on Thomas. On one hand, he has one year left on his contract, with a salary of $3M and a cap hit of $5M. Rask is ready to step in and is a RFA. Khudobin or a dime a dozen backup like Budaj can be had for under a mil to act as an understudy. That would free up 4M to spend elsewhere and rid the team of a diminishing asset.

On the other hand, a Thomas/Rask combo would be perfect for one more kick at the can in 2013. After all, Thomas did get the Bruins into overtime of the 7th game while letting in only one goal. He certainly did his job. Boston lost because their forwards (and PP) couldn’t score.

Of course if there’s a lockout that would change everything and probably end Thomas’ days with the Bruins.

• Just A Guy says:

Is it becoming an old story? You don’t really ever miss Ryder, but you wonder why those important goals he scores can’t seem to be replaced.

12. KLear says:

I don’t understand everyone’s willingness to trade Plekanec. This is a team that is loathe to say the R word (Rebuilding) for fear of driving fans off. None of this year’s top 5 picks are going to become starting centremen at the 1 or 2 hole in October, so you need to replace Pleks with a full time starting centreman (where are you going to get one of those – Walmart ?) Otherwise, you replace him with picks and accept that we are finishing in the bottom third for the next 2-3 years. He’s one of the best 2nd line centers in the league, and notwithstanding size, can compete for the 1 hole. So why trade a known quantity who’s happy to be here with a question mark ?

With all due respect to DD, we all thought Cammy, Gomer, and Gio were too small so why would we keep DD ? There’s no logic here. Pleks can be a long serving centreman for a long time while the picks develop around him. I like DD, but as soon as a centreman arrives with size he is optional.

Someone help me out here! Andree told me she saw a report about Serge Savard having talks with Saint Patrick Roy, about his future plans, pertaining to the NHL.

Did anyone catch wind of this!!

There is fantastic JOY in Hab town, now that the beans have broken wind, out of the play offs!!!!

I thought this was a great line, no response??? Oh well, just my warped mind I guess.

15. TomNickle says:

Plekanec, Morgan Ellis and a 2nd rounder for Columbus’ second overall pick.

Yes or No?

I’m an overwhelming yes.

• christophor says:

Of course, but even Howson wouldn’t go for that.

Edit: Plek and Ellis to move up from (I’m guessing) 33rd to 2nd. Not enough. Howson could definitely get a better deal.

• mark_ID says:

just curious…who would you choose with the 2nd and 3rd pick??

“Step off George”

• arcosenate says:

Why do you want to get rid of Plekanec so much? There’s noone to replace him with. Eller’s not there yet. The money’s not outrageous, he’s a very useful player.

• TomNickle says:

On a rebuilding team his presence only serves as a road block to Desharnais and Eller’s development.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’d add Louis Leblanc to that list too.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
          – Sean Bonjovi

• Cal says:

Habs will not rebuild that much. Retool, yes, rebuild, I doubt it.
          UFAs not returning are Campoli, Moen (concussion), Darche and Staubitz.
          RFAs to sign: Eller, Geoffrion, Palushaj, Nokia, Emelin, Diaz, Subban, St-Denis, Price and Brendon Nash.
          It’s is likely that Diaz has punched a ticket for Hamilton. Palushaj and Geoffrion will join him. Nokia will be either traded or demoted, as well. Gomez must be buried in Hamilton.
          Returning and under contract (likely):
          Pleks, Gionta, Cole, Bourque, Pac, DD, Markov, Kaberle, Gorges and Budaj.
          PK, Emelin and Price are slam dunks to be signed.
          Needs: 1 or 2 sizeable Dmen with experience and hitting ability. A hard hitting 4th line, including a healthy White.
          This summer will be very interesting.

• boing007 says:

Desharnais, so far, is strictly offensive material. Backchecking or digging pucks out of the Habs defensive zone is not his forte. Plekanec is a bonafide two-way player.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• shiram says:

I would not be opposed to such a deal.

• Stev.R says:

Then we would have too many centers again. Desharnais, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Eller. Not to mention guys like Leblanc and Bournival who may be able to switch to the wing.

I don’t think we need both those guys, nor do I think CBJ would do it because they need someone to replace Nash and Pleks wouldn’t cut it.

Although, I wouldn’t be against trading up into the mid first round and getting a solid winger. Maybe not a superstar, but someone who can put the puck in the net and won’t get pushed around.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

There’s no guarantee that the 2nd overall pick turns out to be as good as Pleks, Eillis, or the 33rd overall pick. Doesn’t seem likely that he’d be better than all three.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Cal says:

Switch Pleks to DD and I’d consider it. ;)
      Columbus will keep their pick, nevertheless.

• commandant says:

I’d do it. But it is unlikely either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk have as big an impact next year as Plekanec would be likely to have.

If you do the deal you need to be prepared to miss the playoffs next season, as I think that is the likely outcome.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

16. oneslowfiveoh says:

Like to give Dale Hunter some props on managing the massive egos. Grinders won this series. Caps playing like a “team” could be tough to beat.

17. mark_ID says:

This is in response to 24 Cups about the Sens….

I was born and raised in Ottawa..and I am fully on their bandwagon cheering them on right now.

As for who has the brighter future….I honestly think that we still do. In fact, I truely believe that next year we will finish ahead of them in the standings, once we shore up a few issues in the off season.
    Not to mention, that their captain will be retiring within a year or two. Not to sure how their leadership will look without him. Spezza won’t be the man to do it..

When we played Ottawa this year, we were the better team. Of course, overall they were better…..but once we fix our defenceman situation, and get some wingers for Plex….I see us passing them in the standings. Maybe it is just me.

PS….I watch quite a few Sens game every year…along with every Habs game.

“Step off George”

• TomNickle says:

I believe you’re assuming that Markov, Gorges and Plekanec are still Habs this coming September.

• mark_ID says:

Why wouldn’t they be……?

If they get traded fine…but will be traded for roster players im sure.

“Step off George”

• shiram says:

Tom believes the new GM will wanna put his stamp on the team, and the best way would be to move key pieces like the one he mentions.

• mark_ID says:

Well none of the three he mentioned are really a huge part of the future, except maybe Gorges….

But I wouldn’t want to see any of them traded no.

“Step off George”

• TomNickle says:

Only partially true. A new GM will want to put their stamp on this team, it’s a matter of when not if.

I’m merely acknowledging that no player is safe from being traded.

• shiram says:

Sure, no one is safe, it’s just that it’s only speculation as to what this new GM will do.
            But you say it with such certainty that this new GM will move those player, you have been especially insistent pertaining to Pleks also.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah Shiram he’s gone, done, finito.

This team is rebuilding. It has Desharnais and Eller and is about to draft one of Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, both centremen and both no more than a year away.

This team if it is rebuilding will not keep a $5 million dollar second line centreman when it has three of them on the roster.

Regardless of how valuable he is to this team, it’s rebuilding and if its hockey operations department wants to find out what it has in the system Plekanec cannot occupy roles that Desharnais or Eller could in finding out what their ceilings are.

He will not be a Hab beyond this season.

• shiram says:

To be fair Tom your constant arguments about trading Pleks have softened my resolve, I still think keeping him would be better, but there are definite trade scenario that could benifit the Habs.
            To me it’s a matter of how Molson and this new GM want to go about improving the Habs.
            Keeping Pleks is a safe move, moving him is the risk, so depeding on how they wanna approach this rebuild, and how long they wanna rebuild, they will either keep or trade him.
            I’ve been thinking that trading him at the trade deadline would probably be the best way to get value from Pleks.

• TomNickle says:

This is the funny thing for me. Everyone here seems to acknowledge that change is coming but without a GM in place not many seem willing to acknowledge that no roster player is safe and that if roster players are traded it will be in exchange for other roster players.

There’s nothing stopping the new GM from trading anyone on this roster for whatever return they can get provided Molson is okay with it.

That probably means that Subban, Price, Desharnais and Leblanc are the only players who you could reasonably say you’d be shocked to see moved.

• mark_ID says:

My point was though that I think Montreal’s future looks brighter then the Sens…….I have no clue what trades the new GM, might or might not do.

“Step off George”

• 24 Cups says:

Tom – + MaxPac, he’s the 3rd building block right now, not DD or Leblanc.

BTW, I guess we see things from a totally different perspective when it comes to a new GM. A decreased cap, a possible lockout, a weak UFA market and an AHL team full of rookies this fall tells me it might be prudent to sit tight for awhile until we see where the dust settles. No GM has to blow up the ship just to impress me.

• TomNickle says:

My point is that it’s essentially a coin flip as to how the new GM decides to rebuild. The new GM could decide to tear this thing down and start from scratch or they could decide that the team is a couple of pieces away from contending annually.

So saying that we’re in a better position today than the Senators while not incorrect or correct is an assumption.

• mark_ID says:

Of course it is an assumption….but it is still my opinion/

I could also say we will be better then Boston next year….that would also be an assumption….doesn’t make it wrong or right.

I just don’t believe that the Montreal Canadiens are as far off track as our record showed this year.

“Step off George”

• RGM says:

Nothing except for, y’know, no-trade clauses.

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
            “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d be worried if the GM needed the approval of Mr. Molson. We don’t have a monument like Raymond Bourque or Jarome Iginla or Larry Robinson on our roster, one who must be treated with extra special deference if they are to be traded. When one of these future Hall of Famers get moved, I understand consulting with the owner to let him know what’s happening, but we don’t have these concerns.

I’ll say again, I don’t want my owner to be a Jerry Jones or George Steinbrenner. I’m saying this in response to those who blame Geoff Molson for the poor season we had, as opposed to the behaviours he displayed. Based on those, it’s clear he gets it, he’ll hire a lot of bright people and trust them to make these decisions.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• RGM says:

Tom’s overlooking three convenient letters that are attached to each man’s contract: N…T…C.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

18. jedimyrmidon says:

Keep hearing about how deep the Bruins team is. Is that really true? They didn’t have Horton and their top 6 struggled during the playoffs. On the D, they were missing McQuaid, and while the D corps wasn’t bad, they probably could have used him. (I don’t think anyone considers Savard as being remotely close to ever returning to hockey, sadly)

I guess their depth is in that, if they are healthy, they can roll 4 lines and apply severe pressure on all fronts. I’d say Vancouver last year had better depth – they had to replace so many players who were injured not before the trade deadline when they could go out looking for replacements, but during the playoffs and especially during the Cup finals. I’m pretty sure they lost half their D-corps during that series (Rome, Hamhuis, Salo?) in addition to Raymond.

• TomNickle says:

Not having Horton was a blow.

I think their loss has a lot more to do with the amount of hockey they’ve played over the last two seasons and the notion albeit speculation that they had a Stanley Cup Hangover.

A lot of the players on that team didn’t bring anything near what they did last season and post-season. Namely Lucic, Marchand and Krejci.

• HabFanSince72 says:

They are deep – they just happen to suck rotten eggs.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

19. Psycho29 says:

My favorite headline from NESN:

Dennis Seidenberg Stands Tall in Defeat, Except When He’s Going Down

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, it’s:
    Dennis Seidenberg Stands Tall in Defeat, Except When He’s Going Down to Block Shots.

20. TomNickle says:

Roberto Luongo has had one NHL season(rookie year of 24 games) where he posted a save percentage below .910

He also has only played four seasons with a goals against average above 2.50

Boy is he awful.

21. Les Canayens says:

Seeing how they were such sore winners(!) last year, it was expected that their loser’s soreness will be X 1000.

Imagine if PK Subban scores a game 7 OT goal against the Bruins, the KKK can literally setup a recruitment desk at the exit of TD Garden and promptly rebuilt its lost glory.

22. EricInStL says:

Read some of the tweets the twits who cheer for Boston wrote. You know the internet is great but it gives a platform to people who should have no voice.

The Boston Bruins organization should release a statement stating that no real fan of the Bruins should partake in that kind of statement.

It’s a sad state of affairs, makes you kinda hope that the 2012 apocalypse will wipe out the scum. I Man can dream I guess.

23. Seps says:

As far as the poll question goes, you can’t be just friends after dating someone, in other words, Randy was head coach, I think it’d just be awkward in the room if he was moved back to assistant coach.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Shiram – re the previous discussion.

My story doesn’t prove Boston is a racist town of course, it was meant as an illustration only. Many African-Americans have told me they consider Boston racist.

Many basketball players believe this too, as reported here:

The racist tweets last night would be unthinkable coming from say Atlanta or Dallas.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

25. Stev.R says:

Somebody was asking about whether Tinordi will get a shot in the NHL next season.
    This article explains how Tinordi will spend at least two years in the AHL, and could still take 2 or 3 years in the NHL before he starts to peak. He’s still a long term prospect despite how big he is.

• TomNickle says:

Anybody projecting Tinordi’s future is speculating. He’s a player who struggled considerably in his first half of his rookie season with London and was arguably the best defensive defenseman in the OHL over the second half of that same season. So naturally in the off-season people were projecting that he’d become an excellent shut down defenseman. He answers that by displaying excellent offensive abilities and intelligence at the WJHC and has been an excellent offensive producer during the playoffs(two more points in 15 less regular season games this year and seven through fourteen playoff games).

He could take two years or two months. A prospect with that size more so than others has it click at some point.

He’s 6’7 220 as a 19 year old.

And to steal part of a line from Dean Lombardi. I’d rather invest in Bernie Madoff than Hockeysfuture.

• jon514 says:

I was the one asking. Or at least one of the ones. This is an awesome analyses, thanks for sharing.

Here’s hoping he can bring his A game in Hamilton next year. It’s been a few years since Hamilton had such an interesting crop of talent and size coming in. I really didn’t care for this year’s iteration of the bulldogs and I’m hoping they clean house to let these kids coming up from junior play.

• TomNickle says:

If you’re looking for accuracy, objectivity and insight do not invest a second in hockeysfuture.com

Its system of rating teams and projecting prospects is inherently flawed and in addition a lot of the information they use is inaccurate.

• Stev.R says:

Problem with the Bulldogs this year was that all their best players were in the NHL. It was an off year.

White, Blunden, Weber, Emelin, Diaz, Desharnais, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Palushaj, Nash could have made the Bulldogs better, but they were needed in the NHL.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Note that that thread was posted in May 2011. Mr. Tinordi has made great strides in his development. The holes in his game (strength to go along with his size, skating, mobility, offence, shooting) are all being addressed and concerns are being alleviated. In short, he’s a pleasant surprise who’s ahead of schedule compared to projections when he was drafted, or even last season.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

26. TomNickle says:

This draft is a funny one.

Yakupov – nasty concussion toward the end of the season and a subsequent less than stellar performance in the first round of the OHL playoffs. Galchenyuk is cited as an injury risk but is a guy who makes a habit of cutting to the middle as a left handed shot on the right wing not an injury risk?

Galchenyuk – first overall pick of the OHL draft. Unbelievable rookie season for Sarnia. Bad injury from which he comes back late in the year, injures himself again right away and comes back yet again for the playoffs.

Grigorenko – I like him. A lot of people don’t because of “lazy play”. But as I’ve said, I’ll take a lazy Malkin over a hard working Landeskog. Maybe not a fair comparison but elite skill is elite skill and it’s something this team needs badly. If Galchenyuk and Yakupov are gone when I’m picking at #3, it’s Grigorenko all the way.

Forsberg – Great intangibles and good skill. That’s my view of him from the limited amount of I’ve seen. Many like to compare guys coming out to elder fellow countrymen. So I’ll speculate that he’s much closer to PJ Axelsson than he is to Gabriel Landeskog.

Ryan Murray – Good at everything, not elite. Safest pick in the draft by a mile but probably the lowest upside of the potentially elite defensemen in the draft.

• commandant says:

I think Murray has more offence than is seen in his WHL numbers.

The forwards on that Everett team are absolute crap.

People talk about how well Dumba played at the 2012 U18, and how many points he put up and how good of an offensive D he is, etc…. and nothing against Dumba, great tournament, great player.

But Murray actually scored more points at the 2011 U18, and still holds the record for points by a defenceman in the tourney.

He’s got offence, but its tough to get points as a dman when your forwards don’t score.

Just my take on his “upside” though.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

To clarify. I feel that Trouba and Dumba present more upside than Murray. I was very impressed with him at the WJHC. I do feel though that they present a better ceiling.

Say Weber to your Suter.

Certainly not much of a gap but I wouldn’t invest a top 5 pick in any of this draft’s defensemen and in fact would take Malcolm Subban before any of of this draft’s defensemen. His athletic ability alone is worth the investment(that’s assuming I couldn’t trade down).

27. boing007 says:

A riposte to Twitter’s post game seven racist remarks:

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

28. shiram says:

Kypreos reporting Luongo asked to be traded.

• TomNickle says:

Is he going to report that water is wet next?

;)

• shiram says:

Yeah we all saw it coming, but this makes it more official.

• Mattyleg says:

According to TSN, he made a list of teams he’d be traded to, and Toronto is on that list.

I don’t know whether to be happy or sad. His suckage would be great to see in Toronto, but he always plays well against us.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Stev.R says:

I don’t think he has made the list yet, or submitted it, but is in the process of doing so.

If I was in the NHL I would ask for a limited no trade clause where if they wanted to trade me, I would have to submit a short list of 28 teams I’de be willing to go to.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Problem is he doesn’t suck.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

29. TomNickle says:

I speculated a couple of days ago that Olli Maatta of the London Knights could sneak himself into the top 5 of the draft.

This is his first season in North America. He was the first pick of the CHL import draft as a defenseman ahead of Mikhail Grigorenko and he posted 32 points in 58 regular season games and now has 19 points in 14 playoff games collecting 3 goals and an assist in London’s final two games against Kitchener.

He’s 6’2 and nearly 200 pounds. Playing deep into the playoffs and maybe the Memorial Cup will significantly boost his value to teams selecting in the top 10.

30. Bripro says:

The B’s have been bounced
    The Canucks have been trounced
    And I can hear the Habs yelling “fore!”
    The Sham may continue
    Throughout Buttman’s venu
    And officials’ miscalls galore

I take much satisfaction
    In the obvious attraction
    Of not hearing of Jack Edwards again
    For what I am thinking
    Of the Bs fans’ tweeting
    Is that tea won’t alleviate the pain

Now we move to round two
    Where a hullabaloo
    Will carry the yearning Blues afar
    ‘Cause Halak is back
    And will weather the attack
    Of the HIO Price-bashers’ mar

For although he is gone
    His efforts live on
    As the Blues look to search and destroy
    In the end they should be
    Cup-worthy times three
    As wielding as ever there should be

Regardless who wins
    Our small victory of grins
    Has to do with the demise of the Bruins
    For third pick overall
    Will not alleviate it all
    But will subdue the pain of our ruins

So crack open a beer
    And look forward to cheer
    Another season still far from here
    And quench your warped thirst
    For not finishing first
    But we’ll celebrate, I promise, next year!

Two quick points about Ottawa.

When you look at the entire organizations from top to bottom, would it be fair to state that Ottawa is better off than the Habs moving forward into the future?

Secondly, the one Sen who doesn’t seem to be getting much press these days is Jason Spezza. He has a bit of a history as being a half-miler but he has really rebounded.

• TomNickle says:

To be fair the book is still out Steve.

They realistically have a future core of Cowen, Karlsson, Turris, Silfverberg, Zibanejad and maybe Mark Stone and Shane Prince.

Goaltending is a big question mark though I would think they’ll hit on one of Bishop or Lehner.

I think Ottawa is highly comparable to the Buffalo Sabres of a the early part of the decade.

For all of the nice prospects they have they have made some mistakes. It might be a bit too early but I think they’ll really regret passing on Sean Couturier in favour of Zibanejad. But hey, at least they didn’t take Mark Scheifele.

• 24 Cups says:

Couturier should have gone no lower than 5th overall. He dipped a bit last season due to having mono. Winnipeg went with Scheifele on the word of Hawerchuk which is fine. I guess my only comment is that you should’nt gamble too much when you have a top end pick.

Speaking of which……-)

• TomNickle says:

I would have taken Couturier #2 or #3 overall last year and Larsson would have been the only other contender at #2 for me.

This is why I like Galchenyuk for the Habs. First overall pick of the OHL draft, amazing rookie season and bounced back well from two injuries this year. If his health is good, he would be my pick provided he’s there.

• commandant says:

I agree with Tom. If available, Galchenyuk is my guy.

Our site has him at 4, but thats a vote of all the hockey writers….

I’ve personally got him #2 behind only Yakupov.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

His puck handling in tight spaces is the clincher for me.

• 24 Cups says:

I’m starting to lean toward Galchenyuk, too. The injury has to be a big concern but I’m not Mark Recchi so I’ll leave that issue to others. It’s really too bad that Sarnia didn’t at least play one more series.

I guess it really comes down to Columbus and what they will do with their pick. I also wonder what Edmonton would want to flip picks with the Habs.

• commandant says:

His stickhandling is insane, its like the Kovalev video at times.

His hands are among the best i’ve ever seen for a kid his age.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• commandant says:

On Columbus, I’m hoping the reports that they really like Forsberg are true. He’ll be good, but I don’t want him in the top 3. Doesn’t seem as high end as the other forwards.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

Dave Reid said they’ll be taking him(Forsberg) and I know that he’s close to Scott Howson and also not the type to put up a smokescreen for somebody.

A lot can change in between now and the end of June so we’ll see but I take him at his word.

• boing007 says:

Galchenyuk shoots first, asks questions later.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• commandant says:

Ottawa definitely has some nice pieces and young too.

But I think in Price, Subban, Patches, Eller, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Leblanc, Ellis, Bournival, we have good young pieces as well. Add to that a very high draft pick this year, and 7 picks in the first 2 rounds this year and next.

Whose future is brighter? Its really hard to say at this point, but it looks that if we want to win our division in future years they will be a team we will become familiar with.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

32. shiram says:

Chara, Weber, Karlsson for the Norris.

33. Bripro says:

Here’s a heads-up to anyone receiving emails from Ian. He’s not initiating them. His system has been spammed. Be careful what you open.

34. habs001 says:

So far from the playoffs the question has to be asked do teams need a 7 million goalie?…the talent level between a huge number of goalies seems miniscule and young goalies seem to emerge regularly..so tying up 60 million or more in a goalie long term may not be the best option…

• shiram says:

Ask the Blackhawks…
      Or how it’s working out for the Preds/Rangers, only Rinne, starting next season has a cap hit of 7 millions. Lundqvist is closest at $6,875,000.
      I guess that could change in the off season.

• boing007 says:

Got the message Pricebots?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Cal says:

I am not a fan of contracts of more than 5 seasons. It overpays players without either a team or individual performance clause. In other words, The Yashin/Gomez Effect. When a player doesn’t live up to the hype, the team should be able to cancel the contract or buy out the contract for $1 mil and wipe out or negate the cap hit. Guaranteed contracts in the NHL are killing the small market clubs.
      Does anyone here actually believe Rick Nash is a “superstar” just because he gets paid like one?

• Un Canadien errant says:

A performance clause is just an out, which makes the contract not a contract any longer. If the team has reservations about the five year term, they shouldn’t offer it.

If a player reaches the NHL, the pinnacle of his profession, and subjects himself to the abuse and risk of injury, he deserves to be rewarded.

I hate how the NFL has one-way contracts, in that the players are bound by them but not the owners. Chad Clifton and Marcus McNeill grow their bodies to gigantic size to compete in as Offensive Tackles, get a spinal injury, and then get cut and their contracts are voided. These guys can’t work because of injuries they suffered at work, so let’s cut them loose and stop paying them. Ridiculous. Unacceptable.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

35. habs001 says:

The habs have to add at least 2 d who are big ,tough and have some skating ability…hard to imagine this years d playing in the playoff…from kaberle,weber,diaz and campoli at most you can have one of them on your team… hopefully with experience emelin will improve next year and be better prepared for a long season…markov will be a big key….

• New says:

Well if you can get a couple D-men that can play 25+ minutes and be like +30 at the end of the year…you’d be pretty tough to beat in the regular season.

36. ZepFan2 says:

Just read some of those racist tweets by racist bruin twits.

Imagine if PK had scored last year to eliminate the ruins.

PK + bruins hatred of Habs = end of days.

———————————————————————-