Therapy day for Habs’ Markov, Emelin and Subban; Pacioretty named NHL’s third star

After enjoying a day off Sunday, the Canadiens were back on the ice Monday morning in Brossard for a practice as they prepare for the final week of the regular season.

Three of the top six defencemen were missing, however, as Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin and P.K. Subban all took therapy days. Defenceman Josh Gorges, who has been sidelined since early March with a broken hand, did take part in the practice and was wearing a regular sweater, as was forward Dale Weise, who has been out since March 24 with an upper-body injury.

Gorges, who says he has full strength in his hand, and Weise have both been cleared for contact and are hoping to return to the lineup Wednesday night in Chicago when the Canadiens face the Blackhawks.

“The guys played unbelievable hockey these couple of weeks,” Gorges told reporters after practice. “Watching the games, you see the commitment to detail and the perseverance. We know about our talent level, but to see our team compete the way it does, give up leads but then come back and stay resilient. It’s great.”

Said Weise: “We’ll see how the injury responds tomorrow and determine what the plan is. I’ve been skating for the past week and a half so my conditioning level is good. All I need now is to get some game action under my belt and to work the kinks out before the playoffs.”

The NHL announced on Monday that the Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty has been named the league’s third star of the week after scoring four goals and adding two assists in three games last week. The Edmonton Oilers’ Taylor Hall was named the first star after picking up nine points in four games, while Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov was the second star after posting a 3-0-1 record with a 1.42 goals-against average, a .950 save percentage and one shutout.

The Canadiens have three games remaining in the regular season. After visiting the Blackhawks Wednesday night, they play home games against the New York Islanders on Thursday and the New York Rangers on Saturday.

The Canadiens are four points ahead of the Tampa Bay Lightning in the battle for second place in the Atlantic Division and home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Any combination of Montreal wins and Tampa losses adding up to two during the final week of the season will give the Canadiens home-ice advantage when the playoff start next week.

The Lightning has four games remaining. Tampa plays host to Toronto Tuesday, then has home games against Philadelphia and Columbus before wrapping up the season Sunday in Washington.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Monday’s practice:

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Bourque-Eller- Gionta
Bournival-Briere-White
Weise-Parros

Bouillon-Weaver
Murray-Beaulieu
Tinordi-Gorges

(Photo by Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photography/Getty Images)

Gorges, Weise looking to return to lineup, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs ready for stretch run, Canadiens.com

Habs GM has momentous decision to make on Subban, by Jack Todd

Subban relishes Stanley Cup challenge (video), CBC.ca

Pacioretty closing in on 40-goal season, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Pacioretty named NHL’s third star, NHL.com

No need to cheer for Habs outside Montreal, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

If the Stanley Cup playoffs started today, NHL.com

Playoff scene bleak for Canadian teams, CBC.ca

Patrick Roy deserves Jack Adams Award, NHL.com

So four games for the piece of fecal matter from Philly, Rinaldo today.

In other words he rests prior to the Playoffs. doesn’t miss one playoff game. What an incredible message the league has sent……

Shanahan and Colon Campbell are useless.

2. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I would neither want nor expect the Rest of Canada to support the Habs in the playoffs. That would be a Torontonian thing to expect or hope for. None of my second fave teams are Canadian, don’t expect someone in Moose Jaw or Brampton to cheer for us. Bruce Arthur is stating the obvious, me thinks.

3. Slackman says:

Just a quick word regarding PK. A lot of people on here seem outright offended that Michel Therrien would ever fathom benching a player of his calibre. They wring their hands in blind rage, claiming that such buffoonery on Therrien’s part is going to (absolutely, 100%, positively) drive Subban out of here to go play for Boston (To re-unite with Malcolm) or Toronto (Cuz he’s from there duhhhhh). That’s right. PK’s gonna say “Screw you guys, I’m outta here”, and sign with a rival at a discount because Michel Therrien.

These accusers however fail to properly employ logic and reasoning to understand that coaches do this to players. Emelin has been benched, Bouillon has been benched, DD has been benched. Coaches coaching for teams with enough depth can bench a player who isn’t performing at the peak of his capabilities.

I’m genuinely scared to see the reactions on here if PK were to ever be a healthy scratch (he’s been in this position already, I forget if it was last season or the one before). But imagine PK being scratched. Imagine the turmoil and the rage and the teeth gnashing and fist swinging and keyboard smashing and punch dancing….. I mean Emelin’s been a healthy scratch recently. He came back and played like we expect him to. He played like a (dare I say?) top 2 defenseman. I won’t compare Subban to guys like Bourque and White and Beaulieu who are typically scratches based on depth.

Now I’m not saying we should scratch Subban. Don’t get me wrong he is our best defenseman, but I’m sick and tired of the morons who claim Therrien is purposefully (or out of stupidity cuz Michel Therrien is dumb and a whole lotta posters on here would do a better job) sabotaging Subban or playing alleged ‘Ead Games with him.

I don’t think Therrien is as terrible as a lot of people on here and I’m ready to defend him (within reason of course, he isn’t the Greatest Coach Ever). The man has coached the Habs into the play-offs for the second year in a row. I simple-minded stableboy (as I’ve seen him called on here a few times) wouldn’t be able to do that. Negative people just want to be negative, so when the habs don’t win the Cup, which is likely and they know it, they can stand back with their smug little faces sayin’ “see, told ya”

/end rant. Not proofreading, gotta go vote! Sorry for the disjointed thoughts/tl;dr mumbo-jumbo.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if the Quebec Liberal Party wins tonight, the Habs WILL win the Stanley Cup

…book it ! :)

5. DipsyDoodler says:

Whoa!

I just realized something.

Melnyk and Marinaro are two different people.

I don’t listen to sports radio. Whenever you people talked about a sports radio blowhard whose name starts with M I never tweaked to the fact that there were two different ones.

So how are they different?

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Blowhards they be. I listen to Marinaro very seldom because he seems more clueless and obnoxious. That could be unfair, but that was my early instinct on him.

• Habcouver says:

Interesting… when I visited Montreal and had dinner at a local Sports bar, the locals there thought highly of Tony Marinaro’s show.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

6. frontenac1 says:

Hey Captain Pike! Picard is a Habs Fan?

• scamorza says:

Cool so as captain his immortal words to the habs winning the cup this year….make it so

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

7. DipsyDoodler says:

One thing that hasn’t been commented on.

In the RDS interview Bergevin was asked if he was impressed with Therrien’s work.

He said “you can always get better.”

8. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Bruce Arthur: bitter much?

9. johnnylarue says:

Hey–who wants to talk P.K. Subban?

I remember when he first made the Habs and his defensive acumen was being discussed, the standard cliches were evoked: you can teach defence, PK just needs to learn how to ‘choose his spots’ when it comes to his forays into the o-zone, it will come with maturity, etc.

Gaston Therrien’s take was a bit more interesting. He used the word “arrogant” in a positive manner in describing P.K., and with others calling for the kid to basically be broken like a wild horse, Therrien countered that it was crucial in developing him to not snuff out that youthful arrogance, which he perceived as an essential part of P.K.’s game. “You have to let P.K. be P.K.”

Fast-forward a couple of years. Following repeated, embarrassing punitive benchings from his head coach, along with some very resonant words of criticism from the man who saw fit to play him only 10 minutes at the Winter Olympics, what we have on our hands is exactly that: a P.K. Subban who is second-guessing himself so much that his effectiveness has been compromised at both ends of the ice.

There’s no doubt in my mind he’ll bounce back. He’s young. All players slump. It’s part of the process. But when I think back to the rookie P.K. who was all over Sidney Crosby like a bad polyester leisure suit in the 2011 playoffs, with fewer than 20 NHL games under his belt, I can’t help but feel like all of this “improving” that’s been forced upon him may have diminished a part of that flame which was so integral to his game…

Whatever the case, I fail to see how making a star player fear a period-long benching following the slightest mistake can be a good motivator for a guy like P.K. Insecurity is like kryptonite for a guy who derives so much of his mojo from ego and instinct.

• twilighthours says:

No doubt. That 2nd period in Ottawa was the first time I can remember seeing PK play scared. It looked like he didn’t want the puck at all.

• ABHabsfan says:

This post right here, is spot-on. Nailed

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• DipsyDoodler says:

Good points. Dipsy’s convinced.

• habcertain says:

sounds like a choice is required.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

johnnylarue……there is one overwhelming fact that many are ignoring when it comes to PK. He is not a kid anymore….isn’t it about time to judge him on his play…which by anyones standards recently ( much of this year actually ) has been poor and bordering on really poor. It’s fine to suggest the coach is the reason he is second guessing himself but if he is elite as many suggest isn’t it about time he took the bull by the horns and stepped up. Now either he is mature and super composed as many say or he is not..which is it. I watch him every game and he looks very very defensively weak most often. It’s about time you and others on here watched a game or two. Surely you aren’t blind.

You know I generally like your posts but I am so sick of hearing about how PK is the second coming. He just isn’t all the great…maybe some day but not now. I am sure with some reflection you can get past blaming MT for all of PK’s issues. Imagine for a minute..it is speculated by many Habs fans that MT is benching PK for little of nothing…I mean two games ago he was on for two goals in 37 seconds…….what s the coach to do disregard it…he has sat a few players this year for less that that……a player of PK’s age should have to earn ice time. Do you think MT wants to coach again next year….winning is crucial to the coach in today’s NHL for job security…..do you think as many do that MT is going to risk his job to put it to PK…of course he isn’t. It’s crazy how the Habs fans are looking at PK with rose colored glasses…he can do no wrong it seems even when he does….

• peiKC says:

You know guys, PK has the potential to be a world class defenseman. I think everybody agrees on that.

the question is, does he become that world class defenseman under MT or does he decide to ask for a trade or a two year deal? Nobody can tell whether that can happen under MT, I don’t think it will.

So………..do we try to sign him for one year, see what happens, wait for the offer sheets………work on Vanek and Markov and surround them with quality players.

Any way you cut it, we can’t have it all. choose your drink, so to speak and work around it.

PEIKC

• peiKC says:

since nobody cares to comment, I’d hate to be in the Leaf’s situation where 20.5 million is tied up with three players, Clarkson……5.5 mil….Phaneuf…………7 mill………..Kessell…………..8 mill. There is little left to surround “elite” players with players that can bring it. those three can’t. management has to decide to place the resources on one or two stars or surround our core…..Max……Plecs……Markov………especially Price with good players.

PEIKC

• twilighthours says:

I don’t think the guy above you agrees that he’s a world class D

How many players are included in world class?

• peiKC says:

I take it that newbie’s opinions aren’t appreciated here? Carey Price is a world class athlete………Goaltender

PEIKC

No not a slam, I am honestly curious. I hear terms like top 5 or world class or elite and I often wonder what this entails.

I think Price is World Class, I think he is one of the best 5 goalies in the world. I don’t think PK is one of the top 5 dmen in the world.

• Habfan10912 says:

@burly And that is why you are out of the will!

• peiKC says:

He could be a world class D, I said he has the potential to be a world class d……….keep up

PEIKC

• peiKC says:

I agree, I said he could be with the right coaching. He could also be a flash in the pan………..my point is……….is he worth the supposed 8 million he seems to want. My answer is no way.

PEIKC

• peiKC says:

I’m not even sure he’s a good fit in Montreal because of his love for the camera, but that’s for the fans to decide. I love the guy but I think of the team first.

PEIKC

10. kempie says:

You guys see this yet?

Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro 21m
    I am hearing that Carey Price, Andrei Markov & Alexei Emelin are not on the trip to Chicago. Staying in Montreal to rest….

11. CJ says:

A great point (or so I believe) was raised within the thread; What impact would Subban’s playoff performance have on his contract negotiations? If he had a great playoff, does that raise his value? What if he continues to struggle?

Do we take the same approach with Lars Eller? Do we disregard his struggles over 40+ games? Going into the season I had initially thought that Eller would likely command upwards of $4 – $5 million annually. After all, he is young, has tons of potential and is only going to get better.

At the end of the day, decisions will be made this offseason. No matter what happens, somebody (myself included) will likely find a degree of fault in the proceedings. The team has acheived far more than I thought possible. The only question that remains is, are we built for the regular season or are we prepared to take that next step when it counts the most – the playoffs?

Lastly, and I know that there were a number of missing players at practice today, did anybody else get a strange feeling when you saw that Frankie and Weaver remain paired together? I mean, I know that Weaver is not coming out. Do we start the playoffs with Frankie as part of our 5/6 unit? I got a sinking suspicion that I know the answer.

• JUST ME says:

So mister C.J. correct me if i am wrong but tonight might just be the night for the Sens so be officially out of the playoffs ? I suppose you have a special cold one for this celebration ?

As for the pairings at practice is suspect that a few key guys on the D-squad will have a day off here and there. Do not even know if they will wait to officially get home ice advantage.

Looking back at what the Habs have achieved this season i think Bergevin had us fooled but most likely was way ahead of us. He raised the expectations higher than we had with great acquisitions and did not even trade away any significant player as we all thought he would . I like the feeling of him being unpredicatable being from the western division school and seeing things differently than we are soooo used to.

• CJ says:

Mathematically you are spot on. Realistically, their chances suffered a major blow on the west coast trip when they lost, back to back, to the Flames and Oilers. Any hope and momentum that they regained was squashed when we came back and beat them on March 15. The loss to the Bridgeport Sound Isles this past week, followed by the beating we put on them Friday was the equivalent of the last scene in the movie casino. Sure, they aren’t dead yet, but you get the point….

Finally, yes, I will hoist a cold one tonight to celebrate. Maybe two :)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I believe P.K. will be on fire in the playoffs

…if not, if You think We are preoccupied with P.K.’s future with Our Habs today, You ain’t seen nuttin yet :)

• CJ says:

I think a partnership with Gorges gets him back on track. He needs a solid period of hockey, than to build on that momentum.

Like you said, if not, look out!

So who is winning the Quebec election?

• PlateauDweller says:

Seems like a done deal: http://www.threehundredeight.com/

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Canada

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Have to disagree. There is no positive outcome in that election. Everyone loses. Idiots or scoundrels. And no one really knows what the CAQ is. QS are insane.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…let’s see how it turns out first …We may be getting ahead of Ourselves

…Couillard seems an unapologetic federalist

…if He wins, that will be a turning point in Quebec politics

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I have an ethical dilemma with anyone who chooses to work for royalty in an oppressive slave state like Saudi Arabia to pad their own account. If he worked there independently or for a private entity, I may give him some leeway, but it is my understanding that he was employed by a government minister.

The US government and big oil’s courtship with Saudi royals is one of the most despicable things on our record, and I maintain that opinion when it comes to other parties’ relations with that entity. Aside from human rights concerns, it is emblematic of a economic globalist, neoliberal mindset, which I vehemently oppose.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Why do you say “pad their account”? He worked and was paid for his work.

Also my understanding is he advised Saudis on their health care system.

• JUST ME says:

Honestly HIS whoever wins we are not out of the woods. The PQ is disconnected from the quebecers and the liberals are corrupt mafia friends ..I just do not feel good about this …Possible return to the streets cause the young voters are not happy and since they are not considered as important by what is called here the old parties they want to make them listen…Not very promissing and/or peacefull tomorrows …

• laGrandeTerreur says:

So you believe Couillard went to Saudi Arabia on a humanitarian mission? I have a bridge to Brossard to sell you, lol.

I’m just teasing, but really that’s my opinion on Saud. I do not believe outsiders, governments or individuals, should have friendly relationships with Saudi government, at all. That doesn’t mean they can’t be talked to, like ridiculous restrictions on Cuba, but they should not be cooperated with as real partners or allies.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…agree with You Nick on Saudi Arabia

…I did business in Riyadh, and the country makes My skin crawl …My brother-in-law and sister lived in Riyadh working for a Bell contract

…He, like most ex-pats in Saud place their income in off-shore banks before returning to Canada, and then when they return they declare/repatriate the money in Canada

…but this is a very complex contradictory World, and real-politik often have Us dancing with the Devil

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Mario, agree the PQ will remain a bete noir in Quebec, but if an unashamedly federalist Couillard does win a majority, that will be significant

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I’d rather have Iran as an ally than Saudi Arabia. A dictatorship, yes, but it allows a much more open society. Saudi are in the North Korea realm.

As far as the sovereignty movement, what’s of note is that while support is still at 40%, the PQ can’t get close to that number. Which tells me some of those 40% are still hding in the CAQ, and many are the Marxist kids you see running in the streets with QS. Who knows where it will end up.

13. Ghab says:

Just a quick comment about Bruce Arthur’s article about not bothering cheering if your outside if Montreal. I was born and raised in the maritimes and growing up there it was either Boston, Toronto, or the Habs you cheer for. 1984 I fell in love with the greatest team in NHL history. I was 10.

14. VintageFan says:

Been thinking about PK Subban: The management and coaching staff have made it abundantly clear that this is not the type of player that they want or like. They show no indication that they intend to use the talents that he possesses. Therefore it would seem reasonable that they should trade him for a player they like. There must be an older, smaller, softer stay at home defenceman available somewhere.
    Just sayin’

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

…has Christian Folin been signed by an NHL team yet ?

16. laGrandeTerreur says:

Listened to Melnick on the way home from work via the internet, of course, not surprisingly, he was going on and on about the election, as he loves to pontificate. Also I have seen some mention of it here.

One thing he said was that this election comes down to “how Quebec wants to be seen by the rest of the world,” the presumption being that the rest of the world, the good people out there, would view the PQ and it’s charter as creating some xenophobic fascist state, and the Libs representing a loving open society. I read this a lot, too.

I have to ask, do you guys up there really think the rest of the world gives a crap? There are rules like this in other countries, and there have been in Islamic countries as well. There are language laws in other countries, too, and even more restrictive. I’m not saying one should or should not support these ideas, but really it is not a new thing and would go pretty much unnoticed outside of Canada. Nothing more than a blip on the screen like the Pastagate story. It doesn’t affect the world. Lotsa people seem to think this stuff is so embarrassing, but that’s really just self-projecting.

My two cents is that all the options up there pretty much suck. Either way, good luck to you all.

Salut, laGrande.
      I confirm — as an expat in Europe — that you are pretty much on the money. Never mind Quebec, but the whole of Canada rarely penetrates the news media here. The recent major exception was Rob Ford. You would never EVER see anything about Canadian or Quebec politics or separation or the Charter (the Quebec girl who was stopped from playing soccer because of her hijab may have got through here. Anyway, anyone who tries to assert that this election is about how Quebec looks to the rest of the world is either lying or an eejit.

All that said, Canada DOES enjoy a reputation as the country that best survived the recession. That looks very cool indeed if you’re Irish.

• Timo says:

You mean they don’t go nuts over PK treatment in Ireland?

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Yes, the recession-proof economy up there is impressive lol. Your banks have been very well regarded. Tim Hortons is also getting quite a warm response.

Me, I have a personal interest in Canada, specifically Quebec politics, so I follow all this junk. No one else ever even knows what I am talking about if I bring it up. Indeed, Ford is the only exception.

This is not just a case of the ignorant American society, though. In Europe specifically, there already are democracies with more restrictive regulations on religious garb and language, depending where you are. In Germany they don’t care about the religious clothing rules in France, why the hell would they care about weaker rules across the ocean?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think if there were an honest referendum across Canada, the so-called ‘secular charter’would have great support

…if the PQ loses, it won’t be because primarily ‘the charter’, it will be because the majority are not interested in a separation referendum, and more concerned the PQ’s policies are affecting the economy

…the younger generation especially

…with a few tweaks ‘the secular charter’ is in Quebec’s/Canada’s best interests …it’s not the message, it’s ‘the messenger’ that is the problem

• AceMagnum says:

Why are you listening to Eugene Melnyck?

Mitch Melnick is better

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

• DipsyDoodler says:

I know quite a few Europeans who have moved to Montreal and to a person they mention the very palpable feeling of tolerance and openness here.

When people know what this particular charter entails they tend to oppose it, and it has very little support in its current form in the city of Montreal. The PQ was headed towards majority. They beat the drum about their charter during the election and are in danger of falling to 3rd place in popular vote.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I know Montreal is against the Charter. Quebec is not, neither are francophones. They are not losing because of the Charter. Frankly, they started losing when talk of the Charter ended and PKP came out on the charge.

As for Europeans disliking the charter, maybe some would be, but as I referenced in a previous comment, rules in some European countries are much more restrictive, so that still doesn’t make the Charter a newsworthy issue anywhere but multicultural Canada.

Look at laws recently passed in Switzerland, or the new government in Australia and their immigration policy… the democratic world is not disgusted with it, by and large.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I disagree.

I think many people support a type of charter, one that would prevent religion from guiding public life. When they find out what’s in Marois’ charter, they balk.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

To the contrary, polls indicated people were for a nameless ban on religious clothing by public workers. When simultaneously labeled the “values charter”, support was lower.

Much like how Americans are against Obamacare, but they support the Affordable Care Act.

As for the Canadians, are you outraged that French kids can’t wear crucifixes, kippas, or hijabs in school? Or when it was the law of the land in Turkey? No, it was never even discussed before Marois brought this up, because it’s not really a big deal to the global community. And those laws invaded the lives of the public, not just government workers.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I was outraged by the French law when it was first passed.

And I am as anti-clerical as they come.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…PQ are losing because of the threat of another separation referendum Dipsy, not ‘the charter’

…if they had not recruited Peladeau, and focused on ‘secular/identity values’, they would be certain of a majority government tonight

• DipsyDoodler says:

Disagree entirely.

Polls also show this to be incorrect.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…polls among the 90 % francophone majority ? …or, the Montreal Anglo/Allo/new Canadian demographic ?

…completely different

• JUST ME says:

laGrandeTerreur i ticked on the same Melnick comment as you did. When an election is held elsewhere,anywhere do they worry how the others will view them ? I just do not see why Quebec is concerned about it`simage …

But Melnick is a die hard anglo ,a good guy but when it comes to politics there is no middle of the road hence my dislike to discuss politics on a place like here because it serves no purpose and takes us away from something that generally brings us together : the Habs !

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I agree with you there for the most part, which is why I will refrain from debating the specific issues. Unfortunately, I feel it’s almost impossible to talk Habs without politics and culture being injected into it. If it’s not the PQ and 101, it’s franco favoritism, coach’s racism, or some craziness. Specifically in relation to this natter, it was just the idea that the sports media is paranoid that the Charter will tarnish their image that I found kind of ridiculous. As you allude to, nobody should be voting based on what they imagine outsiders would like them to do.

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…wondering Bruce Arthur’s motive for his column about Canadians not having any obligation to cheer on the only Canadian NHL Team in the playoffs, which of course they do not

…to Me, he never read to be ‘a homer’ or an overly biased Weeds’ fan previously

…but he seems to have some bile in his system for both Quebec and Our Habs

…I believe Montreal’s Fan-base stretches sufficiently from Newfoundland to BC to make his apparently bitter column inconsequential, but still curious why he wrote something like that from so far outfield ?

• laGrandeTerreur says:

As I referenced the other, for lots of southern Ontarians, anything to do with Quebec elicits hostility. I can’t speak with any authority on the statistical rate of anti-Quebec bias, but most Ontarians I have discussed the issue with do not view Quebecois in a positive light, regardless of whether the PQ is part of the discussion or not. Just my own experience from south of the border…

18. Rad says:

Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz, and Luke Gazdic for Subban and Lars Eller? No can do. Not even close. For me to trade Subban to ANYBODY, the discussion would start with that team’s best player. In the case of Edmonton, Taylor Hall would have to be the first player coming our way for me to return the phone call. And it would take a lot more than Hall. No GM would trade away a 24-year old Norris trophy winner unless the return was just astronomical.

19. SaugaHab says:

Hey Guys,

Long time reader for the last 4-5 years. thought I would finally join. Anyhow early 30’s hab fan living in Mississauga. Wanted to say hello to you all.

20. UKRAINIANhab says:

I like DD but, Im pretty sure Parros could play with Pacioretty and Vanek… Seriously, Vanek and Patches are sick. I am not too sure it has much to do with DD.

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…first Shirley, now Mick …hope I’m not next :(

…RIP Mickey Rooney …I mean ‘Andy’

Steve Yzerman gets a four year extension. Can Hab coach. Michel Therrien be far behind?

BTW, Joffrey Lupul of the laffs is out for the season and will undergo surgery. How do you make one of those yellow, funny smiley things!

23. Habsman93 says:

Two Tickets For Sale For Series 1 Game 1 They Are in Section 105 Row D Seat 9 & 10 Red “B” Contact me @ habsman55@cogeco.ca for further info
    GO HABS GO

24. shiram says:

Sabers to dress their 8th goalie of the season.
    Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL

#Sabres goalie Nathan Lieuwen has a concussion. So, yes, they have to find another goalie.

25. Luke says:

Any all-day meeting that ends with cookies and a trip to Chile is an OK meeting in my books.
    Now, I’m off to the pub.

Hope you all had a great day on here and I’ll catch you on the flip side.

26. Hobie Hansen says:

If the Habs win the cup this year I don’t care if Vanek, Subban, Markov, Gionta all play for different teams next year. I’ll be on cloud nine for about 10 years before starting to care if we win or lose again.

People will tell me that their Leafs or their Oilers beat my Habs last night. I’ll simply say that I don’t give a s*&t because we are the 2013/14 Stanley Cup Champions.

27. Lafleurguy says:

@MRonn, try to look past the verbal abuse. Like a fart, the smell will go away. Cheers, bud.

28. jimmy shaker says:

Big differences from last year’s team going into the dance vs this year’s team:

Price, playing great this year going in.
    Vanek, huge addition to the team, better than davis drewiske.
    Penalty killing sucked last year, this year, their best consistent part.
    Way better depth going in than last year.

add to it, if you like……

OH and it’s way better to have a light’s out penalty kill going into the dance than a good PP. THe PP will click once in a while , but the penalty kill has to be stellar just like it’s been, and gorges and murray coming back will help it that much more.

Shaker out!

29. JF says:

This is the best Habs team in more than twenty years. The only other one that even comes close is the 2008 team that won the Conference. But that team lived and ultimately died by its powerplay, ranked first overall that year. The 2008 Habs beat the Bruins in the first round, but only with great difficulty despite having won eight straight games against them during the regular season. The team then ran into a bigger, more physical Flyers team who managed to shut down their powerplay and close the centre of the ice. That was all it took to render the Habs impotent.

This year’s team is better than that one, since it’s gotten as far as it has without relying on the powerplay. We have rock-solid goaltending, an electrifying first line, and a lot of depth both on defence and up front; plus we seem to be starting to get some secondary scoring. We also have something more intangible – something that could be called a will to win and includes self-confidence, an appetite for the battle, and a never-say-die attitude. I think this team has the potential to go all the way to the Final.

Having said that, I can also see us crashing out in the first round in a way very like what happened last year.

Playoff hockey is tight, close-checking, defensive hockey. Teams concentrate on taking away time and space, on closing down the neutral zone, on keeping their opponent to the outside. Few teams do this better than the Lightning – and we’ve seen the results in every game we’ve played against them this year. If we can’t score more than a goal a game, we haven’t a hope.

Forget about fancy passing plays and pretty goals. The players will have to be prepared to park themselves in front of the net and absorb the hits, the crosschecks, and the slashes, while finding a way to shove the puck into the net. This is how Brendan Gallagher scored our lone goal in the last game against the Lightning. Last playoffs he and sometimes René Bourque were the only Habs who consistently got in on Anderson. More Habs will have to be willing to do that this year or our playoffs will be short and ignominious.

We may not win the series, but we have to at least play the right way to even give ourselves a chance. Perimeter play has been a pitfall of this team whenever they face an opponent who plays a physical, tight-checking game, whether it be in the regular season or the playoffs. We have to get away from that.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The team was really banged up last year during the playoffs (Max-Gionta-Prust-Eller-no Emelin) and Raphael Diaz was # 3 for total minutes by a Dman and the #1 Dman on the PK.
      Where is Daiz today?
      Up front, there was little NHL depth with Colby Armstrong-Dumont-Blunden…

• krob1000 says:

Diaz is in the playoffs…is plus 5 over his 8 games with the Rags and has 1 goala nd 1 assist. Van stopped playing him because they wanted to trade him and did not want to risk injury…he is a serviceable dman.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Serviceable yes…playing 3rd pairing 14-15 minutes and PP duty and he has no PK time for the Rangers.
          Does he get that time when Ryan McDonagh comes back from injury?

• JF says:

I know this team is a lot better as well as a lot healthier than last year’s team. But we could nonetheless suffer a similar fate unless the players are willing to go to the dirty areas of the ice and absorb the punishment that entails. If we allow the Lightning to keep us to the outside, as has been pretty much the case in every regular-season game we’ve played against them, we won’t win. We have to find a way to counter their aggressive forecheck, to get through the neutral zone, and to establish a presence in front of their net.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I think the Habs will be fine IF they can start the series with all the key guys healthy.
          Vanek brings a big new dynamic. He has no problems going to the net and it seems to be rubbing off on Max as well.

As you well know, it will come down to goaltending and 5X5 play.

• JF says:

Agree about Vanek and the change in Pacioretty’s game. But that line was pretty invisible in Tuesday’s game against the Lightning.

30. nellis13 says:

PK needs more than a day off. I would rest him until the playoffs. He’s looking exhausted or injured. F%&* politics and focus on doing what needs to be done to go the distance.

31. Maritime Ronn says:

The poll question on the right side:
    “If you were Habs GM Marc Bergevin, would you consider trading P.K. Subban instead of re-signing him.”

Only 25% would “Consider?”

What about if Nashville GM Poile comes knocking on the door and tells GMMB that the Preds ownership can’t afford to pay 28 year old Shea Weber $13M for the next 2 years and wants to do a Weber for Subban deal straight up.
    GMMB HAS to “consider” that and he would probably do that deal in a heart beat…because it makes the Habs a better team for at least the next 5-7 years.
    Yes, he has a very long deal, but a new CBA will be in place before that.

Or what about if MacTavish picks up the phone and offers Eberle-Justin Schultz and Luke Gadzic for Subban and Eller…and just because you may not know Justin Schultz, he would not be anywhere close to a big downgrade if you think about minutes replaced on the Penalty kill (non existent) – PP – even strength.

• krob1000 says:

I would hang up the phone MactT for that deal. Mr POile…would definitely talk to him.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Exactly…consider

Why would you hang up?
        A 23 year old 30 goal scorer with character.
        A 23 year old Dman who has 32 points and has scored 1 more goal than Subban this year.
        A 24 year old mean SOB and top heavyweight that will never let his team mates get gooned again.
        His 2 goals this year is equal to the production of either White-Moen, or Weisse

• krob1000 says:

JOrdan Eberle is another smaller bodied yet highly skilled right hand shot. Somethign the Habs have many of. Justing Schultz to me is like Mike Green andwhile the offesne is great I don’t think MOntreal needs another offensive dman. Beaulieu is coming, NYgren or Pateryn, and both IMO are better defensviely than Schultz. Nygren in system as well and Markov will likely be signed. I guess I considered it….lol. IF they were offering HAll and Ekblad aftet this draft? Hmm….consider I would.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Justin Schultz wouldn’t be a big downgrade from Subban????? You’re on drugs or your just the dumbest human to ever post on HIO…saying a lot.

Eberle-Schultz and Gazdic (LOL because he matters or has value) for Subban AND Eller?

Go home you’re drunk.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Maritime Ronn says:

Instead of answering with complete stupidity and rudeness, why don’t you tell us all what Subban does so much better.
        Start with the penalty killing roll, and then future upside

• Steeltown Hab says:

Schultz is 1 year younger than Subban. Look at him this year vs Subban last, tell me who’s upside is significantly higher.

Subban is in another dimension defensively. Subban isn’t just a #1 type defensemen, he’s a top 5 dman in the league for the next 6-7 years. Give him a coach who develops him instead of harnesses all that’s made him great and the potential is there to collect a few more Norris’

Watch him called up as a 20 yr old bullying Crosby in a 7 game series. What else is there to prove for this guy?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Kooch7800 says:

In all fairness PK is not top 5 in the league on D currently. I would say he is in the top ten

Top 5 in no order

Duncan Keith
            Drew Doughty
            Shea Webber
            Alex Pietrangelo
            Erik Karlsson

other considerations
            Keith Yandle
            Chara
            Ryan Suter
            Victor Hedman

• Maritime Ronn says:

You could probably add Mcdonagh-Giordano-Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and there are so many young rookies coming such as Trouba-Maata-Gelinas-Lindholm-Seth Jones-Morgan Rielly-Murray-Murphy…

• Mattyleg says:

You know, Steel, you could have explained your opinion rather than firing off insults first time ’round…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• GrosBill says:

Tell us what you really think. sheesh.

Though at least your post isn’t complaining about DD this time…

• habcertain says:

why would Poile consider that if he has to pay PK similar money, for a longer term, no less?

• New says:

Can we fit Nurse in there somehow and get it done before the draft?

• Ozmodiar says:

That Edmonton deal is gawd-awful, sorry.

Doubt Nash would do the other one. So much invested in Weber already (bonus money).

32. UKRAINIANhab says:

Come on you Spurrrrrssss!!!!!

Tottenham needs this one. (I know there are some soccer fans here so ya)

33. DipsyDoodler says:

Speaking of stats, here is the bad news for the Habs. I think we’ve all seen what the stats tell us, that this team frequently gets outplayed, outshot, out-possesed, but somehow finds a way to win. The second period against Detroit was a good example: shots were 15-4 for the Wings but we outscored them 2-0 in the period.

Here are the results for the Habs:

A good measure of possession if the Corsi% when the score is close.

We rank 25th in the league. Below us, the Flames, Oilers, Leafs and Sabres, in case you think these numbers mean nothing (also the Avalanche, FYI). You will also notice that the 5 teams everyone agrees are the favourites to win the cup (LA, Chicago, St.Louis, Boston, San Jose) occupy the top 7 spots.

The explanation for our success in spite of poor possession could be that our shooting percentage and our goalie’s prowess are saving us. And this is indeed the case as shown here (last column, or PDO, which measures both those things):

In my opinion this bodes poorly for the playoffs. (Again these stats only confirm what our eyes have been telling us all along.)

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Dipsy. Always cool to look at numbers. Heart is something that’s difficult to measure. Along with a good shooting percentage and great goaltending as you rightfully point out is a team that seems to have that “will” to win. Been so enjoyable to watch the last month.

• krob1000 says:

Don’t forget the fact the team is not built for possession in todays NHL with the size of Montreal’s forwards. The team is not built for long sustained cycles and defensively plays a strong game between the dots and occupies a house style defense that relies heavily on shot blocking and positional play to compliment strong goaltending.

They are well aware of the teams deficiencies in one on one defending situations so they utilize a more systemic (and amittedly frustrating to watch) team defense. What often appears to be panic is actually the gameplan. The team is also up until Vanek acquisition known to be more of a one and done type team lacking net presence and high percentage rebounds. Vanek helps to alter this but it definitley lends itself to the numbers being a bit affected there as well.

The team is also 5th in the league in minor penalties..which account for a lot of shots against. The fact Montreal’s pp is not clicking as well as it should also skews the numbers ….if Montreal’s pp were working better they would be taking more shots.

• LizardKing12 says:

I agree that the Habs do not have the size to be a prototypical puck possession team. Teams like LA and Boston seem to be the ones that excel at this type of game. However, if the Habs use their speed to implement a tenacious forecheck we can be amongst the top ranking puck possession teams.

Look at the stats from last season. the Habs ranked 6th in the nhl in puck possession. Our style of play was far different last season with a much bigger emphasis on using our speed to forecheck hard, force mistakes and maintain offensive zone pressure. That system resulted in us being the 3rd highest scoring team in the NHL and a top 10 puck possession team. This season’s success is attributable to Carey Price having a career year and Budaj playing lights out as a back-up. We are one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL and are bottom 5 in puck possession. If Carey Price doesn’t play to the best of his abilities and the Vanek line doesn’t continue scoring at a pace that makes them one of the top 3 lines in the NHL the Habs will struggle to win in the playoffs.

• habcertain says:

agreed, we will go as far as Price’s play dictates.

Wonder if perhaps Toronto and Winnipeg make a big splash trade this summer. I could definitely see something like Kadri/Reimer and whatever else going to Winnipeg to E. Kane.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Kane. He has some maturity issues but I like his style of game and he has great speed.

I hope he doesn’t go to Toronto. He would make them better.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think Toronto would be making a lateral move there. If they’re smart they take a page out of Bergevin’s book and begin to look for players of character. I’m not sure Kane fits that mode, do you?

The Leafs will moving forward take on the identity of their new President, Leiweke. He has a great deal of confidence, I could see him liking Kane a great deal.

• frontenac1 says:

Predicting what Numb Nuts Nonnis will do is a mug”s game amigo.As long as he’s there Leafs are toast. Saludos!

35. DipsyDoodler says:

Here is a great article on how the Leafs collapse is actually vindication for the stats geeks, who predicted it months ago.

Nice quotes from the stats geeks kept pointing to the Leafs’ poor possession metrics, and the Leafs management and their lackeys in the media who kept ridiculing them.

Moving. Forward.

Even stupid regular folk like me could see the Leafs were getting outplayed most games though. This whole analytics thing is really getting hyped.

Whatever happened to watching a game and getting a feel for how a team was playing?

• krob1000 says:

It really all came down to Bernier…. when Bernier (guy responsible for stopping all of those extra shots) it all went down the toilet. Same thing would likely happen to Habs(pre tradeacquisitions especially) if PRice went down…as we also saw.

36. HammerHab says:

Is there any better #1 center and #1 winger dollar for dollar than DD & Patches? Hope this lines up when I hit post….

GP $ G A PTS
    Pacioretty/DD 146 8M 55 56 111
    Kessel/Bozak 134 9.6M 55 72 127
    Toews/Sharp 155 12.2M 61 83 144
    Getzlaf/Perry 152 16.875M 73 91 164
    Thornton/Pavelski 158 12.75M 50 100 150
    Crosby/Kunitz 154 12.42M 71 98 169
    Koivu/Parise 124 14.288M 39 64 103
    Backstrom/Ovechkin 152 16.23M 64 85 149
    Duchene/Landeskog 148 11.571M 49 85 134
    Krejci/Lucic 155 11.25M 41 73 114

$ amounts are mostly based on next year’s cap hits….guys like duchene & landeskog are due for hefty raises

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

Not Eric Staal and Semin at $15.5M with 100points?

• UnkleGary says:

Very cool to see. I was hard on DD at the start of the year, but boy I’m eating delicious crow now. I just find he’s so much more engaged in thegame, I think his physical and defence play has done an almost 180. It makes me really want to hang on to Vanek, he really makes our offence much deeper by pushing everyone down.
      I would sign Vanek over any and all of Markov/Gionta/Murray/Boillion/Weaver. I think he’s more of a difference than all of those combined. But I don’t know who would fill the empty spots, so it may not be possible.
      Looks like the CH might be a 100 point team. Bitching and complaining is part of the fun of being a fan, but from now till the end of the season I’m letting everything go and just gonna enjoy watching the playoffs. Go Habs Go!!

CH-eers!

37. Phil C says:

Weaver must feel like he has found his home planet with Therrien as coach. He plays exactly how Therrien seems to love.

38. CHicoHab says:

I am in awe of the way this team is playing but next time MT better be prepared to stop the bleeding before we go down a 3rd goal as in last Friday night. And be prepared to stop the bleeding before a 3rd tying goal goes in after being up 3-0.

• BJ says:

We only got partially “Ottawa’d” on that one. But agreed we have to keep doing what got us three and screw the “back on our heels” mentality. Offense is still the best defense.

39. shiram says:

For those who like numbers, NHL’s cost per point on a team basis.

40. Mattyleg says:

Here’s a question that was raised (kind of) on the radio this morning:
    What is considered a success for Therrien, and what’s a failure?

If we lose in the first round, is that a failure?
    What if it goes to 7 hard-fought games?
    What if we win the first round and get swept the 2nd?
    Or if we lose the 2nd in 7 games?

Any opinions on what you’re expecting as a success/failure?

For me, finishing 2nd (or even 3rd) is enough to justify calling this season a success.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ooder says:

that’s a good question. For some, anything short of a Stanley cup is a failure (although i am sure the guys on EOTP will complain about that as well)
      I think getting to the second round is a success. I would be pretty dissapointed in a first round exit to be honest

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the answer to all of those is how they play. there is nothing wrong with losing in 7 games as long unless it is like how Van City lost in 7 games back in the cup final…that is def a fail. If they habs are out there and are in every game and playing hard that is all you can ask. Then it is up to lady luck and skill

Losing in 7 games like the habs did in the first round to the Bruins the year they won the cup I would not say was a failure it was only a 1 goal difference.

• habsfan0 says:

Times…and expectations have changed since I was a kid watching the Habs.
      Back then,anything less than a Stanley Cup victory would be considered an absolute,unadulterated disaster.

• jimmy shaker says:

Not getting by the bolts would be a failure in my books. Price especially. He needs a very good showing and 4 W’s vs the bolts to show himself and everyone else around the league that he can perform in the dance. I think getting by the bolts may be more difficult than getting by the cubs, just because the habs haven’t been able to solve Bishop for some reason. PK will need to elevate his game for sure and limit his mistakes and Gorges will help him starting Wed vs the hawks.

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

What was the objective for Therrien/team this year? Success/failure has to be related to reaching/failing to reach the objective.

Of course, expectation from the fan base may greatly vary from the those from the organization.

As far as I am concerned, Therrien failed unless team wins the cup.

• Mavid says:

Somehow I think even if they win the cup you will still say he is a failure..your hate is deep and strong, I don’t see a cup changing that..just my 2 cents worth.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Matty, I agree with you. No matter that we have to reboot yet again, and patience runs thin, it is what it is: new GM, new coach, new vision, new players etc. So the team is in flux, and to finish 2nd/3rd may not be entirely satisfying, but it is a success.

That will be harder to say if our First Round is reminiscent of last year’s, but it will still be true.

(I’m sure Retro Mikey will readily agree with us!)

• JUST ME says:

Might as well go for it shouldn`t we ? Tired of just showing up for the playoffs and would like to aim for the big mug.

That being said i too am very satisfied of what i have seen this season and i feel like we are in the playoffs legitimately instead of being in through the back door. Let`s not forget what we tought were the Habs chances not so long ago.I was not sure that we would make the playoffs and if we did could not say if we were going to be a contender until Bergevin changed a lot of things at trade deadline. If they play like they have been lately i say we should aim to get out of the conference.

I am mostly happy that for once we have something to build on for the future and when Hamilton becomes a supplier à la Grand Rapids it should make it even more interesting.Willing to be patient.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with you Matty but I’m really optimistic about the team’s (almost said “we” there) playoff chances.

• shiram says:

Considering their finish in the regular season, I would expect at least a good showing in the second round would be considered a success.
      But that glosses over many evaluation points.

I think he has to show an improvement over last year, especially since GMMB got him a top sniper and good depth all around.

I think a first round win is required for MT to have success. The team has proven to have the talent to compete with any team in the East, time we win some playoff games.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The Habs are good but so are Tampa. I would rate that series as a tossup, as would most sensible observers.

So there is already a 50% chance we will not progress to the 2nd round.

But let’s say we do – should Tampa then consider firing their coach?

Moving. Forward.

So rookie coach should have same standards as the 2nd year veteran coach in Montreal? Think you are trying to compare apples and oranges.

TBay’s success this year is similar to ours last year unexpected. Next season they will have more pressure and expectations to win a playoff round.

• AH says:

Matty, I’m a Habs fanatic since the late 60’s, after my faith, they are my “2nd religion”; only the cup means success.

I’m also one of those fans Scotty Bowman described: “win or tie I’m with them all the way!” LOL!

• frontenac1 says:

Success is The Cup amigo. I’m not complaining about this team however. They are doing great.

TSN is saying Lupul is out for the rest of the regular season. Get it, regular season.

42. Habfan10912 says:

Excuse my rose colored glasses but I think I see something in this team. As a huge and somewhat aged sports fan I can recall many teams who won championships with seemingly less talent then their foes.

1969 gave us two such examples. The 1969 NY Mets were given little chance but somehow found a way. Same for Joe Namath and his NY Jets.

In 1983 NC State beat a powerhouse Houston to win the NCAA Basketball Championship. Villanova did the seemingly impossible against the big bad Georgetown Hoya’s in 1985.

And of course we had the Miracle on Ice at Lake Placid where a bunch of rag tag college kids beat the Soviet Union.

All of those team had a seemingly strong will to win. I’m seeing that same thing with these boys. They seem to do what it takes to win. I really am starting to believe that they are gong to be a very tough out in these playoffs.

43. D Mex says:

My visits to HI/O have been infrequent the past week, but I recall seeing comments re : gathering funds to assist the Bozon family.

Further to a statement by Ron Robison that the WHL would take steps on this front, it appears a trust fund is in place – the link follows and may be of interest to HI/O-ers.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• Strabo says:

My question is why doesn’t Mr. Bozon have medical insurance that would cover him and not fall short? As the CBC article points out:

What a disgrace for the CHL, WHL and Kootenay Ice not to have enough coverage for him. They then have the nerve to ask that the public help pay for it. The heads of those 3 corporations should be made to cough that money up themselves.
      Once again you have businesses looking for a handout, shame on them.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

44. Sportfan says:

Is Weise back and ready to play or is he just practicing?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

45. johnnylarue says:

Saw this when it happened, and am happy to know someone else also recognized it as GIF-worthy:

• Dunboyne Mike says:

There’s just no room for a Gatorade barrel behind the bench.

• monmick says:

Is that Pleks with the bottle?

That is a sign of a team having fun together; nice to see as we are entering the payoffs. Can you imaging JVR doing this to Kessel in the last few weeks?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• BJ says:

It was Plekanec and it seems that Galchenyuk didn’t appreciate the second spray.

Hi BJ.
          Did you say you watched the 1960 Finals? Was that on DVD or youtube?

• BJ says:

Hi Mike. It was a box set DVD collection of historical Habs games my sister brought over for me as a christmas present. Did you get my email from Jim? I was waiting for a reply email from you.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ok great, I have that set.
            Sorry about that email. It may be another while — school and home are crazy, time off at Easter coming up. Sorry for the delay!

As opposed to Kessel telling Phaneuf to STF-up the other day?

The team does indeed seem to genuinely get along, a tight room it looks like. Perhaps credit to MT for staying out of that room enough to let it be so well bonded. And just maybe Gionta is a good quiet leader.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

All good points, Burly. It is great to see. They really look like they’re in a good place, pre-playoffs. Now if only PK could retrieve his game….

I’m not worried about PK, his nickname should be PrimeTime, he will deliver when needed, we just need our secondary scoring to be there and the rest of our defence to play really well.

Getting worked up here!
            Recalling PK called up vs Washington, 2010.
            And believing the Pleks line has enough time to find its groove before the dance….
            Every single team will play better in the playoffs.
            But so will we!

(SO WILL WE, TIMO! YOU KNOW IT!)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Interesting Freudian there, monmick! Entering the what?

So wrote a response to Bruce Arthur and he was polite enough to respond. Below is his response.

“You think I’d advocate Canada cheering for the Leafs? Really? Come on, now. I grew up in Vancouver.

I write this every year, regardless of who’s in and who’s out. Taking it as a slight towards one fanbase happens every year, too. Regular as clockwork.

Cheers, and thanks for the kind words.

Bruce”

47. Un Canadien errant says:

We’ll be tight to the cap next season, so we need to be cost-effective on our third and fourth lines, and the bottom pairing. So I think it’s unlikely that we re-sign Mike Weaver, as effective as he’s been.

Instead, we have to give Magnus Nygren an honest try, like happened with Alexei Emelin and Raphaël Diaz when they both came over from Europe. They were more mature and skipped the Bulldogs stage, and it looks like that’s the way we’ll have to go with Magnus.

He fits in better to our puzzle, in that he’s more of an offensive-minded player, so he can carry the puck and help out on the powerplay. And he shoots right.

Plus, our surplus of young defencemen is starting to strain the system in Hamilton, we need to open up opportunities for them. While I often preach patience, and letting the kids learn the ropes in the AHL, in Magnus’ case our hand is forced, since the guy is mature and has options, and has shown he’ll use them.

So next season we should have P.K. and Josh, Andrei and Alexei, and then Magnus with a leftie, whether that be Jarred or Nathan or Davis or Douglas or whoever, as long as he’s cheap.

• BJ says:

Thanks for the post Ronn. I liked his honesty and can’t really blame him, if he couldn’t adjust to the cultural change, having travelled quite a bit throughout Sweden I can understand how its possible for some individuals to not being able to make an adjustment to a situation that doesn’t meet expectations. It reminds me a bit of when Pacioretty made his declaration that rather than playing on the 4th in Montreal he would rather play with the Bulldogs in a more prominent role. And that turned out pretty well for him and us as fans. Lets hope its a similar situation with Nygren.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I guess no one really knows what happened to him in Hamilton yet I was surprised as to his definite comment of the NHL or SHL but no AHL.

48. Sportfan says:

Sportsnet put up a TV special after the jays game yesterday about the state of the franchise. I wrote a a little piece about it.

49. jimmy shaker says:

Would like to see this lineup for the first game of the playoffs. I’ve got Pleks and Gio back together to deal with stamkos, and danny B gets a shot on the wing with them because this is why he was brought here. His experience and playoff performance get’s the nod over bernie for at least a game. Since MT has an even shorter leash with danny b than with PK. So I know some might disagree with bernie watching in the press box, but he should find the ice sooner than later in my book.
    Here’s how I C it.

Patch/DD/Vanek
    Danny B/Pleks/Gio
    Chucky/Eller/Gally
    Weezy/Moen/Prust

Bernie will come in for either Moen or Eller
    Bourque is probably out
    Parros won’t be needed
    White is just the odd man out

Markov/Emelin
    Gorges/PK
    Murray/Weaver

Beaulieu probably won’t get in.
    Tinordi may get a chance for Murray
    Frankie is probably MT’s first choice to come in.
    The only changes in the D will be between Murray, tinordi and frankie.

Shaker out!

I can’t believe MT is benching Subban from practise! Of course he gives Markov and Emelin the day off….. such obvious favoritism.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, and if his name was Sousbains, he’d be double-shifted and wear a gold helmet.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• city center says:

So true. Despite the winning record, guys having break-out years and the team clicking at just the right time, MT is worst coach of all time. :)

On a serious note, I do hope that Markov gets to rest 2 of the 3 games left. My vote would be to let him play the Ranger game and that’s it before Tampa. Hope i am wrong about his endurance but boy he’s logged a lot of minutes this season.

Agree with those who also said maybe PK gets a game or two off to reset as I think it is just a concentration thing right now for him. I noticed Saturday night that he did his own “reset” on a rush toward the blue line–again. Just sucks the life out of the PP. Am not well versed on the science of PK deconstruction, but I have to think you are better off with him at least just lobbing the puck into the corner if he sees the wall waiting for him at the blue line. His now patented back-track move looks like it disrupts his PP mates. Eliminating that play from his repetoire will go along way with getting his game back on track IMO.

Best of luck Habs in the second season.

51. Dunboyne Mike says:

Forgive me for quoting you verbatim, MRonn. However, you make a very bold, counter-intuitive suggestion below which, although entirely alien to most of us on HIO, might just help preserve sanity somewhat if we’re all prepared to hold hands and make an uncomfortable leap of faith together:

Concerning decisions made by the Habs’ coaching staff:

“When those choices are made, they may end up not making sense to the fans/media at that specific moment, yet here’s trusting they know exactly what they are doing in terms of playoff preparation.”

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

News

Poster 24 Cups skilfully avoids accusations of inanity by being this thread’s first poster yet not writing “First!”

Just HOW did you do it? Where did you get the self-control? Do you feel guilty on behalf of all those who are longing to be first, only to see you win but then throw the honour away in so cavalier a fashion?

• punkster says:

Old age has its advantages and 24 is really old.

And like me he sees the need to be “first” as secondary to “lasting longer”.

Release the Subbang!!!

• ABHabsfan says:

So there is a young bull and an old bull together and they see a group of heifers down in the pasture. The young bull says to the old bull, “let’s run down there and…”
        well you know the rest

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

What?! What?!

Brand all the heifers with the word “First!”?

• ABHabsfan says:

” let’s run down there and fornicate (let’s say) with one of those heifers!”
            And the old bull says, “Naw. Let’s walk down fornicate with them all”

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
            Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Dunboyne Mike says:

One of those heifers would STILL have to be First!

• B says:

On his 90th birthday, his friends all chipped in and got him a hot young hooker. The hooker arrived and asked him if he would like some Super Sex! The 90 year old replied, “I’d like the soup”.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’ll have the soup FIRST! ANd then…

(24? Are these friends of yours? And did I just see 80 edited to 90??!!)

It all makes sense now!

• Danno says:

It’s a bit like winning the Stanley Cup and saying to yourself “that’s nice” while remaining stoically silent and not hoisting it for a victory lap. Sort of…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

53. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe, gloating on a team other than the Leafs’ misery.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

54. Sportfan says:

Would you give Weaver a one year deal?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

55. Frank2468 says:

I think Bruce Arthur is a bitter Nucks fan. Was born in BC married and moved to Toronto. So he’s frustrated that all CBC talks about and forces down the throats of Canada is the Leafs. If I was a Nucks fan I would be upset as well when the NHL and CBC makes up the schedule and when the Leafs play the Nucks in BC that the fans have to show up to the arena at 4:00 pm so that the Leafs can be seen coast to coast at 7 pm and be the national game as apposed to being the late on at 10 pm like they should. Lets all be honest? How many people say to others that I’m pulling for the other Canadian team when theirs has either, not made it or been eliminated in discussions with other fans of other clubs? You may say to others in public that you hope that the other Canadian team wins but when in the confines of your own home when the other American team scores a little person in you doesn’t do the little yes inside just like the commercial for pro line. Lets be honest we all do it LOL. How many of us in here would pull for the Leafs, Sens or Nucks if they were the last Canadian team in the playoffs? I would probably pull for the Flames Oilers or Jets cause they haven’t done anything yet to be annoying to other fans across Canada

• kalevine says:

well, I definitely pulled for the Nucks against the Boo ins in 2011, are you saying you didn’t??? :)

• Frank2468 says:

Lets just say I did pull for the Nucks over the Boos but either way it was dead by slow torture to watch either team LOL :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Similar. I started off enthusiastically cheering for Vancouver, all patriotic and all that. But yikes, as the series wore on, I found the Canucks harder and harder to like in any way. Now they are on my eternal hate list — along with Lanny McDonald and Calgary — for letting themselves lose to Daddy Campbell and the Bruins, and in such a pathetic and painful manner.

• kalevine says:

I thought the Nucks had him and then Horton got hit, something happened in the intermission and the Bruins became possessed.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good point. And you know, that’s more or less what happened with the Bruins last year when Toronto had them on the ropes in Game 7. Despise him though I do, Lucic has to take much credit for the comeback.

(Maybe they can go the other way, too, cf. Boston’s series vs Philly: weren’t the Bruins ahead 3-0 in the 3rd period and up 3 games to none?!)

56. ont fan says:

So are Jets fans outraged at the Kane benching against the leafs.

• bwoar says:

Pfft. It’s sort of surprising, but not that surprising. You can’t take the rabble at HFBoards etc. as “Jets fans” anymore than you can take HIO as “Habs fans”.

• Ozmodiar says:

is there anyone out there who still wants to see max traded for e kane??

anyone? anyone? ….

didn’t think so.

Max may only continue to improve, Can’t stress enough just how perfect Vanek appears to be for that line. I will really miss Vanek if he isn’t re-signed. For now I will enjoy!

57. newbrunswick troy says:

just listening to hockey central with Kipper and Scotty Bowman on as guest , Its some nice to be in a spot where all the media has no choose but to rally behind the Habs here in Canada ! i can’t wait to see those “leaf lovers” at the CBC having to crow and do the same in the playoffs!

58. Say Ash says:

Under the old format (assuming Detroit were already in the East):

1 Boston
    2 Pittsburgh
    3 Tampa
    4 Montreal
    5 Rangers
    6 Philly
    7 Detroit
    8 CBus

Sound right?

• Stevie.Ray says:

One minor complaint about the new standings is that all of the good teams can be in the same division. We have a 3 vs 4 matchup and a 5 vs 6 matchup.

What would happen if 5 Atlantic teams finished higher than any Metropolitan teams? A 1 vs 5, 2 vs 3, and a 4 vs 6(although 6 would be #1 in Metro)

• Mattyleg says:

Man, I would much rather play the Range than the Bolts.
      But that 1-2-3 rule was el-stupido.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• B says:

Why do you have Tampa ahead of Montreal?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Ozmodiar says:

old format – division champ?

• B says:

I forgot about that silly seeding. I would rather they just get rid of the seeding and divisions for determining playoff matchups. Heck, why not just rank the whole league and take the top 16 overall (especially since there is not the same number of teams in each conference).

–Go Habs Go!–

59. ont fan says:

Scotty Bowman,”Nyrop comes to camp after 2 Cups and wants to retire at 28. Shocked, he wonders who could possibly take his place. Langeway got his chance.”

60. Storman says:

I am working today as hard as Danny Briere

61. DipsyDoodler says:

Blue is their colour:

The PQ and the Maple Leafs.

On March 1 they both looked like a lock (of winning the election and making the playoffs). Right now both have a 1% chance.

Is PKP the PQ’s David Clarkson?

62. Say Ash says:

A chart of the Leafs’ playoff chances – looks like some of my stocks:

63. montreal ace says:

I am looking for very favourable officiating in our series against TBL, it would not be in the best interests of the NHL to have Montreal ousted. I really think the officials are going to be bending over backwards, to make sure we get into the 2nd round.

• ArmyFan says:

By “looking” I trust you don’t mean “hoping”. After seeing the Habs get the referee shaft so often, do you really hope any team wins OR loses based on biased officiating? Does anyone?

Best case scenario for all series, however unlikely, is error-free, rule-enforcing, unbiased officiating that truly lets the teams decide the outcome.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sorry ace. I feel you, but I’m with Army on this one.

• athanor says:

If only it could be so. I have my doubts about point one (error free) and point two (rule enforcing), especially point two.
          Playoff officiating makes my blood boil. The ‘Let the boys play’ mantra really translates to Let the cheaters cheat.

So true.
            Let em cheat, and let Daddy Campbell sort it out.
            Blood boiling here also.

64. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m still trying to figure out what Bruce Aurther is rambling on about in that mess of an article?

65. kerrgte says:

i just finished reading the article above entitled “no need to cheer for habs outside montreal,” by bruce arthur of postmedia news.

he argues that each of canada’s teams have their own fan base and they cannot/should not support a winning team should their own first preferred team disintegrate (eg toronto, edmonton, vancouver)

what foolishness is this?

Canadians are royally proud of the Cdn men’s and women’s hockey teams recent gold medals. What other small-population country can compare with this performance? (Remember the relative importance of hockey on the world stage? It was President Putin who didn’t give a damn about anything else as long as the Russian teams won the hockey gold medal.)

If Canada is to continue as a winning Olympic hockey team, then Canadians better show up to support Canadian winning teams even for the Stanley Cup. Hockey is an essential ingredient in our Canadian culture.

This means us Habs fans too. We have to support any and every Canadian team as they advance. (My personal support is prioritized thusly: Montreal first; every other Cdn team next except Toronto; then begrudgingly Toronto should they every even make the playoffs again in my lifetime; then every Canadian Olympic player on usa teams.

Rant for the day

Looking forward to our team’s best efforts and wishing them every success in the world as we emerge from a cruel Winter.
    cheers
    George K

• Old Bald Bird says:

I didn’t read it that way “could/should.” I read it that is they didn’t support another Canadian team, that’s okay.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sorry if I don’t see the relationship of a Team Canada hockey team made up of 100% Canadian born players, vs. a ‘Canadian based’ hockey team that is made up of multiple nationalities.

As an example, the today Habs roster has 14 Canadian born lads and 13 players born outside Canada.
      The Bruins have 15 Canadian born players.
      Vancouver Canucks only have 11.

Supporting a Canadian based hockey team after one’s own favorite city team has been eliminated, represents little to nothing concerning the development of Canadian hockey youth.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

So, can I now be granted absolution for cheering for Tampa vs Calgary in 2004? I was universally branded heretic and would have been burnt at the stake only for the fact that I was watching at a distance of 3000 miles and full of water!

• RH says:

I was the only one cheering for the Rangers in ’94. I briefly tuned in to that Tampa series only because there was a Canadian team in it for the first time in 11 years but, didn’t really care, one way or the other, who won.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh I cared! Still scarred by the sight of Lanny McDonald skating the Cup around the Forum….

• Maritime Ronn says:

You surely were not alone.
          Here’s guessing a lot of Quebec folks were cheering on Lecavalier and St. Louis.
          Folks from PEI must have been behind Brad Richards.
          The same for the other Canadian born Tampa players such as Hamilton native Dave Andreychuk

Indeed.
            I think I can actually recall a HNIC segment where they counted up how many Canadian players were on each team.
            Richards was great then, eh? And the whole series was shrouded in the gloom of the anticipated lock-out: “This could be the last hockey you see for a long time”. It sure worked on me!

Frankly, I think Subban could stand to miss a couple of game… just to reset. He could also use a coach who is not a complete buffoon but the likelihood of that is far smaller than getting a game or two off.

If Gorges is ready, play him, Beaulieu, the irreplaceable Franky Bouillon, Weaver, Murray and give guys like Subban and Markov a few days off.

• CJ says:

I do agree that giving PK and Markov a game off, perhaps two (not at the same time) would be advantageous. We need to be as healthy as possible and this includes both the physical and mental aspect of the game.

PK needs to hit the reset button. Fortunately, the playoffs are the biggest stage and it’s where the biggest stars shine. PK is that guy right?

• frontenac1 says:

Hola amigo. Did you see Gallants scrap last night? He sorted out Wellar who is 3 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier. Best pound for pound fighter in the league imo. Saludos!

• 24 Cups says:

IF Toronto can somehow beat Tampa in regulation tomorrow night, that would pretty well lock down home ice for the Habs. MT could then start Budaj in net against Chicago and set Price up for a string of games that would be Thurs/Sat/Wed. This would be after a four day rest from his last start against Detroit.

Markov could then take a break on Thursday or Saturday night. If MT plans on using Bouillon in the playoffs then a rest against Chicago might be worthwhile. I don’t think Subban should rest seeing that it would only lead to a complete and unnecessary shitstorm as the intent of the move would be totally misconstrued.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I think Coaches Therrien/Waite will sit down with Carey and make sure he has no lingering medical issues ( knee-groin-shoulder), then plot out what’s best for Carey that involves both rest and staying sharp mentally and physically.

• HabsPooch says:

Question is…what happens if PK has a tremendous playoff showing which leads us into the finals. Will this have a huge impact on what the asking price will be?…and then are we forced to dish out?

• ABHabsfan says:

Can’t be giving PK a day off, I’ve got him in my pool and I am 2 pts back from the $1000 prize. I need PK playing and getting pts not minuses! With Markov taking a night off, I think PK will step up in a big way. Could be the boost he needs ( and I need)

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Fansincebirth says:

Whatever version we are seeing of Subban right now, I believe it all began when it was announced that he was a candidate for the Olympics. It was like he started showing off and trying to do everything by himself to impress Stevie Y.

Maybe a game will help reset the young fella. I agree with resting him and put the spin on it that the Habs are resting him for the playoff run.

• mount royal says:

Gee Timo, We only ended up in second place after being generally picked not to make the playoffs. And we did all this with a `buffoon` coach?? Perhaps the real buffoon is in your mirror.

67. arcosenate says:

Bruce Arthur should stick to sports, this allusion to the Quebec election in an article against people hoping for the Canadiens is more than silly. We don’t mention the travails of other provincial governments when speaking of their hockey teams. Fact is that Quebeckers are making their choice today and that is all there is to that.

Mr. Arthur should stick to pucks, while hockey may or may not be as complicated as provincial politics, he has proven that he is not infallible on the former issue.

Stop mixing politics and sports, there’s no more loathsome reading than that.

68. Danno says:

Rob Ford on CBC News explaining his latest drunken stupor at ACC on Saturday.

The Laughs’ Circus of Fail just goes on and on…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

69. JUST ME says:

Congrats to number 67 for the third star of the week in the NHL.

70. mrhabby says:

heres hoping for a resounding majority win by the Liberals in Quebec.

71. shiram says:

Third in the East.

72. Mattyleg says:

I second that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• bwoar says:

Just finished reading the last thread. Matty, offer that gal a tissue. It will solve your problem and it’s the gentlemen’s way of solving a problem.

But seriously, that PK guy….! I must be the only one who thinks he IS an idiot.

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!

And as for the tissue… I would have, but I don’t have one. I’d have to go looking for one, and she’s not nearly pretty enough for me to justify those kinds of measures. ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Paz says:

Yes. It’s a “ha” moment for sure when a Habs fan is sure Subban is an idiot.

But I’m not surprised.

Good support there Matty! Well done!

• RH says:

You just might be. Others would just say he’s overrated.

• bwoar says:

I’m just stirring the pot. I’m pretty sure everyone trying to make a huge RFA payday always plays selfish, uninspired hockey for much a season, and are unresponsive to coaching directions.

The truth is PK is a reasonably intelligent guy, but he’s got to learn when to pass the puck. Still wanting to keep it too much. He needs to lay off that 2nd assist cookie and eat his breakout pass veggies.

73. athanor says:

Really? You went there?

74. Un Canadien errant says:

Dumb, dumb comment. If you wanted to make your little joke, you should have gone ahead and done so, without the crocodile tears at the beginning.

75. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’ve only read him a few times

…thank You for the insight

76. CJ says:

I agree with the spirit of your post. Unfortunately, you can’t have one without the other. I find the regular season long. 82 games is a grind. I love hockey, but 70 games is just about right IMO, with the schedule starting in October and the playoffs ending by mid May.

77. HabsPooch says:

I agree with that as well. I think you would see better quality hockey as well…..less is more. Maybe space out the scheduling and avoid back to back games where more injuries may result.