Therapy day for Cammalleri, Plekanec

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Dominic Moore | Tom Pyatt

UPDATE, 11:32 am: Therapy day at practice for Cammalleri, Plekanec. Cammalleri is still rounding back into form after having missed 7 1/2 weeks with a knee injury, while Plekanec is hampered by a hip injury that he’ll play with the rest of the season, taking strategic rest and treatment. Link to French story on this by La Presse’s Marc Antoine Godin.

UPDATE 10:30 am: Carey Price is on the ice, getting some extra work in goal, with Mathieu Darche and Ben Maxwell providing the shots under the eye of goaltending coach Pierre Groulx. All left the ice around 10:50 am; not sure when they were on.

The Canadiens held an intense 30 minute workout in Brossard this morning, followed by some casual slapping the puck around, faceoff drills and one-time shooting practice. Not a surprise that the team dialled it down a little today, heading into their fourth game in a six-night stretch tomorrow at home vs. the New Jersey Devils.

The practice was updated here live via Twitter.

1. TomNickle says:

I believe that team is about to be tangled up in some bad business.  And I believe that they are the product of a terrible division.  For all of the Pens dogging that goes on here, does anyone really believe that the Penguins and Devils wouldn’t have an equivalent or better record than the Caps in that porous division?

2. Storm Man says:

I for one would love to see Lombardi with the Habs he has tons of speed and can play the PK also…

3. mike g says:

What if he just plays like a little girl again? You can’t say “what if”. That’s why it’s “show me the results, and here’s your big contract”. I’m not saying he has to get 20 points in the playoffs, but he has to come through as a clutch/untouchable player for the Habs. He has to make these playoffs a statement to the organization that they can’t move on without him…

Big time money/clutch players always find a way to shine….

IMO 5 million$ is big money. If you want it you have to earn it, especially when you want it for 5 years. You don’t just throw 25 million to someone….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

4. TomNickle says:

What’s the price tag on a top 6 that you can put up against anyone else’s in the league?  Do you cap it at $4.5 million?  There are reasons that players are overpaid, there worth to one team is different than it is to another.  His value to us is high because we have no replacement, is it high enough to overpay to the degree of Gomez? No!  But it is enough that you pay him a reasonable amount that forces you to make other moves(like trading away that defenseman who I really dislike at this point).  Our top 6 with him is a unit that rivals the rest of the league top to bottom.  Without him, it doesn’t and there’s no suitable ufa replacement other than Marleau.  If he can make a trade, by all means, have at it, but I don’t want to see Maxwell or Trotter in a Habs uni as a top 6 forward next season.

5. Bugs says:

Shocking, isn’t it?

But to be fair to Theo, I knew we’d never win with him on the day he was drafted. Knew his knees would shake at point break. Saw it in his eyes, crazy as that sounds.

And what about that “ankle injury”? Do you buy it?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

6. mike g says:

I’m not sure, I really wish I’d know…

Marleau, no thanks. Lombardi, maybe but Phoenix players are all benefitting from career years now. Dangerous to go after any of them…But you can’t panic because you might have a hole next year, so throw him the big money. Because then you can be stuck with him long term. There are always UFA’s every year, and trades can be made..

But one things for sure is that there’s no way Pleks signs for 2 years. He took a one year deal this year so that he could be in this exact situation, UFA status. This is his chance to sign his career deal, 5 or 6 years. No way he passes it up for a 2 year deal. There’s always another team who will throw you a rediculous offer (Rangers, lol)..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Difference is the Penguins finished strong at the end of the year last season after Bylsma took over, right now they’re struggling so they have to switch from low to high gear rather than just remain in high gear. If they can’t get it going soon, it could be an ugly exit.

I won’t take the Bruins seriously, Rask isn’t Miller and the team up and down has no cohesion, they’ll face a top seed and I don’t think they can unseat any of them without several miracles.

Flyers can’t handle the Capitals, Capitals are a big team with tons of scoring threats, their goaltender will not be able to stand up to what they bring. Flyers won’t be able to shove them around with the size of that team either.

Buffalo, I just don’t see their team handling the post-season that well, Ruff is a good coach but he’s not going to be able to browbeat the refs in the post-season as much to get calls going his way and on paper, their scoring depth is lacking. Defence and goaltending can win a series, but their season has survived on 1-goal games, that’s going to haunt them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. TomNickle says:

Trust me in that if they could’ve trade either goalie to Phili for Jeff Carter it very likely would’ve happened.

9. jimmy shaker says:

Great read on the http://www.canadiens.nhl.com site underneath the jersey vs. habs game labelled “playoff race.”  It’s got all the teams points, games left, home vs away and the remaining schedule of all the teams.  Minus the leafs of course.  Looks like only us, the sens and the thrashers finish our season off on saturday april 10, everyone else will finish up the next day, Sunday!

Shaker

10. HabFanSince72 says:

Chara should be thrown out of the league for being (1) an ape and (2) a Boston Bruin.

11. avatar_58 says:

Is that really fair though? What if our goalies fall apart? What if the D sucks? What if his linemates suck it up? There are many factors that could contribute to a bad playoff run. It’s not all on Pleks.

12. TomNickle says:

His point was that he was scoring with those players and when AK came back from injury he started playing hide and seek on the scoresheet.  You’re putting more emphasis on his point.

13. mike g says:

Tommy boy, my friend..lol. We often agree on everything, but I can’t here….

We both know the Hamrlik signing was a big mistake. Not the player, he’s good. But the monetary amount is way to much. It was a mistake, and as a professional franchise you have to learn from these mistake and not repeat them in order to be successful…Plek’s can use Hamrlik’s contract during negotiations, but PG has to explain that it’s overpaying. I think Plek is smart and already knows that…

All in all I’m not saying never sign Tomas to 5 million$. All I’m saying is he has to prove it to us that he can perform in big games and during the playoffs before we give it to him. Because IMO, he hasn’t yet.

If he does perform when it really matters this year, then sign him fast. 5 million, no problem. He will have proved that he can play when it counts. I’ll be happy, you’ll be happy, and so will Tomas. Heck, even Youppi will be happy.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

14. avatar_58 says:

That doesn’t really change what I asked. In Komisarek’s case we had other D-men to sign and those in the minors waiting to take his job. We do NOT have someone to replace Plek. Gomez would move to the first – further screwing up the dynamic of him and Gionta unless the smurf line is re-created (which simply doesn’t work many nights)

So the question is who do we get? In 2 years? Would a Hamilton boy be able to step in and fill his shoes? Trotter? White? I’m not so sure.

If it’s that shakey offer him a 5 mil for 2 years. Everyone seems hell bent on long term, but who’s to say he’s going to be offered that by anyone? Let’s wait and see.

15. CERF says:

really enjoy your insight on all things relating to the habs Mike, Thank you for the good reads!

i was thinking the same thing but cant put into such detail and proper grammer lol…

16. TomNickle says:

You saw what happened to Theo when he had to stop using.

17. G-Man says:

Mike, both of his scoring wingers suffered injuries with long rehab time. Great players need players who can score. Do you think Pyatt and Darche can?

18. habsgod says:

i like your marleau idea however the sharks will lock him long term not so sure about lombardi,i think that would be a downgrade on pleks if we lose plekanec the bright side is we have the best goaltending tadem in the league (both guys are capable #1′s) we can always trade 1 of them to philly for jeff carter

19. TomNickle says:

Under contract next season for $3 million and then is an RFA the following year.

20. Bugs says:

With this business in Washington with the steroids and everything, I remember hearin somethin about nandrolone (or whatever) and how that drug allowed athletes to recuperate more quickly and I’m just sayin, I’m JUST sayin, it worked for Markov in Russia and no one got caught.

So maybe, I don’t know, dump more of that sh*te in Cammy’s ice cream, would you?

Thanks.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

21. TomNickle says:

That player is one of two missing pieces from this team to be a cup contender.  I’ve wanted him here for the last 2 years.  Gritty, scoring touch, can fight, used to be a defenseman, plays the point on the powerplay and shows up when it matters.

The other piece of course is what Roman Hamrlik is supposed to be.  A defenseman on the second pairing capable of playing 22 effective minutes.

22. avatar_58 says:

What his status again? RFA? UFA? Signed? I think he might be worth gunning for next year.

23. mike g says:

You can’t think like that. That’s how BG was thinking, so he forced himself to go out and trade for Gomez..Now we have a 7.3 million$ cap hit for 4 more years, for a played that was overpaid by another team…

Not bashing Gomez here. I like him. He’s a monster, he battles, and he’s a very imporatnt player to our team. But his contract is horrible, nobody will ever argue that. But BG forced himself to go out and get any “#1 centerman” because we didn’t have one. You can’t think like that.

Similar situation: Mike Komisarek. We had a budget with him. Based on his performances with us, and our evaluation of his moetary value, we realized he was worth X amount. He said no thanks, and took the plane to Toronto for 4.5 million. Good for him, and for us. That’s another overpaid UFA, and we replaced him with O’Byrne for much less. You have to draw the line somewhere. 4.5 for Komisarek is way to much, we all know that. But thank God we didn’t panic and say “Ok Mike, just sign here for wtv you want because there is nobody else we can replace you with”….

That’s my opinion…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

24. twocents says:

Pleased to make your acquaintance.
    I hope your time here at HI/O is both pleasant and long lasting.

25. TomNickle says:

If we can give Roman $5.5/year we can give $5 to Pleks without batting an eyelash.  I’m firm on that number though, if he wants a penny more?  Goodbye!  And go sign Lombardi(to play in his hometwon) or offer Marleau a contract that allows him to retire a Hab.

26. habsonly says:

Ya he would be nice. He would create alot more open ice for Plecks and he goes to the net. That would work.

27. avatar_58 says:

Byfuglien perhaps?

28. mike g says:

I agree with his character, accountability, effort level/intensity, and his loyalty to this team…

But in the end, if you want the big coin, you have to produce points. Alot of players around the league play just as hard as he does and have tons of character, but are paid way less than 5 million$.

They can’t sign him to a big contract only to have this trend continue to repeat itself. This years playoffs will be very crutial in determining his impact as a big game player, and his eventual contract with this team for the future….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

29. Bugs says:

Switch Vokoun for Miller game 1 of the season and then tell me where the Sabres and Panthers are in relation to each other.

Pretty equal again.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

30. TomNickle says:

The Penguins are the class of the East and finished in 6th when they went to the Cup final I believe.

Ruins are dangerous for anyone with Rask in net.

We are dangerous for anyone with vet presence and depth(when healthy).

If Phili gets “ok” goaltending I would predict a 5-6 game series win over the Caps for them.

Buffalo has a good mix of vets and youth, and the best coach in the East in my opinion.

People rag on our Defensemen and Price.  I believe that they will be our saving grace in the playoffs.  I see Halak wearing down and Price saving the day ala Irbe/Ward and I see Spacek being our best defenseman in the playoffs.

If, as an objective observer I had to pick an Eastern Conference Final I would pick us and the Pens.  No, seriously.

31. matraque says:

What a check by Spacek!  Clean beautiful hit.

Halak solid, as usual, and collects the first star.

Big contribution by the 1st line.

The 2nd finally starting to live again

3 and 4 are 3 and 4th line… expandable players that are doing what they are supposed to do.

I really want JM to put MAB back on the D.  MAB was the most effective when he was playing D and PP.  F and PP does not seems to work for him.  Put him back on the D.

Why does Markov has to play with our 5th D????

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

32. Bugs says:

He “had to win the Philly game” after not playing for three and a half weeks? Really?

I dunno, Maki…

And also, he didn’t “drop” the leaf game; WE’RE the ones who came back. As for Boston, he lost ONE game. Please. Our record against them shows Halak has done just fine.

Shuttin the door. Consolidating victory, not letting it go when almost attained.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

33. habsonly says:

Whether Plecks shines in the playoffs or not, if PG does not offer Plecks something around 5 mill per, unfortunately some other GM will and once again we will loose another player for SFA.

I hope Plecks stays, what he needs is a big winger who can score and play tough, thought AK46 would be that guy but I am loosing faith in him. A good power forward would really help Plecks with the more physical teams such as you mentioned.

Hopefully Plecks will pick his game up once Cammy finds his stride.

34. avatar_58 says:

Who else would we sign instead for next year? That’s all I want to know.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Not really right now.

- Pens are up and down and no one knows if they’ll get it together for playoffs.

- Sabres live and die with Ryan Miller.

- New Jersey’s relying upon Brodeur, who isn’t up to 70GP plus long playoff drives at his age.

- Flyers have garbage goaltending, doomed.

- Sens are playoff chokers without goaltending.

- Ruins are what they are.

- Montreal, we just don’t know, but can’t really pin our hopes on anything massive. JM’s playoff coaching record is questionable at best and while we do play to the level of our opposition, I don’t see a 93 Miracle Run repeated.

Washington can make the Cup Finals, who their opponent will be in that case is anyone’s guess but a lot of West Coast teams have a glaring weakness, despite the Coyotes miracle run, there is no such thing as a clear favourite for the Cup this year.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. TomNickle says:

First of all.  I like the player and predicted that he would blossom under Martin(pat on the back).

Here’s why I believe he should be signed(no more than $5/year).

1.  What kind of impact do your top 6 forwards have when they aren’t scoring?  Do the compete hard, do they play physical, do they stir the pot?  He does these things and has value when he isn’t scoring.

2. I’ve never heard Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton, Daniel Alfreddsson or other playoff underachievers say “I played like a little girl”.  There’s an accountability in him that you don’t find in the superstars around the league.

With all of that said he needs to learn how to be stronger on the puck and he MUST improve his faceoffs.  Most lost faceoffs in the NHL.  THAT is not good heading into the playoffs.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve been wondering that myself.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. TomNickle says:

Flames are the perfect candidate for the type of re-tooling that Gainey did here in the summer.  They have too many players under contract though.

39. mike g says:

This post is to explain MY p.o.v. on Tomas Plekanec’s contract situation….

Plekanec is our top scorer because he was on fire, fuego, lights out and superb for the 1st half of the year. No matter who he played with he racked up points. They were sometimes 3rd liners, and he made them shine. Recently we’ve seen a drop in his play. Check this out…..

First 39 games of the year: 43 points, or 1.10 points per game

Last 35 games: 23 points, or 0.59 points per game

0 points of the Powerplay in the past 16 games

His point production has almost been cut in half. Our leading scorer has 2 assists in his past 14 games, alarming for a player who’s known to be more of a passer than a goalscorer. In Plekanec’s last 4 games against Boston, probably our biggest rival, a team that plays physical vs us, and a team we’ve been battling all year for the final playoff spots: 0 points in those 4 games. In his last 2 games vs Philadelphia, a team we’ve also been battling with and that plays like Boston: 0 points in those 2 games. Recently we had a big game vs Ottawa, battle for 5th place, 0 points for Pleks. Same thing happened in Toronto, 0 points for our leading point getter against arguably the weakest defense/goaltending in the league.

Big games vs rival/playoff battling teams and Tomas hasn’t produced. If you’re going to pay someone 5 million dollars or more for 4+ years, and label them your #1 centerman, you need production from them in those games. Otherwise, you’ve got yourself a case of Patric Marleau. And we all know how he’s talked about…

Like I said, I really like Plekanec. I think he’s great. I understand he plays alot of PK minutes, and in all situations. That is demanding alot from a player, especially one who went to the Olympics. But in Plekanec’s place, it’s an alarming situation. We saw him dissapear 2 years ago in the playoffs. Last year was the same (while the whole team was invisible, to his credit), and he went on the record to say he played like a “little girl”. So with the stats I just provided, wouldn’t you also be worried about signing him to 5+ million $ per year, for long term? It’s a 3 year trend so far that at least makes me worry….

It’s not his fault. Maybe he’s still trying and giving his 100%, and he will break out of his playoff slump this year. I really hope so. Don’t get me wrong, I love Plecky, I want him to succeed and get the big contract. But if I was PG, I’d tell him this: Have a good playoff run, we will sign you to 5 million$ for 5 years. Have another dissapointing postseason, we’ll give you 3.5 million$ for 3 years. The ball is in your court. You want the big money/contract, earn it when it matters. (Obviously I would phrase it in a nicer, more approachable manner to Tomas and his agent. But you get the point)

You can’t throw big money and term at him just because we need a centerman now. You’ll regret it in the end if his trend of late season slumps continues….He has to prove it to earn it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

40. TommyB says:

Actually, I am really looking forward to the Devils on Saturday.  We played them well this year, and this time we have a totally healthy lineup.  With the possibility of a playoff meeting against them, I think the Habs will put in their A game.  Gomez and Gionta will certainly be up for this one.  Brodeur has traditionally killed us, but even he is starting that slide to the downside of his career.  I think Halak can compensate.  Should be a great game.