The World Juniors

Louis Leblanc and his teammates are playing the dastardly Americans tonight.

Just so it doesn’t clog up previous posts, Comment on the game here.

1. MRSDHab says:

As an American Hab fan I must state the obvious…go USA

2. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Hope Louis stays outta trouble tonight, the kid’s got enough pressure on him as it is!

3. samTHEman says:

Oh well…really wanted the Swedes to win. What do you know…russians win in a shootout, their area of expertise.

I guess I’m not that dissapointed actually. A Canada vs Russia final will definately be a dandy!!

And the crappy goaltending continues as Russia beats Sweden.

Hahah… Can someone interview the swedish coach now please? Eat that, jerk! I just love karma… she is such a beeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaach!

6. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

strangely enough, he’s actually from New Jersey

7. Deano says:

Just in the first and third periods

8. Keith says:

I love seeing laff prospects getting nailed!

9. Keith says:

I think our physical play will be the difference in this game.

10. Keith says:

Hope we get to hear that siren all night long!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

11. PrimeTime says:

yaaaaaay

12. oshawahabsfan says:

Damn they make a garbage goal look good!

13. oshawahabsfan says:

Great job in delaying coming on the ice. Who’s the home team?

14. Keith says:

I second that!

15. 24moreCups says:

This is going to be a good one!

GOO CANADA!!!

16. oshawahabsfan says:

If only we could mute McGuire. Can we trade him to the Americans?

17. nickster13 says:

Ryan Ellis is in too many commercials, also, hockey players are terrible actors

18. nickster13 says:

I agree, mega lame, and yeah we love hockey, but come on tim hortons, it doesnt touch our hearts or whatever

19. JIMVINNY says:

Oh, how I hate that crosby commercial.  Repeating something he said as a kid, and it’s supposed to be what – Inspiring?

20. Keith says:

Hurry up and drop the puck!

21. Keith says:

Like I said, I don’t know what I did but right now I’m seeing two keyboards lol! Not good at all.

22. avatar_58 says:

I feel for the guy but don’t give me that. They did this during the olympics too – making every event into a huge emotional thing.

23. punkster says:

Found the shovel I see. ;)

***Subbang!!!***

24. Chuck says:

Losing your mom to breast cancer is hardly a “sob story”.

Centre Hice: yeah, but was it legal?

25. avatar_58 says:

Oh lord…..cmon TSN don’t become CBC. We don’t need the sob stories to make the rivalry worse.

26. Keith says:

I don’t know what happened with that. In my dilerium, I must have hit an extra key.

27. PrimeTime says:

Our Game……..Go Canada!!!

28. oshawahabsfan says:

I’ve only caught a bit of the US play in the tournament thus far. From what I’ve seen, they have too many “all about me” players on their team. That and their dependance on the powerplay is quite suprising, over half their goals in the tournament scored on the powerplay

29. StevieRay says:

Louis is playing well …looks like a great prospect for us !

30. StevieRay says:

He’s a dandy is right , it’s been a coming out show for him for sure !

31. samTHEman says:

yeah schenn sucks. go louise lablanche!!

32. Hagar says:

I’m worried about Schenn. He’s been sucking for us. Louis will pot a hat trick. We will win this game.

33. samTHEman says:

Johanssen will open the scoring for Canada. really like this kid

34. samTHEman says:

don cherry’s way

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Every goalie has a weakness, Lehner’s appears to be 5-hole.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

He’ll do it the white way

37. StevieRay says:

What a exciting last 3 minutes of regulation…. this is great hockey to watch . Never count the Ruskies out …

Canada must get better backstopping if they hope to win …  …roll 4 lines  ..hit everything in sight ..Lets do it boys!!

38. SeriousFan09 says:

To be fair Ian, Russians played a great game considering they started at 8 last night and went into OT against Finland than had to played a rested Swedish team. Swedes had their chances but couldn’t convert, bad luck? I guess but this was a great goaltending duel on both ends with heart and soul effort by the Russians, that tying goal symbolized how the Russians have stuck around in this tournament.

It was a very even match, Swedes physical power started to overwhelm the tired Russians towards the end, who needed to hold on for the shootout.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

The white hat trick Sam.?

40. samTHEman says:

leblanc hat trick!!!!

Wanted the Swedes to win, but the Ru-skies had a little help from some bloopers by the refs and a bounce or two.

Swedes were the better team, both Canada and the USA will beat the Ru-skies going away.

This will be the GOLD metal game tonight for sure, USA & Canada.

Goal tending is going to be a problem for us. But we do have the best coach in the tournament.

All 4 lines for us will have to dig very deep to pull this off. It will be a classic.!!

ENJOY IT.!

Somewhere Ooder is popping up a bubbly.

43. ManApart says:

McDonagh just got called up by the Rangers.

44. habsfanmandy says:

After the road trip and all those dismal Habs games… got to watch some GREAT hockey at the Juniors. What a game. If the Habs played like that, with that intensity, we’d be shoo-ins for the Cup. :) Leblanc looked good, that’s important. And what a player Kassian’s gonna be, huh?

Can’t wait for the gold-medal game.

45. Keith says:

Nice win boys! Now for GOLD AGAINST RUSSIA!!! GO CANADA GO!!!

Yep! They all have to pay their dues in the AHL first, or assistant in the NHL.

But Dave Cameron is a great teacher, I know him personally.

This was a fun game to watch, isn’t winning with skill fun?

47. Hagar says:

That was good.

48. Keith says:

Now to hear that song again ;-)

49. Propwash says:

The two goalies deserved their awards.

50. MTLForever says:

LEBLANCCCCCCCCC! can’t wait for the Louis chants in the Bell asap.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs organization would need the stones to hire a unilingual coach, but I sense that day is likely coming after JM’s term behind the bench is up, time to say hang the language, this is about Wins and Cups. I think Cameron would have to work the AHL or somewhere in the NHL as an assistant, even the 2-time Memorial Cup Coach Boughner had to accept assistant in CLB this year to break into NHL hockey.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

52. habsfanmandy says:

ooh, I need a new avatar. (runs off)

53. Bill says:

Which team has the most prospects in the WJC? Is there a site that lists this?

Full Breezer 4 Life

I found this cool hockey site. Lots of info >> http://www.eliteprospects.com

Enjoy!!

55. Chuck says:

Thank goodness that the gold medal game is at 7pm. I might actually get some work done on Wednesday!

Centre Hice: yeah, but was it legal?

56. smiler2729 says:

And Pierre McGuire has by now gushed over each and every Canadian player as if he were paid by each family to spew accolades about their boy… yes, the crazy Canadian hockey parent knows no boundary.

57. deuce6 says:

That was your gold medal game..Not trying to get ahead of myself here, but we will walk over Russia..They did us a huge favor by knocking off the best team, IMO…Sweden

58. shootdapuck says:

First period hammering set the tone.

Last two periods; most endangered species was a US forward being first into any corner!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

I just stumbled upon this site >> http://www.eliteprospects.com

Pretty good info, database driven and well presented.

60. shootdapuck says:

Gushed, fawned and drooled.

Pretty pathetic!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

61. Bill says:

Yeah, that is a good site, I’ve been looking at it since you posted it earlier. That was what actually got me wondering if there is a simpler list of the rosters that includes who drafted the various players. But I’m still looking through the site you posted, lots of interesting info, thanks!

Full Breezer 4 Life

62. Propwash says:

It would be cool if Boone blogs the game between Canada and Russia.

LOL!!! Glad you like it.

This link has a list of those who are drafted.

You’ll have to click on each name to see who drafted them.

Boston beat Toronto 2-1.

65. Everlasting1 says:

Idk, but the Blues have 3, a canadian, a swede and a russkie.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t know about Dick Irvin, but Pollock and Bowman were Montrealers who spoke decent French.

I think the Habs have found their next coach.

What a game plan. And to implement it every shift to perfection. The USA did not know what hit them from the get -go.

Bring on the Rus-kies!

68. HabFanSince72 says:

I believe coaching is more and more becoming a young(er) man’s job. But you’re right that Montreal is a tough gig for a rookie coach.

69. MTLForever says:

Yes he is.

70. SmartDog says:

Foligno’s retaliation hit on a US player, dumping him into the boards is EXACTLY the kind of thing the Habs need more of.  And only PK throws those kinds of hits.

——-

71. habsfanmandy says:

Yeah I’ve been thinking about this… so on the one hand he goes for the big hits and takes himself out of the play often leading to goals against… on the other, his D partner should know he does that and be prepared…

72. HabFanSince72 says:

Patrick Roy will be our next coach.

I agree we need a little sand paper DOG

74. SeriousFan09 says:

He’ll need to pay his dues in the AHL and bulk up a bit for the NHL, but I figure in 12-13 he’ll be a regular and good friend of the Bell Centre faithful.

Next season should be quite something in Hamilton since both Leblanc and Kristo should be lining up for the Bulldogs, perhaps Joonas Nattinen can join them as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I cannot see it. But I do not know what kind of a coach he is. After a few years in the minors, we may get a picture.

Does he parler francais?

77. HabFanSince72 says:

He’s been coach and GM of the Remparts for 5 years, and very successful at it.

He turned down the Avs head coaching job, obviously because he’s waiting for the big prize.

Was it me or did McGuire says something to the effect “how would you feel if you had Kassian and Foligno go down on you”… about when one of the american players was checked into the bench by these two guys. JT should record it as Pierre’s homoerotic moment of the game.

The Molson boys will have a big say in the next hire.

80. MTLForever says:

yeah he said something like that hahaha

Is it too late for Canada to add MAB… just to be sure they DO win.

82. HabFanSince72 says:

Probably.

If you had to guess, do you think the  Molsons would suggest a French speaking coach?

83. BJT says:

So who else thinks Kassian is EXACTLY what the Habs need?

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

84. BJT says:

How is that remotely intimidating? Those are solid stats, but nothing to worry about. They’re right, you are a Blues fan.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

85. HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry Bill, it might look that way to you, but requiring that the coach speak French ain’t xenophobia.

Like a handful  of H I/O contributors you seem to hold Quebecers in some  contempt.

86. Everlasting1 says:

Davis Payne is doin’ aiight..not to mention Guy Boucher.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

It really does not matter what language the coach speaks. Just as long as they drink Molsons. The Molson family hired Dick Irvine, Sam Pollock, and Scotty Bowman and everyone drank their beer when they were winning..

88. SeriousFan09 says:

I should have mentioned this in Habs Future but it slipped my mind writing the report but it deserves to be considered.

C Joonas Nattinen, 3rd Star of Habs Future missed the first two months of his hockey season with an achilles tendon injury, you wouldn’t be able to tell that by looking at him in the Tournament.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Yup, and he took another head OHL coach with him. Jim Haulton

90. Da Hema says:

So long as Pierre Boivin is with this team, its most publicly visible organisational position, i.e., its head coach, will be held by a French-Canadian. Boivin has made that crystal clear Ian.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

No need Timo

92. SeriousFan09 says:

Didn’t know the Habs were going to be the practice team for rookie NHL coachs again.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

93. Bill says:

Whether it’s xenophobia or not – and witness the Quebec reaction to the Lapierre trade for more of that – requiring the coach to speak French certainly “ain’t” about hockey. And that’s all I really care about when it comes to my hockey team.

I do not hold Quebecers in contempt. The language politics, however, are worse than contemptible. Xenophobic is probably too light a term, actually.

Full Breezer 4 Life

I believe he is finished with the organization as of this summer.

95. Da Hema says:

On what basis do you make this claim?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

96. Bill says:

He’s what every team needs. Unfortunately, someone else got him.

That was a good draft year. I think Montreal did well to get Leblanc where they did. Can’t believe the Leafs didn’t take Kassian! Truculence …

Full Breezer 4 Life

97. Chips says:

Geoff Molson is taking over as prez. They announced it quite a while ago, maybe even as far back as last summer after the purchase was finalized.

25 in 2011

98. avatar_58 says:

One has to wonder with Eller, Leblanc, Desharnais, Plekanec, Gomez + whoever they sign as their defacto 4th/PK UFA center (Moore,Metro,Halpern,etc)….how many centers do they need? Are some of these guys going to play wing?

99. ABHabsfan says:

Peter De Boer went straight from Kitchener to the Panthers, I believe.

100. sidhu says:

Congrats to DD!

Hamilton
    Bulldogs center David Desharnais has been named the Reebok/AHL Player
    of the Month for December. Desharnais led all AHL scorers with 17
    assists and 20 points in 14 games for the North Division-leading
    Bulldogs.

101. Da Hema says:

Merci!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

102. MTLForever says:

ya some will move to wing

103. Duracell3 says:

Possibly. The other possibility is that the Avs were as weak as they’ve ever been, and he thought someone else would step in ala Joe Sacco and coach them during a bad time while their kids mature, then he steps in once they are better.

104. Duracell3 says:

So, you have no experience with soccer.

Rangers FC fans regularly sing racist songs and nazi salute, sometimes after goals, sometimes for no reason at all. A black American player signed with them not long ago. You can about imagine how that went. To my knowledge they have never employed an Irish player, and would be hated by a large portion of their fans for even a Catholic one.

Other teams in Eastern and Souther Europe have similar issues, although it’s more about excluding than including compared to Montreal.

As far as the coach goes, did I don’t believe Dick Irvin spoke French.

105. Duracell3 says:

Partially correct.

But on the other hand, imagine how dumbfounded the leafs would be with a coach that only spoke french. Their media would rip him apart no different.

106. shootdapuck says:

Boivin is history in June 2011.

He parting move was to get his kid Patrick hired by the Canadiens as “Director of Hockey Operations”

Previous experience “marketing for NHL and the Canadiens”.

Nepotism at its best!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

107. TommyB says:

Do you think each of those players will be in a Habs sweater all at the same time?  Leblanc is at least 2 years away, Desharnais hasn’t secured a spot, Eller you could say the same.  Pleks should be around, but Gomez, who knows.  So what I’m saying is, by the time Leblanc suits up for Montreal, if in fact that ever happens, the centres on the roster could look quite different.

108. MTLForever says:

I know that. Hopefully Kristo and him will play together.

109. Everlasting1 says:

Canada will have to watch out for Russia’s Vladimir Tarasenko (Blues’ prospect) – has 3 goals (2 game winners), 6 assists, +6.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

110. CanadienBoy says:

There is one coach who been keep out off the NHL for too long. Who was a head coach Ted  Noland

111. Bill says:

The Montreal Canadiens will never hire an anglophone coach, much less a unilingual anglophone coach. Dream on. The xenophobic language politics of Quebec make it a practical impossibility. The press would have no trouble raising the rabble against him and would have him tarred and feathered within three months. Imagine if an Anglo gave Lapierre’s ice-time to Tom Pyatt: forget waffles on the ice, you’d have a crowd throwing hatchets.

The Habs really are unique in this sense. I can’t imagine there is another professional sports team – any sport, any professional league – that hires based on language or nationality. Lucky us. I hope they take that money they took out of scouting players and put it into scouting French coaches.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Next year in the AHL and then he might be ready. He knows the game and has great skill with speed. One year in the minors at the very least though.

113. Sportfan says:

I saw that and Del Zotto got sent down was like woah lets hope McDonagh is a flop :P ? or not mainly i dont want our trade to look bad but good luck too bad for Del Zotto was he really doing that badly?

114. Everlasting1 says:

An overwhelming canadian contingency in Buffalo..even the white jerseys were ours. Bring on the Russkies..and bring it home.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

TV rules the world Sam. Time, more time in overtime is not what TV wants, unfortunately.

116. samTHEman says:

Why do these high intense tournaments go to shootout? All that effort and in the end the fate of the game, and potentially the championship, is decided in a shootout! Disgusting! They should let these guys battle it out till a goal is scored

117. avatar_58 says:

Imagine if the canada game goes to a shootout? I don’t like their chances

I bet russians would disagree… they look exhausted.

119. Maksimir says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

120. JIMVINNY says:

It seems to me that Leblanc is by far the most unselfish player on the team.  He  appears much more concerned about the team winning, as compared to other players that seem more concerned with making sexy individual plays.

121. olematelot says:

This was a total team effort, I didn’t see anyone out there trying to be the “show”

122. OneTimer says:

some Habs fans in attendance :)

He’s 20 years old.

124. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Is Danny Kristo ineligible for the World Juniors or did he just not make the team?

125. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The genetically modified kids? The Kostityn brothers you mean? Once was enough.

126. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

At least I can take some comfort in the fact that Wednesday night will probably be the last time I’ll ever cheer for Zack Kassian :-)

127. Keith says:

YEEESSSSS!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winning the division in the Preliminary Round and getting the by to the semi-finals is not all that it’s cracked up to be.

129. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Did the stick even hit the mask?!? ugh

130. Keith says:

What a joke call! The Damn Yankee’s stick hit him!

131. joeybarrie says:

WHY ARE THE LEAFS SO BAD?????????????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

132. Keith says:

A two-manner! HO, HO ,HO, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

133. PrimeTime says:

McGuire didn’t relly say “Schenn-sationl”, did he??

134. Habnofear says:

Leblanc looks real good …

135. go.habs.go says:

sweet, sweet revenge… i can feel it…

136. CharlieHodgeFan says:

This canadian team reminds me of our habs, except for the hitting and scoring.

137. HabFanSince72 says:

Fun fact: Canadian keeper Mark Visentin was drafted by the Phoenix Coyotes with the pick they got from the Habs, in exchange for the pick we used to get Tinordi.

138. JIMVINNY says:

that was a great save, but wow.  Couturier had a ton of net to shoot at, and just shot it right into his pad.

139. PrimeTime says:

I can’t believe that Habs management hasn’t the rights to all these kids……fail ;). And where are all the genetically engineered young  players they should be developing at Brossard??….another fail;)

140. Keith says:

The US goalie is the only one on their team keeping them in it.

141. Kooch7800 says:

This is by far the best hockey I have seen since the Olympics!

142. kempie says:

WTH? I thought I was missing a good game being sick in bed. So I get up to check in and it’s 3-0 at the halfway point and all I see is a shooting gallery of epic proportions. Are we that good? What’s up?

143. Kooch7800 says:

you missed the first period, huge hits and Canada just outworking the US.  Awesome hockey

144. PrimeTime says:

It’s a real good game despite the score but CAN has been physically great. USA can’t get it going.

145. Propwash says:

This has gotta be some of the best hockey I’ve seen in awhile.

146. Exit716 says:

LMAO, McGuire says it’s a chintzy call. Man. Has he missed most of the NHL games this season?

147. Keith says:

Get out of the sick bed. I’m running a fever and I wouldn’t miss this unless I was 6 feet under!

148. PrimeTime says:

McGuire only says and emphasizes things his audience wants to hear. If he was broadcasting on NBC you would hear a completley different “story”.

Hey everybody. If you want to mute McGuire you need digital 5.1 audio. If have it just mute the middle speaker. Voila. No commentary. It works for TSN, RDS and CBC.

One more period to go.  Dump it in and forecheck them to death while hitting everything that moves.

Pounce on a turnover and the game is over.

151. habs001 says:

the canadian goalie handles the puck well and so far has made the right decisions with the puck…price has all the tools and skills to handle the puck but many times it is an adventure with him…not sure is it because he is not dedicated to practice it enough or his d and forwards are not that skilled but his puck handling adventure has continued from all of last year…again is it a dedication issue as this should have been solved by now

152. Keith says:

Absolutely great F***ing hockey being played by Team Canada. Wish Couturier could have put a fourth one by him though.

153. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Not trying to jinx our boys, but I honestly did not expect a shutout this far into the game

154. JIMVINNY says:

PM gooing about Leblanc’s back-check.

155. Propwash says:

This is what NHL hockey should look like!

156. Maksimir says:

Maggie is the best!

157. habsfaninboston says:

Nice going.

158. PrimeTime says:

NHL playoff hockey is as good between 2 skilled good teams.

159. Keith says:

Ref must be a US fan.

160. Everlasting1 says:

He must be U20 too lol that highsticking call on Canada when it was a US defender’s stick that bashed his own goalie on the head. But no harm no foul.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

161. ooder says:

omg the russia sweden game was soooo gooooood!!!

russia, despite being exhausted gave the extyra push to tie up the game with a 1 minute and a half left and won..

awesome!

and finally they have a goalie..

lets do it

canada vs russia!

——————

88 is the new 23

162. SeriousFan09 says:

It will be quite the show, Canada-Russia Hockey is always iconic.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

How long until the play-offs get decided by 4 on 4 hockey of and shoot-outs? Can you imagine that? The SCF settled by a shoot-out!!!! In 100 years they can talk about the old days, where there were play-off games that lasted three days long and the winning goal was scored by a guy who had a broken ankle and the assist came from a guy who had two broken shoulders. The good old days.

164. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

oh MAN that was pretty!

165. HabFanSince72 says:

Gooooool!

Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol!

GOLAZZO!

166. Keith says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! BEAUTY GOAL CANADA!!!

167. PrimeTime says:

Wat da go, Boys…Keep it up!!!

168. OneTimer says:

nice goal yo!

169. OneTimer says:

hahahaha, also, listen to Pierre try so hard to fit all those junior team references in there…lord what a donkey!

170. temekuhabs says:

Man, Canada is really laying on the body

Smart move by Canada to put Eakin up on the first line.

Not to mention that we’re getting solid goaltedning.

Another period of relentless hitting and lots of piss & vinegar will help to break the Americans’ spirit.

172. Duke_Rauol says:

Tinordi didnt make the American team?

173. HabFanSince72 says:

More worryingly, neither did Kristo.

174. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Harsh words from Lehner about the missed icing call in the first game, but if the refs actually did scream “ICING” then he has every reason to be pissed

175. Barts says:

He can be pissed all he wants, but how about showing some class.

176. JIMVINNY says:

That’s ridiculous.  US guy hits his own goalie, penalty to Canada.

177. JIMVINNY says:

19 years old, just had his heart ripped out by a terrible decision, being interviewed in a language he didn’t grow up with.  YOU try showing some class in a situation like that.  Only you’ll never be in a situation like that.

178. JIMVINNY says:

Kristo’s too old anyways.

179. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s pretty hard to make the Under-20 Championships when you’re 20 I hear.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Just great hockey.

181. OneTimer says:

Nice moves, who’s no. 25, Cizikas?

182. Bill says:

What a play by Ashton. He is gonna be good.

Full Breezer 4 Life

183. NoTinFoilCups says:

I guess I’m old school, always like to see the final against the Russians. It’s like replaying ’72 all over again.

We sure put the Americans in their place and good riddance to the cocky Swedes, we would have crushed them too.

184. Julie H says:

Agreed. This game is going to be epic.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

185. 123456 says:

crushed the swedes like canada did the first time they played?

186. D Alcorn says:

So, Team Sweden getting ready to compete for bronze at the WJC.  Fingers crossed that the US Team will compete at a level more in keeping with the Swedish head coach’s lofty standards.

Moral of the story : careful what you ask for boys because, sometimes, you get it – and then some :-)

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

187. avatar_58 says:

Goaltending is going to be the biggest issue.

188. thorandresson says:

who’s starting for Canada? Vizantin?

I don’t have a good feeling about this one. Images of #6 on D give me nightmares.

190. avatar_58 says:

Oh my, tied up in the dying minutes

Holy crap… russians tied it with just over a minute to go… Woo!!!

192. kempie says:

I got some nasty stomach flu going on here and, right or wrong, I’m blaming you.

I realize he took a really stupid penalty, but you just have to love Dimtri Orlov.  What a great Dman.  He was taken 55th by Washington in the 2009 draft.

Montreal didn’t have a 2nd round pick that year due to their philosophy of trading them away for quick fixes.

194. samTHEman says:

Go Sweden! The 2nd Russian goal shouldn’t have counted. Karma :) And I really like Patrik Cehlin and Larson. Sweden plays a more complete game than the Russians, they’ll bring a better and more intense final than the Russians who are known to choooke

Montreal had three options in 2009 when they made their first round selection: Louis Leblanc, Jacob Joefson and Chris Kreider, the American.

It will certainly be interesting to see Kreider and Leblanc go head to head tonight.  Kreider has got a great set of wheels.

196. Hockey Socks says:

I met Kreider on the night of the draft. He told me that he met extensively with Bob and Trevor and he knew he was on their radar big time. In the end, he was just happy to be drafted, but it would’ve been exciting to join the Habs.

Ok. Let’s go, Russkies!!!

198. samTHEman says:

Very true. But you really never know. At any given time a goalie can come up big. It’s a big shame that after all the work these young players have put, guys who have SO MUCH to prove, guys trying to jumpstart their career and make an impression, after all that the fate of the game is decided in a lame shootout…makes no sense. Hockey is a team sport. A shootout absolutely DOES NOT REPRESENT the better team. Let these guys play it out! Fatigue factor is not a huge issue. They’re playing a 6 game tournament, not a potentially 24 game long NHL playoff and so even if it goes to triple overtime, it’s not an excuse to use a shootout. The shootout is one of the worst things that’s happened to the hockey IMO. Get rid of it ffs….

199. samTHEman says:

golubev…the next semin…ok maybe not lol…well u never know

can he flap his hands in a fight like Semin?

you’re welcome.

The Habs just had to take Leblanc who was a solid choice at that spot in the draft even if he wasn’t French Canadien.

If Leblanc wasn’t available, Kreider would have been a hell of a choice.  A little more iffy than Leblanc but lots more chance of being an eventual homerun.

203. ooder says:

except for the olympics lol

that was umm less then iconic i would say..

but its nice to see russia has some drive and a goalie… haven’t seen that in quite a while

——————