The team takes shape

Top UFA forwards – Scott Burnside

Savard in play

Rumour roundup

And a video display of Pouliot Passion

f_zTostzXWc

1. Chris says:

I guess my point was lost.

Many English soccer fans DO bemoan that there aren’t more local players on their teams, even while their teams are fighting for the championships.  This view becomes even more vocal during international games when those fans watch their teams struggle because of a lack of international calibre depth (and some strange inability for their few stars to play together, but that is another story).

So the two topics are linked.  I’m sure that the fans don’t care when their teams are lifting trophies, but it is a topic of conversation that comes up frequently the rest of the time.

As for my other point, I was trying to point out to you that you don’t need to cite your time in England every time we discuss something.  It doesn’t give you any more credibility…I am quite willing to read your post and agree or disagree with you based on the merits of your points.  The whole “I lived in England” thing just reminds me too much of kids who used the “My parent is a doctor” as giving them instant credibility when talking about medical issues.  It didn’t work on me then, and it doesn’t work on me now.  😉

2. pic1983 says:

Ive just learnt to ignore them, they’re idiots, and this story is getting old.  Its also irresponsible reporting.  All they have to do is look around the league and count just how many quebec born players even have permanent spots at the nhl level.  Id be hard pressed to say that out of 600 roster players (18 skaters + 2 goalies) that theres even 30 quebec born players.  Someone please correct me if Im WAY off base here.

3. Storm Man says:

Did you forget what you said in your post? You were taking about fans in England crying about Teams like Arsenal saying they are upset about having very few players born in England on the team. I told you it was more about the press making it a matter then the fans of English premier teams. Now your chatting about the England team losing at the world cup. As for experiences in soccer I do play and played when I was in England and have many English friends I still visit and keep in touch with, plus family members. I think the guy who cleans my golf clubs at the club im a member at has some very valid points about English soccer also but he is 17. :)

4. pic1983 says:

An if we cant sign him early to an extension or if he wants too much money, we should shop him.  The return could be immense.

I love Markov, but this is a business afterall, and with the right deal, the short-term loss would certainly be mitigated by the long-term gain.

5. pic1983 says:

Location had a tremedous amount to do with it.  Its not exactly easy to get to the big O.  Its a lot of travel, and the heart of the city isnt close by.  Its essentially in the middle of a residential area.  There arent top restaurants and night life close by to walk to after. The big O is also very impersonal as a sports venue.

6. pic1983 says:

yeah, lowballing your newly annointed starter is a great way to get him to want to give his all for your team…

glad youre not my boss, and certainly glad you arent GM of the canadiens.

7. jbroderi says:

hahaha, more like some kind of mental illness!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

8. Storm Man says:

Not in Alberta. They care about the price of oil and when to book a tee time.

9. jbroderi says:

And that’s why you’re on here posting and not the Gm of les Canadiens.  The only way that your idea works out is that if Price flops, it’s not much money.  Management, agree with it or not, has already given Price a little room to grow into the role of number 1, so they at least expect he’ll be adequate.  If he plays well, next year we’d have to give him decent money to keep him, with the offer sheets coming in.  Sign him now for 4 to 5 years at 1.5 to 2 million dollars and let the chips lie where they may.  At 1.5 million, he is tradeable, and if he plays well, he’s a steal.  We have to live with him, so let’s give him a chance before we just condemn him to the gallows!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

10. Omit says:

Price is gutless and heartless??

Congratulations!  You have just reached the bottom of the barrel.

11. JIMVINNY says:

You can’t sign a guy coming off of his entry level contract to an incentive based contract.  Only entry level players and over 35 players are eligible to receive a contract containing bonuses.  Although heaven only knows why I’m trying to be rational with you.  The rest of your post proves you don’t have a rational bone in your body.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

But I thought according to RDS only drafting out of the Q would cure cancer!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. andrewberkshire says:

He’s a fast healer, many people thought he would miss the whole season last year.

14. notbigbird says:

I wonder if Alberta or BC goes through the same angst. I know Ontario doeasn’t.

15. KenD29 says:

Thx. Let’s hope he is right. 3 months after major knee surgery seems a little quick.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

16. KenD29 says:

time will tell.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

17. KenD29 says:

Partially correct. The Habs have and always be supported. Impact and Alouettes are being supported here as well. As soon as the Als left the cement bowl (Big O), people came to watch. Why? Outdoor stadium and downtown!! Location.

As soon as Loria bought the Expos because no one local wnated to buy the team, it was then downhill! Promised an outdoor stadium downtown and never delivered. Well documented that his “real” intention was to move the team from day 1.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

18. HABZ24 says:

the only thing price has proven is that he’s not consistant and he cant handle the nhl pressure . price shouldnt have been in mtl he should have been traded over a year ago but now the geniuses upstairs trade our saviour halak because of cap issues and now were stuck with that gutless heartless price. if we have to sign price the price better be low. id sign him at less than one mill for one year one way contract, if price proves himself and plays well he can get bonuses.

19. Chris says:

Tell that to the English fans after watching their team crash out of the World Cup yet again.

England is widely perceived as a soccer power, yet haven’t been beyond the quarterfinals in a major tournament in years.  There are some serious issues in English football, and it isn’t just the usual media angle.

By the way, you’ve now twice used the fact that you lived in London for 5 years as some sort of leverage in a discussion about soccer.  Perhaps it should carry additional weight, but having followed soccer for years and playing with a group of passionate English soccer fans twice a week for the last 10 years, you will hopefully understand if I don’t consider your experiences any more valid than my own.  :)

20. Mikey_39 says:

We can speculate all we want about that, but it was confirmed that he was one of the people Gainey said would not be getting a new contract.  Either way, I miss the guy.  While it didn’t take long for me to love the new team, I still miss  parts of the old one!

21. KenD29 says:

Throws checks?! This is AK46 we’re talking about right?! I recall 1 check during the playoffs!

And I do not recall him ever driving anywhere remotely close to the blue paint!! Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

At $3.25 mill, 15 goals over 60 games, please !!! This money could be better spent!!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

22. Chris says:

It is not Man U’s fault.  But turn it around…

Right now, when you look at English soccer, there is a complete void of young talent.  The Germans have some exciting youngsters.  So do the Portugese, no mean feat given that their own “Golden Generation” led by Luis Figo just retired a few years ago.  The Spanish have a nice mix of young and old.  So do Brazil, Argentina, Holland and most of the other world soccer powers.

A lot of people point at the Premier League’s best teams paying for the best international talent at the expense of home-grown players as contributing to the lack of development of young stars in English football.  That the top teams are fully driven by profit and winning instead of local development is sad…Man U’s revival was not borne via a Real Madrid “Galacticos” like philosophy.  It was borne via the discovery and patient nurturing of a great group of domestic U.K./Irish players:  Scholes, Giggs, Keane, Beckham and Neville all came up through the youth ranks together and starred together with the Red Devils.

I don’t necessarily buy the entire argument, but I think there is some merit in the discussion.  So turn it around…why is a province that at one time produced so many elite hockey players suddenly being labelled as a joke by many hockey fans?

Why is there a perception (whether it is real or not is another discussion) that comparatively few Quebec kids excel in hockey?  I think part of it is that Quebec is admirably not solely addicted to hockey the way the rest of Canada is.  The “amateur” (or Olympic) sports are often dominated by Quebec athletes on the Canadian scene.  So maybe there is just more competition in the province for the best young athletes.

But maybe part of it IS the fact that there haven’t been any homegrown stars to cheer for in a long while.  I don’t know the answers.  And while I do shudder a bit when the language/culture debate rears its ugly head in sports, for it often carries some nationalistic if not overt xenophobic overtones, I think there is room for a reasonable discussion about what could be done to encourage Quebecois hockey players.

23. andrewberkshire says:

Pretty sure Koivu wanted to leave.

24. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed, that’s a much better priority.

25. Mikey_39 says:

Pretty sure we already did that to Koivu…

26. HFX-HabFan says:

Well said.  The fans gave up on the Expos.  They have no one to blame but themselves for losing their team.

27. cautiousoptimist says:

One hit with a sledgehammer and it would probably come tumbling down anyway…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  28. SLONCOLD says:

actually u can’t blow it up…. there is a metro line right under it that would be compromised if we did one of those fun blow up things…

kingdeom in seattle… love this:

29. joeybarrie says:

If it was here in Montreal, we would be all yelling at how CLASSLESS our organization is…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. Storm Man says:

I think it is more about the press in England stiring the pot. Fans of English soccer teams care about winning not where the players are born. I understand that fact living in London for 5 years.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Forget the Expos, we’ve been waiting 20 years for modern medical centres at U de M and McGill.

32. SLONCOLD says:

location had very little to do with it. in the 94 season we had 40k people a game. poor marketing and selling all of their best players killed the team. Also montreal is a shitty sports city. We only support hockey or a winning team.

33. Chris says:

No worries…that is an honest oversight that a lot of people have made regarding Julien.

Doesn’t change your point about him having been seen as a very good coach when the Habs hired him.

34. crabvader says:

“Perhaps not…but a lot of English soccer fans DO complain at the lack
    of English born soccer players in the Premier League now. “

SO HOW IS THAT MAN U’S FAULT? It isn’t.

It’s the fact that the country doesn’t produce stars.

Just as it isn’t the Habs’ fault the QMJHL utterly sucks.

35. likehoy says:

how funny is it when someone tries to hit him and they bounce right off of him

36. joeybarrie says:

On the Habs this season should he have played a full season he would have 26 goals and 19 assists for 45 points. Plus his salary was 850k and in 08-09 he had a 850k bonus package set up. SO in the end he got 400k more than a 5% increase (not including the bonus’, but I dont know how that works). BUT, it would have been worse if another team gave him an offer sheet or he didn’t sign and go UFA. How much would we have gotten back for 1.5 million for him. I think he had arbitration rights and if so, I bet he would be about the same.

I think he is worth it. Another good signing by this Management. They did the same with Pleks. Here you go, now prove your worth and you’ll get it. I fully believe one of the biggest reasons Pleks didn’t try out the UFA market is because Gainey signed him to a bigger contract than he was worth knowing he would do better.

If he doesn’t live up to his promise maybe another team will try it with him, and his cap number isnt that high. If it doesnt then its just 1.3 for 1 year. Less than Laraque and he was useless. In fact we did just fine without BGL…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

37. crabvader says:

I knew I should’ve said non-goaltender.

But like I said, VERY good players. Damphousse was the real last French-Canadian superstar to play for this team who wasn’t a goaltender.

Latendresse and Ribeiro reinforce my point, Quebecers can’t handle playing here anymore and management doesn’t like trading away these guys for peanuts to see them tear it up in other teams.

Janne Ninimaa and Benoit Pouliot. I like Pouliot but come on, Ninimaa was horrendous. There is no trade value to be had in a premadonna looking for his free roster spot.

“And when you look at the guys we’ve missed lately (Giroux, Gagne, etc.),
    there are a lot of other guys that could have been excelent picks.”

Sure, but you have to see that 29 other teams zone in on these guys aswell.

We may have passed them up but who wants another Guidoune? You can see why management has removed itself a little from picking French-Canadians. And I say a little because we have a lot of them in our farm system, look at my other post where I name them all. It’s not like we run away in fear. I think this was the first draft in a while where we didn’t draft any.

This is all blown out of proportion and completely stupid.

38. Chris says:

Perhaps not…but a lot of English soccer fans DO complain at the lack of English born soccer players in the Premier League now.  When Arsenal fielded a starting eleven a few years back that did not include a single English soccer player, it made headlines, and not just in the sports pages.

While we like to point out that this is a “Quebec” issue, it really isn’t…there is always some element of a fan base that would like to see more local talent on the team.  Of course we had no shot at Lecavalier or Marc-Andre Fleury.

But it is only natural to wonder how a team based in Quebec seemingly misses on local talents like Simon Gagne (although he was chosen just after Montreal picked his teammate, Eric Chouinard) or Claude Giroux (Montreal chose David Fischer) every year.

The key will be whether there were any NHL-calibre players in the Q this year that Montreal missed on.  If there are, Jarred Tinordi better pan out!  :)

39. krob1000 says:

Woohoo! Maybe they are going to put in a refrigeration system and move the Habs there….and we’ll all actually be able to get tickets!  JK

40. Storm Man says:

I have to say that is the best post I have seen you put on here. Your coming around keep up the good work.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Hell, I bet you could make 300 million lending out sledgehammers, jackhammers, wrecking balls and the like “Want to a knock a piece off of the Big Owe! Special Raffle to push the button on the demolition charges!”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. bwoar says:

He will be a bargain at that number this year.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

I think his production wasn’t that bad following the Sauer hit, Pleks had a terrible 08-09 season as well, I think someone brought up that Andrei’s production really fell apart after the yellow journalist bigots ran the K-brothers are Eastern Mafia story. That messed with his head and since then, it’s been dealing with the drama that is his brother.

I’d be interested to see what happens if Sergei was dropped completely out of here, would Andrei get going again or not. Not saying I’m a huge fan of him or that the 2003 drafting wasn’t a mistake, but I’d like to see what happens. With Sergei Versus the team, it puts Andrei in a lousy situation.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. pic1983 says:

Because players dont give you a good effort if you lowball them.  Players generally arent on bonus structures, and they arent paid commission for every goal they score, hit they dish out, or assist they make.

If we want Pouliot to come out and perform for us this season, we have to show him an act of good faith, which we did.

Same goes for Carey Price, I love all the people here saying we should simply qualify him and give him a 5% increase.  You want your player to be HAPPY.  The best deals are the ones that the team and player are both happy with.

Hey all we need is to wave the magical referendum wand and a have-not province becomes a major player country at the United Nations table. *sarcasm*

It’s never been better in Quebec since Charest took the helm. I only hope that the PQ never get elected again. Small minded imbeciles every one of them.

46. terrygain says:

He’s not been the same since his concussion but the suggestion that he plays on the perimeter is untrue. He still throws harder checks than any other forward, with the exception of Moen. How many scorers are hard checkers?

47. crabvader says:

Lol, same here. The Nordiques really helped this team out politically, if anything.

48. Chris says:

Patrick Roy, Pierre Turgeon, Guy Carbonneau, Eric Desjardins, Stephan Lebeau and Vincent Damphousse were all pretty good guys who played after Stephane Richer, the one mentioned below.

Stephane Quintal was a very serviceable defenceman.  Patrice Brisebois was a good player for a lot of years, but maligned for never quite living up to his potential and #1 defenceman role.

Jury is still out on Guillaume Latendresse.  Mike Ribeiro grew into a good player once he matured.  Jose Theodore won the Vezina/Hart Trophy.

Steve Begin and Mathieu Dandenault were good role players at their peaks.

There is absolutely no reason to shy away from Quebec-born talent.  And when you look at the guys we’ve missed lately (Giroux, Gagne, etc.), there are a lot of other guys that could have been excelent picks.

49. G-Man says:

I’d give $20 bucks to hit it with a sledge hammer and begin its demolition. The Big Owe is a big effing joke on all Montreal and Quebec taxpayers. It should be a landfill site.

50. crabvader says:

Great post.

I agree with helping out the Q, also. What RDS should be doing is reporting about the Q not improving anyone. Guys like Gormley are already studs when they get to play the Q. When do you actually see the Q improve someone, though? Not often. It’s a terrible league where a guy can easily get over 100pts in 50 games and then make the jump to the NHL and never produce again.

The real problem is the QMJHL. They really need to do something about improving their situation.

51. andrewberkshire says:

Damphousse.

52. pic1983 says:

Even if we got a baseball team back, they’d need a new ballpark.  No one wants to drive to the east end to see baseball in montreal.

If only it was “Les Quebecois ignorent-t-il le Canadien?” maybe the Habs would get somewhere. Man I miss the Nordiques if only because they attracted most of Quebec’s separatists and left the Habs to the one’s who have no issue with Canada.

54. TripleX says:

Oh man does that one hurt dude.  Imagine him in an Expos uniform?

Only thing that hurt more is the Hawk wanting to wear a Cubs hat.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

55. Storm Man says:

Tony is ok he is like the water boy on your sports team. I look at some others on here and here no clue if they have eyes and know to think before typing.

56. andrewberkshire says:

Actually he did the surgery in June, and he’s expected back for the start of the season as per Gauthier.

57. kempie says:

Good call.

58. Storm Man says:

Get ready to pay more taxs lol, And people come on here and cry how the Habs are run LMAO.

59. likehoy says:

he does get 20 goals no problem….he had a terrible season  and still had 15 goals in 60 games.

60. SeriousFan09 says:

How about we demolish that eyesore? There have got to be better ways to spend 300 million, do the limited events going on in that dump even cover that amount?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. crabvader says:

What’s the point? Are the Als gonna play there full-time or something?

I want our ‘spos back. They can bring Stephen Strasburg with them, too! 😛

62. SLONCOLD says:

pigeons and monster truck shows need a place in montreal you know…

63. Psycho29 says:

Jerard Hâlak ?

64. crabvader says:

Yup, I agree.

65. SLONCOLD says:

lol the PQ can’t even get fixing pot holes right, imagine them running a country.

66. TripleX says:

The “BIG O” is getting a new 300 million dollar roof. Yikes!

How much is that now for this thing 2 Billion?  The Quebec government could have saved the Expos for 300 million a few times over.

67. crabvader says:

That’s the last guy I can think of aswell.

68. KenD29 says:

At $3.25 mill, he should be producing a heck of allot more!!

Ever since he got taken out in the game against the Coyotes two years ago, he has never been the same.

For a guy with his size and talent, he should be scoring at least 20 goals without any problem. But when you play on the perimeter afraid to get hit…

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

69. crabvader says:

You should take a look up and read Bob Barker’s response. It pretty much sums it up for you.

BTW, I’m born in Lasalle to French-Canadian parents. I don’t have some nazi English agenda, here. I’m just sick of political bullcrap taking place in an area it has no business in.

They aren’t the interests of “English speaking fans” they are the interests of people with at least half a friggin’ brain.

70. Mikey_39 says:

I duno if this was explained or not, but why did they offer Pouliot 1.3 mil when he was an RFA and could have been intelligible for a 5% increase?  Even if it went to arbitration he still would have gotten less no? And they only singed him for one year so I’m wondering what the reasoning behind all this was.  Especially since we’re tight against the cap, there must have been something more to this…

71. Chorske says:

The gist of the report is that Habs management could be using the later rounds to “shore up” the Quebec hockey program by using those (apparently meaningless) later picks to draft Quebec hockey players. But they also dismantle their own arguments by pointing out that the Habs are the team with the second-most Quebecers in their system (after the Flyers). They also argue that no-one in the league takes the Q seriously because the Canadiens don’t.

The whole thing is set to ridiculously dramatic music, too. Muddled message, over the top dramatics: overall, not RDS’ best work ever.

Same thing every year- it’s an annual pity parade. There was moaning and groaning that Brendan Gormley isn’t even a Quebecer (gasp). We had the Gauthier-is-American article, the Habs-ignore-“star”-Quebecers-like-Pouliot (who isn’t even a gorram Quebecer either), and the hand-wringing letter to the Quebec culture minister to improve the QMJHL product (which is actually something I support- the Q sucks arse).

72. cautiousoptimist says:

Erm, Stéphane Richer? Wow.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  73. Gil says:

Easy target yes

Valid argument no.

Correlation does not mean Causation

74. cautiousoptimist says:

It’s not crazy, but I dunno, he had the worst +/- in Edmonton last year, with a brutal -35.  I think I’d rather have Moreau on the third line — he made $1.75M last year, and is certainly not in line for a raise.  He has skills and is a leader, and unless we can nab a Frolov-type instead, I’d take him for $1.5M and put him on a line with Moore and Moen.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  75. G-Man says:

Since when does the French media cater to English speaking fans’ interests? The last time the Habs won, there were 14 Quebecois on it. After all these years of futility, it is an easy target for the French media.