The team takes shape

Top UFA forwards – Scott Burnside

Savard in play

Rumour roundup

And a video display of Pouliot Passion

f_zTostzXWc

1. Max_a_million says:

I think it’s a good idea, but I don’t think Tanguay liked it here.  One of our top 6 will falter or get injured, and it would be great to add a guy like this who can play on one of those lines as long as the price is right.

2. TomNickle says:

If the Habs give Price around $3 million annually on a deal, give Markov an extension in the $6 million per season range and give Gorges around $3 million per season on an extension they’ll still have around $18 million in cap room next summer.

It’s scheduled to be a fairly strong UFA class.

I would say they’re thinking that they can upgrade the roster if Pouliot doesn’t shine this season.

3. twocents says:

If he’s a 20 goal without trying. I guess he hasn’t tried at this level yet. If he hasn’t tried despite being only 23 we have other issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan of Pouliot’s skills and demeanor and I agree about his upside, but those two things are not the only factors in determining success and value.

For the record I think he will succeed, check out my profile, but I don’t have a problem with the contract given the information I have.

4. Mattyleg says:

Eddie, I’m sure that you were as excited as the rest of us when Tanger came along. There is no way that you, me, or even the all-seeing-all-knowing Bob could have known that AT would wilt like an over-watered orchid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. ed lopaz says:

I’d like someone to give me 1.375 million for 1 season, I would ooze confidence!!

Seriously, I am cheering for Pouliot to succeed.

But he’s going to have to grow up sooner or later.

Sometimes its better when the guy feels a little pressure.

They did give him a nice raise afterall.

After the way he played coming down the stretch, he’s probably happy with the contract.

I would be.

6. Gormdog says:

For your average player, no, it’s not uncommon. But Benny is a notorious slacker/headcase, classic scenario with lots of talent but an unwillingness to try. Last year he had his “best” season as a pro, and we were still left scratching our heads most of the time with him. Right now, the “common” storyline for Pouliot is all the talent without the production. I’m not quite sure why you expect to see, and give him appropriate term accordingly, anything else than the attitude and play that led him to be benched during the playoffs. (for the record I like Benny, i just feel with a 2 year deal we could be kicking ourself helfway through the season when he enters cozy mode and stays 10 feet away from the net at all times)

7. ed lopaz says:

I can’t see Tanguay as a fit. It would have to be turned into a Sunday night movie on Bravo.

Tanguay traded here for a 1st and a 2nd rounder

Tanguay is paid over 5 million as a Hab – injured- accused of not playing hurt

Tanguay not re-signed by Gainey last summer

We lose our 1st and 2nd round picks for basically no return – thanks Bob!!

(oops, sorry, I forgot I’m not allowed to criticise Gainey on HIO, are there take backs?)

Tanguay signs with Tampa for a fraction of what we paid him

Tanguay does NOT have a good season with Tampa

Tanguay re-signs with Montreal???

nope.

not happening.

8. Mark C says:

He’ll be a RFA again next off-season.

9. habsfansince91 says:

someone posted yesterday that since we signed pouliot yesterday to a one year contract that he’ll still be a RFA. Can anyone confirm this?

10. TripleX says:

I totally agree Smartdog.  Just another example of the inability of Montreal pro scouting ( namely PG ) to see the nose in front of their face.  It is so obvious that Pouliot is the type of player who regresses under pressure and wilts.  He needs coaches and management to take his hand and support him and give him the confidence he lacks in himself.

So what do they do?  Put immense pressure in him and undermine his confidence with a one year contract.  Why does this franchise always set up it’s young players to fail?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Guimauve? Need I remind everyone Gui was about as nice to MTL in his post-trade interviews as Sergei just was to us in his interview last week? And while I know not many people here are fans of Sergei, I’d argue he got a stiffer shaft playing here than Guimauve did.

Feelings of entitlement and a Kovalev work ethic are not welcome in MTL, goodbye to Tenderness and good riddance.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. derfab says:

One year is smart. He wiil have to play to potential (hard) and produce for any raise and will still be restricted.

13. ed lopaz says:

interesting reading about ben pouliot.

if you want to cheer for this guy to do well, read this.

I think it has been posted here before, but maybe some of you missed it.

14. Jbird says:

I heard he stubbed his toe and can’t get out of bed – so that deal’s off!

15. habsguy says:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL….another good one,  you can keep all the S.K’s you want,  I’ll take the guys who try no matter what the situation!!!!!……damn some people are thick!!!…LOL

16. Jbird says:

Yeah if this ruined your day your life would be misery!  What your talking about kind of reminds me of the steal that Van has with the Alex Burrows contract – although the Canucks might have gotten the discount cause AB is a complete weasel. ;-)

17. Chorske says:

I used to catch Moose games in Halifax, Sea Dogs games in SJ, and I saw the Cats play in Moncton. And I thought the product was pretty entertaining- until I caught a WHL game on TV (can’t remember who was involved). It really opened my eyes to how lame the Q game is. It’s supposed to be fast and offensive-minded but I thought it was kind of sloppy and undisciplined compared to the W. The Q games I saw were better than the Division III NCAA games I saw, but not by an overwhelming margin.

The league is well-organized– the kids are well-taken care of, judging from the billetting standards and so on, and for the most part the teams are well-run and do the right things to create community support– but there is something self-satisfied and smug about the Q, a completely unjustified sense of entitlement among those that run the league itself, particularly Courteau and his cronies.

I would really like to see more emphasis and a higher quality of play among the Canadian college teams. We really don’t have anything like the NCAA here, and that is a problem, because Quebec players face the choice of a) going to the US to pursue sports and education b) staying here and having to choose between the two.

18. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I’d love to see that. Bring back Ribs and Kovy too.

What an unstoppable line of unrealized potential that would make!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

19. bigjames says:

i would take metro before tanguay.

20. SLONCOLD says:

- so the als don’t have a problem selling out an event at the big O come playoff time…

- mcgill stadium is a horrible location to drive to and parking isn’t there.

Montreal supports “events”, winners and hockey. the Impact by the way play right beside the big O

now i’ll give you that the big is ugly inside. i wonder if the attendance would shrink if the habs played their games there…..

21. Mattyleg says:

That’s a good point. A couple of years might give him some confidence where it’s lacking. It’s all speculation, of course, because gad only knows what’s going on in that head of his.

in other news, I disagree that we threw away a great goalscorer in Guigui. We got rid of an under-performing problem player. The fact that he decided to start playing once we got rid of him should have no bearing on who we traded him for.

And talking about confidence, if we want to help Benny along (and we should), the fans and media should stop making comparisons.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

22. cautiousoptimist says:

Anybody else think it might be worth it to offer a 1-year, $1.5M deal to Tanguay, take it or leave it?  He was brutal in Tampa last year, but for Travis Moen-type money, if he pots 15-20 goals, Gauthier looks like a genius.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  23. SmartDog says:

Being pissed off with little information is what this posting board is
    all about!

Hear! Hear!

And to be accurate I said I am “kind of pissed”.  I’m not REALLY pissed, I mean my day is not ruined.  But I think it’s a bad decision – an opportunity missed to lock up a guy who can score 20 goals in his sleep who has a much bigger upside, for cheap.  And in return to show confidence in him which is what he most needs.   Confidence and support.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

24. SmartDog says:

The thing about Benny is that he doesn’t necessarily seem to play well when the sword is dangling…. at least if his playoff performance is any indication.  If anything he seems like the kind of player who needs confidence more than anything.  I would’ve given him 2 years in part because of that, and then try anything I can to get him into a confident frame of mind.  Give him his own freaking coach if he needs one.  The guy has boatloads of talent…. how he’s managed may make a difference between whether we threw away one of the best goal-scorers we’ve developed in a decade or whether we picked up a 4th round guy who’s going to give US 30 goals.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

25. _Habsoloutly_ says:

trading or burying a player in the minors.

26. SLONCOLD says:

hard to get to? it’s 7 minutes away from downtown by metro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Jbird says:

Being pissed off with little information is what this posting board is all about!  ;-) I agree with you.  Even if Benny would take less for a year longer in the term it could not add up to more that 1 a 1/4 million in savings.  Also if he plays like he did at the end of the reg. season and playoffs next year we will all be glad its one year.  If he plays like he did right when he came its a big steal for next year.

28. SmartDog says:

Even at the same price he’s still a bargain.

Pouliot is a 20-goal guy without trying. If he actually gets it going he’s a 35-goal guy

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

29. SmartDog says:

Even at this year’s pace he’s a 20+-goal guy so he’s worth 2.5 mil.  So NOW we could get a 20-goal guy for 1.5.  Seems a no-brainer for me.  There’s even a decent chance he breaks out and scores 30 goals.  So then he costs us what?  3.5?  4.5?   Nice.   Just because he under-performed in the playoffs doens’t mean he sucks.  He did make chances – he was having trouble burying them.  He’s young, that’s not uncommon.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

30. Gormdog says:

If i’m the Canadiens, I don’t give multiple years to a guy who looked like he gave up playing after the All Star Break.

He may have us by the balls if he has a breakout season next year, but isnt that a MUCH better scenario then him looking like he did in the second half of the season and the canadiens on the hook once again for a player nobody wants?

31. Mattyleg says:

I’m glad we’re holding on to Poupou. He’s going to come into this year with something to prove.

I think that SmartDog has a point, but Benny’ll be reminded that we gave him the extra chance when (and if!) it comes round to signing a deal for next season. True, he may ask for more money, but if he really proves himself as worthwhile, we can sign him to a longer contract then, and spread the money out over more years.

I really think he needs the sword dangling over his head (at this stage, at least) to kick him into action. A two-year deal would have him sitting back a bit more comfortably, in my opinion.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. _Habsoloutly_ says:

yes, he meant if they land a UFA they covet, he can create the cap space by moving a player or players.

33. twocents says:

Your conclusion is flawed by the assumption that “They probably could’ve gotten a lower price for him too.”

Perhaps he doesn’t have a two year contract because he asked for a raise in the second year of it which would result in a higher cap hit over the two years.

I just don’t understand being pissed off when you have so little information.

Not to mention it seems like Durocher dropped a crumb and you’re scrambling to pick it up.

Did you not read this part?

“Je suis fort heureux de la tournure des événements, a commenté
    Pouliot lorsqu’on l’a joint au téléphone. Mon agent Philippe Lecavalier
    m’a tenu au courant des négociations lors des derniers jours, et je
    n’étais pas inquiet, même si ce fut plus long que prévu. Je ne m’en
    faisais pas au sujet des rumeurs d’échange qui circulaient lors du
    repêchage à Los Angeles.

«Les dirigeants du Canadien viennent de démontrer qu’ils ont
    confiance en moi en m’accordant cette augmentation salariale malgré les
    difficultés que j’ai connues en fin de saison, a-t-il ajouté. Ce sera à
    moi maintenant de leur prouver qu’ils ont eu raison d’agir ainsi.”

34. Max_a_million says:

I am not pissed, but I wish they had given him two years (or more) at the small of a price.  Heck Even if it cost a little more.

35. habsguy says:

what a stupid thing to say,  LOLOLOL… He played some terrible games  because “but it was for a poor team and he knew he was going to be let go” …..And YOU like him….sorry,  I want someone who will give it all no matter what!!!!!!…..LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL,  I love some of the stupid comments people make here !!!

36. Storm Man says:

Chris you gain credibility on topics when you have been someplace and have a understanding on what goes on and you see it with your own eyes not from what you read in the papers or what some soccer pals tell you in some beer league. I dont know what your parents told you how to findout things in life, Mine told me to experience things for myself, not what others tell me or what I read in papers.;)

37. SmartDog says:

I’m kind of pissed.

In Durocher’s article on Pouliot he quotes Pouliot as saying he wished he had a 2-year contract.  Why the F? would they not give him a 2-year deal?  For the amount of money he’s making the risk is small.  They probably could’ve gotten a lower price for him too.

So instead, the deal is “prove yourself and then YOU can be in a better situation to force us to give you more money next year.  You don’t have us by the balls this year – but let us help you get there.

To win in the NHL today you have to gamble a little on guys that will improve through a contract.  What pisses me off about this is we have all these long contracts which are really risky and hard to get away from.  But when it comes to a low-risk, high-reward contract situation the Habs are cautious.  I can’t see this as anything but stupid.  I really can’t.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

38. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Don’t be so sure Gauthier won’t try to make a big splash in the free-agent market,  he was just quoted at the draft saying:

“There’s always movement you can create if you don’t have the money.”

I think he will throw a few offers out hoping for a bite from a UFA he covets.

39. Chris says:

I guess my point was lost.

Many English soccer fans DO bemoan that there aren’t more local players on their teams, even while their teams are fighting for the championships.  This view becomes even more vocal during international games when those fans watch their teams struggle because of a lack of international calibre depth (and some strange inability for their few stars to play together, but that is another story).

So the two topics are linked.  I’m sure that the fans don’t care when their teams are lifting trophies, but it is a topic of conversation that comes up frequently the rest of the time.

As for my other point, I was trying to point out to you that you don’t need to cite your time in England every time we discuss something.  It doesn’t give you any more credibility…I am quite willing to read your post and agree or disagree with you based on the merits of your points.  The whole “I lived in England” thing just reminds me too much of kids who used the “My parent is a doctor” as giving them instant credibility when talking about medical issues.  It didn’t work on me then, and it doesn’t work on me now.  ;)

40. G-Man says:

Turco isn’t worth a dime anymore. Hasn’t played well for a looooong time.

41. Mr_MacDougall says:

yeah, we need someone that will punish everyone from Theo Fleury to Chara.. size doent matter, no code, just what you do to our team… cross the line, you’re bloody!

42. Mr_MacDougall says:

Can Pts Afford Armstrong? or is he taking a discount? That kinda sucks b/c I like him.. not the greatest hands, but a relentless forechecker

43. arcosenate says:

I wonder how much BGL made that night?

He certainly didn’t earn it.

We went on to lose that game after taking a 2-0 lead. Rangers started to goon it up and our resident $1.5 million dollar “enforcer” sat on his hands.

That was the last straw wasn’t it? Pouliot had to do the fighting and Gainey had enough. BGL actually scored in the next game against Dallas and was let go shortly thereafter?

That’s my memory of that debacle.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Lombardi as a centre will command 4 million or better on this weak FA market and is missing sizw, Afinogenov is enigmatic and will be looking to seriously upgrade his pay but likely stay with ATL and he isn’t physical either. Armstrong is perhaps open but a few teams will be bidding on him and 3 million + for 15G a year is asking a lot.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

45. Mr_MacDougall says:

Tony we all know you would love to be the meat in a Gainey Gautier cuddle sandwich.. this is all an elaborate cover-up

46. pic1983 says:

Ive just learnt to ignore them, they’re idiots, and this story is getting old.  Its also irresponsible reporting.  All they have to do is look around the league and count just how many quebec born players even have permanent spots at the nhl level.  Id be hard pressed to say that out of 600 roster players (18 skaters + 2 goalies) that theres even 30 quebec born players.  Someone please correct me if Im WAY off base here.

47. Storm Man says:

Did you forget what you said in your post? You were taking about fans in England crying about Teams like Arsenal saying they are upset about having very few players born in England on the team. I told you it was more about the press making it a matter then the fans of English premier teams. Now your chatting about the England team losing at the world cup. As for experiences in soccer I do play and played when I was in England and have many English friends I still visit and keep in touch with, plus family members. I think the guy who cleans my golf clubs at the club im a member at has some very valid points about English soccer also but he is 17. :)

48. Mr_MacDougall says:

Hey, we got our BIG TOUGH WINGER… Benouit POOOOOOOOuliot!!!!

seriously though.. hope we replace Metro with some size….

Back-up goalie.. looks like Turco is going to go cheap… Philly only offered him 2mill per season.. i’d give him 3.5!

49. pic1983 says:

An if we cant sign him early to an extension or if he wants too much money, we should shop him.  The return could be immense.

I love Markov, but this is a business afterall, and with the right deal, the short-term loss would certainly be mitigated by the long-term gain.

50. Chris says:

Since we’re in the mood for handing out advice, here is mine to you:  stop assuming you know so much about other people’s experiences and/or character.  Because you really have absolutely no clue at all about my life, nor should you….I refuse to share anything that might identify me on anonymous websites like this, for both personal and professional reasons.

But perhaps you can explain something to me…you are chastising me for using my English friends as evidence that some English soccer fans do care about the lack of English-born soccer players on their favourite teams.  Yet your “life experience” in England is more important.  Why?  I am pretty certain you are not English…therefore I can only conclude that your “life experience” served only to allow you to interact with a bunch of English soccer fans.

Both of us are doing the same thing…citing our life experiences in dealing with English soccer fans as evidence.  That your English fans were in England and my English fans happen to be in Canada for a couple of years doesn’t really change the fact that we are both using the thoughts and sentiments of our friends or contacts to make our respective points.

You should try a little more critical thinking when talking about topics that you’re not too sure about.

51. pic1983 says:

Location had a tremedous amount to do with it.  Its not exactly easy to get to the big O.  Its a lot of travel, and the heart of the city isnt close by.  Its essentially in the middle of a residential area.  There arent top restaurants and night life close by to walk to after. The big O is also very impersonal as a sports venue.

52. pic1983 says:

yeah, lowballing your newly annointed starter is a great way to get him to want to give his all for your team…

glad youre not my boss, and certainly glad you arent GM of the canadiens.

53. jbroderi says:

hahaha, more like some kind of mental illness!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

54. Storm Man says:

Not in Alberta. They care about the price of oil and when to book a tee time.

55. jbroderi says:

And that’s why you’re on here posting and not the Gm of les Canadiens.  The only way that your idea works out is that if Price flops, it’s not much money.  Management, agree with it or not, has already given Price a little room to grow into the role of number 1, so they at least expect he’ll be adequate.  If he plays well, next year we’d have to give him decent money to keep him, with the offer sheets coming in.  Sign him now for 4 to 5 years at 1.5 to 2 million dollars and let the chips lie where they may.  At 1.5 million, he is tradeable, and if he plays well, he’s a steal.  We have to live with him, so let’s give him a chance before we just condemn him to the gallows!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

56. Omit says:

Price is gutless and heartless??

Congratulations!  You have just reached the bottom of the barrel.

57. JIMVINNY says:

You can’t sign a guy coming off of his entry level contract to an incentive based contract.  Only entry level players and over 35 players are eligible to receive a contract containing bonuses.  Although heaven only knows why I’m trying to be rational with you.  The rest of your post proves you don’t have a rational bone in your body.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

But I thought according to RDS only drafting out of the Q would cure cancer!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. andrewberkshire says:

He’s a fast healer, many people thought he would miss the whole season last year.

60. notbigbird says:

I wonder if Alberta or BC goes through the same angst. I know Ontario doeasn’t.

61. KenD29 says:

Thx. Let’s hope he is right. 3 months after major knee surgery seems a little quick.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

62. KenD29 says:

time will tell.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

63. KenD29 says:

Partially correct. The Habs have and always be supported. Impact and Alouettes are being supported here as well. As soon as the Als left the cement bowl (Big O), people came to watch. Why? Outdoor stadium and downtown!! Location.

As soon as Loria bought the Expos because no one local wnated to buy the team, it was then downhill! Promised an outdoor stadium downtown and never delivered. Well documented that his “real” intention was to move the team from day 1.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

64. HABZ24 says:

the only thing price has proven is that he’s not consistant and he cant handle the nhl pressure . price shouldnt have been in mtl he should have been traded over a year ago but now the geniuses upstairs trade our saviour halak because of cap issues and now were stuck with that gutless heartless price. if we have to sign price the price better be low. id sign him at less than one mill for one year one way contract, if price proves himself and plays well he can get bonuses.

65. Chris says:

Tell that to the English fans after watching their team crash out of the World Cup yet again.

England is widely perceived as a soccer power, yet haven’t been beyond the quarterfinals in a major tournament in years.  There are some serious issues in English football, and it isn’t just the usual media angle.

By the way, you’ve now twice used the fact that you lived in London for 5 years as some sort of leverage in a discussion about soccer.  Perhaps it should carry additional weight, but having followed soccer for years and playing with a group of passionate English soccer fans twice a week for the last 10 years, you will hopefully understand if I don’t consider your experiences any more valid than my own.  :)

66. Mikey_39 says:

We can speculate all we want about that, but it was confirmed that he was one of the people Gainey said would not be getting a new contract.  Either way, I miss the guy.  While it didn’t take long for me to love the new team, I still miss  parts of the old one!

67. KenD29 says:

Throws checks?! This is AK46 we’re talking about right?! I recall 1 check during the playoffs!

And I do not recall him ever driving anywhere remotely close to the blue paint!! Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

At $3.25 mill, 15 goals over 60 games, please !!! This money could be better spent!!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

68. Chris says:

It is not Man U’s fault.  But turn it around…

Right now, when you look at English soccer, there is a complete void of young talent.  The Germans have some exciting youngsters.  So do the Portugese, no mean feat given that their own “Golden Generation” led by Luis Figo just retired a few years ago.  The Spanish have a nice mix of young and old.  So do Brazil, Argentina, Holland and most of the other world soccer powers.

A lot of people point at the Premier League’s best teams paying for the best international talent at the expense of home-grown players as contributing to the lack of development of young stars in English football.  That the top teams are fully driven by profit and winning instead of local development is sad…Man U’s revival was not borne via a Real Madrid “Galacticos” like philosophy.  It was borne via the discovery and patient nurturing of a great group of domestic U.K./Irish players:  Scholes, Giggs, Keane, Beckham and Neville all came up through the youth ranks together and starred together with the Red Devils.

I don’t necessarily buy the entire argument, but I think there is some merit in the discussion.  So turn it around…why is a province that at one time produced so many elite hockey players suddenly being labelled as a joke by many hockey fans?

Why is there a perception (whether it is real or not is another discussion) that comparatively few Quebec kids excel in hockey?  I think part of it is that Quebec is admirably not solely addicted to hockey the way the rest of Canada is.  The “amateur” (or Olympic) sports are often dominated by Quebec athletes on the Canadian scene.  So maybe there is just more competition in the province for the best young athletes.

But maybe part of it IS the fact that there haven’t been any homegrown stars to cheer for in a long while.  I don’t know the answers.  And while I do shudder a bit when the language/culture debate rears its ugly head in sports, for it often carries some nationalistic if not overt xenophobic overtones, I think there is room for a reasonable discussion about what could be done to encourage Quebecois hockey players.

69. andrewberkshire says:

Pretty sure Koivu wanted to leave.

70. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed, that’s a much better priority.

71. Mikey_39 says:

Pretty sure we already did that to Koivu…

72. HFX-HabFan says:

Well said.  The fans gave up on the Expos.  They have no one to blame but themselves for losing their team.

73. cautiousoptimist says:

One hit with a sledgehammer and it would probably come tumbling down anyway…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  74. SLONCOLD says:

actually u can’t blow it up…. there is a metro line right under it that would be compromised if we did one of those fun blow up things…

kingdeom in seattle… love this:

75. joeybarrie says:

If it was here in Montreal, we would be all yelling at how CLASSLESS our organization is…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…