The second coming of Kovy?

alex-galchenyuk-sarnia-sting

Alex Galchenyuk – the Canadiens first-round choice, third overall, in the draft last week – is wearing number 27 at the team’s development camp, which begins Thursday at the training complex in Brossard.
Top second-round (33rd overall) choice Sebastian Collberg, a slick Swedish forward, will wear number 47.
Rugged defenceman Dalton Thrower, 51st overall in the draft’s second round, will wear 59.
Jaro Halak’s 41 will be worn by goaltender Étienne Marcoux, who’s in camp on a tryout.

AUDIO: Alex Galchenyuk | Sebastian Collberg | Dalton Thrower

Galchenyuk was the focus of attention for the midday media opportunity, which drew hordes slightly less numerous than what the big team faces during the regular season.

The kid is very well-spoken, handling all the questions with aplomb.

Galchenyuk has piercing blue-gray eyes and wears his light brown hair in a buzz-cut. He was wearing a dark gray Lacoste polo, blue khaki shorts and stylish black Converse sneakers, without laces.

His nickname, at least among the other prospects: “Gally”.

When asked if he thought he had a shot at making the big club, Galchenyuk said “it’s a long summer” leading up to camp. He plans to fill it by working out at home in Sarnia, concxentrating on skating and speed of execution.

Galchenyuk has posted to Twitter in French, but admitted fellow draftee Charles Hudon wrote it for him. But he plans to gain fluency.

“French doesn’t seem too hard for me,” Galchenyuk said, “and I know the fans appreciate it.”

Galchenyuk last spoke French nine years ago, when his father’s nomadic hockey career took the family to Switzerland. Born in Milwaukee, Galchenyuk has also lived in Italy for four years and Russia for six before moving to Chicago at 15.

“my father worked hard to get me where I am right now,” Galchenyuk said. “I can’t thanks him enough for what I am as a person and a player.”

He said the topics on which he’s questioned most frequently – by the media and by the teams that interviewed him prior to the draft – are his surgically repaired knee and the KHL. Galchenyuk finds the latter queries most irritating.

“I’ve wanted to play in the NHL since I was a year old,” he said. “I’ve never wanted to play in Russia.”

• Marcoux plays junior in Blainville-Boisbriand of the Q. He was 28-9-3 with a 2.71 GAA and a .912 save percentage.

• Jimmy Oligny, another tryout invitee, plays for P.E.I. in the Q and had 165 PiM – a lot of  time in the box for a 5’11″, 180-lb forward.

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

From Dave Stubb’s Twitter: ‘Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Let’s strengthen that: Larry Robinson is not in contention for a #Habs coaching or consultant’s job

8h Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Larry Robinson’s coaching services are highly coveted by several NHL teams. Do not expect #Habs to be part of any bidding war’

…I have no reason to doubt Dave Stubbs, He, to Me, is currently (now that Red has retired) the most honest and reliable English-language sports journalist covering the Canadiens

…but, would really like to know how He is so certain to make that absolute statement on Larry’s intent

…again, not in any way doubting Dave’s reporting …yet, hoping (to the extent of lighting candles) every syllable is cockamamie :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

2. The Gonk says:

RE Euro, must say the 2nd goal by Balotelli was impressive. The celebration not so much (but understandable in a Terrell Owens kind of way)

3. habsfanforever7631 says:

What’s up with all this Subban trade talk?
    Come on guys nothing else to talk about?
    People always say, “I heard it here.” “I heard it there.” “This person said it”
    Name the dam person!
    Subban’s not being traded, unless Bergevin’s a liar, in every interview he is asked about Subban, he doesn’t say, “I don’t want to talk about it.” He says “no.”
    Subban, Price, Pacioretty = our future, nuff said.

• rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

i think we got ourselves another bot, boys.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

what???

• rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

btw. forgot to introduce myself. Officer Watermelon. First name mamacat. Board enforcer. Rules are my own. but…
        unfortunately, I have no abilities whatsoever with the Force. The emperor took an interest in me anyways. When he offered me limitless power in exchange for my allegiance, I fought the urge to join him and his evil minions and rejected his offer.

so you’ll understand why i don’t change the world here tonight. i have no powers.

4. rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

the interesting thing about [trolls] is that we ‘re all [trolls].
    i think maybe we just choose to feed the ones that repeat each other, saying things about bad moves or other sentiments on the world of our beloved sports organization.

we could be feeders. Feeding all sorts of natural cycles.

• rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

i think the polite thing to do, would be to share my thoughts of the moment on the habs. Habs being, after all, what most of us come here to do! boo! (that’s a homemade joke on the -do!- with exclamation. totally un-necessary.. but then i wouldn’t have been able to torture you with this parenthesis. ahhh, no! torture myself! :Sss(( I want you off the wall if you’re playing the wall!)

right, Habs. Marc Bergevin. I could believe that he’d be excited about this job, and wants high honours. Motivated. Human internal processes, and such. Call it what you will. Nathieur.

bah.. not tonight, boys.. not tonight..

5. The Gonk says:

From our own ufas I hope Moen and Stabutiz get signed. Considering who has been let go we’ll need pieces on the 3rd and 4th lines. A top 6 winger needed too. At least one veteran steady d is needed. Lots of holes. So do we bother or just let it ride with these knowing the result is a repeat of last year? Quality picks for another year or a conscious leap toward stability? I think its worth sucking for another year and move some players who will have a market in 2013.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

If possible keep PFN (petteri Fuc|<ing Nokialainin) as a 13th forward.

sign Allen/Brookbank/Jackman and Aaron Asham or Paul Gaustad for the fourth line re sign staubitz and moen.

• Bill says:

I’d be all for another top three pick next year, unfortunately, I think this year was an aberration.

Guys like Gionta, Price, Subban, Markov, Gorges, Cole, and others have too much pride to get a similar result this year.

Habs will finish 6th-10th.

EDIT: when I said “unfortunately”, I didn’t really mean it .. obviously I am glad if last year turns out to be an aberration :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

I got what you mean. I’d hate to land 9th or 10th, I’d want a firesale at the deadline if we were just hovering there. A shot at Seth Jones is too good to pass up.

• The Gonk says:

We’ll find out soon what MB foresees. Sign no one and leave as is and see what results. Or else upgrade where feasible and see an immediate improvement next year. He’ll do the later, but I would be inclined to resist that. 2013-14 will be a good year for us. Don’t rush and let Timmins do his thing. It’ll pay off.

6. Un Canadien errant says:

Lots of angst on social media on Justin Schultz and how unfair it is that he can choose the team he plays for rather than go to the team that drafted him, and I suspect all the guys who were drafted by the New York Islanders last week agree with this sentiment. Why does he get to use this loophole and others don’t?

There are many facets to this issue. One of the main ones is that as fans, we have now come to accept and maybe even revere the universal draft as a just and immutable way to distribute talent throughout sports leagues, to help competitive balance, and as an annual tradition that promises better days ahead.

Yet the NHL draft has a more complex history. Before it existed, the Original 6 teams had farm systems that included junior teams and pro teams. Players were scouted as young teenagers and signed to contracts before they reached adulthood. Once they signed, the player belonged to that team until traded or released, for their entire career. Society being what it was, the modest sums offered as signing bonuses seemed astronomical to well-meaning parents unprepared to negotiate, and the chance to play in the NHL was too much to resist.

Now some players were the subjects of bidding wars as early as twelve or thirteen years old. Player agents began to enter the fray, notably Alan Eagleson with Bobby Orr, and all of a sudden, monopolistic owners began to frown at having to pay more than a pittance for a player’s rights. This is how the NHL draft morphed from one to claim all players who hadn’t yet been signed by NHL teams by the time they turned 20 to a universal draft. Now teams didn’t have to bid against each other for phenoms.

Meanwhile, courts began to strike down the ‘reserve clause’ that bound players in all major sports to their teams for their entire careers, which was seen as unfairly restrictive and monopolistic. Player unions and owners began to negotiate collective agreements that tried to allow for competitive balance yet allow some freedom of movement for players.

In this way, it has evolved that a player who is drafted yet cannot come to terms with the team which drafted him is not forced to sign. This comes at a significant cost to the player. For example, a junior player who doesn’t sign a contract with the team that drafts him must wait out two years, but even then doesn’t become a free agent but rather re-enters the draft, for his rights to potentially be held by another team for two years. NCAA college players such as Justin Schultz and Blake Wheeler before him have to wait out their entire four year college career before they can elect to not sign with their draft team. In the latter case though, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

To some it may seem that it is too easy for a player to play for four years in college, possibly earn his degree, and then call his shot in the pros, yet it’s inaccurate to call it a loophole. This facet of the Collective Bargaining Agreement was freely negotiated by the owners and players. With the attention focused on this area by the Justin Schultz situation and the frustration voiced by the Anaheim Ducks, we can expect that the next round of negotiation will spend some time on this issue.

Having said that, it is unreasonable in modern society to expect that a player will be bound to the team that drafts him for an indefinite period of time, courts wouldn’t allow it. Leagues are already pushing the envelope by limiting rookie wages with entry-level contracts. Sports leagues walk a tightrope to avoid anti-trust scrutiny; the probable remedy will be to allow for greater compensation for teams who lose players this way by awarding valuable draft picks.

In the case of Justin Schultz, I personally have to say that I don’t have a major problem with the kid’s decision. He didn’t do anything illegal or immoral or rig the system, he played the cards he was dealt and is making use of his options, the same as players who choose to go to the KHL rather than earn less than what the market would dictate normally in the NHL or AHL.

Further, as hockey fans we have to like that he’s turning his back on a glitzy Southern Californian franchise and looking to play in hockey markets such as Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver. The inclusion of Edmonton on this kid’s list is his get-out-of-jail card. He wants to play hockey and he’s trying to do so in the right environment so he can have a regular shift on an NHL team, we should cut the kid a break.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…okay, I’ve just experienced My second disapointment with a Bergevin decision, beyond hiring The Drooler as HC
    …WHY ??? offer a one-way to a grey specter like Nokelainen …and only a heart-breaking 2-way to a heart & soul Homeboy like Mathieu Darche
    …if Nokelainen had not received this offer I would say little except I feel for Mathieu because of His love of the CH
    …Mathieu gave & offers much more to Our Team than Nokelainen ever did or will
    …so, this sucks, on a personal level to Me as bad as Therrien’s hire …grrrr

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Bill says:

I admire the passion you bring to even the most insignificant moves the Habs make. This is why you are a great fan.

I like to think I’m a great fan, but I’m pretty ‘meh’ about the whole Darche/Nokelainen thing. Just can’t get worked up about it. They’re both kinda fringe players, but at least Nokelainen can win face-offs. I mean, I heard that, didn’t see it much last year, lol.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…My problem, or blessing, is I think with My heart as well as My head
        …My heart is much more invested in this opinion, Bill, than My head
        …but My head also has enough of an influence to say ‘this makes no sense’

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s just that as fans we had a chance to get attached to Mathieu, whereas Petteri is more of a mercenary lifebuoy one-year stopgap solution to an emergency in our minds. We were housesitting that Finnish cat, but the Darchehund was ours.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I feel you brother.

8. habsfanforever7631 says:

Omg, why?
    And Here I was hoping for a tough forth line center!
    Nokelainen is not even tough.
    If he’s our forth line center, we’re in big big trouble.

9. Chuck says:

Oh please, people. It’s $575,000. They’d pay him that to scrimmage in the preseason games before cutting him loose.

___________________________________________________

• habs-fan-84 says:

no question it’s an easy buy out if necessary. BUT, if we’re going with Nokia as our 4th line center to start the season I’m simply disappointed, that’s all.

• Chuck says:

As I said below, you’ve also got to plan for the possibility that you come away empty-handed with free agency. At least now that have a back-up plan in place.

___________________________________________________

10. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I am seriously considering committing HIO suicide (deliberately getting myself banned) to protest the signing of the THE UNSPOKEN ONE

Who thinks I should do it and who will miss me?????

11. habs-fan-84 says:

The Konopka sweepstakes last August is beginning to make more and more sense…

Konopka > Nokalainen

12. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

ANY ONE OF GAUSTAD OR KONOPKA WOULD HAVE BEEN INFINITLY BETTER THEN THAT USELESS LITTLE (deleted)NOKIALAININ!

13. frontenac1 says:

Oh Chri#t! Nokie? That’s it ,I’m outa here. Adios Amigos.

14. commandant says:

Nokaleinen signs 1 year $575,000

Nash signs 2 way contract at the same money.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

15. punkster says:

Never ceases to amaze me how so many on these interwebby bloggy thingys can get sucked in to the rumour vortex created by trolls.

Remember, if you don’t feed ‘em they go away.

‘Cept for that Gomez lovin’ kid…where you at, boy?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

16. BeachHabFan says:

NASH COMES TO THE HABS!!!

sorry, Brendon Nash. My bad.

17. habs-fan-84 says:

Nokellainen on a one way, thought we could do a little better than that. oh well

18. frontenac1 says:

First I lose five bucks on that stupid soccer game,then I get all fu#*ed up over this Subban stuff,then guys were talking about getting back LaLa and Poo Poo for Cri#*t sakes! Screw it, time for some single malt. Go Vijay!

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

RDS saying Nokelainen offered a Habs’ contract

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

20. Say Ash says:

So, I suggest Gally’s official nickname is “Tabarnyuk”, as in:

“Quel but, Tabarnyuk!” or

“Quel mauvais jeu, Tabarnyuk!”

21. Old Bald Bird says:

Stubbs on Twitter

Brendon Nash and Nokelainen (one way) signed.

• Bill says:

That’s funny, Nokelainen made zero impact on the team. But I guess he’s the de facto 4th line centre now. Desharnais, Pleks, Eller, and Nokia down the middle. Shrug. Plus ca change …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habs-fan-84 says:

I really haven’t taken a good look on the FAs available on Sunday, but I gotta think there would have been a better alternative to Nokia as our 4th line centre…?

• Chuck says:

Possibly, but you’ve also got to plan for the possibility that you come away empty-handed with free agency. At least now that have a back-up plan in place.

___________________________________________________

22. mrhabby says:

Since price to me is the best player on the team pay him the most. I have no problem with the amount of coin the mackenzie is mentioning.

23. slapshot777 says:

Any word on Moen? I thought this was a no brainer. Same money pretty much and we need that grit on the third or fourth line.

24. frontenac1 says:

Habsfan, that’s right! That’s what I’m saying, where does this stuff about Subban come from? Hey how about Vijay sitting in 2nd at minus 3 at the AT&T! Man that guy keeps making money below the radar doesn’t he.

25. Adidess says:

This rumour is really starting to take. I am a big fan of Subban, but I heard from a few different people again today, some of them involved in NHL business, that Montreal is serious about trading Subban.

The only reason they’re holding off is they want a good young player in return, and I am told not a defender. Which makes sense, they have a few D prospects in the cupboard.

I really didn’t want to believe this, but fellas let’s brace ourselves for it. It felt like this would happen, unfortunately it’s here now. Let’s pray we get a star forward from Edmonton.

Edit: haha, ok people, nothing in this post is true. See exchange below with what-ever. what-ever (poster’s name) argued the rumour about trading PK must have legs since it keeps popping up. I replied to him I could demonstrate how easy it is to fuel this rumour in my next post, this one right here, by saying some things that sound sensible. Ironically, some readers still thought this post was serious, which proves my point beyond my expectations. I am now confused whether I made the whole thing up, though I know I did.

——————————————–
    A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

• Bill says:

I heard this as well!! It must be true. I heard he’s going to Boston for a package including Jordan Caron.

EDIT: Ok, I was just trying to help Adidess with his Obvious Troll, but I guess it wasn’t obvious enough. I’m getting in too deep, so I’m getting out now. PK Subban isn’t going anywhere unless MB truly is a giant idiot, which I don’t think he is.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mick says:

They would not let him go to the bruins.

• Carta-Hab says:

I find it absolutely hilarious that rumours on this site take on a life of their in almost within minutes. The sheer amount of discussion that takes place here on a regular basis certainly lends to this occurring. But seriously…think about what this rumour is. There is NO WAY they are trading Subban at this point in time. Have you seen their likely defence for next year? If they drop Subban from that equation without getting a significant defenceman in return, the team is doomed. This is a team that couldn’t hold a lead throughout the entire year, and was getting pushed around in their own end. Getting rid of Subban now (and I would say anytime in near to distant future), is NOT going to happen. Maybe a few years down the road when we have a stable defence (hopefully) with the likes of Tinordi et al, it may be something to consider. At any rate, if it does come to pass at some point, score another one for the self fulfilling prophecy.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• mrhabby says:

Ridiculous.lol

• HabFab says:

Bill…I heard it was for Marchant.

• Mick says:

I was told the same thing today from a friend who has connections inside the habs community.
      If true , what would they get for him?

• Lizardking89 says:

Where is the source of said rumor? Just because it’s been said a couple of times by the clowns in the French press or the bitter round table on l’antichambre neither of them don’t have a shred of credibility. I’d be shocked if MB would do something so colossally stupid.

26. like a boss says:

i was at the development camp today and i was really impressed my Jimmy Oligny, Dan Pribyl, Galchenyuk, Nystrom. Oligny was an invite and hes got great speed and a great shot. I went into further investigation of him and he was in the top 5 D-men in the QMJHL in every category. He was also one of the strongest guys in the camps combine. Pribyl is a big guy with a great shot, he seems a little slow compared to the smaller guys but nothing major. Gally was awesome as expected, hes got a great shot and for a big guy hes got great speed. Even the little details like his passes were good, crisp and on the tape. Nystrom also has a great shot and fast hands. Good speed aswell.

• habitual says:

Just looked up Oligny’s stats …. nothing special, and not much size …?

• Bill says:

Oligny is nice to see getting a shot. He’s scrappy, short but solid. Kind of a Bouillon type player. Lots of heart. If he makes a good impression I could see him in Hamilton in 2013. Lots of D prospects in the Habs system, but you have to love a local boy.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• like a boss says:

Im friends with a guy that trains him in the summers, he also works with NHLers so he knows a few things, he says that he’s got a good shot.

27. The Dude says:

If the rumor is true and Price gets 6.5 million per for 7 years as a reward for being a last place Lucy who always give it up with 3 minutes to go….no bad! Halak is starting to look like Montreal’s BIGGEST BLUNDER .

• Mick says:

Get a grip.

• Chorske says:

A. What rumor. Source?
      B. Price was out there by himself, right? It’s not like he had an injured and inexperienced d corps out there, and the teams stud kid Subban nailed to the bench for no good reason.
      C. You need to actually watch some games. Price is amazing.
      D. Loved the guy but seems to me Halak crapped the bed for much of the year in stl.

Or was your post intended to be ironic? So hard to tell on HIO sometimes.

• Chris says:

Price had a very good season considering the anarchy around him. Price does not have the problems that we saw in his first couple of seasons with tracking the puck when he’s struggling or playing too deep in his net or poor body language. He is now the heart and soul of the team and one of the 5 or 6 best goalies in the NHL. The team is in very good hands moving forwards.

Halak had a very good season once he got over a VERY rough October. From Nov.1 through to the end of the season, Halak was 25-7-7 with a 1.74 goals against average and a save percentage of 93.5% in 40 games. That’s not crapping the bed for much of the year…that is borderline ludicrous, regardless of how good your team is in front of you.

Nothing changes on this site…we’re still unable to acknowledge both guys’ success and wish them both well. :(

• boing007 says:

Price is not always amazing. Sometimes he’s downright flaky.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Phil Aubrey says:

Yeah, the Blues love Halak so much he split time with Elliott last year. No GM in the league would take Halak over Price.

ManitobaChapter

• Chris says:

Halak had an outstanding season, but so did Price. And getting Lars Eller in return for Halak is pretty outstanding given how few teams were willing to part with any assets. It might have been nice to get Colorado’s first and second round pick like Washington got for Varlamov, but that is Gauthier’s fault for perhaps not pushing harder.

Price is the Canadiens’ goaltender moving forward and he has shown me that the team is in good hands if they can give him some pieces to work with.

• boing007 says:

Price in 2011-2012 was outstanding? Not by a long shot. I don’t dislike him but the hyperbole that gets flung around here by his most passionate fans really is too much.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

28. Kevy says:

New Nickname for Galchenyuk S/B Chucky!

29. frontenac1 says:

Hey Santo! If Red comes in,I owe you a cocktail! Hola Amigo! And way to go Skillsy!

30. what-ever says:

I wouldn’t be surprise to see subban gone – His name keeps popping up – something not right there – If it happens it happens
    not much we can do. as long as something good comes our way it may not be a bad thing. if he’s not wanted in Montreal than get some good players for him and let him go. quit playing mind games.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Where does it keep popping up other than this nut house? Can you honestly come up with one credible source?

• Lizardking89 says:

I heard from a friend of a friend that scrubs the johns at the Bell center that he heard from the sister of Molson’s aunt that Subban is black.

• Adidess says:

You think there needs to be something to the ‘rumour’ for it to keep popping up? Just watch my next post, ok!!!

Once I’m finished here, I am going to do the same on Twitter, where my tweet will be retweeted. Then I’ll go on my Facebook page and put it there. Forget My Space, that’s dead. I’ll wrap up by posting it on a few popular Sports message boards under different aliases. Think that might add to the echo chamber effect? Watch me, let’s do it for fun -)

——————————————–
      A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

31. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I am disheartend by MB’s assertions that he has no big FA plans.

I think that while we shouldn’t splurge this summer, we should in the very least sign a big tough defenseman, a 3rd/second line winger and a tough fourth liner.

Let’s say: Bryan Allen, Paul Gaustad, and Aaron Asham??

• habs-fan-84 says:

Any one of those 3 you suggested wouldn’t be “big FA plans”, at least IMO

• what-ever says:

MB is not like the pass GM’s we’ve had. He won’t spend money for the sake of bringing in new faces and there’s not all that many good FA’s to be had unless you want to give them a barrel of money like a Parise etc and sit the team back another 5-years. let’s wait and see.
      teams are run like a business now, and a business is about making money not spending.

32. habitual says:

Skillsie robs the bank: 2 year deal w Nashville, 4 million.

A good guy gets a great contract to ride into the sunset on.

33. frontenac1 says:

Subban leaving?!! Jeeze sometimes bullsh*# does baffle brains.

34. habs-fan-84 says:

I certainly hope it’s not 6.5. How they can justify paying him more than Quick is beyond me. Again, huge Price fan and glad we kept him over Halak, but I hope it’s not 6.5. I suppose you can argue Price at the moment is more integral to the success of the Canadiens than Quick is (as a result of the Kings’ depth) but still…if this is the contract I’m not a huge fan.

I guess with the increase in salary cap this year (and most likely every year after) it’s not so bad….

• K-hab25 says:

How did Nashville, or Buffalo, or New York justify giving there goaltenders more than Niemi or Fleury?

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• Carta-Hab says:

I’d say it has to do with the fact that Fleury is nowhere near as important to his team as the goaltenders you mentioned are to theirs. I think the same could be said of Niemi. How far do you think the Rangers would have made it this year with Lunquist?

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• K-hab25 says:

Ya that was point, I’m glad you got it. Price is more important to the Habs than Quick is to LA. They have, arguably, a more talented young goalie in Bernier in there system, the Habs have no one.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• Chris says:

What does Quick have to do? He has been absolutely outstanding the past two seasons. People keep talking about the supporting cast.

You mean the supporting cast that finished 29th in the NHL in goals scored this season? Without Jonathan Quick, the Kings don’t make the playoffs. Without Quick, Dustin Brown’s late season heroics to drag them into the playoffs are meaningless because the hole they’ve dug was far too deep.

Quick is absolutely as important as Price. There is no question in my mind.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Like I argued in my post, Quick is probably not making as much because he is not as integral to the success of his team (look at the supporting cast). That same argument also goes for Fleury and (arguably) to a lesser extent Niemi.

Lundqvist and Miller (at the time his contract was hammered out) are big reasons why those teams have success. Sure New York now has Richards, Gaborik, Staal etc., but if you watched the playoffs this year you can see why Lundqvist makes the money he does, he gives that team a chance to win every night.

As I said, there is no question that an argument can be made that Price is an extremely important piece to the puzzle here. As a result, I can see management justifying his contract on that basis.

At the end of the day I still don’t love the contract, but “I get it”. If that’s what it takes to keep one of favourite players and one of the best goalies in the world, then so be it.

• boing007 says:

If Price is so integral to the success of the Habs then we’re in big trouble.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• ont fan says:

Why does anyone care how much Price, Subban or anyone else gets? Getting them is all that counts. It’s not my money. I don’t want to play against them.

35. frontenac1 says:

Soccer! Watched it today and lost five bucks on white.Doubled up with my bartender for Sunday.I got Red.From what I’m reading from you soccer guys, I think I’m screwed. Damn stupid sport! Hola!

• citizenSanto says:

lol
      smart money is on Red as they are the favourites.
      Those with the soul of a poet, and who love the symphony of an underdog’s victory will be cheering for Blue.
      FORZA!

36. AH says:

LOL! Football (Soccer) vs Hockey: Was reading some of the comments below; some posters said hockey and soccer have similarities, here’s the main one: they are the 2 sports in the world with the absolute worst officiating. Particularly soccer at the world level, and hockey at the NHL level.

37. twilighthours says:

Ian Cobb, are you still here?

A charity game on the bell centre ice? Heck yeah.

What do you think the likelihood of this is? I’m so so in if this is likely to happen.

• Ian Cobb says:

We will know more later my friend! Might have a draft, East vs West, but whatever, I’ll need help setting up!

I think Timo and Hard Habits might be captains and pick one at a time!

But first I have to secure enough game tickets before we move on anything.

CLICK HERE for Summit news, pictures and comments.

• twilighthours says:

Well sign me up for a ticket, sir, and thanks for organizing.

Timo vs HH, eh? I’d love to goon Timo…but I’d love to agitate HH, too. Can’t go wrong either way.

You’re a good man, Ian.

• Hali_Hab says:

Hey Ian .. are the dates for this years summit the same as last years? Turns out i was in Montreal to see the Rangers and Bruins games. I didn’t know at the time that all of you were as well. I head up every year for a game or two and would love to get in on the summit if you have the room.

• neumann103 says:

Ian,

Is there a chance that we could have a game on Bell Centre Ice? I would be there for the summit with Bells on.

My (Toronto based) hockey team bought a package a few years ago whereby for buying a block of 30 Red tickets for a Senators game we got an hour of ice time after the game. Fan freaking tastic. It was a Saturday afternoon game in February on the Hockey Day in Carter thing. Yes we had to get dressed in a partially curtained hallway while the Senators and Flames left the building but fan freaking tastic.

I contacted the Habs on two occasions to see if they had something similar, but no luck. And the cost of Bell Centre Ice was more than Ottawa charges for the whole thing.

Hey, maybe have a summit on the road: Habs at Ottawa?

“Et le but!”

38. PrashadHabs says:

Rumour has Price signing for 6 or 7 years for 6.5mil per year.

39. HabFab says:

Apron’s piece on Gally at NHL.com;

40. Favorite Son says:

If Price gets more $/yr than Quick, that would be freaking ridiculous.

• commandant says:

Contracts are more than just money per year.

More years means less money per year.
      Less years means more money per year.

If Price takes 10 years, he gets less money than quick, but if he takes 4 years or 5 years, he might get more per season.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• K-hab25 says:

Why? Seriously, why? Do you have a logical reason, or is it just a, “him have cup” caveman argument. Is based on anything other than this years playoffs or are you factoring anything else into it?

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• boing007 says:

Sign Price for two more years. If he doesn’t pan out then hasta la vista baby. Do not make the same mistake that was made with José Théodore.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

41. D Mex says:

#27 – an interesting choice. Something tells me if wasn’t Bourque’s first choice when he arrived last season – does this sound right ? (pls omit slagging Bourque)

Tom Pyatt last wore #94 so I’m wondering why the Habs don’t just join Galchenyuk in stating that the number is his when he is ready to move into the lineup, or would this send the wrong message about tradition in CH land – anyone ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

42. Mick says:

I heard that the habs are silently shopping subban.
    Has any one else heard this? I like the kid and do not want him gone just because he has a hard time taking correction from coaches.
    I can see him having a problem with our new head coach.

• The Jackal says:

Where did you hear this? This is would be a terrible move. I don’t think there is truth to that, these rumours have come and gone all year. Subban is already showing leadership with this year’s new crop of prospects and is very young himself, he’ll be great.

• Lizardking89 says:

That’s an old rumor that keeps popping up don’t see it happening personally.

43. HabFab says:

Gally wearing number 27 during the camp “because it was available”.

44. Mr. Biter says:

Sigh Staubitz for 600,000.00 (same as last year) for 1 year. Nice article about him in Gazette and we need his toughness. MB read this.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

45. Les Habitants says:

I hear a lot of speculation that Robinson wont be coming to Montreal. I would just like to say if it’s true that really sucks. :(

I hope that this has nothing to do with Gainey not returning his calls a few years back. I’ve overlooked a lot of Bobs recent transgressions, because of how he played his legendary career here, but this may be the straw that broke the camels back, and that’s saying a lot after the whole bale of hay he threw on it with the Gomez trade.

• Max says:

If Robinson doesn’t want an assistant position in Montreal,that’s his perogative. I don’t want a guy here who doesn’t really want to be here and ends up having his arm twisted to even consider the job.

Getting behind that esteemed bench should be an honor to those who attain such a position.

Good luck Larry and thanks for the 70s!

• jols101 says:

It really should be “an honor to those who attain such a postion” but with the terrible stench behind the bench, created by the Therrien hire , no one can really blame Robinson for not wanting to jump on board…

• Les Habitants says:

But that just it Max, he DID want to, so much so that he made numerous calls to the Habs front office.

As I was saying I would be very disappointed if not being shown the common courtesy of at least having his calls returned was the deciding factor in his decision.

• HabFab says:

It wasn’t Gainey but Boivin that didn’t return the calls.

46. HabFab says:

Lars Eller needs a raise, his wife is expecting.

47. habstrinifan says:

” Slight of build, Galchenyuk has large hands which he kept in his pockets through most of the interviews.”

OK! What does that guy say on the radio. Give him his props!

Well I think I need my props. Remember I posted when the drafts pics came out about Galchenyuk’s hands being the biggest of the top 3 draftees. And I said this is a great sign.

I could hear the snickers right thru my monitor.

Who’s laughing now eh? This is bio science. If you think not.. check out Gretzky’s hands.

48. what-ever says:

MB is not gonna rush things in regards to signing anyone. He’s going to put a team in place that can compete for a couple of years till he can bring in the young guns than he’ll start building a stanley cup team with the good players we have in place and what ever he has to add to win a cup. so far he’s shown he’s a smart GM

49. ont fan says:

Bobby Mac says Price will get a 6 year contract cap hit will be up to 6.5 mil.

• jols101 says:

Ya, I just heard that as well. A little high, but what are you going to do? He is the best player on the team and I guess it is pay day. Was hoping Price would take a “Team First” discount but that never happens, optimistic thinking on my part…Bobby Mac also said that the news may break real soon…

• Max says:

6.5 is too steep for Price at this point in his career.I’d be happier with something around 5 per season.

• Bill says:

It’s a little high compared to Quick, but I guess you have to take Canadian/Quebec taxes into account? Combined highest tax rate in California is about 45%, more like 53% in Quebec.

Full Breezer 4 Life

50. HabFab says:

Another live stream tomorrow from the Prospect Camp at 10:30.
    That is EST for HiS.

51. habstrinifan says:

Not up on the latest as of thi spost but just heard on car radio (tsn990).. Robinson not coming to Mtl.. and Gill gets 2yrs 2 per.

Gotta read to see re the Robionson development.

And if Gill gets 2 mill a year then no way do we sign P.K fr less than 3.5 and at that rate for more than 2 yrs. He aint gonna take less.

Never mind the Quick deal I am hearing about and its effect on Price.

Well gotta do some catching up.

52. commandant says:

I looked at the UFA forwards today

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

53. HabFab says:

With all the Carey contract talk, his thoughts are;

54. habs-fan-84 says:

Big Price fan – one of the few who wanted to keep him over Halak – with that said I sure hope we do not hand him one of these ridiculous 10 year contracts. Same thing goes for Subban and any other current or future Habs player.

Frankly too much can happen/change in 10 years.

• Lizardking89 says:

They won’t they usually don’t commit to a player that long. I wish they would drive the market more rather than react to it now we’re in a tough spot because of all the ridiculous money flying around.

55. Habilis says:

WARNING: Random venting ahead

Ok so is anyone else completely disgusted by this whole Justin Schultz sweepstakes? I mean here is a kid who hasn’t played a professional game yet and yet he’s getting the same red carpet free-agent treatment that Brad Richards did a couple of years back. Shouldn’t that kind of status be earned?
    On top of which you can pile on the fact that this sets a really dangerous precedent for incoming draftees, especially those who play in the US College ranks. Agents must be drooling at the chance to offer up their clients the chance to basically choose where they end up, dictate their own playing time when they get there and get a degree in the meantime. All they have to do is give a big middle finger to the team that drafts them for a few years.
    Now I get that Schultz is only exploiting the opportunity made available to him by the CBA so maybe my frustration should be directed at the drafters of said document instead of him and his agents. Either way though I find it ridiculous that an unproven college player gets to basically waste one team’s draft pick and then is courted by the other 29.

• The Jackal says:

I agree… I may be bitter because Montreal was not on his shortlist, but who cares, we have good D prospects anyway and we don’t need some kid who thinks he’s a big deal because his agent tells him he can pick where he plays.
      I hope this is addressed in the next CBA, as it is unfair for a team to draft a player and lose him because he decides to play out his university career. If he chooses to go pro after that then the team that drafted him should still have his rights.

• commandant says:

Blake Wheeler started this.

As far as being disgusted, I’m not…. kid gave up a lot to get UFA status.

He could have signed when he was 18 and gotten a signing bonus right away, then gotten AHL salary at 20, and would be approximately 500K richer today even if not in the NHL . If he made the NHL earlier he’d be millions ahead.

If he took the contract he’d also be an RFA and not a rookie with a max salary of $950,0000

So all he did was play by the rules to become a UFA four years after his draft, nothing more.
        NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly.

Plus he’s not being a spoiled brat about wanting to play in L.A. or in a sunny city or whatever, he wants a team with a chance to win, a hockey market.

The kid is only exercising his options, one of the few that players have.

He’ll still be on an entry-level contract, so it’s not the Brad Richards highest bidder situation.

Just the fact that he has Edmonton on his list makes this whole Justin Schultz sweepstakes okay in my eyes.

• Lizardking89 says:

That totally goes in the face of what the draft is all about! Why should a player have the right to choose where he goes before he’s ever played a game in the NHL? Hell if every player wanted to go to a winner no bad teams would improve!

• Rozz says:

I personally don’t believe that unwarranted self-entitlement is high on Bergevin’s list of character traits he looks for in player.. might be a hell of a player, and we may have had some interest in him but it just doesn’t seem like the kind of guy the new management would be after. of course I cant say that for sure.. just my feeling on the subject

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

• Malreg says:

There is more interest in Schultz than there was for Brad Richards, and rightfully so.

How often can you pick up one of the best defense prospects around, who is ready to step-in and play top-4 minutes, for an entry-level contract?

• Bill says:

If he really IS all that …

Fabian Brunnstrom, Jonas Gustavsson, etc.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Malreg says:

As Mckenzie pointed out…:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Why Justin Schultz isn’t likely to be Fabian Brunnstrom, part deux: Brunnstrom was a late-blooming wild card with no real track record.

At 18, Schultz identified as solid prospect, ANA’s 2nd-rd pick in 08 out of BCHL. Since then he’s shown steady/significant development.

But he’s still a 22-yr-old Dman who hasn’t played an NHL game and like all young guys playing a tough position, he’ll have his ups/downs.

Never any guarantees with any player but you would be hard pressed to find an NHL scout who doesn’t think Schultz has tremendous upside.

• Lizardking89 says:

Same here I hope some team like toronto signs him to a huge contract and he ends up being a bust. This should not be allowed, if Bettman was any kind of commissioner he wouldn’t have let this happen loophole or no.

• commandant says:

Its not a loophole, and its not part of the new CBA. Its been around for at least 15, if not 20 years. If you want to wait four years after your draft and not take any money, you can be a UFA.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Lizardking89 says:

I really don’t think it’s fair to the team that drafted him though. Whether he waited to finish college or not his rights should belong to the team that drafted him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Junior players can wait two years only and then re-enter the draft.

• Lizardking89 says:

That shouldn’t be allowed either. Any player could wait long enough and pick any team they wanted. If that happened to a blue chip prospect belonging to the Habs we’d all be plenty pissed. The team that drafted that player should have more rights to that player than they do. If not you might as well ditch the draft and have a free agent bonanza every year.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with you. I bet most of the NHL players would support Schultz now. Most of teh hockey world is fawning over him. I havent heard too much criticism.

Wonder what the NHL communities reaction was to Le Bron James. But that’s a horse of a different colour if you get my drift.

• Bouleau noir says:

Its quite the loophole/reality which in my view our own McDonough was I believe targetting himself before getting traded, I thought that trading him to the Rangers was a pro-active move made by Gainey in order to restore some of the lost value that he had anticipated was coming with McDonough, something wich Anahein should have had done a year ago with Schultz had they known any better.

This was my own interpretation as to why McDonough had been included in a trade at that point in time…. one year before the date which would have turned him into an UFA à la Schultz.

Anyone else saw it that way ?

On a similar note I had a hard time explaining myself as to why our youg collegiate forward Kristo had decided not to come to Hamilton next season….. hopefully he isn’t contemplating the all american 4year/special road to UFAgency himself.

• habstrinifan says:

Not I. You are being kind to the habs management with this assumption. There was disenchantment with the progress of McDonough on the part of some of the habs braintrust. And this is principally what factored into them giving up on him. Of course it
        was not unanimous. But it was still wrong.

• neumann103 says:

The draft is a fundamentally anti competitive measure that prevents players from freely negotiating their services with the employer of their choice. Yes it supposedly creates a benefit for some fans (parity) but acts as a constraining factor on early career salary.

I have absolutely zero issues with someone using the formal provisions of the CBA and NHL rules. Even less when he is already constrained by many of the same restrictions on salary and bonus. Even more when the decision is entirely about which organization and city he wants to live and play in. The fact that he apparently is leaning towards a “win now” team in Vancouver or a “win soon” team in Edmonton and rejects a Mickey Mouse org in Anaheim that appears to be hanging Bobby Ryan out to dry speaks volumes.

“Et le but!”

56. boonie says:

Puck Daddy reports the Quick deal was $58m for 10 years. He’s won a Cup and and an MVP. He’s been the Kings starter since 2008-2009. What does that suggest for a Price?

8 years, $40m?

Shorter term, more per year?

• Rozz says:

I saw it some where in an article that it was believed to be around 40 million long term. Cant for the life of me remember where i read it but if that’s true my guess is a 40 million over 6 years.. which is an average of 6.66 million, and that’s just a bad ass number :D

EDIT: if he does sign for that im gonna start calling him the Anti-Price lol

Mark Twain.

57. Adidess says:

@uce
    On IPhone trying to get home. Not entirely clear whether your reply is addressed to me, but it sounds like it is…

I grew up overseas with soccer. I am crazy about hockey but did not grow up watching the sport every day as a child. I am both a soccer and a hockey fan, a breed some around HIO don’t think exist.

Speaking from experience in trying to share my hockey passion with other immigrants… No sport is harder to ‘get’ for a non-initiated than hockey, I’m telling you.

My post on perspective bias was not an intellectual exercise, I have lived it on both sides of the sports I like. I have had similar discussions with my hockey-hating relatives…

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…calm down Adler, most of Us disdain soccer in many respects …but, still We are mostly just baiting the soccer fanatics
      …I played soccer…My son has played soccer since Kindergarten, and now at 16 is at Silver Level

…take what You hear here with a grain of salt, and You’ll maintain Your sanity :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Adidess says:

I am calm, HiS. I tried to be. Always.

I don’t mind a passionate argument/disagreement though, if it is all civil like this one has been…

• ed lopaz says:

there are too many hockey fans who hate soccer without ever having played, and certainly never played at a high level.

in Canada, we appreciate hockey because we all played, and we realise just how amazing NHL players really are.

same is true for the rest of the world and soccer.

play a sport as a kid, play it competitively, and you will appreciate the Pro game that much more.

• Un Canadien errant says:

ed, I loved playing baseball and later softball. I played a lot of soccer, mostly in gym class, at lunchtime at school, at social drop-in leagues to stay in shape. Viktor Zilberman at Vanier College would make us play soccer for 45 minutes while he ran laps around the field. When he thought we were warmed up and he’d finished his running, he take us inside and we’d start to wrestle.

So I have a lot of exposure to both sports, but I can’t watch either.

• habstrinifan says:

I once posted here a very detailed list of the similarities between hocky and soccer of which there are many. Hockey fans need only open their eyes a bit.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nothing personal Adidess, but I refuse to have a rational discussion about soccer. The satin, the diving, the nonsensical rules, the boredom, the fake pretentious fans who get all excited every four years, the fragile, emotionally overwrought players. The ludicrous throw-ins that accomplish nothing. The corner kicks where nothing ever happens, but everyone gets so hyped because there’s an infinitesimal chance that through dumb luck something might. It’s a sport that’s fundamentally broken. It’s as if baseball were played with raw eggs instead of a ball, and a spaghetti strainer instead of gloves, you couldn’t get anything accomplished, but all its fans insisted that that’s the way it is and there’s lots of subtle nuances about batting the egg that are enthralling.

I hate the way the players are either jogging listlessly, then sprinting until the ball goes out of bounds, inevitably, and then everyone starts jogging again, or until someone passes the ball backward, and any incipient threat is quelled, and everyone starts jogging again.

I hate the way players surround the ref after controversial decisions, yelling and crying and waving their arms and acting like someone is about to get shivved. It’s ridiculous how out of control a soccer game gets, when a rugby referee who theoretically has much more violent players to deal with can impose calm and respect in the proceedings.

I hate the outfits and the hair. And the whining. And yeah, the obvious fake injury, rolling on the ground, Mamma Mia lamentations, it goes without mention, but I don’t want to go off on a rant about that.

I hate the offside rule. It’s abysmally stupid. Fans always try to explain it to me, like I don’t understand why it was put it. They always refuse to understand why it should be taken out, or at least adapted. They think it’s okay for a defender to nullify a good play by their opponents simply by stopping to run, or running in the other direction.

I hate the fact that it’s popular is brought up as proof of its validity as a sport. As if the Journal de Montréal and Fox News and McDonalds and Madonna were valid.

I hate the penalty kicks. There is absolutely no skill involved, the arbitrariness is astounding. The goalie isn’t allowed to move before the ball is touched, except that he always does, but it doesn’t matter anyway, since the net is always wide open anyway. Still, they often miss the net. Somehow that’s high drama.

So all you soccer guys can get all wrapped up in the Euro and then the Mundial and then the CONCACAF whatever. I know better. Soccer is worse than basketball. Probably.

• Adidess says:

This is a hockey site where I come to talk hockey, no point going on and on about this obviously ridiculous notion that soccer isn’t good enough, not just for you, but as a sport deserving of being popular. I honestly thought you were trying to be funny until you brought up the McDonald comparison.

One could write a list that’s twice as long talking about changes that would make hockey better, and I have seen you complain here about many of those problems in hockey, including rules – quite articulately at that. But I’ll end it there. Il n’a pas de plus grand sourd que celui qui ne veut pas entendre. Vive le hockey!

——————————————–
        A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

58. Mike D says:

My apologies if this has already been posted:

- NHL raises the salary cap for next year to 70.2 mil
    - The Preds locked up Skillsie for 2 years @ 2mil per.
    - According to Capgeek.com Jonathan Quick’s cap hit will be 5.8mil until 2023.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

59. Bill says:

Would anyone really have a problem with Price getting 50 million over ten years?

I wouldn’t. But there will be those who say it’s either too much for the Habs to give, or too long for Price to agree to at his age, when he still has a lot of upside.

Well, it’s not too much. He’s proven to be a good starting goalie, is still very young, and the Habs could be set in goal for a decade at a pretty decent cap hit.

And Price … well, he gets fifty million dollars. Plus endorsements. That’s hovercraft money. I would rather take a guaranteed fifty million over 25 million for the next five years, and then seeing what I could get after that!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Good post. But not many will agree with you lol

• Mike D says:

I wouldn’t have a problem with that. It might make me a tad antsy, but overall I’d be comfortable with it.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• The Jackal says:

Yeah for sure, I too think it would be a good deal and not much of a risk. People look at long contracts and gasp no matter who the player is, even if its Crosby. When the player is young and talented, and long contract is a minimal risk. You want to avoid a long contract when a player is already going into his 30s and is close to a wane in his performance, otherwise, when you have a young guy who has proven he has lots of talent, you lock him up.

Imagine if you give Price 4-5 years, then he becomes a UFA, and he is probably up for a raise, plus he is probably going to be approached by other teams. Best we lock him up for the long term.

• jols101 says:

Totally agree. I think Price will be 5.5 or 6 million a year. Would love to lock him up long term. I think it is fair for him to be the highest paid Hab and when we get rid of Gomez, he will be.

I would also like to lock in PK for 10 years at 4.5 million but I think PK’s agent will be smarter then that. PK will be worth 4.5 for the next year or two but once he reaches his maximum potential PK would be leaving a lot of money on the table at 4.5 million over 10 years…

• 24 Cups says:

I’d have a huge problem with it. Right now Price is a very good goalie. One day he may even be great. But I’m not betting ten years on it. Bergevin should implement a new club policy of maximum five year contracts even if you’re Sidney Crosby.

• skoalbandit says:

With the length of contracts being handed out all over the league, that policy would cripple us worse than Gaineys no nogetiating during the season policy.

It would completely take us out of the running for every TOP UFA

• skoalbandit says:

I have been saying since the middle of last season that 10 years/50 million would be the best case senerio for both the team and Carey. The team gets an elite goalie for a good cap hit for years to come, and Price still takes home more than any other goalie in the league (dont forget canadas rules on native status!).

Also would love to see Carey persuade his cousin Shane Doan to sign here…4 years 18m???

• boonie says:

Works for me. I can’t see him signing for less than $5m. At the same time, Quick’s resume is better and sets a $5.8m ceiling per year for a long term deal for a still young tender.

The real question is do we want to lock him up for 10 years?

• Bill says:

Yeah, we do! He’ll be 34 at the end and he’s as good a goalie as we’re liable to get. Hard to compare goalies because of team play, but I don’t think it would be a stretch to say he’s in the top five in the league in terms of ability. It certainly seems that NHL players/hockey people regard him very highly.

Tell you what: the old regime is gone. Price’s critics always argued that it was the Gainey/Gauthier cabal that “handed” Price the starting job and pumped him up when he didn’t deserve it.

Well, if that’s true, you can look for Marc Bergevin – who has no vested interest in Price and an awful lot of smart hockey people working for him – to low-ball Price’s next contract in term/money, and then trade him. Because the new guys won’t keep Price unless they really believe in his ability. So we’ll see!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• chilli says:

The real problem is that NO long term goaltender contracts have worked out.

3 years after Jose Theodore won the Veniza and Hart trophies, he was useless.

A month into the first season of Bryzgalov’s 10 year and they wanted to trade him.

Luongo? He was Team Canada’s starting goalie at the Olympics. Now Van doesn’t want him.

DiPietro’s long term is considered by many to be the worst in the history of professional sports.

Tre

• Bill says:

Sobering points, but on the other hand, Price isn’t like these other guys.

Theodore – I will never understand what happened to him. He was truly an amazing goalie for the Habs, and then he just lost it. I haven’t seen very many pro athletes, in any sport, lose it the way he did. I’m not saying it was drugs, I’m saying I don’t know.

Bryzgalov – That was just a stupid, stupid contract handed to a player who had done nothing to show he was going to be a dominant goalie.

Luongo – He is still a really good goalie, albeit in an untenable situation. ALso, and most importantly, Luongo signed a 12 year deal when he was 31! Price is 24. If Price signed for ten years, he’d basically be the age Luongo is now when it ran out. So Luongo signed the deal as he was moving out of his prime, and we’re talking about Price signing a deal as he enters his prime.

Dipietro – Well, what can I say. Freakish contract, freakish situation. I don’t think I would compare Price and Dipietro. I honestly don’t think Dipietro really wants to play. Price wants to win the Stanley Cup.

Full Breezer 4 Life

60. The Jackal says:

Thoughts on Quick’s deal and implications for Price deal.

I wouldn’t mind that at that age and talent level.
    Long term deals, IMO, are only really risky if the player is past a certain age, because then you would have a few years on that deal with an aging player that may be hard to move if the need arises.
    Quick is 26, which means he is under that deal until 36, which is not that bad. It’s still a risk of course, but the real head shakers are long term deals like the one for Bobby Lou, who is already in his 30s and won’t be in his prime for much longer but will still have some time left on that deal.
    I think the Quick deal ends just a couple of years after his prime, so it’s not that bad.
    For Carey Price, a 10 year deal would see him finish that contract when he is 34, so he may be in the latter years of his prime, but still not considered “old.”

61. frontenac1 says:

Ok,I doubled up on soccer bet with the bartender at the cocktail lounge. He has got the blue guys and I got red on Sunday.Wish me luck Amigos,

62. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m as ignorant as anyone else when it comes to soccer, so I’m trying to educate myself. Follow the link below for a wealth of soccer news and features.

2012 HIO Fan Summit news Flash!

Dear Ian Cobb
    Organizing a group requires time and effort and to that effect, I would like to thank you on behalf of the Canadiens organization for all your hard work and support during the last season.

As a club we’re looking forward to coming back strong in 2012-13, and the first steps toward this goal have already been taken with the arrivals of our new Executive Vice President and General Manager, Marc Bergevin, Michel Therrien as head coach, and his team of experienced new assistants. I can assure you that at all levels of the organization, we are determined to bring back the tradition of excellence which has been the hallmark of our franchise for more than a century.

In mid-July, we will be forwarding to you our official calendar for the 2012-13 season as well as detailed information concerning related group sales and ice rental programs. A new program will be offered: a package which will combine the purchase of tickets for a Montreal Canadiens game during the regular season with the possibility of playing your own HIO game among friends on the Bell Centre ice after the Canadiens game is over. Additional details will be available on http://www.canadiens.com.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and all your HIO members an excellent summer; we look forward to seeing you next season. Until then, please do not hesitate to communicate with us at any time, should you have any questions.

Best regards Ian,

Pierre
    Director – Group Sales and Ice Rental

CLICK HERE for Summit news, pictures and comments.

64. Bripro says:

So according to Bob McKenzie, Quick’s deal is worth between $5.5 – 6MM per, for 10 years.
    That will put Price, depending on the length of contract, at the same or better, IMO.

65. Hali_Hab says:

Strange.. I figured we would have heard about some RFA signings by now. Slow and steady in Hab land i guess.

66. frontenac1 says:

At the lounge, lost 5 bucks on on this damn soccer. I went with White team! Damn lousey buggers!

67. Adidess says:

You know what I don’t get? Why people feel the need to go ad nauseam about how much soccer sucks compared to hockey…

A lot of it awareness and perspective bias. Many don’t realize the reason they’re so in love with hockey is that it’s been fed to them as infants, the same way parents and grand parents feed their kids the food, religion, and culture they have and know best.

It’s not like you grew up in a house where the full menu of professional sports were fed to you to the same degree, and you on your volition, opted rationally and deliberately for the most exciting sports in the world: hockey!

If you were the son/daughter of a Canadian expat leaving virtually anywhere else in the world at the time of your childhood, there is a good chance another sport would be nb 1 in your mind and in your heart. It’s that simple. Hockey chose you more than you chose it. From there, you developed the passion.

Because I am a hockey fan, it doesn’t mean i know any better than fans of other sports. I don’t know how anybody can find their thrill in Cricket, but Cricket doesn’t suck. I am just biased bc I don’t have any understanding, or cultural and emotional connection to the sport.

Soccer wouldn’t be the most popular sport in the world if it sucks. Unless one believes we in North America are inherently superior to the rest of the world in our tastes and in our intelligence…

End of rant…

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“A lot of it awareness and perspective bias” That’s as far as I got. Your “awareness and perspective bias” prevents you from seeing the suck when you watch soccer.

• chilli says:

I was just about to write the same thing. So I will take a different angle. I live in LA and even though we just won the cup, hockey is a little piddly sport here. Most people find it painfully boring. (Try watching a regular season Islanders/Yotes game…. or better yet, a regular season Habs/Canes).

The fact is, you are emotionally involved with hockey and most likely the Canadians for what the history, the sweater, the players mean to you. Same with soccer in europe. It’s a beautiful sport the way baseball can be a beautiful sport. Both about tiny moments of execution of great athletic ability. I took my cousin from Europe to see a Dodgers game and he was asleep by the 2nd inning.

I myself went to the Super Bowl (don’t care about football) and found it painfully boring.

To the people out here in LA, hockey is a bunch of white dudes who talk like farmers chasing a little black thing around and every once in awhile they fight each other.

That’s truly how they see it.

Tre

• PrimeTime says:

Good post! Almost identical as I posted earlier in the thread. To answer your question….Ignorance! Not all hockey fans are sports fans.

• Billyboy says:

I agree with everything you say. Having said that, let me say
      that I played soccer every summer when I was a kid and thoroughly
      enjoyed it. But, I get no enjoyment out of watching it. I would rather watch paint dry.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re trying to be objective and analytical about soccer, which is why you’re wrong. Just try to watch a game, and then pretend that it doesn’t suck.

68. citizenSanto says:

English translation:

Brothers of Italy,
    Italy has awoken,
    Bound Scipio’s helmet
    Upon her head.
    Where is Victory?
    Let her offer her locks to [Italy],
    For God created her
    Slave of Rome.

Sorry Burly.

—————————————
    Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

69. Habitant in Surrey says:

…soccer
    …things that bother Me and bores Myself to tears
    …the eternity it takes for anything compelling or exciting to happen
    …the hystrionics
    …WHY ??? is a trip termed ‘a tackle’
    …annoys Me to no end that 99% of the world insist soccer is really ‘football’
    …unless Spanish or Italian, WHY ??? must all English language commenting and play by play require a Limey accent ???
    …WHY ??? when watching North American soccer, or European soccer, must We use all these Briticisms …like, WHY ??? do they insist a 1-0 result is called one naught, and not one nothing ???
    …and, the biggest annoyance, is WHY ??? do so-called CANADIANS cheer for every raggedy team in the world except our own CANADIAN national team
    …I think We hockey fans have be more like Mormons, dedicate a couple years of our youth to proselytize in those backwards corners of the world, that HOCKEY is really ‘the beautiful game’

70. Drive4twenty5 says:

Does anyone know what the big deal is with this unproven Schultz’s kid and why Toronto seams to think every player wants to go there?

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

71. kempie says:

Quick signs apparently for 10 years! No word on the $$$ but somewhere Carey Price is smiling.

72. aemarchand11 says:

Mike Brophy: Idiot :)

Last i checked both Moen and the Habs wanted to re-sign so i doubt he will hit July 1.. Silly Sportsnet, don’t drink the Kool-aid!

73. Feraco says:

No laces to keep feet cool and at optimal skating temperature.
    Very nice