The post-Boyd era begins

Shout-out to Jonathan Duhamel, World Champion of poker.

Quebecer is 23 years old and $9 million richer.

Nice.

Louie, Louie

• Pat Hickey on Alain Vigneault

Booting Boyd gives Canadiens room to manoeuvre: Marc Antoine Godin

• Richard Labbé on how the Halak trade went down

• Our friend Marc de Foy goes into the Hall of Fame

Pierre LeBrun at HoF shindig

The Sedin twins are in town …

39zwXQbblRY

1. Trenton_Romulox says:

That, my friend, is a lot of “e”. I’m sitting way up high (311, I think, part of a 5-game pack, close as I could get). What about you?

2. Hagar says:

Ah, new day. Let me beat the 10 posters who are gonna say it by saying it myself first. Scott Gomez is overpaid and it’s killing our team.

It’s always interesting to watch a game in person as it gives you a totally different perspective from viewing it on the tube.  I attended Saturday’s Summit game and a few things stood out.

I realize he’s coming back from a serious injury, but Markov may well have been our worst player on the ice.  I think he knew it as you could see the frustration on his face.

Second worst?  Had to be Cammy.  H I/O is all over Gionta (Elliot should have made that save) and Gomez (good 3rd period) but Cammarelli is also letting down the side.  How small is Gionta?  When he jumped over the boards for a line change, I thought he was one of the flag waving kids who are part of the player intros.  Regardless, he received a great round of applause when he finally scored a goal.

The duo of Gill and Subban isn’t working.  They were on for the first two goals and you have to wonder why Martin would break up a pair of guys who have worked well together from the get-go. Spacek finally scored with the shot that got him a three year contract but he still is often out of position.  He can’t handle the speed coming down over the blueline and just tends to lunge at the oncoming forward.

Price looked rock solid and was our best player during the first two periods when the rest of the team couldn’t find their groove.  Andrei looked good, especially in light of the fact that he had to switch lines part way through the game.  Pouliot also had some good shifts as did Hamrlik.

The call on Spacek late in the third was a bad one.  It looked like a good old-fashioned hip check to me.  Another bad call was Martin having Gomez out in the face-off circle when he probably should have gone with Halpern.

A personal gripe, if I may.  The TV time-outs really have a negative impact on the game.  There are too many of them and the time duration is way too long.  My wife rarely attends a hockey game and was in total shock at how many disruptions there are.  Fans at home may utilize the break to do other things, but the fans in the stands are held hostage.  (My wife also commented on how many beautiful women there are at Hab games.  Really, I never noticed:-)

As for tonight, this is a Hab team that was built to utilize their superior skating and speed.  That’s the key starting point if the team hopes to turn around their three game slump.  Step two is the PP but we’ve been there, done that.  Simply stated, Markov needs to find his game in a hurry.

4. avatar_58 says:

“and move on” – says the guy who brings him up every day

5. B says:

Since the teams have not all played the same number of games, those stats would be more meaningful if they were per game rather than just an overall total (especially early on in the season).
    Goals Against–10th .. GA/G–7th
    Total Points—-7th .. P%—12th
    Goals For——20th .. G/G–25th

6. HabsoluteFan says:

I’ve been watching him for a few games. I liked what I saw on Saturday night, was skating very well, made some good plays that went unnoticed because AK didnt finish it off.  If the puck ends up in the net nobody shits on Gomez and people would be talking about the nice play he did on that goal, and about how they wish he keeps it up.  I’ll watch him again tonight and unlike some here, I wish he has a great game so we can talk about something else.

7. NightRyder says:

!!! Man, I wish Gomez would shoot the pug more.

8. Everlasting1 says:

The anchor.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

9. rocketsglare says:

…..or the Habs are due for a blow out loss.

10. habsguy says:

I said a LOGICAL way !!!

11. joeybarrie says:

This PROVES PG is doing a great job…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. SmartDog says:

Ooohhhh!!!  I getcha!

Man, I think they should try that Gomez kid on the 2nd line.  He’s got some wheels! ….Hopefully he figures out how to back-check and stops being so freaking lazy!  And he’s gotta stay in the center and not spend all his time in the corners or behind the net!  And man it pisses me off when he shovels pucks at people who are in traffic just to get rid of it. ….Dang!  I blew it didn’t I.   :P

13. Mattyleg says:

HA!! I actually laughed out loud. I LOL-ed.

I just got the image of Mark Crawford in a pointy hat. Funny.

14. NightRyder says:

I have pointed out 1,000 times that spending a quarter of your salary cap on Gomez and Gionta (second-liners at best) is insanity.

Gomez is terrible and makes the most money. Therefore, he gets the most venom.

Cammalleri is not terrible and will bounce back. No goals in five games is no big deal.

Three goals in 47 is a big deal.

15. Mattyleg says:

Well, now that you put it that way, it certainly sounds much less enjoyable!

(where did I put that knitting needle…)

I will turn around and look at Mr. Puddles every time that Mr. Gomez gets the puck from now on. Thank you so much, NightRyder, for your kind help. It truly is wonderful to know that there are nice young men like yourself out there to tell us what’s what.

Maybe I’ll knit you a tuque with a picture of Wendel Clark on it for your birthday, young man!

16. rocketsglare says:

Most here on HIO want to pin the failures so far of this team on one person. Scott Gomez unfortunately is

that scapegoat. Perhaps Gomez and the other players are no better than a .500 team?

17. SmartDog says:

egg management fee.

18. HFX-HabFan says:

I didn’t know hockey, let alone fun hockey, involved lugging pugs (or any other dogs for that matter).

That Gomez is a jerk!  Lugging pugs around the ice!  Soon he’ll be in Michael Vick territory!

19. SmartDog says:

You’re right.  What’s amazing is the tiny crumbs the Gomerites live off of.  What a pass he made in the second period!  WOW.  It’s like they’re either drugged or so used to defending him they just bloody can’t stop themselves.

Some of them are snapping out of it though.  I put an antidote in the water. :)

20. mrhabby says:

gomez not making 8m ..gomez making 7.5m.

21. ctony says:

Gomez, Gionta, Cammi, Gorges, Markov are all playing below their historical standards  Which means well below their contract expectations.  The question is how does JM get them back on track or for the older guys (Gomez, Markov) is this a newer level of expected performance.  And, if it is, how does this team move forward with  Gomez, Gionta and Cammi on the books for five years or so.

Not so long ago, the Carbo version of the Habs were a team on the rise.  We collapsed, fired the coach and blew up the entire team.  Out went Koivu, Kovi, Tanguay, etc. In came Gill, Mara, Spacek, Gionta, Gomez, Cammi, etc.  If this isn’t the team, how/when do we blow it up?

22. habsguy says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!….finally an intelligent  post about Gomez !!!!

23. NightRyder says:

Eat that contract! Eat that contract!

24. jrshabs1 says:

Of all the underachievers the least expensive gets cut? This sucks!! Boyd has some upside but never got the chance because he was forced to watch other and in some cases way overpaid underachievers from the pressbox. The whole brother Sergy trade stinks! The whole summer of stupid trades stinks!! Looks like another year of we hope we get in on the lastweekend is back, except this year we don’t have #41 standing on his head making us look better than we really are. Stupid summer trades

Go Habs Go!!

25. VintageFan says:

Let them challenge anything – once per game.  If the challenge fails assess a 2-minute penalty and the coach has to wear a pointy hat for the rest of the game.

26. boneheadslanger33 says:

Canucks have won six games in a row and they’re due for a loss… Gionta got one the other night, he’s due for a breakout game… Habs power play has been sucking and tonight’s the night it’s going to come together.  The last time Price faced the Canucks he got a shellacking so he’s going to be ready for this one. Habs are going to win this one

Go Habs go!

27. Mattyleg says:

(I’m trying a different tactic here. Help me out.)

Boy oh boy, I’ve got BIIIIG hopes for that Gomez kid!

(anyone buying it?)

Yessssir, he sure looks like he’ll do well!

28. SmartDog says:

All in a day’s work.

29. NightRyder says:

We’re not going to catch lightning in a bottle again with the current roster.

If your idea of fun hockey is watching Scott Gomez lug the pug throught he neutral zone, swing wide on a defencemen, go behind the net and either lose the puck or fling it wildly out front to no one in particular, then who am I to begrudge you your enjoyment?

Go Scottie Go!

30. Mattyleg says:

Yay!!

I like Hobie Hansen.

31. mike g says:

Uh, yea….

FAIL.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

32. VintageFan says:

I did not say he was something special.  He is the only useful everyday player we have received in return for all of the above.  I’m not bashing Gomez!!! but it is difficult to say that he has been a useful everyday player since his arrival.

The Habs have become a team that makes poor trades, cannot develop young players, and has a ‘system’ that was outdated when the redline was invented.  Migod!  they’ve bcome the Leafs

33. Mattyleg says:

I like the challenge concept. Like in cricket (yes, yes, I know…) each team should have 2 that they can use over the course of the game, regardless of the outcome.

What would it be used for? I would say not penalties, but… we already have technology for determining goals. Is it for when a ref decides not to review something?

34. mjames says:

The GM DID  NOT get us into the conference finals. As a matter of fact Halak did , you remember him, the guy the GM GAVE away.  Your attempt to legitimatize your statements through the use of questionable stats is rather amusing.

mjames

35. NightRyder says:

So you’re saying you wouldn’t trade G&G for the twins?

36. shiram says:

Well maybe if we make 8 million posts about how Gomez sucks right now he would get better? It shouldnt be so bad, we should be halfway there already!

37. Mattyleg says:

Stop posting on here.

It’s irritating and not funny.

38. joeybarrie says:

So what is it that Gomez’ name is in every second post and I cant find AK GION CAMMI to save my life in 1 out of 5 posts???????

WHAT YOU SHOULD BE SAYING IS WHEN THE PLAYER PLAYING WITH GOMEZ HAS THE MOST SHOTS ON THE TEAM AND HE IS ONLY 3% THEN OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH ONE PLAYER.

If you really think ITS OK for GIO to have 4 points and its TERRIBLE for GOMEZ to have 3 then there is something wrong with you.

NO ONE HAS SAID GIO IS SHOOTING LIKE A BLIND MAN….

NO ONE HAS SAID AK CANT SCORE TO SAVE HIS LIFE

NO ONE HAS SAID CAMMI HAS ZERO GOALS IN 5 GAMES AND ITS SO MUCH WORSE THAN GOMEZ WHEN THERE IS ONLY 1.3 MILLION DIFFERENCE IN THEIR CAP SPACE. ESPECIALLY WHEN ONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE 40+ GOAL SCORER AND THE OTHER IS A PASSER.

WHY ONLY GOMEZ??????  WHY ARE WE BEING SO BIASED?????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

39. shiram says:

And now for something completely different :

The nhl is discussions about on-ice challenges by coach? what do you think of this?
    Are the nhl’s zebra so good, we dont need it?
    Will it make games longer and have more long segment of no action?

I think it could be a good idea, the on ice refs, as good as they can be dont always see the action as they need to, and this could help. The technology is in place, why not use it??

40. Mattyleg says:

Goodness me! Well, those numbers certainly don’t lie.

I’m taking my knitting, my bonnet, and hockey flag and I’m going to go wave it somewhere else. There’s nothing that says no-fun hockey than a $12.4M cap hit.

Thank you NightRyder for your wonderful insight. You’ve saved us all.

41. Hobie Hansen says:

D’agastoni has a hat trick, including an empty net goal in the game of his life 3 weeks ago. Everyone picked him up in their hockey pool and dumped him again a few days ago.

Everyone here knows Gomez ins’t worth the money already OK!!! We’re stuck with him! The only thing we can do is hope that he at least gets back to the 65 point season range and live with it. There’s no trade coming and I think the Habs are a long way from sending him down to Hamilton and eating his contract. All you can say for now is GO GOMEZ GO because he’s here to stay!

Lets Move On…

42. shiram says:

how can anyone enjoy such negativity?

43. HFX-HabFan says:

Current NHLers only.  Don’t forget Peca, Nedved, or Larionov either!

44. mjames says:

You make a very valid argument.

mjames

45. Say Ash says:

Yes, but those alien twins are on the golf course when G & G are still doing what they’re paid to do.

46. NightRyder says:

Luongo’s cap hit is $5.3M for the next million years thanks very much.

When they figure out Schneider is better, they’ll probably trade him to us for Price, then we’ll have Gomez, Gionta and Luongo forever and ever.

47. joeybarrie says:

Grabs went behind the teams back to meet with his agent when he wasn’t played as a rookie…. Didn’t get along with AK or SK…

SK 3 points in 9 games…. YUP MISSING HIM BIG TIME.

MOORE….. We took a cheaper version in Halpern. Didn’t cost us anything, and we gained 600k in cap space. Halpern is one of our leading scorers (10 pts) Moore has 5 points.  Halpern is making our PK the best in the league, and is our highest face off man……..

Halak’s backup just got a shut out.   We got Schultz.  What was Halak doing when he was 21???????? Letting in 3 goals per game and averaging just above .900 in 16 games with the Habs…. GIVE HIM TIME.

This last one is a JOKE…… McDonagh Valentenko and Higging have combined for a total of 20 points in the last 2 years.  THE THREE combined for a total of 79 Games in the last 2 years…. WE HAVE GOTTEN 183 games out of the two so far. Gomez was a big part of our playoff run.

You can’t really say the moves made by a GM who got us into the Conf Finals and are currently leading our division and 3rd in the East did a BAD job……….. THATS JUST PLAIN STUPID.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

48. shiram says:

Well, it’s hockey, and anything can happen, and thats why i will be watching tonight.

49. habsguy says:

1.  I would sooner have nothing than Grabo, BTW didn’t he JUST get his 1st goal the other night?  good trade!!!

2.  Dags may yet turn into a good player (although he was giving more than a good chance to do that with the Habs)  from what I’ve read and heard Palushaj is going to be a good player,  the jusy is still out on that one!

3.  SK, gimme a break, if you would sooner have SK on your team than the nothing we got in return, then your whole post is laughable !

4.  Moore,  I liked him in the playoffs last year,  but how many moores can one team have,  and we have Halpern now,  that ones a push.

5.  I’ll give you this one,  Halak is aweome………..Carey is playing well, and I can’t wait to see Eller by the end of the year, if JM uses him the way he should be used!

6.  This could be the bad one,  especially if McDouagh and Valentenko pan out,  Higgins,  who cares!!

50. ctony says:

Hey Dawg – a tough question for you. Coming off three major injuries and not playing (at the moment) to his potential, would you like to sign Markov to a long term contract at the end of the year?  If not, would you trade him before he comes a UFA?  What do you think we could get?

51. hasboon says:

dunno if you add retired players but you missed a few big name guys if you do

no pavel bure?

cam neely?

trevor linden?

52. lenny says:

scary when you put it that way…yikes!

53. Say Ash says:

Based on all the panic comments here of late, we’ll win. The ‘Nucks are as hot as our powerplay is cold but it doesn’t last forever. A lot of our players are due for a breakout.

Fearless prediction: Gomez gets a point tonight!

54. ctony says:

No way.  We could have kept Halak with some tough decisions.  Winners make their name when the going gets tough.  PG bailed.  Pouliot could have been resigned for $500k less than we gave him as a RFA.  We didn’t have to sign Boyd (save $600k).  Those two plus Auld’s $1m, puts us close to Halak’s numbers.

If our GM really believed that Halak was a keep, he could have cut Spacek – who is finished, or made some moves at the bottom of the roster (promote White, demote Laps), drop OB since he doesn’t play and doesn’t have JM’s confidence.

PG didn’t believe Halak was the real deal or he wouldn’t have traded him for Eller and Schultz.  And he didn’t seem to create a competitive market for Halak (admittedly this is speculative), evidenced by a lack of media discussion about possible destinations prior to the deal.

55. lenny says:

some Q&A’S for tonight game…

1. will Gomez get a point tonight?

2. will Spacek get clearly beaten at least twice tonight

3. Will the power play go 0 for again

4. Will the Darche Halpern and Pouiliot line be the hardest working one tonight

5. Will OB get benched again tonight

6 Will JM juggle the line so much that players will have no idea whats going on

7. Will Eller make one small rookie mistake and get benched?

enjoy!

56. mike g says:

Ok, give it up….

Please, it’s old news.

They have a big jabrone in nets costing them $7 mill per year, for the next dozen years. I’d have more confidence in Price if I was the Canucks.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

57. NightRyder says:

Why are you connecting so many dots?

Three goals in 47 games in Scott Gomez’s fault, no?

No one said anywhere that the production of others doesn’t need to improve.

We’re just saying he’s terrible.

58. Mark C says:

Did you see that sweet tip-in by Zetterberg in OT last night?

59. Hagar says:

You always bring a smile to my face SD :)

60. NightRyder says:

In the MONEY WELL-SPENT category, we have this ahead of tonight’s game:

Montreal: Gomez-Gionta, $12.4M cap hit.

Vancouver: Sedins, $12.2M cap hit.

61. dhenry1234 says:

people stop bitching, half of you sound like whiny leaf fans. let’s watch some hockey and guess what everyone! If the habs lose tonight, then life will still go on tomorrow! :O

62. SmartDog says:

You’d think they’d at least shave differently.  I mean, help us out here.

Gomez just looks like a prospect because he’s small and makes lots of mistakes.

63. samTHEman says:

Anyone else feel we are going to get RAPED tonight? Oh boy….let’s hope Luongo has one of those bad nights where he lets in 6 goals. Can the Canadiens score 6 goals? Wait what’s a goal?

64. NightRyder says:

Doggie, you and I have been beating this drum for a long time. Despite the continued putrid production, I am astounding that he isn’t more of a whipping boy.

The folks here cannibalize anything and everything, yet this unproductive pud seems to get a free pass. He’ll get two assists tonight in a 5-2 loss or something, and the masses will flock back here with the “See? See? Gomez is the man” posts.

Time for Sneaky Pete to eat a giant contract.

65. ctony says:

If you can’t afford both (bad cap management), or don’t want to keep two young goalies (a legit consideration) than you have to make a trade that nets fair value.  Look at my post about fair value using Luongo’s two trades.  Even by the impossibly low Mike Milbury standards we didn’t do well.

If we want a winner, we have to hold our executives to a higher standard and hold them accountable.  Bad trades, lack of vision, poor drafting, poor development, poor cap management don’t result in long term winning.

66. Mark C says:

Why do you hate Gomez so much? Also, why do you keep using the same lame cherry picked playoffs stats to make your point?

He’s had more than 20 goals in a season once; the fact that he scored 2 goals in 19 games tells us nothing about how he was playing. Cammalleri and Gionta were also minus 6, the fact that Gomez was too means little. Why don’t you mention that Gomez was 3rd in points on the team? Josh Gorges didn’t score a goal and was minus 4, he must stink too right?

I get that Gomez is playing poorly right now, but can’t us readers at least get factual and relative reasons and stats why he stinks.

67. SmartDog says:

What’s that?  About .2 points per game?  By year’s end Gomez should have 15-20 points.  Awesome!

68. NightRyder says:

I would never, ever cheer against Gomez to do well when he has the Habs crest on the front of his jersey.

And I do have a logical way of getting rid of Gomez and his contract – it’s called eating it and sending him to the minors. The team is flush with cash, now flush Gomez.

69. SmartDog says:

Gomez stinks.  He just plain stinks.

I’m tired of this “it’s not his job to score goals” BS.   Yeah, what we REEEEAAALLLYYY need is a non-scoring 8 million dollar 3rd line center.  Because that’s what he is.  EXACTLY what he is.   It’s ridiculous to defend him.  Let’s just all agree he’s a washed-up total waste of a sweater and move on.

70. ctony says:

There isn’t much to go on, because GM don’t trade young
    starting goalies unless they’re Mike Milbury.
    Luongo comes to mind.  He had two
    young goalies – Luongo and DiPietro – and felt compelled to give one away.

At that point, Luongo had played 24 regular season games,
    none in the playoffs; went 7-14 and had a 3.25 GAA.  Nothing to write home about. Milbury packaged
    him with Jokinen.  The number 3 pick two
    years earlier who had underachieved during one season with NYI and one with the
    LA Kings.   Milbury got back relative garbage.  Oleg Kvasha, nothing special in two years
    with Florida and Mark Parrish, then an emerging power forward in his first two
    NHL seasons.  So, even getting fleeced,
    Milbury picked up two young NHL players for a top pick with no track record.

By this standard, PG didn’t fare well.  But wait, it gets worse.

Six years later, Luongo was traded again.  This time he was an established starter playing
    with a bad Florida team – coached by JACQUES MARTIN.  Florida got Bertuzzi a stellar power forward (at
    the time), Bryan Allen (the fourth overall pick with one NHL season) and (holy
    crap) ALEX AULD.  Vancouver gave up great
    value and still won this trade.   As a side note, maybe Jacques orchestrated this
    deal????

I would argue that Halak’s playoffs made him more marketable
    than Luongo who had never played in the playoff.

PG got back Eller with 7 games of NHL experience and
    Schultz.

I think this discussion about FAIR VALUE FOR GOALIES is
    OVER!!!!  We got KILLED on a historical
    level. PG should have been fired for this alone.  And, before I get blasted for the
    aforementioned.  This is not a knock on
    Carey Price.  It is meant to point that
    we didn’t get back enough for a young starting goalie with a solid track
    record.

71. joeybarrie says:

Were you EVEN aware that our TOP SCORER AK hasnt scored in 6 games????????

What was the excuse for the other 5 games he played with Pleks??????????????

DID GOMEZ PULL THE SUN DOWN AND FLASH IT IN HIS EYES????????????

SO FRICKEN STUPID….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

72. Mattyleg says:

Wow, the Sedin Sisters truly are creepy. See how their knees were touching as they sat next to each other?

Euchhh…

I hear there’s a player on the Canadiens called Scott Gomez. He seems like a good young prospect. Let’s get behind him and hope he gets his game together!

73. SmartDog says:

So Moore, Dags, Lats, all have as many or more goals THIS YEAR than Gomez in over his last half-year worth of games.  Money well spent Bob, money well spent!!

74. joeybarrie says:

Its funny AGAIN…..  ALL GOMEZ’ FAULT.

HERE ARE THE THINGS TO DATE THAT ARE ALL THE FAULT OF SCOTT GOMEZ……….

Cammalleri 0 goals and only 2 assists in the last 6 games. (why isn’t Gomez giving his the puck???)

AK ZERO points in the last 5 games. (Why is Gomez telling AK not to score)

GIONTA’s league bottom 3% shooting percentage. (stupid Gomez messing with Gio’s sticks)

Not having a proper linemate on the 2nd line. (stupid Gomez and his constant juggling)

Pleks 47% in faceoffs. (stupid Gomez, distracting Pleks during faceoffs)

Powerplay is really lacking goals. (stupid Gomez telling the guys to WAIT till he gets on the ice to score)

PK Subban lack of goals, despite his 39 shots from his spot. (stupid Gomez telling him if he shoots wide he has a better chance of scoring)

What really gets me frustrated are people who blame the entire world on Gomez. The last few games he has been playing well. But they are not producing. Its not just Gomez. FOR GOD SAKE HAS IT ESCAPED YOU THAT OUR TOP TWO LINES HAVE A COMBINED THREE GOALS IN THE LAST FIVE GAMES????

Where is your excuse for AK????????????

Where is your excuse for CAMMALLERI?????????????????

Where is your excuse for GIONTA???????????????

WHERE IS YOUR EXCUSE FOR PK SUBBAN??????????

WHERE IS YOUR EXCUSE FOR MARKOV????????????

OUR BEST POINT PRODUCTION FROM OUR DEFENSE IS JOSH GORGES………………….

Honestly people are being so fricken stupid when it comes to this team. CLUELESS….. BLAME GOMEZ, he isnt producing. IT casts such a huge shadow that 35 million dollars of other players have contributed for ZERO goals in 5 games……………….

These are players who together contributed to 1.5 goals per game last season…… We are missing 7 goals from them in the last 5 games, BUT OBVIOUSLY THIS IS THE FAULT OF SCOTT F GOMEZ< CAUSE THE ALASKAN SUN HAS SET FOR THE WINTER AND IT TAKES DOWN OUR TOP TWO LINES AND TOP 2 DEFENSIVE PAIRING WITH IT………………….

OH MY GOD WAKE UP TO REALITY ALL OF YOU PLEASE…………

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

75. NightRyder says:

I’m on board now. Henrik Sedin doesn’t score that many goals either.

I should compare Gomez to him really, the playmaking centre type, right?

Sedin: $6.1 million cap hit. 112 points last year.

Not quite TWICE as many points as Gomez and his $7.4M cap hit.

This year, he’s only got two goals and only FIVE times as many points as Gomez.

So, Gomez is still pretty good value, no?

76. Mattyleg says:

I think putting Gill together with PK would be good. Sub’s speed can make up for when Gill pinches (shudder!), and when PK goes up, Gill’s got the back door.

Picard and Gorges would be good too, with Pic getting some tips from Josh.

Hammer n’ Marky looks like a good idea.

77. SmartDog says:

Have to be careful who you associate with.

Dumbass!

78. Habs Fan in LeafLand says:

Boyd is expendable even if it sort of makes Gauthier look like he doesn’t know what he’s doing…but I’m ready to give him the benefit of the doubt…for now.

As for the Eller trade, this needs time folks. Jaro is playing great, but we all know he can’t keep up this pace all season. Eller needs time but it’ll come.

79. Antho says:

no max pac made had a media interview indirectly saying that JM does not know how to develop youngsters check it out on the habs official website

80. ctony says:

Hal can get caught up ice 20 feet from his net.  But you’re on the mark pairing him with Subban

81. Antho says:

Eller will not succeed under this system. He is a top 6 player and is being turned into a grinder

MaxPac’s media address says everything about youth in our team

Notice subbans last performace?

You’re confusing MaxPac with Dag’s right, cuz when you said our team you were talking about the Blues?

Eller-Plex-AK46

Gionta-Gomez-Cammy

Pouliot-Halpern-Darche

Laps/Pyatt-Maxwell-Moen

Hammer-Markov

PK-Picard

Gill-Gorges

84. Kristopher7 says:

I’m glad the mods are on the ball today. The anti-gay comments were sickening.

85. TripleX says:

Those are the lines I had in mind for a while, makes a lot of sense.

On D, I would rather have Markov with O’Byrne and rest Hammer for a few games.  Rotate the older D for rest periods when they look tired.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

Hmm. I forgot about OBI-wan. I can see that. Problem is that’s about 9 million on the bench with Hammer and Spacecake sitting. But I still like it. I really think the D needs to be rotated. That way they can play intensely every game.

87. lenny says:

The jury is still out on AK’s breakout year, lets see where he’s at in Jan/Feb.

The Halak/Eller deal is not looking that great. Eller will be a fine player, but moving Halak so early was simply stupid. At the very least we should have gotten a pick as well…

If putting Boyd on waivers is an indication of a trade, then please package the deal with one of the dinasours on the team and free up some much needed cap space.

88. Jordio-oh says:

Yeah I’m starting to lean in your direction as well. I get tired of watching Spacek and Hammer huff and puff up and down the ice after the puck. Plus I wouldn’t mind seeing O’Byrne back in action. Mostly for the sake of change, if nothing else.

89. Bugs says:

I see I was victim of deletion by association.

That’s always fun. Seeing your genius go by the wayside cuz of some goofball come to spoil the fun with stupidities, yes, very fun.

Excellent system.

Pah!

Spuriously furious, I swear as

90. Mattyleg says:

Lenny, please. Really.

Stop banging that drum.

I’m willing to discuss AK, but that other stuff… move on, bud.

We have the team we have. There will be no ‘packaging of dinosaurs’.

Support the team you have, or go watch curling.

91. sillywalk says:

Yeah, he does that all the time. If you mention Halak, it’s an automatic dig at Price. Weird.

92. punkster says:

Oh this isn’t a complete list of all the beefs and whines on the site, only a short list of the most commonly mentioned complaints that can be addressed. No do-overs. So how would answer my 3 questions?

93. NightRyder says:

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Gomez; old d-men; others merely annoying, not a pressing issue.

94. joeybarrie says:

Agreed, Sedin is a truly great player. But we are measuring all of our players (it seems) strictly on GOAL production. Funny how Gomer has MORE GOALS. My only point in this is that there are more than ONE type of player in the league.

Players like Adam Oates have RARELY scored more than 20 goals a season. But no one would doubt they are among some of the best players EVER.

Gomez is 150 assists short of making the top 50 NHL Assist Leaders EVER.

Gomez is pacing MUCH higher than most of them right now.  Look at DOUG WEIGHT. He was being paid 9 million for 3 seasons in 2001-2004. He didn’t have more than 15 goals a season… His Cap hit WOULD have been 8.75 million.

ALWAYS with the goals goals goals….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

95. joeybarrie says:

Doug Weight hasnt done it in NINE years.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

96. NightRyder says:

You’re not sure three goals in 47 games is a problem at all?

Three points in 14 games isn’t a problem at all?

That would be a problem at Mathieu Darche’s salary, let alone Gomez’s.

97. NightRyder says:

Now, now. Finding homoerotic meaning where there is none casts you in a rather unflattering light. Was Christian Ruuttu your favourite player?

98. mike g says:

Lol..

Just having some fun at work..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

99. mike g says:

“I’ll jump on that hook”….

In a blogging room like HIO, filled with a bunch of men, using phrases like that makes my eyes rain.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

100. joeybarrie says:

Its funny. NO WHERE in that post did you mention goals EXCEPT for when your argument turned AGAINST Gomez.

Let me tell you the way Gomez is better than Sedin… Gomez averages 17 goals per season and Sedin averages 15…..

Its really funny how GOALS are SO IMPORTANT when we are arguing AGAINST Gomez…

Gomez has MORE goals than Sedin

Gomez has MORE assists than Sedin

Gomez has MORE points than Sedin

Gomez has MORE STANLEY CUPS than Sedin

YET clearly Sedin brings so much more.

I wont say Sedin isnt a great player, I wont say he isnt better than Gomez. What I will say is this, GOMEZ IS NOT A GOAL SCORER. So when you argue about him, don’t make him a goal scorer. We don’t argue that PK has ZERO GOALS…. We don’t argue that MIKE RIBEIRO is the worst player in the NHL…. HE HAS ZERO GOALS…Krejci wasnt a waste because he has the same amount of goals as GOMEZ… HAVLAT is useless… LESS goals than Gomez…..JASON SPEZZA JUST PLAIN SUCKS, same goals as Gomez……GRABOVSKI LESS GOALS THAN GOMEZ…..LANGENBRUNNER, IGINLA, ELIAS, PATRICE BERGERON, ZAJAC, GIONTA, ETC ETC ETC

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

101. Harani says:

Scratch that!

102. SeriousFan09 says:

Please don’t antagonize the trolls, I know you’re just mucking with them a bit (or at least I hope you are) but the last 3 seasons between the two forwards has shown a steady rise in production for one and a general under-production for the other on contract.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

103. joeybarrie says:

So ridiculous that people think H. Sedin is one of the best players in the NHL and is being paid way too little.

H. SEDIN   10 seasons in the NHL. Averages 15 goals a season. With one big season of 29.

S. GOMEZ  11 seasons in the NHL. Averages 17 goals a season. With one big season of 33.

H SEDIN 632 career points.

S. GOMEZ 735 career points.

HOW IS THE GOMEZ CONTRACT LOOKING NOW????

Be Careful…. IM FISHING…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

104. NightRyder says:

I’ll jump on that hook. Sedin is the reigning Hart Trophy and Art Ross Trophy winner and a first-team all-star.

He had almost twice as many points as Gomez last year. He has five times as many points as Gomez this year.

His assist total alone last year is one point off Gomez’s career high in points.

In the last five years, he has averaged 85.2 points a year and NEVER missed a game. He is also a plus 93 in that time. He has 51 goals and 194 in the last two years and is clearly getting better. He has 24 points in 22 playoff games in the last two years.

Gomez in the same time period has averaged 66 points per year and is a plus 17. He has 57 goals in the last FOUR years and 117 points in the last two years and is clearly not getting better. Gomez has 19 points in 26 playoff games the last two years.

In every single way, Sedin is significantly better and the difference in their cap hits alone could have have paid for a decent third-liner or depth defenceman for us.

Gomez will continue his downward spiral and suck up our salary cap for years, while Sedin will earn his contract and perhaps even another.

105. sCOTT1243 says:

Wow, second place in their division and alot of you are still knocking the team.  comon could be worse you could be a Leafs fan ;)

Let’s all just enjoy the fact that our team, although not running on all cylinders are doing just fine right now.

Couple comments…

- Ya Gomez passes too much and is struggling, oh well it happens, he’s not going anywhere so hang in there.  He’ll be an asset to this team.

- Halak gone, get over it, Price is our man, let’s give him the props he deserves.  Many of the goals scored on him this year have been tip shots, or simply the D having their head up their a**.  Realistically he has made the big saves to keep this team in the game.

-  My only wish is to get Cammy, Plecs and AK back together asap.  I guess it worked because Gionta finally scored so let’s get that line back to gether.

-  Subban will be one heck of an NHLer.  Lapierre adios.  Eller will be fine.

-  Habs get tough!  If someone hits Price, drop the gloves, show other teams we’re not going to take that crap.  How many times has Price been bumped and everyone seems to want to talk it out with the offending player.  Take the 2 minutes our PK is excellent.

-  Finally, quit DUMPING the puck.  Carry it in, make a play, comon Martin, remind these guys that they have trouble winning the puck along the boards due to their size.

Over and out, Go Habs Go!

106. HabsoluteFan says:

I say keep Gionta with Pleks, that line could be dynamite with Cammalleri.  Keep AK with Gomez, he’ll see more of the puck than on Pleks/Cammy line because Gomez will prefer giving him the puck than looking for Lapierre.

Looking forward to the game, the Habs will get up for this one

107. jrshabs1 says:

Thanks for your input Pierre. Now get back to work and use your giant brain to figure how you are going to make this team a Stanley Cup contender.

Go Habs Go!!

108. cdnred17 says:

To all you whiners, cryers, and flat-out boneheads, I dedicate this song to you. Honestly, it is so clear how people are blinded by the WIN-LOSE measure of success, no one realizes how difficult and how wicked-intelligent you have to be to be a GM in the NHL this year. Yes, some do it better, some worse. Yes, Montreal has struggled of late. But do people realize how few people are actually qualified to do this job? Go read the “CBA for Dummies” and enjoy feeling like a real numbnut because the ACTUAL CBA is even MORE complicated.

Easy answer for all you guys: allow the Habs to bottom out like the Pens, Caps and ‘Hawks so they can draft higher and build over. Whoops, not ready to do that? Then go look in the mirror and sing this song to yourself:

What’s-a matter you, hey, gotta no respect
    What-a you t’ink you do, why you look-a so sad
    It’s-a not so bad, it’s-a nice-a place
    Ah, shaddap you face

Ah, shaddap you face

Ah, shaddap you face

109. NightRyder says:

You forgot the why’d you trade Halak for dog dung?

All the ranting we do during the season amounts to squat diddly. If the team can get into the dance, even at the No. 8 slot, that’s all that matters. Maybe we’ll get hot again at the right time, who knows?

The rest of this is just for fun.

Except the Gomez stuff. He sucks.

110. punkster says:

Hang in there. I have 3 questions (SmartDog style) below for you to answer.

I reviewed the comments from the past few days and made a list of the common complaints. Many have been identified with absolute certainty as the most important problems that need to be fixed.

• Gomez not scoring, disinterested, lazy, sloppy
    • Gionta not scoring, in a fog
    • Cammellari floating, not focused
    • Pouliot, misses the net, falls down all the time
    • Moen, not a top 6, should be kept on the bottom 6
    • Eller, not NHL ready, should be in Hamilton
    • Darche, only here because of his name
    • Lapierre, only here because of his name
    • Markov, over the hill, injury-prone
    • Spacek, too old
    • Hamrlik, too old
    • Gill, too old
    • O’Byrne, not an NHL caliber player
    • Martin a bad coach
    • Gauthier is a bad GM
    • Molson is a bad owner
    • We should call up Pacioretty, Henry, Weber, Desharnais, and a few others (preferably with NAG)

In other words at least half the team should be blown up, traded, sent down, bought out or press-boxed, coaches, management and ownership changed.

Here are 3 questions for you:

1) Is improvement possible with the current roster and management?

2) Does a wholesale change guarantee improvement?

3) Which of these problems would you rank as the top 3 that if resolved would benefit the team the most?

111. RiverviewCanadien says:

1. Yes, we have all seen what these guys are capable of.
    2. No
    3. My number 1 issue I have with the team that NEEDS to be FIXED….the PP. That would benefit the team the most right now

112. SensFanSpezza says:

1. Yes.  Unless the team is under some kind of curse, the scorers will start scoring.  Rotate the Ds once in a while and get some youth in ther and they’ll be fine.

2. Depends.  If you wholesale changed Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri for Toews, Kane and Sharp, yup.

3. The number one problem isn’t on your list, but it’s the PP, and that can be resolved by Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri getting their collective heads out of their collective asses and scoring some goals.  Number two problem is old, tired defencemen.  That will be resolved with time because Martin will never bench them, but two of them will be gone next year.  The third problem is also not on your list, but it’s the lazy ass fourth line.  They’re not paid to score goals, but they are paid to bang around and make some noise.  They’re too damn quiet.

113. Propwash says:

1. The roster is fine, just not producing. 2, There is nobody out there that can improve the Habs without any insane videogame-like trades. 3, the first 3 names on your list needs to get some goal scoring happening, and everything will be peachy.

Boy, do you ever have lots of time on your hands. Go somewhere warm, play some golf… based on your own assessment you game could use some working on :)

I will answer your questions though cause well… I need a different job.

1) It is possible but not probable

2) It does not and if the wholesale is done by Bob or PG it will be the same crap all over

3) GM and coach replaced with COMPETANT and focused on winning hockey people, not buddy of the buddy who I knew back when in ottawa and he’s a good guy he does what i tell him to do.

115. SmartDog says:

I was going to lecture you on having such a long lead-in.  :)  But these are good questions!  And constructive!

1. Improvement is possible, but probably not under Martin IMHO.  Hell, our Power Play alone HAS to improve.  But I’m losing faith in Martin.  He does the standard things with his eyes closed ignoring what’s really happening with the players and team.

2. Of course not.

3. This is an excellent question. I narrowed it to these IMHO having SOME important truth:

• Gomez not scoring, disinterested, lazy, sloppy
    • Moen, not a top 6, should be kept on the bottom 6
    • Lapierre, only here because of his name (not only here for his name but he’s sucking big time)
    • Spacek, too old
    • Martin a bad coach
    • Gauthier is a bad GM

I’d say the top 3 are:

• 1. Martin a bad coach – the buck stops here
    • 2. Gauthier is a bad GM – or here
    • 3. Gomez not scoring, disinterested, lazy, sloppy – biggest gap in expectation/pay and performance

1. Martin isn’t “stink up the joint” bad.  But he’s yesterday’s man.  He dropped Markov back in and shuffled everyone around but should have known Marky would take some time to adjust and our D has gone from good to bumbling.  He finally deals with the Gomer line by breaking up our first line?  HUH??  He’s of course a very smart guy making a lot of smart decisions.  But the dumb ones are really dumb and will keep this team from succeeding unless Price turns into Halak come playoff time.

2. Gauthier also is not a BAAADDD GM. He’s like Martin.  He’s okay. But he wont’ REALLY solve the problems of the team. But mediocre is death at this level.

3. Gomez not scoring.  I didn’t put him here just because he’s the only problem on the team – and notice he’s THIRD. But the gap between what he shoudl be doing and what he is doing is biggest. In terms of numbers, leadership, and – from what I saw Saturday – effort.  I’d put Laps as a big problem too – his whole line.  But then again, that’s a Martin problem really isn’t it?

SD

116. joeybarrie says:

I know, I know, I am only making things worse by beating this dead horse. BUT…. I hjave not gotten a SINGLE answer for this question so I must post it again. I see all the hate in the world for one particular player, but nothing for the rest. So here it goes again.

What really gets me frustrated are people who blame the entire world
    on Gomez. The last few games he has been playing well. But they are not
    producing. Its not just Gomez. FOR GOD SAKE HAS IT ESCAPED YOU THAT OUR
    TOP TWO LINES HAVE A COMBINED THREE GOALS IN THE LAST FIVE GAMES????

Where is your excuse for AK????????????

Where is your excuse for CAMMALLERI?????????????????

Where is your excuse for GIONTA???????????????

WHERE IS YOUR EXCUSE FOR PK SUBBAN??????????

WHERE IS YOUR EXCUSE FOR MARKOV????????????

OUR BEST POINT PRODUCTION FROM OUR DEFENSE IS JOSH GORGES………………….

Honestly
    people are being so fricken stupid when it comes to this team.
    CLUELESS….. BLAME GOMEZ, he isnt producing. IT casts such a huge
    shadow that 35 million dollars of other players have contributed for ONE goal in 5 games……………….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

117. NightRyder says:

Gomez will continue to blow goats. The others won’t.

Anything else I can help you with?

118. JF says:

I wish you wouldn’t use caps so much – it’s just tedious to read.  But in general I agree that Gomez is not our biggest problem.  I’m not sure he’s a problem at all (other than his contract of course).  Markov and Cammalleri were our worst players last game. Markov is obviously not in game shape, so I won’t be blaming him for a couple of weeks, but Cammy needs to step it up.  He’s missing the net, making bad passes, rushing his plays, and last game he took a needless penalty.  The defence also needs to start contributing more, but I think it would help if JM went back to something like the pairings he had earlier.  He should also use Picard more, and even O’Byrne.

119. Seps says:

would you rather have Rick Nash or Gomez?   there getting the same amount of money…   how about Zetterberg who gets about 2.5 million less than Gomez or Patty Kane who gets .5 million less…  Thats why everyone is so upset, we’re Gomez’s contract away from being an elite team.

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

120. RiverviewCanadien says:

Wow, things are getting heated here today.

There are a number of players not producing as they should. Some of those players are the ones the Habs are COUNTING on in getting points and some are highly paid.

The surprising thing is we are getting production from the PhD line, if both top lines start AND the PhD continues, the Habs are going to start winning ALOT of games. For now, as a fan, I will not single out one person, no matter the contract. I like this team, and I believe this team can win.

The one thing I want the Habs to start doing, is scoring on the PP, so many games have gone by with LOTS of chances, and had they converted on one or two, the Habs would win…They avg almost 2.5 gpg, and have not allowed more than 3 gpg. The PP is the problem, once that is fixed, the Cheerleaders will be back

Lets stop being so On/Off here, it is so frustrating at times, maybe that is why I spend less and less time here in HIO world…

121. Mr.Hazard says:

Duhamel says he’s gonna buy Canadiens season tickets.

122. SensFanSpezza says:

Good thing he’ll have about a hundred grand left after Quebec taxes.

123. fbkj says:

thats a lot of scratch he won BUT the waiting list for season tickets is redonk

124. ctony says:

Florida (while Martin was coach) traded  Lunongo to Vancouver for Bertuzzi (a premiere power forward at the time), Bryan Allen (forth pick overall with one full NHL season), and Alex Auld (hmmmmmm).  Luongo hadn’t played in the playoffs but was a young, starting goalie with potential.

So, yeah, if I need a top flight goalie, I would expect to start with Subban and keep giving.

125. ctony says:

WTF are you talking about???  Name a better goalie traded in the last decade and see what he fetched.

Hell, even Milbury got better value trading Luongo (two young NHL players).  Boston got better value trading Ranford one disastrous season removed from being an All-Star, they got Tukka Rask (“the best goalie not playing in the NHL”).

And, why do we keep using the St. Louis farm system as our only choices for Halak?  Were no other teams interested?  Did PG create a market?  Did we HAVE TO TRADE HALAK????

126. ctony says:

Don’t worry about it.  You won the bet.  Teams don’t trade franchise goalies.  those that trade anything close (Vokoun, Luongo, etc.) get back much more than we got back.  It’s not an indictment of Price.  It’s a indictment of poor management. Gauthier is over matched by the realties of being a GM in the post-lock out era.   You don’t make impetuous moves with high value assets.  Houle was fired for trading Roy and got much more back than Eller.

Logic and fact is lost on this crowd, who blindly follow the thoughtless blogs and comments of people who have never managed anything in their lives.

127. observer says:

That’s why after near 30 years in the NHL fired twice before because he was a terrible GM, Gautier in those near 30 years has never been with a single NHL team who even got as far as the Stanley Cup finals in any year he still was with them. A man of such lowly credentials given the reins here with a formerly class franchise. Absolutely disgusting!

128. SeriousFan09 says:

Clay, I’m not sure why I have to keep explaining this to my elders who have been watching the game far longer than I have. Please name me the last time a goaltender was swapped for a star forward, come on, I’m a patient man.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

129. Mark C says:

This writer really thought a RFA goalie, which had only been playing at an elite level for 45 or so games, could reasonable fetch a return of a top-10 prospect in Pietrangelo? I’m going to start blaming PG for not trading Halak for Taylor Hall.

All kidding aside, would anyone trade P.K. Subban for Halak?

130. Clay4bc says:

Love the condescending tone, Rob. Nice touch.

To answer your question…

1st round pick in 2008
    2nd round pick in 2007
    conditional 2nd in 2007 or 2008

That’s what Florida got for Tomas Vokoun. Not a star forward, but fair value, which is all I ask.

But, you asked for a star forward, so here’s an example…

Brad Richards (and another player) was traded for Mike Smith, our own Jeff Halpern, and another player. Good deal there…and Richards is certainly a star.

Bertuzzi was at the time a star forward – or at least only a long suspension removed from being one – and was traded for Luongo. Who knew Big Bert was washed up?

But other than Roy and now Halak, when was a true star goalie traded away? Certainly not in your lifetime. Not even in mine. And if we couldn’t get full value, then why trade him?

And since you clearly lost this bet, will you now relent?

Like every single hockey writer and commenter – and fan – has said, save a very few, this was a bad trade for the Habs. And the quality of this trade has nothing to do with Price. It has to do with poor asset management, and thus poor management.

__________________________

Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.

– Bertrand Russell

131. Clay4bc says:

You do realize that the writer was a Blues writer, not a Habs writer?

__________________________

– Bertrand Russell

132. Mark C says:

Yes, but how does that matter?

It is asinine, given the recent history of goalie trades, to even suggest Halak could have been traded for a top-10 NHL prospect.

133. SeriousFan09 says:

Is a 1st-round pick a guarantee of anything? Montreal got an actual player selected in the 1st round in Eller and a 3rd-round selected forward. That is close to being the same trade except that the Canadiens got actual assets and Vokoun had far wider RS credentials in a tougher Western Conference.

Smith was part of a multi-player deal, I was speaking to an example of when a goalie not a group of players was dealt for value by himself, Jussi Jokinen and Jeff Halpern were in that deal and Halpern was a better player at the time as well.

Bertuzzi was two years and a long suspension removed from real star player stats and it was widely considered he was not the same man after the Moore incident, VAN wanted him out and they managed to yank Florida’s chain to do it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

134. Clay4bc says:

You just can’t take losing an argument, can you?

I gave at least 2 examples of fair value (Bert aside), and you try to make excuses. Just admit – for once in your life – that you’re wrong.

__________________________

– Bertrand Russell

135. SeriousFan09 says:

Except Vokoun was basically the same deal, 1st rounder and 2nd rounder (conditional aside) versus a 1st and 3rd-round selected players for a goalie who to that point, had a lot more RS credentials and let’s not forget that market dictates value and this summer proved no one is really sold that “Star” goaltending is that valuable, Vezina winners and 6-million dollar men were on the golf course pretty fast this past post-season.

Richards wasn’t traded just for Smith either, there were other assets in the deal so it was not in fact, a straight-up deal, one for the other. I asked for an example of a goalie by himself or with basic throw-ins added on to him that brought in good value.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

136. Clay4bc says:

You are not a man of your word…fair enough.

Goodnight.

__________________________

– Bertrand Russell

137. fbkj says:

considering we dont get taxed on gambling winnings this zinger is instafail :)

138. SeriousFan09 says:

Why not…

AK-Pleks-Gionta

Cammalleri – Gomez – Pouliot

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

139. HabsoluteFan says:

I’d rather see Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta / AK-Gomez-Pouliot…Anyway, I’d just like to see Pouliot up there, I think he has potential

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What ? your tires are flat? Friggin Gomez must’ve sliced them

What ? your dog ran away ? Gomez must’ve cut the chain

What ? you lost your homework ? Gomez ate it

I am thinking that this is indeed how JM decides on his lines.

“Let’s see here… hmm… why not… Moen, Gomez, Pleks. Or no… wait, here is a better one. I don’t think I’ve tried that one before. Why not AK, Gill, Auld. Yeah, that will be dynamite first line. I shall keep it together for 2 shifts.”

141. Mattyleg says:

I like that!

142. mike g says:

Agreed….

Pouliot should be playing top 6, not Lapierre, Moen or Pyatt.

And what do you think of Eller, ROb?

Hamilton or MTL?

And btw, it’s 2 straight games JVR is a scratch. Rumors of him getting sent back down to the AHL. PG should be calling Holmgren every 2 minutes and try get that Americano onto our roster asap.

Even if it costs us a 1st rounder.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

143. lenny says:

How about

CAMMI-HALPERN-GIO

AK-PLEKS-DARCH

LAPPY-GOMEZ-POULIOT

ETC…

I don’t get this. Eller looked pretty good paired with Plex and AK46. Laps with G&G is a non-starter for me.

I still think having:

Eller-Plex-AK46

Gionta-Gomez-Cammy

Pouliot-Halpern-Darche

gives the Habs 3 lines that can score and could realy give the oppostition fits.

The problem is who will be the 4th center. Maybe bring up Maxwell.

Laps/Pyatt-Maxwell-Moen for the 4th line.

145. Bugs says:

Can’t play Poolio with Gomie at the moment. Jack Marty has convinced me of that.

Once him and Gio get goin, they’ll be reuinted, and they’ll get Poolio back.

Can’t mess with the kid’s mojo. Darche and Halpern are motivating him quite nicely.

Further proof that Jack Marty is a great coach in my book: he’s lookin out for my boy.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

146. punkster says:

I’d prefer Donder and Blitzen over Dasher and Prancer, but that’s just me.

After examining all the line combos (listed below), it would appear that we are still short a legit top six forward.  Can’t see that anyone in Hamilton is ready and Eller is just a kid.  Guerin?  LMAO.  Weber or MAB?  A lot of posters would have to retract their negative comments about Carbo if one of these guys is the answer.

When it’s all said and done, Pouliot is still our best option (even if it’s by default).

148. SmartDog says:

No question Pouliot is top 6-worthy.  And I agree that AK-Pleks is a pair you don’t want to split.

But taking Pouliot away from Halpern could be a big mistake.  It’s Pouliot’s skill, size, and hunger that make such a good match for Halpern’s smarts.  Darche there to mix things up a little, this is such a good line.

It’s also what I mean by Gauthier not being a great GM.  What the team NEEDS is another top-6 forward so they don’t need to move Pouliot.  We have a LOT of defensive veterans, some of them great at teaching youngsters, and of course Markov who we did okay without with PK in.  What we NEED is scoring.  There’s a good trade there somewhere.  We also have some boys on the farm who could use a break.  Another way to go at it.

But personally I wouldn’t break up the PHD line.  Though Camallier with Gomez… maybe.

149. kirkiswork says:

The only way to keep a lot of people on this site happy , would be for the Habs to get rid of half the team and most of the management, even then the Habs would still have to win every freakin game to stop the whiners and complainers.

If you were to win every freakin game then what would be the point of playing ?

Go Habs Go

150. TripleX says:

BG blew up the entire team that he built himself.  The problem is he should have fired himself, BEFORE that dark day in July.

You have it partly right, keep the team and get rid of ALL top management.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

151. NightRyder says:

I would settle for 60-8-12.

The problem with the 24/7 media cycle and blogosphere is the endless amount of information and overanalysis available.

You cannot replicate playoff intensity every night during an 82-game season with travel and back-to-back games and what not. It’s impossible.

So, there are going to be stretches when Hal Gill looks like a pylon or Brian Gionta can’t find the net or Carey Price lets in a few bad goals.

Back in the day, you’d look at the summary in the newspaper and be none the wiser. Now, you can PVR the games and watch them and rewind them and dissect them; see the highlights ad nauseum and then have every genius with an opinion post it in places like this.

So take all of this with a grain of salt.

Except the Gomez stuff. He sucks.

152. dh says:

Don’t know about that.  Either the Gazette changed the way they do popups or IE8 fixed its broken filter, but I seem to be able to block them now.  So I’m happy.

153. SeriousFan09 says:

End of the week, no points for Eller, get him down to Hamilton I think.

Still not sold on JVR myself, the technical skills seem to be there but he doesn’t seem to be throwing it together for full games.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

154. Say Ash says:

JVR looks like the real deal but you follow Philly more. What would it take to get him?

155. mike g says:

Well..

Agreed with Eller. He’s a centerman, and the wing tryout didn’t work for him. Leave him there this year, and bring him up next year once we probably don’t re-sign Halpern.

Anyways…

Having watched 7 Flyers games in full so far, all of them in which JVR was dressed, his biggest problem so far has been speed. He goes to the net, tries to finish plays, but is coming up a little too slow.

He may be out of shape, but I wouldn’t bet on that. My take is that the Flyers team right now, especially their top 6, doesn’t suit his current style of play. Guys like Giroux, Carter, Leino and Briere aren’t the most physical guys. They play with tons of finesse, and that’s not JVR’s game. He’s a John Leclair mould typpe of player. He’s not connecting on a bunch of plays because the fancy passes ain’t his game. They’re expecting him to be a physical force and hit everything that moves.

They might be forced to hold onto him, simply due to upside and cap hit. Leino won’t be signed next year, he’s one heck of a player but they don’t have the coin for him.

We will see.

All I know is that I’d overpay just a little for him right now. Something tells me that him and Eller could become a crazy duo. Both have similar styles. Not overly physical, not too much fancy stuff, just enough to get the job done.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

156. mike g says:

Right now, he’s not looking like the real deal…

I’ll be very honest though, before I get into any trade proposals I have to say that I highly doubt they’d let him go. There’s just too much upside in his case. If I’m not mistaken he’s a 2nd overall pick. And they’ve got cap problems, so a young player with upside who costs peanuts on the cap kinda fits their need.

But, if by some crazy chance, Holmgren was willing to deal him, he wouldn’t come cheap.

Were talking probably a 1st round pick plus a solid prospect, and that’s if it’s not a good roster player already.

I’m not an NHL GM or anything, so I don’t know how they’d figure this one out, but that’s what I would ask for him. I’d tell the Habs it will cost them something like Danny Kristo or Avtsin, plus a 1st round pick for JVR and a 4th/5th rounder.

And even then, I’m not sure Philly takes it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

157. SeriousFan09 says:

If JVR is having trouble keeping up with the Flyers quick skaters, does it really help us to add him on to the Habs forward group where speed is pretty much the definition of their game? At present he sounds a little like an American Pouliot, seems to have all the tools but is having an issue throwing it all together.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

158. Say Ash says:

Stop teasin’ then. I can go elsewhere for that.

159. mike g says:

The problem is the speed mixed with the finesse…

Guys like Giroux, Carter, Briere and company, they’re incredible players who can do things at an extreme high speed. Their reaction time is insane, and they can all shoot, pass, and score at will pretty much.

IMO, right now at this early stage of JVR’s career, he’s just getting all mixed up. He see’s his linemates doing all these incredible things at high-speed, and then when he tried to follow them doing it he screws up. He’s not that type of player. He’s not gonna deke 3 guys and go score. He was that in the juniors, and now he has to change his game and become a player that blows by defenseman and uses his size to his advantage.

He seems mixed up in Philly, and is often getting caught watching his linemates dazzle around the opposition. Maybe here in MTL, playing with a fast but much more simple team, hed thrive.

Guys liek Gio and Gomez aren’t fancy. They gain the zone, dish it to Gionta and shoot on net. They don’t make 6 passes, deke 3 guys, and then shoot. Much more easier game to play for a kid like JVR. He wouldn’t have to worry about 100 things.

He’s got enough speed to play a simple game.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

160. mike g says:

You sneaky guy, stay away from that site…

Anyways, wouldn’t you be pumped if by some miracle we’d pick up JVR?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

161. Say Ash says:

Hell, yeah! But like the other youth on our team, JM would find a way to suck the life out of him.

162. punkster says:

My game is beyond redemption. I do think the Habs game would be far easier to fix.

163. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but weren’t we complaining when Carbo did that too?

And wouldn’t it be worse if he just left them together without doing anything? We’d all be hollering: “Do something!!”

164. notbigbird says:

Eeeny, meeny. miny MOEN.

165. matraque says:

Quebecers always do things in style!  He’s a big Habs fan as well!  Congrats brother!

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

166. observer says:

Knows when to hold em’ and knows when to fold em’ a helluva lot better than those 2 olde men here Gauthier and Gainey.

167. Clay4bc says:

A relevant and regrettably true quote from the article…

“Is anyone else asking why Montreal would trade Jaroslav Halak? I fully
    understand the situation that existed there but how do you make that
    trade? I think Lars Eller will turn out to be a decent player but any
    suggestions of him being a star are slightly unrealistic
    . This has to go
    down as one of the more lopsided deals in recent trade history. The
    Blues are loaded with talented players under 25 years of age and the
    fact that Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier settled for only Eller and Ian
    Schultz looks worse and worse by the day. How do you trade this guy
    without getting a Perron, Oshie, or Pietrangelo in return?

I find it hard to believe this is the best deal Gauthier could have
    gotten. Let’s not pretend Halak became good overnight, they saw up
    close with their own eyes how good he is

Stupid trade. You should have to give up a star to get a star. We just gave one away for almost nothing.

__________________________

– Bertrand Russell

168. volcano62 says:

It is so bad that I think the Halak trade was worse than the Roy trade.

169. JohnBellyful says:

As fond as I am of Gomez as a playmaker and locker room wit, I, like so many other posters to this site, am disappointed with his current level of productivity. But rather than dwell on the negative, I offer the following tips to help him rehabilitate his image, as well as give his employer full value for the $8 million he is being paid this season:

– escort fans to their seats before games
    – give teammates neck massages on the bench as he awaits his next shift
    – sell autographs during intermissions (Plekanec’s)
    – donate a kidney

There is one more suggestion he might want to contemplate when he eventually breaks out of his slump. Have the puck(s) he scored with mounted and auctioned off to collectors of Hab memorabilia, with the proceeds to go to charity.
    Consider the appeal such a souvenir would have for hard-core collectors. Say, for example, he scores five goals the rest of the season – I’m a glass half-full kind of guy – the winning bidders for the trophy pucks could boast they acquired rare pieces of Hab history at a fraction of its cost to the team, even if they should pay thousands for the acquisition.

I know one would look good in my den.

170. tony d says:

I like your way of thinking

171. Clay4bc says:

Well done – very funny man!

__________________________

– Bertrand Russell

172. SmartDog says:

These are great ideas!

Another idea: during practice instead of working on his game (it doesn’t seem to help anyway) he could practice skating in circles until his teammates strip the puck, or flicking pucks at people’s feet like he does in games.

173. Habsrule1 says:

This should be considered for post of the year.

Thanks for the laugh.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

174. Ed says:

Jonathan Duhamel, World Champion of poker

I heard on radio this a.m. that he had several hundred supporters there, including family, & they were mostly wearing Habs’ jerseys. He won $8.9 million. Does Gomez make that much?

Here’s an interview he did. Seems like a really nice fellow.

Article in Globe & Mail says that Mr. Duhamel now plans to play in the world’s biggest tournaments – and buy Canadiens season tickets.

175. dh says:

Lapierre has speed, grit and a nice shot when he’s rolling.  I think he’ll have a good year.

176. smiler2729 says:

Another Halak story, another day of useless Gauthier, Gainey and Price bashing… This place is becoming The National Enquirer, just to get cybertraffic, kinda pathetic… I couldn’t read it cuz it was in FRENCH but I can just imagine what it said.

177. Clay4bc says:

After reading ALL of the comments up until this time, I saw only one mentioning Price at all…

That comment was YOURS.

Saying the Halak trade was dumb has nothing to do with Price, and is far from “Price bashing”.

There was some Gomez bashing though – but apparently such a lover of the “team” as you doesn’t have a problem with that.

__________________________

– Bertrand Russell

178. RetroMikey says:

Sad to see Dustin Boyd being let go, we  really did not lose anything by the trade for little Sergei going to Nashville.

After all, little Sergei is not lighting it up in Nashville either.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

179. kirkiswork says:

Good Post.

But unfortunately we are stuck with Gomer. Hopefully he will unsuck soon. Cuz no one will take his salary off our hands.

180. Lancer says:

Hope they didn’t get rid of Boyd to sign MAB

181. ZepFan2 says:

Well since you’re able to see into the future.

How about helping me out with the winning numbers to either the 6/49 or Lotto max. Preferably the one with the bigger payout.

Thanks in advance, Kreskin.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

182. jrshabs1 says:

I don’t speak or read french so these stories in french are lost to me. HIO should sumarize what is being written so us unilingual Hab fans can get in on all the fun to.

Go Habs Go!!

183. Clay4bc says:

Google Translate is your friend…or could be, at least.

__________________________

– Bertrand Russell

184. LizardKing1967 says:

if u have google toolbar, u can translate it. some translations are funny (too literal), but u get the idea dead on.

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

185. joeybarrie says:

Would you rather have 2 Lucic’s???  2 Ryder’s????

It doesnt work like that. You dont just get to pick and choose who you would like…

YOU REALLY THINK GOMEZ’ CONTRACT IS THE REASON WHY WE ARE NOT AN ELITE TEAM…???

So than why is it we cannot get this ELITE player for GIONTA and LAPIERRE????

Why cant we get this ELITE PLAYER for HAMRLIK AND SPACEK?????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

186. Seps says:

Obviously you can’t just pick and choose but we could’ve gotten a better player through free-agency or atleast had the ability to make a big trade. Where it’s Gomez’s contract that always holds us back.  It’s not that we don’t like Gomez, it’s his contract we dont like, I’d be fine if we were paying him 2M but right now we’ve payed him 1.6M to get what, 3 points?

Hockey is what’s called a team game.

187. LizardKing1967 says:

they will sign Bill Guerin at NHL minimum for one year.

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

188. idle says:

They can’t.  There won’t be enough left over for MAB.

189. cdnred17 says:

hahahaha…I WISH I was Pierre Gauthier! At least then I would be getting his salary!!!!  No my friend, I am but a fan, but one who believes that if we are ever to CONSISTENTLY (5 consecutive years or more) compete for the Cup, we have to sink lower than we are to rise up. Not because that is what any team has to, but that is what a team that has had “lost” draft years must do, as we did for much of the past 15 – 20 years…

190. punkster says:

Hey Rob, how the heck did I miss you Saturday? I was hoping to link up for a Gomez discussion ;)

191. SmartDog says:

Hey Dave… I wasn’t around that much.  Had friends in the city for the week-end, and my SO had her own todo list of things. Barely caught any HIO events at all.  Next year I think I’ll tell people I’m going fishing!

192. punkster says:

Cool.

- I’m not as negative about Martin and not ready to throw him out with the bath water. My concern is with the overall disjointed play of the whole team. After 14 games with an 8-5-1 record I’m not ready to point fingers. I would like to see more organization on the ice, more guys trying different approaches, more commitment around the net. etc.

- As far as Gauthier goes I don’t think he has any day-to-day impact on the team during a practice or game. He and Gainey are still building an unfinished product. I look back 6 and more years ago and I’m far happier with the team these guys are assembling. For me the key phrase would be “Under Construction”. That’s one area I think many people choose to ignore. Bob or Pierre haven’t simply “built this team” and that’s the end of the story. They’re building and it’s not done yet.

- Gomez, Gionta and Cammellari should be our centrepiece and along with Pleks the core of our scoring. If their histories are any indication we’ll see them step up. Of course all 3 may be about to have career lows. I doubt it but anything is possible I suppose. (I’m not even going to get into Laps because too many laps tires me out ;)

193. PureGuava says:

I feel the same way. Why break up your best line to get Gomez going? – Gomer should have been centering the third or fourth line, not given a red-hot winger who is now ice-cold.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

194. SmartDog says:

Indeed!  Dog bones are on me!

Great quote!

195. Mark C says:

Not bad, but the fact that you make this claim less than 15 games into the first season following the trade shows how extremely bias you are.