The plan (for now)

4701610

We’ll still keep an eye on all things Habby.

And once Boone has recovered from the Canadiens’ seventh-game loss to Boston – he’s been curled up in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably, since Wednesday night; it can’t last forever – he’ll be live-blogging some meaningful playoff games and cheering for teams that employ McGill University alumni as coaches and/or include Canadiens alumni on their rosters (a Detroit-Vancouver Western Conference final could be problematic).

Watch this space for details.

Stu Hackel, maven of all NHL matters, will still be aboard. And we’ll post links to good hockey stories from all over.

There may not be much Canadiens news before the June draft. Pierre Gauthier has some big decisions to make, but he’s not the kind of guy – Hello, Burkie! – who shares his hopes, dreams and strategies with the media. We’ll keep our eyes, ears and the microphone we’ve planted in his office open.

At minimum, Hockey Inside/Out will continue to provide a forum for you to tell Gauthier and Jacques Martin how to do their jobs.

How many sleeps till training camp?

• Red Fisher: Gauthier has tough choices to make

Go Flyers, Go!

Red’s notebook

• Arpon Basu on the Gomez situation

Stu Cowan on Gomez

• François Gagnon’s open letter to Gauthier

• Boone on hockey and the royal wedding

• Mathias Brunet on the D

Lightning win opener

• Just because he’s a great writer, Stephen Brunt’s Requiem for Boxing

Photo by Adam Hunger/Reuters

1. G-Man says:

Real crap 1st game for Philly. Hope they are pissed and start playing the goon hockey we expect in this thug-fest.

2. Psycho29 says:

NHL orders car dealership to take down “Go Canucks” sign….
    Nice to see the legal dept is keeping busy!

3. Psycho29 says:

Ok who are you and what have you done with Don Cherry?!?!?!?

I guess Milbury and PJ will rip Cherry a new one next…..

4. hablifting says:

Cherry also saying that Ference nailed Halpern on purpose and is a hypocrite for his comments earlier about his teammate and headshots.

I am a little confused about why Ference was not suspended for that hit. Not that i am buying into the stupid theory of the Campbell connection. To me it was no different then what got Cooke kicked out for the first round.

• habs-hampton says:

I’m beyond being surprised about anything Campbells office does. Joe Thorton said what other people haven’t got the guts to say. The NHL has no credibility. They have basically said that even though they now have a headshot rule, the rules are different in the playoffs. It will take an American based team to lose 3 or 4 guys in the same series before the league notices. It could happen in the B’s – Flyers series. 2 goon teams going at it. Last guy standing moves on. Yeah… that’s hockey…

• hablifting says:

“Last man standing moves on.”

Man, that’s the reason I watch hockey. The physicality is what makes the game what it is. Nothing more boring then watching KHL hockey imo. Luckily for people who don’t like hitting, they can watch that instead. Leave the NHL alone please.

5. C-Sword says:

Wow, Don Cherry just bashed on Ference for the hit on Halpern, calling him an hypocrite.

6. dre1744 says:

wow Cherry sticking up for the habs on the head shot by Ferrance.. Didn’t see that coming!!!!

7. win4ce says:

Cherry just predicted that Gomez is going to hit the gym hard in the summer and come back next year with a great season. I dont usually agree with Cherry, but I gotta agree with him on this one. Its easy to throw all the blame on Gomez, but im convinced he can play well and that he will next season,

• showey47 says:

I don’t think conditioning is an issue with gomez. The guy is a great skater but maybe cherry was referring to upper body strentgh in order to win puck battles. If anything he needs to work on things like faceoffs,defensive responsibilities and making better puck decisions.

• HardHabits says:

And shooting. He needs to score goals, basically add that threat to his passing capabilities.

His tendency is to hold back, or float, at the beginning of the season and expect to break out come play-off time but that wont cut it any more. He needs to break out early in the season with points from the get go.

It would be nice to see him do some intense core training over the summer. Not necessarily gain weight but gain some real strength instead.

• habstrinifan says:

He is naturally a great and fluid skater. So that old cliche, “he skates effortlessly” applies here. But his lack of muscular toning and overall conditioning did affect the other aspects of his game and mental focus and readiness to pay the price.

Conditioning was a factor. I think it is actually, now that the season is over, a good thing that the ‘reason’ for his bad play can be identified so specifically as his conditioning. It follows that if he applies himself to his workout regimen then success will follow. It is better than ascribing his performance to the worst case scenario… that he is an old 31(??) and washed up and unable to play at the elite level anymore.

So it’s either conditioning, or lazy attitude, or dramatic deterioration of skills. For HABS fans, given his contract, conditioning is the best case scenario.. cause it is quantifiably and utterly remediable.

8. 100HABS says:

Here’s a plan: Nobody will want to pay Kovalev any money because he was so terrible this past year. I would take him for $1million. Veteran presence with upside in big games and little hit on the cap…

But he has to take a walk in Old Montreal with Gainey twice per month.

• RGM says:

Thanks, no, that ship has long sailed. The team the Habs are building now is one that, to borrow the goalie’s phrase, “plays its balls off” every night. To say that Kovalev would have a tough time fitting in to that type of environment is quite plain.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Jim Edson says:

Old poison! No way!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

• habstrinifan says:

Come on! Maybe you still like his artistry, which can leave an indelible impression. But honestly, why would you even consider it. NO WAY!

9. Danno says:

testing

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. NoTinFoilCups says:

Radek Martinek knocked out of the worlds with a spine injury and concussion from a headshot. He’s UFA this summer. No wonder players are reluctant to play in this tournament.

11. 4m3y2j says:

Are the Phlyers that bad (or just the goaltending)It just shows you how good Price was in the series…

12. SnowManHabs85 says:

Now if only RDS showed some Bulldog playoff matches now since les Canadiens are eliminated. I’m curious to see how’s the farm team is playing.

13. Mattyleg says:

I cannot support the Canucks. No bloody way.
    Every single Canuck fan I’ve ever met has been an absolute knob-end.
    One of them, who I’d only just met, explained to me in the most obnoxious way possible that “Montreal is NOT a hockey city. Go anywhere else in Canada, and you’ll see for yourself. Montreal is probably the last hockey city in Canada.”
    He was only one. There have been many.

Therefore, I hope that the Canucks get their butts handed to them.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Sounds like you met a Canuck Season Ticket holder. I spent 5 years out there college and university. Loved the beauty of the province, but always couldn’t stand the nucks or the nuckhead fans out there. Just something about them always irked me.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• The Cat says:

Same here, and yet their building is pretty quiet during the games.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Hahaha, probably the effects of winning the PT. Maybe, I don’t know. Last year was the Washington fans would I knew where saying how their team was going to win the Stanley Cup with no problem because of their scoring ability. Look who eliminated them? :P

Besides, Vancouver couldn’t beat us during the regular season even with all the injuries the Habs had. The only major injury Nucks had was Salo.

• The Cat says:

Wrong. The canucks at one time this year had their starting 6 D men all out.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Salo, Ballard was missing on the 1st meet, while Habs were healthy but haven’t called up Max and DD.
          Bieska was missing on the 2nd meet, while Markov and Gorges was missing on Habs but called up Max, DD, Weber, White.

So i don’t think their starting 6 D were missing during the 2 meets

• Bugs says:

Is there any possible way that maybe, this guy who you “just met” may have been, I dunno, windin you up INTENTIONALLY?
      Or can you, on the contrary, testify that he really, REALLY meant what he said, even having “just met” him’n’all?
      C’mon, Matty. They may be Couverites but they still know the difference between up’n’down, c’mon.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• The Cat says:

BC people are weird and they relish the fact that they are weird. Ive been a lot of places in my life and BC is where I felt the most mentality disconnect.

• RGM says:

I’m guessing you’ve never lived in Nova Scotia.

BC is the best of all…and I miss it terribly.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Gotta disagree. You must be from BC, we Nova Scotians won’t put up with your verbal diarrhea and non stop BS, hence the disconnect..
            ____________________________________________________
            They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• RGM says:

The fella just above me kinda embodies what I’m talking about. Thanks for reinforcing the whole “from away” mentality that I’ve been experiencing since the day I moved here. :)

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

No hard feelings fella. Been across the country, felt disrespected most places I went when people found out where we were from, unless other Maritimers were around. If I never have to leave NS again I’ll die a happy man.

____________________________________________________
            They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• Old Bald Bird says:

Been out there twice. BC and Vancouver rock. If I could choose to live anywhere in Canada …

— formerly notbigbird –

• Bill J says:

Imagine what BC people felt about you ? ;)

I agree with other replies, BC is the best province in Canada. I’ve lived in both Vancouver & Kelowna, I miss it terribly.

• Clay says:

Lived in Victoria for a while, and visited BC more times than I can count. No other province is close. BC rocks.

__________________________

• The Cat says:

People who love BC probably love the ganja as well :)

14. RGM says:

Flyers goalies combined for .787 SV% in this game. Pathetic. Bruins must be in heaven after 7 games of Carey Price.

Carey Price is All Hart! http://on.fb.me/CP31Hart
    Support my playoff beard: http://www.beardathon.ca/english/RGM81/profile.aspx

15. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good night gents. Not what I expected at all. What next?

Cheers Mike, i just want san jose to win it all and have the bruins watch thorton raise the cup as a shark.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

Nice!
        However, patriotism increases with distance I guess. I’m an expat in Ireland and will be shouting for the Canucks. Also like Tampa — have to love M St L.

More Canadians on San Jose than any other roster still in playoffs!

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• shootdapuck says:

Hellava lot more Canadians in San Jose that Detroit or Vancouver.

Go Sharks, finish this year for a change.

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

16. Mattyleg says:

God, the Flyers are garbage.
    They only managed to hang on for a playoff spot because of their good first half.
    Their play in the run-up to the playoffs was abyssmal.
    Buffalo would’ve given the Broons a better run than this.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Oh daddy will be so happy, little Colon hole jr. scored

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

18. SnowManHabs85 says:

Its good thing Boston’s powerplayer isn’t any better against Philly but it still sucks to see them winning right now.

Doesn’t matter who the bruins are playing, cheap shots after every whistle. Enjoy Gary, this is your fricking nhl not mine.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

20. Dunboyne Mike says:

Marchand scores again, and I just drained the bottle of Peptobismol.

21. PeterD says:

Mike Boone – Thank you for a terrific season and all things Habby. A real joy and a lot of fun from time to time…

But I can not get behoind hte Flyers over Boston…these are the two teams I dislike most…hatred is a hard work but let’s face it these two teams and their low life fans are not worth getting involved with.

Living out on the Left Coast now I guess I may have to reluctantly and mostly superficially get behind the Canucks…but secretly I will be cheering for Laps and Higgie…I just don;y know or care enough about the rest of them to be as passionate about the Canucks as I am about the Habs.

So through the long Spring and Summer to come I will be fantasizing about a new rebuild Habs in Training Camp all fresh with new hopes for a Cup run in 2011/12.

Go Habs Go and long live the commentariat.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice post. And hopefully we don’t need a re-build, just some tweaking. The youth that’s already arrived and the youth waiting to come up are looking good. Markov and Gorges back, Pax back. Maybe bury Gomez and maybe pick up one or two FAs. Should go deeper next time.
      Cheers

CHara just got away with complete obvious high stick. Unbeliievable!!!!

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

keep crying lucic, too bad his head just missed the stanchion on that last hit to him.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

Early in the series, but if Boston continues to school Philly, perhaps we all find out that the Bruins do have a very good team this year, and we were 1 goal away from beating them.

Any chance PG makes Gomez and Pouliot work out with Gary Roberts for the entire summer.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

25. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

That was at least a foot offside…

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Surely Philly have to go back to Bobrovsky.

What is their mental block when it comes to keepers?

27. Old Bald Bird says:

Watching this game makes me think that both Boston and Montreal are/were better than I thought.

Although I thought I wanted Filthy to win, I am finding that I just can’t bring myself to cheer for them. In a battle between the two most contemptible teams in the league, I guess I find Filthy the most contemptible. Boston wins so seldom against us that I guess I can view them as being less loathsome.

Go Vancouver!

— formerly notbigbird –

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey formerly NotBigBird — I hear you. At game-time I was all Philly, but I find I can’t sustain it. Maybe forget about who wins or loses and just hope a few favourites — Marchand, Ference, Campbell, Chara — get schooled.

28. lenny says:

I’m even more depressed now. We had them and blew it

29. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Eric!

Marchand scores – is it my fault?!

30. Dunboyne Mike says:

4-1, with 3 goals coming from the No. 1 line.

Boston forgot to read the script for this one, eh?

• savethepuck says:

The only reason the top line on Boston didn’t produce is not because they suck, it’s because we have a guy named Plecanec. If the Plex line had of played against the Bergeron line and the G’s had of played against the Krejci line, everyone would of been talking about how bad the Bergeron line played last series.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Completely agree. You don’t need to persuade me!
        And however often we lament Gomez’s lack of offensive production, we should also be bemoaning how easy he made it for whatever line he was matched up against.
        Yeah, Plex was amazing.

All the more reason for us to dump Gomez to Hamilton and try find a true offensive #1 centre. By making Plex be our best checking line and be our offensive centre is way too much too ask.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Totally agree. However, I can’t get an answer from those who say burying Gomez would inhibit other FAs from coming to Montreal.

It’s plausible enough, but based on what evidence? No one seems to have any.

Surely whatever drawbacks to sending Gomez down (like what? Gio pining?) would be outweighed by the advantages of cap-space, no Gomez liability on the ice or undermining his line’s offensive capability, and the possibility — however slight — of him eventually retrieving his mojo.

• savethepuck says:

My comment was meant to compliment Plex and give credit to his line for the way they shut down Krejci, Lucic, and Horton in the series because all the news was about how bad the Bruin’s top line played instead of giving credit where credit was due. It wasn’t to bash Gomez, although I can understand why everyone is going there.

31. lenny says:

I’m still depressed the Habs are out. I feel like I need a support group to get me through the summer.any one want to join?

I think wiz needs to stay…

32. LA Loyalist says:

FYI – that bum Maxim Lapierre was 6-0 on faceoffs for Vancouver in their last playoff game. Good thing we got rid of that loser. He and Higgins are on the 3rd line for ‘Nucks and Coach Vigneault says they are working their asses off. You can watch the story on TSN.

Not that I’m bitter or anything… I’m just so happy JM is our coach and gets the best out of everyone… and Michael Ryder, that other ex-hab that ended our season, he’s still playing. CRAP BATMAN. Domenic Moore is still playing…. CRAP BATMAN. Good thing JM is such a genius.

Oh yeah. We’re not playing anymore…

33. Dunboyne Mike says:

Sheesh! 3-1 Boston.

Away-ice advantage continues.

Fair dues to Boston taking it to the Flyers who are increasing their slash and hook rate.

Bruins do NOT look the ones we played. And does that say something more about us?

34. EricInStL says:

This game is the game that keeps on giving….

Go for 7 games you bozos……

I want Marchand to pound Briere….

What is your dream punch up in the 3rd period?

35. Jonson says:

this is how i would shape together montreals defense core.
    let markov, hammer, gill and the wiz go. sign eric brewer and bieska ( or erhoff). 4.5 million a year.
    PAIRINGS:
    pk and brewer
    bieska (erhoff) and weber
    gorges and spacek

• LA Loyalist says:

um, some of those guys don’t play for us… just saying… fantasy league is over there on the left…

… and if you let Markov go you are insane. I agree a shorter term deal given his medical history, but he is the best player we have when his is healthy.

• Jonson says:

im saying they are both free agent dmen that would i sign. MArkoV will never be the same !!!!!! mark my word. you dont think i like markov?? please i love the guy… but what i like more are dman who can last a season and improve the team. markov isnt that guy anymore. and what do you do with PK??? take aways his minutes and give them to markov?

36. Rob says:

Some people on here are always moaning about how you can’t win through free agency, and how the only way to win is through the draft. I’m always a bit confused by this argument, if only because it doesn’t really apply to the Habs. I mean, look at the players who will be our top players next season…Price, Subban, Patches, Plecks, and possibly Markov. Were they not drafted by the Habs? looks to me like the CORE of this team HAS been built through the draft, and the lineup is being bolstered by free agency additions like Cammy, Gio, and Gill, and a few shrewd trades that resulted in guys like Gorges and Eller. I think most will agree that the Gomez situation is a bit troublesome, but other than that, at the moment it looks to me like that Habs have put together a pretty good team, and have done it the right way, and are only a couple of pieces away from being a true contender. I don’t know, maybe i’m wrong.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

37. EricInStL says:

Let’s go Boston, 3 more goals and all hell should brake loose….

38. EricInStL says:

Nathan THornton scores do you have him in your pool ????

39. filincal says:

Sorry to disagree with mr. Fisher, but I don’t think Markov would need to head to the KHL if he and the Habs can’t come to an agreement. I’m sure there would be plenty of NHL Gm’s willing to take a chance on his talents.

• Jonson says:

i really dont believe markov will ever play again. HE IS NOT A PART OF THE FUTURE. it sucks big time but its true. 2 of the those surgeries on the same knee is a terrible terrible thing. its very rare for someone to come back from it.

• Mark C says:

While it wouldn’t shock me if Markov got a better offer from a KHL team, there is no way that most NHL teams wouldn’t offer him at least, a one year $4.5-5M deal.

40. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good — CBC camera isolates Ference after Flyers goal.

Bad — (but impressive) Thomas ROBS van Riem.

41. Jonson says:

GO BRUINS!!!! why not eh? krecji score!!! like i said before it wasnt because bostons top line were bad it was just because they were outmatched by montreals top line. they will have an easier time playing against philly

• CHsam says:

I hope Philly gives them a nasty time :)

• EricInStL says:

Ideally both teams bash the hell out of each other. This is a buffet of players to hate on both teams.

But Boston and Phily match up equally as they have average speed. So NHL you got what you wanted. BORING !!!!!!!

• Jonson says:

boring?? really not, its gonna be the most exciting series. horton another goal!! my theory seems to be spot on. also my other theory that boston’s pp just hit the best pk in the playoffs. so their pp will be a lot better this series!

• EricInStL says:

I didn’t see that much speed, no hate. The secret to the NHL and NBA playoffs is to watch the 1st round. The rest usually doesn’t have as much passion.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Both Bruins’ goals from their No. 1 line. Did that line score twice in our series? Shows how well we shut them down.

(Too bad we couldn’t do the same with Peverley, Kelly and (ugh)Recchi).

• Danno says:

t

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

42. Danno says:

tesst

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

43. habs-hampton says:

Regarding Gomez:
    – He sucked this year, everyone, including him agree on that. I guess the question is: Exactly what is wrong with him, and can it be fixed? He is still a great skater, and is one of the best at carrying the puck 150 feet. But, that is where the problems start. He was always a great passer, but now he is so predictable, that he has no chance at making a good play. Someone needs to figure out whats wrong and fix it!
    – I think he will be back, and I expect that he has the month of October to prove that he still can be a useful part of the team. If not, he goes to Hamilton, and we can start looking for someone before the deadline. The team will be good enough to make the playoffs, in spite of what Gomez does.

• HUDSONHAB says:

If ifs and buts were goals and assists, oh what a great team we would be. :)
      Have a great summer.

….Hab4life….

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya, but he has sucked for more than just “this year” . He has sucked for nigh on 5 NHL seasons now. What do people think is gonna happen, he is gonna be out fishing salmon this offseason and he is gonna have an epiphany and come back next season a 50 goal scorer? The guy is just getting older and was never a 7 or 8 million player to begin with. Yes, it looks like the habs are gonna give him another chance next season, but whats the realistic expectation for the guy? 15 goals? 20 goals? For 7.5 million? and what about his horrendous defensive play? or the fact that he has a non-exixstant physical game? Sadly, the Gomez fiasco will be hurting the habs for years to come.

• A. Berke says:

How about reducing the ice length to 150 feet?

Also omitting defensive play from the “SYSTEM” would help.

Ali B.

• Guy Ledouche says:

Good luck at signing any UFA’s if you send him down to the AHL No UFA will sign here if they do that, It’s already hard enough for the Canadiens to lure UFA’s here

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Keep hearing that, but what evidence?

• Greg says:

Lecavalier, Briere, Sundin off the top of my head.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yeah, I know they didn’t come, but are you saying it’s because they were afraid of ending up in Hamilton?!

I guess my question wasn’t specific enough. What evidence is there that, if you put Gomez in Hamilton, it would result in free agents not coming to Montreal? It seems like speculation to me.

Pro sports are essentially meritocratic — if you deliver you play. Which is why Habs fans have been so bemused by the continuing ice-time of Gomez.

One could also speculate that if Gomez went down, the play of his old pal and NJ line-mate Gionta might suffer. But it would still only be speculation.

Cheers

• HUDSONHAB says:

I tend to agree with Guy.L.
          I know some UFAs have had issues signing in Montreal in the past and if you add that manuver to the list it would be another negitive.
          The minors/waivers threat will hurt any team that uses it to get out of a contract.
          There should be some sort of “Diminishing Skills” or “Performance” clause for those huge contracts. But I’m sure that could never get negotiated into the collective bargaining deal.
          Gomez will stay.

….Hab4life….

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Well, if that´s the best argument for keeping him: I´d happily take that risk. Other teams did the same btw and everyone knows that Gomez is extremely overpaid. So most other players would probably not be concerned by that.

I think: If the most successful franchise keeps a 7.3 million player on its team knowing he isn´t worth 1/5 of that salary they send a real wrong message to everyone, including potential UFAs.

It really depresses me. People have been moaning about the Habs not being a contender for years. Now we have a decent chance to become one but they don´t want to make the right (albeit hard) decision that is necessary.

• Jonson says:

thats they stupidest thing i have ever heard.what doest that have to do with anything? if you suck no one wants you. just play better. there are a ton of reasons to sign here but none are because they get to play with gomez. i think they would perfer to play on a good hockey team.

• HardHabits says:

Who the f*ck cares. Championship teams are not built via free agency anyways. The only place to get a winner is from the draft. Free agents are things to be added after the fact. The Habs always have it ass backwards and that’s why they only make the play-offs. No way in hell the Habs win a Cup with Gomez, Cammy, Plex and Gionta as the core.

The Habs need a #1 centre. They also need a change in philosophy. Price should play no more than 60 games and Gomez 15 minutes per game max. There in lies the problem with this season. JM’s penchant to over play certain players and bench others.

I hope the Bolts make it to the Cup finals and then we can really start dumping on the system.

1 more year of this crap and hopefully the Habs either tank or start trading players for 1st round draft picks.

Offense. Offense. Offense. That is what the Habs need. Not more of the same defensive crap that leaves us desperately trying to hold onto 1 goal leads. The Habs over achieved this year. The only good thing about losing to the Bruins is that they were exposed as a team only marginally less crappy than the Habs are.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think we need to get Pleks off the PK.

— formerly notbigbird –

• Jonson says:

exposed in what way exactly?? game 7 and in ovetime. what would you be saying then? that we exposed boston? i do agree with majority of your post.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Mostly agree HH. But would you not accept that one, maybe two good FA signings could be part of the plan? Plenty of youth coming up from Hamilton, the product of good scouting and drafting. There are good precedents for veteran acquisitions making a huge difference. And not just superstars like Messier going to NY but like Tampa Bay — who I also would like to see emerge from the East — picking up Dave Andreychuk.

• CHsam says:

Maybe it’s just me, but everytime I watch Gomez gain the Ozone, his linemates are off for a change. And so he just swerves to the side, and dumps the puck. I can’t recall seeing him drive to the net with wingers close by or following.

44. AK_PK_Usay says:

If you need something positive, besides Price and PK.
    DD
    Eller
    White
    Webber
    All these youngsters have shown great things these playoffs, I think they will start writing their mark on the team next year.

• HUDSONHAB says:

I would agree with all but Webber. He did something good in the playoffs but during the regular season as a dman he was suspect. He will be good to have around incase the Wiz/Markov thing blows up in our faces.

….Hab4life….

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Weber has been average during the regular season, he’s still a rookie compared to who he was match with in defensive line. His +/- were even at season’s end with 41 games played. At one time during the season, he was our most plus player in defense.

• Jonson says:

wow are you serious? lol weber was great all year. he is a huge to piece to this puzzle. i wanted him to play all series long. and he is one of the youngs guys who will take us to the promise land. the kid has taken HUGE steps this year its unbelievable. ive been hard on the guy in the past but wow does he impress me.

• ShaunySlow says:

Agreed. I’m loving our group of young guys. Showed a lot of promise.

45. HUDSONHAB says:

I’ve been reading and watching alot on Gomez and I am torn between giving him another chance and having the Habs cut him loose a la Redden, Souray et al. My gut feeling is that doing the whole minors/waivers thing is kind of low class. I also think collecting $7 mil per year for the next 3 with the results of this past year would be highway robbery and will cripple the Habs.

….Hab4life….

46. Dunboyne Mike says:

I tend not to hate other teams (I often feel like an intruder on this site!).

In fact, in the past I have often sided with the team that eliminates Montreal, a thing since childhood to do with “it took the Stanley Cup champions to knock us out” — for example the year Tampa Bay won.

But I can’t do it this year. Did Boston deserve to win? I guess — but three OT games… Series could have gone either way. We DID take our foot off their throats in Games 3 and 4, which maybe means the B’s did earn the series.

But: Obnoxious (however good) Marchand; Gauntlet-Malfunction Ference (why oh why didn’t Gio finish on Moen’s pass in overtime, toasting Ference); and Daddy’s Boy Campbell; (I’m not sold on Travesty-Tim — reckon he was media-led on that one, but willing to be proved wrong).

I want suffering to be visited on these guys [No Mike No! It's not you!] I want memories of last year to start clawing at their hearts. I want beating us, as someone posted, to be Boston’s Stanley Cup.

It’s the Gollum dialogue. I’m not a hater! But I want annihilation! No no no — a good series would be best. NO! KILL!

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGHH!

And please let me hear Jack Edwards following a Flyers sweep. Please.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Awesome post!

Yeah, don’t forget, we also lost to the stanley cup champs Carolina, mind you we were beating them soundly until they took koivu’s eye out (without getting a penalty, in the offensive zone, koivu had the puck…)

I have faith that Pronger is a dirty player… and now richards and marchand can both run their mouths… et companie…

————————-
      when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• Dunboyne Mike says:

And I’m still panting here.

Didn’t mention Carolina cause I couldn’t do it that year either (and it would have spoiled my point!). Ken Linsman?

I’d prefer Pronger to stay more on this side of clean, doing which he could SO still put manners on Marchand (how many times have I watched PK’s hit, how many more this summer…?)

Nurse! I feel it coming on again.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!!!

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Hehehe,
          Well you would think we have nothing to do as Habs are out, i disagree, there are a lot of reffs who didnt help the cause, and god help it they deserve our obscene letters!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Although, in Game 6, the reffing was unbiased in its enormous crapness! However, overall I’d agree that Campbell’s B’s were let away with murder, notably with late hits/chops on PK. Don’t think that will happen with Philly.

OR WILL IT JACK EDWARDS???!! WHO’S YOUR DADDY??!!

Nurse! Make it stop!

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Examining the projections of our prospects, even pie in the sky stuff… I don’t see the 80+, 90+ point producer who’s going to be our blue-chipper for offence. I like Kristo, I like Leblanc, I think Avtsin will have a much better 2nd AHL season but I don’t think these guys are ever going to be superstars. Gallagher, I’m in his corner but is he really going to be a Theo Fleury or Martin St. Louis or just Gionta 2.0 on his best day?

IMO, Habs need to take some risk at this draft for that body. No “safe” pick, gamble and go for the guy who could be our elite man at forward.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

How far back you go, SF? Like, do you remember The Flower? Wasn’t he a late bloomer? Or did Montreal always know he would blossom? (I can’t remember — was only a small kid then).

The reason I ask is because of guys like Pax and even Eller. Neither is a Lafleur, but is there not the possibility of either or both of them growing into a Knuble, for example? If they both did, would we need a 90-point scorer to become contenders?
      Cheers

• SeriousFan09 says:

Lafleur was an absolute beast in the Quebec minors though, his scoring was off the charts all the way through and was a 1st overall pick and aside from Mario Lemieux, the best French-Canadian ever to be selected at the top of the draft. His talent was evident and he was seen as a potential superstar before he ever played an NHL game.

Patches has a good potential to be a Knuble, Erik Cole type but even then, that’s 30G production, great for a power forward but most contending teams have a PF, or two. He’s what raises our team’s fortunes going forward. Eller, I like his talent, he’s further along than say, Pleks was at the same age but he’s not a PF guy, he’s going to be a centre and how good of a centre we don’t know yet but he’ll be a playmaker. Could he somehow become a No. 1 guy? Anything’s possible but I don’t think he’s THAT good.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Thanks!
          So, do you prefer scouting a future talent? Or picking up a proven talent this summer? (Like Gomez! Who’d want to be other than an armchair GM?!) And if a vet, who do you like? Because if feels like only one or two significant adjustments could spell the beginning of something beautiful…

• SeriousFan09 says:

Aside from this summer bringing in Brad Richards (which would mean punting Gomez at the same time) I don’t see the talent in the UFA pool this summer and Richards doesn’t seem interested in ‘fishbowl’ hockey markets. It’s a very UFA class and the Habs don’t have the cap space. I don’t see a deal to be in trade that can bring in what’s needed, as the expense of landing this breakout forward would cripple MTL at other areas. I’m all for going for some boom/bust potential in this year’s draft.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sorry not to be up to speed, but why do you mention Richards? Before Knuble, I was carrying a flag for Richards (see my alter-ego’s rant above, with ref to Tampa Bay winning cup) but understood Montreal would never draw him. For the longest time I just refused to believe that that could be true — he’s from the maritimes! You mention him — maybe now he’s ready to play in an authentic hockey market, not somewhere where people will walk right past him to get an autograph from the Cowboys’ back-up punter!

• Jonson says:

ELLER will be that guy. i feel for everyone who cant see it

48. CHsam says:

I don’t wanna see turtleneck next season… I wanna see Tomas JAGR
    LOL

49. habsgod says:

does anyone know how i can read francios gagnon’s column in english i’d really like to read it!

• ManApart says:

That would sure get the fans excited. It’s possible, if the Habs can’t land any significant offensive help on the UFA market. Robert Lang #2.

• CHsam says:

Yeah, it would definately be exciting. If it could work out like a Selanne thing. Just wondering what kind of line combination that would look like with a LH shot

AK out Jagr in?

• CHsam says:

Hmmm…

Jagr- Pleks – Cammy

Not bad I think… in any case, the name Jagr at this point is far more entertaining than the names of AK and persona-non-grata.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Because 39-year olds who haven’t played in the NHL for three years are always gold? Guys come on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• ManApart says:

Serious, didn’t say it would be gold. I’m not even sure what I think about it. Just said it could be possible. I’ll tell you one thing, if August rolls around like last year, and the best our genius Gauthier could do was add Eller and change Moore for Halpern, I’ll take Jagr in a heartbeat.

• 24 Cups says:

Re: Jagr – We just got rid of Kovalev…..

I’d rather roll the dice one more time with AK46.

• CHsam says:

LOL aaaaaah you know it’s summer when rumour threads start poppin back up again………. It’s going to be boring around here for a while

• AK_PK_Usay says:

How is AK rolling dices, he’s consistent at about 0.54 pt per game.
        In Montreal he’s the best pt/$ we have amongst our veterans, so he’s a no brainer.

People have the wrong expectations, he’s a good 2nd liner that sometimes shines as a 1st. BTW he also has epilepsy…

——————————
        when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• Mark C says:

Outside of Selanne and Richards, Jagr has as much offensive upside as any UFA (unless Tanguay, Hejduk, Cole, or Leino float your boat). He’s put up pretty much the same stat line in his past three seasons in the KHL, his international play was been solid, seems unlikely that is game as completely fallen off the table. This is certainly an interesting development.

50. showey47 says:

Potentially the steal of the ufa goalie market this upcoming summer.

• ManApart says:

I don’t see the Flames letting him go. There won’t be a ton of fighting for the guy, so Calgary should sign him to a nice 2 or 3 year deal for less than 1.5 mil/year. They don’t have too much else as far as goaltending prospects, unless you think Irving can make the jump. (I don’t).

He’s a big mother, who could be a late bloomer, as you said, with some potential big upside. Definately there’s no downside in having him as a back-up. As I said, Calgary won’t let him walk.

• 24 Cups says:

MA – Good summary. I can’t see any young guy, including Ramo, wanting to come here. There’s basically no chance of ever starting.

I won’t be surprised if Auld comes back. It’s a good fit for everyone involved.

• ManApart says:

I’m almost sure he will be back. My good friend’s fiance, takes care of Auld’s son as a baby sitter. Auld’s wife is about to have their 2nd child in a few months and they are going to hire this Megan girl as a full time nanny and helper with Melanie Auld’s custom designer jewlery business. They really like it here and really would be happy with another 2 years at 1 mil per. I’m thinking since they already hired this Montreal girl to be their full time nanny (she’s leaving another daycare job to do it), they must know something we don’t.

• ShaunySlow says:

Comming from someone who lives in Van and went through an Auld era. Dont let his comfort level cloud the fact hes a suitcase goalie. Would love to see him stay in MTL, but well see.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I expect Ramo to get packaged up this summer to help MTL in acquiring a pick or a prospect, maybe as a move to get into the 2nd round or improve our 1st-rounder if there’s a tempting target.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Next season the Habs have one area where they need to improve and that is goal scoring, where they were 24th over-all.

The Habs were in the top 10 last season in both PP (7th) and PK (7th) categories and goals against (8th) and that is a good foundation to build on but they still need to end up in the top 15 at least (top 10 would be best) for goals scored next season to be a contender, and that is only of they don’t compromise their PP, PK and goals against in the process.

That is the bottom line. Defense wins championships they say but the best defense is a good offense.

Relying on special teams and goal-tending is not going to win anything in the NHL. Special teams and goal-tending should be supplementary to a healthy and robust offensive production, not the other way around.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

We were 1st in PP when Markov had another good offensive Dman with a cannon, now we have PK, so with Markov and PK habs can expect to be top 3 of PP.

For the PK, well duno, Charboneau was 1st… in his rookie year… So much for JM “system”. If we didnt spend so much time in our zone we wouldnt have to be on the PK so bloody smurfing much

——————————-
      when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• ManApart says:

It would be interesting to see when was the last time a Cup winner was in the bottom 3rd in the league offensively. The past 2 seasons, that has really been Montreal’s main problem.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

more like bottom 8, but still pretty bad lol
        well with an improved PP and PK our goal differential, which is what really matters

when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• ManApart says:

If you have as much trouble scoring 5 on 5 as the Habs do, you just can’t expect to be a contender. When the big goal is needed, like the 3 OT games vs Boston, you have to be able to manufacture a goal. The Habs can’t, hence why they are golfing.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

pussies golf, real men go on rodeos, like price :P

——————————-
            when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• JF says:

Agree, and I think it has to come from the outside. There is no one on the team or in the system who will make a significant difference in goal scoring. This is Gauthier’s biggest priority aside from sorting out the defence.

52. slychard says:

I live in Florida past 12 years and I miss MTL greatly. Drapeau was the best.

53. slychard says:

I don’t know, picking a favorite between bruins flyers is like looking forward to a root canal without numbing but if I had to?… Flyers I guess. The lesser of two evils.

Bertrand Raymond mentioned in one of his columns on RDS that since winning the cup in 1993 Habs have won grand total of 6 (SIX) series. That’s 6 series in 17 years. Wow. I don;t think there is an adjective to describe that.

• Clay says:

How about F**K? That’s a good adjective for most any situation.
      __________________________

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Well 6 might seem like a small number, but last year, making it to the finals only equals 2 winning series… We have quite a few upsets under our belt, so nothing to be ashamed, look at Toronto…

And it’s not like habs were a powerhouse in the last 25 years…

————————————
        when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• Clay says:

You need 3 series wins to make the finals…
          And 6 doesn’t “seem” like a small number in 19 seasons – it IS a small number. And 2 of those were last season.
          This is the Montreal Canadiens, not the Florida Panthers, who I am sure would be happy with 6 series wins in nearly a fifth of a century.

__________________________

• I think your counting is slightly off, 17 seasons.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Habs have been a middle of the pack team for most of the last 25 years, so what expectations are you having for them?

The facts are, a winning team needs a star at each position, we have Price, PK and markov, but no star forwards, and coaching is weak.

—————-
            when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• ManApart says:

I think that was his point. The Habs have been a middle of the pack team for so long, and continue to be, despite what some people on here like to think.

• ShaunySlow says:

Middle of the pack, can be defined by a lot of variables. Your division, schedule, ect can all play into the statistic we judge at the end of the year. I think the reason we feel so let down by that number is because regardless of where we have fallen in the standings over the past few years, we provide a challenge to our competitor. Vancouver/Chicago/Boston/Washington/Pitts have all had difficult games against our team. We are a team that COMPETES. Bottom line. I think the need for a better roster will allow us to compete at a more consistent rate, but lets not take away from our successes.

• habstrinifan says:

It is a dreadful number when you consider that this is the HABS and also it is truthfully the ONLY team in the city. It is time management starts realizing this.

55. Bugs says:

It’s true though, isn’t it? For the first time in your life, you’re rootin for the Flyers. Not necessarily to “win”, but rather to “put the Bruins back in their place”, so to speak.
    To remind them that their goals were lucky and their wins were suspect, a supposed powerhouse of the East barely making it out alive after being pushed to the brink by a “small team” who were playing WITHOUT their top-2 d-men, nor their hottest forward.
    And drawing back to our OWN past a few years back when the situation was reversed, we weren’t doing too much celebratin headin into Philly after being pushed to the brink by Boston if I recall.
    Not to mention the fact apart Marchand, Bergeron and Thomas, little bit of Ference and Ryder to boot, no one else came to play. They’re pizzin in their pants. They have no team.
    And Philly’s gonna eat’em alive.
    And it’ll be beautiful.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Timo says:

If by “put them in their place” you mean physically maim them, I am all for it. I want to see broken legs and other body parts that end careers.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

I hope Pronger gets as dirty as we all know he is…

• HabFanSince72 says:

“playing WITHOUT their top-2 d-men,”

Actually, our top d-man was playing, and pretty well to boot.

• ManApart says:

I know. Are people going to stop with this top 2 Dmen bit. You can say Markov is our best, but to suggest Gorges is our #2 guy, is silly. One of those Gomez gave us Gionta and Cammy myths. Subban, Wiz and Hamrlik are all easily better than Gorges.

Last season Gorges had 3g 7a and was +2
        This year in almost half a season, he had 1g 6a and was -3

So people, can we all stop with the “we were missing our top 2 Dman” fallacy

• savethepuck says:

Maybe you need to learn how to look at stats. Gorges was a -3 probably because he played the majority of his season on a bum leg. His goals and assists are a non factor, he’s a defensive defenceman and pk specialists. His +3 last year is an incredible stat because he was always on the ice against the opposition’s best offensive lines ( i.e. the opposition’s best lines were a negative against us).

• ManApart says:

Last season, Hammer and Spacek played mostly against the oppositions best lines. Also Gorges goals and assists ARE a factor, because offense is as much a part of the game as defense. A guy like Hammer, Wiz and Subban all can play defense and have that whole other aspect to their game called offense.

So who is more valuable, a guy like Wiz who had 30 points and was +4 in half a year or Gorges who was -3 and had 7 points? A guy like Hammer, who gave us 34 points and was +6 or Gorges? Subban with what he brought as a Rookie or Gorges?

I’m not saying Gorges isn’t a good defenseman who isn’t valuable to the team, just that he is nowhere near our 2nd best Dman.

• Peter Young says:

Why not give credit to the great sportswriter who uttered that line about the Rocket’s goal, Elmer Ferguson, who became an institution himself in covering the Canadiens, both in the press and on radio?

• SeriousFan09 says:

It’s no mystery our PK unit had a big hole in it until Sopel was acquired as a patch entirely because we didn’t have Gorges. In the playoffs, we only had one real shutdown tandem in Gill and PK. You need at least one defensive defencemen who can take on the big minutes all season long and match against the opposition’s top lines, which Gorges can do. In the post-season, he was a TOI leader on the back end and he didn’t become generally worse as the playoffs went on like Hamrlik did. Just because your defencemen isn’t scoring doesn’t mean he’s not doing his job.

In terms of pure defence, Gorges was/is the #2 guy and he was a big part of last year’s playoff run.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• ManApart says:

Our Pk unit was amongst the best all season, with Gorges and without him. Hammer, and Subban did a great job, with Gill, Halpern, Pleks, Pyatt etc. There was no hole. I mean look at the job they did against Boston.

Gorges is a good defenceman, but certainly is overrated by many in this town. Hamrlik, Markov are better defensively and I think Spacek may also be. Subban also surely will be, probably next season. Gorges was a big part of the playoff run, but so were Hammer, Spacek, and Gill. Honestly it was mostly Halak, but the D battled hard to keep the shots under 50 a game lol. Seriously, they were great on the PK, this year and last.

In terms of pure defence I don’t think Gorges can be considered #2 either. Anyways, The prevalent comment, is people stating Gorges is our #2 defenseman, period. I’m just trying to kill that fallacy, because it’s not correct at all.

• SeriousFan09 says:

The PK unit had a serious hole in the gap between when Gorges went down and when Sopel came in to replace him.

The issue with Hamrlik and Spacek is they become less reliable as the year goes on. Hamrlik was caught picking up coverage more than once in the playoffs and it directly led to GA. Gorges ability to be as consistent at the start of a game as he is at the end of one, regardless of being in Game 1 or 82 of the season is one of his best qualities. Hamrlik nearly put the Penguins back into Game 7 last year because at that time of the year, he’s spent mentally and physically. Gorges is a young defencemen who can eat as much ice time as he has to, which puts him ahead of Hamrlik and Spacek as the longer a year goes on, the more those two are suspect players.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• ShaunySlow says:

The problem with Wiz is that his numbers cloud some pretty bad defensive mistakes. He can be a liability at times.

• habstrinifan says:

YEP! Keeping WIZ instea dof Markov or going out and getting a big d-man would be a step back.

Now if u dont sign Markov and dont getthat stay at home BIG MEAN D.. then WIZ is a good last resort.

• Bugs says:

When Gorges went down, he was in the top 2 d alignment of our team.
        Yes or no?
        Thank you.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Clay says:

Agree, ‘ceptin’ for one thing – Dr. Recchi also came to play, and he played well. Especially in game 7 – he was a force.

__________________________

• Bugs says:

A force as spokesperson for the geriatric club maybe, but an actual ELEMENT we had to factor into our gameplan strategy?
        Not at all.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Clay says:

Delude yourself to feed your illusions if you must. I stand by my point.

__________________________

56. Danno says:

Why am I being blocked?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

57. ManApart says:

This offseason is Gauthier’s chance to seperate himself from Gainey. Gainey’s tenure as GM has proven to be a failure. Of course Gauthier had a ton to do with that, being assistant GM and director of pro scouting. Gauthier will not have the 6 year rope Gainey did. He has some tough decisions to make this offseason. If he continues to make the wrong ones, this will surely be his last.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

His last?

This is Montreal Quebec, mediocrity rules high and wide…

Disclaimer: I love Montreal, and when i say LOVE i mean it, I was in Honolulu and got home sick after 3 days, I wanted to go on St-Denis for supper or go job on the TMR… But the problems in Montreal/Quebec are obvious and will not go away. Mediocrity is encouraged, or you are otherwise “rocking the boat”.
      And corruption is rampant…

Look at the our roads and bridges, ever since the Jean Drapeau era, jack has been done AND YET people here criticize him in vast numbers.

For anyone without economics training, what he did was invest in Montreal and put it on the map, and before the 2 bloody referendums Montreal WAS Canada’s city. Anyhow,

————————————-
      when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• RJB says:

Please stop calling Gainey`s tenure a failure. It was not by any stretch of the imagination.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
      – Bilbo Baggins

58. AK_PK_Usay says:

Markov rushed from his 1st injury to play in the Olympics, which is very understandable…

Then he was rushed bcos of contract year, less understandable but common nhl practice, pattern of bad nhl practices, ahh well.

He’s finally getting the right amount of rest, another 6 months where he can condition and rehabilitate his knee.

Seems like a no brainer, give him a long term contract and he will give montreal a discount, since a D of his caliber would easily cost us over 6 mil from the NHL market if not more.

We had to pay 5.5 for Hammerlick, 6 mil for Cammy, 5.5 i think, for Gionta, and he was only making 3.5 in NJ… so yeah…

Montreal is the highest taxed NHL city… with ravenous press and a dinosaur coach… its NOT enticing for free agents.

Then you have Eller and DD getting 8 minutes of ice time so gomez can play 18… PK getting benched because some veterans felt he was being too flashy…
    Reality check, thats not flashy, thats what a winner looks like, you wouldnt know by looking in the mirror…

Critical goals by PK vs Calgary, Chicago and Boston… NO ONE on our team has his slap shot, NO ONE…

JM wrongfully took credit for Halaks performance and bcos of this we’re stuck with him instead of Boucher. Isnt Gauthier great, if he can’t discern from freak goalie performance and coaching, he should go also.

Enough excuses, we can’t change the team, but management should be shuffled till you find the right people. Gauthier is Gainey2, Gainey hurt this team for years, the Gomez trade alone is a HUGE mistake, no excuses.

Gionta 29 goals, alright, not too bad, for 5.5 million, hmm… 0 physical aspect.

Cammy earns his salary in the playoff.

Thats if Gomez is full bust, Cammy gets 90% and Gionta 50, Gainey still FAILED, and Gauthier is the same guy.

But none of this matter, Molson gets to become the NHL’s beer, so great business for our owner, the stands are full…

———————-
    when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

59. Propwash says:

I hope they keep the Wiz. He did a heckuva job given the circumstances.

• ManApart says:

He did do a very nice job. Unfortuneately it looks like you can’t keep both Markov and Wizniewski. With so much money tied up in Gomez, Cammy, Gionta and Pleks, you can’t afford another 9 million for only 2 guys. You’ld be talking almost 33 million for 6 players. That leaves only 27 million or so, for the other 17. There is no way you can win anything with that kind of cap management.

• Bigdawg says:

You can keep him if you let Hammer go. With the way injuries have occured lately, we need 5 top 4 D: Markov, Gorges, PK, Wiz, Gill and round it out with Weber and Spacek and a eigth bench warmer that will come cheap – Picard, Mara…..someone else.

I’d love to see Markov and Wiz play together to see if there is chemistry.

Gorges’ responsible play will allow PK to be creative and have fun and Gill will be a great mentor to Weber like he did for PK last year. Spacek provides insurance in case Weber isn’t ready for a permanent role.

• ManApart says:

I’m not sure that would be wise, considering Price and Subban are up for some raises the following year. You don’t want to tie up more than half your cap on 6 guys for multiple years. You also would like to have some extra money to improve the team offensively, by getting some depth guys and a top 6 on the UFA market. There’s no point just keeping the same team together, when that team was not even a contender to begin with.

In saying that, I was a pretty big fan of Wiz, and would love to see him back, if it makes sense for the team as a whole.

• showey47 says:

From what i had heard the cap is going to go up to somewhere around 62-63 million due to some new versus/nbc 10 year contract agreement. Getting rid spacek and his $3.83 million dollar contract(which was my biggest hope last offseason) could help in potentially keeping a player like the wiz. But chances are you would have to take a lousy contract in return and he also has a 35+ contract.

60. habitual says:

Reading HIO when Les Boys aren’t in it is like looking at an empty wine glass with an empty wallet. Time to move along.

HIO staff, writiers and techies: Once again, great work all year long. If Les Boys had as deep a bench as HIO does, we’d win the Cup.

61. eric says:

Rumor on habsworld.net. Habs interested in Jagr. Last year 49 pts in 51 games

62. Take a look at the Habs report card for the 2010-2011 season at canadiensnation.

Habsnation is still standing.

63. eric says:

According to the Calgary sun there is a one time penalty free buy out clause in the CBA.

64. Danno says:

I still cannot leave a comment.
    WHY?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

65. onlychineseguy says:

After looking at different potential UFA forwards this coming summer, these are the players that I would target (salary is a rough estimation of how much it would cost to sign them):

Ville Leino (Philly): $9 million for 3 years ($3 million per)
    Brooks Laich (Wash): $25 million for 5 years ($5 million per)
    Zenon Konopka (Islanders): $2.5 million for 2 years ($1.25 million per)

Basically once we unload Gomez to Hamilton ($7.3 million per) and traded away AK46 ($3.25 million) the salaries of the newcomers and the departures are balanced out.

I believe these three players will finally solve our chronic problems of too many small forwards and not enough toughness. And we will have one of the most balanced lineup of centers in years with Pleky, Laich, Eller and Konopka.

Keep in mind it is a super long shot to be able to sign all three of them since there is no guarantee that they will even hit the market, especially Laich.

• Hello, onlychineseguy
      First of all Scott Gomez is an untouchable in a bad way meaning he will not be traded, bought out or like you stated sent down to Hamilton it wont happen.
      Next: Brooks Laich is not anywhere near worth 5m per, and is not second line center material.
      Ville Leino is a decent fit but depending on what line he will play on given that it is a second line I would rather put someone else there than him, his inconstitent like AK.

Habsnation is still standing.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

You have much to learn about hockey,
      Gionta was getting paid 3.5 in NJ 5.5 in MTL
      Cammy is also getting about 1.5 mil over his nhl worth.

Montreal is the most TAXED city in the NHL, players know this, earning 5 mil in montreal is NOT like earning 5 mil elsewhere…
      So all your numbers are off by 25% at least.

To put that in perspective, you need to find a player who’s better than AK for 2 to 2.5 mil, and who is WILLING to come to montreal.

and you wont, If AK has off days yet is still in the top 5 of our forwards, and top when it comes to points per $ and lets not forget hits… then get off the anti-russian bandwagon…

when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

• HabFanSince72 says:

I doubt Laich will be available.

Also he is a 20 goals/50 points per year level of player. Maybe not worth $5M.

Leino scores at the same rate as Laich but appears to be a “playoff performer” – a guy who scores key goals during big games. I would love to have him.

66. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I’m torn.
    I don’t know who I’d like to see win the next round.
    If the Flyers win, then it’s: “if we couldn’t beat Boston, and they lost to the Flyers, then we’d’ve had no hope.”
    If the Bruins win the Stanley Cup, then we only lose to the best.
    That’s why I was somewhat gratified when Carolina won the cup.
    And disappointed when the Flyers didn’t.

But I really don’t like the Bruins.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Stu Cowan offers his take on the Gomez dilemma in an article that’s well worth the read. Fans may be fed up hearing about it, but it’s our biggest question mark along with what to do with Markov.

I doubt that Montreal with send Gomez to Hamilton this fall. I’m sure they will give him one more kick at the can. I’m also not convinced that DD or Eller are ready to step in and be #2 centres at this point in their careers. Maybe down the road, but they need more seasoning during the next year.

If Gomez faulters next year, it will have been his 4th year in a row that he has not lived up to expectations. In that case, Gauthier will have no choice but to make a move. Especially seeing that he will have to give Subban and Price substantial raises. He’s going to have to find the coin somewhere. There just might be a compromise at that point in time that would satisfy both parties.

Gauthier could sit down with Scott Gomez in private. He would mention that he is unable to trade him. He would also mention that if he clears waivers, he would go to Hamilton on a permanent basis. There’s no benefit to having another team claim him on re-entry with us having to foot half his cap hit. The fact that we would have to spend the other half to bring in another centre would be counter-productive. That’s when we offer Gomez the chance to go and play in Europe. We make a deal to pay part of his salary and he gets to go to a league with little pressure and a light schedule. If he wants to return to the NHL in two years with another team, so be it. If not, he can stay in Switzerland, be a hero and enjoy the good life. It would sure beat riding the buses in the AHL and living in a place like Hamilton.

By that time, the other players on the team would have come to the realization that something had to be done and would accept the move. A win-lose compromise has to be better than a lose-lose outcome.

• mrhabby says:

i wonder if the organization has the balls to do the swiss thing steve. i hope PG surely tries to do something this summer. 3 years is surely enough time …he is getting older harder to bounce back…scarey.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I was under the impression that parking players in Europe was a loophole that could only be used when players went back to their home country (e.g. Huet in Switzerland).

In any case, it’s unlikely Gomez would forgo his NHL salary.

• eric says:

Gommez will not be on the team after next year guarenteed .We will not lose PK and Cary to keep Gomez no matter what kind of season he has next year. With that in mind I say get rid of him now and use than money to sign a free agent ot two to boost the positions that we need.Give DD and Eller decent chances to play as I think they proved that they can play and should be better nexr year.

• Bill H says:

Good post 24. I like the European option. However, its painful to think of an under-performing Gomez for another full season. I’m all for helping Gomez be the best he can, but not indefinitely. I think he should get until Christmas. But how do you replace him mid-season? Not many UFAs floating around at that point. Maybe Eller would be ready for second line duty, or DD.

Let’s hope we are not faced with this difficult problem. Gomez could yet have a rebound year.

68. JF says:

I don’t hate the Flyers anywhere near as much as I hate the Bruins so it won’t be any problem cheering for them. I think they can do it if their goaltending holds up.

As for the Bs, we’ll have to wait for our revenge. Richard Zednik had to wait two years after being levelled by Kyle MacLaren and taken off the ice on a stretcher. He scored both goals in a 2-0 Game 7 win in 2002 (I think). I have visions of Mac Pacioretty skating around Zdeno Chara to score the series winner for us.

Glad HIO will be around for the summer, but I guess I’ll become a bit less obsessive in checking it.

Hilarious piece on the Habs and royalty.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – Once we are eliminated, I really don’t care who wins the Cup. I certainly don’t hate the Bruins or Flyers the way some people do on this site. The venom that is spit out is a bit over the top as far as I’m concerned. I often wonder if that negative emotion is just a cover-up or diversion to the fact that Montreal isn’t just good enough and have once again ccme up short. The truth hurts, sometimes.

It’s finally sunny once again down here in Slowville. Spring is in the air and a man’s fancy turns to golf.

Have a great summer, Jane!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I don’t dig on the vitriol either.
        That’s why I stayed away. It was annoying.
        Then people complain about ‘knuckle-draggers’ on other forums.
        It gets just as bad here.
        People on glass forums shouldn’t throw blogs.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

You don’t get why we hate the Bruins?

Chara almost killing Max.

The Ferrence finger.

Milbury and Cherry on HNIC.

Thomas, Marchand, Recchi’s trash talking.

etc …

Hope this helps.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Totally agree. As for the Flyers: Hartnell, Carcillo, Pronger, Mike “PK has to respect me” Richards and the little rat Briere. Thanks but no thanks. Go Caps/Lightning

• Mattyleg says:

Uhhh, I never said that I didn’t get it.
            I said I didn’t subscribe to moronic outpourings of hatred.
            I enjoy supporting my team. I don’t enjoy despising other teams. Not something that turns me on.

As for HNIC, don’t watch it. I don’t. And my life is better for it.

As for ‘trash-talking’, the bigger person ignores that. It’s designed to get to you, and if you allow it to, you’ve given the ‘trash-talker’ what they want.

I hope that helps.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ManApart says:

Right on Matty. Some of the hypocricy on here, the past month, has been stifling. A guy like me, just stating the Bruins were the favourites, like that was a stretch, got attacked constantly, by the so called classy Habs fans. The same fans that incessantly called down Bruins fans for being boorish.

• JF says:

Steve – Before the Chara hit on Pacioretty, I didn’t hate the Bruins, but I do now. I think the hit was deliberate, I think Chara lied about it, and I think the team as a whole is dirty. I also think that a healthy Habs team would have beaten them. If that’s over the top, so be it.

The Bruins are the only team I hate. The Flyers, for all their reputation, don’t seem to me particularly dirty, and I certainly don’t hate the Leafs. The venom spewed at that team around here is incomprehensible to me.

Even though the Habs are out, I still enjoy the playoffs, usually cheering for the underdogs – Nashville this year, I guess.

My summer thing is cycling, and it’s finally getting warm enough. Happy golfing!

• Keith says:

I agreed with everything you said until you got to the laffs. They are the primary reason why the Habs are not on english tv, plus they represent the same type of hockey as the gooins. And don’t think for a second that Big-Mouth Burke doesn’t try to manipulate things behind the scenes (he did work for the NHL) to the detriment of teams like Montreal. I think that he does, and the Tarranna media supports him.

• JF says:

I never watch HNIC and find the commentary valueless about any of the teams (in the Eastern Conference, that is; the guys who do the West are better). As for the Leafs, they’re nowhere near as dirty as the Bruins. They’re actually fun to watch; they can be very good at times, but they can also be spectacularly bad. They haven’t been a threat to us for years, and I don’t find them hateful.

• habitual says:

While my interest almost disappears as well, my distaste, as Habsfan notes, is not based on a cover up or a diversion.

It’s based on both cheap, dirty plays by the Bruins and Flyers. And it is fueled by the idiotic comments made by Recchi (who I named my dog after when he was a Hab!), and Thomas.

No class organizations.

Let me put it another way: How are fans wearing Bruins or Flyers jerseys treated in the Bell Centre, and how are fans wearing Habs jerseys treated in Boston or Philly?

69. DarthWade says:

According to this, the Habs are interested in signing Jagr:

Uh, yeah, ok.

I think the worst thing about losing the first round (other than losing to a bunch of sore winners of all things) is having to wait until October to see the Habs again. Watching the playoffs is great but it’s just not the same without them.

• habstrinifan says:

At first blush, the cachet in the name makes this seem appealing. But more I think about it… NO WAY! Imagine JM with 2 underperforming ‘veterans’!

• showey47 says:

I would be very surprised if it happened. But if you can add player who is probably still top 6 material without giving up anything other then cash then you have nothing to lose.

70. habstrinifan says:

Heck Man! Who knew I REALLY am an effffffffffffng GENIUS. I just scanned through Francois Gagnon’s open letter to PG. My French isnt good so I have to sit and translate it but I think he is agreeing with my post re the DEFENSE, which I made this morning under the ‘post mortem’ thread and this was BEFORE reading his letter to PG.

Why this is a big DEAL to me? I do not want to see the mistake that I fear many fans and analysts are calling for hear. Committing free-agent dollars to WIZ …. would not be a good move if we can get MARKOV .. and wont be a good move if it is any where near the $ he will be expecting. He is NOT the answer.

Get a BIG, STEADY D.
    Sign Markov.. let WIZ go.
    Webber gets steady place.
    And of course Gill/Georges(corrected to Gorges) resigned and you also have Spacek and Subban whom you dont have to worry about now.

This post was corrected! The name Georges has been changed to protectthe innocent! YUK YUK YUK YUK and so on.

• smiler2729 says:

It’s GORGES not GEORGES

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Well, there are a lot of options on D. I personally think it shouldn´t be between Markov and Wisniewski. I´d like to have both and that´s not impossible. Markov takes a small pay cut, Wisniewski stays instead of Hamrlik. Gorges, Gill and Weber are resigned too. Mara, Sopel, Hamrlik and Picard all leave, we finally bring over Emelin from Russia and trade Spacek to a team with cap space that needs some experience on D for a 6 or 7nd rounder.

Markov Emelin
      Gorges Subban
      Gill/Weber Wisniewski
      Gill/Weber Nash

• habstrinifan says:

Dont think you can realistically keep Markov AND Wiz. But let’s say you do, unless Nash or Emelin turns out to be that BIG STEADY STAY AT HOME MEAN,EXPERIENCED D-MAN that we need then you have tied up loads of money and not filled a real need.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

True but I really believe in Emelin and this is the D I´d want to see. My main point was about Markov and Wisniewski. It´s just not impossible to keep both. Yet when you also take into account that Subban will get a big contract next summer it will create problems in a year from now. Real difficult decisions…

• Clay says:

7nd? :-?

__________________________
        The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag7

If you read one article today, it has to be MB’s piece on the royal wedding and the Habs. It will definitely be your morning smile.

72. Haligonian-Hab says:

Boone, honestly it was nice watching the wedding to get away from the heartbreak and hatred of the series that transpired.. It was also nice to divulge into something I think the Americans wish they still had in the
    Monarchy. It’s something they’re truly not included in, and they force their way in with their media in much of an ass kissing fashion. I thought of the USA chants, and the arrogance of many of the Boston fans as watched the wedding and I smiled the while time.

Until next year!

73. adam76 says:

While I want Boston to go down faster then a loose girl on prom night, I just can’t bring myself to cheer for the flyers.

• Mike Boone says:

I know. It’s a helluva dilemma, eh? I honestly think Boston will win the series because of Tim Thomas. Then it will become easier to cheer for TB (I hope) or Washington.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• Keith says:

Boone, I’m hoping they’ll pound the piss out of each other and there will be NO one left standing in the end. It’s pretty hard to root for the “Dark Side” of hockey.

• smiler2729 says:

I hate the Boston Bruins soooo effing much but I also cannot stand anything Philadelphia Flyer ever since the ’70s.

Who do I cheer for? Neither, I just watch it for the train wreck it’ll be. This series is ugliness looking at itself in the mirror. Personally I hope they maim the crap out of one another, making it easier for Tampa Bay to advance to the Final.

But for appearance’s sake, a Boston win makes the Habs look better.

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

74. Danno says:

Testing

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

75. habs-hampton says:

I’m happy for them, but Higgins had to go, he was like a lower paid Gomez, and Max was complaining in the room, so he coudn’t stay.

76. Jim Edson says:

Both cases two words “Contract Year!”

They would have to have invented a 24 step plan for Higgins to keep him straight and narrow in Montreal.

Yappierre grinned, smirked, dove and Bit_hed his way out of Montreal.

See if he can make it four teams in twelve months when his one year one time deal runs out!

Wonder why Anaheim was so eager to dump him as well after what a month? .

Look like a pattern?

Like the old saying, if it smells like sh_t just maybe it is sh_t!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

77. habstrinifan says:

I was castigated here as a FOOL when I said that Laps has too much skill and speed to not be a better than 4th line player in the NHL. It’s early and this is really the first indication that he will meet his potential .. but we may just be seeing another case of a habs FORWARD blossoming elsewhere.

Which is why there needs to be some real serious assessment before this coaching/management team let go any of Pouliot or AK et al.

Having said that. I keep getting this recurring fantasy that AK, Webber and Pouliot and draft picks are heading out and Mr Iginla is coming to La Grande Province.

Fantasy maybe but it just wont leave my mind.

78. Bill says:

A lower-paid Gomez? Tell me more, I’m interested in that!

I think you meant that as a criticism, but I’m not sure how it works …

Full Breezer 4 Life

79. ari says:

i said it before,if we had a line conbining lap,hig,sk,we could easily boston

80. RGM says:

Yes that is the missing link for the Habs that would have put us over the top. /sarcasm

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.