The mourning after

Hey, snap out of it.

Lars Eller played great. So did Dustin Boyd.

Carey Price was not shelled.

Three defensive errors, three GA.

No one should feel bad this morning.

Well, maybe Benoit Pouliot …

Morning Tweets from Dave Stubbs: Cammalleri was a very unhappy press-box resident last night, which is a very good thing and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun: Lars Eller really impressed me in person last night. The kid can play. They got somebody for Halak, folks.

• Canadiens a work in progress

Quotes from the room

Stubbs on P.K.

• Yvon Pedneault on Carey Price

• From a Toronto angle

Jordan Eberle scores a beauty and the Oilers romp

And video evidence to suggest Karri Ramo may not be the next Patrick Roy. The score was 1-1, and a Dman made a desperate clearing attempt in front of Ramo’s opposite number. The puck travelled the length of the ice, and …

2U6GZ5cmBw0

1. HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed.

2. TomNickle says:

That would be nice.  I didn’t check the stats after the game but I would imagine he has at least 3 missed shots.  If not more.

3. habaddict_andy says:

If he was doing what he is supposed to be doing than what went wrong?  It’s his timing that is wrong.  He’s always a second or 2 behind, and those timings cost the positioning to make plays.  The coach can’t hold you by the hand and guide you every shift.  If he can’t get it by himself than he’s out there trying to do what he is told but he just don’t get the concept of the whole idea.  I don’t see any hope for him to stay on the top 2 lines.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

4. TomNickle says:

I don’t think they should put Subban and Markov together even strength or on the powerplay.  Markov turns trash into gold.  No sense in putting PK with him.  I think you put Spacek with Subban and pick your poison with Markov, maybe even Cammalleri.

Subban must be with Hamrlik in my opinion.  For a great number of reasons.

5. SLONCOLD says:

well he had zero shots on goal, so he can start by hitting the net.

6. SLONCOLD says:

touche, well player sir… well played

7. TomNickle says:

He will lose the players eventually.

Just a matter of when.  Can’t keep doing this.  Can’t treat players like this.  Pouliot lacks confidence, benching him isn’t the solution to that.

8. krob1000 says:

You are right Picard cannot run a pp…but he shouldn’t be expected to.  With Markov healthy and Cammi on the wall though I think he could fill in adequately if they choose to have Subban (who can run a pp at the NHL level) handle the 2nd unit….I’m still unsure of how Markov and PK together will work. Picard can shoot the puck and on the pp he will have three options and one guy covering him….he can shoot, pass to Cammi or Pleks and then go to Markov……I think he can fill that role if given the chance….you don’t… fair enough.  I think expecting Picard to anchor a pp just isn’t happening now or ever.  I think he can do close to what MAB did….and maybe more because he is better defensively. IF he can’t? MAB is always an option ….

What do yo think they do with Subban and Markov…do they both play 1st unit? do they switch sides and take away Markov’s cross ice and dropping down (somethign I think is key to our succes…can Subban make that play), does Subban do enough on the right to beat out a lefty like Picard or MAB in a complementary role as Markov runs the pp.

9. Storm Man says:

May I ask where in my post did I say you didn’t play???. I was asking what sport you play. The number one weakest form of smack on the internet is you posting the same thing over and over again about Price. It is old Adam turn the page.

Oh no, hitting me where it hurts… my creativity. <eye roll>

11. HabFanSince72 says:

Timo – you’re the Sergei Kostitsyn of Habs I/O.

12. krob1000 says:

I know you are kidding…..was more for the benefit of the others who probably think I am in grade 5 based on what these posts often look like.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

This is why I enjoyed Timo’s absence. Bland, unimaginative and repetitive negativity that was repeated by other malcontents last summer to no end. Adding nothing to it, only thing he missed out on from his usual shtick was the Top-6 was too busy with Toronto strippers and illegal pharnaceuticals from the afternoon.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. TomNickle says:

I hope that was sarcastic.

15. krob1000 says:

That is waht I saw too…but he looked like he was trying to be physical presence….Moen did the same thing later on when he played with them…about a 2 count after the puck was delivered up ice…he made the alte hit and was out of the play.  Once Benny wandered down low and behind the net to make the hit….but the guy has to have some serious identity issues going on.  What is his role with Gio and Gomer? every other guy they put on that line seems to have specific instructions to got o the net (which he did), be a physical presence (which he did) and do some of the grunt work and create some space.  I thought he actually played alright.  The fact he was willing to engage physically should have been handled as an after game or video room example but the fact he was playing physical should have been viewed in a positive light IMO…. he looked like he cared…like Ak46.  Neither had a good game but it wasn;t for a lack of effort which is traditionally the issue with both. LEt’s start with baby steps because they both have talent….it is the work ethic taht has dogged them…..I thought they had that last night. As for the blatant favouritism towards veterans….it is obscenely ignorant and is very detrimental IMO.  .

The young guys play hurried and anxious, liek they are always onthe hot seat (aas if tehy aren;t already just playing in Motnreal), some of the vets played too relaxed.  I am no fan of Martin the coach….I like the commitment to defense and work ethic he tries to impose but the specific handling of players is horrid during games.  I still think this is a playoff team for sure though if it is allowed to be one.  Every time I watch another team play us and a kid makes a mistake….he is right back on next shift and the commentators say something along the lines of the coach is showing him a vote of confiedence or the kid has to learn from his mistakes and no better way than getting back on the horse.  In Montreal if you are under 25 and make a mistake your ass gets glued to the bench.

16. TomNickle says:

I liked Gomez’s game.  He shot the puck A LOT more.  He’s gonna do much better than last season.  Much better.

I don’t think he was noticed because he wasn’t carrying the puck down low and coughing it up.  He played a very good game in my opinion.  Maybe focused a bit too much on shooting but that’s okay early in the season.

17. TomNickle says:

Henry’s positioning makes up for his thinking ability and more than compensates for O’Byrne’s lack of both.

As for Darche.  No business on the ice late in a game up one goal or down one goal to be honest.

We have far better options for both.  Lapierre would’ve been great to put in front of the net in that situation, much better than Darche.  Boyd would’ve too.

Both were playing great games and were making great decisions.  What do the Leafs have to do to deal with Darche on the ice?  Nothing.  What do they do with Lapierre’s on the ice?  They’re drawn to him because of his ability to get under their skin and because he brings some offense to the table.  And simply put.  Boyd was a man possessed last night.  Causing turnovers, making great plays with and without the puck.

Darche was not the right man for that job and everyone in that locker room not named Martin knows it.

18. SLONCOLD says:

how do u think they’ll look against a fast moving team like the penguins?

by the way i only noticed gomez was playing when i looked at the box score lol.

19. Josh says:

I thought Kostitsyn played a pretty good game.

20. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hey Boone,  isn’t this the same stuff you banned this buffoon for?  Post after post of how bad the team and management sucks.  Get a new schtick Bruno, this one’s old as the hills.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

For one game, two years ago! He hasn’t shown it the last pre-season, in Hamilton last year or his call-ups. Pouliot looked like a damn 40-goal gatecrashing forward when he arrived, we remember how long that lasted.

I’ll say I’ve seen more of Henry than you have and frankly, I don’t see the decision making you speak of. Maybe he’d be better at clearing the net but he wouldn’t be able to keep up with NHL players and he doesn’t have the positioning skills of Gill. He’d cost us more than he’d help.

How did he dog Laps and Pyatt or Boyd? Laps had 12 minutes (Great time for a checker) and Pyatt had 14 minutes last night, Boyd and Pyatt both had more than AK! That’s solid ice time for your bottom-6 players. End of a game, you throw out the guys who have the best scoring talent and maybe a grunt willing to screen the goalie like Darche. Remember Carbo sending out guys like Kostopoulos at the end of games trying to tie it up? Yeah that worked well… Grinders are great for keeping the game close but at the end of the game any coach is going to send out the best scoring talents regardless of how their overall game has been to maximize odds of the guy having the puck getting the goal. JM had sent out his checking line in the final minute he’d have been universally torched for that in post-game analysis.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. TomNickle says:

We have holes that need filled just like every other team Timo.

23. RGM says:

We’re actually in Year Two of the Second Five Year Plan, also known as The Chemistry Experiment. Get with the times, man. :)

24. TomNickle says:

And I’m all ears if you can explain to me what business a good coach has in putting Mathieu Darche on the ice down a goal with less than a minute left in a hockey game.

Trust me when I say that Darche knows he shouldn’t be on the ice in that situation.  And so do his teammates.

25. TomNickle says:

What have any of those three players done to prove they can handle the NHL?

I’m not a coach in the NHL because I’m not nearly good enough.  But my short comings as a coach have nothing to do with O’Byrne, Picard and Darche’s inadequacies as players.

26. habsguy says:

re you serious, watch the replay,  kessel   had at least 2 steps on our D

27. SeriousFan09 says:

I would trust Gorges with the puck at the end of a shift over MAB at the start of one. I know Hamrlik is a goat for you but for crying out loud, at least he was were skating and reaching for those pucks bouncing past the offensive blue line rather than MAB who lazily reached or just dumbly watched as they went by him.

MAB has a shot but his passing on the PP took a while and opposing D muscled him off of the puck or forced him into bad decisions far too often. He was fine for a band-aid solution but with Markov for the season and Subban, he’s not necessary.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I hope you people notice how I am not saying anything here

29. punkster says:

With respect Tom, your first line is why you are not coaching in the NHL.

30. TomNickle says:

There’s more to it than Henry isn’t as good or Weber can’t do the job.

First of all.  Weber ran a powerplay in his first NHL playoff game.  Second unit.  It’s only one game.  But that was almost three years ago.  I’m sure he could do a better job than Picard.

Henry has shown better decision making that O’Byrne because O’Byrne’s decision making can’t be worse than it has been over the last season and a half.

Second.  Jacques cannot continue to reward guys like Kostitsyn, O’Byrne, Picard and Darche and continue to dog Pouliot, Pyatt and Lapierre.

I’m telling you that he will lose the locker room if guys who make repeated mistakes are rewarded while others are benched.

And this isn’t a case of icetime by necessity.  Darche and Kostitsyn had no business on the ice late in that game.

Lapierre, Boyd and Pyatt all earned that icetime.

31. jimmy shaker says:

I totally agree with you about PK, but think you might be going a little bit overboard on MAB…..yes, the point you are talking about did happen last year to MAB on occasion, but not as often as you are describing.  What I’m saying is that we should sign him, so  Marky, PK and MAB can rotate and be on the ice for basically the whole 2 minute PP causing fear and havoc for opposing coach’s and pk units.  Our PP was first in the league last year, and I believe MAB has something to do with that ranking!

Shaker

Wow… what a great team Bobby and Gauthier have built… in the year 7 of the 5 year plan we have bunch of guys in the system who aren’t even NHL material. That is awesome.

In his case it’s what he didn’t do… and that is do what Gui! do… score a freaking goal. Same goes for the one we gave up Halak for.

34. pic1983 says:

I dont understand everyone calling for MAB to come back.  THe biggest problem with MAB is that at the end of the season, he just became too predictable.  He’s a one trick pony.  The second he gets the puck and his shooting lane is blocked, he either coughs it up, or shoots anyways right at the opposing teams player.

We have all the tools for a successful powerplay, all we need is some creative coaching for a change.

35. jimmy shaker says:

I know that he seems to tense up sometimes when pressure is coming at him, but as a professional player in the NHL, I have faith that MAB can make a pass in close quarters.  Sure he’s going to give it up once in a while, but his shot trumps those mistakes.  The PP was first in the league for most of the year and ended up in first by the end of the season, so he and the team must have done something right!

Shaker

36. SeriousFan09 says:

When did Weber run a PP for Montreal? He only really ran a PP for Hamilton in his first season when the PP unit was based around his shot in 08-09 and Subban took over in 09-10. Picard isn’t much of a PP guy but Weber being better? I haven’t seen that in pre-season or his call-ups. Henry simply doesn’t think quickly enough for the NHL, I saw the same thing in Belle when I watched the Dogs last season, they don’t have the reaction time. There’s a reason he isn’t in the NHL for MTL and no NHL team has traded a 7th-rounder to us for him.

OB may be a popular goat, but Henry isn’t Gill with serious hitting. OB at least has some skating ability to get around better. We toss Henry out there, the opposition will be throwing out their top lines and burning him a lot.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. TomNickle says:

Same thing he was thinking when he played Kostitsyn in the last minute.  Same thing he was thinking when he benched Pouliot instead of Darche or Kostitsyn.

He’s back to his old self I see.

38. TomNickle says:

My problem with Picard is that he passes to players in traffic areas.  He’s going to get one of our forwards seriously injured.  He puts the puck on the stick.  But he passes it to teammates who are in bad position to take passes.

His powerplay acumen is highly overrated in my opinion as well.  More than questionable decisions in the neutral zone and at the top of the offensive(the easiest place to be on the powerplay other than the back door).

39. TomNickle says:

I’d rather play with 5 defensemen than have either one.

40. adam76 says:

Agree on Darche and O’Byrne – disagree on Picard.  He is a solid D man who played well in the preseason.

Also agree on Darche and the last 60 seconds, what the hell was he thinking?

The “Thoroughbreds” win loss record in 2010:
    5 – 13 Why worry?

41. jimmy shaker says:

Komisarek was horrible and has been horrible since Lucheese tuned him.  He doesn’t handle the puck anymore, can’t make a pass or make a right decision, takes bad pims, and was on the ice for both hab goals and noone was mentioning him.  Just gunnarson, who sucked as well.  I’m so glas bob let him go, well more like he chose toronto over us for about the same money.  Thanks mikey, may you continue to suck in toronto for years to come.  Hate to say it Tom, but I’d take hammer over this guy any day of the week.

Shaker

42. scrowe21 says:

actually he was still throwing a couple big hits as the game went on.

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

43. krob1000 says:

Darche had the penalty issues but the delay of gae…that just happens…the puck rolled on him and if it hadn;t he would have sent Halpern down the wing on a partial break….that was just a tough break IMO.  Having him on the ice in the dying minute? weird to say the least……did you see the sequence last ngiht where we ended up with OB and Gil on  the ice trapped in our end…it was scaaaary ….alf of the shift neither of was in front of the net….they were wandering around completely lost…and doint as they do…slowly.  The Leafs were too boneheaded to see the guy acrossw the crease by himself twice on the sasme shift and never even attempted a pass. I didn’t notice Picard do anything bad…not sure if it was he or OB that was suppsoed to have Brent…just another example of us leaving someone all alone in front. Subban played very responsibly…not like i the reseason…he took a couple chances but they were timely.  We need Markov  back ASAP and Cammi too. Hammer, I know you don’t like him but he is a significant upgrade over Picard, OB or Gill and even Spacek…or at least this version of Spacek we are seeing right now…..you see that whiff on Macarthur….what dman whiffs at a player 8 feet in front of his need cutting towards the middle and doesn’t even try to play the body or take away his time and space? that was bizarre…like Gill wandering up around the blueline with one of the fastest guys int he league standing at our blueline and the puck not securely in our possession….

44. TomNickle says:

Spacek relied on his stick against Ovechkin and it worked.  Maybe he thought it would continue to work this regular season.

As for Kostitsyn, I’m done with him.  He just doesn’t know how to play without giving the puck to the other team.

45. SeriousFan09 says:

White to replace Darche fine if he can get regular time, but Pacioretty needs some serious time in the AHL for skills development, no reason he should be ripped out of the AHL as it stands right now, for the moment he needs Top-6 time in Hamilton and just work on his shot and learning to use and take the body effectively.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. dallyd31 says:

Would you rather have Komo at $4.5MM or OB at $900K is what I am saying.

For a young, still developing guy at under $1MM, I still would keep him around.

47. TomNickle says:

Neither do O’Byrne and Picard.

Henry is able to grasp the concept of covering the front of the net and Weber can run a powerplay.  Something Picard showed last night that he’s completely unable to do.

48. pic1983 says:

Seems like the kid is going through some sort of identity crisis.  I have never seen a goalie change pads and masks as often as price does.  Martin Brodeur has had the same paint job on his mask for almost his whole career!

49. Fire_Laraque says:

Can someone answer these two questions;

1-WTF is Spacek doing?

2-What… Kostitsyn… I mean, dude.  I know it’s not a question but HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

50. scrowe21 says:

Maxpac plays LW doesn’t he?

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

51. adam76 says:

The “you didn’t play” is the second weakest, most lazy form of smack on the Internet.  Are you saying only people who have professionally played the sport are allowed to have opinions and debate?

The “Thoroughbreds” win loss record in 2010:
    5 – 13 Why worry?

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Weber isn’t an NHL player either, neither is Henry. Weber’s defensive ability will not cut it at the NHL level and he doesn’t have any bulk to hold the puck reliably, Henry just doesn’t have an NHL-level awareness, he reacts too slowly and doesn’t have the foot speed to cover up mistakes.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. TomNickle says:

Hamrlik, Picard and Gorges do the same thing but none of them bring the passing ability or shot of Bergeron.

Actually, prior to his surgery, Bergeron was a better skater than those three too.  Not sure if he will be when he’s back to game shape but the point remains.  He’s a better option for this team than those three are when it comes to offensive production.

54. smiler2729 says:

Pacioretty and White will be up to replace Darche and AK46 soon enough

I am only joking around as you can see. Your posts are always a fun read, obstacle course notwithstanding.

😉

56. pic1983 says:

The only problem with your logic is that once the puck is on MAB stick, and the other teams penalty killers key in on him, he isnt able to pass the puck down low for us to take advantage of the space he created, and he either gives up the puck, or shoots right at the opposing teams player.  Although he was extremely effective early on in the season, this is exactly what started happening once the opposing team started respecting his shot.  The second they would block MABs shooting lane with the puck on his stick, he would go all deer-in-headlights.

57. TomNickle says:

He had the giveaway and was caught deep twice on consecutive shifts when he was supposed to be the high man in the offensive zone.

But for some reason Andrei Kostitsyn can give the puck away more than 5 times in two periods with no consequences.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

They ignore Subban’s shot, it will be to their peril. Subban’s occasional issues at the blue line are nothing compared to the many times that if the puck wasn’t on the tape for MAB, it was going right past him and the team had to re-enter the zone and set up all over again because he was too lazy to skate for it. Subban can rush from the point like Markov can as well, forcing them to keep aware of both PP defenders because both of them can pop up and suddenly bury a goal from the circles or slot.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. krob1000 says:

On the Pouiliot ripping….I didn’t even see what he did or didn’t do that got him benched…I actually thought he came out of the gates alright,…a few hits, went to the net a couple times, had one shift where nearly potted twice.  What did he do? Did anyone catch what happened there? I saw one giveaway….but that was it…and it didn’t result in anything…was he gettting crapped on for wandering out of position ot make a couple of hits? anyone catch anything from the RDS broadcast as I watched CBC

60. TomNickle says:

Being better than Komisarek isn’t much of a vote of confidence.

61. pic1983 says:

Thats a lot of negativity for a season that is 1 game old.  Dont forget, theres still 81 games to go.  Im sure with cammy back in the line up, the boys will have a good game against pittsburgh.

62. TomNickle says:

O’Byrne, Picard and Darche are not NHL players.

This needs to change.  In the short term, Weber, Henry and White, Maxwell or Pacioretty would be better options.

Darche can’t be on the ice when we’re down a goal with less than a minute left in the game when we have Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec, Eller, Lapierre, Boyd and Kostitsyn.

On another note, Kostitsyn does nothing but turn the puck over.  He looked like he cared, so that’s good, but he, like Pouliot, is probably far too anxious to be getting meaningful minutes.

Pouliot’s benching is a bit of a head scratcher this time around.  He looks lost one out of every three shifts but certainly no more lost than Kostitsyn or Darche look.

63. dallyd31 says:

We do need a cannon from the point, no question.  It opens up space for sure and throws the D off.  Too bad Souray wasn’t cheaper on re-entry waivers ( like $1.5M).  His shot is as good as MAB and he is a tougher.

64. jimmy shaker says:

I’ve seen PK fumble the puck on more than one occasion, but I do have all the faith in the world that he will be a PP guy for years on this team.  Don’t know where your getting MAB only hitting the net 1 out of every 20 shots either?  And as far as the detroit PP, they have something we don’t……net presence.  Homer makes and made his living there.  That’s probably the ony reason he’s still there in motown is because he knows his role and sticks to it year after year.  So lidstrom doesn’t need that cannon because the goalie can’t see anything 9 times out of 10.  Our PP is much different.  We rely on the cross ice pass or the MAB (like last year) one timer from the point for our goals or rebounds off his shot.  I don’t think PG will sign him, but I really do think it will be a big problem for us as the season goes on.  MAB opens up the whole PP and creates space down low for gomer, gio and Pleks to work.

Shaker

65. pic1983 says:

Only if you can explain to me why darche made this team in the first place?

66. dallyd31 says:

I thought OB was fine.  He is no Markov and never will be.  I still think he is as good or better than Komo, who looked brutal last night.

67. TomNickle says:

And we only scored two goals.  Blaming our goaltender when the team in front of him could only muster two goals is pathetic.

68. CERF says:

I thought O’Byrne did well yesterday.. its Picard who i wonder why we even picked him up.. i know we got 2 men down.. but still.. i hated him in Ottawa ..even moreso now!

69. Mattyleg says:

There was an effing hilarious moment on RDS last night:

Benoit Brunet started wondering where Pouliot was. He said that it was hard to see, but that he couldn’t find him on the bench, and that he hadn’t seen him on the ice in a while. AS he was saying that, the camera, on JM, panned slowly down to reveal: Poupou himself on the bench, looking miffed.

Funny.

I was impressed with Poupou throwing his body around on his first shift, then lost track of him completely, much like Benny B.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. habs youngtimer says:

bottom line: PRICE STILL CAN’T WIN A GAME.

71. Mattyleg says:

Meh, it doesn’t matter who we got for Guigui, he wasn’t going to do it here anyway. Just getting rid of him was a step up for everyone involved.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

72. CERF says:

wow.. First time i can say i agree with you Shiloh!

Good post

73. adam76 says:

Could someone explain to me why Darche was on the ice with a min left?

The “Thoroughbreds” win loss record in 2010:
    5 – 13 Why worry?

74. SeriousFan09 says:

Even if it isn’t as hard as MAB’s, he’s still a kid and has time to develop that shot and accuracy counts for something, Subban’s shot tends to actually get close to the net on more than 1 in 20 attempts. Nick Lidstrom doesn’t have a cannon either but he places his shot with accuracy and that does a ton for a team. The simple ability to keep the puck in the zone creates many more opportunities than MAB who killed tons of momentum last season by just letting it dribble by him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.