The mourning after

Hey, snap out of it.

Lars Eller played great. So did Dustin Boyd.

Carey Price was not shelled.

Three defensive errors, three GA.

No one should feel bad this morning.

Well, maybe Benoit Pouliot …

Morning Tweets from Dave Stubbs: Cammalleri was a very unhappy press-box resident last night, which is a very good thing and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun: Lars Eller really impressed me in person last night. The kid can play. They got somebody for Halak, folks.

• Canadiens a work in progress

Quotes from the room

Stubbs on P.K.

• Yvon Pedneault on Carey Price

• From a Toronto angle

Jordan Eberle scores a beauty and the Oilers romp

And video evidence to suggest Karri Ramo may not be the next Patrick Roy. The score was 1-1, and a Dman made a desperate clearing attempt in front of Ramo’s opposite number. The puck travelled the length of the ice, and …

2U6GZ5cmBw0

1. Fire_Laraque says:

Can you answer me this? How many times did he give the puck away yesterday?

2. habs001 says:

overall the leafs forwards are not in the top 25 in the nhl but they scored 3 goals and had several really good chances…just good solid goaltending by the habs will not be enough based on our d play…our goalies will have to stop shots regularly that if they go in cannot be blamed for….ak46 just does not generate enough scoring chances in a game to score 25-30 goals….if he does not improve this he would have to have one of the best goal scoring chances and goals scored ratio in the nhl to get 25-30 goals….till markov and hammer get back and gill ,spacek,obyrne play better we are looking at giving up 3-5 goals a game unless we have spectacular goaltending

3. 123456 says:

nice post – whether we are in love with price or dislike him, a thoughtful post is always appreciated.

4. Mr. Biter says:

I posted earlier this summer (a few times) that until AM comes back we needed MAB. PK is a superior player but AM & MAB were the only Hab d-men who could one time a pass for a shot (hard shot) on net. Our PP sucked till MAB came aboard last year and seems to be in the same boat again (if you include exhibition games). I realize he is error prone playing defense but without him playing on the PP we would not have made the playoffs last year. He even played half decent in the playoffs untill the Flyers series where they showed his defensive (and size) liability side. But if the PP woes continue we are in deeeeeeeeppppp trouble.

BTW was MAB signed by anyone.

5. Harani says:

Ian White calls the Eberle goal “flukey”. WTH was he watching?

“It must be love!”

6. Shiloh says:

Pleks in an instant. One more serious hit on Bergeron and his career could be over. And – Tomas Jagr plays hard every shift.

7. mchab33 says:

Why aren’t you playing goal for an NHL team?  Your ability to break a play down from you couch is amazing.  My bet, Phil Kessel on a breakaway against you, you poo your pants.

8. smiler2729 says:

This loss wasn’t on the Habs’ goaltending so put away your microscope. Awful power play and losing too many faceoffs – and NO URGENCY.

As for Price, first one, a deflection – no chance. Second one, breakaway by Kessel, made the save but bad bounce and bad luck - it still barely trickles in. Third one, surprize backhand from the slot, tough save but it had to be made. You might see it differently wearing Halak glasses, it’s all relative.

Habs take on a mean, pissed off Penguin team in Pittsburgh Saturday, I say they BEAT ‘EM.

9. Shiloh says:

I think with Cammy back in Pouliot drops to the 3rd line and our top six become very dangerous. Eller was great – if he puts on a few pounds he might become a top tier player. AK46 had some jump and Tomas Jagr was a presence. Gionta almost scored to tie the game with a few seconds left. PK played well. Halpern and Boyd are soldiers – they accept their assignments and engage the enemy.

I have been one of the biggest knockers of Price, but in this game he gave the team a chance to win. He made some good saves. Unlucky on the 2nd goal – he actually made a terrific save and then his momentum dragged it in.

Hamrlik will help, and Markov will elevate the team when he returns. Pittsburgh will be a tough game, and we may need Price to stand on his head.

10. Harani says:

Also, something I don’t know how much it was mentioned, but so far,

DUSTIN BOYD > > > >  SERGEI KOSTITSYN

“It must be love!”

11. Laramy87 says:

It is a brutal atmosphere. I hate the leafs with every ounce of my body, but i sucked up my pride and took my gf last year to watch TB vs Leafs for her bday. It was dull and boring and quiet. I figured lasts nite game was going to be better being home opener and with the habs, it was not. I could almost hear a pin drop at times. No passion no fun. PPl in front of me didn’t get back to thier seats until 6:50 left inthe second period??? REALLY?

12. matraque says:

Who told you Bergeron don’t want to be here?  Source please.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

13. matraque says:

Bergeron all the way.  I really like Plek, but if i could take a french canadian of equal talent, i always take the french canadian.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Difference is Plekanec wants to be here.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. I watched the “highlights” 3 more times this morning to be sure.

First goal Price had no chance.

Kessel breakaway goal I thought was horrible by Price (aside from being horrible defensively), Kessel had nowhere to go as a Hab defender got back to take away the move across the net. Watch it again – Kessel could not move towards the center of the net. All Price had to do was track Kessel and cover his post. The pressure is all on Kessel as he is moving fast with limited real estate. Bad, bad goal at a bad time. It’s not like Kessel made a great shot.

Third goal. Price was out far enough – the back hand was clever, but that’s a relatively easy blocker or pad save if Price was paying attention. I was trying to figure out what he was looking at, but I couldn’t.

Third period – yes he made some good stops. But we need a goalie for 60 minutes, not when he feels like it.

Summary: Technically, aside from the breakaway which was bad judgement on his part, he looked sound.

I think it’s a focus or concentration issue, maybe just rust/rhythm issue (we hope) he hasn’t played a lot against NHL regulars lately.

I’m actually glad we have a couple of tough games on top of each other now as it will give Price enough challenging work that he can get it going.

Or not.

There was a fine goaltending performance last night. Some guy that no one here had any interest in. A guy who lost his job but came back from the summer ready to play. Does that sound familiar? Didn’t think so.

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game” – Carey Price

16. Mattyleg says:

Was “wear a metal helmet” part of Bergeron’s contract, do you know?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. riazp says:

MAB would probably play for 500k…if thats the case…sign him and have him on as a pp specialist and on the 4th line…plus it will make pauline marois happy

18. Mattyleg says:

I love the first week or so of the season.

There are all kinds of goals and plays that you’ll never see for the rest of the year, based on shaky communication between defensemen and quick forwards who aren’t scared to take risks because they haven’t been pummeled into unconsciousness while they were doing toe-drags and dangles.

That all includes us.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

19. Lazarus_taxa says:

Wow, your new material is awesome!  Oh crap…

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Some people have senior moments, Peter Chiarelli has Sather moments.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. riazp says:

Agreed, JSG made some really key save…against eller on his knees and in the dying seconds…the leafs need JSG to find his old form if they want to have a chance of making the playoff

22. SmartDog says:

Pleks anyday.  Same kind of offensive upside in an excellent two-way player who provides leadersihp and somehow still flies under the radar (isn’t over-rated).

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

23. joshua94k says:

Joke of the night:

I believe it was CBC’s Eliotte Friedeman who attributed the Leafs dismal season last year to bad practices and poor game preparation. He even sounded serious when he said that. Is that a knock on the coaching calibre of Ron Wilson. He did try different things like throwing tennis ballls and getting his players to catch them in practice.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

24. SeriousFan09 says:

I wouldn’t take him, others would but so far Pleks is proven for MTL and Bergeron… I just don’t get a good vibe from him honestly, something about his game just doesn’t feel like it’s built for when you really need him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. riazp says:

I dont understand how boston can give him that much money with their futre cap problems….

26. SmartDog says:

I agree that defensive break-downs was our #1 weakness.  And either the PP or a couple of forwards who need to step it up were second.  So Price did do pretty well, he played up to the average of the team at least I would say.

All I’m saying is he was out-dueled by JSG. We need to be able to say this kind of stuff about him some games:

“on the other end JSG played very well – the save on eller from his knees
    and gionta at the end were huge….he took enough net away from pleks
    to make him hit the post.”

And yeah, last night would’ve been a good start.  All I’m sayin’.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

27. SmartDog says:

Torona fans are just so excited to have won something, they’re like high school kids cheering on their team.  It’s sad. Let them have their fun.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

28. mchab33 says:

Did you enjoy the emotion of the pre-game?  Me and my buddies were laughing so hard…..the Leafs have no idea how to pull these things off.

How about how empty the stands were after the second period?

Worst venue to watch a game.

29. Harani says:

Patrice Bergeron gets 3 years/15 million. I think that’s way too much to give him Pleks money. Who would you have at 5 million, Pleks or Bergeron?

“It must be love!”

30. 123456 says:

agreed dog, i am a price supporter as i have seen the upside he has. the 3 goals were all nice plays by TO – but yes if he had stopped one then the game goes to OT. while saying that – he was left out on his own at leat a half dozen tiems and he did make a few great saves… so it’s hard to really say if only he had 1 of hte 3 goeals because really he stopped what could have been a couple more goals. on the other end JSG played very well – the save on eller from his knees and gionta at the end were huge….he took enough net away from pleks to make him hit the post.

so the positives – i though the habs carried a lot of the play. price looked great at times. habs have solid 3rd and 4th line. maybe eller sticks at top 6 guy.

i hate to say it but the biggest negative is HUGE defensive breakdowns. first goal we can chaulk up to pleks not string on the puck (which is unusual), second goal…. calling hal gill – hello.. terrbile play. third… well we all saw it right. (also need better PP)

so the take away – i’m happy hockey is back, habs looked good. get hte PP working and the habs will be even better to watch

31. Habsrule1 says:

Wow…talk about having it in for Price. There were actually more than just those 3 defensive errors, but those were the 3 that led to goals. Price bailed out the team plenty. They just decided to do the opposite for him.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

32. Ice Storm says:

I’m in agreement with AK46 playing a decent game…  he was hard on the puck and the opposition, controlling the puck quite a bit in the O zone…  admittedly I am an AK fan… he looks to be in much better shape with more jump this season versus last…   he seemed to be a bulky loaf at the beginning of last season, a throwback to the old school training camp days…   I’m not saying he looks to be in Biosteel shape like Cammi or PK… but again had jump and loks more….  svelt?  :)  lol

That line will rock again with Cammi back…  not a knock against Eller at all..  he played great..  just a sync/chemistry thing…

Combination for success: 46-14-13

33. matraque says:

So…. Markov intervention was real…  Interesting.

Good interview with Carey.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

34. Malreg says:

When your team hasn’t been to the playoffs in 6 years, beating the Canadiens is like winning the Stanley Cup.

35. SmartDog says:

I agree with most that there was nothing terrible about the game. It was about as a reasonable guess would expect.

But there wasn’t much great about it either.   And though I think Price played well most of the game, this does bother me:

Three defensive errors, three GA.

EVERY TIME Price loses people say “he didn’t get any support”.  A goalie needs to bail out his team.  If he can’t do that now and then – or even on a regular basis – he’s not a #1 goalie in the NHL.  I’m not slagging Price. It’s early in the year and he’ll have better games.  But I am tired of this “not his fault” stuff.  We outshot the other guys.  And still lost.  And that sucks.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

36. jimmy shaker says:

Can’t wait for MAB to get back and then he and Marky can get the PP going.  If we don’t have the PP this year, then I believe the playoffs will not be in our forecast.  Our 5 v 5 play which sucked last year and seems to be no quite similar again so far will be our major challenge.  So the one area we can exploit, is the PP…..so get MAB back for 750000 thou, get  picard out of there and at least the PP will keep us in contention.  0 for 3 or 0 for 4 last night.  Marky and MAB = instant offense, stamp it!  Price did the job last night, although I would like to see him wait out shooters more on breakaways, seems like he and Jaro (last year) routinely were/are beaten on breakaways.

Shaker

37. Laramy87 says:

Was at the game last nite in Toronto, i have to say the atmosphere sucked. Leaf fans are so quiet. The loudest cheer came for Johnny Bower before the game.

I have to say as well, my friends (all leaf fans) dont knwo squat about hockey. Im talking about how habs outplayed them, i get responses like how to you figure, blah blah blah. Oh man did yuo watch the game? This morning ona radio show the host said, The leafs just beat a far inferior team!… Are you kidding me, what makes leafs this delusional? They are 1-0 on an 82 game schedule, they beat tha habs the didnt win the cup….

Just terrible ppl lol

38. spos080808 says:

Bergeron was given $5 mil a season last night.

___________________

Timo is the biggest joke & fraud in the history of hockey “fans”

39. spos080808 says:

Yah Eller was terrible last night. Awful. He should be playing in some rec. league, not the NHL. Guy is a fraud. A bust. A little girl on skates. No wonder the Blues gave him away. Who would want a player like Eller. Awful. Hes awful!

___________________

Timo is the biggest joke & fraud in the history of hockey “fans”

40. spos080808 says:

Could not even go one game without spewing your nonsense huh…

Funny how you pulled this and how the team has no heart all last season. Then when the Caps were up 3-1. Then when Pitt was up in the series…BUt after the Habs got their act together and won each series you were speaking like “This is incredible. I could not be more happy. We fans deserve this.”…Are you kidding me? You and Clay4BC. You do not fool anyone.

___________________

Timo is the biggest joke & fraud in the history of hockey “fans”

I am actually talking about Plekanec. According to the popular belief we HAD to trade Halak in order to sign Plekanec to whatever ridiculous contract he was given.

42. pic1983 says:

I can definitely see your point, however, we have been one of the leagues top powerplays for the last 3 years.  The only constant being Andre Markov.  Bergeron is so awful defensively, that it totally negates his worth on the powerplay, and considering our depth when it comes to bottom 6 players, I wouldnt want to keep bergeron playing forward on the 4th line.

What our powerplay needs is some creative coaching, and practice.  Seeing as it was abysmal throughout the pre-season, if I was the coach, this would be my main focus. I think we have enough tools to be effective without resorting to a powerplay specialist like MAB.  IMO, the fact that we couldnt score on 3 straight opportunities in the second last night is what sunk us.

43. TomNickle says:

I’m not an authority at all.

Players who aren’t skilled offensively know they shouldn’t be on the ice in that situation and so do their teammates.

Like I put it to another poster here last night.  Do you think Ron Wilson would have put Colton Orr on as his extra attacker if the score had been the other way around?

How do you think the room reacts to that kind of coaching decision?

Lapierre and Boyd would’ve been better options.

Putting a career plugger on the ice in that situation is more than questionable.

I’m the first to admit when I’m wrong, but I’m not even close to wrong about this.  Darche had no business on the ice.  Let me ask you this.  How experienced is Darche when it comes to being on the ice down a goal late in an NHL game?

44. pic1983 says:

Jamaican Half-moon spicy patties, AKA “Jamaican Patties” are freakin awesome!

45. dallyd31 says:

Weber has proven ( unfortunately for us) on several ocassions that he is also not an NHL player.  Either is Henry.

46. dallyd31 says:

Eller was great…what are you talking about.

Everyone is commenting on how good Eller looked..and he is a rookie.

47. _Habsoloutly_ says:

stfu

48. SlovakHab says:

I feel the same..

49. pic1983 says:

Yeah he was pretty invisible last night.  Also might have something to do with the fact that hes wearing #11.  Took me a little while to get used to that.  I dont like the fact that hes wearing number 11, he should have kept his 91.

50. punkster says:

There’s the issue. You say “Trust me” then assume to know exaclty what a player is thinking. You come on like you are the authority on coaching and say 3 experienced players are not NHL players then name 5 clearly not-ready-for-NHL players as their replacements.

In my opinion Darche was on the ice because JM wanted experience out there and not too many of the top players were delivering squat all night. We almost tied it in that last minute, not that Darche had anything to do with that directly, but JM needed the experienced guys to show the way. Didn’t work out but it was close.

We’re not experts, Tom. We’re fans.

Edit: Just to add, enjoy your holiday weekend Tom. I’ll miss the Pens game as I’ll be up north fishing. Let\s both give these guys a few games before passing judgment, shall we? :)

Its OK Timo, we know what your thinking.!  But were going to be alright. Three errors and three goals, Gill and Obyrne got out of position and the PK took a penalty that cost us. Also our PP needs work.

A couple of games under our belt and we will be a better oiled club.

52. LA Loyalist says:

Do you even know that we lost to the Leafs last night? On national television?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

53. LA Loyalist says:

Nice rebuttal, Serious.

But no one living in Montreal would ever bother with Toronto strippers.

Pharmacological products I don’t know.

I personally like those little Jamaican half-moon spicy patties :)

54. pic1983 says:

It was game one of 82.  AK and BP are both in contract years and have a lot of pressure to perform.  Lets give them a few games before we start ripping them.  If they play like they did last night for the first 5 games, than by all means, let the ripping begin!

As for Darche.  I didnt understand why everyone raved about him at the end of last season.  He was also abysmal during the pre-season and, even though i know he’s on a one way deal, he should not be on this team.  We have enough bottom six players in our system that I would send him down and put him on waivers.  If he gets claimed, good for him.

55. LA Loyalist says:

slow, and confused.

56. krob1000 says:

so….Moen and Darche are to finish their checks …..but Pouliot is not supposed to (he did wander but it was for establishing a physical presence early).  If they don’t ask him to play physical then fine…but I would love to know what they ask of him specifically.  Teh finishing of checks early int he game is something that is usually done at all levels to get the dmen thinking for the rest of the game and maybe have them panic and cough one up….if that is not what he is being asked then fine. But why Moen and Darche can do it and he can’t ….from the uninformed spectator it sure likes like bias.  I think Pouliot ahs to be engaged physically and care to be a factor….It hought he did that….so he finished a hit alte…it wasn’t a penalty and sent a message.  If he did it all the time? diff’t story.  He also play s with Gioa nd Gomez whoa re two of the most responsible defensive forwards on the team…..you would think given the roles of other players put on that line and the way gio and gomer work together that last night was pretty close to hsi role.  yeha he may have wandered a bit but he plastered his man, sent a message, cared and by my count still leaves a 4 on 4 going back the other way.

57. LA Loyalist says:

I think you’re correct.

Good thing we have Guy Boucher in Hamilton, who’s used to working with the kids…. Oh Crap!

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game of the year” Carey Price

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Agreed.

59. TomNickle says:

That would be nice.  I didn’t check the stats after the game but I would imagine he has at least 3 missed shots.  If not more.

60. habaddict_andy says:

If he was doing what he is supposed to be doing than what went wrong?  It’s his timing that is wrong.  He’s always a second or 2 behind, and those timings cost the positioning to make plays.  The coach can’t hold you by the hand and guide you every shift.  If he can’t get it by himself than he’s out there trying to do what he is told but he just don’t get the concept of the whole idea.  I don’t see any hope for him to stay on the top 2 lines.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

61. TomNickle says:

I don’t think they should put Subban and Markov together even strength or on the powerplay.  Markov turns trash into gold.  No sense in putting PK with him.  I think you put Spacek with Subban and pick your poison with Markov, maybe even Cammalleri.

Subban must be with Hamrlik in my opinion.  For a great number of reasons.

62. SLONCOLD says:

well he had zero shots on goal, so he can start by hitting the net.

63. SLONCOLD says:

touche, well player sir… well played

64. TomNickle says:

He will lose the players eventually.

Just a matter of when.  Can’t keep doing this.  Can’t treat players like this.  Pouliot lacks confidence, benching him isn’t the solution to that.

65. krob1000 says:

You are right Picard cannot run a pp…but he shouldn’t be expected to.  With Markov healthy and Cammi on the wall though I think he could fill in adequately if they choose to have Subban (who can run a pp at the NHL level) handle the 2nd unit….I’m still unsure of how Markov and PK together will work. Picard can shoot the puck and on the pp he will have three options and one guy covering him….he can shoot, pass to Cammi or Pleks and then go to Markov……I think he can fill that role if given the chance….you don’t… fair enough.  I think expecting Picard to anchor a pp just isn’t happening now or ever.  I think he can do close to what MAB did….and maybe more because he is better defensively. IF he can’t? MAB is always an option ….

What do yo think they do with Subban and Markov…do they both play 1st unit? do they switch sides and take away Markov’s cross ice and dropping down (somethign I think is key to our succes…can Subban make that play), does Subban do enough on the right to beat out a lefty like Picard or MAB in a complementary role as Markov runs the pp.

66. Storm Man says:

May I ask where in my post did I say you didn’t play???. I was asking what sport you play. The number one weakest form of smack on the internet is you posting the same thing over and over again about Price. It is old Adam turn the page.

Oh no, hitting me where it hurts… my creativity. <eye roll>

68. HabFanSince72 says:

Timo – you’re the Sergei Kostitsyn of Habs I/O.

69. krob1000 says:

I know you are kidding…..was more for the benefit of the others who probably think I am in grade 5 based on what these posts often look like.

70. SeriousFan09 says:

This is why I enjoyed Timo’s absence. Bland, unimaginative and repetitive negativity that was repeated by other malcontents last summer to no end. Adding nothing to it, only thing he missed out on from his usual shtick was the Top-6 was too busy with Toronto strippers and illegal pharnaceuticals from the afternoon.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

71. TomNickle says:

I hope that was sarcastic.

72. krob1000 says:

That is waht I saw too…but he looked like he was trying to be physical presence….Moen did the same thing later on when he played with them…about a 2 count after the puck was delivered up ice…he made the alte hit and was out of the play.  Once Benny wandered down low and behind the net to make the hit….but the guy has to have some serious identity issues going on.  What is his role with Gio and Gomer? every other guy they put on that line seems to have specific instructions to got o the net (which he did), be a physical presence (which he did) and do some of the grunt work and create some space.  I thought he actually played alright.  The fact he was willing to engage physically should have been handled as an after game or video room example but the fact he was playing physical should have been viewed in a positive light IMO…. he looked like he cared…like Ak46.  Neither had a good game but it wasn;t for a lack of effort which is traditionally the issue with both. LEt’s start with baby steps because they both have talent….it is the work ethic taht has dogged them…..I thought they had that last night. As for the blatant favouritism towards veterans….it is obscenely ignorant and is very detrimental IMO.  .

The young guys play hurried and anxious, liek they are always onthe hot seat (aas if tehy aren;t already just playing in Motnreal), some of the vets played too relaxed.  I am no fan of Martin the coach….I like the commitment to defense and work ethic he tries to impose but the specific handling of players is horrid during games.  I still think this is a playoff team for sure though if it is allowed to be one.  Every time I watch another team play us and a kid makes a mistake….he is right back on next shift and the commentators say something along the lines of the coach is showing him a vote of confiedence or the kid has to learn from his mistakes and no better way than getting back on the horse.  In Montreal if you are under 25 and make a mistake your ass gets glued to the bench.

73. TomNickle says:

I liked Gomez’s game.  He shot the puck A LOT more.  He’s gonna do much better than last season.  Much better.

I don’t think he was noticed because he wasn’t carrying the puck down low and coughing it up.  He played a very good game in my opinion.  Maybe focused a bit too much on shooting but that’s okay early in the season.

74. TomNickle says:

Henry’s positioning makes up for his thinking ability and more than compensates for O’Byrne’s lack of both.

As for Darche.  No business on the ice late in a game up one goal or down one goal to be honest.

We have far better options for both.  Lapierre would’ve been great to put in front of the net in that situation, much better than Darche.  Boyd would’ve too.

Both were playing great games and were making great decisions.  What do the Leafs have to do to deal with Darche on the ice?  Nothing.  What do they do with Lapierre’s on the ice?  They’re drawn to him because of his ability to get under their skin and because he brings some offense to the table.  And simply put.  Boyd was a man possessed last night.  Causing turnovers, making great plays with and without the puck.

Darche was not the right man for that job and everyone in that locker room not named Martin knows it.

75. SLONCOLD says:

how do u think they’ll look against a fast moving team like the penguins?

by the way i only noticed gomez was playing when i looked at the box score lol.