The mourning after

Hey, snap out of it.

Lars Eller played great. So did Dustin Boyd.

Carey Price was not shelled.

Three defensive errors, three GA.

No one should feel bad this morning.

Well, maybe Benoit Pouliot …

Morning Tweets from Dave Stubbs: Cammalleri was a very unhappy press-box resident last night, which is a very good thing and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun: Lars Eller really impressed me in person last night. The kid can play. They got somebody for Halak, folks.

• Canadiens a work in progress

Quotes from the room

Stubbs on P.K.

• Yvon Pedneault on Carey Price

• From a Toronto angle

Jordan Eberle scores a beauty and the Oilers romp

And video evidence to suggest Karri Ramo may not be the next Patrick Roy. The score was 1-1, and a Dman made a desperate clearing attempt in front of Ramo’s opposite number. The puck travelled the length of the ice, and …

1. jimmy shaker says:

I hope you’re right….but disagree with your take on PK’s shot.  Not near as close to MAB’s howitzer.  Sure PK has the talent and the ability to dangle back there and do his savardian spinarama, but without the cannon MAB has, the other teams will not be too worried.  MAB, PK and Marky lagging all the minutes on the PP, would put terror into opposing coach’s and penalty killers.  I think it would work great.  MAB’s shot opens up alot of lanes for Marky to thread his passes and for PK to activate the back door!  I’ll wait and see what Marky does for the PP when he comes back, but I hope MAB will still be around by then!  His rehab is finishing up soon as well!

2. krob1000 says:

lol …..where can I get one of those….I just don’t edit them until I see them on the main page and I often just get them on there when the phone rings at work too.  More often than not someone replies too quickly and I can’t do anything about it when I do have time to try and edit …it isn’t a spelling issue….it is a very, very serious typing issue.  Worst thing about this problem is I have worked here for 5 years…and don’t get any better.  I type on an angle the way the keyboard is….my right hand is actually near my left shoulder and my left is way out …..not sure if that is why it never gets any better but I also have my palms down and am often told that is a big no no too…..and that I should be typing from the air.  Oh well… least you have the new translator tool!

3. SeriousFan09 says:

1 Goal off of a picture-perfect feed by Koivu (Hey that sounds familiar!) That Tom The Bomb could have cashed in while he was here. He was invisible while Carolina took the game back and won it. That’s a typical performance, never around when the team actually needs him.

4. Jordio-oh says:

A very sizeable post without a single mention of the rest of the team.

Pretty obvious where your focus lies. Price played on a team last night, in case you were to preoccupied over-analyzing each goal he let in.

Cool I get to use my brand new krob1000 translator/spell check!!!

6. matraque says:

Can someone point to me why O’Byrne is on this team?

Also… Everyone seems to be ripping on Pouliot now… interesting.  I remember everyone telling he was BETTER then Latendresse (who will kill it in minn btw).  Is the Pouliot love fest over already?  Pouliot already had more chances then Latendresse…..

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban’s got a booming shot to throw at the net and far more importantly, he can keep the puck in at the blue line whne it comes his way, tired of seeing those lazy reachs by MAB rather than actually skating after the puck. He’s got far more talent and tricks to use in a PP situation, in a month we’ll be wondering why anyone was moaning about MAB.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

2010-11 season predictions from Down Goes Brown, personal favourite…

March 2, 2011 – The trade deadline passes. Maple Leafs
    general manager Brian Burke keeps his promise to not ask Tomas Kaberle
    to waive his no-trade clause, in the sense that throwing a burlap sack
    over someone’s head and shoving them into a cargo plane bound for
    Vancouver is not technically “asking”.

9. jimmy shaker says:

MAB would be the offense from the backend that the boys really need.  He’d get at least 15 goals from the backend easily.  Picard doesn’t have the shot that MAB does nor does PK.   MAB while not close to the minus 20 another person posted below ( in the playoffs last year, I believe he was at minus 12)  would be far better suited at getting 10 minutes a game + the PP minutes.  IF our PP doesn’t role, then our 5 v 5 play has to be better, and based on the size of this team, the 5 v 5 aspect really didn’t improve from last year.  THerefore just like last year, the PP has to be our bread and butter just like it was.  With a healthy Marky and a healthy MAB, I really think we can ride the PP all the way into the playoffs.  Remember, the regular season is a different team every game/night, not the same team like the post season.  THis is to MAB’s advantage, and the PP’s.  Sign him and get rid of Picard, we already have weber……didn’t impress me last night anyway!

10. habs001 says:

it would have been nice to win yesterday because now we go into pitts where there is a good chance we will lose and after come home to play tampa and all the pressure will be on us,,,tampa will be nice and relaxed and they play well in montreal…the season could get ugly very fast if tampa scores 5-6 goals…

11. krob1000 says:

I am actually not all that adverse to ringing MAB back if there is room for him…which there isn’t as of now.  what happens when we have MAB is that we essentially have two dmen who are liabilities at 5 on 5 in he and Gill …but both are studs in specialt eam situations.  MAb can play forward mintues but we also shored the depth dept up and now have 4 lines we can roll …so…. we have so many great  role players on the pp and guys who can play pp but the pices are nott ideally matched.  Markov plays the left like a genius but he needs a lefty, hard shooting pp guy on the right point.  We have subban who play s in Markovs spot and is a righty…..but then Markov would have to play out of position….or PK odes.  This is a reason why Weber has never had any success with us…a right hand shot on a pp that is designed to isolate a left handed cannon from the right point….and have the left dman be mobile and a set up guy. I actually think that if you put Weber on the left side for the pp he could do alright but every chance he has ever had with us has him out of position and takes away his biggest asset which is his heavy shot. It will be interesting to see if Subban plays with markov on the pp……or if they have the second unit attack from the other side…..

12. riazp says:

lol good one!

13. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I will never understand that ‘equal talent’ argument, there’s always other elements besides talent that you need to look at, experience, character, leadership… and besides why would you chose the player with way more pressure on his shoulders to perform? Doesn’t make sense.

14. SLONCOLD says:

the pad thing is interesting. over one year he went from:

-velocity 7700 (hybrid pad.. the red ones)

– epic 8080( pre curved butterfly pad)

– velecoity v4 ( white but they red blue inserts in the knee role)

the 2 velocity pads play the same but the epic pad is completely different.

just odd to see so such change in his goalie gear. goalies are a funny bunch and usually hate changing gear. just a observation.

15. Storm Man says:

Maybe the FACT he hates the Habs………

16. SeriousFan09 says:

You’d swear Markov was out for 5 months the way we’ve got hand-wringing about the PP unit, he gets back and it hits full speed again, RDS/CKAC are just moaning that Habs let another hometown boy go, one who was close to -20 on the year regular season and playoffs included.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

I didn’t notice the pad changes (White pads are white pads to me!) but I just get the feeling he’ll be good in that mask. His masks that have really gone more with his past/personality like the country music mask are where he seemed to be the most comfortable, he switched to that one in the NSH game last season and had one of his best games ever and that month pretty much accounted for every point the team had.

18. Storm Man says:

Adam I had no clue you had a 5-13 record what sport do you play again?

19. LA Loyalist says:

Um, we lost to the Leafs.

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game” – Carey Price

20. SLONCOLD says:

well 5 mil seems like alot but then again they r paying ryder 4. lots of people in teh league think 5m for pleks is alot of money.

21. krob1000 says:

What is all this about MAB coming back to save our PP? Are you people serious…MArkov is the PP….not MAB….anyone who can shoot a puck from the right point and is a left shot Markov can turn into a pp genius.  He has done it with Souray, Streit, and MAB.  Markov’s ability to make cors ice passes if the forward takes away the point man, his ability to jump down low and his unreal passing ability (always in the shooting pocket) make anyone better.  IF  and this is a gigantic IF……MAB is still without contract….AND…our PP sucks with Markov and Subban because Subban is a righty and they may move Markov to the other point?  I would expect though that with Markov around…then maybe?? .Alex Picard could turn into a legit pp threat though from that side…..unless MAB is Markov’s new nickname there is some weird crap being spewed about on here today. Mike Green mans the right point on the PP as a righty…but they have Oveckins right hand cannon from the other side as the one timer option…be interesting to see how things paly out on the pp….with the whole righty/lefty thing with Markov and Subban….only given that markov usually plays the left side point on the pp like Subban.  The cross ice to Pleks or Cammi or Kovy or whoever has always been key to our success and creates space so I am not sure what they will do…..does PK just amn the 2nd unit? move Picard in there? do tehy switch them? does Pk play the right side leaving our best pp guy in Markov most comfortable but then we lose the one timer from the right side??? some rather serious questions given the importance of the pp to this team…..

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Briere’s the only player to publically turn down a Habs offer, you think the Habs haven’t offered other French Canadians the money so they could bring in more hometown heroes in the last 10 years that could score more than a handful of goals each year?

I’m tired of players saying “Oh I’d love to be here” than they manage to spend their entire career everywhere but Montreal. If they really cared, if the Canadiens were the team they felt his deep overriding passion to play there than hey maybe they would take a little less than the biggest offer because it meant that much to them. So far, no takers.

23. SLONCOLD says:

totally slick mask…. on another note did anyone notice price changed his pads again lol. he went from epics to v4 velocities….

24. LA Loyalist says:

It Depends ™

25. PrimeTime says:

You make it sound like the games will all be won or lost on Price’s performance. Well excuse, but sure a game can be stolen or lost by the goalie, but the mass majority of games are deciced by the team’s performance. We were missing 3 top players last night and still close to getting a point. I subscribe to the theory if 2 or 3 of your top 11 players (goalie, top 4 D, top 6 F’s) do not play well or are injured you will not win. The games are decided solely on the goalies performance so lay off your inaccurate post game analysis!…………………………………………

People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans

26. adam76 says:

The “Thoroughbreds” win loss record in 2010:
    5 – 13 Why worry?

27. SLONCOLD says:

uhm why would a player ever take a pay cut? and why would he want to play in montreal when boston is looking like they could be considered an elite team; also the dude above shuld realise that in recent memory the only player to really turn down a habs offer was briere i believe.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, I’m agreeing with Shiloh mostly.

Oh damn, here come the Horsemen.

29. jimmy shaker says:

While we for the most part disagree on most topics, as I posted something similar below….I agree that MAB has to be on this team.  For a team that doesn’t produce 5 v 5, the PP has to be the difference on this team.  I’d take MAB over picard anyday!  He’s still rehabing his knee, but should be ready to go by then end of October.  Bring him back Gauthier!  This is what the D would look like….

Spacek/Hammer/MAB  (rotating these 3 guys amongst eachother)

7D with 11 forwards Cammy, gio, AK46, eller, poully all taking a 2nd shift on the fourth line on a rotating system.

30. Mr. Biter says:

Did not know about MAB’s surgery. Thanks for the info.

31. Mattyleg says:

Hey everyone, remember the Latvian slugger that was supposed to beat everyone up for us a few years back until Chara smashed his orbital bone and ended his Montreal career?

Here he is again to similar result!

Sorry there’s no sound.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. SLONCOLD says:

from a goalies perspective my view on the goals. The first one was stopable but price was down way to early and a little deep. The second goal was a nifty move by kessel. Price did over play kessel to cut across the crease but that’s because kessel came in with a ton of speed. 3rd goal is almost impossible to stop; the defense has to take away that shot. by letting the player cut to the inside, it forces goalies to slide across.

price made 3 huge stops in the game which is very good to see. i think the 3rd line was great yesterday with a shout out to laps. eller showed some flashes which was awesome as well….. gomez? didn’t know he was in the lineup until i checked the box scores…

33. Mr. Biter says:

Agree totally with your post. Posted almosted the same before i read your post.

34. Harani says:

The problem is that MAB also had surgery is only expected to be ready in November. Which is after Markov will be back. So, after Markov returns, if our problem are still significant, we can consider MAB.

“It must be love!”

35. SeriousFan09 says:

New pictures of Price’s mask courtesy of Stubb’s Twitter.

36. Mattyleg says:

Good post!

Although I don’t agree with you about AK. He seemed drifty again.

I give all Habs the benefit of the doubt always, but I started getting a bit irritated with Drifty Driftoffski.

Show some heart!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. Corio says:

That goal by Eberle was EPIC!  Wow this guy is awesome, I am so jealous of Edmonton..

38. SeriousFan09 says:

His chances at a bigger contract going up in smoke.

39. Mattyleg says:

Of course he wasn’t.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Because Bergeron and most of the French Canadians give the party line to the media that they’d ‘love to play in Montreal’ than go after the money elsewhere. He just passed over his UFA period and took the cash in Boston, I’m sure he’ll give a lovely quote to the media the next time he’s here about wanting to play in Montreal one day but actions speak for something.

The day a Francophone takes a pay cut over the UFA market to come play in Montreal I’ll believe it’s not bunk that they have this real passion to play here right now, I’ll take guys who Plekanec who actually come through on their word.

41. Bryan says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I agree with everything you just said.

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

42. habs001 says:

overall the leafs forwards are not in the top 25 in the nhl but they scored 3 goals and had several really good chances…just good solid goaltending by the habs will not be enough based on our d play…our goalies will have to stop shots regularly that if they go in cannot be blamed for….ak46 just does not generate enough scoring chances in a game to score 25-30 goals….if he does not improve this he would have to have one of the best goal scoring chances and goals scored ratio in the nhl to get 25-30 goals….till markov and hammer get back and gill ,spacek,obyrne play better we are looking at giving up 3-5 goals a game unless we have spectacular goaltending

43. 123456 says:

nice post – whether we are in love with price or dislike him, a thoughtful post is always appreciated.

44. Mr. Biter says:

I posted earlier this summer (a few times) that until AM comes back we needed MAB. PK is a superior player but AM & MAB were the only Hab d-men who could one time a pass for a shot (hard shot) on net. Our PP sucked till MAB came aboard last year and seems to be in the same boat again (if you include exhibition games). I realize he is error prone playing defense but without him playing on the PP we would not have made the playoffs last year. He even played half decent in the playoffs untill the Flyers series where they showed his defensive (and size) liability side. But if the PP woes continue we are in deeeeeeeeppppp trouble.

BTW was MAB signed by anyone.

45. Harani says:

Ian White calls the Eberle goal “flukey”. WTH was he watching?

“It must be love!”

46. Shiloh says:

Pleks in an instant. One more serious hit on Bergeron and his career could be over. And – Tomas Jagr plays hard every shift.

47. mchab33 says:

Why aren’t you playing goal for an NHL team?  Your ability to break a play down from you couch is amazing.  My bet, Phil Kessel on a breakaway against you, you poo your pants.

48. smiler2729 says:

This loss wasn’t on the Habs’ goaltending so put away your microscope. Awful power play and losing too many faceoffs – and NO URGENCY.

As for Price, first one, a deflection – no chance. Second one, breakaway by Kessel, made the save but bad bounce and bad luck – it still barely trickles in. Third one, surprize backhand from the slot, tough save but it had to be made. You might see it differently wearing Halak glasses, it’s all relative.

Habs take on a mean, pissed off Penguin team in Pittsburgh Saturday, I say they BEAT ‘EM.

49. Shiloh says:

I think with Cammy back in Pouliot drops to the 3rd line and our top six become very dangerous. Eller was great – if he puts on a few pounds he might become a top tier player. AK46 had some jump and Tomas Jagr was a presence. Gionta almost scored to tie the game with a few seconds left. PK played well. Halpern and Boyd are soldiers – they accept their assignments and engage the enemy.

I have been one of the biggest knockers of Price, but in this game he gave the team a chance to win. He made some good saves. Unlucky on the 2nd goal – he actually made a terrific save and then his momentum dragged it in.

Hamrlik will help, and Markov will elevate the team when he returns. Pittsburgh will be a tough game, and we may need Price to stand on his head.

50. Harani says:

Also, something I don’t know how much it was mentioned, but so far,

“It must be love!”

51. Laramy87 says:

It is a brutal atmosphere. I hate the leafs with every ounce of my body, but i sucked up my pride and took my gf last year to watch TB vs Leafs for her bday. It was dull and boring and quiet. I figured lasts nite game was going to be better being home opener and with the habs, it was not. I could almost hear a pin drop at times. No passion no fun. PPl in front of me didn’t get back to thier seats until 6:50 left inthe second period??? REALLY?

52. matraque says:

Who told you Bergeron don’t want to be here?  Source please.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

53. matraque says:

Bergeron all the way.  I really like Plek, but if i could take a french canadian of equal talent, i always take the french canadian.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Difference is Plekanec wants to be here.

55. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. I watched the “highlights” 3 more times this morning to be sure.

First goal Price had no chance.

Kessel breakaway goal I thought was horrible by Price (aside from being horrible defensively), Kessel had nowhere to go as a Hab defender got back to take away the move across the net. Watch it again – Kessel could not move towards the center of the net. All Price had to do was track Kessel and cover his post. The pressure is all on Kessel as he is moving fast with limited real estate. Bad, bad goal at a bad time. It’s not like Kessel made a great shot.

Third goal. Price was out far enough – the back hand was clever, but that’s a relatively easy blocker or pad save if Price was paying attention. I was trying to figure out what he was looking at, but I couldn’t.

Third period – yes he made some good stops. But we need a goalie for 60 minutes, not when he feels like it.

Summary: Technically, aside from the breakaway which was bad judgement on his part, he looked sound.

I think it’s a focus or concentration issue, maybe just rust/rhythm issue (we hope) he hasn’t played a lot against NHL regulars lately.

I’m actually glad we have a couple of tough games on top of each other now as it will give Price enough challenging work that he can get it going.

Or not.

There was a fine goaltending performance last night. Some guy that no one here had any interest in. A guy who lost his job but came back from the summer ready to play. Does that sound familiar? Didn’t think so.

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game” – Carey Price

56. Mattyleg says:

Was “wear a metal helmet” part of Bergeron’s contract, do you know?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. riazp says:

MAB would probably play for 500k…if thats the case…sign him and have him on as a pp specialist and on the 4th line…plus it will make pauline marois happy

58. Mattyleg says:

I love the first week or so of the season.

There are all kinds of goals and plays that you’ll never see for the rest of the year, based on shaky communication between defensemen and quick forwards who aren’t scared to take risks because they haven’t been pummeled into unconsciousness while they were doing toe-drags and dangles.

That all includes us.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Some people have senior moments, Peter Chiarelli has Sather moments.

60. riazp says:

Agreed, JSG made some really key save…against eller on his knees and in the dying seconds…the leafs need JSG to find his old form if they want to have a chance of making the playoff

61. SmartDog says:

Pleks anyday.  Same kind of offensive upside in an excellent two-way player who provides leadersihp and somehow still flies under the radar (isn’t over-rated).

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

62. joshua94k says:

Joke of the night:

I believe it was CBC’s Eliotte Friedeman who attributed the Leafs dismal season last year to bad practices and poor game preparation. He even sounded serious when he said that. Is that a knock on the coaching calibre of Ron Wilson. He did try different things like throwing tennis ballls and getting his players to catch them in practice.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

63. SeriousFan09 says:

I wouldn’t take him, others would but so far Pleks is proven for MTL and Bergeron… I just don’t get a good vibe from him honestly, something about his game just doesn’t feel like it’s built for when you really need him.

64. riazp says:

I dont understand how boston can give him that much money with their futre cap problems….

65. SmartDog says:

I agree that defensive break-downs was our #1 weakness.  And either the PP or a couple of forwards who need to step it up were second.  So Price did do pretty well, he played up to the average of the team at least I would say.

All I’m saying is he was out-dueled by JSG. We need to be able to say this kind of stuff about him some games:

“on the other end JSG played very well – the save on eller from his knees
    and gionta at the end were huge….he took enough net away from pleks
    to make him hit the post.”

And yeah, last night would’ve been a good start.  All I’m sayin’.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

66. SmartDog says:

Torona fans are just so excited to have won something, they’re like high school kids cheering on their team.  It’s sad. Let them have their fun.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

67. mchab33 says:

Did you enjoy the emotion of the pre-game?  Me and my buddies were laughing so hard…..the Leafs have no idea how to pull these things off.

How about how empty the stands were after the second period?

Worst venue to watch a game.

68. Harani says:

Patrice Bergeron gets 3 years/15 million. I think that’s way too much to give him Pleks money. Who would you have at 5 million, Pleks or Bergeron?

“It must be love!”

69. 123456 says:

agreed dog, i am a price supporter as i have seen the upside he has. the 3 goals were all nice plays by TO – but yes if he had stopped one then the game goes to OT. while saying that – he was left out on his own at leat a half dozen tiems and he did make a few great saves… so it’s hard to really say if only he had 1 of hte 3 goeals because really he stopped what could have been a couple more goals. on the other end JSG played very well – the save on eller from his knees and gionta at the end were huge….he took enough net away from pleks to make him hit the post.

so the positives – i though the habs carried a lot of the play. price looked great at times. habs have solid 3rd and 4th line. maybe eller sticks at top 6 guy.

i hate to say it but the biggest negative is HUGE defensive breakdowns. first goal we can chaulk up to pleks not string on the puck (which is unusual), second goal…. calling hal gill – hello.. terrbile play. third… well we all saw it right. (also need better PP)

so the take away – i’m happy hockey is back, habs looked good. get hte PP working and the habs will be even better to watch

70. Habsrule1 says:

Wow…talk about having it in for Price. There were actually more than just those 3 defensive errors, but those were the 3 that led to goals. Price bailed out the team plenty. They just decided to do the opposite for him.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

71. matraque says:

So…. Markov intervention was real…  Interesting.

Good interview with Carey.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

72. Malreg says:

When your team hasn’t been to the playoffs in 6 years, beating the Canadiens is like winning the Stanley Cup.

73. SmartDog says:

I agree with most that there was nothing terrible about the game. It was about as a reasonable guess would expect.

But there wasn’t much great about it either.   And though I think Price played well most of the game, this does bother me:

Three defensive errors, three GA.

EVERY TIME Price loses people say “he didn’t get any support”.  A goalie needs to bail out his team.  If he can’t do that now and then – or even on a regular basis – he’s not a #1 goalie in the NHL.  I’m not slagging Price. It’s early in the year and he’ll have better games.  But I am tired of this “not his fault” stuff.  We outshot the other guys.  And still lost.  And that sucks.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

74. jimmy shaker says:

Can’t wait for MAB to get back and then he and Marky can get the PP going.  If we don’t have the PP this year, then I believe the playoffs will not be in our forecast.  Our 5 v 5 play which sucked last year and seems to be no quite similar again so far will be our major challenge.  So the one area we can exploit, is the PP… get MAB back for 750000 thou, get  picard out of there and at least the PP will keep us in contention.  0 for 3 or 0 for 4 last night.  Marky and MAB = instant offense, stamp it!  Price did the job last night, although I would like to see him wait out shooters more on breakaways, seems like he and Jaro (last year) routinely were/are beaten on breakaways.

75. Laramy87 says:

Was at the game last nite in Toronto, i have to say the atmosphere sucked. Leaf fans are so quiet. The loudest cheer came for Johnny Bower before the game.

I have to say as well, my friends (all leaf fans) dont knwo squat about hockey. Im talking about how habs outplayed them, i get responses like how to you figure, blah blah blah. Oh man did yuo watch the game? This morning ona radio show the host said, The leafs just beat a far inferior team!… Are you kidding me, what makes leafs this delusional? They are 1-0 on an 82 game schedule, they beat tha habs the didnt win the cup….

Just terrible ppl lol

76. says:

Eberle’s goal will be the nicest goal of the year.  That’s talent baby!

That’s a harsh league.  Let in a stinker and get pulled.  That’s what happens when your team is funded by the Russian Mob.  Let in a stinker and watch your back the entire way home. (I kid I kid, I have no idea about the KHL, other than that’s the league where players go to die).

They Call Me Shane

77. HabFanSince72 says:

Better than being funded by the Columbian mob. Remember that football player who was gunned down for scoring an own goal at the 1994 world cup?

78. HabFanSince72 says:

While I normally hate teams that get better through tanking, I’m happy to see the Oilers getting back on track.

79. ed lopaz says:

next time someone posts that goaltending is “overrated” in the NHL, and that all you need is a “mobile” defence like chicago,

please check out the headlines concerning last night’s leaf’s victory.

with perhaps one of the LEAST mobile defence in front of him, and his team playing like total crap most of the night,

giguere finds a way to win the game for his team.

and last night’s loss is NOT on Price, not at all, never!

BUT, last night’s win should be credited to Giguere, absolutely, he made the KEY SAVES that were the difference.

Now IF a good goalie will do that about 5 times per season…..

That’s the 10 points in the final standings that make a huge difference.

Maybe that’s why Bob Mckenzie has said the name of this great game can e changed from “HOCKEY”

to “GOALIE”.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

80. mchab33 says:

Watched the game last night with a bunch of Leaf fans.  All agreed that Carey played well and that JS stole the game.  Come into work and talk to some Habs fans and read posts here and you’d think that Price is worthless.  First game of the year, missing some key components and they lose by one.  Take the positives and build on it for Pittsburg.

Anybody who blames the loss on Carey doesn’t understand the game and more specifically doesn’t have a clue about the goaltending position.

81. pic1983 says:

Its absolutely crazy.  No one blames the offense for not scoring goals, and for not capitalizing on our power play chances.  They just go right to blaming the goalie because he didnt get a shutout.

82. smiler2729 says:

Some people think the goalie is the whole hockey team. I’ve never seen a goalie score a goal on anything other than an open net.

83. idle says:

You don’t pull your goalie after that.  The score was 2-1 (not sure for which team) so it’s not like he was already getting shelled.  It happened and you move on.

84. says:

For sure.

They Call Me Shane

85. Bogie Man says:

It was not good hockey to watch really, other than the 2-3 players that showed some urgency the rest seemed to be a little less concerned. But hey it is the first game, I suppose we should give them some latitude however a month in and they are still playing this way alarm bells should be going off in JM and PG’s head. Eller should not be on the first line, this should be saved for a top 6 forward which we do not have at the moment.

86. smiler2729 says:

Ugh, again the Habs played down to the Laffs’ level… To me, the most glaring problem, apart from the defensive breakdowns on the the three T.O. goals (I swear I saw AK46 on the ice for ’em all), in Montreal’s game was a lack of winning key faceoffs.

87. pic1983 says:

The Pleks, AK and Eller line were all -2 on the evening.

88. pic1983 says:

We outplayed the leafs, we couldnt capitalize on our scoring chances, and giguere played like the stanley cup winning goaltender that he is.  Point finale.  No time to dwell on it for les boys though, as saturday theyll be in tough against the penguins.  Hopefully we can limit the defensive mistakes, and generate some more offense with the return of cammalleri.

Our powerplay needs some serious work.  0 for 3 on three straight powerplays just wont cut it.  Had we scored on one of them, it would have been a brand new game.  At least the PK was solid.

89. JF says:

I’m glad to see that in general, people are not ripping the team for last night’s loss.  Overall we played a solid game with some key defensive breakdowns.  Had it not been for Giguère, we would have at least gotten a tie, which, considering that our defence is at best suspect and our powerplay weak without Markov, is not too bad.

Our bottom two lines looked great, Eller was very good, and P.K. was OK once he settled down.  Hopefully Spacek will get his game together soon; as for Pouliot, I’m willing to give him ten games before I say Eller should have his spot.

The positive: last season we won the opener against Toronto but lost Markov for three months; this year we lost the game, but emerged with all our players intact.  Last year I was about ready to write off the season after game 1; I’m not in such a hurry to do that this year.

90. fuhgawz says:

Game one grades scale

Coaching B

Defense C

Line 1 B-

Line 2 B-

Line 3 B+

Line 4 B

Goalie B

Overall ranking B- or 72% not bad not great Cammy, Markov, and Hammer will be what makes this team a contender.

91. SLONCOLD says:

PP D-

don’t know how lines 1and 2 and goalie all get B’s . but okay

92. Fire_Laraque says:

Coaching B????????  Darche with one minute left gives Martin a B?

93. 21BIGGionta says:

Didn’t Watch the game had to work.
    Can someone answer me this quick questions:

Did Kostitsyn and Pouliot really play bad?

If so how?

People what Gui! back… that should answer your question.

95. HabFanSince72 says:

They were their usual selves. Kinda clueless.

In fairness to Pouliot  his hard work created the Halpern goal.

96. LA Loyalist says:

Soft, tentative, scared to make a mistake, gripping their sticks too tight, feeling like the coach was staring at them.

97. jaymster790 says:

I can’t say I’m upset with the aggressive approach I saw, we were just a couple of good players away from making it work. When Markov, Hamrlik and Cammallleri return, I look forward to seeing what this team can do.

98. gK_HabsFan says:

I just don’t understand the laffs!

First they strip Kaberle of the A, and then he ends up playing the most minutes on their team.

They give the A to Komo, who ends up playing the least minutes among their defense (12:00)

It is brutal how they treat Kaberle over there!  I hope when it comes to free agency, he signs with us just to get back at the leafs.  He’s the only player on their D i would Love to have!

I can see him do better than some of our dmen, who shall rename nameless. Kaberle’s problem is his pricetag… ALthough if Hammer and Spacek come off the books after this season then I am all for getting Kaberle in the Habs uniform.

100. LA Loyalist says:

Do you think we could/should keep Hammer (at less money), lose Space Check and get Kaberle (depending on the market $ of course)?

Then we’d have some freaking depth on the back end and buy time for the kids. Or are we too tight up against next year?

I have not done the capology on all of the above, but I would try and build a strong D first in this the 7th year of our 5 year plan.

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game.” – Carey Price

101. lefreak says:

I’m taking the positives on this one.

-Forecheck looked good after a shaky start. This is going to be a huge asset if they can get the transition game down, which was clearly lacking.

-PK made mistakes, but handled himself about as well as you can expect a rookie to do when eating up that much ice time. When those nerves settle and he starts making decisions quicker he will be good on the pp as long as he plays on the proper side of the point.

-Price made some good saves and kept the Habs in it. Sure he let in a weak goal, but if he can consistently play like last night the habs will be ok. The d needs to play better positionally to prevent the second shot…but this will get better as we get healthy as well as get rid of some of the butterflies.

-Pouilot was soft, and Andrei was as well. They both look a bit lost on the ice to me. Once they break the ice and get that first one, we will hopefully see a little more jump in their step.

-Bottom 6 is looking better than last year so far. Lapierre is going to score 15+ this year.

-Leaf or not, it was nice to see Giguere play well last night. Frustrating for us for sure, but i always liked Giggy and felt bad for him after he lost his job to Hiller. Make no mistakes, it was his fault, but no one likes to see a player that was a major reason in a stanley cup victory fall off of the map.

Pens looked ordinary last night. Let’s hope that continues at least past saturday.

102. Chuck says:

According to you, which was the weak goal?

103. pic1983 says:

Kaberle is probably one of the best value, as far as defensemen go, in the NHL at only $4.5 million.  Obviously, it depends on how much he is looking for as a free agent.  If the price is right, I totally agree, that i would love to see Kaberle replacing Hamrlik next season.

104. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I like Kaberle too, but I just wish that someone would give him a bowl of Campbell soup so he can get rid of those red cheeks.

105. habfan53 says:

They have to STOP giving him the bowls of Campbells

106. mrhabby says:

not a game to get all bent up about. Missing Markov/Hammer/Cammy made some difference but team played well and most of all i think price played good. Team is a work in progress we will play better once team has all its horses back.

and does KOMO suck it big at 4.5m unreal.

107. pic1983 says:

I agree, at a combined minus-6 last night, Line 1 was definitely a D.  Goaltending was fine, I think B is a fair grade.

But forgoet D for the PP, that was a glaring F to me.  3 Powerplay chances isnt a lot of chances, but they were 3 straight powerplays in the middle of the second.  With that much PP time in such a short span, you have to score.  Had we scored there, it would have been a totally different game.

108. HabFanSince72 says:

O’Byrne seemed to improve as the night wore on.

The problem is he and Picard are both a bit nervous, so putting them together isn’t helping either player.

109. lefreak says:

picard was giving me fits.

110. Laramy87 says:

Kristen Dolan of TSN reports,

“Price could not espace the scrutiny of home with chants starting with 2 minutes into the game and raining down for the course of the game”

What game was TSN watching, i did not hear any Car-ey chants at all and i counted a whole 3 times when Leaf fans gave carey the sarcastic cheer one was a dump by the leafs that ended up on net and i was at the game.

TSN is such a juvenille sports broadcasting network, and thier hatred for the Habs is so evident with every report they do.

111. Chuck says:

I was there last night. There were a few chant and sarcastic cheers (not from me) though it wasn’t nearly as bad as TSN would have you think.

112. SeriousFan09 says:

On a more postiive note, lots of Habs prospects will be playing tonight and get chances to build on their seasons, notable players in action tonight:

C Louis Leblanc for MTL Juniors (QMJHL) D Jarred Tinordi for London Knights (OHL), RW Brendan Gallagher VAN Giants (WHL), RW Danny Kristo U North Dakota (NCAA), D Mac Bennett U of Micigan (NCAA) and hopefully going for a bounce-back season after an ACL injury killed his sophomore year, RW Steve Quailer at Northeastern University (NCAA).

113. C-Dawg says:

I’ve come to the conclusion that while most teams have fans that are like dogs, faithful and dependable, a lot of Habs fans are like cats; they’ll purr and pretend to like you, but if a player screws up once, the claws come out and they’re out for blood.

114. HabFanSince72 says:

Wild unhappy about Guillaume’s physical condition:

115. habsfan_61 says:

its only one game but eller impressed me. hopefully he continues on and puts many crooked numbers up on his score sheet. looks like a real keeper. pp was meh but thats understandable when 2 of your big guns are missing. pk  did a good job. on to pittsburgh. go habs go

116. Mikey_39 says:

You have to admit it was a pretty fun game to watch yesterday, especially considering it was a first game of the season.  Gomez didn’t have a great game, nor did pouliot, spacek, and I would even say PK who looked a little nervous.  But the rest of the guys looked great, especially Eller.  He made a few mistakes, but I hope JM lets him make mistakes because he looks like he can be an awesome player.  I think we should have won last night, but goaltending was the difference.  Giguere was amazing, he robbed us at the end!  Price played a good game, made some pretty nice saves, but the reality is he has to be better.  You can say the goals aren’t his fault all you want, but he has to make those saves.

117. JD_ says:

Satisfied that the Habs both outshot and outhit the Loafs. There were big saves at both ends, but Giggity was better than Price on the night. The latter played with poise and demonstrated increasingly restored confidence.

Eller continues to prove he’s a keeper. Talented, young, cheap, and willin’ to mix it up. Maybe the Habs’ org isn’t really that stoopid.

Didn’t think either Benny nor Andy was lousy, they just weren’t great. Benny is showin’ flashes of what he brought when he first came to Montreal. Like his predecessor, however, he isn’t drivin’ the net, which is the only way he’s goin’ to remain top 6. Andy was usin’ his size a little more, but the skillset is still bein’ suboptimized. I’d argue that, virtually regardless of how the season plays out, at least one of them will not be in a Habs uni next season. Hopefully, there’ll be some numbers to backstop a decent trade, cause ya can’t just dump yer garbage in this league.

Put a full season on PK’s resume, you know, to fully round out his defensive play at the NHL level, and this kid will eventually be sniffin’ the Norris. He’s a beast. Lookin’ forward to his first dust-up, cause you know it’s just a matter of time. On a negative note, the team has Spacecake under contract for another two years. Jeebus. The guy’s rustier than a sea merchant’s late-model Plymouth Satellite. Please tell me he’s just gettin’ his legs back. The Habs are not particularly depthy on D and the boy needs to pick it up.

I’ll reserve judgment on the PP. It’s been a league-buster for some time now, so I can’t just assume it’s vapourized without the benefit of a close-to-full squad.

And Komi was, well, Komi. You can almost see a “WTF is wrong with me?” look on his face. It’s very similar to the “WTF is wrong with him?” look on Burkie’s face. I have to admit, though, I was impressed when the CBC indicated that Komispacek had both scored and assisted on the same goal. I believe they call it Schrodinger’s Stat.

On to Pittsburgh. Ruin the housewarmin’, will ya?

118. TomNickle says:

Haha, he has to stop that deflection and breakaway?

How many games do you expect to win where we only score two goals?

119. sidhu says:

Subban and Eller the only Habs on Hockey’s Future’s new top 50 prospects list:

120. HabFanSince72 says:

No Marky = no PP.

121. HabFanSince72 says:

He could have stopped the breakaway. Kessel’s move was weak.

122. TomNickle says:

I believe he stopped the breakaway.  It looked like Kessel’s second stab at the puck got it in.

Either way, 2 GF per game is going to equate to a lot of losses.

Players walking into our slot and left alone in our slot are going to result in a lot of losses too.

And that has almost nothing to do with the goaltending.

123. Mike T says:

I’d love to know how Carlsson is higher than PK

124. Chuck says:

You’re aware that no goalie in the history of hockey has ever posted a .000 save%, correct? Goalies get scored on. It’s a fact of life. And newsflash: sometimes they get scored on because at that moment, the shooter was better. Happens to the best of them. Blanket statements like”he has to make those saves” are ridiculous and unrealistic.

125. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m still waiting to see this magic potential that Pietreangelo apparently has, never been sold on this guy’s apparent promise.

126. topher5468 says:

I’m sick of Pouliot, He gave us absolutely nothing last year, especially in the post season, was hardly noticeable during camp and gets a 2nd line reward. He needs to show something and earn his spot. I dont recall if he has a 2 way contract but id rather White the Pouliot, at least White has some heart

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

127. cautiousoptimist says:

That’s not actually too bad — two out of 50 in a 30-team league means that teams on average had 1.67 players on the list, so we’re doing better than most.  And it’s hardly fair to compare our farm with those of teams like Edmonton and Florida, who stocked their larders with high 1st-round picks due to brutal suckage.

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  128. SeriousFan09 says:

Markstrom is ranked pretty high for a guy who was weak in the medal games for his two WJC appearances, seems to open right up when it’s on the line.

129. JD_ says:

Oh, and if I’m not around tomorrow, just wanted to wish a happy 70th to the man, John Lennon.

The two Johns: Lennon and Candy.

Still really kicks the crap out of me.

130. lefreak says:

81 games left.

fearless prediction: he will score some goals.

he has been a streaky player his whole career.

131. RGM says:

Yeah, but what prospects they are! When you consider it’s a 30-team League, to have 2 guys on the list is above average, particularly when we really have 2 in the Top 40. A lot of the guys on that list are also prospects in the purest sense of the term, whereas Subban and Eller both appear to be legitimately NHL-ready players. It’s nice to have guys in the pipeline, but it’s even better when the guys that were formerly in the pipeline are graduating beyond the point of “prospect” into “NHL Player.”

132. Mike T says:

yeah, he hasn’t stuck at any professional level yet…

I also would like to know how zach boychuk is above eller…he hasn’t done a damn thing and he’s 21 haha..this list is a bit of a joke

133. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m liking Lars Eller. Now this is interesting, however. With 81 games remaining. Two Number 81s.

134. RGM says:

He hasn’t done himself any favours, this much is true. However, as much heart as White has he doesn’t have the untapped talent that Pouliot does. If Pouliot can ever work out the kinks between the ears and genuinely understand what he has to do to become a legitimate top 6 NHL player, that will more than trump White’s heart and determination as far as what it can bring to a winning formula.

135. topher5468 says:

True, I would have liked to have seen something to substantiate that this year will be different. It appears to me like he plays with something missing and it’s not his skill level. I want him to succeed but with our lack of size and toughness, if he’s not the guy, it is what it is.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

136. SeriousFan09 says:

HF is big on rating potential and ceiling rather than a ‘how are they doing now’, scouting reports tend to dictate a lot of ratings and it takes a while to get knocked down the prospect rankings.

137. Mikey_39 says:

I’m the one that needs to be realistic? In Price’s last, let’s say 20 starts, the after-game comments have always been, ”well the goals were not his fault”.  And that’s completely true. But if you want to win, Price is going to have to save more than what he’s just supposed to be able to make.  The defense is not always going to be perfect, price has to bail them out because that’s what good goalies do.  Blaming goals on defensive errors is a poor excuse.

138. topher5468 says:

Your absolutely right about his talent compared to White, no question,  How long do we give him to work out the Kinks. Considering the egg he laid last post season

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

139. Mikey_39 says:

I’m not saying we lost because of him, we lost because of Giguere.  The question is could we have won because of Price?

140. Harani says:

Tendre Guidounde may be losing his spot on the second line to Cal Clutterbuck!

“You can see his conditioning is not where he needs it to be or we want it to be,” Richards said. “He has missed some time. But toward the end when you need that push, he just didn’t have it.”

Here’s the complete article in the Minnesota Tribune.

“It must be love!”

141. HabFanSince72 says:

<HIO Mode>

Or Halak?

</HIO mode>

142. SeriousFan09 says:

Guess it’s the coach’s fault for not suggesting he try hitting the gym in the summer. Soft attitudes don’t prevail in the NHL.

143. andrewberkshire says:

Lots of ripping on Pouliot, but he gave the puck to Halpern on the goal that kept the game close. He didn’t play great but the fact that Darche got moved into his spot after Darche himself had taken 2 really stupid penalties and made several dumb mistakes doesn’t encourage me very much about JM. Can’t wait until Cammalleri is back and Darche is in the pressbox.

144. LA Loyalist says:

We really need Pouliot to get it together – if he doesn’t we’ve wasted the investment in him on top of the investment in Latendresse.

That’s a black hole I don’t want to contemplate, like one of those rest stops near Kingston. The purgatory between Toronto and Montreal (not Kingston itself, the rest stops).

145. lefreak says:

a lot of hockey to go.

pouliot is consistently the guy who is willing to stand in front of the goalie the most in our top 6. The rest are mostly perimeter players (gionta drives to the net for sure, but his stature does not lend to the screen like benoit’s). This will come in handy when Marky comes back. Marky is the king of those little floaters that the goalie can’t see.

I just love the name – Clutterbuck!

147. mbplekfan says:

Some players dont get going for a month or more. One game and the preseason isnt enough to consign a player to the pressbox pending a trade.

Pouliot will get it going one way or another. Gomez wasnt much better and that whole line did nothing until Gionta almost scored to tie the game.

148. topher5468 says:

Hey Andrew, guilty as charged regarding Pouliot. To be honest, I’m still bitter about last post season. If he doesn’t shine brightly then I want his head on a platter. I’ll get over it eventually. Hopefully when he gets his head to match his skill.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

T, I hope not too long. The thing is, it was clear from his playing days in Minni what kind of player he was. Why Habs management made an assumption that he all of a sudden would flourish in Mtl is beyond me. Bringing a struggling player to Mtl to reverse his fortunes – that’s rich. White is not an answer to Pouliot in a long run, he is not a top 6. I guess is that if Benny doesn’t manage to pick it up Habs will be looking for another pricy free agent rental at the deadline to fill a top 6 spot. Will be hard though unless PG manages to off load some salary along the way.

150. newbrunswick troy says:

My take on last night;   Price started a little nervice (as he should be ) but finnished strong,

everybody is pissing on Pouliot, but i thought he worked hard,

the whole team worked hard………..BUT in this new NHL and all its parity, it will truly be a game of lucky bounces that wins,loses many games

Suban looks like a true keeper,,Spacek …not so much

I was surprised our smurfs handled themselves so well

The Leafs weakest part of there game was there defence!!!

151. SeriousFan09 says:

Pouliot doesn’t get going, Eller takes his job, pretty basic math. No need to go hunting for another guy at the deadline to fill in a job since we have one.

152. pic1983 says:

You could have blamed the powerplay who couldnt cash on 3 straight opportunities in the second.  You could have blamed our top line who went a combined minus-6 on the night.  You could have blamed our offense in general for not mustering more than 2 goals total.

But of course, you would have none of that! Why highlight anything substantial when you can just blame the goalie! Its like “Lets forgive everyone else, but Carey needs to be better”.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but not very cool Mikey.

153. andrewberkshire says:

I’m definitely not fawning over him either, he annoyed my in preseason a lot. However I think last night he was ok, and it was a step forward. He was at least on his feet most of the game and looking to make plays, instead of trying to avoid hits and losing his balance constantly. I was more displeased with Gomez than Pouliot actually to be honest. Didn’t create enough for my liking, and did use his speed to take advantage of Toronto’s slow D.

154. TripleX says:

PG in his brilliance gave Pouliot not only a one way contract but an unfathomable 600,000 raise.  Thus making him impossible to move.  PG also gave everyone else on the current roster one way contracts.  Only way White gets a chance is if someone is injured.  But even with Cammy out and a perfect opponent for White, JM chooses Darche.  UGGGGGGG!

And people wonder why I despise this management.  Until Molson makes changes at the TOP, nothing changes.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

155. CanadienBoy says:

The talk in Minnesota is Tender show up well very tender and out of shape to many poutines , i guess ,when you look at Komi ,Huet ,and others gone by i am sure happy we did not keep them Souray anybody ?

156. topher5468 says:

Hey Timo, I was thinking with Cammy back and Eller going to the 2nd line (IMO), then Id rather have White than Pouliot. But White is no answer to any top 6 question, agreed

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

157. kirkiswork says:

I’m not worried……….yet.

158. Chuck says:

The defense should not be exonerated. Bad defensive plays put the other team’s shooters in place to take high-percentage shots, which then turn into goals because your goalie is then at a big disadvantage.

I’m afraid that with our expectations, you’re setting yourself up to be disappointed regardless of who your goalie is. Required viewing should be the Canadiens Great Games DVD set; check out the work of Dryden, etc., and tell me that they weren’t beaten by shots that you think that they “should” have stopped.

159. topher5468 says:

Agree regarding Gomez, and I respect your analyisis on Benny last night, they could be looked at as steps forward. I know I need to be a bit more positive but I just have a real sour taste when it comes to Benny, I’ll work on it. As i was made aware of 81 to go so, here’s to steps in the right direction

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

160. smiler2729 says:

They could drop the next 3 games and I’m still not worried cuz this team can roll off a 5 game win streak easily.

161. Harani says:

Anyone think we should convince Edmonton into putting Souray on re-entry waivers and we pick him up for half the money. It will be a 2.7 million cap hit. Get rid of Darche and Pouliot and you have the space. Like if you want to get him, you can somehow make space or also accidentally injure Spacek long-term. Clearing up his 3.833 cap hit.

“It must be love!”

162. smiler2729 says:

I’m hoping Eller can gel with Plekanec and stay on that line ahead of AK46.

163. pic1983 says:

Well thats the biggest knock on JM.  Theres no consistency in the way he disciplines players.  Personally, I see that as a huge problem because it makes your players question you, and not respect you as a coach.  I really dont get his love affair with Darche.  I dont think Darche should have even made the team, let alone be put into the top-6, and especially not be put on the ice for the last minute when we are trying to tie the game.

164. smiler2729 says:

I love Souray but it’s not going to happen especially because the Habs aren’t going to give up on Pouliot that easily.

165. Fire_Laraque says:

If you look at all the games in October, when do you think the Habs will win their first?

166. Mikey_39 says:

You’re taking my statements to literally.  I don’t mean he should stop everything.  But honestly, how many times have we heard that he played ok and that the goals weren’t his fault? I’m tired of hearing that and only blaming the defense for the goals.  I’m not saying Price is to blame for the loss at all, but he’s going to have to play better to win us some games, just like Giguere did yesterday.

167. G-Man says:

Souray 5 years ago….maybe. Right now, is value is a bucket of pucks. He is a pylon with wonky wrists and injury-prone.

168. Harani says:

But somebody would be willing to injure Spacek no? Like just tell AK46 to walk over him or something. I can’t take another 2 years of Spatch….I’m too young to have a heart attack.

“It must be love!”

169. RGM says:

12th straight day someone has suggested this horrible idea.

Instead, let’s bring back Pierre Dagenais.

170. pic1983 says:

Typical Gui! Kills it last season to prove the habs wrong, only to show up to camp out of shape, and show the wild exactly why we got rid of him.

I guess Im going to go slot Taylor HAll into Guidounes LW spot, and drop Guidoune to the bench (yes, My LW depth drops of significantly after Ovechkin).

171. RGM says:

I’m feeling benevolent today, so I give him 12 games. If still awful, replace.

172. sidhu says:

I would do it in a second.

The chances of it happening though are slim to none.

173. smiler2729 says:

If they don’t take the Penguins Saturday night, they take out the Bolts in the home opener.

174. andrewberkshire says:

I understand your opinion for sure, he doesn’t leave people with a great impression of him most games. Cheers to a better 81 games.

175. Malreg says:

How can you get rid of 2 forwards to add Souray? You’d need to replace the 2 forwards as well.

I’d take MAB back at 600k way before taking Souray at 2.7 for the next 2 years.

176. andrewberkshire says:

Darche in the last minute blew my mind. I couldn’t understand it at all. Kind of like when he put Gill on in the last minute against Edmonton last year at the beginning of the season. As for Darche, he made it as the 13th forward, basically to ride in the pressbox and be there for emergencies, something you don’t want a young kid to do. I understand that, but he should be on the 4th line. He shouldn’t play more than someone like Moen or Halpern.

177. Bugs says:

At this pace, Poolio’ll finish with 82 pts. So, we can’t knock’m yet.

That’s the rule.

We all know it; must abide by it.

Decadently yours, I recline as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central:

178. Fire_Laraque says:

A lot of people at work are saying the Bolts.  Someone said only against Ottawa.  A very positive person here said only against the Islanders.

179. CanadienBoy says:

When Souray left he was -28 no thank

180. sidhu says:

Souray (reentry) + White make less money than Spacek + Pouliot.  Keep Darche as the 13th forward.

Markov-Souray (reunited)
    Hammer-Subban (Hammer the mentor)
    (Picard first callup)

181. Bugs says:

A busted-up Souray over Spacek?

We didn’t re-sign him three years ago when we KNEW he was busted and you want him back NOW?

Over SPACEK? (Who, it should be noted, can be made the object of a wonderful drinking game that consiste of taking a gulp everytime you hear the commentator say “Spacek shoots…just wide!”) but…he was there when we needed’m.

Decadently yours, I recline as

182. Da Hema says:

Souray can make a pylon look swift. And that was 10 years ago, before his body broke down. Pass.

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

183. Laramy87 says:

There is a lot of hate for Pouliot and i dont understand why. Do you ppl expect him to get a hatrick every game. Not gonna happen. He had a good game, he used his body more last nite then all last year. Listen Pouliot didn’t score, nor did Gionta, Gomez or Plekance, give him a break it was one game.

184. Da Hema says:

Hmm. According to your logic, Bugzed, Plekanec will finish the season with 0 points and a plus-minus of -164.

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

185. redgorf says:

J.MARTIN does’nt coach he dictates one error and you get demoted to a lower line,I never seen him go to a player and talk to him and coach.Iwould change AK’s number to 47 and tell him too pull the triger more often.I did’nt know Gomez played! Mickey39 funny how its normal for the d to make mistakes but not CP. Your Price basher.

186. Bugs says:

Tendre Guidoune look good in da shape to me when scoring goal yesterday.

Souray wanting the money; cannot blame him for dis. Or else he stay. Good player when not broken.

Decadently yours, I recline as

187. Bugs says:

At this pace, yes.

Better get his act in gear next game, cuz apart his pk work last night which was excellent, he was sh*te.

He should take a page outta Poolio’s book and produce.

Decadently yours, I recline as

188. mrhabby says:

pass..way to brittle , banged up, broken up, bashed, bruised, busted , bitter.

189. Mattyleg says:

So nobody else got a kick out of Ivanans getting KO’ed last night?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

190. Thomas Le Fan says:

In a word? Non. No. Nien. Nyet. Jamais. Basta!

191. krob1000 says:

If we had both Gill and Souray plodding around back there handing out speeding tickets to the forwards on the other team it would suck all of the life out of the team…

192. LA Loyalist says:

I didn’t realize the topic was waitresses on Bishop street.

193. G-Man says:

Yeah, let’s give them all a break and watch the team win 10 games. These “pros” are supposed to better than that. That’s why they make the big bucks.

194. LA Loyalist says:

I would take a chance on Souray but just to run the PowerPlay. Craig Ludwig he ain’t. I’m sure his attitude would be good after the beating in Edmonton.

And I’m not prepared to give up on Pouliot yet – we’ll talk about him in April.

The reality is we need a quarterback on the PP. We’re not good enough 5 on 5 yet to have a mid-pack powerplay.

We’re open to suggestions.

“insert tagline here”

195. WarHero says:

I did, McIntyre pounded him!

Carolina just beat Minny 2-1 overseas, no goals for Gui!

196. mrhabby says:

197. PeterStone says:

Man, he got nailed.  I like fighting, but i hate to see a guy get pounded like he did, 2 straight shots to the noggin’. Of course I say that, but I dont think I would mind seeing it happen to a dude like Lucic , or Cooke or Kaleta …

Havin said, he was looking for a fight, and stuff happens, and that time, it happened to him .. kinda like it happened to Neiderreiter last week !

198. Mike T says:

Anyone else watch that Carolina game?

Koivu looks great, Ward looked awesome.

Extremely impressed with Jeff Skinner and Jamie McBain..The first of which is my new man crush i believe, he’s a weapon

199. WarHero says:

It reminded me of when Ivannans was with the Habs and Chara put a whooping on him, lol

200. WarHero says:

I caught the 3rd & OT/Shootout, was great from what I saw :) Ward was brilliant!

201. SeriousFan09 says:

Mikko Koivu is a bigger, more sturdy Saku, I’m ticked to this day Savard didn’t trade up in 2001 to get him.

Added Skinner to one of my pools the other day, glad I did.

202. TripleX says:

Oilers are paying him 25,000 a day to stay in the minors. It is more a question of when rather than if he will be brought back on re-entry waivers.  I would rather have Souray than Spacek OR MAB.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

203. TomNickle says:

or Boyd, or Lapierre, or Pouliot, or Eller, or, or, or, or

204. Hagar says:

If that’s the case then why do talented Russian players get ranked so low? I’m sure if Avtsin plays well after making the jump to NA he’ll jump up several spots in a damn hurry. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

205. solomio says:

Snap out it !

Snap out it !!! ???

EVERY game is important. The sooner we learn that the better. We lost our first game of the season to a division rival. A team we could have and should have beaten. There are no…we’ll get ’em next times…. only here and now and last nights loss is unexceptable. Nobody is off the hook and everybody is accountable.

We and the Habs should be totally po’d. If the Habs come home with their tail between their legs after getting beaten by Pitts the Lightning will rag doll them ( which, by the way, they will prolly do anyway )

Is it too early to be speaking of “must win ” games. Not on your life. EVERY game is a must win.

The Habs have 81 games left to play and we are 0 & 1.

The mentality must be….Win Every Game…..

The goal is to win every game yes but it’ll never happen. Only the Harlem Globetrotters are undefeated. The point is to see the positives and build on them. And to chill out. Don’t lose no sleep.

207. solomio says:

Yes you’re of course right HH however it would be great if the players would bring that mentality every game. They didn’t against Toronto and that’s upsetting.

They brought it. Giggy made some great saves especially at the end and they hit two posts. They were missing Markov and Cammy from the line-up and individually the team had winning records with either of them last season as opposed to with either of them out. Price played well. The loss is upsetting yes. The way they played wasn’t.

209. WarHero says:

My latest blog: Exciting times ahead! – Take a look :) Should have some very exciting hockey related news to report soon!

210. Chuck says:

Next question: Price has the shooter moving across the slot 1-on-1. What should he have done to guarantee a save?

211. lefreak says:

I’m not saying that it would be an easy save, but if the habs want to have a chance in hell of doing anything this year, that kind of shot is the one he needs to steal for his team. Deflections and breakaways happen to the best, but when you are down by a goal…big game goalies find a way to snag that last one. I’m not bashing price and not trying to get suckered into a pissing contest here, i believe my assessment of price in my original post was positive, no?

The defence needs to pick up the slack, and a goalie needs to steal a few to give the guys playing in front of him a bit more confidence. Price stole a few last night, I think he could have stole that one. He went down too quickly and was slow to react. It will improve.