The mourning after

Hey, snap out of it.

Lars Eller played great. So did Dustin Boyd.

Carey Price was not shelled.

Three defensive errors, three GA.

No one should feel bad this morning.

Well, maybe Benoit Pouliot …

Morning Tweets from Dave Stubbs: Cammalleri was a very unhappy press-box resident last night, which is a very good thing and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun: Lars Eller really impressed me in person last night. The kid can play. They got somebody for Halak, folks.

• Canadiens a work in progress

Quotes from the room

Stubbs on P.K.

• Yvon Pedneault on Carey Price

• From a Toronto angle

Jordan Eberle scores a beauty and the Oilers romp

And video evidence to suggest Karri Ramo may not be the next Patrick Roy. The score was 1-1, and a Dman made a desperate clearing attempt in front of Ramo’s opposite number. The puck travelled the length of the ice, and …

1. jimmy shaker says:

I hope you’re right….but disagree with your take on PK’s shot.  Not near as close to MAB’s howitzer.  Sure PK has the talent and the ability to dangle back there and do his savardian spinarama, but without the cannon MAB has, the other teams will not be too worried.  MAB, PK and Marky lagging all the minutes on the PP, would put terror into opposing coach’s and penalty killers.  I think it would work great.  MAB’s shot opens up alot of lanes for Marky to thread his passes and for PK to activate the back door!  I’ll wait and see what Marky does for the PP when he comes back, but I hope MAB will still be around by then!  His rehab is finishing up soon as well!

2. krob1000 says:

lol …..where can I get one of those….I just don’t edit them until I see them on the main page and I often just get them on there when the phone rings at work too.  More often than not someone replies too quickly and I can’t do anything about it when I do have time to try and edit …it isn’t a spelling issue….it is a very, very serious typing issue.  Worst thing about this problem is I have worked here for 5 years…and don’t get any better.  I type on an angle the way the keyboard is….my right hand is actually near my left shoulder and my left is way out …..not sure if that is why it never gets any better but I also have my palms down and am often told that is a big no no too…..and that I should be typing from the air.  Oh well… least you have the new translator tool!

3. SeriousFan09 says:

1 Goal off of a picture-perfect feed by Koivu (Hey that sounds familiar!) That Tom The Bomb could have cashed in while he was here. He was invisible while Carolina took the game back and won it. That’s a typical performance, never around when the team actually needs him.

4. Jordio-oh says:

A very sizeable post without a single mention of the rest of the team.

Pretty obvious where your focus lies. Price played on a team last night, in case you were to preoccupied over-analyzing each goal he let in.

Cool I get to use my brand new krob1000 translator/spell check!!!

6. matraque says:

Can someone point to me why O’Byrne is on this team?

Also… Everyone seems to be ripping on Pouliot now… interesting.  I remember everyone telling he was BETTER then Latendresse (who will kill it in minn btw).  Is the Pouliot love fest over already?  Pouliot already had more chances then Latendresse…..

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban’s got a booming shot to throw at the net and far more importantly, he can keep the puck in at the blue line whne it comes his way, tired of seeing those lazy reachs by MAB rather than actually skating after the puck. He’s got far more talent and tricks to use in a PP situation, in a month we’ll be wondering why anyone was moaning about MAB.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

2010-11 season predictions from Down Goes Brown, personal favourite…

March 2, 2011 – The trade deadline passes. Maple Leafs
    general manager Brian Burke keeps his promise to not ask Tomas Kaberle
    to waive his no-trade clause, in the sense that throwing a burlap sack
    over someone’s head and shoving them into a cargo plane bound for
    Vancouver is not technically “asking”.

9. jimmy shaker says:

MAB would be the offense from the backend that the boys really need.  He’d get at least 15 goals from the backend easily.  Picard doesn’t have the shot that MAB does nor does PK.   MAB while not close to the minus 20 another person posted below ( in the playoffs last year, I believe he was at minus 12)  would be far better suited at getting 10 minutes a game + the PP minutes.  IF our PP doesn’t role, then our 5 v 5 play has to be better, and based on the size of this team, the 5 v 5 aspect really didn’t improve from last year.  THerefore just like last year, the PP has to be our bread and butter just like it was.  With a healthy Marky and a healthy MAB, I really think we can ride the PP all the way into the playoffs.  Remember, the regular season is a different team every game/night, not the same team like the post season.  THis is to MAB’s advantage, and the PP’s.  Sign him and get rid of Picard, we already have weber……didn’t impress me last night anyway!

10. habs001 says:

it would have been nice to win yesterday because now we go into pitts where there is a good chance we will lose and after come home to play tampa and all the pressure will be on us,,,tampa will be nice and relaxed and they play well in montreal…the season could get ugly very fast if tampa scores 5-6 goals…

11. krob1000 says:

I am actually not all that adverse to ringing MAB back if there is room for him…which there isn’t as of now.  what happens when we have MAB is that we essentially have two dmen who are liabilities at 5 on 5 in he and Gill …but both are studs in specialt eam situations.  MAb can play forward mintues but we also shored the depth dept up and now have 4 lines we can roll …so…. we have so many great  role players on the pp and guys who can play pp but the pices are nott ideally matched.  Markov plays the left like a genius but he needs a lefty, hard shooting pp guy on the right point.  We have subban who play s in Markovs spot and is a righty…..but then Markov would have to play out of position….or PK odes.  This is a reason why Weber has never had any success with us…a right hand shot on a pp that is designed to isolate a left handed cannon from the right point….and have the left dman be mobile and a set up guy. I actually think that if you put Weber on the left side for the pp he could do alright but every chance he has ever had with us has him out of position and takes away his biggest asset which is his heavy shot. It will be interesting to see if Subban plays with markov on the pp……or if they have the second unit attack from the other side…..

12. riazp says:

lol good one!

13. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I will never understand that ‘equal talent’ argument, there’s always other elements besides talent that you need to look at, experience, character, leadership… and besides why would you chose the player with way more pressure on his shoulders to perform? Doesn’t make sense.

14. SLONCOLD says:

the pad thing is interesting. over one year he went from:

-velocity 7700 (hybrid pad.. the red ones)

– epic 8080( pre curved butterfly pad)

– velecoity v4 ( white but they red blue inserts in the knee role)

the 2 velocity pads play the same but the epic pad is completely different.

just odd to see so such change in his goalie gear. goalies are a funny bunch and usually hate changing gear. just a observation.

15. Storm Man says:

Maybe the FACT he hates the Habs………

16. SeriousFan09 says:

You’d swear Markov was out for 5 months the way we’ve got hand-wringing about the PP unit, he gets back and it hits full speed again, RDS/CKAC are just moaning that Habs let another hometown boy go, one who was close to -20 on the year regular season and playoffs included.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

I didn’t notice the pad changes (White pads are white pads to me!) but I just get the feeling he’ll be good in that mask. His masks that have really gone more with his past/personality like the country music mask are where he seemed to be the most comfortable, he switched to that one in the NSH game last season and had one of his best games ever and that month pretty much accounted for every point the team had.

18. Storm Man says:

Adam I had no clue you had a 5-13 record what sport do you play again?

19. LA Loyalist says:

Um, we lost to the Leafs.

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game” – Carey Price

20. SLONCOLD says:

well 5 mil seems like alot but then again they r paying ryder 4. lots of people in teh league think 5m for pleks is alot of money.

21. krob1000 says:

What is all this about MAB coming back to save our PP? Are you people serious…MArkov is the PP….not MAB….anyone who can shoot a puck from the right point and is a left shot Markov can turn into a pp genius.  He has done it with Souray, Streit, and MAB.  Markov’s ability to make cors ice passes if the forward takes away the point man, his ability to jump down low and his unreal passing ability (always in the shooting pocket) make anyone better.  IF  and this is a gigantic IF……MAB is still without contract….AND…our PP sucks with Markov and Subban because Subban is a righty and they may move Markov to the other point?  I would expect though that with Markov around…then maybe?? .Alex Picard could turn into a legit pp threat though from that side…..unless MAB is Markov’s new nickname there is some weird crap being spewed about on here today. Mike Green mans the right point on the PP as a righty…but they have Oveckins right hand cannon from the other side as the one timer option…be interesting to see how things paly out on the pp….with the whole righty/lefty thing with Markov and Subban….only given that markov usually plays the left side point on the pp like Subban.  The cross ice to Pleks or Cammi or Kovy or whoever has always been key to our success and creates space so I am not sure what they will do…..does PK just amn the 2nd unit? move Picard in there? do tehy switch them? does Pk play the right side leaving our best pp guy in Markov most comfortable but then we lose the one timer from the right side??? some rather serious questions given the importance of the pp to this team…..

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Briere’s the only player to publically turn down a Habs offer, you think the Habs haven’t offered other French Canadians the money so they could bring in more hometown heroes in the last 10 years that could score more than a handful of goals each year?

I’m tired of players saying “Oh I’d love to be here” than they manage to spend their entire career everywhere but Montreal. If they really cared, if the Canadiens were the team they felt his deep overriding passion to play there than hey maybe they would take a little less than the biggest offer because it meant that much to them. So far, no takers.

23. SLONCOLD says:

totally slick mask…. on another note did anyone notice price changed his pads again lol. he went from epics to v4 velocities….

24. LA Loyalist says:

It Depends ™

25. PrimeTime says:

You make it sound like the games will all be won or lost on Price’s performance. Well excuse, but sure a game can be stolen or lost by the goalie, but the mass majority of games are deciced by the team’s performance. We were missing 3 top players last night and still close to getting a point. I subscribe to the theory if 2 or 3 of your top 11 players (goalie, top 4 D, top 6 F’s) do not play well or are injured you will not win. The games are decided solely on the goalies performance so lay off your inaccurate post game analysis!…………………………………………

People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans

26. adam76 says:

The “Thoroughbreds” win loss record in 2010:
    5 – 13 Why worry?

27. SLONCOLD says:

uhm why would a player ever take a pay cut? and why would he want to play in montreal when boston is looking like they could be considered an elite team; also the dude above shuld realise that in recent memory the only player to really turn down a habs offer was briere i believe.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, I’m agreeing with Shiloh mostly.

Oh damn, here come the Horsemen.

29. jimmy shaker says:

While we for the most part disagree on most topics, as I posted something similar below….I agree that MAB has to be on this team.  For a team that doesn’t produce 5 v 5, the PP has to be the difference on this team.  I’d take MAB over picard anyday!  He’s still rehabing his knee, but should be ready to go by then end of October.  Bring him back Gauthier!  This is what the D would look like….

Spacek/Hammer/MAB  (rotating these 3 guys amongst eachother)

7D with 11 forwards Cammy, gio, AK46, eller, poully all taking a 2nd shift on the fourth line on a rotating system.

30. Mr. Biter says:

Did not know about MAB’s surgery. Thanks for the info.

31. Mattyleg says:

Hey everyone, remember the Latvian slugger that was supposed to beat everyone up for us a few years back until Chara smashed his orbital bone and ended his Montreal career?

Here he is again to similar result!

Sorry there’s no sound.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. SLONCOLD says:

from a goalies perspective my view on the goals. The first one was stopable but price was down way to early and a little deep. The second goal was a nifty move by kessel. Price did over play kessel to cut across the crease but that’s because kessel came in with a ton of speed. 3rd goal is almost impossible to stop; the defense has to take away that shot. by letting the player cut to the inside, it forces goalies to slide across.

price made 3 huge stops in the game which is very good to see. i think the 3rd line was great yesterday with a shout out to laps. eller showed some flashes which was awesome as well….. gomez? didn’t know he was in the lineup until i checked the box scores…

33. Mr. Biter says:

Agree totally with your post. Posted almosted the same before i read your post.

34. Harani says:

The problem is that MAB also had surgery is only expected to be ready in November. Which is after Markov will be back. So, after Markov returns, if our problem are still significant, we can consider MAB.

“It must be love!”

35. SeriousFan09 says:

New pictures of Price’s mask courtesy of Stubb’s Twitter.

36. Mattyleg says:

Good post!

Although I don’t agree with you about AK. He seemed drifty again.

I give all Habs the benefit of the doubt always, but I started getting a bit irritated with Drifty Driftoffski.

Show some heart!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. Corio says:

That goal by Eberle was EPIC!  Wow this guy is awesome, I am so jealous of Edmonton..

38. SeriousFan09 says:

His chances at a bigger contract going up in smoke.

39. Mattyleg says:

Of course he wasn’t.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Because Bergeron and most of the French Canadians give the party line to the media that they’d ‘love to play in Montreal’ than go after the money elsewhere. He just passed over his UFA period and took the cash in Boston, I’m sure he’ll give a lovely quote to the media the next time he’s here about wanting to play in Montreal one day but actions speak for something.

The day a Francophone takes a pay cut over the UFA market to come play in Montreal I’ll believe it’s not bunk that they have this real passion to play here right now, I’ll take guys who Plekanec who actually come through on their word.

41. Bryan says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I agree with everything you just said.

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

42. habs001 says:

overall the leafs forwards are not in the top 25 in the nhl but they scored 3 goals and had several really good chances…just good solid goaltending by the habs will not be enough based on our d play…our goalies will have to stop shots regularly that if they go in cannot be blamed for….ak46 just does not generate enough scoring chances in a game to score 25-30 goals….if he does not improve this he would have to have one of the best goal scoring chances and goals scored ratio in the nhl to get 25-30 goals….till markov and hammer get back and gill ,spacek,obyrne play better we are looking at giving up 3-5 goals a game unless we have spectacular goaltending

43. 123456 says:

nice post – whether we are in love with price or dislike him, a thoughtful post is always appreciated.

44. Mr. Biter says:

I posted earlier this summer (a few times) that until AM comes back we needed MAB. PK is a superior player but AM & MAB were the only Hab d-men who could one time a pass for a shot (hard shot) on net. Our PP sucked till MAB came aboard last year and seems to be in the same boat again (if you include exhibition games). I realize he is error prone playing defense but without him playing on the PP we would not have made the playoffs last year. He even played half decent in the playoffs untill the Flyers series where they showed his defensive (and size) liability side. But if the PP woes continue we are in deeeeeeeeppppp trouble.

BTW was MAB signed by anyone.

45. Harani says:

Ian White calls the Eberle goal “flukey”. WTH was he watching?

“It must be love!”

46. Shiloh says:

Pleks in an instant. One more serious hit on Bergeron and his career could be over. And – Tomas Jagr plays hard every shift.

47. mchab33 says:

Why aren’t you playing goal for an NHL team?  Your ability to break a play down from you couch is amazing.  My bet, Phil Kessel on a breakaway against you, you poo your pants.

48. smiler2729 says:

This loss wasn’t on the Habs’ goaltending so put away your microscope. Awful power play and losing too many faceoffs – and NO URGENCY.

As for Price, first one, a deflection – no chance. Second one, breakaway by Kessel, made the save but bad bounce and bad luck – it still barely trickles in. Third one, surprize backhand from the slot, tough save but it had to be made. You might see it differently wearing Halak glasses, it’s all relative.

Habs take on a mean, pissed off Penguin team in Pittsburgh Saturday, I say they BEAT ‘EM.

49. Shiloh says:

I think with Cammy back in Pouliot drops to the 3rd line and our top six become very dangerous. Eller was great – if he puts on a few pounds he might become a top tier player. AK46 had some jump and Tomas Jagr was a presence. Gionta almost scored to tie the game with a few seconds left. PK played well. Halpern and Boyd are soldiers – they accept their assignments and engage the enemy.

I have been one of the biggest knockers of Price, but in this game he gave the team a chance to win. He made some good saves. Unlucky on the 2nd goal – he actually made a terrific save and then his momentum dragged it in.

Hamrlik will help, and Markov will elevate the team when he returns. Pittsburgh will be a tough game, and we may need Price to stand on his head.

50. Harani says:

Also, something I don’t know how much it was mentioned, but so far,

“It must be love!”

51. Laramy87 says:

It is a brutal atmosphere. I hate the leafs with every ounce of my body, but i sucked up my pride and took my gf last year to watch TB vs Leafs for her bday. It was dull and boring and quiet. I figured lasts nite game was going to be better being home opener and with the habs, it was not. I could almost hear a pin drop at times. No passion no fun. PPl in front of me didn’t get back to thier seats until 6:50 left inthe second period??? REALLY?

52. matraque says:

Who told you Bergeron don’t want to be here?  Source please.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

53. matraque says:

Bergeron all the way.  I really like Plek, but if i could take a french canadian of equal talent, i always take the french canadian.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Difference is Plekanec wants to be here.

55. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. I watched the “highlights” 3 more times this morning to be sure.

First goal Price had no chance.

Kessel breakaway goal I thought was horrible by Price (aside from being horrible defensively), Kessel had nowhere to go as a Hab defender got back to take away the move across the net. Watch it again – Kessel could not move towards the center of the net. All Price had to do was track Kessel and cover his post. The pressure is all on Kessel as he is moving fast with limited real estate. Bad, bad goal at a bad time. It’s not like Kessel made a great shot.

Third goal. Price was out far enough – the back hand was clever, but that’s a relatively easy blocker or pad save if Price was paying attention. I was trying to figure out what he was looking at, but I couldn’t.

Third period – yes he made some good stops. But we need a goalie for 60 minutes, not when he feels like it.

Summary: Technically, aside from the breakaway which was bad judgement on his part, he looked sound.

I think it’s a focus or concentration issue, maybe just rust/rhythm issue (we hope) he hasn’t played a lot against NHL regulars lately.

I’m actually glad we have a couple of tough games on top of each other now as it will give Price enough challenging work that he can get it going.

Or not.

There was a fine goaltending performance last night. Some guy that no one here had any interest in. A guy who lost his job but came back from the summer ready to play. Does that sound familiar? Didn’t think so.

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game” – Carey Price

56. Mattyleg says:

Was “wear a metal helmet” part of Bergeron’s contract, do you know?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. riazp says:

MAB would probably play for 500k…if thats the case…sign him and have him on as a pp specialist and on the 4th line…plus it will make pauline marois happy

58. Mattyleg says:

I love the first week or so of the season.

There are all kinds of goals and plays that you’ll never see for the rest of the year, based on shaky communication between defensemen and quick forwards who aren’t scared to take risks because they haven’t been pummeled into unconsciousness while they were doing toe-drags and dangles.

That all includes us.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Some people have senior moments, Peter Chiarelli has Sather moments.

60. riazp says:

Agreed, JSG made some really key save…against eller on his knees and in the dying seconds…the leafs need JSG to find his old form if they want to have a chance of making the playoff

61. SmartDog says:

Pleks anyday.  Same kind of offensive upside in an excellent two-way player who provides leadersihp and somehow still flies under the radar (isn’t over-rated).

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

62. joshua94k says:

Joke of the night:

I believe it was CBC’s Eliotte Friedeman who attributed the Leafs dismal season last year to bad practices and poor game preparation. He even sounded serious when he said that. Is that a knock on the coaching calibre of Ron Wilson. He did try different things like throwing tennis ballls and getting his players to catch them in practice.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

63. SeriousFan09 says:

I wouldn’t take him, others would but so far Pleks is proven for MTL and Bergeron… I just don’t get a good vibe from him honestly, something about his game just doesn’t feel like it’s built for when you really need him.

64. riazp says:

I dont understand how boston can give him that much money with their futre cap problems….

65. SmartDog says:

I agree that defensive break-downs was our #1 weakness.  And either the PP or a couple of forwards who need to step it up were second.  So Price did do pretty well, he played up to the average of the team at least I would say.

All I’m saying is he was out-dueled by JSG. We need to be able to say this kind of stuff about him some games:

“on the other end JSG played very well – the save on eller from his knees
    and gionta at the end were huge….he took enough net away from pleks
    to make him hit the post.”

And yeah, last night would’ve been a good start.  All I’m sayin’.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

66. SmartDog says:

Torona fans are just so excited to have won something, they’re like high school kids cheering on their team.  It’s sad. Let them have their fun.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

67. mchab33 says:

Did you enjoy the emotion of the pre-game?  Me and my buddies were laughing so hard…..the Leafs have no idea how to pull these things off.

How about how empty the stands were after the second period?

Worst venue to watch a game.

68. Harani says:

Patrice Bergeron gets 3 years/15 million. I think that’s way too much to give him Pleks money. Who would you have at 5 million, Pleks or Bergeron?

“It must be love!”

69. 123456 says:

agreed dog, i am a price supporter as i have seen the upside he has. the 3 goals were all nice plays by TO – but yes if he had stopped one then the game goes to OT. while saying that – he was left out on his own at leat a half dozen tiems and he did make a few great saves… so it’s hard to really say if only he had 1 of hte 3 goeals because really he stopped what could have been a couple more goals. on the other end JSG played very well – the save on eller from his knees and gionta at the end were huge….he took enough net away from pleks to make him hit the post.

so the positives – i though the habs carried a lot of the play. price looked great at times. habs have solid 3rd and 4th line. maybe eller sticks at top 6 guy.

i hate to say it but the biggest negative is HUGE defensive breakdowns. first goal we can chaulk up to pleks not string on the puck (which is unusual), second goal…. calling hal gill – hello.. terrbile play. third… well we all saw it right. (also need better PP)

so the take away – i’m happy hockey is back, habs looked good. get hte PP working and the habs will be even better to watch

70. Habsrule1 says:

Wow…talk about having it in for Price. There were actually more than just those 3 defensive errors, but those were the 3 that led to goals. Price bailed out the team plenty. They just decided to do the opposite for him.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

71. matraque says:

So…. Markov intervention was real…  Interesting.

Good interview with Carey.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

72. Malreg says:

When your team hasn’t been to the playoffs in 6 years, beating the Canadiens is like winning the Stanley Cup.

73. SmartDog says:

I agree with most that there was nothing terrible about the game. It was about as a reasonable guess would expect.

But there wasn’t much great about it either.   And though I think Price played well most of the game, this does bother me:

Three defensive errors, three GA.

EVERY TIME Price loses people say “he didn’t get any support”.  A goalie needs to bail out his team.  If he can’t do that now and then – or even on a regular basis – he’s not a #1 goalie in the NHL.  I’m not slagging Price. It’s early in the year and he’ll have better games.  But I am tired of this “not his fault” stuff.  We outshot the other guys.  And still lost.  And that sucks.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

74. jimmy shaker says:

Can’t wait for MAB to get back and then he and Marky can get the PP going.  If we don’t have the PP this year, then I believe the playoffs will not be in our forecast.  Our 5 v 5 play which sucked last year and seems to be no quite similar again so far will be our major challenge.  So the one area we can exploit, is the PP… get MAB back for 750000 thou, get  picard out of there and at least the PP will keep us in contention.  0 for 3 or 0 for 4 last night.  Marky and MAB = instant offense, stamp it!  Price did the job last night, although I would like to see him wait out shooters more on breakaways, seems like he and Jaro (last year) routinely were/are beaten on breakaways.

75. Laramy87 says:

Was at the game last nite in Toronto, i have to say the atmosphere sucked. Leaf fans are so quiet. The loudest cheer came for Johnny Bower before the game.

I have to say as well, my friends (all leaf fans) dont knwo squat about hockey. Im talking about how habs outplayed them, i get responses like how to you figure, blah blah blah. Oh man did yuo watch the game? This morning ona radio show the host said, The leafs just beat a far inferior team!… Are you kidding me, what makes leafs this delusional? They are 1-0 on an 82 game schedule, they beat tha habs the didnt win the cup….

Just terrible ppl lol