The mourning after

5583597

Wanna feel even worse?
Ryan McDonagh (an OT winner), Roman Hamrlik, Mikhail Grabovski, Ryan O’Byrne and Christopher Higgins scored goals Thursday night.

“We’re not doing things the right way” and other profundities from the room

Pat Hickey’s game story

Hal Gill honoured in Pittsburgh

• Stu Hackel on Gill

Pierre Ladouceur’s game grades

Randy Phillips on Martin Raymond

1. Captain aHab says:

What worries me is that the Habs just never are sellers. They always act like buyers trying to make the playoffs. Now when you acquire a piece or two for a second or third rounder, that’s not so bad. But if they have a really bad start and STILL refuse to be sellers, I shudder at what they will give up to acquire enough players to make the playoffs. Are they going to be stoopid enough to throw around 1st rounders and some of our best prospects to get an aging veteran to hopefully make the playoffs and last a round? I would hope not but I fear what will happen.

• Jordio-oh says:

I’m curious about this as well. It’s obviously still early in the season, but IF the Habs find themselves 6 or 7 points out of a playoff spot come trade deadline, do they try and acquire extra power to push them into the playoffs, or do they stand pat, or do they sell off their UFA’s for draft picks?

Kostitsyn, Moen, Darche, Gorges, Gill. All UFA’s. Do we sell off Gorges for picks? Do we get anything for any of these players?

I hope we don’t have to make those types of decisions.

2. BONZOHABS says:

Last night was a terrible effort…I didn’t expect to see such a depressing effort. I expected the Habs to come out hungry for the W! The Pens came out fore-checking hard. The Habs weren’t skating, weren’t making space and weren’t capitalizing on their opportunities! I’m not throwing this team, management and coach under the bus! This is team is a really good team! Maybe it’d be better if we could have a big 1st line center instead of Gomez to fill our cap, but everything else is there. The team needs to follow the “Game Plan” and it is a process…and right now the Habs are finding themselves having a tough time getting that process going. Injuries are not an excuse, cuz last years depleted Habs played better than last night’s effort! Saturday’s game vs. Toronto is huge and can help start a turn-around! Habs have to play as a team, win and lose as a team and they haven’t done that of late…cept for the Buffalo game and portions of other games. It’s frustrating, but I’d much prefer a tough time at the beginning of the season than at the end or in the playoffs. Habs need some soul searching as a team right now and they will find their game. Go Habs Go!

3. Anti JM says:

yakupov shmakupov…

I would be far more interested in drafting big tough excellent north american skaters who know how the game is played….simple up and down north south banging winning battles on the wall and who can put a puck on the tape or in the net. Is that too much to ask?

4. EricInStL says:

Ok so what’s coming up ?
    Against Toronto 60% chance of a loss
    Against Florida 50%-50%
    Against Flyers 70% chance of losing
    and 2 against Boston 70% chance of losing.

So if there is something to be done, it will be after the last game against Boston.

Bring in Pierre McGuire, a guy who is in love with the idea of running the Canadiens. Does PG look happy ? Does he look like he takes it badly ? We want emotion et want passion. McGuire is the man. And let him bring in the coach he wants.

We have nothing to lose….C`mon Geoff don`t drop the ball on this one….

Fail for Nail

• Bill J says:

If McGuire is hired, I expect a mass exodus of Hab fans.

He is not “the man”, he is a flip flopper at best.

• G-Man says:

Bring in McGuire. Buahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah! (wheeze*wheeze*cough*cough*snort*)

• EricInStL says:

Would McGuire have singned Budaj to a 1.175 millions dollar contract to back up Price ? Really ?????

• DEANDALLEY says:

U have a point there!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• ManApart says:

Would Mcguire have traded a stud D prospect for Gomez? Just that move not being made, changes everything. Do it Geoff!!

• SeriousFan09 says:

He would have drafted Gilbert Brule over Carey Price if he’d had the chance. Or would he? would he have drafted Kopitar instead perhaps? I’ve lost track of what his actual position on the 2005 draft is, seems he keeps changing it like a good little two-faced punk who hasn’t had an NHL job since before PK Subban’s youngest brother was born.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• ManApart says:

I actually was talking to my friend about that yesterday, as I don’t remember, and he swears that McGuire was angry that the Habs didn’t draft Kopitar that day. He didn’t want Price, he wanted the big center. Imagine where the team could be with Kopitar instead of Gomez? McGuire knew the best move that day and I would have utmost confidence in his analysis of what needs rto be done in todays game.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Issue with Mcguire remains he seems to like to rewrite history. His position seems to change when it suits him. Pacioretty was ready for the NHL in the pre-season of 08-09 when he called that exhibition MTL-DET game that year, than he quickly became a straw man for him to use as an example of how not taking David Perron instead was a mistake for the next two years until he broke out as a true power forward.

He doesn’t say much about Pacioretty being a bad choice now, especially since he brings every quality the team needs to the ice.
            – I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Bill J says:

Keep in mind, McGuire didn’t like Price, then liked him, then didn’t like him, then liked him again.

I’ve lost track of what he thinks of Price today.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Passion, emotion, physicality and toughness is not liked on this site there EricInStl! you won’t be popular with that statement.

• ManApart says:

Pretty accurate percentages, I would say, except 90% they lose vs the Flyers.
      I agree with McGuire. I would take him in a milisecond over the goof brothers. More like a nanosecond.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Pierre Mcguire has not had an actual NHL job since before I was in high school. He’s a two-faced weasel who conveniently re-engineers what he said about this team on a constant basis because he can’t get over that he isn’t the GM.

If you can’t get work with an NHL team for 16 years, there’s typically a reason behind it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• EricInStL says:

I guess you are unbiased….

My insight into why McGuire hasn’t had a job is about the same as yours Serious. But you really think that McGuire would be worse that what the Canadiens have had ?

He can`t be worse than Houle ?

• SeriousFan09 says:

Not being worse than Houle is not a way to select a new GM. Mcguire’s inability to stay on point and not oversell other teams to dump on the Canadiens shows a lack of integrity on his part. Or just poor judgement, either way do we want that in the front office? Mocked Price’s drafting, said Habs were fine with Theodore, Huet and Yann Denis.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• EricInStL says:

He said the pick was off the reservation. A poor choice of words. I would have loved to know who they would have picked instead of Price. At #5 your pick should be able to make it to your roster and start or be very close to starting. The Habs had other needs IMO…

• ManApart says:

PG has had many years of work with NHL teams.What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. He’s incompetent. McGuire sees the current state of the NHL, talks to and covers every team. The bad and good ones. He has more connections than the goof brothers ever will. He knows a lot of capable and smart people who could help him. I don’t know how great he could be, I do know he has a lot more of a clue than goof and goof jr.

• SeriousFan09 says:

He thought Gilbert Brule was the ace of the draft and the Habs made a mistake not drafting him at the time. Imagine if the Habs highest draft pick in over a decade right now was playing in the AHL instead of Carey Price being our starting goalie. He Evaluated Theodore, Huet and Denis as Habs having a solid future in goal.

He called a Capitals prospect called Dmitri Orlov (yet to play an NHL Game) is the next Sergei Zubov! Imagine if our GM said PK Subban was the next Brad Park. He insisted Rangers prospect Chris Kreider is destroying the NCAA, he was at a .67 PPG pace over 2 seasons.

Either he is delusional or a completely unprincipled hack, I really don’t care which.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Ozmodiar says:

“a guy who is in love with the idea of running the Canadiens”

i don’t think this makes him qualified.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

McGuire is a self serving SOB, NO NEVER!

Trevor Timmins has done good work, let him take on more work, he’s young, he can handle it.

• dallyd31 says:

Good Lord…McGuire ? There isn’t a bigger idiot, know nothing blowhard in hockey

• J_P says:

Pierre Mcguire does an excellent job of making himself seem like hes a good candidate using hindsight. Clearly, ownership around the league isnt fooled because no one wants to hire him as a GM. Let him cut his teeth as an assistant GM for a few years. I am positive he would fail if he was a GM.

If Pierre Mcguire was made GM of the habs – which is moot because it would never happen – I would certainly jump ship. I can’t stand the guy.

5. shiram says:

Practice lines.

Cammy Pleks Gio
    MaxPac DD Cole
    Moen Eller AK46
    Darch Engqvist Palushaj

Spacek is back too.

P.K. Subban – Josh Gorges
    Hal Gill – Raphael Diaz
    Jaroslav Spacek – Alexei Emelin

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

6. Mattyleg says:

I’ve been saying for YEARS that it’s going to snow, and yet people STILL insist on wearing t-shirts for a large part of the year!

Wake up people! We live in Canada! How many times have I told you that you need to wear parkas?

All you delusional people are walking around in flipflops, while I’m sitting here in my snowsuit like the last sane person on Earth!!

Now that it’s getting colder, you’re all going to have to apologise to me for saying that I’m crazy, that I smell bad, and that I should brush the rancid poutine out of my long, scraggly beard!!

It’s payback time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. Anti JM says:

The problems from a talent persective are few….

we need to resolve the gomez fiasco, and we need to improve team toughness. Other than that, we have some nice young talent, with a few decent vets and some good looking prospects coming. No panic, BUT, with JM at the helm, no matter what talent we have, we wont win. Its pretty simple. You think the players fear JM? you think they are motivated by JM? You think that if the coach is unemotional(which with JM is an understatement) then the players will be unemotional? I think these guys may like JM as a person, but dont fear him or respect him as a coach.

8. Tony McLean says:

______________________________
    Where is the next Beliveau? The next Ferguson? The next Rocket? The next Patrick Roy? The next Lafleur? THE NEXT SAM POLLOCK???

9. shiram says:

Yakupov is the talk of the tanking hour, but wouldn’t he be just another smurf on the Habs roster, guy can’t even break 6 feet.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

10. DEANDALLEY says:

When the Habs have 4th spot all wrapped up we all will be looking back & laughing about all this panic!

Correct?

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

11. Lafrich says:

The following is taking for granted that the team played AWFULLY last night:

Maybe I am crazy, but I see a good young team, with some solid veterans, learning how to play with one another. The defense is a little depleted, but it isn’t that bad.
    Patches, Eller, Deharnais, Kostitsyn, Pleks all look good. Cammalleri was a giveaway machine last night, perhaps emulating Erik Cole’s first 6 games as a Hab.

Regardless, I like the lineup, and I think in time they will win way more than they lose.

• ManApart says:

Nice thought, but no. The best they can do is live up to the squeek into the playoffs and be bounced in the 1st round act. Maybe when the 5 year plan gets to it’s 11th year, we’ll start to see some progress.

12. AK_PK_Usay says:

LMAO

Boston gets so many votes when almost every game has some dirty hits and scrums…

And chicago barely gets any votes when it was the best game in last few years (speed skill NO dirty hits)… tells you about the readers on the website

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

That Chicago game at the end of last season that PK won in OT was one of the best regular season games I’ve seen; that said, can’t beat the Beantown rivalry!

• Tony McLean says:

You saying Byfuglien is Lady Byng material? Miss Congeniality?
      —————————————————–

• Mattyleg says:

To be honest, I put in Detroit because I think they’re kind of cool.

I wouldn’t really want to go to a Booin’s game. I’d get too worked up and if we lost, I’d be too angry to do anything. Going to see Detroit means I’d have a good time no matter what. Not so much at stake.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. Anti JM says:

Sticking with JM while we have this many young guys now and coming is not a recipe for success. JM is simply not going to be the man that gets us our next cup. It wont happen. He’s not capable of it. I say we deal with the issue now and start to put in place a system that will teach the young guys how to win and hopefully allow these young guys and some vets to play to their strengths…

having to play in JM’s rigid system is not only killing us now, its going to impact our future talent. Its no coincidence that since JM took over this team, our offense has gone downhill, guys individual production is down, guys who normally are offensive guys are suddenly having “off years”…

I’m telling you now…if this is not addressed soon, it WILL impact our development as a young team.

14. Ozmodiar says:

Unlikely that Molson fires PG mid-season.

Unlikely that PG fires JM until he’s given a chance with his full D corps.

I’m guessing…if they don’t improve their play, say by mid December, JM will be fired. If there isn’t a marked improvement under the new coach, roster turnover will follow at the trade deadline or in the off-season, depending on where they sit in the standings.

• Tony McLean says:

Agreed but there’s plenty of precedent for an early firing (not midseason). Don’t forget the preseason was a splash too. Many saw this coming. Lots of time left to rescue the season but I’m for a change at the top(s).
      —————————————————–

15. Hobie Hansen says:

As I’ve been attempting to point out here for a couple years now, this team has no JAM or at most times a serious lack of it!

And the one man that could at least pump the team behind the bench and get the juices flowing, Kirk Muller, is gone.

Not only is the defense small and timid but the team is without any player who lifts his teammates by throwing some big hits, getting in a good scrap.

After the Habs game I flipped over to the NYR/CGY game and I was watching Iginla, Dubinsky, Callahan, Prust and many other players throw big hits, get in scraps and the benches were on their feet and the game was super intense.

To take a line from good old Don Cherry, watching the Habs is like watching Sweeds and Finns playing in December. There is no emotion or no heart being displayed.

We’re the softest and most passive team in the history of the NHL and until we add some “Rah Rah” types to this team that can lift everyone spirits with some physical play, expect more of the same.

We’ve got plenty of skilled players who I enjoy watching but this is hockey and being physical and emotional is a huge part of winning!

LETS GO!!!!

• dallyd31 says:

If you are taking any lines from Don Cherry unfortunately, you just lost credibility

• Ozmodiar says:

I’m always hearing that we have to get bigger, and yet, individually, our smaller players seem to be popular amongst the fan base.

So, apart from the obvious (#11), what diminutive ones should we consider moving? DD? Gio? Cammy?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I really think even if we sacrifice a little offense or a prospect the complexion of the team should be changed.

And I’m not talking about just size and goons. Gallagher, who is back in Vancouver has some spunk and actually gets angry when things don’t go his was and shows some emotion.

I hope White is back soon cuz he can lift the bench with his play.

I think anybody on the Habs, aside from Subban and Price, is trade-able for more heart and passion.

• Ozmodiar says:

yeah, i hear ya. Not goons. Just some guys who make it a little tougher on opposing defensemen. A decent mix of size, speed and toughness.

Yes, Price and Subban are likely untradeable. I might put Pleks and Patches on the b-list.

• Tony McLean says:

I’d move Gio in a minute and make Cammalleri captain. Much more firey, more outspoken, a real leader, unlike the quiet(er) Gionta. Trade him for an SOB. Defense, forward, doesn’t matter. Let’s get an answer to Chara, Malone, Holmstrom et al.
        —————————————————–

• SeriousFan09 says:

Nothing makes me laugh more than when you say the “Answer to Chara”, it is illegal to hire hit men to smash his knees.

And what makes Cammalleri ‘a real leader’? He is a streaky goal-scorer who had very dry production in the last regular season pre-injury and didn’t make up for it with defensive play. I like him but he has not screamed C to anyone.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Ozmodiar says:

But people will say – “that’s our captain, man!!” :)

I’d be happy with a top six of:
          Cammy – Pleks – Cole
          Patches – Eller – AK

spend the extra cash on depth and D.

• LA Loyalist says:

You can’t get the same return for Gionta as Cammi. Goal scorers, even dried out ones, will always bring a premium.

Is Gio our captain? I thought we hadn’t named one yet.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, let’s toss in some bigoted statements to make apoint, nothing like invoking Don Cherry!

Please, Teemu Selanne has no heart? Koivu (either of them?) Lidstrom? Franzen? Zetterberg? Holmstrom? Knock it off with that crap. It is an insult to the brotherhood of the game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Hobie Hansen says:

Get a life Serious, If you can’t see this this team in not physical and emotional enough you better stick to reading stats of junior prospects and re-post them here.

• SeriousFan09 says:

You had no reason to invoke a bigoted remark. I will call out the bigotry of anti-European garbage until hopefully one day it is finally made a disgrace to repeat it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Hobie Hansen says:

Don’t be so sensitive. You should go sit behind a bench at a hockey game and listen to the insults, they’re much worse than that!

• LA Loyalist says:

If the players on Habs are soft that’s got nothing to do with where they are from. is Saku soft? Is Ovechkin soft? Is Markov soft?

The greatest Habs hit in recent memory (Kovalev on Darcy Tucker) was by a Russian. Was Kovalev soft?

Was Mats Naslund soft? Our last 100 pt player?

The great irony of this debate is it is truly mental toughness that is the issue. The players are confused and the coach has lost them. That has nothing to do with where they send their parents postcards.

• Tony McLean says:

Saku Koivu is THE most over-rated Canadien of all time.
        —————————————————–

• LA Loyalist says:

I’m raising my 8 year old boy to be as much like Koivu as possible, to win his draws, score, pass, back check, block shots, work his ass off, show up every night… and especially to fight through adversity.

So far my kid is the #1 center on his travel team. He just won an MVP award, and for every goal he scores he donates $5 to a teenagers’ charity.

I’ve explained to my son how Koivu had to play on a lot of bad teams, how he fought through cancer, a cut eyeball, helped raise $6M bucks for an MRI machine — and if you want to question his leadership or hockey skill, just watch the greatest comeback DVD, Habs vs Rangers, where Saku scores the winning goal with a deke for the ages. Did he win a cup for us? No. Is that his fault? No, because in the end hockey is a team game and our team has had a lot of problems.

Ovechkin and Kovalchuk haven’t won cups yet either, and they are the two best hockey players in the league.

You don’t have to like Koivu, but if you are going to make ridiculous statements like that you’re going to get called on it.

16. G-Man says:

The season is a marathon, not a sprint. Love that many of you have given up already.
    So, pull out your tank tops and wear them all winter. Finishing last solves nothing if the #1 available is another small forward like Nail.
    But go ahead, all JM and PG haters! Bash away! Your glasses are already half-empty anyways.

• LA Loyalist says:

Your missing a major part of the equation. No team has the luxury of going 2-6-2 in their first 10 in our division.

Look at New Jersey last year, who ran the freaking table after Lemaire got them straightened out and they still couldn’t do it.

That’s why the panic, unless you just want to throw up your hands and say it’s a learning year for our rookie coach and GM (with their 60 years of experience).

• Tony McLean says:

When does the season start? Add the 2-6 preseason to the ‘effort’ thus far and the hole is getting deeper. CH are probably a #8 team and the panic will be worse in January or February. Price has to live up to his hype NOW and start stealing games – like Miller and Fleury.
      —————————————————–

17. Mike D says:

*Disclaimer* – I’m not a supporter of the tanking philosophy At ALL. Furthermore, I don’t believe this organization would EVER purposely tank a whole season. Also, this post is not a shot at those who are supporters of the tanking philosophy. Just trying to point something out…

There is a bright side if this season were to continue as it has played out so far. For starters, we would enter the Yakupov sweepstakes and have a realistic shot at getting him. It would allow us to re-sign key pieces like Price, PK, Eller, and Gorges to more reasonable contracts and dollars. To a lesser extent, the same applies to AK46 (assuming he stays), Moen, Emelin, and Diaz.

I’ll be a fan no matter how this team does. The only thing that changes is the level of content I have within that fandom.

#EDIT – Also want to point out that if Gomez has another lousy season he will be gone either through trade or demotion. I don’t hate him nearly as much as others do on this site, but agree he needs to go. His cap hit can be put to MUCH better use. Spacek will also be off the books after this year so there’s another 3.8mil that can be utilized better.

– Honestly yours

• Bill J says:

It’s what I’ve been saying.

A few years ago I told Dave AKA HH… The Habs would never tank on purpose.

They should however let things as they are this year, and go with the tank system. Not on purpose mind you, just rolling with the punches tank. Don’t try and fix it by trading prospects!

• J_P says:

Honestly, I think I would be happier if we let the season run its course, keep letting the young D-corps make mistakes and grow together and miss the playoffs, than making some patch and band-aid trades to squeak into the playoffs in 8th, and get knocked out in the first round.

At least I would know that we have improved our chances moving towards the future.

• Bill J says:

Again pretty much what I’m saying.

Do not trade to improve! Ride this and get Nailed.

• Tony McLean says:

Fugg that, Sammy Pollack or Frank Selke would never tank. Go balls out on and off the ice. Win the freaking Stanley Cup. 19 years and counting. No more mediocrity.
            —————————————————–

• SeriousFan09 says:

Pollock also took advantage of a stream of GMs who didn’t understand the draft and could make Milbury look good. Selke was allowed to sign every kid in Quebec and half of Southern Ontario who could fire a puck into the net and hold their professional rights forever.

Times have changed. Sharpest GMs right now are Ray Shero and George McPhee, wheel and deal to improve their teams on a regular basis.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• J_P says:

Mcphee? too early to be putting Mcphee up there with the best GM’s. His team has constantly been a playoff disappointment.

Ray shero you are bang on about.

Ken Holland obviously is up there.

I really like David Poile. He doesnt have the budgets of Pittsburgh or DEtroit, but he still always ices a competitive team.

18. Propwash says:

First losing streak of the year, and everyone flies off the handle. I wonder what’s going to happen around here once the team bounces back……

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

Refer to your signature.

• J_P says:

I dont think its the losses, but more the way we are losing. Habs didnt show up tonight, thats just unacceptable considering their current standing.

Also, with the 3 point games, its much harder to make up points. You cant afford a poor showing through the first 20 games. Someone referenced below how New Jersey went on a RIDICULOUS tear (they won like 21 out of 23 at some point or something like that) at the end of last season and still couldnt get anywhere near the playoffs.

19. DEANDALLEY says:

Come tiptoe through the tulips with me …

Their coming to take me away HA HA HE HE

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

20. Habfan4lfe says:

I think the problem may go as far as the owners. I think they are just happy to see the $$$ at the end of the day. It’s not like people in Montreal will stop going to see the games you know. Gauthier and Martin have only compounded the problems and we are losing and not utilizing players. At the least we can only hope the Molson boys wake up and get rid of Gauthier and Martin. The 2 are buddies as it is, you really think Gauthier is going to be gung-ho to get rid of Martin? I’ll believe it when I see it.

• G-Man says:

Owners are investors. They are making money, so they are happy. Once the seats are not being sold, then thay will act. Until then, remember that hockey season is 82 games, not only 6.

• Tony McLean says:

No I don’t think the Molsons feel that way. I think they’re proud of their family’s history with le Canadien and view their ownership as stewardship of the most storied franchise very seriously. I am however terrified that Bob Gainey has their ear(s) and is the gray eminence behind the scenes warping their view of Gandhi Gauthier and Mohandas Martin. Then again Gainey did fire Carbonneau so maybe it’s time for that sang froid to reappear.
      —————————————————–
      Where is the next Beliveau? The next Ferguson? The next Rocket? The next Patrick Roy? The next Lafleur? The next SAM POLLOCK?

21. HabsFan1111 says:

I’m struggling to see why all the panic on here?!?

We’ve lost 5 of 6 and put together some pretty stinky performances, so what?!? Hockey is a ‘streaky’ game (not to mention, in recent years, we have been a VERY streaky team), I’m sure we had similar losing spells last year and the year before, no??? Just because it’s the beginning of the season people are calling for firings, demotions, trades, ownership changes, etc.?????

May I remind everyone that WE ARE 6 GAMES INTO THE SEASON!!! The leafs are near the top of the standings, does that mean they’re a favourite to win the Cup???

Everyone CHILL!!!

22. joe-hab-nuno says:

The worst thing to happen with JM in the helms is going to the SCSF

23. Goderichab says:

Without a major shake up, (at management/coach level,) I can not see the Habs doing anything other than what they are.
    Each loss, parade out a player with the mea culpas of what we’
    re doing wrong, let the media soak it up and hope the fans swallow it.

This is a business, (see Maple Laffs). Put a mediocre bunch together, do the right marketing, get the ole PR going to prop up the image and rake in the bucks!
    Is there any player (?) who seems to be making an honest effort.
    (Maybe Price as he is on the Hot seat every night!) Sure, they go along saying hey, it’s a long season, don’t burn yourself out. The suckers are in the stands no matter what , coast man, coast!

What is in the Head office, is not motivated my a desire to win but by the desire for profit. Who do you think is happy with the present team?
    Management!

Until there is a desire to change, all the musings here of our wannabe managers, is just that, musings.
    I have said it before and repeat it, JM is not the coach for a young team.
    He epitomises the laissez faire attitude that old pros acquire.

A young team needs a motivator, a hungrier coach out to prove he and his team can play…
    Sorry, but I love my Habs, but this year, I think I like the Als for passion, production and desire!

I remember the dynasties…

24. Ali says:

Difference between a pretender and contender? The contenders aggresively fix the weaknesses their teams exhibit, and are merciless about it. The pretenders don’t admit their weaknesses. Washington needed goaltending, defense, and grit. They went out and got all 3. Philly needed goaltending, they were willing to part with the core of their team and came out stronger, even if it meant overpaying for Bryzgalov. Boston’s Tim Thomas won the vezina, but Rask outplayed him two years ago and got the starting job. Thomas won it right back the year after. No entitlement. No comfort zones. Just results.

Montreal? Size an issue. We don’t think so. Defensive depth? Hammer can leave. Markov’s injury a concern? no, 3 year deal. We get pushed around night after night? We have faith in the refs to protect, despite all evidence to the contrary. Gomez an albatross both on the ice and financially? Lets keep giving him a chance.

When your leaders don’t have killers instinct, theres no reason for the players to have it.

25. joe-hab-nuno says:

The system is the matrix

26. WindsorHab-10 says:

May be this team just isn’t that good.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

27. DEANDALLEY says:

What’s the chances of waking up Sat morning & reading in here that JM & PG were fired?

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

28. Bill J says:

Gauthier’s replacement ?

29. ManApart says:

Was looking at the stat line. PK has been the worst player on the team so far. A horrible -6. He can’t handle being a #1 guy. Markov better come back soon. I told you guys how it wuld hurt losing Hammer. Everybody loved Gill and wanted to keep him instead. I stated Hammer was way the better defenseman. The geniuses on this site and in management thought otherwise. Good job boys.

The most important part is the told you so. After all anyone who opposed your views on this site must be held responsible for what the team did. Enjoy the losing of games, be proud Manapart.

• ManApart says:

Is anyone going to address the teams problems and management? Or are all you cowards going to just complain that I’ve brought it up again and ya, am honestly shoving it in your faces. Not very nice, but some of you really deserve it.

You are not responsable per say. It’s the goof brothers that hold the most responsability. You did support them the last few years, so indirectly should at least be held in the same negative light. This franchise has fallen so far from the glory days. Incompetent managers who have no clue about todays game. The younger generation of fans are also an embarrassment to the past. No knowledge about the game as well as pathetic whining that everyone is against them. Yes, things have really fallen far…..

• habsfan0 says:

PK Subban suffered an injury during the offseason which kept him out of most of the exhibition games. I suspect he hasn’t recovered fully as yet.

• Kooch7800 says:

PK is really young and is having the sophmore jinx but too be honest is playing way more minutes than he should be cause he is our 3rd most experience D in his second full year.

not too many teams could say that

• Mattyleg says:

“Good Job”
      Like we had something to do with something…?
      Because management checked HI/O for advice?
      You seem to have a bizarrely inflated sense of your own (and this site’s) importance and impact.

How much influence did you have on Gaddafi?
      …Just so I can give credit where it’s due…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 123456 says:

You are so right – Hammer was clearly the best dman the past five years and management has sucked. I’d prefer the days when Saku had Jan Bulis and Nik Sundstrom as his wingers…. all thos ebad season as we got so many high draft picks – THOSE WERE THE DAYS

• twilighthours says:

I’d actually prefer the 4.75 mil savings and Gill to Hamrlik, Mr “I told you so.” If the Habs had signed Hamrlik to the same ink that Washington did, you’d be on here complaining in April and all of the next season about how bad a signing it was.

• 123456 says:

Hey all, I was checking the stat line (for everyone not just the guy I want to call out) and Hammer has the worst plus minus on the Caps bar 2 superstars (Ovie and Backstrom).

30. AK_PK_Usay says:

Can people stop saying it was Gainey who picked up Price and PK, it was Trevor Timmins, if anything MAKE HIM GM!

Bring BACK CAPTAIN KIRK!!! BRING BACK CAPTAIN KIRK!!!

I would even be ok with Roy as assistant who will speak to the french media.

Ted Nolan as Head Coach, can’t find a GM in midseason so either have BG closely monitor decisions at GM level through the season or be interim, then next off season PG is replaced.

32. PrimeTime says:

Wow. I can’t believe I went from optimism to pessimism in a short couple of weeks. This team needs to do 180 in over the next 2 weeks. If I’m Molson I’m circling the calendar on the day after the BOS back to back games to review results. PG would be wise to have some answers ready if fortunes haven’t reversed. And by answers I don’t mean on how to fix this year. I’m wanting a longer strategy plan on how to transition this team from Gainey’s decisions. PG has made some poor decisions but so has every GM….it’s not a science. But he also has made some good moves. The organization doesn’t need to be blown up. We have some very solid pieces but the Gainey old parts need to be replaced. It can’t all be done immediately but through attrition of some contracts and decisions of who to tag as a “rental” to another team later in the year it shoudn’t take more than 2-3 years to have the new core of players leading this team. Fans will need to patient and I think they will if they see a 1 step back – 2 step forward approach.

• J_P says:

Habs are excellent business for the molsons. I havent seen anything from Geoff Molson that leads me to believe he actually cares about winning. Until he hires the best candidate available, as opposed to the best Francophone candidate available, I will not be convinced.

David Poile is a great GM out in Nashville. Im sure Poile would love to work for an organization who gives him the ok to spend to the cap. The habs have the advantage that we have cash to throw around that doesnt count against our cap. We have the means to hire the BEST possible front office staff out there, and to lure candidates from other teams. Yet they don’t do it.

That irks me.

33. Habitoban says:

I love Price and how quietly competitive he is. Last night he seemed to handle the puck a lot more trying desperately to make some offence happen. Goalies shouldn’t have to do that.

• DEANDALLEY says:

In Montreal they do.

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• 123456 says:

good point i was watching the pens network and they said a lot of nice things about the habs – especially price.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

I ALWAYS try to watch anything but CBC/RDS, one, because of cherry, the other because the team revolves around DD and according to RDS price needs to play 100.00 with 0.00 GGA AND score every now and then. Otherwise he’s not good enough.

Darche should be captain and DD jersey number should be raised to the banners as they’re certain he’s the 2nd coming of christ…

34. AK_PK_Usay says:

The one thing that stood out last night were the lines, or lack of lines, I NEVER SAW SO MANY DIFFERENT LINES!!

This is intensive line juggling even for JM standards.

Positive, Plexxx, Eller, DD are all fine centers, Gomez goes to hammilton (anger reaction) gomez plays wing or 4th line minutes until he wakes up, send him to hamilton at trade deadline IF someone good is available, unlikely… (reasonable reaction)

Our Junior D is struggling, SOOO? The fact that in all the other games we actually had a chance shows they’re all talented with potential, they just need experience.

Bcos of the likely lackluster team performance, BOTH PK and Price will NOT cost an arm and leg to resign, which is WORTH more than 1 round of playoffs.

So yeah, season is grim, shit happens, now we will see who is a true fan, because a true fan accepts his teams limitations AND CHEERS THEM ON.

I also agree with the firewagon hockey, i would take my chances on 6-5 games with price in net, than on 2-0 games with our inexperienced D. Weirdly enough, its Gorges that’s making big mistakes, be patient with him, guy is coming off surgery, and got the shit beaten out of him, cos we have 1 too many small players.

35. ManApart says:

I’ve been telling you guys how bad management was for 3 years. A lot of the regular posters argued with me up and down. Funny it was actually the non-regulars who know the most about hockey. Or they were the ones who could put their rose coloured glasses aside.

Now you are seeing the result of years of all those little mistakes, that have now added up to the point where the Habs are really in trouble. I hope you BG and PG enthusiasts are happy you got your way. I tried to warn you, you guys have buried the team.

• Jordio-oh says:

” I’ve been telling you guys”
      ” Alot of regular posters argued with me up and down”
      “I tried to warn you”

You used over 100 words to say nothing constructive.
      I’m curious what you enjoy more, hockey or these opportunistic ” I told you so” posts.

I’m actually not curious.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

He did not quote said posts. BUT

I do recall his dislike for management as far as I read this website. And yes, PG and JM have to go, and while we’re at it, set Gainey’s Jersey number on fire…

• ManApart says:

Can’t dispute the content of my post, so just attack the structure. Typical. Face it, you and a lot of others, have completely been wrong about this team for years and now have to face the music. Maybe when we fire management you regular posters should be fired as well. Those of us who have wanted better for this team, and who have valiantly tried to vocalise how we saw things were headed in the wrong direction, deserve better.

You BG and PG lovers deserve this embarrassment, not us.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m curious; you’ve been saying management sucks for the past three years. This would include the year we made the conference finals.

Oh, and poor “Valiant” you… you’re totally right, you TOTALLY deserve better. You really, really do.

Hey everyone!! ManApart deserves better!! And so do all the other people he’s lumped in with himself!!

Better!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ManApart says:

Yes, I had foresight enough to know that the conference finals was a total fluke powered by the brilliance of Halak and Cammy. The calibre of team they had should have been bounced by the Caps in the 1st round. A lot of you couldn’t see this. You were blinded by delusion, because of the result and could not recognise the content. The lack of size, balanced scoring and toughness. We were getting completely outplayed most of those games and 2 guys were stealing wins.

Delusional fans and incompetent GMs, not a great mixture. It’s going to be sad if things continue like this and Montreal misses the playoffs, with TO passing them in the standings.

• Mattyleg says:

Uhh, who’s ‘you’?
            As in “a lot of you couldn’t see this”?
            Everyone but The Prophet (ie ManApart)?
            You’re funny.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Jordio-oh says:

There is very little content of value. That’s my point. Guess what? Many people are unhappy with management and have been for a long time, but very few come on to rant like you do. Personally, I’m not pleased with management either, but you could never tell that because I’m not nearly as bombastic as you are.

Team starts off slow and here comes James Dean screaming “i told you so, i told you so.”

You offer very little in the way of actual analysis and statistical facts.

By your definition, 29 teams have terrible management each year because they don’t win the cup.

• ManApart says:

Nonsense, I’ve had many posts explaining and showing why and how bad managements decisions were. Many and for years. I have been so “bombastic” in my complaints because I knew so strongly that things were going the wrong way. It’s like I was desperate to have people know before it was too late. The bad cap decisions, horrible trades and personnel decisions.

What kind of analysis do you have? Nothing. You rarely even address the factors I am talking about, just bitch about my posts. You’re fired!

36. Nobody says:

Seriously? Martin took our injury depleted team to the Conference Final then game 7 OT against the Cup championslast spring. He is not the problem. There was no work ethic last night, but they were great vs Buffalo. They are a mid range team with the ability to excel at times. Get used to it.

37. DEANDALLEY says:

- Action is the antidote to despair.

– Probably the saddest thing you’ll ever see is a mosquito sucking on a mummy. Forget it, little friend.”

– Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be. ~Wayne Gretzky

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

38. LA Loyalist says:

1. Fire JM, the game has passed him by.
    Replace with Kirk Muller, Larry Robinson for the Defence.
    2. Fire PG. Don’t know who to replace him with, you guys may have some ideas.
    3. Send Gomez to Alaska, eat his salary, whatever, he’s untradeable. We need to send a message to the rest of the team that Habs are not a mail-it-in country club.

Most importantly, these guys can skate. Let them play fire wagon hockey and trust in our goalie, let’s win some games 5-3, 6-4 – hell at least it would be fun.

Watching a JM coached team play is like watching a chick flick in slow motion, sober.

I had little confidence in this season, but even I had no idea the wheels would come off this fast. I thought we would struggle all year around .500 and we had to be patient and wait for the kids.

Sad, sad, sad…

• AK_PK_Usay says:

pretty much it, gomez needs to be sent to juniors.

as i said in preseason to everyone who kept trashing AK, so far he’s 10x better than cole even on his days off, and cheaper.

some fans need to start appreciating the good on this team and see what is really wrong…

• swannyboy says:

totally agree LA Loyalist,Jm has to go.When you got players saying he doesn”t even talk to them,time for a change.They don”t want to play for him

• Jordio-oh says:

“Replace with Kirk Muller, Larry Robinson for the Defence”

This will never happen and I shouldn’t have to explain why.

” Fire PG. Don’t know who to replace him with, you guys may have some ideas.”

This is one of the least helpful suggestions you’ve made on here.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, I don’t presume to be qualified in areas where I’m not. And I actually think PG has done a good job without wasting money. The problem is more with coaching, I think.

And I can’t comment on other GMS. I don’t follow the whole league, even casually, just Habs, Ducks and what I hear under the radar about Kings because I know people and my kid is in their system.

Honestly I’m sick of the French requirement. You’d think the accomplishments of Muller and Robinson would be beyond adequate.

And we had Boucher sitting there. Does he need to learn more in the NHL? Sure. He got further than JM in his first year.

It comes down to one thing, as always. Is it more important to win, or to sell beer? And if Molsons just want to sell beer and keep the seats full we are no different than the Teachers Pension Fund that owns the Leafs. And that would be the saddest thing of all.

I guess we’re going to find out.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Gauthier’s been drafting and acquiring players to fill in the complaints, bigger players, tougher players and leaders. His only real mistake on player personnel handling was SK going for nothing. Arguably Halpern should have gotten a new deal but that’s about it in his tenure.

I don’t miss O’Byrne, who only looked good next to Markov, I will never miss Guimauve either (Imagine if his name had been Grigori Larionov). People wouldn’t stop complaining Hamrlik was old and wore out at the end of the year and the D needed to be younger. He makes the changes to build towards a younger blue line and now he is roasted for it.

You add up the 6′ + players in his tenure (not even 2 years old) and they notably dominate over the smaller players he has taken. To date, he’s never used more than a 4th-round pick to take a player under 6′. I will be taking a more complete examination of his record by the 2012 draft (I don’t see him losing his job) and coming to my own conclusion about how he is directing the team’s future. If he fails to go for the offensive talent that can make a difference, I will probably be against him going forward.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

39. shiram says:

No credits for this to me, was posted on HFboards, but it can help understand the Habs situation.
    This is the # of games played by the 6 most regular D’s of NHL teams.
    Philadelphia : 3841
    Columbus : 1526
    Montréal : 1522
    Colorado : 1492
    Nashville : 1343
    St Louis : 1262
    Rangers : 1212

And as well all know, Gill accounts for a thousand of those games.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

WOW!

Thanks for posting, quite revealing.

• Chuck says:

I’ve just looked up, and yes indeed, the sky is still up there.

• J_P says:

Doesnt really prove anything. The 4 teams below us have all showed that they are capable of playing defense. Frankly, outside of the colorado game, our defense hasnt been that bad.
      Its the offense who’s really not pulling their weight.

St Louis is only terrible because halak is actually the worst goalie this year. I think last night was the first time this season St Louis allowed more than 25 shots.

EDIT: I will agree that it is a telling statistic, but in my post below I explained why I believe its a moot point.

• Bill J says:

Take Gill’s 1000 games out and look what happens. I think you missed the point being made.

• RGM says:

A further 370 of those games belong to Josh Gorges. So after those two….yikes.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• J_P says:

Ok fine, I see the point, but the point is moot. How is defense our problem?

You cant win hockey games if you dont score. Weve lost one barn-burner 6-5. Our other losses are 2-0, 4-1, 2-1, and 3-1.

I fail to see how defense it the excuse everyone is putting up. Our defense generated more shots than our offense last night.

You win games by outscoring the opposition. Point finale. Until we start losing games 4-3, 5-3, etc… Im not pointing the finger at the defense or the goaltending.

• shiram says:

I don’t know, maybe the guys we have at D are not all that great at creating offence, Subban is too excited, Gill can’t score or skate, Gorges can’t shoot. The others are not used to playing with the big boys, or the rink.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Really?

Dude, take off Gill’s 1000 games and you got 5 dman with 500 games, not to forget that webber’s games as forward are also counted.

To say it bluntly, our whole D is juniors.

Last night price stole 4-5 goals, and it wasn’t enough…

• twilighthours says:

That is an awesome stat. I relevant and useful stat.

I think we all felt this year would be rough on the D to start – that’s what you get when you jettison some vets and bring in some youth. I still think – as ugly ugly as this season has been – that we will be better off come year-end giving Hamr, Wiz, Spacek’s minutes to Diaz,Weber,Emelin.

But it might be really painful for a while yet.

40. sampson12 says:

That did make me feel worse. I’d rather have Higgins playing on the bottom two lines and McDonagh on the point than have Gomez on our team. Plus with all the cap space, who knows what else we could have got. The only way I can justify that trade in my head is by saying that Gomez helped us get Gionta and Cammalleri.

• J_P says:

“The only way I can justify that trade in my head is by saying that Gomez helped us get Gionta and Cammalleri”

and I will continue to not accept this statement because Cammy has $30 million reasons to come here and Gionta has $25 million reasons to come here. Neither player would have gotten anywhere near those figures from other teams.

• shiram says:

Cammy also said a big reason for him to choose MTL was the PP and it’s quarterback, Andrei Markov.
        Let’s stop giving Gomez this undue credit.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

I heard it was the Poutine, so what do we choose to believe?

• shiram says:

Man if health freak Cammy came here for poutine, well just no.
            Last year on the “nos canadiens” show on Gionta the hostess tried to get Gionta to eat poutine and hot dogs.
            I think he ate one fry.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

41. hoffska says:

We all know who was really pulling the strings and making this team work the last few years.
    All together now…… We want KIRK MULLER MULLER MULLER MULLER MULLER MULLER MULLER!
    The guy is a true leader and motivator and the players on this team will believe in and play for him no question.
    Get it done PG before its too late!

• Say Ash says:

Totally agree. But if you don’t mind, please repost maintenant en francais s’il vous plait…

• Mattyleg says:

I disagree.
      I think he seemed like a good assistant coach, but saying that it was really him pulling the strings is based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever.
      Just saying that it was he who was talking behind the bench, and it was he who was talking during time-outs doesn’t hold water, because that’s an assistant’s job, not the coach’s. Much like on a ship, the First Mate or Midshipman is the one getting the sailors working while the Captain looks at the whole ship and the entire situation.

Look at Carbo. When he was assistant coach, he was doing the same motivational, back-thumping thing Kirk was doing. When he became coach, however, he became known as a poor communicator. How he acted as assistant had no bearing on how he acted as a coach.

Let Kirk get some actual coaching experience under his belt, then we’ll take a look at him.

No more rookie coaches, thank you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Excellent analogy with the Captain First Mate.

Loved Muller still do, but making him Head Coach will not do him or the team any favours.

Not to say he shouldn’t one day be the Captain of our good ship.

• hoffska says:

I think Kirk would bring in a change in style of play from what we currently have. JM trap trap trap trap. Down a goal and still trap trap trap trap. Also, the reason the power play is not so powerful is because its WAY to predictable. Its either a setup for the one timer at the point or right side downlow cross feed play. Teams are just rushing the point and closing off guys on the right side and that = non existant power play for us!

42. caladin says:

Diaz is not a TT pick, he’s a PG free agency signing.

43. Feraco says:

When its all said and done, I have liked what Gauthier, Gainey, Martin, Boivin WHOEVER have done. If we think back to the Kovalev, Koivu season, things were crashing down. Out with the old and in with the new. They brought in a new core. A core – Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, Gill and Moen. Price was to be the #1 and insulated him with a defensive system. All those moves paid off. (Halak was the benefactor but thats another post)

It will be a long time before that many free agents hit the open market again. So we kinda lucked out with the last 2 years.

So what do we do now? Really, there is not much to do. They chose youth on the back end. One way or another Diaz, Emelin and Weber were going to get a chance to play this year. Because of the actions the Habs have taken, they must go with their decisions. These may be growing pains, this may be the beginning of the end. Whatever it is I believe we have to let it sail its course. If its going down, let it sink. We gave them a chance to succeed now lets give them a chance to fail. Sounds wierd to say but let them crash THEN ship out Gomez and Martin.

Molson Ex mon ami

• Ehabs9 says:

At what point do you call it a crash? I realize it’s too early now, but many feel that if we don’t come up with more than 1 win over the next 5 games (which in my eyes is doubtful at this point) Martin should be fired, and I tend to agree.

• lavie says:

Kovalev era was not bad either which put Habs on the top of Eastern Conference. Remember the line of AK27-Pleky-AK46?

44. lavie says:

I have mentioned it many times and I say it again here: Muller made JM look good!

45. lavie says:

I have been waiting for breaking news for JM, waiting, waiting……

46. Jdub1985 says:

If PG and or JM is fired what is the % of a french rehiring?

47. naweed235 says:

Anyway in hell we can bring Muller back? or did he sign a contract he cannot get out of…

48. Wops says:

As much as I don’t agree completely with Jacques’ methods (especially Enqvist in the last 2 min), people have to stay objective nevertheless…

Since he is here, we haven’t miss the playoffs once. As a matter of fact, since he’s in MTL, we are pretty competitive in the playoffs.

The problem is mostly related to the team he has at hand. Can you please name a NHL team that has a worst D-core than MTL?

Subban is still a rookie and we put all the pressure on him, add to that 3 other rookies…. I mean… come on. You can’t win in the NHL with your number 2 guy being gorges and Gill being number 3. There were great when they were 5-6, were they belong.

The analysis by Gauthier was messed up. That’s were the real problems come from. He overrated Diaz and Emelin’s contributions. We can’t score cuz we are bottled up in our zone, and the passing from the D is not sharp.

Gauthier risked his job by signing Markov and Cole.

my 2 cents.

• BJ says:

I agree with your post re. Gauthier. I do think one of our better D’s had been Diaz. He’s not overwhelming but reasonably steady and still improving.

• Wops says:

Agreed, I like Diaz’s game.

But part of the problem is that our D is very green.

Markov – Diaz
        Gill – Subban
        Campoli – Gorges

would look better I agree. But injuries are part of the season and we have 0 depth.

• Jordio-oh says:

I’m not sure if your question was rhetorical or not, but I think one could put up a solid argument that Tampa, Ottawa, Columbus, Colorado and Minnesota are all currently in possession of a worse top 6 than Montreal.

Still, I understand and agree (especially the poor passing) with your points.

• LA Loyalist says:

competitive in playoffs? We were up 2 games on Boston and choked AT HOME.

That is the team not being prepared for Boston to come back hard.

That is the coach. That is Le Systeme.

Not good enough for Montreal Canadiens, amigo-san.

49. BJ says:

OK time for a few questions. Assuming that we cannot come out of this funk soon, what do we need to do:
    1) Do we get rid of our GM and who do we replace him with?
    2) Do we get rid of of our coach and who do we replace him with?
    3) Trades or demotions. Who would help the team in return?

• Bill J says:

1, and let JM tank the team.

Demote all prospects that can be demoted.

• howtathor says:

1) Yes and replace him with Patrick Roy.
      2) There are a lot of good young coaches like Martin Raymond, but my choice would be Captain Kirk with a translator. Heck bring back Carbo! Anything would be better than JM.
      3) Gomez should be demoted. Our top three centres should be Pleks, Eller and DD. We should be able to pick up a centre to replace Enquist. Bring back Metropolit from Switzerland!

50. Chris Higgins says:

Are you guys sure about the date? You sure this is not the Habs’ centennial season?

51. Chris Higgins says:

Oh, I guess we misheard Martin. He actually said the Habs were gonna be a “suck” possession team!

52. HabFanSince72 says:

I asked this late last night.

It seems clear that the most competent member of upper management is Trevor Timmins. His draft selections from late picks have been consistently good. Not his fault the team has failed at developing/keeping them.

Think of players like Pacioretty and Subban, Halak, Streit, and now Diaz.

So is he just a really good scout or could he be GM?

53. Chris Higgins says:

So, how close are the Habs to gellin’?

54. Rudy says:

Are we still paying Carbonneau? If so, JM isn’t getting canned with another year om his contract, Molson won’t pay for 3 head coaches.

55. Mattyleg says:

Okay.
    (deep breath in, low whistle out)
    Some of you may know me as being part of the ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ brigade. It’ll all come together. Things need time to click.
    Up until now, I haven’t seen too much to get my knickers in a knot over, I’ve seen slow, steady progress, and I’ve been more or less satisfied with that.

Last night changed things for me.

I don’t think panic is necessary (as fun as it may be -all that screaming and arm-waving is great cardio work) but we’re getting close to crunch-time where serious questions need to be raised.

I had suspected that trading Roman Hamrlik was an unwise decision, now I’m convinced of it. I don’t think anyone’s an idiot, but I don’t think that we made the best choice there. Our D has more holes in it than the logic of an average HI/O poster. Building a strong, reliable defence gives the offense something to work from. That needs to be dealt with. Look at TO. Burke (hork, spit) finally managed to bang together a decent d-line that gives his limited offense more opportunitites.

Anyway, I’m not going to prate on about individual issues, but I think that the clock is winding down, and the bell is about to start tolling for the management if they don’t get something going.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Stop! Hamr time!
      Miss that guy so much, yea he was tired by the end of season, but at least he was not looking tired at the start of the season.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• J_P says:

I have to disagree about Hamrlik. One thing I definitely will not criticize is our defense. We have a very young defense corps, and they are getting better every game. The onus right now is on offense, and our offensive leaders to produce.

I believe they showed after the second period that our defense was outshooting our offense 3-1. That doesn’t even make sense, especially when the habs arent exactly a team who establishes net presence to cash on those shots from the point.

Im tired of the habs bringing in patch and band-aid solutions on defense at the expense of experience for our young defensemen. Diaz, Weber and emelin will definitely get better as the season goes on, as long as JM keeps showing them confidence.

Everyone is all Giddy over Hamrlik all of a sudden, but don’t forget, he’s playing in his proper role on a very good team. If Hamr was here, we would be overplaying him yet again, and who knows if he would be playing as well, or if he would make any difference at all.

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm, I’m not even looking at Hamrlik’s performance with Washington. To be honest, I don’t even know how he’s doing.
        But I see lots of holes right now, is all.
        You’ve brought up a good point, though, in that we need more offense from the offense and more defense from the defense, and not the other way around!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

JT has just asked the question that no one wants to hear.

57. habbernack says:

Were there computers when JM started coaching??

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

58. ed lopaz says:

when an offence is struggling in hockey there are a few options

1) shoot more and attack the net for rebounds, loose pucks, blue paint garbage goals – go to the net

2) engage a defenceman in your offensive rush – allow an offensive type defenceman to beat his man (the opponents forward) up the ice and contribute to the rush

3) be more effective on the power play

this team needs to start doing ALL OF THE ABOVE, starting immediately Saturday night, against a Leafs team that is a playoff bubble team at best.

score some goals in the first period by executing on these hockey basics,

and we will beat the Leafs.

Once we beat the Leafs we should be able to handle Florida, and that could get us on a little run of sorts.

I would like Martin removed as coach, but even a new coach would
    insist on the basics I have outlined above.

Ed, one has to wonder what is JM’s primary concern from last night’s game, the Fact we gave up 3 goals or the fact we scored only 1 goal at garbage time. I fear we know the answer, more defence.

• ed lopaz says:

even Martin knows we need to generate more offence.

I know he mentioned driving the net the other day and yesterday I saw Max, Eller, Gionta, go right to the net with the puck.

They were ALONE on the play however.

Once one guy with the puck drives to the net, a second forward must follow immediately to look for the loose puck that this could cause.

Of course, they know all of this – backwards and forwards.

They need to execute on it however.

We have very good forwards – there is a lot of talent there.

I am still hopeful

• J_P says:

Im actually starting to wonder if Martin even knows what offense is, or that the team that wins a hockey game is the team that scores more goals.

Is defense important? Absolutely. At the end of the day though, you have to score goals to win, and the habs offense is downright pathetic.

It also starts with our abysmal faceoff percentages. Why cant the organization hire Yannick Perreault to come in as a faceoff coach? Sometimes, all you need to be better at faceoffs is good coaching and practice. Crosby sucked at faceoffs, but he spent a summer working on faceoffs because he knew how important faceoffs wins are for puck posession.

Breakouts, puck posession, faceoffs, and shooting should be the focus of practice.

Too many blind passes, too many stretch passes, too many dump-ins without players moving through the neutral zone with speed to retrieve the puck… The offense really isnt doing anything right. Even against Buffalo, sure we had a lot of shots, but they were shooting right at the crest of, arguably, the best goaltender in the NHL who will stop those all day long.

Lets not even get started on the PP….

59. WindsorHab-10 says:

Gionta said “Scott’s a big part of our team”. That’s the team’s problem right there.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

60. HNS says:

Habs management needs to be terminated like a turd in the toilet. Me thinks count chocula lost the room…..

61. habbernack says:

Gainey is part of the problem

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

62. habbernack says:

Why is it that your replies never come under the post you’re replying to??

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

63. WindsorHab-10 says:

Pink slip management & coaching staff. Do it now.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

64. punkster says:

Courage.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

65. J_P says:

Who in their right mind would state that both teams are injury riddled? We’re missing Markov, who doesnt even count because he hasnt played for us for two years, and gomez only got injured during the game yesterday (which I find is more of a blessing really). Pittsburgh was missing their THREE BEST players, while all of our best players were on the ice.

Fact of the matter is the habs were not prepared to play yesterday. Considering their record, that is completely unacceptable. How do you lose a game you should have won against buffalo on tuesday, only to come back with an absolute stinker the next game?

I don’t understand how Bob Mckenzie was trying to take the blame away from Martin on TSN 990 this morning. Dan Bylsma (whos probably the best coach in the NHL) gets the most out of his team no matter who he is missing, where JM can’t seem to get the most out of his players with a full roster. I find it even more ridiculous that Mckenzie said that it starts with good goaltending after a game where the habs once again failed to produce offensively. Its not even like Carey spotted them an early 3-4 goal lead.

It’s still early in the season, and definitely not time to panic just yet, but these squandered early season points can easily come back to haunt us later on.

That was a completely despicable display last night.

Correction: we’re missing campoli who got injured before the season ever really started, and Spacek who i definitely do not consider to be a KEY loss. That is why I forgot about both players when downplaying our injuries, because they arent worth noticing to begin with.

Bob Mackenzie has made a career out of always taking the side of Mgmt and the Corp. NHL head office when making statements.

He is like the politician whose only interest is re-election. Mackenzie’s entire existence at TSN is based on his relationships with various NHL Teams at the GM/Coach level, along with his close ties to NHL Head office.

He will always come down on the players first. Once it is painfully obvious that someone at Coaching or GM level is about to be fired then he pontificates about how it is time for change.

Other than that I really find him insightful on which Tim Horton’s has the freshest donuts.

66. avatar_58 says:

I hate to be like this but I don’t even care about tomorrows game. Call me when they care and I’ll care too

• Bill J says:

I care about the Habs losing now, weird I know. But tankfest 2012 is more valuable to us as fans then a miracle Devils/Leafs revival.

• J_P says:

What a joke for Gill to say that the loss wasn’t do to a lack of effort. Obviously they suited up and went out on the ice, but they definitely didnt put in real effort.

• Bill J says:

I’m quite certain Gill came to play, as did CP… Others ? I agree with you.

• avatar_58 says:

Seeing Gionta on what should be the 4th line speaks volumes for this team’s issues. The captain. Out there with grinders.

The ship has a lot more than just a leak…

• J_P says:

Well it doesnt help when your coach, who never looks like hes in a panic, is panicking like crazy. Hes used so many line combinations my head is spinning.

Players need to be shown confidence and stability IMO. Players need some time to gel, not be changed up every two seconds.

67. habbernack says:

Mr. Molson has to get rid of the 3 stooges aka the three amigos

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

• Bill J says:

Gainey is not going anywhere. Bet on that!

The Senaturd rejects ? Yeah they will go… Let’s hope PG goes ASAP… Interim replacement by BG with strict Yakupov rules in place. Leave JM to keep the “Yakupov system” in place. And next summer, hire Muller as the HC.

• Thurston says:

Gainey may leave on his own if his cronies get pushed out the door.

• Bill J says:

Gainey has the CH on his heart, the other two do not.

Gainey is not going anywhere.

• Thurston says:

Didn’t Gainey leave Dallas partially because management wanted him to fire Hitchcock?

• Bill J says:

Thurston, Gainey is not a GM in Montreal. He is more like a vice-president and is very close to the Molson family. He isn’t going anywhere. Not the same scenario as Dallas.

The only similarity lies in the Carbo firing. But Gainey stuck around after that. As I said, not quite the same situation as in Dallas.

68. Chris F says:

Yes, that was painful to watch. I can’t remember a game the Habs looked as bad. They better get it together before Saturday night, or there will be real mourning. I think I’ll puke if the leafs win that one with Burke’s fat head in the stands being plastered all over the screen by the CBC.
    It really looked like we had zero talent last night. I found myself almost hoping changes would be made, but it’s too soon I guess. I have no faith in PG right now, zero. The Wiz trade was the only one where he seemed to score, and he gave up a good pick for that one. But in hindsight, the Wiz was probably as much reason as anyone last year for our team staying in the hunt.
    Will Gionta score 29 this year? Will Gomez do anything points wise that prevents the team from sending him to Hamilton next year? What could we pick up for 7 million in the off season?
    Would Darche be on any other team in the league? Maybe.
    Our D looked completely out of wack, it was ugly. Cole looks lost and dis-spirited.
    DD is now our second line center? He’s good but c’mon, that’s not getting it done. He’s simply not strong enough in the corners, but I will agree he’s better than Gomez who continues to turn the puck over at his own blue line with his reluctance to drive to the net.
    Did anyone go to the net last night? Who can shoot from the point besides PK, and who can hit the net? Last night, nobody.
    PG must be squirming.
    What the hell is up with Markov? Adam Pardy and Souray for a couple Million looks pretty good right now eh? It’s just an example.
    JM has his work cut out for him to change this mindset, this team hasn’t looked so bad since the western swing two years ago.

69. Bill J says:

Where the hell is Dave (HH), the tank movement is growing and he’s not here to drive the bandwagon.

70. Habfan29 says:

When you pull the goalie and are trying to score why is Moen and Gorges on the ice???? JM please explain this to me????????

The Yakupov system.

• Ian Cobb says:

He can’t even figure out why he got up this morning.

• Danno says:

The System© explained:

\begin{eqnarray} \hspace*{-1pc}\tilde{b}_x &=& \int _{\tau _0}^{\tau } dt \frac{f_x(t)(g^2+t^2)}{\mathcal {A}} e^{G(t,\tau)}\nonumber\\ \hspace*{-1pc}&& \times \left[\frac{\mathcal {R}}{g^2+\tau ^2} + i \gamma \lbrace T(\tau) - T(t) \rbrace - \mathcal {R}\xi (\tau -t) \right] \;, \end{eqnarray}
      \begin{eqnarray} \tilde{b}_z &=& \int _{\tau _0}^{\tau } dt \frac{f_z(t)}{\mathcal {A}} e^{G(t,\tau)} \left[\mathcal {R}(1-\xi \lbrace Q(\tau)-Q(t)\rbrace) + i \gamma (\tau - t) \right] \nonumber\\ && – \beta \int _{\tau _0}^{\tau } dt \frac{f_x(t)(g^2+t^2)}{\mathcal {A}} e^{G(t,\tau)} \left[\mathcal {R}\lbrace I(t,\tau)- \xi J_2\rbrace + i \gamma J_1 \right] \;.\nonumber \end{eqnarray}
      Here,
      \begin{eqnarray} G(t,\tau) &=& -\xi \lbrace Q(\tau)-Q(t)\rbrace \;, \qquad Q(x)=g^2 x + x^3/3,\nonumber\\ \end{eqnarray}\vspace*{-18pt}
      \begin{eqnarray} I(t,\tau) &=& \frac{1}{2g^2} \left[\frac{\tau }{g^2+\tau ^2} - \frac{t}{g^2+t^2} + T(\tau) - T(t) \right] \;, \qquad \nonumber\\ J_1 &=& \int _t^{\tau } I(t,x) \, dx \;, \; \mbox{and} \; J_2 = \int _t^{\tau } I(t,x) (g^2+x^2) \, dx \;,\nonumber \end{eqnarray}
      where $T(x) = \arctan (x/g) / g$. $\tilde{b}_y$ can be obtained using incompressibility: $\tilde{b}_y = – \tau \tilde{b}_x – \beta \tilde{b}_z$

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Bill J says:

Well, that makes perfect sense. No wonder he runs the system, it’s foolproof (to get Yakupov that is)

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

How can you blame Gomez for not understanding that? No wonder Darche excels for the Habs, we need more players with Cdn. University Degrees.

71. HabsFansince49 says:

My lovely wife works for one of the top 50 companies in Canada (Employees Choice). I wonder if the NHL did a survey (out sourced) of its players, where would the Habs employees stand in their estimation of management?

72. Chris Higgins says:

You think last night was bad? Wait until tomorrow! The Leafs are gonna turn the Habs into the Maroons!

73. HabsFansince49 says:

I believe chemistry or the lack of it is the greatest issue confronting the Habs. I still don’t believe we can individually match the likes of Boston, Washington and Penguins (even with their top 4 missing), but we could at least be respectable and compete with the Leafs. Last night in particular and with few exceptions since the Canadiens hit the ice in pre-season, the team looked like a group of tyros not knowing what to do next. The buck stops upstairs and for whatever reason the team is not responding to JM and PG. They remind me of my computer when I get the “not responding” message as the little round icon spins around and around…doing nothing.
    I often wonder why Gainey hired Martin. Whatever, he used the same logic as in his hiring of Gomez. It was the same rationale I guess as Gauthier used in hiring Cole. State of the art management.

• savethepuck says:

” but we could at least be respectable and compete with the Leafs”
      If the bar is going to be set that low for this team, then it’s time for me to cancel my RDS subscription and find something better to do 3 or 4 nights a week.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• HabsFansince49 says:

I have to agree with you. I also have an RDS HD subscription. But I’m being realistic, although perhaps sarcastic as well. It’s simply frustrating. I have no confidence in how this org. is run.

74. Captain aHab says:

Marinaro off his rockers: he says a combo that could be brought in is Pierre McGuire as GM and Roy as HC. Please shoot me now.