The mourning after

5583597

Wanna feel even worse?

“We’re not doing things the right way” and other profundities from the room

Pat Hickey’s game story

Hal Gill honoured in Pittsburgh

• Stu Hackel on Gill

Pierre Ladouceur’s game grades

Randy Phillips on Martin Raymond

1. 123456 says:

If I had to point to one – and only one – issue with the Habs it would be a recurring issue . . . They can not score.

While the habs defense is missing 3 regulars, the subs have not been horrible (assuming PK is not a sub here).

IF Cole or DD score on their brilliant scoring chances in teh first the Habs are up 2-0. I would expect one of those to go in. Cole shot in MAF’s chest and DD actually had a nice shot on his SH breakaway but MAF made a nice save.

Sour grapes points toward Pens third goal and I still believe it was a highstick.

In summary – the Habs need goals more than anything else.

2. pg says:

Sorry for the non-sequitur, but I saw your HIO iPhones app… is there one coming for Android?

3. Danno says:

POLL

Q: If you had a choice to see a Canadiens game live against another Original Six team at the Bell Centre, which one would you choose?

* Toronto Maple Leafs
    * Boston Bruins
    * New York Rangers
    * Detroit Red Wings
    * Chicago Blackhawks

It’s a damn good thing HIO didn’t put “none of the above” as a choice after last night’s sorry spectacle.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

4. DEANDALLEY says:

Tonight in thier sleep JM & PG will be faced with the “Ghosts of Habs past” similar to the Christmas Carol.

They will both wake up changed men Saturday morning & repent for what they have done to our HABS ….

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

5. DearyLeary says:

With Markov’s future uncertain Gauthier wanted to ensure there was a Russian star to make sure Emelin was comfortable. Therefore he’s instructed the team to tank so they can draft Nail Yakupov.

Pretty sure this is airtight reasoning, and nobody can refute this.

• Bill J says:

IF Gauthier was smart enough for this, he’d be exec of the year in my eyes. Sadly, he ain’t… And he likely will not be the GM to draft Yakupov.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

6. Ron in Ottawa says:

Can anyone remember how many games it took before Demers was canned; Tremblay; Geoffrion? All we can hope for is that a solid string of losses will wake the Molsons up. And when they do, hopefully they will start at the top and let PG and JM go. Also, wouldn’t it be gutsy to say to francophone fans: we belive you want a winner more than you want only francophones as GM and coach?

7. Bill J says:

I say keep JM, and all decisions made by PG must be approved by Molson. Tankfest 2012! Nail Yakupov here we come!

Next summer hire Muller as HC, and find a suitable GM…

Fixing this team (now) will only mean no Nail, and no Cup.

Edit: actually, fire PG right now! Molson can assign BG the GM duties, with strict direction “do not corrupt the future”. IE keep all prospects in Hamilton this year!

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

Question for our coaches:
    Who suffers most from the contact when on the ice? The cream puff player being contacted or the fore checking player making contact?

He needs to look no further than our sick bay over the past years, to find out the answer. And also of what type of team he has chosen to be his professional product on the ice.

9. Jordio-oh says:

The Canadiens are terrible at Face-offs. Last night, Plekanec was 10-12. Desharnais was 6-11. Engqvist was 3-7 and Larry was 2-6.

We lost 39-25. On fourteen more occasions Pitt started with possession against a Habs team that looked uninterested in getting the puck back.

Right now we’re currently 25th in the league with a team percentage of 47.7%. I’m not sure how much longer I can watch us lose key draws on the power play or our end which is followed by 3 minutes of opposition pressure.

Philly, Detroit and Anaheim are all worse than the Habs at face-offs but I bet they have an easier time forcing turnovers and gaining possession than Montreal does.

10. habsfan_61 says:

im getting a 94-95/95-96 season vibe for this team.ones that didnt make the playoffs(94-95) and ones that made panic moves that set the team development back a few yrs.(95-96). the team seems to be passengers so far, no effort/intesity. something is amiss big time for our habs and if not corrected soon this team will fall off the rails. they cant fire jm because i dont think molson wants to pay another ex-coach for doing nothing. im not doing a chicken little yet but im getting close and am getting fed up with watching this team just not getting it done. will never abandon the team(that wouldnt make me much of a fan then would it?). just not liking what im seeing so far(frustrated as hell).

11. joshua94k says:

If Scott Gomez’s injury is long term, will that mean our top two lines will be better. Gionta fired a bullet and scored last night. He is fast and can score a lot more. If he is without Gomez, won’t his game improve. With Cammalleri, Gionta, Cole, Kostitsyn, Paccioretty, Plekanec, we have great forwards who can be dominating when they are playing their best.

Moen has improved his game. Eller is coming along. Desharnais and Darche are always reliable work horses.

Last season the team struggled because whoever Gomez played with, that line struggled (except Paccioretty).

I think without Gomez, this team will perform better. The defense is getting better and we still have the best in Carey Price.

No Gomez = Hot Habs

The future looks bright.

12. Captain aHab says:

How about we juggle the front office?

Have Rynbend as HC, JM as waterboy and Gauthier as goalie coach? Then switch them after two shifts. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the season. And make sure that every time we need to plan a set play for a goal, the guy holding the whiteboard is a francophone.

If it were not for Price last night. Martin would be gone this morning.

I say put Budajs between the pipes tomorrow night, and we get Bob Gainey behind the bench next week. Until we can come up with the right coach’s for this club.

14. nick says:

You know what seems to be a re-occuring trend year after year…
    Montreal’s inability to score goals.

Sure you can blame the D, or goaltending or whatever you want…
    But the fact is, you aren’t going to win games when you don’t score goals.

15. davecessna says:

I can’t find the link anywhere, but I read an interesting take from someone involved with the anti-corporate greed movement who must also be a Habs fan: arguably, most season tickets, boxes, and revenue to the team comes from corporations. You are starting to see a different form of dissatisfaction with pro sports; what gives players paid over 100 times more than the average working person the right to show any form of complacence or immoral behavior?

My take on that is pro sports has been molded as such by large corporations. It takes someone of incredible fortitude to withstand the personal change brought on by vast amounts of wealth. There are still glimmers of true pure passion, but my fear is that they will be completely gone by the time the next generation comes in. In a nutshell, whether a team plays poorly or well is irrelevant; it’s the complete lack of responsibility and superiority complex these players show.

I hope future generations will forgive our inaction.

/rambling :)

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Most pro sports teams either ARE corporations, including the Leafs and Blue Jays or are run by someone who owns a corporation.
      Occupy Yonge St.! ;)

“Industry Description
      The US professional sports teams industry includes about 1,500 organizations with combined annual revenue of about $30 billion. The dominant professional sports leagues in the US are the National Football League (NFL), the National Basketball Association (NBA), Major League Baseball (MLB), and the National Hockey League (NHL). Other leagues include the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA), Major League Soccer (MLS), and the American Hockey League (AHL). The industry is concentrated: the top 50 organizations generate about 60 percent of revenue.”

16. HabsPEI31 says:

My two cents:

The continuous line changes have to stop. It’s like JM has a six dice in his hand, and makes up his line combinations accordingly… *shake shake shake*… hmm… 5 – 2 – 6 – 7 – 6 – 1. Darche, Pac and Diaz, get out there. IN THAT ORDER!!

(ignore the fact I put a seven in there, for a minute. Special dice, yeah)

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• arcosenate says:

It’s funny that the message is to play the game plan no matter what, whether they win or lose, just stick with it but JM breaks the lines up after two shifts.

Last night I had to turn the thing off because I really couldn’t understand some of the personnel decisions being made. I mean, I like Darche, but he has no business on the PP.

But I do think JM’s job is in danger, that was not a team that looked like they were on the same page as the coach last night, so he better get this rig turned around asap.

• stevieray says:

and take Pearn with him . We need some ” fire” behind the bench ..at least that would make the games somewhat entertaining…… . Darche on the PP….solid team guy ..BUT…PP guy ..I don’t think so .

Yahtzee!

Perhaps once the entire HIO staff has completed tabulating every statistic of every former Hab that has ever played a shift on another team, we could get some injury updates, if unavailable then say so.

However, this is probably a festive day for the HIO ownership as hits will be a coming.

I do also give credit to a poll question not designed to denigrate the very product that employs them.

• shiram says:

I ma very surprised at the results of said poll, I thought more people would be interested in seeing the Wings.
      Personnally I would rather see the Wings, or Hawk before Bruins/Leafs.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

18. adamkennelly says:

how bout this- crappy pre-season – followed by 4.5 crappy games starting the season- caused by too many bad players in the line-up because of injuries and lack of NHL depth – add in the loss of your special team’s coach – equals 3 out of a possible 12 points and a massive hole, with shovel in hand.

19. LA Loyalist says:

…Ian said it all.

If we think it isn’t fun to watch, imagine how the players feel.

Hockey is the most fun thing there is. Most of us think so, don’t we?

Heck I pay to play, I play hurt, which is almost always, I play when I’m tired at 11 o’clock at night, I need to sit in the hot tub for 2o minutes so I can even walk the day after a game.

My point is someone has to work pretty damn hard to take the fun out of hockey.

Nice work, Count Chocula.

Bob’s legacy. Who knew it would end this way.

• Ian Cobb says:

Brad! can you imagine a player leaving home tomorrow to go to the Bell Center, (good luck tonight honey, say’s his wife) knowing nothing has changed and you are on from coast to coast against the Leafs.
      I can just hear our players after the game in the dressing room being interviewed. Trying to put a positive spin on why we lost again.

20. The Dude says:

Can we stop with the “because Markov ain’t playing BULLSPIT! We just got thumped by a team missing the best player in the world ,the 3rd best player in the world and a TOP 10 Dman so give it a rest!

21. mrhabby says:

so many opinions, so many gm’s including myself…so I get the sense know one really knows what is happening. I cannot see a coaching change since its really early in the season even if the struggles continue. The only way he gets shuffled is habs don’t make the playoffs and molson senses its time for a change. he is or just paid off carbo.
    The idea of putting roy behind any bench is really stupid..sure the guy has emotion but the players of today would likely laugh at his ways and tune him out quickly..

22. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe it’s time Martin juggles the lines a little…

… just saying….

After all is said and done folks, this is still a game that is fun to play! money or no money!
    When the fun is gone, the game is over, money or no money!

It is obvious our team is not playing for fun or each other and that is a management and coaching problem, not a player problem.

• Chuck says:

Good point, Ian. If it’s not fun… make it fun!

• Habfan10912 says:

My expectations for this team were sky high so this team is “no fun” to watch I don’t drink so could you offer some suggestions (other then don’t watch) which would allow me to enjoy this team.

@jimlaplante

• LafleurFan says:

It’s a bit early to give up on this season, but the skillset so far displayed by this edition of Les Boys has some glaring deficiencies.

Gionta’s 48 goal season derived from a blueline attack that had the two Scotties (Stevens, Niedermayer). Also present were large sized defenders (Colin White and better examples but I’m having a memory block).

Camallerie is easily penned in because the greater number of crashers and bangers the opposition has inhibits the generation of skating momentum. He just can’t get off the ground!

Eric Cole is not Bob Gaineyesque but I hope he somehow approaches the former captain’s style of play. Be visible Eric. We don’t necessarily need goals from you but your power forward role should have you resemble Warren Young or Kevin Stevens more than Mario, or for that matter, David Desharnais.

Right now I wish we could trade Pateryn for Grabovski, Bournival for O’Byrne (don’t care that he parties), and Palushaj for D’Agostini.

Just some thoughts from Glumville.

LafleurFan

24. V says:

I passed by a motor cycle accident in my car the other day. The paramedics and police were already there tending to the poor fellow. And as I passed, I took a brief look at the situation and then very consciously turned away – why look at something that is just going to make you feel like shit later?

That’s how I feel about coming here today. With a few exceptions, the articles, posts, etc. are pretty much just blood and gore. I had to take a short peak to validate the situation and will now very consciously turn away (out of respect for all involved) and let the owner, gm, coach and players do what they are hired to do and deal with the victim.

I should point out in passing, that this whole situation could turn out to be the best thing that every happened. It could be a catalyst for a big turnaround. This would not be the first time this group had their backs up against a wall and recovered nicely. I may be completely deluded, but I still think it’s the making of a very good team and I hope there is enough patience to let those that got it here time to recover.

25. Chris Higgins says:

Did you guys see my goal last night? A thing of beauty I can tell you. You guys might get one against the Leafs tomorrow night, but it will require an outburst of offensive talent last seen when I played for the Habs!

26. mike3131 says:

What’s Mike Keenan up to these days?

27. shiram says:

I see a team that has often lapsed into those no-energy periords, they don’t seem motivated and they do not play a team game, and this has been going for more than just this season.
    Geoff Molson sees a team that could win the Stanley Cup in the spring.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

28. piper says:

I refuse to watch habs games and drink Molsons products until Geoff cleans house. Bring back Muller.

29. --Habs-- says:

Gomez only played 2:40. I didn’t notice! :)

30. Neutral says:

Here’s my 1-cent worth

I think some people have it right. a majority of the players don’t want to play for martin. one thing I’ve seen since martin came on board. He doesn’t know how to put lines together. you put your best together and let them gel. get use to each other. you can bring in the best six forwards that ever played this game. if you keep changing them every game or every period it’s not gonna work.
    His best 3 for eacl line are.

max-pac – Pleks – Cammalleri = they should be the 1st line, they’re 1st line players
    Cole – Eller – Gionta = they’re 2nd line players. Eller is a great passer I think he would be good for Cole and Gionta
    Darche – Desharnais – Kostitsyn = they’re 3rd line players. Darche is a work horse. Desharnais is a good playmaker and can score. Kostitsyn can hit and he can score.
    Moen – Gomez – Palushaj/white = they’re 4th line players. not really scores but could play a good defensive role.

anyway that’s my 1-cent worth. not saying they’d win a cup but if they want to play for JM this is as good as it gets. don’t have a 1st line player like max-pac playing on the 3rd line….Try this JM if they wanna play for ya. can’t be any worst than they’re doing right now…Good Luck To The Habs it’s so sad the best of all time looking so bad.

31. DearyLeary says:

Yakupov, Yakupov!

32. habturner says:

Interesting thing said TSN 990; all the time spent in training camp was use to look at the kids, let the veterans rest, not establish lines, etc.,etc,etc,…That means Habs are 3 weeks behind!

• DearyLeary says:

Who said that? When you’re playing 5 games in 6/7 days (pretty sure that was the number) it’s kind of hard to dress your NHL lineup.

That being said, Martin isn’t doing anything to establish lines as it is. It seemed every time someone took a shift they had different linemates (even before Gomez got hurt). Last night was a circus.

• TommyB says:

That is an interesting thing (read, crutch). Maybe even a valid point, but we shall soon see. I would love for those guys to be right.

33. jimmy shaker says:

How do you spell FRAGILE? Thankfully I PVR’d this game and basically fast forwarded through most of this horrible display.

Mayday, mayday, mayday……I repeat, we’re going down!

Boom goes the dynamite!

Shaker

34. savethepuck says:

Good to see we finally have a poll on the right of the page that’s not intended to berate our team or 1 of our players.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Agreed. I was surprised to see the Gooins at the top of the list. I suppose they do provide entertainment with their goonery.
      I voted for the Red Wings – a chance to watch Lidstrom, Datsyuk play their games in person can’t be compared.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s an interesting poll question. Hab-laff games are always full of electricity. Then again, Hab-Bruin tilts are high-voltage.

Detroit and Chicago are western powerhouses who we only get to see once a year.

The Rangers would probably be my last choice but they are a great skating team that usually puts on a good show.

Here’s another original six question:
      How would you rank the six teams overall in terms of their rosters (including prospects)? Montreal would have to be in the bottom half, but would it be 4th, 5th or 6th?

• savethepuck says:

To be honest, because of my love for the Habs and hatred for the Bruins and Leafs, I couldn’t give an objective unbiased opinion. I will say out of the other 3 teams I have them at Detroit, Chicago, and New York

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

35. The Dude says:

So a Arab Spring for the Montreal Canadiens….sound good too me ! Start by boycotting all Molson products!!!

36. I like Beer. It makes me a jolly good fellow, I like Beer.

When I come to Montreal next month, I’m gonna whip these guys into game mode. Don’t worry HIO, I know what I’m doing. :) (hick)

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

Interesting there is still bashing of Gomez when he plays 2min. and 40 seconds.

Lots of veterans on this team to have some blame spread around on, rookies mistakes and a coaching staff that seems to not have this team ready, or set to play a game which suits their strengths.

38. TommyB says:

A few comments on the GM and coach…I don’t think Gauthier has done such a poor job as general manager. I think the group of players we have can be playing much better. This would not be the time for a makeover. Now as far as Jacques Martin is concerned, well, I don’t know too many people (myself included) who were jumping up and down doing cartwheels when the Habs announced him as coach. Many of us felt, however, that, okay let’s give it some time and see what he can do. Then he pulled the wool over everybody’s eyes by marching through the Caps and Pens two years ago in the playoffs. Almost pulled off another one by taking the Bruins to seven games this past spring. Through all of that, the Habs had many injury problems just as they do right now. Yet they played a much more inspired brand of hockey in my opionion. Now something seems wrong. The spark does not seem to be there.

None of us have the luxury of being in the room, or being on the ice for practice, or being on the bench during a game, or being in one of those coach/team meetings watching video and looking at the chalkboard. So we don’t know how the players think about their coach, or if in fact they even give a rat’s ** * at all. I tend to think these guys do care, but they don’t seem to be all that inspired by JM. Martin gives the impression that he does not communicate much with individuals.

Going back to PG, he had the anvil around his neck with Carbo still on the payroll. So canning JM would have been impossible. Nobody burns money that way. Not since you did just that the last two years. I believe Carbo is off the payroll now, but JM was given an extension, so that continues to make the removal of JM highly unlikely. The only way Martin gets replaced is if he stays on in some other capacity while a new coach takes the reins. I get the impression that Martin is a bit too arrogant to go along with that scenario, but I could be wrong. Anyway, who would or could be the replacement becomes the next problem. Whoever it would be, it would almost certainly be a temporary bandaid solution because most coaches who could percievably make a difference are presently employed elsewhere. The Habs would need to wait for a contract to expire, and that does not happen during the season.

So, the screaming for heads to roll at this time is not likely to be heard, or at least, not likely to be acted upon. The best we can hope for as Habs fans is for our team to get healthy again, and start playing with some pride, both individually and for themselves as a team. Half a dozen games into the year, there is lots that can happen.

Good points Tommy, as per your question below regarding Molson, I would like to think he is one of the unique owners who is truly a fan of the team, not just a financially motivated business man.

If indeed his only concern is making money and doesn’t care about wins versus losses that would be a shame. However, I will not assume he is that kind of an owner this early into his foray as owner of Habs.

• TommyB says:

Well you are right, it is too early to put any labels on Geoff Molson. It takes some time, usually, to sort out what you have in your employ. You can look to Buffalo and Terry Pegula for a complete contrast, but that is not a fair comparison because the Sabres, corporately, were in big trouble whereas the Habs will never be. The Habs will always make money, at least as far as filling the building is concerned. If the Habs lose money it would be due to mismanagement at the upper levels, not because of the product on the ice. The seats will always be full. It pains me to say this, but, sounds familiar to a guy living in the shadow of the GTA.

• Ian Cobb says:

Good post Tommy. We have all given Martin plenty of time to prepare “his” hand picked team to play at a competitive level. But what ever the problem is, there is only one fix!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Since when was JM given an extension? He’s on the 3rd year of a 4-year contract with MTL.

I personally think PG has done a good job albeit I am waiting to see how his trading/drafting goes this year to better evaluate his tenure. A failure to draft any potential high-ceiling offensive talent at the draft table in 2012 will be a serious indication he doesn’t get it. SK is the only real loss of those he’s dealt away and Halpern is the 4th-liner he let get away he shouldn’t have but Guimauve was a fat, unmotivated self-entitled punk and O’Byrne only looked good here playing next to Markov, see the Souray/Komisarek Visual Enhancement Syndrome.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

39. DEANDALLEY says:

OK!

Rather than tanking, hoping to get martin fired, why don’t Gio call a players only meeting to get all players on the same page. Then, Gio go to PG & tell him they we will tank every game unless Martin is fired.

What, will PG get rid of the whole team!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

Ahhh the ever popular players only meeting. I am not poking fun at you Dean, I just always get a kick out of the infamous players only meeting. Worst part of that it is usually a death bell ringing that the players are also in full panic mode.

• The Dude says:

Dean,you don’t get it man! It’s not just Martin but the whole AMATEURISH SHOW ON ICE ! This team is and has been so wrong for so long it’s embarrassing! Name another franchise anywhere that purposely goes out and grabs as many small players as possible,lol…People ,just cause they wear the C.H. DON’T MAKE IT RIGHT! Gauthier is a BUM and has to go!

40. slychard says:

There is one good thing that happened last night. Fleury didn’t get the shut-out. Over rated goalie gets on my nerves.

41. --Habs-- says:

BTW- Don’t blame the new D on this situation. Weber, Diaz and Emelin aren’t the problem here! If your going to blame anyone on D blame PK! Our little star needs to come down to earth. Gomez again looks like he’s picked up where he left off last season! If this continues! Bring up some AHL’ers and play them because frankly if I’m going to watch this nonsense and be disgusted night in and out at least I’ll be disgusted for a reason and not 60M worth! Furthermore why is Gionta the smallest player on the ice crashing the net? Martin! On the PP stick Gill in front of that net! 7 games in on Saturday and it ain’t working, try something different. Get some size in front of opposing goalies on the PP.

42. fun police says:

Let’s not get too carried away with doom and gloom. there are a few things that are bothersome about this years team when compared to the past few. I’m beginning to side with those who want to see a change at the head coach position. I’m not a fan of watching darche get more ice in key goal scoring situations than Cole. I cringe when i see Moen out there with two skilled players. Moen, regardless if he had 5 goals up to this point would still finish the year with 6. If trying the same thing over and over again but expecting different results is the definition of insanity, then JM my friend, it is time to see a shrink.

43. slamtherimtim says:

Bob Mckenzie on the 990 , sounds just like martin , blaming all the players , its the players ,

• DEANDALLEY says:

Bob is a Fugly Fat Slob!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• RGM says:

Yeah, and your point? If Erik Cole is 10 feet away from the goalie and gets a clean shot, it should be a goal right? If you’re on the power play 4 times you should muster more than 6 shots right? We can analyze all we like about the coach and his game plans, but whatever the case is the players are not executing it at all.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

44. --Habs-- says:

I’ve always said this! What has Martin ever done outside of Ottawa where he inherited a defined team already capable of winning and he couldn’t complete the challenge with the best team in the NHL…. That speaks miles! Forget his his teeter tooter seasons in Florida and Montreal and the only thing that’s kept him in the position here is the last 2 playoff runs going 2 rounds 2 seasons ago and dancing with Boston for 7 games + OT’s last season. Telling you right now we’ll be lucky to make the playoffs. A few more losses and the climb will be too high. Habs don’t have the team to win 10 – 12 in a row to get themselves out of a bind. Hate to say it but the seasons almost all over. Another 4 – 5 games like this and its all over!

45. CanadienBoy says:

This teams was better with the Wiz ,Hammer and Helpen good veterans who could put up with Martin napoleon complex

• nellis13 says:

this team has no toughness. they’re better suited for the ice capades than hockey.

• SmartDog says:

Good point. These guys added stability. IF Gionta is the engine, these guys were thick winter tires. Most of what’s left are All Seasons – good in the right conditions, but not helpful in heavy weather.

Even Mara would add needed umph to this team (and I don’t really like Mara).

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

46. sims says:

i think the #1 issue with this team so far this season is the passing. how many tape to tape passes have you seen so far? even little drop passes are in the recipients skates.

oh and the invisible pp, d and neutral zone turnovers and not being able to hit the net are also issues

• CanadienBoy says:

How many time last night players went behind Price net with the puck untouched

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree. We can’t get out of our zone and a lot of that starts with our inexperienced D. we have way to many rookies. we should have kept the hammer to help us out cause we have way too many kids on the back end and it is showing.

Our offense has also been pretty bad starting with the powerplayer. I think this team is better than what they are playing but I think they are digging themselves and early hole which may prove costly later in the season as the east is getting very competitive

47. SmartDog says:

I’d LIKE to be humble,
    and I’d RATHER be wrong,
    but the TRUTH IS what I’ve said all along:

“MOST OF THE GUYS WE’VE GIVEN AWAY ARE BETTER THAN THE GUYS WE’VE KEPT OR GOTTEN IN RETURN.”

And that includes COACHES. Write that on PG’s tombstone when he is fired (soon), and we have to watch the Habs start rebuilding (again).

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

48. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

I’m not ready to panic yet…

This was a case of not being prepared, of underestimating your adversary. the whole team was probably expecting that game to be 2 easy point with the Pens Roster in front of them.

The Pens came well prepared and remained disciplined… We all saw Mat Cooke taking it on the chin and staying out of the box last night… That’s astounding. They are the best coached and best prepared team in the league, and have been since 09.

Habs were well prepared against the Sabres and will be well prepared for the Bruins too.

• SmartDog says:

I’ve said this all along too: it’s the coaches job to prepare his team. If Martin gets credit for the 7-game dumping of the Pens and Caps (even if it sounds like it was mostly Halak and some good gelling in the room) he gets the stick for games when the Habs don’t look prepared. There were a lot of games like that last year. You’d think after 10 million games or whatever, he’d know how to do this.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Captain aHab says:

There is simply no excuses for an underperforming team taking a better team for granted. With the way they’ve played so far, they have no reason to think ANY game will be easy. This shows me a team that is unmotivated and you unfortunately can’t fire all players.

49. fire the coach! fire the water boy! fire the zamboni guy!

but serious….anybody remember when we had Woywika? he’d look good on our d-line…thanks JM and PG…

———-
    hip-check!

50. JFriedman says:

I have a solution…. FIRE MARTIN!!!

51. G-Man says:

When Gionta and DD are the only 2 crashing (like someone that small actually can crash) the net, what do we expect except failure?
    Cole, AK, Pac, Moen, Eller did not go anywhere near the Pens net last night.
    For all the JM bashers, I’d like to see a few of the heartless players the Habs have shipped out. NHL is all about work ethic and consistency. The Habs have too many passengers on too many nights along with a D that plays like it’s against the rules to be physical. Price’s AHL-like start hasn’t helped much either, but the team HAS to score 3 a night. Anything less is unacceptable.

Interesting days upon us, have to believe Geoff Molson is watching this and having some questions. I don’t think Molson is launching any new products to keep him occupied elsewhere. Will be curious to watch the game Saturday and how the crowd treats the team.

Obviously it is early in the season, but the promise that has been shown early this season is minimal at best.

• TommyB says:

Are the Habs losing money? That’s pretty much the only thing that catches an owner’s attention. Why would Geoff Molson be any different?

• Storm Man says:

It is a very sad day when a great fan of the Habs(Ian) comes on here and says Lord Martin has to go… I have being saying this from the first day I was on this site… And people like Timo and a few others were told by most on here to grow up ect….. How does the crow taste today?

• Habfan10912 says:

Storm. Some of us are a bit slower then others. Its time.

@jimlaplante

• Chrisadiens says:

Congrats, the Habs suck, but hey you were right. That must make you so happy.

So, how do the Habs fix this now? Who replaces JM? Do we trade everybody?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Storm Man says:

How can I be happy with the team I love and cheer for playing like they have? The bottom line is the game has passed Lord Martin by it is not the 90’s style of hockey anymore and he just can’t or won’t change his style to fit the skill he has on this team.. I’m just waiting for him to leave price in nets for 6 or more goals and pulls him with a few mins left in the game and Price walks up to him and says Im done here in Montreal this was my last game… Martin has to go or this team does not make the playoffs this year…

• The Dude says:

I with you on the CROW eating alot of fans are doing but lets remember they are our family ,so lets hope for them the Crow taste like chicken ,lol

• yea…getting close to the panic button.

———-
      hip-check!

There’s a saying that when the watering hole gets smaller the animals start looking at each other differently. I only mention that after reading some of the posts from the past 24 hours.

For me, the most hilarious notion has to be the one where Patrick Roy takes over the reigns of the Montreal Canadiens. Here is a man who has no experience at the professional level and has a track record of being emotionally unstable. Some might say he even has a few screws loose. Winning two Cups and being able to speak French doesn’t necessarily make you Scotty Bowman or Toe Blake.

If Roy ventures down to the NHL watering hole, he will be eaten alive by the likes of Paul Holmgren, George McPhee, Doug Wilson and Ken Holland.

Sam Pollock’s cardinal rule was to never make a move from a position of weakness. Now is not the time to panic.

• HardHabits says:

Let’s hope management doesn’t panic either.

• Cam_1 says:

I disagree…Patrick is exactly what we need…someone who will yell at the players..someone who is passionate about winning. Someone with emotion unlike mr statue Martin. Someone who actually cares about the legacy and tradition of the team. Some one who actually cares about WINNING !!!! Unlike Molson who could care less cuz they are laughing all the way to bank regardless if the team sucks or not !!!!

• Captain aHab says:

Yelling at kids is one thing. Yelling at millionaires will likely mean they’ll tune you out. How many Starley Cups has Tortorella won? You need a motivator with guys who have little to get motivated about.

• 24 Cups says:

I see what you are saying about Martin but you have to remember that very few coaches have been successful at the NHL level without first paying their dues. I also believe that Roy would only come here if he was handed the double portfolio.

As for Roy caring about the Hab legacy, all I can see is a man who quit on his team. Roy’s ego is twice the size of the Hab legacy.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great point 24. But we don’t have a Sam P running the organization. PG will try to salvage his job at some point this season and make a coaching change. Hope its a temporary one to finish season. Cunny or some other temporary plug in (Gainey).

@jimlaplante

• JF says:

Steve – I agree. The knee-jerk reaction for teams in the Habs’ situation is to panic and fire the coaching staff. I don’t think this is the answer, but if the team is as bad on Saturday as they looked last night, I can see it happening.

It’s becoming obvious we were all wearing rose-coloured glasses over the summer. The team is not very good, and has probably been over-achieving the last couple of years. At the same time, some poor decisions were made in the off-season. Leaving aside the Markov situation, two obvious blunders were letting Hamrlik go and not signing a big, tough, faceoff-winning fourth-line centre. Both those mistakes could have been avoided.

At the same time, I don’t think the team is anywhere near as bad as they’ve looked in half the six games played so far. Against Toronto, they collapsed after a strong first period. Against Calgary, they were dominant until they were derailed by a string of penalties, upon which they disappeared. Last night was the worst. They seemed unprepared and totally unmotivated. Looking back to last year, it seems there was a disproportionately large number of games of which the same was true. Some of this has to be on the coaching staff. It is their job to prepare the team before every game. If they are unable to do it, they will indeed have to go, which of course leaves the problem of who to replace them with. There aren’t a lot of possible candidates out there.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – A lot of Montreal’s problems begin and end with the inability of Markov to start the season. Another story for another time.

I have always supported Hamrlik, a man who was brought in to give us a solid 2nd paring and landed up taking Markov’s spot for two years. No wonder his gas tank was empty in April. Having said that, I would have hit the roof if Gauthier gave him a two-year, +35 contract for 7M. We had no choice but to let him walk. Especially in light of the Spacek cap hit.

(Two years from now people will be going on about the Cole contract in the same manner).

54. Brinkley says:

This HABS team doesn’t need just a coaching change (the real coach left when someone saw the value of Kirk Muller).

The problems go way deeper than coaching – the Habs need a GM who can take this entire organization in the right direction – much better drafting of talent and savvy player trading – rather than trading away draft choices for a temporary patch job and trading away young talent who prosper elsewhere!

A close analysis of Gauthier’s body of work as a NHL GM does not suggest that he is capable of building a competitive team.

Dale Tallon built a Cup winner in Chicago (even though Stan Bowman got credit for his work) – I assume this Quebecer do the same for the HABS?

55. arcosenate says:

Who did we get for McDonagh again?

56. CanadienBoy says:

Habs get beat by solid fore checking that,s all again and again

57. slychard says:

It struck me reading Hall Gill’s comments on “not doing things the right way” they beat the habs’ as a team the way the habs beat them 2 years ago in the playoffs. It’s not karma. It comes from discipline, hard work, perseverance. That ‘underdog’ mentality. Yeah, they heard so much good things about themselves during the off season on how much improved they were that they believed it and forgot that their Cinderella back against the wall mentality type play suits them best. Perhaps once this sinks in we can see a hockey team at play once again.

• Captain aHab says:

Not if you put pluggers on your top two lines and change your lines every shift. When we got Cole, I thought this meant the end of Moen on the top lines. Boy was I wrong. I wasn’t expecting Cole to pot 30 but I was hoping to see him get the time to work some chemistry with our top centermen. Now it seems the only chemistry he’ll work on this year will be selecting the proper anti-depressant.

58. habsfan reduxit says:

… a lot of us are critical about JM’s work this season. However, although I haven’t read it here (I may have missed it) it seems to me the loss of Kirk Muller is a big factor in the team’s shaky start.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

59. awesomerino says:

I don’t buy that this team doesn’t have the talent. I’d even go so far as to say it’s an objectively false assessment.

I do, however, think that these players have given up on JM. His vaunted “system” is a waste of the personnel at his disposal. And the thing that’s especially galling about that is that it means I actually agree with Tony Man-Diva Marinaro about something other than cookies.

I only hope that PG and/or GM have the stones and foresight to do something now, while the season is eminently salvageable, rather than allowing the team to toil in the gaping a$$hole of mediocrity for another month.

60. Captain aHab says:

Even with a loss on Saturday, they won’t fire JM. As a GM, you don’t fire your coach just before a set of tough games. If JM is to be fired, it’ll be after the Bruins B2B games. The schedule isn’t bad after those games until we play the Bruins again three weeks later. That would give a new/interim coach more time to get some Ws against weaker opposition. Cause face it, once you fire a coach as a GM, you are the next target in the crosshairs. If your choice for interim coach fires off 4 losses in a row, good luck.

Now about JM; you can’t fault him for his scorers not scoring but the personnel choices he is making are very suspect and his manlove for Moen, Darche, and Engqvist is unhealthy. Cole isn’t exactly the second coming of Guy Lafleur but can he be left on a line for more than one shift? The constant line juggling, especially after games when the Habs played quite well, is stupid.

I still don’t get how putting pluggers on the ice for the last 2 minutes is a message to the underperforming guys you are benching when the pluggers themselves played poorly. I mean Engqvist as a 6th forward is a lesson? Might as well leave Price in there and tell him to rush up ice and stand in front of Fleury. Doing what he did last night, JM might as well have taken his team off of the ice and abdicated.

This team showed no pride yesterday and that is at least partly on the coach. I don’t know how many times I saw guys stopping short of the boards and pokechecking the puck instead of going in there and fighting for it. It was pathetic. Bag skate today….now THAT is a lesson.

The scary part is who would replace JM. Bob Hartley? If he’s the answer, then we’re asking the wrong question. Patrick Roy? I’d like to believe he’ll be good but I have my doubts. I am a francophone and want the team to hire the best guy, not the best French guy. There is no salary cap for coaches and this team rolls in money – there are no excuses for skimping on these positions. None. We should have one of the best front offices by far. Enough with the excuses. Hell if they’re gonna go francophone only, I wouldn’t mind them taking a stab at Martin Raymond, the guy mentioned in the above article.

• CanadienBoy says:

Hell bring back Carbo and Muller

• slychard says:

How many rookie coaches the habs went through in the last 15 years? No that’s not the way to go. I know. Two of ‘em ended up coaching the cup finalists last year. But we need someone with experience. I mentioned Gainey on the last thread. Why not him? He’ll get the respect. Beleive you me. They’ll listen.

• Captain aHab says:

I’m sorry but Gainey is yesterday’s news. His coming back after firing Carbo didn’t do much; he looked tired to me and I can’t blame him with what happened to his wife and daughter. Give a young guy a shot as an interim coach and see how he does. If he pans out, then keep him longer term.

• slychard says:

You don’t think the time away has helped him? I mentioned options on the last thread and I fell on Gainey. All my options were based on interim basis. Do you actually believe a young coach would take this position on interim basis? Aside from Carbo, I see no one. As an immediate remedy to the Habs’ situation I fell on Gainey. He’s still under contract with the team as a consultant. I’m sticking to that.
          P.S. I like your screen name. Very original. ;-0

61. Cam_1 says:

After the Buffalo loss everyone was saying if we play like that every game we will win more games than we lose. My question was then and still is now…how the hell are we gonna play like that every game. We can’t play like that 10% of the time. Last nite is evidence we can’t play like everygame or every 2nd game. Hall Gill was quoted as saying its not time to panic yet. ..and how about now ? Time to panic yet ? The team stinks ….and it starts at the top. Gainey made bone head moves (Gomez being the worst) PG is no better and Jacque Martin..what can I say…no emotion…no skill ..no talent..no brains…he sucks big time. Molson I know you are rich and don’t have a concern in the world…but please please please…for the love of god…clean house up top…and now ! Like someone said this team has been overacheiving for so long…its not hard to see they should have not even made the play offs the last two years. PLEASE MOLSON BROTHERS…….WAKE THE F UP ! IT’S TIME !!!!!

PS: We will lose to the Leafs ..1-5-1. You heard it here first !!!

62. Habfan10912 says:

It’s a systematic problem. Fireing Captain Crunch may get an emotional positive reaction but the problem is larger then just that. Small weak centers, poor face-off results, lack of scoring 5 on 5, poor personnel decisions and more. These issues were disguised by great goaltending and efficient power play the past few seasons. This organization needs an overhaul and PG needs to go too.

@jimlaplante

63. Sharks9 says:

I’ve been patient so far but this is ridiculous! If they don’t win on Saturday against Toronto JM HAS to be fired.

If not, start trading our veterans for draft picks so we can get something decent from this year’s draft. We might even get the 1 overall pick.

25 before 14

64. slamtherimtim says:

this sucks big time , i am now hoping we keep losing so matin can get canned like a brunswick sardine , you can tell the players dont want to play for him , seeing gainey there is getting my hopes up , not because he is any better but he has better communication skills then the 2 dummies there now

And people thought I was being pessimistic when I said the Habs would get 3-5 points in the 7 remaining games of October.

Cole, Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Plekanec, Markov

Half the Habs salary cap is chewed up by players who are either:

too soft
    too old
    too useless
    too short
    all of the above

No Play-offs this season or next. And because the Habs owners and operators listen to the fans, no lottery draft picks either.

Maybe move the Habs to Hamilton where they can at least tank and hire an English coach.

66. BobDobbs says:

One thing that never made great sense is how the habs can pick it up so much in the playoffs, considering small teams get more easily tired as the year winds on. I cut Martin some slack for being a great playoff coach, which I think he is, but it’s turning out his regular-season coaching may be too great a problem to ignore…

67. theflower says:

As I said yesterday Ian, it’s a sad day and it has been a sad day since these two buffoons have been here. I really hope that some sort of change is made in mgmt, but will the mediocrity end even with new management. That is my concern.

68. BobDobbs says:

“Wanna feel even worse?
    Ryan McDonagh (an OT winner), Roman Hamrlik, Mikhail Grabovski, Ryan O’Byrne and Christopher Higgins scored goals Thursday night.”

Are you SERIOUS? I’m so sick and tired of all the self-depreciating headlines. It’s not HEALTHY to take sports personally when your team wins or loses. Please, I beg you (admins), let this website be more emotionally neutral.

69. Pancho says:

I think the D lost that one for us last night. Sloppy, scrammbly. Bad clearing passes. It was a mess.

I think we’re a little too young and inexperienced on the back end.

Just had to say this again on here, very sad situation in Montreal now!
    The amount of talent that Martin has dismissed from our roster over the past 3 years, and is playing well on other clubs, tells a large story how he handles players.

George Laraque said that players in the room do not like playing for Jacques Martin. Maybe so, I don’t know. All I know is that nothing is going to change here without a major philosophy swing in direction.

Very sad when one wants to see an NHL good competitive hockey game, one has to switch to Toronto. Does this remind anyone of the years Gauthier and Martin spent at the bottom in Ottawa!

I will have to find another hobby for this winter.

• slamtherimtim says:

this is just like the days in Ottawa , great players with no success , they blamed the players then ,and now the same is happening here , they system does not work , the problem with JM is he wont accept it , and make the changes needed ,

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree Ian. I am thinking about taking up ice fishing.

@jimlaplante

71. slychard says:

I spoke a fraction of a second too soon. Sorry Boone. Who’s got the kool aid?

72. slamtherimtim says:

true dat , but i believe bob would have adjusted better to the situation , when things wernt working , lets just hope something good happens next , cause a lose on saturday will get the rioters started

73. Bill J says:

Panic or draft lottery celebration ?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

Which francophone player would the Habs draft #1 overall this upcoming year?

75. Bill J says:

Clou YaQuePou ?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

76. naweed235 says:

i’d add cammi to that list! the guy is a game changer when he is on his game and not coming back from an injury…

77. Ozmodiar says:

1. gotta keep him for depth reasons until salary can be used elsewhere or a trade can be worked out.
    2. hmmm…too soon. at this rate, in a couple of weeks. if they turn it around, it’s moot.
    3. next year.
    4. anyone can be had for the right price, but i agree with your list of who to build around. I’d include the newbies too – Cole, Diaz, Emelin. Maybe keep one of Gio/Cammy to round out the top 6.

78. G-Man says:

Yeah, Shiloh. F!ck defence! Back check? F!ck that, too! How about we line up all the Habs and the other team’s blue line and wait there? Gimme a break. Uptempo bs.